Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number two sixteen of the Marine Layer Podcast. We welcome on our guy and Mariner's pitching prospect, Logan Evans, to discuss his ever changing sports fandom. Talk to him about bouncing between being a starter and a reliever, some of the dynamics with his friends down in the Mariners minor league system, and we chirped him a little bit so we had to keep him on his toes. We'll also discuss the George Kirby injury and a couple other tidbits around Mariners spring training. Your guys, reminder, make sure you're downloading all these podcast episodes. If you're listening on the audio side, please rate and review.
Speaker 2: Leave it five stars. We love seeing the Apple podcast reviews go up, so keeping going, guys. It's a blast to read and it does help the show out a bunch. If you're on YouTube, make sure like comment and please hit that subscribe button. You can follow us everywhere on social media at Marine Layer Pod. And we know we've been rolling it out for a few weeks now, but go over to our Patreon page. We're about to roll out a bunch of new ideas. We can't wait to get more involved with you guys, go check out our Patreon that's patreon dot com slash marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling, and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast Network, Recording on Monday evening, March tenth. It's been a bit of a slow news week for the Mariners over this past weekend. So uh wow, let's talk to some Seahawks. What was your reaction going to be if Aaron Rodgers signed?
Speaker 2: Who? Can I put all my Seahawks things in a box and chuck them out a window or something like that?
Speaker 1: Or sorry, right after all your Mariner stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh though, sorry that I'll be gas light by Aaron Rodgers once he comes here. For all the people that are mad, I've got five simple letters R E, L A X. No, I'm not gonna relax.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't even like Aaron Rodgers, but I thought it would have been objectively hilarious if they signed him.
Speaker 2: Oh, if you want it from a content perspective, oh, off the charts. I'll tell you what. The two teams that share stadiums next to each other, if Aaron Rodgers was here, there would be god, no, no, shortage of content.
Speaker 1: Dude, we just need a Jerry to Poto presser on a Saturday and an Aaron Rodgers pressure on a Sunday. Man, you can't, doesn't even matter who's listening to this.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 1: You can't tell me with the straight face that wouldn't be entertaining.
Speaker 2: And then and then a player, another former player, calls him out during the midweek, and.
Speaker 1: Look, you'd only have to deal with it for one year because he'd probably just did. The Seahawks would say, get the hell out of here.
Speaker 2: Uh huh oh I even met Mariners because you know that just happened with Justin Turner.
Speaker 3: But yeah, what.
Speaker 1: What would the Mariners comp have been for signing Aaron Rodgers if the Seahawks signed him.
Speaker 2: I don't even know. I guess if you want to think about legendary at his position, future Hall of Famer, but pretty much washed. Nobody's got the takes and thoughts that Aaron Rodgers has in baseball, at least not that we know of publicly. I guess it would be similar to if they signed Justin Verlander. But Justin Verlander one day just went off the rails and had just unhinged thoughts every day something like that.
Speaker 1: I think this tells us we need more baseball players on McAfee. Then we'll find one.
Speaker 2: That will never the day Rogers just let it all go on McAfee's show. I mean, just the scrolling of Twitter that day was insanity.
Speaker 1: Once we get baseball players to talk more, Agan, that's our mission here, dog right, we want baseball players talking more.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: One of the I would say downsides of that is that people sometimes get a little too transparent.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, Well can be known to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think there is a Mariner's comp or a baseball comp for a team signing Aaron Rodgers. Again, I think that Justin Verlander thinks the closest thing I've got, But it would have to involve Justin Verlander going off the rails.
Speaker 1: It would be like, so Gino's not Logan Gilbert. I think Logan's too good for that. But let's say, can I trade Brian Woo for Justin Verland?
Speaker 4: Or is it?
Speaker 1: Would that be a good one? Or am I stepping over a line here?
Speaker 2: That's stepping over a line. No, that's a terrible trade. Okay, I mean, how about this, What if the Mariners just asked Aubrey Huff to come out of retirement.
Speaker 1: So who are you trading off the roster? Is this trading Let's see, it's like, let's say, getting rid of Randy and putting Aubrey Huff back in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be something like that.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I don't think they'll be received very well.
Speaker 2: I mean, is Aubrey Huffs still online or did they finally like kick him off again because he was kicked off for a while just for being too unhinged.
Speaker 1: It's a good question. I feel like, based on the current climate, he's probably back.
Speaker 2: Probably. Yeah, there's no comp for this. There's no baseball comp for the Aaron Rodgers thing. Thank goodness, it's not Aaron Rodgers. But hey, there's five minutes of Seahawks talk for you, slash well, Seahawks slash baseball comparisons. Because there's not a whole lot of There's not a whole lot going on in Mariner's world right now.
Speaker 1: The only real thing going on in Mariner's world is who's not going to be going on for the next couple of weeks while it gets better in George Kirby. So George got shut down with shoulder inflammation last week. Doesn't sound serious. He'll miss a couple starts. At the beginning of the season, he wanted to keep throwing. They had to rip the ball out of his hand. So typical, George. It sounds like, Uh, is there any level of worry with.
Speaker 2: This for you? Not after justin Hollander gave his press conference about it, and you heard him and saw him on video describing it. No, it sounds like to me that this is very precautionary now to say that George doesn't have the injury and the inflammation. Obviously he does, that's what was diagnosed. But the fact George, you know, was so adamant that like, you're not taking the ball out of my hands. I'm gonna work through it. I don't want to I don't want to miss any time. Paired with what Hollander said that this is not serious. There's no structural damage now, I'm not really concerned at all. To be honest, this sounds to me like, especially with the time that he's now expected to miss. They say, I'm gonna guess this is two to three starts that Kirby misses, and then I'll be right back in there before April's even over, So that's essentially only like, it's not like a position player missing time, right with a position with a starting pitcher only going once every five days. That is, essentially, if the timeline I'm estimating is right, two to three games where you do not get George Kirby's impact, aka, you have to make up for twelve to eighteen innings, and I think Emerson Hancock is perfectly capable of doing that. So no, I'm not really concerned.
