Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: There a quick note before we start. Most of you love listening to ads. I know that, But if you don't, here's an option. Subscribe to True Crime Clubhouse on Apple Podcasts. You'll get ten episodes of Empire on Blood the Director's Cut ad free and one week early with exclusive bonus content. And it's a mere two ninety nine a month previously on Empire on Blood.
Speaker 3: These Days Full names of the record, My name is Calvin or are you okayme out? I'm back.
Speaker 4: When you looked at him, did you recognize him? Yes?
Speaker 3: And who did you see the way.
Speaker 5: Therefore, discord grants to the defender's motion and hereby vacates the conviction.
Speaker 6: All right, cow, you did it. You did it.
Speaker 5: You are the most persistent motherfucker.
Speaker 4: And oh good lord.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So cal called me last night to ask oh he did yeah?
Speaker 1: His uh.
Speaker 2: He's not left his cell in the forty eight hours, and he's turning.
Speaker 4: Francis was supposed to not.
Speaker 2: Risk any any possible problem. He's just packing himself up, sitting in his cell and just waiting. Yeah, he says, I'm staying away from everybody, about talking to anybody. I asked him how it felt to be in there and he just said he was so anxious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how do you sleep?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Do you think he has even slept?
Speaker 2: That's me in one of Calvin Buari's attorneys, Oscar Michelin, early morning of Monday May eighth, twenty and seventeen, the day Calvin is supposed to be released after twenty two years in prison. This passed for a judge in the Bronx vacated his double homicide conviction as if it never happened. Cal is free to walk out of prison. The judge said so, but paperwork that takes time. So the Department of Corrections took him back to prison for the weekend. And then in Oscar's car, the phone rings. It's Cal's friend.
Speaker 4: She yes, they say, he's not going nowhere.
Speaker 2: The judge may have let cal go, but maybe his past won't.
Speaker 7: Why that was a sergeant because they thought I was on a visit.
Speaker 5: I was like, no, I'm trying to see us the process. And so he looks on the paper and he was like, yeah, he's here, He's not going away.
Speaker 2: Why is that?
Speaker 5: He's not giving me the information.
Speaker 2: So here we are in a moment between what should be and what is We've gotten to know moments like this pretty well from Orbit Media. This is Empire on Blood, a story of murder, betrayal and a man who fought the law for two decades and of a question when is a man truly free? I'm Steve Fishman. We're sitting in Oscar's car in front of the ironically named green Haven Correctional Facility. Haven. My ass it's got a thirty foot high window is cement wall around it. We pull up shortly after ten am after a two hour ride from the city. What's going on inside green Haven? Who knows?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Hi, my name is Oscar Mitchell. I'm gonna turn it for Kalabowari.
Speaker 6: The issue is that we were Yeah, he was supposed to be released today and I want to just double check to make sure that everything is all set for his release.
Speaker 2: He got his conviction.
Speaker 5: To Oscar Michelin and you attorney.
Speaker 2: I am cal Bui's attorney.
Speaker 1: Yes, concerned?
Speaker 5: And why you would think he's leaving this week.
Speaker 2: Because he was?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry?
Speaker 5: Can I have remotely close to his day?
Speaker 2: What is to be done? We're here, Let's go inside, try to get this straightened out.
Speaker 3: Oh so, just have a seat distreevisits inside.
Speaker 2: Do you know when a prisoners released, he would he come this way?
Speaker 4: This is the only way they could go.
Speaker 2: We see ourselves in a gloomy area what passes for a waiting month A few feet away. Corrections officers, process visitors, A handful of us are here. Cal's lawyers, a few relatives. His god brother, Pam is not here. She and Cal are still legally married, but they've grown apart. Cal friend, she drove up from Westchester. She's his main support now. There are also a couple of journalists from the Associated Press. Cal will be let go. A judge ordered his release. It's unconstitutional to hold him in prison, after all, he's no longer convicted of anything, but the anxiety it won't quit. Cal calls me from inside, maybe one hundred feet from him, but several tons of cement and steel separate us. It's ten forty six a m cow, cow, How are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I'm all right. I'm afraid to get up out of his You know what's going to.
