Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hell that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edith Steak is that woo woom?
Speaker 2: And Dean and Tye welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is ty Hildenbrand, joining me as always over there in beautiful Chicago, Illinois, the one, the only Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good man? One episode after I said you're going Illinois, you just flip it. You're really keeping me on my edge of my seat. You got to keep it in your toes. I love it. I'm pretty good. It's sunny day, It's gonna be sunny. Heer. Later in the week, I've been playing some tennis. I find myself having to make runs to drug stores before playing tennis. In anticipation of our washed List twenty twenty one, which can we do that? Is that a plant of the show we can do in July when like the Groza and Ray Guy and Doku watch lists come out ahead of the season. I think there's plenty more on that bone in terms of washed up things that people can submit and we can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'll say washed being things that indicate that you are washed up.
Speaker 1: This morning and that we're going to get to our show. I promise I'm not going to derail any further this morning because I don't eat during the morning. I wait until about noon. Every day. I just eat two meals a day, and I just feel better doing that. I debated, like, oh, should I make myself some eggs or something because I am so sore and I know you're not supposed to take advil on an empty stomach. And that's where I was this morning, scrambled eggs for advil. Welcome to the show. Welcome to the show. I am tie. He is.
Speaker 2: Dansolidverbal dot Com is our website. Don't forget to go on out to all the social platforms dan you know them. It's Twitter, it's Facebook, it's Instagram. We've got a YouTube channel. We've been posting content out there also verballers dot com. Hello, welcome to all of our new Verbal all of our new Patreon subscribers. We do post some bonus content out there again at for ballers dot com. We have an off topic show coming up which you check out if you go on out to Verballers dot com that will be dropping I guess later this week.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, yeah, what's the topic. We have not figured that out yet. We're recording this a little bit earlier. The master list to choose from, but no, we haven't landed on what we want to do.
Speaker 2: Also solid Verbal at gmail dot com if you have anything that you'd like to get off your chest, like to write in, like to tell us, like to give us feedback.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, you know the drill. Follow along on all of your.
Speaker 2: Podcasting apps of choice. If you are ever so inclined, please do leave a review. As we start pushing into July, Dan, that's what we're going to start. Talking preview content. So yes, despite the fact that we did a So Now What series where we look back at twenty twenty, despite the fact that we're doing the Hard Cell mini series now where we're comparing and contrasting some recruiting rivals. Before long, we're going to be into the real teeth of the preseason, talking all things preview time. I'm very excited for that. We're not there yet. Trying to contain myself, contain myself, I do doing my best to not get excited about what feels like is seemingly trending towards more of a normal season. So fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's what it sounds like. I did see my home state fully opened up today. Dodger Stadium is going to be fully open for a game tonight, so you know, I'm feeling the vibes tie. However, many thousands of miles away, I'm feeling good things in the air, good favors we were not able to say for a long time there. So I'm really excited and hopeful and optimistic on that same page as you are. All right, let's get to our show, all right, Dan, you know we're calling this the hard sell miniseriies, No, you did not score that, and wear your Phineas hat. What is that from? Again? Super Nintendo College Football of some kind? I found it? What was that game? Made me like trying to remember, like, what was that game? Look it up for you, SNS college football. Google dot com is always your friend. It does not, Rea Bill College Football USA ninety seven. Oh yeah. Or there's another one called Ncuba Football. So it's one of those, but it's not an NCAA football with a year. It's you can have it for between three and twelve dollars on eBay. Are you inclined? I don't know, but wow, those are your options. I mean, it looks like the NC double A one has a license. I'm looking at, you know, Clemson as a visiting team against South Carolina College Football ninety seven unclear, but it looks like a maybe a Tommy Fraser on front. Oh that's a game A. Yeah, it's the precursor. So I don't know. It's fun fun to me, and that's all that matters.
Speaker 2: Here is the deal, hard Sell is about you taking a team, me taking a team, each of us recruiting on behalf of a school, trying to pull in a fictitious player. Last time around, we had Gunner Simpson. He was a five star quarterback recruit out of suburban Atlanta. I think the jury has spoken and Gunner Simpson is the newest commit to the Georgia Bulldogs.
Speaker 1: Is that true? I think that's what I'm finding out. Congrats to Gunner and his future transfer to wherever he ends up. But that's awesome. Good for him. Actually, I have no decision.
Speaker 2: Most people who wrote in said that they thought you want They thought I did a good job. But they did a more difficult spot. They could not get past the fact that you are in is just you just have more to work with. And so with that being said as the backdrop, I feel like I am in a similar position today because we're going to be recruiting an edge rusher, a defensive end. I'm going to recruit on behalf of Ohio State. You're going to recruit on behalf of your beloved Michigan.
Speaker 1: Wolverines, Dan Come Blue. Yeah, no, that's absolutely correct. The only ground rule I want to get out ahead of is in figuring out how to recruit against you and to sell Michigan and to you know, bring up certain things about Ohio State. I decided I'm not using anything against you from what you said last episode, Like I'm not using anything you said in terms of like, oh, this is an important thing for Georgia, and now turning around and saying, well, you said this was important for Georgia, but now you're not saying it's Ohio State. This is completely independent. So I'm not doing that. I don't know if that's a code you're living by, but I am taking each episode in a total vacuum, taking life a quarter mile at a time. Am I saying that because our roles have been reversed? Who's to say? Who's to say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I came into our last recruiting battle with the reverse Michelle Obama, which I told you about.
Speaker 1: When I go how, you go low.
Speaker 2: And I try to do that. I think I did it to great effect this time around. I'm not even going to engage. Man, why should I bother with Michigan if I'm Ohio State? Are you just gonna be a marshall about you?
Speaker 1: Okay? So you're just gonna be like, I'm just here so I don't get fined. I'm just here because we're Ohio State. Is that how you're going to retort everything? I mean, they've won the last eight meetings in the game. It's getting to the point now, I hate to say this, it's getting to the point now where it's almost not even a rivalry.
Speaker 2: I know they've got it on the wall of the of the Woody Hayes Athletic Complex, but it's getting to the point. A rivalry requires some give and take. There's been no will take, should been a'll give. I'll give to Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Dan, So I don't feel the need to really go low to negatively recruit Michigan. I think it's cute that you are also in the market for our defensive and who we've named him Chase Chase right, Chase Chase a combination a portmanteau of Chase Winovich and Chase Young to noted ed rushers of the past few years at both of these schools. Do we go double Chas or just Chase Chazz Nose Chaz is only for Charlie, Charles Chuck, Chase Chase. And also that's what ed rushers do, right, So we're quite literally defining our player's name by what he does, which is chase down quarterbacks. It's a very literal name. So Chase Chase. Where is he from? What's his deal? Chase is from neither Michigan nor Ohio. Will say he's from the Chicago burbs to be local to me, has no allegiance to Illinois, has no allegiance to Northwestern Iowa, Indiana. Anybody in the Big Ten is sought after from teams all over the country. And in terms of distance, I think it's like five hours to Columbus in maybe four hours to Michigan. So nothing dramatically different and I can answer any specifics about I don't know Niles High School or Evanston High or Stevenson High or Deerfield High glen Coe which I think glen Coe goes to New Trier. So I can answer any of those questions if you really want to get granular with the suburb. But yeah, there's no, He's not a legacy of either school. He doesn't have teammates going to one of those programs. He doesn't have some sort of connection to Ryan Day or Jim Harbaugh or any position coach. He is being sought out by the best and has narrowed it to two of the big ten powers in Michigan and Ohio State.
Speaker 2: What do we know about him as a player and he comps anything we should be aware.
Speaker 1: Of about six four five kind of ideal size and weight whatever going into college where you know he has a great frame and can put on a little bit more muscle, put on a little bit more bulk as I would say, ideally to get him up to like, you know, between two sixty and two seventies, where I think the NFL likes their ends and rush ends whatever and outside linebacker edge types. So somewhere in there he's fast, he's lean like good, he carries his weight well, has some moves coming into college, but isn't you know, he's still a high school or he's not you know, doesn't have counter moves and doesn't hasn't perfected his swim or his rip and dip or anything like that. But you can see the potential there because of what he is physically. He plays on the basketball team, he runs track like. He is everything you're looking for in an athlete of that size entering into college.
Speaker 2: Chase chase, chase, chase. He's sort of like amole or a specimen, a five star from suburban Chicago, no allegiance to anybody, and so that presents a very obvious opening for the Ohio State Buckeys.
Speaker 1: Dan Look.
Speaker 2: Ohio State competes for a national championship every season. Every season. If you go to Ohio State, you're all but guaranteed the experience, at a minimum of being in the College Football Playoff and to showcase your skills on the biggest possible stage in the sport. It's undeniable. Ohio State has been in the playoff four out of the seven years. Undeniable. If you come to Ohio State, if you step foot in the SeaBus Dan, there's an utter certainty that at least once you're going to have an opportunity to play on that big stage. Additionally, Ohio State in addition to the pomp and circumstance and the great stadium, Ohio Stadium, and the Horseshoe, in addition to the great athletic facilities where they've got sleep pods and cryogenic freezers and all sorts of exciting stuff. They have fifty players in the NFL. Fifty players in the NFL. It's only six players behind Alabama, who everybody regards as the true football factory in college football. Ohio State's right there. They're getting close. Ohio State knows how to get its top talent ready for the next level, especially at the defensive end position. And I could talk more about this later, but defensive ends defensive linemen under the tutelage of one Larry Johnson senior, who had a long story career at Penn State before moving west to Ohio State. This is a guy who knows how to coach with his talent, get the most out of his talent. So if you're Chase, Chase, if you're six', four if you're looking to put on some, muscle if you're trying to develop your, moods you're trying to get to the, league and if you're trying to do so on a big, STAGE i don't see how you could go anywhere else else other Than Ohio. State your move is that the full pitch for? Now there's more where that came. From But i'd like interesting to give you an. Opportunity i'm not going to talk for eight minutes like you, did and you're trying to Recruit Gunner. Simpson this is the last Time i'll harken back to that previous, show but continue after.
Speaker 1: You my, Friend, NO i think that was it was dripping with a little bit of arrogance that there's nowhere else to go But Ohio's Confidence Confidence Chase chase says to, HIMSELF i should check out all sorts of places and compare them to each. Other and Here's Ohio state kind of exuding a little bit of. Paranoia is that What i'm sensing? Here that there's nowhere? Else you? KNOW a confidence school, says go look. Around we're confident that we are going to beat anybody out in terms of what we. Offer but that's not WHAT i hear From Ohio. State that's. Wild. Tie it's an interesting. Tactic i'll give you.
Speaker 2: That fifty players in THE nfl exudes a lot of. Confidence, Dan you sure we don't need to do a whole lot of selling because the program essentially sells. Itself if you want to go out and, look if you want a window, shop, yeah you're gonna go to Ann, arbor go to a, deli whatever whatever they do up. There, sure, fine it's, fine it's. Fine but eventually we Know Chase chase is coming back to the sea.
Speaker 1: BUS i just really don't like you saying the sea. Bus that's really this is Just dan editorializing. Here separate from This michigan selling. Point, Okay, NO i, Mean Ohio state has built up such a huge recruiting, department and it seems like a. Waste if the school just sells, itself you know, it it appears there is some element of you need to spend a lot of money and compete with some of the best schools around the country Because Ohio state needs to do more than just sell. Itself they need the humans to. Sell. NO i think it's a totally good. Point Ohio state has done a fantastic job developing, players finding themselves in position to get slow ottered in The College Football playoff and normally IN bcs championship. Games that's. Okay Ohio state is the premier program at least for. Now at least for. Now but What i'm saying right now in terms Of, michigan Because i'm choosing not to go too, low at least not. Yet in terms Of, Michigan michigan's program is a proud program that has a high standard for itself that it has not met. Recently we are going to be the first people to tell you that we have a high standard and we have not met. It we are proud of the players that we've developed along the defensive. Line a great job you talk, about you know, upfront edge, rushers defensive Lineman rashaan Gary, quitty Pay Taco charlton Josh ucha was drafted pretty. Highly Like. Michigan if there's no other, position it's the defensive, line it's the front, seven it's the edge rushers that have gone on to THE nfl and succeed. It, now one of the interesting things to me is despite not hitting our, standard which we are always striving to surpass our. Standard That michigan is fifth in college football in terms of current players ON nfl, rosters, fifth that's pretty. Good it doesn't match with our. Results we're always looking to get. Better but we're talking about more Than, georgia more Than Penn, State, Miami, Clemson Notre, Dame, OKLAHOMA Usc. TEXAS a lot of schools find themselves Beneath michigan and there's a reason for. That we here At, michigan we develop, players particularly along the defensive, line and it just so happens that it's not just about football. Here, yes we're bringing you here to play. Football yes we're bringing you here to develop into a championship caliber defensive. Lineman but at the same, time you're going to college in Ann. ARBOR i would say it's the best college town In. America if anybody's been to Ann arbor on A saturday morning in the, fall they know that there's nothing quite like big time college football town, wise just like Ann arbor is it's just a, fact And columbus is. Not But columbus is a. City, columbus you're pushing a million And arbor one hundred and twenty, thousand it's what you. Want it's a, growing vibrant college. Town the, academics it's the number three public university in the. Country, now NORMALLY i wouldn't sell you too hard on academics because we are recruiting you to play. Football i'm just, saying if you come at it from a three sixty holistic, viewpoint got to Be michigan's a no brainers gotta be. Holistic now you look at some of the alumni that have come From. Michigan, sure There's hall Of FAME nfl, players there's all PRO nfl, players pro, bowlers you know, THEM i know. Them but in terms of the complete package of attending The university Of, michigan, again football is the. Priority but even above that priority is football and football and we want to. Win we have a high. Standard we just changed our defensive. Coordinator Don brown is off To. Arizona we Hired mike, McDonald one of the brightest young minds for one of the best defenses in THE, nfl coming in to rearrange and reshape. RESHIP i don't know if that's a. Term our, defense and the focal point is that edge rusher point this year Is Aiden. Hutchinson and moving, forward it will be, You Chase. Chase you will see the field, early you will get those invaluable game. Reps but you're doing all of it in Ann, arbor a college town's second to. None the, food the, culture the nightlife once you're twenty, one the, bars the. Everything it's a ton of attractive. People if you're into attractive. People and, Listen, Ty i've got some names for you BECAUSE i mentioned that three sixty holistic alumni base has to Be come, ON, ti we're talking about the founder Of, Google Larry. Page we're talking about the guy who Started, borders WHOSE nass name Is, borders it actually Is Louis borders and his, Brother John, delaurian you might be familiar with, him got HIS nba At michigan iggy, pop a punk rock, legend Pioneer. Madonna Lawrence kasden wrote a couple movies by the name Of Star. Wars Tie James Earl, jones who was in Fact Darth, vader did the voice Of Darth. Vader lucy Lou is in Every netflix romantic. Comedy Gerald ford played For Michigan. Football Gerald ford is huge with today's eighteen year. Olds everybody cannot get enough of Old Jerry. Ford we know, This David Alan, greer all sorts of names and all different types of industries and. Businesses michigan is the place to go from becoming a boy recruit into a man champion. Graduate now we need players Like Chase chase to become champions because we have not again gotten to our, standard but we are getting. There we are on the, way and we develop defensive. Linemen the defensive linemen are the, core are the rock solid core of What michigan football. Does and you will play, early you will see the, field and you work, hard and you're going to get drafted, highly just like those who came before. You did you know THAT. R. L stein went To Ohio? STATE i have. THAT i HAVE. R. L stein And Richard. Lewis so you can be either you can be in robinhood men in, tights or you could be the Next, Goosebumper Kirk, Curvestreet Clark, Kellogg george st. I'mbrender it's all just, sports, sports, sports. Sports there's more to. Life tie all, Right, well look that was.
Speaker 2: CUTE i appreciate where you're coming from with, that and you are right In arbor's a fine college, town great place to spend your college. YEARS i do like the fact that in your hard sell you openly acknowledged the fact That michigan has not been meeting its own.
Speaker 1: Standard, no, really Because i'm you know, what we're. Not i'm not here to blow. Smoke, Tie i'm going to, You i'm not. Either i'm not.
Speaker 2: Either if you come To Ohio state where, again we've had fifty players in THE. Nfl, sure where we've had three defensive ends drafted in the top three of the last SIX nfl, drafts And Joey, Bosa Nick bosa And Chase young another, Namesake Chase. Young these are guys who develop their skills under, Again Larry, Brown Larry. Johnson excuse, me, SENIOR i Prefer Larry brown developing different. Coach, yeah don't have to blow. Smoke that's in the public. Record Ryan day twenty three and two as a head coach is only two losses were in the. Postseason, again these are. Numbers this isn't stuff That i'm making. Up this isn't anything other than cold hard.
Speaker 1: Facts. Right look at. Recruiting recruiting is a little bit more, subjective but across the, board recruiting has been, very very. Strong you can.
Speaker 2: Learn what it's like to play with and AGAINST nfl talent every day in.
Speaker 1: Practice every day in.
Speaker 2: Practice you're not going to find that level of competition on your own.
Speaker 1: Team on other. Teams if you go to a school like A michigan Or Michigan state wherever Else Chase chase might be, looking don't compare. That you can play for a national championship every. Year AS i said, Earlier Ohio state has made the playoff for the last seven. Years you can play for A Big ten championship seemingly every. Year Ohio state's won four titles in a row and five in the last seven, Years so you always have an opportunity to compete for a bigger. Trophy, PLUS i KNOW i pooh poohed. It MAYBE i was being a little bit over the. Top you can play in the biggest rivalry in sports and be on the winning side of that. Rivalry how good must that feel to be on The Ohio state side to know that you've got eight in a row in the bag and seventeen of the last twenty against The Michigan. Wolverines.
Speaker 2: Dan if you want to be part of the, RIVALRY i can assure you it's better to be on the winning side of that. Rivalry and no matter how Well michigan does, Recruiting Jim harbaugh still can't Beat Ohio.
Speaker 1: STATE i like that you you listed a number of players who are drafted high because you're just you're going to be, next not a long, List and that's terrific if that's the place you want to. Be but AS i, know having recruited a number of top flight players here To, MICHIGAN i see the same trait in all of, them and that's that desire to be the. Best and in order to be the, best tie you have to beat the. Best and they. Haven't they just. Haven't they haven't. Beaten, no we have not met our standard here At. Michigan but What i'm doing Is i'm challenging, You, Chase, chase to be that difference maker for The Michigan. Wolverines the feeling you get from becoming the next, guy maybe sitting a couple of years and you, know standing out in, practice whatever it, is there's you, know there's all sorts of reasons to Choose Ohio. State we're getting you on the field in this rivalry. Game you're not a rotation. Guy you're not a pass rush. Specialist if you show out in, practice if you work, hard you will. Play if you beat out, guys there are open positions across the. Field we did not meet our, standard and every position is. Open that means you can come. In you learn the, playbook you hit the, weights you listen to your. Coaches you're. Playing we're not guaranteeing you, anything but we're guaranteeing you a. Shot we're absolutely guaranteeing you a. Shot AND i did happen to watch some of the tape on your basketball, games on those track, MEETS i see athleticism THAT i think we can find a place for you on special, teams maybe running a fake, punt maybe getting into the red. Zone what about? Quarterback what about? Quarterback, no, no THAT'S i, mean we here At michigan live in. Reality But i'm saying you can get on the field for this. Offense and with your, length with your, height with your, athleticism we got packages for you near the red. Zone we absolutely can make use of your. Athleticism this is it would be a no brainer to keep you on the. Field you get the best athletes on the team there those. Situations maybe that four minute offense at the end of. Games can use your athleticism and your, size your. Aggression there's a tantalizing amount that we can do with you to, maximize provided you're, healthy provided you're, Willing we see, big big Things in turn of your usage for The Michigan wolf rains your.
Speaker 2: Usage, yeah, usage great recruiting. TERMINOLOGY i, LOOK i appreciate your, Pitch, Dan, SURE i appreciate what we're trying to.
Speaker 1: Do but we're talking goosebumps. Potential, yeah you're punching up a little. Bit you have, TO i get.
Speaker 2: It i'm not going to do the novelty. Bit i'm not going to do the novelty. Bit hey you could play in the. Wildcat hey you could be in the, Backfield hey you could score a.
Speaker 1: Touch i'm not going to do. That, no it SOUNDS i want to hasn't. Prepared do you want to play for a championship and do you want to get paid to play in THE. Nfl that's my. Pitch if those things are both, true then come To Ohio. State come To Ohio. State not to mention all of the stuff THAT i said earlier about how the proof is in the pudding with this, program how it can show, out it can put guys in the.
Speaker 2: League they've got premier, facilities the just a. Dated new recruits love cool. Facilities The Woody Hayes Athletic center got a seven million dollar renovation a couple of years. Ago right, there front and center a huge wall dedicated specifically to this. Rivalry it includes photos from past games of video highlight reel like you know how we joke about things being on loop all year. Long they have. That they built that specifically to get folks ready for The michigan. Game it's that big of a. Rivalry and of course it has the. Countdown you need the countdown clock so that everybody knows what they're playing. For you got that front stage center to keep you focused on the task at. Hand not to mention all the state of the art training. FACILITIES i mentioned the cryogenic. Chamber they've got a, Sauna they've got anything you could possibly, imagine a golden tea big buck, hunter like all the cool stuff that you need to wind down after a hard day out on the practice, field getting yourself ready for the task at. Hand so facilities are not an. Issue facilities are only going to help amplify your. Abilities it's never going to get in your. Way, obviously you're going to have an opportunity to play against the best every day in, practice and then when you finally do get out, there guess. What your facilities At Ohio stadium aren't any less, cool.
Speaker 1: Not even.
Speaker 2: Close The, horseshoe an iconic venue in college, FOOTBALL dan a listed capacity of one hundred and four thy nine hundred and forty. FOUR i understand that that's not as much as The Big. House that's, Fine but the way we see, it would you not rather have like one hundred and five thousand really, satisfied really happy fans who cheer on a team that they know is going to, win as opposed to one hundred and ten thousand disappointed fans who know that every time they step foot in the stadium they're probably going to come out wondering is this another eight and four? YEAR i want to be on the side of The. HORSESHOE i want to be among the one hundred and five thousand screaming. Fans sometimes they can pack it in with one hundred and ten two sharing on the. GAME i want you to be on that field when you've got that crowd cheering your, name rooting you, on knowing that you're gonna be the next great thing and that your team is pointed directly towards the national. Championship i'm telling, you you step onto the field at The Big, House Michigan, Stadium you're going to be a difference. Maker and that difference Is you're a player that we, need that we have, developed that we will continue to develop to be a difference maker in this rivalry. Game, now obviously we are dozens strong At michigan pointing towards the same, goal which is winning every, game Beating Ohio state into the. Ground but we need difference makers because there has not been a difference in the results these past few, years which is unacceptable here at The university Of. Michigan, NOW i hear a lot.
Speaker 1: About, football this, facility this, horseshoe This i'm talking, football And i'm talking football. Development i'm talking about the entire college part of the college. Experience Jim harbaugh is big on. This, Now Jim harbaugh has not met his standard as a head. Coach Coach harbaugh has gone back to the drawing board to get back to his, standard renegotiated the, contract went down a little. Bit so he is hungry like you are. Hungry he is hungry like the team is hungry to change things and flip this car. AROUND i don't know if that's a worthy. Analogy we are ready to flip the script on what was a disappointing twenty twenty and that begins not early on In, september doesn't begin in fall. Camp that begins on the recruiting trail to find players on the same, page those hungry players to flip that, script who want to get into the weight, room who want to get training In, January, February. March and that's what we see in. You we see a hungry player desperate to be a difference make and to build his own name at The university Of. Michigan that's what we. See that's what we. See we're making. Changes you, Know Sean newis done a fantastic job along the defensive, line helped to develop SOME nfl. Players you Mentioned Larry, johnson another terrific. Coach we hear A michigan believe that you are a great fit for. Us Jim harbaugh has coached in A Super, bowl he has been a SUCCESSFUL nfl. Coach he has that ability to see in players what they need to develop for the next. Level and it keeps happening. Again michigan the fifth largest representative represented school on the list of MOST nfl, players on the list of teams that have the most ACTIVE nfl. Players there's a reason for that those who Leave michigan have a good shot at being difference, makers not just At michigan but the.
Speaker 2: Pros there are some rumors That Jim harbaugh is going to go back to THE, nfl you, know nowhere else he'd rather win if The university Of. Michigan if you've paid any attention to The harbaugh story In Ann, arbor Sure michigan man back with much, fanfare much, excitement going to rejuvenate the. Program he has certainly done a good, job AND i think there's and he denying the fact that he's done a good. Job, right he has not lived up to that. Standard and some of The michigan community are starting to grow. Restless and SO i, mean these aren't my, words this is just what people out there in the, world on on The, twitter on The, googles what they would say About Jim, harbaugh that perhaps he's not long for an, Armor perhaps that if you sign on with, him if you go hook line and sinker into The horrball, way The harball, mentality The harbaugh, plan if such thing does, exist that you could be.
Speaker 1: Left without him after year. ONE i, mean you're just talking about hot. Air we're just having a hot air, dissertation WHICH i guess gets you a degree right At Ohio. State but we got. It we have to give ourselves a standard as well here with. This and, yeah you can say that there are. Rumors you know why there are robot rumors About Jim harbaugh in THE nfl because he's a desired, coach because people want to work With Jim. Harbaugh people Want Jim harbaugh coaching his, team and he. Chooses he chooses to coach at The university Of. MICHIGAN i don't see that Many Ryan day. RUMORS i JUST i happen to not see the rumors involved With Ryan day and the highest level of the, sport THE. NFL i wonder why that. IS i wonder if people see him as a one trick. Pony it's just. Conjecture it's just conjecture that he doesn't have the ability to get to the next. Level but there is that desire For Jim, harbaugh that, thirst that hunger For Jim. Harbaugh and he chooses once, Again tyler to stay at The university Of, michigan when according to, you he has his pick of the litter at the next. Level but he Sees michigan as the, place and so should you the hut Should, No, hey, Listen i'm here for it as. Well there's just the thing is you're selling me on or you're Selling Chase chase. On you, know This Ohio state defense and all these guys that have developed and all these these all pro, types these The bosa brothers And Chase, young all these guys who have made a, difference you, know On draft night and in THE. NFL i wonder Why Ohio state's defense keeps moving in the wrong. DIRECTION i wonder why the results aren't. THERE i wonder Why Ohio state is lit up by a school Like. INDIANA i wonder why the defense is lit up by a school Like. ALABAMA a Great alabama, team but lit. Up This Ohio state defense is trending into a. Direction now, Again i'll Tell i'll be the first one to tell you The michigan standard has not been met on. Defense after twenty. Twenty Coach brown did a fantastic job from TWENTY i believe twenty fifteen through twenty. Nineteen But i'm seeing trends with This Ohio state defense that they are just they're not getting the best out of their. Players they're not turning the of these blue chip players into actual. Production this is a team led by its offense this past, year to you a couple of. YEARS i just the trends are, alarming AND i feel a responsibility to let you know that you should be paying attention to not getting to the, quarterback and that the defense not communicating, well letting plays behind, them you, know not being able to tackle. CONSISTENTLY i hear all this stuff about DEVELOPING nfl, players AND i watched The Ohio state defense last, fall AND i think to, myself, WELL i don't. Know, WELL i JUST i don't know what they're thinking.
Speaker 2: HERE i still would Put Ohio state up against just about anybody just. About, yeah Not, indiana, sir, respectively Not indiana, necessarily but just.
Speaker 1: About you can make that.
Speaker 2: Argument i'm going to go in a completely separate. Direction one thing that you have not covered is the fact That Chase chase is from Suburban, Chicago so perhaps he's gotten used to that big city. Feel, Columbus ohio is the state, capital the Great state Of. Ohio town of about a million, people you get access to all the amenities of being in a big. City it's actually the second most populous city in all The, midwest behind your Native, Chicago. Illinois so if you Like, alabama if you Like, clemson if you like Ann, arbor but you want to live closer to modern civilization how you're Describing, Columbus you want to have all of the amenities of a big, city come To Ohio. State why strap, yourself give yourself as many opportunities as you, can especially in this world of nil sure where perhaps you're looking for some endorsements that you can use, to you, know help pay some of the. Bills columbus is a corporate haven all sorts of have and big corporations and big companies that are headquartered in The columbus. Area can tell me more about all these opportunities In, columbus be as detailed as possible and. SPECIFIC i Think Chase chase would love to know about the modern amenities Of, Columbus.
Speaker 1: Ohio, well what.
Speaker 2: We do here At Ohio state is we set up our student athletes in the best way. Possible we give them marketing, training we give them media, training we give them all the tools that they need to go on to a website like An Open doors and figure out what are the best things for my? Brand how CAN i make sure THAT i am protected WHEN i am entering into some sort of endorsement. Deal we do not seek to be that. Broker all we can do is provide the tools so that the players out there can go out and make the best decision possible for. Them but there's no denying the fact that when you play for a premier institution like The Ohio State, university that there will be plenty of marketing opportunities for.
Speaker 1: You, Now I'm i'm fascinated to here to hear. MORE i look At Columbus, OHIO i see big lots AND i See. Kroger SO i suppose you can be A ham spokesperson In. Ohio which is that's the full. List there's a, long, long long list of other companies you. Know, PLEASE i look forward to it Because ham is the fastest growing of the porky cold cuts continue TikTok. No i'm Just i'm. Curious so you're Painting columbus like it's some sort of combination Of La New york And Silicon. Valley and so that's why i'd like to. KNOW i, mean, obviously you look at the fortune five hundred companies that have come out of an, arbor And google obviously founded By Larry page who was, there and You're Domino's, pizza who've done fantastic. RECENTLY i just you, know there's there's a lot to lovely.
Speaker 2: Arbors the headquarter of some sort In columbus. AREA i believe Aber crombie And. Fitch, Whoa i'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry it's Case chase committing in the early two thousands is also in the. Area, OKAY i. Understand is IS lfo going to be on his recruiting trip on his official? Visit will they show? Up the light Funky, ONES, Jp Morgan. Chase they can't be head okay In, columbus can? They it's not headquartered. Nationwide they're on your. Side, OH i, mean you know teenagers and their love of nationwide limited. Brands uh, huh, yeah look at. This this is Like New York. City uh. Huh that's what people are. Saying state farm people are that's that can't be the headquarters For state. FARMED i was not as prepared for this section of the argument AS i should have. Been but there are a lot of companies In. COLUMBUS i know a lot of people live In. Columbus, now ALL i can tell you is you you want to go to, college you want to be in a college. Town and that's the nice thing about getting away from The chicago And chicago burgs is it's still a bigger college town and you have the ability to travel really easily throughout The, midwest throughout the, country, internationally. Whatever but Ann arbor is second to on you, KNOW i, mean talk About, zingerman's you talk about all sorts of, restaurants you talk about the culture of the, nightlife And arbor is. Fantastic you can be whatever you want to be in Ann. Arbor, okay be whatever you want to be in Ann. Arbor look at. That it's. True i've, Listened. Ty this is this Is dan editorializing. Here this is not the recruiter Of. Chase. CHASE i Think columbus is a pretty good. Place i've been To columbus multiple. Times i've enjoyed myself. There but putting My michigan. Recruiter hat back on and arborsh just something special And Arbor. SCHOOL i was in Ann arbor one. Time never been To. COLUMBUS i was in Ann arbor one time for A Penn State michigan. Game whether it was, awful, rain the whole time is when it.
Speaker 2: Happens WHEN i Met Cameron Guy dave for the first, time And i've told.
Speaker 1: The story a million. TIMES i also saw an arcade, burned a literal arcade. Fire.
Speaker 2: LITERAL i saw the literal arcade fire as pinball piets burnt down the ONE i Guess saturday NIGHT i was in. Town but Ann arbor is a really cool. PLACE i would love to go back when the weather doesn't, suck because that was. Great that was a disappointing experience due to the. Weather, otherwise are really cool. Place i'd love to go to.
Speaker 1: The to The.
Speaker 2: Horseshoe i'd love to go see a game there as. Well And i've heard great things about The Ohio state.
Speaker 1: Experience but.
Speaker 2: It almost pains me to say these negative things about Ann arbor BECAUSE i really enjoyed my time.
Speaker 1: There, okay hats back on and the other thing About michigan, too is there's just an emotion About michigan. FOOTBALL i mean the inner state rivalry With Michigan, state of Course michigan and it's rivalry With Notreed. Aime there's just something big time About michigan football and the teams that they, play and the energy between those, teams the stages that those games are played, on the history of those games And Ohio state's. Fantastic but what emotion do you have tied up In? Clemson what emotion do you have tied up In? Alabama what do you know it's going to the playoff to, lose Whereas michigan is trending in that upward. Direction and it's trending that way because we are signed up players like. You i'm.
Speaker 2: Earth have we Met michigan trending? Up is this? New is this? New SHOULD i play.
Speaker 1: The breaking news? Sound michigan has a five star quarterback entering the. Fold michigan has recruited, really really, well especially on. Defense you'll be playing with premier players from across the. Country you, know the Safety dak sales from all from excuse, me From, oklahoma the linebackers that have been coming Through. Michigan you look At Devin bush And Jake, ryan all sorts of. Players you are playing, with FANTASTIC nfl caliber, players no different than you are At Ohio. State but you're that difference. Maker you're that difference. Maker well let me close on this. Please Ohio state has a long standing, tradition as you, know the best damn band in the land goes out there and Write ohio in script out on the, field and it's a. Tradition it's an, honor, frankly for one of the fourth or fifty your souzophone players to go out there and dot the. Ie, sure you, know on occasions sometimes it's a, celebrity an Rl, stein an r L, stein if you, will.
Speaker 2: Who goes out there and gives crowd goosebumps by dotting the. Eye i'm not telling, You, chase that you're going to be able.
Speaker 1: To dot the. Ie, Wow, oh here we.
Speaker 2: Go you are every bit is important to our defensive line moving. Forward your every bit is important to our defense moving. Forward you're every bit is important to our national championship hopes moving.
Speaker 1: Forward we need you to be on that. Line we want you On what are you? Doing? Now what are you? Doing he needs you on that. LINE i JUST i think this is a mixed, message is What i'm getting, here because we owe you opened your pitch With Ohio state eight sells itself and you were very, short a very truncated approach to Recruiting Chase. Chase Where i'm Telling, Chase i'm telling you there's so many different things At michigan for. You michigan is going to feel like home for you because you can find your pursuit in addition to thriving on the football. Field and you're telling, him, Well Ohio state sales, itself but also you're going to be as important as a susophone. Player i'm just lost in this. TIE i just am uh, right.
Speaker 2: Do we KNOW i take it all? In do we know If Chase chase has ever won any state? Championships because if he, hasn't he will feel at home at Miss, SURE i feel.
Speaker 1: RIGHT i don't have that information in front of. ME i don't have his docket all right right in solid verbal at gmail dot. Com let us. KNOW i was going so good there until the very. END i just lost my. Training oh, WELL i mean winnings for you, know you fumble that message on the on the one yard. LINE i don't know what can you count on With Ohio state solibt gmail dot. Com let us know who you let us know who did a better job, selling not where you would. Go my question to, You tai is would you have changed anything about my? Pitch DID i omit anything THAT i should have included about WHAT i was a prospect to go To? MICHIGAN i WAS i was thinking as you were making the argument that it. Was it was definitely one.
Speaker 2: Approach it was a creative approach to steer into the shortcomings Of michigan by. Awareness, yeah and THAT'S i think that's. Important by saying that we have not lived up to our. STANDARD i don't know IF i would have chosen that phrasing for. IT i might have, said we know there's room for. Improvement this is why we're recruiting. You maybe not so much we haven't lived up to our, Standard but the spirit of what you were DOING i thought was. Creative, WELL i mean standard establishes that you, Know michigan is a pl that expects to win on a national. LEVEL i THOUGHT i thought that was a good. Approach it could have been a little bit better word, smith but all in, all pretty good, argument pretty good. Argument, yeah what.
Speaker 1: Do you think about The Ohio state? SIDE i would have gone bigger into the like we already Know Ohio state is AN nfl. Factory we already know About Chase young and The bosa brothers and all these defensive linemen and, linebackers and you Know Larry johnson being this legendary defensive line. COACH i would have gone at it with a here's what you don't know About Ohio state AND i you know they have the like real World, wednesdays, right isn't that a thing At Ohio state where they like they bring in speakers Because Ohio state gets. Pigeonholed is a football. Factory we're so much more than a football. Factory were looking out for you, know this is a forty year, plan not a four year. Plan and you didn't go into that as much because that's that's selling you, know mom and, dad that's selling the family of. That, Like, okay we're not just looking out for your sons as a four technique or something like. That we're looking out for your son's. Brain we're looking out for your son's. Future that's LIKE i would have gone with the like for LIKE i would have flipped literally flipped that script and, say, look you've seen us on the national. Stage you know what we're about from a football. Perspective we develop young men to be excellent football players that thrive here and at the next. LEVEL i would have gone into here's what you don't see About Ohio state football THAT i think is the. Move, now it's not difficult to out Recruit michigan Or Penn state or any Other Big Ten challenge or even national programs you're competing, Against LIKE i, Mean Ohio state's going Into texas and plucking top. Guys but THAT i think is a differentiator, potentially because you, Know michigan's going to sell academics and the recruit and the alumni network things like. That Here's Ohio state's ability to enter to that part of the. Conversation that's but, again it's not difficult to Sell Ohio. State you look AT i, mean just from a football it's not, no, no all. Right but that's that's HOW i would have rounded it out into like a a more broad selling, point sales, pitch what is going to be our next. Pairing i'd like to dip into a different tier in terms of rivalry or. Brand i'm Into Oklahoma. STATE, Tcu i'm Into are you going to make ME? Tcu aren't? You you're? Sure why?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: Yeah you want to do? That NEXT Tcu Oklahoma. State this is going to.
Speaker 2: Reel me back INTO. Tcu i'm going to recruit myself back to A.
Speaker 1: Schoolcu, Yeah i'm Selling Mike, gundy which is not SO i think the better option IS tcu for sure in terms of ease of. Selling But i'll dig Into Oklahoma state And i'll see WHAT i can. FIND i, mean we Love Pistol, pete so, YEAH i think that's going to be our next hard SELL tcu Versus Oklahoma. State and what? Teams what position? ARE i think wide receiver BECAUSE i think each of them have interesting alumni in terms OF nfl, draft in terms of, systems in terms of, NAMES i think wide. Receiver but YOU i, mean if you want to do, safety if you want to wide, out, okay do wide.
Speaker 2: Out it's a little bit of big metal from THE tcu, side BUT i think.
Speaker 1: No Josh dockson was just drafted pretty, high was he?
Speaker 2: Not he was Drafted he went absolutely. Nowhere, well he got. Hurt jalen has been another disappointment thus. Far but these they got drafted, high got drafted. High that's life changing. Money well let's let's let's think a little bit more about. Name we will come armed on The tuesday show with more names to pick from and to recruit to our Respect pact.
Speaker 1: Twelve you could do like A UCLA, asu or you could DO Usc, oregon something like, THAT Usc oregan And i'll TAKE. Usc how about? That oh? Man, OKAY i wanted. TO i kind of wanted to Do Michigan Penn state for this, one AND i would take you take Day. State, yeah, yeah that would have been. GOOD i think that's more. Interesting So i'm happy to TAKE usc AND usc Versus. Oregon and in THE. ACC i don't know if we Do Florida State miami THAT i think is potentially quite. Interesting could Do North carolina And.
Speaker 2: Clemson, well, look we've we've got a few more of these that are. Planned, obviously if there is important news to, discuss we'll do what we did On tuesday and we'll talk about that, instead and we'll come back to. This we are building towards the twenty twenty one. Season we start doing previews and start talking about games and hopefully get back to some sense of. Normalcy, YadA, YadA. YadA you know the drill, there but writ in let us know your thoughts on which recruiting, rivalries either real or real for the purposes of the, podcast that we should focus on For.
Speaker 1: I'm almost Positive Oklahoma STATE tcu are battling out for a number of. Requirements, well cool, again solid verbal at gmail dot com is the email. Address look us up on social don't forget to follow along on your podcasting apps of, choice and head on out to verballers dot com where we post all our bonus. Content we've got some bonus content that is dropping by the end of this. Week SO i got Heat Ohio state alumni to see if you forgot. Anybody did you look this up? Beforehand? NO i, didn't so r Al stein And Richard, lewis of course we talked about so non. Sports well there's a porn. Star. Yeah we we have a couple senators, okay that counts that went To Ohio. State we've got a governor, There we've got, Look i'm Oh Rick okasik from The cars come on tie very, skinny so on the list here? Interesting, okay Ed sable come ON Nfl. Films that counts.
Speaker 2: For that's. Impressive that guy over, there my good Friend Dan rubinstein from, Myself Tie, hildebrand thanks so much for, downloading for a, listening for supporting the.
Speaker 1: Show we will talk to you all. Soon in the, meantime stay song, peace oh hold. On Patricia heaton From Everybody Loves raymond got her bachelor's in nineteen eighty