Speaker 1: It is Thursday, April twenty seventh, Happy Draft Day. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. And now a guy who's anything but mister irrelevant, Jay P.
Speaker 2: Chaggery, and welcome in Jaguars Happy Hour on Draft Night twenty twenty three. Round one coming up at eight o'clock Eastern time. The Jaguars had the twenty fourth overall pick. If you're watching us on Jaguars dot Com or Jagsocial media, it's a live look inside Daily's Place, and we welcome you inside Daily's Place. We've got a busy hour ahead. Here's what's coming up on Jaguars Happy Hour. The NFL Draft is here for twenty twenty three. We'll hear from Jaguars analyst Jeff Loghman coming up, Jaguars dot Com.
Speaker 3: Senior writer John Ozer, and a draft a conversation.
Speaker 2: Just moments ago, I caught up with general manager Trent Bulky. We will hear that conversation in just a few moments. Well, Jeff Logoman, John Osier with me.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: We're on the second level at Daily's Place. The gates open at seven o'clock tonight, and John, it's always an exciting evening. Round one, no matter where the Jaguars are picking.
Speaker 4: Well, you just talk with Trent who they taking.
Speaker 3: We'll find. I don't think we're gonna find.
Speaker 5: One of the conversation is about, on a serious note, I think this is I say, a benchmark draft, but an important draft because it's the first of what I think is going to be the Jaguars drafts new era, meaning for the last ten or twelve years, they've picked in the top ten all but one year. I think now you're gonna see more drafts like this, more pre draft lead up like this. And Jeff, you have to be able to draft well in the bottom quarter of the first round if you're going to be a draft and developed team over the long haul, and this is the first time they get a chance to do that.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: I've said many times that the draft is the lifeblood of any franchise, and a lot of people think, well, you can't get that good of a player when you're drafting in the bottom third of the and that's not the case. I mean, there's good football players throughout the draft. You just got to do your homework and find good football players. Now, the interesting thing about this draft to me is is that if you look at all the different mock drafts. They're all over the map. I mean literally all over the map. There's probably about eighteen different players that are mocked where the Jaguars are picking. And to be honest with you guys, some years I've got kind of an idea, you know, but maybe narrowing it down to two or three players, I've got absolutely no idea for two reasons. One, I think this is a little bit of a question mark draft because there's a lot of unknowns about where guys are at and where they're stacked at. But then also, the Jaguars are very close to the vest I mean, and right now, it's hard to kind of get a little bit of a feeling.
Speaker 3: For where they're going to go, even offensively or defensively.
Speaker 2: I've got no idea, but I can tell you there's some really good football players that are going to be found at twenty four.
Speaker 3: Let's here.
Speaker 2: We'll hear from Frin Balke coming up in just a few moments, and we'll dig into some of those aspect some of those names a little bit later on the show. But a report this morning from JOHNSHIPLEYVESI dot com of a pending Cam Robinson's suspension for a violation of the performance enhancing Drug policy. Mike Deroco of ESPN reported that the second sample will be tested to confirm what it is and the length of the suspension. There are reports he could lose nearly nine hundred thousand dollars per game out. Well, the team is known about this for a while now. This is not a surprise this morning for the organization, So no big shake up of the draft board, but logs this is obviously a developing so we will see what happens in the future with it. Not ideal for the Jaguars. But should it change anything in draft press? Well, I think it always. You always have to take everything into consideration. Something like this. Absolutely, you take this in a consideration. Now, let's go back to this sample that you're talking about. When you take a PED test as a player, because I've taken quite a few of them, you pee in a bottle. Okay, that bottle is split into two samples. The biggest one goes into bottle A, and then a smaller one goes into bottle B. So if something hits on A, okay, they go back and retest the B part of that sample, which is the same exact curine sample, okay, but it's just been split into two parts.
Speaker 3: So they want to.
Speaker 2: Confirm so that what they're looking for is confirmation that in fact, the substance that was found in A will again be found in B and make sure that there is no mistake. So just to give people an idea, that's what the sample B is that you were talking about.
Speaker 5: Well, you hope that it doesn't influence their decision in round one too much.
Speaker 4: I know they have taken any.
Speaker 5: Consideration, but you hope, and I think Tran Balki sees it this way that you are drafting for the long haul more than you're drafting for a six game or four game or whatever. That suspension not becomes That said, I do believe with this class where it lines up at twenty four, and with the fact that they learned so much the importance of that swing tackle last year, I do think offensive tackle was in play anyway. If they draft one, everybody's gonna say, well, is because of the suspension. I think offensive tackle would also be a long term thing that makes sense for this franchise anyway.
Speaker 3: Or you've got a franchise quarterback.
Speaker 2: I mean, so tackle is always in play and you lost ja Won Taylor. Look, you signed in free agency Josh Wells, who was here for many years when he was a young player. And will he be a guy that can step in and be a starter for six games? Sure he could, and six games typical is typically what we've seen with ped suspensions around the league in the past. Will that in fact be it for Cam Robinson? We don't know until the league makes an announcement. But tackle is in play. And the reason why it's in play there's some really good tackles that are available. And also there's some really good right tackles that are available in this draft that are highly rated.
Speaker 3: We'll discuss some of those guys a little bit later tonight.
Speaker 2: Now back to draft day and general manager Trent Bulkey. Just a few moments ago, I sat down with him in the Jaguars draft room and asked him, now almost a decade of doing this as a GM in the NFL, what's this draft day routine.
