Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome back to my podcast, to your podcast, to our podcast. I'm so happy that you are here. Thank you very much for taking the time, and I'm very excited because I have a very interesting episode in store for you today. We're going to be talking about dreams, what our dreams, what do they mean, should we take them literally? What happens if you don't dream at all. We're going to be talking about all that and more with our guest Leah Bolan. She's a sleep and dream expert based in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Leyah, how are you hello, I'm great, Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to have a lot of questions. So I do want to talk about everything that has to do with dreams. But before we do that, can you tell me what drew you to this line of work.
Speaker 2: Sure, I really started coming to my dream life through my corporate life. Really, it was early in my corporate career. I started to struggle a lot with sleep, which introduced me to wanting to get into sleep health for myself really, but it became a passion. But my dream life was suddenly coming around really vivid, a little bit scary. At that time in my life, I was having a lot of those running, fleeing, hiding kind of dreams, and I wasn't sure what was going on. I decided something was trying to get my attention, and I started to look into as much as I could about dreams. And no one around me was talking about them, no one seemed to care about them. But the more I started to pay attention, I started to see how they were amazing parts of our life that are so interlocked with what's going on in our waking life. And they became my ultimate self help and eventually I became certified as a dream work practitioner. Wanted to help others connect with this part of their life.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank goodness for you, because I've had this recurring dream. As you were speaking, I was remembering, we'll get to that part because I'm like, okay, need I need someone to tell me because it would freak me out. So anyway, okay, so before we get into all that, you know the nitty gritty. So you're a sleep and dream expert. What are those two things connected?
Speaker 2: So it's interesting so often when you look at experts on sleep, they're very much focused on just the science of the sleep itself, and they may look at REM sleep patterns as part of an over whole night of sleep. But as far as this subjective, experiential part of the dream realm, they don't tend to get very focused on that. And then you'll have dream workers that are highly focused on the dream realm and how to work with the dreams and really analyze dreams. Rarely do enough people, I think, really respect how intermingled these two states are, and dreaming is a part of sleep, and I found that they absolutely go hand in hand, and a good night of sleep is always going to have some dream time.
Speaker 1: So we dream because we're in a deep, deep sleep, and it takes us to like kind of like another dimension in some way, or is that like farfetched?
Speaker 2: Well, interestingly, a lot of people equate dreams with deep sleep, and deep sleep is its own phase of sleep. It's actually a different phase than REM sleep, which is our most dream fortified part of our night of sleep. You can have dreams in other phases, but REM sleep. Rapid eye movement is what REM stands for, and if you look at someone dreaming, you'll often see their eyes kind of fluttering behind their eyelids. That's why it's called rapid eye movement. When someone's having that phase, they're generally dreaming, and it's actually a very active form of sleep that's different than deep sleep. So if you looked at someone's brainwave patterns while they're dreaming as compared to someone who's awake and going about the day, you might not even really be able to discern the difference, whereas in deep sleep it's very slow brainwave patterns and we're really harder to rouse where someone is a little closer to the surface when they're in dream sleep. Interestingly, but I would say, yeah, we are in experiences. We are having consciousness experiences in a very different awareness, a different realm. It's taking place in a way that we might think of as being bizarre or strange, but really it's an incredible I would say it's kind of multi dimensional because there's so many different kinds of dreams. Some are very spiritual. I think we connect to the great oneness of all potentially when we're dreaming, but a lot of kind of inner psyche work is happening in this different space having experiences.
Speaker 1: Okay, And does everyone dream?
Speaker 2: Yes, generally speaking.
Speaker 1: Okay, because there are times when I don't. I feel like I don't a lot of the time. I want to say ninety percent of the time, I feel like I don't dream anything, or maybe it's just I don't remember.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. The National Sleep Foundation estimates most of us are having between four to six dreams per night, so in a full night of sleep, you're going through four to six sleep cycles. They each last about an hour and a half to two hours. As part of that, you'll have some rem which means you're probably dreaming. Most dreams go forgotten, it's estimated ninety five to ninety nine percent, So you're totally normal to not be remembering your dreams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're better than normal.
