Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we're talking about another Larimie Tunzel mega deal just a six years later. I'm Greg rosenthalm here in the Chris Westling podcast studio on the first day of the NFL negotiating window, Patrick Claybon and Man. We have a lot of deals to talk about.
Speaker 2: And it's to think about the amount of time that's passed there, because it feels like yesterday, but also it feels like twenty million years ago since that twenty nineteen trade. But it's symbolized by just how many things are constantly happening. And that's just one of the many things we get to discuss.
Speaker 3: Today in the march of time.
Speaker 1: Because the price tag for Laramie Tunzel in twenty five not the same price tag as it was in nineteen, and yet very significant and it was front of my mind because it was the most surprising news I think that happened on Monday. If you listened to our Sunday night recap show, Shook and I hit some of the big names like Devon and Geno, Smith and DK and on the first day of freegency we had just a crazy amount of players signed. As usual, it seems like it goes faster and faster every year. Maybe not as many huge, huge fireworks, Patrick, but we're going to go through it all day. I was stressed about, like, what is the right time to tape this show. I want to get get it right, and so we're coming straight off the set. If you're watching on YouTube, you get a free Greg still got the pocket look at my pocket square because we did NFL Insiders together and people should check out Patrick on that all week long. I'll be back with you on Wednesday for sure. On that show, let's actually start at the quarterback position. So we're just going to go through every item of news. My vision for this NFL Daily week it's really just news focus. If you only listen to this podcast for some reason, I want you to feel like you have literally every significant deal covered.
Speaker 2: If you listen to Greg this week, you will be fully plugged in as if you were listening to our show for the entirety of the six hour.
Speaker 1: We're gonna try to squeeze it into about an hour. All right, Sammy, Donald's go into the Seahawks. This was the move that every year, there's one that everyone knew was happening before free agency started at least after the Geno Smith trade happened. And now I look back at last week and I think about all those reports and I fell into it too. We talked about it with Daniel Jeremiah. Oh, well, actually the best option for Sam Donald might be Minnesota, and that's getting push push, And now I look back on that as Oh, were they playing a leverage game the Donald camp to make it seem like, Hey, you got to raise your price there in Seattle, and Seattle's waiting to finish that behind the scenes before they trade Geno. Well, they've got their guy, thirty seven point five million dollars guaranteed, three for fifty overall. Depends on how you look at it, it's essentially the Baker Mayfield contract for Seattle. I think you can make the case of why they made this deal. What did you think about it when you're breaking it on NFL Network.
Speaker 2: Well, ultimately, the deal it's very difficult, just like it was for the Michael PENNOCKX draft pick, to be viewed as just the deal, because the Seahawks got rid of a good quarterback. Ultimately trading in a way to play for their old coach and his oole coach in Las Vegas to bring in Sam Donald, who had that spectacular year, not being dismissive of that that spectacular year on a team that was loaded with offensive talent, on a team that featured the coach of the Year and Kevin O'Connell calling the plays, to go to a team that just fired their offensive coordinator, got rid of their best receiver, a longtime great at receiver, and is in total turnover. In the entire situation where it's difficult to view Sam Donald and say, yeah, I'm excited about Sam Donald when in my opinion, they had a better quarterback last year.
Speaker 3: Right, So I need, I wanted.
Speaker 1: This is one of the contracts, and I agree with everything you said that I want to see the details to it. The report is fifty five million dollars guaranteed. How much of that money is into year two. It reminds me a lot of when Derek carr re signed with the Raiders. It's hard to keep which coaching staff was there at the time straight, but I believe it was with Josh McDaniels, and people were a little surprised, and I remember saying at the time, this is really a one year deal and it's a try it out and see if this marriage works that one didn't work. I suspect that's what this darnold move is ultimately, So if you just go through the logic of it in a total vacuum they are putting out there through the media, our guys reported at the Insiders that Gino was offered basically the same or similar contract. He said no, So from the Seattle's perspective, they're looking at it like they got seven years younger. That's significant. Gino is getting older. I think that is a concern. He hasn't showed his age, I don't think, but that's a concern that he's going to be cheaper than whatever genosigned for with the Raiders, you know, maybe by a little bit, and Gino might get guaranteed money in to twenty twenty six. And most importantly in my mind, maybe Donald's a better fit or he's a good fit at least in Clint Kubiak's offense. Clint Kubiak was in New Orleans last year. He was in Minnesota a few years back with Kirk Cousins. This kind of paint by numbers back to the offense play action. What Sam Donald was successful in Minnesota. Maybe Gino wasn't the perfect fit for that. You add that up all up together, and a little bit in a vacuum, you actually can see the vision. It's not that they didn't have a vision. I don't necessarily think it's going to be unsuccessful. But then I come back to the point that you said, which is Geno Smith this is better at football. He's just better, and that the problems that Donald has, which I believe are reading defenses before and after the snap, are going to get them in big spots. I don't think Gino would have had the meltdown eighteen game where it was really an opposing coordinator breaking Donald's brain and making him freeze like Donald did. And we'll see if that happens, you know for Seattle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ultimate, the Seahawks can improve in a lot of different areas, and Sam Donald can continue to approve. And he's always going to be younger than Geno Smith, like clearly, like the linear nature of time has dictated that. But I would need to see a age related falloff for Gino, who again watched football for several seasons, right, So, I don't know if Gino's age relatively to the people who played football for those entire seasons. Is the same. But considering that they had already made the Gino trade, I think Sam Donald was the best option for what was available. Yes, and they had to pay that Sam Donald price. So in that view, good welcome back Sam Donald. It's just a tough situation for him to go to and try to be successful where all those people watch Geno and company go up and down the field, Gino doing spin moves in the pocket to get away from early interior rushes, firing a ball down the field, where that's not necessarily Sam's game, and it's going to be tough for people to see that to go to whatever this version of the Kubiak offense is going to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our friend Mina Kaimes pointed out in a couple of different stats how different their pressure rate In terms of quick pressure. Donald was eighteenth in the league in facing quick pressure. Gino was second, behind only Drake May and that disastrous offensive line, and Gino's numbers against quick pressure were great. The case again for is I don't think that's going to happen with Clint Kubiak. I know Darnald likes to hold the ball a lot, but that should be an offense where you get rid of the ball quickly. The scheme is supposed to make up for some of the offensive line deficiencies. They're certainly going to add some offensive linemen on the interior and free agency and the draft and so like everything this week, it's not a final answer, and it's going to be fascinating. But I think you can only choose one. You're either in Geno Nation or you're part of the Donald Hive. And this is gonna be tough for menat I'm doing her show Wednesday, actually, so I will ask her about it in person. You have to choose one.
Speaker 2: You're either with me or you're against me.
Speaker 1: You can't do it. It's spicy, though it adds a little spice. I never bought the whole idea that the Seahawks are trying to reset by trading Gino and DK Metcalf. John Schneider is on the hot seat, Mike McDonald's entering his second year. They're not trying to reset. They're gonna try to win. This is their way that they're trying to win. That's just I don't think they're trying to take a step back. As my point is, I believe they're trying to win the NFC West, and this is John Schneider's idea of how to do it. Whether that works or not, I have my doubts, but that's his idea.
Speaker 2: I will say this, Sam Donald will have fewer attempts than Geno Smith had in twenty twenty four. I don't think that the offense will be as heavily featuring the quarterback and his decision making. And you will get whatever the investment's worth in Sam Donald, but the ceiling in terms of what you can try to accomplish, I don't think they're gonna they're gonna do that with Sam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll see.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe Gino does better away from Ryan Grebb, but who knows, maybe Ryan Grebb at Alabama now does better without Geno.
Speaker 3: We will see.
Speaker 1: That was a one year moment in time with the Seahawks, like a fun little mini era, and it's.
Speaker 2: Over a good Seahawks team, by the way, like.
Speaker 3: They won ten games. They won ten games.
