Speaker 1: Hey, it's Chris Fairbanks, host of the podcast you're currently listening to. I have just a weekend of shows i'd like to announce at the end of the month here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, January twenty fourth and twenty fifth, I'll be at the Laughing Tap Comedy specific comedy Club. Get tickets at Chris Fairbanks dot com. Thank you and you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Are you leaving?
Speaker 3: I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 4: Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 3: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and they turn and on engage.
Speaker 4: We want to send you up in star.
Speaker 3: We wanna welcome you back home. Tell us all about it. We scared or was it fine?
Speaker 2: Melbourne?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need.
Speaker 5: With Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need to ride? This is Chris.
Speaker 3: Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgarriff.
Speaker 5: Hello, my friend, Karen. I've not seen you in over a month.
Speaker 3: I know how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm terrific. I am.
Speaker 1: Like many episodes, I'd like to start this one with a personal apology.
Speaker 5: I uh really dismissed.
Speaker 1: According to the audio clip that was posted to our Instagram, I very much dismissed your call for help when you were smelling toast.
Speaker 5: I was trying to make jokes the whole time.
Speaker 3: I would only expect you to do that.
Speaker 1: But I immediately after hearing it the other day, I did a little research, and indeed, there are several things that it could mean, but one of them is related to a minor your body avoiding an epileptic seizure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have to convince me that it's not good news to smell toast randomly. I did not have to convince you.
Speaker 1: See it's funny because with the backstory, I immediately thought it was like when the oh if your hand smells like peanut butter dut and then someone slaps your hand and it hits your face.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought you were about.
Speaker 5: To hit me in the face.
Speaker 1: I know when I'm being set up, But no, you were actually concerned about your health, and I just you know my defense mechanism.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing. The interaction expectation between you and I being stand up comedians is not the same as the audience, or even just the general listener that you embody when you listen to clips of our show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, armchair general listener, you know what I would have done. I love everyone live. I would love that everyone who's listening right now. This is not a personal.
Speaker 5: Attack, not in the least, but it is.
Speaker 1: Yes, It's it's hard to understand how like if there was an accident and a car flip, you'd start maniacally laughing. Yeah, it's hard for you to relate to that when you're just listening.
Speaker 5: It seems like we're self I share something.
Speaker 3: Well, unless you have the same weird disease coping mechanisms that we do, which I think a lot more people.
Speaker 2: You don't have to be.
Speaker 3: A stand up comedian to relate to our weird personalities.
Speaker 1: I don't think absolutely not. I think it's more common that that is your outlet. Now that I healthily have a stage place to do these things in a controlled environment, I think I act more appropriately out in the streets.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Good, I'm worried about you in the streets.
Speaker 1: I have been in these streets. You know what I saw the other day on my street. You're actually this is a good one.
Speaker 2: Oh, cold on.
Speaker 3: Is there an animal involved, yes? Is the animal hurt no? Does it have cancer?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Then go tell me this story.
Speaker 5: I do have some tragic news about the turtles.
Speaker 3: See it.
Speaker 1: No, it's the it's there is a cat in my neighborhood that I've seen twice, now what color black with white areas as well.
Speaker 5: Some my call them spots.
Speaker 1: Hangs out on the sidewalk and waits or or just looks around until it finds a car with an open window. Yes, will get climb into that car, any person's car, yep, and sit in the front seat. It loves getting into cars and sitting in the front street with good posture like it's driving. And I'm maybe imagining that part. It's not pretending to drive, but loves hanging out in cars.
Speaker 5: I love it, and I.
Speaker 1: Hope it's paying a little because why you're leaving your window down?
Speaker 3: Why are you in a city like this?
Speaker 1: I yes, And I'm a little worried that I'm just thinking of this now, but this sounds like bad news. I just hopefully that window isn't down because there's a dog in the car and then it'll attack the cat.
Speaker 5: But that's just something I know.
Speaker 3: You're looking for problems on that line's hypothetical that almost would never happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, I cannot talk about animals without the possibility of them being injured.
Speaker 5: I went right back.
Speaker 3: That's an opportunity to describe a hurt animal. You will jump on.
Speaker 1: This is a cat that feels empowered, great, and it is finding shelter and is also just having fun. It's the best version of a cat prank I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: One of my saddest I'll do the sad cat think if you're not going to that makes me think. When I lived in Silver Like, I had this cat, Rudy, and this was Rudy was the best cat. He was super fluffy, like his cat hair was dense. He was a black and white dense hair like a like an otter and really short, and so he was always really shiny and beautiful, and he wanted you to pick him up and hold him so like he was like kind of a rag doll in your hands. But he wasn't the rag doll.
Speaker 5: Type, that's right.
Speaker 3: He just was weirdly like, yay, someone's holding me. And when I lived in Silver Lake, he got attacked by codes and basically went off to die by himself.
Speaker 5: This is more tragic than any story I've ever told.
Speaker 1: Please continue, do you see?
Speaker 3: And so I like he was gone and I didn't know. It was like he's just gone, and I have to face that. But anytime I see a black and white cat when I'm on the east side or hear about it, I'm like, be Rudy. I don't think it could at this point because it would mean he was thirty nine years old or whatever. But I just I miss Rudy. He was rip Rudy. You were a great one.
Speaker 5: A message to you, Rudy.
Speaker 3: This truly is a message to you, Rudy.
Speaker 1: Yes, if for those second wave SKA fans get in here, maybe it's first.
Speaker 5: Who knows. There were so many waves with that SKA.
Speaker 3: I feel like that was second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they shouldn't have just announced every wave wave.
Speaker 2: Same with feminism, Yes exactly.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't feminism just stay popular if people weren't skanking to it every twenty years?
Speaker 3: His STA and feminism go hand in hand. Yeah, this podcast episode, we're going to explain to you how feminism.
Speaker 5: Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up.
Speaker 3: I'm racking my brain for like I never listened to ska really, but we did go to some skankin Pickle shows in the late nineties.
Speaker 5: I love skankin Pickle, love them, love them.
Speaker 1: I didn't know it was a movement when it started again, and I accidentally saw the most terribly named band ever Cherry Pop and Daddy's and this is before Zoot Suit, Ryot.
Speaker 5: And all that.
Speaker 1: But I just saw them at a show and I was like, I like rock or punk with horn section. This is amazing because it's like, Okay, here's a bunch of jazz guys. They got together with some punk rock guys. That's what I liked. But then when I had a name and all this history, I'm like, well, now I can't jump aboard some pandwagon and start wearing thin suspenders.
Speaker 3: You just can't. Like, you can't in terms of you don't want to be seen that way, you know.
Speaker 1: I like to revolt against popularity or groups. Yes, I thought it was my music. It was the only one in the audience. But yeah, I still there is the occasional ska song that just brings me back to me in a Brandy posey way.
Speaker 3: I mean, Brandy's holding out for ska. She'll keep it alive, and I'm positive that she's the one that can do it.
Speaker 1: She Brandy our friend painted her carb as a real big fish.
Speaker 5: It said real big fish on it.
Speaker 3: Yep, she was a huge fan.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know Brandy Posey from the Great two part episode where we go to the Krispy Kreme drive through for the first time. Oh, we've done it since, but we did it first with Brandy.
Speaker 5: You're right, that was a ground breaking what's I smell to I see?
Speaker 3: And now what if I just didn't answer you when you said you smell toast? And then I'm just like, I'm like, keep changing the subject.
Speaker 1: I do want to say that in this article it everything that could ever possibly happen to where it's like, well, I think now, it's just it takes away validity when it's thirty nine things it could be.
