Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour on this Monday, Best and Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 2: What you saw that you liked you didn't like. Yukon Husky's head coach Dan Hurley will join us on the program. If you miss last hour, Gino Oriema joined us fresh from his twelfth national championship. You can always go back listen to it on the app. Danpatrick dot com eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show. The Yukon women roll to a national title tonight. It's Florida against Houston. Florida is a slight favorite, and Alex Ovechkin passes Wayne Gretzky the same number of games that it took Waino to get to his number. Ovechkin breaks the record, and the Blue Jays quietly give Vlad Guerrero Junior five hundred million dollars. Not sure how you quietly give somebody five hundred million dollars, but it seemed like that they were Negotia for a while. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app, and we say good morning to our radio affiliates around the country, best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked, you didn't like. I've been keeping an eye on this story because everybody is focusing on the Brotherly Shove, and I think the commissioner wants to get it out of the game. That's why they tabled it. They're going to vote on it again in May. I think he's going to do sort of some background negotiating arm twisting here to make sure that they and maybe you modify it, or maybe just says, you know what, we never should have allowed this. We're going to go back to the way it was in two thousand and five. The other thing is the league office ask the Detroit Lions to propose playoff seating based on record, regardless of a divisional championship. The commissioner wants this, so the commissioner the teams have to make the request. Here's the commissioner saying to the Lions. Reportedly, I would like for you to make this request. According to multiple sources, it became clear during last week's league meetings that Roger Goodell wants to eliminate the guaranteed home playoff Game four. Somebody, if you have a losing record and win your division, or your record is not as good as the team that you're going to be facing. According to Pro Football Talk, one source in the room for the session said the commissioner became visibly irritated at the resistant to the measure. The goal is to make more late season games interesting, but there's no guarantee that will happen. In twenty twenty four, for example, the final game of the regular season between the Vikings and Lions would have had lower stakes since the loser still would have host to the playoff game the following weekend. The Lion's proposal was tabled to May. Tabled is good in a way that if you want to wait another month and then you go, oh, that got passed. Do I think this is going to get passed, just like the Tush push. Yes, I do. Yes, And according to Pro Football Talk, the compromise would be that divisional winners with sub five hundred records won't host a wildcard game, and other possibility is to recede after the wildcard round.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's what they should do. After the wildcard round. Just recede. Be fair to the teams that played well during the regular season and your record should count. Now, I know it's not balanced with who you're facing in your division, and the NFC West may play the AFC East. I understand all of that, but I still think if you had thirteen wins but you're not hosting a playoff game and you're hosting somebody who had ten wins or they're hosting you, I don't think that's right. But the commissioner wants to recede. But the fact that he would say to the lines, hey you guys, you guys must be bothered about that playoff format, right, No, no, no, we're all right. You know, we take care of business. No, no, no, you're not happy with it? Oh that yeah, that's right, we're not happy. What do he want us to do? I want you guys to bring this up. Maybe we could vote on it, and let's recede in the tournament. Okay, sure, And all of a sudden you bring it up. Then all of a sudden, it's like, you know what, we're gonna table this until May next order of business. Here, the toush push the idea of like you know, and not right now, table it. Let's table this. You know what, I don't know that I have the patience for this right now. Why don't we just kick that can down the road? A minute stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Let me see James in New Mexico. Joins us, Hi, James, what's on your mind? By the way, I got DraftKings odds to win March Madness next year, just to let you know, we haven't even crowned this year's champ with the men's and I've got the odds to win the national championship for next year. Given the fact that Duke is going to lose three, They're going to lose four of their starters, I'm guessing, but they're the favorites to win the national championship next year. Bennett's Houston, Connecticut, b YU and Purdue. Hey James, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey Darren, thanks for getting the call. I was just calling to see in all of sports, has there.
Speaker 5: Been anything coaching wise as dominant as Gino and what he's done. And it may not be fair to judge across all sports, but just so impressive. I don't know if we'll really see anything like it ever.
Speaker 2: Again, well, you've had and you have to go back in sports what John Wooden did, what ten titles, twelve years, what Red Arbach and the Celtics did as well. But yeah, modern day and even Gino addressed this that he has players who stay there for three four years. Nobody's transferring. He lost one player, what is it, Deleadon and she was a Hall of Fame player and she went to Delaware, but she went to Yukon and she was a wonderful player, but she didn't want to for whatever reason. She was homesick and she went to Delaware. Still became a great WNBA player. But they don't lose players and they're staying. And as Gino said, look, you would have had one and donners with Breonna Stewart. I mean, go down the lit Maya Moore, he was Diana Tarrossa. They'd be one and done. But they're staying four years. So it's a decided advantage for him in the sport that he coaches in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, poling, he's won twelve of the last thirty NCAA tournaments. That's nutty, twelve of thirty.
Speaker 2: But he's been in twenty four final fours, twenty four uh Lucas in Texas. Hi, Luke, what's on your mind today? Hey d Ay, good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 7: Say on a weekend like this, there's nothing but best. I have a best of the weekend, and who had.
Speaker 3: The best weekend?
Speaker 7: In that hour one pole question. My best of the weekend has to be Houston and Duke Q Town as one of your day has to refer to it just a great game. I thought it was so telling that Helvin Sampson said when they made this three pointer to make it a three point deficit, that's when they knew they had a game. It just shows the telling, you know, the thing you've been hammering home for such a long time, the amount of emphasis that experience and being together as a team for multiple years has over a roster full of super talented freshmen. And then who had the best weekend? I'm actually gonna go off the board and throw a far man, mister Marvin Prince. You know it's easy to feel, you know, a little disappointed that your Yukon Husky's lost a great game to Florida in the second round in the men's program, and I guess he just has to wipe his tears with parade.
Speaker 3: Confetti from the women's team.
Speaker 7: So you know, life is life is good for one of our one of our day nets.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna I'm gonna throw him up, all right, Well, thank you, Lucas. Would you have rather had the men win a national championship? Go three pete or that the women win a national championship again?
Speaker 8: Marvin taking the women because page it never won. And like you said, it's been nine years. That's a long time. That's the longest drought for Yukon. It's a long time since Gino's first national championship from his last championship so yesterday, that was the longest drought of his career since he started winning national championships.
Speaker 2: Here is Cooper Flagg, the Duke forward, talking about his final season.
Speaker 5: I mean, it was an incredible season, incredible people, incredible relationships that I'm going to have for the rest of my life.
Speaker 3: Didn't and the way we wanted to, but still an incredible year.
Speaker 2: And then here's his coach, John Shier on what happened.
Speaker 3: Well, it's hard to process still.
Speaker 9: And you know, I thought our guys did an incredible job the whole game, and you know, I thought we had some good looks didn't finish. You have to give Houston a ton of credit. And then still even with that, you know we have the lead and with under a minute ago, and I couldn't be more proud.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not about to hang our head. I mean, this is part of it.
Speaker 9: You got to you gotta handle the wins and you got to handle the losses too. And in a moment like this, you know we're this close, and you know we felt we were the best team. The best team tonight was Houston.
Speaker 2: You're up six with a little over thirty seconds to go with the ball and you're Duke. That's collapse, that's claps. But you can say, if you look at this a forced collapse because Houston, there's only so much they can do. If Duke doesn't turn the ball over, If Duke makes their shots, if they hit a free throw, then it doesn't it doesn't matter what Houston does. It takes two to collapse, two to tango. It takes two to collapse. We'll talk to Dan Hurley, the men's coach, coming up here in a little bit. The Lakers had a win against Oklahoma City, and they had a great night shooting, but the reason why I bring this up with the win, the Lakers have now won four their last five and they're in third place in the Western Conference. So if the playoffs started today or let's say Sunday, they would host the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first round. The Thunder had the number one seed in the West. But the Lakers proved, at least for a game, that we can go toe to toe with the best team in basketball right now. But they did shoot the ball extremely well. Jake and Buffalo Hi, Jake, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: CDP?
Speaker 10: That's North Luica, no worse, but the best was my utskin. It's really cool to see that being able to witness history. I wasn't old enough to seecrets get the time, so getting lots of that sharing it with my kids was pretty cool. And a stat around that the lowly Buffalo Sabers are tied with the Jets for the longest active playoff drought and since the last time the Sabers had made the playoffs, Ovechkin had scored four hundred and ninety four.
Speaker 3: Of its goal.