Speaker 7: It's been the same all ten years, I think, you know. I get up early, we walked through some of the stuff in the morning. Ethan and I spent the morning going through some things on the board. The board's been set. You know, we haven't changed anything. We just kind of take one more look and then I usually head out for a run and get a few miles on the road and get back here and try to get ready for this thing.
Speaker 2: Are their nerves still? Is there anxiety? Is there a mix of both? None at this time or just a few hours away, you.
Speaker 8: Know, not really.
Speaker 7: You know, I think we've put in a lot of time, a lot of effort that went into this, you know, coaches, personnel, staff, There's been a lot of hours that we sorted through film and records on people, backgrounds, sha all the stuff that you do to get ready.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: Now it's more just kind of the anxiety, the anxiousness of getting this thing started. Finding out exactly who's going to be a jawar.
Speaker 2: You said last week, you're down to three or four guys that you really think could be in play there at twenty four. If it comes down to it and multiple of those three or four guys are available, how do you figure out which one you take?
Speaker 7: Well, that's already been decided, you know, we have a pecking order. Coach and I met with with Shad last night, went through our thoughts, you know, exactly the order we would pick them as they come off.
Speaker 8: Today isn't the day to debate who you're gonna go.
Speaker 7: After, right, we have three or four guys that we feel really good about, and we have more than that, you know, let's face it.
Speaker 8: I mean, you've got to be prepared for anything.
Speaker 7: But we've got a group of guys that were really interested in and we've got an order at which we would take them.
Speaker 2: How wild could it get at the top just seeing all these reports. I know you're not a big Twitter guy, but all that stuff combined the last day or two before the draft.
Speaker 3: Can be chaos. Is that reality tonight?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Everyone thought it was last year and very little went on, you know, so who knows?
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: That's the great thing about the draft, right, everything that happens. Nobody can really plan out. You really don't know until you're on the clock a lot of times whether you're going to make a move or not make a move.
Speaker 8: And it's no different for any other team. You know.
Speaker 2: Part of the draft process is bringing those drafted players back for a second contract that gives stability the organization. Devona Hamilton signed that was announced today extended draft pick here has worked his way up and really has been rewarded with a deal long term. And that's really the goal of the organization, right to get these draft picks to stick around for a while.
Speaker 7: You want to be a homegrown football team as much as you can, and we've been pretty fortunate the last couple of years. We've gotten some really good quality free agents and really good culture fits, really good football players. But the philosophy of this team, this organization is going to be draft and retained. And you know, Devon has worked his tail off and you know he's.
Speaker 8: A byproduct of that process.
Speaker 7: You know, he's a great culture fit, He's an excellent fit for the defensive.
Speaker 8: Scheme we run.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can't say enough good things about him in the contract that he signed earned.
Speaker 2: This is the last draft in this room, because next year you'll be in the football building.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 7: Well, you know this is a great room, it really is. We were talking to the ownership about it last night. Very few have this kind of space. We got three full screen videos going on. We can do a lot of things and here from a technology standpoint, the new one's going to be special though too.
Speaker 2: That's Trent Bulky Jaguars general manager in the draft room man, the Jaguars have nine picks in their pocket over the weekend. Well, if we know anything about Trent Bulke's draft history, he has been willing to move a lot in the drafts he has controlled. He's made twenty three draft day trades first, second, or third day. We'll see if that trend continues. Anything stand out there.
Speaker 5: John Well, I'd love to see him take those Day three picks, package them up and take them all and move into Round two JP and get us out of here on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Of course you will. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think.
Speaker 5: The calmness of the day versus what people think the draft really is, I think is always energy. People think there's fighting banging on the table. There's very little of that. Once you really on the clock. They know who they're going to pick at number twenty four, and there's a list of number twenty four.
Speaker 4: Jet Well.
Speaker 2: And there are some rooms though that do have some fighting going on on draft day. I mean, that's just the reality of it. And look, if you're disciplined, though, you stick to your board and you draft the best of best available player that's on your board, you know, And I think also that because a lot of people say, well, is need taking into account, Yes, it is, because that's how the board is stacked as well, because need is taken into account as well as the talent level of the players that are on that board.
Speaker 5: As much as that joke about it, Jay, I do think I've got many questions about this supposedly being a week day three draft.
Speaker 4: That's what you.
Speaker 5: Hear it is Trent in the past, I think it was two years ago. Trade it out of a day like that and try to get rid of as many places as possible and move into that next year. You wonder if that's not something to watch on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Could be? Could be? Could be?
Speaker 2: But I think the one thing that is for certain this football team is going to be looking at certain positions very strongly. I think one of those positions is gonna be cornerback, because this team has a need at corner. You would love to find a defensive tackle that can rush the passer. You would love to find a tight end that can block and catch the ball because Doug Peterson, we know, loves a two tight end set. So there's so many different players that fit into those categories. I think it's going to be a very interesting draft. And some of the ones that we have up on the screen right there. Devin Witherspoon is a total tone center. The guy watching his film John I love him. Christian Gonzalez is a guy that's got immense talent.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be awesome for where every team gets that.
Speaker 2: One of those guys or at corner would be a tremendous acquisition. Brian Branch I love him because he's a safety that plays nickel, He's got great football smarts. Joey Porter plays great man. I mean, there's a lot of great, great assets that are available, and those are five of them right there at corner.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll come back in a moment.