Speaker 2: It wants to be normal. But at the end of the day, it's pretty common that we don't hold a working memory of much anything that we've dreamt, and they're kind of fleeting. And you've probably had those experiences when you woke up with an amazing dream and you went to tell someone just a few minutes later and it's just collapsed away. There's not that same holding into a working memory happening when we're dreaming, so they're very easy to lose, and we can, though enhance that recall if we wanted to in the beginning, when my dreams were so negative it seemed. When I first started working with them, what I really learned is it's sort of like a shadow. You shine a light on it, it tends to disappear. And when we get underneath, why is this dream coming along? So often? It's empowering because we see it's not as scary as maybe we thought. It's based on something we're working through and dealing with. But then we can bring consciousness in and help the dreams help us and move towards a sweeter dream life by working with the dreams.
Speaker 1: I like that. I love that because you're like shed some light into it. I'm like, okay, maybe that's probably why that dream when I was young. It happened so much when I was young, and it followed me into like my early twenties, and it was this big concrete ball you know those I don't know what they're called, but it demolishes buildings. Yeah, it would follow me and I would run and it was chasing me for like ever, and I would hear this like clown music, I mean for years. And then I started meditating and I started getting into the spirituality of things. Now that you're you know, as you're speaking, I'm thinking and I'm like, oh, that's when it started going away, when I tapped in a little bit more to my spirituality. But it was so it was the scariest thing. So a wrecking ball, A wrecking ball, that thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so this wrecking ball is coming at you and you're running. It sounds like yes, So I mean, what an amazing symbolism really that your dream mind came up with. So do you do you mind if we go a little further.
Speaker 1: Into oh, let's let's let's yeah.
Speaker 2: Now you said you stopped having it. And that's the cool thing about dreams is we really only have the dreams as we need those dreams. Dreams are a type of reflection of what's needed now. So when you're having a dream, usually it's dealing with better emotional coping, consolidating, integrating of something right now. I'm needing to learn how to move through or beyond or find a way to handle when it's a negative dream. So you can think of it like an exposure therapy in that way, it's forcing you to uplevel what this feels like to be me right now. And so when you're in that dream and you're having it. A good way to start to understand, well, why would I be having that dream is rather than worry too much about the symbolism at first, because that can be tricky, is well, what's the emotional story I'm having to deal with in the dream? Because my dream is trying to up level my capacity to handle some emotional story I'm integrating. So this idea of I'm trying to escape or not have to face or get away from, this idea of something coming and wrecking, right, just demolishing. There may have been during the time you kept getting thrown into that dream, something where an aspect of you just was trying to either not have to confront or face or afraid of what might happen in the face of something.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: But then as you started to work with your ability to kind of be present and mindful and handle maybe your own inner well being, suddenly you don't need that dream anymore. Right, because life will throw us what feels like a wrecking ball from time to time. How do we handle it is really the key And and you've up leveled your capacity to handle certain things that may be coming at you. Well, that dream doesn't need to bother you anymore because you did the work.
Speaker 1: Okay. Oh my gosh, okay got it?
Speaker 2: So yeah, for you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yes, it makes a lot of sense. It makes so much sense, Leah. So do you believe in dream catchers?
Speaker 2: I love dream catchers as a symbol, and I think for children they can be a wonderful thing too, because children, when they first start remembering their dream life, children can have really scary dreams because they're dealing with a lot of upleveling of how to handle life, and they have minimal control in life, and all these learnings and making friends and dealing with things that are going on in their life they can't control can bring on a lot of scary dreams. And dream catchers are beautiful symbolism, kind of based in Native American tribal tradition, and there's a story behind them. There's a few stories, but the most widely used story is a grandmother whose grandson comes into the room and goes to swat a spider, and the grandmother says, oh, no, grandson, don't we don't kill the spider. And when the grandson left, the spider was so grateful that he wove her a beautiful web and said this will keep all the negative dreams away or all the nightmares away. And then there's usually like a little maybe crystal in the middle, and the idea is that it it keeps the negative dreams coming from coming through. And sometimes just putting something like this in our vicinity to alleviate our worries for the nightmares, to believe something can help with the nightmares. It does a lot to help mentally. It's like, yeah, story a woman shared with me. She said she gave her her son a dream catcher, but he was kind of upset about the fact that dreams were all caught up in there. So I suggested maybe we go out and shake it out every morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, maybe it needs to be cleansed. It needs to be clean cleansing. Yes, yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna buy one from my dog because my dog, I feel like, dreams a lot. He's like on the floor there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's probably chasing a rabbit or round for the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like, see dogs dream too, both of them?
