Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Daybreak Asia podcast. I'm Dan Schwartzman. Doug Christner has the week off oil extended its games on reports that Iran a tacked quote hostile targets in the Strait of Hormuz, reviving inflation concerns. We also see this real bifurcation of expectations with this deal with Oman as well. Under a proposed Iran and Oman agreement, Tehran intends to ban US and Israeli ships from the Strait and require compensation from hostile countries to use it. In the States, attention now turns to the US employment report on Friday for clues on the federal reserves policy path. For more in the markets, Bloomberg's Heidi Stroud Watts spoke to Lori Calvacina, head of US Equity Strategy at RBC Capital Markets.
Speaker 3: It has felt like an exceptionally exhausting number of factors.
Speaker 4: What's type of mind for you at the moment, So look.
Speaker 5: In as I've been here this week talking to Australian Investment, We've been talking about the FED, We've been talking about tech, we've been talking about the midterm elections, and I think against the backdrop of all that, right, it's just where valuations are. And we actually think if you look at like US versus non US, you've gotten to a really interesting place again. Basically, you know, after this burst of geographical leadership or broadening, we saw the US is actually looking cheap on a five year basis versus rest of world. So we do think that helps dampen, you know, some of the challenges we're dealing with on a day to day basis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can take a look at the chart that is looking at as sort of quality factors, right, even if you still have to deal with the momentum the gyrations. When it comes to the chip trade in particular, we are seeing kind of a lid being kept on volatility measures as we've seen the quality of value factors actually improve of the US. Where do you see that because tech actually, if you guess go by the lofty earnings expectations, looks pretty cheap in DM.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you know, look, I would just say on the quality factor, I cover both large cap and small cap in the US, and we've been seeing high earnings quality outperform for a bit now, and we're starting to see in the large cap space as well. We've been highlighting that to investors this week, saying this is a time to be more selective and you can think about quality, you know, not just as a quant factor, right, but in selection of management teams and just being more discriminating within whatever sector you're in. And your point on technology, I mean, you know, I think in the financial community we often say tech tech is hiding in a bunch of different sectors. Communication services, consumer discretion is where most of the Internet names are. We're having a little bit more challenges on free cash flow. But if you look at the tech sector itself, which is largely Semis hardware software, it's a cheap sector now, I mean that's not something we could say even you know, a month or two ago, and so we've actually been pointing people to that sector and we've said, look, you know, the Semis SMP Semis have come back down to five and thirty year averages. Software is getting close to historical lows. That doesn't mean every stock within that sector is going to be a winner, but it is a place where value has been unlocked. And at the end of the day, if you're a longer term investor, you want to look at these volatility, you know, sort of situations in the market and and look where value has been unlocked and try to find opportunity.
Speaker 3: When invite you know, in software there's now been talked about you start seeing some of the software names taking up AI in more of an efficient way. And that's obviously a little bit more of a ball signal. But the specifics of this is really interesting. Right. I think I ready note that he said, you know, you need to look for the picks and shovels of the pigs and shove rights trade.
Speaker 4: Right, what about the trickle down trade? Is that happening across it? The broadening when you're saying that you need to be more selective.
Speaker 5: You know, we have you know, our view on the broadening trade has been a little bit different than most strategists. You know, I think a lot of strategists came into this year saying it's time for the market to broaden, and we said, you know, we think this is more of a tug of war and you're going to see a back and forth between kind of the old leadership and kind of you know, the rest of the market. And we've had a few twists and turns in that already, and I think that, to be honest, we got to a situation a couple months ago where kind of the old AI tech megacat growth leadership got overvalued. I think that valuation problem has been largely solved. And one of the things we're seeing on our data as we go through earnings is that if you look at a broader basket of AI stocks, that you've seen a tremendous kind of upside surprise and the earning's growth for twenty twenty six, and it's still showing a lot of superiority versus the rest.
Speaker 4: Of the market.
Speaker 5: And so one of the things we've said is that until the rest of the market can give you a better earning story, we think you're just going to flip flap back and forth between the two. And when you get the valuation problem on one, you'll go into the other, and then when you solve that, you'll go back again. And I think that's what we're in the middle of right now. Frankly, how much of the views.
Speaker 3: On US tech quality value full costing is that being challenged by the China Ai story.
Speaker 5: Look, I think you know, as we kind of go back and look at some of the things we've heard from the administration in the US. They've made it clear that they're sort of fusing economic security and national security and they want the US to win the AI race. So that's something that's been coming up a bit this week as well when we're talking about US tech. But I think it is also, you know, a source of volatility, right when we get some of these news developments that sort of challenge that idea of the US doing well on that front.
Speaker 4: And we touched a little bit on the.
Speaker 3: How many questions are you being offed about the FED outlook because obviously we had another sort of instance to be concerned about FED independence. Joe Walsh is obviously in a difficult situation, right, do you feel like the market is underestimating the inflation and the energy impact?
Speaker 5: So look, I'll say our rate strategist, Blake Gwenn does not have any hikes in his forecast over the next twelve months.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: He will also tell you that the bar is Lofer hikes, so you know, he recognizes that it's a fluid situation and we have to keep an eye on the data, We have to keep an eye on additional FED speak in the future. But look, I think the reality is that, you know, the bond market is expressing some worry and frankly worries that I'm not necessarily seeing expressed in the equity market. I think the press conference last week, you know, that has come up in meeting after meeting this week, and I've been pointing people to a chart that basically looks at how the stock market performed in the US after Bernank, Yell, and Powell took over. And guess what, just like Warsh, they had a rough first couple of months on the job from a stock market perspective, But with all three of those, the market was hire a year after they stepped into the job. So you know, we've looked at the facts that the market has essentially been trading sideways at least until this week when it's popped, But it had been short of trading sideways ever since Warsh took over.
Speaker 4: By historical standards, that is not unusual.
Speaker 5: It does take financial markets time to get used to a new way of doing things.
Speaker 2: That was Lori Calvacina, head of US Equity strategy at RBC Capital Markets, speaking of Bloomberg's Heidi Shroud, Watts and we're bringing their conversation to you here on the Daybreak Asia podcast. Welcome back to the Daybreak Asia Podcast. I'm Dan Schwarzman. Doug Chrisner has a week off. Over the last several days, Japan had several companies report earnings. Da Nishihada, chief Japan equity strategists for JP Morgan Securities, spoke to Bloomberg's cherry On about her outlook on the Japanese earning season.
Speaker 6: Cool fourth earnings are very very strong, as you said about more than half of the major companies have reported.
Speaker 4: And sales growth in.
Speaker 6: Ear is fifteen percent and NETT income gross is fifty percent. They are stronger than the pier in US and Europe. And we have to remember that the strong growth earnings growth was realized under high oil prices. Japan is all important company, which means corporate pricing power is you know, has become very strong structurally in my view, and the driver of earnings grows, as you say, is broadening beyond the AI, semi banks, trading companies, wholesale companies and the machinery.
Speaker 1: Also the driver I was going to say, I mean, how much of the strength are you seeing across the board at a time when we've discussed the supply chain disruptions, rising costs, and of course not to mention on the backge of everything is also tariff costs still in play at the moment, right, So, I.
Speaker 6: Mean Japan's price transfer ratio has under the differational economy has been fifty percent compared to eighty nine to ninety percent in US so and now start of the twenty twenty three it's jumped up to seventy percent, and even under the difficult phases in a US tariff in two susan twenty five or higher old prices this year, actually this price transfer ratio down just a bit like sixty eight or so, so still higher than you know, fifty percent in the differational economy. So that makes corporate earnings it's still strong. We compute it as impact by higher old prices this time is will be something like six percent point down. But actually, I mean market consensus is continued to upward the division even after this much.
Speaker 1: Do businesses themselves understand the strength of their business right now? The issue with Japan has always been cashwoarding, right business is not spending on the future and not paying there's the salaries of employees, so you can see a virtual cycle of wage growth as well. We've seeing that change in mindset.
Speaker 6: Yes, long growth is now six percent, which is recorded high these days.
Speaker 4: So which is this is because.
Speaker 6: Of the growth of the corporate appetite to growth investment It has just started. This is I think in related with a government promotion of growth investment. Corporate governance now focus on how corporates use excess catch in the balance sheet. So one way is to use for growth investment. Another way is to increase which you know, both of which should lead to a better economy, that circular circle of good economy.
Speaker 1: How are they viewing the length the strength of the end right now?
Speaker 4: One fifty eight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but from a ReSpectacle of equity markets, actually dollar ym beilau one sixty is okay, you know, I mean manageable.
Speaker 4: A corporate assumption.
Speaker 6: For twenty six f y dollar yen is one fifty two with conservative bias, and one fifty is the last year's average. So our break given dollar M for households real income gross is one sixty. So of course Takaha administration's physical expansion continue yen weakening pleasure. But we also heard last last month that government hint a potential GPIF investment shift and we saw japan US joined the EXXS intervention. So such through funds policy would be some supportive factor to reduce a father yen weakening.
Speaker 1: Appreci shaping morgancy in the yen year end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one sixty four year.
Speaker 1: Okay, despite everything that has happened.
Speaker 6: There from now still you know, four months from now. So but there is also you know, risks in a short term, and such a government address should keep in a bit strong strong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not to mention, of course, bog decisions as right when it comes to these businesses. We talked about the strength of the semiconductor side of things, and we talked about the broadening of the machinery other sectors like banks as well. Are there any outstanding to you that you think have more potential going forward?
Speaker 6: Yes, I overweight bunks from structured perspective, life, from medium term, you know, time horizon. Some investors see the banks evaluation current PB one point five times, PE fifteen times already pricing to.
Speaker 4: Bog rate hikes. So what else?
Speaker 6: But my view is, you know, long growth is one thing. This is the start of this call of strong growth investment. Another thing is potential deposit shift. Deposit shift makes the banks who has resilience to deposit beta longtime rates rising or upgraded cyber attack can be winner. Through this process, I think deposit yield rong ill will be normalized from a level under theferational economy. That is categorist that has not been in EPs or ALOE.
Speaker 7: That was Rija Nichi had a chief japan equity strategist at JP Morgan Securities, speaking of Bloomberg Sharry On and we're bringing their conversation to you here on the Daybreak Asia podcast.
Speaker 8: Thanks for listening to today's episode of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Edition podcast. Each weekday, we look at the story shaping markets, finance, and geopolitics in the Asia Pacific. You can find us on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube channel, or anywhere else you listen. Join us again tomorrow for insight on the market moves from Hong Kong to Singapore and Australia. I'm Doug Prisoner and this is Bloomberg