Speaker 1: Hi, get everybody. I'm Dan Hord and thanks for downloading the Bengals Booth Podcast. The I'm Wining I'm Wining addition, as the Bengals get their first win of the year beating the Panthers in Carolina thirty four to twenty four. Coming up radio replays, locker room comments and postgame analysis from Dave Lappham. Then, in this week's fun Facts Conversation, you'll meet Bengals tight end Mike Kasiki. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Core, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet design to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your pods. It's the greatest thing since winning. Yep. Pretty simple. This week, it was great to say coffin nails and here lap say Bam Bam bam for the first time in eight months. In twenty two days now time for the radio replays. When Marv Levy was the coach of the Buffalo Bills, reporter asked him if an upcoming game was a must win. Coach Levy said, no, World War Two was a must win, so maybe must win isn't the proper phrase.
Speaker 2: Today, we will.
Speaker 1: Go with badly needed as the Bengals look for their first win of the season against the Carolina Panthers. And it is time for the pig skin to fly here at Bank of.
Speaker 2: America Stadium in Charlotte.
Speaker 1: Chris Jenkins checks in is an extra defensive lineman at his fourth and inches. It's a handoff to Hubber. He's sworn down. The Bengals stop the Panthers on fourth and goal in side the one Dalton in the gun, two receivers to each side. The ball's on the right hash On third down and eight from the thirty four yard line, Dalton catches all out blitz coming Andy gets rid of it. It's fluttering up in the air and accepted by Von Bell running back to the forty thirty five thirty hit from behind and knock Doun the bounds inside the twenty. The pass rush led to a wounded duck of a throw, and Von Bell picked it off and ran it.
Speaker 2: Back inside the red zone.
Speaker 1: Chase Brown is the running back as Burrow waits for a shotgun snap. It's a hand on Chase Brown flies into the end zone and spikes in with the right hand.
Speaker 2: Touchdown Bengals.
Speaker 1: Dalton's in the shotgun are running back on either side, gives it to Hubbard and Chuba. Hubbard down to the goal line is in touchdown. Carolina Burrow in the gun. On third down and three, the Bengals hit their own thirty eight. Joe Looking has lots of time, has pass caught at the fifty by Jamar. Chase breaks a tackle streaking down the far sideline. He's got two teammates to walk and he will take it to the house for a sixty three yard Bengals touchdown.
Speaker 2: To pistol formation.
Speaker 1: On first and goal from the eighth, Dalton catches, extends the ball, fakes, rolls left, throws caught by Lee gets in the end zone for the Panthers touchdown third and goal from the one six seconds left.
Speaker 2: In the half.
Speaker 1: Fourteen to fourteen is the score. Burrow waiting back at the six for the snap from Ted Carris.
Speaker 2: Joe catches throws a swing pass.
Speaker 1: Moss slipped but dies for the end zone and gets in touchdown Bengals with one second left in the half. A risky call. They passed it into the flat short of the end zone. Zach Moss actually slipped but got back on his feet and scored first and goal from the two, and the Bengals are going to go hurry up. Burrow's under center, Chase Brown in at running back. They give it to the second year running back and Chase Brown lowers the shoulder pads and goes into the end zone for the Bengals touchdown. Chuba Hubbard back in at running back that he lines up as a slot receiver. Dalton throwing down the middle of the field, touchdown in the middle of the end zone too.
Speaker 2: Deontay Johnson.
Speaker 1: Burrow repositions Zack Moss, Joe clapping his hands. He catches a chest high snap, looking in trouble, running left, spins around, running backward, turns downfield, caught by Zack Moss runs to the forty, stutters step at the forty five, and auto bounds at the fifty A miraculous extension of the play. Moneymack trying to deliver in the clutch from forty six yards away.
Speaker 2: Adam I is ready to snap it.
Speaker 1: The snap, the placement, the right footed gick on its way. It is good and that should be coffin nails.
Speaker 2: Sam bam, bam. It's about time. Eight seconds to go. Gets snapped back to Dalton.
Speaker 1: Andy forced to scramble, gets away from Logan Wilson. Dalton running down field, he gets out of bounds, but the clock.