Speaker 2: They do? They do?
Speaker 1: Ye? So are there benefits to dreaming? Do they help us at all? When we're awake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a lot of consensus that there's still a lot of debate in the scientific community about a lot to do with dreams, but at this point quite a bit of consensus around the fact that we're getting some really important benefits from the dream time even if we don't do anything with them, even if we're not remembering them, they're doing a lot to really help us regulate. They are like an overnight therapy. Have you ever gone to bed just not sure how you're going to handle tomorrow, and then you wake up it's just a little muted, not nearly as feeling as intense. That's not just time that went by. That's the work of the dream life. That's helping you up level your capacity to deal with life. And then they're doing a lot to integrate the learning and memory from the day. If you're lacking in sleep, you're gonna be lacking in dreams. It's gonna be harder to remember what you were learning yesterday and really work with that. But they're really good at also helping us come up with creative solutions to problems. So sometimes you may go to bed with a problem and wake up with an answer. A solution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that true for sure. Absolutely, I don't know what I dreamt at all, Like I don't. I feel like I didn't have I didn't dream at all. But then I do wake up and I'm like, I'm not as stressed out as I was yesterday. Oh it's not that bad. Here's here's the answer to that.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Sleep on it is very sage advice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sleep on it. Yep, that's okay, you're right. Usually my sister she's huge on like, oh if I had a dream and I saw this, like she really really believes that it's like a sign from God, and she'll usually Google sometimes it kind of like there's so many different answers that I'm like, which one do I even believe?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe none of them until you go inward with it. My first way of trying to work with dreams now, there were no Google searches. Way back when I was first starting thirty years ago. I would have been all over Google about it, I'm sure, and I instead found what we're called dream dictionaries. Have you ever seen one of these? It's like a book that essentially does the same thing. You look up a symbol. This is what it means you look up a theme. This is what it means more art Not really, No, I thought, brilliant, someone knows what all this is. Well, here's the thing. It gives you a really good understanding that dreams come from a very different type of languaging. It's more of a right brain story language. So thinking about your wrecking ball dream that didn't look anything like waking life, you could wake up and say, nothing to do with my waking life. But metaphorically, symbolically, emotionally, it was based on some true story going on with you. But it's throwing you into a metaphor about it, an analogy of it, so that you can integrate that story into your greater sense of self in a wonderful way. So dreams are not working left brain rational linear and dream dictionaries Google searches can teach us about how to consider the metaphor consider the idea the dream is sharing. But when we really want to understand why did I have this dream at this moment, it's so important that the dreamer start within, like what am I feeling in that dream? What am I thinking in that dream? Is usually your number one clue what's triggering this dream? And sometimes we look outside of ourselves assume some great dream knower knows what my dream means. When I stopped trying to look outside myself and assume someone else could tell me what my dream meant and realize this is inner work. I've got to learn how to do. And yeah, there's techniques and there's tips for how, but it still means I have to be along for the right. Someone outside of me cannot blindly know what my dream means.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's always inward, definitely with everything, with a lot of things. And I've learned that later in my life. But yeah, because I mean you Google even oh I feel this in my back and you just start diagnosing and Google just further confuses you.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and a lot of different possibil answers. Oh you know, a good dream dictionary, good good Google search is going to give you it could be this, or it could be that, or could be this, And they're like, okay, what is it. We'll go inward. Rumy had a great quote, he said, and sometimes you are looking among the branches for what only appears in the roots. And I love that bad idea.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I love that. Yes, So okay, now that we're you know, talking about this, I do want to ask you. My husband just had a dream, a nightmare actually, a couple of nights ago, and he just said, oh my god, it was horrible, felt so real. So basically he got shot in his Did anything bad happen or just got shotted? Oh my god? No, okay, So he just told me that he got shot and that he was in the hospital and he died. Oh my gosh. And in the Latin culture they say bring light to the dream, so it doesn't come true. So I'm saying it out loud so everyone can here, because I don't want it to come true. God, good for you. But yes, but but what do you I mean, what can you? So?
