Speaker 1: Wellchi wellgy wellichie.
Speaker 2: Guess who's crawling back.
Speaker 1: They thought they could defeat us, but we are undefeated. It's episode one oh three, and guess what we're talking about the Boston Celtics putting up I would say numbers from another dimension that we are trying to process what is happening with this team and are they going to go.
Speaker 3: All the way?
Speaker 2: And we'll also check in just just trying to ask our office.
Speaker 3: Is too good?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Are they just too good? Yes? Yeah, yeah, please and make the basket smaller for the make the ball like a weird shape so that they can't make it as good.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, And we're gonna be doing all of that with comedian Josh Gondleman on today's episode.
Speaker 3: I'm Miles Gray and I'm Jack O'Brien and.
Speaker 4: This is sorry, look as okay, there.
Speaker 2: You be driving Spinny.
Speaker 3: LNS got up with five? Is gonna try another three?
Speaker 4: Mister hook On, James, be honest, look out show.
Speaker 1: Time, oh man, Josh Gondleman, thank you so much for joining him.
Speaker 3: A Gondan, He's a gondole.
Speaker 4: Job. I'm always telling people that exactly makes sense the way Jay Z says it, but not.
Speaker 3: The way that doesn't work at all.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: For people who don't know, Josh has worked on everything including last week tonight, Missus mays Well, Jesus and Marrow.
Speaker 3: You got a new.
Speaker 1: Comedy special, people Pleaser that's out now, and you're yeah.
Speaker 4: On tour and I'm recording a new special in Brooklyn in June. Yeah, I'm all over the place. I'm all over the country and then walking down this hour in Brooklyn. I'm very excited for our little do I need the home field advantage.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, such a people pleaser. He came back a second time on our podcast. Yeah, and you've taken advantage of it. We're thrilled to have you.
Speaker 2: Last time you were on, I felt like it was in the postseason.
Speaker 1: I think it was in the summer, so we didn't Yeah, we only had a lot of like you know, looking back to do and then a bit for But now we're in the season. What are we about three fourths of the way through now? Yeah, and uh, man, I hate to say this, but I love to see it. I guess your Boston Celtics are freaking me out. They're soaking me out, man, freaking me out.
Speaker 3: The Celtics are in the midst of what is being described as quote, perhaps the most dominant eleven game stretch in NBA history. Yeah, they have the largest point differential over any eleven game stretch in NBA history, seven points better than the next best, which was Bucks team with lou Alsander on it, which I believe that that was around the time they were like, we got to change the rules. Man, this guy is like too good at basketball. So that's like, you guys are better than that team where everyone was like, what were I don't even want to be here anymore? This guy is so good.
Speaker 4: They're like, we're so racist. We need to make dunking Yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly, exactly should we just do that? What do we do here? Yeah? What about that? Like, what do you just pitches? What pitches were for? Rule changes?
Speaker 4: New legal defenses? You can crouch in the paint and push the offensive player over that guy's and.
Speaker 3: That's just hilarious.
Speaker 4: That's just good old, good old fashioned fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't know how how has this felt from inside the head of a Celtics fan.
Speaker 4: I am finally starting to like feel not confident because I never feel confident, like as a person or a sports fan, but I'm starting to feel like comfortable watching these games and enjoying them and being like, oh, it's been since they lost to the Lakers, who had none of their starters playing that I was like, this, they shouldn't have lost this game, right. They lost a couple of close games, but most mostly they were losing occasionally against good teams. And now they're doing the thing that I need to do is just beating most good teams and beating the hell out of bad teams. They've got three fifty point wins this season, which is more than any other team in NBA history.
Speaker 3: Yes, too, that's too many.
Speaker 1: I mean the beating up on the amount of that the Celtics have enfranchise.
Speaker 4: His his history, Yeah, and they have within the last six unths.
Speaker 3: They're beating up on bad teams. But they're also I think our last episode, or maybe it was two episodes ago, but we were talking about how the Warriors were resurgent, yeah and looked really good. Last episode we were talking about how the Celtics are like historically great. So the Celtics what you know those two it was called the Boosties Bowl, you know, the Mad Boostis Bowl. Everyone was like the two teams they talked about in the most recent episode what's gonna happen, Like one of them is gonna have to win, and the Celtics beat them by fifty two points. It was like, not fair. It just seemed unfair. Again. I like back to the nineteen seventy one Bucks. I was like, this, we got to do something here about the rule in this an exhibition charity game.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, in fairness to the Bucks, they didn't have Brandon Pajemski, so like with him playing, it would totally would have been a different game, right, Yeah, completely different, totally different thing. Yeah, but that was I mean I listened to it on the radio. I was baking brownies for a little dinner party and I was listening. Yeah, it was the next time. I actually I listened the whole game on the radio.
Speaker 3: At ESPN Radio dot Com.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I did the local, the NBA l's the local call. So I listened to Mike Gorman and uh, Cedric Maxwell, Sewn Sean Grandy and Centric Maxwell. Like Gorman did TV. He's about to retire. But it was so fun and they were by the third quarter, they were going, well, this is about to turn into a podcast, like they were just saying that we got nothing more to say about this. They were forty four at the half, and I like, I know sometimes for when it is not a team that you're interested in, you know, when you're just like, oh, what game is on Thursday night or Sunday afternoon, and it's a forty point blowed at halftime, You're like, well, I guess I won't watch the second half. And I kept the whole thing on and was just like.
Speaker 3: More har right, yes, yes, of course.
Speaker 4: Through you, which is like twiddling my fingers together, doctor evil, pinky finger to the corner of the lips, just all.
Speaker 3: The rings off the ground, right, Yeah, great, I had a great time. Oh man, that's the best feeling in the world.
Speaker 1: Was what about the expectation, right, because a lot of times we're we're getting closer to the postseason, the Celtics look amazing, and are you You're fully embracing You're like, this is like does it feel different? Are you doing the kind of thing You're like, I don't want to like put too much, you know, expectation on this because I don't want if in case the thing doesn't fall the way I needed to.
Speaker 4: I don't feel you know, I'm not like we're doing it. This is the year. But it does feel different in the last couple of years. It feels like twenty twenty two when they went to the finals, they had a terrible first half of the season, great second half of the season. This season, they've played uniformly pretty well, with a couple bad losses and a couple close losses to good teams and then one real blowout against the Bucks. So it's just like they've they've played uniformly while they're playing better than they have all season right now. And I kind of feel like if you don't let yourself believe at this point, like when do you get to you know, and especially and I understand the answer to that might be when you win the title, right, And if that's your answer, like if you're a Warriors fan or a Raptors fan that one time or whatever, then you can say that. But like, I live around Knicks fans and they'll talk, They'll go up ten in the first quarter and just be like, this is the greatest team of my life life. Yeah, it always a genius in my biological father.
Speaker 3: That's what I was saying last week.
Speaker 1: Jack, my friend who was like, yo, Jalen Brunts is the goat. I was like, that's just how Knicks fans are, like. It's like something like.
Speaker 4: This is it, this is it truly respected so much as someone who has has lived in you. I've lived in New York for about almost thirteen years, and I've like really come to respect and admire the way New Yorkers like anytime there's a glimmer of hope for any of the teams, they're like, this is the year, right, And the Yankees were like straight up bad this year, and the Red Sox were worse, but the Yankees were bad, and people at the beginning were like, yeah, they were just so bad, and then like and they never learn. It's like the next year they'll just be like, this is the.
Speaker 3: Well because they have like a propaganda TV network in MSG and like the Yankee Network. There is a whole television network that only shows wins. It just shows you, like historic victories by the Yankees, so you could just like live there, watch TV and assume the Yankees had never lost a game.
Speaker 4: Truly, like watching like the Vladimir Putin news exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have that for sports in New York it's such an interesting thing. I don't think it like I mean the Lakers like have you know, like there are definitely some Laker biased channels and shows out here, but there's not just like a closed universe where Yankees Yankee Dumb reigns supreme.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because there's also like that happens in Europe too, like Real Madrid and Barcelona to have their own TV channels that are twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: Like Glory Days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some teams are just like that, where they're like, no man. Sometimes when you get stuck in a positive feedback loop forever, which.
Speaker 4: I again I respect because Knicks fans also will go straight to despair. But as soon as there is like one crumb of hope, they're just at eleven with confidence, which I respect. The Knicks win two games in a row, and every single person in New York City is just walking around with the confidence of like Biggy free styling and yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The guy in the Spider Man suit is out in front of MSG Krick walking and stuff.
Speaker 3: They're like, what, Okay, he's getting sturdy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I will say the Celtics are I think last week we were marveling at the fact that the Celtics had entered the top ten for not Peer net rating of all time, of all time. They're on there with like Jordan's Bulls, the seventy two win Warriors, like all these historically great teams. Since we talked about that last week, they've gone to like fourth, I think, or second, depending on which net rating you're talking about. They are like a historically great team at a time when like there, this is not a this is not a year when anyone was like, oh, there's not a lot of talent in the league. This is like as talented as the league has been. There are definitely some teams that are you know that it's not there's not a ton of parody like in terms of you know, there are some pretty bad teams, but they are They're doing historically great in a league that is as stacked as the league has ever been.
Speaker 4: And they've had a few games like I think they beat the Wizards by four, and they beat they like went to overtime and beat the Pistons by two to barely extend their losing streak, Like yeah, they were gonna be the ones they broke it against, and they barely squeaked that game out and then they like close game against less until the third quarter one by twenty eight. Uh just absolutely ran away from the beginning.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a Scers fan, and we were playing you guys tight through the first half, and then it was just it was like, oh, you guys were sprinting. Oh no, no, no, okay, we're gonna pull away now. But that was just sorry, yeah, time to us, to time for us, like the effortlessness with which you guys just put us away, Like granted without Embiid, but I don't know that it matters at this point.
Speaker 4: I'm I like, really, I'm genuinely and I don't say this in a condesce anyway, I'm genuinely sad that joe El Embiid has been out for so long. Like it I first of all, as a human person who's just like in pain every day, that must suck. Like my my wife is doing some physical therapy on her knees just from like general wear and tear, and like that seems miserable. And for him to be like, I can't go to work because my my knees are just like I'm there's no flesh, I'm just skeleton under my skin. Yeah, Like that sucks and it's like such a wonderful worthy adversary, Like I love that clash.
Speaker 3: I don't love that He's like, and I'm coming back this year regardless of what a record is. Like, I love that as like a professional wrestler move. Yeah, they're like, oh, he's coming back. It doesn't but for the long term health of the seventy six ers and him, I don't love that. But I think this is good for the NBA too, because I think the whole nation other than Boston Celtics fans roots against the Celtics and now true like the narratives structure, The narrative structure of this season is rocky. For like, we have Ivan Drago in the NBA right now. It's the team that everyone doesn't like they have. They have actual Ivan Drago in this in the middle for them, they're like historically like punching the punch meter and it's like, you know, going to a million pounds and scientists glasses are breaking, which.
Speaker 4: I love that the Nuggets have Bizarro I've been dragging.
Speaker 3: Right yeah yeah, right yeah, sure, like kind of the Sylvester Stallone of the NBA like looks Funny doesn't really seem to care that much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Sylvester are still don have like equally thick accents, like you here when you're still in duck You're like, are you like Italian from Serbia?
Speaker 3: Want to be with my horses?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: I want to do? Who are you?
Speaker 2: Is there anyone you know looking?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Obviously getting to the finals is step one?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is there anybody you think is going to give you trouble at this one?
Speaker 1: Because I'm I mean, I think you know Jackson been saying for a while it's the Celtics versus the field, probably, But is there I.
Speaker 2: Mean, is it the Bucks?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 3: Who is there anyone you look at?
Speaker 2: Obviously you're not going to be cocky, but who do you actually like?
Speaker 1: This is one thing I am We really will have to rise to the occasion and show a little bit of a different dimension from past years to get through and get it done.
Speaker 4: I do think it would feel significant to beat the Heat this season. I think like there is it feels like there's a real narrative that the Heat have like dominated the Celtics, which in the past three conference finals, the heat of one that they played against each other, the Heat of one two the Celtics of one one, since it feels like legitimately a rivalry, but Miami Heat fans are like, no, we're a yachts row boat. And it's like like, let it be a rivalry, like we're you know what I mean, you guys ruled. It's like, no, both can be good and let it that's that's like what a clash of the Titans are right, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Guys are bad at basketball. Actually turns like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, leave it alone. Yeah that sucks.
Speaker 3: We're in seventh year in first leave it alone.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, well, I mean, and then there's the national thing of like the Heats. The Heat have the league right where they want them, right on top of them, and it's like like, truly, it's what they accomplished last season was great and I think that that it was a pretty crushing Eastern Conference finals, and so I think it would be nice to vanquish them. But I think the Heat and the Bucks are tough. I like don't and you know, famous last words, but like I don't have a lot of fear of the Knicks, even at full strength. I don't have a lot of fear of the Calves, even at full strength at this point, and I like can't believe we would live in in a physical reality where Joe l Embiid's knee is sufficient to like for a deep playoff run this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then it's the Nuggets, right, like yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean, I like, I'm at the point where I'm rooting for the Nuggets because I think They're the only team that has a chance of beating this help.
Speaker 4: I think the Nuggets have the best chance for sure. I think it would be a real knockdown, drag out series with with the Thunder and maybe the woll The Timberwolves, I don't. I have a little less confidence in them, But I just feel like shake Gill, just Alexander is to this point in the season, he would be number one if I had an MVP ballot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's perfectly fair.
Speaker 4: And I will say on the record, I'm a huge Jason Tatum fan. I think that, like, should he be the MVP of the league? Conversation feels like a little manufactured. He's just so good. But like, yeah, but I also as a hater, as a true Bostonian and hater anyone who votes Luka Doncic top two is just absolutely out of their mind, Like you can't their team is too bad. It's like, oh, yeah, sure, the most valuable player. He heroically brought the MAVs to a forty six win season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with like a ninety eight percent usage, Like yeah, like.
Speaker 4: He's amazing at basketball. But it's like, let's be serious.
Speaker 3: Here, Yeah, amazing highlight reel though, one of the best shot makers. Should we take a break and come back and talk about how the league is too good and we need to make it work good looking at it so boring all these showing circle and we're back and I mean just quickly around the league. Bucks also looking good. It's kind of getting drowned out by the fact that the Celtics have one in eleven in a row, but the Bucks you're six and oh post in the Danilo Gallinari era, fans are calling, Yeah the gall Lebron James put in his forty thousandth point. There was a cool computer graphic of every one, like a shot chart of every one of his shots going out. That was kind of fun to watch.
Speaker 4: Chart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, more shot charts.
Speaker 4: Might have been Kirk Goldsberg. Someone did a Kaitlin Clark shot chart and I was like, I'll watch this still it's done.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah, Kaitlyn Clark, I mean broke the all time n C DOUBA scoring record topped Pete maravich uh and is going into the draft this offseason. And then on the other side of the spectrum, Washington, we didn't nobody thought it was possible for somebody to catch Detroit, but they are now. They now have a worse record than Detroit. They're thirty nine and a half games back Detroit only thirty nine games back from the Celtics. So yeah, it's yeah, nine and fifty one versus nine and fifty two.
Speaker 4: I think it's not their year.
Speaker 1: There's still time, right, wasn't Kuzma saying Son is like, you don't want to lose to that team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at this point, it's like that team talking about the Detroit losing streak. You're them Well yeah, well, well yeah.
Speaker 1: Jordan Poole is having an absolute laugh though. He's having a laugh over there.
Speaker 3: All right now the real question. Yeah. Tim Bo Temps and Kevin Pelton over on ESPN explored the topic that was on all our minds. Have offenses become too good? Yes? Yeah, right, Like I come for the missus, I come for the I come for the rebounding, the box outs.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing, seeing the bag off the heel of the rim.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just straight up.
Speaker 4: In the air, when iron sound, when a rebound would go past the three point line, if no one picked up what I want to see rebound.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, just like real stiff rebound that fly. The miss is so much worse than anyone expected it, and everyone just kind of like walks out with like a little exasperation together.
Speaker 4: Violation.
Speaker 3: Oh man, now you're talking my language, you know, yeah, second violations. Love it all. Love. The article is incredible because they answer the question like repeatedly because at first they're like, you know, some people say it's like a rules change. The rules did change back in two thousand and four, I think it was, so they've been for twenty years, and like the changed. Yeah, well the thing is changed, right, the thing that changed. They asked Mike Brown, who's been coaching since two thousand and five, and he's just like, no, everyone's just like way better now. Everyone's gotten better, man. Like, the shot making is incredible and we're getting great NBA players from literally like every country on earth. Yeah, yeah, like.
Speaker 4: It's it's also there were like twenty five years of NBA history where it was just like uncouth to shoot three pointers, right right right?
Speaker 3: Oh, certain, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: It was just like impolite for a long time, and that's why the scores were low. And then people were like, maybe we should practice these shots that are worth more points. And now they're amazing at it, and it's like, yeah, it's incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I don't know if there's anything that could be done to like curb today's record scoring. Guys are just so freaking good compared to back then that it would be tough. It'd be tough. That's Mike Brown being like, compared to when I was also an NBA coach, Like you know, ten fifteen years ago, guys are just way too good at scoring the thing that people come to NBA basketball games to see.
Speaker 1: People are shooting the best ever from three point range. And these aren't like just open looks, these are like contested shots.
Speaker 4: Defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're making more free throws. Turnovers are at their lowest.
Speaker 3: That's like again like turnovers, they're taking care of the ball, they're doing all the things that your high school basketball coach shouts at you to do, Yeah, make your free throws and take care of the ball. They're doing both of those things.
Speaker 1: We're running ladders for every turnover.
Speaker 4: No, I think the one proposal that I heard that I was like, actually, this sounds kind of good is to for the I forget who said it, it.
Speaker 3: Was, it was me earlier, different rights.
Speaker 4: For the reps to call games more like the playoffs, so to let it get a little more physical, and I think the one the good thing about that is it empowers great defenders, because I do like watching great defenders play defense. But also when there are fewer calls, there are fewer replays, so you also thin out the replays, right, because it's not just like, oh I called a foul. Is it a fowl? Is it not? It's like it's not a foul and you have no chance to say yeah, sorry, yeah yeah. So I'm like yeah, sure, Like that's that seems exciting. But outside of that, it's like, let's do away with the corner threes.
Speaker 3: Why, yeah, right, so that you just can't shoot them anymore? Yeah? Why what? What would that even look? Like? The three point arc would just end over it.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, it would just stop it would be like a map in the fourteen hundred that there's just dragons made it on the corn here there at the end of the loss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like do not go there.
Speaker 4: But yeah, this is so silly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean also just on on a continuum.
Speaker 1: Like we've said, even from the start of the show, players are getting better and better. It's fun to watch people get better and better. And not only that, the game is becoming more popular around the world and we're getting there's just more people. There's just a larger sample of people that are getting better and better at basketball, and we just benefit from that. I mean, I get the thing of like being like, hey, let them play, because I do miss those, you know, like nineties playoff basketball, But at the same time like seeing some of these performances, just like what is going on and how.
Speaker 4: I also think it's not like we're not seeing thrilling defense played right, Like right numbers too high is like a banana's complaint. Like you watch an All Star game and you go, oh, that's what it looks like when nobody plays defense. Yeah, exactly, Watch Victor wein Banyama play and you're like, he's making defensive plays that I've never seen.
Speaker 3: I just watch him play defense. I like pay attention to only him on defense.
Speaker 4: Because human body is capable of playing defense like that. So it's like, okay, there there are examples, right, Like there are teams that are worse at defense. So it's not like defense doesn't make a difference in the league. Does that make sense? Yeah, Like you watch the the Celtics, you watch the Timberwolves, the Knicks when they're healthy, and you're like, oh, yeah, these teams can like lock down when it's time to lock down. It's just that, like the level of locking down has has gone up with the the you know, the floor is a little higher, the ceilings a little higher. But like if defense weren't a thing that then you there wouldn't be teams that were better at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, there should be. Making has gotten so good that they can lock down less than they used to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Like but they can still they'll still lock down and the Yeah, the shot making is just at a different level. It's a luxury that they have now. And like that. The thing with the playoffs is, yeah, the refs call it a little bit differently, but also people are playing much more intensely, you know, at a higher level with more physicality, because it's like one of you know, sevens, it's not one of eighty two. And so it's just a change of the mentality. Yeah, but yeah, I truly I think the thing that people are witnessing is that basketball, more than any other sport, is like everyone's getting better every season. Like you can just see it, like the like I remember watching like basketball in the nineties and then like seeing a clip from the eighties and being like, who are these guys out there just like running around with like the mustaches, you know, guys like in short shortes with like big knee pads, and like he's just doesn't Yeah, there's no athleticism. And then the nineties it got better. And now if you look at like today's players compared to then, it's just a completely different level of everybody being able to make shots, make like more difficult shots. It's incredible and it's fun. Like that's what's great about the Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Who's ever seen a made basket in the envy had been like two eies. This is an affront in the eyes of basketball fans.
Speaker 1: Well, because you have like you know, like you know Drew Holliday has said, like, just let us play a little bit more physically, yeah, and then I can then like you know, cause those are like that's sort of like the level of dissent is like people, I don't know if people are gonna put up he said, pe quote people like to see people get sixty and seventy and do all that. How are you going to do that if somebody can be physical and be handsy and be aggressive in that way. So I personally don't think that the balance is there, And that's more of like that's more level than people being like completely off balance.
Speaker 2: This is the world's gone ay wire. Like yeah, that that's a small tweak.
Speaker 1: And Joe Dumars he's just saying like, yeah, man, a lot of people are calling us saying like you need to look into this, and he's saying for his sort of defense here as quote, it's not to that point yet in terms of like looking at what can be done specifically from a rules standpoint. It's like, quote, we're diving into the data right now, just a ton of film and putting together ton of reels to be able to look at this and go, okay, yeah, we do have a problem, but you don't make changes like that just on.
Speaker 2: An anecdotal call, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And to his point too, I think he said people are like with all these high scoring games, people were like.
Speaker 3: Did you see what Booker did?
Speaker 2: Did you see what Embiid did?
Speaker 4: Did you see?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Those are those are the moments that I am texting other people about because it is just so different.
Speaker 2: And yeah, there's some.
Speaker 3: People who cause it don't play defense.
Speaker 1: But at the same time like, yeah, but I think it's cool to see somebody just go out of body like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And like Garl Anthony Town's scoring sixty in a loss, and it's like they that that's like seventy to win. There wasn't a Karl Anthony Towns twenty years ago. There wasn't like, you know, until like Dirk Nowitsky started shooting from distance at that size. It's like that that guy just didn't exist in nineteen ninety two, whatever, thirty three, thirty two years ago. They would have had him on the block just like thumping against other guys and some of them. It's like a beautiful style of basketball.
Speaker 3: And it came from outside of the US, you know. Direk was like, oh yeah, what And now we have Embiid who's like, what if Shack had the touch of dirt?
Speaker 4: Like shock, oh, Joel Embiid the what he does for the myth of you can't shoot free throws because you're a real.
Speaker 3: Big they're too big.
Speaker 4: So funny, we're just like someone should just make Shack watch Joel Emband shoot free throws for like an hour and be like and you couldn't have gotten half this good. It's my wrist, okay, the same begands. Yeah, so silly. It's it's such a goofy, like it's such an ESPN pilled conversation, like you've gone through the looking glass.
Speaker 3: To their defense. I think they knew that because the article like just a very clear like has like five great arguments. Like it turns out the biggest driver in the NBA's recent residents scoring is team's getting smarter about how to attack defense. It's just like, no, everyone's better and smarter and doing exactly what they should do if they want to score.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Drew Holiday is also like exactly the guy who would make that argument right of like, yeah, you let me body a guy up and he's not going to score seventy times. Yeah, I believe that from him. He's a guy that like makes his money being just like an incredible defensive player, and he would be more incredible if the rules permitted. But like, do we want? Is that what we want from.
Speaker 3: The least what we need? Yeah? Ah, when you guys got through Holiday, I was just like, we're all screwed. Let's see, all right, maybe maybe five years.
Speaker 4: I was so sad when they traded Marcus Smart. I was in I remember where it was. I was in Oklahoma City and I was like on a in a hotel room and I was just like, oh man, I'm sad about this team. It's it's like the end of an era. And then they got through Holiday and I was like, or he's really filled the Marcus Smart shaped hole in my heart as they say where I'm from, the Marcus Smart shaped hole in my hat?
Speaker 3: Yeah, smart shaped hole in the hot amazing. Let's uh, should we take a break and come back and put Josh through the gauntlet? Yeah the yeah, that's what you think. And then already come at you.
Speaker 2: Got some got some tough ones party, John.
Speaker 3: We'll be right that.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 3: We're back, I've heard Miles say, And we're back before, but not liking his chops.
Speaker 4: Right, he's at playoff intensity.
Speaker 3: Like this in a little right now. I've never seen them like this. Josh.
Speaker 1: We love you, man, We love you, but it's time to cook you in the fourth quarter. It's the rapid fire round of questions, the fastest question answer segment of all sports podcasting history on NBA Podcasts, hosted by two guys who also do a daily show about news and politics.
Speaker 3: Okay, very specific category, but we do in that category top three. I mean to be fair, Yeah, exactly, that's right. So we are too. Okay, So here we go.
Speaker 4: In the league. It sounds just say South francey.
Speaker 3: The south of Boston.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm from the south of Yeah, south from the south of Boston.
Speaker 1: Now get ready, Josh, We're gonna ask you a question. Just don't think respond, reply rapidly so we can maintain our crown of being in the top three. Okay, here we go. You've done it before, so I don't have to tell you anything. But I do have to tell.
Speaker 4: Brian start the clock.
Speaker 3: Okay, Brian, just do what he says. Yeah, got a crazy all right, he did it, he did it, he did it. He's got it. He's got it. Okay, what do you want? Do you want to start first? You want to start first?
Speaker 4: Want to start first?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, here's an easy one.
Speaker 2: We're talking nineties throwback jerseys.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can pick three of these nineties throwbacks to preserve forever. What are your top three nineties throwbacks from this image?
Speaker 4: We are going Sonics obviously for posterity.
Speaker 2: Then Gary Peyton Sonics yep, yep, Yah Friday Nineties yep.
Speaker 3: We are in orbit around the Sonics logo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it rules. We are going Sons, incredible basketball sons streaking across the jersey. Yes.
Speaker 3: And this guy likes basketballs and his logos.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then we're switching it up. Charlotte Hornets Classics starter jacket colors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Larry Johnson Charlotte horn Its colors.
Speaker 1: That was honestly such an iconic era, like aesthetically in the NBA, like when that when that team was out, I remember buying like every pair of Converse like I used to be a Nike head. But Grandmama, that blew my mind. I was like, Mom, I need cons with React.
Speaker 4: Juice, cos I need cons with the React juice, the regular ones, the juice in these cons What the heck?
Speaker 2: This ain't react juice.
Speaker 4: This is sunning here.
Speaker 3: I know this one.
Speaker 4: It's fits the fruit punch one.
Speaker 3: We got purple stuff, react juice. What do you want all about the react? Yeah? I never fully understood the promise, the physics that were implied by react juice. It was like, I go this way, the juice goes the other way. It balances you out and allows you to react. Yeah, don't worry, we were It's you know how you play your best basketball when your shoes are wet? Yeah, just imagine that the heaviness. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: You ever been in the rain and your your shoes get soaked down to the insole and then you walk.
Speaker 3: Out there in reaction juice converse, react juice. Just a clip of Larry Johnson dunking with like a squaw sound? Does he take?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: All right? We got some more likely to happen for you, our patented more likely to happen. Second more likely to happen? And why Orlando Magic Eastern Conference Finals run or the Cleveland Calves Eastern Conference Final run.
Speaker 4: Cleveland Calves Eastern Conference Finals run, But neither one's gonna happen yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the correct answer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, okay, Thunder or Wolves Western Conference Final run. I think Thunder, Yeah, I think is the best player on either of those teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she is so good.
Speaker 2: You see the loose to the Lakers.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys got that what they lost to the don't if you saw that to the Lakers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I did think. And Miles, you were proposing a rule. You were saying enough like the offense the offensive defensive balance is fine? Yeah, world chance and just a just an idea that you're spitball in here. But do you want to pitch it to Josh.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like it's it's called like the warrior logic of the ancient times, which is you assume the position in the standings of the team you beat.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, kind of like Mega man, you steal their power exactly. Thank you. I think that's fine.
Speaker 2: I Rockaman for my Japanese listeners.
Speaker 4: Yes, I thought you were going to say, any player who is thirty nine and over, they get an extra point five point every bad.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no, we don't need to encourage that.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say this and curse the Lakes. But it is interesting to me that of all the teams in the top net rating top ten, uh, the only ones that didn't win the title were beat by Lebron James. Jeames.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's you know, he's really good.
Speaker 3: He's still pretty good.
Speaker 2: He's good when he wants, he's good when you he can be. Yeah, that's we just needed to be a little more consistent.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it's not about them, it's about you. Who's more likely to happen? What's more likely to happened to?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: Tatum finals MVP or Jokic second finals MVP.
Speaker 4: Oh? I think Jokic second finals MVP because I think that there's a better chance that if the Celtics win, it could be one of a couple guys. And I think if the Nuggets win, it's Jokic. Yeah, I see, I see, okay, Okay, that's fair. The Celts are stacked. How you say stacked?
Speaker 3: How you say.
Speaker 4: That's still yeah?
Speaker 3: How you say, uh, what is the one moment or game from NBA history you wish Twitter had been around for?
Speaker 4: Oh man, that's a great question. One game from NBA history? I think what's like a maybe the Rudy tom Janovic punch. Oh my god, maybe that or or you know what, I think the greatest. I think this would have sent New York City, like New York City's power would have gone out from all the tweets. Is Stark stunking over Jordan? Yeah yeah, New York and just exploding.
Speaker 3: It's been so long since they've been good that, Like, I that's a really good point. Like that's gonna be a whole social media event when they're making finals runs like yeah, oh yeah, oh my god, yeah, insufferable.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's gonna be so bad.
Speaker 2: Who's the most underrated NBA social media follow.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a good question. I'm not. I don't follow a ton of players. I do think. I do love both art, but maked sports and NBA. I think NBA dats is great. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I have the Jason Potato hat where it's Jason Tatum as little Potato. I almost got my dad. The Derek Walter white hoodie was just Derek front of the band from Breaking Bad.
Speaker 3: With the shaved head.
Speaker 4: Now obviously I think this is pre shaved head.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, wow, Yeah that's a better yeah right ye, just his little flat top with around it Eisenberg.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it should they should have one of him chasing down opposing player that says I am the one who blocks.
Speaker 3: That would be pretty I'm in.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that. That's I hope they're listeners. I mean they probably are. We are the number two NBA.
Speaker 1: I'm already selling it on red Bubble now. I just designed to what's for sale now? Yeah, look for my red Bubble store.
Speaker 3: All right, NBA player who is not Blake Griffin that could have a comedy career.
Speaker 4: You know who's been I'm trying. I've been really thinking about whether this guy's funny or he's just on a heater right now. Luke Cornett, Lake Cornett, he he like hit, he hit a shot and then did this weird like celebration where he was just kind of like karate chopping his face and then he recently they talked about this on No Dunks Today, but Celtics Twitter was a buzz about it the other day that they were like favorite movie villain, like one of those like in Arena pro like Little Bumpers, and Luke Cornett went personal trauma from Goodwill on Oh my God, She's so funny.
Speaker 3: That's really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I'm kindad. I made a mental note today to be like, I get to reach out to my sources to see if he's really funny, right right?
Speaker 3: Oh man, okay, cents, well know uh, Boosty's listeners will know Lou Cornett from the inventor of the Cornett Contest, which I think I haven't seen as much of it this season, but I feel like we're going to start seeing it come back because web Bingama is going to use it to actually blockshot somehow.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, from the paint mister Burns blocking out the sun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Houser did it in the game against the Warriors, I think, and then shout it out Cornett after so funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a thing. That's the thing. That's what you showed when you say.
Speaker 3: It used to be kobeb but now it's Cornette cold straight up.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: And this is a real important question, Josh.
Speaker 1: You're on a life raft in the sea and you come upon Jason Tatum and Bill Russell in the water.
Speaker 3: They need help, but you.
Speaker 2: Can only fit one more person in the raft.
Speaker 3: Who are you saving? Look?
Speaker 4: Bill Russell's playing dancer long behind him as wow as he did pass away a couple of years ago. Wow, he is an American civil rights icon, so I think it has to be. And he's an older man, less good at swimming somewhere, you go. It's assuming he's.
Speaker 3: Still alive at all swim. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's got that.
Speaker 3: He's going to fight in him.
Speaker 4: Yeh, he's playing those thirty eight minutes a game. You can swim, Bill wrestle gets in the raft gets you or nine rings in eleven years gets you in the raft, or eleven and.
Speaker 3: Thirteen gets you in the raft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're trying to design that question to really really put a twist. How about this, What if it were Twan or Paul Pierce?
Speaker 4: Oh, I think it's I think I'm taking the truth. Yeah, okay, he's God, he's such a funny figure around the league where he just goes to Celtics regular season games like like a twenty two year old at his old high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like, you know where I am. Yeah this was Paul Pierce. Yeah, yeah, that's me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like one of the best to ever play for our team. Yeah yeah, I just wanted to make sure. Yeah my jacket, yep, what was The best anecdote we got from Doc Rivers' brief break from coaching was when he was talking about how the Celtics coaches when Paul would get on the team bus with the sunglasses on, they would be like, oh, no, Pierre's here, which meant like he'd gone out the night before, like he was not going to be very good.
Speaker 4: Pierre documentary about over called Pierre up there.
Speaker 3: The Pierre up there. Josh gondle Man. Yeah, what a pleasure in the books. Thank you so much for doing it. Where can people have me? Where can people find you? Follow you, see you all that good stuff.
Speaker 4: I'm at Josh Gondleman across social media Josh Gondleman dot com for tour dates. I'm going all over the country, coming up Bloomington, Indiana, next to the New Orleans shooting a special in Brooklyn June twenty first tickets so available for LeHo and I do a weekly newsletter called That's Marvelous. That is it's free, you can sign up for it. It's full of pep talks and sometimes I talk hoops. But I think a lot of people get bored when I do that, So.
Speaker 2: Well, here, come back and do that with us because I appreciate.
Speaker 4: This is such a pleasure as allways, and make.
Speaker 1: Sure you follow the hashtag mad boostis b w sd I e s for show links updates.
Speaker 2: You can follow me on Twitter at Miles of Gray.
Speaker 3: I'm at Jack Underscore O'Brien, and that's going to do it for us. Another one in the books. Many they said, I mean more than anything. They said yes, they said we couldn't make it to one hundred episodes. They definitely said no chance one hundred and three. Well look at us.
Speaker 2: Now and another banner, Doctor Carter, you were wrong all right for us? See you next week or we'll hear you next week. Take care, bye, yo, Kiah, you want to come out here.
Speaker 1: M