Speaker 8: Hold up is?
Speaker 2: I don't where are you now?
Speaker 4: Are you?
Speaker 2: Are they telling you you're getting outton?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: There ain't nobody even come and tell me anything. And I'm talking to people. Everybody know that I'm supposed to get out, but nobody ain't come to tell me it's time to go.
Speaker 2: The hours pass one, two, three. Finally the paperwork lands on the right desk, eyes dotted, tea's crossed. It's not every day someone's conviction is vacated. Then Cal appears in the distance, maybe fifty feet away. I can see his nit cap through the bars of the steel gate for one more minute. He looks like he's inside a cage. Then the gate slides open.
Speaker 3: You see you.
Speaker 2: Cal walks out in khaki pants, timberlands, toting a single canvas bag stuffed with the essentials from two decades behind bars, legal documents I find out later, go, oh my god.
Speaker 9: Daddy came out said, where's everybody? As you're gonna praise that you can't do the.
Speaker 1: Photography, thank you, and if you want to conduct an interview and.
Speaker 3: Asking the property, let's go.
Speaker 2: We go out double swinging doors, leaving the guard tower behind us and the thirty foot high cement wall. We go down two sets of stairs into a parking lot that spreads over a couple of acres.
Speaker 10: Surreal, surreal, man, Oh.
Speaker 7: My god, Oh no, we got a bus ticket for you.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna drive. You gotta take a great house. I'm sorry we couldn't.
Speaker 3: We couldn't afford it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry about yeah, but it's a good man. You could see right by the driver.
Speaker 3: A call right now.
Speaker 11: People don't know, you know, it's like anxiety.
Speaker 10: It's beautiful, man. I never seen this side without the handcuffing on. That's the beautiful thing about it, you know, no handcuffs, no shocks. Finally, man, oh, long time coming.
Speaker 3: Couldn't come at a better time.
Speaker 7: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Right. Cal hugs his god brother, he hugs me. He's muscular, prison muscles. It's a powerful embrace. You did it. The prison authorities insist that we leave state property. They don't have to ask. Twice. We trooped through the parking lot, a small horde, making our way to the shoulder of the road. The Associated press hands cow a microphone.
Speaker 10: That's what it really.
Speaker 1: It's just like I work so hard to get to where I'm at right now, and I finally made it the long journey that I took to get to where I'm at, and it's still a continuous fight, you know, because still dealing with the issues that are launcht the a office not really worn until mix to their mistakes and doing the right thing.
Speaker 4: I gotta keep my mind and keep.
Speaker 2: Pushing Cows on message, hitting his talk point, staying focused. Of course, he's right. The District Attorney's office has threatened to appeal the decision that set him free. He knows there might be more coming. And I feel like the truth is finally revealing it, so, you know, thank you. Cal hands back the microphone. She pulls up the getaway car. My producer Emil, and I jump in with Cal.
Speaker 9: Okay, see where are we going?
Speaker 2: Well, we want We're gonna ride with you wherever.
Speaker 4: The change station station.
Speaker 2: What's Cal? Looking forward to an iPhone and a bath his first bath in twenty two years.
Speaker 10: That's that's that's one of sleeping in the bed and probably getting in the bathtube and then going into a refrigerator.
Speaker 3: What I want to to get out? What I want to get out.
Speaker 2: Of such things? Freedom is made. Cow's walked off prison grounds. But what does it take to feel free? Cal knows what I mean from prison. He told me, I just can't wait to get in a situation where I'm around the people that truly genuinely love me, so I can just be me truthfully, just be free. And so Cal he wants to see his.
Speaker 10: Mom, and I'm an knock on the door, let him have a come downstairs.
Speaker 3: Once she over the door, is gonna be me happy. Mother's dak. You got an early mother's taken.
Speaker 2: But first, Cow's got some errands to run. After the break, a free man heads out into the world with a long to do list and finds more than he bargained for. Stay with us outside, we're back with Empire on blood. So when does an ex prisoner actually shake prison out of his bones? I asked Emil mcdalell, Cal's prison buddy, who got his own sentence vacated email served nineteen years.
Speaker 12: When the judge vegacated my conviction, it was like a surreal experience.
Speaker 2: You really can't believe it.
Speaker 12: Cal is not going to believe that he's really out until he actually steps his foot on concrete and he's able to walk in a store with dollars in his pocket.
Speaker 2: That's how it was for me.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they said, you know you're out, You're going home, and I'm just still sitting there looking at the judge, and I'm just like, Okay, I'm going home. I'll be home with my family for Christmas. You know, I could be home for my birthday finally after nineteen years.
Speaker 9: But.
Speaker 12: Until I got out, and you know, my cousin gave me like one hundred dollars but in twenties and tens. He gave it to me, and I actually jumped out of his car, went into the store and I was like, I'm out.
Speaker 2: So Email will put twenties and tens in Cal's pocket. He's going to take Cal shopping in Brooklyn for sneakers. Once upon a time, Cal had wanted air Jordan's. Twenty five years ago, he'd started selling crack so he could buy them. This time, his hardworking prison comrade says he'll pick up the tab. But Cal has a few other items to attend to, people, to visit, places to see. He's a man in a hurry.
Speaker 3: Open buzz me in, man, buzz me in.
Speaker 2: Email drives Cal to Tracy, Koit's apartment, coming to see trade.
Speaker 3: Where are you at.
Speaker 7: That count?
Speaker 2: Because you look alive and he was a mess. Tracy was for a time one of his main allies on the outside, a leading light of the Free count Lady that helps fixed all mambo said, man, you know me and home was going hard.
Speaker 10: She's the first one that picked up the bend of the Free Cow fan and waved it the round in the rallies stripped.
Speaker 3: Into t shows.
Speaker 2: You know, I assume Tracy might be celebrating Cow's release.
Speaker 3: You don't want thisake, right, No?
Speaker 2: I mean she's just hearing from Cal Now.
Speaker 9: Off the audio because I got let you let me miss that moment.
Speaker 2: You're walking out of Greenhaven. You ain't want me you let me missed out.
Speaker 3: You didn't know what Dale was coming.
Speaker 2: Now he was coming out until cal changes the subject like a natural born politician, he picks up Tracy's baby harmit This.
Speaker 4: Man, yes, yes, wood, gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Ray cal is smiling, loving on harmony the way. It seems to me that maybe Tracy had hoped to be treated me.
Speaker 4: Like you.
Speaker 2: You soon it's time to go. This has been something of a thank you visit to one of the soldiers in the Free Cow movement. One of the women they came for Cow but worked for the movement price of admission, said you.
Speaker 4: Always loved yourself some Calvin, But now now let Calvin go. You are not your free man. Now you should think of me every day.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he will. And that's another element of what it means to be free, free to play the field, to be a player. As Tracy says, I.
Speaker 3: Wanted to surprise you. No, that's not how it goes you. Lucky that I was it lucky. I'm blessed. I don't believe in love. I'm blessed. I gotta give him a golf definitely always.
Speaker 2: Fire store right there, good man, so cal visits a supporter. Okay, let's shop for some sneakers on a Sunday afternoon in Brooklyn. Email and cow head to the Atlantic. Mall, eh god, they they do a whole festival for your hold festival.
Speaker 10: They knew you was coming downtown for that's where everybody at Look at that, look at it.
Speaker 11: Look that's something.
Speaker 2: They spend hours going from shoe store to shoe store along the way, callent, email, running to people. They know what they're doing with that.
Speaker 1: I ain't.
Speaker 11: Now you know, I'm all filing for my wrong for conviction and all, oh good, I've been here about him doing good by.
Speaker 2: I tell you my old lady to you right now, I say my old lights.
Speaker 3: I did that.
Speaker 4: I did thirty three years straight.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yeah, thirty three years straight.
Speaker 5: You know, look in anyway, they ain't wait five years ago.
Speaker 2: Let this took from shopping.
Speaker 5: He just came.
Speaker 4: My nephew just came over last week.
Speaker 5: I just took him shop and bought him some clothes, guns, saying, man, some barbecue, and.
Speaker 2: Now I gotta cut out your stay safe. But anything to work out for you, all right, you take care right right later?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 10: Yeah, last time I was when I first met him. He cut the dude that tried to start man just being Pattica. Yeah yeah, yeah, that's how I first met him, and we ended up going to South Fort.
Speaker 4: He was never my next door neighbor.
Speaker 2: So it's good.
Speaker 10: I knew I was going run into somebody in downtown Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: Not just one somebody inside a shop. They bump into another guy from the old days. This one did nine years.
Speaker 3: I've been on being changed. Dramatic, dramatic. I'm talking. I remember how first Gale. I remember I went to Green Niggas mall.
Speaker 2: How I felt when I was giving the phone and you know what I mean, Like I was like, okay, how.
Speaker 3: Y'all doing stuff. I'm painting.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to see how you mighty rap, what's cool and what's not.
Speaker 3: I think I had some shoes on. It was like I thought they was flooding.
Speaker 4: It's not the lot.
Speaker 2: Two X cons on a Sunday shopping trip recognized another two X cons what the hell is going on at the mall. I'm accustomed to running into people, people I met at college or summer camp or over a cocktail at my bar. But this, this vast web of people linked by the shared experience of prison that's invisible to somebody like me. Of course, you read about it all the time, black men swept off the streets, crowded into prisons. And here's the evidence. Think of it. One afternoon outside Burlington Coat factory in Chucky Cheese. Four black men Email and Cal and the two others. These guys randomly meet and together they've done a total of eighty three years in prison. Yeah, Cow was a drug dealer, and maybe the too many ran into were criminals as well. Maybe they should have all done time. But I've made a seven year journey with Cal. I know his case inside and out, and I know emails too. The honor student sentence for a murder that someone else committed. The system feels rigged against people like Cal and email. People like Col people like Email. That's how the system viewed them as a type, the type of person society is better off without. And let's agree society was better off without crack dealing Cal on the streets in the theater of the early nineties, Cool Cal had a role to play, and he played it to perfection. He wore minks and drove BMW's rewards for seating a neighborhood with poison. Cal he high stepped through falling bodies and his admiring crew. They thought he was master of it all. They wanted to be just like Cal. Cal could have done other things with his life. He had the talent, but no one in authority looked at Cal and thought there's potential here, if only it could be redirected. That wasn't anyone's duty. Of course, Cal sometimes told me that if only his father had stuck around, his life might have looked different. Instead, for a pair of air Jordan's, which his mother couldn't afford and which a teenage cow desperately wanted, he turned to the streets and there was no turning back from.
Speaker 3: That ocause you gotta let me know.
Speaker 2: Cal and e. Mel ended up visiting a dozen stores in search of just the right sneakers. Cow finally selected a pair of sand colored Nike Hirachis retail price one hundred and twenty dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I almosnikus. It took almost all day.
Speaker 2: But other items on cows to do list lawyers, driver's license, housing, visiting HERVs of course, and catch up with people he left behind. At one point, Cow visits Jay, another ex con who'd been his best friend. They were shot together. There's a bond, and Cow visits Pam, still legally his wife. They reminisce, laugh, They share a few hours of conversation. As for the other friends from the Bronx, friends like Jmo or former crew members, callous staying away for the time, being too close to the days of murder in Mayhem, days he needs to put behind him. But me, I stay in touch with the old crew.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeahs, you will pass myself. He saw me, master be It's all he's on dr.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Dwight Robinson, What is Dwight going through now?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: I hear about it. His trouble his dramas. I send Dwight things like Sudoku books, which he tells me will prevent Alzheimer's and lottery tickets, which he says can earn us millions. Once he asked for a porn magazine. Sure, Dwight, why not? And as always, Dwight wants news from the outside to keep his mind free. Lately he wants to know what outfits cal is wearing now that he's out. Is he wearing a rolex? Mostly though we talk about prison nonsense, nonsense, that's the word Dwight uses. There always seems to be some craziness happening, some of it of Dwight's own making, and that craziness it's compounded by living out his days in an institution where a body can't be free.
Speaker 5: See I write this information out.
Speaker 2: Seem to see.
Speaker 5: It right, Special Investigator Donkey, okay, all right, tell him that right now. See that my life is in danger with these officers here, and I would like to see somebody as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: Dwight says. The officers are angry at him over the incident, his plan to pick a fight with an inmate. He says it's sided with the guards. Okay, I am you sure you should do that?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: You could just I thought about every more is the best move plus plus plus. Once I beat them up, they're gonna separate us. I'm only gonna be locked up for like thirty days. I'm just gonna beat them up.
Speaker 2: I really don't want to hear this. I do my best not to get pulled into Dwight's nonsense, but I'm thinking Dwight could get hurt. I can't not be involved. But mostly I think, how well do I really know? Dwight's a really nervous man. I just really know.
Speaker 5: Relast man. Look Steeve, Steeve, you know how we grew up really so you know what I mean different? We were a different breed. Yeah, you know that. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 5: We're a complete different breathing. Yeah, you got from a different cloth, yeare? That's that's that's listen everything on one God for the best one you are. Don't worry about nothing, you know. I mean, I think how a company has trust me?
Speaker 2: Trust me? For the record, Dwight doesn't beat up anyone. We spoke on a recorded line. Dwight told me the authorities tuned into our conversation and then search the inmating question establish control and prison. Of course, it's all about control. Control is all encompassing. Nothing is private, not one movement, not a single article of clothing. I send Dwight a Christmas present, some timberland chuckus his dream footwear of many years. Prison officials. They return the shoes to me. The reason it's complicated. Dwight is furious in his way. Dwight is relentless too, and hopeful. On the phone. He tells me he's got a plan. He'll figure it out. He assures me he will get his sneakers. Dwight's first shot at parole is in less than four years. I wonder if Cal's appeal will affect Dwight's chances. The judge as much as said that the DA should look hard at Dwight as a murder suspect. So far, though the DA has made it clear for them, the bigger picture is still Cal, and so Dwight is hopeful on that score. Two, he dreams of freedom after the break. Cal, now outside prison's control, gets to be himself truly deeply. Finally, stay with us. We're back with empire on blood back to the day Cow was released when we rode with him in the getaway car. At last Greenhaven Correctional was just a dot in the rear view mirror. He had a lot on his mind that day. One thing above all that won a video and take one go and see my motto? Oh yeah, what are you going to see her?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You want me to see if I can get a videographers come along?
Speaker 2: Would Yeah that would be a nice gift.
Speaker 3: I think I think you'd be all for it. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: That's day ticonic State Party.
Speaker 2: Since I first spoke with Col back in twenty eleven, lots has happened in my life. I've gotten divorced and remarried, opened a bar, one of my kids became a teenager. Much of Cal's life, his interior life, especially, has been on hold in prison. That's the way it is. And I've only known Cal while he's been in What is Cal like when he's truly free? Maybe I'll find out his mother lives in Maryland now she is driving Cow there. He's had trouble getting a driver's license.
Speaker 8: I left.
Speaker 4: Hear right, Okay, we're going forty four?
Speaker 3: God can go on up?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: He said.
Speaker 7: Forty three.
Speaker 2: Cal is in a car trying to spot the house, which he's never seen. He's wearing a special outfit for the day, raspberry colored sweater, gold chain, sunglasses, and the ever present cap, a tan one and for today's event, cool Cal has fastened a red bow to the front of that cap. And he's carrying presents too. He grips the string of a floating balloon, the words on it I Love You. In his other hand, he's got a dozen red roses wrapped in gold foil. I've never seen Col so full of anticipation and mischief. He wants to surprise his mother. He's actually tried to keep the news of his release from her. Didn't call her, told friends not to tell her.
Speaker 3: What su.
Speaker 2: Cal's mom lives in an attractive, well tended suburb, single family homes clipped front lawns. Hers is a white stucco house. Cal heads to the front door. She's iPhone in his hand. He calls his mother. He pretends he's not at her front door even as he bangs on the door.
Speaker 3: You know, I wanted to see her. What's up?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 4: Mar Eh?
Speaker 5: Who all saw?
Speaker 2: I'm all side, I'm all saw in New York.
Speaker 3: I'm in New York City.
Speaker 2: When Col's sneak attack fails, he heads around to the back of the house, goes through the gate of a chain link fence. There's a sign on it beware of dog. He walks into the house through an open back door. His brother heads upstairs to bring down their mom, who is still recuperating from surgery. And then there she is the object of all the fuss, a small, older woman with plane glasses in a flowery house dress. Col stands awkwardly in a kind of pass through between the kitchen and living room. That bouquet in his hand, that crazy bow on his farm.
Speaker 3: A head.
Speaker 2: Cow's brother is in the background, the videographer nearby. The spectators don't matter to Cows. It's like he's in a private space with his mom. He kisses her, grips her tight, Happy Mama's day.
Speaker 6: Mommy, your son is him. Your son is here, Mommy, your son is here. Huh, I'm here, Mom, I'm here. Mo, Mom here, you hear me, I'm here. Your son's chip. I'm here, Mom, your son is here.
Speaker 3: I'm near. President, I'm the president. I'm your president present.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: Everything's gonna be all right. Mam. You gotta be strong. You gotta be strong.
Speaker 8: Mom.
Speaker 3: You gotta believe, you gotta believe.
Speaker 4: I'm here.
Speaker 11: You know your son is always gonna be strong. I'm gonna be alright. I'm gonna keep fighting.
Speaker 7: Mom.
Speaker 11: If you don't raise nobody that's gonna give up. You know that we don't give up. You don't give up ever.
Speaker 3: I'm here.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna have your testament to that. What you raise, Mom, nobody said you know matter, I'm gonna take give up. Points were always gonna come out on top. Always know that, Mom, always always gonna come out the.
Speaker 3: Top because we got genuine hearts. It's always in a heart.
Speaker 7: Mom.
Speaker 11: You know that.
Speaker 7: You know that I love you.
Speaker 3: It's gonna get graying.
Speaker 2: Mom. Cal always told me that his mom is a silent warrior, never complaining, honest, upright religious, never disappointed in him despite everything he's done. She prayed for his release.
Speaker 3: Everybody sold me off leaving for dad. I'm here, your son is here. I'm in the flesh of a baby.
Speaker 4: I'm here.
Speaker 8: We all we got That's how you us, that's how, that's how, that's how you small well, all of them all of them, all of them have ever doubted us.
Speaker 3: All of them know that I'm here. I don't ever think that I ain't missed your cause. Not to do whatever I can to get to my mommy, to do whatever I can't get to my mom. I love you, Love you, mom.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Before or my father the IRV in my bar IRVS. Before he passed away, I asked him a question, a nosy pointed question. He'd been ailing for a while. His balance, his strength were failing him. He had bruises on his face from falling off a curb. My father died at age eighty six, the same age at which Myron Beldock passed away. By then, my dad was chair bound. Death can be a kind of freedom, but my father resisted. It sucks getting old, he told me. He hung on. My father wanted to live forever. One day I asked him why why was he so attached to living? He had an answer ready. I want to see how the story ends. This is the end of Empire on Blood, the end of the story. I'd assigned myself seven years ago, way before I knew how long it would take. But as my father certainly knew, the story doesn't end life goes on. I'm thinking of Cow's life and the turn it took. This story never seemed to go where I expected. Cow had decades in prison to anticipate freedom, to choreograph reunions and dream of future successes. Someday Cow may be worth millions. He sued the City of New York and will sue the state. He wants compensation for having lost more than two decades of his life, but he's not waiting around for a settlement that could take years if it comes at all. Remember, in prison, he'd written seven business plans. Success legitimate success was always going to be Cow's revenge. Sitting on a beach writing checks, Cal said that was his five year plan. A couple months after his release, Cal got his driver's license and started one Venture Riders van service riders with a Z. Somehow he'd managed to get hold of a fifteen seat Chevy van. He transports families and friends of inmates to prisons upstate. Some days, Cal gets up at four in the morning to pick up customers. Imagine this, Cal walks into the waiting room of green Haven Correctional Facility to drop off his business cards. This actually happens. Cal says the corrections officers remember him and smile. Cal assures me business is picking up. That's what Cal would say. He spent decades thinking positive thoughts in the face of ongoing disappointment and disappointments, Well, it seems they never cease. On November twenty ninth, twenty seventeen, an assistant bronx DA told a judge that the office will appeal the decision to vacate Cal's sentence. The office seems intent on bringing him back to trial and back to prison. The Cal I know is relentlessly fiercely positive, But the day of the DA's announcement, I received a text from him. He was he wrote, a little drained from the living. At times, I fear the fight has deformed Cal more than anything. He wanted to be with people who truly genuinely love him. Now he has troubled being with those people. She is in love with Cal and Cal. He tells me he loves her too. He calls her his partner. Still, She tells me that one minute they are so close close is one finger wrapped around another. The next Col flees his space. The intensity of intimate relationships can overwhelm him. The living can overwhelm him. As I record this, Cal is homeless. I never expected that landlords aren't receptive. Cal has no credit history, and on the internet he is still accused of a double homicide. And so Cal tells me he lives in his van, sleeping on one of the long seats in the rear. Using the bathroom at the local McDonald's. He washes up there too, brings his own toiletries and tow.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 2: Cal sounds desperate. I'm silent. I don't know how to respond, and then Cal, being Cal, recovers He assures me this too shall pass. On March twenty first, twenty eighteen, just as we were finishing production on this podcast, we got some news. At a hearing, one that had been scheduled months in advance. The Bronx District attorney shocked Cow's defense team. The DA moved to dismiss the two decade old indictment against Cal. A State Supreme Court judge granted the motion, and with that the legal cloud over Cal lifted. He is officially free. The director's cut of Empire on Blood is produced by Emil Klein. Austin Smith is our associate producer and production coordinator. The original production of the empowering Blood was also produced by Emil Klein. Neil Lobell was our executive producer, Julia Parton, our story editor, fact checking by Stephanie Daniels. Our advisor was Joel Dusk. Additional field reporting from Noah Shalom, mastering by Jason Gabrel, original scoring by Joel Saint Julian, and our theme song, The Lonely King is by mister Lynn. Special thanks to Andy Bowers, who championed the original production at Paniple. I'm Steve Fishman, Lucky Bill to.
Speaker 9: Blood, Leedsday King, The Birds, The Blurbs, Friendo and Old the last One.
Speaker 5: You hear this com com.
Speaker 2: Hi there before we go, You've just listened to another brilliant episode of Empire on Blood the Director's Cut. To hear episodes of this series one week early and ad free with exclusive content, subscribe to True Crime Clubhouse on Apple Podcasts. It's just two ninety nine a month.