Speaker 2: I mean dreams generally speaking, media has perpetuated a lot of fear and superstition and fortune telling ideas around dreams. And first of all, cheese. I'm not going to say dreams can never have warnings or information that we can say, Okay, if this were or could happen, is there anything I could or should do? And yet it's usually nothing rational, nothing linear. It's more I'm working through a story. I'm going through I, for whatever it's worth, have died multiple times in my dreams.
Speaker 1: And it's so many times you've been what, I feel like I've fallen. I'm literally asleep and I feel like I'm falling or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very common. We can circle back to that. But yeah, that's that's a terrible dream to wake up from. Right when you're you've been shot, you're in the hospital. Uh. And I would say, the best way to start to work with that dream is, Okay, while I was in the dream, what was what was really going on for me emotionally? What was I thinking? Because oftentimes our dreams, like I said, are working with an emotional story or process scene and looking at the dream close to when we had it is a great timing because you kind of know what was going on yesterday, the day before. Where, if anywhere, in my waking life do I understand this emotionality. But dreams exaggerate because they're trying to up level us. So it's like, well, I don't, I don't really feel like I'm going to die, And yet in waking life we often say things like, oh my gosh, this is going to kill me. I don't know how to you know, face this, But getting shot is a very interesting metaphor, right, like some like it would be interesting to know where did he get shot? How did he get shot?
Speaker 1: You know, Okay, yeah, it's probably Also I've noticed that if like you're thinking of something or worried about something a lot, then you know and it makes sense. I mean that's what I thought, That's what I made out of it. I'm like, Okay, that's not going to happen. You are taking care of We were protected. I think it's just he was out of town and he worries about me being home alone, and I don't know, maybe.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's send let's send very healing, wonderful light all around. What's your husband's name? Amelio is going to be safe and sound. But it would be really interesting for him too if he wanted to kind of understand, well, why would I have such a dream. His next steps would really be to kind of reconnect with while I was in the dream, what was I thinking, what was I feeling, and then really look at what was just happening and where that emotionality resides and any other elements of the dream. But yeah, dreams like that, we are like, oh what does that mean? And very often it's just a direct reflection of something that we just did. Feel like this hit me, this, this got me this, you know. And the thing about death in dreams is so often it's this. You know, if you think of have you ever had a tarot reading, yes, yes, and the death card comes up, you might be like, oh, you know, but really it's a transformation card. It's a it's a card about letting an aspect of self die or a way of being die so that we can emerge anew. And death and dreams are so often related to this moment where something has to be completely like you know, transformed, or we just did have something where we have to completely let that die so we can kind of renew, so.
Speaker 1: Like die to self.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really a release in transformation kind of experience. And most of the people I've worked with, when they've had a death dream, there's usually is something that they just had to really come to an awareness I've got to let this go, I've got to move beyond this, I've got to let this die off kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: So what about lucid dreams. I know you talk about lucidness.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been in dreams and you know you're dreaming yes. Yeah. Have you ever been for a while in a dream and know your dream or do you just tend to wake up.
Speaker 1: I've had dreams where I'm in the dream and I'm hoping and praying, I hope this is a dream, please don't let this be real, and then you wake up and you're like, oh, thank god, it's not real.
Speaker 2: Sort of feel okay, so you kind of have a sense this could be a dream. Let's hope it's a dream.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I've never really been, I think, in a dream dreaming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. That's what scientists back in the seventies were trying to originally prove this is possible, that you can be in a dream and aware you're dreaming. And a lot of the scientific community was saying, no, that's not possible, you're just dreaming, you're dreaming. But they did scientifically end up proving this, and there's a lot of science now around lucid dreaming. Even having two way dialogue with dreamers at this point through eye signals and things like that quite fascinating. So when you're in a dream and you suddenly are aware, oh, this is a dream, you did just click into a new type of dream awareness. Before you were kind of lost to the dream. You didn't have your prefrontal cortex clicked on, which is that a rationing, reasoning, linear thinking self. But sometimes you're asleep and in a dream and that can click on, usually by something that shocks you or surprises you, and it gets that fact checker like boom, wait a minute. Now. Some people really have this skill, and I a long time ago really worked to gain this skill for myself because I wanted to see, could really anyone do this? But we can sustain that, we can stay in the dream while or where we're in a dream and actually interact with the dream and co create from within the dream and have spiritual connection in the dream. It's quite a fascinating thing. And a lot of people these days are very interested in connecting with their dream realm in this very interesting way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I well, my mom passed away twelve years ago. Yeah, I've drempt with her three times, maybe three times, And I think and people when people ask me, like when I'm doing interviews there, they asked me, have you dreamt your mom or when her anniversary is gonna come around? And I think the few times that I did dream with her. They felt so real that when I woke up, I'd be really sad for like the next three days, or it would just really take a toll on me on my emotional state. So I think, well, maybe she doesn't like to come visit me as much because she knows it really affects me. Now I'm like, Mom, it's been years. I want to see you, I want to hug you. And I'm like, she's just probably busy, you know what I want to think.
