Speaker 1: Warning.
Speaker 2: Today's episode contains spoilers for the final two episodes of Mau shadow Lord Maul. Hello, my name is Jason Gecepcion.
Speaker 3: Anda' Rosey night.
Speaker 2: Well that this is kind of Howord does.
Speaker 3: Where we don't even visual right now, like how he's doing in this show.
Speaker 2: Colleagues and pop culture. Coming to you from my heart ware bring you three episode.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we are recapping episodes nine and ten Dark Ball shadow Lord, which is actually just called Mall shadow Lord Ours. And the first episode is episode nine Strange Allies, and the second episode, episode ten, the Dark Law. So be where there's gonna be lots of spoilers, and of course Joelle super producer will be here to discuss all the more thoughts. So let's get into it. Death Maul, Death Maul Episode nine, Strange Allies. Dryden Voss via a hologram. Wow, remember him, He's there, And.
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel like we could have dialed in the Dryden Voss voice a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a note.
Speaker 3: Small note for Mal shadow Lord. He will personally provide Mao with an escape from Jane X in exchange for that happened, though he then needs More to promise that he will kill the current crimson. This is so funny to me too, because I'm just like, you're gonna do something for More first, and then you're gonna ask him to do something. It seems like the wrong idea, my guy, but sure, then he's gonna kill the current crimson. Dawn Barson great wonderful. So in a broken down building somewhere, two boots laws in, Riley and Devon are all hiding out and Maowel caused to Devon in her sleep Devil. She wakes up and she's like ah, and she explains her dream to Darky and Darky's like, well, maybe he's trying to show you something. Sounds like somebody's implanted this place in your brain for a reason. And it's great timing because Marek and the Eleven Brothers show up the two inquisitors and they are ready to capture some force users. Luckily they're just outside boom happens. They escape. You don't see it, it happened. Luckily they make a quick escape. More is right there and he's like, hey, I'm I'm just gonna help you guys, ragtag group of allies that we are force users cops, Jedi sith who cares we're just friends altogether, and they're like, what else are we gonna do? So they go and they're like, yes, Lawson is leading them across the Empire perimeter, and Devin kind of has to reveal to Daky, like, yeah, maybe me and Maul do have a connection. Maybe it happened when you told me to get arrested because I was hungry enough to steal an apple. Maybe that's when it happened. Maure's little pro droid. We get to see him flying around and he's spy guy. No spy guy. He jams some Stormtrooper colms and we get to see more take down a bunch of stormtroopers. As Devin covers him, Riley just shoots a stormtrooper riding away in the back. Let me tell you my father like son, he just stuns up and just shoots him.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you something nasty. The amount of loss of life in these two episodes is. I think it's up there with anything like not counting the explosion of the Death Star, right, yeah, up there with any kind of like firefight scene we've ever seen.
Speaker 3: It starts, dude, Lawson kills so many people. He is just shooting so many stormtroopers, like easily kills one hundred people. So Daddy looks at his son and he's like, Oh, I'm so glad you shot that guy who was driving away on his speed up. So proud of you. And then they work their way through this large power plant which is kind of half empty, and the crew manages to find a way out despite the fact that Lawson is clearly scheming on a double cross the whole time, like he's acting like they're gonna double cross him, like more than his crew are gonna doublecross him, but really, like Lawson, you're the one thinking about it, just not being so suspicious. Two Boots is immediately like anything he sees that is against some kind of regulation, he's like, I'm gonna report it. And then he's like, oh, I can't do that anymore. I'm not really a snitchpot in the same way, And that comes up very importantly when they have to work together to get across a river of toxic waste. I bet you didn't see that coming. In the finale of More Shadow Lord, that is in the basement of the power plant, two Boats wants to snitch about it. He can't, it's not a priority, and just in time for them to be stuck at the toxic waste pool, Marreck and the eleventh Brother show up, leading to a pretty brutal fight that sees more essentially lose like his entire crew. If you wanted to know anything about them, rip to all. I was other than Spybot, who I was like, good, you were like get that fut I was.
Speaker 2: It was sad the way he went master and died, but yeah, man, like we saw multiple members of the gang, including you know, like the final the last few marriage Mangalorian culture, also the other Za twin, the other Zebich brother take like fifteen shots to the chest and go down.
