Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. I'm that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Ado Steak? Is that? Ladies and gentlemen from Los Angeles, California, Dan Rubinstein, Let's it's the ducktail song. Let's all hit the woo hoo really hard before Tie comes out, because I want him to feel that in a very strange way. It's coming up here and there it is, okay, thank you. Here comes and now the Sultan of sound, the Monarch of microphones, the Emperor of m P three's, the boss of bandwidth, the Prince of free amps, Tie Hilden. This this is incredible time. I can't see where he's noticed the music. Yeah, I had to do that, Ty, How you doing it? I'm good? Wow, that's low. Okay, you can move it away. Okay. So what are we doing tonight? And who are we? We are the solid verbal? Thank you to everyone? Oh my god, somebody already went down. Is he okay? There's a lot of intensity in the room. The chair broke. Are you okay, sir? No, He's got a very like good center of gravity. Like he's a I'm this is great. Okay.
Speaker 2: All right, So, in case you did not hear our intro, my name is ty Hilda Brandt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my name is Dan Rubinstein, and we are the solid Verbal and we are we have a plan for tonight.
Speaker 2: We have a plan. Hello New York. Thank you for coming out here this evening. By a show of hands, how many people listen to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Regularly, Hey, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Okay, by standing room only, Ty, by a show of hands, how many people were dragged here against their will?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What Ryanny? Our wives are I like that?
Speaker 2: So our goal here this evening is to try and make it enjoyable for everybody. Thank you for coming out. And as Dan mentioned, we do have a plan. This is one of our favorite shows that we do every year. We decided it would be fun to actually try and do it live before an audience here at barbecue.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we're doing our fantasy things drafts, and our Fantasy things draft is very stupid. We will be drafting, and we have sound effects and we should have dressed up a little bit more, but we will be drafting storylines, narratives, fun things that we expect to happen during the college football season this fall, and we take it very seriously.
Speaker 2: So if you've ever done a fantasy football draft, you know that you pick players.
Speaker 1: We don't do that.
Speaker 2: What we're trying to do is give you a look at what might be coming down the pike this season, what some of the storylines might be that you should keep your eyes and ears peeled for. And we kind of pick our own teams, but instead of players, we have storylines.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: So what we've done over here, I don't know if everyone can see it. We have a whole slew of note cards, each of which signifies a storyline that we think could pop up this college football season. And we are going to take turns making our selections, putting our selections into this very official looking official team selection envelope playing a sound tailor are production.
Speaker 1: We have the sound and in the back there it is Yeah, he will be playing that sound and then we'll be unveiling our proverbial teams before we go on. Tie. Is that chair working out? So far? So good? All right? I love hearing it, so on that note should probably get started.
Speaker 2: I have a poker chip that was sent to us from a gentleman who works for the FBI. I don't know if that's true. This is one hundred percent tru weird. I don't know if I'm able to actually give out his name, so I won't.
Speaker 1: Okay. But on one side, we've got stripes. On the other, we've got solids. And I figured we just flipped this to figure out who goes first. Okay? Was he recently fired by the Just tell me that I don't ask questions? Okay, sure, I don't know. Did you take diligent notes?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll give you stripes, I'll take solids.
Speaker 1: Okay. I initially wanted to wrestle for the first pick, but what is it? Solids looks like? Come up? Okay? So I has the first pick in the drafts, which means you will be introducing me as the commissioner. Correct, that's right, that's right. Okay. So after ty introduces me as the commissioner of the twenty seventeen Fantasy Things Draft, I'm gonna need you to boo me lustily. I don't know what that's like, and we need to be accurate, So really go for it with the booze, Tye. Whenever you're ready, you have your pick. The pick is in. Okay, the pick is in, ladies and gentlemen, your commissioner, damn proven Steve. I'm gonna be honest. That was a goof and it's still hurt. It's still hurt. Okay. So with the first overall pick, damn it Ty has selected Chip Kelly Coaching Rumors. That's a really good pick. I had been negotiating with Chip Kelly Coaching Rumors. That's right, that's right, damn it.
Speaker 2: So for those of you who listen to the show and are familiar with our fantasy Things concept, which we've had for a couple of years running. Now, last year my big pick was Tom Herman coaching rumors. And as you know, there were a lot of rumors about Tom Herman all throughout the year until he eventually ended up at Texas. So when we put our heads together and started thinking, all right, what's going to be the hot in vogue coaching rumor this year, it has to be chip Kelly's with ESPN now, of course, recently departed from San Francisco, recently departed from the Eagles in college, there's still is a bit of an a lore, an appetite for chip Kelly went.
Speaker 1: Forty six and seven. I believe yes at Oregon that sounds right if memory Serves didn't end very well. But my question, and the.
Speaker 2: Question we've asked on our show for a couple months running now, is how many schools right now would fire their coach if they knew Chip Kelly would sound.