Speaker 2: So it's an amazing thing to have a spiritual connection of that type in the dream realm, and it does show us that you know, a person has never gone in our heart and that we do have that ability to still connect. And was your sadness because it was just bringing back your loss and you just had this moment and you know, kind of why can't I have more of that?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it was more of only in one dream she gave me a hug and she looked just so beautiful. It was crazy. Other than that, the other two were business as usual. You know. It was okay, the kids, the house, and I mean, nothing really specific, but it was always that, you know, we're taking care of business. Sort of thing, and I thought, Okay, yea, even though she's gone or she's in, she's graduated is what we like to call it. She's still we're still getting things done. We're still a power team, I guess. But I still would get sad, you know, I'm like, I miss her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, of course. So it's beautiful we still get to have that experience and we can encourage it to show up. I am a firm believer that spirit can pierce the dream realm. I also know that sometimes if I have a deceased level one comes through my dream, I've had a spiritual connection. Oftentimes, like your amazing hug, that's such a moment with spirit. Other times we have dreams where so one we love who has passed is in the dream, but they're just kind of part of the dream with us in the dream. And don't underestimate this. Sometimes our dream mind may actually pull in our version of our mom, or our uncle or our grandmother if right now we need aspects of that person in the dream to work through what we're going through. So just like when you wake up and you have a buddy, a good friend who showed up in your dream, you might be Oh, you were in my dream, but you kind of know it wasn't really them. I think dreams can utilize our ideas of even someone who's passed in the dream when we're dealing with trades, personalities, characteristics that the dream needs to work with that we equate to them. But that hug, that wonderful hug, such a perfect example of when spirit enters into our dream realm. It's so often this amazing moment of true connection. And if you want to have that connection more, it does start with remember dreams. Because here's the thing, chick, is, you may be having more of those dreams and you just don't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe she doesn't come visit me because I get a lot of ideas, a lot you're.
Speaker 2: Forgetting a lot of them. It's possible those connections are there even when you don't remember them. But put her picture by your nightstand or journal about you know, your desire to see her or pray or connect with her in some way before you go to sleep, and say, hey, visit me, and you might be surprised.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I think it's probably should be something like what when I'm praying at night and just say hey, mom, I'd like to see you. It's been it's been some time. It's been like a good five six years, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And to your point, if if there's an awareness that this is overwhelming for you or leads to some sadness, well no, you know, she wouldn't want you to have the sadness. But you know, if you've ever sat down with a medium, usually the first thing they do is invite spirit in. And sometimes we just need to invite spirit in.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, maybe I think maybe emotionally, subconsciously, I was kind of just, oh, it's going to hurt sort of thing. But now I'm ready. I feel stronger, So I definitely want to see her. I want to know what she's up to, you know. Yeah. Yeah, And then we have those dreams. I don't know if this has ever happened to you or to anyone that's listening, but I've had those dreams when I'm fighting and I and I'm throwing punches and I just it's so frustrating because I can't hit them. I'm like, what does that mean? I'm like, am I just just releasing frustration? I guess retention I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah, when was the last time you think you had.
Speaker 1: That dream, Oh that was years ago. That was okay, I want to say, I don't know, good seven years ago. Probably it's been a while she had an angry dream like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean probably around seven years ago you moved through something that made that dream no longer like you no longer need a dad dream at that point. But up into that point, so while you would be in that dream, it would be frustrating. You're trying to connect a punch or make an impact. Your goal was what to fight them off or hurt them? What was your goal?
Speaker 1: Usually I don't remember, to be honest, but it was it was just we were arguing and I don't even know if it was a girl or a guy. Yeah, I was just hitting and I couldn't reach a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, So yeah, that's that frustration. I can't I can't connect, I can't you know, I can't. I can't make the impact I want to make here. You know, it's kind of what seems to be happening in a dream like that. And so there might have been a frustration during a certain period of your life while you had that dream a lot where you were really frustrated at trying to make some sort of connection, make an impact, or fend something off that you just didn't have quite the ability to make that that that hit.
Speaker 1: Yep. Absolutely. If it was about seven years ago, I want to say, I know exactly where I was in my personal life and in my career, and I was very frustrated. Yep, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And so here's the thing. The beautiful thing about those dreams at that time is we do have to stifle a lot of how we feel in our waking life just to be normal human beings and deal with society. Like you can't actually out of your frustration go flailing around hitting at people, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now in our dream life, however, we do get this wonderful opportunity to truly get it out. And that's healthy. I mean, there is an equilibrium that we're getting when there is, at least at a soul level, the capacity to flail, to scream, to fight. And yeah, we don't like that dream perhaps, but know that even in the ability to really try, and we weren't made in the connection, which was you know, part of the symbolism, the metaphor of you know, you can take consciousness and say, okay, how do I better make this, you know, happen. But even from within a dream, you let loose of some steam that really needed to get let loose of. So yay for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're right. There's always something positive. See. I like you, Leah. I like you because that's the way I like to think. I'm like you know, there always has to be something beautiful or something positive. You can pull out of every situation, even a dream, because yeah I can't. You're right. As much as I'd like to slap a few people, I should not do that in your dreams.
Speaker 2: You can get away with that. And here's the thing. Every one of your dreams, whether you call it bad, whether you call it sad, whether you you know, they're all have a purpose to help you be more balanced, more whole, more emotionally grounded, more able to cope. And so that's where I come back to those negative dreams, which we may like, there's something in there for us to learn from always, and even if we don't learn the lesson of the dream consciously, usually the dream in and of itself did some work that is helping us.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, I love that. And is there anything that you recommend for better sleep? For having more joyful dream Should I say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, everyone wants that flying up above the clouds, happy, blissful and free dream.
Speaker 1: In my own utopia.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the dream I want. So here's the thing. Dreams are going to, by nature, flag and prioritize the thing we've placed the most importance and emotion on, and they have really important work to do so, especially if there's things in our life we just you know, have to like I can't deal with that right now. I can't. But there's a part of us bothered or frustrated or sad or lonely or mad or stressed. The dreams are going to try to up level and confront and consolidate and integrate that. And on some level we actually need our dreams to be doing that, so they can be a good reflection that I have something that wants me to better up level or work through. And the more we were willing to look at those dreams and consider them and get support and doing so, the better we can move through them and not need them anymore. Just like your wrecking ball dream, you don't need that dream no more. Yeah, if you were still having that dream, you wouldn't have yet figured out how to handle those life circumstances. So when all is said and done, though, when we go to sleep, we are going into the night of sleep with certain things most recently on our mind. And the more peace and harmony we're bringing into the night of sleep, certainly, the sweeter we are probably set up our dream life to be. Some of us go to bed watching what I like to coin as murder, death, kill shows.
Speaker 1: That was me. I would always follow the Super Forensic Files.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my husband was so addicted to that show and he was having all these terrible I was like, well, maybe we need to, like wean you off right before bed watching a bunch of things about murder and death. So the thing that we go to bed with just last on our mind. Or if you're like binge watching some kind of serial killer show, of course, you know, the more you're caught up in that, the more that's lingering with you too, and your your Dreamlind doesn't really differentiate between the emotions I have about some media I'm taking in and my true like life. So before we go to bed, we should do a little ritual, even if it's just for a few minutes, to come back to a sense of spiritual wholeness and wellness. For those of us who pray, that's a great time to do that. For those of us who don't pray, just anything that connects you with your spiritual sense of self that takes you to a place of feeling whole and happy, visualizing how perfect tomorrow could go. It would be a great way to end your day. Journal about the things that are important to you on your mind. Maybe even send a request off to your Dreamlind dreams, help me solve this, help me figure this out, and feel like you're handing it off for the night. But the more we go to bed with a sense of peace and harmony, the more we're going to set ourselves up for a more sweet night of sleep. And then in general, the more we're able to learn how to handle the and cope with the stressors we have in our life, the less our dreams are going to need to tackle that for us.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I've definitely learned that if I want to see my mom, I should invite her in yes, right before I go to sleep. What has helped me personally is sleep music. I love sleep music. I try not to watch anything scarier Forensic files for a while now my husband and I try to at least just okay, it's time to go to sleep. Let's put to sleep music right after our show, because yeah, I think I don't know where we read it, but it's very important, like the last thirty or sixty minutes before going to sleep, like what you just said, making sure that you're feeding your soul in your brain something nice and positive so that you don't have bad dreams and have a good night's rest.