Speaker 3: At and then he took like fifteen stormtroopers with him into the lava question mark or the toxic waste I guess. Yeah, that was very crazy. And we also got some wild devon action here as she kind of force fly jumps layer style across the toxic waste using these abandoned skiffs. We will then get a really epic double lightsaber fight where we get a double double sided lightsaber brawl with more facing down with Marrock, and it is actually extremely sick and very well choreographed, and More earns Devin's loyalty here in what will clearly be a very important moment by essentially allowing Daky to escape while he fights the inquisitive. Yes, whole does manage to make it across, but that is despite an insane hail Mary play by Marek, who just like Lashes, is fucking like light save in quiz a light saber like a fucking frisbee to try and knock More, and instead he destroys the skiff. More manages to make it across.
Speaker 2: Not very Jedi of Daki right to do, to be the one who flees and not be the one who stops everybody Like I was a little bit like very interesting, Daki.
Speaker 1: Now is the tame that you decided to.
Speaker 3: A cow wad?
Speaker 2: But I'll just say this is the best, these two episodes. It's the greatest action we've ever seen in Star Wars Animated.
Speaker 3: I think these two it's really great stuff. I do love the three people with double sided sabers. We've never seen that before. It is very enticing to me. I do enjoy it. I do not love the episodes as much as that, but I do think that they are a fun end to this show, though, I will say I also do think from some of the pacing choices and like the way things are explained, I do think again, this is a show for like a much younger audience.
Speaker 1: Patient.
Speaker 3: I don't mean that as like, no, no, ye, kids. I don't mean that as like, well, I'm an adult. I just mean I think it's for younger kids.
Speaker 2: I agree with its written, and we'll talk about this more in the conversation, but let me just say, like even kids would benefit from better pacing in this show.
Speaker 3: Oh that's it, absolutely, yeah, yeah, yeah, kids deserve This.
Speaker 2: Should have been sequenced differently, that's all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So more and and you know, Lawson to Boots, Riley and Devon, who and who are the survivors and Daky. They are going through the kind of misty forests of Janex, which look very akin to Dagabar, and then something.
Speaker 4: Emerges, tall, dark, covered in multi colored buttons. It's Toffveda, a bomb bom.
Speaker 2: My only question was whether it was gonna be him, big Daddy Big Daddy Vader or the Emperor himself. But I guess the Emperor.
Speaker 3: Still, I think it could be I think it could be sitious, but also like we've seen him a lot. I don't know if fans would have gotten as excited. This definitely feels delegating.
Speaker 1: Now this is a.
Speaker 3: Fan service moment for sure. Like we've always wondered as kids, like who would win in a fight? Obviously that gets answered heartily in the next episode, which we will be talking about. Wants to be a back from.
Speaker 1: We're Back.
Speaker 3: We're back, guy, it's happening. Do you feel like you're ten years old? Do you feel like you're in the playground asking your friend Vader us there is more? Who would win? It's that battle the bow we have wanted to see since we were kids. Well exactly, I'll tell you something. If you were worried that Darth Vader was not the fearsome foe that once gave us nightmares as children, don't be worried because this era is chunky, angry, murder a kid. He's a big boy with big, chunky arms and big chunky legs. This is horror movie Vader. He is killing so many.
Speaker 2: He's doing the thing you know where he puts his hand close to the ground to say like too small. It's just they don't have the size to deal with the evader of this magnitude.
Speaker 5: They look I was like, okay, wow, this new age six foot seven exactly what is happening here? I know?
Speaker 3: And this suit is like skin top, skin tight. This is Daddy Vader for sure. They've got him for sure.
Speaker 1: He's out there.
Speaker 3: He's just commanding the force. He's just wiping out in diret battalions of people in front of him. I love them. He is extremely opie and for some reason all he wants to just fucking kill Darth Moore. He's like, fuck this guy. Somehow, this guy is to blame for Padme's.
Speaker 2: Dad because it's and that's the Empire, that's Emperor. He's you know, that's yeah, exactly, that's the Emperor's ex He does not like.
Speaker 5: The Emperor, very challenged that mark and feel it before he actually knows what's happening, He's like, who is this guy?
Speaker 1: You're fucking with the Emperor, aren't you? I knows instinct.
Speaker 3: Which I do love because like he also Mariah Carey like I don't know hers doth Vader too. He's like, who are you bitch? Like what the fuck is going on here? And I gotta say Darth Moore's getting absolutely eaten up here, Like he does not have a chance. He cannot take Darth Vader. If we were wondering as kids, who would take who? Guess what's the one who got chopped in half? Who's still going to get chopped in half?
Speaker 5: In this situation, Anakin was like nine the first time all died like this?
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean? This is like he's worked a lot now. And also do you okay, so do you think when he's fighting him, do you think Anakin is feeling anger and fury inside remembering that he killed quite gone Gin, Like do you think he has that knowledge? Or do you think this is pure Vader rage?
Speaker 5: I like the legends cannon of the suit is painful for Anakin to wear, and that every like second of his life is just like agony and terror over at what he's done, and like just constantly like redoubling down sort of in a what a Firecracker we're resumed as a zombie and forced to fight for Homelanders situation. Yeah, uh so, yeah, I just think I think that guy's just rage now. I think I don't even think it gets to a personal level.
Speaker 3: For it's probably.
Speaker 1: I think that's right.
Speaker 2: I think that's yeah. I think I think it's so. It's also so early in the Vader run, like he's so he's just baby Vader. He's baby Vader, and his rage is just like bubbling over like at everything. I don't even think that there is a point to it or a focus to it.
Speaker 3: It's I think a recognition somewhere deep inside that would add more rage. But I think you guys are right. I don't think he like remembers who this is from a story he was told. Okay, so Maul is getting like torn the fuck up. It's not going well. He's having to shake his little leg every so often, he's getting chopped in the leg. Like it's going badly. He escapes with Daky and Devon and the three of them have to work. I did love this moment, like this is the kind of shit I need to see. Show me what the force costs, show me how powerful one person is because they have to do so little compared to what other people have to do. So there's this great moment where Devon, Ducky and more are unning away and they're trying to pull down these rocks on Vader and all three of them have to team up to pull down the rocks, and as Vader walks through, he just clenches his fist yeah, and then just gets rid of all the rocks. He does so like what the three of them can do, Like he can do it with no effort.
Speaker 2: I love the Vader like Italian man gesture.
Speaker 3: Yes the rock. He's so good and uh. While all of that is going on, Dryden Voss is calling Vario and he's like, hey, how's Maudling? Is he ready to be picked up? Is that gonna go fine? I have to say, look, Varrio, he's a little snitch, right, he's a little troublemaker. He's a double crosser, he's a heel turner. But he actually does try his best in this moment to warn Voss. He's like, hey, so something's going down here, maybe don't come here. And Voss is like, I don't know. Busy and extremely gay, I don't know this version of forces that they're doing. But it's like this family. He's like, Darling, please, I'm too busy. Like I can't. He's like, please, Darling, I can't listen to this. I can't listen to just stories about the empire Darling no, and he puts down the phone and he's just like, I can't do it. It's like, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 2: Listen to the math the two of them, Varrio and Voss on the phone together. It's like this weird battling of archetypical like character executions that.
Speaker 3: Is extremely George Lucas in the nineties very much. Sarah More and Dakie try to, like Jedi Sith manipulate Devin, and they're like like, oh, you should do what the Siths say, you should be racheful. No, you should do what the Jedi say, be calm, while they're also trying to work out who this armored madman with the sabers who's hunting them down. I feel like Daki, as an elder Jedi, you should probably have heard fucking rumors about this or something or felt something in the force of disturbance in the Force, but sure all comes clean about being trained by Sidius to Devon. Daki sends Devon ahead and is like, I'm gonna help more and they're kind of arguing over philosophy in another iconic moment that I have to say makes this show all worth it for me. They're arguing about Jedi cif philosophy, and Vader just punches through the wall like the fucking cool a man boom. Hell yeah, scary ass shit, it's actually really scary. Vader Devin hunts for a way out. She ends up on this kind of like Legend of the Hidden Temple s yes, Scrianna Jones type situation, and she has to face down the Inquisitors as Daki and Moore face down Vader. And then those two separate fights, which are really again really fun, really well choreographed, they merge into a fight of three, you know, the Jedi Sith versus the Inquisitors. It is really really crazy. We get multiple double sided lightsabers. It's very fun, and you're like, this is great. I love