Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com. Good morning, everybody, Happy Tuesday. Have an amazing show for everybody today.
Speaker 1: What do we have, pristalded?
Speaker 4: We do. Many things unfolding in this town.
Speaker 2: As per usual, the showdown over USAID continues, as Elon Musk's hostile takeover of the government also continues. Canada and Mexico tariffs are off, at least temporarily. China tariff's still on. Saga and I are going to talk about it. Matt Stiller is also going to join to weigh in on this particular tariff regime. As floated. And he is also going to talk to us about some of the movement at Nationally Relations Board, which has effectively been gutted at this point, the Securities Exchange Commission, the CFPB, that's like the anti scam agency which also enforcement actions seem to be have been gutted there as well, So he'll weigh in on all of that. The DOJ out with the new DEI program, this one to combat anti Semitism, taking some shots from both left and right, not too happy about this particular direction. And Anthony Lowenstein is going to join us to talk about his new documentary about the way that weapons systems have been tested in Gaza and Palestine in general, but specifically in Gaza post October seventh. And he's also going to weigh in on the latest developments with regards to BB's visit to the US, which is today. He's also already announced he's going to extend his visits. That's right, he's extending down for a little extra time.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of open secrets right in terms of admitting like where your bread is buttered, in terms of what really all matters. There was an interesting meeting yesterday with Steve Whitdcoff and with Mike Walston Blair else. I am tapping my sources to find out about the laundry crystal. That's all I can think about. I gotta know whether it's true or what. Maybe he's been shamed into stopping it. But all right, let's get to usaid.
Speaker 2: So Elon Musk's takeover the government continues. Trump yesterday in the Oval Office was asked a little bit about his thoughts on how all of this is going.
Speaker 4: Let's take a listen to that.
Speaker 5: They're finding tremendous waste, really waste, more than anything else.
Speaker 6: I think you could.
Speaker 5: Say probably fraud and abuse can be added to it, the more standard waste, fraud and abuse. But they're finding tremendous amounts of really bad things, bad spending. Elon can't do and won't do anything without our approval. And we'll give him the approval. We're appropriate, we're not appropriate, we won't. But he reports in and he it's something that he feels very strongly about it, and I'm impressed because he's running out a big company, has nothing to do. If there's a conflict that we won't let him get near it. But he does have a good natural instinct. He's got a team of very talented people.
Speaker 7: The first from the USA. He was something that you liked in some respect.
Speaker 6: I love the concept of yeah that's the program.
Speaker 5: Sure, I love the concept. But they turned out to be radical left lunatics and the concept of it is good, But it's all about the people's an act.
Speaker 8: Of Congress to do away with USAID or if you believe you, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: If not when it comes to fraud, If there's fraud, these people are lunatics, and if it comes to fraud, you wouldn't have an Act of Congress. And I'm not sure that you would anyway. But we just want to do the right thing that it's something that should have been done a long time ago.
Speaker 2: So weighing in there specifically on Elon's conflicts of interest and also on the USAID push to effectively dismantle that organization, bring it under the State Department. More on that in just a moment, Democrats or start to try to make a stand with regard to USAID in particular.
Speaker 4: You know, the conflict of interest.
Speaker 2: Piece is also quite important. Elon obviously has massive conflicts of interest across the entire federal garment.
Speaker 4: Just as one example.
Speaker 2: You know, we documented yesterday how he and his cronies gained access to the Treasury payment system. I mean, Elon wants to turn Twitter into a payment processor. Not to mention that for any tech overlord, having access to all of our data kind of an important and valuable commodity. I also was just reading that apparently he was influential in the pick that Trump made for the head of the Air Force, and it's a guy who lo and Behold was very influential in getting SpaceX contracts for Elon. So he is, officially, we now know Soccer, a special government employee. I think Caroline Lovett said that yesterday. There's actually criminal statute, criminal statute that governs the way you have to operate and the way you have to avoid any potential conflicts of interest when you are in that you know, special government employee capacity.
Speaker 4: This is usually people.
Speaker 2: Brought in on sort of like a temporary basis as specific experts in a field. That is the designation that Elon has. So, I mean, it's just it's wild what's going on.
Speaker 3: That status is the same one that was used by Ivanka and by Jared, because they also didn't draw salaries last time they were in the White House. But as you said, it's actually legally important. I think you sent this Richard Painter, who's a government ethics experts as a special Government employees still have to abide by.
Speaker 1: Conflict of interest laws.
Speaker 3: And I actually what I took away the most from the Trump comments is I think you could see some of the dangers here that are ahead with the elon because he's like, well, we'll give him permission whenever we need to, anything he doesn't need to will take it away from him. They are saying that it's quote read only access to the treasury payments, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But no, you're absolutely right about that data I get.
Speaker 3: I mean this kind of brings us back to our big debate yesterday though, And look, I hate to give credit where it is, but mounting a fight about USAID is politically genius in a few ways.
Speaker 1: Let's put this up there on the screen.
Speaker 3: For example, where we have members of Congress attempting to enter USAID is some speech, so they give us some speeches.
Speaker 1: Around this as well.
Speaker 3: The thing that I'm kind of like thinking about with all of this, and it gets to what we were talking about yesterday is at the end of the day, not only were we talking about an agency with point seven percent of the federal budget which is now getting rolled into the State Department, but mounting a fight on USAID, which again some of the least popular elements of the federal government, which is foreign aid to other nations, just doesn't seem like the ground for the Democrats where I would want to be. And we're going to play some of the quiet part out loud things about what USAID is. I thought, you know, the strongest ground that the Democrats are opposition to Trump have had so far as on tariffs, on medicare, meals, on wheels.
Speaker 1: Obviously they abandon all three of those. Unfortunately in the tariff case. We can talk about that in.
Speaker 3: A bit, but the ground of fighting for USAID just doesn't seem like one of those political To do it, you have to be reading the news and really involved. Me Like, okay, so Elon has gained access and they've rolled it onto the statee Department. It's like, well, you kind of already lost it. And then people are like, well, how does it affect my life? It's like, well, some Malawian healthcare program may get cut and people are like, okay, well, why were we even paying for that in the first place. So I'm just not sure this is the right move for the Democrats on this one. The medicare won the meals on wheels absolutely, but I mean, I think it's te very telling right that immediately the Trump administration bucked on that where picking a fight on USAID, one of the smallest agencies. The only agency smaller than the USAID is in USTR, the US Trade representative zero point seven percent of the federal budget. Overwhelmingly, if you were a pull this stuff super unpopular, maybe pepfar, you know, is the only one where people are like, Okay, the rest of it, I mean, we'll talk about the you know, money laundering and the CIA ops and all the other malfeasance and fraud that's run through the USA I D over the years.
Speaker 1: I just I don't think this is it.
Speaker 3: Like I feel like the Dems are searching for something and this is where they're like, we're mounting our stand here for USAID. I mean, you know, like, are we really weeping tears for four and eight pro wellams?
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I think you make some good points there, but I think that that is intentionally why they went after USAID first.
Speaker 3: No, I agree, that's why I'm saying I have to give them credit for being small like.
Speaker 2: They I mean, first, I think there may be also a personal element here because USAID was also involved in, you know, pushing for the end of apartheid, so there may be some personal South African hurt feelings there.
Speaker 4: Not a joke, is it true?
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, that's true. Okay, well blame Reagan, right, But.
Speaker 2: In any case, yeah, they see it as a sort of trial balloon because if you can get away with dismantling usai D, which is you know, was aw the rise by an Act of Congress, which you know, it's authority comes from specific laws that were passed that give it statutory authority as its own independent agency. If you can get away with that, then you can get away with anything. And we already know that, you know, Elon and Trump have both projected Department of Education is next, and you know that'll be a more difficult fight because people like their kids being educated, and there's a lot of funding that goes for you know, for poor kids and for kids with special needs and for school lunches and things like that that come from the federal government. But if you've already been able to dismantle one agency without a fight, then guess what you are going to be able to do everything you want to do. And so, you know, we'll get to the rest of the elements here in just a second. But I do think it's useful to kind of zoom out and ask yourself what is Elon's project here? And we've talked about this before. Elon's ideology is not the as what Trump ran on in you know, twenty sixteen at his sort of populist peak. Elon is a fan of Hobber Malay. Elon is an anarcho capitalist. Elon is a fan of Curtis Jarvin, who thinks that we should have literal techno feudalism. I know this sounds crazy, but Elon is a dramatic He is an hardened ideological actor. So what does it mean if you're an an arco capitalist if you believe in this like techno feudalist project. I mean, he thinks he should basically run as a CEO the you know, the country, the government, the world. Really I think that is his I know it sounds crazy, but that is his project. And you can listen to the way he talks about these things. I mean, his grand plans to like, you know, have a civilization on Mars and all of these sorts of things. So if that's your ideology and that's your goal, what you want to do is completely take apart the federal government. And you hear this not just an Elon's rhetic, but you also hear echoed now in Trump's rhetoric, who talks about how his goal is for all federal government and plployees to be private sector employees. That's anarcho capitalism. That means even the parts of the state that you like, the pieces that deliver for Grandma and Social Security, Medicare Medica, all of that he wants to take an axe too. Elon has told friends that his entire metric is just how much I can cut now, not how much of the you know, the fad and the fraud and the abuse and the parts that everybody would be like, okay, fine, yes, cut that piece. He measures his success by just how much of the federal government can he take an acts too? Now, do I think that he is going to be able to realize his anarcho capitalist no state whatsoever dream No. I think at some point the state is going to reassert themselves. You know, Trump still has control of the military, for example, At any point he could get sick of Elon and say all right, we're done, you're out, go by. But do I think a lot of damage could be done in the meantime, Yes, absolutely. And I also and this is where you know, I want to come back a little bit to what we were saying yesterday and perhaps make a more persuasive argument about what I mean when I say people didn't vote for this, I'm not saying they didn't vote for like, you know, cutting some waste, fraud, abuse, et cetera, et cetera. But the trumpest ideology, which is really like the Steve Bannon like that's the og maga ideology that was what was sold to people.
Speaker 4: And this is not that, right.
Speaker 2: This is not the political project that you're This is not populous, right, this is the political project you've been engaged in. This is something else entirely. Trump seems to have bought into it, and seems to have given Inlan for now the keys to the kingdom to do whatever he wants up to and including dismantling entire federal government agencies, accessing whatever classified information he wants to, accessing your Social Security numbers and private data, accessing the system the Treasury payment system, which controls all of the money that goes out from the federal government. So if you imagine, like, you know, it's like if Fort Knox actually held all of the like taxpayer dollars in gold and whatever.
Speaker 4: The richest man on the planet.
Speaker 2: Who has incredible conflicts of interest and a really radical ideology now has keys to that, you know, theoretical Fort Knox.
Speaker 4: That's where we are right now.
Speaker 2: And that's why I find it so deeply, deeply disturbing. And why even though this is you're right about usaid not being the best ground for Democrats to fight on, why I think they feel like, all right, well, we got to do something.
Speaker 3: I get where they're coming from. Yeah, but this is part of the problem, and this is where honesty is important. Not even Steve Bannon would tell you that he's in control of the federal government. Right the Bannon Is twenty sixteen vision was almost immediately clarified.
Speaker 2: Not even Steve Bannon would say that, who's his ideology?
Speaker 1: Twenty sixteen vision, right, I mean, what's that you want to see? Unknown?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Part of the problem for a lot of the people who share my beliefs is, let's look at the track record Trump in twenty seventeen to twenty twenty one governs effectively, is like what cultural right warrior with George W.
Speaker 1: Bush flavor?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, he comes forty thousand votes away from winning the presidency. Then over the interm four years assembles a coalition effectively of people who hate Biden, and within that there's not a lot being sold there except for no more illegal immigration. The rest of it is really up for grabs. And so part of the new coalition quote unquote of the people who signed up for Trump, I do think it does include some do Now. Look, I hope that some of it is for the stuff that I've said here, but I have to be honest. I mean, tariffs are overwhelmingly unpopular. We're going to talk about that. People like cheap shit.
Speaker 1: They don't care if their TikTok comes from China or whatever. They want to eat.
Speaker 3: They want to live like a pretty basic life, and they don't really want to think much about bigger things. Now, I think it's incumbent on the FEDS and on leaders like Trump and JAD to make their case as to why they're important. But you know, it's tough in a country like this where debt and all that is very, very high, where I do think they eat, you know, the doze of the USAID, the Department of Education. There is a feeling within the intellectual and I think within the suburban right of things have gotten out of control now. I think with the USADA, it's actually literally not disputable that the agency has been involved in insane fraud CIA, who's basically a front for state Department for soft power, you know, and all that if you want to call it funneling money is money laundering to NGOs. But even you know, you're talking about the Department of Education, So you're not wrong. People support Headstart, people support you know, federal dollars.
Speaker 1: Coming into schools.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think the majority of schools are funded by the FEDS. I think it's like twenty something percent, right, it's about ten. Depends on the individual school distracts.
Speaker 2: Yes, and poor school districts rely more on federal funding, so they would be the ones that would be more impacted overall, it's about ten percent of funding that comes from federal So but.
Speaker 3: Where does the MAGA does instinct to say screw the doe. It's not just libertarian, right, it's well, let's be honest, it's about a lot of dei or trands.
Speaker 1: You know, what was it, Title nine.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it's called that went through in terms of gender pronouns. That's where the instinct has now come from, is like, these institutions have been used for good purposes but turned against us, So we're going to dismantle them. And if it does stick to that, as long as the dollars keep flowing, will people really notice at the end of the day. My instinct is probably not, and it's probably going.
Speaker 1: To be popular.
Speaker 3: I mean, and if you told it to me that way, and you're like, look, we're gonna get rid of this gender DEI stuff and all these bureaucrats and nobody really knows what they do, and the dollars and the checks keep getting cut to all the states of like, well, okay, you know you need some administrators.
Speaker 1: That's where the instinct comes from.
Speaker 3: Now I get what you're saying, and I think you're right if they actually impact faa Noah, the oceanic.
Speaker 1: The people who track the hurricanes.
Speaker 3: I always use that example because like, who's against that, you know, the guy who flies into the middle of hurricanes? Like, who's a category of four point five? Now it's awesome, right, it's a cool.
Speaker 1: Job, or coastguard.
Speaker 3: There's a million different little things even that are non DoD They're actually pretty popular.
Speaker 1: That's why they start with USAID. Now.
Speaker 3: I think DOJ in practice is going to look a lot like this is USAID total is point seven Let's say they cut five percent of the you know, zero point seven percent of the federal budget. It's like, Okay, we're going to declare victory. This actually kind of gets to the tariff conversation we're going to have in a little bit about well, what really changed here, you know, in terms of what we want. But vibe wise, that's really important for both the media and for people to feel as if these parts of the federal government are getting paired back as long as they're essential services go to them. And so that's why I think it is a big mistake and I feel rudderless and almost religious the way that the Democrats are reacting here to USAID I mean you and I both know a key tenant of neoliberalism are functions like USAID and others. They're literally admitting this stuff out loud. A normal person at home goes what like, I don't care about Malawi and healthcare.
Speaker 2: I actually think that that is true because I looked at some of the polling on this, and some sixty percent of Americans want the US to.
Speaker 4: Be a global leader in health.
Speaker 2: The pet FAR program, the pet Far program in terms of you know, like dealing with AIDS and HIV global has has been a tremendous success with George W. Bush program, et cetera, et cetera, tremendously popular dealing with malaria.
Speaker 4: I mean, USAID helped.
Speaker 2: To combat ebola, So yes, is it a I mean the whole project of usa ID is soft power projection.
Speaker 4: That is what it is.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing, though, is like a couple pieces just to get to the actual substance with regard to USAID. I mean, first of all, you've got a lot of people on Twitter who didn't know what USAID was three days ago, who suddenly are convinced that it's nothing but cis politics.
Speaker 4: That's number one.
Speaker 2: Number two, I think the notion that subsuming USAID under the State Department is gonna make it less nefarious is kind of preposterous.
Speaker 4: Three.
Speaker 2: Listen, there is also just a key principle here of Congress is if you don't like USA, if you don't like what they're doing, that's fine, have that debate. We have elected representatives. Republicans have control of the House and the Senate, so you have to go through those channels in order to dismantle a congressionally authorized independent agency. That is what the Constitution says. So not to mention, as I said before, you know, I think you really have to keep in mind what the broader project is here from Elon and Trump really has nothing to do with it at this point.
Speaker 4: I think it's.
Speaker 2: Pretty clear at every juncture when Trump could arrange Elon in and said, you know, we backed them on H one b's, he backs them here. He gives them the Air Force secretary he wants like. I don't think Trump really cares that much outside of the areas of his interest tariffs and whatever else, immigration, turning off the water, turning on the water in California, and it is performative stuff like those are the thing he cares about everything else.
Speaker 4: I don't think he really gives a shit.
Speaker 2: You know, Elon's feeding him talking points about South African farmers now, so you know who is in real control. Elon's project is not just about USAID, it's not just about the Department of Education. It's about dismantling as much of the federal government as he possibly can. And so the USAID thing, it's a trial balloon what can we get away with? And that is the way that everyone needs to understand what's going on. So, regardless of how you feel about USAID, I've got my own issues with it. You know, I'm happy to see the imperial project being sort of pulled back in this sort of way. But I'm also not a fool to think that that's really what's going on. When you are talking about an administration that is openly actually embracing an old school imperial mentality a lah William McKinley. Let's buy Greenland, let's invade Panama, let's try to make Canada the fifty first state. Let's go to war with Mexico. I'm not enough of a fool to think that they're actually intentionally rolling back empire. Elon wants to make it so that the federal government is not strong enough, is not stronger than him.
Speaker 4: Right, that's the bottom line.
Speaker 2: He wants to be able to do everything that he wants to do. He wants to be able to profit as much as he can off of your taxpayer dollars. And that is the broader project that is.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with the word that you just said.
Speaker 3: I think what I get to again is trying to analyze how it will look like in practice and to the voter.
Speaker 1: And that's why I come back to this democratic thing.
Speaker 3: I think another problem though, where you're talking about, you know, institutions, is so many norms and other things have not only been blown up by Trump, but over the years what I have seen more.
Speaker 1: Is we talked about this a little bit yesterday, right with.
Speaker 3: Norms with for example, I mean, how many times have I listened to David Serota and others criticized Biden for not legalizing weed on day one, for not canceling all.
Speaker 4: I mean, but they don't care about can do.
Speaker 3: That, Crystal care about but they don't care about Congress whenever it's about something they want to do.
Speaker 1: When Obama wants.
Speaker 3: To legalize millions of illegal immigrants literally overnight and create an amnesty illegal program called DAKA.
Speaker 1: Oh everybody's fine with it then, right.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of hypocrisy here in terms of like which principles.
Speaker 2: Which it's just way above and beyond like overruling the parliament.
Speaker 1: But it's about Prince No. No, I agree.
Speaker 3: I think we're living through the most extraordinary takeover the federal government since the one hundred Days over FDR. And if we look back to that time period, and I know many of the people who have read the same books that I have, is what did FDR learn. FDR said, I don't give a shit about Congress, and I don't give a shit about the Supreme Court, Civilian Conservation Corps WPA.
Speaker 1: We are going to throw everything at the wall.
Speaker 3: And actually the people who paired it back became way less popular, people hated.
Speaker 4: But those Supreme Court did passed through Congress.
Speaker 3: No, but actually many of them either were passed through Congress or were created artificially by his programs. I mean, many of the criticisms of the Republicans of FDR in that time period rhyme exactly here, Like hey, what about the power of the person. He's like, I'm a king, I just got elected with this and this not the same. But the spirit is the thing is is that if you look back at that time period, the population overwhelmingly backed aggressive federal executive action. I think what's happening here is I mean, Jarvin himself is a student of FDR, probably more so than anybody else in that project, and what they understood is that at a popular level, by doing this, they were basically able to win ninety almost eighty percent of what they wanted to and that the norms and all of that were fake all along.
Speaker 2: So, first of all, I don't accept the equivalence between what is being done here and like the lawlessness that is being ok it's executed here in the total disregard for the Constitution versus FDR, but in just to make the coint on the on the popular piece, which I don't think so is important because it matters in terms of how people are going to react to this. You know, FDR was like creating jobs and healthcare programs and things that were delivering for people materially.
Speaker 4: This is the opposite of that.
Speaker 2: This is destroying things that people currently enjoy and take for granted from the federal government. That's the program, that's the project. So again in theory, in the abstract, do people support cutting the federal government but of course sure, of course. Do they support rolling back free school lunch for poor kids? No, probably eighty five percent of the country would say no to that. Do they support rolling back pelgrants also under the Department of Education, No, they do not support that. Do they support rolling back federal funding for poor district or any school district. I mean, one of the cautionary tales I think that people should look at is back during the teacher strike.
Speaker 4: Wave which hit red states.
Speaker 2: Red states in particular, rural red areas take public education seriously. And I think you're right that there is you know, there was a reaction against like this sense, oh my god, my kids are being indoctrinated, blah blah blah. But if you go after people's school districts in those towns, those are institutions of small town America, you will have a fight on your hands. So with usaid, I do think, you know, I don't think it's as popular as you do, but I do think it is the most low hanging fruit, which is exactly why they went after it first. But if you think that this project doesn't have in its sites things that you or you or anyone out there appreciates and enjoys and takes for granted, oh, food safety, hurricane tracking, planes not crashing into each other and falling out of the sky, medicare, social security, You're a fool. So the question is when will this be rained in? How far does it go? I'll go ahead and play. Since we've been teasing it for like eighteen minutes now, the Democrats finally showed up.
Speaker 4: You know that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they've been up to, but not a whole lot. But they finally showed up at the USAID building to protest the fact that it has been shuttered you. I'll give you some more of the details here in just a minute. About you know, the employees have been told not to show up at the AGE at the headquarters today. They've been told not to show up. But any of the USAID buildings, people who are overseas right now have been blocked access from their government security apps and from their communications, et cetera. So Democrats showed up there to make a stand, not always in the most effective way. Let's take a listen to how that went down.
Speaker 8: USAID fights terrorist groups all across this world, making sure that we address the underlying causes for a retreat to terrorism. USAID chases China all around the world, making sure that China doesn't monopolize contracts for critical minerals, important infrastructure all around the world. It supports freedom fighters every where in this world.
Speaker 9: We are witnessing a constitutional crisis. We talked about Trump wanting to be a dictator on day one, and here we are. This is what the beginning of dictatorship looks like.
Speaker 2: And Elon, if you want to run AID, get nominated by Trump and go to the Senate and good luck and getting confirmed.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Elon Musk, you didn't create USAID. The United States Congress did for the American people. And sos like Elon Musk did not create USAID. He doesn't have the power to destroy it. And who's gonna stop him. We are, We're gonna stop him.
Speaker 11: Elon Musk, you may have illegally seized power over the financial payment systems of the United States Department of Treasury, but you don't control the money of the American people.
Speaker 10: The United States Congress does that.
Speaker 2: So the funniest one there, of course, Chris Murphy at the beginning. That is the COI part out loudah Mi like, hey, Chris, freedom fighters.
Speaker 1: We're not supposed to say that fights terrorist. I mean, which freedom?
Speaker 4: What was that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I mean this is this is the first thing that they've really showed up to. I mean somewhat the Medicaid portals being shut down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was over so quickly.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's that's right.
Speaker 2: But you know, they pushed back there, and I think there was Republican pushback there too, behind the scenes, no doubt about it. That helped get that, you know, flipped on a dime. But they are finally trying to show up for this, and yeah, not not making the best arguments, but I think a lot of Democratic base voters will be happy to see at least they're doing something worse.
Speaker 4: So far, they've been just like asleep.
Speaker 1: I think you might be right. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean when I look at that, I just see a supreme lack of political talent across the board.
Speaker 2: I'm just like I thought Illan's comments there were probably the right.
Speaker 3: The problem again is that you always have to be able to connect rhetoric to actual action, telling people like, I mean, what we really learn from the campaign against Trump?
Speaker 1: I learned a lot from the twenty twenty four campaign.
Speaker 3: But really what it was is like you can warn all day long, and if people don't like the status quo, they do not care about a lot of this, they need to feel it for real and for right now.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: That's why I was saying, it's kind of genius to start with USAID, a program that you know, only people in Washington care about, mostly because it's paying a lot of their salaries, but also it's just one of those where if he's explained it to a normal person, you made a compelling case about pelgrants and all of that, you know, we'd if your doge, what do you do? Or if Trump really, let's put dose because they probably would cut it. But if you're Trump, you're like, don't touch don't touch pelgrants, scholarship, don't touch federal stuff. Fire all the you know, career bureaucrats or whatever that are working on anything Title nine or ten or whatever related, and you know, will anybody really notice? Probably not, And like that's kind of what it gets to in the FDR thing, what's fascinating about this.
Speaker 1: This is a reverse FDR.
Speaker 3: It's a dismantling of as opposed to a building up. But in a sense, what's happened in both cases is that the crisis of nineteen thirty three was this idea that the government was not there to address all of these problems, whereas the crisis of I guess twenty twenty four in the minds of many Americans, so that the government itself has created many of these problems, or at least intellectualized the way that in practice, if we are to blame, we're talking about cultural issues or even you know, immigration literally just a result of direct government policy. It's about a rolling back of like a regime slash a government. So I think this is nothing ever is you know, one hundred percent one to one, But analogy wise, it's the only thing I can really think of, maybe the John F.
Speaker 1: Kennedy first one hundred days.
Speaker 3: I hope we don't don't find ourselves a similar international crisis, although I am worried about it, but that's kind of my mental model for how I'm thinking about it. And there is a big question mark that remains around how people will popularly receive a lot of this. I don't take a lot of these polls at face value. Just kind of been all over the place. Someone yesterday said Trump but fifty two percent. I saw the same tracking poll you're talking about. I'm curious to see the Virginia election, that gubernatorial election, which is always off here in terms of what does it mean for enthused Democratics.
Speaker 4: Well, we already had a little test run in Iowa.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 4: There was a twenty one point swing.
Speaker 2: But you know, that's the first indication that we've gotten that even as the Democratic Party has been asleep, the Democratic base voters in that district in Iowa really showed up. I mean it was like a twenty plus point swing in the direction of a Democrat for them to win. There was another special election in a Democratic blue district in Minnesota. I want to say that also shifted even more. Who was like the Republican got like eight percent of the vote or something prepostors like that, whereas previously they were getting I don't know, twenty percent of the vote.
Speaker 4: I'm making up these numbers with us approximately what it is.
Speaker 2: So you're right, that will be the first really indication and test case but I think where there's a huge vulnerability here that Democrats can exploit if they're willing to, you know, not do their whole Like good billionaires, bad billionaires stick. But nobody wants the government run by an unelected billionaire. I mean, you pull that it's dramatically, dramatically unpopular, and especially when it's so clear that he's running it for his own ideology and self interested reasons. Like I think the reaction against you're right in a sense. I think if I were advising the Democratic Party, I would focus more on the treasury takeover and some of those things which are way more you know, to me, are like the core of what's really frightening about what is being done here. And it's also I think there's a bunch of lawsuits filed already against Elon and his acolytes and like the violation of privacy laws and other laws that have likely occurred here, not to mention the violation of just like the separation of powers. And by the way, Eline you weren't elected anything that are going to go forward, but you know, you're in this situation where it's like the courts are slow, so even if they issue an injunction. That's going to take some time, and then there's a question like are they going to listen?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I kind of doubt it given how they've operated thus far. Weard's just like, we want to do it, so we're going to do it ultimately, you know. I mean Elon is already clearly if he's a special government employees, already clearly violated like the criminal statue with regard to conflicts of interest, and it doesn't seem to really matter. So that's why I think this is, you know, can accurately be described as constitutional crisis and beyond because they are clearly violating the constitution, the separation of power, the power of the purse, et cetera, and the system is just totally unable to deal with it, to catch up, to handle the speed that this is all unfolding out, which is I shocked everyone, I think, including according to the reporting people in the Trump White House or like, what.
Speaker 4: The hell is going on here? And they're not read in on it either.
Speaker 3: I think that's where the big democratic check will come into is, let's say we do start going after pel grants or whatever. Trump's gonna be like, Yeah, I'm not dealing with all. I still think there is an existential ricks actually to Elon of getting Steve Bannon.
Speaker 1: And you know, remember the whole.
Speaker 3: Sloppy Steve saga of two thousand and seventeen. If he causes a genuine political crisis for the Trump White House, which is eminently possible, he will have his ass out of there.
Speaker 1: In NOTEB well.
Speaker 2: And I think Bannon is correct to understand my Bannon's ideology is not my ideology, although you know there are.
Speaker 4: More shared overlap.
Speaker 2: There's more overlap between my ideology and Bannon's than I have no overlap with Elon musk ideology of just like burned down the whole federal government and let the corporate overlords rule everything like God kings.
Speaker 4: That is the polar opposite of my ideology.
Speaker 2: Bannon is right to see this as an existential threat to his own project and ideology will and I think this will come up more when we talk about I mean tariff somewhat, but even more so, the gutting of the National Labor Relations Board, the gutting of the SEC, the gutting of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, because you know, Bannon likes le Na Khan he thinks corporate power should be checked. That's the polar opposite of what Elon thinks. And so here you are. If you're a part of the populist right project. You got your JD Vance in there, You've got your guy Trump, who has at least said some of the right things and done some of the right things in the past. You like, this is your moment, and now you've got this billionaire who's just hijacked the whole thing and is running as fast as he can and the total opposite direction with no one, with no one putting a check into place. So I think this is you know, obviously, none of this is like I find this all to be horrifying and I'm struggling to like wrap my head around how bad things could actually get. But if you are also on the populist right, I think you should also perceive this as an existential chance threat to your project, which is has its best moment of potential success right now and is being evaporating like before our eyes.
Speaker 1: I think they do, But I also think they know who the king is at the moment. You're going to have to wait for a while.
Speaker 4: To be able for an opening.
Speaker 3: Strike because I mean, look, you know, nobody else paid a quarter bill to get Trump elected.
Speaker 1: Trump takes that pretty seriously. So do a lot of the people in the government right now.
Speaker 2: I mean, Trump is not id a lot. That's the thing is he never gave a shit about any of this.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, and I've always been pretty honest about it.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 1: You yeah, many people, many people do.
Speaker 3: And there's also look, there's an element of political realism for a lot of this, where are like, yeah, look, you know, as long as we get mass deportation, maybe we can live with some of this. That's kind of the thinking and the talk that I've heard from others. But I think there will be some big fights ahead.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Another thing I was thinking about yesterday, even though it feels like eternity, it's been two weeks, it's like and it's one of those where in the long cycle of all of these presidencies and Biden, Biden did not go negative until October twenty twenty one. That was nine months right where he basically was in a positive territory. Yeah, although when someone asked me five years from now, what do you remember about the Biden presidency, be like, oh, people hated him but what the truth is, it's like the first nine months kind of honeymoon.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know why people liked because they did a lot of federal government action, like to materially benefit people. I mean, that was the most popular stuff that he did was at the beginning when checks were going out and there was you know, a huge COVID relief program.
Speaker 4: That's when he was most popular.
Speaker 2: And then the two things that killed him forst Afghanistan, which I hate to admit, but that's the reality obviously, and he never recovered from that, and then inflation, inflation murdered and that was you know, and that was it. So I mean, that's the complete polar opposite direction of what's being done here. That was a building up of government. I mean, I wouldn't call it FDR, but it was a break from the neoliberal era. It was, you know, an expansion of the social safety net. You know, Trump said the same thing and his administration to deal with COVID as well. And when Biden really became unpopular was also because all of those pieces that had been added to the social safety net are stripped away. So that's why I think, you know, I disagree with you that there's like some mandate, some desire to destroy all the federal government programs because you know, when you ask people, they think that the Pentagon should be cut.
Speaker 4: Which is not going to happen.
Speaker 2: They don't think that programs that benefit Americans should be cut.
Speaker 4: And you know, and I think it is telling.
Speaker 2: That's why they do start with USAID because you can also fit it into this framework of oh, that's where you're you know, we're making it America first, and then once you accomplish that, then you can move on to the things that are more politically difficult and where there may be more popular pushbacks.
Speaker 1: Just put a bow on it.
Speaker 3: I don't think that there's ever a mandate to strip the federal government all agency. I would equate it to if you ever worked in a company and there's a bunch of hr people who have a ton of power but who don't do anything, who everybody hates. I always see it as the mandate is strip that a way, whether it's reality or not, the feeling as if they're doing nothing and they're actually making operations here more difficult in practice, that's what I think basically will materialize. As opposed to cutting any critical function now I'm not going to lie. You know, this whole move fast and Brave things ideology very much could move in the other direction.
Speaker 2: I mean, it nearly bankrupted Tesla. We've seen what did did too.
Speaker 6: But it's work.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is the problem. The Peter Thiele quote comes to mind.
Speaker 3: It's like, you look financially, should you ever bet against him?
Speaker 1: Probably not.
Speaker 2: I mean, the government is not a business, though, I mean, that's the thing is if well, first of all, i mean, if you look at the management of Twitter, it's been a catastrophe, both in terms of the functioning of the product and the profitability of the product, et cetera. You know, it's been that has been a total and complete disaster. But also, and we've talked about this before that I know you agree with part of this, Like the way you run a business, and the consequences of a business cutting too deeply and you know, having an off quarter in terms of their earnings or whatever, profoundly different than cutting too deeply at the federal government and people die, or kids don't have their head start, or checks don't go out, or the government defaults, like those are the sorts of things that that's the way Elon operates, Right, he comes in, he cuts massively, like not, oh, in this area, we have a little fat no blanket across the board. He causes a near catastrophe and then tries to rebuild from the ashes, like that's the way he operates. That's the way he's operating the federal government. And I know there's this instinct of like, oh, we should run the government like a business. The government should not be run like a business, because businesses it's all just about profit for the shareholders. The government is about providing critical, at times life saving programs and resources to the population. Not to mention, of course, what overarches all of this and why everyone should be disturbed by it is like, if you happen to like Elon, substitute George Soros or Bill Gates or whatever billionaire you don't like. We shouldn't have an unelected billionaire appointing himself king and just operating carte blanche, cutting whatever programs he happens not to like, whatever agencies he happens not to like, or has like a personal grievance.
Speaker 4: With or whatever.
Speaker 2: That is the end of the project that we have known as America for the past several hundred years like that is the end of that if we end up in a situation where one unelected billionaire can just appoint himself king and operate with impunity.
Speaker 4: And let's just last piece here.
Speaker 2: We can put the last element guys up on the screen and then we can transition in toto. Talking about tariffs a little bit does fit in with all of this as well. But there have been I think now four different lawsuits that have been filed. This one was filed by I know AFL, Cio SCIU and a couple other groups together. They're specifically going after Doge's access to the Treasury Department's payment system. They say that it violates the Privacy Act of nineteen seventy four and other IRS statutes. As I said, I think there are three other lawsuits at least that have been filed in federal courts at this point, so we'll see. I think the next couple pieces are what do the courts do? How does elon and how did Trump? How do they react to any negative court decisions? And then the other piece, just to flag, which Mattagleci is actually flagged on Twitter, is there's a big funding fight. We're about to hit the debt ceiling in mid March. And you know, now you got Elon in charge of the treasury payment system or acts.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't say in charge access to.
Speaker 3: The treasure only access according to the White Yes, I don't actually you know what that means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but anyway, access to the charger of payments system and whatever else he wants access to. How Democrats are thinking that that's going to be a place where they can exert some pressure and try to rein in what's happening here. How does that fight go down? Do they just say, oh, no, we're just going to pay the things we want to pay and that support our you know, ideological ends, and not pay the things that don't be fair.
Speaker 1: That are basically what the Obama administration and them did.
Speaker 4: With the extraordinary measures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what extraordinary measures are. So I mean, but at a certain points Trump does run the government like he is the president of the United States. So when a shutdown, you can decide what you want to pay for or not.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it's good on anything, but and you're right, we should prepare people for that.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that is the next the next The next piece is, Okay, what happens with the courts, how do they respond to the courts? And what happens with the dead ceiling showdown?
Speaker 3: All right, let's get to Tariff's a dizzying day yesterday in Washington as the news rolled in.
Speaker 1: Are the tariffs on? Are they off? What's happening?
Speaker 3: Let's go and put this up there on the screen. Trump's truth social I just spoke with President Claudia Shinbaum of Mexico.
Speaker 1: Was a friendly conversation.
Speaker 3: She agreed to immediately supply ten thousand Mexican soldiers on the border separating Mexico in the United States. These soldiers will be specifically designated to stop the flow of fentanol and illegal migrants into our country. We further agreed to immediately.
Speaker 1: Pause the anticipated tariffs for a one month period, during which we'll.
Speaker 3: Have negotiations headed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio. I look forward to participating in those negotiations. Mexico confirmed this news. Claudia Shinebaum, let's go and put that on the screen. Put out actually broke the news first. Justin Trudeau similarly said, I just had a good call with President Trump. Canada is implementing our one point three billion dollar border plan, reinforcing the border with new choppers, technology and personnel, enhanced coordination. Nearly ten thousand frontline soldiers our personnel are and will be working on protecting the border. In addition, Canada is making commitments to a point of fentanyl z are. We will list cartels, terrorists, ensure twenty four to seven eyes on the border, launch a Canada US joint strike force to combat organized crime, fentanyl and money laundering. I have also signed a new intelligence directive that we will be backing with two hundred million dollars. Proposed tariffs will be paused for at least thirty days while we work together.
Speaker 1: So there's been.
Speaker 2: Once your point is our problem, basically you're done over.
Speaker 3: It's a big question as to what happened here, whether this was the plan all along. Many people are pointing out the fact that much of this actually existed already. So, for example, put B three up on the screen, Joe Biden. Under the Biden administration, Mexico had apparently sent some fifteen thousand troops to the border. It's unclear whether there's going to be an additional ten thousand here, bringing the total to twenty five thousand. Similarly, in Canada, it appeared that some of these initiatives are already on the books on January thirteenth, before Trump even took office. So I don't know, I mean, whether this is symbolic or not in terms of the Trump demands. I mean, the fundamental difference, I guess comes down to both the leverage, the power used and the interim thirty day period, as in, well, if we don't like the results, that we're going to change things, so fundamentally, that's what I would say. The overall difference is. But the tariffs are offered now for the next thirty days S and P.
Speaker 1: Five hundred. As of this morning, let's.
Speaker 3: See, it is up by point one four percent, even with the China tariffs.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the markets were a little I mean, they were a little royal.
Speaker 3: They actually didn't expect as bad. They didn't, well, I guess the act as badly as I thought.
Speaker 4: I think they kind of assumed this is what was I was going to say.
Speaker 3: So what if there is the rational market hypothesis that they were correct, that the tariffs itself were never going to happen, Maybe we should reconsider.
Speaker 7: That, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just, I guess still a little confused about what these tariffs are supposed to be about in the first place, because the way I understood it and the way you I think accurately explained it yesterday is like, well, they're really about economics, but you have to put this bullshit layer of it's about fentanyl on top, even though like no infentional comes from Canada. Basically it's very small percentage, right, one percent. But then all the quote unquote concessions, even if we grant that their concessions are about sens at all, they're not about economics. And Trump previously had been saying, you know, the only way Canada can fly is if they become a fifty first staid or if our trade deficit becomes zero and is balanced down. But then you know what he gets in exchange for this is, oh, we're going to appoint the fentanels are and keep the troops on the border that are already there. So you know, we're about to talk about the popularity of terrorists such as something that you've been talking about.
Speaker 4: And I actually think.
Speaker 2: That a tariff regime could be popular even if it did require, you know, some pain, as Trump floated that there would be as a result of these things. But just as you know, we're about to talk to Matt Stoller about this, already record of the conversation.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm previewing this.
Speaker 2: But you know, just as Biden failed to enlist people in the like Anti trust project and you know, a National Relations Board and the CFPB, there has to be a story that people understand of why they're sacrificing, why they're experiencing this pain. And right now there you know, there is no real It's all over the place.
Speaker 4: It makes no sense. Why Canada, Why.
Speaker 2: Are you putting higher tariffs in theory on Canada than you are on China?
Speaker 4: Like what is Canada done wrong?
Speaker 2: So you know, I think that's part of the thing here is if you want to make this about bringing back American manufacturing jobs, reindustrializing the industrial Midwest, I think there's a chance that you could enlist the American people in that project. But number one, I don't think that most of these tariffs accomplish that goal. And number two, I think the story about them is deeply confused.
Speaker 4: Contradictory tarifs are a tool.
Speaker 3: I mean look, I in principle, I'm like, great, you know, twenty five thousand more troops of the border.
Speaker 7: Great.
Speaker 3: Having leverage over our allies to and Mexico very questionable. But it's one of those where like you said, look, I believe in the story. I believe in the tariffs. I believe in bringing back a lot of this manufacturing. And so if this is all it takes in order to basically get you to call them off, I don't know. I mean, is it going to be a fundamental difference. Maybe, you know, I guess it's an open question as to that. I think the reason I was excited about them, the reason I like the idea of even threatening, is I fundamentally believe in using American assistance, power and the economy to achieve ends that are good for our people. Now, the American people have voted for Donald D. Trump on a message of immigration threatening the Mexican economy, which is eighty percent exports to the United States if they don't help us out more on that is, in principle a thing I think is fantastic. I think it's good to be able to get them to either send troops there and to have a one month cliff falling over their head, where it's like, hey, guys, the guillotine's going to fall if you don't get your act together.
Speaker 1: All I totally support.
Speaker 3: But the problem is is that with this the way it's currently is, it runs the risk of what you're saying of not falling into this broader national project. Now, the China tariffs, for example, luckily at least in my opinion, have gone into place, and I hope and we're about to talk, as you said with Stoller about the Deminimus exception and more of which I really am praying and hoping that they close it just because of the impact it's had on our overall economy. But when there's not the lacks explanation, when the lacks coherent vision, that's when you risk blowback. And in the event that these tariffs ever do go into power, we perhaps could see that.
Speaker 1: So we had to want to speak for Harry Eton.
Speaker 4: One more thing and then we'll get Harry Inton.
Speaker 2: There is also a risk here that I think we already see playing out, and maybe you know, honestly from my ideological perspective, it's kind of a silver lining. But because all of this, you know, threat I'm going to threaten Columbia, a threatened Mexican front Canada for some reason, because this is all being done and even after you know, Canada had already announced this one point three billion dollar package and enforce in anticipation of Trump coming in to try to please him. In advance, Mexico had done a very similar thing with Claudia Scheinbaum, massively increasing the number of raids. The amount of fentanyl that was being seized at the border dropped to some of the lowest levels in years. So they felt like, Okay, we're doing the things he wants us to do, and still they end up in this situation of you know, being bullied and threatened and you know, put jubbed into crisis and all of this sort of stuff. So you already see European leaders talking the Financial Times, for example, saying, you know, we no longer see really China as the.
Speaker 4: Greatest rust to us.
Speaker 2: We actually think that it's these guys over here, and maybe we need to form a sort of anti American alliance because individually we have no chance. And Trump is floating tariffs against the EU as you know as well, and so you know that's the other piece, is you are sort of aligning, forcing the world's hand, accelerating a shift that was already happening. Now, from my perspective, that may not be the worst thing in the world, but if you're interested in American power and empire, this is definitely counter to that particular political project.
Speaker 3: I actually don't agree. I'll tell you why. Which is Okay, Mexico, what are you going to do? Eighty percent of your economy or exports rely on us. You ain't going nowhere? Okay, who are you going to sell to Canada? Geography matter. Seventy four percent of your exports come into the United States. They were floating, Oh, maybe we should join the European Union. Yeah, good luck. Same thing in terms of the Europeans. Oh maybe we'll rely on China. Oh, China is going to give you they're nuclear umbrella and they're going to protect you from all of your problems so that you guys can have universal health care. But you don't actually defend yourselves and these giant social welfare states. So let's get real too about how long it's taken seventy five years of integration for the European Union and for the European economies in the United States. It's taken two hundred years now of Canada and Mexico. They are going nowhere, maybe Africa, India, China, South Korea, Japan. Those are the countries I worry much more about. But these people nothing, I mean, no matter what, they will be heavily reliant on the effectively client stays. I mean, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: The problem is that they don't like that.
Speaker 3: I like reminding them of some of that, especially whenever it comes to the border, and the border alone is certainly justification for hitting them with tariffs or threatening tariffs if we want to. I would like, though, to see a return to some of what we talked about previously yesterday about manufacturing and about the fact that NAFTA itself had decimated a huge part of our manufacturing sector. The way that these automakers currently operate, where a single part will cross like forty or fifty times the Canadian the Mexican border, It'll cross three separate borders like multiple times before it ever even makes its way into a car, and then oh it's called American made. There's still a lot of deficits in the USMCA, so I had thought it was an opening on USMC, and I mean, I guess it certainly could be in terms of setting the ground for what that looks like, but for right now seems seems to be wrapped up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't really know what else to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welt and we'll see what happens a month from now and we go back to this when we see this rodeo play on again. By the way, I should mention there were people floating also that. I mean, you got a bunch of billionaire like I mean, the Treasury secretary is a billionaire hedge fun guy, George Soros buddy, and wondering if there is also some profiting going on over these manufactured market drops and recoveries something.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're talking about the Soros finance, like a four x trade. That's actually pretty interesting. I wonder if they're if any got people, you know, people flag any trades because these are all.
Speaker 1: Public, right.
Speaker 2: If you're you know, if you're the Treasury secretary and you know what Trump's basic plan is here, well you're in a position of profit officially.
Speaker 3: Well it wouldn't even be him per se, but at this point with all the guidelines or whatever, but maybe people who used to.
Speaker 2: Work something if we keep going through this cycle, it may be something to keep in mind for the Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the problem.
Speaker 3: You're going to encourage a bunch of retail traders to start doing four x and trying to recreate the shorting of the British.
Speaker 2: I am not encouraging to do any I'm just telling you what others are floating online and something to keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: You might be encouraging me to be.
Speaker 3: I'm like, well, maybe this money we made here, you know, don't make you some phone cult.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not going to go to president.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's get to Harry Nsen, who broke down some of the pulling about how people actually feel about tariffs.
Speaker 12: Let's sayalism Trump's tariffs on Canada, China, Mexico.
Speaker 7: Look at this, just thirty eight percent support.
Speaker 12: You don't have to be a mathematical genius to figure out that fifty one percent oppose is larger than the thirty.
Speaker 7: Eight percent support. Look.
Speaker 12: Trump has done some fairly popular things in his first few weeks in office.
Speaker 7: This is not one of them.
Speaker 12: No, no, no, horrible, horrible, horrible. To quote Charles Barkley, the American folks are opposed to these tariffs. When you ask it specifically like this about the three countries, or if you ask it more vaguely about tariff's overall, they simply put do not like it, mister.
Speaker 13: Interesting, even with China in the question, people say that they are opposed to tariff's.
Speaker 1: The majority here, and there's not a majority on a lot of things these days.
Speaker 12: The two big focuses for Trump in the polling our immigration and the economy tariffs.
Speaker 7: Ain't it, my dear friend, tariff's. Ain't it? Trump should focus on tariffs.
Speaker 12: In November of twenty twenty four, when IPSOS asked that it was one percent, look.
Speaker 7: At what happened to December of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 12: It doubled. It doubled, but to only two percent. When you double to only two percent, you know that the American people don't want Trump's.
Speaker 7: Focus to be here.
Speaker 12: They don't like it. They don't want his focus to be there. They want it to be on other issues. You know, Trump has done a lot of things that are unpopular in the past, but the poll numbers haven't moved. That may be the case here, but I'm a little skeptical of that. Why take a look at weekly Google searches for Terras. Look how much higher they are versus a year ago. They're twenty four hundred percent.
Speaker 7: That reach is a twenty one year high.
Speaker 12: You know, folks are paying attention when there are more Google searches for that than for Taylor Swift, who almost always is in the top.
Speaker 7: Of Google search.
Speaker 4: Till we caught people's attention, but not necessarily in a good way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, we'll see.
Speaker 4: What do you make of that.
Speaker 2: I just going back to what I was saying before. I just looked it up. The original China Terrors that he put on in his first administration were in initially somewhat underwater, and they became more popular, absolutely, and they became majority, you know, in favor, which is why also you see the Democrats that dropped it a similar position. Biden continues that and does industrial policy, and I think it fits with what we were saying, Like people understand, okay, a lot of our jobs, you know, a lot of these industrial factory towns, a lot of the jobs left and are now in China, and so it was a very easily comprehensible story around this is why we're doing this now.
Speaker 4: You can still disagree with them.
Speaker 2: I don't think they you know, they didn't do much in terms of accomplishing their goal of restoring They needed to be paired with industrial policy. There were issues there, but people understood the story of what it was about. And I think we're even willing to, you know, have a more expensive washing machine or whatever.
Speaker 1: Not only that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, all of the doom and gloom was fake. You know, we had hundreds of billions of dollars in tariffs. I think the S and P five hundred was up by like twenty five percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now they did have to like basically bail out the farmers because of the retaliatory terrorists. So it's not like there was no impact, but address the address the problem right exactly. But it is interesting to me that there does seem to be some I mean, there's almost like a nuanced view of tariffs among the American public where, Yeah, when it was China and we understood this, okay, we could go along with that, but when you're talking about Canada, Mexico, and this doesn't make any sense, and why are they being tariff more than China, and it's just across the board, and why should avocados be have a tariff, then yeah, you're not going to have people like lining up to pay more at the grocery store, more for their cars or whatever.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see how it all comes into practice for the next thirty days. We all have a stay. Okay, let's get to mass Doolar. Joining us now is Matt Stoler. He is the author of the Big Newsletter. Great friend of the show. It's good to see you, sir, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: So you just wrote this. Let's go and put this up there on the screen. What did Trump just do on the tariffs? It's very relevant obviously this morning, now that we no longer have China terifts. We don't have Canada, but we do have or sorry Canada tariffs or Mexico, but we do have China.
Speaker 6: I was like, wait, did I know?
Speaker 1: Like I got to look at Twitter, China is here.
Speaker 3: At least for now, we've got ten percent tariffs on China. But there's some big question marks of exactly what's in it. This is obviously falls within something an issue area that you care a lot about. Can you explain a bit to the audience and some of the.
Speaker 13: Importance of this yeah, I mean I so I wore a jacket with plaid to convey authority because this is going to be like very sort of technical.
Speaker 6: I'm going to do my best.
Speaker 13: Sure, So the situation is changing really quickly, so we don't one hundred percent know, but we'll know in a few days maybe. So there's this, uh so he put ten percent tariffs on stuff that's coming in from China, right, and that is you know, there's a lot of industrial machinery and various other things coming in. But what is interesting I think particularly interesting, and I think what a lot of we were just talking about this camera, there's there's a there's a loophole that is more maybe more important than just the raw amount that he put on. And that loophole is called the dominimous Exemption to trade or dominomous loophole under eight hundred dollars. When you bring something in, an individual does not have to have doesn't have to pay duties or tariffs or have that inspected.
Speaker 6: So this was set up.
Speaker 13: If you've ever been abroad and you come back and you bought a sweater or whatever, when you're on the plane and you fill out like they're like DoD you buy anything, right, was it worth more than a certain amount of money? You don't have to get that inspected, You don't have to know the tariff codes. They don't treat you like a commercial importer.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 6: That's what Deminimus is.
Speaker 13: It's intended to let kind of tourists bring in a few things here or there. The problem is in the nineteen nineties, or the dynamic is in the nineteen nineties. What they said is this can be used not just for tourists but for e commerce. Right, And they said, if you are an individual buying through saying like an Amazon or something like that, and they ship you something from China, that can come in and it's less than eight hundred dollars that can come in under this deminimus under the dominimous rules, no inspections, no duties, no tariffs, and it can come in through what's called informal entry, so it doesn't have to have a licensed customs broker, doesn't have to be bonded. Now, there are about a billion, maybe more than a billion packages coming in every year. I think the number is one point four billion, but who's counting from China every year?
Speaker 6: Under the dominimus loophole.
Speaker 13: So this is the basis of the business model of timu of Shane, of Fast Fashion.
Speaker 6: And of Amazon.
Speaker 13: Right, more than fifty percent of third party sellers, which is the majority of their sales, come directly from Chinese sellers.
Speaker 6: Right, So this is you know, kind of crazy. Right.
Speaker 13: So if you're a bicycle producer in this country, you have to compete with bikes coming in duty free, no tariffs, no inspections, so on and so forth. And that is true kind of across the board. Now, what this Tariff Executive Order did is they said that dominimous exemption or that dominis loophole is going on sort of right, so they say, you now have to pay tariffs on any on everything, whether it's you know, twenty dollars or twenty thousand dollars. Okay, But what they haven't been clear on is whether they're going to force the deminimous stuff, stuff that's less than eight hundred dollars to come in through a more formalized entry.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 13: Are they going to make you Are they going to make them put like Amazon or Tim mo Orshane. Are they going to have to use a licensed customs broker? Of you know, bonds, and if they do like it doesn't make sense to let you buy a three dollars T shirt and then you have to do you know, you have to get a licensed customs broker to handle that individual package. It makes more sense to, you know, bring in twenty thousand T shirts or one hundred thousand T shirts, bring them into US warehouse and then do fulfillment from there. And so it's not clear what they're doing with the actual process, but that a tariff on a three dollars T shirt doesn't matter ten percent two cares, right, especially because they're tariffing the whole sell price, so they're more likely tariffing you know, a dollar, right not or thirty cents not the three dollars. So a ten percent tariff on thirty cents is three cents.
Speaker 6: Who cares.
Speaker 13: But if they're saying, all right, you have to change your whole you know, it's just gonna be much more expensive to bring in an individual item. It doesn't matter for a bicycle that's five hundred dollars. It doesn't really matter for a piece of industrial machinery. It does matter for a T shirt or you know, a small you know, pazz spend cord. Right, So that's and that's not There are different versions of that floating around, and we don't actually know what they're going to come down and say, because they're big logistical challenges. If you get rid of the deminimus the tariff, just charging the tariff is not that big a deal, but the logistical question formal versus informal entry, so that I hope I haven't been too technical.
Speaker 3: No, but I think this is important because this is originally what I want to talk about is that these businesses ten. I mean, we've got the super Bowl coming up, right. Do you remember how many TAMU commercials.
Speaker 6: Were in our last job, like a billion?
Speaker 3: Yeah, these things have become massive companies and yeah, anyway, I that's that's why I wanted to talk to you about this.
Speaker 2: You focus on competition, and there's a definitely competition tie in here. How does this disadvantage like small and medium size retailers over you know, gives Amazon and Timu and these like big players a huge leg up?
Speaker 13: Well, I mean, so it's like, if you are making a product here, right, you have to comply with all environmental laws. You can't use slave labor. There's like a bunch of stuff you can't estensibly can't do right, and if you are, you know, we don't have jurisdiction in China or other countries. And but so the way we handle that is through the customs procedure, right, so that you know, you're not allowed to bring in goods and products where they are using certain techniques like human trafficking or whatever. If they don't do any inspections, right, or if they don't do you know, they are not charging tariffs, even if there's a tariff on the books, but they're not charging it, then you can bring all those goods in without any you know, like there's no no, there's no you know, we were just you're just mentioning the nicotine. I didn't actually know about that, but like that was a good example, right where you're competing against companies that don't have to adhere to the same standards that you do in this country.
Speaker 6: And that's that's just unfair. Right.
Speaker 13: So a lot of like the bicycle manufacturers are one of the coalition groups or bike stores, they are one of the groups that actually it's not just manufacturers, it's stores too, right, because if you're importing a bike from China. Right, if you import it directly to an end consumer, it's cheaper than if you bring it to a store and sell it to because the store is going to bring in, you know, one hundred bikes, so they don't get access to the dominimus, the dominus duty free, terra free, so there are It actually just changes the retail environment in the US and makes, you know, harms the little guy in all sorts of different ways. The other part of it that I think is kind of crazy is that you have you know, a billion plus packages coming in, so that's like four million packages every day, and there's a ton of fentanyl in these packages. Right, there's going uninspected and it's brought here by our own post office. Right, So there's a lot of conversations about, oh, there's all this fentanyl coming in from Mexico. Right, That's what a lot of Republicans like to talk about. In Democrats too, but mostly it's a Republican thing. But really what's happening is I mean, let's not say there isn't fentyl coming in from Mexico. But one of the things they say is, well, we haven't, we haven't seized any fentanyl coming in from these packages in China, and so we know it's coming.
Speaker 6: We're seizing a lot from Mexico.
Speaker 13: It's like, well, that's because no one's looking, yes, But when they start to look, and they have started to do some pilot programs, they're finding a ton of fentyl coming in through, you know, the these packages, and so it's a really good idea to actually just start bringing them through through normal customs procedures so that we can apply the same techniques that we use to inspect everything else for this really important.
Speaker 2: How does you know we all watch the inauguration. Jeff Bezos is you know, is Trump's new bud. His wife also was quite a notably there a lot a lot to say about her. You know, how does his influence tie into all of this?
Speaker 13: Well, it's interesting because because this has implications. So the tariffs have implications for Apple as well, because they didn't put an exemption into the iPhone, right, which you know, I was just listening to CNBC and they were they were talking about how this is going to take three percent of Apple's profits, right, because they are you know, what do they do they absorb the extra tariff? Do they raise prices? And annoyed Trump, like, what do they do? They change their supply chains. Someone's got to pay. And this is I think a much bigger deal for Amazon than Apple. But it's a big deal for Apple. It's also actually, weirdly a big deal for Meta because you know, the fast fashioned Chinese groups were spending billions of dollars on advertising. So this is the one where maybe like Google and Microsoft or not actually like super affected by it, but the other three are. And I think it says that these companies have some levels of influence on Trump, particularly on you know, when they're negotiating with foreign countries. If he feels that those foreign countries are trying to regulate American companies, he will he will fight for that.
Speaker 6: But he's not.
Speaker 13: It doesn't look like he's doing explicit favors for these companies yet. And I'll say one other piece, this is not about trade, but yesterday there was an argument having to do with a case against Googles, an anti trust case against Google brought by Epic Games. So not a government case, but the Anti Trust Division because the government can intervene in private cases if they think the state has an interest. The government actually had a lawyer there and argued for you know, basically Google was in the wrong, and you know that is an indication that this the anter Trust Division could have said, you're not doing that anymore. Right, like they've been telling regulators and enforced all of the government, we're totally changing things. They haven't done that with the Anti Trust Division in big tech. So this is a small hint of that. So this is really it's like, I don't know what to think because I see a lot of I'm not I don't trust Trump, I mean candid, I'm a Democrat, I am I'm very skeptical. I see a lot of corporate favoritism. You guys talk about it, but some of these areas like big tech's not getting exactly what they want.