Speaker 2: You change a couple of things, the results are a lot different.
Speaker 3: Justin fields is the new Jets quarterback? Love that two years?
Speaker 1: Forty million dollars, thirty million dollars guaranteed. I was one of the more like, I don't want to react to the reactions all the time, but some of the most surprising reactions I saw today were people thinking that, wow, that much money for Justin Fields, and I was like, that's a that's great money for Justin Field. First of all, it's half as much as Sam Donald. That seems appropriate, I mean after the Donald season. But it's like, it's not a lot. It's twenty million dollars per year, it's thirty guaranteed. This is another one year type of deal, and I think, considering the market that was out there, a better option. I would much rather have Justin Fields on this contract and get off of Aaron Rodgers, which they're going to do, than keeping Aaron Rodgers or really going after any other free agent quarterback that was available. They didn't have amazing options. I think this one is pretty intriguing for a few reasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and shout out to former Patriot, former Raider Marshall Newhouse. On social media webskype blue Sky pointed out that this is the rate to be the starting quarterback of a team that's going through the rebuild. All right, there's going to be a lot that's put on Justin Fields as this team tries to find out what they want to be, what they're going to be. And yeah, thirty million guaranteed, because that's where I start. It is a dangerous trend that we're going on where there's contracts that have quote in guarantees, but some of those guarantees are conditional, and I ask the question, guarantees are conditional, it's not a guarantee. But anyway, that's just how things get reported. Sometimes. I think thirty million over the course of two years to get a guy who has made plays like a top five rusher in the league since twenty twenty one at the quarterback position, and he hasn't necessarily played that many games. He's ever in six yards of carry and we never really got to see what the passing game could look like for Justin Fields because he lost his job by.
Speaker 1: The Here here's what he has in New York. Four fifths of a pretty good offensive line. I think on paper, Olufashenu look good at tackle. The rookie last year. They need another tackle, so that's pretty important, but their interior line looks pretty solid. Number one true number one receiver in Garrett Wilson in a really intriguing backfield in Breese Haall and Braylen Allen. That field adds to and you just have a feeling they're going to be a run for his offense. They have a defensive minded head coach. I think it could be fun and I think they could add to it in the draft. And maybe it speaks a little bit to where the are in the draft and not believing necessarily that should here Sanders is going to be available or that he's going to be their future quarterback. But who knows, Like if you told me they wind up taking Sanders at seven, like this signing certainly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty million dollars doesn't necessarily change that.
Speaker 3: The math has changed. We just have to get used to it.
Speaker 1: And I include myself in that because there's a couple of contracts today that I was like, whoa, the cap is going up. Just for some examples, bj Hill sixteen million dollars guaranteed, okay, and he's a rotational defensive tackle two two at Well gets the ten million dollar contract Diommy Brown, who had you know three four hundred dollars?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: If those guys are worth ten million dollars Justin Fields, who's probably going to be starting Week one for your team and showed a lot of potential, is worth twenty. It's just it's just how it goes like that is now between a starting quarterback and a backup quarterback. There's always been that market. It's a small market, and Justin Fields that's that's now where that market is. I think it's f fascinating though by all accounts, the Steelers wanted.
Speaker 3: To keep Justin Fields over Russell Wilson.
Speaker 1: And I think the credit that everyone gave Mike Tomlin for benching Russell Wilson ultimately blew up in their face. Right Well, I think he flamed out and they couldn't keep Fields because I bet if they had stuck with Fields the whole time, he wouldn't be leaving them for the Jets. But why would he be loyal to the Steelers and give him the Tomlin discount that he players like to give.
Speaker 2: And also it feels like discounted on. Some blame was perhaps Arthur Smith's management of things as they went on, where we don't really know what could have come from either of those guys last year in Pittsburgh, where it just the offense fell apart. It seemed out of sync to an extent that a lot of it was the schedule and they were just playing better teams down the stretch, true, including playoff teams, but just weird.
Speaker 1: It's like when six years from now we'll look back and be like, remember that year Justin Fields and Russell Wilson where the quarterbacks in Pittsburgh, And I think it blew up a little in their face because it doesn't sound like they want Russell Wilson back. It sounds like Aaron Rodgers is going to go to the Steelers of the Giants. We're not going to spend much time on that because at some point it'll happen and we'll just talk about it there. But it really seems like he is now the top name available at quarterback. Those are the two teams that are interested in him. We'll see what happens. The Jets, by the way, also gave Brandon Stevens three years thirty six million dollars. Again, I want to see the structure in all that. But a cornerback that was picked on more than just about anyone in the league for the Ravens last year.
Speaker 3: But if Aaron Glenn likes him.
Speaker 1: I tend to trust Aaron Glenn, so that's an interesting sign, and he's kind of replacing DJ Reid. More on him in a minute. All right, let's get back to the Tunsil trade. This is the other really big item in terms of a name value. He goes from the Houston Texans to the Washington Commanders. They swapped fourth round picks in terms of the years, let's just ignore that and simplify it. Laramie Tunsel essentially got traded to the Commanders for a second, a third, and a seventh, and he got traded for a lot more when he went from Miami to Houston, and he looked like a potential future Hall of Famer, and who knows, he's got five Pro Bowls and he had a really great run in Houston coming off his worst year ton of fallse starts. Maybe not consistent in the run game like they want him, but anyone that knows anything would say he's one of the best pass protectors in the entire NFL. And that's why he costs so much. A second, a third, and a seventh, and everyone's like, this is what you do with a rookie quarterback. You have him on that contract, you take advantage by being aggressive. And I'm thinking, what about the Texans. They've got a pretty great quarterback on a rookie contract.
Speaker 3: Oh, what makes some sense of this to me?
Speaker 2: Well, we had discussed right in our AFC South preview the hopes for the Houston Texans that were directly tied to having money in cash available where they need help it wide receiver. They have to make these changes. The protection up front that wasn't Laramie Tunseel wasn't necessarily great. How much of that was going on the offensive coordinator, how much of that was going on the offensive line coach. They made both of those changes. That was their spot to create space was shipping out Laramie Tunsel. So now that they've done that, once the play started, and again I understand, the fall starts back you off five yards. They put you in bad situations, it becomes must pass situation. But once the play was going, it was less than three sacks allowed by Lamy Tunsil. It's like, you can't take that away, but the Texans have. They have sent it away to the benefit of Jayden Daniels and now they've got the one problem to fix. But then they've given themselves another one to do it.
Speaker 1: I think it can be a good trade for both sides. Obviously, Washington has to be excited for the next couple of years with Tunsil. A second and a third are significant in a league where guys just aren't going for raft picks, teams are so low to give up those draft picks. A second and a third is a real thing, and the Texans have been had a lot of extra draft picks. And when these trades happen, it's really all about the contract, and it's strategic. And I think the Texans were at a point where they knew after this year they would have had to address Laramie Tunzel. They were not going to address Laramie Tunzel. They have to pay Will Anderson, they have to pay c. J. Stroud, they have other priorities, and for whatever reason, let's get some draft picks for him now. And then I flashed back to this Texans Jets Sunday night recap I did with with Seth Pain and there were some low moments in the Texans season, and he knows ball. Former ballplayer would absolutely say what you're saying about Tunsel.
Speaker 3: In the passing game, it was dry the tackles.
Speaker 1: He didn't say it by name, but he said the tackles on this Texans team and what they're doing in the run game, we're driving him crazy, like miss and that could have been coaching. That's where it's a little where he's miss assignments, effort just getting blown up, and Tunsel was part of that. So that just stuck in my mind is maybe that's part of it. I don't think it was a leadership thing. Everyone says he was very well respected in the locker room, and sometimes it could make sense for both sides. I do think strategically, let's give it some time with the Texans. Let's see what happens. They did get a couple picks. I want to stay on board with this Texans crew because I think they've been pretty well run. So I'm going to give them a little benefit of the doubt while we're here. Let's just mention the other Texans thing. They have this thing where they just go hog wild on like the lowest tier of free agencies, but they do it. On day one, they signed Derek Barnett, Braxton Barrios, Sheldon Rankins, treymont Smith, Darryl Taylor and Justin Watson. If you don't know what positions those guys play like, you're you probably not alone. Barnett, Rankins on the defensive line, Darryl Taylor too, Barrios and Watson like fourth, fifth receiver types, special teams guys.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is just Casario's move and he's going to do it. I just thought I would mention that they were the only team doing anything like that on Monday. I also will mention the Commanders, since we're here, one of the most surprising contracts of the entire day. I would actually pick it as the most surprising, and you can give me your answer by the end of the show.
Speaker 3: What's your most surprising con.
Speaker 1: I would give it to Javon Kinlaw getting a massive deal from the Commanders. I just I didn't see it coming. Thirty million dollars guaranteed. Again, like when people are getting on Justin Fields for getting that much money. Javon Kimla got more overall over three years, he got paid like a total of I think seven million of it like last year from the Jets, and I didn't think they were that happy with him, So I don't know that was just surprising them. Yeah, I didn't see that coming.
Speaker 2: My media thought it was kind of the same that Bill Barberwle had over on Blue Guar was well, why not Jonathan Allen for a year instead of Javon Kinlaw. But it's and the Commanders and Adam Peters did get the Laramie Tunsel trade done, because at at one point I was like, are we gonna announce lev Az Stadium coming over to the RFK?
Speaker 1: Right, Kimla former forty nine or last year was with the Jets, but Peters was with him in San Francisco, and.
Speaker 2: So like, you wonder, like how much the relationships play into that or if it was just purely the evaluation they felt like he was being misused over the past couple of years in spots elsewhere. But yeah, kind of a surprise what the connection makes.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna pretend I was breaking down all the kin Law film. Jets fans didn't seem overly happy with him or reporters, and he didn't pop at all, So that just surprised me. Didn't expect him to be so early in the show. But we got the Commanders in with Tunsel, so we got that, and let's talk about what the Patriots did.
Speaker 3: Everyone thought the Patriots, they're just.
Speaker 1: Gonna go crazy in free agency, and then they can't get Ronnie Stanley and they can't do get Chris Godwin done. And I saw a tweet from a Patriots reporter and they said, look, you know, and I made a bad tweet too. I was like, the Patriots can't give away their money right now. But but I saw another tree from the Patriots looking like, man, you wonder who the Patriots are going to get because they're really swinging and missing on this first wave of free agency. And it was ten thirty am on the West coast. Free agency started at nine a m. Guess what a few hours later they had spent a lot of that money. Oh my god, Milton Williams the number one guy on my board. After the tags got applied to t Higgins and Tray Smith of the Chiefs. There four years, one hundred and four million dollars for Milton Williams, an emerging defensive tackle who played the best football of his life by far late last season, especially in the playoffs, especially in the NFC Championship game. In the Super Bowl, Carlton Davis goes at the top of the cornerback market three years, fifty four million, about thirty six million dollars guaranteed. Robert Splaine, who had a nice little come up under Antonio Pierce the last couple of years, like Carlton Davis, almost thirty years old, linebacker, playmaker, he signs with the Patriots.
Speaker 3: Morgan Moses, the.
Speaker 1: Tackle who's just kind of bounced around, is almost like a replacement level, like you're not going to get too excited, but he plays pretty well.
Speaker 3: Morgan Moses.
Speaker 1: I put him on them on the Patriots, by the way, on that forties in free Agent show where we're trying to build what they're going to do in free agency.
Speaker 3: So got that one right.
Speaker 1: They also added Josh Dobbs, by the way, Josh Dobbs is going to be in the mix there with Joe Milton as the backup. And Mac Collins is a New England Patriot. Two years, eight million dollars for Mac Collins. Wow, that was a lot by the Patriots in day one. Is it? Is it going to be looked back on like that last Belichick spending spree. I don't know if you remember that year when it was John hus Smith Hunter Henry, but there was a couple more and they then mostly didn't go well.
Speaker 2: No, it's a different regime. It's a new era for the Patriots. Although when Carlton Davis came out and said, you know, no discounts of trying to get money, I did think, like always going to New England, like that was the first thing. If all Carlton Tavis said that, and then if someone were to just watch as postseason, they would think that Milton is the best player in the world and so like that that money is deserved and owed. It's gonna be interested to see when the snap counts go up what the production is going to be like for Milton Williams because it's difficult to project that. But this team needs talent. You know, they're they're not done. And I'll say, like if you miss out on Ronnie Stanley and Chris Godwin like two career one year, I mean one team guys Like I don't know, like if you set your sights to to those type of players where they're ultimately going to go back regardless, like you're gonna miss out sometimes and these other guys were realistically leaving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it raises the floor some of these moves are gonna go terrible. That's just how it goes when you spend a lot of not Matt, I think it's one of the reasons why the Eagles have been so good is they spend to the cap every year and it allows them to make mistakes like a Bryce Huff or a Jahan Dotson for more of the year. The dots and showed up at the end in that trade because they take about ten swings and if you go seven for ten or you go, you know, five for eight, six for eight, like, you're still adding five or six good players. And that's why you spend to the cap, and the Patriots did need to spend. I think it's tough that you're getting a lot older. I add Harold Landry was my least favorite of all these, and that was on yesterday's show. You Know Splain Davis Morgan Moses, Harold Landry. I think it's safe to say those guys are probably have their best days behind them, Like they're all twenty nine to thirty or older. Landry's not quite there, and so you're not getting guys in the middle of their prime. Milton Williams is more of a free agent that I think is worth the gamble even though it's a lot of money. Although we haven't seen the guaranteed money. That's usually a sign that it's a little less than you expect. We haven't seen the structure there. He got four for one oh four. Is it really like a two year deal wouldn't be surprising And he's a risk, I get it. Mike Tanier had a great stat which you know, he had a career high at seventeen pressures in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: At the time.
Speaker 1: In the first half of the twenty twenty four season, sixteen pressure is pretty good. The final six weeks of the regular season seventeen, Oh wow, we're getting crazy. In the playoffs he got fourteen like even crazier. So he was the anti Sam Bradford. He made a lot of money late. I still think he would have made a good amount of money because people who know ball watch him and he's got a lot of potential. Is it going to change what they do at number four? You don't go for Mason Graham? Maybe not, but I think he's a guy worth taking and ultimately, even though I think it's only like pushing them to be closer to mediocre, I do think you got to spend that money.
Speaker 3: That's what the cap space is for.
Speaker 2: That's what it's for, and that's why the idea that they shouldn't rite the idea that you got to keep cap space and try to carry it. Now, that's why I always try to make the case for a draft abolition, because the team should be trying, should be trying to win. We don't want to incentivize people to root for losing. So go out there, spin to the cap, do cap shit, cannery like the Saints, like if you if you mess up, who cares.
Speaker 1: They're just trying to get professional. I think in a perfect world, you know they are like the Commanders, They're not going to have that success. But I think the Commanders, who signed about twenty free agents last year, hit on seven or eight of them, and they were just veterans who could play football at the professional level. I think the Patriots are playing a little bit more of a tax here in free agency. They're hoping Carlton Davis is a difference maker. I had Carlton Davis in my top twelve free agents because I think if he's healthy, he can play. And you know who else agrees, like the Detroit Lions. They outbid Carlton Davis. Supposedly, the Lions extended pretty far to get Carlton Davis, and they had a line they were not going to go over, and the Patriots just topped them from whatever it was going to be, maybe a couple million dollars per year, maybe it was five million dollars. Guaranteed. They're getting older, but they're getting spicier. You know, they're trying. Let's take a quick break here on this show of NFL Daily. We have a lot of signings to go. Eric is looking at me and he's wondering, like, is this show gonna be ninety eight minutes?
