Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to the Thursday edition of Fair Territory. I'm Ken Rosenthal here with Alana Rizzo. Alana, we're through the All Star Game, We're about to hit the trade deadline, and we start the show with a little bit of news. Chase Burns and the Cincinnati Reds in agreement on a seven year, one hundred and five million dollar extension. It starts next year. You can see right there the terms no options, no deferrals, largest guarantee to a picture with less than four years of service. This obviously is good news for the Reds. They have wanted to sign Elie Dela Cruz long term as well. That is not happening. And Dela Cruz is represented, not by the people who negotiated this deal, that was Greginsky and Eric Castro of Vayner Sports, but Scott Boris, that is, Elie Delacruz is representative. And Scott Boris rarely extensions with players that he represents unless the player absolutely says he wants to. It happens, but it doesn't happen very often. What Boris prefers as his clients to establish their market value and as free agents. So Chase Burns in the Reds. That's locked up. We go forward, and there's a lot going on in the sport right now, a lot of talk about deadline, Alana, So let's get right.
Speaker 2: To it, all right, let's get to it.
Speaker 3: Always good to be with you, Ken, really quickly before we get to the deadline stuff. Just your quick assessment of the All Star Game.
Speaker 1: Well, the game itself wasn't the most captivating, right, but still the city of Philadelphia is shown pretty brightly in my opinion. And I went to school here and I worked outside the city for a while, so I'm quite familiar with it. Citizens Bank Park has been a revelation in Philadelphia's sports because it changed the environment for the Phillies, the dull environment and Veterans Stadium into an election one. So I love the whole experience, the cave itself, Eh, it's.
Speaker 2: Just okay, all right.
Speaker 3: I love the fact the collaboration between Major League Baseball and Fox Sports. MLB on Fox an unbelievable homage to the Sandlot and the fourth of July. What a beautiful presentation and display. Good job on that, all right, all eyes now, Ken, our attention is turned to the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: Less than three weeks away. How do you think the trade deadline has evolved?
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting, Alana. We wrote a story in The Athletic Today, myself, Patrick Mooney, Will Salmon, and Katie Wu about the deadline, and you can see the headline right there, Blockbuster Summer. Why buying and selling at MLB's trade deadline is more complicated than ever And really some changes have taken place in recent years to alter the dynamics of the deadline what we once knew starting in twenty nineteen. That was when Major League Baseball eliminated the August waiver period. So the deadline now is the true deadline. It's August third this year, and after that no trades of consequence can take place. So there's motivation certainly to make deals. As we describe it in the lead of our story, this is like a last chance to learn. Now. Come twenty twenty two, the playoffs expanded, and that has changed the deadline too because there are more teams involved in the mix less definition. We're definitely seeing that this year, and what we're seeing right now are twenty three of the thirty teams within four games of a playoff spot. It's incredible. So the buyers the sellers. Teams aren't quite sure where they are in many cases, and that has changed the dynamic. Two. And then the final thing and the thrust of this story that we wrote today is how gms today heads of baseball operations are looking at the same data. They kind of have the same mindsets as Billy being described in our story. They kind of function like actuaries. And what do actuaries for insurance companies do? They seek to mitigate risk. Here's the quote from Billy Bean. This is not a criticism, but by its nature, analytics generally are very conservative. We sort of saw ourselves as actuaries, right, actuaries from insurance companies in a very crude way. That's what we were doing. Now they're doing it in an even more sophisticated way. And what do actuaries do, as I said before, they mitigate risk. So it's a different dynamic. Then you might say, Okay, if no one's willing to take a risk, then why do we have a record number of trades on deadline day last year? Thirty six trades? We have trades. We'll have a lot of trade this season as well. The question is do we see the big impact trades that we once did occasionally, Yes, and maybe Trek Schooble, if the Tigers decide to move him, is that guy. But as we kind of describe in the story, even if Schooble moves, what team is going to be willing to meet the Tigers price in terms of both prospects and be willing to take on the nearly ten million dollars salary as well.
Speaker 3: Ken That's a perfect segue because everybody wants to know what is the market for Trek Schooble. It's the question that keeps getting asked, will the Tigers move him?