Speaker 1: Just catch a kind of off guard though, to see a Mariner's pitcher on the injured list for a non fluke reason. A lot of Brian Wo's injuries last year were fluky, especially once the season was actually underway and he was pitching and whatever. I forget the injuries he had, but they were not It seemed very random at that point. And then you had Castillo at the end of the year who almost just like kind of landed funny on his hamstring and caused him to miss his final two starts of the season. But in terms of just like a shoulder flaring up, not something we're quite used to seeing for the last i'd say two years, and I just want to i'd say invite our listeners back in.
Speaker 3: Is that.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, stuff like this almost certainly will be more of a reality. It's just bound to happen as this season goes on. They the Mariners pitchers last year missed a combined Did they even miss a combined twenty starts? I don't think so, right, maybe less than that.
Speaker 2: So Wu missed about the first five to six weeks of the year last year. That was more of a real injury what he had because he had looking it up here, they called it medial elbow inflammation is what the wording was. So the elbow inflammation thing last year, for that was a real injury. So he missed some time with that. But you're right, once he got back he had I want to say he had a also a hamstring thing, or maybe it was a quad thing. I remember something that took him out of a game again and by the ball, didn't he what's that? Didn't he get hit by a ball? I don't think so. Remember he had something where he was sitting for a long time between innings and he got tight and he had to come out of that game. So I thought that was something in his legs. Yeah, So anyway, point being, you're right that a lot of Woo's injuries last year were very kind of unique, and we're not you know, could be a little fluky. But yeah, the Mariner's starting pitchers didn't combine to miss twenty starts last year, No way. Logan made every start, Kirby made, No Kirby missed one last year. Remember he had a little something last year. Anyway, whatever, let's I'm gonna stop trying to sit here and crunch all the numbers. But yeah, there is no way the Mariner's pitching combined to miss less than twenty starts last year. They were incredibly healthy, which is pretty rare.
Speaker 1: And it's unlikely that number they missed less than twenty starts again this year. So they're already off. They're already getting started on that number before the season even starts at this point, so just be cautious. There's a lot of workload with a lot of these guys going into this upcoming season. The Mariners need him all to be healthy. But unfortunately Kirby is not gonna be healthy to start this year. I'm very happy for a guy. Emerson gets opening day rotation spot. That's awesome. Gets to debut those new pitches.
Speaker 2: Second year in a row two because he was in the rotation for a while last year until we got back. So again, I know so many people out there already have their opinions about Emerson, and I'm not saying he has the same stuff that got him drafted sixth overall out of Georgia. We know he's dealt with some injuries in his career, but like, he's still twenty five years old and he's still working on some things. He's still trying to debut a few new pitches and find his own rhythm in the big leagues. And by the way, he's made fifteen career starts. It's not like he's thrown for five seasons a big league ball Like I don't I'm not writing them off. Let's see what he's got.
Speaker 1: It's exciting. Let's see the vial. I hope that for him, the Villa is there on opening day. Villa was working for him, has been working for him quite a bit this spring, so we'll see if that holds up when the regular season gets there. I'd say one last note for me dog about this weekend, Man, old man Colt Emerson keeps looking better I mean, this dude wants in perspective. So he hit his first spring training home run this past weekend, one hundred and twelve off the bat at Sloan Park against the Cubs. I was curious. I was like, all right, I forget the total number of the amount of professional games he's played total as a Mariner, the total amount, and I'm counting the year he was drafted. I'm counting the Fall league as well. He realize Colt Emerson has played one hundred and seven total professional games, one hundred and seven, and I'm watching him in these at bats against big leaguers at nineteen, and he looks totally comfortable. That is rare stuff. I don't remember Jared or Julio or any of these other top prospects one hundred and seven games into their professional career in the minor leagues looking this comfortable. It's not guaranteeing big league success at all, but I gotta say here in spring he looks good.
Speaker 2: He looks great. And by the way, that home run came off of Kate Horton, who's a top pitching prospect in baseball. Most outlets have him somewhere in the top thirty to fifty. It's not like he hit it off some scrub. It's not like he hit it off some aging vet that's just trying to hang on in a big league camp. No, he hit it off a real dude, and at one hundred and twelve miles an hour. I don't know where Colt's going to start the year. I would still assume Everett because he did struggle by the numbers with the Aqua Sox last year once he got up, and he hasn't spent that much time in High A yet. But regardless, if he continues to hit like this, he may not be an effort for long. And I'm really interested to see what the end of his twenty twenty five looks like because the start of it, Oh, the start of it's pretty exciting.
Speaker 1: And then around the American League, Uh, wow, it's wide open.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's what I was going to say about the pitching, Yeah, which is, Look, nobody's happy that George Kirby's missing time. Obviously you want everybody healthy, but you could be in a worse spot. Not only have the Yankees already lost the reigning Rookie of the Year and Luise Heel for a significant amount of time. Garrett Cole just got announced he's having Tommy John surgery. So the Yankees' ace isn't gonna pitch all year, and the team that just made the World Series last year looks extremely vulnerable all of a sudden, No onon Soto, No Garrett Cole, Luise Heels on the shelf. I'm looking past Aaron Judge on this team who has not exactly had a clean bill of health his whole career. They don't look all that imposing all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not unless you're a big believer in Jazz Chisholm or Carlos Rodon living up to his twenty twenty one season. Yeah, we're twenty two.
Speaker 2: You need Max Free to stay healthy, you need Cochy Bellinger to stay healthy. There's a ton of question mark. There's a world of the Yankee could win I don't know, eighty three eighty four games if things shake out and if things don't go well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that should give you some optimism if you're out there and you're looking for a reason to believe in this Mariners season, Well, I'm telling you what. You look around the American League and it's there's not that much of a gap between all of the teams at the top. It's pretty tightly packed together. I think it's just as likely the Mariners emerge towards the front of that pack as they miss the playoffs, because the margin for error is probably ninety the margin of these teams. The ceiling feels like it's like ninety two.
Speaker 2: Right, let's just go through the contenders. We just talked, you know, we just talked about the Yankees. But Yankees Los Juan Soto missing a ton of pitching, missing their ace, Orioles needed more done this offseason, didn't really do it. They brought in Tyler O'Neil, they brought in Toma Yuki Sagano, they brought in Charlie Morton. It's not like they lift the world on fire with their offseason. Royals probably about the same range that the Mariners will be in. Those two teams are pretty similar last year. Guardians will still be good. We know that Rangers people are starting to pick them as a sleeper to win the Al West. But that's a team that finished under five hundred last year. You got the Astros who lost Kyle Tucker, they lost Alex Bregman. They might have added some back, but then you lost Erlander. Two. It's wide open, wide open. It is a weak league this year.
Speaker 1: Now, man, oh, go ahead, I was gonna say, And then the Tigers are pretty fluky. And then the rest of the Al East was not good last year as talented as they are, like not that good or under resourced if you're the Tampa Bay race. So you look at that, the gap is not very large. There could probably be ten teams within seven games of each other seven games talent wise, maybe not results wise because they actually have to play the games, but talent wise, it's really not that much much difference. And that leaves the window wide open for the Mariners. And if you want to even bring it back to the off season for thirty seconds, you can look at this to two different ways. You look at this as, wow, this was a major missed opportunity to put yourselves head and shoulders above everyone else in the league, which, by the way, it wouldn't have taken that much to go above everyone else. Right now, say like Christian Walker, you could argue would have put you over the rest of the American League at this point, or you could say, well, because now that the Yankees are worse, it doesn't matter that we didn't invest as much in the roster this offseason because everyone else has clumped in a group together and we're right there with everybody else. Well, that's two different ways to look at it. I would have rather had Christian Walker, but you know there are two There are ways to look at this.
Speaker 2: Now, what if you just signed Christian Walker and Hasan Kim'd be pretty good? How are people talking about you right now?
Speaker 1: Very positively?
Speaker 2: Not gonna do it, not gonna do it.
Speaker 1: You gotta smile on your face because you know it's positive time.
Speaker 2: The shaking of the fists and clenching of the teeth. I don't know. Yes it's positive time, but I don't know if you know. I felt the red coming through there. It didn't come out, but I can feel it in me. I was thinking about this. By the way, I'll just I haven't told you this yet. I'll just bring it to everybody here on the podcast. Okay, So obviously I've made it a little goal as of late to not just blow up about every single thing and always be going on rants and scale that stuff back a little bit. If there's ever a time where I feel like I'm really going to go on a ramp, but don't want to bother the people and do them a disservice of just hearing a bunch of screaming. What if I just make a statement instead where if something really goes down that I can't stand, I just opt out of a podcast, Like I'll still do all the editing, and I'll still post all the video stuff, but for the actual recording, you just have to record thirty minutes on your own. It's likely i'll uh opt it out of this podcast.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna do that, I think we need a notesap post every time you do that.
Speaker 2: Or how about it that's fine, or how about just the video I'm opting out of this podcast story to come okay?
Speaker 1: All right, well yeah, sure if you feel like that best suits you.
Speaker 2: And yeah, me and the people sometime blasting people's ear drums on fire.
Speaker 1: Come on, Lyle, it's still April.
Speaker 2: Well it's not even April. It's March tenth when we're recording this.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Just the thought, maybe maybe put into action and do time. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe by August first, when the ifbms don't trade for Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 2: I might have to opt out of that one. Stand it that may actually happen, but we'll see it might.
Speaker 1: Odds has gone up as we were saying.
Speaker 2: Should we get people that are interview with Logan Evans here in a minute? Yeah, let's do it. Before that, Let's take a quick pause. We'll talk to you, guys about our friends over at Pagatcha's Pub eight five. We talk to you about it all the time for very good reason. It's an awesome spot to go hang out. You want to watch these spring training games now a bunch of them are on TV. March Madness is right around the corner, you guys, one of the most fun sporting events of the year. You need a place with a bunch of TVs to watch all the games with your friends. Head over there. There's more than twenty in that place. You can also get some great food and there's awesome happy hour drinks which are Monday through Friday from two to six pm. You, guys, and drinks are three and four bucks. Those are awesome deals. You can't tell me they're not awesome deals.
Speaker 4: They are.
Speaker 2: So if you want a fun time out with your friends, place to watch sports, good place to hang out, have some good drinks. All of that is over at Pagatcha's Pub eight five in Kirkland.
Speaker 1: I think it's only fitting that while we got to sit down with Logan Evans down at spring training, because as soon as we made our connection with him for the first time last year about this a little bit later from this time last year, I'd say about ten months ago, roughly, we could tell he'd be a good guy, a good candidate to have in a setting like this, and I think this sit down definitely shows some of Logan's personality. It's also a will you know, talk a little bit about baseball. He had a really interesting year last year when he's bouncing between the bullpen and the starting rotation, what's next for him this year? He's able to, you know, break down and describe a lot of what makes him unique, what makes all the pictures in this org unique, So of the dynamics he has with guys like Mikey Morales and Brandon Garcia and Danny Wurchanski and all these other guys. A really good conversation. I will note Low and I had some audio issues with our microphone. We might sound a little echier than Echo, err than Logan does. What's important is you can hear Logan Evans. You can listen to Lou and I yap all day, So that's that's the important part. But overall, a great conversation with Logan Evans.
Speaker 2: Logan's audio is perfect, by the way, There's no issues here in Logan, And that's the important part, because, like t I said, do you really need to sit there and listen to us say a bunch of stupid shit? We do that twice a week, and actually more times than that because we put it on social media too. So yeah, it's an awesome conversation. You can still hear us perfectly fine, you can still hear the whole conversation. Just wanted to give you a heads up. But Logan is Logan's our guy. And to what you alluded to earlier in the episode about mariners needing more arms this year, not only did Logan have an interesting year in DOUBLEA last year, he had a really really good year to the point where he is probably seventh in line in the organization right now to make a start. In other words, there's probably a pretty decent likelihood that we're going to see him in Seattle in twenty twenty five. And he's a guy with real upside, big stuff, a big arsenal, and a chance to be a really good big league starting pitcher. So you want to get to learn about a guy who may play a real role on this Mariner team in twenty twenty five and moving forward to some extent, Go listen to this one because it's a really fun one and he's just awesome to listen to.
Speaker 1: Well, not keep you guys any longer. Let's get you to the interview with Logan Evans.
Speaker 2: All right, another sit down interview. We're joined by our friend Logan Evans, Aernord's pitching prospect. Had an awesome year last year. I've been waiting to say this to you, honestly for a few months now, so I'm ready to get it off my chest. You're a sellout. Do you know where I'm going with this?
Speaker 3: No? I do not. Oh yeah, I know here.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be about my football team, isn't that. There's gonna be about how I light the Titans because of Derrick Henry's gone.
Speaker 3: Now I'm big Lions fan, jumping on the wagon.
Speaker 4: All right, So maybe your parents spoiled it a little bit. They spoiled a little bit, a little bit the other day. Yeah, first time you're on with us.
Speaker 2: You're talking about I'm this Detroit sports fan.
Speaker 4: I grew up loving Tigers.
Speaker 2: I grew up loving the Pistons, but the football, Oh, I couldn't root for the Lions anymore, so I became a Titans fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Fast forward of this offseason, I'm seeing you with Lions games with hashtag go on with your family.
Speaker 3: So you yeah, I guess you could say that I jumped on the wagon. I would. I will say that.
Speaker 5: I did support the Lions for most of my life, and then it was like the sixteen years is when I was like, you know, I gotta get off. My favorite player is Derrick Henry, So realistically, I'm just like a fan of the players, and he happened to be on the Titans. I also loved aj Brown. But yeah, you could label me as that I don't take any offense.
Speaker 6: That shouldn't you be a Ravens fan then isn't that more Wouldn't that be more enjoyable than being a Ravens fan being a Lions fan.
Speaker 3: I think I think I bought myself a well.
Speaker 5: I got gifted to Derrick Henry Ravens Jersey, so I I I rep that, but I just have no ties to Baltimore. Obviously being from Michigan, I can I can say that I grew up like liking the Lions, especially when we had like Stafford and Calvin Johnson. So I just yeah, I didn't didn't feel any like real connection to the Ravens. So that's kind of I hop back on the wagon. And Gibbs is just like an electric player, so I enjoy watching him. I got those tickets to the Thanksgiving game, so things are adding up.
Speaker 2: Are you more of a Sonic or Knuckles guy?
Speaker 5: I'm a big Gibbs guy. I like the flashy. My dad is big Knuckles. He loves he loves Montgomery, the physicals stuff that he brings to the table. I don't mind Montgomery, but I want the home run hitters. I mean it's like it's like baseball, like you love the guys who are contact guys get on base, but everybody want to see the home run.
Speaker 6: Well, since he mentioned a Derick Henry Ravens Jersey at you might know where my train of thought is leading here. Doesn't that feel like and let's run this idea by you too, since it almost feels like more of a rarity jersey.
Speaker 4: Would you wear?
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, I went to Lallapalooza back in the day and I and I was repping the Kevin Garnett te Wolves jersey.
Speaker 3: So I think I would rip that a Coachella. It's it's a nice jersey.
Speaker 6: If you heard our theory on Coachella jerseys, so it's you pick like either a good player or an irrelevant player but somewhere and this is them playing on a team that they're not known for. Yeah, I wouldn't say Derek Henry is known as a raven. He's a raven neat, but I won't say he's known as a raven. So you see a Raven's Derrick Henry jersey at Coachella.
Speaker 5: You're like, oh yeah, yeah, no, yeah, I definitely feel like that that passes the test of being a Coachella jersey for sure. I mean years later, obviously he's playing for them now, but years later, if I were to go to that and I was wearing that, I'm sure I would get comments on it. I think everybody'd be like, damn, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Jersey.
Speaker 6: Do you have any other ideas for for jerseys. We're spitting out some some m's ideas.
Speaker 4: Have any that you might.
Speaker 2: Think doesn't have to be Barron as it could be anybody, like yeah, this is an example. Have you ever seen that video that circulates on Twitter and it's that remixed version of Viva LaVita playing Cold Play, And it's like all these just highlight reels of like Sammy Sosa with the oriol Yeah, yeah, yeah, those are essentially Coachella Jersey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that are exactly Thaker.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think a cool Titans one would be like the Randy Moss he played there for a year or two, maybe just like touchdown. I feel like that would be a great Coachella Jersey exactly. So you're you're looking, you probably see that in the crowd. You're like, I didn't know he played for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to think of a Lions player that would be like a like a crazy Jersey poll. Uh yeah, yeah, that would that would get a lot of reaction.
Speaker 3: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: Were you still a Lions fan when he ran out of the end zone for safety?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, no, I that that was one of those ones on sports and you're like, this is my team, Like I'm cheering for that guy that's brutal.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, I was definitely a fan of them. Then.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: We start off hot, we tell you're a sellout with on a scale of one to ten, how close were we on the Michael Morales care scale of chirping?
Speaker 5: That's like a that's probably a six or seven. Yeah, Mike, Mike can uh, he can take some shots and we're running it back and forth, but it's not her personal you know, it's always funny games.
Speaker 6: Can you describe going to battle with Mikey Morales? You show up to the port? Actually, no, he picked you pick him up or he picks you up.
Speaker 3: I forget the I pick him up. Yeah, he's low bro.
Speaker 6: You pull you pull up to low Brough's house. Yeah, you unlock the door. What's going through your mind when you're getting ready to chirp up?
Speaker 5: So our infamous uh argument that we had for weeks on end last year was he had a great performance against Tulsa, went five or six innings twelve K's I just give him a little paths like, dude, do sweet, good job. Next day, I went like six perfect innings and I was like, that's how you get it done.
Speaker 3: Just hit him with it. Uh.
Speaker 5: So we had this argument back and forth on what was more, what was better, what was more valuable. But yeah, a lot of that derives from, like on field play, we always are joking around.
Speaker 3: Obviously it's easy to do when we're having success.
Speaker 5: I don't really think we're going back and forth if we were to have like a big hiccup in the road, But yeah, that's kind of where it derives from.
Speaker 6: I gotta give Mikey credit. Out of all the people we've talked to Amerner's camp and a lot of amazing people out of here, I don't think there's a single one.
Speaker 4: Who has a personality bigger than a Hans.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The ability to literally say anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, he he doesn't hold back. He says what's on his mind. But yeah, it's what makes him awesome. He's got such an authentic personality and you feel like you can have a conversation with him any day.
Speaker 3: And uh yeah, he's a great kid. I love him.
Speaker 2: When Morales was on with us over the off season, he was talking about a video where somebody had a big hit down in Arkansas.
Speaker 4: But your parents couldn't focus on that.
Speaker 2: When the video was tweeted out, they noticed you and Morales were just sure, like eye something if you can even share what it was.
Speaker 5: That what it was that I believe I could be incorrect, but it was in Wichita and that was exactly what I was telling you as well. It was like a few weeks after he had the twelve punches, I went perfect, and we're talking like this and that, we're asking everybody's opinion in the dog out what do you think is better? This is and that and uh, and I to mention obviously he did win Picture of the Year, but I got Picture of the Week and that that that week in the Texas League. So I was like, they kind of know exactly what what we're arguing about.
Speaker 2: So I say this all out of lot because all three of you and really your full double a rotation who we all had the chance to talk to it all five, but you were awesome. You Readigi Morales or chance Kiy and Morales get Picture of the year.
Speaker 4: Awesome, awesome year.
Speaker 2: But it was that, Yeah, did Morales come up to you after winning that and saying that's how it got.
Speaker 5: Uh sort of you beat her on the bush. Yeah, there's some times where he's like, yeah, I'm Picture of the Year, So I'm like, I can't fault you for that. You had a great season. But yeah, we are always like going back and forth. We're always chirping. Hopefully we get up to the league and we're having these battles and and doing well there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but it's good. He definitely drops it sometimes.
Speaker 6: So you and Mike you're going at it. What are Danny and Brandon doing.
Speaker 5: Danny's super genuine kid like always nice, you know Danny. I mean, he never really gets on the action big kind of just like talks to any of the players who are around us when we're arguing and be like, these guys are just idiots. They don't he doesn't really jump in on it, but yeah, they're they're usually on the on the chill side for sure. Uh, Scoot Scoot jumps in there. Sometimes. He's funny, he's got quick comments. He's he's a funny kid. Him and Alfred are like quick, witty, but they they don't really jump in like me and Mikey do.
Speaker 3: When me and Mikey.
Speaker 5: Step in a room, it's always competition about anything. I mean, we could be playing pool back at our airbnb, video games, whatever it is, We're gonna be super competitive. We're both trash. But it's honestly like it's back and forth every game. No one really dominates the pool table. So yeah, it's back and forth.
Speaker 4: You had a pretty wild ride last year. You start as a starter.
Speaker 6: Yep, then you go to a reliever for a little bit, and then you come back to being a starter. I want to go to the first transition when they call you to be a reliever, like what are you thinking about?
Speaker 4: Like what how do you feel like it's going to go at this?
Speaker 5: At that point, I was sitting there thinking like, dude, I have this figured out.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I had come off a like picture of the month. I mean, Jerry called me, so I'm just like, dude. Present Based Operations called me telling me I'm going into the bullpen and hopefully I can help out the team. I'm thinking, like everything's perfect. So I get into the bullpen and honestly, I felt like I transitioned pretty well. I'm such a creature of routine, so that was definitely a bump in the road learning new things as a reliever, but I.
Speaker 3: Felt like I took to it well.