Speaker 3: No, Eric, it's not. Back on NFL Daily.
Speaker 1: Chris Godwin reportedly left twenty million dollars on the table. We're not leaving any money on the table, Patrick, We're going after it.
Speaker 2: I'd just like to see it. I know that Chris Godwin is a very good football player and deserves everything. That the number in the sixty six range. So does that mean the number was in the eighty six range?
Speaker 1: I mean maybe it was. This is how I look at stuff like that. Maybe the Patriots offered four for eighty six or something. You know what I mean, Instead of three six, it was a longer deal.
Speaker 2: Fourth year that was never gonna happen in any real.
Speaker 1: Lif or maybe or maybe it was three for eighty six, but that third year is unlikely. The thing that I love is that Chris Godwin got paid forty four million dollars guaranteed. So the Patriots probably helped push that number up, and they weren't the only team. The Jaguars were in on Chris Godwin as well. It's probably a two year, forty four million dollar deal for Chris Godwin essentially. But what I love and Jason Light to me is just one of the best general managers in the game for many reasons.
Speaker 2: There's another note for you, Jason, he said, one of all right.
Speaker 1: Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Levonte David have played a combined thirty two years on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. How cool is that it's an entertainment product? Patrick, These are great Buccaneers, great players, and they found a way to keep them. And I think they run their organization in such a way that these players want to stay and maybe you know, and they are passing up somebody, So like, kudos to everyone I like it.
Speaker 3: That's that's my big take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you shouldn't have to like hold somebody hostage and deny trade requests and ultimately overpay to keep them. If you're a fan of a player and a team and you've got that, like, you should want to see those guys stick around. You don't want to be a Titans fan watching aj hoist Lombardi in an Eagles jersey or see Derek Henry running down right himself. Like, if you've got good players, you acquire the talent and then you utilize that talent and shout out to Jason light and the Bucks were doing.
Speaker 1: He comes from the Patriots, and yet I don't think he has that. You know, everyone has a certain value and cut throw and cut him a year before you know it's too late, and.
Speaker 3: Like it's worked out. Mike Evans is still Mike Evans.
Speaker 1: I think Chris Godwin, everyone's gonna see that, and I think it's gonna be a contract.
Speaker 3: The age is fine this year.
Speaker 1: Maybe is not gonna be Pete Godwin coming off that injury early in the season, but he'll get there.
Speaker 3: And even Leavonte David.
Speaker 1: You just respect the guys that have helped you along the way, and I think the respect goes both ways. And I think that Buccaneers team not just well run, but I think they got a lot of potential this year. They also got a Sun Reddick, interesting deal. They don't like to spend a lot of long term money, but give a son Reddick a shot one for twelve.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of people forgot that a Son Reddick eventually did come back and start playing football for the Jets last season. He probably essentially paid six million dollars to not pay to not play for the Jets for the first bit, but finishmen ultimately played ten games. A lot of guys that didn't play ten games last year.
Speaker 3: It was a huge need for the Bucks.
Speaker 1: Their edge rushers have been below average the last couple of years. And again, this is the best use of cap space. I think these veterans give him a shot. Did not look great with the Jets. It was a lost season. And yet if you think about a year ago, if he was on my free agency list coming off where he was in Philadelphia, he would have been in the top five. Like he was a better player than Josh Sweat on the same team of Josh sweat and Josh Swett is signing for exponentially more money, and it makes sense. Jeff Swet's a good signing, but I just think this could end up being a nice value and if it doesn't work out, it was a chance worth taking. The Bears continued their offensive line makeover and then they got involved with the defensive line as well. So after picking up two guards over the last week, they sign a center, Drew Dolman, my number one center on the market, three years, forty two million dollars twenty eight million dollars guaranteed. While we're here, let's talk Deo Odengbo from the Colts, who we mentioned on this podcast. Tom Peli Sarah mentioned was going to be a guy that maybe got paid a little more than people expected. Top forty on my list, thirty two million dollars guaranteed for him, three for forty eight. And then Grady Jarrett, who in the span of the what is it twenty one hours since we taped NFL Daily got cut and signed three years, forty three million, twenty eight point five million dollars fully guaranteed. Just some context for Jarrett, I think when something happens that late him getting cut Monday morning and then signing a few hours later. My guess is they were trying to trade him to the Bears, and it was a bit of a stare off and the Bear they knew the Bears were interested, and the Bears are like, now we're just gonna We're just gonna wait for you to cut them. Bro, we've got a deal all worked out.
Speaker 3: That's just my guess. I have zero information, but I think that's probably what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good vibes based yess on how this transpires, where you know, sometimes these.
Speaker 1: It was like three hours later he got cut and then he had this deal done three hours later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where you know, everybody's having conversations and it is a you know, a negotiating window. But sometimes things happen a little too quick to have not been previously discussed.
Speaker 1: What do you think about I mean, the Bears, they weren't kidding when Ryan Pols was on this show, said we're going to be aggressive attacking free agency and fixing that offensive line. Jonah Jackson via trade, Joe Tene Toney via trade, Drew Dolman on in free agency, and they suddenly have an offensive line they could still be looking at tackle in the draft, but they have Bracton Jones Darnel right at left and right tackle, and man, they went after it. And then I'm surprised Jarrett got that much money, I really am, because he was coming off a serious injury last year. The Falcons, obviously, I think, would want to keep Grady Jarrett. He's a lifetime Falcon and they didn't believe in him, but the Bears did, and he'll fit next to Girvan Dexter. Those are kind of different types of players. I think Jarret at this point in the career, maybe they're viewing him as more of like he's going to be the run stopper. He's not going to be the upfield penetrator quite as much. And next to Dexter, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the skill set remains there with Grady Jarrett, perhaps in spots. Maybe the number of snaps isn't necessarily what it was during his prime in Atlanta. But the Bears in terms of addressing needs, because doing it in the draft is so difficult because you can't like need is a very bad talent evaluator because you wait around, you don't know if the guy that you wanted a certain spot is going to ultimately be there. They're still dealing with the impacts of trades as well draft wise, So go ahead and fill these needs right now and take the best player available and on the interior offensive line able to move, guy's getting a center as well. How do you not grate it positively?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dolman is a guy who I think you're more excited about in the running game than the passing game. And I think that's going to be a focus for Ben Jonson, is establishing this running game. Because to me, that's why you give Drew Dolman the money that he got.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 1: It actually was fairly reasonable in this market and offensive lineman twenty eight million dollars guaranteed to start. That actually shows me his market wasn't as crazy as I expected. It's basically a two for twenty eight type of deal, and that's fine to get a starter. And when I spoke about Jarrett, I, look, there's been a lot going on today. I meant to say, you think of Jerry at this point of his career, Garon Dexter is going to be that run stopper there. Jared's going to be next to him, just kind of trying to upfield get the penetration special. Yeah, rush type of guy, and so he could maybe look better with a guy like Dexter and next to him. So I'm correcting myself there. The Panthers were looking to spend a lot of money. They reported Lee were in on Milton Williams to the point where the Athletic reported that it was it was a done deal that they agreed to terms and then the Patriots ended up coming over the top, or maybe that just never was the case and getting Milton Williams, but they did spend a lot of money On Monday, Travon Morig, who we talked a lot about over the last couple of weeks, a safety from the Raiders gets fifty one million dollars over three years. I know there were a number of teams in on him.
Speaker 2: J C.