Star Wars. And then you're like, what if we went to a cop who was just shooting like fifty people. Hey, there we are laws and kills like a ton of stormtroopers in the Janet's Jungle. He is on fire. I have not seen him be this good at being a cop. This is clearly what he's good at. Like, he is not good at solving a crime, but he can shoot a man in the chest quick time. And he's shooting them. He kills a ton of them. They try and meet the gang and catch Ross's transport. Two Boots comes up with a new plan. He's fully into the rebellion. Now he's like, fuck it, I can't snitch anymore. What do I get dopamine from? Now? He gets it from blowing up the Stormtroopers shuttle. I love this insane plan. So they can somehow escape. How are they gonna do it? Well, Varrio will be a distraction because that's always what he is, and the laws in family will team up to do some more extra judicial stormtrooper killing. So two Boots kill blows up the Stormtrooper shuttle with this absolutely sick like I don't know space berzooka more and Daki managed to stave off Vader, and it all seems to have been worth it because Voss's shit begins to arrive and you think, Okay, maybe this insane plan has happened. But unfortunately, well fortunately maybe depending on which side you see it. Unfortunately, two bad dads do not make it, as both Daki and Lawson are way laid. This is crazy. Daki is fucking killed by Vader in an absolutely insane sequence where he is essentially whipping Daki with his lightsaber. It's one of the craziest things I've ever seen. He does it like five times, and then just in the perfect timing, as Devon walks through the trees to find her master, she's been distracted by his pay. In a disturbance in the Force, she sees Vader stab him right through the heart, cementing obviously her path to the dark side alongside Shadowy Grace Side. I do believe side. It does feel like they're setting her up to have a two sided lightsaber, one side blue, one side red from what we see here, so I'm very into that. Alas laws and sacrifices himself for his son in two Boots, seemingly dying getting left behind on the planet, but we never see a body, so I presume he comes back.
Speaker 2: He disappears into the mists.
Speaker 3: He's got the gun, like I'm assuming that he's going to come back. In season two, Devin's anger at Daki's death finally encourages her to team up with More and use her rage to defeat the Inquisitors. And this is perfect for More, who now has a willing apprentice, but also like now he also has two boots and Riley on this fucking transport. Voss and Moore make an uneasy act to both keep their sides of the plans, and Devin looks at the red labor lightsaber that Mole had previously split with her during one of the fights and grips it thinking about her new Sith path, and she says, Okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break and then we'll be right back to talk about these epworks.
Speaker 1: How we're back. I will readter it again.
Speaker 2: I thought this in terms of action, it was just like absolutely amazing, I will say. And you could just through the recap you could feel it. I mean there's like fifty Stormtroopers that die in this episode, dude, in the brutal like getting sliced in half and stuff.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 3: It also remind me of as well that we haven't seen for a long time. I feel like we haven't seen this many lightsabers in a fight since the Mace windw Jedi kind of battle and the prequels.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say it up, kids, it was bright as hell. It was.
Speaker 3: We used to have like fifty lightsabers at time battling back then. This is a high amount, like ten lightsabers at a time, like is pretty great, like delightful?
Speaker 1: Yeah, come apart like sabers a twirl, like throwing them like frisbees.
Speaker 3: Exact, very very postcause.
Speaker 5: I okay, many thoughts. First, Stormtroopers. Now, I know storm Troopers can't aim. The helmets still have good eyelines that we've talked about this, but when you are stepping out of the fog as an already united line on an unsuspected.
Speaker 3: No one, this.
Speaker 1: Is a new loaf for the storm Troopers.
Speaker 3: No, it's running away just like fucking shooting. You're getting shot in the back by a kid dude that is a cop and he's just been traded anything.
Speaker 1: It was insane to me, like this is too close to.
Speaker 3: Close again, young audience too, because I do think even though we will get into the body count, I do feel like they didn't kill the characters with steaks, like the young characters, the characters we've really been following, like the characters who did die.
Speaker 2: I'll say too that there's a there's a middle ground like we've seen and we are engaged with in this in this show, multiple characters with limb replacements.
Speaker 1: So he gets shot in the arm. Somebody could get shot in the leg.
Speaker 3: To emerge as a sick. Disability cultures so many disabled characters.
Speaker 2: To emerge unscathed. Riley to emerge unscathed from this for Never Die, Yeah, I mean he sees his dad murder fifty people.
Speaker 3: I know, I.
Speaker 5: Was like, oh, man, shout out to the voice. That act of the pain was palpable. But I agree, you know, Jason, you you were talking in the breakdown a little bit about the quality of animation around the fight seeds and the aerial battles, and I couldn't agree more. Everything looks really beautiful. But I think what was sort of disheartening for me was like a lot of times in Clone Wars, the battles are still emotionally yes, exactly like you're You're set to another shadow if we if we think about even let's use some characters we have here, the mall and a Sosoca lightsaber battle and season seven of Clone Wars, the show came back so many times. Guys, I'm sorry, Yeah, it was definitely the last one. Uh, You're they're jumping around in space on different platforms.
Speaker 1: Tension is so high.
Speaker 5: You had only just learned how Mall dies from a different series, and and coming into this moment, you're aware that Mal could live, You're not I'm sure Asoka is gonna live, because we don't really know where her story goes in canon. At this point, you're on pins and needles, and each swing is hurting you because you're so empathetic for both of these characters.
Speaker 1: If I, if I.
Speaker 5: Think about some of our better moments in Clone Wars even again, we can take Mal's death when he faces Obi Wi in the final Samurai battle. Not a lot happened in there, but the charge tension between the moments, the final snap of it pacing wise again just stunning, and I felt as cool as they were, I felt That's kind of all I was left with, was like, oh, it's so cool, which.
Speaker 3: I personally do agree that. I think I was thinking about this a lot because obviously it's only it's ten episodes, the half an hour each, basically five hours of storytelling, right, Like, I get it. But at the same time, I have watched the show before, like think about and or right sorry again, like don't make and or if you don't want everything to be compared to and or Right Sorry, But like By the time you're five episodes in to Andle and people are dying, you care so deeply about the characters who are dying, you cry when they die. Their words become a motto for the entire show. I wish I could have felt that about Rook cast about one character, about the Zebracs, about.
Speaker 5: By Darth Vader in arguably a very cool way. And it's so forgettable at the end of the.
Speaker 3: Day, I know, and I'm sad about it because like I want, I want that to Matt more. I want to feel it more, you know, I just I just feel like the emotional aspects of it didn't hit for me. I wasn't as immersed in that emotional world.
Speaker 2: The Zebras kind of throwaway deaths was very disheartening. It was very disheartening because, like again, I think.
Speaker 3: It just feels like there's so much to explore there.
Speaker 2: Well, I think what Joelle, I think what you're saying is, and this is I think a very favorite critique is the best kind of action is storytelle action. It's like action that develops that moves the story forward, that moves the character forward. And you know, what do we know about mal from the episode two episodes ago. We know that he's searching, grasping for this found family around himself, and so you want it to mean more when he's losing exactly all of them in that found family and they're falling all around him and it doesn't seem to matter to him. Now, there's a haircut on that, which is that's actually kind of a cool character too, one that like in their mind they use this idea of found family, they desire that, but really what they're about is the selfish accumulation of power, you know, like they say that, but that's propaganda.
Speaker 5: They told Yes, I would be elated if that was That's the other problem I think is like the name of the show is a problem. And I'm a big leader that titles do have importance in inpat I do you cannot call this shit. I have not seen him be a shadow lord, not once in this series. Most people know who he is, except for the main detective who probably should have known.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: You don't see him covertly pulling the strings. Do You kind of see him lure a pad one? But there's something so just like selfish and lonely about that. It doesn't read like calculating shaddle.
Speaker 3: No, and also like Veda, if Veada hadn't have killed how Mass that she would have never done. So it does that even really count as more alluring at her in that way? You know, like I don't. I think you're right, Jewel, there's not enough machinations, not puppeteering.
Speaker 2: To both of your points, there is a passivity of the main characters here where it's like all of them are just kind of running and reacting to events. Vario is the one setting up these deals with Voss and all these meetings and stuff. Maul is not putting any of that into into motion. Even it's you know, at a certain point he's like, yeah, well Crimson down has betrayed me before, and but but he still goes along with it. He has nothing other thing, you know, on the thing to propose. And I think that while I did I love these finalties, I really did think they were great, and certainly from an action side, I do think that there is like they could be more active in their own stories and they're just not.