Speaker 5: So I think you're fine, but I do, well, it's too late. Now if I did maybe go.
Speaker 1: To a doctor so you know that toast thing, and they'll laugh, they'll laugh. They'll be like, oh, someone's been on the internet.
Speaker 3: What if the last thing on that list of possible problems is that you could get electrocuted by a toaster? Oh?
Speaker 2: My God, that's great. Stupid, I swell toast.
Speaker 5: It's probably just my friend alone.
Speaker 2: And tell it's me. I'm murdering you.
Speaker 3: I'm holding a toaster. How is Montana?
Speaker 5: It was great.
Speaker 1: Actually, I did a little sketch for one of my shows recorded on my watch, where I was like, Oh, I got this used Apple watch. I'm trying to figure it out. Oh, it looks like there's a recorded track on it. And there's an argument that I did with my Pelt Brooks, and we yeah, it's a guy in a bathtub. And the landlord comes over and he's like, you haven't paid rent. I see you've been going to best Buy. I'm gonna sell all that stuff and get your rent. He's like, you can't sell my stuff. What are you holding a toaster? And then I throw the toaster in the bathtub and all we did is turn on the water and the hair dryer and it sounds like.
Speaker 5: Brooks is being electrocuted.
Speaker 1: And I was just gonna play that on stage and like, here's a used watch. Hopefully there's no backstory without nothing nefarious. I only paid five dollars. There's a crack and it just bottle of blood. Anyway, I didn't work it out because even holding a microphone up to it, it really didn't register it.
Speaker 5: Oh, so it but it was a good idea.
Speaker 3: Did the audience get you?
Speaker 1: They kind of were trying to listen, but it was really hard until we started screaming and we made it way too long. It was like a two minute sketch. Oh, it needs to be fifteen seconds. But if you see me in the future, maybe I'll have ironed out the used watch sketch.
Speaker 3: I like the concept is really good, though, thank you. I wonder if you do it way way shorter where you're like, I hope there's nothing nefarious. And then it's like a series of ways things that people could be yelling while they're being robbed or whatever. Short, so it's literally people like get away from.
Speaker 2: My watch, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And it's different, like this watch has bounced around from tragedy to tragedy and I'm next.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's a great idea.
Speaker 3: It can't be. It has to be like a sentence of each moment, so the people don't have to like buy into a whole concept.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh, and then each one it's a different era. Maybe there's twenties music in the background. This is a time traveling watch that has been around for so many deaths.
Speaker 3: This watch has always existed.
Speaker 1: The Writer's Room, a podcast where Karen and I discuss sketches that will never come.
Speaker 3: To fruition, sketches that Chris is going to do during stand up sets. The hardest place to do a sketch. Yes, you're alone, there's no hats.
Speaker 1: And the people got to make it happen. After you do it, someone's going to call it a skit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's going to be your dad.
Speaker 5: I don't like your skits.
Speaker 3: Oh, your skitch and your little sketches and your skits.
Speaker 1: But yes, to answer your question, Montana was beautiful. There's baby deer in my dad's front yard. I videoed them and then I just watched them Bambi level cute cartoon animated deer that lay right by the window in the shade, and I opened the shades and there's baby deer. I'm like, how did I want to get away from this my whole childhood? Why did I want to go live at the beach, a place I then lived and immediately missed these baby deer?
Speaker 3: Well, you could find baby deer if you looks hard enough in Santa Monica.
Speaker 1: I yes, I just I don't know that I've ever lived somewhere where they'll be right outside my window.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a great I had a great time and relaxing.
Speaker 5: How was your tread?
Speaker 3: It was really nice. I went to see Bradford in Milwaukee. Oh yes, and well I also my.
Speaker 5: Badford is very sweet.
Speaker 1: I met Bradford at a show in was it Milwaukee?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yes, this is all lining up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get it now? Uh wait, okay, we're coming off the freeway and then what am I doing?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Uh? So it was we have been talking about it for a long time because he's lived there for whatever three years since COVID. They moved out of LA and to Milwaukee during COVID, and I was so scared, Like they were going to drive across the country and this was when like people were getting into fistfights because of masks and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you and I were hand washing or lettice with hands sand title yeah.
Speaker 3: And wiping down the cereal boxes and they're like, yeah, we're gonna go ahead and move across. And I was just like, you please be careful. I was so scared. I was just like all the threat in the world, and of course it was perfectly timed. They bought a house for one sixteenth of what you pay in Los Angeles, like wild and it's it's great.
Speaker 1: So yeah, a lot of people did that, I think, and it happened to be most of the people that book I independently produced comedy shows down because I've noticed.
Speaker 5: Where is this and what's this person used to do a show?
Speaker 1: And I'll look and they are happy with a picket fence somewhere in Illinois.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think like the next five years, everyone's going to be processing what actually happened to them during the COVID experience.
Speaker 5: We're all traumatized.
Speaker 3: We're all traumatized. I'm still getting over my absolutely, like I have a monologuing problem that I have to literally in meetings just shut my lips so I stopped talking.
Speaker 2: They're talking, won't end.
Speaker 5: It's so uh.
Speaker 1: Nick Vadorat, who's a comedian that I makes me laugh like no other, has a very funny joke about trying to different differentiate between you know, is this the trauma of COVID or am I just regular regular all not popular anymore?
Speaker 5: Like the uh oh, this is a are we Is this going to work?
Speaker 3: Well, it's I think across the street.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, OK, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is this gonna work? The most not helpful comment I could have ever made?
Speaker 3: Could you stop doing this?
Speaker 2: Is here?
Speaker 3: Let me let me try it again and I'll pull over on the other side. I was kind of confused, what's this creepy alley?
Speaker 1: Ooh, this is let's challenge someone to a dance off?
Speaker 3: How much kind alley? We're then a ball tonight?
Speaker 1: But I, uh, yes, it's we're all going We're still going through it.
Speaker 3: Still going through Wait, will you resay what you said? Nick Vatter outside? Because I wasn't well.
Speaker 1: I had trouble saying what I said because of the problem we're talking about. I still am having communication breakdowns.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 1: But his joke was what, Yes, it's that thing where you start telling someone's joke.
Speaker 5: And then I realized I kind of don't know.
Speaker 2: How it goes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I set myself up for that. I see, it's just in the joke. He's looking out the window.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't see anyone with masks on, Like in his mind it's still COVID. He's experiencing or quarantine. But it's just regular not being popular.
Speaker 2: Oh got it? Okay?
Speaker 5: And I butchered it both times. I hope he doesn't listen.
Speaker 3: I can guarantee he doesn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, no, he's a fan of us both.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have heard of Nick Vadaroth for a long time.
Speaker 3: Let's see if I get in front of somebody and make them honk at me. But he was one of those people. I always love it when there's somebody from a different town that people like, hey, have you seen this guy? It's like that is the most exciting thing about stand up, when someone is the new guy and then everyone's like excited about them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially when it was the actual word of mouth. Days now, it's like there are many people that I follow and I don't know their names, and I like their videos and I'm like, well, that's my new favorite joke, right, this person with eight hundred followers. But I have noticed that everyone I start to like, I see them grow in popularity, and I feel like an old timey producer that wants his cut.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Knew this person back when they had four videos, And where's my ten percent? I want to ask them I own the studio and I want a cut of all of all your acting.
Speaker 5: Pay on the movie. I pay the old classic double dip scene and thank you.
Speaker 1: That was my nineteen twenties movie producer. No change in voice. I'm one of the best.