Speaker 1: A lot of coaches. The thing I like about this pick is it could cover just weird speculation on message boards because there are so many schools that think they can get Chip Kelly if they fire their coach. Cal thought they were going to get Chip Kelly, and Cal's adorable, they are, they weren't getting Chipped there.
Speaker 2: There's gonna be a post on a Texas tech message board right.
Speaker 1: Early October like, hey, what do you guys? What do you guys think? Yeah, he owns land in the area. He's like John Gruden right, owns a lot of land. Yeah, Chip Kelly's probably noted like one of two schools. And but that's good because scout dot com exists, I think twenty four sets, like all the message boards exist, and so the athletic exists. If you pay four ninety nine what is right? So rumors might be on there. We'll see I mean I somebody will so we love Nicole. I have the second overall pick. You do, Okay? I have made a selection. All right, we have so many cards up here, so do you want to give sure card? Ooh?
Speaker 2: With the second overall pick. In the twenty seventeen Solid Verbal Fantasy Things Draft, Dan Rubinstein has selected Josh Rosen's hot takes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Josh Rosen is outspoken. Does Josh Rosen love football? Who? I love this pick. It's going to last for a long time. So you know why, Well, when do we score the Fantasy Things draft? Because if he goes pro, we're gonna have months of nothing.
Speaker 2: But that The exciting part about our Fantasy Things again is that we have no defined scoring system. Right, we have no idea how this works the year prior.
Speaker 1: So let's say mid May mid May. Let's come mid May.
Speaker 2: Two years ago we decided that we would try and just to sign an arbitrary point value and that that would work.
Speaker 1: Well, we kind of lost interest about mide through. I got a people were accusing me of bullying you, but people really liked the show.
Speaker 2: And then last year, last year, we thought, hey, it's the offseason, we can get another show. Of just arguing who won, and that's when people thought that you bullied me. So I guess is coming here. I need to be a little bit more of a type A. I don't know, but here is why I'm a little critical of this pick.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm all about Josh Rosen and his hot takes. Everybody knows, and I'm down with that. Didn't you more recently tell him to put a sock in it? Come on, Tye, doesn't matter. Tell him it's not a good look, ty Josh Rosen is not going to let the man keep him down. Your first overall pick. To take that risk and say I like his hot takes. Hot takes. He just likes speaking.
Speaker 2: Knowing full well that he might not have them the full year through. That could be a bad bust of a pick.
Speaker 1: I feel great about it. I feel wonderful about it. I believe you're up again. Oh yeah, we're doing like Serpentine style here. Okay, you've got Josh Rosen. I'm wrecking this down here. Actually, okay, the pick is it? With the third overall pick? Yeah, twenty seventeen Soliverble Fantasy Things Draft. We're building for the future here, ty coaches arguing penalty, the new penalty in which coaches can get fifteen yard penalties for running out on the field, and arguing because I just love the idea of what will be the line, both physically and out loud. Tie in your opinion, Tyler, Jay? Is it Jay? It's James Tyler, James Eldibrick. What do you think is the word that will get the penalty? I know what the word is. I want to know. I mean, I'm this according to me, is f to mainstream. It's fine, it might, but like I think it has to be a combination of profanity in order to draw that flag. See, I think the magic word is horseshit. I think the magic word because it's the most coach angry word and Bill Snyder is gonna get so many of them. Yes, no, but I think it's gonna be spread across college football. I think at Espanation we drafted quarter of drafted coaches in a fantasy league, so a sub draft of coaches who will get this penalty. So I think this the seed is spread wide and I already regret phrasing it like that coach. Okay, it's another ballsy pick by Yeah, I gotta say, I feel this is I've also had half a beer.
Speaker 2: That that could be my my secret weapon here. Okay, I'm on the clock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the pick is in. Oh, we're feeling good. Pick with the something something fourth overall pick, let's go fourth, fourth overall. Bick Ty hilden Brand has selected a softer Brian Kelly. Softer, a softer, kinder, cuddlier. Nanny disapproves Brian Kelly.
Speaker 2: It's funny what four and eight will do to a man I'm right there with as a longtime Notre Dame fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and someone who obviously, just by virtue of doing our show, has followed Brian Kelly in his career very closely. This is at least the second time where we've seen a softer Brian Kelly after a tumultuous season. He does yoga.
Speaker 2: Now he does yoga and actually incredible. I pulled a quote here, kidding, I'm not making this up. This is from Sports Illustrated back in March. This is an actual quote from an article talking about a softer Brian Kelly. Quote in the back closet of his sprawling coaches office at Notre Dame, Kelly grabs an oversized black Lululemon yoga.
Speaker 1: Mat premium, premium.
Speaker 2: And unfurls it in the vacated space of his office.
Speaker 1: Who is a coach that you feel positive is more limber than Brian Kelly. It's say, probably around the same age too, so not like probably Mark D'Antonio. Mike Riley. Mike Riley is definitely more limber. Mike Riley can do things you can unsea.