Speaker 2: Staut of the Day brought to you by Benini America, the official trading cards to the Dan Patrick Schew who knew the Sabers were going to be catching strays today with Alex Ovechkin Terry in Rochester, Hi, Terry, what's on your mind?
Speaker 4: How are you doing today?
Speaker 2: Darren Good Terry?
Speaker 4: Long time I wanted to I've been one to say this, man, I couldn't. This is the first time I've been on this year. Man that that Minnesota record was a perfect example of what I've been talking about. I don't think you should, you know, really, you know, have a home field game if you're the division winner. But I would say it is if you have three to four, we can make it three. If you got three more wins than the division winner, you should have to go to the house. I think they would agree with that more than just oh we got a better record.
Speaker 3: So we go to their house.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Dan Well, I'm okay with receding, I am, But then we talked about that with college football, it's tougher with college football with the playoffs. To reced I think they got to take out the automatic qualifiers, the aqs, and let's just go buy record instead of you won the Big Twelve or you won the Mountain West. You should not get an automatic berth into the second round. But with the NFL playoffs, I'm fine with that. You want to reseed it great, you win your division, how many wins do you have? I think this will make the games later in the season mean more because you know you could host a playoff game. You know, if you're in Minnesota and you go, we're not going to be able to have the number one seed. Detroit will, but we're going to be able to host a playoff game. I think the added importance, and especially when we go to eighteen games. I just don't want to have a team have nothing to play for in the final three weeks of the season, and if you have to make sure that you have the best record, then you know, maybe these games will mean a little bit more.
Speaker 6: Yes, pulling while the NFL is making tweaks to the playoffs. Would you guys be in favor of this? And I have not seen it pose or suggested a team with a losing record cannot play in the playoffs. If you have a losing record, you don't qualify for the playoffs. Would you guys be in favor of that?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: Really, no, it doesn't happen often. Twenty ten Seattle. I think fourteen. It's happened like five times the past fifteen years.
Speaker 2: I don't think you should host a playoff game if you win your division and you have a losing record.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, marm, because that means you would have to get rid of divisions. What good is it being a division champion if you can't get into the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but receding it, I'm fine with that. I don't have an issue with that. Eddie in New York, hy Eddie, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: A five eleven, two, twenty five, first time, longtime big fan. So I'm calling about the dynasty gino Oriema twelve championships in thirty years, Penn State Wrestling twelve championships in fifteen years. Cale Sanderson.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you, Eddie. Yeah, it's different. I mean, it's a secondary sport. They're really good at it. There's five schools that are really good at it. It feels like year in and year out, kind of decade in and out where you know you're gonna have Oklahoma State is always good and Penn State's always good, and I always always good. Uh, but yeah, there's there's a few more schools involved with this that are playing at a high level with the other sports. So yes, you do have I'm sure somebody's going to bring up, you know, waterpolo or baseball, and you know, fine, great, you can recognize them. It's just different when you're talking about different sports. All right, we'll take a break. Dan Hurley, the men's basketball coach at you come, will join us. Coming up next here, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the store in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More of your phone calls coming up eight seven to seven three DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dpshow. Twenty twenty six March Madness title odds according to DraftKings next year Duke Houston Yukon BYU and Purdue. He's the head coach for the men's team at Connecticut, two time defending national champs. At least until tomorrow or late tonight. Dan Hurley joining us on the program. Good to talk to you again, coach, did you watch the games? The semi final games?
Speaker 13: I did, unlike uh, you know, unlike after the twenty two season where you know where where we had that first round exit and I ignored the rest of the tournament. Uh. I, I've watched as many of the games as as I possibly could since we've been eliminated.
Speaker 2: You lose to Florida second round, But do you take any solace with the fact that Florida is here playing for a national championship?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 13: I think it's a Uh, it's more honorable that, you know, kind of at the run we've been on, uh, you know where where we kind of fell at the hands of uh, you know, of a championship level team that's, you know, one game away from experiencing the championship glory. So yeah, I mean if we would have lost to like a lower seeded team or a team that, you know, it was not of the the championship caliber, I guess, uh, it feels more honorable. Uh you know, have a one thirteen in a row in that tournament. Uh, in the fashion we did, you.
Speaker 3: Know, to have it all uh, you know, to have it all.