Speaker 3: It was all vibe and I have to tell you, listener might not have gone all the way through your earbuds, but in this car it was the twenty Yeah.
Speaker 5: A lot of people would have to do a voice like this. I want twenty percent of all of it.
Speaker 1: See but no, No, that's not how you do it. No, people talk normal like them once the camera wasn't.
Speaker 3: Rolling, once, they weren't showing off.
Speaker 5: It's just a style of acting.
Speaker 1: And then one day a man named Marlon Brando was like, what if I just talk like a normal person while the camera rolls?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What if I were a tank top and act casual?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And the new style of acting was born.
Speaker 1: Yes, hopefully someone doesn't emulate it to a T in the future named Tom Hardy.
Speaker 5: He's very Brandow.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's true.
Speaker 1: I'm always picking Hollywood fights in this podcast.
Speaker 3: Did you ever see the t the FX series Taboo that Tom Hardy stars in and Tom Hardy's dad wrote, no, it's so good. Really, you see some brando level. His dad's a playwright. Oh wow, it's really good.
Speaker 5: That's ringing bells taboo, taboo, I believe. Let us watch it. We can see it.
Speaker 1: Today's guest thinks of it because today's guest is a TV critic.
Speaker 5: I like to eat into very much.
Speaker 1: Yes, podcast based on TV shows and also a lot of articles for uh, you know.
Speaker 5: Old rags that I've heard of.
Speaker 1: I see Ashley coming. Hopefully we didn't make kur walk too far? And should I give some indication that we are the people?
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, Hi, just letting you know we aren't strangers. Why there, come.
Speaker 3: On, sorry, we made you walk.
Speaker 5: We're you right now.
Speaker 1: We're already mad recording. So I've just now you know, today's guests from clubs and colleges across the country put your ears together for Ashley Ray. Hello, Hello, Yes, that I warned us about the curb?
Speaker 3: Was that the curb?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we curbed up a little.
Speaker 2: It is a tricky curb here it is.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's like they made it fancy so people can turn into those new condos.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's oh, they immediately flip a U turn when they read the sign.
Speaker 5: If you lived here, you'd be home right now.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah yes, And people just then they get mad because lots of uh people who don't live over here park there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh do you live where we were just at?
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah, you're like two houses down.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to make sure we didn't make you walk many many before.
Speaker 3: Five degree heat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can handle it. I'm strong girl. All right.
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how's it going to Texas? Good? How are you? You're from Texas? Yeah, Dallas.
Speaker 6: I was born where my family is, so I'm used to the like heat where you can't breathe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it can get I started in Austin and would drive to Dallas to do the Addison improv, and I remember it being.
Speaker 5: A special level of heat. Yeah, Like Houston's more muggy and there's bug in you're sweaty. Yeah, Dallas was like super hot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just dry, can't breathe, like your car needs ac Oh.
Speaker 1: It's I can't believe the number of people I knew, Like my friend Matt was a comic.
Speaker 5: He had a Honda Dell Soul that with no roof.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people it's just more popularly call it a convertible, but it had no air conditioning, and I didn't understand how he lived.
Speaker 5: His life that way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my aunt has had a BMW in Dallas for seven years with no ac oh, and she just thinks it's so cool to have a BMW. She like won't up read it or get it, and she like, I guess, can't afford to get it fixed because it's a lot for a BMWUS.
Speaker 3: That's really funny. And that's I wonder if that's building like some sort of a tenacity or like a level where she can handle more stuff because she's like forcing herself to suffer.
Speaker 6: I mean, it definitely seems like it's impacting her negatively mental health, Livin.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's good for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not good to slowly cook your brain, although they.
Speaker 3: Say saunas are really good for your true. Yeah, so I don't know. Maybe she's killing two birds, yeah, very true.
Speaker 1: It would be therapeutic if a Texas day was only fifteen minutes long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's would be perfect.
Speaker 1: And then you went right into a cryo chamber. Did you start stand up in Dallas?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: I started in Chicago when I was a kid, we moved to northern Illinois, so I mostly grew up in Rockford, Illinois in Chicago. After college, went back there, and that's when I was like, you know, spoken word is embarrassing. I don't want to do this anymore. I want to do something less embarrassing, so I'll try stand up comedy.
Speaker 5: Did you start in slam poetry?
Speaker 2: It was I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was huge.
Speaker 6: Okay, this was like two thousand and nine, right, Like I in high school was super into Audio DeFranco. Yeah, and I would like perform her songs like spoken word poems at like our talent shows.
Speaker 5: I think it's more perfect than that. I love it.
Speaker 6: And like in college I joined speak for our spoken word team. I would like compete at the Bowery. I was in like national slam competitions and in Chicago, obviously the scene is huge there, like the Moth, That's what I was doing, And like after every show, all these white people would come up to me like, oh my gosh, that was so moving, You're teaching us so much, and I would just kind of be like, I just want to make jokes. I just like the funny parts. I'm not here to like teach you. Oh my gosh, that's the situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that person is a lunatic and that is going on' such a normal haircut. It's always amazing to see a perfectly normal looking face act like Ted Bundy of the Road.
Speaker 3: They're literally listener weaving in and out of traffic, like trying to catch each other and get in front of each other and slam on the brakes.
Speaker 5: And now they're taking it into a residentia. Well enjoyed short life you have.
Speaker 3: Sorry you were competing at a national level.
Speaker 6: Yeah, uh for spoken word in Chicago.
Speaker 2: I would like compete in the moth and stuff. Oh my god. Now he's given people the jerk off symbol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that guy is getting giving maybe gang signs to.
Speaker 1: Say, yeah, I was just showcasing his many fingertaps.
Speaker 5: I do you think I got these?
Speaker 2: You know from I'm not Gonna fight someone a far He's.
Speaker 3: Like, well, this one is a little mustache on the side of my finger.
Speaker 2: Actually very hip in two thousand.
Speaker 5: They're all old poems he used to read, I always bring it back.
Speaker 3: So what was the moment where you were like, aside from the embarrassment, where you're like, I'm going to do comedy.
Speaker 6: It was like, so I would do these like spoken word things like short like you know, storytelling, and I always just like telling the funny parts of the stories.
Speaker 2: I like when people would laugh.
Speaker 6: And I hated when like these like you know, well meaning liberals would come up to me after like that was so moving, thank you for teaching us about the blacks femail experience.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. And I would just be like, but just like laugh though, right, we're trying to have fun here.
Speaker 6: And I was in Chicago and Sarah Sherman who's now you know on S and l Huge and Beck O'Neill, who's another comedian I love. They were hosting the Cole's open Mic, which is like the best, biggest open mic in Chicago, and they were trying to just get more women to do it. And they were like, look, you already do spoken word, you may as well try stand up. It's also embarrassing. Just come to this open mic. We'll put you up and give it a shot. And the first time I did it, I fell in love. I was just like, I love doing this. I think I did five minutes on Gypsy Rose. Actually I'm very ahead.
Speaker 2: Of my time. This was like twenty seventeen.
Speaker 6: That's right, Mommy, Dad and DearS had just come out, and I had like a five minute set of jokes on her.
Speaker 1: Nice soft I noticed, though, there was a comedy scene in Boise, Idaho that's kind of changed since this woman, Lisa Young, she used to run the Funny Bone there. She was so passionate about the poetry scene. They had like three nights and she was trying to get a lot of them to do stand up. She had like a master plan for all these comics, and in a lot of comics were really good as a result. I think it makes for a good stand up, it does.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like spoken word storytelling.
