Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles ahead.
Speaker 2: He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Radio presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Harry's Gonna score touchdown Slam the Ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo.
Speaker 5: He came flying into the back of.
Speaker 3: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford A State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm. Hand by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Hazycardinals dot Com, Slash Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Red Sas Rising Up.
Speaker 5: Jim You, Rising Vision, Flurry Rage taking Over.
Speaker 2: Here's Paul Calves.
Speaker 4: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 2: And Ron Wilfleep. It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 6: U leash the fiord.
Speaker 4: You know what makes this upcoming season just so intriguing, no, is that there are way more questions than answers. True, where's this season going, what's in store, how's it going to play out? And who will beat the players in this final fifty three?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: All we know for sure is that the process is underway, and I tend to think that day one of training camp also becoming the first day we've had of rain in more than four months, that somehow those two are interconnected and linked, that somehow there was cause and effect. Really, that the fact that Cardinals camp was back underway and all of a sudden we got rain. Somehow those football gods they honored the fact that Cardinals were back on the turf here at State Farm Stadium.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 4: Paul. The only other thing I really know for sure is that somebody has to pay them selves around here, because Wolf, you have been on your feet all day long. Wolf, it's a long training camp, it's a long season.
Speaker 1: Paul, I gotta tell you right now, I've never felt so energized in my life, I kid you not based on what I saw out there in practice today. I don't think I've ever seen anything that has energized me as much on day one, at least for me, this is day one for me than what I saw out there at an up, fired up ball.
Speaker 4: You and Buddha Baker. Buddha Baker was he was spired up, he was out in that field, he was smiling, and all of a sudden You're like, Okay, what's going on? Just the fact he was out on the field. That's the first answer for all the questions we had come in into camp. You could argue, Number one, Buddha Baker, what's his status? He did not participate on field activities in the off season, but getting things underway here. They got his deal done, as we found out later. In fact, here's the head coach Jonathan Gannon when asked about Buddha Baker team captain.
Speaker 7: First and foremost. You know, when you turn on a tape, everyone is watching that tape. Who stands out? You know? I think Jeff Rogers said it best in his teams meeting. You know, he's looking for guys when you turn on a tape, It's like who the.
Speaker 2: Is that guy?
Speaker 7: You know? And obviously everyone knows who number three is, But those type of plays show up, you know, pretty consistently on a tape for him.
Speaker 4: And look, speaking to DB's key troll Clark is, they're a very special guest tonight, the rookie sixth round or right. He's been falling around Buddha Baker like all.
Speaker 6: The dbs do.
Speaker 4: But Buddha Baker got a deal done before camp started. Manti austin Ford ownership. He got a deal done, reportedly two point four million in bonuses and incentives added to his deal, a three hundred thousand dollars signing bonus, two point one million to be had, and incentives and bonuses, et cetera. So boom, Okay, we talked about this at length. Well, yes, and to me, it's about a best case scenario you could end up with.
Speaker 2: I say it's a win win, Paul.
Speaker 4: Both sides got what they wanted and we all know you're either part of the problem part of the solution. I've called this offseason the latest Purge movie. Buddha Baker definitely part of the solution Wolf, and we know it not just what he does on film and does on the field, but what he does in that locker room.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. Bully, it's so critical right now. Buddha Baker got paid. He's happy right now. And you didn't give him a new contract. You did not do it. You didn't tear it up and say this is going to be a new extension with Buddha Baker. So you still have that in your back pocket if you're maniasin for it right now.
Speaker 2: What I love about this Boot is happy. Boot is happy boot is happy.
Speaker 1: Now, all of a sudden, you're gonna have coaches that are gonna take out their red dot and they're gonna stick that red dot on tape. When the tape is up on the wall in front of everybody, they're gonna stick that red dot on number three and they go, boys, look at number three. Watch Buddha right here. There are two times in the world whereas a player, you're really really worried about.
Speaker 2: That red dot.
Speaker 1: Okay, one of those times, though, could be a good time where you actually do something well. The other time is typically with the red dot. What are you doing here? What is going on here?
Speaker 2: Right? Buddha Baker is the perfect red dot because.
Speaker 1: When they put that red dot on Buddha Baker, it's because he's doing something really really special.
Speaker 2: That's who he is.
Speaker 4: And if there's one thing Jonathan Gannon and this staff does, it's whole players accountable. It's one big reason he was hired. I was identified as an issue coming off the four win campaign a year ago, but even the head coach admits it's better coming from players than it is from coaches, and Zamon Collins talked about that just having Buddha Baker back from day one.
Speaker 8: I was standing there and someone punched me in the stomach. I was like, who the hell is this? They're Buddha but like yeah, and he's like, are you ready?
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, I'm ready to boo. Let's go.
Speaker 8: It's day one to the long season. Let's get after it. Buddah always brings a type of energy. Boot will hold everyone accountable. You know, it was my rookie season. I messed up a simple play, and I mean he was on the sideline just you know, getting like telling me every name in the book. But like, I mean, I remember that day vividly. But it wasn't because he's trying to be harsh towards me. It was because he's trying to make me better.
Speaker 4: Zaveon Collins there, Wolf. You know, look we go hit rewind over the last twenty years, the Carson Palmers, the Larry FitzGeralds, the Kurt Warners. Yeah, holding teammates accountable, Yes, it just seems to go that much farther when you're hearing it from a team leader.
Speaker 1: No, Paully, there's no doubt about that. It's so critical right now, You've heard me talk about it many many times, there is culture and then there is modeling that culture. And Buddha Baker. You've heard me talk about this, he doesn't just model the culture that they want here, Paul. He is the culture that they want here. A smart guy who's going to go about his business in a very professional kind of way, who's going to give you everything that he's got on the field and off. He is the exact kind of culture that the coaching staff wants here. And that's the reason why Buddha Baker is so valuable going forward Schematically. I can't wait to see how they use him. What are they going to do with Buddha Baker? Where's he going to be? Are we going to see three safeties? Because I saw it in practice today. Very interesting to see what they're gonna do with Buddha Baker and where he's gonna line up.
Speaker 4: Jonathan Gannon was asked what he respects about a Buddha Baker, two time All Pro, and he said, you know what, simply put, he plays the game, in my opinion, Saigan, in the way the game should be played. Let that hang for a minute, and well, if he was that guy, whos a rookie when the Pro Bowl is a special teamer. Yeah, he was that guy. He's the guy. Mike Tomlin when he was miked up man was raving about Buddha Baker just flying all over the field. So so look, if there's one guy you're gonna model your behavior, that winning behavior, Yes, said Jonathan Bannon talks about Absolutely, it is Buddha Baker.
Speaker 1: It's Buddha Baker, Pauline. Not only that too. There are two things when you watch Buddha Baker on tape. And it's interesting because this is what we started this beautiful part of the program with.
Speaker 2: It's watching Buddha on tape.
Speaker 1: When you watch him on tape, and jayg knows exactly what I'm talking about right now, there are two things that overwhelm you when you watch Buddha Baker on tape. Two things. Number one, absolutely fearless. Fearless, Paul You can see a player that plays the game in a very fearless kind of way. You can see it. There's no hesitation whatsoever. He's fearless. That's number one. Number two, he never gives up out of play. You never see him loafit on a play. You put those two things together right there, that is the culture that you want other guys to actually model. Buddha is the culture you can have other guys model it.
Speaker 4: You know, when you say that, you know, I think of the end of the playoff loss at the La Rams Games, totally out of hand, Buddha Baker chasing down cam Akers touchdown, saving catch that's right, and then had to leave on a stretcher.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: That's Buddha Baker literally laying it all the line at the end of a game that had long been decided. Training camp powered by Cox, By the way, Free Cardinals camp tickets. All you have to do is go to Easycardinals dot comlah camp ticks. That's caamp t i X. The first open practice today for fans out here. The first padded practice is going to be July thirty. First, well, just give me a couple of impressions of what you saw out there.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. First of all, I just want to talk since we're talking about Buddha Baker, the free safety defense that I actually saw out on the field with Isaiah Simmons out there and Jalen Thompson out there as well. Very interesting that Isaiah Simmons a lot of the time was lined up in the middle of the field. Cover three is a massive coverage in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: It's been around forever, but it really has taken off in the last couple of years. Cover three is a favorite right here, three deep four underneath rush four. I think you're going to see an awful lot of that. I think you're also going to see man free where there's man across the board and then a free safety in the middle of the field. To me, that Cover three, though, you'll rotate a safety up into the box, and I'm wondering if you're gonna stick Isaiah Simmons in the middle of a field, you're gonna have Jalen Thompson and booting in the box.
Speaker 2: Very interesting.
Speaker 4: We'll talk offense next to the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert What a crime engineered by Cole McCoy.
Speaker 2: Cole McCoy just dropped up bed with thimble.
Speaker 5: You know, last year was just really tough.
Speaker 9: Some of my best friends and people that I love and care about and you know, are close with get fired.
Speaker 5: You know. Then you know you have a little off.
Speaker 9: Season surgery and like its just those things just add up emotionally, and I think when the off season started, I just I wasn't in a great place.
Speaker 5: Because I was physically I was getting.
Speaker 9: Better and better each day and I felt better, but.
Speaker 5: Emotionally I just was still.
Speaker 9: I don't know what the word would be, Probably just like sad, you know, like you're like in a fog, just just a little bit of a funk, a little bit of a funk, a little bit of a fog, Like you work so hard to make something happen, you know, you're just you're sad when it doesn't work out.
Speaker 4: Just one of many memorable moments from the Dave Pash Podcast featuring Colet McCoy in his fourteenth NFL season. A legend in Texas, soon to be thirty seven years of age, he has seen and done it all in the NFL. It's just a great listen the Pash Pod wherever you get your podcast. That's all you need to do. Just search Dave Pash Podcast and Colt McCoy the starting quarterback for now and for how long we don't know, but wolf just simply put you watch Cole McCoy, especially in this offense, and don't worry, we're gonna get into the offense. Sorry, right, but we're gonna get into the offense. We're gonna get in the physicality of this camp. But when I see Cole McCoy running this offense, I'm reassured. I mean, there's a certain confidence level just because he's been there and done that in this sort of scheme.
Speaker 1: He's definitely all over this kind of offense that the original Cardinals are getting ready to unferl But let me just say this right now, Polly, when I hear that cut, the very first thing I think of is, never forget the game of football and professional football players. It's played by human beings, you know what I mean. It just it really the humanity of what he just said right there, it really reminds me.
Speaker 2: It hits home.
Speaker 1: You know, so much of the time, Paul, I think we put these players on a pedestal like they're being down from the mothership, and yet we need a good reminder that they are human just like everybody else.
Speaker 2: They're human beings.
Speaker 1: And Colt McCoy right there relaying just how upset he has been in regard to losing a lot of his friends, not only coaches that he's worked with, teammates, of course obviously, but even front office personnel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just how much he cares, it's obvious. It's palpable in that cut. A lot of guys in the NFL, you know, they're playing for the next contract. They're hired mercenaries. Colt's one of those guys that cares about everyone. His dad was a high school coach. It's in his dear the game itself. And so when it comes to being the Cardinals starting quarterback to begin this season, which is what we presume, that's not something that is lost on a Colt McCoy's He shared with day Pash.
Speaker 9: It's a cool feeling, like I don't take it lightly that there's only thirty two guys to get to do this. For me, it's very similar to the role I've been in the last two years. It's like always being ready, always studying, always learning, always prepairing, always asking questions. A ton of my closest friends are gone. They're They're just gone. That's a hard process to go through emotionally and mentally. And now I feel like through this break, I'm in a way better place and I'm ready to go back and play football.
Speaker 4: You know what else is gone? Yeah, the previous way the Arizona Cardinals approached the offensive side of the ball. It's I mean, oh yeah, well, just simple things that you take for granted. Team is now going to huddle. Yes, this team is now going to be under center. This team is now going to require different mechanics and footwork from their quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's not just different play calling and scheming. It's just a radically different way to approach moving the football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paul, you know you mentioned huddle right there. I got to jump on that right now. This is a huge thing. You know what a big believer in the huddle that I am, and I think a lot of teams have found this out and discovered it, maybe the hard way, right because they didn't have it. So of course, you know, the last four or five years, I would say, the new age coming in and man, you were going to go no huddle and it's up tempo. It's all about get on the ball, and yep, it's up tempo. Get on the ball. What are you doing right now? What got lost in all of that is the accountability that actually happens inside a huddle. I'm talking about. Are you looking at me? Because I'm looking at you right now. Don't leave me hanging out to dry like you did on the last third and eight. Don't the last time we ran this production this protection. Don't me hang it. I mean, you know what I mean, PAULI like those conversations actually happened inside a huddle when the quarterback stepped out getting the play. It's it's not only accountability, it's also tips that are passed along. Hey, guys, remember the last third and ten what they did to us on the last one. Remember they brought that strong safety fire. We could see it again right here. I mean, it's just stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Times Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer were miked up, they break the huddle and he would grab one of the receivers and say, look, you're the key to this play.
Speaker 1: Yes, remember this, PAULI. It's it's critical that you actually huddle.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: There are gonna be times you want to go up tempo, no doubt about it. There are gonna be times I'm all four jumping into the how the no huddle even on a series, Paul, just doing it out of nowhere to surprise your opponent.
Speaker 2: I got no problem with that.
Speaker 1: But when you say this is what we're gonna do ninety percent of the time. We're always gonna do it this way. Man, I got all sorts of problems with DoD.
Speaker 4: I tell you, it's really interesting what's coming on offense. Kyleannabash busted out some numbers. Wolf. How about this, the same Kyle Vanibosch that ripped you down on the field earlier today, that dirt bag. Okay, he came up with some numbers. And it goes something like this. Cleveland's offense last year was top five and twelve personnel. They were a number one in thirteen personnel. Do you know who is number one in twelve personnel? The Philadelphia Eagles. So between Drew Petsen and Cleveland and Jonathan Gannon in Philadelphia, Yeah, guess what it is going to look and play a lot different this year.
Speaker 1: Paully, There's no doubt about that. One of the biggest signing of the off seasons just happened. One of the biggest signing of the off season just happened. Jeff Swain. Okay, the veteran title veteran tight end Jeff Swain from the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 4: Right now, Pedestrian pass catching numbers.
Speaker 1: So forget about the pass catching. Okay, Paully, well you did. This is a true stud tight end. This is the first true stud tight end who's actually played in the National Football League that is going to line up on the end of the line of scrimmage and actually come off the ball and remove somebody. He did it for the Tennessee Titans for a long time. He was a seventh round pick, Pauly, if I'm not mistaken, right now, he made himself into a tight end where he was a starter. He was the best blocking tight end the Tennessee Titans had for Derrick Henry. Would you say, Paully, the Tennessee Titans ran the ball, especially in a north south kind of way. Yes, yes, Pauli. And now all of a sudden, you've got him. You know what, I'm so happy for zach Ertz Zach you you don't have to try to be that guy anymore. We got that stud tight end right there.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Trey McBride can actually back up both spots, the why the stud tight end and the age he can develop he can grow. He doesn't have to be out there and learn with his hair on fire right now. He doesn't because they got a true stud tight end, and now zach Ertz is going to be your move tight end. Here comes twelve personnel baby.
Speaker 4: All right, so look, Cole McCoy is your starter. Layton tune has been running number two two days in the camp.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: You know what's interesting about the Clayton Tunes of the world. He spent five years at Houston. He never huddled in college. He's had to learn the huddle. Kyler Murray, to my knowledge, has never formally huddled. So it's gonna be a transition of sorts for the franchise quarterback.
Speaker 2: Oh, Paul, you're gonna have to call plays.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be different. So maybe maybe in some ways a small way, Cole McCoy taking the reins to start this scheme from the very beginning might be beneficial in a lot of different ways. Lets you comment on that. Right after we hear from Cole McCoy just talking about the Kyler Murray outlook on the Day Pash podcast.
Speaker 9: Kyler is he's the ultimate competitor, So I mean, I think he's attacking his rehab.
Speaker 5: He wants to be out on the field. He's good in meetings.
Speaker 9: You know, there are some things that are gonna be different, Like we are gonna huddle, we are gonna call plays in the huddle. We're gonna use like a lot of different mechanics than what we did last year, right, I mean, just from the very beginning, there's a lot of things to learn. But Kyler has jumped right in. He's doing the things that he can do without actually being out there and calling the plays and running the place. Right, But I bet he's out there sooner than later.
Speaker 4: It would be my guess, Well, luxury never afford to Kyler Murray. He was never able to sit be on a veteran quarterback, yes, and just learn and absorb. He was never able to do that. He was the guy from day one. So maybe there might ultimately be some benefit to this arrangement.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt about it. Bally, Right now, I think this can be a positive. You know how tight Kyler Murray and Colt McCoy are, and the fact that now Colt McCoy can actually show him, he can model exactly how you need to work your feet in this offense, putting him under center.
Speaker 2: Of course, you need.
Speaker 1: To run to that matchpoint right there and then be able to either bootleg it out of there, or set up in the pocket.
Speaker 2: Set up there. You've got to look at Colt.
Speaker 1: McCoy and his feet and Kyler can then go ahead do the exact same thing, buddie Colt McCoy on tape and then use that to obviously go out and replicate.
Speaker 4: And I to tell you what, Cole McCoy had a couple of dimes today. He hit Rondel Moore on a couple of passes. Money throws eleven on eleven. Uh, there were some throws to Hollywood Brown where he's right, I mean, so far looks good. And then of course we all know a quarterback's best friend is the run game. And one of the best quotes so far. Two days into camp, somebody was asking jg of just about the Cardinals new offense and featuring James Connor, and he said, I'm just excited to watch number six run the ball as we cram it vertical. That was the verbage us by the head coach.
Speaker 2: I love that, Paul.
Speaker 1: We got to put that on a car to sign somewhere. Hey, JJ, kram it vertical.
Speaker 4: You know else loves it. All the offensive linemen love it so raving about it already. There was a moment today where James Connor ran the zone the stretch play. Yeah, and he got some so he got some room off the edge and he just housed it. He just ran a neck. They were going the whistle. He kept going another sixty yards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he kept going right.
Speaker 1: Now, there's a new mentality, man, This is a this is a football mentality.
Speaker 2: It is a beautiful thing to actually watch.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: They got to grow at Paul.
Speaker 4: So you're a rookie draft pick right in your first impression when the new decision makers is, hey, coach, can I miss rookie mini camp? Key Troll Clark had a really good reason and he's has a really good chance to make a lot of noise in this camp as a corner. We have seen it all ready.
Speaker 2: I've seen a little bit of that.
Speaker 4: Well, hear from him next, Key Troll Clark on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert We are sandtan Ford.
Speaker 10: For some reason, every time would be of one on one situations. I was always matched up with Key Trail Clark, but we had some good battles back and forth, and I think he's gonna be a guy that's gonna play for a while because he controls all the control bulls.
Speaker 6: He's high no.
Speaker 10: Matter what, like high high energy guy, no matter what. And I have a lot of respect for how he prepares himself on the day to day. He told me today two pages of notes on me. Okay, this is what Mike does on this release, on this release, on.
Speaker 5: This round, on this round.
Speaker 10: I'm like, Bro's that's crazy. And so I love going against guys that truly love the game. And you know, Key Trail is one of those guys. I think he's going to be really, really special and he's got a special personality. I think he's one of the most special personalities I've probably come across in my lifetime in football.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 4: That's the keeper of a statement and eye opening statement from rookie receiver Michael Wilson on rookie corner Key Trell Clark. Until you realize the value placed on study and the importance of education from someone who asks for permission to miss rookie Mini Caamp to attend his college graduation. And we're gonna get into all that as we welcome a player and the big personality, Key Troll Clark did the big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Early in camp, your first NFL training camp, just us, how you doing, how you're feeling? I mean, how's how's the whole experience washing over you at this point?
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: First, I'll just say thank you for having me on this on this show today.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: It's it's an honor truly. Like you said, Man, it all started, you know, right after the season last year out of college, you know, started the combine prepping. Next thing, you know, onto the draft. And in my time, you know, letting coach jg and and everybody know like, look, I gotta go graduate, man, and when y'all draft me, that's what I gotta go do. Can y'all accept that? And you know they was, they was willing to that, and I was very appreciative, and you know, came in uh and too mini camp and gave it my all. And that's why you hear guys like Michael Wilson speak high praises of me, man, because because I really take this game to heart. Is more a lifestyle to me.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what did it mean when the decision makers embraced your request when theyheartedly said absolutely go out to college graduation, because that was quite the experience, wasn't it.
Speaker 6: It was? I just felt like it was an honor, like I said, for the head coach of an organization, the club to be able to grant me that opportunity to do so, man, And it just showed them, showed me that they value me as a person and a player as well. So I was just truly appreciative of that. Man.
Speaker 4: So studying is what you do, key Trot Clarker is our guests? Is that true? Are you really formulating notes on your own teammates and receivers you go against in practice?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, is no question about it. Because these are the guys that I compete against every single day. These are the guys I'm going to go against all year. You know what I'm saying. They're going to make me better, you know, so I want to make them better as well, you know. So I want to learn those learn the tools that they have in their toolbox, and then maybe change some tools in my toolbox. And they may see some things that they haven't seen from me. And that's how me and Michael we pretty much go at it. I might see him do something new and I'd be like huom that was new, bro, I ain't see that one, and then I'll change something up and we just keep going back and forth.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: So studying has always been a part of my repertoire and it's all the little details of things for me. Man, it can be something as little as the smallest of tiniest detail, and I'm gonna make sure that I know the ins and out of it, because I don't like not knowing something.
Speaker 4: What have you learned so far about the NFL? You obviously have a lot to learn, correct But like Kyle Soley, we had on recently, right fellow rookie, and he said, Man, I've learned you've got to be on your toes at all time because this head coach, this staff is liable to hold you accountable definitely at any moment.
Speaker 6: Definitely definitely. And one thing I love about this coaching staff is they love adaptability and change. At the end of the day, they understand that it's not a my way or the highway type of concept. It's what can we do to help you to put you in the best position possible to be able to go out and execute the way that we would like it. And that's the main thing. One thing that I truly learned about about the NFL man is special teams. Hey, you gotta really harp on the small details in everything, but special teams is one that you really have to provide the value and be able to know the details of every position to be able to get on the field as well.
Speaker 4: Well, I look at your SKYT report coming out of Louisville, and you're known as a feisty, aggressive corner. So does special teams sort of suit you in terms of the mentality needed?
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure, for sure. I feel like on special teams you gotta be feisty, you gotta be tenacious. You gotta go down the field and be able to really take somebody head off at the end of the day, so or be on kickoff returning and get ready for somebody two hundred and fifty pounds to run at you. So, Man, special teams, you just gotta have that killing mindset at the end of the day. And that's something that I possess.
Speaker 4: What was your mindset going to the Sweat Shrine game? Because from everything I can tell, that was critical for sure to your NFL future. Right, you're in a four to four two, but you really competed at the Shrine Game.
Speaker 6: For sure. My twenty twenty one season, I tore my ACL and my MCL, so I was coming back in the twenty twenty two season off of injury. So you know, it takes about a year for you to truly feel like yourself again. So the first half of the season, I felt like I didn't play my best.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: So going into the end of the season, you know, I played a lot better. And then I got the invite to the East West stron Bow and that gave me a lot of confidence at the end of the day too, because I knew when I went there, regardless of what happened in my past, I knew that I was going to go to the East West s tron Bow and be the best corner there and overwall person and player. So and I felt like I went there and I did exactly what I was supposed to do. And I feel like that played a big, big, big portion and part of how I'm in these seats today. For sure.
Speaker 4: Keith Trell Clark is our guests round six rookie out of Louisville. I mean, already you've had to contend with so many different type of receivers in this roster, right, you have the size of Michael Wilson, you have the strength of the Zach Pascal, you have the explosion and the speed of a Hollywood Brown Rondell Moore. How challenging is it just to play the position itself? Cornerback?
Speaker 6: Besides quarterback, I say, cornerback is probably the position right behind it. At the end of the day, you don't know where the wide receiver is going. They know they're route, you don't know it, and you're going backwards. I feel like your God and somebody running full speed at you backwards. And it takes the elite few to be able to do so. So man, I just say every single day that I step on the field, that's where it goes into your film study and to just studying the game. So it can make it easier for yourself when you step out there and all of the tributes that I have, as far as my speed and my strength and my explosion be able to be right there as well.
Speaker 4: Speaking to quarterbacks, it's hard not to notice you were number thirteen. Kurt Warner's name is on the Ring of Honor. It is at stay from Steve. How familiar are you with the quarterback Kurt Warner.
Speaker 6: I know here OG. I called him OG's, I know he has OG. I'm not gonna die too much into it, but I know I got some big shoes to feel.
Speaker 4: So I asked my Jay Sanders this time last year. I said, Okay, you're coming into the league. Which quarterback would you like to sack the most? He immediately said, Tom Brady.
Speaker 6: You can't do that no more.
Speaker 4: Which quarterback would you like to intercept the most in the NFL?
Speaker 6: Mm?
Speaker 4: Or is the receiver that you really would look forward to matching up against?
Speaker 6: Which quarterback? I'm gonna start with quarterback first, I say, I say Pat mahons for sure, he the best. You gotta go out to the best Pat Mahonmes. And then just guarding a wide receiver, can't wait to go against guys like Justin Jefferson Dotson over there at Washington.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: And sure, it's a long list of great wide receivers in this league.
Speaker 4: So what if coaches told you about your role Because in some regards, that cornerback room is wide open by all counts. And I've seen a lot of different guys running first team, including you. So when you get those sort of reps with the first team. I mean, how meaningful is that to you? And where do you think it might be tracking if you play the kind of ball you want to play.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my main thing is always controlling what I can't control. So as I talk to my coaches, they tell me, control what you can control and go out there and compete every single day, and at the end of training camp we'll see what the cars may lay. So it's nothing the pinpoint. Just know, if I'm out there and I'm competing and and I'm not giving up any explosive plays and I'm making plays, you know where that leads too.
Speaker 4: So so tell me about your battles with Michael Wilson, Key Troll Clark, is our guests here in the Big Red Rage, and or anyone else who I mean, who's keeping you honest out there when you go against the receivers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure it's Michael Wilson, of course. You know it's a rookie class. We came in together and we battle. Also, you know guys like ZP. Pascal, great wide receiver going against Rondelle, going against Hollywood, Greg Dertsch, the whole receiving core. Man, I feel like, they all make me better every time I line up against them because their whole work ethic and everything that they do off the field translates to on the field, and that makes me stay on top of my game and on my toes as well well.
Speaker 4: And this team is going to Minnesota for joint practices with the Vikings, so you'll see Justin Jefferson fouts out there in about three weeks or so, no doubt about it. All Right, Look we can measure your forty. You ran a four to four two. Look, you have the athleticism, there's no doubt. But when it comes to playing corner how about the mental side of it? Just the confidence, the fortitude, just the mental strength because every corner gets beat at some point exactly, So what do you tell yourself? How how critical is that to be in a successful cornerback? Just that mental fortitude.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So one thing that me and my pops will always talk about is the next play mentality. We talk about that for the game of football itself, and we talk about that for life. At the end of the day, it's just a next play mentality. If you give up a play, so what how you're gonna finish the game? That's really gonna matter. Okay, So that's that's the things that I when I go into the game. Of course, I hate to give up anything. I could give up a five yard route and be pissed. That's just the type of person I am, because I'm a competitor at the end of the day. But you got to focus on the next play. You're not gonna make every single play. There's no perfect player on that field. Even even the greats like Tom Brady has made mistakes. Even he has thrown interceptions, but he has also won Super Bowls too as well. In the same game he may have thrown an interception, you know. So it's not how you start, it's how you finish. And if you allow one play at the corner position to dictate how you're going to finish the game, then do you in the wrong position and you on the wrong field, and you ain't gonna win in life.
Speaker 4: Down the stretch, come with key Trot Clark, rookie Corner football is more than a job to you, isn't it. It? Get the sense I mean, you're really passionate about the sport.
Speaker 6: Definitely, Definitely, that's a game that I've been playing since I was six years old. I take heave to this, this game. It's my livelihood. Every single day that I walk in the building, I keep my energy high. I'm just excited to just be here. This is a blessing at the end of the day, so I take it. I don't never take advantage of it as well.
Speaker 4: You know, you've already separated yourself in one regard. We're not aware of any other NFL player who has his own photo gallery on an NFL team site. You were downtown and you help yourself to the camera with Caitlyn, the team photographer. Right, tell us about your photo gallery.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, that was amazing. So me and Caitlyn we connected when I first got here. You know how all the rookies come in and we just do our regular photos and our nice polo and you know, I came in the room with my great energy and I was just excited to be there, and they was like, man, out of everybody, you you were so excited to take these pictures. And I'm just like, man, I'm just happy to be here. And then next thing, you know, I just kept on coming around. I would go in their office and stuff and just dip them up and shake their hand, say how y'all doing today? And then it was like, you know what, I want to do something with you. I know that you like the camera. Let's go downtown and you know, kind of explore and I'll just teach you how to work the camera a little bit and you can get some great shots and I can put it in my little photo gallery and shoot. That was another great opportunity because you know, that's I'm gonna end up being a photographer one day. Maybe maybe on the side, just on the side while I'm still playing ball, I might still do it.
Speaker 4: That's great stuff. Key Troll Clark our guest here on the Big Red Rage. Let me ask you, because I've asked every player, rookie or vat has this coaching staff held you accountable yet?
Speaker 2: Have you had that moment?
Speaker 4: Zavin Collins said he was put on blast the first team meeting because he's breakfast. Kyle solely said yes, he has been called on in team meetings. He kind of got half the answer, didn't get the entire answer. How about you. Have you had that moment?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: And one thing on this staff is, like you said, they're gonna hold every player, every coach accountable, So at the end of the day. You gotta know it, know it. That's what JG always talked about. You don't just know what, you gotta know it, know it. So one day we was on special teams. Actually it was my first day out there, my first day out there, and I had ended up turning the wrong way. Coach JG comes out the blue key trail, turned the right freaking way. Man, he doesn't miss much, does it. Nah, he does not miss it. He does not miss it. And then after I turned the wrong way, I kind of jogged off. He was like, man, run back, run back. So I was like, ever since then, I just make sure that I'm on my p's and q's every time I step on the field, because somebody's watching head coach GM body is watching you when you step on that field, so you better make sure you know everything and correctly well.
Speaker 4: And we'll be watching as well from the radio booth and looking forward to every moment that you're just getting rolling. The most important thing to us is guys like you and Michael Wilson are money interviews. That's what the media loves. Okay, not only players, but great draft picks. When it comes to the media session, so that's just as valuable as anything.
Speaker 6: Anytime you need me, I'll be right here to interview with you. Whatever the fans want, any questions they got, I'm here.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 4: We continue, Key Troll Clark was our guest as Yes, we continue with a big red raid presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: What a good job at the point of attack right there and say like DJ Humphrey's got a nice block.
Speaker 2: DJ Humfrey's pumping his chest and his fist.
Speaker 11: It's been a culture shock. It ain't even benished. No graduate shift is shocked. You'd get with it to get go JG. Yeah, that's it. You know, you know you met him. It's either you're gonna be like that or you're gonna go home. It's that simple. It's that's that's really the mentality. Yeah, that's the mentality of it. So it's it makes it easy. And especially when you got older guys that me all the Buddha, all those guys that's buying into the system.
Speaker 2: You know what I meant, when you have your leaders that are.
Speaker 11: Falling into that mode, there's nobody that's behind you that's going to buck the system.
Speaker 2: When they see guys that me.
Speaker 11: Guys at Kwan Buddha that are falling into place and doing everything right, they're gonna they're gonna do the same thing.
Speaker 4: Get with it or get gone. Yep, it's part of hout d J. Jeffries described the new culture not a culture shipped, but a culture shot. What that hang for a minute? That really describes and summarises what's going on here at Cardinals Camp. As we wrap up this edition of The Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert, we are Santan Ford, Paul Calvic, Ron Wolfley Special thanks again to Key Troll Clark. I tell you what, every one of these guys we run into who have been brought in in the off season, almost every one of them has like the ninety ninth percentile when it comes to passion for the game. Key Troll Clark is one of those guys.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: The zach Pascals, the Kaizer Whites, all these guys were brought in for a re wolf and you just see, Okay, they fit what this new staff is trying to establish.
Speaker 2: Pollie, There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: What I saw out there today, I could not have drawn it out any better.
Speaker 2: If I had designed practice. Okay, there were selmer coms.
Speaker 1: Could I just tell you that they were working in rundown situation eighteen period where you've got eleven on eleven of course, and you're working rundown situation. Rundown is first and ten, second and one to six. Traditionally that's what rundown, classic rundown situation is in the National Football League, First and ten, Paully, second and one to six. What did they work on out there today? First and ten, second and one to six? And guess what when you get into the rundown situation that defines who you are as an offense. It does everybody throws the ball, paul When it's second in ten, everybody throws the ball. When it's third and eight, everybody throws the ball, Paulie. We all understand that, right. What about rundown situation that defines who you are as a team? Where's your quarterback? Number one? And when I say where's your quarterback? Is he under center? Is he in the shotgun, is he in the pistol, whatever it may be, where's your quarterback? Well, the Arizona Cardinals had their quarterback under center. I would say eighty five to ninety percent of the time that this happened. Yes, this team period. What what personnel groups are you in? That defines who you are as well? Well, you know what did the Arizona Cardinals. We're in a lot of twelve dare I say even thirteen personnel? So twelve personnel, one back, two tight ends. That seemed to be their mainstay, that was their base. And then they went one back, three tight ends, thirteen personnel often. Now did they put the quarterback into the gun from time to time? Yes, they did, of course they did. Did they go with eleven personnel and run down situation from time to time? Yes, they did that. Eleven personnel, one back, one tight end, three wide receivers. They did it all but eighty five percent one of the time they had that quarterback under center, eighty five percent of the time they were in twelve personnel in rundown situation. PAULI, what plays are you running? You're running the stretch. Of course, the outside play the tackle zone is what I call it, with a bootleg coming off of it, a waggle to the weak side coming off of it, of course, a straight setup in the pocket play action coming off of it, a seven step drop throwing the ball, attacking the middle of the field. You know what they were doing in run down situation. You want all of this to come together because what is the purpose of your scheme? Why are you doing it in run down situation? What is the purpose? The purpose is to attack the line of scrimmage and then use play action to throw the ball. You're gonna do one of those two things right there. And that's exactly what I saw the Arizona Cardinals working at nauseum on out there today. Paulie, this is a beautiful thing because it's one thing, as we all know, to sit there and give it lip service. We all knew this was coming. JG was talking about this. This is what we're gonna do. He's not gonna be in the shotgun, I can tell you that much all the time. He's gonna be under center from time to time. Drew Petsing saying, don't tell people he's gonna be under center from time to that. Right well, listen, you're not gonna trick anybody. This is the great thing about it. You're gonna x out execute people. That's what you're gonna do right there. If you're gonna run this scheme, They're gonna have to guess that second level of the linebackers.
Speaker 2: Did he hand it off? Did he not hand it off? Who does he have the ball? Does he not?
Speaker 1: And Man, I'm telling you what, you got him right where you want him at that point in time. What I saw out there today was the beginning of a very physical culture shock that is gonna happen to this offense.
Speaker 4: You know what else we saw, correct me if I'm wrong. Saw play action and you saw play action hit home. Yes, against the Cardinals defense eleven on eleven. You saw Rondell Moore twice, big strike, saw play action, Pascal downfield, Yes, Hollywood Brown had a nice catch. They were targeting the tight ends. It's amazing how much more effective the downfield pass game is when the defense has to respect the run. And DJ Humphrey's doumbing it down for US media types. When asked about the offense, he said, you know what, We're just doing a lot better job in this scheme of keeping defenses. Honest.
Speaker 1: Yes, PAULI the very worst team in the National Football League in yards per attempt last year throwing the ball the Arizona Cardinals. They did not throw the ball down the field, and this is where they have to improve the most. And this is what running the ball and attacking the line of scrimmage in a north south kind of way, this is what's going to allow Kyler Murray eventually and allow their quarterback whoever it is, Colt McCoy going forward to take shots down the field. It opens up an awful lot on that play action stuff, especially Pauli, across.
Speaker 2: The middle of the field.
Speaker 1: And you look today how many times a completed pass using play action across the middle of the field. Because guess what, that's where those two inside linebackers line up. They suck up to the line of scrimmage because they think you're running the ball. Now, all of a sudden, that secondary has got a problem because there's a lot of room behind those guys, a lot of room over the middle of the field to throw the ball.
Speaker 4: And look, that's the way this team is going to compete this year. Not only do I think it's the DNA and it's the scheme period, but I think gives them the best chance to compete this year. Because if you're gonna be talent deficient, yes, then guess what, you better be physical? You better keep these defenses honest, you better have a ball control offense that's going to keep the other offense off the field. To me, this is their best chance to compete. So when Jonathan Gannon says repeatedly, what are the three words adapt or die, Yeah, I think it's currently constructed. This is their best chance to compete right here, right now.
Speaker 1: Paully, It's all going to be on the line of scrimmage right now. And that's why my biggest concern going forward. We've talked about this many times, but it's on the defensive side of the ball, the defensive line and being able to stop the other team from lining up and just running the ball. That is going to be That is going to be job number one for this defense going forward. Job number one is going to be stopping the run. You absolutely have got to do it. It's on the line of scrimmage still. This rebuild is on the line of scrimmage for the Arizona Cardinals offensively and defensively.
Speaker 4: Paul, Look, it was one hundred and fifteen degrees again today we just set a new record for a total number of days in a year, one fifteen or more. So you know what, you need to do. You need to come out to Cardinals camp. You really do. You need to go to Easycardinals dot Com, Slash camp ticks, camp tix, get your digital tickets, coming out, free parking, free access, coming out to back together weekend on Saturday. Enjoy the ac in a little football.
Speaker 1: Not only that too, bully enjoy. I don't know people yelling on a football field. What a beautiful thing that is right there, not only players, but of course coaches yelling, and sometimes they're yelling at each other, and sometimes they're yelling at players, and sometimes players are yelling at players.
Speaker 2: It's a great thing.
Speaker 4: See you next week on The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert Number one Pilot.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcasts. This has been an exclusive presentation of Arizona Cardinals football Talk.