Speaker 3: M I think for me that was like that was the thing where in these two episodes, even though I did love the action, I love some character moments. I even I even got like a minor chill when Devon at the end was like I'm ready because I I again like before the Acolyte, we had really rarely seen like the actual luring, the actual conversation how somebody gets turned to the dark side. So obviously that's very appealing, right and to it, But also why isn't that the entire first season of this show? Like I don't get why we started where we started and why we ended where we ended, because this essentially hasn't told me anything new about more. It feels like it was all leading to the Mall and Vada fight, but no offense to the creative team because it was extremely fucking cool. That could have been halfway through the season, and it that have been. It didn't need to be the final big reveal, Like the show in itself can be good enough, has the potential to be good enough without having to rely on old legacy characters, especially even though that was a sick fight. I just feel like Darth Vader shouldn't be getting the best scene in the Darth Maul's show, you know, Like and I do I do think that while I thought it was extremely cool to see mare Get his fucking ass just absolutely demolished. Like that worked for me, Like, I think that that's realistic to the characters. I think it's cool. I think it's a fun subversion of our expectations because more so well known for being such an incredible fighter, but we're also seeing more at his lowest, But like where was Maul's moment? Like that, like where was the moment he was a great genius, a great machinator. Where was the moment? And he wasn't just on the run and in that case call it like mare Ronan or something like, you know, more like on the outside. You know, it's kind of almost more like the Obi Wan show we got where it's more about more living under the radar, also outer just like Daki has got to be up there with like worst z list worst ever Jedi Masters, Like could never come out with a worst Jedi Master than Daphy.
Speaker 1: First of all, I want it.
Speaker 5: Jason has this amazing thought of like what if this show is really trying to tackle the idea that like the Jedi are inefficient and fish and like really taking an analytical look at their rules and organization, which I loved.
Speaker 1: We said probably wasn't gonna happen.
Speaker 3: It was definitely not gonna happen.
Speaker 5: And where Mal is like use your rage, and you're like, okay, rage literally lind you you cannot think through things logically. This is a dumb piece of advice to give to someone, but it's very classic Moll.
Speaker 1: We know he's going to do that.
Speaker 5: And the counter was just completely like finally the right thing to do, where you're like, hey, just go help that kid and like think through your steps and we'll probably survive this, like you've got the training, like just think about it. I was frustrated it because I was a part of me had started to hope that okay, well maybe all the way through we'll get a docy who's like just peace and resist, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Finally I was the right thing to do, Like yes.
Speaker 5: And I think to your point earlier, Rosie, it makes it challenging to be excited about. And I mean, listen, ask me if I want a season two.
Speaker 3: I do well now.
Speaker 5: I think one whether I wanted it or not, but I'm excited where we left off. It just feels like a mid season break. And I think too, like where we go off is not the strongest for like these characters. I was confused when they started breaking up over the like toxic sludge pool. I was like, why would you send your weakest characters? You would send part of the first then your weakest characters, and then you would do like the last MA would probably be last.
Speaker 1: But they didn't so we could get this clean.
Speaker 3: Break two x mark in a toxic waste you know, Like it's like that was not expected that they would just find a toxic wastefool that they could.
Speaker 1: But left no go ahead, go ahead. I was just I'll just wrap them up very quickly.
Speaker 5: I wish we had left these characters off in a place where, like if we had seen young laws and make a dramatic change after his father dies and he's like no, actually I'm getting.
Speaker 1: My mom involved now, and you're all fucked.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah mom.
Speaker 1: Or two boots like ping.
Speaker 5: The black police guy we don't know that much about, and see if he'll like come out like any kind of shift to be like I'm not aligned or reliant completely.
Speaker 1: That's the way where he's.
Speaker 3: Just like actually, like what the fuck are youtuboe talking about? Like what's this SITH thing? Like I want to take down the people who separated me from my diry too.
Speaker 5: I mean some kind of in these characters, like direct dynamic of their relationship, so that when we come back, we're like, ooh, where does this go? As opposed to everyone's kind of lost and again all we could do is be reactionary to our situation.
Speaker 1: It's just I there's so much, not enough. I remain just.
Speaker 2: To hit this point again with with the characters. I here's the thing I think is really interesting. Daki, for all his selflessness and you know, it's all about everybody else and Jedi's protect they don't attack and they defend. For Dakie to be the one like okay, I'll go yeah, you're right, Yeah, I'll get out of here.
Speaker 1: Let me get out of here.
Speaker 2: And you got these guys great for that is an interesting choice. If Devin sees that and goes, wait, what like yeah, very interesting that all of a sudden, now when it's you, you decide that selflessness is not the way. That's like, if there was, if there was a cost to that, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say it. If Season two actually utilizes Daky's uselessness as part of her seduction to the dark side because more can point out, like Jason said, look at all this fucked up shit E did. Look what he told you you needed to go to prison because you stole an apple. Look At when you fucking like let you get lured by me and didn't come and escape and help you, and I had to rescue you. And now look at this moment where he ran away when he was needed. You know, I think that could actually be really interesting. I also I am interested because Jason, I love that kind of point you made about like what if he just he aspires for these Faum families but they never really kind of come to pass in the way he wants. So I think season two does have an interest chance to go two ways. I think it will probably go the first way, which I'm going to say, which is basically like, now he has this unexpected, uncurated found family and it will work because two Boots and Riley will be a part of it. I don't want to see that version, but it seems in line with what they've done. Second version is he ends up with these two people who are not useful to him at all and suddenly has to realize this that the facade must drop because they're basically keeping mine, and we do get to explore that.
Speaker 2: Well, what what I was proposing in those two ideas also work. What I was proposing was more of a cult leader angle, where it's likely a family. We're a family, like we it's us against the world, like join with me, like the world is shit on us, and I care about you. I'm not like everybody else. I want to I want us all to win together, you know, like as a family.
Speaker 1: And in reality, that's.
Speaker 2: A that's just a pitch. These these people die all around him. He doesn't even bat a fucking eye. Now, what makes that, what makes that complex and cool is we saw the scene where he's tortured over the death of his actual family. So there's this It makes it complex if that's what they were going for.
Speaker 1: Where he thinks he's doing that.
Speaker 2: It's not like he's he's not a strategic he's not a strategic cult leader. Where he's like using this pitch to do this, he's like he's to a certain extent, emotionally blinded to the fact that this is what he's doing. He's truly hurting about the fact that he's lost his family, but on top of that, he doesn't care about these people the way he thinks he does.
Speaker 1: He doesn't care about them, and so that's interesting.
Speaker 5: That is very interesting. And to you know, if we put our Star Wars fan hats on, which is to say, we'll do the.
Speaker 1: Labor, don't worry, He's got.
Speaker 3: It. Is all like.
Speaker 5: That, we got this, We got this. I will say Mal's look of satisfaction when Daki is dead, He's like daughter. I was like, this is the ball I've been waiting for. And if I can talk about some of my favorite moments from these episodes, I will be in the conversation where they're negotiating. Now, do I wish there had been more machinations at the end of the day, Yes, But to see Mall at the head of the table, do you one is questioning?
Speaker 1: Like you know Le, I was like, this is what I've been waiting all season for.
Speaker 5: Like this Mall in his element cooking like I found that very satisfactory. I also did appreciate the performance on Devin. I think both people who uh Devin and young loss and when uh, you know, the dads die, I thought that.
Speaker 1: Tension was really great.
Speaker 5: And you know, we were talking earlier about the fact that this is a it is a kid's show. In America, you cannot show like red blood. That's why a lot of things ooze green when people die. I love the way Avatar The Last Airbender had a lot of very powerful emotional death sines.
Speaker 3: I still think about when returns to the Air Temple and finds out all his friends are dead.
Speaker 5: I stout that so so chilling, and that's like episode three.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's really early in the series.
Speaker 5: I thought Lawson kind of going off into the smoke and giving his son the last like, hey, I know I could have been better. I'm literally about to die in front of you. This maybe also could have been better lost and I don't want to give you notes. It was kind of a g thing to do, but also uh rather reckless uh for a lot of different ways. But I thought, like him just going into the fog was rather effective overall.
Speaker 3: So I do.
Speaker 1: I do think that, oh.
Speaker 5: Oh, the close ups of mall at the end, like just the brushstroke were and the level of detailed animators have put into this. It really allows you to sort of read re emotion. I saw they filmed a lot of sam we're delivering its lines with Mal's face paint so they could up his face and the way he pronounced annunciates words, And I think all of that hard work really paid off in the end, Like.
Speaker 1: There we got some really beautiful moments.
Speaker 5: And if you stretch and pull yourself to say, I know Mal so well, I can read between all of these lines. I do think there's a lot of exciting stuff just around the corner, Like hopefully we do get a lot more machinations in the next season, Hopefully we learn more about Devin than she's just angry.