Speaker 6: You have to kind of be willing to like take your sad thoughts in sad life and turn it into entertainment. Yeah, so it's just one more step to be like, okay, well let me make it funny.
Speaker 5: Right right.
Speaker 1: I think for me it would have helped because it's like, oh, the actual words.
Speaker 5: Don't just go up there and riff on a topic. You should write.
Speaker 1: Because it took me a long time, I still don't necessarily write things out and then memorize them and go out there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the comics who are like, no, I write my jokes down and I like, you know, write them again and again.
Speaker 2: Like that's crazy.
Speaker 3: So what are you doing?
Speaker 2: You don't just like.
Speaker 6: Write a premise and get on stage on an open mic and just kind of feel it out.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: It makes so much sense though, the like that pipeline because you you're up there and you are being so vulnerable spoken word it is like you you are gutting it out in a way where it's like, is comedy any harder? I think it might be slightly easier. Yeah, I mean I wouldn't know. You have to tell me.
Speaker 2: I mean I guess with spoken word, it's you all.
Speaker 6: You're trying to also get people to feel that emotional pull or like you have to use that cadence like what I'm saying is the most important thing that could ever be said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right. And like my freshman year, my.
Speaker 6: Biggest poem that like one in the like Northeast Slam poetry contesting was called I don't hook Up, I Fuck And it was like this treaties against like hookup culture. That was like I'm an adult, Okay, I don't need hookup culture.
Speaker 3: Did the people were they on their feet at the end. Yes.
Speaker 6: Oh, all these like seventeen and eighteen year olds are just like, oh my gosh, this is revolutionary. And I read it and like saw a clip of it a few years ago, it was like, this is the most embarrassing thing.
Speaker 2: Please, I can never have this on the internet.
Speaker 1: Was it just because there wasn't enough jokes in it and you wanted to tell The.
Speaker 6: Sad thing is that I tried to get a lot of jokes in it right, and they were not good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have a come from a similar just coming from improv, and I'd always go for the joke and disappoint everyone else on stage. And then I like heard comics that tell joke like Mitchadberg and people that told one liners, and I'm like, oh, I think I should do this because it's a lot less pressure, oh than going through all these building scenes and.
Speaker 5: Then ruining other people's scenes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Mitch Edburg definitely was someone who inspired my stand up and just my desire to want to perform. Like in high school, before I even knew I wanted to be a comedian, I would dress up is Mitch Heedburg and do his jokes at like talent shows, and I would just be like, yeah, I'm just doing a Mitch Hedburg set as well.
Speaker 5: I'm glad that I brought him up.
Speaker 6: Then yeah, that's amazing, very funny when you're like fourteen.
Speaker 3: Sure, so absolutely, also so satisfying because they really it is the all those little self contained moments where it's like you with his material, you get to kill the entire time. Yeah, like they're gonna laugh whether you say it.
Speaker 2: Or oh yeah.
Speaker 6: And my English teacher came up, He's like, did you write those that was hilarious? And I straight up was just like yeah I did. Yeah, that's all me, that's all me. I knew he wasn't gonna watch Comedy Central.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was a skateboarding shoe that came out one year and it was called The Story, And in the tread the skater whose pro model shoe it was, had a story and there was six or seven Hadburg jokes in it, but it was before anyone outside of being a hardcore fan of comedy would be able to pick them out. And I was like so furious that it was on a shoe and it didn't say Hedberg wrote this.
Speaker 3: You know which, so it almost was like if when I'm really I eat rice when I'm hungry for three hundred.
Speaker 2: And something or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that.
Speaker 3: Written on a shoe with no credit within.
Speaker 1: A story that this guy, but he was saying, this is my story.
Speaker 6: They steal from Mitch all the time, especially on TikTok, since that's just how the app works. I will see so many people just like using it as like quotes on there, you know, the thing where they put text and then like, I don't make sad faces in the background like they do that now with all comedians. It's just yes, And then people just go, no, it's a meme. That's how it's supposed to be, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's literally I've I've seen it with other people's tweets where it's like a person making a face and it's the copy. And then one day it was one of my tweets like this isn't that good? Yeah, And I'm really I'm half embarrassed because I know that's mine, and then I'm half like really proud, where I'm like, oh, you wanted to steal it, that's great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like okay, I guess it resonated with people, and then I'm like in I don't know. It's like if you try to be like, hey, that was mine, then it's just like you look like a loser because people are like this is TikTok.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the beginning of Twitter, that's what I always said, where I was like, why would people want to put their notebook on the internet, because anyone can say that was my idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it also is time stamping and showing that when and where you thought of it first.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I've seen it go both ways.
Speaker 6: I mean there was I think there's legit cases where you know, you've had really big comics be like I tweeted this exact like Zillo bit and then Saturday Night Live made this sketch like, you know, a year later.
Speaker 2: But then there was.
Speaker 6: Also recently this woman who like tweeted a very very common joke about Nancy Reagan, you know, like, oh, stocks are so there, like Nancy Reagan on the MGM but back lot, which classic old joke. Sure, and then they made that same joke in an episode of the Boys, and she went on Twitter demanding that the Boys give her a writing credit that this was her joke and they stole it.
Speaker 1: I literally just saw it two days ago, right, it didn't even fit in that boy's scene. Yeah, it was like, let me get the stoke out of my met Like even the actor felt uncomfortable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it just felt like pushing and kind of like, oh, that's a joke, and it was like, well, clearly they didn't steal this from you. It's just a hack joke, and you should not feel proud that you also tweeted it.
Speaker 2: Also, when I.
Speaker 3: Started stand up, I did a lot of things where I quote unquote wrote a joke and what actually happened is I remembered a joke from television from television, and so that happened once where I had a joke about like a girl that was being very territorial about her boyfriend, and then I was like, why don't you pee a circle around him? Which I thought was the most amazing joke, and then like whatever, four years later, I saw it on Friends and I was like, they totally stole my joke. And I sent it to some comic we know and they were like, I'm really sorry to tell you this. That is the oldest and I was.
Speaker 5: Just like, so funny.
Speaker 1: That's what Billy Vayne Davis did to me when my my dad would.
Speaker 5: I would use.
Speaker 1: My dad's jokes when I first started, but a lot of them were from Seinfeld. I did not know that the whole who's getting all those blood tide gets blood stains and grass staines out of your clothes? Are they marketing themselves towards murderers? I don't know what It was some version of that. And he told me that's a that tide bit is Seinfeld through and through?
Speaker 2: Oh, I did not know.
Speaker 5: And I called and screamed it my dad.
Speaker 1: One time I got a mug with a joke on it that was the way too close.
Speaker 5: Someone sent me a mug.
Speaker 1: As a gift about what's what all these owls graduating from something?
Speaker 5: Because owls always have graduation tats.
Speaker 1: The illustration told the joke, and I was like, where I want to that's my joke. And my friend made me the mug and send it to me. I didn't realize it was a thoughtful gift.
Speaker 6: So your friend's actually listening to you, and you're like, I can't believe you do.
Speaker 1: At You know when it sucks because I had assume my friend and he was just doing a nice thing.
Speaker 3: Well, he didn't have the rights to make that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you gotta pay the usage, right pees.
Speaker 3: I was in a situation at lunch today where I couldn't actually eat the sandwich I had because I was in a meeting and that people were watching me.
Speaker 2: Oh my breakfast this morning?
Speaker 3: Did it really?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I like ordered my oatmeal, and then these two people I work with were like, can we hop on a last minute call By the time we're done? My oatmeal schoold because I didn't want to eat it with them all looking, and they insisted the skin on top.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well, so I was thinking, should we go to Rick's drive through?