Speaker 2: And if so, where do you think he's going?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the big question. The first one alta what you just said, will the Tigers move him? I would say the odds right now are considerably less than they were on June first. Remember, on June first, and I wrote about this, and I basically consider the trade was going to happen at that point, And it looks now that I might have been wrong. On June first, the Tigers were twenty two and thirty eight, worst record in the Major leagues. Since June first, they're twenty two and fourteen, tied for the best record in the American League. So if you're the Tigers, yeah, you're games for under five hundred, but you're three and a half out in the wildcard race, only six and a half out in a week division. You see the division standings right there, you certainly have a chance. You've got a chance because Schooble is healthy, other players are healthy as well, and you're in a week division in a week league. So a lot depends not just for the Tigers but for all teams on what happens in the next two and a half weeks. It's almost going to be like a Pennant race of its own, because we're gonna see teams trying to define themselves. And it just seems to me, unless the Tigers outright collapse Alana, that they're gonna be inclined to keep Schooble and go for it. And why not. They're in a league in which, if they get hot and maybe add pieces, they can be the league champion and maybe even the World Series champion.
Speaker 3: Ken how much does the looming CBA and potential lockout kind of creep over in terms of a dark cloud on any sort of trades or movement going forward, It will.
Speaker 1: Have something of an effect, I believe, but I don't know, Alana, if it's going to have that big an effect. The group of players that would be most affected here would be the ones that are free agents after the twenty twenty seven season. So if you're in that position, what do you do with a player like that? If you're a team knowing that next season we may miss part of it, we might miss all of it, and essentially that player will be lost to you. Do you trade him now? Or do you wait and have confidence that this will all work out and you'll still have that player under control for twenty twenty seven? Do you try to extend that player now? There are all kinds of possibilities with those particular players, and yeah, that could have an effect. But I do believe most teams are simply going to try to win, and that's been the motivation at the deadline forever. That's why the deadline is so exciting. These teams are trying to make moves to better position themselves. I still see that happening.
Speaker 3: All right, so many moving parts, as so many teams are certainly in that wildcard mix in the American League. Speaking of the American League, can what are the Red Sox going to do. They finished the first half of the season winning nine straight games, forcing the issue, of course, for Craig Breslow and Sam Kennedy in that front office.
Speaker 2: Are they making moves? What do they do?
Speaker 1: Alana, you're putting it to me too directly. What they're going to do and what they do, like I just described with other teams, depends a lot on what's going to happen over the next two to three weeks. Now Here the Red Sox, they just had to end the first half a nine game road winning streak against two week opponents the Angels and Mets, and a better one. The White Sox now comes to a different kind of test, a ten game homestand and remember they haven't been as good as whole at home as they have been on the road home stand against Ale East opponents. It's Tampa Bay four games in three days, It's Baltimore, a team that's right in the middle of the wildcard race as well, and then another team in the middle of the wildcard race, Toronto. These ten games could go a long way toward defining who the Red Sox are and what their direction might be, or maybe not.
Speaker 2: We'll see all right, same boat for the Orioles.
Speaker 3: I seem like we talk about them a lot, but they don't seem to have any sort of traction.
Speaker 2: Are they in the same type of boat.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting you put it that way, Alta, because yes, they have not seemed to have any kind of traction. But like the Red Sox, they benefited from a soft schedule. At the end of the first half. They had the Royals in town in Baltimore and they beat them three straight games, had their first four game winning streak of the season. The problem was they lost Blaize Alexander. They're surging third basement to a broken hand in the final game. But yes, they have played. Are they playing well enough? I don't really think so. But there are only two games out in the race of the Turtles American League wildcard race. Yes they have a chance. I love that.
Speaker 2: The race of the Turtles.
Speaker 3: All right, National League much tighter, much more serious of a league. This seeds in ken the Milwaukee Brewers. They have added already Lance mccullors junior over from the Astros. Are they done?
Speaker 2: What do they need to do?
Speaker 1: Well? Lance mccullor's junior, all due respect, is not nearly enough. Is a guy who missed twenty three and twenty four has a six and a half ERA since returning last season and this season combined, so hopefully he's going to be healthy and hopefully he's going to pitch well for them. Lance McCullers junior has accomplished a lot and been through a lot, but the Brewers need more. And the question with them right now, and it's so interesting because this was the strength of their team in the early part of the season. The question with them is their rotation. Randon Wood he's out until at least September, Kyle Harrison on the injured list with a left forearm strain that's always ominous. And then Jacob Mizeraski as great as he has been, and he has been amazing. He ended the first half miss the starter, was scratched from his last start with arm fatigue, and then he didn't pitch in the All Star gave him no big deal there, But is miss healthy? Is he going to be what he was in the first half? Is Hale Harrison' going to come back? The Brewers have these questions and maybe it persuades them to be more aggressive with starting pitching or maybe, and this to me is perhaps the more likely scenario. They say, you know what, with all these pitching questions, maybe it's not a year to go all in for a terroek school. We maybe we do our usual thing, work around the edges, do the best we can, but we can't count on this being a World Series type year. It would be kind of I'm trying to think of the right words here, kind of a retreat, I guess. But I'm not sure they're going to push really hard and push forward in an aggressive way when they have these questions looming over them.