Speaker 2: But so they're talking about yoga now, they're talking about Lulu Lemon yoga mats, and I gotta believe that this is the kind of thing that goes out the window after they lose their first two games and all of a sudden, it's gonna be a red face, the red faced Irishman is going to be back, and a softer Brian Kelly will probably go by the wayside. But I figure I get a good six, maybe seven weeks out of a softer Brian Kelly before I stop getting points all together for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm picturing the episode of The Simpsons where Flanders was spanked as a child so many times to repress all the anger. Not that somebody is spanking Brian Kelly. It's a mixed metaphor somebody might be spanking Brian. I don't know, but that it's all going to come out in the same way it did for Flanders in that episode where this is just pushing some bad things down and they're they're gonna it's gonna r a softer, A softer Brian Kelly. For what it's worth, this was Dan's idea, this item, and when I saw it, I quite literally spit juice out on my keyboard. What kind of juice are we talking about? Juicy juice? Juice? All right? Am I am? I up again? You've said that in such a strange way. My up again, You are up again? And I will use this opportunity. There's a microphone in front here. After we're done with the draft, we'll do a Q and A and priority will be given to anybody that starts their question with Hey, so my friend dated tie and she says, anybody that starts their question, that's priority. All right. The pick is in. See I'm getting all my top selection. That's fine. You gotta play catch up with the fifth overall pick. Ty hilden brandas selected Mike Gundhy's mullets. Tie was in on Mike Gundy's hair before anybody else, So fair it is. It's a dood alert. Yeah, yeah, So here is the story because Mike Mike Gundy's mullet.
Speaker 2: We've been doing the show since went in two thousand and eight, and I have this thing on the show with schools like Old Miss where I'm always a year or too early. I love all Man, love TCU, TC you will probably be outstanding this year. I'm always a year early. So when we first did the Fantasy Things draft, out of nowhere, I selected Mike Gundy's extraordinary hairline.
Speaker 1: That's what we called it, right, No one had any clue what that meant. You didn't have any idea what that meant. It was just a strange thing that you notice and the whole per like it was a new concept. We didn't really know what we were doing with this at all. And you were just like, yeah, I mean, he's got he's got a strong, very strong line. But did you think it was going to be mentioned during a game, like did you think Brent Musburger was gonna be like a stronghead of hair on that man?
Speaker 2: I just thought it was funny, all right. So we had an intro score recorded talking Mike Gundhy's hairlines, saying, quote, it's strong, it's kind, it's as reliable as the tides in an ever changing world. Mike Gundy's hairline stands tall against genetic disposition and never seeds control of Oklahoma State football. That was what we said back true, But no one talked about his hairline because why would they?
Speaker 1: May I ask you a follow up question, because you are bored aboard with the business in the front and the party in the back. Obviously because you were one year you had a business in the front, pick and now you have a party in the back. That's right, that's right. If you were hanging out with Mike Gundhy for whatever reason from a media perspective, from doing what we do. And he was like, Tie, I've heard through the grapevine that you really really like my hair and not just the mullet. Yeah, would you like to run your hands through my hair? I think I think that's a once in a life Would you say yes? I think you almost have to. Would you go front to back or back to front? Oh, I guess front to path. I don't have to go front to back. You gotta save the best for last. Anyway, Yeah, I picked this two years ago.
Speaker 2: It had no relevance, no connection to anything going on in college football.
Speaker 1: Everyone made fun of me.
Speaker 2: And then last year he grows a freaking mullet, and this year it's it's it's unkempt. It's even more unkempt than it was a year ago. And so I figure, what a better opportunity than now to get back in. He'll probably shave it week one, knowing my luck, but why not jump in again on the Mike Mike Gundy hair train and just see if we can ride it all season long.
Speaker 1: The Mike Gundy hair train just made that up. I don't like saying that out all right, I don't, mister Rubinstein, you are on the clock with his third pick. Did they bring the food out, by the way, is that good? Did the people get wings and giving thumbs up? Okay? So okay, just making sure.
Speaker 2: With his third pick in the twenty seventeen Cliburble fantas this pick, Dan Rubinstein selects Lane Kiffin.
Speaker 1: Controversy so easy. He's in Florida. Are we to believe that this is a gentleman? He's single. I've never been single in Florida, tie, but I've heard some stories. So Lane Kiffin's coaching again. The good dudes are getting fired. Lane Kiffin's in Florida.
Speaker 2: Kiffen is at Florida Atlantic. Suffice to say the most attention Florida Atlantic has gotten in quite some time.
Speaker 1: Sure, and he's single, is ready to mingle with recruits, with recruits, Okay, and where are you going with this? I don't want a past judgment.
Speaker 2: The thing about Lane Kiffin that we know is that he wants to make a splash. He wants to make a splash, and I'm done with the euphabisms, just saying broadly, this is a guy alpfa beer. This is a guy who wants to step in there, wants to make a splash. And I would assume get a bigger job at some point than Fau. But I would think that the controversy quotion, if such thing exists, is pretty high with him.
Speaker 1: I think the urge for Lane Kiffen is strong to be Lane Kiffen. I think it resides in him with a burning passion and the fact that he is in Florida, he's sort of off the beaten path Power five college football conference wise, and anything goes in that state. Ty I don't know if you've seen the stories, but we're not just talking about Lane Kiffen with some sort of uh oh he has a girlfriend. It's Lane Kiffen was arrested for insurance fraud. Lane Kiffen issued a statement in which he said, I was not aware that you couldn't import exotic animals to a college football is total You're right, So I just the potential is so vast for this pick that week to week you are going to be a nervous wreck. Lane Kiffin's Burmese python. Yeah. Absolutely, okay, Lane Kiffin. I did not realize you could not burn antiquities on public land. It's all there, all right, all those antiquities in Florida. You're on the clock again. Oh yeah, that's right. This is a critical selection. Here we go later, al right, I can't complain the pick is in here? Did estein fourth overall selection twenty seventeen Solirable Fantasy Things Draft, Monsoon games and monsoon? Yeah? Do you know why I did this time? You did this to stick it to me? Climate change? Tie, It's real. I've been told what is a monsoon game? So monsoon game is a game? I don't know. Did you watch the Notre Dame Menci State game. Did you let's go right? Thank you, williams uh So. I'll go through it play by play with you if you like. Where and Kelly decided to call thirty eight pass plays or something. It wasn't even Nancy State. It was I believe the year well two years ago. Yes, two remnants of a hurricane game. Yeah it was so that was hurricane game monsoon. I don't know what the difference is. I'm not very bright, but it's gonna happen a few times. We had a cancelation this past year and a rescheduling with LSU Florida that was hurricane. But I feel like, as a non scientist that monsoons are part of hurricanes, so it all counts under the same umbrella and write it down, come back to it. But I feel I feel pretty confident that the mid Atlantic region is going to is gonna represent me pretty well. Late September, October November, we really should have done what I should have done Pacific Northwest, well, what I should have done is look to see what games Notre Dame has and when on the East coast. You could have gotten potential bonus points here by predicting the dates. Really, I do not know that was a part of this game. It could be we're making this up.
Speaker 2: You know what the points system is, Yeah, so you know, theoretically we could figure this out.
Speaker 1: So who is my team? So far? I'm drunk? Your team? Your team? So far?
Speaker 2: You've got Josh Rosen's hot takes, Ye Lane Kiffen, controversy, monsoon.
Speaker 1: Games, and there is one other one that I'm forgetting. But I'm not feeling it so far, really not feeling it. Okay, Oh, I have the coaching penalties and the coaching penalties. That's right, Okay, we should be You're on the clock right now, right, I am on the clock, and I'm going to get another one of myself. How do you feel about your squad? Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, Mike Gundy. This is a coach heavy lineup, yes, so far, but I'm feeling pretty good about it. I am going to go to the media for my next selection, Taylor, the pick is in. I think this pick is bullshit. I'm on the record with the whatever overall pick. Ty hilden Brand has selected Tom Rinaldi tear Jerkers, which Tie is celebrating. Tie is celebrating illness. I'm not celebrating illness. I mean, you made it official, you wrote it down. We're trying to win a game. Dog. No. See, I respect this because you're ruthless. That's right, you are trying to win. It's a quality in me that you just can't see. It doesn't hit the eye.
Speaker 2: Anybody watch college game Day, Yes, a very low viewership in the room here, Tom tom Rinaldi tear jerkers to me is as staple a college football product as you're going to find. Sure about forty percent of the weeks during college game Day, tom Rinaldi trots out some sort of tear jerker that makes you realize that for the next twelve hours, whatever you'll be doing to your mind and body is really not worth it.
Speaker 1: See. I don't know if this is in the spirit of the draft, because this is like drafting seventeen yard passes, Like, yes, they're going to happen, but you just you went with the children. Wow, I didn't say the children. People think I'm a bad person on the show. They're trying to win a game, man. Okay, wow, okay.
Speaker 2: We could message Tom Rinaldi and see how he feels about it, and if he's not, if maybe if he's not for it, compensatory selection, because we have eighty five things over here, there will be several that go undrafted.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm just picturing you on your couch on a Saturday morning and Tom Rinaldi doing a piece where he's he's like, this marine did nine tours of duty, lost seventy three limbs, and has lived to watch Texas Tech football. And I'm pumping my antis, like, yes, that's what I'm talking about. All right, I love how evil this is. He makes a good point. All right, are you are we saying about I'm o' clock again? Okay, it's got so dark. Pick us in. Oh, this is a great pick. This really is shit. With a far more exciting pick, Ty Hildenbrant has selected bring PJ. Fleck bringing his high energy row the Boat mentality to Minnesota. Thank you, thank you. Joke's on you. You have to watch Minnesota football now. So this is a thing.
Speaker 2: This is the thing, this whole mentality, this whole row the Boat thing. It's very much going to be something that you simply cannot avoid this coming college football season. He and his agent have apparently scored the rights to use the official row of the.
Speaker 1: Boat mantra that he had up at Western Michigan.
Speaker 2: I would presume that they're going to try and use it as much as humanly possible at Minnesota. I do have a concern though, about getting in bed.
Speaker 1: With this pick. Okay, I'm serious. What is what is your concerning Fleck? Many concerns. Yeah, I was gonna say, PJ. Fleck is a guy with a stick. He's got that stick, the high motor. It's worked well at Western Michigan. I'm sure it's going to work well at Minnesota.
Speaker 2: What I worry about is how other coaches, mainly Jim Harbaugh, are going to react to a guy with a better shticky because Jim Harbaugh reminds me of the kind of guy. And I said this in our live show, Jim Harball is what happens when you try to teach human emotion to a computer. Okay, it doesn't fully pass the Turing test, it doesn't fully understand the cues, but for the most part, it's you just don't know what it's going to do next. It's a bit unpredictable, and I'm worried that if Harbaugh steps up his game anymore. The kinds of things we're talking about in the podcast are going to be so weird that we're just like, we're done.
Speaker 1: So what is what is the brand? So obviously PJ. Fleck has the row the Boat, high energy guy, and he's running down the sidelines whatever. Sure, competition wise, he doesn't have a lot in the Big ten in terms of big excitement. I couldn't have the mister Softy sound cued up, but this is a mister Softie schedule. So the harbab like outward brand is I'm crazy and I like milk, like right, all right, that's one strategy. Kirk Farens is like, I'm a little bit boring and they pay me a lot of money. Pat Fitzgerald is so of like, guys, I'm underrated, and if you didn't know, I played for Northwestern, I don't know any of those guys, right right, I'm never gonna leave Evanston, Illinois. Beyond that, Mike Riley is, hey, everybody, I'm nice. I'm nice. So you know what, it's a good time to be PJ. Flak bringing that row the Boat energetic mentality to Minneapolis. Why not? We will see what happens. But I'm hitching my wagon to the boat. Okay, my pick is in. I'm saying with the esoteric stuff, this is a volume play time, This is a volume play. This feels so good about this one.
Speaker 2: This is one that Dan added pretty much when we walked in here to get set up today.
Speaker 1: So this is very much off the cuffy. He is going with school commercials that feature a lab and or dance music. So the people have smoken to clarify. It's a commercial for a college that has to both feature scenes of laboratory work and either the dance school or the music school. Right, it's gonna hit every single game time. I'm blowing you out. How to so so how? Yeah, the lab, there has to be a microscope, there has to be collab. There's always this. They always have the white lab code, and it's just like, are we yes, we're looking pie squared.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna give me crap for Tom Rinaldi and the tear Jerkers, yeah, okay, if you're gonna go children being educated, if you're going volume play, yeah, with the generic school commercial, I.
Speaker 1: Don't see how that's much different. It might be more of a moral question. These are These are people learning to dance, These are people learning to play the cello. This is this is a positive thing, does the c C. It just means more commercial count in this category. If they film a commercial with her in a laboratory, it has to be that very specific model in a laboratory in the little Petriot issue. Yeah, and you know on stage dancing or playing. Then, yes, did you take any science classes or dance classes or music classes when you were in college? Numerous dance classes, of course. Did you study with a bunch of people on the quad? No? Never. This the commercial is great because it's so antithetical to basically college experience. Yeah, it's they're not real and that's what makes them beautiful. Oh am, I am I still on the clock here again, down here as Okay, I'm just going for picks that I like. They might not win me the draft. I'm going let's go with this one right here with his next Yeah, I'm running out of that's fine numbers here. Dan Rubinstein, twenty seventeen Colleor Football Fantasy Things Draft selects Brett Beilama and fatherhood. Yeah, Brett Bilama has a baby. Congratulations, Brett Bielima it's changed him. It has made him more appreciative of life. It's changed his perspective. Discounts across all media. So during TV broadcasts, I have a pull quote here, Yeah, to underscore this is great, this is fantastic. Yeah, this is the most SEC thing ever. He welcomed a baby. Briella is her name. Very cute photo that he posted back in July. Do you feel about that name? We're not going to critique the name, Okay, yeah, I mean, just generally speaking, Briella.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna critique the kid's name. She's barely out of the womb.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the name of a villain in a script that Disney rejected Briella. I'm not going there, Okay I did. He posted a picture online, got a bunch of response. Mm hmm. Seccountry dot com a great SEC website. Yeah. Quote, it changes your perspective, Bilama said, I always knew it would. The very next freaking paragraph, I kid you not. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It will be interesting to see how Bilama carries that perspective into the coming football season without any anticipation, right from the birth of his first child, Yeah, onward into the SEC See how it translates.
Speaker 1: We should point out we hope the baby has a happy, healthy life. We hope the Bilama family enjoys growing. That's what Brett Bielhma does. He grows, but it does. It did feel a little bit like Brett Bielima was the first coach to have a child. And I like that the sec country that's who you said it was, Yeah, yeah, I like that they are all in, especially because Jen Bielama has the greatest hashtag quote or hashtag tweet of all time. Right, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this is pressed. Do you think though? That? Did you? So you interpreted it as he's the only coach ever to have a child. My interpretation, it seemed like he got more attention for having a child, like people were almost surprised. Well that's when he was fertile or something. Yeah, is that the word I'm looking for. My interpretation was they were genuinely surprised at oh, like wait, this kick this guy can reproduce. Say, okay, my up, I think you're up. How many picks do we have each? This is getting ridiculous. I believe we're up to seven picks each? Okay, six or seven? A couple more. I do need to go back through this and actually take notes, which we can do at some point. And I love that I got the school commercial tie value pick. All right, I'm going back here. Does a pick in my picks are weird? Ooh? I know, I think I know where you're going. Okay, With the next pick, Ty has selected Gus Johnson. Freakouts, thank you, that's my Could you play that again? Flip?
Speaker 2: That was back in the day when Gus Johnson was just calling college basketball games during the NCAA tournament during the regular season. He had a long, storied career of doing that for CBS, and then there were some rumors about what happened with Gus Johnson.
Speaker 1: Maybe Jim Nance pushed him out, who knows, but he finds his way over to Fox.
Speaker 2: For a while, they had this little experiment where Johnson Gus Johnson's gonna call.
Speaker 1: Soccer, Okay, I thought you're gonna say. For a while, Fox had an experiment where they employed writers, right, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, let's not get let's not get crazy.
Speaker 1: Let's not get crazy, okay, which was crazy.
Speaker 2: They tried this experiment with the soccer We love you man now sorry. It didn't work out, and now we're at.
Speaker 1: This really cool space where he's calling college athletics again. But it's not basketball, it's football. Did anybody watch the Big Ten championship game? Hey, there we go, pennstanay lyons here.
Speaker 2: This to me is about a sure thing as you're going to find. And what's great about it is you never know when it's going to happen. He is never short on a motion when he's calling any kind of sporting event, and it always is just fun. It's fun to watch Gus Johnson when he's calling a game. And we've had a thing on our show for a while now where every.
Speaker 1: Now and again we're like, could this be a Gus game? Could be a Gus game where he just totally loses, scored and starts yelling for no pairent reason. So I'm excited to have this. I'm heavy on coaches, I'm heavy on media. You are, but my team is demonstrably better than yours. Absolutely not good. Hell now I have Brett Beelama reproducing, So it's all gravy. I mean, it is literally all gravy. Again. I don't know what that means, but it sounded right in my head. Okay, so so my pick is is my final pick? I believe I'm up again? You're up again? And then maybe your final pick? Yes, okay? And then what we can do because we have a full room here, Yeah, we're gonna invite someone up for you and someone up for me to make our final pick. You can like that a fan selection. And then my wife is here. She's gonna do a tight five minutes of stand up. All right? Is that right?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry I misheard? Alright, so here take five? Hi Jody? Wait, so is this your final pick? My final pick? So should we have somebody up to read it? We'll have another pick in addition? Oh, another pick? So ceremonial pick. Okright, that's right. This is the pick I thought Ty was going to take. This is a great one tie with his latest traffick has selected. New Strength coach is really paying dividends. That's solid. No, that is a very good pick. If you go.
Speaker 2: On Google right now and just run a simple query for a new Strength coach, you will find exactly what I'm talking.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the articles? Maybe on tech blogs? I don't know if you're into such things, but I don't know if you've seen that they have these algorithms now that can take the place of humans and they can actually programmatically write out a game summarycently.
Speaker 2: You don't have to send a writer to go and do it. It's a it's an automated thing, and it's it's pretty good. This could be one of those articles because every single year, whatever they were doing last year, it seems like the line came back this year.
Speaker 1: Waish. Yeah, they're playing more physical tie. You can just really see something. He found something this year, right, I don't know what it was, but the guys are really motivated. There are articles all throughout the internet right now. There's a new guy at Georgia, new guy maybe at Notre Dame. There's a good healthy list of coaches that are new to their respective schools, their strength coaches, and they are paying dividends right absolutely. You know what I like about this too, is they inevitably and this is sort of another pick, but I don't know if it's going to be taken. They show the videos of guys working out, and man, one video is so different than the next of a guy just putting up a bunch of weight on the bar and lifting as you can tell Tye and I lift tons, so we really know, we really have a sense of what traps are, for instance, and what power cleaning is. That's right, So that's right. That's a good pick, though you'll hear it'll it'll probably be early on in the season more than anything. You know, if somebody starts playing a little bit better, the strength coach gets a lot of the credit. But it could it could happen a lot. It could go the other way too.
Speaker 2: I'm hazarding a guess that it's going to go in a positive direction and that people will be excited about their new strength coach. But if there's a program like Notre Dame also comes to mind, we could be talking about mid October and everyone's hurt.
Speaker 1: Again. It's like, what is that strength coach doing? It is paying dividends with the wrong kind of it. Everybody's got great traps. That's it again, I do not know what traps are. Your final pick. Okay, this is my final pick. I'm gonna stick with a certain theme here. Can we can we boo Dan one more time? Please? Thank you? So this includes yeah, the pick is in the is in that hurts with his final pick. This is actually This might be the last before the ceremonial pick. This is before the seria was making sure. This might be the longest this gentleman lasts in an actual draft. Okay, with his final, actual whatever pick in our whatever draft, Dan Rubinstein has selected Sam Donald's draft stock and or athleticism. Absolutely, he has played other sports, thank you. He has played other sports. I'm more interested if a quarterback. I don't care that they've played basketball. Everybody plays basketball or baseball or runs track in high school. That's sort of ubiquitous at this point. If there was a story that said Sam Donald loves magic of the Gathering, I'd say, fuck yes, Sam Donald, I'm with you, manna, et cetera. But that's not the case. And people just appreciate that his grandfather was the Marlborough Man and that he played basketball. Well, his grandfather was a Marboro Man. His grandfather was also named dick Hammer. It was dick Hammer, which is a great name, which is notable. I'm gonna I'm gonna throw up the brakes a little bit on this pick. Why when was the last time that hype worked out well for anything related to USC. It's not a bad point, it's not a bad point. But like even going into I guess the last guy was probably Matt Barkley who received that amount of attention. He still got a lot of Like if he had come out last year, he might have gone and number one overall, so we would, right, But that's conversation about draft stock, Okay. And so I think Sam Donald unless he starts the season out poorly, unless he has a garbage game against Texas or Stanford they both have, they're playing both of them in September. Yeah. The danger here though, is kind of like taking a system quarterback in the NFL draft, because we tried this a couple of years ago when Josh Rosen was a freshman. Josh Rosen's draft stock. This kid could be the next Peyton Manning. May I follow up workout got last year? What if Sam Donald is bad though, and draft stock is tumbling, that's still draft stock right Yeah? Okay, wow, just making sure. Okay, So while I try.
Speaker 2: To compile our picks and figure out what our actual teams are, why don't you select some want to come up here and make a ceremonial final pick for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I told this person that she would be able to make the choice on stage. Hopefully she still wants to from espianation, Jess Mattana, There she is, and this is really funny. She is the youngest Notre Dame fan in the world by thirty five years. Here all right, now, hold on, I don't know, Oh this is the pick? Is this on a card?
Speaker 2: That is probably on a card? Okay, so you're gonna actually dictate what she has to pick, because I'm gonna let a Oh, I'm gonna let a fan pick mine.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: Has anybody kept track of these picks?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Great, we'll get to that later. We have deep deliberations over here. Okay, Yeah, go for it.
Speaker 3: With the actual final pick in the draft. Dan has selection video of a fan reacting poorly to a loss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good one, Jess, how do you feel about that pick? Well, I'll tell a story real quick.
Speaker 3: So last year, it was a couple days after Thanksgiving, my father, a Notre Dame fan as well, through a Christmas ornament at our television during the USC Notre Dame loss, the eighth loss of the season, like the season was already over, but he broke our TV and I took a picture and I was like, Dad.
Speaker 1: Can I tweet this?
Speaker 3: And he was like, of course not so I did obviously, and so yeah, my only regard is not having a video of that could have gone viral.
Speaker 2: Have I ever told my story about Notre Dame's loss? I think in two thousand and four to BYU on our podcast is this was before like the internet in two thousand, as people know, I went to Penn State and Penn thank.
Speaker 1: You boo booy Okay State. It's fine, but Penn State earlier in the day of like noon, had beaten Akron or somebody Toledo forty eight to ten. It was a blowout.
Speaker 2: Notre Dame that evening had a later game, like a six thirty ish game against BYU.
Speaker 1: It was one of Brady Quinn's first games and it was one of those maddening offensive games where it's just like it feels like everything's going in slow motion and nothing works. It just can't get anything going. What is Charlie Weiss or I guess it wasn't Charlie Weiss, that was Ty willing what's Ty Willingham doing? They end up losing a close game to BYU. Yeah, I know, a shocker.
Speaker 2: I am in the middle of a bar rascaler for anyone who's familiar with UH State College. And at the time I had one of those old cheap LG flip phones. I stood up in the middle of the bar and did a jump throw into the concrete.
Speaker 1: Then I left the ground.
Speaker 2: Smashed the phone into a million pieces. It was one of those record scratch moments where everyone looks like everyone's looking like, what's going what's going on there? Rich Gardner, former cornerback, cornerback, excuse me four Penn State came up to me.
Speaker 1: It looks at me. He's like, you crazy, man, You're crazy, You're crazy my phone? All right, round of applause for tized phone dude, Thank you guys. A round of applause for Jess Matana. All right, I will be taking a volunteer. I for one, am shocked that a middle aged Notre Dame fan got angry. No, it's for a total stunner. Shout out to Jess's dad. All right, Uh, you want to take voluntary you want to see I'm gonna take a volunteer. Who who's interested? Right there, right down the middle, right down the middle, ma'am. My vision is poor Dylan. All right, here are your options. All of these all of these, ty don't you have to tell him the pick? No, you're giving it over. I am I'm a man of the people. Oh man, Tye, I am not. It's communist rule you got going on? That's true? Got a good pick? Oh yeah? Please with the latest pick. Tie's final pick in this year's Fancy Things Draft, Michigan States twenty sixteen was just in a not I like that because now Tie's gonna have to defend that is Is this the the opposite of Michigan State disrespect? Yeah, it absolutely is. This is a polar opposite of Michigan State disrespect is belief. If you are in on this pick, you can't also root for Michigan State. Like the two things are going to negate each other. Right. Do you think twenty sixteen was an anomaly for Michigan State because I don't, Wow, Really, I don't. Okay, I think anomaly is probably too strong a word. I think there will be a course correction, which means they'll make up that there's a drive for six and they're going to make a Bowl game. But no, I don't think they're going to be challenging ghost S Party. I don't know. I don't think they're challenging for the Rose Bowl. The problem. Yeah, No, they're definitely not like, yeah, they're like if they make a bowl this year. This is their second straight rebuilding year, and while last year may have been an anomaly, it fell in a weird way where this year was always supposed to be the rebuilding yar, they actually had a lot of seniors on last year's right this year. This year, it's a bunch of newcomers, new quarterback, but I mean pretty much across board. We did a Big ten preview on Wednesday, talked about.
Speaker 2: This very subject. I don't think it's gonna look good for them at all this year. So thank you Dylan for making this pick. I don't even know if I can fully get behind it.
Speaker 1: I know I was gonna say you, I've had myself out of Dylan's pick. And if people are going to respond and say we're doing it being unduly harsh, unnecessarily harsh to Michigan State, especially since Dan married to Michigan Wolverine, that's right to that. I say, Michigan is an outstanding school that prepares young people for life outside of the university, and they are the leaders of the West Is that true. Is that how it goes? Yeah? Yeah, that's fine? All right? Do you want to review our squads? I'm gonna try. Okay. I have Chip Kelly h coaching rumors, Yes, softer Brian Kelly, which I think is my favorite pick. Ever, I get to follow that all year, which freaking sucks. Mike Gundy's mullet, which will be shaved by week two. Knowing my luck, people will still talk about the mullet. That was maybe, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: PJ Flex High Energy Row the boat men. Can you give me the Jesse Palmer version of that?
Speaker 1: Please? PJ Flex High Energy Row the boat mentality. Thank you, that was very good, Thank you. I've also got what was my pick here? You gotta love it. I have too many options on this, oh new strength coach really paying dividends, Tom Are and all the tear jerkers, Gus Johnson freakouts, and I'm sure I'm missing one. But now Michigan State twenty sixteen. Okay, anomaly all right? Uh you have I have Rosen, I have Donald's Brett Bielaman fatherhood love that pick. You have Lane Kiffin Lane Kiffin controversy. You have the school commercial with the lab and oh yeah, which could be could be a sleeper pick monsoon games and we'll have to go back and look to see. You know. I also have the video of fans taking a lost poorly video. I should also mentioned if people remember last year was an NFL so wouldn't count for me, but a little girl reacted very poorly to the Falcons losing to the Seahawks and was screaming, I hate it. Richard Chairman, if you remember that video, I'm now related to that little girl. She is my wife's little cousin. So shout out to Courtney Klein and Zach Klein that I'm actually related to her, and she's great and over it. She has gotten over it.
Speaker 2: So I think that pretty much. I think that pretty much does it. It does it for the fin for actual roster, yes.
Speaker 1: Of of teams, players, coaches, storylines. What have you our plan? I think moving forward? Well, Rundo of applause for our new applause, absolutely, thank you. We did a lot of scouts. There are myriad ways that people can keep track of how these picks are doing. There's a reddit.
Speaker 2: There's a subreddit right now which has been really active. If anyone here is active on that. Thank you so much for following our nonsense as closely as you.
Speaker 1: Do, and for not harassing women. Shout out to that that's right if you're on Reddit and not harassing women. Whim.
Speaker 2: We will have the sv fantasy hashtag going all year round. Last year we did, and people would tweet in if they saw something. We obviously can't keep tabs on everything going on all the time. We have no idea how we'll keep score, but that gives you all the more reason to tune into the podcast as we figured this out with each passing week.
Speaker 1: Let us know your thoughts. We're at solid verbal at gmail dot com. We're on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, just rolling right in. Say a fan cred? Is that still there? I think fan credit is dead efficiently. So thank you to everyone.
Speaker 2: Here in New York for stopping by for watching this madness. A big thank you to our friend Taylor, our producer in the back, who's our resident Maryland fan.
Speaker 1: Please express your condolences on your way out.