Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Getty and he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: Governor, just to follow up on that, the question was can you explain the direancy?
Speaker 4: All I said on this was is I got there that summer and misspoke on this, So I will just that's what I've said. So I was in Hong Kong and China during the democracy protest went in and from that I learned a lot of what needed to be in governance.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Governor.
Speaker 2: I found that perfectly satisfiying.
Speaker 1: That was a good moment for Margaret Brennan, who I am about to complain about because it was just horrific the moderation.
Speaker 2: But she didn't follow up on that.
Speaker 1: She didn't get let him get away with not answering that question, and then she let that hang there when she could have jumped in and rescued him. She just let that silence hang there. And you haven't finished your thought, and it doesn't make sense. So we're just gonna sit here and look at each other for a little bit and wonder how you hit.
Speaker 2: So today it was one of those moments.
Speaker 1: Andrew McCurry or does anybody want any more potato salad?
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: Andrew McCarthy of National Review tweeted this out during the debate. I was feeling this hard. The media bias in this debate is nearly as bad as the Trump hairs debate. It's not as evident because Vance has navigated it brilliantly true. He also said, after Wall speaks, every CBS question to answer, rather than inviting him just to respond, is loaded with a diversion, usually framing a Trump position inaccurately. He handles it with good cheer and poise, but it's you know, it is a form of bias.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, just talking about the idea of illegal immigration, perhaps kicking certain people out of the country. Are you going to separate parents from their children who will be ripped crying from the bosom of their mother?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 7: What, how?
Speaker 2: What this is our immigration question? Yeah? It was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And when then we go to Walls, they would just say, what's your immigration plan? Let him lay it out with uh. With Vance, you try to put him on the defensive right from the get going. One more tweet from Andy McCarthy, who we've had on the show many times. CBS doesn't think anyone sees this. When they ask Vance to respond, they loaded the question to Shield Walls. Last answer when they ask Walls to respond, it's however you want to respond, big guy, and still Vance is in command.
Speaker 2: But that is right.
Speaker 1: Walls would give an answer that it didn't quite make sense, and instead of just going to Vans and letting him respond to that and point that out, they would, you know, try to put him on the defensive with some quote often incorrect or fact right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, a pattern over and over again. So Katie Greener esteemed to use woman joins us And this is just a quick aside, but I find myself as a bit of a wordsmith trying to avoid venting my discontent with the moderator ladies by using female specific insults, empathets, whatever you want to call it, because it feels sexist to me, and it's a funny aspect of the language, probably because men and women are very different that if I'm angry at the performance of a woman, I'm going to go to a woman's specific word. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, we all know what that list is you as darling woman? Darling is one of them? No, it's not on my list, sweems. What list are you looking at?
Speaker 2: Sweetheart? There you go?
Speaker 6: Right, So you as a woman, if you are thinking, no, O'Donnell and what's her face?
Speaker 2: The Brennan are Margaret? They call her.
Speaker 6: Are doing a terrible job that bias. Would you use a female specific term there?
Speaker 5: I think you absolutely could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, but you just if you're in real life?
Speaker 6: What'd you think of the moderators last night TC?
Speaker 2: There are many options, yeah, many many letters.
Speaker 8: Not to go down the like swear word, call him a couple of cat ladies, nitwitz, I like that.
Speaker 6: So I think I just need to go with gender neutral terms because I would not want to be thought of as a misogynist, because I'm not so just jackass.
Speaker 2: Of course that's male specific, isn't.
Speaker 8: Dang bats Bembo's Bembo's is kind of ama.
Speaker 6: That's female, right, yeah, No, if if it were a fellow, I might tie him to his gen and.
Speaker 1: Colin right, yeah, yeah, exactly, you know, might be gentle related nickname, but a.
Speaker 5: Couple of jumps, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I just it's funny anyway.
Speaker 8: I can see what you mean though, because it would sound like it degrading, which I don't understand. I don't know where in that line of communication that happened.
Speaker 6: But a couple of smug phonies, lying biased advocates for one side over the other, pretending to be neutral.
Speaker 2: I can't stand them all. True, but Joe dropped some unkind no.
Speaker 6: No, hey, hey, behind closed doors privileged communication, attorney client something or other.
Speaker 5: Right ones, though more so than the ones we can stay on the air.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well anyway, so, yeah, they're horribly biased. But I thought mister Vance held his own quite nicely, and Tim Walls came off as a bald headed Sarah Palin. But it depends who you ask, what poles you look at. It could be the eye of the beholder.
Speaker 1: Certainly, Sarah Palin killed in that first debate by the way she was in absolutely true.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was only later that her lack of depths.
Speaker 2: Walls did not run out.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 1: Again, the short poles are roughly even, I think, because so many people are just buried in there.
Speaker 2: I'm for this side or not or that side. Yeah, I would.
Speaker 6: I would love to see them somehow restrict poles, although you couldn't too. Are you an undecided voter in a swing state? If the answers no move on.
Speaker 1: Everybody would love if you could poll just undecided voters in swing states that because that's the whole game.
Speaker 6: Well right, Because if you're a decided voter, there's a very very small chance that you found jd Vance so transcendent you've decided to vote for Trump almosting already decided to vote for Harris.
Speaker 2: So those poles are are kind of silly.
Speaker 6: Anyway, to the substance of the debate, the one topic everyone can agree is incredibly important, the economy. Michael will start with sixty in roll from there.
Speaker 9: A lot of what Kamala Harris proposes to do, and some of it, I'll be honest with you, it even sounds pretty good. Here's what you want here is that Kamala Harris has already done it. Because she's been the Vice president for three and a half years, she had the opportunity to enact all of these great policies, and what she's actually done instead is drive the cost of food higher by twenty five percent, drive the cost of housing higher by about sixty percent. Open the American southern border and make middle class life unaffordable for a large number of Americans. If Kamala Harris has such great plans for how to address middle class problems, then she ought to do them now, not one asking for promotion, but in the job the American people gave her three and a half years ago, And the fact that she isn't tells you a lot about how much you can trust her actual plans.
Speaker 6: Number one theme in our email this morning drop us a note mail bag at Armstrong and Geddy dot com. Number one theme by far not even close, is I wish Jade Vance could be the candidate because he's able to clearly articulate the case against Kamala Harris like he did right there.
Speaker 2: It was really good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a take by a couple of my favorite pundits that I was watching last night. Is it was a great night for JD. Vance's political career. It may not have changed anything with this current presidential election, but it was really good for him as a guy who's only forty years old and his future in twenty eight thirty two, She's thirty eight, forty six.
Speaker 2: Whatever the next numbers are.
Speaker 1: Because he's only forty and since we're willing to elect eighty year old, he's got a long way to go.
Speaker 6: Well now, to be fair, let's give the Florida old coach Waltz, who's fresh back from tian Men Square where he was participating in the Apollo program.
Speaker 2: Next clip, Michael.
Speaker 4: My pro tip of the day is this, if you need heart surgery, listen to the people at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Not Donald Trump, Governor.
Speaker 9: You say, trust the experts, But those same experts for forty years said that if we shipped our manufacturing base.
Speaker 2: Off to China, we'd get cheaper goods. They lied about that.
Speaker 9: They said if we shipped our industry base off to other countries, to Mexico and elsewhere, it would make the middle class stronger.
Speaker 2: They were wrong about that.
Speaker 9: They were wrong about the idea that if we made America less self reliant, less productive in our own nation, that it would somehow make us better off.
Speaker 2: And they were wrong about it.
Speaker 9: And for the first time in a generation, Donald Trump had the wisdom and the courage to say, to that bipartisan consensus, we're not doing it anymore.
Speaker 6: I'm reminded of Churchill's famous rejoinder when he was pointing out that he'd changed his position on an issue, and he said, the facts have changed, so I've changed my opinion. And a lot of the philosophies of the twentieth century in terms of trade and economics, I think they're no longer valid because the world has changed so much, and you're seeing that on the Republican side of the aisle.
Speaker 2: More and more voters are saying, yeah.
Speaker 6: The free trade thing lovely as far as it went, but not anymore, especially because we're in bed with our greatest geopolitical adversary, that is, as we speak, figuring out how to bring us to Ruin through every gizmo they send us and every bit of trade they engage in.
Speaker 1: There is no specific questions about China at all, or the war between Russia and Ukraine, or the debt. Of course that never comes up. Debt and spending never comes up, so that's that's not unique here.
Speaker 2: It is part is an issue in its way. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It's crazy that Ukraine and Russia didn't come up, especially since jd. Vance is a pretty extreme position on it, has said some pretty extreme things about it. I'm surprised they didn't use that as an opportunity to attack him, but that, yeah, didn't come up abortion. We like half the debate a climate change for like the other half of the debate abortion climate change.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you're just tuning in and sometimes we forget that people you know, come and go and the rest of it. It was much more gentlemanly and policy focused than any debate for quite a long time.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 6: It was very very good in a lot of ways. The moderating wasolutely terrible, and it was weird that they steered clear of those issues Jack just mentioned. But they made it seem like the average American woman has an abortion about as frequently as she goes to the grocery store once every week or so at least, right, I mean, like abortion is it's the topic you talk about every day among the family.
Speaker 2: Have any abortions today, honey?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: But work was good. It's amazing, it is. It absolutely is.
Speaker 1: Oh and by the way, and I've had this story for weeks and haven't gotten to it because I'm never in the mood to talk about late term abortion or infanticide.
Speaker 2: But Tim Walls is.
Speaker 1: Absolutely freaking either wrong or lying depending on what his motives are about his role in that law and babies in Minnesota and babies surviving abortions and whether they die. The Dispatch had a fact check on her last night, and there's hardly a news organization in America. I trust more than the Dispatch to get it right. And they have the statistics eight babies died after an abortion because of they don't offer the services to keep them alive, as signed by Tim Wall specifically.
Speaker 2: And you know there was no fact checking on that last night.
Speaker 6: No, indeed, and that is absolutely provable. I wanted to do more on the economy, but we rented and raved too much, sez too Yes, please stop yelling at me, you she ass uh yes, So more to come after a quick word from her friends at American Financing. Of course, you've heard that the Federal Reserve has dropped interest rates, So now is the perfect time to call her friends at American Financing. With mortgage rates in the fours, now it's the perfect time to consolidate debt and reduce your monthly expenses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because a lot of people have run up their credit cards because everything is so dang expensive at the grocery store and your gas and your power and your childcare. You put that on your credit card. But credit card rates are really high, insanely high. Mortgage rates are now quite low, and there's time. The time is right now to wipe out your debt.
Speaker 6: American Financing is helping homeowners just like you save over eight hundred bucks a month, and that's just the average. They're even closing some in as fast as ten days. And if you start today, you may delay two mortgage payments, so no upfront fees to worry about. To find out how much you can save, call American Financing Today. American Financing triple eight eight four one thirteen nineteen. That's eight eight eight eight four to one, thirteen nineteen. American Financing dot net.
Speaker 8: MLS one eight two three three four nmls Consumer access dot org.
Speaker 11: If you are for rights in the five six point zero one four percent for well qualified borrowers, called eight eight eight eight four to one thirteen nineteen for details about credit cards in terms.
Speaker 5: Armstrong and Yetti, I'll get this.
Speaker 12: In a new swing state, Paul Harris is losing voters aged sixty five and older by seven points. Yeah, it seems like older voters might be her biggest weakness, which explains why she changed her campaign slogan a few times recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at this.
Speaker 12: Kamala twenty twenty four, A chair in every shower.
Speaker 2: Look at this one.
Speaker 12: Here is Kama twenty two five, where your glasses are on your head, you're welcome. And finally there's Kamala twenty twenty four. I'm going to find out where that draft is coming from.
Speaker 2: Like, wow, it's cold right every No, I don't. I don't appreciate the you know, having.
Speaker 1: Sport with the older voter at a restaurant the other night, and I brought up a cold draft at the restaurant to the waiter. Oh, my kids mocked me endlessly for that. Katie's Katie's look on your face?
Speaker 2: What? What did?
Speaker 8: What did the sweet waitress say when you brought up a cold draft?
Speaker 1: Jack, I said, hasn't anybody ever said that before? She said, no, put on a shawl or stay at home and you're really hot, hot house grandpa.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's funny. It was freezing.
Speaker 1: I've never been that cold in a restaurant in my life. Something had gone wrong. It's also like the chair in the shower joke, that's pretty funny. It's Fat Bear Week in Alaska, and Joe said, oh, I love Fat Bear Week.
Speaker 6: What's fat I'm a big fan, big fan. They've got these bear cams where the bears are in the rivers fishing for the salmon, and and everybody votes on which bear has gotten the fattest's feasting on the salmon, because you know with bears, they eat a tremendous amount and then they hibernate for the winter, which is coming up. That says like a good plank gets some big, fat, grizzly bears and everybody picks their fath I might try that some year. They've been back to back winners and then young up starts to come along as very exciting you can to try the bear.
Speaker 5: We're gonna have a fat Jack.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get as fat as I can like during the summer months and then just sleep all winter as much as like, yeah, perfectly, hardly get out of bed, just don't eat much, and then wake up.
Speaker 2: We fill out my revenge bod in the spring. Um. Sure, that's how it works.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk to a lot of each gen about last night's debate coming up. He's one of the best political pundits in America, and he's helped coach people for debates and.
Speaker 2: All that sort of stuff, so he's got a lot of knowledge there.
Speaker 1: Did you see the guy who bought the Taylor Swift guitar? No, and then smashed it. So he paid a whole bunch of money for a Taylor Swift guitar that was up for sale as like a charity or something like that, and he bought it, he smashed it.
Speaker 2: He's the sort of YouTube provocateur, that sort of guy. Of course, people went nuts.
Speaker 8: So they went nuts, and he actually had to well he well he didn't have to, but he apologized saying that by destroying it he wasn't meaning to be violent.
Speaker 1: Right, And now he's going to do a fundraiser of some sort of around the smash guitar to raise even more money for the charity.
Speaker 6: But brings to mind John Hyatt's fabulous, perfectly good guitar. Great song if you're into the rock and roll music?
Speaker 2: How old can you? How old Jay is? Is? A old Walls Tim Wall held.
Speaker 1: Might be he's sixty turn he just turned sixty, that's right to remember when he made a big deal out of his birthday he reads much older, which might be an advantage in politics mostly, but it's you'd never know he was the same age as Kamala Harris. I mentioned that to somebody last night watching the Baby said, no, he's like seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Nice, he's sixty. Yeah, he's sixty.
Speaker 6: I mean it was what thirty thirty five years ago that he was heavyweight champion of the world and simultaneously the American League batting champ.
Speaker 1: You're insinuating that he exaggerates about his resume.
Speaker 6: Everything all the time. There's not an aspect of his resume. His wife is probably just his girlfriend. I mean, he exaggerates everything.
Speaker 2: Mind your own damn business.
Speaker 1: Lots of politicians, it turns out, do this, and so it's got to be when they run for a big office, when people start looking into their stories, they go, oh, oh, I've been getting away with this my whole life, the whole I was at Tieneman Square or whatever you're claiming.
Speaker 6: Oh no, now you people are checking this sort of thing. I better go through this. Mentally, I'm not sure what's true and what's not anymore, because it's never mattered.
Speaker 1: Did the debate matter, did it move the needle? Among the things we'll talk to lanahe Chin about coming.
Speaker 8: I'm just stay with us Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 13: My overall impression is that both men came to seem likable, and I think it's quite possible that both men achieved that task.
Speaker 8: I think the lack of interviews that he has done with national media with local media, it showed he needed more.
Speaker 1: Talking about Tim Walls there that second person, I guess Jake Tapper nailed that on CNN because on their own polling, both candidates went up by double digits in terms of their favorability after the debate, So both came came away more likable, apparently. So I took in a ton of punditry right after the debate, and it varied from depending on you know you like going into Walls was either nervous and unprepared or seemed like a regular guy up there because of his nervousness in the way he talks. And jd Vance was either hold about.
Speaker 2: Coronavirus freaking COVID.
Speaker 1: Jd Vance was either polished and skilled or slick and some other word differ, Yeah, something like that. So it's funny how you know you can call something polished or slick, and they have two different, two different meanings you're trying to convey even though they're the same thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love the notion of he seemed like a regular guy. I think the greatest superpower on Earth has the right task for an irregular guy, like an exceptional guy, to lead the country or be second in command.
Speaker 2: But that's just me.
Speaker 6: Let's discuss the debate with Lanai Chen David and Diane Stephie fellow in American Public Policy Studies at the Uber Institution and the Director of Domestic Policy Studies at Stanford University.
Speaker 2: Lonnie, how are you. I'm fine.
Speaker 7: Great to be with you guys.
Speaker 1: So what was your own expert pundit takeaway after you watch the debate?
Speaker 7: Well, I don't know about expert.
Speaker 11: I mean, look, I think, first of all, if you're not an expert, who the hell is an expert?
Speaker 2: You're an expert.
Speaker 7: There are no experts anymore.
Speaker 11: I think, first of all, I was really I guess I felt really good after the debate because I thought there was a level of civility and substance to the conversation that we've been missing in our politics for a while. I mean, I remember telling my kids like, this is what politics was like when I was growing up, and it felt.
Speaker 7: A little bit like that.
Speaker 11: In terms of the impacts, I think both sides will find things to take from it. I mean, clearly, Vance, in my view, had the stronger performance on substance and on style. You know, people can say that Tim Walls came off like an ordinary guy. The reality is that I think we do have an expectation that if you're going to be vice president, you know you're gonna have to step up a little bit. And I think the first let's call it fifteen minutes of the debate for Walls were not great, and I think that set the tone for him. I think the other reason why it felt like Vance had the stronger debate is because there weren't any moments in the debate that were just major missteps for Vance, whereas I felt like Walls's answer on like were you actually in China for the Tienamen Square massacre one of the most significant events in world history, you should be able to remember whether you were there or not, And the fact that he gave an answer which was basically like, well, I misspoke that one's going.
Speaker 7: To have a long tail, I fear for Tim Walls.
Speaker 11: If you're a Tim Walls fan or a Harris Van's a Harris Walls fan, I think there'll be a long tail on that one. So that moment was the only one for me that I think could cause trouble for either campaign down the road.
Speaker 6: My impression was that and this is only relevant for the undecided voters in swing states. Honestly, I think the most relevant or important development last night was that JD. Vance came off as somebody you could picture as president and Walls did not.
Speaker 2: Am I just being biased? No?
Speaker 7: I think Vance passed the test.
Speaker 11: I mean there were two things he had to do coming into the evening, and in my view, number one was to paint himself in a more favorable light, because all of the survey research coming into the debate was that people viewed JD.
Speaker 7: Unfavorably.
Speaker 11: Now I don't know why, in particular, given that you know he aside from the couple comments he's made, I don't know that there's been a whole lot out there about him. So I think that the first thing was he had to paint himself in a more favorable light.
Speaker 7: The second thing was.
Speaker 11: He had to make Kamala Harris into the incumbent. That was his goal in this debate, in case that wasn't obvious to people, is to basically say, listen, for all the things that Kamala Harris has said about trying to solve America's problems, She's had an opportunity to solve them for the last three and a half years and she hasn't done so. So on both of those accounts, I thought Vance was successful.
Speaker 7: Walls, you know.
Speaker 11: I mean, look, I think the first fifteen minutes of debate were very problematic for him and that will carry through, even though I do think he found his footing and did have some moments in the so let's say the last hour of the debate. I just think you're right that this was a stronger debate for Vance and we'll have a longer tail of advantage for the Trump Vance ticket.
Speaker 1: So I hate to even bring this topic up because it's kind of tired, but it seems to be getting worse. And even some of my favorite pundits said, oh my god, not again. CBS was practically as bad as ABC with the whole it's going to be three on one. Is there anything the Republicans can do about it. They said, no fact checking, and then of course there they were fact checking the Republican.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's very challenging.
Speaker 11: I think this has been a challenging cycle for the media and I think what if anything this demonstrates to me at least, is that the old system we had. You may remember before this campaign, we had a commission on presidential debates and they tended to vet. They didn't tend to they did they vetted and picked the moderators. And not that the moderators pre twenty twenty four were universally good. I mean, I remember Candy Crowley being atrocious in twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: You had to mass how I think you were on that campaign with the believe me.
Speaker 7: I mean that was had to that.
Speaker 11: I mean you talk about the ultimate, uh biased fact check.
Speaker 7: That was it.
Speaker 11: But but you know, for the as a general matter, putting Candy and maybe one other example like a big of a side like they they had reasonably good moderators. And I think what we found now that the media organizations have taken over the debates in this cycle is that the moderation has been much more uneven. And to your point, you know, if you're going to say at the outset we're not going to fact check, then don't fact check, right, I mean, be one way or the other. If you're going to say, like listen, we're going to fact check, then do it and do it evenly with both candidates. Because there were things, you know, they could have pressed Walls a lot harder. On the tenement square thing. I think they did press them a little bit. They should have pressed them a little bit more. There are several of the things during this campaign that have been said by Walls about his background that are questionable. Those are things they should have fact checked or at least put out there. The fact that that wasn't done, to me, suggests that we need to go back to a system where there's a mutual agreement on moderators.
Speaker 7: And that's really that.
Speaker 11: Really give some thought to that ahead of time, because I agree thus far I think the moderation in this cycle hasn't been great.
Speaker 2: Just in general.
Speaker 6: Do you think last night's debate was more important than most VP debates, which have been completely unimportant in the past.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 11: My gut tells me no, it's going to be pretty much the same. And again, there wasn't a huge viral moment. I mean, if you think back to VP debates in the past, when they've really stood out, it's been you know, when Lloyd Benson went after I think it was Dan Quayle, when Quayle compared himself to John F. Kennedy and Benson said, you know, I knew him, he was a friend, you know, Jack Kennedy.
Speaker 2: That was a moment.
Speaker 11: There have been moments in these debates that have stood out. That's the only way in which a VP debate does tend to have a lasting influence on public opinion. And I just didn't see it night, so to me, at least, you know, when you see some short term movement, yes, does it affect the trajectory of the race as being a very close race? It's going to be tightly contested in the six or seven states we're talking about. No, I think this debate did not have that kind of influence.
Speaker 2: Saw.
Speaker 1: I was reminded yesterday reading a couple of different pieces from pundits that the Harris Walls ticket is the most liberal ticket in US history by a major party, and I had forgotten that. I mean, it clearly is the Trump campaign somehow needs to do a better job of just hammering that over and over and over again to where even if people decide that's the direction they want to go, knowing that's the direction they're.
Speaker 11: Going, that is the direction they need to go in. And I mean, if you look at again, if you look at what the research tells us, that is the point on which Harris Walls are most vulnerable, which is this notion that they are well to the left of the American mainstream. And I think actually last night JD. Vance demonstrated what a concerted and substantive attack on some of those fronts. Looks like he was a very focused debater last night, which I think is of course in contrast to Trump, because when Trump's up there, he talks about whatever Trump wants to talk about, right, and that's not nearly as focused as Vance. I thought Vance was very effective because he did prosecute some of that case last night. But I agree completely with you that the only way I think that they continue to make headway that the Trump dance ticket is by emphasizing how and to what degree the Democratic ticket is is to the left of where the American mainstream is on many issues, not just by the way I think their proposals have moderated quite frankly. If you look at the proposals that they put out there during the last couple of weeks, they appear very moderate. But if you look at their governing histories, both Kamala Harris and Tim Walls, you do have a very left of center record, particularly in Walls.
Speaker 7: I mean, Walls has done.
Speaker 11: Some wacky things in Minnesota, and the Trump dance ticket needs to figure out a way to get that out there.
Speaker 1: One day, Lon Heatchen is running for governor of California, and we're going to do everything in our power to get you over the top.
Speaker 11: Well, I appreciate that it's gonna have to be a very different world than the one we live in now. It's birth two on which that happens.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, and I was just gonna say, if undecided voters a fall for the whole no no, no, I'll govern is a moderate thing. Again, that will be very frustrating for me. So, lanhie Chen of the Hoover Institution, Stanford University, you have an event tonight, I believe, not far from the radio ranch in scenic Sacramento, California.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 11: Yeah, we'll be up there in Sacramento talking about the election with some folks from the Sacramento area. So if people are interested, it's a Sacramento County Republican Party event, they can check it out.
Speaker 7: And you know, would love to see you there and would love.
Speaker 11: To talk more about last night's debate and what we think is going to happen in the elections and just have a great chat. I love being up in sacrament I think it's been a little hot up there today, but aside from that, Aside from that, I always love being in the area and look forward to seeing some old friend.
Speaker 6: Why two revelations there turns out there is a Republican Party in Sacramento, California, and Sacramento, apparently.
Speaker 2: Is there talking to me from the control room, is.
Speaker 6: The capital of California. Lanihe Chen, thanks so much. Great to talk to you as always.
Speaker 7: Hey, great to be with you guys.
Speaker 2: Take care yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a private conversation with Lonnie and we went out to dinner with him when we were at the convention, and I don't think he would mind us sharing this and that he's pretty pessimistic about politics in California getting any better anytime. Soon as well he should be, which is just depressing as hell.
Speaker 2: Doomed.
Speaker 7: Doom.
Speaker 1: You can get doomed if you become a one party state, Yeah, particularly if one party has captured certain institutions like public employee unions that can turn out enough vote and to get into this circular money thing where they give each other money.
Speaker 6: And so it's just the average voter cannot break through. It's I read, Oh, I held on to it now I can't remember where. It is an absolutely elegant way to express That's what I've been talking about for years, which is if you have concentrated benefit but disperate cost, the benefit people will always win because they really really make out, but the cost is spread across the entire tax base, and so those people never like come together and rise up and the scam. And California is all about that scam.
Speaker 1: Often playing a big role, certainly in California Union. Speaking of that topic, that didn't come up last night, the big long shortman strike. The guy that's the head of that union is quite a piece of work. If you don't know his whole story.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I actually don't want to talk about him, because when I go to sleep tonight, I don't want it to be with the fishes if you follow me, Wow, what are you hinting at?
Speaker 2: So that's coming up? Discuss right?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 2: Shut up, we get it.
Speaker 1: The Democrats are the party unions, and one of the biggest unions in the country's on striker right now. The long sharman didn't come up on the debate last night because it wouldn't have been good for.
Speaker 2: The left, so they didn't want to get into that topic. I guess. So let's get into it now.
Speaker 6: Ladies and gentlemen, we give you the head of the long Shoreman's Union, Herald Jade Daggett.
Speaker 9: Are you worried that this strike is gonna hurt the everyday American?
Speaker 2: The farmers that need to read they reached the export market. They're telling me that they're gonna hurt them.
Speaker 10: Start to realize who the long shoremen are, right, nobody can keep and Nevi gave it about us until now when they finally realize that the chain is being broke. Now, cars won't come in, food won't come in, clothing won't come in. You know how many people depend on odd jobs half the world, and it's time for them, and time for Washington to put so much pressure on them to take care of us, because we took care of them and we're here one hundred and thirty five years and brought to where they are today, and they don't want to share.
Speaker 6: These people today don't know what a strike is, said a fiery mister Daggett.
Speaker 2: I'll cripple you. I will cripple you.
Speaker 1: And he doesn't sound like the kind of guy that's mobbed up out of a movie at all, or exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like he was. He was like he was a paid actor.
Speaker 1: I want you to portray a union boss is mobbed up. Okay, I think I can do it. You know, we need to do another take. That was a little over the top. Can we ease back on that a little bit so.
Speaker 6: Daggett's work at the union has sometimes attracted the attention of authorities who've previously accused him of mob ties, a claims he has denied.
Speaker 2: Really he said, he didn't say, you got me.
Speaker 6: In five he stood trial in Brooklyn on wire and mail fraud charges alongside another ILA official and an alleged mobster, accused of steering union benefits to contracts to firms that paid kickbacks to organized crime. Again, I say witnesses testified the Daggett was elevated. This is witnesses under oath in public testifying Daggitt was elevated through the ila by the mob because he was an associate of the Genevese crime family. He denies it, said he's terrified of crime families and went out of his way to avoid them. He says they forget about it. The three defendants were acquitted. Lawrence Ricci, the defendant alleged to be a Genovi's crime family member, went missing during the trial and was later found partly decomposed in the trunk of a car outside the Huck Finn Diner in Scenic Union, New Jersey.
Speaker 2: That is too much.
Speaker 1: I mean, that is too on the nose to even be believable. So this guy you just heard from that has the longshoreman on strike, that's costing the country five billion dollars a day. And there are now forty ships backed up off the coast in the Gulf forty. There were a couple yesterday, forty today. It'll be two hundred by next week if this keeps going anyway. So that guy's on trial and one of the key witnesses disappears and is found in the true bunk up a car behind a diner in New Jersey, like it's out of a bad Sopranos copy show clarification.
Speaker 6: He was one of the defendants. And it's pretty obvious that the family thought this guy's gonna crack. I can tell by looking at it. He's gonna crack. Gotcha? So he went to sleep in a trunk and decomposed. It could happen to anybody. Oh, let's see. So Daggett has called leave a drunk. He called the allegations of mob influenced total bullless in a dark, ugly attack on Italian America.
Speaker 2: How dare you?
Speaker 6: Last year, according to the US Labor Department filings, he earned seven hundred and twenty eight thousand dollars as head of the ILA and a further one hundred and seventy three grand as president emeritus of the Mechanics Local Chapter at Port Newark. His son Dennis, who has senior roles in both groups, was paid a total of more than seven hundred thousand dollars himself.
Speaker 1: Wow, so Dad's getting about a million dollars a year and with benefits would be worth a lot more than that, because I heard him talking about their vacation and the healthcare plans they have and everything like that, and then the way you get to use vacation time blah blah blah, and then his son's making crazy money.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: Leaving the cargo terminal in Elizabeth, New Jersey, New Jersey, early Tuesday morning, he suggested in his gruff manner that he and ILA members are digging in for a lengthy showdown. Somebody asked him how long the strike might last, and the poet Laureate of American Labor said, and I quote, I don't have an effing crystal ball between my legs, but it will last very long.
Speaker 2: I would tell you that. Woh my god, Wow my god.
Speaker 6: When you don't even feel like you have to pretend anymore, that's what's most amazing about this.
Speaker 1: And you've seen this with the United autoworkers sometimes too. They feel so untouchable they can just basically say it out loud. Yeah I'm mobbed up. Yeah I'm rich. He drives a Bentley, this guy, so he's not it's not like he's trying to hide his success.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: He and P Diddy could probably compare notes on feeling untouchable.
Speaker 2: But you're right.
Speaker 1: The fact that they don't feel like they even need to pretend that they're not what they are, Yeah, is how untouchable they feel and have been for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Wait for miss an hour.
Speaker 1: Get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty