Speaker 1: So we're going spooky today. Spooky And on the spooky.
Speaker 2: Theme, what was the scariest movie you remember seeing as a kid.
Speaker 1: Oh, the scariest, Yeah, what freaked you out when you were younger?
Speaker 3: Still to this day, Jaws can't go in the ocean without hearing.
Speaker 4: That stupid score. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have been afraid of sharks my whole life from.
Speaker 1: That from Jaws.
Speaker 4: Really, yes, from the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's funny to go back to this isn't where we cover but Universal Studios and see the yak come up so bad.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that it actually scared me, but yes, for sure.
Speaker 1: John Peter eventually just very very weird.
Speaker 2: Random side note, the guy who wrote the book Jaws, Peter Benchley, lived in the little village in.
Speaker 1: Connecticut that I got married in.
Speaker 2: So we go by Peter Benchley's house all the times, like, hey, Peter ban Hey, which is kind of get that.
Speaker 4: Wrote the scariest book of life.
Speaker 1: I feel like, yeah, No, Jaws.
Speaker 2: Is kind of a for especially for a specific generation. Jaws was a big one that really affected people. I mean people weren't going in the water for a while after Jaws.
Speaker 3: I bet it's still like if I'm in a pool by myself.
Speaker 1: But that's a choice.
Speaker 3: I when I was little, I would swear a shark was going to come out of the hole under my diving board.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's gonna happen. It's not how it works.
Speaker 3: No, But when I was little, all of a sudden, I'd hear the dada and I would just start racingto the steps, racing like.
Speaker 1: A great But as that's a choice, you can avoid the water.
Speaker 2: My scariest thing growing up I couldn't avoid because I couldn't not sleep, and it was nightmare in Elm Street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just the worst.
Speaker 2: And my brother knew how much it scared me, so to keep me out of his room, he got a Freddy Krueger poster and.
Speaker 1: Just plastered it on so that I went I just like then I'd stay out of his room. Yeah, that scared the bejeebers out of me.
Speaker 4: Crazy though.
Speaker 3: When I was on the Cheeta Girls, when we were doing tours, Keeley and I would watch a marathon of scary movies like our thing was Saw the Sauce series.
Speaker 4: So good, so good.
Speaker 3: I mean, I have so many times getting off the bus in the middle of the night, going to our hotel room and booking it to Keilley's room and knocking on the door like I.
Speaker 4: Can't stand by myself, I gotta stay here.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know, that's too freaky. I don't like anything that messages with my sleep or my eating.
Speaker 1: And horror movies.
Speaker 4: I loved it.
Speaker 3: Though I loved it, I don't get to watch them very much because Jordan, my husband's not a big fan of scary movies.
Speaker 2: See, thank you, Jordan and I are going to get along very very well. I can already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't watch them anymore because I'm gonna watch them by myself.
Speaker 1: That's just insane. Notting, not interested.
Speaker 2: But welcome to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the hell we're smart, the Waves, Tsunamis and the High School's Musical.
Speaker 3: I'm Wilford Dell and I'm Sabrina Bryan, and We've got one for you Today.
Speaker 2: We are jumping off the d com list, I know, going to our second wonderful world of Disney. And there's a big difference between the dcom and the Wonderful World at.
Speaker 1: Disney A huge difference a number of reasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my goodness, a huge difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, first of all, it's mostly based around adult actors, which the dcoms are not.
Speaker 1: It's mostly based around the kids.
Speaker 2: Sure, there's certainly a bigger budget, Yes, usually some sort of a period piece or a big kind of set piece. I mean, this are our movie today is no different. So strap in and hold your pennies, and you're gonna know what that means. Because this week we are going spooky with the nineteen ninety seven Wonderful World of Disney movie Tower of Terror, which was a major, major moment in time for the Disney Company and for ABC and for everybody else because it's a movie that would change pop culture forever. And I know you're thinking that's a very hyperbolic claim, but it's true. And because this was Disney's first ever attempt at making a movie based on one of their theme park attractions, which just flip the script from what they normally did, because they usually made rides based on films that already existed. Yes, and this they reversed, so it would become a practice even to this day. That stayed part of the studio's you know, synergenic game plan, and.
Speaker 1: We are, of course talking about that.
Speaker 2: The entire title is the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, which is open originally at disney World in nineteen ninety four. We were actually I think that was one of the things that the cast of Boy Meets World was flown down there for, was the opening of Tower Terror.
Speaker 1: But we'll we'll talk about all that, but that.
Speaker 2: Was three years before this movie came out, right, And by the way, if you want to watch along with us, it's available Tower Terrors available for free on YouTube, So go check it out, or you know, sit with us while we talk about it and then go check it out.
Speaker 1: Either one works. Yes, have you been on Tower Terror? Oh?
Speaker 4: A ton of times? A ton of times.
Speaker 1: At both parks that didn't? Yeh. Is there one at Disneyland?
Speaker 3: So it's not at Disneyland, it's at California Adventure, which is across connected.
Speaker 2: And it's Guardians of the Galaxy now right, it is.
Speaker 3: And I am not as big of a fan of it as that, I'll be honest. I liked it when it was the original Tower of Tear. It felt more Classicah, it didn't ruin it. It's pretty much the same thing. It's the decor that's in the inside. As you're walking through, you know that ride is never, I swear, never under forty minutes long to wait for. So I've been on this one a lot, but I have been at the one at Walt Disney World and love it too. I can't remember which. I know when I was younger, there was one that was like a quicker or a longer fall of some sort.
Speaker 1: I want to say that was Florida.
Speaker 4: Maybe, Okay, maybe like at the bigger ride of.
Speaker 2: I think so, because we did there was. It was much more of a grand story when it was Tower of Terror. I mean, Guardians of the Galaxy is great, but it kind of they get you up, you watch the screen and then they added a bunch of drops. So yeah, the ride itself is maybe better because you experience it more, but I felt like the story involving Tower of Terror was better.
Speaker 1: It was kind of all encompassing.
Speaker 3: It's a creepier leading up to it. Yeah, and there was people vibe.
Speaker 2: They built the story and they did all this kind of stuff. So I think this was one. I can't remember if This was one of the ones they brought us down to. But outside of Tower of Terror, I distinctly remember was the first time myself, Ben Savage and Ryder Strong looked over and we saw Michael J. Fox, Oh Rider Strong myself especially, he's one of our idols. So we looked at each other and said we can't not take this opportunity.
Speaker 1: So we walked over.
Speaker 2: And Ben said, excuse me, sir, and he looked up with the big smile and said, did you just call me sir?
Speaker 1: He's like, I've Ben, I know your brother, I've met you before. Are you kidding? And then he just launched in this conversation. He was the nicest human being.
Speaker 2: They always say, don't meet your heroes, but oh man, he just everything I thought he was going to be was that much. It was that times a thousand, and it all took place right outside of the Tower of Terror ride. And then we spent the night just riding this thing over and over and over again with different celebrities. So there's pictures of us with like Bill Ny the science guy, Orbin Burnson and all these people.
Speaker 1: They would just throw us on the ride.
Speaker 4: With, oh just to get those pictures to.
Speaker 1: Get the pictures at the end.
Speaker 2: And I've told this story on Podmey's World and we always kind of shake our heads if they let us do this. But back in the day, when we would get the private back door passes and get to go to the park, they would add the right you'd get, put us in the ride. They would shut down the cameras, they wouldn't put anybody else in the ride with us, and then they wouldn't put the safety bars down so we could literally we would lie across the seats and as it dropped, we would be sideways in the air and like two or three of us would be.
Speaker 1: Completely out of the seats in the air.
Speaker 2: They'd come around and pretend to like lock it, like you're good, and it was. I mean, we had more fun doing things we shouldn't have done on that ride.
Speaker 4: That is shocking. I can that is so dangerous. I'm so glad you made it.
Speaker 1: Will carry you're in like a box thing.
Speaker 4: We're fine, but oh we had this ceiling and dropped down and hit that. You guys probably look like cartoons on that.
Speaker 1: It was so much fun.
Speaker 2: That's why I started with Grab your Pennies because Bill Ny the science guy. We went on and said, all right, everybody hold a penny, and the picture is as you drop, the penny stays where it is, so the pennies above all of our hands as we're sitting there looking at the camera because of science.
Speaker 1: So yes, wow, huge fan of the ride? As are you? The question I have for you is were you a huge fan of the movie?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know if it was for me. I liked it a lot, but I feel that I have kind of fallen in love with every movie we've done so far, and it didn't fall in love with this one. I really liked knowing that I like scary movies. I like to get like, you know, I didn't get scared.
Speaker 4: Really right ever. I don't know it was.
Speaker 3: It was sad to me because I really was excited to fall in love with another movie.
Speaker 4: And it was good.
Speaker 2: It was great, kind of kind of in the forgettable category for you. You enjoyed it, but you're not going to turn around and watch this again right away?
Speaker 3: No, you know, I might this might be one of Monroe like introducing her. I didn't know if it was going to be actually really scary, so I didn't ever watch it right when she's ready for maybe a little bit more of a scary movie. I think this would be great to watch with her. You know, I love that aspect. But for me, I guess if I was wanting a scary, spooky movie, I want to like get chills and kind of okay, you know that kind of thing, and that it's never happened. I kept waiting for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the disnified version of Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's not that I didn't like it, so nobody come trolling me freaking out about it. It's just that I just didn't fall in love with it, and I really thought I was gonna.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's you're you're allowed to do that. You're allowed.
Speaker 4: That's an honest answer, Okay, not here to lie.
Speaker 1: I liked it. I did like it. I liked the story.
Speaker 2: I liked how with a Wonderful World of Disney, they kind of went more in depth than a D com. So there's a great backstory, there's a big set pieces, the elaborate costumes, good music, so stuff like that I enjoyed.
Speaker 1: I felt like they were.
Speaker 2: Swinging for the fences and maybe they didn't knock it out of the park, but it was definitely a stand up triple for me. I thought it was good not to mix metaphors. But all right, so let's before we get stuck here on the eleven floor. Yes, we'll get to the synopsis. So, with the help of his niece, a disgraced newspaper reporter investigates an abandoned luxury hotel where, sixty years earlier, five people mysteriously dis appeared in an elevator. Now, unlike the ride, the movie is not connected to the Twilight Zone. But they did make a very distinct decision in hiring DJ McHale to write and direct the movie. And Dj was the co creator of the legendary hit Nickelodeon show Are You Afraid of the Dark, which.
Speaker 4: I was one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 1: I was on Are You Afraid of the Dark? It was a ton of fun.
Speaker 2: I shot an episode up in Montreal and it was a great experience and a wonderful show. So this kind of seems like their attempt to jump into the goosebumps kind of vibe of young not even horror, young spooky, I think is what you would say, Like like, you don't say violence in Disney movies, you say action. So you wouldn't say horror, and Disney movies you say spooky, it's not gory.
Speaker 4: Get slashing and blood splash.
Speaker 2: No it's not saw thankfully, but they so they obviously knowing they wanted to start this whole new genre, they hired DJ McHale, who was one of the pioneers of this genre. The movie stars Steve Guttenberg as Buzzy Crocker, another great Disney name.
Speaker 1: That's one thing Disney does very well, who was a huge star in the eighties.
Speaker 2: For all of our listeners who are maybe on the younger side, Steve Gutenberg was in everything.
Speaker 4: Yes, huge comedy.
Speaker 2: I mean he was in Cocoon, Diner, three Men in the Baby Short Circuit, which was a huge movie. Yes for kids my age, with Number five Johnny five the Robot, which was the coolest thing in the world.
Speaker 4: H so go I love those.
Speaker 2: But he also did like sixty two Police Academy movies. There was a bunch of those, yes, So this he was in just everything for the Disney fans out there, coming off the nineteen ninety five Disney movie The Big Green, which he did before Tiger, I had to.
Speaker 4: Look The Big Green up.
Speaker 1: I did two I didn't know what that was. We'll have to watch that one eventually too. We'll just do a Gutenberg week.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then there was a young actress that nobody's heard of still, I don't know what happened to her name is I want to say, Kirsten.
Speaker 1: Kirsten Dunce, Is that right? Who? Obviously, of course du is it Kirsten d It's Kirsten Dunce who plays Anna Patterson.
Speaker 2: She's Buzzy's niece and she's of course along for all the adventures. And she was already a big star by this point because interview at the Vampire came out where she was with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. She had to kiss Brad Pitt, which made the news everywhere because she was like eleven.
Speaker 4: Had poor thing.
Speaker 1: She's like eleven years old. It was super key.
Speaker 4: That is weird.
Speaker 2: It was weird, but she got nominated for Golden Globe. I think she was like eleven years old at the time. She was also in Jumanji and of course has since become a huge Hollywood a lister. Virgin suicides, bring it on, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, power of the Dog, and of course was mj in the original Spider Man franchise, which, of course, being a big nerd is I'm a huge fan of. She's already been nominated for four Golden Globes, one Academy Award, and has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which for me, I'm saying it right, Kirsten, Yes, Kirsten.
Speaker 1: We know we were chucking, but.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Hollywood Walker Fame is the only thing I had ever wanted in my career.
Speaker 1: I don't care about Golden Globes. I just just saying like, hey, you can walk over my name. That's really cool. So she has that Nia Peebles.
Speaker 2: Another great eighties mainstay, yes, is Jill Perry, who's Buddy's ex girlfriend and former editor. She was best known as an R and B and pop singer in the eighties, but transitioned into acting she was on Fame. She did Walker, Texas Ranger and our producers do these wonderful background checks and one thing they didn't write is one of the greatest films in the history of the world, which we talked about because we've talked about Brink and Johnny Tsunami, which was my Johnny Tsunami. Growing up an amazing surfing movie called The north Shore, which was just the coolest thing in the world, So go check out north Shore. She was amazing in that she hosted her own music dance show called The Party Machine and then was on Pretty Little Liars later.
Speaker 1: So the cast is amazing.
Speaker 2: Malaura Harden another one ye act and James absolutely Malaura Harden plays Caroline Crossman and Claire Poulay, who we fight out during the film. Of course is the French word for a chicken?
Speaker 1: You know? Whereas Jan Levinson or Jan Levinson.
Speaker 2: Gould originally on the Office, but she was also nominated for an Emmy for her work on Transparent.
Speaker 1: Could you tell?
Speaker 2: I mean sometimes you say it throws you. Could you tell? She was both the ghost.
Speaker 4: That that didn't right get me.
Speaker 1: I did not get me.
Speaker 4: It was instant. I was just just talking to a ghost.
Speaker 2: They didn't they didn't hide it fairwell. It didn't seem like they were really trying.
Speaker 4: To No, I didn't. I don't think they were really trying that much.
Speaker 3: No, he just had no idea, I guess because he didn't look at he hadn't seen the news face.
Speaker 2: They didn't have any pictures of the people that were in the elevator. I guess, I guess, I guess not. And Michael McShane is another one who plays Chris Q.
Speaker 1: Todd.
Speaker 2: He's the hotel's caretaker in the air to the building and you might recognize him from Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves.
Speaker 1: He was in Office Space Richie Rich. He was also on a.
Speaker 2: Little television show called Brotherly Love with three friends of mine, the Lawrence Brothers. And lastly, speaking of people that I know pretty well, almost like a sister, I would say Lindsay Ridgeway plays Sally, the child star who disappears on That Faithful Night and now haunts the hotel. She of course played the second Morgan Matthews on Boy Mets World and was there for five seasons. Shout out to Lindsay, who is the sweetest person you'll ever meet in your life. Was a wonderful little sister. And frankly, I thought was great in this movie.
Speaker 4: So adorable.
Speaker 2: She totally embodied that Shirley Temple, Shirley Temple.
Speaker 4: That little blonde Shirley Temple. So adorable.
Speaker 1: She was great.
Speaker 2: The movie runs eighty nine minutes long, which is one minute away from that ninety minute bullseye we were always trying to hit. It debuted on October twenty sixth, nineteen ninety seven, which is perfectly time for the All Hollows Eve Night. And it was filmed at the actual Tower of Terror in Orlando and then some of it on a sound stage in la But when you can make a ride that good that you can go and shoot a movie at it and it looks.
Speaker 3: Cool, I mean, think about the young actors that were there feeling like I'm filming at Walt.
Speaker 1: Disney World every day, shot at at theme park.
Speaker 3: I've shot stuff for you know, Disney three sixty five or there was certain things that were offset stuff right, and but not never our movies ever filmed there.
Speaker 4: Okay, I never was in a show that film there.
Speaker 3: It was just like interviews and stuff like that where they give you the plaid the people that walk you around and you get in the back entrance of everything, all the rides, any restaurants.
Speaker 4: Everything like that.
Speaker 3: So I've gotten that, but I haven't like shot every single day as like as far as an episode would be shot.
Speaker 1: It's so much fun. I remember for the thirty fifth anniversary or fiftieth Anniverse some.
Speaker 2: Anniversary for Disney, Melissa, Joan Hart and I hosted something where we had to shoot at the Magic Kingdom, and they wanted it to look like we had the whole park to ourselves, so we had to shoot at night. So I closed and it's just Melissa and I for eight hours at a closed down park in Disney World, and in between shots, they're like, yeah, just go on rides, so we just would around having the park tisa, it's in the world.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: So the movie kicks off with a flashback. It's nineteen thirty nine. It's a huge, big Halloween party. We witness a high society celebrity couple, a bell hop, a Shirley Temple like child star and her nanny disappear into a moving elevator when the hotel is struck by green lightning on the way to the hotel rooftop, which is called the Tip Top Club, which is a great name for a club. Yeah, okay, So when it comes to kind of the dcom halloweeny movie, we have under wraps, we have Halloween Town, don't look under the bed twitches. But this one essentially kicks off where you might not know this, But then when it cuts to sixty years later with killing five people.
Speaker 3: Yeah dead gun, I mean starts straight up murder yet gone yeah gone right from the start.
Speaker 2: Right from the start, little girl Nicele, the bell hop who seems like he's a he's a nice chap in the nanny. In the first ninety seconds of the movie, we're killing all five of these characters.
Speaker 3: Right, and then it cuts to the next scene, which is a photography session of like a fifteen year old almost getting killed by an actor who doesn't know what he's doing with this giant real knife.
Speaker 2: Like yeh, literally, guy's got the medical saw and she's dressed in supposed to be an alien because he's Steve Gutenberg is works for like the Sun magazine or one of these kind of bad magazines where it's, you know, an alien stole my mother kind of magazine. It's the inquisitor, is that yes, and he's faking the pictures and uh yeah, they almost kill so Kirsten pronounced correctly done all the guys as well in the first two minutes.
Speaker 4: AGA, That's what I'm saying. It all happened so fast, it does.
Speaker 3: This is gonna I felt like this is gonna be the shortest movie I ever watch.
Speaker 2: So they're starting with a tone that's for sure, Yeah, a little crazy. So we cut to modern day after these five people are horribly killed in front of us.
Speaker 1: And we get Steve Gutenberg and Kirsten Duns.
Speaker 2: We find out, like we said, Buzzy was fired from his Los Angeles the Los Angeles Banner, which is a fake newspaper here in LA, for publishing a story that turned out to be fake.
Speaker 1: They blamed him for it.
Speaker 2: He hasn't been able to work since, and they've really set it up to where this guy, his whole life is just about getting that next story so he can get back to where he is.
Speaker 1: Consequences be damned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Craven, the glory of the number one story on the banner.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Craven. By the way, do you remember nineties tabloids? Do you remember how great the nineties tabloids? Like the really tabloid tabloid? He was like not bat Boy found and.
Speaker 4: No, I don't remember any.
Speaker 2: I encourage everybody out there to go. And if it's still in publication, I think it is. It's called the Weekly World News, okay, and it is literally and I'm not this is not hyperbole. It is literally some of the best comedy writing you will ever read, because it's all tongue in cheek. It's all you know, a vampire is really my uncle kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: But the articles are written so wonderfully. It's just funny.
Speaker 4: But is it trying to put off like he is as it's real. No, it's it is a joke.
Speaker 1: It's both, but it's okay, okay, exactly, you know.
Speaker 4: Because he was trying to put this off as real.
Speaker 2: I think old. I think older. Did you see so I married an axe murderer? No, okay, his mom, you should. His mom, you know, believes these are She calls it the paper.
Speaker 1: So I think there's a certain maybe age of reader or.
Speaker 2: Client tele of the weekly world news that might think this stuff is real. But anyone under eighty who reads it, it's really laugh out loud funny. So go and check that out.
Speaker 3: So he does meet somebody in the movie that does read these exactly, believes it actually.
Speaker 2: And who's an older woman, and it's perble. Did you now, I know you said this movie didn't jump up and grab you right away, But did.
Speaker 1: You like the team up? Did you like Buzzy and his niece kind of being the team. Did that work for you?
Speaker 4: It that that will go. I'll get into it more with Sabrina Seas.
Speaker 3: It did kind of creep me out at the very beginning, like I just kinda you know, she's at this kind of age that is a little funky for her to be spending the night and you know, these this kind of weird and getting put in awkward positions, you know, and you can see her mom is kind of battling it. So yeah, it did seem a little off. But being who it was that was playing these characters, I didn't care.
Speaker 4: I wanted to.
Speaker 3: See Kersti's yeah, I wanted to see them act together, so I didn't didn't.
Speaker 1: It didn't bother me that I think.
Speaker 2: I think they were also really trying to write him like the Peter Pan syndrome, where you know, he's he's supposed to be a kid too. I agree with you, there was by the time it got to her sleeping on the couch behind him, Yes, and like throwing the blanket off a little bit.
Speaker 1: I had that moment of a little bit of an ew kind of moment, but it went.
Speaker 2: Away quickly because it was like, come on, this is a wonderful world at Disney.
Speaker 1: It's his niece.
Speaker 2: They're good friends, right, you know, she supports him, she's his greatest fan. Yeah, so I got it. But I felt that too, that one moment of like, ew, yeah, but actually, what you were exactly just talking about. An old lady named Abigail comes and visits Buzzy by of course breaking into his home.
Speaker 1: Well, in all fairness, we find out the landlord.
Speaker 2: The landlord let her in, because of course what landlords do is just randomly let people into your apartment.
Speaker 1: Apparently, So there you go.
Speaker 4: That that was insane. I would be so so upset with my landlord, like you.
Speaker 3: Do not if you have not actually met this person with me, do not let them in.
Speaker 1: I mean, thank you. You just let some burglar or something into my home.
Speaker 2: I don't care if they look like a nice little old lady, right, you got So who knows what this woman is doing?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: But it turns out, of course she is a fan of his work, and she claims, at least at the time, to be a witness to the mysterious Halloween disappearance, which is now by this point obviously they've set up has become huge Hollywood legend, famous folklore. Sally Shine has become a household name. Everybody knows this story, right, it's eternal. So she comes in with this big what he thinks is a big story. Hey, I was there. Everybody knows everything but the why, and I can tell you why. And she spins this story that Sally's nanny, who we see very briefly, who's one of the horrible deceased people at the very beginning of our film, is a witch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who looks very unpleasant.
Speaker 1: So they've set it up to her.
Speaker 3: It's easy, Yes, it's easy to believe her because this lady looks not nice at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not only that.
Speaker 2: But here's where they again take a super dark turn. Is she doesn't just say that, oh she's a witch and she's killed them or banished them. She says she wants Sally Shine to spend eternity in torture and pain.
Speaker 4: Yes, harsh words. She's like ten, Yeah, what did this little girl do to this nanny?
Speaker 2: I mean, So they're setting it up to where it's not just hey, she made her disappear, it's she's for sixty.
Speaker 1: Years now been in constant pain. That's when I paused it. I was like, oh my god, how about my popcorn?
Speaker 4: I know it was so intense, so intense.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean that was that was That was, you know, very strange. I also, did you have any trouble buying that she was a fan of his, that that's why she used it to get to him?
Speaker 3: Yes, because and it was the way they were interacting too.
Speaker 4: She was so creepy to me from the like she was.
Speaker 3: I felt not sure about this story from the beginning of this.
Speaker 1: Movie, not sure about her story that she was telling.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I felt like there was some crack that we were mean not that wasn't being explained just yet, that we were gonna find out.
Speaker 4: I wasn't sure exactly what it was.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize what it would be at the end, but there was something that was because she was so creepy. There's one point where she goes in for a hug to Buzzy and he.
Speaker 1: Which is so.
Speaker 4: Jittery around her, and she just is like this, like very creepy.
Speaker 3: The way she tells the story and everything, it did seem like she was this distressed person.
Speaker 4: She seemed creepy about it.
Speaker 1: She did.
Speaker 4: There was like an obsession with it.
Speaker 2: It was weird. Yeah, so I thought it too. I felt that same thing were something.
Speaker 3: So I wasn't trust in this old lady. I normally am a sucker for old ladies. I love them, and I was not trusting this one farther that I could throw, like.
Speaker 1: I believe, which would have been far because she seems like she seems tiny. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing they but they did set up the character where I think Steve Gutenberg would have worked for anybody comes in with a story.
Speaker 1: Yes he's down, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean he instantly starts figuring out how to portray it. The scene that we go into not far after there with Kirsten Dunce in that wig and that dress was like a laugh out loud moment. It was so funny because she played it so well, just so embarrassed.
Speaker 1: Just please, I hope nobody sees.
Speaker 3: I am gonna die if someone recognizes me in this awful wig and this baby doll pink dress.
Speaker 2: So anyway, we go from his or his house and we get to meet Q who's the groundskeeper and the grandson of the bell hop who's now apparently the heir to the hotel.
Speaker 1: If they can solve the mystery of how that happened, but they kind of.
Speaker 2: They only addressed in one line, how you can be a bell hop, which his grandfather was one of the bell hops. Was the bell hop who disappeared on the elevator.
Speaker 4: Yes, he was in the elevator with them, but.
Speaker 2: Apparently he was also the bell hop. Was the son of the guy who owns the hotel?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, you're you're like, yeah, yeah, So here's the thing.
Speaker 3: I would have taken that story if he was like a young fifteen year old, Yes, right, like the first a first job. You know you're gonna work for this. I want you to work from the ground up to really be able to understand the workings of everything in this.
Speaker 4: Hotel when you own it.
Speaker 1: Great idea.
Speaker 3: But the guy already has been married and has a child, because otherwise Q wouldn't be here.
Speaker 4: So he's older.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's still a bell.
Speaker 3: Hop and he's a bell hop still, so that part didn't make sense.
Speaker 1: No, it was very strange how that happened.
Speaker 3: I had to rewind it to go wait what wait, explain that to me one more time. Cute because I'm not really understanding. Oh, your grandpa was what in his like thirties.
Speaker 4: I guess maybe it would be a good idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, when he had a baby. And it's also why why which they never explained at all. Why do you have to solve the mystery of the hotel to get the hotel?
Speaker 1: Wouldn't you just get the hotel?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it was more so not that he didn't have the hotel, but he couldn't open it again. They wanted to have that mystery solved. But I mean, can open the doors again, right?
Speaker 2: But couldn't I guess because imagine a the legal paperwork and having to determine if you solve the ghost mystery? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And b if the hotel was just his, that's p I'm in real estate in LA.
Speaker 1: That's a fifty million dollar building.
Speaker 2: He's not allowed to just sell it, so they could knock it down and put up condos like I I'm sorry, I can't sell this land.
Speaker 1: I have to solve them.
Speaker 4: I mean, you do have to disclose everything.
Speaker 3: Everyone already knows this story anyway, but you do have to disclose things like that in real estate.
Speaker 2: But everybody would know that, so somebody would go and buy that hotel and open it up as a spooky hotel or something like that. Right, So the idea that he had to solve the mystery before he again didn't fully get.
Speaker 1: That, was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, once inside the hotel though, which Q has never set foot in because he's scared.
Speaker 1: Okay, some people don't like ghosts. I'm not a fan of ghosts.
Speaker 2: I don't believe in them, but they scare the hell out of me, so I don't know if I would have gone in either. But once you're in there, we get to meet the ghosts, who seem really frustrated that they're there. Obviously it's been sixty years, the nanny's still the main suspect, and through a series of conversations with the old lady, we find out that we think a spell has been cast and to release the ghosts to their next destination, another spell needs to be cast, and to do that, we need to find a personal object from every person there.
Speaker 1: Right, Right, I had to.
Speaker 3: Go back in and get these objects from each of the people in the elevator.
Speaker 2: Right, everyone that was there. You have to find one thing. So they found it was the hair for Sally.
Speaker 3: Shine, the handkerchief, handkerchief for the nanny, cbe brings the hat.
Speaker 4: C brings the hat.
Speaker 2: The locket was was Melaura Harden's actress. Yes, and the spectacles, the glass spectacles, glasses and the glasses for there. Now another question I have for you. So they mentioned that the hotel his grand his great grandfather was so freaked out by what happened he shut down the hotel. Yes, totally understandable. Five people did disappeared. It was hit by green lightning, including his son. His son, we've got to shut this place down. Did he shut it down that night without moving a single piece of luggage or furniture or.
Speaker 4: No investigation, nothing, just shut it down.
Speaker 2: Glasses are all in the same place. I mean, they didn't move a single thing. Shut it down.
Speaker 4: I know it was so.
Speaker 3: When they find the the bell hops with the luggage on.
Speaker 2: It, it's just it's just everybody out. We're shutting it down tonight at eleven o'clock.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everyone's out.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna look, we're not going to investigate. There's no police tape, there's no anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no police tape. That's what kept bugging me. Where's the police tape? There had to have been some type of vem even across the doors of the elevator.
Speaker 4: There's been something.
Speaker 1: I kicked everyone out that night.
Speaker 2: They the cigars, pipes, everything left exactly as it was. Nobody touched anything, They didn't clean anything up. That was right, A little strange. But there is an interesting movie trope here that I think we should spend a little bit of time on because it's a very famous one, and it's called a mcguffin, and it was made famous by Alfred Hitchcock. Now, a mcguffin is an object or a device or event that's necessary to the plot and the motivation. It keeps the actors and the characters moving in the right direction, but at the end of the day, is insignificant, completely unimportant, and irrelevant to whatever's going on. And that's what these objects were at the end of the day. He really didn't need the much. She kind of uses them a little bit, but you don't really And she just wanted Sally's hair.
Speaker 1: That was the only one she cared about Sally's hair. But didn't she.
Speaker 2: Originally have Sally's hair, Yes, So then why do they have to get all the rest of them?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was really confused as far as you know that end part kind of was weird, right because she ends up before she had heads too, and you really everything has now come surface of who she is and all of that, and there's a moment where.