Speaker 2: Is at zero and that will do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, the sky is not falling as the Bengals get a badly needed road victory, their first win of the year. They beat the Carolina Panthers thirty four to twenty four. All right, let's start with the offense. Joe Burrow through his first interception of the year. But I think we can all live with won every four games for the season. He's completing seventy one percent of his passes, with seven touchdowns, one pick, and a passer rating of one oh five point nine. And no questions about lifting water bottles for three straight weeks. And how about running back Chase Brown? He carried fifteen times for eighty yards both career highs and scored a pair of touchdowns. For the season, he's averaging a robust six point three yards per attempt. I talked to him after the game, Chase Brown, how's that w feel amazing?
Speaker 3: I mean, we needed to bring some energy to the locker room the team.
Speaker 4: You know, just.
Speaker 3: Important to social role into our first divisional game next week.
Speaker 5: In the Ravens.
Speaker 3: I just want to carry this momentum in the next week and the.
Speaker 5: Rest of the season.
Speaker 1: Is there a weight off your shoulders.
Speaker 4: In a way?
Speaker 3: Like we wanted that win really bad. We needed that win really bad. But I mean we knew what we were capable of. We know we need to do to take this team where we want to go, and we're just gonna keep on working hard on our heads down and going out there and playing good, complimentary football.
Speaker 6: And that's all we can do.
Speaker 1: Eighty rushing yards for you, that's a new career high. Two touchdown runs, your first two rushing touchdowns.
Speaker 2: In the NFL. How about your personal performance?
Speaker 6: How did that?
Speaker 2: I mean, Hu Street, Who's are the whole line? They were open? Know stuff like crazy?
Speaker 7: Today?
Speaker 3: We probably should have had another fifty.
Speaker 2: I mean, there was a huge home run.
Speaker 3: Uper to me there that I gotta caught trip up on that. So, I mean, you know, personal staff one thing, but this is a good team win.
Speaker 5: It took all of us. So that's what we're focused on right now. That's what I'm focused on.
Speaker 1: You scored two on the ground and Zach Moss had the huge touchdown with one second left in the second quarter. Yeah, great job to maintain his balance when it looked like he might slip. People were getting it.
Speaker 4: No, no doubt.
Speaker 3: I mean that that dude, that dude's different is builded.
Speaker 2: The brave tackles is when.
Speaker 3: You guys see it every single game.
Speaker 2: I see it that.
Speaker 3: Practice on time, So I would I would expect nothing less.
Speaker 1: Final driving the game, no passes. They counted on the O line, and you guys can drain the clock and set up Moneymack.
Speaker 2: For the game plinch raft.
Speaker 1: That's a big deal when you can do that, when the other team knows.
Speaker 2: It's tone, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 3: I mean they were, they were stacking up the box, they were gapped out. But we know, you know, we know what's coming. We've been praying for those moments. It's a minute. We know we just want to put up points up at the end. And the same thing is just keep the rock on our side and you don't check that that field going to really.
Speaker 1: Push the dagger in congrandsender badly needed winning, thank you. Then there's the other Chase Jamar, who finished with three catches for eighty five yards, including that ridiculous sixty three yard TD. You've probably seen the video of him searching for his dad, Jimmy in the stands and then tossing him the football. Well, as it turns out, his father was actually the middleman.
Speaker 8: I was just giving it to my dask, so'd to give it to my grandparents. I haven't seen him in a couple of years, and they stay out here in North Carolina, so you know, I just want to give him a game ball. And you know I'm finna go see him after this, So I just want to give him a game ball.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 5: Especially about score today?
Speaker 1: So with your grandparents looking on and the first time you've seen him in a couple of years, how big was it to make a memorable play with them in attendance?
Speaker 2: It was good man?
Speaker 8: No, I told t before the game, you know, if my grand if I get the score. I'm trying to get my grandparents the ball, so I actually called it, but it was just, you know, it's just a blessed man to have opportunities still play in front of my grandparents, who's still alive at the moment, So you know, it's nothing but but a blessing at this moment.
Speaker 1: I think it's safe to say those are two very proud grandparents. As for the defense, the Bengals gave up three hundred and seventy five yards, including one fifty five rushing, but they held the Panthers to twenty four points. That's twelve fewer than they scored against the Raiders last week. And the Bengals made that huge goal line stop on Carolina's opening drive on fourth and goal inside the one with defensive tackles bj Hill and Sheldon Rank and still out with hamstring injuries. Sam Hubbard moved inside for quite a few snaps and talked to Dave Lapham about it after the game.
Speaker 4: How many different positions did you play today?
Speaker 2: A few?
Speaker 9: I think we're down a bunch of guys and had to fill in a nose tackle and three technique and get some uh, some guys on the edge. Cedric stepped in great joseph Osa, Trey obviously was Trey, and uh yeah, whatever the team needs, I'm down for it. It's it's about win and we got that win today and man does it feel good after those rough three weeks and now we we got to start stacking.
Speaker 4: Them for four games into the NFL season, so many injuries and guys having to step up. But that's the nature of the Beasts in the National Football League. When your name is called, time to step up, right, Yeah.
Speaker 9: That's the sport that we play, you know, and you never know when your opportunity is gonna come, and uh you make the most of it. And guys that come in and you know, provide depth. You know that those teams are the most successful. It's a long season, a very long season, and we're gonna need everybody in this locker room. And I really love this this team.
Speaker 4: Sam talk about bending but not breaking. Twelve play drive, they go to the one foot line. I mean, you bend as much as you could, but you didn't break. I mean that was unbelievably important in this football game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, especially with how we played last week defense, we really wanted to step up and to start the game like that and just you know, never vote on each other, never, never give up. It really just set the tempo for the day. And you know that was that was very important to us.
Speaker 4: Sam. It's a former offensive lineman. I hate to admit it, but looking at the inside of your bicep, they're holding you like the son of a gun man. You got you got marks and digs all over you. They're grabbing you like crazy out there, aren't they.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's real on the inside, no doubt. It's been a couple of years since I played in there, but it's a grind, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Here's helping. Reinforcements are on the way. In addition to the possible return of Hill and Rankins, Miles Murphy and McKinley Jackson are eligible to start practicing and potentially playing this week. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber, future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home business community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Let's hear what head coach Zach Taylor had to say as he spent a few minutes with Lap after the game.
Speaker 4: Coach gad to get one man that that first one was getting a little loosive and got it.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I mean that's sometimes it's gonna be ugly. And we found a way to finish, you know, as pleased the defense be able to get it at three and out at the end of the game, get the offense the ball back, were able to burn the clock getting a field goal range, finish it off the right way. It's not always gonna be pretty in this league. That's a well coached football team. They're only going to continue to improve as the season goes. And got a lot of respect for him. But now it's put that one to bed and show back up at home next week for a big divisional game.
Speaker 4: Coin toss win. Defer Man, did that work out? You scored touchdown with a second to go in the first half and then your score first possession in the third quarter. I mean, you can't draw it up any better than that.
Speaker 6: I mean, truthfully, that's what we talked about as a team this week, is defern the coin toss offense defense because that's a chance the tone and then offense finish them off to start the third quarter. And maybe some opportunities we missed there late in the third to finish them off, But overall, was pleased with how the guys executed the plan.
Speaker 4: You rush for over one hundred and thirty yards out of your tailback position, I think probably over one hundred and fifty, you know, as a football team, and then Joe Burrow is Joe Burrow thrown for two hundred and twenty plus or whatever and a couple of touchdowns when your offense is balanced like that. Scored thirty three points last week, thirty four points this week. I mean, you guys are in a nice role, and.
Speaker 6: It feel still like we're leaving some on the field, you know. So again it's I don't think we've reached our potential yet, but we're certainly playing at a place where there's a lot of confidence and so again still room to grow, and we're excited about that.
Speaker 4: What about red zone today? A red zone execution? You think you up the andy there a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we had a tough go there. You know, we're when we lost fifteen yards on a completion somehow and then got a penalty on a nice draw play. So there's still some room to grow there, But I thought the execution was good.
Speaker 4: And I'll tell you what, Andy Dalton, man, I mean, there were two or three I know he'd like to have back, but almost every other throw there was a chance to make a play on his teammates didn't necessarily always come up with them. But man, that guy can still put it in good spots, can't he.
Speaker 6: I Mean, there were two guys last week to go for over three hundred and three touchdowns as Joe Burrow Andy Dalton, and so he's proven that he still plays at a high level. We obviously think the world of him and all that he's done for me in this organization, and I'm not surprised that he's still effective out there, and I'm just glad to get get that one away from him.
Speaker 4: How about Sam Hubbard, He's playing nose tackle out there at the end of the football game. I Mean, here's a guy that'll do anything for his football team, won't he.
Speaker 6: That's right, I Mean, that's what a Bengle is. He's willing to do anything he's got to do and put ego aside and just go out there and play ball and try to help us where we can with our detackle situation. And you know, that's why the guy's a captain and that's why he leads us.
Speaker 4: Both of these football teams have been hit by injury and only four games in. I mean, you never know when they're gonna come, and when they come, sometimes unfortunately come in bunches.
Speaker 2: But I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: The guys that you know, next man up, the next guys that had to play, played pretty well for you.
Speaker 2: That's how it is.
Speaker 6: Everyone goes through a lot of adversity, everyone goes through injuries, and you got to rely on your depth.
Speaker 4: So here we go. Next opponent, AFC North Baltimore Ravens, and we all know what it's like playing in the AFC North. Got to kind of get over this one, lick some wounds with their orny and get ready to roll right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, awesome opportunity, get our first home win, get our first divisional wins against a great opponent. What more could you ask for?
Speaker 1: Up next the home game against Ragning MVP Lamar Jackson and the Baltimore Ravens. Lamar is eight and one in nine career starts against the Bengals. I'm posting this podcast before the end of the Sunday night game, so I don't know if Baltimore beat Buffalo or vice versa, but the other two teams in the AFC North lost. The Steelers are three and one after losing an Indy and the Browns are one in three after losing in Vegas. Now time for the radio guys recap. Was a pretty palpable sense of relief in that Bengals locker room after getting that badly needed first win.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean, life in the NFL can be tough when you're losing close football games. When you lose in one score football games, I mean you're so close and just you know, you needed to make another play, any phase of it, and just didn't. In this football game, you could tell, man, there's a big xhale in that locker room. I mean, guys were happy to get that first W. So sometimes that first win can be major league elusive, and it was for these guys, but they got one on the road, and life's not easy on the road in the National Football League. To pull out of w helps A.
Speaker 1: Lot of big plays in the game, including a fourth and less than a yard stop on Carolina's opening possession. I think Chris Jenkins was the guy that led the charge in the interior portion of the defensive line. Obviously that was huge, not only to keep Carolina off the scoreboard, just but just that kind of endless sense that the defense couldn't get a stop exactly.
Speaker 4: Joe asked him about that very thing in his postgame and he said his response was that set the tone for the game. You know, that was that was something that both sides of the ball fed off of and it ended up being a huge, huge factor in a one score football game like it ended up being. So, I mean, you know, talk about bending, he've been as far as you get Ben literally there the one foot line can't bend any further. But they didn't break twelve play drive till the one foot line. You come away with nothing. That's that's tough to deal with. But I got to give them credit. I mean, they stayed in the football game. They bounced back and made it a heck of a football game.
Speaker 1: Offensively, the point total keeps going up. It has increased in all four games this season. I mean, it wasn't perfect, but anytime you score thirty plus, you got to fel pretty good about the way they're playing on that side of the ball.
Speaker 4: I agree, I think you know the fact that you get one hundred over a hundred thirty yards rushing from your two tailbacks one hundred and forty one yards overall with Borrow's ten yards scramble average four and a half yards per. I mean, defensively, Carolina was able to run the football as well against the Bengals defense one hundred and fifty five yards five point three per Hubbard had one hundred yard day, so you know, I mean, the good news is Bengals ran the football. Bad news is Bengals didn't stop the run. And Andy Dalton fed off of that with a decent performance. But Joe Burrows was better. Joe Burrow had a quarterback rating of over one hundred andyes was just over eighty three, so two touchdown passes and one interception each. And that's the thing I think about this game as well, Dan, is you know it was well played. Nobody put the ball on the ground in terms of a fumble. Neither football team did that. Both teams threw an interception. The penalty numbers weren't crazy five penalties for thirty nine yards, six for thirty seven. I mean, they didn't self destruct, so its a matter of who was going to make the most plays. And into the game we thought red zone was going to be a big deal with the Panthers defense. They gave up eight touchdowns and nine possessions, Bengals three for three. So now it's eleven touchdowns and twelve red zone possessions. That's that's scary. I mean, that's I don't know, I don't know how you rectify that problem. That's a major league problem for the Carolina Panthers. They scored two red zone touchdowns and three opportunities themselves, and the Bengals scored twenty one points with ten minutes of possession time in the first half. That was crazy efficient. The Bengals tighten that up. I mean it was only like almost a little over two minute difference by the time the game was over with. But in that first half, you know, even scoring twenty one points, you know, all the guys felt like, hey, we just didn't have the ball. We didn't really establish any rhythm and timing of sorts. You know, just we're efficient with a dough and got twenty one on the board was big.
Speaker 1: This is the second straight game the Chase Brown has set up personal rushing high. He had eighty rushing yards in the game, a couple of touchdown runs. And you made an interesting point on the broadcast late in the game when you said, every time he gets the ball, you hold your breath a little bit thinking that he's about to break a long.
Speaker 4: One, telling you, man, that kid his acceleration is so quick that when when he takes that first acceleration stuff, it's like, well, is this going to be it? And you wonder if the crease is big enough, because he can he can work his way through some pretty tight ones with that explosion that he has. He's a He's a problem for defenses, there's no doubt. I mean, catching the ball, you know, out of the backfield, screen passes, running the football like he's able to. You know, he still has to work on the blitz pickup stuff, make sure that he's lined up the right Why they had to burn a timeout on that with a blitz pickup responsibility got to tighten tighten that kind of stuff up. But man, physically and athletically, he's a gem.
Speaker 1: A Marius Men has made his first started right tackle. I know he spoke to him after the game. Andy Dalton had a lot of time to throw most of the time. What do you think of this line right now?
Speaker 4: I think I think the Bengals offensive line is is doing doing a heck of a job. I mean, Borrow was effusive in his praise, you know, in the postgame about how well the offensive line did. There were times back there with Joe was really I mean, you know, bouncing, bouncing a few times and it's like, man, they're locking them up pretty good. You know. Marius BIMs was not surprisingly extremely humble and he said, you know, I'm going to learn a lot every single week. This was the starting point. And uh he credited both Trent and Orlando for making life easier for him. And that's the good thing is he listens to those guys. Some rookies think they know it all this, this young man understands it. These guys have been in the league for as long as they have for a reason, and they've been to the Super Bowl and won a Super Bowl and been to the Pro Bowl, and so he's going to listen to guys. And that's that's the way, right way to approach it. I think he's going to be around a long time, playing at a very high level.
Speaker 1: Man Joe had a lot of time to throw by and large so did Andy Dalton. As rush remains very much a working progress.
Speaker 4: Yeah it does. And I mean Sam Hubbard's taking snaps of nose tackle today, taking snaps to three technique, and he's doing anything the team needs him to do. I mean, he's such an unselfish player. And then Trey, I mean not exactly sure what the injury is to Tray, but everybody's hopeful that's not significant and serious. I mean, you take away that guy off the edge, that's that's your that's your guy. When you're when you're missing a guy who always is disruptive and they have to account for him. And if that, if that is not available in the football field, and that's almost irreplaceable.
Speaker 1: So bring out in the Ravens next week at pay Corse Stadium. As we do this interview, they're one and two with a home game against the undefeated Buffalo Bills tonight. Be interesting to see how that one goes. But the Bengals at least put themselves into a position where if they can be an excellent team at home next Sunday. Then they are truly right back in the hunt.
Speaker 4: And we know Dan that every time that they've done well for an entire season and been a playoff team and competitive in the playoffs, they've handled the division. They've played well in the division. So here comes division matchup number one, and we know what the AFC is all about. It's physical, it's cathlic, it's fast. I mean, it's got it all. And the fact is, with Pittsburgh going down today, there are only two games out after four games played.
Speaker 1: The sweet Nectar of Victory returned at last, nearly nine months since the last time preseason included that the Bengals won one.
Speaker 4: Sweet Nectar of the victory Gods. I thought they had deserted us. I'm like, where are the victory Gods? But that first sip tasted so.
Speaker 1: Good as well my first sip of a cold Sinsy light. When I'm finished with this podcast, here's an invitation to join us for the Bengals Game Plan Show on Wednesday night. If you live in the Cincinnati area, We'll be at Oakley Greens from six to eight and Orlando Brown JUNI you're a scheduled to join us in the first hour. If you can't make it, you can listen on ESPN fifteen thirty or search for ESPN fifteen thirty on the free iHeartMedia app. Finally, it's time for this week's fun Fact segment, where you get to know the person under the pads. Time for some fun facts with tight End Mike Kasiki, a Jersey guy. Your hometown is listed as Stafford, New Jersey, which is on the Jersey Shore north of Atlantic City. Describe your hometown and some of the things you love about it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So Stafford is the you know, the town whatever I'm from, like Long Beach Island.
Speaker 5: It's just a beach town down in New Jersey.
Speaker 7: I grew up right there and from my parents grew up, and it's where my whole family's grown up.
Speaker 5: So I love it.
Speaker 7: It's I love, you know, spending my summers back in New Jersey. I now live about a half hour north of there, and you know, know, it's it's what, It's where I call home. So that's where you know. Now I'm you know, with my wife and you know we live in New Jersey and her family's there, I mean, so that's that's definitely home base.
Speaker 1: You were a star athlete in high school and football, basketball, and volleyball. Did you basically jump from one thing to the next, and do you think it was good for your overall development?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I did. Uh.
Speaker 7: I mean it was just you know, three seasons of sports in high school and I was playing you know, football in the fall, basketball in the winter, and then volleyball in the spring. I think it was great for my overall just athleticism, you know, not just focusing on one sport. And you know, obviously, you know, when you get to this level, you know, now now it's your job, it's your profession, and there's so much more into it.
Speaker 5: But when you're still developing as an athlete.
Speaker 7: Uh, you know, back in back in high school, I thought it was great for me.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 5: And it always kept me busy.
Speaker 7: It always you know, kept me learning different things, and uh, you know, I think it always made me a better athlete. I felt like every year I came back for a football season and I was, you know, a different athlete, uh than I was the last season. So it's awesome. It's you know, made me the player that I am today.
Speaker 1: I'm visiting with Mike Asiki in basketball, you're the all time leading score at your high school. So I did a quick YouTube search. Good Lord, three sixty dunks alley you finishes spinning drives to the hoop. It was really impressive. You're six six. Did you have much interest from colleges and playing college hoops?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know I didn't. I didn't play like AAU basketball, so I didn't travel. And that was really how you know, you get recruited for basketball. So you know, a lot of my recruitment for that kind of wasn't nearly as large as the football stuff. But you know, I had you know, offers play basketball from you know, Patriot League schools like Colgate, Bucknell, schools like that. And then ultimately, you know, my football recruitment kind of picked up my like beginning of my junior year of college or beginning of junior year of high school and started to kind of see, you know, the vision of what I could be as a football player, and that was that was the.
Speaker 1: Route that I You could have gone just about anywhere. You chose Penn State and committed to play for Bill O'Brien, and then before you got there, he left for a head coaching job in the NFL. How tough. Was that for you at that age? And why did you decide to stick with the Nitney Lions.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was, you know at that age obviously you know, you make a commitment to Penn State and you know Bill O'Brien, and that was you know a lot of the main reasons why why I made that commitment.
Speaker 5: But you know, ultimately, when when Obi left, coach.
Speaker 7: Franklin came in and I had a previous relationship with him, he had offered me when he was at Vanderbilt.
Speaker 5: Then he got the job at Penn State.
Speaker 7: So definitely was excited to still go to Penn State for all the reasons you know, outside of just football that I.
Speaker 5: Was going there for.
Speaker 7: And then when coach Franklin got the job, wasn't even you know a second second, guest. You know, I was excited to continue to you know, stay committed there and all that kind of stuff, and ultimately, you know, it all worked out the way the way that it should have.
Speaker 1: You spent four years at Penn State. What was the best part of your time and Happy Valley.
Speaker 7: I think my my junior year, we won the Big Ten championship game, and uh, you know, we kind of shocked a lot of teams and a lot of people around around the country at that time, and we ended up, you know, putting together a really good season. Uh.
Speaker 5: So that was that was a lot of fun for us. We we you know, had a lot of success that year.
Speaker 7: Uh, didn't start off great, but then you know, got hot at the right time and you know, won the Big Ten Championship game, went to the Rose Bowl. A lot of a lot of fun memories were made that year with you know, a lot of people that I'm still really close with.
Speaker 1: We're visiting with Mike Kasicki. After earning All American honors your senior year, you were drafted in the second round by Miami in twenty eighteen, the second tight end selected that year. Describe your draft experience.
Speaker 7: Uh, yeah, it was, I mean definitely an exciting process. You know, something that you know, you look forward to your you know, your whole entire life growing up, and then you know, you go through it.
Speaker 5: Uh obviously, you know, you go train for.
Speaker 7: The Combine, then you go to the Combine in Indianapolis, and then uh, you know, you take a couple of visits you know, pre draft, and then ultimately, you know, then it's a waiting game and just trying to you know, figure you're out, uh where you're gonna go and how you're gonna fit and all that kind of stuff. And ended up getting drafted by the Dolphins beginning of the second round and had a you know, great experience with my friends, my family, uh, you know, everybody back home, and you know, we we enjoyed that day that night.
Speaker 5: And then after that then.
Speaker 7: It was off to Miami and get to work and uh, you know that was you know, the start of my NFL journey.
Speaker 1: In your second year with Miami, the Dolphins decided to cut the roster essentially and build up a lot of draft picks. They started on seven that year. Although you did finish strong, How hard was that especially that early in your career.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was definitely an interesting process. Uh, you know, the coach that drafted me was no longer there, so then trying to you know, earn trust and earn respect from a new coaching staff.
Speaker 5: So that was that was one thing.
Speaker 7: And then once I was finally able to do that and just go out there and make plays and you.
Speaker 5: Know, make the most of your opportunities.
Speaker 7: And uh, you know, that season like you said, oh and seven, it wasn't It wasn't very fun to start off. But we actually, you know, for the situation that we were in, and like you said, you know, the roster where there was where there was trades.
Speaker 5: And there was guys that you know, probably.
Speaker 7: Could have helped us win, but we ended up going for draft picks in the future, and you know all that kind of stuff, the business side of it that the players have no control of. You know, we ended up having having a fun, a fun season of the second half of the year.
Speaker 5: Ryan Fitzpatrick was our.
Speaker 7: Quarterback and kind of got us rolling with his experience and you know some of the things that he was doing out there, and we made some plays and you know, ultimately had had a had a good second half of the season and something to build on for the future.
Speaker 1: Bengals fans will remember the next to last game of the year that year, you caught a couple of touchdown passes against Cincinnati, but the Bengals scored sixteen points in the last twenty nine seconds the for US overtime. The Dolphins ultimately won the game. Described being on the opposite sideline when that was going on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely, Uh it's funny to be on the other side now, you know of what people called, you know, the the Joe Burrow Bowl back.
Speaker 5: Then, and uh it is it is funny.
Speaker 7: So uh, you know that game, you know, like you said, you know, I was able to make some plays to score two touchdowns and uh we ended up winning the game, and obviously you know, Cincinnati uh ended up with with Joe Burrow after that, so uh definitely, uh, definitely a win win and it was you know, it was it was a fun game, exciting game.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 7: You know, when you're when you're playing and you know you're the player in it, you're not thinking about the draft picks or anything like that. You're just going out trying to execute and do your job to the to the highest of your abilities. And that's what I was trying to do that day. But looking back now, it's it's funny to you know, be a part of that for Miami's organization and now now I'm part of it for you know, the Bengals organization.
Speaker 5: And uh, you know, playing with with.
Speaker 7: The guy that you know everybody was was playing for or at that at that day.
Speaker 1: We're doing fun facts with Mike Kasicki. After five years in Miami, you spent last year in New England where you played for Bill Belichick. It wasn't a winning season, But what will you tell your kids and grandkids someday about playing for arguably the greatest coach of all time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got a lot of respect for Bill.
Speaker 7: Bill was an unbelievable coach, a great mentor, and a guy that honestly, uh doesn't get a lot does does not get enough credit for his personality. That's That's the one thing I always tell people about about Bill is you know, he he had a great personality with joke, laughing around. Uh, joke, joke around, laugh with these guys and have fun. Obviously when it was time to, you know, get down to business, it was time to get down to business. But learn a lot about football, learn a lot about situational football, Uh, how to win games, and you know how teams can lose games as well. And uh, I think you know, like you said, it wasn't a winning season. It wasn't something that you know, you look back on with a ton of you know, success individually or collectively as a team. But uh, there's some things from that year that you know, I'll take with me for the rest of my career.
Speaker 1: You signed as a free agent with Cincinnati this year. Describe something that's a little bit different about playing here that you enjoy so far.
Speaker 7: First and foremost, the fans are awesome. They're, uh, you know, from.
Speaker 5: The day I got here. You know, they've been super supportive.
Speaker 7: And I think, you know, just the the chemistry in the locker room with the guys, everybody's everybody's been awesome, you know, as a new guy, everybody has kind of welcomed me with open arms, and it's been made the transition very smooth. And now you know, here we are, and you know, mid mid September, you know, I feel like I've already been here for you know, quite some time now, just because of how uh, you know, just welcoming and how great the staff is and how great the players are everybody in the building.
Speaker 5: So it's been it's been a fun experience.
Speaker 1: All right. A few wild card topics now to wrap things up with Mike Kasicki. He told me during training camp that you have a jugs machine at home and catch two hundred balls a day during the off season. What's a jugs machine cost? And who feeds the balls? Into the machine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so judge machine probably run you about anywhere from like twenty five hundred to thirty five hundred, depending on which one you get. And it's been a great investment though. I got at my rookie year, and you know, I mean so now I've used it for seven years and it's been great. I have it, you know, just set up in my backyard and I'll just I'll catch and throw it back.
Speaker 5: My wife will shoot it back.
Speaker 7: And so so we get out there and it probably takes about twenty minutes for me and her to shoot two hundred footballs and catch two hunred footballs. And I give her a lot of credit because I mean, you know, she doesn't have to be out there doing it, but I do. I do appreciate, you know, her support and her time because it helps me, you know, make these plays on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Thank you, missus Kasiki for helping out. Who is your all time favorite athlete in any sport?
Speaker 2: And why?
Speaker 5: Favorite athlete of all time is Vince Carter.
Speaker 7: I grew up in New Jersey, was grew up a big Nets fan, and that's one, you know.
Speaker 5: Vince Carter, Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson, and those guys were.
Speaker 7: Playing for the Nets, and Vince was, you know.
Speaker 5: My favorite player.
Speaker 7: My dad got season tickets for him and I when I was in sixth grade and we would go to the Nets games, and I mean it was it was awesome, a lot of fun that year, and you know, Vince was the best player on the team and the guy that I looked up to and still to this day. I mean, I'll still catch myself on YouTube watching Vince Carter highlights.
Speaker 6: He was.
Speaker 5: He was fun to watch.
Speaker 1: I hope your NFL careers as long as his NBA career was, because it was incredible. The TV show Jersey Shore has been off the air for about ten years, but we remember Snookie and Jaywow. As a person from that area, How did you feel about it?
Speaker 7: I watched it when I was younger. I don't I think there's still like some stuff going on now. I don't watch anymore, but I do remember watching a couple of episodes when I was younger.
Speaker 5: I don't claim that much of that.
Speaker 7: When I think of New Jersey and I think of my experiences in this New Jersey and all that kind of stuff I have, I can understand some of it, but I don't. That's not that's not me in New Jersey. So when you're thinking about me when I talk about it, that's not, that's not really me. But I do remember watching it when I was younger.
Speaker 1: Aside from sports, what are you good at?
Speaker 5: I think just you know, just being personally.
Speaker 7: I mean a good friend, a good you know, son, a good husband, a good brother, just uh, somebody that you know, I like to spend time with, you know, people that I care about. So when when I'm not playing football, you know, I like, whether it's in the off season, or whether it's some downtime, uh like a you know, a Monday night heading into an off day on a Tuesday, Uh, just hanging out with my wife and us doing you know something, whether it's you know, something as small as going out to eat, going on a date like that, or you know, hanging in and watching you know, some shows on TV.
Speaker 5: Whatever it is.
Speaker 7: So I think just you know, when it's outside of football, because so much of your time in this uh, in this business is put into the game of football, and so much times invested into it, and you got to sacrifice so much time that when you're out of it in the off seasons, or on those you know, down times, you got to you know, spend time with the people that help you get there, and then that's something I probe myself phone.
Speaker 1: Final question, This one's kind of deep. If you could meet anybody in history, living or deceased, who would that person be.
Speaker 5: My my dad's dad.
Speaker 7: He passed away when my dad was, you know, even younger than I am right now. So I think I think, I think it would have to be him just to kind of get an understanding of, you know, where, you know, how my dad grew up and then obviously how he raised me. So that's that's gonna be my answer here would be would be my uh my dad's dad, so my my my grandfather.
Speaker 5: On my dad's side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A good answer and a great fun facts episode. I appreciate your time, best of luck for the rest of the year.
Speaker 5: Awesome, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: That's going to do it for this episode of the Bengals Booth podcast, brought to you by pay Corps, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider by Alta Fiber Future Approve Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level and by kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Horde and thanks for listening to the Bengals Booth podcast