Speaker 2: So, yes, we tend to just crash into the bed, versus have a intentional way of sending ourselves off to sleep. And I always encourage you, we adults, we need to talk into you know, we need a ritual this as let's feel cozy and comforted and tell ourselves a good story before bed.
Speaker 1: You know, yes, yes, and see you guys. I always say that word lea. I always a intentional. I feel like you have to be intentional in everything in life. So there it is. You were meant to be on this podcast. I see it almost every episode. But okay, so you do give consultations on your website, right? Can you please let people know where they can find you and how they can connect with you. Yes, your social media perfect.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, if anyone's ever in Arizona and go into Mirravel Resort, just such an amazing place to spend time for the spirit, for the soul, for you know, no matter what, you're into their stuff there. I do workshops, lectures, private sessions there at Merrival, but also I do a lot of private coaching for dreamwork as well as sleep wellness via zoom or phone for people who aren't in Arizona or Tucson. My website is Leah l e A H. Bolan b like Boyo, l like Laura E n like Nancy Leahboland dot com. And I also have a podcast all about dream work. So if someone wants to learn more about my kind of techniques for working with dreams, they can go to dream Interpretation Station, which is anywhere you listen to podcasts, or you can go to dream Interpretationstation dot com.
Speaker 1: I love that you are so sweet. I've been pronouncing your name wrong the entire time and you haven't told me.
Speaker 2: Oh, I go by Leya all the time.
Speaker 1: Okay, go Leah or Leah Leah or.
Speaker 2: I always if it's not remembering my name, I'll tell them just remember Princess Leah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Princess Leah, and that's what I was thinking of the whole time. There you go. Okay, awesome, Oh my goodness. So you're in Arizona. I love Sedona, Arizona. I went there a while ago by myself. It was years ago. I took a drive out there. It was amazing. How far are you from Sadonah.
Speaker 2: So Sedona, that's gonna be about you talking the three and a half four hours.
Speaker 1: Away, Okay, but still it'll be worth it. I can maybe go there and then go visit you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you would love Miravalta. It's really one of those destinations spa settings where it's not just a spa, but it's got just so many programs for whatever someone's interested in, but people really go there to restore their well being.
Speaker 1: I love that. I think I definitely need that in the beginning of the year. So I might just be hitting you up so you can give me some some places to visit and all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: It sounds great. I so enjoyed spending time with you.
Speaker 1: Likewise, Leah, Leah, I love them both. Thank you so much. I appreciate your time. I learned a lot and I think yes, guys, I think it's important to just shed light on everything. There's always something positive and beautiful that you can pull out of everything, and something we can learn from everything, especially and more dreams as well. So thank you so much for your time. I appreciate Oh, thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm wishing you and all your listeners the sweetest your dreams.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. I appreciate that. And I'll keep you updated on if my mom comes back into my dreams. Yay.
Speaker 2: I would love to know.
Speaker 1: All right, awesome, Thank you guys, thank you for listening. You know I love you. I appreciate you. And this is a podcast where you come to learn and to grow and to become the best version of yourself. Cheeky's and Chill. Do you need advice on love, relationships, health emails? I'm so excited to share with you that my Cheekies and Chill podcast will have an extra episode drop each week. I'll be answering all your questions. Just leave me a voice message. All you have to do is go to speak pipe dot com, slash Cheeky's and Chill podcasts and record your questions. I can't wait to hear from you. This is a production of iHeartRadio and the Micaela podcast Network. Follow us on Instagram at Michael Doura Podcasts and follow me Cheeky's That's c h I t U I s. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite podcast