Speaker 2: It's so good? I mean, I would love to eat something and drink something. It's really good.
Speaker 5: I'm all for it.
Speaker 3: They just have beverages too.
Speaker 2: Right Oh yeah, yeah, fun?
Speaker 6: They got milkshakes they got when I did I did what's that podcast where the people they eat food you go to restaurants The boy Doboys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, of course that.
Speaker 6: Was the restaurant I chose is Rix. It is my favorite neighborhood place.
Speaker 3: Nice, okay, well you can be our guide.
Speaker 2: Their drives are great. They got pie, they got milk chicks, they got everything there.
Speaker 1: Wait, does this place bost having something world famous.
Speaker 2: They kind of do.
Speaker 1: I think that we are about to find out like spaghetti.
Speaker 2: Yes, their big thing is there spaghetti.
Speaker 6: Whenever it's gone, they put like a big thing up that's like spaghetti is gone and it's like a big deal. And then when spaghetti is back, it is like spaghetti is back and it's truly lines out the doors.
Speaker 3: Should we all get big bowls of spaghetti to eat in the car?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm just in the Yeah. It's like the mac ram of that play ye seasonal. Yeah, this it must be a real hit there. Yes, I love that independent drive.
Speaker 5: It does say world famous ricks people know Rick Rick.
Speaker 6: I also think they have the best La hot dog Do I do?
Speaker 3: I do it here?
Speaker 2: Oyeah you can turn it in this way and then like go down. Yeah perfect.
Speaker 3: I've never been here. It's so crazy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they la for us to have this location and want in Inglewood. Oh okay, some of the best like chili fries. It's just it's a little hidden gem.
Speaker 3: Okay, awesome, We're gonna have to take a look.
Speaker 5: At this on the edge of ice.
Speaker 1: See what the I don't know the status of spaghetti or not true?
Speaker 2: True. It wasn't on the side, so we do not know.
Speaker 5: Hungry, but I shouldn't eat.
Speaker 3: You could have just like one taco.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I kind of want to taco.
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Is that what you want?
Speaker 5: And iced coffee? Is that a terrible combination to most?
Speaker 3: I mean it's your life.
Speaker 2: I'll do the ice coffee. And you know they have ice coffee a guarantee, we all? I actually do not I know they have.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you a question? Do you have ice coffee? Okay? Oh, they have raspberry iced tea? They have like iced tea, raspberry.
Speaker 5: Iced tea, all of regular iced tea.
Speaker 3: Can we get a regular iced tea? And what would you like?
Speaker 2: I'll get a tortata is it flavored?
Speaker 3: And a horchata regular sized? And a raspberry iced tea regular sized? On a lease a raspberry and two raspberry iced teas? And can we also get an asada taco and one of your ground beef hardshell tacos? Please? Actually anything to eat on? Alise?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's gonna be it.
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Can you are you allowed to park in the drive?
Speaker 5: That's what I wondered, And now I saw the lines.
Speaker 1: In which she was parked and then I started to think we were wrong.
Speaker 5: But we're in the drive room. We belong here too.
Speaker 6: But now that we're past the thing, I will say the spaghetti not that good, Okay, if Y ask me, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think the spaghetti is that good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can really lower the bar when it's drived through spaghetti.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's no one's going to compare it to.
Speaker 2: Sau Oh no, yeah, then why are they here? I don't know.
Speaker 6: If it's like, there's not a great pasta place in La so people go for this, but.
Speaker 2: There's not a great drive through.
Speaker 1: Possibly every time you tell me to simply grab your purse, I turn into my mom's son and.
Speaker 5: I stick my fist in there and just start routing around. I've done it over and.
Speaker 3: Over, trying to get served.
Speaker 1: I just get, oh, where's that redson?
Speaker 3: I think there should be more drive through everything in this town.
Speaker 2: Yes, we all drive, and I don't understanding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, let's just face the facts that we don't like to get out of our cars. And no one it's not just a catchy song, but no one walks in La.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: I had a friend from Chicago some visit.
Speaker 6: She walked to the whole foods that's like around the corner from me, And she was like, why were people staring at me?
Speaker 2: Isn't that because you're crazy for doing that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: People are worried about you as you walk down the street.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everyone that visits.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, I figured we do this, this, this, and okay, first of all, we're only going to be able to do two things. Yeah, and your idea of walking to all these things not at all. There's absolutely no no, no, no way, no no no. Yeah, we'll just shoot over from Lax to Burbank and then back to you know, Long Beach.
Speaker 6: We just walked from like we ho to Santa Monica and then and it's like, no, that's it was not what we do.
Speaker 1: I need you to zoom into whatever map you're looking at and consult the key.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you will see a highway you can't walk on it.
Speaker 3: What was the first neighborhood you moved to when you moved.
Speaker 6: To LA I was in mid City, which was actually pretty nice. It was you know, mostly families. I was close to the comedy store.
Speaker 5: That's what.
Speaker 6: Kind of it's like that neighborhood that's like, what is it like Wilshire just down to I guess it's kind of Adams.
Speaker 5: Okay, I know exactly. Yes, it's so funny.
Speaker 1: I always when someone says mid City, I think Century City because I feel like that.
Speaker 3: To me, it's very na thank you, thank you, thank you. My friend used to live in mid City, had a really beautiful house.
Speaker 6: There's nice houses over there, Yeah, and like it probably honestly the nicest apartment I've had.
Speaker 2: I love my apartment now, but that one.
Speaker 6: It just had these huge windows, central location parking.
Speaker 2: And I loved the.
Speaker 6: Neighborhood because even though there's not a lot of places to go out, it's quiet and good restaurants. But then I had the world's worst roommate. I tried to like wait her out. I tried to be like, she's gonna go, I'm gonna get this apartment and I will stay here. And she was so awful. It was like she just was doing whatever she could to get me to leave.
Speaker 3: Can you give examples maybe of how awful?
Speaker 2: Oh my, okay.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 6: She would shower in the dark with the door open because she didn't want to clean the bathroom and seeing the dirt made her uncomfortable, so she would wash her plants in the bathroom, like she'd put them on the bathtub, like, let the plants get dirt everywhere. And then she would shower and be like, I'm just gonna shower with the door close, with the door open and the lights off so I don't see the dirt.
Speaker 2: And then I would be like in my room.
Speaker 6: Listening to music in my headphones, and I would go into the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Thinking, no one's in here.
Speaker 6: Oh, walked in on her like four times, and every time she'd act like I was the crazy person.
Speaker 5: Her dirt it was her plant dirt.
Speaker 6: Yes, her dirt. She would never clean the bathroom. I gleaned it every single time I lived there.
Speaker 1: I want a there's that show. I think it's called The Worst Roommates Ever. And even just came out I'm so already and I first, lady, what are you thinking?
Speaker 2: She tried to take your kid and you just stay so.
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 5: I yes?
Speaker 1: But also at the same time, that's pretty convenient that she had a hard to raise special needs kid in her roommate's like, no, it's my kid.
Speaker 5: I'm like, well, this is actually if if.
Speaker 6: But then she was she's just just giving her. She was ordering mersa on the internet.
Speaker 1: Yes, and yeah, I've I've rewatched a few of them. But I like the idea of some of the episodes just being dirt shower, ignoring dirt in the shower, like actual relatable.
Speaker 3: Not mur not murder because it's on part in some ways in terms of day to day life, where you're just like, hey, when I walk into the bathroom, there's just a bare minimum of not dirten yre because it's the bathroom, because it's the bathroom, not the garden.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 6: She would use a Diva cup and if you're not familiar, they can be kind of messy, but yeah, you're supposed to just kind of get it all in the bowl, but she would get it on like the underpart of the toilet seat rim and refuse to clean it.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: Like I didn't let that truly get to me until one day she had like a guy friend over, and the guy friend I hear him like, go, like, O, can I use the bathroom. He goes in there and I just immediately hear him walk out and he just says, I hear him go, there's blood all over the inside of your toilet seat.
Speaker 2: And she blamed it on me. Oh, I have heard her through the door.
Speaker 6: Going, oh, yeah, my roommate is such a mess, and I was like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Oh what? God? I was like, I have miss tampons over here. That is all you.
Speaker 1: Oh God, I wish you'd burst out and called her on it right then.
Speaker 5: I don't care what romance budding, what's happened.
Speaker 2: I was so upset.
Speaker 6: And the worst part is that instead I just went out there and very loudly cleaned the toilet and then I went in the living room was like, I cleaned the toilet for you, and she knew.
Speaker 2: She I was like, you know the deal here.
Speaker 3: But it's almost like that level of passive aggression, not on your part but on her part. And then you're like, okay, fine, you want to do this like here, I just cleaned it, and it's like you just played right into her hands.
Speaker 5: Yeah. She's like, oh, I got what I wanted.
Speaker 3: It ultimate manipulation where you're trying to get back at her and then basically doing chores.
Speaker 1: She just and she invites another guy over. Sorry, that's my roommate's plant.
Speaker 6: Oh, just like always, those are my roommate's dishes. She was awful, and the last shraw was. I was on tour. I was doing shows in Boston and I get a text message from one of her friends that lives in a different city, who I like, kind of know, but not that well. And she was like, Hey, just FYI, people told me to tell you that you need to get a new key for your apartment because your roommate.
Speaker 2: Changed all the locks.
Speaker 5: What.
Speaker 2: And I'm just like what, why would she do that?
Speaker 6: And she's like, oh, well, I guess she got locked out and you weren't there, and instead of like asking the landlord for the extra key, she just had all the locks changed.
Speaker 5: I am furious. Do you know where there's person is right now? I didn't let's go let's drop by. Let's don't drop by.
Speaker 6: She's no longer in the city of la She totalled five cars and got three DUIs and decided to go back.
Speaker 2: She didn't like it.
Speaker 3: She was trying to get someone to send her away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and plants weren't doing the trick.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And when I moved out, I cause she like had been pulling out our least agreement to try to be like you can't leave yet, blah blah blah, and she like left it on the table and on the back I got a sharpie and I just wrote, you really should leave La. I don't think this place is for you, and it's gonna destroy you. I don't know another human in the city who has totaled five cars and under year that under under a year, and every accident was her fault. One of them she hit a parked food car like a food truck, and then the food truck got the ticket because when the cops came, she started like crying, and she's like this cute little white girl and she's like, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, I didn't know what even happened, and the food truck got the ticket. That's fucked exactly.
Speaker 3: But I have to say, just in fairness, when I lived in Sacramento, a place I did not want to live, I got in three car accidents in a year, and when I had to call and tell my parents about the third one, my mom goes, I'm coming up and getting you tomorrow, and I was just like okay, and I had to move home. Like my mother's like, we're not fucking doing this funny.
Speaker 6: We should like laid the law down, and instead her family would just be like, here's money for another car babe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's bad. She had an old lady head on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in a car, in a car she was making a left and just decided. I don't know, I thought the lady would stop for me, even though she didn't not have an arrow or anything.
Speaker 5: Oh, I am so mad at this person.
Speaker 1: I'm madder than the murderers on the show we're talking about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would rather be friends with a lady ordering mersa online than live with that girl again.
Speaker 3: And so lady's kind of trying to kiss your ass a little bit and like make it all go well until she poisons you. It's not daily attacks.
Speaker 6: I bet she cleaned the bathtub when she was living with that lady.
Speaker 1: Oh, so many things are flashing now. I'm so I'm glad that I live alone right now? Are you alone?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: I'm alone?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: After that, I truly was just like I could never have a roommate again.
Speaker 6: Got my own place. Yeah, and now I'm in Silver Lake the best. I love it over here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really it's so good over here. And also it's so nice.
Speaker 2: To live alone.
Speaker 6: It's yeah, I I you know that I was. It was my twenties.
Speaker 2: I tried. I can never do it again.
Speaker 3: You did your best.
Speaker 2: I don't even know that I could live with someone I was dating at this point.
Speaker 3: Well, also, I think we're Are you in a house by yourself during COVID, Yes, yeah, me too, And I think it Like at the beginning, I was like, oh, I'm scared. I hope I don't have a nervous breakdown or because I'm alone as long. And at this point I'm like, oh, I got through all of the dark night of the soul of that, and now I'm like, this is what I prefer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was starting to get worried about how comfortable, how much fun I could have by myself. I didn't anticipate that. Yeah, like this has been a party.
Speaker 6: I love it, and you don't have the guilt of I'm supposed to be places. That was the best part of COVID. Oh yo, but I was invited, I'm supposed to be.
Speaker 2: There is none of that.
Speaker 1: I always say that nothing was expected of me, and all my gray hair went away.
Speaker 5: It was the best.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yes, it sucks, nothing's going on career or whatever. Yeah, the happiness is pretty hard to ignore it.
Speaker 6: All those people who did that was horrible, very sad and yet not making line of like just the no oh fomo, just the guilt free yesh, gotta stay in all.
Speaker 2: Weekend, gotta watch more TV.
Speaker 6: Yep, no one cares that I'm binging all of Sex in the City and my movies now that.
Speaker 5: I haven't shaken. How many things from that time? Have you?
Speaker 1: Are you disappointed that you're still experiencing today? Like, are are you still having trouble going to things and watching?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Too much?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I still cannot get into the rhythm of being social again. Like I used to be someone who was like, go out to a bar, like after a show, I'd be like, oh, everybody's probably just hanging out here. I'll just go stop by and end up like you know, hopp into different shows, different bars all night.
Speaker 2: And now like I will be like, when exactly do I.
Speaker 6: Need to be at the show for me to walk on stage and immediately leave right after? Like if I get there at eight fifteen, and I'll be like, what eight twenty and we're good?
Speaker 3: Like I feel like because it was so comfortable, even though it was scary as hell and very likebviously traumatizing to everybody, there's a comfort level that now everything seems really hard. Yeah, like all those kinds of social the social energy is something that like you need it to get it, like you have, it has to already be happening almost. It's like a momentum thing for me. So then I'm like, well, I can't cold go to this party when I haven't gone to a party in four years, right, So I just keep not doing it where it's like because I don't like being uncomfortable ever at all, because I was so comfortable all through COVID just being like, oh, I don't ever have to risk anything. I don't have to do anything that I don't like doing.
Speaker 1: Well, the good news is this podcast, what you're experiencing right now, has replaced parties, at least for me. At the end of the episode, you'll feel like you went to a thing and even hung out by a pool FIRMA.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's all I really need.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: I can't promise the swimming pool party. I just kind of.
Speaker 3: Said that, But if I start having parties at my house, I will invite you, Ashley, and then you can do to put a big toe in see what happens. I'll do it leave whenever.
Speaker 2: You'll give it a shot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like I used to throw a huge house parties, birthday parties, and I don't think I've thrown a party since before COVID.
Speaker 2: Like I just kind of was like I don't want people in my space, right, Like I didn't just like, no, this is just my thing now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been meaning to have a housewarming party for my place and I've been there four and a half years.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I've been at my place like three and a half years and I have not had a housewarming party.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just want someone else's cast for all dishes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And my friends are like, oh, you finally left that horrible roommate. You should celebrate, And I'm like, I'll get around to it and celebrating, but just being alone here, that's the celebration.
Speaker 3: What Also, I love though, And I think I always forget because when I'm like I have to go to a party. In my mind, that means I have to walk and be like hello everyone and then start doing some It's like you can walk into a party in silence, Yeah, talk to only the people you know, and leave twenty minutes later. No one gives a show with me, right, no one cares?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can just go in and listen to other people and leave.
Speaker 5: You have to say a word. But does that sound fun? I got to go in and do a dance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's that's the old me.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think it's like you didn't say hi to me. No, no, no.
Speaker 1: What if I go in, act like I'm going to do a dance, put a lampshade on my head, and then I just listened to people.
Speaker 5: It's the best. It's the best.
Speaker 3: About It is quite a way to party.
Speaker 5: Actually read online. We do research. I don't did the research. The sweet on least next Dude does the research. But it says you grew up in a house that had a daycare.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh, I used to live next to a daycare, and so I worked at the daycare for years and I loved it.
Speaker 5: Did what was your How much of your life was spent? All of it? Really?
Speaker 6: Literally when my mom opened the daycare when I was like nine months old, because at the time she had a job in Chicago and we lived in Rockford. It's like a two hour drive between the cities, and she would like drop me off at a daycare, go drive into the city, work, pick me up and she was like, I hate this. I could just start a daycare and spend more time with my daughter, and.
Speaker 2: So she did.
Speaker 6: We had a two story house and we basically lived upstairs and the entire downstairs was a daycare, like all just.
Speaker 2: Child's size seating.
Speaker 6: Like I like, friends would come over and I would be like, oh, sorry, the only place we have for use it is like this little like kindergarten table.
Speaker 5: They're on little tykes, like little.
Speaker 6: Tax equipment, and like I think my in high school, my mom finally got a couch down there because I was like, it would be cool to kind of have a real living room.
Speaker 5: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: Everywhere there's your friends sit, there's just a wet cracker between the couch.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, yeah, so many wet goldfish.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And she did a first, second, and third shift six months old yeah, no six or no, six weeks old to twelve.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: And because I lived there, like my brother and I had to be CPR certified.
Speaker 2: You had to have background checks.
Speaker 6: I like started getting fingerprinted when I was twelve years old.
Speaker 2: Wow, Oh my god, just to live in my house.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, just to go downstairs truly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like it was like to go downstairs and lifty, or you have to have a background check as like a thirteen year old girl.
Speaker 3: Does that mean that you're kind of like you have this rock solid portfolio now behind you where you're like from the time of twelve, I can prove that I've always been an upstanding citizen.
Speaker 2: Kind yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: And like I did start working for my mom, Like I started working with the daycare kids and taking care of them, probably when I was eight years old. I started like changing diapers, carrying kids, like helping with field trips, and by the time I was thirteen, I could like wrangle a room of like fifteen children.
Speaker 5: That part I liked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the wrangling, yes, but I did it in the wrong way. I'm like, who wants to get sprayed with a hose? And then the parents are come and I just had them web kids and sandy wet clothes and they were like they loved me.
Speaker 5: I had zero, there.
Speaker 1: Was no I was just my my friend, my roommate's friend. That was all my credentials. I know that in Montana at the time, you could not a male childcare worker, couldn't change diapers, And I'm like, yank God, So I would just call up Lanti's grandma.
Speaker 5: We got one, there's a live one, and then I just watch.
Speaker 6: That was a surprising rule in also Illinois, they like mail daycare workers aren't allowed to change diapers, and I was good.
Speaker 2: I remember me like, this is sexist.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah it was we at the time, but it was all It also was like that was my biggest fear of having to do. Like when she asked me, do you want to work here occasionally since you're right next door, I was like, I have some diaper questions and yeah, and.
Speaker 3: She's like, don't worry about the diaper's pervert. No, not your area.
Speaker 2: Like I can change a diaper one handed now.
Speaker 6: And I'll like talk to like new moms or parents and they're like, I've never even touched a diaper, and I'm just like how Yeah, they're like, oh, because most people have normal childhoods where they didn't have to like wake up to screaming children at six in the morning.
Speaker 3: But I bet those little kids loved a slightly older kid being around.
Speaker 6: Okay, I mean I was like the queen of the place. Yeah you were not only because I lived there. Like like when I was younger, there were kids my age, and when I had favorite daycare kid friends, I would be like, you're allowed to come up to my room and play with a good toys.
Speaker 2: And I'd bring up like my three favorite female friends up and.
Speaker 6: We'd be like, I'm in a you can play with the good barbies that are up in my room. But then also, and if there were kids I didn't like, I'd be like, yeah, you can go play on the outside playground.
Speaker 2: Actually that's right.
Speaker 3: But getting them used to this is the politics of childhood. You get used to it. Yeah, those only children, That's.
Speaker 2: What I was doing, you know, and I loved it.
Speaker 6: Like a lot of the kids I'm still really close with, which it's wild to watch.
Speaker 2: Them grow up. And I'm like, what do you mean, You're like in college.
Speaker 1: Many of the kids that were in my daycare have their own kids now, and those kids are already riding bikes yeah, and driving cars.
Speaker 6: They have my mom babysitting their kids, and I'm just like, this is so wild, Like.
Speaker 5: Oh, your mom still has the daycare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she still has the daycare.
Speaker 6: She eventually moved it to Texas and she started doing like daycare and elderly care. So now she takes care of babies and old people.
Speaker 5: Wow, this is a.
Speaker 3: Very cross question. But does she fucking make bank?
Speaker 2: She does. We can cut that out.
Speaker 3: If you want, but it's all I can think about where I'm like the idea that she quit her career and basically was like, oh no, no, I'm feeling this niche. It's such a need in this country. Yeah, especially people who know what the fuck they're doing.
Speaker 6: And she's I mean she's been doing it for like just over thirty years.
Speaker 2: She started it, like.
Speaker 6: You know, just kind of independently in the house, but she went back to school to get her degree in early childhood education. So like after that you're allowed you can like charge higher rates and like taken like children whose rates are subsidized by the state. Oh so that's like how you make so much money because it's you know, kind of like Section eight housing where the parents only have to pay a certain amount and then the state like pays all the rest of it, and like you get reimbursed for the money you spend on food and stuff, which I think is really the biggest thing about a daycare home is I was learning how to cook for twenty people by the time it was like ten.
Speaker 5: That's amazing to the elderly folks hang out with the kids.
Speaker 2: They yeah, I love it, Yeah they do. It's honestly the suggest thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I love it.
Speaker 6: Like she has this one kid right now, the stacred kid who is obsessed with vacuuming because he is in love with this one ninety eight year old woman my mom watches, who is like love it forces anyone to vacuum if they come into her house. She's like one of those strict old ladies. That's like, if you walk in my living room, you vacuum on the way out. In this little like six year old boy, as soon as like he sees Miss Irma, he's like, miss Irma, vacuum, vacuum, miss Erma, how can I vacuum?
Speaker 2: And he loves it.
Speaker 6: And I'm just like, you are creating my little sens as scolden girl children, and I love it.
Speaker 1: Is my I had a cousin in Montana that, when he was six or seven, was obsessed with vacuum cleaners and wanted a vacuum.
Speaker 3: Sorry, will you let me go over there? I didn't I misread my map and I need to go over there? Will you let me go.
Speaker 2: In front of you. Thank you. Sorry, I said, it's okay.
Speaker 1: No, that's part of the podcast. We that happens all the time. Sometimes it's it's directions. Other times someone wielding a bike clock wants to attack it.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of trauma. It's a mixed bag in LA.
Speaker 6: If you're going to get someone who's like I totally get it, or someone who's gonna pull a gun out.
Speaker 1: This kid, anyway, UH was obsessed with vacuums and would take them apart and put them back together, and everyone was like, oh, we're dealing with a genius here. Yeah was, and UH was very good at it, and the vacuum would run again a child and guess what he does now.
Speaker 5: He owns a vacuum repair shop. Like he just knew his passion early on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just clicked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it didn't have to become like, oh that that kid now designs rockets for Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I was like, I'm just like this and that's what I want to make people's vacuum cleaners work. That's so noble in this world.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe this kid'll grow up to well, I guess, I don't know, be a maid. Just like he just likes to use the vacuum, but misters made service first.
Speaker 1: I wanted to see how the vacuum worked at a young age, all the electronics. I built one from scratch with a three D printer. Now my passion is this motel, but it's.
Speaker 3: Kind of ironic too. Where you were forced to share your house with thirty to eighty children, and children ayhow and so you probably learned to actually be the best roommate anyone could be cooking, cleaning all that shit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you were doing it for like mass amounts of people. And like you know, with a daycare home, it's like at the end of every day, you don't just close with it being a mess. You have to clean up and make sure it looks good. And if new parents come and check out the daycare, it has to all look nice. And you know, even the upstairs has to look good because it's like this one place we have to live. But I think mostly it made me like, like I loved sharing my mom. Like I was just like, I have the world's best mom. She's so amazing and these.
Speaker 2: Kids are so lucky that they get to have her in their lives.
Speaker 3: Are you an only child?
Speaker 5: No, I have eight.
Speaker 2: Brothers and sisters.
Speaker 5: Holy shit.
Speaker 2: So but we're like so broad in age.
Speaker 6: Like my oldest sibling he was born in nineteen sixty nine and my youngest sibling was born in two thousand and three.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: So it's like such a broad range that like my older siblings didn't really feel like siblings. They felt like older cousins and aunts and uncles because they would babysit me. So in the daycare was where it kind of felt like, oh, these are like siblings, Like I have to share my mom with them, I have to share attention and stuff with them. Yeah, and like I now blame that on why I'm polyamorous, and my mom hates it.
Speaker 2: She's like, you're not gonna blame me for that. You're being all messed up.
Speaker 6: And I'm just like, but you like raise me in this house where I was like, love is for everyone, there's no limits on it.
Speaker 2: My mom can love me and eighty children.
Speaker 1: I will blame the house on you, immediately claiming the blood off of a toilet seat.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's just maybe like I've had to clean children's peep poop my whole life.
Speaker 2: Let's just clean it up.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's great.
Speaker 1: That you still look on it as a good experience, because I wondered if it was different from my I think year and a half that I've worked.
Speaker 6: I mean, I guess maybe there were moments at the time when I wanted.
Speaker 5: To be alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: When I went off to college, I had trouble sleeping because I was so used to falling asleep to the sound of children, waking up to children at like four am, and I was just like, what is this like scary silence?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like where are the where's the crying?
Speaker 5: You is just crying sounds and diaper smell.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it took forever for me to be like, oh, okay, yeah, this is just how normal people live in sleep.
Speaker 3: Do you want to have kids?
Speaker 6: I did for a long time, and mostly because I know I'd be an incredible parent.
Speaker 2: I would be an amazing.
Speaker 6: Mom, like I have helped raise all my nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews. Like I love kids, I'm so good with them. And then I'm just like, oh, but the world is so bad, and yeah, it's like I can do the best job in the world and like a TikTok can ruin my kids, and that terrifies me.
Speaker 3: It's so horrifying. It's so true. Oh, it's that's funny. My grandma had my dad had eight brothers and sisters, so my grandma had and raised nine kids, and then she babysat the neighborhood kids. But it was much more kind of casual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back in the forties and fifties or whatever.
Speaker 3: But that always blew my mind where I was like, she must fucking love kids because she already had. You would think she would be like exhausted or angry or something, and instead she's like, no, keep them coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I was always like with my mom.
Speaker 6: I was like, I don't know why you raise all those kids and now you're just like, let me just keep doing this.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I bet she's a really cool Always she's she's cooler than me. All my friends are always literally like, your mom's actually cooler and funnier than her. You should like try to get her into stand up. Oh, he's so great.
Speaker 1: I was on a show, a Comedy Central show with Donnelle Rollins.
Speaker 5: What's one of the comics he's like? And he was like always trying.
Speaker 1: To be loud and I don't know he robbed me the wrong way at first. I've since become pals with him. But his mom they he grew up in a foster care house that like would take on teenagers and twenty something year olds that were having trouble, and he also had multiple siblings, and his mom was the coolest woman I.
Speaker 5: Had ever met.
Speaker 1: My dad and her like, it would just talk for everyone's parent had to be on this show for a little bit, and I'm like, oh, okay, that may for the coolest person ever, the most compassionate human that's willing to open their home to all these people.
Speaker 6: It's just yeah, and just don't even when things would like get tough and kids were annoying, her parents weren't paying their bills, she just had no problem being funny about it.
Speaker 2: And just always making sure all these kids were happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, I think that's what struck me about this woman.
Speaker 5: It's just riddled with nothing but compassion. Like that's the best. We're getting pulled over.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm like, I can't be inconvenience to go to a party that someone's trying to people and please stop invading my privacy. Anything that you want to plug or talk about before we wrap it up.
Speaker 6: Well, you can listen to my comedy album ice Cream Money. It's out everywhere, Spotify, whatever you like to stream your music on. I have a special comeing out this fallow that I don't even I think I'm gonna film it at the Comedy Store. I'm not sure yet actually, And if you live in LA you can head to my social media to see what shows I have coming up.
Speaker 2: Follow me at the Ashley Ray Anywhere.
Speaker 6: And your podcast Yes, and listen to my podcast TV I Say with Ashley Ray, which is also wherever you stream stuff.
Speaker 3: What's it about?
Speaker 2: It's all Things TV.
Speaker 6: I interview your favorite comedians actors about all the shows they love. The latest episode is Jason man Zukus and does he hate the Bear?
Speaker 2: Love it? We yell about it for an hour.
Speaker 5: Wait, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Is he a Chicago guy too?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he started an improv there and we like went to college not too far from each other. Eloy is much older than me, but he is a huge friend of the pod. So we have a lot of episodes with Jason since he's not on the internet. So if you want to know what Jason man Zukis watches TV, I say, is the only place to I do.
Speaker 3: Want to know everything that not on.
Speaker 1: The internet because he watched all these things on VHS pretty much learned that and more.
Speaker 5: You've been the best.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you so much. Great to meet you.
Speaker 2: You too, Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: You're listening. You've been listening to Do you Need a Ride?
Speaker 2: D y n are hot cock cock.
Speaker 4: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 3: Produced by Analise Nelson.
Speaker 4: Mixed by Edson Choi.
Speaker 3: Our talent booker is Patrick Cootner.
Speaker 4: Theme song by Karen Kilgarrett.
Speaker 3: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks. Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y n ar Podcast.
Speaker 1: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Oh You're welcome.