Speaker 2: We'll dig a little deeper into some of those prospects, some others on defense, certainly the offensive line if that's in play tonight for the Jaguars, and plenty more ahead of course tonight here at Daily's Place, it's the twenty twenty three Due Vault Draft Party, presented by Donovan Air, Electric and Plumbing. Seven o'clock. The gates open. Enjoy live draft analysis and on stage appearances. Head coach Doug Peterson will be here in select Jags players, including quarterback Trevor Lawrence Parking will be a bit tricky. There's the travel camp RV showing lot Jay Jacksonville Drumbo Shrimp game is schedule at least for seven. It's raining right now. We'll see if they get that in. So get here early. Gates open at seven o'clock, Raider Shine. We're under the cover at Daily's Place and this is Jaguars Happy Hour on the Jaguars Digital Network.
Speaker 9: Impossible to predict, you know. So I think there's gonna be good players there, but in terms of, you know, the runs that take place and where that goes, it's tough to see exactly who's going to be there when they pick, because everybody's all over the map this year. So I think they're in a pretty good spot. You know, they'll be able to go in a couple different directions. I think the corner of the group is so deep that I do feel like there's gonna be a corner to their liking that's there, you know when they pick.
Speaker 2: That's Daniel Jeremiah NFL Network with Brian Sexton and Arthur Bryant's Barbecue. Not a bad place for media day for the NFL Media department, Welcome back. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, Jake Shadrick, John Osier, Jeff Logoman. Of course, the full interview with Daniel, Jeremy and some other media personalities from NFL Network available now in Jaguars dot Com and the Official Jaguars Podcast network. So we touched on some of the defensive backs last segment. That was some of the conversation that Daniel was having right there with Brian Sexton as well. And here's the reason why. It's a position of need. Obviously, Shaq Griffin is gone. You got a thirty year old corner on the outside who played down the stretch on the outside last year.
Speaker 3: What's the real long term future for him? There? Trey Herndon has been resigned.
Speaker 2: How long do you feel like he could be available and at a high.
Speaker 3: Level for this team?
Speaker 2: Of course they love Tyson Campbell on the other side, So John, yes, why not? You can't have enough corners really in this league the way offense is played right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll defer to Jeff and ask Jeff this to me. Darius Williams struggled at Nickel, so he was better on the outside. You're not gonna dothing with Tyson Campbell. Out of the defensive backs that could be there at twenty four, is there somebody who you can play nickel in the short term and then kick out to the outside or do you have the same problem that you have a Darius not really strong in the middle, needs to be outside. Is there a guy that that makes sense with That's why I think Branch makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well, Branch makes sense because I think he can play anyone. I think he can play nickel, I think he can play safety. Could he play outside and play corner possibly, but I don't think that's the ultimate spot for him. But the top two guys that are there in my opinion, Devin Witherspoon and Christian Gonzalees. If for some reason, either one of these guys, and we were just talking about this turn to break, if either one of these guys happens to fall down to twenty four, you got to snatch them off. And there's a possibility that that could happen. But as Daniel Jeremiah said that, look, it's a deep position. Then you could pick up somebody that's you know, in round two or round three.
Speaker 3: They'll give you a name. Roley Moss at Iowa, a little known guy.
Speaker 2: That just I mean his effortless playing man coverage, and he's got great speed, and he's got a great resume. He's played multiple years. Said I there's a guy that the Jaguars could get him round two or a round three. I mean, so there's gonna be other opportunities, not just in round one, to fill that need that you have at corner. Let's stay on defense and pass rush, right. I mean, this is a group that we heard Doug Peterson talk about it in the pre draft lunch in last week. You know, they've spent some draft equity at that position and that idea at least the last two three years. Obviously number one overall pick last year, and he said that, hey, those guys have to get better as well, not that they can't supplement that. Maybe not in the first round, but at some point in this draft, John, you gotta maybe address that again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's such a tough call because you need to trust the guys that you drafted on the front seven last.
Speaker 4: Year to be your core up there this year.
Speaker 5: At the same time, you've got to get better in the pass rush. I don't think they will go pass rush at twenty four unless there's somebody special that they think is there. The guy that I keep hearing about last couple of days in terms of reading about associated with the Jaguars, reports that they're interested, et cetera, is the van Ness kid from Iowa. It seems like he's the best potential option there at twenty four. What do you think of him and what else could be there at twenty four?
Speaker 2: Well, for him, he hasn't started a lot of games that Iowa but.
Speaker 5: A program though that loves to play their seniors and make guys earn it. My understanding is yeah, so that's what sort of kept him out of that, that's the theory.
Speaker 4: Anyway, He's a.
Speaker 3: Very powerful player.
Speaker 2: A lot of people want to draw the comparison to Justin Smith, which I would kind of be slow to make that comparison great because Justin Smith is one of the strongest players to ever play the game, and look, Vanessa is a strong player.
Speaker 3: But is he that level? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Once you get to the NFL, it's a totally different thing. But the one thing that he doesn't have yet is an array of pass rush moves.
Speaker 3: Okay, he's an.
Speaker 2: Edge player that plays with a lot of power, likes the bull rushing.
Speaker 3: Can he learn to do more? Maybe? Maybe, But there's some other guys that are that are at that edge.
Speaker 2: Position and as an interior rusher that are other good options as well.
Speaker 3: Nolan Smith could be one of those guys. I think he's too small, JP.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, he come on when you play too when you play an edge position at two hundred and thirty five pounds, I mean, look, you got to get some leaden your shorts, and he doesn't have a whole lot of leadnis shorts. And I think he's a He's a stand up linebacker. Could he be an edge player on sub situation?