Speaker 1: Horn before free agency even started, got a hundred million dollars, a ton of guarantees. We said it in our NFC South preview that he was really the one young player on their roster worth investing in long term, and so they got that done before free agency even started. Hasn't played a lot of games, so a little bit of a risk, but an outstanding young player. And then they signed bob be Brown three for twenty one, the former Rams player. I was surprising to me. Definitely a rotational guy, Pat Jones from Minnesota. So it's a lot of just beef up front. There's some conflicting reports maybe on Turshaun Wharton from the Chiefs, whether he's going to join the Panthers or not. So we will see on that one. But what do you think about the Panthers spending spree?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense considering what was available. I'm the number on JC Horn Like, I'm gonna need to see some details. I know. The discussion right was that it's one of the highest paid deals for defensive back in NFL history. I just citation perhaps needed on that. I do like bringing Tommy Trumble back, Like you get Tommy Trumble for two years, ten and a half minute.
Speaker 3: That's another one too. Yeah, it feels like a.
Speaker 2: Solid value add and yeah, we'll get Bobby Brown some more playing time to see where things go. But if you're looking for like the it, yeah for Carolina, I have not seen it yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was, it's all the highest paid defensive back in history. That doesn't seem totally accurate. We need to see the things, but that that's how the agency is probably spinning it. We'll see I like I like Tron morg We'll see on the Triffshawn Wharton deal. That would be a fun combination. But I don't want to get ahead of ahead of myself here.
Speaker 2: It is got Mike Jackson back.
Speaker 3: Mike Jackson is.
Speaker 1: Another one like just so many deals two for fourteen for for Mike Jackson, who played pretty well at cornerback for them. It is really funny being in this blue sky, a little bit of Twitter environment.
Speaker 3: But in the news and all this and.
Speaker 1: Things get reported, you really have to know which insiders you want to trust.
Speaker 3: There's some there's some reports that are.
Speaker 1: Coming out there and they're just on an island of insider island, and that's not a good place to be if they're on the inside or island. Don't join them. Wait wait for the guys in Gouxy trust.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Team rap Sheet, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Don't don't come like I know, don't talk to me in Starbucks.
Speaker 3: That's right, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like, you better try to leave what he came with.
Speaker 1: You know, look, what was the insiders were given over the last couple of weeks was that the Chargers were going to be really aggressive trying to keep Khalil Mack and that he would have a strong market.
Speaker 3: That turned out to be absolutely true. He got eighteen million dollars.
Speaker 1: I find it interesting that they hard chose Khalil Mack over Joey Bosa. They essentially are eating some of Joey Bosa's contract and they're paying partly to get rid of them, to pay more money to Khalil Mack, who's older. Shout out to Khalil Mack for just the longevity of an outstanding career, and the Chargers who know him best saying we want that guy.
Speaker 3: We do not want to lose that guy.
Speaker 2: I kind of wondered if if Khalil Mack was considering the need in Chicago at Edge, would would be open to going back to Chicago. Yeah, a certain point, but.
Speaker 1: They got like the opposite type of player. I'm glad you mentioned that though, because a Dingbo is just like not a run stepper stopper at all, but is pure pass rush. You're like whirling fury and is a nice little compliment to Monte Sweat.
Speaker 2: But yeah, even considering Khalil Mack's age, he would be able to set edges in this league into his into his forties, well into his force.
Speaker 1: Play him like a little less because the last couple of seasons there's been a trend where the first twelve weeks of the season he's one of the best defensive ends in the in the league. And it just just you're asking a lot from the Charges. By the way, we'll see if it happens by the time you guys listen to this or by the time we take another show supposedly in on Nase Harris.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 1: But they haven't closed the deal yet. They brought back tier Tart a good deal for them. They're just five million dollars who played well for them, and Dante Jackson, who's moved around at the bottom of the cornerback market two for thirteen.
Speaker 3: Smart move.
Speaker 1: If you're Dante Jackson's agent, I have a feeling this Jesse Mint or Jim harbad defense. It's like you put him in on the Chargers and suddenly they have a lot more value. I think they made a a bunch of free agents, including poona Ford a lot of money this year, not that Puna doesn't deserve it.
Speaker 3: We might as well go there, Poona. Ford got three for thirty.
Speaker 1: But from the Rams they also brought back Jimmy Garoppolo, another weirdly reported contract. Ultimately, it's only like a four or five million dollar deal with a ton of incentives in at nine million dollars that probably, you know, helps Jimmy G out if for some reason he has to start a long time and play as well if Matthew Stafford gets hurt, but Jimmy G back is the backup and.
Speaker 2: Good get Davante in first and then sign.
Speaker 3: It is really funny.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch Receiver in the end, but I watched the social clips where DeVante just indirectly Jimmy Garoppolo and now they're back together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, reunited. Sean McVay is the Healer of relations.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Spencer Hall and he had this skit we go and tweet on Blue Sky whatever whatever. It was, just saying just talking about Jimmy G. You know what he could do, you know to really any human. It's the magic hour. He's on Sunset Boulevard. Just Jimmy G.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and poon A Ford love poon A Ford. This is where I'm talking about the charge three years thirty million. He was freely available for any team to sign in the two previous seasons. Do you want to guess how much he made combined in the last two seasons when he was on my free agency list, by.
Speaker 2: The way, like seven million dollars.
Speaker 1: Less less than five million dollars. And now he goes three for thirty and yet the way he played last year, I think every team is kind of looking for those run stoppers up front, so you can go a little lighter. I know the Rams will like to do that. They have these great pass rushers. Now you can put this great pen, you know, just this force in the middle around all those young guys. Like that move for the Rams. I mentioned the Lions being in on Carlton Davis. Ultimately they settle for DJ Reid. I think they had a price, and maybe this was it. Three for forty eight for DJ Reid thirty two million dollars guaranteed really not much less than Carlton Davis just about three million dollars guaranteed less six million dollars over in the over all deal. Two guys I had right next to each other on my top one one. Apparently the Lions are thinking the same. We're just two two ball knowers, me and the Lions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right right there, Brad Holmes, Greg Rosenthal's it just makes sense.
Speaker 3: Jets cornerback DJ Reid, I should mention.
Speaker 1: I do want to, you know understand that, Like DJ Read's not a household name, He's a guy who arrived from Seattle. One of the best free agent contracts I would say of the last five years on the defensive side was DJ Reid to the Jets. Fantastic production. You do worry about You want to get him on that second contract that was a little cheaper actually than necessarily the third contract. As a cornerback gets old, the same thing with Carlton Davis. He's getting older too, We'll see. But DJ Reid was outstanding last year. Like you play across from Sauce Gardner and you.
Speaker 2: Haven't give a lot of action over there.
Speaker 3: Literally, he was.
Speaker 1: Targeted more than any cornerback in the league, and all the numbers say he held up about as well as any cornerback in the league.
Speaker 3: So I like that move with the Lions.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the offensive lineman got paid segment checks of the show The Titans. They give Dan Moore, the former Steelers left tackle, fifty million dollars guaranteed on an eighty two million dollar four year deal. This was that first contract of free agency early where everyone just started, you know, making jokes.
Speaker 3: Are you going to make jokes?
Speaker 2: I'm not necessarily going to make jokes. I'm glad Dan's going to get an opportunity to be to be compensated and play for a team that potentially is going to take, you know, their quarterback of the future number one overall. Perhaps this means that they're not done that Maybe.
Speaker 1: I mean they're done at left tackle. I would think they just gave them fifty million dollars guaranteed.
Speaker 2: You know, there's there's options, right, it can be moved on to the other side, you can get another guy. I don't know. I'm trying not to be derogatory, but it's it's tough considering the production in the last.
Speaker 1: Year's He's a guy who's the Steelers were always looking to replace but couldn't find someone better to replace. So even though it's a lot of money, I actually put this in the same bucket as some of those Patriots signings, like he can play tackle, Like he's just a lot more money than Morgan Moses, but he's a lot younger, so it's more like four years of a Morgan Moses level of just replacement level starter. And they do have Brian Callahan's dad running the show here, and so you're paying a premium to settle with a guy that's probably closer to average.
Speaker 3: But you have more.
Speaker 1: You have JC Latham, who I think they wanted to move back to right tackle, so now he probably moves over there. He was a top ten pick. You have Scronsky who they drafted high. You have Lloyd Kushenberry. Suddenly your offensive line is looking okay, you have an offensive line coach. And I think it's just they got to spend that cap space too. They almost have too much space and can't find so it's just filling a spot. It's just like a little too much money.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: He clearly had a market. Yeah, it doesn't go there in a vacuum. Other teams were willing to pay him. It's telling that the Steelers were not one of those teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you just have to evaluate it with the the cap going up, and considering that there's a premium to pay to not have to be overly concerned with a need at that position at this point in the offseason, and you can have somebody over there that's played a lot of football. You know, maybe the offensive situation in Pittsburgh wasn't necessarily that great, and we didn't get the tape, but the Callahans know, and they can evaluate talent up front and they know something the rest of us.
Speaker 3: Store, or they can coach it up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's a positive and now feel bad Titans fans are upset when I made a joke about it. I want to update you on something that's breaking as we tape this. Oh, Naja Harris is joining the Chargers on a one year deal. Sources tell the insiders. How about the partnership here between the insiders. They're not even looking for credit.
Speaker 3: It's a one year deal, Naja Harris. We'll see.
Speaker 1: We heard it was going to be ahead of free agency about you know, six to eight million, but they don't have any money attached to it at least right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and an opportunity perhaps to see nase in an offense with a you know, a fully functional and supported quarterback where the needs are almost elsewhere at this point, and in the offensive needs considering the way that lad had a great rookie season. You're able to see guys like Josh Palmer walk and they're able to fill needs in other spots. So it's an exciting opportunity for the Chargers and for Nase.
Speaker 1: I'm told he's getting nine point twenty five million. I want to see the all the deals on that up to nine two point twenty five million. So the up to is often doing a lot of work. I'm gonna guess seven in like two and a half, that's been generous, six to seven and you know.
Speaker 2: Some incentives, some incentives five base.
Speaker 1: But as the president of the Nase Harris Fan Club, you gotta be thrilled because I think that's a great spot for a running back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a it's a good spot with a quarterback who's yeah, again, fully supported. I would you know, my qualms with the Greg Roman offense are passionately stated, but the one thing that's going to do is put Nause in a position to get the ball moving downhill and play the way that he needs to play. And so it's a chance for an offensive player to be liberated from his you know, previous regime.
Speaker 1: You know what Herbert is great at. What's that mix and tempo? Playing fast? If he wants to, we got to challenge ourselves to do that the rest of the show, because yes, there's more transactions on this show than literally any other. And so I don't mind if it's a little long, but it is time.
Speaker 2: We'll get you your time back.
Speaker 1: We're gonna We're gonna go. Aaron Banks four years, seventy seven million dollars. He's a guard who played the last handful of seasons his entire rookie contract for the forty nine Ers as a starter was a late round pick. I admit I ranked him too low in my top one oh one. He ended up at ninety eight. I'm glad I got him in there. He got massive money. The Packers also gave Nate Hobbs, who was on our friend Ali Connolly's list the free agents he would like to sign.
Speaker 3: And I like that pick too. I thought I had him rated quite high on my list.
Speaker 1: Four years, forty eight million dollars in the abs slot cornerback for the Packers was with the Raiders previously. But yeah, man, like if you I don't know if your son Malcolm is going to be built to play football or not, but just just keep feeding them, get him to play guard. Yeah, if you're just like a halfway decent guard, you're going to get twenty million dollars a year.
Speaker 2: Well, the issue is a lot of these guards were tackles, and you know that's a part of the evaluation as well, So you still have to be able to get that evaluation. But it's We talked about the departure from Santa Clara earlier today on The Insiders, like it's real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk about it while we're here. Just Banks, Aaron Banks, who was their starting guard. I don't think they were extending to sign him. Diebo got traded last week. Of course, taloneou Funga we haven't mentioned, but he's going to the Broncos. So is Drake green Law. We'll talk about them in a second. Elijah Mitchell is gone, Charvarius Ward is gone. Jalen Moore, their left tackle in waiting behind Trent Williams is now the left tackle of the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: That is a lot going out the window.
Speaker 1: What is happening with the San Francisco this offseason, got a free up space for double Bosa. They are resetting. They are resetting now. I don't think they're going to try to compete, but they are resetting. They are not paying some of the guys that you would expect them to pay.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 1: On the Packers, I think there was a couple of players they maybe missed out on. Man, that's a lot of money for Aaron Banks. But when they lost Elkton Jenkins in that playoff game and everything kind of fell apart against Philadelphia, they really trying to improve their depth. Bill's had a weird day. Josh Palmer got eighteen million dollars guaranteed at wide receiver three for thirty six. You know, when Jeremiah's in this studio kind of being like, Eh, Palmer's just the guy that doesn't make me feel great. And then Michael Hoyt, who's a nice role player for the ra as a like list it as a defensive tackle, and yet I remember him, you know, covering tight ends and running backs in space three for twenty four from the Bills, two of the signings of the day.
Speaker 3: I was like, huh, okay, Bhils, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Asked for my biggest surprise of free agency three for thirty for Josh Palmer. Yeah. I wasn't mentally prepared for that, considering the right things have looked.
Speaker 1: Okay, So eighteen million dollars guaranteed when we get to see it eventually, is it closer to well, eighteen guaranteed. Is it closer to two for eighteen or two for twenty? The crazy thing is, and we're trying to figure this out. In terms of veterans, I think of rotational three slash four that's about the price now is ten million dollars.
Speaker 3: So I think I just have to wrap my mind around it. Is he a good one of those or not?
Speaker 1: He ultimately didn't step up when the Chargers were really hoping to have him step up with a new coaching staff, a good coaching stuff last year, so we will see.
Speaker 3: The weirdest trade of the day was the Browns and the Eagles. How he did it again?
Speaker 1: The Browns traded a fifth and Dorian Thompson Robinson, who I'd rather have than Kenny Pickett for Kenny Pickett.
Speaker 2: You would rather have dtr than Kenny Picktt.
Speaker 3: I don't want Kenny.
Speaker 2: I'm prepared to say a lot of things about Kenny Pickett, but considering the way things have for DTR and est si Leiano pointed out that the one DTR win came against Kenny Pickett and the Steelers. But that being said, it's been a rough go for DTR in Cleveland, and I'm just wondering, why why either of these guys?
Speaker 1: Well, why a fifth round? Fifth round? Why is a fifth round pick involved? I know it's only a fifth round pick. By the way, everyone should check out our friend Andrews new YouTube show at Ceciliano Show, huge fan, why.
Speaker 3: Are you giving up a fifth for Kenny Pickett at all?
Speaker 1: I'm standing by my take, not that I think DTR has been impressive, but I was so unimpressed. I Canny Pickett in Philadelphia, which is the best place to be a quarterback. And by the way, this is a vote of confidence for Tanner McKee, who I think is gonna have a good career as a backup. I bet DTR and Philadelphia will look better than Kenny Pickett looked in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the Giants.
Speaker 1: Paulson a debo, the former Saint who's coming off a serious injury, gets three years, thirty million dollars. Curious on the structure of that because it also said pending a physical when the team released it, and he is coming off a big injury, so that one is just keeping an eye on it. Roy Robertson Harris goes to the Giants, Darius Slayton, this cracked me up. Is back on three years, thirty six million dollar contract.
Speaker 2: He can't get away, which makes me believe that they have told Darius, you know, a quarterback might be impending.
Speaker 1: What you think Darius Slayton is dictating terms of quarterbacks in a year.
Speaker 2: No, I just I just think Darius Slayton could have had a great opportunity to go be successful somewhere else, and he was convinced to come back to New York where he has led them in receiving for every season that he's been in the league except for the one, and it's almost been despite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they always bury him. I shout out to the guys at the podcast talking Giants. I enjoy that, but they always laugh because every coaching staff tries to put Slayton as the number four guy, the number three guy. They don't want to bring him back. Then a GM doesn't like him, and then every year he's literally the best receiver on the team until Molik Nighbors show up, and then he was the second best receiver, and the Giants are like, you know, who's pretty good and it's worth a really solid role player type of contract.
Speaker 3: Three for thirty six Darius freaking Slayton.
Speaker 2: And that's why so surprising about the Josh Palmer numbers, because if you look in your total, it's the exact same number.
Speaker 3: Satan's a much better player, I agree.
Speaker 2: And that's that's what blows my mind about. And again, Josh Palmer could be great this season and Buffalo would have all the success in the world, But it feels like Darius Slayton the football player is more valuable than this.
Speaker 1: A debo is the type of contract I often say teams should make in free agency. Number one, a guy who's show own it at the high level. He looked like a pro bowler in twenty three. Number two he's a bit of a distressed asset. And number three he's young. It's really hard actually to combine all those things. He's played well, but he's not at peak value right now. Unfortunately, it's because of an injury, but you know, we've seen NFL players respond well to injuries. It's a three year contract. I think that is a risk, if it even is one at that price worth taking. Really like that, really like the Charvarius Ward signing for the Colts three years sixty million dollars, waiting on the guaranteed for that. They also signed Cam bying them four years sixty million dollars. One of their beat writers, Nate Ackens, pointed out, these are the two biggest free agent investments in the nine year history of Chris Ballard as the general manager of the Colts. And it's not just like in the secondary, they are both the biggest investments at all in the secondary, just period free agency. They've never spent this kind of money. That's a GM who knows the top clock is tick. But two really good players. I talked about Ward as one of the free agents I would most like to go after because I think he's due for a bounce back here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two huge parts of the secondaries that they depart. And when we were talking about the Colts last week, you describe their draft strategy as they stay where they are, and I said that was an entire franchise strategy. But shout out to Chris Ballard for bucking that trend. Here. The off season for the Colts is not just blaming Anthony Richardson. They're gonna work on improving the roster, which is good.
Speaker 1: I am curious what else they're going to do. But those were two guys that I think fit into any secondary You always worry about bringing a guy in at corner or safety. Are they gonna fit what they do? And those two guys I think are very smart, very scheme versatile, welcome to JAG's corner. They were aggressive. They supposedly gave Jordan Lewis the biggest cornerback contract for a Nickel in NFL history, and it was three for thirty, And I'm like, how is that a fact?
Speaker 3: That's that's not true.
Speaker 1: First of all, Derwin James is like an ego Nate Hobbs top that I don't think that's true. I also, it's a twenty million and guarantees not guaranteed, it's up to thirty. So I think Cowboys fans that say what Jordan Lewis got, that he's coming off a good year, by the way, and is beloved as just kind of a glue guy and a locker room leader. So I like that the Jags are trying to add that. I suspect when you peak under the hood, it's not going to be nearly as much money as it looks like. Weird though, because they have two guys who already played the slot there, Jerry and Jones, a recent draft pick, and Darnell Savage. They also got Diami Brown one year, ten million dollars. Patrick McCary gets three years thirty seven million dollars, twenty million guaranteed. He was both a guard and a tackle for the Ravens. It sounds like he's getting slotted into guard, which makes doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He was thought he was better at tackle. And then Robert Hainsey, a former center for the Bucks, gets three for twenty one. So just I think I'm missing some Jag signings, but hell, we have this whole offseason to get to him if I did. Yeah, a lot of jack signings.
Speaker 2: Very very busy for the Jags, and you know, congratulations to Jordan Lewis's agent for having everybody say that this is the biggest nickel deal.
Speaker 1: Okay, we talked about the biggest deal in terms of Nickels. We actually haven't hit one of the biggest contracts of the entire day so far. We will do that after the break. It's some next level radio stuff right there. Most podcasts don't even say we're gonna have a break. Maybe we shouldn't. Like I was saying before the break, these are the moves that shapen off season. It all happens in one week and then we spend like four or five months kind of picking it over and how does it all work together. So it's just first reactions here, and my first reaction is that from the Denver Broncos is that they're just trying to rebuild the forty nine ers defense because DJ Jones, who they re signed late Sunday night, right after we finished recording a defensive tackle three years, thirty nine million dollars twenty six guaranteed.
Speaker 3: That's kind of the going rate.
Speaker 1: By the way, all the like solid five to six hundred snap defensive linemen that aren't stars but are good players, they all got about twenty six million dollars guaranteed thirteen per year.
Speaker 3: So that was just the going rate. And then, as I mentioned a little earlier, on the forty nine Ers.
Speaker 1: They bring Tellaneo Hufanga, who had a bigger market than I expected, twenty million dollars guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Safeties did pretty well. Finally in free agency.
Speaker 1: We talked about it going into free agency that off ball linebackers and safeties were really good in this class, and they did get paid three forty five for him to the Broncos. Drake Greenlaw also goes there three for thirty nine. Suddenly this is just like a nastier defense.
Speaker 3: It was already a.
Speaker 1: Good defense, and now it's got like a little extra attitude. They're not resting on their laurels.
Speaker 2: There No, and we I said it during the Insiders on Monday, if Drake Greenlaw doesn't Terry's Achilles jogging back on the field, I think the forty nine Ers win that game.
Speaker 3: I take Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if it's that hot of a take. The margins were very small. You know, the defense was impacted. I think Fred was emotional about it, and he comes back after the Achilles tear and the Achilles injury with Rogers and Cousins. I think a lot of people looked at it as being like this end and you're going to need a season. Plus Dray looked pretty good considering what he was coming back from at the end of last season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the three quarters he played where electric against the Rams. Unfortunately got hurt again with the cap, so there's a lot of risk there. And yet, Yeah, these contracts. It's funny Jamian Sherwood who signed on Sunday night for the for the Jets, he actually got more guaranteed money in his contract than Fred Warner did his last extension. And so Fred Warner is looking at like what just happened to the off ball linebacker market. So there's these cascading effects where these contracts come out and then there's going to be players around the league that aren't too happy about it. And that's that's some of the stuff we'll be talking about down the stretch. But yeah, the forty nine ers have a while off season, a total exodus, and we're being told as we're taping this, Kyle Yuschek is getting released, oh by the forty nine ers. So that's another long time forty nine er. One of the few remaining from the twenty nineteen Super Bowl run that was on the team is no longer.
Speaker 3: Let's keep it with teams you know that used to be in the Bay Area.
Speaker 1: The Raiders, they keep Malcolm Koontz on a one year, twelve thirteen million dollars deal. They watch Morig go out the door, and they signed Jeremy Chin at Safety to you know, a vastly cheaper contract.
Speaker 3: What was the what was the numbers on Chin? I don't two years up to sixteen, thank you.
Speaker 1: That's that's why we got Patrick always always rebounding my missus, you know.
Speaker 2: Well that was you know, that was my job growing up because you couldn't shoot, so you had to do that. They get Alex Kappa as well on a relatively low deal for two years and eleven million dollars. And you know, it's all positive in Vegas because they get.
Speaker 1: That you're just you're just you're just Tatum crashing the boards those big big shoulders after like a missed Peyton Pritchard three or.
Speaker 2: Something, and he's got the green light. I could not be accompised to any green lighted guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like those I like those two deals by the Raiders.
Speaker 1: I know some of their fans are upset that some good defenders are leaving Hobbs was injured at times there. I guess I just want to give Pete Carroll the benefit of the doubt, especially in terms of building a defense. They're obviously willing to spend. Let's see what the rest of their offseason looks like. The Cardinals and this was the contract I was referring to before the break we had mentioned. Josh Switt got forty one million dollars guaranteed four years, seventy seven million dollars. You can basically expect that he's getting paid about twenty million dollars a year over the next two years. They struck out on Milton Williams. They were reportedly deep into that one, and they used some of that money on Josh Sweat, who was obviously with Jonathan Gannon back in Philadelphia. And they need some defensive players so that they're not the search bar next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we learned a lot about the search bar, the shout out to, you know, the ability to learn. They get Bayarn Browning to come back, as well as Joey Blunt, and so they keep some of those guys, but they add the talent, which is where they need to be. It's just time to finally see it. And I don't think they're done.
Speaker 1: No, no, all these teams were going to be back every single day this week. They're just getting going. So don't don't give the grades. Don't be upset about what your team didn't do on Day one, Day one, Free Agents Day one, Day two, Day two, Day three, Day four.
Speaker 3: They matter too.
Speaker 1: BJ Hill is back with the Bengals, three for thirty three. Again I mentioned those rotational kind of defensive lineman. Sixteen million dollars guaranteed, very similar contract. Although you look at that and you're like, can you just give some of that money to Trey Hendrickson. Let's just figure it out your star instead of your rotational guy who's like thirty one years old. But the idea that you can do both. Because BJ Hill has been a good player for them. The Saints traded for the Patriots run stopper Devon Godshaw. They gave up a seventh round pick, and I believe they're gonna redo his contract, and he was excited. You got to name the ends in au X. That's Respot going to New Orleans and he is he is from New he is from Louisiana. Rather, that's the place to be an elite run stopper in the seasons that he's been elite, which have been more years from not and than not, and then for whatever reason, it'll have these down years and his team not too happy with him, But overall, I think they'll get good value out of him. And our our reporter slash producer Eric Roberts lets me know that Chase Young is going back to the Saints, that that's happening.
Speaker 3: As we trade. It doesn't matter. I mean, as we tape, it doesn't matter how late we tape.
Speaker 1: The these items are gonna keep coming. Are are not stopping on Monday Night. It's it's a three year, fifty one million dollars deal for Chase Young.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: I want to see the guarantees because I just can't believe that Chase Young commands more than one year of good guaranteed money. He's getting a raise off of what he got last year in free agency.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess I gotta see that it doesn't say the guaranteed money, and that's usually a bad sign for the player relatively. I'm just saying, if he's getting three years for fifty one Chase Young, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, we just talked about like your standard issue defensive time. That's fair kind of warning. Twenty six and Chase Young, you know, electing not to take because you know that you do the comp with Jadavian Clowney, maybe like a Stefan Gilmore where it's like you can get to that one year mercenary type spot. You know, Chase Young kind of saw his career kind of come back to him a little bit and he'll stay there.
Speaker 1: Somehow, only twenty five years old. This generation Sammy Watkins where you're just like, what, how He's only going to be twenty eight at the end of this deal?
Speaker 3: How is that?
Speaker 1: How is that even possible? You know, we haven't talked a lot of vikings on this show. They bring Isaiah Rodgers in from the Eagles, who is good in a supplementary role two for fifteen and just kind of as a third fourth cornerback. Ryan Kelly, the Colts center, comes in two for eighteen. Like that move for them rare value. I know there's risk with the injuries, but.
Speaker 2: It's a really good football player. And yeah, the position of lead need for a lot of folks where Okay, if it works, that's incredible. If it doesn't, it's two years, eighteen million.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Garrett Bradbury, their old first round pick, probably is getting benched or moved to guard Byron Murphy. And again I'm springing this on you, Patrick as we're taping the Pro Bowl. MVP of the Pro Bowl Games on defense is going back to Minnesota three years, sixty six million dollars. A rare guy that's getting two good free agent deals.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: He's also a rare guy who kind of bet on himself last time with a good two year deal, was hoping to get even more the next time around while he's still in his twenties.
Speaker 2: And he did it. And I was worried when you started to say his name, I'm like, wow, are they losing Murphy and Cambinel. But no, they get at least one back and that's a big part of their secondary and that they had to they had to keep some of those.
Speaker 3: He was really good.
Speaker 2: More questions, they answered, Minnesota.
Speaker 3: You know what he is.
Speaker 1: And they say this about every undersized cornerback, scrappy, feisty. He's feisty. That means he's small.
Speaker 2: All those short people sneak disses that.
Speaker 3: We see you, We see you out there. The Chiefs. The Chiefs signed Jalen Moore at left tackle. This was a surprise.
Speaker 1: He when twenty one million dollars guaranteed on a two year, thirty million dollar contract. So if you don't know who Jalen Moore is, he played at the end of last season when Trent Williams was not playing, so he got five starts, and those five starts got him thirty million dollars because otherwise he was on the bench.
Speaker 3: I kind of like the idea behind it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The Chiefs were reportedly in on Ronnie Stanley and then that didn't happen, And it's almost like when the Patriots drafted Matt Castle. It's like this guy's that had barely even been on the field, but they saw something they like and Jalen Moore and they paid him handsomely. So it's either going to be a great deal or a terrible deal. That's my prediction.
Speaker 2: It just feels like, and I know that there's sponsor they've spent elsewhere, but the Chiefs have been like bargain hunting at tackle with their generationally gifted quarterback the best of all time, and it feels like stop doing that. But yeah, whatever, I'll take it.
Speaker 1: They also signed Elijah Mitchell, the former forty nine er. There's another guy who's leaving the forty nine ers at running back. He'll just speak kind of a backup. Zach Wilson, speaking of backups, got six million dollars guaranteed to be the Dolphins quarterback. If Sean Payton and Mike McDaniel can't fix you, you can't be fixed.
Speaker 2: That was the answer to the Stidham versus Zach Wilson quarterback battle that ultimately bon Nixon was like, hey, better than both of these guys.
Speaker 1: Stidham, by the way back back with the Broncos. I forgot that one two for twelve. So Sean Payne really does like him as as a backup quarterback and good career if you can get it. Another former Bronco, Javonte Williams signed with the Cowboys. That's up to three million. That's really backup running back money. If anything, that sort of spells out to me. They could still take one in the draft, and you know, just some other little deals. Brown's will cut Dalvin Tomlinson, He'll hit my top one one. Aaron Rodgers will get cut one of these days. Evan Brown was an offensive lineman who resigned with the Cardinals. Braden Smith is back with the Colts on a rework deal a tackle and I guess one last note is it was reported nothing's really changed that Cooper Cup will be released on Wednesday. No trade has materialized. They're looking like they're just waiting till the last minute for Cooper Cup. I question if the market's going to be as strong for him as fans and other beat writers seem to think it is. People are like slotting him in as like a number one or a two or a difference maker. He's he's barely going to crack the top one oh one, and that's mostly just out of respect. But I'm putting in below Keenan Allen. I'm putting in below Mike Williams, like toward towards the bottom regions of the top one oh one, kind of a role player.
Speaker 3: I think at this point of his career, I'll.
Speaker 2: Make a case, okay for Cooper Cup two. He's not going to be at the point of impact in the run game anymore. Hopefully, if somebody's giving him a big deal, he'll be able to go out there and run routes and be a receiver, hopefully keep him on the field, limit those impacts and have him be a guy that can get open and know where he's going to be. And there's value in that. Josh Palmer again got three years, thirty six million.
Speaker 1: All right, let's stop talking until and then, you know, just to prevent anything else happening. There's there is no right time to tape the podcast Patrick, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it. So that is everything that has happened as of right now, as of ninety five Eastern time. That's when we're taping it, six forty five on the best coast out here.
Speaker 3: Let's be off with the day. Play play that music.
Speaker 2: Eric.
Speaker 3: We will be back on Tuesday. You love him, you know him.
Speaker 1: It's George Rodrigue of the Athletic and Colleen Wolf's day in the studio. We'll wrap up everything that happens on Tuesday, you know. Until then, Look when we're trying to save Zach Wilson's career again, you know, football is back.
Speaker 3: Didn't hit the post