Speaker 13: End at the hands of of the Gators, There's there's probably some honor in that.
Speaker 2: How do you explain what happened with Duke and Houston at the end of that game.
Speaker 13: I mean, I mean, I can't you know, imagine, you know, just kind of well, no, I can't imagine you know what what John and his.
Speaker 3: Staff and those players are feeling.
Speaker 13: I mean, it felt like, you know that they were the best team, you know, the best team in the country this year. I think their roster, the way they put it together was, uh, it was meticulous.
Speaker 3: I think the.
Speaker 13: Quality at both ends of the court, you know, was they were playing basketball at an incredibly high level, you know, with high level NBA players, But just the fact that they were not in enough close games, I think, you know, I think the fact that they dominated so much throughout conference play, I think, you know, the separation between them and the other teams and their conference really hurt them. When they got to those end of game situations where they haven't had to shoot a lot of pressure, want to pressure free throws, one on ones, they had to ind down the ball versus full denial. With a three point lead or a one point lead, they were you know that they were in a type of game that Houston had been in a bunch, you know, because of you know, playing in the Big twelve.
Speaker 3: Afforded them more opportunities, and I think that came back to haunt them.
Speaker 2: I brought this up a long time ago. I brought it up. Subsequently, you go back to you and l V when you and LV blew out Duke, your brother's team, and then that following year and we thought they were invincible. And I remember talking about you want to see a team play a close game. You just want to have that feeling you know what you're doing. And this isn't all on the freshman at Duke, but still you got young players, and you got a veteran Houston team, and sometimes freshmen act like freshmen, no matter how great they are. But as a coach, what role would you play in a situation like that?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think you know some of the I would say the situational things that you experience in a you know, with that true game pressure, you know, and and you know, Duke goes in as the favorite, just kind of like we were last year, where you know, we're playing at such a high level. They had, uh, you know, dominated the first you know, four rounds of the tournament. Obviously, the Arizona game ended up being an eight point game or an eight point win. But you know, at times in that game, they they they look dominant. But I just think that they You could practice situational basketball all you want, but you cannot simulate the game pressure that you feel, you know, when your inbounder has got to run the baseline and throw a pass through a narrow window to a player being face guarded by a wolf. I mean, Houston's got some wolves out there, you know, making it really tough on you.
Speaker 3: And you know, for us.
Speaker 13: Last year, we weren't very good in close games, you know, the games during the course of the year. I don't think we were great in one possession games the last two years. But there was a window I think for duking that game to keep that game double figures, keep that game twelve fourteen, back down to ten, get it back up to fifteen, you know, but they just they stop scoring.
Speaker 2: The difference in coaching a freshman and coaching a junior, what's the biggest difference.
Speaker 13: I just think, you know, repetitions, game experiences, you know, just having been in those positions you know before, you know, more practices under their belt, more uh, you know, more life experiences. You know, just you know a little bit more you know maturity a little more. Uh, you know, worldliness a little bit. You know, just a little bit more, you know, prepared to have experienced more failures, have experienced uh, you know, different types of successes, just a little little uh, a little more.
Speaker 2: Grizzled talking to Dan Hurley, You're still the reigning national champs at least for twelve more hours.
Speaker 3: That's why I got.
Speaker 13: I'm wearing it today, Dan, I'm wearing it.
Speaker 2: Uh. There's a trophy behind you. There's a pair of shoes on top of that trophy. Whose shoes are those?
Speaker 3: Oh? J R. Smith? Uh? You know j R. Swish?
Speaker 13: That was my first great player that played for me at at say Benleix and uh the first I went to the NBA out of high school, so was Uh.
Speaker 3: That was his rookie year shoe with the hornets.
Speaker 2: Okay, any other memorabilia that might surprise us?
Speaker 14: Uh, I got, Well, I think a lot of people like the underwear over Those are my underwear. Not many men have their underwear on a plaque in their office.
Speaker 3: Uh. Obviously the gladiator health that explains a lot.
Speaker 13: About me right there, the lion head behind it.
Speaker 2: You haven't gotten in trouble in a while have you.
Speaker 3: No, I've I've got a lot of self aware. Well I don't have a lot of self I have enough.