Speaker 5: Obviously, Santos came back earlier than they had anticipated, so that kind of factored in on why I never ended up going up. And then my last outing I kind of just like had a hiccup in the road. That was my first one really in pro ball. So I learned a lot about myself, Like do I take to results too much? Was I worrying about how I was like processing or was I just focus on the results. And in that moment of time, I was like so worried, like, oh, I let up four runs and this is nine and done that, like I said previously, in pro ball. So it took a little time for me to like really get downpacked on what I should be evaluating myself on. But towards the end of the year, I learned like I need to focus on what I can do. I can't control the results. And sometimes and you guys have watched me, and I'm sure people out here viewing have watched me, like I'm a pretty chill guy on the mound, But sometimes you need to tap into like the reliever, like just go and blow it past them and go a little lunar tick. So I use that and then kind of put what I learned and throughout the whole year into the playoffs and it succeeded.
Speaker 3: So it was good two part follow up to that.
Speaker 6: So if you need to go a little bit lunatic, are you a caffeine guy before you starts?
Speaker 5: No, I uh, I've been taking out of all my entire life, so I don't. I don't like to get like all that in me and get jittery. I need that for focus. So trying to have heart health when I'm older.
Speaker 6: That's smart, very smart. Yeah, very smart of you looking ahead like that. I will say some of the relievers do try and go sid We're talking to our buddy keep Spire and he's like like third or fourth inning pre workout yep, And I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: A lot of the guys will stroll in on game days with their bangs or their rain or anything of that nature, and they just they get going. But yeah, like I said, I for just for health reasons. I don't like to do all that reason.
Speaker 1: I have a healthy thing for you.
Speaker 5: Smelling salts, Oh yeah, I've done that.
Speaker 3: That'll get you going, Yeah, that will get you going. For sure some of your back pocket.
Speaker 6: You're up as the dude's walking into the batter's box, You're going, all right, the batter is going to be looking at you with white eyes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, what's wrong with this guy channeling you're inner?
Speaker 4: Ricky?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Have you guys? I know this a little off. Nobody.
Speaker 5: Have you seen the prank videos of people saying like they got this new fragrance and they go around with smelling salts like in the middle of the mall. Oh, I'll make sure to show you us. But it'll it'll you'll crack up. It's hilarious. I mean, it's a little messed up. You want to have to random people like you want to smell this? They go and then they do this huge thing like.
Speaker 3: What the hell is that?
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's pretty funny. But yeah, I don't I don't use any of the smelling salts or or pre workout in game getting ready for that. I just kind of just flip it in the mode.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you're a lot healthier person than some of our friends we went to school with. You talk about players showing up with bangs. I'll just use our own comparison here, which is totally relatable. We would have friends when we would go out on Fridays and Saturday nights who would legitimately make themselves fought ka bangs.
Speaker 4: And I good health. You're done.
Speaker 3: That's like a four loco.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does sound like a four logo. Okay, might be a little more extreme.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Four. It might just be illegal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's gotta be banned.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, that's not your thing. You're a little more chill when you get into games.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, your buddies are probably having a great night, but the next day it was probably miserable for them.
Speaker 4: They probably want to get out of bed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, actually the friends I'm thinking of, I don't know if yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So eventually you go back to a starter's role.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's a part of you when you're in that relief outing or in that relief role thinking to yourself this way, then how could you not be enamored by that and obviously paired with doing what the team ass here to do and giving it you're all when you went back to the starter's role, though, is there any part of you, especially talking about being so routine oriented that you're like, all right, I can get back to a little bit more of what I know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely relied on the foundation that I had created at the start of the year, so I was kind of just getting back into those routines. I just remember, like during that build up, because I had to build back up in innings and I would just learn something each time. I talked about this in the last time when I was here. But like my baseball car, I look at it like a ten thousand piece puzzle. So I'm just still adding little pieces every single day and I still do it today. But at that time, yeah, I was just trying to get back in the flow of everything, building back up, obviously getting my work, but getting back down on those routines. And I just felt like every single outing I was learning something good or bad. But I was just trying to take something that I can use the rest of my career.
Speaker 6: Does it feel better going into this spring knowing your I'm gonna guess only going to be a starter. Yeah, one area of your game you.
Speaker 4: Need to focus on.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, it definitely feels great.
Speaker 5: And uh, I mean it doesn't hurt to be surrounded by the best starting staff and in all the baseball So yeah, it's it's great to know that I'll be in like a pretty secure role as a starter. Do I know like what they have in the future for me, if they want me to go back to ten, No, But if I if they do choose that again this year, like I'll kind of have like some knowledge obviously doing that last year, so I don't feel like it will be as much of a curveball. But yeah, I think being a starter for me is where I'm most comfortable, where I have the most success. So it is a pretty relaxing feeling.
Speaker 6: What is it like being around I would also imagine you're around them a lot more this year. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I didn't really get to talk to them a lot last year, obviously coming in spring training just being on the minor league side and making my first impressions. But it is it's special, It really is. You you learn how authentic each one of them are. Bryce is like a really good guy. Uh loves to talk to everybody in the club house, just kind of doing his little walk.
Speaker 3: He's got his little strat. George is just super calculated. No he is not.
Speaker 5: No, we're not like the closest. But I've definitely gotten to speak to him. I just got to talk to George at lunch and us sitting there with Emerson, and both of them are just so calculated into their work. They really know what makes them them and they don't try to replicate anything else.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Castillo is just big dog like he walks in the room and you know, like he's been there, he knows his stuff. He's gonna do his work and get out of here. And then Wu has been in a tremendous help as well. Another like you just know, like he's kind of a California kid, but in a good way, Like he just buys into who he is. He's authentic. He also is just super calculated in his work. Everything he does is just like down to a science. And I pick up on those things. Maybe it's not communication like vocally, but I communicy by just watching them and seeing what they do. So yeah, I've picked up a lot of things. And I think it's just great to be surrounded by greatness.
Speaker 4: I hate to make you pick.
Speaker 2: One, but if there's one of those guys of the five where you feel like you've watched them just a little bit more intently than the others.
Speaker 5: And yeah, you know, I I think that The two that stick out to me in the way that we've just like they kind of taken me under their wing for this camp is Emerson and Brian Wu. I think, out of like the six guys, those are the two that have kind of taken me under their wing, and they've helped me a lot. I learned a lot of things from them from just a pure watching standpoint.
Speaker 3: I watched George.
Speaker 5: I've gotten like comparisons to just how calculated we are in our work. And I've seen him like he even like looks at the ball every time he throws it. It's not just on the mound, it's in his pregame bullpen, it's out there on the field in the backfield, is playing catch every day. He is so specific on everything he does. And I've taken that to be like you don't want to waste reps ever, like if you're playing catch on a late day like I had today, like I'm still gonna get my work in. So I've learned a lot from him. So those are three guys that I've taken a lot from this.
Speaker 4: M seven pitches.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't tinker a lot. I'd try to be who I am, like I'm a stuff guy like my I have a lot of movement on my pitches, obviously, trying to get command to be where it's like George hopefully one day. There are things that I like mess with a little bit, but that's just like some off season stuff I don't. I don't like to tinker a lot during season, so I wouldn't say much.
Speaker 2: What did you take away from last year that you either really liked about what you did or that you feel like you want to work on and you come into this year saying that, like, let's get.
Speaker 4: Better at that.
Speaker 5: There's a few things, So one I thought I was I've been pretty harsh on myself. Everybody says your biggest critic obviously, but I looked at sometimes last year I looked at it like I was like failing because I didn't go to the majors or I didn't succeed in the bullpen. And then I kind of took a step back and just realize, like where I'm at, Like I'm playing professional baseball. I'm on the cusp of making the major leagues. I was a twelfth rounder out of Pittsburgh, just happy to be here get a shot because out of Pittsburgh I really.
Speaker 3: Had no clue.
Speaker 5: Like my junior year out of Pittsburgh, I didn't get drafted, and I was like, this is kind of a harsh reality. So I always stuck stuck onto that feeling. So last year I learned to just be grateful and realize that I am doing pretty well. Another thing is like don't look into the future so much, like just let things come to me. I can't live in the future, I can't live in the past. I can control what I'm doing right now, and I think I'm gonna take that into this year and just realize, like if it's in double H the majors, like take it one day at a time. Don't worry about stuff that I can't control. And then the third one really is just like set goals I think are attainable, and obviously shoot for the stars, but I don't have to like be a guy who comes in and into the league and be the starter, like who has a zero era through five starts, Like there's gonna be bumps in the road, Just like take it one day at a time.
Speaker 2: Like I said, well, let me say this to follow up on what you just answered. You set the bar pretty ridiculously high. For yourself to start. So one, I get it, everybody's their own harshest critic. That's just true in life. But your first two months of the year, I mean, you could not pay yourself to have a bad start. You'd be sitting up here in Sea Island. It's like, well, Logan's on the Mounaday's probably going six shutout. I don't even remember what exactly it was at, but your ERA must have gotten down to one five at one point. Yeah, you were a twelfth rounder out of Pittsburgh who probably had or you've talked about it, were you left a lot on the table. Yeah, you're out here looking like the best arm in the entire system. I think it's I mean, baseball could be a game of failure, right, and everybody has their ups and down. So your point about perspective, is it easier to look back on that now? And so yeah, like there's a lot of things I really.
Speaker 4: Did well last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you're in like the heat of the moment, you don't really realize like success as much as you realize failure. Like, like you said, like my first two months, like I was pitching very well, had like a one to one ERA, and I'm throwing every six days or whatever, like feel like I'm just like going out there effortlessly. I got put on like Baseball America's top one hundred, Like these are things that I wasn't even like I didn't know that could you could do that as a twelfth rounder. But at the at that time, like I wasn't realizing like the things I was doing good at. And I remember, uh, Michael Peeples and Matt Pierrepont, who are unfortunately gone now, but they kind of sat down and it was like, dude, like celebrated a little like.
Speaker 3: I was down in corpus.
Speaker 5: I threw six shutout innings and I kind of came off and it was like, oh, I could have worked on this, Dude, you just threw six shutout innings in Double A in your first year. Like smile a little, you know. So yeah, I think that's something I'll definitely work on. And going off that point, I think I'm gonna try to be less internal and just worry about like what's going on mine instead of just being like they call it fastball, throw a fastball. Whatever happens happens.
Speaker 4: So you know what, I'm getting a sense out of you from that answer.
Speaker 2: I know for the most part you say I'm pretty chill even on start days, I don't. I don't get too high or too low. And I believe that for the most part. But it sounds like somewhere deep down in there there's a little bit of Kirby and Logan in the sense of on their start days, those guys you better not bother them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, zero to one hundred real quick.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying you're quite that, but somewhere in there there's a little part of you that's a little.
Speaker 3: Bit like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think. I think the only time that I'm like just kind of staying in my way, let me do my thing, is like pregame bullpen, like catch play. Like if I'm in catch play, like I don't want anybody ask me anything. If I'm going to the bullpen to go start warming up, Like I don't really want people like approaching me asking something, and like it's kind of an unwritten rule. People always understand that. But uh, yeah, I think there's a little bit of me in there for sure, Like you said, but for the most part of the start day, like I come in, I'm pretty chill talking with the guys, you know.
Speaker 4: That, all right.
Speaker 6: Last thing for me logan not wanting to look ahead too far, and I get that when I do that, it stresses me out.
Speaker 4: But if you thought ahead of the PCL.
Speaker 6: If you if that's where you end up, Yeah, Arkansas great pictures from the exact opposite.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I said, like you learned so much through success but also failure. I think I'd go into the PCL like expecting nothing and just learn from what comes to me. Obviously, I'm gonna go out there and try to do my best, try to throw seven shutty every time, but if that doesn't happen, learn how to pitch on those. Because expect the MLB, like you're traveling everywhere, different climates, different elevation, all these different factors, and I think the PCL simulates that much more than the Texas League clearly, So I think there would be a lot of valuable lessons in that. I've definitely thought about it, and I'm I'm excited if I get the opportunity, but obviously I don't know what's going to happen. Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, I'm I'm looking forward to the plane rides. I heard you actually don't have to go on ten hour bus rides to Vegas around Roun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Okay with that, do you ever look at advanced metrics all?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know you guys do internal if you look at things like x CR at all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have a system in place. Uh we call fx c r A. It's like you are expected R plus whatever they use on baseball savant. We definitely look at that. They actually broke that down to me, uh after the year, and I was like one hundreds, like major league. I think I was sitting around like one o one, one oh two. So like they're like, dude, you're already a major league pitcher, Like you're an average major league pitcher right now at twenty two year old. Like you can build on stuff for sure and and be great. But like they said, just realize what you've done.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: And the reason I asked that is because you know where your biggest fans, We're gonna kill it no matter where you go. Yeah, if there's some start when you're playing in Albuquerque or someplace with super high elevation where the ball is just flying unlike Arkansas, just start looking at that stuff.
Speaker 4: Just XCRA and say, you know what, here's what I'm actually doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody's the r gets balloon there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well what am I actual? Yeah like that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I always I love to look at those numbers as well, because obviously as fans, like we love to look at the win loss, we love to look at the era, but like, what what do you do that's like actually creating success for you? Like the FIP is a great example of the expected era is a great example. There's so many different stats now in baseball, which is awesome.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 5: I know some people don't, but I like to look at those things because it's like, oh, I am having success. I just was pitching in a ballpark that was three ten down the line and we're at three thousand feet of elevation and they just hit a home er at eighty five off the bat. Uh So yeah, there's there's definitely value in that.
Speaker 4: I got a couple more equipment questions. Yeah, anything fun you did this offseason? Like away from the.
Speaker 5: Baseball, dude, I was. I was big into this board game called Katan. Yes, oh dude, I I yeah, I rip it on my phone still. So I played a lot of that with my my cousin, my best friends, my brother, girlfriend, anybody who wanted to play. We were playing. I obviously you guys saw went to the Lions Thanksgiving games. That was cool, but those were those were definitely the highlights. I like to just hang out with family a lot, my friends a lot, so those were definitely my highlights.
Speaker 4: Lion's win projection for twenty five.
Speaker 5: I mean, the thing is, I think they're under half for loss. I don't think they lose. I know everybody's like, I don't think that exactly. Everybody's like, oh, Ben Johnson is leaving this and that. Like the skill group that we have is just so incredible, And I really think that the NFC North is great and we kind of dominated last year. So like I'm ready to get in there and go. I think when our defense is healthy, like I don't really know how, Like I feel like everybody was on trained that the lines are gonna win the Super Bowl with a healthy roster this year across the NFL, So if we can keep everybody healthy, I really.
Speaker 3: Don't see a loss.
Speaker 5: Sure as sports, I'm sure there's gonna be but I want to be optimistic and say that they're gonna go perfect.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you have almost a full year with Yeah. Yeah, now polar opposite, you're type of the record literal polar opposite.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're gonna do under half a win seriously, seriously, Yeah, I would love that Penn State guy. I mean I'm big on him. I think he could be my Parsons. I think you would be so interesting. The Titans somehow pulled off drafting abdual Carter and then trading for Stafford and just seeing what they could play with that that would be the win win for me. I was obviously a huge Staffer fan, and Penn State guy abdul Carter was impressive. So I think that their win total would be set at seven and a half. I think that they could get over I think they could get an eight or nine. Yeah yeah, yeah, Will Levis, I mean I'm hoping for maybe three wins.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Now that's disgusting. That is that is foul work. I don't know what that dude's doing right there, but I mean it works for him. He's ripped, so I can't really chirp that.
Speaker 2: It works for him. Logan, you're the man. We always love talking to you. You know, we're rooting for you. I know Mari's fans are going to be rooting for you, and we'll stay up in here for you. You don't have to say it, but we'll say it. We'll see you in the big leagues at some point in five. We're gonna stay it.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you guys always, Thank you so much for the support, and thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: We really always do have a blast talk and a Logan he's so much fun. Hope you guys enjoyed that interview. And I've got a semi bold but not really bold prediction here. Next time we have him on the podcast, he's probably gonna be a big leaguer. So we're speaking that into existence for everybody here. Yeah, shout out to what's.
Speaker 1: That I said?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are, Yes, shout out to Logan. Shout out to him for sitting down with us. Hopefully you guys have become fans of Logan Evans at this point. He's certainly got our Marine Layer Pod stamp of approval and then some. So if you guys need any more reason to root for him, take it from us and take it from the interview because you heard it firsthand. All right. That just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer Podcast. You guys know the drill. If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods, make sure to download. Please go rate and review. Leave it five stars. If you're watching on YouTube, like comment and go hit subscribe on YouTube. That is the best way you can support this channel. Hit subscribe on YouTube. We really appreciate it. Go follow us everywhere We're on social media all platforms at Marine Layer Pod, post and content every single day. And one final time, go check out our Patreon. We're about to roll out a bunch of new stuff to go along with it. It's only a few weeks old, but we can't wait to start interacting with a bunch of you guys a lot more over there. That's TJ. I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.