Speaker 1: LinkedIn News. I had just moved to New York and then a layoff happened and I was like, oh crap, I can't get a job. What is it for me? I called up my mom. I was like, I'm going to come back to DC. She was like, I will help you, you know, pay your rent if you need it, I will help you, but I am not going to allow you to come back here. You you have something that you need to do in New York. And Mommy, if you're listening to this episode, from the bottom of my heart, oh my god, I'm gonna get teary eyed, but like it, I am so thankful because she's knew that if I had given up on that dream, then like, had I moved back home to DC, I wouldn't be here with you. I wouldn't be on LinkedIn. There's so many things that would be different in my life.
Speaker 2: From LinkedIn News and I heard podcasts.
Speaker 3: This is Let's Talk Offline, a show about what it takes to thrive in the early years of your career without sacrificing your values, sanity or sleep.
Speaker 2: I'm Gianna Prdente and.
Speaker 1: I'm Jamaie Jackson Gadsden. So guys, today we're going to be talking about something that's kind of uncomfortable and it's also scary. Layoffs. They're unexpected and they're super anxiety inducing, and I mean, honestly, we hope you never have to experience one in your career, but your work bestie Jamay is going to tell you if someone who has gone through four that the reality is we've seen a lot of layoffs these past few years, and they've also hit many different industries.
Speaker 3: It really is rough out there and super scary to know that an employer can kind of just drop you on a dime. Layoffs can feel out of your control, and that's because they largely are. But what you can do is be prepared. That's what we're going to talk about today. We're gonna help you deal with the uncertainty of possibly getting laid off and share what to do if it actually happens.
Speaker 1: So I know a lot of you guys have probably seen on social media that people are posting their layoff stories more and more. It's really interesting because I remember time when we weren't talking about layoffs so publicly, and I would just say, over the last couple of years, in particular, I've been seeing a lot of people share their stories, some even going as far as recording the actual moment they get laid off and posting it online. Now, there's been a lot of layoffs in different industries over the years, and I know how daunting and scary that can feel. But it's been really also nice to see how people are talking about it in such an open way. I think what it's doing is it's allowing for a lot of community and support and also for you to just understand this is not just the me thing, like I am in this shared experience with other people. So Gion, I want to ask you, like, have you ever gone through a layoff?
Speaker 3: So I've never been laid off myself, but now being three years into my career, I've experienced the past, you know, two years of all of those layoffs that were happening across industries, and they happen at LinkedIn, and that was when I was like, Okay, wow, this is really hitting close to home. Obviously, there's a lot of anxiety when it comes to layoffs. You hear chatter online. I mean there's like a lot of websites for people who work in tech and people are commenting, you know, I think layoffs are happening, and it just I'm on those apps, so listen, I'm not because it was just creating more anxiety. So when layoffs happened, people were like, oh, how did you not anticipate this?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I'm not on those sites, like I can't, I can't.
Speaker 3: So you know, it just creates a lot of anxiety. And I remember when layoffs were happening at our company, I had just moved out and I remember sitting in my apartment reading that email, thinking, crap, what if I'm next? Right, because you feel so out of the know, and it can feel sometimes super out of the blue, and it affects the entire you know, vibe of the team and the larger company, right, and then just that general anxiety of are there going to be more?
Speaker 2: Is it going to be me next? And I think for me it was.
Speaker 3: A real wake up call of like, Okay, things can change on a dime, So you need to.
Speaker 2: Be proactive with your work.
Speaker 3: If something's not working, don't wait for someone to tell you.
Speaker 2: You got to shift it yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally agree. I think something that a lot of people don't talk about when it comes to layoffs is survivor's guilt, which is what you me so many people experience right where you are not impacted by the layoff, but you feel so guilty because now you're asking yourself, well, why was this person? You know, these are some of your friends or your colleagues, people who have been in companies for a long time, right, and there's just all these questions. And the truth of the matter is there are more questions than answers usually. Now for me, I have been on the other side of this.
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 1: Survived for layoffs, and I've also been impacked by one. And the one that I was impacted by hurt the worst because I had just moved to New York and I had actually just moved out of my friend's apartment into my own spot with roommates. So I was feeling like, oh, yes, I'm a big girl now, like I can you know, I'm paying rent, utilities, all the things, and like I my own room. And then a layoff happened and I was like, oh crap, and I was out of work for over six months. Now. I had a really great severance package that essentially paid for like six months worth, so it was nice, you know, I think for me. I first got in there and I was trying to get a job immediately right, and then I realized, oh, this is harder than I thought. And around month one then the depression kicks in because now I'm like, holy crap, I've moved to New York. I can't get a job. What is it for me? I called up my mom. I was like, I'm going to come back to DC. Like by month two, I was over it. She was like, I will help you, you know, pay your rent if you need it, I will help you, but I am not going to allow you to come back here. You have something that you need to do in New York. And Mommy, if you're listening to this episode from the bottom of my heart, oh my god, I'm gonna get teary.
Speaker 5: I but like it.
Speaker 1: I am so thankful because she's knew that if I had given up on that dream then So I say all of that because a moment, momentary circumstance doesn't dictate your future. Right Like, had I moved back home to DC, I wouldn't be here with you, I wouldn't be at LinkedIn. There's so many things that would be different in my life. But the layoffs that I survived are also difficult. One the survivor's guilt that I talked about. Two. Usually when you have a reduction in workforce, and if a layoff is the reason why, it's not like they're immediately backfilling those roles. So you put a lot of pressure then on the people who are left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we saw that especially over the past few years, because a lot of the layups were due to budget cuts exactly.
Speaker 1: And then you also have issues where like if a particular industry is being impacted, now you're getting droves of people, Like it's wild to me sometimes when I'm talking to my friends who particularly don't work in tech, because in their minds, they're not processing, Oh, all these tech companies have essentially over hired right after the pandemic, and they're like they can't conceptualize it. Whereas we're hearing ten, fifteen, thirty thousand people getting laid off, and then you're worried because you're like, oh, gosh, now all those people out in the job market, and so like, now you know for every job there's.
Speaker 2: Five thousand competition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I would definitely say like surviving layoffs has not been easy, but I think for me, what helped me get through the one, particularly with our company, was I had been through so many I knew how this was going to play out right, Like it's almost like a rinse and repeat. I know how this is about to feel. I know how this is about to go. I know the space that we're going to have to hold for other people. So again, layoffs are not easy for anyone out there who's been impacted. My heart goes out. I know what it feels like. But take it from your work bestiage. You may you will get through this. You will survive this. I hope this episode is going to be helpful for you, and also do see that this could also be a positive redirection that pushes you into something even bigger, better, in something that will blow your mind.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that perspective because as somebody who is early in my career and hasn't experience that personally being laid off. I mean, my voice literally just quivers thinking about that happening to me. And like I was saying earlier, when layoffs hit the company, I thought, holy crap, am my next? And it really did get me thinking, you know, what would I do if this was me? And especially around that time, there were so many headlines around layoffs, like you couldn't ignore it, And so I started thinking, and I hadn't given you know, enough thought to it, probably, but I started thinking, you know, what would I do? Because honestly, like, if I'm being transparent, my initial reaction would be like to freak the heck out, Like I would freak out, like I would have a full blown panic attack. And I mean, you don't have a salary anymore, and you have expenses, and that's so terrifying. And I think what's so unsettling about, you know, being in an atmosphere of layoffs is like people are having conversations about you when you're not in that room, and that is such a horrible, unsettling feeling. So yeah, yeah, I think, you know, if you're early in your career and you're listening to this and you haven't been laid off and you feel this way too, you know, like, what would I do if that is an experience that I have?
Speaker 2: At some point?
Speaker 3: We're going to talk today about the steps that you can take to kind of create a plan, because listen, I need one, you need one, So hopefully we can figure this.
Speaker 2: All out together.
Speaker 1: All this layoff talk makes me nervous, But what helps is having a strategy coming up. We're going to talk about the things you should consider. I'm putting together your layoff plan. All right, guys, So we are back and we are going to be talking about how to deal with the anxiety of possibly getting laid off, as well as what to do if you actually are. Now the reality is, when it comes to layoffs, the first thing you're probably going to experience is layoff anxiety, and that's the feeling of uncertainty and at the thought of possibly getting laid off. It doesn't even have to actually have happened yet, it's the fear of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe you know you're starting to hear rumors about possible layoffs, or your company isn't doing well financially, so you're thinking, okay, are cuts coming? Maybe they already have started doing layoffs and you're wondering, okay, am I next that layoff anxiety can really affect the overall work environment and the morale of the team, but also your work. Right, it's really hard to focus when you're concerned that your job isn't safe. And we all have the right to feel scared during such an uncertain time. So, Jimmie, I'm wondering from you, as somebody who's experienced for layoffs in your career, how have you dealt with that anxiety of potentially being laid off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a couple of things that I would recommend. First of all, lean on your community and your network. One thing that a friend of mine told me years ago was that she, having worked in HR, would be in rooms with people and when it was time for layoffs. Sometimes the one thing that separated a candidate being laid off and not is the rapport that that candidate may have had with their team. So if you are someone who comes in you do great work, you have, you know, sown seeds across the company. People can attest to your.
Speaker 2: Characters seeds like.
Speaker 1: Some sunlight on them, don't kill them. Now, I don't have a green thumb, but like, sometimes it would be that small right, And so obviously that doesn't apply for every opportunity, that doesn't apply for every layoff. But I have always carried that with me, that your community will rally for you, and your community will show up. So lean on your community and network. I mean, especially if you can start to read the tea leaves and it's starting to show something weird. Make sure you are connecting with those coworkers, your mentors, your family, your friends, set up those informationals right, start acting as if you were already looking for another job. You don't have to go as hard as if you are. But you can always operate in a season of networking. And yeah, definitely always getting laid off is not an uncommon experience, and so more than likely you are going to probably also find people who are gonna talk, who are gonna also share their layoff stories. Another thing that I think is super important is like thinking about that post layoff game plan. Do you need to sit down and you need to come up with some type of plan. Okay, this is gonna help you feel sure. This is when all of my structured girlies come to the front. Okay, because this is when you can be doing things like updating your resume, obviously, updating your LinkedIn right, sharing your portfolio, writing up your skills, looking and researching what resources are readily available to you. So this is gonna help set you up so that even if you are faced with the possibility of getting laid off, you know that if that happens, you are in a position where you have everything you need another thing, go and get those recommendations. You know, we always love to hit somebody up after we're like hey, big hey, can you like be like someone who like if they call you, like, be like how you said earlier, be on the offense. Gather those things up as you can. And then the last thing I would just say is like, know how to tune out the noise For me, I love to journal, I love to create vision manifestation boards. Right, do something that makes you not focus so much on what the apps are saying, right, because you will. You will fake news, right, You will literally like gaslight yourself into an anxiety attack. Like you don't need.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, exactly, Like.
Speaker 1: If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. You stressing out and looking every single day looking at the calendar seeing like it's today d day, Like no, it's not to go work, So like just focus on what you can do and prepare yourself with your community.
Speaker 3: And I want to add something that I appreciated when we had Jeanine Dolne on the show talking about side hustles a few episodes back, So make sure you guys listen to that if you haven't already. But she talked about being laid off and how kind of was the turning point for her to go full time into content creation. And I feel like with gen Z being a generation that has so openly embraced side hustles, it's a time to really focus.
Speaker 2: On that other work, that side gig.
Speaker 3: Right, So, like, if you're somebody who has a side hustle or has a hobby that is important to you, focus your efforts there and your energy there because that could potentially be something that you can fall back on if you know you are laid off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now you have the time, right, you have the time, maybe you have the resources, especially if you've gotten like a severance package, like go all in on your dream because you never know where that can go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think also it's like a reminder that there's life outside of work, and there's other things you know, to put your energy toward that can be a little bit of an escape. Okay, So now let's say unfortunately the layoff happens and you're impacted. We're going to walk you through what to do, the steps you should take listen. Being on the jobs and career development beat for early careers, I've been so thrown into content around layoffs. The biggest thing has been this idea of pausing. I mentioned if I were to be laid off, I would panic freak out. I would probably transparently panic apply. That's not the most effective way to start job surging. So this idea of like, first, take a breath, take a beat. It can feel really overwhelming when you get laid off, and you know, feel those feelings, right like, take a second and grieve. Honestly, you know, I feel very closely tied to the company where I currently work, in passionate about my work. So I would literally have to like grieve losing the job and also be kind to yourself, you know, give yourself some space to acknowledge what has happened, protect your mental health, do what you need to do so that you are then ready to start looking for jobs. And also remember during this time that layoffs are not a reflection of your skills, your experience, your talents, right like. Unfortunately, a lot of times like are just a consequence of unfortunate circumstances. What's happening in the economy and it's not a reflection of your worth, So keep your head up, don't let it knock your confidence, and then it's time to start, you know, looking at those resources and start job searching.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I really appreciate you sharing that, g because I think we always have to remember that, like, at the end of the day, these are corporations that we do work for, but like you also need to take a step back, take a pause, and remember that your worth is not attached to your work. So let's also talk about resources. Though. The first thing that I would definitely recommend is navigating government assistance. Y'all. I really want to make sure you are listening for this part, okay, because this is so important and these are mistakes that I made the first time I got laid off. There's a lot of government resources that you can rely on if you're laid off.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The biggest one unemployment insurance. Okay. Each state is gonna have their own requirements, so you're gonna definitely have to make sure you check that out in the qualification criteria. But please look into applying. No matter what, a lot of people will be like, oh no, I'm a find another job, baby, apply, Okay, just make sure that you cover yourself. Links to all of that is also going to be in the show description, so make sure you guys check that out.
Speaker 2: Wait, so I have a good question on that.
Speaker 3: Can you still apply for unemployment insurance if you're getting severance from your company?
Speaker 1: Great question. So it actually depends on the state, which is why everyone's going to need to make sure that they check out the criteria.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the government will actually offer you a stipend for the number of weeks depending on your state while you look for another job, which is always great. Another thing to look into is health insurance. Now, look, y'all, I used to be twenty three once before, ok two, I thought I was inevitably gonna stay young forever. And then I cracked my knee. And then I'm like, what my knees crack in the morning? Now, okay, wait, I know what age?
Speaker 2: Were your knees cracking like this?
Speaker 1: I have never had strong kneed? Can Meg the Stallion have never been the same person. But I say all of that to say that health insurance matters.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: You do not want to be out here without health insurance. And then something comes up, So applying for health insurance is all going to vary by state. You know, you have a lot of common options, including Cobra, which a lot of people have heard about, or you can even shop the healthcare dot gov marketplace. One thing that I will definitely emphasize here is more than likely when you are let go, you will have a conversation with HR. Usually it either might be with HR or it might be your manager. It depends also on the company size and how many people they have to get through. If you have the opportunity to talk to HR directly ask them questions. In that moment, you are going to probably want to stop thinking, you're going to zone out, You're going to dissociate, right. You need to stay present and in the moment and level headed and ask the questions because your HR professional is going to be able to tell you where to look and even how much longer you have health insurance for right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's such an important call out. And I feel like when you were talking before about your layoff game plan to start when you're crafting that during that anxiety period, you should write out the question that you would ask, because I'm sure during that conversation your mind goes blank.
Speaker 2: So prepare those questions ahead of time.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then lastly, I'll say look into subsidize training programs. I think that when you are not working, that is a great time for you to start upskilling and like learning other things. This might be a time where, for instance, if you want to break into tech, taking a coding class or learning what SEQL queries are, there are a lot of training programs that offer it subsidized, which means like you know, maybe like pro rated or discount of depending on how much you make. And you might even be able to find programs that help you develop new skills or improve the ones you already have. Also, you might work for a company that offers that. You know, I have worked at other companies where a certain period of months after you've been laid off, they will help you search for another job right or send you resources. So again, these are questions you can ask HR, but also include that in your game plan of this as to things that you should follow up on, because this is the important stuff. Guys like I know we're gonna want to be sad girls, and we can be okay, g and I are not telling you can't. We want to be proactive sad girls.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to bring up a question from one of our listeners. This is our segment Dear Work Bestie, where we answer your questions. This week's comes from nine in New York.
Speaker 5: I love to know how soon are you supposed to start looking after a layoff? Obviously it depends on each person's situation, but would love some general guidelines. Also, how do you offer support to colleagues who are laid off when you weren't affected yourself, even to those that you weren't that close to.
Speaker 3: This is such a great question, and I feel like one that a lot of people have is when do I start job searching? And like I said before, panic applying is not the most effective strategy, but understandably so some people have to start applying immediately. In general, I think that brief pause is still important, even if it's just you know, a few minutes, like just take a second to breathe and okay, what is my next step? When you decide to start looking for a job is of course going to be dependent on your financial situation. So if you're receiving severance after getting laid off, or have a lot of savings, maybe you don't need to jump into that job search right away and you can take a break, But maybe you don't have you know, the financial backing to be able to afford that break, so you have to start looking for a job immediately. Either way, evaluating your finances is a really good starting point that will help you figure out when do I need to start looking for a job. Another thing to consider, which is why I think this pause period is so important, is maybe this, you know, layoff is a chance for you to pivot right We've seen that a lot over the last few years. Workers are getting laid off in one industry and finding jobs in another. So it's your opportunity to decide is this the right career path for me? Looking back on your work history or looking back on just that previous job, thinking what did I like about this, what did I not like? And how does that inform what I want in a future opportunity? And maybe that means like I want to go to a whole new industry right like I don't even want to stay in this role anymore.
Speaker 1: Let me just add to that, g that that is such an important thing for you to ask yourself. That is exactly what I did when when I kept getting impacted by layoffs in media, particularly in journalism. I was like, I love this so much, but I need something with a little bit more security.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, I can't do this, and asking yourself that question might actually save you a lot of heartache down the future. I was able to pivot and I get the best of both worlds now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's part of it too, Like, even if you personally don't want to maybe pivot, you might think for my career and whatever my goals are, it might be best for me to, you know, find a more stable path.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then of course, once you start applying and you're going through the interview process, you are going to be asked what happened if let's say it's a shorter stint on your resume. So let's say you were at a company for a year or so or less than that and you were laid off. You know, the good news is that companies now don't look at getting laid off as a red flag. It's unfortunately become so common that it's not, you know, something that's going to stand out too much on your resume, especially in this job market. You know, you just have to say, unfortunately, I was laid off. And if you decided to take let's say a few months off in between your job and finding a new ones you have a break. You can explain the situation to you know, the potential employer by saying, you know why you decided to take that break, and what you learned during it, what did you gain from it, what clarity did that give you? And during that time, you know, did you take advantage of you know, upscilling programs and keeping your skills fresh. Just keep it short, simple, and answer honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay. So going back to NIC's question on how to offer support to colleagues who have been laid off. So the first thing I think is important is to reassure them that a layoff again does not reflect their competency or talent. And you can do that by acknowledging all the work that they've done, I mean, all the work that they've done to help you, all the work they've done to help the company, or even what you appreciate about them as a coworker. Next, and this is super important, take a step back and listen. Everybody is so quick to offer advice and it pisses me. Yeah, it pisses me off.
Speaker 2: Only because you don't like unsolicited advice.
Speaker 1: Unknowing, you know, Gianna, I love it as much as I love yapping.
Speaker 2: It all comes.
Speaker 1: Yapping. But I think that, like sometimes we forget that when someone is grieving, because this is grief. Sometimes you just need to offer a space to listen. And maybe in that moment they're not in the right heart posture to receive feedback yet or advice. Maybe they just need to be angry, maybe they just need to grieve, Maybe they just need to be sad, maybe they need to go through all their emotions. Be there to listen, don't be quick to offer advice or ask what their next steps are. Be there as a supportive person. But then when you do get asked for advice, make sure that it is specific and actionable. It can be something as simple as if you ever need a talk, I'm here, or let's say, for instance, you are a really great writer, help your friends craft their about me section on LinkedIn right, help people review their resumes, like utilize your network and resources. But make sure that it is specific versus being just general, which really can almost help nobody. And I would just say, like that helps take the pressure off of that person without having to figure out like how they can lean on you. But then it also kind of helps them feel a little less overwhelmed because they know they have community. So if you're going to offer, be specific.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's just one less thing for them to have to think about exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So guys, look, I know this is a lot of information. I know we have thrown so much at you today, but again, there's going to be a ton of resources down in the show description, so definitely make sure you check the show description. And if you need more advice on how to handle layoffs, one of our own LinkedIn editors, Andrew Semen, has a great podcast called get Hired with tons of amazing tips on how to navigate job lost, so definitely make sure you check that out as well. Lastly, if you've been laid off and you want to share your experience, comment in this week's newsletter or even create a post and at Gianna and me, we would love to hear your stories. I mean, honestly, I hope that some of the tips that gian and I were able to share today will help you actually prepare for this a little bit more. But listen to me when I say this, you are not at the mercy of what happens to you. You can be proactive and prepared in the event you are ever impacted by a layoff.
Speaker 3: Layoffs are definitely scary, but just know that you've got this and we've got your back up.
Speaker 2: Next.
Speaker 3: Do you know one word that makes me nervous?
Speaker 2: Hey? That's it.
Speaker 3: Just Hey, we're gonna talk about why after the break.
Speaker 1: So normally we close out our show sharing our like final takeaways, but I want to change it up a little bit this week, and Gianna, I want to put the spotlight on you. Okay, you started off the episode talking about how you've never been directly impacted by a layoffs. You've seen colleagues get impacted and what that did for you, and you are in a position I think a lot of other people in their early career are right, which is like, you've heard of layoffs, you've seen them play out on social media. You kind of always have this little fear that it's going to come knocking on your door. I want to know after today and all the things that we've discussed, like, what are some of the takeaways that you are taking, What is your game plan? What is the Giona game plan.
Speaker 2: Oh God in the hot seat for this now.
Speaker 3: You know. I think the biggest thing that I'm taking away from our conversation is that layoffs are something that so many people experience, so you are not alone in that. I feel like that's very comforting to know. I do, you know, admittedly think that it would hurt a lot, but I think this conversation has really shown me the importance of having a game plan. You know, I've clearly given some thought to this, but I don't have anything.
Speaker 2: Like actually fleshed out. And he just said, my resume is collecting us right now.
Speaker 3: So I think that's a really good first step, is assessing my resume, just making sure that I'm updating that so it's not just a huge task, and also making sure that I have a good outlook on my finances and understanding of my financial landscape.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think those are my takeaways.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. And I think what you were saying about being prepared and having a game plan does not mean that you are ready to leave your job right Like people start saying, oh, let me brush up the resume, Like wait, you get to own your career and that is so important. Yeah, all right, this has been a pretty heavy episode. I get it. So let's even mood a little bit. You know, let's get a little comfortable. We are gonna do cringe. Are cool?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 2: That's when we get to.
Speaker 1: Talk about things like workplace trends, things that are happening in the workforce out in the world, and Gian and I get to put our gen z and millennial minds and we get to discuss is it cringe or is it cool? Now I'm a little nervous. I'm already cringing a little bit because I have no idea what we're talking about this week.
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel like I already know. Every time I say, I'm like, I know what you're gonna think.
Speaker 3: But okay, this week we're talking about hey, hanging hey.
Speaker 1: Like for h y Okay. I was gonna say, for a cow do cows?
Speaker 2: Oh No, not like hey like enang okay? Hey, Hey.
Speaker 3: So this means, okay, I'll give you a scenario to help you understand. So let's say, for instance, I'm messaging on Slack. I just say hey, that's it, and I wait for you to reply before I tell you why I'm messaging you, which maybe for you and I are dynamic.
Speaker 2: You know, you might not be like, oh god, what is it?
Speaker 3: But for somebody who maybe has a bit more influence if they message you in that way, or your manager or you know in general, right, Like it's hey, Haying, and it can cause a lot of anxiety because it's like what does this person want?
Speaker 2: What is coming next? I am scared?
Speaker 3: And once you answer, you're like, Okay, they know them around. I got to answer their next thing quick. So what is it so scary?
Speaker 2: So what do you think, Hey Haying.
Speaker 1: I'm not answering.
Speaker 2: Here're done?
Speaker 1: No, because what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Like no, I don't like it?
Speaker 1: No, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like if you had enough time to write, hey, you could have at least given me like a like a quick trailer, something like a five word like.
Speaker 2: What a little prevow?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't like that. No, yeah no, But see, the thing is like, because my anxiety would actually spike because I'm just like what and that has actually happened to me before. It was senior leadership Like they do that and then like I don't hear anything. I go into a meeting again, in the middle of a meeting, then they're like hey, send me five examples of this, Like right now I'm talking to like the senior CEO of like well, and I'm like what that's eye twitches like no, no, please, yeah, please, I do not I but you know what when whenever that happens, I try to remember, like certain people that's how they communicate. But I would say I think the anxiety comes from it being in a work environment. If you are the person who does that, just kind of like give people a little teaser, a little sound bite, a little send a voice not you know, gion and I love the voice. That would be great or even just like a quick like hey do you have blah blah blah blah insert And also when you do that, add a deadline. Oh god, this is add a dead.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh no, because when you are ever messaging today, you got rules to follow.
Speaker 1: I need I need an eta of like when you need this buy because everything is gonna feel like a level ten priority. But like you just saying hey makes it feel so casual. No, I don't like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am like so not here for it because it gives me so much anxiety of like what's coming next.
Speaker 2: I'm the person that.
Speaker 3: I'm like, so opposite of hay Hanging, I will like literally.
Speaker 2: Type out a whole novel to you.
Speaker 3: I will be like, hey, like whatever, whole novel of everything I need.
Speaker 2: It's all going in one message, to.
Speaker 3: The point where like my manager has been like, wow, you had that message ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah, prescript it.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 9: Sometimes I Oh my god, you guys are gonna think I'm clinically insane, which I am. I mean, but I will like message like, I will type out the message also to myself in slack first, because I don't want people to see.
Speaker 2: Like I'm typing for so long? Is that crazy?
Speaker 1: Actually I do the same thing. Okay, I write it in my notes app yeah, and then yeah I haven't read Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Let us know. What do you guys think about hay Hanging? Are you a hay Hanger? Why are You'll just.
Speaker 1: Message us and they just say hey, and that's their response. If we don't, I'm not I'm sorry, just kidding gian and I will answer because we love you all. Okay, guys, this has been immedy episode, but I hope that you guys have been able to take away a lot of actionable tips that you feel empowered by. Thank you guys so much for listening.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you guys, and make sure if you're not already following our newsletter, Let's Talk Offline, where we go even deeper into the topics we discuss on the pod. You can share all your takes for our segments like cringer cool, if you're hanging, or all the things. You can find the link in the show description and it's also in my LinkedIn bio.
Speaker 2: It's called you Guessed it.
Speaker 1: Let's Talk Offline.
Speaker 2: I like it stunning now.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm gonna give a huge shout out Tony for sending in their question. I I know that that was probably a hard question to ask. We appreciate it. We want you all to know that you also have a friend in us. You can send us your questions. Okay, information on hab you that is also in the show description.
Speaker 3: One last thing, make sure you guys rate and follow the show wherever you like to listen. I'm a Spotify girly, what are you doing?
Speaker 9: I'm Apple podcast, but I do love a Spotify love all right, And before you guys, thank you.
Speaker 3: Remember Jimmy and I've always got your back. So if something comes up in the meantime, let's talk offline.
Speaker 2: I'm Jianna Prudenti.
Speaker 1: And I'm Jamaie Jackson Gadson Gollop. Before you go, we're going to end the show a little differently. Today we ask listeners who've experienced layoffs to share their messages of support, and we got an overwhelming response. Job loss is such a common experience nowadays, so if you're going through it, it helps to know you're not alone. So stick around and I hope you enjoy.
Speaker 7: Hey, So I actually got laid off, not once, but twice, and I have to say, if you've recently gotten laid off, that's not where you were meant to be and it's tough, but it'll be so much better one way or another. You'll be grateful this happened to you. And that's what happened to me.
Speaker 4: I've changed careers multiple times, and I've also been laid off various times for reasons outside of my control. Always have found that my network in my community get me to the next place, and I always find something bigger and better. Hi.
Speaker 8: I was laid off in twenty twenty three, and a few months after I started my own business for those laid off recently. This might be a low point. So whatever your next move will be, be bold, whether it be finding your next job or starting your own business, say strong and you got this.
Speaker 6: Being laid off can be scary due to the uncertainty, but you will be okay. Sometimes the best things come from in certain situations, So take a moment and breathe. Great things take time, and you will be okay.
Speaker 3: Let's Talk offline as a production of LinkedIn News and iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Western Sound. Our producer is Sabrina Fang. The show is edited by Savannah Wright. Our associate producer is Sarah Dilley. Alex McInnis is our engineer, and Ben Adair is the executive producer.
Speaker 1: Executive producers at iHeart Podcasts are Katrina Norvel and Niki Eatore. Got import from LinkedIn's Jesse Hemple, Sarah Storm and Ayana Angel. Maya Pope Chappelle is director of Content, Dave Pond is Head of News Production, Courtney Coop is head of Original Programming, and Dan Roth is the editor in chief of LinkedIn