Speaker 13: I have enough self awareness and situational awareness that I skipped San Antonio, and uh I decided not to parade myself around the final four and to uh, you know, to take a break, to let people have a little bit of a break.
Speaker 3: For me, and then uh, you know, just to you know, reflect on the.
Speaker 13: Year, the run we've been on, and uh, obviously, uh it was the first real chance Dan I've had really since we were eliminated for the tournament twenty two, you know, through to that Florida loss in the tournament.
Speaker 3: You know, your lot, my life's been a whirlwind.
Speaker 13: Uh of some incredible moments and and some moments that uh you know are art is uh arnest art is great.
Speaker 2: But I remember when you turned down the Lakers and we talked and you said you weren't mature enough yet for a job like that. Your words, Yeah, all right, how do you mature?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: What do you what do you what are are you doing anything to mature?
Speaker 3: You know that That's a tough one.
Speaker 13: I think Number one, I'll say this, A lot of I feel like, the biggest mistake I made this year was not being able to uh, you know, put together uh and develop a championship team. You know, I when I look at this year for me, you know that that's the thing that I regret the most is that I wasn't able to uh, you know, to put together another team that was could experience championship glory. You know, some of the things I think that uh, you know, whether it's you know, my relationship with officials, or you know, some of the fan interactions or the different things that that come with me. Part of what makes me successful is uh is my passion, it's my intensity. It's it's this you know, when when you're winning it, when you're winning championships, these these same things have gone on when you're winning championships.
Speaker 3: It's called relentlessness.
Speaker 13: You know, I've been called relentless the past two years, even though I've been experiencing the same types of interactions with fans and officials. You know, this year it's been called, uh, you know, immature, It's been called a lot of things because you know, my team isn't on top. I haven't changed a whole lot that way.
Speaker 2: If you had a little earpiece and your wife was allowed to talk to you on the sideline during a game. How do you think that would go.
Speaker 3: I think that I'd be here stop shut up.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean I would say that from a I think that my relationships with officials. Now you know the Florida You know the Florida post game. I regret that one greatly. You know that that was I There was literally one play call.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 13: There was one drive to the rim that I felt, if we clearly got fouled on, that would have kept that game in a two possession game. That was just it was ringing in my mind. And it wasn't like multiple calls I felt were miss dan. It was just this one play, uh that I could not get out of my mind as I was heading through that tunnel and as I saw the Baylor players. I deeply regret that. I mean we we we missed a lot of open shots. And credit Florida and Clayton. I mean this, Uh, you know the their their championship level, but you know.
Speaker 3: That one I regret deeply. I didn't believe.
Speaker 13: That, and then that was embarrassing when I look at other ones that were, you know, embarrassing that I'm the best coach in the country. That was embarrassing. I wish somebody could have stopped me from having that moment.
Speaker 3: A lot of some of the fan interactions.
Speaker 13: I've got to get somebody I think that maybe could just walk me on and off the court. Maybe like college football has those guys that walk the coach to the other coach and then just get them off the court. Maybe I need to get somebody that could just when the game ends, just get me on and.
Speaker 3: Off the court.
Speaker 13: Because I don't think that my in game coaching I want to change a lot because we've been really successful.
Speaker 2: But what is it about officials?
Speaker 13: Though I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. I I've watched these other officials, and listen, I've earned you, earn your reputation.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 13: I'm definitely a tough coach to officiate because I'm very demanding, uh And I value every single possession in the game because I know how important they are, you know. And and but I've also modeled myself after maybe an older, you know, generation of coaches. You know, I'm just an intense coach, and I think I'm intense in a very similar way. To Coach Sampson tonight. I think if you watch Coach Sampson closely tonight, he's a very intense coach and he's going to be very demanding of the officials.
Speaker 2: Well you're like your dad, though you would.
Speaker 3: Hate my father, I mean everyone and my dad.
Speaker 2: I know. I like being around your dad socially. When he puts his teeth in and he you know, you know, we we have a conversation. I enjoyed being around him. We were I don't know what we were watching, like, I don't know, some sitcom or not even a sitcom, is some cop show. When I went to his apartment in Jersey City, and I'm going, it seems really nice. He's just a nice guy. Then you hear these horror stories about how demanding your dad was.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, I mean, Dan, you know, it's like you've got to be able to separate the competitor, you know, the combatants.
Speaker 2: But could you coach like this like you are right now? No, you couldn't. Just be like, it.
Speaker 13: Doesn't line up with our play style. It doesn't lie okay, with the intensity that we play with. It doesn't. It doesn't line up with how we attack the offensive. Glass or you know how hard we played defensively. And it's not just me, it's our whole bench. I mean, we leave the country in warnings from officials to have everyone sit down. I mean everyone on my bench is like out of pocket, like I'm it's it's just we're an emotional program. We're a passionate program. And I don't think I'm gonna change a whole lot of that. I would like, but I do you know, upon reflection, I think that the interaction with you know, people not on my team or you know, I would like to probably have less of that.
Speaker 2: When do you walk down the hall to congratulate Geno?
Speaker 3: I guess I'm gonna wait for him, maybe to sober up. I mean I wouldn't remember.
Speaker 2: I talked to him last hour.
Speaker 3: How did he look?
Speaker 2: He looked like a million bucks, hair was calmed. I mean he looked like Gino.
Speaker 3: I mean he he he.
Speaker 13: I mean, we we text, we talk, you know, we were texting before you know, all of his games and and I mean he he saved my season from completely unraveling in November. So I owe a lot to Gino. And what did he do?
Speaker 3: I mean, right when we.
Speaker 13: Got back from Maui as as I as I had erupted like a volcano in Maui and and come back to try to pick the pieces up.
Speaker 3: I was in a bad, bad place. I was coaching, angry, I was coaching frustrated.
Speaker 13: You know, I knew I didn't have deep down, I knew, you know, I didn't have a team that could compete for a championship. And I was trying to come to grips with that, and and he helped kind of talk me through, you know, like if all you're in this for is to win championships, and and like if that's the only joy that you get from coaching, you've become basically a monster.
Speaker 2: How's the transfer portal by the way.
Speaker 13: Oh my god, Yeah, I mean like no one is I mean when I that Monday, when when you come to the realization that like literally no one is on your team, you know, like that Monday, Because even if you're not in the portal, because it's now a lot of it is being conducted by agents, you know, so even if you're not in the portal, you're you're you're in the portal because schools now, you know, they they reach out for the agent and you know, the these agents are representing the players. So even if a player hasn't kind of formally gotten in the portal, schools will now reach out for agents and make offers to players, you know, that way indirectly, and and a lot of deals I guess are agreed upon before players even go in, uh, which is not the way that that we do business.
Speaker 2: We you know, it's it's a mess how many players are officially on your roster.
Speaker 13: I think right now I could sit here and say that we definitely have eight players on our team, you know, and we could have as many as ten. I think, you know, maybe two potentially or are are undecided whether that's you know, going to the NBA. Obviously, Alice Caraban's got to make a decision what he wants to do with this last year, you know, I'd imagine he'll be deciding at some point soon here, maybe this week, and then you know, then we have another player who's you know, deciding. So yeah, I mean right now and listen, it's better than it was. You know, last week, I think there was a point where I think I felt like I had like one guy plus the high school guys, and we got three McDonald's all Americans and a Tasmanian dude who I think is gonna be really good.
Speaker 3: So we're excited about that.
Speaker 2: If you need help and filling out the roster like practicing, just let me know. Wait, don't laugh like that.
Speaker 3: We're used to deep.
Speaker 13: When you get used to deep runs, Dan, I feel like I gotta do better.
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you. Thank you, coach. That's Dan Hurley, eleven hours that he's still the defending national champs. Two time defending national champs. All right, we'll take a break. Last call for phone calls, What we learn, what's in store tomorrow? After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP. Last call for phone calls, What we learn, What's in store tomorrow. If you're expecting Dan Hurley to be different on the sidelines next year, think again. You know, he'll apologize for these moments that he has and he did, but I don't think he can change. And also, this is who he is, this is how he coaches, this is how his team plays. And I think if he's going to try to be a watered down version. Then he's cheating himself and he's cheating his team. And I don't know if he was serious about having a guy who would be there to say, hey, let's get off the court, don't engage with the fans. But he does say things like, you know, I never should have said, you know, on the face of college basketball, even if it's true or not, but you know, engaging with fans, and you know, mentioning he won two national titles. And the area where he's talking about the officials bleeped them when the Baylor players were taking the court. You know, that's usually where reporters aren't supposed to be. And somebody caught him in that moment. But I think he's apologizing for moments, but he's not going to change, and I understand that. Let's see, how about this day in sports history.
Speaker 6: Paul nineteen fifty five, fort Wayne beat Syracuse seventy four to seventy one, lowest scoring NBA playoff game since the shot clock was introduced the twenty four second shot clock. Bob Coosey nineteen fifty nine nineteen assists in a playoff game against Minneapolis, and.
Speaker 2: He couldn't stop him he was a genius. He's a magician.
Speaker 6: Nineteen sixty three, at the age of twenty three, Jack Nicholas became the youngest golfer to win the Green jacket at the Masters Tournament.
Speaker 2: First of his six Masters on this date in nineteen sixty nine. This pitcher is credited with baseball's first official save, first official save in nineteen sixty nine, Bill Singer of the Dodgers, I didn't know that, Ernie Else? What sorry, Ernie Else? In twenty sixteen, seven puts from two feet away, he had a ten on the par four first hole at the Masters. Seven punch from two feet away. Now I've put it on that first green. I didn't need seven putts.
Speaker 3: I think I.
Speaker 2: Bogate it both times I played it. Shot in eighty one, eighty three, eighty one. Yeah, I improved by two shots.
Speaker 6: He has bo I'm watching the video of Ernie l seven putting, and the first one he sets up like a normal putt. Then he starts like nonchalantly tapping it and getting more and more frustrated. It's surreal.
Speaker 2: Seven punch from two feet away. I had a ten. I'm watching it. I can't watch it.
Speaker 6: And he's like a great player.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's a Hall of Famer. Dang, dang, it's tough. What else happened on this date? Carmelo twenty ten and seven assists as Syracuse beats Kansas for the National Championship two thousand and three. Carmelo Anthony Hall of Famer, great player, Jersey should been retired, put up in the rapters. Dwight Howard going into the Hall of Fame. Yes, Tom, He's expected to join us sometime this week. Okay, yeah, Dwight Howard. He had an incredible run in Orlando. Okay. Jonathan and Phoenix, Hi, Jonathan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Hey, Dad's second time callers. So I just wanted to talk about how I also suffer from affliction just like you. But I think we need to give a voice and the outlet to all of us. I think there's more of us out there than we realized.
Speaker 4: But I also.
Speaker 15: Enjoy watching sub five hundred and be a basketball on a Tuesday night, and so it's called on it. She's my watch and family. But I think we need a voice, and I have a T shirt idea. I need some help workshopping with the dnets, but something along the lines of you know, I watched sub five hundred basketball Tuesday or bad basketball? Watch is anonymous something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm not anonymous. I'm proud to be somebody you know that I did watch. I watched G League basketball? Was it live last night? Marvin? It was okay because it was playoff basketball at its best, the Ociola Magic and you had the Main Celtics formerly the Main Red Clause. Yes, and I was watching that as if I'm watching March Madness and it was great.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 8: Time, Well, the Main Celtics played for Boston.
Speaker 3: These are the other Celtics.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd, Yes, Maine Celtics, thank you, thank you. Would you prefer G.
Speaker 12: League teams to be affiliated with NBA teams like they are like a minor league system, or to be completely independent?
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter. I'm still gonna watch and it doesn't matter. I made it sad. It really was sad.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: It's not sad. You just love the game. I do love the game. I just I always feel like, if I'm not watching, is anybody else watching? And they deserve to be watched because I would want somebody to watch me if I was playing, And something like that, Yes, marm.
Speaker 8: It gets weird when you're watching high school basketball and your wife's like, you got to pick up a hobby or something.
Speaker 2: This is my hobby.
Speaker 3: I want to watch the Boozer twins.
Speaker 2: I know, and now are they both going to duke or just one?
Speaker 8: They're both going to do okay losing the final four.
Speaker 2: Next year if they look good, they are good in that All Star game, Todd, what did I learn?
Speaker 8: Marvin reminds us those not watching the other Celtics and Magic last night the G League playoff, it just means more.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, they all around support. We'll try to do better tomorrow. Have a great day, everybody,