Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you missed in History Class, a production of iHeartRadio, Hello and Happy Friday. Am Holly Fry and I'm Tracy B.
Speaker 2: Wilson.
Speaker 1: So there was a thing this week. We talked about the Beecham Sharp Tragedy, sometimes also called the Kentucky Tragedy, and there was a thing I thought about including in it, but I did not, okay, And the reason why is that it's long. Okay, hold on, I'm counting one, two, three, four, five, six, seven eight. I don't even know it's there. At the end of their lives and wrote a poem about their whole experience, with the intent that it would be engraved on their tombstone, which sounds lovely at least, you know, in ter of like from a sentimental point of view. But this poem is long. It's not it's not like a short little thing. It's like thirty or forty lines long. It's really really long. And I just and it did end up on their tombstone, and I just think of the poor person that had to engrave all of that, because it is not a brief piece of writing by any means. It would be like going, you know, I would like two of Shakespeare's sonnets engraved on my tombstone. Like today, that would probably be quicker work. We have machines to do it, mm hmm. Not in eighteen twenty six, and it basically is a very romanticized version, of course of their story. I also didn't note that a lot of people, I mean, I think it's it's pretty commonly believed that Anne really co authored that final document with her husband, that she had a lot of say in it. It was not written in his handwriting. Okay though that Initially when I read that, I was like, are they suggesting that this was a fake document? No, most people are actually indicating that Anne probably wrote it all down and was a collaborator on it. Whether that's just because he had poor penmanship or she was kind of driving the bus in terms of like how that document was written and what it contained is a matter of some speculation, But the two of them really wrote it together, right. This is such a mess of people lately, We've had a lot of discussions of people accusing each other of things that cannot be verified. Yeah, the whole thing about her child is so messy, so messy, and the only person who we can say knows for sure or knew for sure who the father was was her, and she never she never stated it was anyone other than but there are even some questions about whether she ever actually stated it was sharp. So it all stays a mystery. It's a little unsatisfying. Yeah, It's also an interesting thing in that obviously this was written or this whole thing took place in the eighteen twenties, so some decades before the Civil War, and reading some of the accounts, even though I know this was the case, it's still a little startling how casually people will just talk about the enslaved people that they own and how that makes them important. It's like, we know that that was going on, But then when I read contemporary accounts, it always feels like a punch in the gut, like, oh, nobody was Like I mean people were, but nobody in this you know who was writing this down and being yes, he was very wealthy, he had X number of enslaved people, although they of course don't word it quite that way. Those people never go own owning people. That seems that seems weird and wrong, Like I just I don't know, I know, that's my hippie dippy talking I just want everybody to have a moral compass. I don't know why that's so hard. It's also an interesting thing in terms of how completely gripped and entire community can be by the events and behaviors in the lives of a very few people, right because there was all of this infighting among legislators while farmers were seriously like are we going to survive? And some of those legislators really did seem more interested in just winning over one another than the actual constituents that they represented. We've never seen that before. But when you think about there are a bunch of people literally sitting there, going is my farm going to be foreclosed? Am I going to lose everything? While all of these men bicker, it's very frustrating. And then it becomes really really easy to see how there could have been political machinations involved in the murder that played out Like Beecham obviously, you know, towards the end was like, yes, I did it, but uh, and I wanted to do it, but also I don't know if I would have done it. I waited four years, but then this guy kept telling me I should do it, kept pointing out that my wife's reputation had been ruined. He was right. I did want to kill him after that. Like, it's a very interesting example of how levers can be pulled by people with intents that are dishonorable to manipulate the passions of other people to do things that are not necessarily on their backs but that will benefit them directly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like, one of the things that really struck me was how much leading up to him, like authoring or co authoring a confession, how much of it was based on absolutely circumstantial.
Speaker 1: The closest thing to.
Speaker 2: Like actual evidence being his wife's saying, like I recognize that voice, mm hmm, which I don't know maybe, but everything else absolutely circumstantial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody that gave testimony just about someone else came along and said, that's not true. He never had that conversation. I don't know what they're talking about. That didn't happen. That's not what really took place. It's such a mess, I don't know. It also is a good, not a good example, but a clear example of the way that public opinion gets put in place, because again, right up until the sentencing, Beecham was very adamant that he didn't do it, and with no evidence. It took that jury less than an hour to go yep, guilty. It's like, did you just go off vibes Like, That's not how that's supposed to work. It's just a fascinator in a sad way. I don't have a funny story to add to this one. This weekly it was really heavy. I try to make sure there's some ding dong story I could tell about my own ridiculousness. I'll at least take the edge off. And there I've certainly, I'm sure done plenty of ding dong things in the last several days, even, but I don't have one ready to roll. I don't think i'd ever heard of this before. Yeah, I mean I it's one that I stumbled across. It's another one of those great I was looking at a paper and I saw a headline on another part of the paper, and I was like, what's that about? And it was like, oh, this was one of the great things. Just kind of makes it light. You surely saw the corpse bride, right, Yeah, you know where there's that moment. It's in a song where one of the characters is talking about all of the things that have been playing out again, revealing some some things that the characters in the movie have done, and they go and a murder most Fowl. I found that exact line as a headline talking about this case murder exclamation poem most foul, and I always thought that was very fun and cute and probably based on some you know, that is, I think, right, I think one of the Shakespeare tragedies. I'm pretty sure, yes, But I was surprised to find it as a headline in the Kentucky newspaper, Murder most Fowl, and it at least gave me a moment of corpse bride fund in the midst of a lot of yucky he said, he said, she maybe said, but we don't know stuff. Yeah. I feel like the fact that Anne Cook moved out to the country to be alone with her mother, out of society was probably a good indicator that she didn't want to talk about any of that right now. Whether or not that was an issue of feeling ashamed or I don't know, maybe she just didn't want to get in the mess. Anyway, It's a lot of sad and so much hangs on the testimony of the neighbor, some of which seems to be almost contradictory of itself. It's unclear anyway, a murder, most foul. Let's go watch stop motion animation for fun after such sad stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked about Wilfred Owen this week.
Speaker 1: We sure did.
Speaker 2: I have kept circling back to Wilfred Owen repeatedly. Deltiet decoram Est is a poem that we've read, I think in high school, maybe also in college, in like a different context and a more humanity's context in college and in literature class in high school. And I did not know anything about his life or biography when reading the poem. The poem was really about like World War One and the horrors of trench warfare and the use of gas and things like that. It was not about Wilfrid Owen as a person, and so I did not realize that he had been a soldier and that he had been killed at the age of only twenty five, so close to the end of the war. And when I learned that, I kept just circling back to I'm kind of wanting to do an episode about it, And as I said in the episode, I just kept kind of wanting to hug him. I am sad that he had such a short life because of war. I got the impression that you had some similar responses as we were wrapping up the episode I did and his work, I never really studied him, so looking at this after you had sent it over to me, there's such a very obvious through line from his work too. Another recent topic, who is near to my heart Kurt Vonneguet in the way he talks about war. Yeah, I'm like, I guarantee he read his work. I guarantee it. I had not thought about that, but that makes absolute sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very not romanticized when he talks about it in any kind of way, even in his off hand to sides, it's usually all about how stupid the whole thing is and pointless, and that is the.
Speaker 2: Undertone of a number of Wilfrid Owen's poems as well. Regarding the height requirement to join the British Army, so as we said, he was a little more than five to five, just like a smidge over five to five, and the height requirement at the very beginning of the war had been less than that, and then they had such a surge of people trying to enlist that they raised it to just have a way to quickly weed people out, but then kept having to progressively lower it simultaneously. There were people underneath what had been the original the original limit, which I think was five foot three, and there were men under five foot three who wanted to enlist, and a lot of them actually who wanted to enlist, And so special battalions were formed, called Bantam battalions, named for they think rooster, right, bantam roosters. And a lot of the people who joined these bantom battalions were like doc workers, mine workers, people who were shorter than average, but also like really stocky and really strong. And I kind of went on a slight detour learning about bantam battalions and then was like, Tracy, you gotta get your mind back on your work. So I don't know if if that might be a topic for some kind of future episode, or it might be incorporated in a future episode. In some way, I got the impression that like, these were generally men who were very used to doing very hard work, and simultaneously the other battalions of men who were taller than that could be kind kind of patronizing toward them. Yeah, And so it seems like there was a lot of a lot of social expectation and ideas about masculinity kind of interwoven with all of this.
Speaker 1: Well, this also makes sense because you know, bantams are a smaller fowl. Yeah, and they're not just roosters, like, there are many fowl that could be characterized as bantam, Like, there are ducks that would be called bantam, as well as chickens.
Speaker 2: I think I've most often heard it with rooster. Yeah, but they are little and sturdy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also have some thoughts about Harold Owen, Yeah, who I have not researched at all. I know zero about his life. But he went to such links to just black out parts of his brother's letters and in some cases cut out parts of them with scissors, without knowing that a person who is reading the elections of his letters that his brother had edited and published might think that, you know, these were letters sent from the front. Maybe they just got damaged in transit like that might be what illegible meant. No, illegible meant that Harold went through them and expurgated them.
Speaker 1: He made them illegible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And logically, with it being you know, the early twentieth century, if what was being cut out was in some way related to Wilfred Owen having feelings or relationships with other men that likely would not have been something he would have been writing openly about. So it seems like this could have been things that his brother would have been like able to see that people could like read into, or like his brother not being particularly guarded without how he was writing about things right but near that passage where Owen where Harold Owen and his biography of his brother described him as having no relationship with anybody because he thought it might interfere with his intellectual ability. Harold Owen said this about himself, quote, I deliberately chose the Roman Catholic religion because of its insistence on celibacy, and Wilfrid's thinking poetry supplanted religion. And I was just like, I have thoughts and questions, let me do if we had a time machine, I would just kind of want to go meet both of these brothers and talk to them more. This whole thing also illustrates why I can find the meme about historians describing lovers as friends to be frustrating, because this is the kind of things that his story are dealing with when writing about queer history. A lot of the time friends and family members who are very protective of somebody's legacy, who in some cases have gone through and cut parts of their letters out with scissors and will not allow historians access to the actual primary original documents to review them, only selectively give some stuff or some exp expurgated stuff or whatever. And it's only later, often after either those family members have died, or those family members have become more open about you know, their past family member, or in some cases, you know, something's been passed down through a family and they come into the hands of somebody who has different you know, social and political ideal ideals and beliefs than the person who was originally cutting stuff out of letters with scissors. That is when historians are actually able to get more into the real depth of a person's whole life. So as sure, there are you know, previous histories of or previous biographies of Wilford Owen, including once written by his brother, that don't touch on that at all, And one element of that is like just not having access to the original documents and their entirety to go through. Yeah, I always try to think about, like what that moment is where someone decides essentially to rewrite history, and I honestly am a little conflicted about it for a couple of reasons.
Speaker 1: Obviously, like it sucks to not have original documents available to tell it an accurate story. I also do understand as frustrating it as it has been for me. Not just in cases like this where it's queerness being raised, but you know, with anyone where there's something about them that someone in their family thought it was best people not know. But I can also see as incorrect as this this move was, you know, someone like his brother, who clearly had his own stuff going on, worrying that his brother's legacy would be forgotten or tainted in some way, and wanting to position it in a way that he would be recognized for his writing and not the other things about him. Right, I mean, And it's hard because it's easy for us to go that's shortsighted. But like at the time, it probably seemed like, well, his work could be buried forever, or I can do this right and he can be seen in this other way. Not the same thing at all, but right, Like Queen Victoria's daughter trashed a bunch of her writing yeah, and she died rather than let people see it. And so I do understand that there's also a tertiary part of it for me where I also wonder how much grief is informing it, because if you've I mean, every one of us will experience a grief if you have not already, And I'm sorry, and it sucks. But there is a thing that happens. I have seen it happen to people where when someone has passed, without even being cognizant that you are editing the story, people start telling their version of that person's story, focusing on things that are different than other things and wanting to almost create this not always idealized, but a version that is what they remember and what they were part of. Yeah. Yeah, and wanting to like pare down anything that doesn't fit that. Yeah. Again, don't love it, but I do understand the motivation of it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, And socially, the culture that you and I have grown up in and lived in in our whole lives, we eulogize people after they die, when like that's just sort of a baseline of what's expected. Is like, yeah, you don't go to somebody's funeral and say a bunch of things about them that could be taken as really negative into a typical.
Speaker 1: Unless you're a rabbel rouser, unless you're a rabbl rasler.
Speaker 2: Like the word eulogy literally has the idea that it's affirming there in the word yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 2: The story of Wilfred Owen and all of his personal papers reminds me a little bit of and Lister, who we covered on the show before. Yeah wrote if you haven't heard that episode, and Lister basically wanted to marry a woman and figured out a way to make that work for herself and wrote many, many, many diaries extensively chronicling her life and also in chronicling all of her relationships. And when a family member later on, you know, this is all in the nineteenth century, when all of this would have been stigmatized and in some ways illegal. Family member cracked the code that she had written in, realized what they were about, and kind of went yikes, and put them back in the vault. And I feel like we're so fortunate that those things they went back in the vault instead of being burned, because that is something that could have happened and has happened with other figures from history and honestly people, now, I'm sure so Yeah, I still just want to hug Wilfrid now I love so desperately that he and his mother worked out a code together. Yeah, and a couple of different codes, a couple of different ways to stay in touch. I didn't know anything about these postcards until learning about the code that they had worked out together. And the postcards were just basically a fast way to let your loved ones know that you were alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It took you know, two seconds to fill the thing out and then it would just be mailed. And it had instructions printed on it very clearly that if you wrote anything on it other than your name, the date, and the date of the last letter you received from that person, it would just be discarded. And also, you know, the things in and of themselves a form of propaganda, because of all of the statements you could communicate with somebody were none of them were like yeah, none of them were like I am in the hospital and will never recover. Like that was not an option.
Speaker 1: I wonder too, since these were posts cards, if part of this wasn't an effort at concealment from like enemies, reading Oh yeah, maybe and trying to triangulate where people were, what kind of actions were happening, et cetera. I mean it, yes, it is propaganda. Still, I'm not trying to claim it's not. But like, if there is a secondary like intelligence and concealment aspect to it, maybe so maybe so I want to I can so easily picture a film about the leadership sitting around in a room going, well, we have to make it easy for them to communicate with their people back home. Okay, but then that's going to make it easy for our enemies to read them, and them figuring out this complex flow chart of what they could and could not include.
Speaker 2: Having had a job before where I had to write things that went through multiple levels of approval and revision, I am imagining the approval process of exactly what went on this postcard. I'm imagining that we can just write a whole musical about the whole writing and editing.
Speaker 1: Oh, you write the musical. I don't want the singing, but I would be really.
Speaker 2: Bad at that. I was just thinking about about Operation Min's Meat is just what that made me think of a show that I've only heard parts of. Anyway, Anyway, whatever's happening on your weekend. I hope it as good as possible. If there's somebody in your life that you want to go hug, I hope they're cool with that and that you're able to go give them a hug. We'll be back tomorrow with a Saturday classic and something brand new on Monday.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Missed in History.
Speaker 2: Class is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.