Speaker 3: Right now, the Milwaukee Brewers can fifty nine and thirty seven, a five game advantage in the NL es Central. As we look at our focus in terms of the AL Central, if you will, the White Sox, let's start there, and then we'll also talk about the Cards and the Nats, both in the National League. Of course, you're saying they don't want to buy, why not let's start with the White Sox.
Speaker 1: Well, in an ideal world, actually I shouldn't put it that way. It's not an ideal world. The ideal world is to win, right, but these teams enter the season not thinking they were going to win, probably anticipating that they would be sellers, and now, in varying degrees, they are all quite competitive. Now the Nationals to me, are the most likely sellers in this group. They have a great offense, terrible bullpen, blue three straight late inning leads to the Yankees entering the break one game below five hundred. Now the Cardinals, on the other hand, or one game out in the wildcard race in the National League, they are five games over five hundred. I don't know that they have enough pitching to one make the playoffs and two win a playoff series. But it's not as if they can sell here. They need to at least try to supplement what they have. And then there are the White Sox, who, of course are tied for the American League Central League same record as the Cardinals fifty and forty five. And the White Sox they're gonna try. Yes, they're gonna be aggressive. Now, They're not gonna go crazy on rentals, but for controllable players, and they need pitching. But for controllable players. Yeah, maybe they'll do something interesting and I can see them being more aggressive than the other two teams there.
Speaker 3: Ken When you think about the San Diego Padres, You automatically think aj Peler, you know that they're going to be making moves for better or for worse. What direction do you think San Diego goes in.
Speaker 1: They're another team Alana where it seemingly depends on the next few and they have not been inspired at all this season, last in the major leagues in runs per game, twenty seventh in rotation era. They are a five hundred club. They haven't played well really the whole year. And they've got perhaps Nick Pavetta and Joe Musgrove coming back in August. At least that's the expectation, and then you have to wonder what they will be and the Padres have to figure out, Okay, do we expect that these guys will be actual contributors or can we just not count on them that much? Really, there's no way to know. So AJ Peler's instinct always is to put the best possible team on the field, but in this case, if they don't play well over the next two weeks two and a half weeks, he's going to have to listen at least two offers for closer Mason Miller. Now, maybe he doesn't get what he wants. Maybe he prefers to take it into the offseason, when, of course there's going to be a lockout. I don't know, but they're kind of hanging on a thread here and it's kind of left open the possibility of them going either way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the San Diego patter is very uninspired. Baseball Ken twelve and a half games out of the Division, three and a half out of the last wild card spot, sitting at forty eight and forty eight at an even five hundred. All right, we're gonna wrap up this first segment. Don't forget to get those questions in Grill and Ken is on deck right after this.
Speaker 4: Many people have this problem. I want to eat healthy. I have the willpower, I don't have the time and the organization. I need help.
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 5: I mean you go to factor. I got two boys that are looking for the gains and they always come in the house, which I'm looking for food. Now they have actual healthy food that is great for them, and you know what, it's ready in the fridge for them to pop in and make it right away.
Speaker 4: And they have meals built around your goals. It could be weight loss, overall nutrition gains, more protein, fresh never frozen over one hundred rotating weekly meals, including globally inspired flavors like Mediterranean, Asian. I get all kinds of different salads from Factor that I love quick easy. They can be ready in two minutes. Head to Factor Meals dot com. Slash foul fifty off and use code Foul fifty off to get fifty percent off and free daily Green's per box with new subscription only while supplies last until nine twenty seven, twenty six.
Speaker 3: All right, is time now for Grill and Ken. Don't forget to get those questions in.
Speaker 2: We'll get to as many as possible.
Speaker 3: Let's start here with it's kind of a Major League Baseball versus a Major League Baseball Players Association question. As of course, the lockout is looming. Ken hopefully not if they can get things together. But we'll try with this first question anyway, as much as let's see, are we we're putting the question up there?
Speaker 2: All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Are we any closer to harmony between the two sides?
Speaker 2: Harmony?
Speaker 1: We are so not closer to harmony. And both the head of the Union, Bruce Meyer and the Commissioner of Baseball Rob Mamford spoke to reporters at our annual BBWA meeting at the All Star Game, and if you had one takeaway, the one takeaway would be these two guys are not even talking the same language. Of course, Major League Baseball wants a salary cap and salary floor. The Union wants nothing of the sort. The Union has always been interested more in a free market flexibility. So that is the essence of the problem. We could talk all day about the different questions and things that came up, but that's where we are, and I don't see it getting any better anytime soon. I don't have any reason to believe that a lockout will not take a place, a take effect on June. I'm sorry on December first, I'm mixing up to my dates here. There's going to be a lockout, and the question is going to be how long it's going to go.
Speaker 3: Now, that's so unfortunate, considering baseball popularity is at an all time high. It'd be nice that these guys on both sides of the table can get it together. First question, in terms of the chat from Jim Jim Werdta. As much as he wants to ask about the Sleeping Mariners, the more juicy question is this. Do you see any owner selling all or minority shares of their team the minute a new CBA is agreed upon.
Speaker 1: It depends on a few things. What kind of CBA are we looking at. If we're looking at one that does include a salary cap and floor, the purpose of that, despite what the owners might say about wanting to honor the fans' desires, the purpose of a salary cap and floor is for the owners to enhance their franchise values. That's what a CAP would do. That's what they want. So if they get a cap, I can see teams being sold and being sold for great prices because at that point the owners will have the certainty that they want and that will make of course the franchise is in some ways more attractive. Now you can make franchise values more attractive even without a cap. We're not going to get into all that right now, but again, yeah, that's the motivation here in many ways, actually the prime motivation salary cap enhanced franchise values. That's what the owners want.
Speaker 3: Man, I wish in the next life that I was the owner of a major League baseball team or the Seattle Seahawks who just sold for gazillion dollars, all right, Jim Jim Ward that Ken has another question here, are we sleeping on the Twins or are they really a sixth seed in the wildcard?
Speaker 1: Well, I would say we've slept on them the whole season, and we've slept on them for good reason. They ripped up their entire team at last year's deadline, traded pretty much their entire bullpen, and of course got rid of Carlos Korea as well. Now they've played really well and they still need bullpen help and they're probably going to try to get it. What's interesting about the Twins is that they could be something of a surprise buyer. For all the talk of Joe Ryan and Byron Buxton going somewhere else, I don't see that happening, and they're not signaling that that's going to happen. And of course Buxton where there no trade to sing, he doesn't want it to happen. What they should do is try to go forward a little bit, and their new control person, Tompo lad has basically said he wants to do some things that will bring the franchise back to a better place within the community. Fans don't like that. Team right now. They don't like them because of the way they've been run. Not the players, it's the way that they've been run, cutting payroll after making the playoffs all of that. So I can see the team or the Twins being a bit aggressive here.
Speaker 3: All right, just flow is our final question here, and Grill and Ken wants to know who do you think was the biggest winner of the draft obviously Major League Baseball amateur draft just happening over the course of this All Star Week.
Speaker 2: Anybody that stick out to you?
Speaker 1: Honestly, Lean, I am not a draft expert, and I do not follow the draft that closely, so I would be going out of my lane if I started breaking down the draft right here. I cover all thirty teams, but really at the major league level, So I'm going to pass on this question out of ignorance.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: See, that's what makes you good at what you do because you do know when not to speak when you're uninformed, and I love that about you, Ken Rosenthal, all right, dude and dork is coming up, But first a word about Sea Geek.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 3: This episode is sponsored by Seat Geek, second Half Tickets and the Pennant Chase what would you want to see Ken shohe O Tani always of course a must watch. Hopefully he's going to pitch soon after getting his knee drained from the inflammation, but we can enjoy him while we can in person. Anybody that you're looking forward to seeing, you have a big game coming up this week.
Speaker 1: We do. It's Yankees Dodgers, so I'd have to say I'm looking forward to that Yankee Stadium, those two teams. Of course, a rematch of the twenty twenty four World Series. It should be rather lively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking forward to that as well.
Speaker 3: I will not be there in person, but you guys can be there if you want. To seek geek number one rated ticketing app.
Speaker 2: The seat Geek is.
Speaker 3: Major League Baseball's efficient official ticket marketplace rather and of course we have a code for you guys. You can use the code territory ten for ten percent off your next set of Major League Baseball tickets at seat Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later, Thank you Seat Geek for your partnership. Looking to take your MLB action to the next level this season, Boosted Odds are here to crank up every pitch, swing and home run bet. MGM is hooking you up with your very own MLB Odds Boost token to get things started all season long. Just add any MLB bet to your bet slip, evate your Odds Boost token and lock it in. If your bet hits, you're catching out with an even bigger payout gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or one eight hundred my reset.
Speaker 1: I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.
Speaker 3: I think there are a lot of really good options to choose from this week. Ken, who is your due to the week Jordan Walker?
Speaker 1: And I encourage everyone to read the fabulous story by Katie Woo today in The Athletic on the home run derby champion a year ago. Jordan Walker was reworking his swing while on a double a rehabilitation assignment. And I love it. You know this a lot because I talk about it a lot. I love it when guys who were down find a way to get up again, and he certainly did that and terrific performance. Of course in the derby were the all star Jordan Walker due to the week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was making one hundred eight hundred thousand dollars this year, Ken, is his salary that one night, that right swing a million. His mom and dad were there cheering him on. His lovely girlfriend was walking down the red carpet with them. So awesome opportunity for Jordan Walker.
Speaker 2: Well done.
Speaker 3: All right, my dude of the week are five kids, and they are kids to me. But in twenty nineteen, Ken, I took a photo. Happened to just snap a photo of these five young men. The Dodgers were playing the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park and you see in this photo both of the Ebel boys, Trey and Brady Ebel, and you also see Jacob Lombard as well as George Lombard Junior. And right in the middle is Cole Roberts Dave and Trisha Robert's son. Well, these kids have basically grown up at the ballpark. I snapped this photo of these guys. All five of them have been drafted into Major League Baseball at some level or another, or drafted into pro ball. I should say both Ebel boys Dino Ebel's son, the third base coach of the Los Angeles Dodgers. They've been drafted by the Brewers organization. George Lombard Junior was drafted by the Yankees organization, and Jacob Lombard was just drafted as the four fourteenth pick in the first round to the Miami Marlins organization. That is his hometown team. And now Cole Roberts is the bench coach for Single A in the Tigers organization.
Speaker 2: So it's just great to see these.
Speaker 3: Young I mean, they were kids and now they've all been drafted or have some level of you know, going ons with with pro ball. So congratulations to all five of those young men. All right, time now for the dork of the week. Okay, Ken, who's your dork?
Speaker 1: All right, Alana, I'm going to start off with a qualifier, and the qualifier is this, I have mispronounced names on national television. I have mispronounced names on this network's the foul Territory Network. So I understand that that can happen, and you have to give a little bit of grace. I know people don't want to give grace at times like that, but in general, I would say grace is not a bad thing to do with mispronunciations. That said, when Rob Manfred, the Commissioner of Baseball, mispronounced the number one pick in the Giraft's name on national television, it was not a great look. And that's why Rob Manfred is going to be the dork of the week. It's Rockchulowski, it's not Rock Chaluski. And it's almost a situation where you've got one job as the commissioner. In that situation, you've got one job instack at the names, right. It's actually the one job we all have at all times, and none of us really should ever get any name wrong, but it does happen. That said, that was a bad time for it to happen. I get it, it can happen. But Rob Manfred dork of the week for that reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I completely understand that that is your one job. You are the commissioner of the league. He's been the one to one for at least a year. We've known about that. I've done it too, though. I remember calling Mark to share a Mark Texi era. I remember calling Michael could die or Mike Kudgier. I mean, I've I've done my fair share of mispronunciations as well.
Speaker 2: All Right, my.
Speaker 3: Dork of the week is Mike Tyson, and I can't even describe why.
Speaker 2: I will let him describe.
Speaker 1: Why show he could not be here tonight.
Speaker 5: He sends his gratitude and appreciation at ESPN and everyone who voted for him.
Speaker 3: Show Mike Tyson, please don't ever change show Hey Otani. Ken, Mike Tyson did not know who Show Hey Otani was. He called him Atani, which is fine again name mispronunciation. But then he looked at uh was it John Paul or Jake Paul or whatever, say, I don't know who that guy is, and said, oh, Show he's a guy.
Speaker 2: You didn't know that show Hey Otani was a man? Ken, How do you not know show he's a man? I'm so confused.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we're delivered in your own world.
Speaker 2: He's the guy. He's the guy.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, that's it for us here at foul Territory or fair territory rather with Ken Rosenthal.
Speaker 2: Foul Territory is back. It is coming up next.
Speaker 3: Eric Kratz, Kevin Polar, Scott Braund, Robert Murray and James began join and don't forget Ken is back on Monday. Have a great weekend, everybody