Speaker 4: They're in the apartment.
Speaker 3: And then like she's It was very it started to get muddled for me.
Speaker 4: You didn't things didn't seem completing.
Speaker 3: You know when you watch a movie, there's like completions of certain things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they wrap up a storyline, then they move on and wrap there's certain.
Speaker 3: Things that complete, get completed, and that this didn't happen. This is another part of this movie that I was okay to move past some stuff, but then there was some stuff.
Speaker 4: Was like, wait, what happened to all the trinkets that they needed? Where do you go? Where are they? I don't see them displayed anywhere.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's just kind of it was a.
Speaker 3: Little it was fum yeah, loving finding out about this mcguffin.
Speaker 2: The mcguffin, Oh yeah, the mcguffin created by Alfred Hitchcock, very famous mystery.
Speaker 4: It is not an edible object.
Speaker 1: What it can be. It could be whatever you want, but that's yeah, it's the mcguffin.
Speaker 2: Nice you mentioned that you wanted to be kind of more scared and spooky and jumping and titillated while you were watching the film, right, But there were some scary moments inside when they got in. There were there any moments that made you either jump or that freaked out a little bit or were a little creepy, because I have one or two that are a little creepy.
Speaker 3: No, the things that did happen did lean me into recognizing like the director's work, the shaky you know ink thing and you know, the certain things that were kind of but the way the ghosts came out from the very beginning kind of shut the creepiness down for me.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So the headless guy with the with the cleaver, none of that did anything for you.
Speaker 3: Well, wasn't headless because again I guess I just didn't prep myself for it being a Disney scary movie. It wasn't headless and gory. You shouldn't have a head right, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: It was just kind of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, you know what the characters did after is what was like, are you kidding me? We're just gonna all right, We're gonna go back in days later, that whole thing. Going back into the house after you've seen this didn't seem like they were freaked out. They should have been freaked out. If these were ghosts, they should be losing their own heads about it, write their own mind.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree.
Speaker 2: I I though, have this thing with little kids singing eerie songs while they're dead. Okay, so like that again, going back to Nightmare nowm the street where the kids are jump roping and they're going one two friends, Yeah, coming for that still gives me chills. So when you first hear Sally Shine and there's the green shimmer and you kind of see her Ethereally and she's singing that stuff creeps me out.
Speaker 1: Little little kids singing creepy little songs. That's creepy.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, so cute she was.
Speaker 1: But she did. Oh man, it was that. Anytime you hear the little kids like hi behin, I'm dead, it's like, oh god, yeah, oh that freaks me out. So that stuff like that got me a little bit.
Speaker 4: The bats the Bats kind of was maybe a moment, did the bats?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not a big unless it's a really well timed one.
Speaker 2: The jump scares don't do it for much as much for me as a psychological scares. Okay, the psychological scares are the ones where because then I think about it and I dwell on it, and I'm like, is there a little creepy girl behind me singing right now?
Speaker 4: Overthink it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's uh, that's a little weird.
Speaker 2: So finally it is revealed after all this that the nanny is not the witch who cursed the elevator, but it was Abigail, the older lady, and she's been living for sixty years in a mental hospital and has an entire trunk that you have to open up that's filled with like the weird altar kind of voodoo doll with the head snapped off.
Speaker 3: And ye like, oh my goodness, I know it was that was aggressive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, knowing that that the whole thing, it's not that to me. It was really aggressive for it to be her sister, right right.
Speaker 3: I just if she was a little girl that was tormented by her somehow, or like somebody who wasn't a family member.
Speaker 4: The aggression, yeah, coming from a.
Speaker 3: Family member was just wow, Abigail, I am so sorry.
Speaker 2: You wonder though, if there are brothers and sisters of seriously big famous child actors that grew up just so because I mean.
Speaker 1: You're a kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're you know, you you're only seeing your sibling everyone adoring and loving and oh my god, looking fawning over and treating with such respect, and then you're just like the kid. I mean, I don't know why, because my brothers were older than me and we are still one hundred percent supportive, but something about that resonated with me, knowing that it's got to be hard to be the brother sister of, especially when you're little, little ten eleven years old, if somebody super famous.
Speaker 3: And there's not a big gap between them either. They seemed they were very close in age too, so you know, and you look, if you look back at like her dress compared.
Speaker 4: To Sally's dress that night, she's looking a little bit more, you know, rumpy looking.
Speaker 3: Yes, Sally's this adorable, pink, gorgeous little baby doll.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and she's just walking in and people and she's got a big smile and people are taking pictures, and so that resonated with me also because I know a lot of the times when kids are child actors of that age, very rarely does one of them go in and get recognized. You bring the mom brings in two or three of her kids. So this is in my head, it's like they both went to their first manager or agent and Sally you know, erupted and oh man, she was perfect and we want her, and the other sister was left behind.
Speaker 1: So I got a whole backstory.
Speaker 4: Yes, said she couldn't sing, she could.
Speaker 1: Put it dance. Yeah, that really resonated with me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but was that Sally's fault Abigail?
Speaker 1: Of course not, but it was you don't look at that when you're eleven years old.
Speaker 2: You just look at the fact that your mother is dressing one kid like she's a super stronging other kid like she's waiting in line for bread, like it just it does. It looks very strange. So yeah, it was also like black, she was like more black and white, but they really Yeah, I don't know why that. The whole idea of the sister holding that much of a grudge kind of resonated with me. And maybe it's because I saw that.
Speaker 4: The doll was a little bit of a o for me though.
Speaker 1: Because the doll was the head was removed, it would like it.
Speaker 4: Was still on just flop back.
Speaker 3: That was like, oh gross, Like super, you've got issues Abby.
Speaker 2: I'd also like to point out that this is now the second time in this film where it's just okay to let somebody else into your apartment.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, this is part of one of my Serena season.
Speaker 3: Obviously, I knew you'd get this because it just made absolutely zero sense and just lets her in. She's being very clear, she does not know Abigail.
Speaker 4: She's she's stock.
Speaker 3: She's learning things from this man and it's a reporter and as a reporter, and and then they go to a flash type situation or there they somehow are out of it, and I think we go to a different scene and when then she we come back to the the uh you know facility that Abigail lives in.
Speaker 4: She's in the room by herself.
Speaker 3: The guy just left and then comes storming in and it's like, excuse me, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: It's like, what do you gonna do right now?
Speaker 1: Sir?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna look around everywhere.
Speaker 3: You've given me full rain access to this apartment a person that you know, I'm doing a report on.
Speaker 4: What do you think I'm gonna do?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was very you know, I'm gonna deny everything.
Speaker 1: I'm going to deny it, and then I'm going to have you arrested.
Speaker 4: And then I'm going to have you arrested. Can you have her arrested when you open the door, think.
Speaker 1: If somebody takes the key and lets you in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But then then she ends up with the items back at Buzz's apartment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guy takes the papers from her, but she manages to get the voodoo doll out and the doll.
Speaker 4: How did she get the doll?
Speaker 1: She threw it in the bag.
Speaker 2: I actually saw her because I rewound it and you can actually see her put the doll in the back.
Speaker 4: I watched it twice and didn't see it.
Speaker 1: I thought the same thing. You see her shoved stuff in her bag.
Speaker 2: But she's about to then do the papers after and he grabs the papers from her.
Speaker 4: Got it?
Speaker 1: Okay? All right?
Speaker 2: And then of course we get the big m night shamaam Dingong moment where all of a sudden you find out she's you know, it's not the nanny, Abigail's the witch. She wants to reinstate the curse of sixty years because apparently just being dead isn't enough for her.
Speaker 4: I guess not. She wants to start it over because.
Speaker 2: She want What we find out is the original spell was supposed to make the elevator crash, right. They weren't supposed to disappear, they were supposed to crash, So yes, you were still supposed she was supposed to die. But she's upset that she's made her sister a legend, right, so now she wants to crash the elevator again to finish what she started. Then to kill her ghost.
Speaker 1: Yes, I guess.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know how that was going to make it better, but I guess that's what she needed to do.
Speaker 2: Or maybe she then is trying to get her to a deeper circle of torment and pain because the one she thought she put her in wasn't good enough.
Speaker 4: She makes a comment that she says she's everywhere.
Speaker 3: So then I was trying to figure out, do you mean she's showing up in.
Speaker 4: Your facility that you live in? Where do you need me? But she's everywhere? Was it was her fame?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's James Dean, She's every She's Marilyn Roe, she's everywhere.
Speaker 1: So what thinking she was gonna kill her and get rid of her.
Speaker 2: Instead, what she did was make her eternal, okay, and so it's the opposite of what she actually wanted to happen.
Speaker 1: So now she's got to go and kill.
Speaker 4: Her again, kill her ghost.
Speaker 3: I guess the best best part because you know she's creepy, and she kind of obviously gets creepier and creepier when she's out by the gate and she's like Abigail. And then my favorite part of her this whole movie was when she has the cape on and she's walking and then.
Speaker 4: It's like her over the shoulder is like raw.
Speaker 3: That was the only part where I'm like, whoa, Okay, now this is good because she's finally at that creeper level that is actually scary. I could actually get nervous in the dark thinking about Abigail in that moment.
Speaker 2: Now here's my question for you, And you know Disney better than I do, and I think some of our producers may need to China, okay, were they Isn't there a famous scene from I think it's Cinderella or Snow White, Snow White one with the apple right, Yes, isn't there a famous scene where the witch is in the hood and.
Speaker 1: Turns creepily towards the camera.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's snow white.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's what they were trying to do with that shot?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a good that's good will.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought. When I saw it. I was like, Oh, that's a that's an easter egg. That's a Disney Easter egg. Yeah, that is I thought that's what it was.
Speaker 3: So old Lady in the Hood, although she's very cute, she's still a cute old lady, so she's not the Witch of snow White.
Speaker 4: But that's a good one. I love that one.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Oh if it's not, let's put that out into the.
Speaker 1: All right, go get that going. And now, of course we they they've got to tie in the ride. So we end the movie. It's modern day. Well we amidst the chaos.
Speaker 2: The spell has been cast, the elevators crashed down, but they switch it because she's able to reverse the spell, because the only thing that could stop the spell is its opposite, which was her Sally forgiving, and it all works. We end the movie modern day. You know, the the ghosts finally make to heaven. I imagine is where they want to be. The Abigail dies too. I guess Abigail dies.
Speaker 4: That was not something I was expecting me all.
Speaker 2: I thought it'd be like, I'll see you when you get here, But no, they go and grab Abigail too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kept.
Speaker 3: Thinking she was gonna join somehow in not as a little girl.
Speaker 2: Not.
Speaker 3: Actually, now Abigail is also gone. That's a lot of death in a disney.
Speaker 2: They'll they're all dead, they and that was the big payoff at the end is they died at the beginning, but at the end they got to die again.
Speaker 4: We get an engagement. We always love engagements.
Speaker 1: I like, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: I got a little teared up towards the end where everybody's filling their final wish. You know that Nanny gets her to her parents. She gets to see her parents, She gets to sing her song. Laura Harden gets to sing her song, and they get engaged.
Speaker 4: The bell hop gets to go back to his.
Speaker 2: Dad and say, hey, why am I still a bell hop? I'm thirty five and have children. So yes, I liked this movie. I didn't love it, but I certainly liked it. But I'd like to see what other people think about this movie. And as you know, every week we do our real reviews where we do one five star and one one star. I think last week you did the one star. Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Yes, I'll do the five star.
Speaker 3: I really want to hear you read this this one star. It's pretty good, all right, But starting off with the five star from Mickey Bhaer two to one. I love this movie. I went on the ride in Walt Disney World when.
Speaker 4: I was five.
Speaker 3: Though I didn't like the ride too much, I loved the movie. It is scary in some parts, especially when they play eerie music for the little kids and people that haven't seen the movie before, but it's very entertaining and it was a good plot twist in the end.
Speaker 1: All Right, that's a solid review.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, I have the one star, which is not as solid a review.
Speaker 1: This is from VALVANTI.
Speaker 2: I think I'm saying the name right, and I'm going to read this with the emphasis the way that they wanted it, with the exclamation points. So Tower of Terror ruined Steve Gutenberg's career. As I struggled to finish this movie, I realized that this entire film was to promote the ride Tower of Terror in a long line of attraction theme park stunts. Obviously, I never understood why any type of actor would ever choose such a lousy way to ruin their career by making a horrible sellout decision. And my grandma said that this movie was absolutely horrible.
Speaker 1: About that's what it is.
Speaker 2: It's like if my grandmother doesn't like it, at least Dunce's career wasn't completely halted by an incredibly wretched acting and corporate American sellout. That's I mean, Dad, that even my grandma harsh, harsh.
Speaker 3: Because he's not even just talking about the movie. He's talking about the failing of the career.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I know. And let's be honest, Steve Gutenberg was a little big in this movie.
Speaker 2: I think he suffered a little bit from what I call Disney Itis, which is some actors get into Disney movies and feel like they have to ham it up a bit more than they would play it real. So maybe not the best it's not Cocoon, it's not his his you know, Steve Gutenberg's best performance, but it's he'sn't a Disney movie.
Speaker 3: That was yikes, I know, I that made me feel so bad for Steve because it.
Speaker 2: Was not.
Speaker 4: Geez I just I mean, that was harsh.
Speaker 3: That guy never watches anything I ever do because or his grandma Gee and Bash.
Speaker 4: To the worst extent. That was so harsh.
Speaker 2: Let's do our other wonderful thing we do every week, which is our three and a half facts. As you know, this is three facts that we know for a fact or fact and one fact that we're heard about that's more of a rumor and we're not entirely sure, so we're putting it out there more as a rumor possibly as well, but it could be real. Yeah, according to the Internet machine, what do you got? Why don't you give it a start? With our first all right?
Speaker 3: Before Disney landed on twilight Zone theme for the ride, some other ideas were thrown around a ride based on Stephen King's novel, a Vincent Price Goes Tour, a mel Brooks narrated Haunted Honeymoon concept, and even an awards honoring classic movie monsters like Godzilla, hosted by Eddie Murphy and Alvira.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I gotta be honest.
Speaker 4: I'm glad they went with twilight Zone.
Speaker 2: I am too, But at the end of the day. Knowing Disney they would have hit it out of the park with whatever. I mean, can you imagine? I think Stephen King novels would have just been too scary.
Speaker 4: Right, How would they really Disney fy that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're waiting in line, and while you're waiting in line, you're walking through the pet cemetery and the it clowns that, I mean, kids are going to be losing it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I couldn't do that.
Speaker 2: Our number two fact is, though this was the first movie based on any ride at Disneyland, it wasn't the first thing filmed for Tower of Terror. Legendary director Joe Dante filmed the pre ride short film that was shown to theme park guests in line, and it told the exact same backstory as the movie, and even still starred Lindsay Ridgeway as Sally Shine, who'd later reclaimed the role for the movie. Now this amazed me for a number of reasons when we talked about how great Lindsay was. But little kids grow up really fast. So if you go and you watch the ride, she's definitely younger. But to be able to still play the same role three years later, yes, it was pretty amazing to me because you she was the eerie little girl who would wave to you right as the thing would drop, and she didn't look that different in the movie, and.
Speaker 3: It was no years later, no three years later, especially around that age, how much you.
Speaker 1: Definitely grow a lot, you know, and quickly.
Speaker 3: And very fast. Yeah, I mean to be honest, I didn't grow that much. Ever, No, I guess, Lindsay and I share that in time. I guess that's fair enough.
Speaker 1: She might not.
Speaker 4: She's probably not six two now, she's not.
Speaker 1: She's not.
Speaker 2: She is, however, a fitness instructor and just in amazing shape, but she's still a very little girl.
Speaker 4: Oh geez right.
Speaker 3: The third one I love because it's something you know, Sabrina Sea's esque. So I'm excited to do this one. A mistake in the movie. In the opening nineteen thirty nine flashback scene, when the hotel is struck by lightning, you see the famous Capitol Records Building in the background. But the Capitol Records Building was not completed until nineteen fifty six, well past the day of this incident.
Speaker 1: So there you go. That is a prayer mistake.
Speaker 4: Cool to know.
Speaker 2: Did not digitize out the Capitol Records Building, which is right there in the background. Right here's Star Halffact, which is so cool, and I mean, I'm hoping it's true, But then you figure out where it's going to go from there. So a reboot of Tower Terror, a new movie starring and produced by Scarlett Johansson, has been on the docket for Disney Now for a few years, with Pixar writer Josh Cooley attached, But with the recent lawsuit between the studio and Scarlet about the release of Black Widow being settled for forty million bucks, nice little payday, its future is still up in the air, so we have no idea if it is or isn't happening.
Speaker 1: And I would think that now that they but again, who knows.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say now that they switched the Tower of Terror in California, at least I think it's still Tower of Terror in Florida, yes, But now that they switched it to Guardians in LA who knows if a new.
Speaker 3: Generation here on this West coast side doesn't really know what Tower of Ear is because it's been Guardians for a while.
Speaker 1: Now while now yeah, yeah, so yeah, very strange, But I'd.
Speaker 3: Be interested in to know why Scarlett would want to produce this remake.
Speaker 2: Maybe this was one of her favorite movies growing up. I mean too, you never know. I think that's cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, doing a reboot's awesome.
Speaker 2: We figured as we were talking about something like The Tower of Terror, which of course was, as we said at the beginning, the very first ever movie that was based on a ride and not the other way around, we thought we would talk to a little bit about all the Disney rides that inspired movies that Disney has made since The.
Speaker 1: Tower of Terror.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, because now it's happened more right, So the Haunted Mansion twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we've seen those. Tomorrowland.
Speaker 4: I even't seen tomorrow Land.
Speaker 1: Tomorrowland is uh George Clooney, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen that.
Speaker 2: Can you believe that? It's Actually it's pretty good. It's very clever. It's a really expensive movie. This is not a Wonderful World at Disney movie. I mean they are going to going to Tomorrowland. It's really really cool the way that they do it. George Clooney is always great. Jungle Cruise, which I haven't seen. Did you see that one?
Speaker 4: No? Yes, yes, the new one. It's newer age yeah, I did.
Speaker 1: It's is that the rock?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's an Emily right, it's so good. I loved it.
Speaker 1: Is it really well? I have not seen Jungle Cruise yet.
Speaker 3: Yes, I thought there'd probably be another one because I really liked it.
Speaker 2: Really Okay, I'm gonna have to check that out. The Country Bears, I did not know that.
Speaker 3: I didn't know there was a movie or anything on the Country Bears.
Speaker 1: I think I've seen the Country Bear Jamboree.
Speaker 3: I know what area of Disneyland it used to because it's gone now, is it the Witty the Pooh Ride.
Speaker 4: Is in that area?
Speaker 3: Now that whole area is not there over by Splash Mountain at Disneyland.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's ever going to be a lallapalooza type tour with all of these old animatronic bands where it's going to be like the Country Bear Jamboree is going to be opening for the band that was always at Chuck E Cheese, you know, like, oh man, I've gotten rid.
Speaker 4: Of all those Chucky Jeeze doesn't even really have that anymore. The mouse comes out. It's got what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, So all these old bands are going to get together into a Festival, the Animatronic Festival.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Would go to it because none of the kids nowadays know anything about iould just.
Speaker 1: For the comedy.
Speaker 2: And if you can get that many people, that many people to Firefest, you can get people to this. And of course the biggest one of all time by far is Pirates of the Caribbean.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now my question for you is, of all the rides that are out there that they haven't made a movie on, what would you pick to do the next movie?
Speaker 3: Okay, so there's not a lot of rides that aren't connected to move even I mean, well, Splash Mountain was an old movie. They're redoing that for Princess Frog.
Speaker 1: Right, okay with Tiana. Yeah.
Speaker 3: At Disneyland, Splash Mountain is under construction right now.
Speaker 2: To do parks closed. Moose out front should have told you, yeah, yep, so there's that.
Speaker 4: You've got big Thunder.
Speaker 1: I'd go big Thunder.
Speaker 4: I think big Thunder.
Speaker 3: I mean it's either that Space Mountain or the Matter Horn.
Speaker 4: That's not a movie, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: One with the new land they have at Disney. Have you heard of this Star Wars That could be a good movie. Yeah, I see, somehow a Backrey big Land.
Speaker 1: So maybe I think they could do it.
Speaker 4: Sure a few people will go and watch a movie like that.
Speaker 1: A Big Thunder Mountain, Big Thunder Mountains.
Speaker 3: Let's go Western style, That's what I'm saying, and get a bunch of country artists involved, or or we.
Speaker 1: Could not have country music either one, but we could.
Speaker 3: I'm always down for musical Will it has show?
Speaker 2: God, you're combining two of my favorite things, country and musicals. No, somebody, a kid and his family gets on a small roller coaster and somehow something happens in the ride and they're transported back to the wild West. Ooh, I love and maybe the family has to rebuild the roller coaster back in the day or something like that. And it's Big Thunder Mountain. So I think that could. By the way, that's trademarked Bobby. Yeah, Bobby Industries to go basical rewind Industries as a trademark, Ricky Bobby.
Speaker 1: So that's it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I want to get into Sabrina Seas right now because I'm dying to know what.
Speaker 1: You saw in this movie.
Speaker 2: And then we got to rate it, and I know the rating system is going to be a little different on this one.
Speaker 1: So go ahead.
Speaker 3: Okay, So first, the big thing I really wanted to highlight was.
Speaker 4: The music of this movie.
Speaker 3: I really did love it, and you know, I'm like so driven by music.
Speaker 4: The very first.
Speaker 3: Scene is, Yeah, what I wish I lived in just that swing dancing big band, you know, just the the cocktails and the coops.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just I loved everything.
Speaker 3: I loved their their costuming and the grandness of what you felt like it would be at that big you know, because it's a real place in Hollywood right this.
Speaker 4: You know, it is an actual building that you drive by.
Speaker 3: It's easy to drive by, and it's like old Hollywood, you know. I thinking Marilyn Monroe would be in the corner and you know, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: So that was my thing. I loved.
Speaker 3: The music was awesome right from the beginning, and then the big things that I kept seeing, like was just the movements of music with that would bring the characters in and that scary vibe.
Speaker 4: Again, I wasn't terrified through this movie.
Speaker 3: But I loved the music and I loved like how you could feel the goosebumps starting to come by just the score alone. Yeah, So that was like my favorite aspect of this movie. I thought that, And it was all throughout the whole movie when there was something that made sense, you know, even when she went back home and she's getting her way with her mom, while her mom's planting the tree to get to go with her uncle again.
Speaker 4: All of it.
Speaker 3: The music just really struck me. I don't know why I really loved it.
Speaker 1: I agree, I thought it was great.
Speaker 3: The other thing I started having to just note down because there was just so many how bad of an uncle this guy was.
Speaker 4: He was such a bad.
Speaker 3: And I think maybe by the time the couch scene happened, he had been such a bad uncle so many times that it was really unnerving that he would be put in the opportunity to even watch her overnight. Yeah saying anything weird creepy, but that he was just really not mindful of being an adult in the situation. One of the first things is he's leaves and he leaves her with with Abigail, Yeah, in her apartment.
Speaker 4: He just goests and leaves her.
Speaker 1: Well, in all fairness, they knew her for almost ten minutes.
Speaker 4: Right ten minutes exactly.
Speaker 3: He leaving her in the front while he has this like kind of romantic thing with the ghost a little bit like he starts kind of falling in love with the ghost.
Speaker 4: Romantic and yeah, that part was compact.
Speaker 1: I didn't even want touch on all.
Speaker 3: Anyway, He left her in front of this haunted place, this actual haunted that he saw.
Speaker 4: He'd already seen stuff.
Speaker 1: They know that there's ghosts in there.
Speaker 4: He leaves her in the front door. The door's wide open, he leaves her.
Speaker 3: He just continued to do that, and with the ghosts, he just like he just didn't really care about his niece. And that was just so it started to irritate me. She's your responsibility more. Will never go with somebody like.
Speaker 1: Gotta get the story, Gotta get.
Speaker 4: The story, gotta get the story.
Speaker 3: So his bad behavior in bad adulting was one of the most jarring Sabrina sees for me. I just started writing down there's a fun more, but we've gone through so many of them, it's just kind of kind of insane. And then the last thing I didn't really understand what the love connection or not love connection between him and his reporter friend.
Speaker 1: They was none kind of well.
Speaker 3: They mentioned in the beginning that there was supposed to be a date, right and then and she's irritated, But you can't tell if she's irritated because he screwed her over and dates situations, or if she's just still so disappointed in him for not fact like fact checking.
Speaker 1: They were exes.
Speaker 2: I think they alluded to the fact that they had dated. And then there was a weird thing where he goes in and says, I've got this story. She says, I don't want the story. He turns and lee and then comes back and says he wants to get.
Speaker 1: Lobster with her. Yes, she plays. It was very.
Speaker 3: Weird, and there was no Again, this is one of the things that just there was no completion. There was no They're either just going to be friends or they're gonna go ahead and give it another go.
Speaker 4: And then it's strange to me.
Speaker 1: Flirts with Melaura Harden and she floats back.
Speaker 4: He definitely flirts with her. He is trying to get a date with her, no.
Speaker 2: Problem, Yeah, talking about being ghosted, thank you, So yeah, I mean, come up. But then she send me people's kisses them at the end like out of nowhere, just kisses the grass.
Speaker 3: Yes, like it just kind of I don't know, it just it was a little. That relationship was a little wonky to me, didn't make sense.
Speaker 1: All the love story aspects were very because.
Speaker 3: You didn't really know that the actor I wouldn't say the same thing that they were together.
Speaker 4: You did it.
Speaker 1: It was I did.
Speaker 3: And again another part of the creepy uncle situation, you didn't realize they were, like I feel they should have established that this was an uncle niece earlier than they did. It took a little too long for them to say uncle whatever, or.
Speaker 1: My uncle it was.
Speaker 2: And they had to keep him the uncle because he would have been such a bad father that you know what I mean. It's like, let's make him the uncle. At least there's a chance where it's not his kid. It's like, okay, you're not actually my responsibility.
Speaker 4: Right, exactly right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So okay. I liked the movie. I didn't love the movie, but I certainly liked it. It was it was enjoyable. But it was definitely interesting to see the difference between A Wonderful World of Disney and a dcom because they are very different. Not so much My Date with the President's Daughter and some of the dcoms, those were more similar, but this very much bigger actors based on the adults bigger budget you're.
Speaker 3: You're chiming into that based on adults is just a huge difference for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh way different, way different. Yeah, So why don't we, uh, why don't we rate this movie? The question is.
Speaker 4: Rate by what?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: By how many jealousies sons of bell hops wrongly accused nanny?
Speaker 1: I would instead of ghost moans?
Speaker 2: How about creepy little girl moans inappropriate uncles?
Speaker 1: How many?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What do we want to we can't do?
Speaker 4: To say that one putting your foot down?
Speaker 1: I can't do that, Okay, fair enough to do that one?
Speaker 2: What do you got?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let you pick.
Speaker 4: I think we'll do creepy little girl moans? Okay, creepy little girl ghost modes? All right?
Speaker 2: So out of ten one being the worst and ten being the best, how many creepy little girl moans do you give this movie?
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna just get RM for this, but I'm gonna go with the six point five cepy little girl ghost mons.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I uh, I'm not gonna be too far away from you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna give it a seven. Okay seven?
Speaker 2: Creepy little girl Ghost moans, And I'm gonna give it a seven because, uh, it was it was big swinging for the fences with Wonderful of the Disney. It changed the ballgame when it came to Disney Park rides and things like that. And we talked about DJ McHale coming on to direct, who was doing Are You Afraid of the Dark? And this movie is the perfect example of how difficult it is to ride that line between spooky and scary for younger people.
Speaker 4: For a younger audience, because you.
Speaker 2: Can't go saw gory, creepy, oh my god, somebody's got razor blades on their fingers or creepy teeth like in it. You have to ride that line between you can kind of see where the ghosts are coming from and things are shaking and it's and it's done with music and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So because that's such a difficult.
Speaker 2: Line and because DJ McHale is a master at it, I'm going to stick with seven.
Speaker 1: And I think that's yeah, I think that's song.
Speaker 3: I I this was a movie for me. I couldn't shut off the way we talked about and just let it let myself enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I feel like I.
Speaker 3: Have probably because of the genre that it was in, you know, the genre that I've I want.
Speaker 4: To see something scary.
Speaker 3: I want to see something scary, versus realizing this was meant for a family to sit down.
Speaker 4: And watch and enjoy together.
Speaker 3: So I, for whatever reason, with this movie, wasn't able to do that. So I didn't allow myself to enjoy it as much. Maybe I'll take a break and I'll watch it again.
Speaker 1: I wonder if you watch it, maybe.
Speaker 4: I'll watch it with Monroe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you see how scared.
Speaker 2: Like is she getting kind of scared right, then it might it's like Christmas.
Speaker 1: It's like it comes back again for you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: If it was around Halloween time too, you know that kind of gets you in the movie.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, you get the whole vibe. I understeah, But it makes.
Speaker 3: Me excited to watch the movies that we will watch, Halloween Town, all of that.
Speaker 4: We're going to watch those kinds of movies.
Speaker 1: All the Halloween speak you ones. So I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you all for joining us as we recapped Tower of Terror.
Speaker 1: The nineteen ninety seven Wonderful World of Disney.
Speaker 2: Jugger Nott frankly that started the whole Disney kind of thing of doing the movies because of the rides. It's man, they can just make a movie out of anything, It's right.
Speaker 1: So our next movie is the two thousand and two Cheerleader.
Speaker 2: Comedy Gotta Kick It Up with Oscar Nominee America Ferua.
Speaker 1: So we got I.
Speaker 2: I know nothing about that nothing Until I read Cheerleader Comedy. I had no idea what this movie was about. Now I'm going in blind with this movie.
Speaker 4: Wow. All right, so it's a good one.
Speaker 1: It is, okay, I'm I'm very excited. I can't. I am a big Cheerleader movie fan.
Speaker 2: That sounds creepy, but I am the the bring It.
Speaker 3: On, Bring It On is a great movie. Oh yeah, so I seven of them are pretty good?
Speaker 1: Were there seven bring it On? Yes? Oh wow, that's I did not.
Speaker 3: I think I think it's seven. There might be more to make in a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I only saw the first one, so I didn't even know what that was. But if you want to watch along with us, Got to Kick It Up is on Disney Plus, so you can join us. Make sure you watch it or don't, and let us first talk about it. And then you can go back and watch it after that, but until then, remember to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much and we will see you next time.
Speaker 4: Bye.