Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Save Us Trendington. Three mm hmm, please Trendington please, it's gonna be hard Trendington in Peru. My name is Jack O'Brien. That is Miles Grand. Are some of the stories that are trending right now. I mean the big one, the Supreme Court protected abortion medication.
Speaker 2: Huh oh, let me get my glasses here, Scotus, the one with the conservative fucking hyper majority. They yeah, they just dropped the fucking hammer on that group of like religious doctors who are like, you have to limit the availability of the abortion drugs like miff for pristone and get them off the market.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But Brett Weekend at Bernie's Cavanaugh, Yeah, I just.
Speaker 3: Had to come up with that off the dome just in his decision.
Speaker 1: Beer, holy shit, like drinking beer, all right, relaxed, dude, you shouldn't even a weird what a strange time.
Speaker 3: In any normal time.
Speaker 2: That's so disqualifying, or like remember when he came at Amyklobachar's like are you drunk?
Speaker 3: And you're like, wait, what what about you? What the fuck? Anyway, basically said that this group was.
Speaker 1: Never had anybody push back on him again about anything ever.
Speaker 3: Because you can tell when they're not built for it, they start.
Speaker 2: Going like a hot you're not right anyway. So uh, he basically said that they these doctors had no standing to challenge the FDA over this issue. That they're like, it doesn't impact you personally. Quote, plaintiffs are pro life, oppose elective abortion, and have sincere legal, moral, ideological, and policy objections to MiFi pristone being prescribed and used by others. Because plaintiffs do not prescribe or use MiFi pristone. Plaintiffs are unregulated parties who seek to challenge the FDA's regulation of others. So basically going on to say, yeah, this isn't you get the fuck out of here, Yeah, this this doesn't hurt you, and like and also like the future harms you're trying to predict, like those not have not come to pass.
Speaker 3: So just no, that's it's not happening.
Speaker 2: Basically, you're not going to be able to challenge this or challenge the FDA's authority here, so you will truly have to find a new angle. Which was heartening unanimous decision to be like, no, no, we're tossing this case.
Speaker 1: But one for us, one for them, three for us, one for them, fifteen for us, one for them.
Speaker 2: There's still time for them to really fuck around with people's rights again, because they're also said to hear another abortion case from Idaho, where the state argues that, like we can, like, hospitals should be allowed to refuse treatment for people who have emergency abortions, Like.
Speaker 3: It can't just be like that the they potentially need an emergency abortion.
Speaker 2: We want these people fighting for their lives before we feel good about, you know, because they're referring to the state constitution where it's like the fetus is also a person, so we also have to consider that.
Speaker 1: The fetus needs to be our mayor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, but wait, don't hold your breath, because that may happen and this may or may not end up as a loss for those of us that cherish body autonomy. But these two rulings together, it could be the opportunity that this radically right wing court is looking forward to try and ease the heat on them to be like, look, man.
Speaker 1: Dude, look who we did.
Speaker 3: We could have fucking nuked all that shit, but we didn't.
Speaker 2: Man, stop talking about Samuel Anno and Clarence Thomas. So you know, maybe the outrage works, but I don't think we can.
Speaker 1: Just trust us. Yay, hey, you can trust us on daddy's lap. Yeah he smell like beer. Damn I like beer.
Speaker 3: Whoa, whoa? All right fuck this?
Speaker 2: So yeah, small victories, but again, like this did that first case had no business even getting to the Supreme Court because, as we've said, there's this they all these conservative activists are just trying to put groups of people together with like fake damages to try and sue their way to the Supreme Court and go judge shopping court shopping to get it there.
Speaker 3: But yeah, a victory nonetheless.
Speaker 1: A victory and a victory for humanity. Because the trailer dropped for the third Paddington movie earlier this week, in the world is rejoicing. Paddington in Peru finds the titular Bear and the Brown family journeying to South America to visit his aunt Lucy. But is she there in the house When he goes to visit her, she is not. So things go not according to plan this film. Things go bear shaped. Am I right, Miles, I gotta go? No, you don't sign you need to sit right here on my lap. Yes, that's smell like. The cast includes Olivia Coleman as a nun, Antonio Antonio Bandera as a like Bono Antonio as a uh, you know, a sex positive boat captain. Is the is the energy I'm getting from uh Antonio Benders? All right? Also when he pulls up, though at first in the trailer, I'm like, well, that can't be Antonio Benders. That is uh that that man is the age of ral Julia in the Adams Family films. That's he looked. He looked a little old, a little long in the tooth. Sadly, Missus Brown no longer played by Sally Hawkins, which I think this was the first that most people realize that that that role had been recast, and for the best possible reasons. Sally Hawkins was like, no, I thought we were just doing like a couple of these I'm not like the Paddington person. Yeah, so uh she quit. They got a new Missus Brown. She's probably to fuck Antonio Benderis. If I had to guess, uh, it's a kid. Actually it's a kid, that's right. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, I guess all right, maybe just being like some some sort that I make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just love though that she said the whole thing. I know, like everyone on what the fuck's going on? She said quote For me, it is felt the right time to hand the reins over to another. And one can't get much better than the truly wonderful Emily Mortimer.