Speaker 3: Sure he could. Devin Lloyd almost yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean as far as size wise, been probably even a little bit smaller in stature than Devin Lloyd. I love him, though, I mean, don't get me wrong. I mean I love this guy, but I think he's a linebacker. I don't think he's an edge player. I think the best edge player in the draft is Tyry Wilson. This guy is an absolute freaking JP.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I know Alabama's close to your heart and they've got a guy and Robinson.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: But Tyry Wilson has got length, he's got size, and he plays the game with power.
Speaker 3: Love.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're talking about give me a bag of popcorn and let me watch Tyree Wilson. I'm golding slip around to the offensive side of the football. Now with the Jaguars, hey, they could be in play for an offensive lineman. Of course at number twenty four. And we touched on a couple of these guys. Let's start though, with the big fella out of the University of Tennessee, Darnell Wright, who against Will Anderson in that one matchups that's one sample size. What else can he do? He has a little attitude to go with it. He can do everything. I mean, this is a guy that's done it for a long period of time. He There's been some talk could he play left he maybe, but I don't think I think that would be a little bit of a stretch. Maybe in a pinch, you could have him play left tackle. But this guy is mean, he's powerful, he's nasty, he's got the resume. In other words, the game's under his belt. So because the one thing I remember having a conversation with Trent Balky and it was going back to last year when they were on the OTAs and training camp, and he said something that is just so true, and it's a philosophy that you got to have when you're looking at personality. Said, look, guys that have traits in college, those traits will carry over into the NFL. So in other words, if a guy has done it for a long period of time, he's been available, and he's been powerful, then the chances of him doing the same exact thing at the level in the NFL is more likely than a guy that you're trying to project that's been a one year wonder. This guy has been doing it as for a long period of time. When you watch him against all the good players in that sec he was excellent, And.
Speaker 5: You talk about a guy who indeed checks everybody. I think it's forty two starts over four years at Tennessee, forty seven games, which again that speaks to the reliability Big Conference has played left and right tackle. To me, this is one of the guys you know behind the curtain.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 4: I pre write three or four that I think might be guys.
Speaker 5: This is one of the ones that I think makes so much sense that I aan ahead and pre road.
Speaker 4: It's a great story. JP you look for to wait to read as a man, but he is a man.
Speaker 5: It all makes sense, especially when you consider that Walker Little probably is a little more natural at left tackle.
Speaker 4: Eventually.
Speaker 5: I don't know what happens with Cam after this season, but Walker left tackle, this kid at right tackle, where he's natural. That sort of lines up with what you see some of the Tea leaves being. It makes sense of twenty four to me.
Speaker 3: And just because he's more of a right tackle.
Speaker 2: The best left tackle in the draft is is Paris Johnson, junior at Ohio State. You know people are wondering. I mean because look, I mean, if that guy's available at twenty four, he could be an option too if they're gonna end up going offensive lineman. And Paris Johnson's got the athleticism, he's got the length, like the way he plays the game. And by the way, john when you watch Ohio State, their offensive line has three possible first round draft picks. I mean, that's just it's like watching Alabama, House State.
Speaker 3: Georgia's like crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The right tackle has like the longest wing span in the history the Senior Bowl. Dwan Jones I mean, the guy is just a freak. He's kind of similar to Darnell right in a lot of ways, and then how he plays the game a little nasty.
Speaker 3: He's big and.
Speaker 2: He's powerful, So two right tackles that are similar. But Darnell writes the man.
Speaker 5: One thing that speaks to Jeff's point about the potential for somebody like that to slide. Usually when you say that before the draft, you sort of say it with yeah, but it's not going to happen. From talking to people around the league and from reading about what's going on this year, there is enough disagreement around the league about who should be where that pretty much in every mock draft you follow, there is one guy who slides to twenty three, twenty four that everybody else in a normal.
Speaker 4: Year would be saying, well, no way he makes it there.
Speaker 5: So could this be a year where the chaos at the top of the draft benefits the Jaguars with some elite player. Usually I would say it's great to talk about not going to happen.
Speaker 4: Maybe this year is the year it happens.
Speaker 2: Well, And here's something else to remember, you're talking about four quarterbacks. They're going to get drafted and make four of the Jaguars, maybe five five, which pushes all the talent that's at all the other positions down to the Jaguars. So what John is saying is is dead on the money, and especially with the quarterback focus in this draft, it's a great chance of that happening.
Speaker 3: Well back in the moment.
Speaker 2: We've got plenty ahead talking more prospects when we come back. But whether you need air, electric or plumbing service, Donovan is always a good call. They've been trusted by customers for almost forty years. Trust them to deliver a fast, reliable service to your home.
Speaker 3: We're halfway home.
Speaker 2: As Jaguars Happy Hour from Daily's place on the Jaguars Digital Network.
Speaker 10: When we go back to the playoff game and it's half time and he's had a rough first ask to put it mildly, and the head coach is just like, he's fine, we just gotta do this, We got to do that, and then it all came together. I don't know that I saw a better moment in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Last Charles Davis, CBS Sports NFL Network love coverage of the draft coming up, and of course, if you're watching on Jaguars dot Com, alive. Look inside Daily's Place just outside of the bank. It should be a packed house tonight, and rain or shine, we'll have it. Gates open at seven o'clock for the Duval Draft party and welcome back at Jaguars Happy Hour. JP Shadwick, John Ozer and Jeff Logoman.
Speaker 3: Good to hear from Charles Davis.
Speaker 2: The full interview available on Jaguars dot com and the Official Jaguars Podcast Net. We're talking about the quarterback play in the playoff game, of course, last year at Carter's game. That's a fantastic memory, of course, and it's the reason the Jaguars are drafting twenty four. They got to the playoffs and they lost in the divisional rounds, so here they are. It would have been twenty five the Dolphins forfeited their pick as a penalty, and now it's twenty four in the NFL Draft tonight in round number one.
Speaker 3: So here we go tonight, one hundred and twenty seven players.
Speaker 2: Trent Balky said, check all the boxes for a prospect, so you know, not three hundred and fifty or whatever. Go to the combine. They narrow this thing down, John to one twenty seven. It was a specific number that Trent talked about last week, and that might have surprised some maybe some folks who aren't following this on an everyday basis, but that's pretty much a part for the course number.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to clarify a couple of things.
Speaker 5: That doesn't mean that they only think one hundred and twenty seven guys in this draft can play in the NFL. It doesn't mean that that's all they studied. It doesn't mean they've overlooked things. It means that as they've done their draft, there's different areas of the draft, different clusters of players around the draft first round through seventh round. They have one hundred and twenty seven total guys that they consider the ideal picks at those positions that they would have won on this football team. And from everything I've heard, Jeff, that's a very common number. One hundred and twenty five to about one hundred and fifty of guys do you really feel like you want? Because why wouldn't you narrow it down to that point?
Speaker 2: Well, and one of the reasons why that number is what it is. You would have certain guys that wouldn't make the list because of some type of physical condition or injury that he's had, maybe a failed physical, and then also some personalities that just don't fit.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: You hear Trent and Doug talking a lot about the word culture, okay, and what they mean by that is that the player has to have a certain personality, a certain work ethic, and a certain way about them to fit what they're trying to build here. And if they don't fit that mold, they don't make that list of one hundred and twenty seven.
Speaker 4: And it may be even a couple scheme fit.
Speaker 5: Sure, if they just don't think a guy can play a corner in the style that they want to play, they may just think, you know, for instance, a running back at the top of the draft, we don't want to invest running back at a position in the first round.
Speaker 4: A kid from Texas.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't know how they feel about him, but you never know if they really think, Okay, this is just not a year we want to do this. We need to go other areas. So there's different reasons why guys come off the board.
Speaker 2: By the way, I would never exclude any position because you feel good about where you're at. Sure, because if all of a sudden Jamier Gibbs, your guy JP at Alabama is available in round two. Sure, that guy's unbelievable. It catches everything out of the backfielding. He's a great dynamic running back. I mean, so I would never personally disqualify a position based on where we were at from a roster standpoint, because have you ever heard of coach say, you know what, we got too many good tackles or we got too many good running backs.
Speaker 3: You never hear that.
Speaker 2: He also said Trent Plalke last week in the Predraft Luncher that they've got two, three four players that they really would feel comfortably after you're there.
Speaker 3: They should be there at twenty four.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they've mocked this thing out John so many times, different scenarios. If this happens, then this could happen, and then we could get down there. You really might not know until about four or five picks above you truly what's availed and there.
Speaker 3: And that's really the question mark about a night like tonight.
Speaker 4: Well, he clarified with you they have options.
Speaker 5: If they don't they don't go that route, they won't be stuck without a player that they think can help. It's why I do wonder what the possibility of them trading out of that spot are. They've never done it. The Jaguars have never been without a first round pick. Twenty four to thirty two is a long way to go to get out of the first round. But considering that, I think they want to come out of the first two or three rounds with a tackle offense, I mean a offensive lineman, tight end, and cornerback corner. Could they try to come back and get those three players later in the draft to add on somebody. I don't think so, but maybe.
Speaker 2: It just depends on what somebody's off yet, you know, that's what it's all about, all right, final thought?
Speaker 3: Pick? How about a pick for twenty four?
Speaker 5: John real quick, I've been kind of leaning on Branch, Brian Branch from Alabama, just because he can come in and play Nickel move to safety later.
Speaker 4: He makes so much sense.
Speaker 5: I'm less passionate about that than I was yesterday. Uh, but for now I'll go with that because that's been my horse all on.
Speaker 3: Jeff, oh Gosh, put you on the spot.
Speaker 2: I'll just say I'll give you a position because I think there's a number of guys I think corner is gonna be the position, and I'm gonna position Jallas is gonna slide and they're gonna grab him.
Speaker 3: Up at twenty four. I think so you never know. I'm going Darnell.
Speaker 4: Right tackle Tyree Wilson's gonna slide.
Speaker 3: How about that? Love him well, Jalen Carter, Yeah, JP, Jalen all of the above. Arguably the best player in draft. He is. We're gonna say goodbye to you. John. We have what in the business is called an upgrade. Jaguars Owners. Shot Con is gonna join us. Yes, it is.
Speaker 4: I will defer.
Speaker 3: That's Josh, That's Jeff Logerman. I'm j P. Shadwick.
Speaker 2: We're back in a moment, Jaguars Owners. Shot Con right around the corner calling all Jags fans. Elevate your game the experience with vine O Ford Napa Valley, the official wine club of the jag Zip on handcrafted Napa Valley wines and show your team pride with every poor Visit vine zero four dot com and sign up and receive three or six premium Napa Valley wine bottles twice a year, along with exclusive access to private events and complementary tastings. Join the vine O four Club today and toast of the Jags legacy with every sip It's Jaguars Happy Hour on the Jags Digital Network. Welcome back at Jaguars Happy Hour and a live look outside of TIAA bank Field the Miller Electric Center. The grass is down on the practice fields and we are closing in on the grand opening the Jaguars to get the keys, I believe July first.
Speaker 3: Welcome back at Jaguars.
Speaker 2: Happy Hour from Daily's place on the other end of tia bank Field, JP Shadrick, Jeff Logman and Jaguars owners Shod con Nut. Let's start with that, the Miller Electric Center. It just changes everything. When you finally see grass on the field. What a process that bitch.
Speaker 11: I know, it's really cool, and it's even better kind of walking through it than you know, what a difference it's gonna make. So I'm really excited. Obviously.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: You go back to nineteen ninety five and I remember practicing and doing conditioning on the outfield of the old baseball park, and now all of a sudden, this wonderful facility.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're come along way with baby.
Speaker 2: We certainly have all right, So a long way from the last two years at the number one overall pick, and now after the playoff run shot, it's the twenty fourth overall pick. But are your nerves still the same going into a draft weekend? How do you feel going into this year's.
Speaker 11: Well, no nerves, A very calm. I am super relaxed guy. I might as well be in a zen yoga camp right now. But you know, it's so different because I think we have a great team and when you look at it, even through free agency, we've lost one starter, and so.
Speaker 6: You feel really good with all the choices.
Speaker 11: We have, even though we're going to be picking twenty fourth in the first round.
Speaker 2: You got to feel good about where you are as an organization, with your coach, your quarterback, your general manager. It's got to give you a lot of confidence with where you're at and where you're headed.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, I think those are the three key pieces.
Speaker 6: In modern NFL, and we got them all.
Speaker 11: So it's now about how do you tweak the roster and make it a shape better, a little bit better every day.
Speaker 2: Jack Warzona shod Khan is with us. We've heard this word culture a lot in the last couple of years around here. Certainly going into last season, getting things right again, earning the trust of the organization. Doug Peterson talked about that, certainly he's done that, but now you've got to build upon the baseline. That culture, that baseline, the playoff mentality is the base for what this team should be moving forward. How important our culture fits on a draft weekend like this.
Speaker 11: I think obviously very important And Trent I think has been quoted that, you know, the players in the draft, we got one hundred and twenty seven we think would be ideal. But you know, culture is an overused word until you kind of experience it and then you say, oh, oh yeah, I see what a difference of culture makes like now, you know, in the hallway today, I was waiting for the meeting to see the players coming in, how enthusiastic they are, the fist pumping and talking to I think we have three new coaches and you know, they've had careers obviously besides Jacksonville, and you know, to get their insight that this is so different from wherever they've been. What a great experience for them. So this is very different even for the Jaguars. For me, obviously, you know after eleven years, is I mean I can you can feel the shift. It's it's much more than a phraser lingo and one of.
Speaker 2: The shifts really, the draft for many years has represented hope, you know, that you get better, and this year the feeling I think is so much different and that hey, look like you talked about, you're just looking to tweak, to add little components of your to your roster because you just feel good about where you are as a football.
Speaker 11: Team, absolutely, and how you get a little bit better depth not necessarily starters who are going to come in and be air salvation, but more like you know, who are going to be there for us for the long haul.
Speaker 2: Jaguars oona shot con is with us. Take us into some of those pre draft prep meetings. I know you were involved a little bit in some of those, probably more than a little bit, I'm guessing, So you know, take it. Give us what you can about that process. Working with Trent and Doug and their staffs collectively.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, it's you know, highly collaborative.
Speaker 11: If you've been in the draft room now, it's like, you know, I might as well be Houston, NASA, you know, with all the screens. But more importantly, the really the electronic the database that you can imagine and who are the players drafted with these attributes and boom they show up complete with the cliffs And I'm talking about historically, so you can compare a current maybe possible player to historical who has success didn't have it. So you take that whole collaborative process, and then you get into where we're going to be picking and who might be on and how would we decide, you know, number of players, whoever's on the.
Speaker 6: Board, who we would pick?
Speaker 11: How you prioritize you want to have as much of this done before you get into the live action logs.
Speaker 2: I think when they picked you they were still using a chalkboard to make the selections, right, maybe not quite. I can tell you that it was Hall Tagley nicely Pete Rose, Yeah, yeah, so it was a while back. It has been a little bit, all right, So tonight should be packed house here Daily's place, rain or shine. The rain is stopped now, which is great news, but fifty five hundred expected in this place tonight. Certainly we know what this place has been to the organization in the city since it's been built. But having this scene tonight's shot, I know you have to be excited.
Speaker 11: About that, Absolutely, I am, and I think this venue has really I think it's served the city very well. It's hurtainly has served the Jaguars, you know, everything we hoped and really more.
Speaker 2: When Kenny Chesney was awesome here not long ago, by the way, that was an incredible concert.
Speaker 3: Love it, Shot, thanks for the time, really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Good luck Lace to be here and looking forward to tonight.
Speaker 3: Jaguars owner Shot Con with us.
Speaker 2: Of course, we take a live look now inside Daily's Place just downstairs and seven o'clock. The gates open tonight for the Duval Draft Party twenty twenty three, and the Jaguars have the twenty fourth overall pick in the NFL Draft coming up tonight, and of course eight other picks over the weekend. Always good to hear from JAG's owner Shod Con.
Speaker 3: Excited. Yeah, he said he could be in a yoga studio right now. That's how relaxed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but don't let him fool you, JP, because you know I asked him before we went on the air, I said, to you excited, he said, if you've got blood in your veins, you're excited, Okay, because that's the reality I mean this is again, and I keep using this term. The life blood of every franchise is the draft, and the only way that you can be consistently good is that you draft and develop and retain. And so this draft is important just like every other draft for this franchise, and especially because now that some of the money that has been spent in recent years in free agency, sometimes your only option at getting better or to keep the roster at a solid position is through the draft. Yeah, draft and develop, you gotta have that, retain and retain, that's what that's what we have, all of those terms. And we heard from Trim Blake earlier today in our draft room conversation. Devon Hamilton was retained and extended today and I thought he took big steps this past year. Credit to him because he really worked hard. But that's a big point for this organization is that that kind of sets a tone I think for guys when they show up here and you perform and you improve as it goes along, you get rewarded at the end. Well, and look, you know he's gonna make a lot of money, but you know a lot of money in the National Football League is what you earn. You know, if you're a good football player, you know, the question now becomes, do some of these younger players that you drafted last year take that next step for this football team, because this football team is going to need that young that you the second year players to make a big advancement for this team to have the success that they want to have this year. We earned from Daniel Jeremiah NFL Network a little bit earlier, Charles Davis as well. Joe Klatt will have coverage on NFL Network. He's also with Fox Sports. Brian Sexton and visited with him in Kansas City earlier this week and asked him about the tackles in the draft.
Speaker 12: I do think that there's going to be a run on the top tackles ahead of them. So if they wanted one of those guys or coveted one of those guys, and I'm talking about Paris Johnson and Broderick Jones and Darnell Wright, if they coveted one of those guys, they might have to move up, but they don't have to move up to get what they need. You talked about corner, you talked about tight end. All of those players I think will be there.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Obviously, as we talked, the quarterbacks could go early, that could slide some guys down. If there's the run middle of the round, let's see what happens. But the Jaguars currently at twenty four. It's something interesting and just there with a question with Brian that Scronsky was never mentioned, correct from the Northwestern, Okay, Northwestern who was tackled. Many people thought that he was gonna be the best tackle, the first lineman off the board in this draft class. But watching this film, I don't see him being a tackle. I think this guy is a guard. And well, you know, he reminds me of In fact, I wrote it down because he reminds me of Jonah Williams, who was an Alabama guy the Bengals drafted in the first round. And the Bengals just drafted or excuse me to signing free agency from Kansas City, the left tackle that they had there, and then they're talking about moving Jonah Williams to right tackle to.
Speaker 3: Compete over there.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna play left tackle in the National Football League, you gotta have length, okay, and Skeronsky does not have a lot of length, and then you better have length to play left tackle, because you're gonna be facing guys like Tyree Wilson who is six foot six, six foot seven, two hundred and seventy five pounds and has thirty eight thirty nine inch sleeve length. And if you have JP, it's imagine trying to pass block like this. Okay, if I'm trying to pass block you like this with the old dinosaur arms. So t rex doesn't work. And it's an exaggeration because Kronsky has like thirty three arms, but JP, he's got thirty three inch arms. Okay, I can touch you from here because I have thirty eight inch sleeves. Okay, you've got to have the length to play left tackle. Wow, that's a that's a heck of a reach by you literally trying to block this t Rex over here trying to block me.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So breaking news now in the National Football League, some big quarterback news. The last day, of course, with Aaron Rodgers officially traded from the Package to the Jets. But today the Ravens have reached a five year deal with Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 3: Good for them.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, Lamar Jackson's an exciting, dynamic player. He hasn't been able to stay healthy a ton. But I think with the recent contract that was signed in Philadelphia, I think maybe tempered Lamar Jackson's expectation because Jalen Hurts didn't get a completely guaranteed contract and that's what he was looking for, and that's not what the market was going to bear for him, especially with the number of games that he missed. But I'm glad because I think Lamar Jackson should be a raven and he's a tremendous football player, and it's good for them now they can move forward and concentrate on other things and other aspects of their organization. The latest reporting, no official numbers are out yet, but Justina Anderson is reporting the league sources that of the total guarantee portion as one hundred and eighty five million dollars for Lamar Jackson's and I'm sure that Look, the recent contract by Jillen Hursts, I'm sure was a little bit, you know. And here's the weird thing. I mean, Lamar Jackson is his own agent. I'm it's right, that's that's odd. I mean, it's very odd. And I'm not saying that he can't do it. And I'm sure that he's getting a lot of great advice and should get a lot of great advice. But that's a weird position to be in if you're doing your own contract. A little more on the Aaron Rodgers situation. Officially traded from the Packers to the Jets. He was actually on the practice field today. His intro press conference was yesterday. The Jets got Rogers and the twenty twenty three first round pick and a twenty twenty three fifth round pick. The Packers get the first round pick this year, number thirteen, a second round pick this year, a sixth round pick this year, and a conditional second round pick next year that couldn't become a first If Rogers plays sixty five percent of the plays this season, that's gonna be an interesting watch. You know, will airon Rogers be committed to the organization As far as the practice days that are not mandatory.
Speaker 3: I think that he needs to.
Speaker 2: Commit himself to the Jets organization and show up for all those things if he wants to end up making a lot of friends in the locker room. Those are the biggest NFL news, of course, Quarterbacks Lamar Jackson and Aaron Rodgers are now apparently settled in their respective places, and they were only a couple of weeks probably away from the schedule release. That's right around the corner too well. And look, the NFL, I'm sure was looking for some resolution to both of these situations because that impacts the schedule. I mean, look, if Aaron Rodgers is the quarterback of the New York Jets, I mean you're talking about the Jets having some serious primetime football games. If Lamar Jackson is the quarterback of the Ravens, that's a consideration with schedule makers as well, you know. So I'm glad that both of them were resolved. And I guarantee that Roger Goodell and the league office was they might have been putting a little phone call in here or there to both organizations while all three organizations, the Ravens, the Jets, and the Packers to make sure that this stuff got moved along. Because look, you want to have all the focus tonight on the draft. You don't want to have speculation about Aaron Rodgers or Lamar Jackson could he end up with another football team. This makes the focused on what's happening tonight, and that's the NFL Draft and that's where the focus should be at well. A lot of AFC South teams have some draft equity high in this first round, and most of them, if not all, three of the other ones, could be looking at quarterback early in this draft. Of course, the Jaguars are the best set up at that position with the Trevor Lawrence. Let's see what happens at Indianapolis. Certainly Houston at number two could be in play. They also have another first round pick, and Tennessee do they go for a quarterback?
Speaker 3: What's the future hold there? With a new decision maker in charge.
Speaker 2: In Nashville, you could have Trevor Lawrence and three rookies and the rest of the AFC South. I mean it could be that, and I think that that's a real realistic expectation. I think it would take Tennessee maybe needing to trade up.
Speaker 3: Maybe not.
Speaker 2: If Hendon Hooker is a guy, he may end up being there where they're at, but it may require them to trade up. I think Indianapolis is locked in on a quarterback. I think it probably is Levice, and we know that Houston is a possibility.
Speaker 3: I think CJ. Young's CJ. Trout or.
Speaker 2: Buying moreph the two of them together. But I think it's going to be very interesting. You know, we haven't really mentioned quarterbacks yet, but the quarterbacks, the only part that we mentioned about them is that having four or five quarterbacks that could get you know, that could end up getting drafted prior to the Jaguars pick at twenty four means that there's gonna be a push of guys that normally would not be available with that talent level that the Jaguars are going to be able to pick from it twenty four. And that's a good thing, the more quarterbacks, because look, the reality is is that teams are going to reach for quarterbacks and that's perfect. That's exactly what you want if you're a team that already has a quarterback, because it pushes more talent down to you at your picks. And so the Jaguars in a great position. Every franchise wants to be in the position that the Kansas City Chiefs are, the Buffalo Bills, the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Los Angeles Chargers, and that's the position of feeling that you have or knowing that you have a franchise quarterback, because it makes it a lot easier to draft players when you're in that situation, Yeah, and you better have one just to compete in the AFC. You mentioned some of those AFC teams. It is oh Steers Row deep, It's deep in the NFC. I mean, come on, NFC, where are you at? I mean, you got to get some quarterbacks. And here's the crazy thing. Is the the NFC going to add a quarterback this year? I mean think about it. I mean, has there been any talk with the four top quarterbacks in this year's draft? Has there been any talk about an NFC team possibly getting one of those four?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, So the NFC is going to continue to be quarterback deficial. Remember the Bears traded out, they traded back so with Carolina. Yeah, so because they like their guy fields well, panthers and pants. But I mean that's one why it's just amazing to me that how can you have that disparity between conferences? I mean really, I mean, I mean, Jalen Hurts is a tremendous player. Don't don't get me wrong.
Speaker 3: I love him.
Speaker 2: He's an excellent football player. But now, I mean Aaron Rodgers left the NFC and now is a part of the AFC. Got to keep up with the j AFC Quarterback League right now. Hey Busy nine, Tonight's final moments of Jaguars Happy. We're glad you've joined us on ten ten am and Jaguars dot com and Jaguars Social media, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. Tonight coming up at seven thirty, we'll have our pre draft show on Jaguars dot Com. We'll count down to the draft, plenty of special guests, plenty of content and get you ready for the draft today to o'clock tonight.
Speaker 3: You, Frank Frangi and who else is on the Draft radio show tonight? One time?
Speaker 2: Is all that a Well, I think you're gonna come on and visit with us for a little bit, so, I mean that's a good thing. But you know, I think we're gonna have different people on looking forward to it, looking forward to the draft. I've become a little bit of a draft junkie just because you know, you watch film on guys. You want to see where kind of where your assessment lines up with some of the teams picking, you know, and just let me throw this one last position goes out there because because we haven't talked about it yet, and I can't believe JP you didn't have it on the list. It is to talk about tight ends. Tight end, we have not talked about tight ends. You think it's in play at twenty four. I think it's absolutely in play at twenty four because kin Kid is a great receiving tight end. Mayor is a great He reminds me of Jason Witten, the guy that played it for the Dallas Cowboys for so long.
Speaker 3: Excellent receiver, excellent blocker. Love that guy.
Speaker 2: And then Georgia of course has Darnell Washington, who's like Land of the Giants tight end.
Speaker 3: And you already picked a cornerback at twenty four.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, but I mean, tight end is in play, and if Michael Mahyer is there, it would be hard not to draft him. He's young and he's still I mean he's young, but he's such a physical presence in the game, both as a blocker and as a receiver at a lot of positions.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens tonight.
Speaker 2: Gates open at seven o'clock for the du Vall draft party at Daily's Place or thanks to John Ozier, Jaguars owner shot kind of course joining us for Jeff Flagerman and our entire crew on JP Shadwick.
Speaker 3: We'll catch you next time. It's Jaguars Happy Hour on the Jaguars Digital Network
Speaker 5: S