Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: I have such a complicated relationship with things like a goal and like my job. Since as much as I want to be like I'm gonna win a Grammy four Album of the Year, my real take is like, I don't know if that's really a possibility for me.
Speaker 1: My friend Ben Rector, it's the second time on the show. I's got some big songs here, brand new whoa hoo, whoa ho hoo hoo hoo.
Speaker 2: Whoa, whoa whoa.
Speaker 1: He has a new song called Color Up My World that we play a bunch with Hailey Witters. Wait it Ben Ben wrote Color Up My World? Yeah, okay, it may be a typo, but has written by Ben Folds, who's also one of my favorite artists. Different Ben, Okay, that'd be cool.
Speaker 2: Have Ben Folds wrote it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you the typeo ver there?
Speaker 1: No, huh, that'd be cool. Ben Rector and Ben Folds and you know other wasn't the Ben's at one time, but it wasn't been. It's Ben Lee, Ben Folds and Ben.
Speaker 2: Queller Kweller. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love the Bens. I loved all the Bens individually too, and I love this Ben. So a couple of things here, Ben Rector. He I basically started playing music at the University of Arkansas and touring and won like a competition and just kept going. You know, one of my friends I think I mentioned this, went to one of his shows once without knowing who he was. A friend of his was like, hey, should come to the show Ben Rector And it was an amphitheater and ampeater was sold out like eight thousand people. And he's like, wait a minute, what he sells eight thousand tickets? Like Ben has these massive, massive shows, huge following. Made his opry debut in twenty twenty two. His songs appeared on every single commercial America's Got Talent, American Idol, Ellen, World of Dance, Hartlan, Hawaii Fi vo I could keep going. Really smart guy, great golfer, good pickleball player. And my friend here he is Ben Rector. How you been.
Speaker 2: I'm good. I feel like it's nice to be done with the tour. But I'm also going through a little bit of the The first three days you're like this is incredible, and then you're like, oh my gosh, what am I doing?
Speaker 1: Do you have other I mean, you're you're not retired from music all the way right, like this is You're done?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not. But I honestly I feel like I, I mean, this is probably a conversation for real life. I feel like I'm always trying to figure out what I wanted to look like, and this is I have the symphony shows after this, but not you know, it's not like in my next huge tour.
Speaker 1: What do you mean look like like the perception of the artist Ben Rector.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm fixing this, Mike stan pushould be doing that. No, what I how I define success? What I want my life to look like? Which is too big of a question. Hillary at this point is so patient but always like rolls ride, She's just like, you do whatever you want to do.
Speaker 1: Did you know? I didn't know this? You may have known this. Did you know sometimes our wives escape to talk about us.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. Did you know that? I mean a little bit. I don't know the extent you know, I don't know. I only heard about it, like the other day. Hillary's probably just like been so great, That's what she says. Right.
Speaker 1: I think when they compare us, they compare how great we are?
Speaker 2: Who's better?
Speaker 1: Who could say I didn't I I literally didn't know that. I know that my wife adores your wife way more than I adore you, so that their friendship isn't natural, But.
Speaker 2: It's really pretty funny.
Speaker 1: They had been, and my wife doesn't tell me anything because I'm sure whatever they say they say for each other. But I think there's probably some neuro tendencies that we both have that they can talk about and the other person at least somewhat relates.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I think that's right. I mean, Hillary tells me everything, but I don't know what good she doesn't good. She's mentioned, she's mentioned that they've connected on that and it's been good. I think it is good. You know, we're I feel like we're both a little bit odd. You know people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by a odd, you mean extremely good looking.
Speaker 2: It's hot. Yeah, people are always telling me that. Man.
Speaker 1: I would say it's a mixture. I'm gonna speak for me and possibly you. I would say it's a mixture of for me not understanding really where balance ever is, and then the line of extremely secure and wildly insecure and not knowing where that ever is.
Speaker 2: Definitely, I think that's exactly right. I think also the spice of like it being a public job is sometimes lonely and probably maybe I don't mean to be like it's unique, like special, but maybe more unique than a guy who's like, I'm a lawyer and I work too much. Like there's other stuff kind of like tangled up in it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes maybe that like a solo identity, meaning you're the only ben rector.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know what I meant by that. I think there's weird stuff that comes along with it. There's like weird side dishes that maybe don't happen with other meals.
Speaker 1: I would agree, Yeah, I would say in the same way that my friends that are professional athletes that play solo sports are way nuttier th my friends who play on tea.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, very fair.
Speaker 1: My one of my dearest friends, Andy Rotick, is a tennis player, one of the greatest guys, but out of a skull, right, like because everything's on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the kind of person that self selects into that and then continues to self select into that is pretty specific.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he chose and continue to choose to grind away sold everything's good and bad. It's all on him, right. It's different than a buddy that plays in the NFL. And has it one of eleven? Yeah, you know that's back there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When you say you're coming off tour and you're figuring it out, so what is it? I still don't know what you meant, like how it's presented.
Speaker 2: I'd say to use a workout analogy. It feels like when you're doing a tour or making a record or whatever, you have like a trainer that's like, this is exactly what you do. You don't have to think about it, and it's challenging, but there's not a lot of brain power expended on like what am I doing actually or like creatively, what am I doing? And then when you're done with that, because when I'm on tour, I'm always like, man, I'm ready to take a break because it is it is a grueling thing, but there's a part of you, you know that when you're done with that, it's sort of like, Okay, now what do you want to do? And you have to make it all up. And I think, as you were saying a little earlier, like I'm I feel like I'm always like trying to find balance and my brain doesn't help me do that very well, because like anytime I'm like I'm going to find balance in this way. It's like you're being lazy, you're being whatever. And I think at this point, I'm like, oh, I'm not, you know, twenty one anymore, and I want to see my kids and having some semblance of a normal life, So like, what do I want to look what I want that to look like? But that's a big it's like a big math problem. I don't know how to like really try to solve it.
Speaker 1: You felt yourself modifying goals because you're not twenty one anymore.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I'm a bad person to ask about this because I feel like I have such a complicated relationship with things like like a goal in like my job since because I don't know really what's possible as far as like, as much as I want to be like I'm gonna win a Grammy for Album of the Year, my real take is like, I don't know if that's really a possibility for me. I don't think that that's like a thing that is going to happen. And I can feel the Instagram like hustle people be like not with an attitude like that, it's not So there's that, And then there's also the part of it. That's like, as things have gone better and better, I haven't necessarily become happier and happier. And so I'm like, oh, I want to like round this out with some more balance, but I don't know how to like actually approach that. It's very difficult, and I think other I envy people who don't have a complicated relationship with it, the people that are just like I want to drive the sickest car in the world. So people look at me and they're like, what a sick car that guy drives, And I'm like, well, I wouldn't want to drive that car because I wouldn't want people to think, well, you know, it's just a complex. I don't know and probably think about everything a little too much. But that's that is a challenge for me. I don't know what is reasonable to aim for goal wise, and uh, I don't actually know what I want goal wise, as clear as I can say it, I want to do really good work and be proud of it. That's like the central theme after I.
Speaker 1: Thrown goalposts, how do you know where to kick it? Though?
Speaker 2: That's the deal, and that's I mean, that's this is hilarious. We're talking about this right now, because I feel like I'm literally trying to figure that out. And on every project, were watching the Last Dance finally.
Speaker 1: The basketball documentary from from COVID. Yes, oh well there's a there's something.
Speaker 2: Called Love is Blind.
Speaker 1: You should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we finished the Soprano King. Yeah, we've finished the Sopranos like two weeks ago. We went right into the Last Dance. Anyways, a lot of it, you know, is I'm sure you've watched it is him like coming up with a game within a game for himself. And I feel like on every project I kind of do that. I'm like, oh, on this project, I want to do this thing. The hard part now is I'm like, what do I want to aim at? I've done it enough times that I have I feel like a relatively good idea of what it's going to feel like or be like at the end of it. And it's a very expensive thing internally, like it's like, oh man, I'm kind of a wreck for a long time, you know, building this thing. And so now it's like, okay, like what do you want to aim at? And I don't really know, And I think those goals would be different if I thought if I you know, if I was like, I have a legitimate shot to achieve X y Z goal, I just don't know the ven diagram of what I actually want and what is possible for me. And it's hard because if you were like, how good do you think your work is? Like, I think it's very good. I feel totally confident in it. But I also think that the way that some typical goalposts look now, I'm just like, I just don't know if that's like a fit for me. I don't know if it's an option for me, and so I think it's like I don't I don't know if I want to go through the Rocky training montage being like I'm going to win a Grammy. I'm going to win a Grammy. It's just like I don't. I don't think I'm going to I don't think to make the right genre of music for that. And that's okay with me, Like that is all right, And I don't just want it bad enough that i'd like try to not that I could make this happen, but like be like, I'm gonna make the best I don't know what classical whatever record to try because there's not a bunch of competition and I gonna do that. I don't know. There's a lot of words.
Speaker 1: When I mentioned modifying, because you said twenty one. I feel like the space that I'm in now is where I would just go and do everything if I felt like it was getting me closer to a goal. But I did everything, and most things did not get me closer to a goal. Sure, and I in the same way, don't like I'm not twenty eight even thirty one anymore. And I've also realized that just doing everything to achieve something really most of the time doesn't end up in the way that you'd like it. So why am I wasting so much time and energy? So I've started saying no to a lot more things, and it's kind of cool, But now I feel like I'm saying no to too much. It's like no, no, no, no. But I'm only doing it because I've done it, not wrong, because I've learned. But there are a lot of things. I'll give you an example, and I can talk about this. I've not talked about it, but I had mentioned on this podcast probably a few months ago that the ccma's which is the Canadian Country Musicors that asked me to host the show and I was like, that's cool. I'll go up get a jacket, you know, it's Canada, you know, and do some comedy and host their award show and that'd be pretty cool. And we were kind of talking with them and they were super nice, super cool, and I have nothing bad to say about it at all.
Speaker 2: But they was like, oh yeah, Also, you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna have a co host and it's Thomas Rhett and I'm like, cool, I love tr like all good.
Speaker 2: Didn't know I had to co host.
Speaker 1: But as long as like TR is gonna do this tr thing and I'll do my thing, that's fine. It's all good. And then they're like, well, we don't have it. We need to add a Canadian and I'm like, well, now it's three people and I'm being though right, and I'm like, I don't have anything against any of them, but for me to want to do this and to really do the job that I want to do, I don't feel like I'm going to have enough room for me to not somewhat resent the energy I'm putting into it totally. And so I was just like, hey, I'm out. And it wasn't any shot anything negative. It was old me five years ago you know what, I'm still going to do it. Yeah, but today I'm just like, you know, I don't think that's really good.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm making more of those decisions now because I'm not twenty one anymore. Same goals, but I don't feel like I have to run every rat will now.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I think like part of me the miniature game that I'm playing now is like, so to use a golf analogy, you know, like I usually if I'm putting, I've missed on the high side of the hole. I've like done too much, and I always been like, oh, I need to like change that a little bit. And for the first time, I'm like, you know what, if I missed this putt, I'm gonna miss on the low side of the whole.
Speaker 1: Email someone to email. Oh it's God, he says, good job, Ben.
Speaker 2: Dear Ben, I'm really proud of you. Got it. God dot com, God, God dot com. No, wait, he got God dot com And that's yeah, he was early on that. Uh yeah, I want to I want to start to miss a little bit, like I've never I have done that sum but not really. I usually am like doing too much there was a I was asked to do some shows for the Navy in Japan. Like it would have been in a couple days, maybe a couple weeks, I don't know, and I was like, I don't know, it's pretty sick. It was like good money. I've always wanted to go to Japan. Hillary is great. She was like, I mean, I feel like maybe you should do it, but it's two weeks and I was like, I don't. I just don't think I should do it. Had this tour, have the symphony shows this summer, and I've it's just been a minute since I've been like I'm just like a normal guy hanging out. This is great. So I said no to it, and I I really didn't know if that was the right decision, but I remember talking to her was like, I want to miss on the low side of the hole for the first time in a while. I want to feel what it's like to be like, oh, I should have done that, because I feel like I've almost never done that. I've always been like ooh, this was too much, And to me, I'm like, well, the small game that I'm playing now is like miss a little bit on the low side to see what that feels like.
Speaker 1: Why do you think you can't win a Grammy?
Speaker 2: I think the style of music that is popular, so like, I feel like the music that I make now sounds like or is most like what pop music was maybe like I don't know, fifteen or twenty years ago, and I think that with the music that I see that's like pop music now, I'm just like, I just don't it's not really it's almost like, uh, the genre like scootered over and now I don't totally have like a home I don't know I had. I don't see any like people doing stuff like I do winning awards really and I'm not I hope that doesn't sound like aw shucks, like that's so sad. It's totally fine. It is just like it's not really what I feel like is celebrated in a critical sense. And I think, I mean, like the music I make is not like gonna be like I'm not gonna be a critical darling. That was that the word critical darling.
Speaker 1: Critics all love you, that would be a critical darling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm not. That's it's that that's not really like the zone that I've been in. Yeah, I mean I think it's just like I just don't see a realistic path for that. And I mean, honestly, yeah, it's like it's not it is not it is not not pop music. But I think if we looked at like the Grammy nominees, it would just be like, oh, yeah, that's it's not really like it's not really the thing you're doing.
Speaker 1: What kind of music do you do?
Speaker 2: I thought about this. I think probably as I would just call it like American music. It's like, I feel like, how about.
Speaker 1: This not American? No, no, no way at the end.
Speaker 2: No, just like because think about like James Taylor, if he was twenty two right now, it wouldn't really be pop. It's not totally folk, it's not country. It's like kind of just like a mashup of those things. But I feel like, and I'm not saying I make music exactly like that, but I think I don't know exactly what you'd call. It wouldn't really be alternative. I don't know exactly what it would be. So I think, like I'm not trying to make a new genre here. When I like talk to him in an airplane, I'll just be like, yeah, it's like kind of like singer songwriter, it's like kind of pop. That's a good point.
Speaker 1: What do you say when someone randomly comes up and goes, what kind of music do you do? My friend loves you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be like, I make uh. I'd be like, it's like singer songwriter stuff, kind of like pop, but not like that's way too many words, bro, I know, I'm sorry, that's the issue. So I'm trying to American music. I don't know, you know.
Speaker 3: Let's take a quick pause for a message from our sponsor. Welcome back to the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 1: I feel though the genres are becoming way, way, way much less of a thing except for financial classification. Yeah, meaning okay, country, what does that even mean? Who cares? Except for there are stations that are going to make money. There are platforms are going to make money by going country, and anything they put into it, regardless of what it sounds like, is going to be that genre finger quotes to make revenue until they decide to change it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's like it. I feel like there are certain genres that there's like a lot of infrastructure. I think countries like that, Christians like that, like festivally music and now I don't. I don't know exactly like kind of Americana stuf. There's like some infrastructure there. I think what's really happened is like pop is and I'm so this is just I'm I'm not in authority on this, but I think like it's become a lot of things, and so it used to be a little more identifiable, and now it's like several genres of music together and so it's like hard to be like, what is that? Like, I think it used to be like it's just popular music, and then it kind of had a sound, and I feel like now it's kind of back to like widely popular music, but it's hard to wrap your arms around what makes it that or not. Whereas other genres have very specific boundaries, like the country has like some like instrumental, lyrical, sonic themes, Christian music has the exact same thing, American the same thing. And I feel like pop is now it's it's really hard if you ask me outside of like artists, how to define pop music now, I'd be like, I don't really know how to do that. It's I couldn't name instruments, I couldn't name so types, I couldn't it'd be like whatever. I don't know, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Think I would say pop now is the top seventeen percent of every specific genre totally. Yeah, you know, whether the basis of what Top forty was back in like the sixties when they started Top forty, which was literally the top forty songs, it didn't matter what genre it was if it was the biggest song rock alternative. I'm just trying to think what I would classify your music as if I was to create a new genre.
Speaker 2: I think singer song is probably not gonna go with that one.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with warm alternative.
Speaker 2: Oh honestly, it's pretty good, but it's really good.
Speaker 1: It is definitely not the same as anything else. But you can't go just straight alternative. No, it's not because your your tones, but a warm alternative that I like, What do you do? I do warm alternative?
Speaker 2: I mean that's tweeter bio. Yeah I don't have Twitter, but what does that mean? Look it up?
Speaker 1: Check it out by they look it up, You're gone one artist.
Speaker 2: It doesn't even matter. Warm alternative dot com. It's just my picture.
Speaker 1: It's interesting when you talk about not having a home. You know, when I moved here. I moved here from because when I was doing pop, this has been ten years ago. So but when I was doing pop, I was doing pop ten years ago eleven wow hoop and hip hop? Yeah, oh wow, I was doing I was too country to do pop and hip hop. We'd play but it's like now, we don't play a lot of music, but the stations that we were on would be pop and hip hop and so but I would do and we'd have whatever. But i'd have some country artists to because I liked country music. But people were like, you're too country to be pop or hip hop, even though I did sign a one song record deal as a hip hop artist. True story.
Speaker 2: Is it out there on the net?
Speaker 1: Probably somewhere. It's on the internet. Yeah, it's not on Spotify, thank god. However, when I got country, it was a year two pop to be country. So I never really had a home, yeah, meaning a place that I just felt welcomed. It almost is where I fall when it comes to politics, because I don't say I'm down the middle, but I think if you averaged me out, I'm probably pretty close on average because I definitely have you know, big capitalists, but I'm like a progressive, capitalist, and there are sensibilities I have from going up and growing up in the South with guns and then but also it's like gay people, let them have kids, that's awesome, let them get married, rock and roll. So when you like equal these things out, it's kind of ish And I'm not in the middle. Yeah, but I don't have a home.
Speaker 2: Yeah totally.
Speaker 1: But what I've found is most people don't have a home. But there's not like a central I don't have a home horn to blow.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. I think I agree that most people are there. And I think too a lot of like what the genres that have infrastructure do well is they kind of like have an offering for people, where like if you can be I think country does this incredibly well. People are like I'm a country music fan, and it's like, great, we got a bunch of stuff in the country music store, and I think like same for Christian Americana, et cetera. Wrap whatever. But I think what's interesting right now is pop is I feel like it's it's it's it's a little bit more random store wise. In fact, there's not a lot of.
Speaker 1: Like uh now, Sean it goes viral totally I mean, that's that's what pop is now, viral and and.
Speaker 2: I think realistically that's that is a part of that is a part of it. When you're like, oh, why don't you think you could Winnegramy, It's just like I think, like the things that I do well don't necessarily line up with virality, because I feel like if you were if you were like, describe your music's your music thematically, like lyrically, I'd be like, oh, it's not like sexy exciting themes. It's like find peace in your life. Good things are like hard, they take a long time, celebrate the nuances of life, like you know. That's I feel like I'm not saying it couldn't go viral, but I just feel like that's not necessarily it's not like a not a dessert, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I have two points I want to make. I don't want to forget the second one, so make a note. But the first one would be you have a lot of stuff go at least semi viral. That's not even songs that you record for someone listening to your music. Meaning when you do American airlines, we might crash and you might die because the door just blew off whatever that's that's that's not the lyrics. Sure, but that stuff hits hard.
Speaker 2: Sure. Sure, So to say that.
Speaker 1: Your stuff doesn't go viral maybe specific songs, but I think you're a smart enough guy. If you were just gonna produce a freaking crazy viral record, no doubt.
Speaker 2: You could do that. Maybe.
Speaker 1: I mean, how when you put out Color My World the video, Yeah, I have not, I haven't tracked your data on that. How has that done? Because esthetically, like I have, like it's it's like dopamine hit after dopamine hit.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting. I think that that. I think the video's really good. I think even that it did like okay, it wasn't like WHOA like blew the doors off. But I think that's what I'm saying. I think the kind of thing, the kind of thing that is going viral right now for real, if it's a song, it feels a lot more unpredictable to me. I'm like, I don't know, I don't know anybody who's been able to game that system. It's usually like retroction, like whoa, this thing worked. So yeah, I and I think the real point to your point about like, oh, you've had stuff co kind of viral. Yeah, but the hard part is like it's not really songs or music. It's like it's like an entertainment product. And if you told me right now the whole game was gained as many followers as you could. I know what I would do, but that doesn't flip over into changing my music or like my art really, and I don't know if I want to be an influencer professional, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Man, I got like two points to bounce off that, but I want to fig up my freaking out.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I now forgot my other one, and I even made a mental note not to forget it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: With that point, I feel like you're saying you don't want to create your art, and you're separating the two a bit. I got my point before I get to this one. Okay, I got four points. I'm lost, but I got this one. And you and I have talked about this away from a microphone where and I brought up a Grammy and again I'll just compare it to me. Then you can jump in and say I'm stupid or not stupid. But I always thought I'm going to be a big pop culture expert on mainstream radio whatever that meant. And I'm going to be so cool being mainstream and know everything that everybody's going to have me, which was an any TV show would want me. I'd be an expert. What I found was that the more I tried to be everything to every one and not saying you're doing this, and I'll get to my point, that nobody cared totally. So here I am. I'd built my own show with my own money. I got thirty markets tech. Nobody cared because there were just people that were doing specifically what I was doing, way better than what I was doing. But when I was like, hey, let's go to Nashville, there's never been a national show. My contract was up, they had bought my syndication company from me. When I move here, and all of a sudden, I had propelled to the top of this area. All those people that I wanted to talk to me when I was like, I'm mainstream, all the people in the mainstream were like, oh, we want to talk to the guy that's the expert. But then so I met them, and then that allowed me to like expand to where I would compare this to I think this is how your grammy happens, if you'd like to know.
Speaker 2: Of them all yours.
Speaker 1: I thought about this, okay, and I was saving it for on Mike in case it was just sick, in case it was so stupid. I think your grammy happens not through here's a record and here's a great song. I think your grammy happens through I made a great song ento the a movie commercial, uh chair, whomever uses it from that. Charlie Pooth, for example, when he did No Mike was a song, furious song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, how's it start? It's piano.
Speaker 1: It's been a lot less see you again. Yeah, that was a good song, great song. We wouldn't have known it for what it was it not took a ride with the movie.
Speaker 2: Pun intended absolutely.
Speaker 1: I think that is where your art meets that reward. Because warm alternative only cages so far.
Speaker 2: Oh warm alternative fans love it. Yeah, But in the in the in the big bad world, people are like, well.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't mean your music isn't amazing, But like you said, there's only nothing like it, but there's everything kind of like it. Yeah, but when it attaches to something that people freaking love, that personal connection happens to which song of the year.
Speaker 2: I think that if I were like.
Speaker 1: Our gun to head house been gonna get some stupid acolade that doesn't matter, although it does. But really the grand scheme, that would be how it happens if they were to go college commercial where they're flying over campus and playing a song that would be your song. But I think that's how it happens for you in the same way that it got to happen for me in a different scale. It's like I found a new walking partner I felt comfortable with, but didn't change anything that I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, And I think I think that that is true. I don't think I would ever. I think everyone right now it feels like they're kind of like chasing stuff. And I don't know that I've ever made a great thing from chasing something else.
Speaker 1: I don't think you have to chase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I think I would. I think it would. I would want to make something that is uniquely continue it makes stuff that's like unique to me and see kind of what can happen out in the world. And I think that I do agree. I think that's probably the best scenario for something like.
Speaker 1: That, But that's what happens. That's what happens. Something sees and feels what you're doing. Oh god, it is awesome. Boom, next thing, you know, you're the sweetheart of the Grammies for a year, then they're ready forgets again, and then you're like, dang, why did I put so much emphasis on a Grammy Because I'm the same freaking person.
Speaker 2: Right now and I think that. But honestly, that's that is part of it for me at this point. So many things have happened that I was like, oh, this is never going to happen. That it happens. That the real thing, more than any specific goal, is being like, oh wait, I see how this is always going to be because if you've showed me my life to me, you know whatever, many years ago, fifteen years ago, be like this is unbelievable. Just like you kind of get numb to that stuff. And so that's part of me is just like yeah, I don't I don't want to. I don't. I don't want to. I know I wouldn't chase it, but I don't want to like actually try to be like, well, I know, then this will feel different it's like, no, it's just always gonna feel like this, that's what it's gonna feel like.
Speaker 1: And that's okay, Yeah, I feel that too, But then I get a little excited sometimes.
Speaker 2: And I don't. I don't. I think that the proper like heart posture for me and maybe for everybody is like it's like, enjoy the fun stuff like it's and when I get to do a fun, cool thing, and I don't want to be like, well, this doesn't matter, It's like, no, it's awesome, But I don't think that it's necessarily gonna be like ideal going forward to be to use as fuel. I'm not gonna be happy until I get over this next mountain, because it's like, well, dude, we're like fifteen mountains deep here and I'm feeling like pretty much the same Hank Tight The Bobby Cast will be right back.
Speaker 3: Wow, and we're back on the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 1: These shows that you're doing with the orchestra, how many.
Speaker 2: People between twenty five and thirty five hundred.
Speaker 1: No, in the band. That's a big band, the orchestra. If you get twenty hundred people in.
Speaker 2: Orchestra, it's twenty five on first orchestra Colley, I don't actually know. It's a little mister Beast type stuff. I bet, I bet, I mean, honestly, I bet everybody on stage it might be like seventy people.
Speaker 1: Can you hear if somebody's I don't know how many horns you have? Okay, if there's you say you have three horns and one of them is a goblet horn, big horn.
Speaker 2: Guy hereail nail, and both of it.
Speaker 1: If one of the horns a little off, can hear it?
Speaker 2: It's Cody can hear that a little better than I can. It's easier for me to hear it when I'm listening I'm not playing. So the way they work because you fly in and then you the day of the first show, you do rehearsal with the orchestra and so there's a lot of moving parts there. You're like, I need to remember my stuff and do this correctly, and so on the first run through. If something is bad wrong, if someone hits a like wrong note, I can.
Speaker 1: Hear that tempo though somebody a little tempo off or is that never the case? No?
Speaker 2: So that's the deal. It's it's that's part of what's fun about it is most people, myself included for full band shows are playing to a click, so everyone is like supposed to be dialed in. This is we don't have any your monitors at all. We have wedges on the floor and we can hear the orchestra just it's in the room. Develops you, which is cool, but it's also like the difference in like running a jet ski around and driving like a huge boat. It's like steering. I don't know seventy or eighty people. I think it's that many people, maybe more. It's it's not like you're not like totally dial it's kind of like inferred. We're like, we're kind of about right here. So tempo is actually a huge challenge because we don't we don't bring a drummer with us. It's just me and Cody in the orchestra.
Speaker 1: Do you have to kind of let go of any sort of critique of current while you're doing it?
Speaker 2: It's you. It is fun because you're kind of reacting. It's like a real time like, oh, like we're going this direction. It's a little slower than I thought. We need to try to speed it up. Whereas a normal full band show everyone's aiming for like perfection it's like you're a part of a living organism and you can't just be like we're going here. It's like, oh, you can like shift a little bit, but it's not gonna You're not going to like change it totally.
Speaker 1: If you were going to do a podcast, what would you do it on?
Speaker 2: I already know the answer to this, and I actually want to do it with the problem is it's too short. I want to do a podcast called what What do You Eat for Breakfast? And the pitch is I did this maybe three years ago, maybe four. I had a birthday dinner and we went in on the table everyone's breakfast routines, and I know all the people, they're well, and what was really interesting was you Actually it's like you don't doctor that up for anybody. Like the clothes you wear are all for public consumption kind of it's like, well, this is what I want you to see my whatever the boots are called, and be like, oh those boots. Whatever you do breakfast when no one's watching, And so all of your idiosyncrasies come out and it's like really quirky and funny. It says a lot about the person. And so if you really dive deep and like if right now is like, what are you eat for breakfast?
Speaker 1: Do it with me?
Speaker 2: Ok great? Uh, welcome to What do you Eat for Breakfast? Thanks for the first episode.
Speaker 1: I'm a big fan.
Speaker 2: Oh big fan of you too. So we're gonna go through your morning routine. What do you eat for breakfast? Step by step?
Speaker 1: So I wake up very early?
Speaker 2: Okay? What time?
Speaker 1: Three thirty?
Speaker 2: Alarm? I have one? I never get to it. Do you have one set? Or two? Set?
Speaker 1: Two? And then a third like an hour later? In case I don't know, I die?
Speaker 2: What's the last time you slept until you're alarm?
Speaker 1: I don't know the answer.
Speaker 2: Okay, the interesting data so far, alarm doesn't hit you wake up at three thirty, it's correct.
Speaker 1: Probably like three twenty seven, three twenty six alarm never hits.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, and you you get out of bed fast forward me to where you're gonna eat something or drink something?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: Almost immediately I walk out the dogs. But then while I'm doing that, I'm planning my meal. There's always a couple options. And what I had some overnight oats. I'm trying to lose like twenty pounds in three weeks.
Speaker 2: What kind of overnight oats? Oats overnight.
Speaker 1: Over the night they oded? Oh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's just in a jar.
Speaker 1: My wife made them, okay, Yeah, so she'll make like four or five things of overnight oats and she'll put like some little berries in it. So but for me, it's about efficiency. Yeah, And if they're not there, I will just grab what I can eat quickly so I can get started. But I had overnight oats this morning with a little bit of berry on it, and then I can I have two beef sticks just for protein. They'd always match to take the palette. But I'll protein before I leave the house too.
Speaker 2: How many how many work days are you eating overnight oats? Is it every day?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Five?
Speaker 2: Okay? And a beef stick every day also or just any protein option.
Speaker 1: Beef sticks are the easiest way for me to remember to do it, Okay, So yes, I will say beef sticks because more times than not, unless i'm out, if I'm out of everything, I'll eat cereal like three wishes cereal with low sugar. But mostly it's over and I oh, it's some beef sticks.
Speaker 2: High efficiency. And so how long you said it's your feeding the dogs. Do you drink anything with this? I make a.
Speaker 1: Juice kind of thing with coconut water and then a little bit of pineapple juice and a little bit of lime, and then I put in my ag because I feel like I don't get enough greens.
Speaker 2: I want to try those actually.
Speaker 1: So they don't taste good. But if you cover them up with what I'm doing and putting in multi juices like a twelve year old.
Speaker 2: Is it in a blender? No?
Speaker 1: I put it in a jar and shake it.
Speaker 2: What kind of jar?
Speaker 1: It's a mason jar. We have like fifteen of them that rotate.
Speaker 2: And is it the two piece top three piece? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Top top, top is two pieces, but yeah, three pieces of total that little flat things out of it. Yeah, so so you you put that in then you shake it up ice, no ice. That stuff's in the fridge. Coconut water, probably three quarters. I don't know whatever's in there.
Speaker 2: You really don't know. Do you not pick it out? No?
Speaker 1: Sometimes just order it like on Uber Eats if I'm out, otherwise my wife will grab it.
Speaker 2: No preference if you if you no pulp, but yeah, no preference. You wouldn't notice. What if I if I switched it out. No, okay, coconut water, pineapple? What else?
Speaker 1: Uh? Lime?
Speaker 2: Lime?
Speaker 1: Yes, that fills up?
Speaker 2: Are you do you have a lime juice or juice? Yeah, not lime.
Speaker 1: They make lime juice, but lime juice.
Speaker 2: Like the one that looks like a lime you unscrew the top.
Speaker 1: No, that's old cool grandma stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that's what I thought. This it's in it.
Speaker 1: This isn't a big jar as well?
Speaker 2: A big jar? Like, have you purchased it? I don't go to the store, so I'm just saying, has some has someone made the juice?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's but it's bought lime juice in a jar? Like yeah, I like, I don't know what's this? Eight inches?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, that's fine. Not that's a hopefully as morning you know what I'm saying, hopefully it's like ten.
Speaker 2: But yeah I was.
Speaker 1: I would say, yeah, that's that's it, okay, And then I had that for breakfast, and again I ate one beef stick before I one beef stick in the car, and that's breakfast.
Speaker 2: Total total amount of time from you grabbing the overnight oats to being done consuming food.
Speaker 1: It doesn't time doesn't factor in because it's easy to do. If you need a guess, seven minutes while I'm working.
Speaker 2: Seven minutes while you're working, what time is that? Four am?
Speaker 1: For four four fifteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What do you eat on the weekend?
Speaker 1: My wife and I will go I have like you nice breakfasts. Yeah, and we'll go and have like a brunch type thing where I think my typical now is potatoes and one scrambled egg and two pieces of beef down at this place called Urban Market.
Speaker 2: So per you just told me about Urban Market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, literally, that's that's Caitlin's favorite place to go. So that clean. Otherwise, if I don't keep it so regimented, I will eat all sugar. Ill eat cookies for breakfast. So I can't because I will eat all cookies. I will eat ten bowls. I was telling Kevin Kluge, our trainer, even if I'm eating low sugar, I'll eat twenty bowls of cereal a week if I if I just start having cereal.
Speaker 2: If you don't like pre make those decisions. If so, so a day that you go, there's no overnight otes, there's no anything, I.
Speaker 1: Go a hand, then then what it is it? It's whatever I get my hands on. And if it's really good. I'm not gonna stop eating it really because I have no self I have control on what I expose myself to, but once I'm exposed to have a lot of I have a very much lack of self control.
Speaker 2: I'm similar. I feel like I can be pretty disciplined and then if it's like oops, then it's.
Speaker 1: Like and keeps sugar out of the house. But if it comes for a visit, it just gets eaten.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's no overnight notes. How many bowls of cereal do you think you.
Speaker 1: Would eat in the morning?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Four? Wow, real milk.
Speaker 1: I would eat the whole box. No, I aw milk, no two percent milk. I eat the whole box in one sitting. Every time new box gum, I eat the whole pack. Really, yeah, I eat the whole box.
Speaker 2: So it's like, you got to get those systems in place and then you're good that if they're not in place, tough.
Speaker 1: To absolutely And that's but that's breakfast to me. Is like life too, m M. I got to have those systems and if I'm doing it, I can rocket. But if I'm not and I'm just kind of floating around, I float hard. The current gets you, Yeah, so what's my breakfast?
Speaker 2: Say?
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm gonna get my fortune ready, but with my break.
Speaker 2: Well the first episode, so I don't, I'm not. I don't have it. I don't have a dialt yet. I think what's interesting though, I think it's I feel like every time I've talked to somebody about this, it is like an interesting window into them in some way because you're not you haven't since there's not an audience for that. You're just like I'm doing my thing with no regard for like what anyone would think about this, And I think it's really interesting. I have a lot of similarities to that. But as far as being like because from what I know of you, I'm like, oh, dude, you're like so with it, so like you're like dialed and it is funny to be like, oh, the systems help you. But as soon as like there's not systems and you're just like free, it's like, ooh, this is this is like maybe not going to go great. Also fascinating about the alarms, man, I mean that you haven't needed an alarm in a long time for that early is really something.
Speaker 1: I hate it because I wake up six times a night and I got a SEPAP because I do have sleep apnea a bit, and that was part of it. But now I'm sleeping with a machine, I still wake up, so like, oh god, am I. It's just it's anxiety, right, I don't have general life anxiety. I don't feel like I have it in the daytime. Mmm. I think I know people that do have it and they live with it physically. Yeah, I don't, and partially probably because I keep it going, keep everything going, so I don't have time to sit with it. Yeah, And so when I do sit with it is maybe when I go to sleep. That's kind of when it manifests itself. And also I can't be late to work. Yeah, I'm like to work things. Ratings go down, revenue goes down. Then I get fired. Then I'm back to where I started, back at home. Like that's where my mind goes. And that is not rational, It's really not. But you're not a rational person either. No, in some way, in certain areas, I very much am so, but not when it comes to that.
Speaker 2: It's really also seven minutes pretty quick.
Speaker 1: But what am I gonna do?
Speaker 2: I don't know other other people. Some people are like a saver of the morning.
Speaker 1: I don't know, there's no saving.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If there's time in the day, that's time for me to get something done.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's why I feel so lazy when it's like relax. Oh, it's the worst.
Speaker 2: I just think, how much have we learned about you just in this little in this little routine A lot.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me on the show.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate going on the first episode. Man, this has been great.
Speaker 1: It's a big honor to be here. So that's a good podcast though, because that's really not about breakfast.
Speaker 2: And the thing is I think I think you could the episodes would be pretty short, but I feel like everything that every time someone does like a podcast tour, you get some little pieces of the real them, but on some level, like they're always and the questions they're getting are mostly about things they've put out there about themselves and how much would you love to know, Like like Michael Jordan, like, let me just ask you every you eat for breakfast, because you know he's gonna people are so funny in particular'd when you're like two beef sticks and I feel like it's I also want to know what the like no brands thing is because I feel like I would be like, oh dude, I got it's got to be whatever, because I get shirts total.
Speaker 1: I mean perc Yeah, where it's like this one doesn't feel so good on my skin hundred percent. Mine's not about brands as long as it does the job.
Speaker 2: It's I think honestly that that is a that is interesting to me because you are so specific, but also it's almost like in service of a greater utilitarian goal because you're like, yeah, I don't know, like coconut water, where I'd be like, oh dude, I tried like six of them. I really like that one. That's it. I feel like you're like, it's coconut waterman, whatever.
Speaker 1: As long as I get from it what I'm looking for. I guess if it's bad and I get sick on it or I don't like I really hate the taste, but really it's there to do a job.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But but I feel like you are you are. It's interesting. I think that says a lot to me about like how you operate, because I feel like you're not a guy who's super like I don't know, man, what have like you like? I feel like you are specific and you are driven in certain ways. And it's it's cool and interesting to me that you're like but that I don't care. It's whatever.
Speaker 1: But I would say it has to be coconut water. It has to be lying, but it has.
Speaker 2: To be dude, some people, some people are getting so so in the weeds on on random stuff that's just interesting me.
Speaker 3: The Bobby Cast will be right back. This is the Bobby Cast.
Speaker 1: Well, this was, this has been Thanks for having me on a show. Can you come back on my show for a minute. Well, I guess like, okay, cool, cool, cool. How many of these theaters are they all in theaters that.
Speaker 2: It's usually there's usually like a sometimes it's just a theater, but a lot of times it's like a place that's been built for the orchestra or symphony. I don't really know those terms interchangeably.
Speaker 1: With Cody in your band at one point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we played together for a long time and he he'd always like done artists stuff, And as happens with anyone who's like truly uniquely gifted, I feel like after a while it's like, oh, dude, you got to go do your own thing, because like you're too good to be doing this. But yeah, he started doing more artist stuff and then had great success with one of his songs on TikTok that he had released. It was like a song that had been out for I don't know how long, and it kind of like went crazy on Anime TikTok and then.
Speaker 1: It blew up and so Anime TikTok I think so.
Speaker 2: I think it was maybe maybe a specific version of Anime TikTok. I don't know remember which one, but like that was the sort of like silo that it bounced around a bunch. But he's also lean more into doing specifically orchestral stuff, which I think was a great call for him because he's uniquely gifted at that.
Speaker 1: I had a song with Haley Whitters come Together.
Speaker 2: Basically Dan, and she asked me to go on tour. I said yes because I was so stoked to get to do support. I haven't gotten to do support in like ten years because of the genre lists we talked about earlier, so I was stoked. I was just like pumped to get to be in front of new people and get to do something interesting without a lot of pressure. And they told me that Haley was gonna be first of three, and I was legitimately stoked. Hillary and I both really love her music, and I feel like everybody does that. They're like, I was such a fan, it's like really where I know her? One of her managers, Well, I've like followed her career. I really like it. And so I was in kind of a season where my game within a game was like I want to do stuff that sounds fun to me, that's like engaging, and what sounds fun to me. What sounded fun to me was to write a song, try to write a song that she would want to sing with me on the tour, just because I was like, it'd be fun to get to do that. I think she's talented and fun and that would be just like a fun memory for me. So I wrote it was one of those weird songs that came out like so fast. It was just like lo and then so I wrote it with the guy in my band, Austin, and we finished it with a guy named Brett who had written for her before, and we're all freaking out about it. We're like, this is so good. And she weirdly came into Austin's publisher the next day and they played her the song and didn't tell me they're going to Austin was like, I hope that's okay. I was like, what did she like it? I hope. I was like, I don't know, I don't, but she really liked it and everyone was stoked. But that was it.
Speaker 1: You play a banjo in it, a ganjo, whatever you want to call that. For the sake of anybody else, that's a banjo unless you're.
Speaker 2: In the weeds. Yes, it's it's like you're playing you don't. Don't.
Speaker 1: It'saut yourself.
Speaker 2: Don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna let you do the thing.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Don't do that. Okay, great, So you're playing this band, it sounds like a banjo. You're playing a banjo. Did any part of you go I don't think I should play a banjo because people will think that I'm pandering.
Speaker 2: Actually, I never I was more worried when the song started to get like stuff was happening and people were like, are you doing this? I was like, I mean, I'm not like gonna say no to this, but I I wanted to express where the song came from. Mostly, so the banjo part, to me, I feel like, I'm totally for like being in service of the song totally and that's what it needed, like it wouldn't have been as good with a guitar, And in a weird way, I feel like banjo on that song feels more like something that I would do, where it's almost feels more like to me. When I wrote it, it was felt like a Muppets bluegrass song. It's like Sesame Street. And that is where I was like, Oh, this is something that even if Hailey had been like I don't like the song at all, I would have done the song as it was just without her, because that part of it, that's the kind of like, yeah, it feels like classic American music, and it definitely I get that it feels like country also, but I feel like if I turned on Sesame Street and I saw that song, I would be like yes, and I think it would be worse it was an acoustic guitar. I'd be like, oh, is this like hither Delilah. It's like, no, this is like an interesting kind of like folky. It's just like a feels like a Hailey's husbands, like feels like it's like a standard, like you're covering a song. I was like, yeah, that's what it feels like to me.
Speaker 1: It didn't feel like pandering at all, but just knowing how your mind works. I didn't know if you had been like, this is perfect and then you record like, oh god, it feels.
Speaker 2: Like it could be. I think because I have like a streak of like wanting to do things for the right reason. Because I knew where I was coming from with it, I didn't feel weird about that at all. I wouldn't have been like because I it was natural, and if someone would be like, doesn't seem naturally, be like, well, it was. I don't have to tell you.
Speaker 1: You know, how has it been going with that song? And it's life in country? I just know from my side, I've been playing its much. I liked the song, and then I saw Anya post that she was playing it. Who's a good friend of Mine's here, so I has it organically just kind of started to get legs.
Speaker 2: I think what's been interesting to me is it was received a lot better than I thought it would be as far as like either industry or on DSPs or whatever. And I think some of that really is what we were talking about earlier with like Grammy or whatever stuff. I think that there ended up being a bunch of people at Spotify or at Amazon or YouTube or whatever you I don't know, Anya, but people like that. I feel like there was some general goodwill where it was like, oh, dude, like this is actually really good and it was met with more like open arms than I thought it would be. And I wasn't like, this has got to like crush and do incredible, but I was surprised at how well it was received. I think there was just a number of people that were like, at like DSPs specifically because I'm not like going to be on like a pop pop playlist. I feel like a lot of people are like, oh, like I can help you with this, this is good and I like your music. So there's more of that than I thought there would be. I don't in twenty twenty four, I don't honestly have a great metric for like, is it crushing. It seems like it's doing pretty good, better than I thought it would do, for sure. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Part of that too, is that you weren't going I'm a country artist now it's a second right, and I'll include myself in this mix of when people come out and they got I'm now a country You're like, ah, prove it. But if they don't and they're like, I made this song and it is what you think it is, We're like, that's.
Speaker 2: Pretty freaking country.
Speaker 1: That's cool because you're not like imposing it right.
Speaker 2: Well, honestly what you said. With the banjo thing, I felt more like that there were weirdly a bunch of things that came together at the same time. I felt more like Terry Clark is doing like a I forget what it's called. It's like a record of her hits that are all like done with other people. I did that with her at this point. It may may have been like eighteen months ago, and then before the Hailey thing was like for sure, for sure, like this is gonna happen. I wanted to release a song before the Dan and Shade tour, and the only song we had that was like done and good from the acoustic tour was the cover of Great Day to Be Live. And it felt like several things came together, like really tight. And I felt a little bit like that, even just to my fans, where people are like are you and I wanted to be like I'm not. This stuff just kind of like came together. I felt more like that about that because I didn't think it would all come at the same time like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's how you accidentally want a Grammy too, honestly, I mean it is. It's not even about the Grammy. The Grammy can mean anything, sure, But we'll have a few minutes left. But I got a couple other things. Would you mind sharing your I don't even want to spoil who it's about, but I'm gonna let you tell the story about how you went to a certain thing and your hero was there and you end up hanging out with a hero all day? Is he like chased your a followity?
Speaker 2: Oh can you just.
Speaker 1: Tell that story just from the beginning, But yes, yes, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Uh, this was this is maybe like the coolest thing ever for me personally. I got to go play at the AT and T pro am, which is like the holy Grail of all golf things if you're not a professional golfer.
Speaker 1: At Pebble Beach.
Speaker 2: At Pebble Beach, yes, it's like on television all that stuff, And so I initially was going out there. They were like, hey, could you come do some music because they have like parties every night, and they were like, we'd love to have you be in the celebrity hole in one, which is like all the celebrities in the tournament. Jim Nantz announces it and you all hit like one shot closest to pin. It's like a miniature tournament. You knew that you can play in all the practice rounds, you know. It felt like that was like a good way for me to like sort of get to know the people that run the tournament. And I was like, well, yeah, I'll go out and play pebble and NPCC which is minor, and Peninsula Country Club it's awesoin course, and I'll do the celebrity hole in one and maybe they'll think I'm a good guy and decent golfer and we'll have you back. They were like, if anyone drops out of the tournament, you can be the tournament. And I was like totally. And I'm not great at like not great at networking or any that kind of stuff, but I was like, I really like this stuff and if nothing ever happened, that just be cool and fun. So I get out there. I play the concert. It was for the tournament committee, I guess I don't really remember, and they were like, hey, we think he have a spot in the tournament, of course, I'm over the moon. And one of my very favorite artists, Hugh Lewis. My dad listened to him a lot growing up, and I thought it was like dorky dad music, and then I realized after I grew up, I was like, this is actually like some of the sickest music ever. And so Hugh Lewis was going to come back and do one last at and T and he hurt his shoulder and they were like, you're going to replace Hugh Lewis, and I was like, oh, that's incredible. That's wild to feel bad that he's hurt. He's like, but he was going to walk with your group? Is that cool? And I was like, I was like time out. What? So basically, I'm playing in the coolest golf thing in the world. It really is. There's not a cooler amateur golf event. And it's basically me and Huey Lewis. Steve Young was the other celebrity. I'm not putting myself in the same category as Hugh Listen Steve Young, but you know you I do, I now do. I didn't. Then he's honestly the nicest person. Okay, yeah, Huey Lewis is walking around and he's him and Peter Jacobson, who is his pro partner, who's a golf announcer now, was like a dominant golfer in his day. They came back to do the tournament one last time together. Peter Jacob's caddy was fluff legendary caddy. It was unbelievable and so basically my week was I would hit a shot and then walk down the fairway with Hughey and just kick it. I mean we hung out all day. He came to every round and I tried so not to geek out. Some of his band came, I got to meet them. I did a project. Yes, some of the news several anchors, but it did. It was incredible, and he was a gentleman and he was like he was like my older brother. He was like, oh, let me let me help you out with this at this tournament, or like here's the deal. It was the best, man. It was, honestly, I was like on cloud nine. It was the best.
Speaker 1: One year later, smash Cut, I was presented with the same situation that you were presented. Come out, come on. We can't promise you spot, but come play the practice rounds, come do the deal, And so I go out and somebody does get hurt and I'm invited to play, but I got a call from the Grammy's going, hey, can you cover the grand? So I'm like, oh, what do I do in the weather was really bad that year. Yeah, and I was like, I'm gonna I played the practice rounds. It was awesome. Everybody's super cool. And I really only did it mostly because of your advice. You were like, even if you don't get to play, it's worth it.
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: I didn't fully understand, but I understood that you wouldn't put me in a place where mine roses get the best of me, thinking I'm not good enough because you don't feel And I got out there and I definitely didn't feel that. And so well, I remember standing on a practice screen and my eyes are just wide open because there's a lot of really like cool to me celebrities.
Speaker 2: It's a great collection of those people where it's like, wow, can't believe that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I played a part three, whole round of a part three with Ray Romano. Thought he was hilarious, totally Josh du Mal super nice guy. But I remember, yeah, and like, great but still got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got it.
Speaker 1: And I remember seeing Steve Young on the practice screen and he was standing with like four other people and he kind of was holding court because everybody's like, that's breaking Steve Young, and so I'm like, I just want to get over and say hi, that's all. So I just kind of waddled over and got in the group, and you know, I don't even know what they're saying, but they're like, oh, Steve, that's a good So they broke. They broke the group, and I say, hey. I was like, mister Young, but I didn't know what to what are you called Steve Young?
Speaker 2: I think it's fair. I think it's incorrect.
Speaker 1: Super Bowl MVP, super Bowl Court Champion.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I said, hey, I'm Bobby, really nice to meet you, and he said, oh you're Bobby Bones. He said listen to your show all the time. And now I'm like, oh my.
Speaker 2: God, wow.
Speaker 1: But then I'm like, does he just has he heard the name?
Speaker 2: And that's all I.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm foed to follow up with this story. Okay, so there's a funny, funny ending, but he's so nice to me that I think, who cares? I had a really great one time experience with Steve Young that I'll never get to have again. I'll never see him again, but that's awesome because I'll hold on to how cool that experience was.
Speaker 2: And he is actually the nice.
Speaker 1: My one of one. He was super nice and you say it too, I believe it. So this morning on my show was talking about top five people that I've ever met and been star struck by. But I also admit that comes with the caveatum. I'm jaded. Sure, I get to meet a lot of quote unquote cool people, some of them Mate's so cool. And also you start to see once you're around a lot of famous people that they're just people. Yeah, it's and it's hard to ever get but I go five to one, Mike. I know number one was Adam Dirret's Count of Crows because my favorite band as a kid. Do you know who else was on by Steve Young is one of them I put on the list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so.
Speaker 1: Move on with my day. This is this morning. I get a text like, I don't know, nine thirty this morning from Steve Young. I never gave him my number, by the way, he says, Bob, just like you know, I'm I'm not lying nine fifty two am this morning.
Speaker 2: That's that's his picture. Where did he come on the list? Number four? Okay? So who was five? He? He was like, what's the deal with one? Derek Jeter?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: He was at four, Lenny Kravitz at three, Jim Nancit two, and Derret's at one.
Speaker 1: So I said, he said, hey's Steve Young. I'm listening to the show this morning, and bam, I hear my name and he says, I got your number from Steve John. I called him, who's the head of that?
Speaker 2: And he's and he look look at this. He says, that's so. And so I replied back.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I don't even know what to say back, because I'm like, I wanted to make sure he knew he was Steve Young, Like you're Steve Young. And so we have our little text thing and he says, you know, I love the show whatever, there's a certain bet he wanted to remind me of. And then he goes because I was making fun of myself when I went to meet and I was like him, mister Young. He said, uh, I first met Carlton Heston way back and I was starstruck, and then sped out, Oh I loved you and big her so whatever whatever, and that happens, and I'm not gonna I'll never text him again.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's real.
Speaker 1: It's like Jim nance he's invited me to invite him to come and do stuff or be on the show.
Speaker 2: I never do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll never call him, be like, hey Jim, what's up.
Speaker 2: You know the time he told me to say Hugh Lowis is like, here's my number, A zero percent. The fact that you gave it, that's a gifted.
Speaker 1: He just texted me six minutes ago again again, let me know if I can help in any way.
Speaker 2: Love what you do. Will you please tell him? I said, Hi, we can both.
Speaker 1: I don't know well enough, but if you hear it gives me this real strength.
Speaker 2: Hondo Pece.
Speaker 1: I send a video. Hey Steve, it's Ben Recked.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm Bobby. This is Steve. I was trying to tell Bobby what a nice guy you were, and he was like, is he really that nice? And I was like one hundred percent? And they showed me the text. I was like, that's him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Ben and I are He was telling a story about Huey Lewis and I said you're my Huey Lewis whole understanding what that means later. But anyway, Ben and I were just talking about you random. You randomly came out truly randomly, truly random, and then you just text me. So I was like, I'm I will hit him back anyway. I hope you're good bye.
Speaker 2: He he is the nicest guy we've like, you know me, hue Lewis gives me his number. I'm not texting. We've like kept up. Actually he we left the tournament and he was like, we're brothers now and I was like, wow, I don't know if you mean that. I didn't say that, and then he totally did. He's a really nice guy, legitimately nice.
Speaker 1: And boom sent it. Okay, I have one final question, and we've done. We've done. We've been here a long time. But when you and I were not first met. We met on an airplane. Myself was flight very briefly sitting in line for the bathroom. Yep, you remember that, right, I do. I can't stop thinking about it. But I was in such a bad place.
Speaker 2: Man. You did you did this show.
Speaker 1: We kind of became friendly, then we became friends.
Speaker 2: Then we got there we got ripped together.
Speaker 1: Yes, then we're just we're jacked. But I don't know the version of you. I've never been a friend with you, and you've put out new music. Like I kind of knew you, knew you enough to text you and go like, hey, like this record. This is why I feel like some of this stuff is special. But I didn't know you. Like now, if you put out new music, it'd be a whole different experience for me. Yeah, so what where are you in that? Because I don't know I don't know you in that way. Yep, where are you making anything new?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So basically right now, I feel like I'm at the edge of the diving board. I have a collection of songs, I'm excited, and I'm trying to figure out how I want to approach it total honesty, a little daunted by the current landscape because I feel like I'm watching everyone just be like throw their dart at the board and there's like a billion other darts and everyone's just like eh, not that that would discourage me from doing it, but just like mechanically how i'd want to do it. I think probably in my head I was like, I'll get past the dan and shade tour and get home and figure out how to record it. But I think I think it's really I think they're very good songs, and I don't always feel like that, and I think I'm just trying to figure out how I want to like capture them because I feel like more and more your like, hate to say this out loud, but I'm going to like your content kind of is your song. It's like the days of like, do you like this, We'll head over to Spotify swipe. You're just like, so I'm kind of figuring out, like what do I want to do? What angle do I want to take there? Yeah, that's that's where I am. I'm trying to figure out how to navigate this current landscape.
Speaker 1: So I don't I don't know that there's a lot of words and you have a bunch of songs.
Speaker 2: Do they all?
Speaker 1: Are they a collection of like minded songs? Are they just a bunch of songs that you like?
Speaker 2: No, there's there's several Like, there's several like groups, and I'm kind of like, whish of these groups feels like it would be fun and life giving to do and what would I get excited to like for the next however long be like this is what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Bonus final question. Do you feel at times you're ever too precious about putt stuff out and that could that could keep your I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know, because I feel like the whole like put stuff out all the time thing is so new and I think that everyone is like, that's what you gotta do to like increase your stats. But I also feel like what's happening now is like so many people are putting so much music out all the time that nobody cares anymore. So I'm like, I don't I don't know, and I will put out probably one song at a time, but I feel like even the internal pressure of like I released Color my World like two months ago, like prob probably gotta get something else out. I'm just like, I don't know if because for me, the bands that I like that do that, I just start tuning it out. I'm just like, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: What about a concept EP? Total concept EP that's right up your freaking out, Yeah.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. Yes, there's there's one one thing I want to do.
Speaker 1: Don't spoil it because I don't want to text everyone. We pull that down so if you say something that you don't think you want to be up, don't don't even say it because I don't want to text later and then I'm gonna worry about he probably wants to taken down. So don't say it. Just be very vague, and I want to keep us both out of this spinning that we do.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's several things that I'd like to do. One of them is very specific concept that I don't know if it's a good idea, but I think would be. I've never seen anyone do it, and I kind of want to do it, but the world might not need it, you know, they might be like I don't want to hear a song about.
Speaker 1: Blank Oklahoma Mandarin. That's what I would think. It is that that Oklahoma Mandarin the first Oklahoma to do a full Manderin album.
Speaker 2: No, that would You're you're kind of close.
Speaker 1: I I think as an artist, you're awesome. Thank you. I I as a friend, I think you're really good.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You know it could be better, and sorry, couldn't we all be? But no, I'm really looking forward to whatever it is that you're going to do. I don't even ask you about that stuff. Who has time when you're breathing as hard as we have to with freaking Kevin Kluge. But I'm putting a pick a ball court back here.
Speaker 2: Oh is clue coming today? Is going to get hard today? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, because you worry. That's why I'm going to clear you to go before he even gets here.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, He'll be like, Ben, what's the deal? What is the deal? Uh? The deal is I hurt my back a little bit the one time that Eddie and I worked out and you weren't there. Basically I hadn't been for a couple of weeks and we did too hard. I was sore for seven calendar days. We did a million deadlifts and Bulgarians. Uh. And then yesterday I had a charity golf tournament and then I'm going to do a member guest. I leave Thursday at like five in the morning. Where's the member guest in San Francisco? Got it?
Speaker 1: Well? Are you playing golf again? Because for a while I was like, I don't play golf anymore. I just played pickleball.
Speaker 2: No, I'm I'm honestly, I'm like full on into golf. I'm back, so so played golf yesterday can't go into uh not an important tournament, but just like a real tournament, being like, sorry, guys, I can't walk. I just million.
Speaker 1: But I mean, are you really in a golf now? Are you just waiting until pickleball? Because we've been through this and I was like.
Speaker 2: Golf pickle I mean I'm in I'm in a golf zone.
Speaker 1: Right. You're a deceivingly good athlete, which is annoying.
Speaker 2: It's really nice you to say.
Speaker 1: And you are taller than people expect. I thought you get that all the time.
Speaker 2: Most common thing people say to me.
Speaker 1: You're yeah, I mean six nine six nine, yeah at least Okay, Look, we're gonna end this. When you hear Bobby Bones' new podcast would you have for breakfast? I think nothing of it. I think nothing of it? Uh yeah, followed bit. Now I'm just gonna straight rip. It's not even gonna be something I could like using court. There's gonna be I stole at Ben underscore rector on Instagram? What is it on TikTok though?
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer to that. I don't know, have to taketalk on my phone. Maybe been in a corrector who loads it? Uh my Social Team, got it.
Speaker 1: Fancy Ben underscore director. I mean I have one too, but I just I just don't.
Speaker 2: Ben, underscore director.
Speaker 1: Check out Color My World and the tour dates because you're done with Dan and Shay. But now it's a symphony show starting May tenth, eleventh, fifteen, sixteenth, all the way through September seventh. I'm just gonna read the cities down Coast of Mason, California, Coast of Mason, California, Minneapolis, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Atlanta, Nashville, Nashville, Detroit, Dallas, Dallas, and from now.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's it, Okay. I'm excited to hear about your concept record. I hope it's like cowboys, These cowboys, that's it. That.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no nothing else not country music. It's cowboys.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, there he has been record.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to a Bobby Cast production.
Speaker 1: H