Speaker 3: She's extraordinarily special.
Speaker 2: Like it's not like you were James Bond for like thirty years straight and you're like, yeah, know what, it's time. But also I get it, like I'm sure as a performer, you're like, look I did, I did the.
Speaker 3: Best one ever.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean she saw the script and she's like you, no, thank you, no one else. Maybe someone else should do this.
Speaker 1: Hey, the director is not the same and missus Brown is not the same, so maybe the magic is not the same. We don't know, and we won't know here in the US until January seventeenth, twenty twenty five. It's coming out in November in the UK November eighth, but they're holding it in the US and I'm not sure why other than that they're like people are gonna be fucked and like that. It's just crazy.
Speaker 2: When he's going to the movies when there's a potential breakdown of society in the United States.
Speaker 1: The like it's wild to be seeing a trailer and being like that we're in that timeframe when the trailer where the trailers we see will be and this is like the first teaser trailer, right, this is like the second trailer that they put out, like like not long before the movie comes out. It's coming out after Donald Trump might be president again, or.
Speaker 3: But just before the inauguration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that is yeah.
Speaker 3: So that is cool.
Speaker 1: So and that is cool and I like that. But yeah, it uh, it's it's a very odd we're getting there.
Speaker 3: Like I said, man, just take your time.
Speaker 1: It's taken his time, but not not slow enough in my day opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, give that ship some downers, give time, some fucking downers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's drag this thing out.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break. We'll be here and we're back. And uh, this is something that also in the world of movies that this is something that I feel like people have been thinking was going to happen because uh so for for a long time, since nineteen forty eight, there was a law that was passed that was basically like studios can't buy movie theaters because prior to nineteen forty eight, it was like this vertically integrated like monopoly system where like the studio like owned the theater determined what movies could be shown. Only studio movies got shown, bad for independent cinema, and the Department of Justice overturned that for in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just let that thing Sunset.
Speaker 2: They're like should be revisiteds like, I don't just let it, just let it cook Man, because we.
Speaker 1: Just when has just allowing the largest businesses, the largest corporate interests in the United States, When has letting them run the show ever gone badly? Except every fucking everything gestures around self broadly. So there had been rumors that Amazon was going to try and buy like our like that hasn't happened yet, I don't think. But this in this case Sony, who I think also has like Columbia and you know, the big Movie Studio, they have purchased the Alamo Draft House, which that that chain has been struggling to stay afloat and declared bankruptcy in twenty twenty one. So not necessarily they were surprised that it was sold. But yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I think they they went wrong by making you use little pencils.
Speaker 1: Or the little yeah, the little golf the little mini golf pencils. It's like the one later you.
Speaker 3: Got like a fucking QR code or something. Man, Yeah, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Try to like keep my like mini golf score while like ordering the wrong thing five times in the dark. Yeah, but yeah, yeah, I think this is uh. I mean, I remember we talked about this being like being allowed to sunset four years ago and this was in the news, and yeah, the concerns are still the same, Like if every studio just owns their own theater, like, how are they incentivized to like pedal the wares of their competitors. It's like, oh, was that Disney all right? You got to go see that at AMC. Oh what is this is a Sony joint? You got to go to Almo draft? Like that's the horrific apocalyptic version of.
Speaker 3: Where this ends up.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure like where this goes because this is really the first studio really getting into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is that A twenty four? You're gonna have to watch that on to b Yeah movie tube site.
Speaker 2: But I feel like if you're if you're bothering to invest in the like theater business, you have to do what's best to keep people coming in. So if you just limit your offerings to just the shit that you make, then that's probably not going to bode well. But yeah, I don't know, man, it's uh, I don't It's hard for me to see the upside of studios owning the means of projecting vertical integration.
Speaker 1: Miles used to it. It's a phrase that we made up, and it in no way means that we are immovable and everywhere and you can't get around us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't try.
Speaker 1: Don't even try and get over good for making money and good for making money just means we can invest back in the product, and that's what we do every time after we do a stock buy back thing that just like basically lines our pockets and funcks you over. It's a great deal for everyone.
Speaker 2: Or I hope, like you know, maybe with this kind of emphasis, there's like a place for like more independent theaters to flourish because they're like, dude, do you want to see like something good?
Speaker 1: Come in my backyard.
Speaker 3: Come in my backyard, dude, I'm gonna show you.
Speaker 1: Come sit on my lap.
Speaker 3: You want to see? You want to see Johnny Darko and four K.
Speaker 1: Called Donny Darko Johnny Darko the other day eating fucked me up. Yeah, I got like, whatever that white guy bunny movie, John I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say, Johnny Mnemonic, I think is where I was going with that.
Speaker 1: You're talking about the dorm room date, which was I think that could be a podcast just dorm room date.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like just describe anyway. Let's we'll say that for another time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Johnny Darko. But yeah, the people who take people on dorm room dates will show them. The number one most popular on the Yelp for dorm room dates, the number one most recommended by the people planning the date to not the people going on them, is Johnny Darko. But I mean, the good news is that the media is all over this one. Laney Gossip noted uh described it thusly, with Sony's purchase of Alamo Draft House, could studios buying movie theaters become the hot new trend?
Speaker 3: Fuck, hot new trends forever, the.
Speaker 1: Hot new trend. Multinational corporations the hot news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mean just a terrible, a terrible development that will affect all consumers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see Trump dunked on Milwaukee. This one. I don't know. This one seemed kind of like because so he said that Milwaukee sucks, right, he was like, Milwaukee, where we were having our convention, is a horrible city. But it feels like he was just doing like a inside joke thing about how he I mean, it's still horrible. It's not like the top five most horrible things he said this week. But no, I think people like want to make this like he he says Milwaukee sucks and like he's not a man of the people. But I think it was an inside joke made to other election truthers because that was like one of the places like he has insisted he won the state of Wisconsin and that Milwaukee, Yeah, Milwaukee stole a bunch of votes, and so he was making like a little aside and being like Milwaukee, which I'm told is a horrible city. So I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's also one of those things where like, you know, Democratic pundits are like.
Speaker 1: Ooh, don't say that, that's gonna that's not gonna help.
Speaker 3: You're like, are you're fucking kidding me?
Speaker 1: This guy's ship, he's a piece of ship, and they love him. Yeah, they love him for being a piece of shit, and they love him for saying Milwaukee is a bad like that. That's exactly what they like. You'll see people probably Wisconsin. You can't people.
Speaker 2: Just turn up with shirts that are like Milwaukee is a horrible place and then they're like yeah, like just how people were like real men wear diapers, Like it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: What anything is.
Speaker 2: When he says that when people were talking about him wearing diapers and ship, all these people started wearing real men wear diapers shirts to try and like take the bite out of this thing where like people were saying.
Speaker 3: Like Donald Trump's wearing diapers at.
Speaker 2: The courthouse, So people outside the courthouse and at rally's had things like like there are people wearing fucking diapers, like we support him.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter, Like it doesn't fucking matter, man. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only thing, I honestly think the only thing that would affect people is if he just started espousing like progressive values. Yeah, because like they're like he's their attack dog for like white grievance politics, socause that is the main thing. It doesn't matter else.
Speaker 1: City Yeah yeah, please yes, please end more, Thank you more, sir? Yeah. Uh And Finally, a woman is facing thirty years in prison after bogwater is found during a Minnesota traffic stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah I didn't really so okay, Like drug paraphernalia was decriminalized, right and even this, but according there's like a state there's an an old law in the state of Minnesota that like wasn't addressed that still treated bong wah or bog water bong wah as a controlled substance because of the residue they like thc residue in it, so uh, you could be convicted of like a first degree possession crime.
Speaker 1: People ever get high off of bomb water, like drinking long water.
Speaker 2: That's like a ship that's like shit Steve O does to like freak people out. He's like, you want going to drink this bomb water? And I was like, oh shit, or ship. People would do a parties in college and be.
Speaker 3: Like, dude, that guy's a fucking loser. Why the fuck did he?
Speaker 2: Like I remember a kid did that in high school and everyone lost respect for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like click, the kids who ate bugs in elementary school drink bong water.
Speaker 2: It was worse than like being pants at a fucking like school rally, like at the in the gym, like everyone I remember everyone saw, They're like, dude, that's fucking gross. Man, Yeah, like I don't fuck that guy, which kind of vibe that guy.
Speaker 1: Like it's just so it's not even like gross in the way that like, uh, you know, eating, like putting a bunch of shit in a blender and during that is gross. It's just like everyone's like, nah, huh huh, nope, you crossed the line that we didn't want to see crossed, and we don't like you. Now we've all decided, but I.
Speaker 3: Got no boundaries, Like I'm fucking wacky.
Speaker 2: It's like, and you have no self in a way we don't like, there's a there's a fine line.
Speaker 3: There's a fine line.
Speaker 2: But anyway, Yeah, another example of why are just dated drug laws need to be addressed.
Speaker 1: But yeah, thirty years what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Yeah hopefully that's not the case, but who knows where that ends up.
Speaker 1: But yeah, guys, don't thirty four felony counts this facing uh probably like having to wear an ankle bracelet.
Speaker 2: The other thing is too And I have to just note this. This was found during a traffic stop. So why are you anyone who's had has like a nice bong or glass piece that they like to take to like a party or social gathering.
Speaker 3: You're not fucking dry. You're not moving around with that ship having water in.
Speaker 1: It unless you're using it while you're hitting it in the car.
Speaker 2: And then maybe you're like, come on, are you serious, Like they're like, I don't have any weed because I just smoked it all and then they're like, all right, fuck you part out loud.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, like that's around like a little bit, like I would like to know a little bit more, some.
Speaker 3: More details here in regards to them.
Speaker 1: It is very strange. Yeah, all right, well that is a continuing story. We'll continue to be following.
Speaker 3: Keepit. Yeah, the bong Wa chronicles.
Speaker 1: And those are some of the things that are trending on this Thursday, June thirteenth. We are back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, yeah, get your flu shots. Don't do nothing about white sopreacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bye bye.