Speaker 1: If I tried to.
Speaker 5: Describe Devin, I wouldn't know what to say other than she's like a she's a Twilight.
Speaker 3: And I don't even know what like one hobby is, Like everyone in Star Wars has like a thing, whether it's being a pilot, shooting one frats, whatever, Like what does she do?
Speaker 1: Good? She can fly? But is that what she loves? Joelle.
Speaker 2: That's a good point, because I want to say the one thing that is missing in Star Wars, and I would say, like almost all Star Wars writ large, is I want these various aliens to come with some kind of imprint of the culture that they were raised yes, who the story.
Speaker 3: Bang away to put.
Speaker 2: Everybody's just too homogeneous. And that goes double for the for the animated series, which I get like it is for kids, but the fact that there's no oh, you know, and we say this where I'm from or has some kind of from there, you know, from their past because some of this, but it's like not enough.
Speaker 3: I think a lot about how remember in the Force awakens, right when Ray makes that bread that's like it's like water and powder and it pops up and it's That was like such a huge, silent little moment, but everyone was like, oh my god, We've never seen that kind of food before. Like what does this tell us about her? Those are the moments we're missing. It's the same we got them. Actually ironically in Ahsoka. I think a lot about the Sabine stuff and like the Lothcats and the quiet little bits of time we got with them. I understand that they're on the run, it's a heist, it's a crime show, blah blah blah blah. But like, I don't know anything, Devin. Does she even listen to like space music? You know what I mean? Like I don't know anything. I am excited to see where they go with it in season two. But I was gonna ask you guys, like, once you've had darth More fight Vader, like who even where do you even go with season two? Like what's your big thing for season two? What's your big conflicting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really feel like we got our two jealous girlfriends here. They were going at it once found out like she's way more conditioned than I am. So Mal's gonna have to do what he can do better than Vader, which is I think on his own in season two.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 5: I wonder now, like you know, if you've read like in Vader and Throng, like go on a hunting Mission was one of my favorite stories. It's so delightful. I really hope we kind of I would love to see Thron pop up in this. I'm not gonna lie, Like, imagine Vader and Thron hunting Mall and he's got to like outsmart them with the syndicate. That's truly interesting.
Speaker 1: And I think two knowing.
Speaker 5: How much time is there between because yeah, because if Luke is like a baby right now where we are in the Mall storyline, he's like two or three. But we know that we're getting a young Han Solo Sore are like ten years between them, so we've got like probably seven or eight years roughly where Mall is at the head of this syndicate. Yeah, because he dies when Luke is about like ten or twelve. Yeah, you're Luke in the background on the planet. Okay, I'm in it. So yeah, I think we've got a lot of time hoping he's either Season two is like a large span of time that we're covering and we end the story in a really cool way, or we're gonna have to not get to the Emperor next season and you're gonna have to do like a thron Vader team up where they're fighting.
Speaker 1: And then we're leading into season three with.
Speaker 3: The season two hardcore crime actual dim running it like a crime boss could do a good time film for season three where you kind of have those big connections. I would love to see it. I'm interested. I haven't really seen any toys or any of the things that usually signify that they think they're going to keep making more seasons of these shows, but we do know that they're gonna make a season two. Okay, if you guys were gonna get one action figure from this show. Which character would you want?
Speaker 2: One of the Zabraks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with that nice little dramatic.
Speaker 2: Mask and that little mask over the face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was pretty bad ass.
Speaker 5: I want, you know, the really large figure in Sandy's that are like action pieces frozen in time. Yeah, I want like Mal and Devin fighting Smark Merrick.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think like all of their blaze, it's crossed.
Speaker 5: Like a.
Speaker 3: Big Toys situation. Yeah. I I would probably go for Darth, most funny ass little droid. He's the most like little guy, energy, love spy. He's like my show.
Speaker 1: He's just kills.
Speaker 3: He's got like big evil like John.
Speaker 2: And Evil you die.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean great jobs. We can't wait to see more care. There'd be more and more mawl in it next time, fingers cowl.
Speaker 2: On the next episode of Extra Vision, we're driving into Dairy Devil two eight. Finally that's this episode. Thanks for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Our supervising producer is Abuza part.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan, and Bay Wag.
Speaker 2: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator,