Speaker 1: You found Fantasy Football Weekly Micro a deep dive on one player in just five to ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Now here's your host, Paul Chargian. It's Fantasy Football Weekly Micro editioned Paul Charchian and Tyler KINABELEI with you super excited about today's subject.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you like a little Deontay Johnson.
Speaker 2: I'm super excited about tomorrow's player. Today's player is a little less exciting. Deontay Johnson. Hard to muster a ton of enthusiasm here. Even by by wide receiver one standards, there's only a couple of guys I think I'm less interested in than Deontay Johnson for a team's number one wide receiver. But let's play it out. Let's do a deep dive on him, find out what we like, what we don't like.
Speaker 3: All right, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Uh finish says the wide receiver twenty eight last season in total points and total points was the wide receiver forty three though in average points per game, So one of those beneficiaries who is that's a little flavor. You just look at the points because he played and I think get in all seventeen games, which is great from an injury standpoint. But didn't do much in those games. I mean, he's currently going off the board is why does he wear thirty six? And the big thing with Deontay Johnson was he had zero touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Last week, which obviously, you know, he's never been a big touchdown guy, but yeah, obviously he'll score more than zero next year.
Speaker 1: This is the one guy the regression bros love. Oh, I bet everyone who talks about he's due for aggressions whatever, standard deviation, whatever those fancy words are.
Speaker 2: The mean, Yes, yeah, that's what I was looking for. Yes, So I think there's probably some people just look at well, he gets he gets all. He's a big part of this offense. The ball gets in his hands a lot, and eventually good things will happen, would be the thinking, Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's definitely the thinking and the case to like you said, going off that, the case to make for Deontay was he finished sixth in targets last season, which considering he finished.
Speaker 2: As why receiver thirty or whatever forty.
Speaker 3: Three average points per game, how do you it just doesn't make sense for me and.
Speaker 2: Zero efficiency with all the zero all those targets.
Speaker 1: He was also numbered nine in routes run number ten red zone targets, no touchdowns, and he he was number two with an unrealized air yards What that.
Speaker 2: Down unrealized What is unrealized air yards?
Speaker 1: So it takes your air yards, which is the mount the yards traveled the ball in the air to like when you on the target. So we had fifteen fifteen hundred air yards and they subtract it from his actual receiving yards. So basically on targeted ball. So like Kyle Pitts is a really high UH air yard stat because he was targeted on a lot of balls like deep down the field, and but he did he catch you didn't catch them because Marcus Mariota is not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's a problem here too because pick it also does not look like an NFL start.
Speaker 1: So he had eight hundred and seventy two unrealized area. So it's pretty much just how many yards he could have got. Yes, pretty much the stat.
Speaker 2: Had the balls been thrown accurately, maybe the coverage wasn't as good. Had he caught all the balls that he could have, he would have had fifteen you know, he would have had fifteen hundred area at fifteen hundred yards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the caseke is that maybe he catches more balls for some little bit more yards.
Speaker 3: But as we noted, the efficiency is just is not there.
Speaker 1: So his ad on his average depth of target, he was number fifty three among white is he.
Speaker 2: That is a killer for wide receivers. Now you're catching the ball at and around the line of scrimmage, you are not a fantasy factor.
Speaker 1: Yep, yards after catch number forty seven and he played seventeen games. That isn't a yards per like per catch, just like just a total amount of yards.
Speaker 2: And he break tackles. He's not elusive. He does not make people miss. He's not a yat guy.
Speaker 1: He was number fifty two in yards per route run and he was number eighty three in contested catch rate. He also had nine drops, good for second most.
Speaker 2: You know, I feel like what we're doing here is we're making a case for a breakout season for George Picktens. Is what we're doing here is what I feel like this has headed. Kenny Pickett is a problem to my eyes. He is a backup grade starter who was taken in the first round two drafts ago out of just sheer desperation when the team had to find a starter and to replace Ben Roethlisberger. You know, he gave us twelve starts last year. Kenny Pickett did. He had seven touchdowns in twelve starts. He never had two touchdowns in a single game out of twelve starts. No explosiveness, no downfield explosiveness whatsoever from Kenny Pickett. Now it's here too. He'll be better. But man, I just didn't see the traits. So you know what you're looking for a rookie quarterback, even if it doesn't materialize in the box scores, you want to see some special throws that make people go man. If he can expand on that trait, he's gonna really do something in the NFL. I didn't see anything that I could I could hitch my wagon to with Kenny Pickett that make me go wow. Year two, he's gonna be a lot better because he's gonna get better at this part of his game. And I think that's gonna take down Deontay Johnson as well. To get back to Deontay Johnson, I don't think that helps here either.
Speaker 1: I agree, And it's just you mentioned the change. What is going to change this year where Deontay Johnson just propels into this this next tier of guys.
Speaker 3: It's the same.
Speaker 1: He has the same oc that Literally, I think every Steelers fan absolutely hates in Matt Canada.
Speaker 3: I feel like I've heard tell you everything because Steelers.
Speaker 1: Fans are big on Twitter, they love Twitter, and it's just Matt Canada slander every single game.
Speaker 3: I'm just it's just not good.
Speaker 1: George Pickens, we mentioned it probably going to be more involved this year, considering as his rookie year last year, He's going to be more involved this year.
Speaker 2: And they got to know. I mean, you're the coaching staff of the Steelers, you're Matt Canada. You go back, you watch your tape of last year, you go, well, why were we throwing all those balls? So a guy who does nothing with them, we gotta change this up. I think they're gonna learn some lessons from this. And I've I'm walk I walked away from this. Deontay Johnson exercise more enthusiastic about George Pickens honestly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Alan Robinson's also in town, which I mean, I know, I know we saw last season. I know we lost last SEU season, but it's just another It's it's at least another name, so it's not I wouldn't say it's good for Deontay Johnson. It also feels like Pat friarm Youth, so just in terms of red zone goal line options, because people are talking about the touchdowns are going to go up, But all these guys I would take just on the goal line, they're all more red zone threats than Deontay Johnson. We got Pat fryarm Youth, big red zone for sure.
Speaker 2: Guardy already carved that out in two years.
Speaker 1: Najie Harris, George Pickens, and even if they used, if Darna Washington get established in this offense, he's a better red zone guy than Deontay Johnson is too.
Speaker 2: So I totally agree that there's just there's not a lot to like here.
Speaker 3: So it's so the question I'm asking is what am I missing that? Why is he going at wild?
Speaker 2: I know the regression guys who love him, but I'm just I'm out on Deontay Johnson. We know who he is and there's zero upside for this. The only format where Deontay Johnson makes any sense to me is a guillotine league. Yeah, and early, only early in the season, because in your guillotine league, you're just looking for guys who don't give you dud games. Deontay Johnson is always catching four or five balls, six ball, seven balls, doesn't do it anything with them, So it's like sixty yards, but five catches sixty yards is an eleven point PPR game, and that's good enough to give me, not cut. So the only format where I feel like deoncey J. Johnson helps me is an early season guillotine league where I'm gonna get the sure catches and the sure usage, assuming that they do keep going back to him at this level. But otherwise I'm out on this guy.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: By the way, play your guillotine leagues at guillotine leagues dot com. Private leagues, public leagues however you like to play your guillotine league. Got a bunch of different styles options for your private league, or you can join a public contest as well, play with others, win some prizes. Okay, let's play the ADP. Game's going off at wide Receiver thirty six, and I can already tell you, not even looking at the list, I already like everybody else better.
Speaker 3: All right, yeah, so are you still gonna go through it? Or sure? I just do it? Mike Evans, why is he were thirty four?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And this is down as You've never been able to get Mike Evans that he cheap as cheaply as this, and I feel like they've dripped. He's actually a bye at wide receiver thirty six, So I'm taking Evans for sure. I get touchdown upside if nothing else.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Jordan Addison, why is he were thirty five?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll bank on the rookie being uh being an instant splash in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Adam You know how Adam Feelin had the second most routees ran last season too, and he's seemingly just gonna step right into that role.
Speaker 2: He he is gonna step into that role.
Speaker 3: Yep. I'm with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm taking Yeah, I'm taking every guy over Deonta Johnson, but let's go through it.
Speaker 3: Cadarius Tony, why does he were thirty seven?
Speaker 2: Right? So, Kadarius Tony has done nothing in his career to deserve to be wide receiver thirty seven, but right now he is the go to wide receiver under Patrick Mahomes led offense. Now, in the past, that hasn't always meant anything. Look at last year. Jujus Smiths Schuster I guess was the go to. I He was not even startable for half of the year. You know, half his games were just dud games. So, but Cadarius Tony can be electric after the catch, and so I'll take Cadarius Tony and just hope he stays healthy for two thirds of the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just all these guys.
Speaker 1: There is even more upside too, Like, yeah, I think Kadarius Tony might have a lower floor than Deonday Johnson, but way it does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed, all right, Treylon Burks, why is you a thirty eight?
Speaker 2: Hopefully better in year two? I mean last year was a disaster. Hopefully this will be better. Yep, I'll bank on a year two receiver over Deontay Johnson.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: It's cruel, We're down, it's but this is this is a tough game. We're not here to make friends, Tyler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely not.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to Fantasy Football Weekly. Back tomorrow with more and a much more compelling wide receiver, a guy I'm I love buying low on this season. Coming up tomorrow in Fantasy Football Weekly. Micro addition, we will talk to you then, everybody, Bye bye. Fantasy Football Weekly is a production of iheartrate. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.