Speaker 1: Ben Higgins and Ashley I bring you Infamous.
Speaker 2: Sometimes roses are red Flags.
Speaker 3: Hey, everyone, welcome to another episode of Infamous. Sometimes Roses are Red Flags. It's Ben and Ashley and we are here with you to dive a little deeper into some of the characters that you either loved or loathed during the series. And today we are going back to Hannah Brown season of The Bachelorette. This cast member. Was he misunderstood? Has he changed? Well, today we will find out. Please welcome Luke Parker to the show, who we just did a little chat with before we started recording. And Luke, you are not just married, which we had seen headlines about, but you are father. Congratulations, dam thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been for all his fathers mothers out there. You guys know, it's been quite the ride. Yes, old, Yeah, So I have a nine month old and currently my wife is twenty two weeks pregnant.
Speaker 4: So we have we just found out wait.
Speaker 3: The math eight math in there. You have a nine month old?
Speaker 1: Yes, so we're two months away from I just learned this term. I don't know if you guys know it, but two months away from Irish twins. So if you have two children, whether it's a border girl that are within a year apart, then it's considered considered Irish twins.
Speaker 4: But they're going to be fourteen months apart.
Speaker 3: Okay, she's nine months and she's currently pregnant. So she got pregnant. Okay, yeah, okay, so the math that is technically math. I'm so sorry. I'm not a mathematician obviously, but she got pregnant within two months of having your son.
Speaker 1: No, it was not, it wasn't that close, but it was within a few Yes.
Speaker 3: That's so she's twenty two weeks. Okay, again, I need a pen and.
Speaker 5: Paper as interesting as it is for Ashley to try to figure this out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am fully embarrassed right now.
Speaker 1: You know, you're good. I'm not a math genius either. He's roughly six months.
Speaker 3: Okay, so sorry, I wasn't even thinking she's six months now, and so there're gonna be three that she was she got pregnant at three or four months?
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, she was four months most part?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, all right, that's not Actually the most out righteous thing.
Speaker 2: Was this planned?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Was this wanted to be this way? Okay?
Speaker 3: Then does anybody plan that I don't think anybody plans within four months of I.
Speaker 5: Mean when we had our daughter, Jessica, I was laying in the hospital room and Jessica goes, let's do it again, and I said, that's insane.
Speaker 2: I just saw what your.
Speaker 1: Body did in the hospital room.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She was like, this is the best. I would do it a thousand times. And I'm like, you're your wife. Is a chance you're crazy?
Speaker 5: I saw this and I don't know how you would even think about this right now. Luke So you have a family, is this is Cooksville where you're from?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: So grew up Northeast Florida, like Jacksonville area, and then.
Speaker 4: After college, bounced around.
Speaker 1: Played college baseball, and then after college I moved to North Georgia to be closer to family, and that's where my older brother lived. He and I were super tight, and then I was there for I want to say, like three years, and then I went on the show. And that's why on the show I say I'm from Gainesville, Georgia, because that's where I lived at the time, but that wasn't where I was reiginally from. And then for the last five years I've been in Cookeville, Tennessee, and what brought me there was really CrossFit. I don't know if you guys are familiar with CrossFit much, Yeah, but they're like quote unquote Michael Jordan CrossFit is Rich Frohning is a ten time Games Champion gold medalist and he owns CrossFit Mayhem, which is like the most famous CrossFit gym in the world. And his poor values on his business are faith, family, fitness service. And I got to be a part of a few nonprofit events he was a part of, and he invited me to come be a part of the Mayhem family, and then he pretty much turned me into a professional cross the athlete. And that's what I've been doing for like the last five years of my life and actually currently in the transitional season of my life, so going in a different direction and competing across it.
Speaker 4: And that's as of like a week and a half ago.
Speaker 2: Why is that.
Speaker 1: I just feel like Dad's calling me to the next chapter of my life. And it's been a huge blessing being a part of the Man family. And I'll always be a part of the Mayhem family. And the connections I've built here in Cookeville, I just you know, I got two sons now and got gotta start taking care of my family and focusing on some other things.
Speaker 2: So what's the difference between a cult and CrossFit?
Speaker 4: Oh that's such a good question.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I could talk so much on that, but I'll keep it light. I'd say CrossFit's focus is obviously just to build a strong community and be fit for life. Right, So that's that's really why we do all the crazy fitness we do.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it does definitely seem like a cult.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you became controversial on Hannah season not because you weren't there for the wrong reasons. Everybody thought that you were there for the right reasons, right, And now you have found your wife. How did you to meet.
Speaker 1: That's a phenomenal question. So let me back up. So I just kind of the story I just told of me going from North Georgia to Cookville, Tennessee and going to pursue competitive CrossFit. I got invited f I'm rich himself at a nonprofit event, and that same nonprofit event the following year. Essentially it was like an OCR race, which just stands for Obstacle Course course racing, and all of the proceeds to sign up for this race.
Speaker 4: It was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: It's like a four mile run through like the woods in Alabama, and there's like different up school or CrossFit movement stations throughout the race. Anyway, all the proceeds went to the nonprofit, which is Mayhem missioned. And I was just helping serve at the event, and so was my future wife. At the time, we had no idea who each other were. Her name's Jennifer and yeah, we were like helping each other build a sign, and then just after helping serve the event, we got to know each other. And it was actually really interesting because my buddy rich Fronning was getting a lot of pictures because he's like this, you know, most well known dude in the cross the space, and I'm like a nobody in CrossFit. But then I had like a group of young girls line up to take pictures with me, and my wife's like, okay, is he like a famous crossfitter?
Speaker 4: What's going on here?
Speaker 1: And then she found out I was on reality TV and I took her to lunch and she was she had one day eye brought up like all right, who's this guy?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Because you know, uh, there's quite the stereotype for people that go on reality TV, so she was very concerned with who she was going up to lunch with.
Speaker 4: But now after it was actually pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I'll try to keep this brief, but after being at Mayhem and representing them as an athlete, she worked for Mayhem and we were friends for like a year and a half to two years before ever like really considering dating each other, and.
Speaker 4: I thought that really helped us learn who each other were.
Speaker 1: And then you know, we were kind of like, hey, you know, you got the qualities of my future spouse, so I want to go on the date. And then things ramped up quickly and now here we are with a son and another.
Speaker 4: On the way.
Speaker 2: It's it's so interesting.
Speaker 5: You talk about the stereotype from people going to reality shows, which I think is very true and it's probably fair in a lot of ways. But your time on the show, if I remember it correctly, it felt like you were kind of going within that line of like, hey, this is how a reality show works. And there's like a moment kind of towards the end where things got more serious that you kind of started to speak up and you tried to go against the grain of really what the show was. So, when you signed up for the show and you said yes for the show, did you go into it with any kind of like intentional ways that you were going to progress through it or were you just doing it trying to be yourself throughout it and getting kind of mixed up in the whole madness that is the Bachelorette.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a phenomenal question. So unlike most people. I don't know your gout story. But unlike most people who sign themselves up for the show and whether they get a reality TV coach or not and get studied up on you know what they're going to go up against.
Speaker 5: Time out, there's reality television coaches Like excuse me, I didn't know that was a thing. If there are no.
Speaker 1: Dang fifty percent of the dudes on my season admitted to that.
Speaker 3: What do you mean they had a coach or they had like a gal pal back at home that had watched it.
Speaker 5: I had like friends that were like, Hey, this is what happens on this show, but I never.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe that was a bit much. So to your point, I don't know the details. It could have been a friend that was on Survivor or whatever. You know, given you know tips and tricks, but anyway to answer your question, I definitely just full transparency here. You know, at that season of my life, I was trying to.
Speaker 4: Figure out what to do.
Speaker 1: I was working for my brother, and I just got done playing college baseball, and.
Speaker 4: I was just like a typical.
Speaker 1: Baseball player who found this identity in baseball and was working through that and trying to find out what to do with his life, and just typical jock who was like, all right, what do I do now? And then my sister in law was a fan of the show from years back. I just got out of a pretty tough breakup graduating college, and she's like, oh, I'm gonna sign Luke up. I had no idea. I thought it was a prank call. I got a call in the truck, like from LA and they asked me to proceede the application process, and I was like, are some prank calling here?
Speaker 4: Anyway?
Speaker 1: Long story short, I saw because Houlton season was airing, and I'm like continuing down the application process and starting to realize that they keep asking me for the next step, and the next step like Okay, this actually might happen, And I was just totally naive personality wise.
Speaker 4: I noticed that Hannah.
Speaker 1: Brown got selected, and then she made a few comments on Colton season like she was striving to be a wife of noble character or excuse me, p thirty one woman, which is Proverbs thirty one talking about the wife and noble character, which is like the perfect blueprint to literally the the perfect attributes of the perfect wife. And I'm thinking, oh, man, she wants to be a Pieter. Anyone woman like this would be the only thing that brings me on a reality TV show where you share a girlfriend with multiple dudes and try to narrow it down the one, which seems crazy. Yeah, And I just went into it honestly thinking that it was just again totally naive, thinking, oh, this has got to be, you know, God ordained. This has got to be why this crazy series of events and has happened in my life, and all these dots are connecting, and this has got to be why I'm going to go on the show. So that is kind of why you see me sit the mold, if you will, in in and on that season of like having this odd confidence in thinking I'll make it to the end, and then also just a whirlwind of other you know variables if you will not to mention it kind of shot myself in the foot a few times. But we won't have to get into all the like what aired and what didn't air and all that stuff. But I don't know, did you guys watch the full season?
Speaker 4: Both of you actually?
Speaker 3: And uh, yes we did. It has been a while, you know, I'm looking back memory. You were always somebody that the guys weren't the biggest fan of, and then you're most known, of course for when it comes down to fantasy suites. So if knowing about fantasy Suites going into the show and what you were thinking of Hannah, what did you expect was going to happen?
Speaker 1: And I can I just say this before I answered that question, and then I'd actually like you to re answer it. I just want to be transparent here for a second, because it's it's been a minute. I mean, I get to share a little bit of my story and what I.
Speaker 4: Learned from the show.
Speaker 1: Pretty frequently, because there's a list of things I got to learn and how I how I deal with them in a positive and a positive way now in my life. But I won't lie like just thinking about all the things I went through on a deep level and trying to talk about certain details. I won't lie, it's it's pretty hard for me. This is definitely one of the hardest things I've ever gone through in my entire life. And you guys got to see the light that was you know, portrayed on me and and through that process, and again, I'm so thankful for it. It's helped me grow so in that season of my life. It helped me grow so much as a man. It helped me grow so much and truly realizing what I wanted in a future wife. And it truly helped me grow a lot in my relationship with God so and grow closer to my family because they were I was dragging them through the mug with me through the entire experience. But I say all to say, I really want to do my best to be real on this podcast and try to provide your audience with value. And I have to bring up the fact that you know, I still am under contract for the rest of my life with you know, Warner Brothers and whatnot.
Speaker 3: We are, right, do you understand how to teeter the line?
Speaker 2: I don't know if I know how to teeter that line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know that.
Speaker 5: I think maybe let's rephrase Ashley's question a little bit here, because I think her question did bring out two scenarios.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: It did feel like watching it, the guys were not like it did feel like you were isolated on your own island, that they were not a fan of you, maybe is the most like direct way to say it. And it felt like the Fantasy Suites were a moment where it was like this this whole season we were kind of watching and wondering, Hey, who is this guy and like what is he about to do? It feels like the guys see something that maybe we don't see yet in him, and then it kind of all explodes right towards the end, which is always the worst time to explode, because then the show ends like two weeks later and you're still getting talked about and like you haven't had a chance for explanation. And I think the show good, bad, and different, it doesn't give the moment for explanation, even if that explanation is one that the fans still won't enjoy or like or get behind. At least you know, now years removed, looking back, as you said, you've grown you can explain.
Speaker 2: So I think the now with what you said. When a rephrase that would.
Speaker 5: Be we know what you did, we know what you said, we know how you went through it, we know how the people viewed you. What have you learned like during that time that we didn't see with your family and your friends, and like what were you feeling? Because my notes here said like you got defensive publicly.
Speaker 2: I think absolutely, And.
Speaker 5: I think that just makes it feels like you're doubling down, so the audience doubles down.
Speaker 2: But if we can like pull off all that.
Speaker 5: Now yours removed, You're married with a kid and another kid on the way, and life's looking good. What was going on in your head? What were you feeling walk us through that season? Yeah, maybe we didn't get to experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And I'd love to dive into I got a lot I feel like I need to say before I dive into, like what I learned.
Speaker 4: And I know that this will.
Speaker 1: Help provide every listener on here some value just how they can approach their life, all areas of life as far as perspective goes. But yeah, first let me just quick way a quick foundation. I know I talked about, you know, going on the shows naive didn't really know I was getting into kind of like the whole you know, I'm an ex athlete, super competitor, and.
Speaker 4: Which makes sense for the rugby scenes on the.
Speaker 1: Show, and and and again naive, but thinking, oh, this has got to be this has got to be.
Speaker 4: Why I'm going on the show is because.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be the guy so naive, extreme competitor on levels that some people can't comprehend, but also a man that wants to be delicate.
Speaker 4: And wants to be gentle.
Speaker 1: And share his faith like a man, a man of God right, that wants to share his faith and share why he does the things he does.
Speaker 5: And let me add into this, yes, because I think you said something I want to add to this, and I absolutely it's very rude, but I guess I do want to add to thought. And also somebody that went into it feeling a bit like God ordained this experience, like that this was that you were on a almost divine path towards your wife by entering into the show, which I think is also a huge element when you're explaining your emotions.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So, to say the least, I was served up a big old serving of humble pop and I think. I think that is part of my story, you know, is I go on there thinking this has got to be it and having it done my way in my mind, like I had a vision of how the whole season was going to play out, how the filming was going to play out, and it didn't play out anywhere remotely close to my vision. So I the whole time tried always bringing it back to my path that I had a vision for, essentially leaning on my own understanding, right and not just trying to let go and focus on, Hey, what does God actually have in store for this path of my life? And it was it was just the whole thing was a crucible, you know, it was a runing process, if you will. I was like trial by fire. I guess it's a better way to put it. And it really tested me and who I was. You know, if you're putting a crucible and a lot of pressures applied and you're squeezed, who you truly are.
Speaker 4: Is what comes out.
Speaker 1: And I realized I had a lot of things that I was dealing with in my life, and I can't wait to talk about some of those things that were revealed to me that I grew through and again, I'll get there. But as far as you know, you asking like take us through the season, like what were you thinking? What were you feeling the emotions? Man, that is a deep loaded question, but I'll try to keep it short and concise here. Essentially, I was in like, all right, the mindset of all right, I'm going to go into this without any expectations, but also kind of back of my head like, oh, this has got to be wise because I'm gonna end up with, you know, Hannah Brown. And then I started really getting selfish with no, no, this is how it's going to be. And then the competitor in me came out. I mean, let's be let's be real. I mean I knew this going in. You know, it's not a typical dating scenario when you're sharing your girlfriend with thirty other dudes to start, you know, and then it starts narrowing down. It's almost like a gladiator setting where it's like last man standing. You got to compete to show that you're the one, which is an absolute recipe for disaster if you're truly competing, right, like, you should just be authentic and be yourself. And I think that's what really got in the way of Like I said earlier, there's many times where I shot myself on the foot, whether it was you know, the rugby scene, things that came out of my mouth, you know, lying to some of the contestants. And we'll get there and I'll answer why some of those things happened. But that's essentially what was going on in my mind, and it was just an absolute domino effect to disaster. But again for sure isolated. A lot of the guys had singled me out that point and they're really questioning, I can't why.
Speaker 4: Are you keeping this guy around.
Speaker 1: I kept hanging around till the end, and then there's obviously a lot of questions you guys could ask me about the ending of everything, but I'll just say this, it was definitely very emotional for me because I also had expectations of you know, who handles and who I wanted Hannah to be versus you know, what she wanted and who she was, So that, you know, also has a little bit.
Speaker 4: To do with how the ending, you know, panned out.
Speaker 5: Tell me if I'm wrong, but to remove most of it, to simplify it down to a point, you came onto the show with an arrogance and an expectation orally that I'm assuming where we'll get to on where that has spit you out. But you walked into it believing that this was you know, I mean I had a similar prayer, which was God closed one door if this isn't meant for me, and every door slammed open. And I think I see a lot of the reasoning for that. Doesn't mean it was easy and that I didn't learn along the way, but I think there is this expectation where, hey, this is so weird that I'm going to say yes to this dating show, so against anything else that's been brought up to me in life. This has to be for a purpose of some kind. But I think the difference would have been there you were walking and knowing who the bachelor was going to be and believing that this was something that was meant to be a part of your story. So there was a little arrogance or a lot of arrogance. I won't you can clarify there was.
Speaker 1: A little to start, and then it became a lot.
Speaker 5: Okay, fair, and now you can continue because I think that's a great platform to kind of push off on why the season played out the way it did.
Speaker 3: Can I have one question that that if you if you did feel like this was God calling you to find your wife and your wife being Hannah did what did you think he was calling the other twenty nine guys for?
Speaker 1: And again in that moment, because that was again me dealing with arrogance and being naive, I believe he called me to be them, to be steps under my feet to get there. Now, that's not what I would think now. And again the arrogant guy that was, Oh, this is why I'm here, That's what I thought.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that leads perfectly into could now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, Yeah, So anyway, so I just want to dive into this one pound set. I'm going to kind of change the conversation for a minute and dive into this because there's a list of things I learned and we can get into others. But I think this is probably the best message I could give to bring some listeners value here, because man, I was humbled and I think that this really helped me and has continued to help me.
Speaker 4: A lot in my life.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk about an insecurity that I didn't know I had that the show like exposed how big this insecurity was.
Speaker 4: My life.
Speaker 1: It didn't take me.
Speaker 4: Let me back up.
Speaker 1: It took me coming off the show for several weeks after episodes are airing, and I don't know exactly how many, but let's say it was just a couple of months after the you know, episodes start airing, and I'm sitting down with my brother and a mentor of my mind who happened to be my brother's father in law, and we're sitting down in his office and they're like, all right, Luke, yeah, let's sit down and talk about this. They're like, hey, we can understand why you did, you know, the whole Rugby stuff, you know, this thing over here, We can understand the Balogney scene, whatever, but like this one moment, you're standing from this other guy named Luke.
Speaker 4: Luke s.
Speaker 1: Tell us what happened because you literally lied to that guy straight to his face. And I'm sitting there and it took me a long time of like I'm trying to deflect and give excuses, and I'm like, well, this and that, and the producers behind the scenes over here, you know, manipulating me in this.
Speaker 4: All these different things. And then my brother stopped me.
Speaker 1: He goes, look, dude, you need to start taking ownership because you're just deflecting. And it took me several minutes of silence of just really trying to reflect, and I told him, I go, well, I'll be honest. You know, the words that came out of my mouth and my actions did not line up with truly who I am, what I believe it. And I was worried about what everyone in the room was thinking to me. And my brother looked at me. He was like, brother, brother, I'm proud of you, like you're taking ownership. Finally, and my mentor at the time, his name is Bucky, he goes, now, we're making some progress, and he goes, let's talk about it, because that is fear of man. So I want to talk about this insecurity and it's essentially what most people know.
Speaker 4: As being self conscious.
Speaker 1: Right, So this idea that you're so worried about what other people are thinking of you that literally the way you walk, the way you talk in your actions don't even line up with who you are and what you believe in.
Speaker 4: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: So I started thinking replaying it, I'm like, I got eight cameras on me in the room. I got all these guys lined up. Luke gas is talking to me about conversations you know, he's having with Hannah, I'm having with Hannah that I literally just lie to his face because I'm worried about all what everyone else is thinking, except for saying truly what I believe. Almost like this like people pleaser type personality came out right, and it was all because I had fear of man and I was too self conscious, and I started talking to my mentor my brother a lot on it. And I think it's truly an amazing perspective if no matter what we're talking about in life, whether it's business, family relationships, anything like, really pay attention to the times in the moments where what you're saying, what you're doing isn't lining up with who you are and what you believe it. And I think a lot of the time, whether it's like silly things like I started thinking I was really doing a debrief on my entire life, like for example, like me sitting in algebra class and not raising my hand and asking the professor, hey, will you answer this question for me? Because I was too worried about other people thinking I wasn't intelligent in the room, and I would literally wait so after class to talk to a friend who's really good at college algebra and ask him for tutoring license because I was too scared to literally raise my hand and ask professor a simple question that I'm sure other people probably had a similar question in the room. But yet we start thinking, oh, you know, so and so might be thinking this is me or this is me, And I just wanted to share a quick scenario that I think is pretty cool, A quick little like mini mindset tool, And it's how you describe fear. So if you line up F E A R, fear is false evidence appearing real. And this is this is a little phrase if you will, or perspective mindset tool, if you will. That another mentor gave me as well. And I love this scenario. It's kind of crazy, if they'll just bear with me for a second. So picture all of us right now, the three of us standing on the top of a skyscraper. Just really it's all dully and there's kind of like a little thing that we can walk out on. That's pretty scary, right, you know, if you lose your balance, you're going to fall. If I go out on this high plank, If you will, on this skyscraper. Now, if fear is fake, right, it's false evidence appearing real. If I walk out on this skyscraper, I'm for sure gonna be freaking out.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: If I lose balance, I'm literally gonna fall off and I'm not gonna make it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Danger is real, but fear is fake. It's false evidence appearing real. So if I have great balance, right, I can perfectly fine walk out on this high plank and turn around and walk back. But when I start walking up out on it, I look down and that false evidence starts appearing like it's gonna become a reality, and it scares me. Now, the danger is real, but the fear is fake. If I would just stay calm and walk out perfect balance and walk back, I'd be totally fine. And similarly, when you walk into a room, sometimes you might be self conscious of, oh, you know, my ears might look big, or I don't know if I look good in this outfit, or my shoes don't match my shorts. Like we start sometimes in life start giving people these notions like, oh, they got to be thinking this and me, and a lot of times they're not thinking at all of that of you. At the end of the day, like people are going to listen to what you say, and they're going to pay attention.
Speaker 4: To what you do. They're not worried about your appearance.
Speaker 1: And having the thought this is another little nugget that my brother shares with me and is just like this, like what should matter most to me is what God thinks of me and not everyone else. Then I serve an audience of one as my focus, then that will allow me to go into any scenario. If I can just keep that my focus and bringing exactly who I am what I believe in to the table, being perfectly authentic, which obviously I'm a human, I'm not gonna be perfect. But if I can focus on those things and be free of worrying too much about what other people think of me, then truly I can step into any scenario and what comes out of my mouth and my actions will line up with who I am, what I believe in.
Speaker 5: I think there's two things there that when you're when you're walked in front of a million people who don't share the same faith tradition as you, probably look at it and can use to to weaponize it. And honestly, fairly, I think we both would have to say fairly because they see this man who's speaking out granted goodness, gracious, like not gonna say like, you know, you're the worst scum of the earth for doing it, But it's it's it's I think it came to the audience's mind was your man is speaking out and then you lie. But then at the same time you're still holding others to a moral standard that you don't seem to be, as you said, with your actions showing yourself, and I think it it does confuse the audience. And I also think there is this element too, where you know, pleasing God is the focus, but there's also this beautiful opportunity to try to get along with the jew and the gentile wherever they're at in life, and to try to relate with everyone and to speak with them in a language that helps people get along. And I think that's where a lot of this gets confusing. Is it felt like it was this like almost dogmatic, like this is how things are going to go mentality. And then we have this scenario with Luke S. I didn't remember his last initial, but Luke S. The people are like, wait, this guy over simple term is a hypocrite in this moment, not in general, but in this moment, and he seems he seems to show no regard for another really beautiful you know principle of let's try to get along with people. Let's try not to be the one that's always bucking the fringes here and pushing people aside. And so I think that's where fans, because we're here today to say, yeah, man, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think there's anybody.
Speaker 5: Maybe there is some troll out there as like that dude sucks, say the same thing for me and Ashley as well. So you're not alone in that camp that people think we suck. I think most people are like just confused at this, like almost aggressive take you took on this is how things are going to go, this is what's right and wrong, and if you're not following the lead, move aside. So I find the most interesting element of all this because we've admitted you've learned a lot. It's amazing, it's beautiful, like people can learn from that this the show humbled you. And I think that's the most interesting element that I want to go back to, is loot your faith is important to you because you've had an interaction with the divine that's changed your life forever. Nobody's gonna doubt that. But this show was a really hard season of for you. But also the tough seasons allow us amazing growth and so through this kind of getting slapped in the face with humble Pie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was going like?
Speaker 5: What like when did you get humbled? I mean, was it the Bucky moment where and he said take ownership, buddy, now we're doing something. Was it the hate that came and feeling like you couldn't do anything right? Like walk us through this this season from arrogance to humility to then growth.
Speaker 2: From the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I have three three moments to stick out in my head, and I'll try to be quick about them. One moment was when I was in Greece trying to thank hold on what week is that? That's that's the very end of the season. So I mean I got I got some humble pie early on in the show, like in the middle, I guess of the show as far as that goes, like slowly starts realizing how things were gonna go in the season. I didn't know I was going to be completely villainized. Villainized, yes, thank you, but yeah, somewhere so Greece was Fantasy Sweets Week and I remember sitting and man, it was beautiful.
Speaker 4: We're in We're on the eye on the creek in.
Speaker 1: The middle of the Mediterranean, and like I have like perfect place to feel like light in joy and I'm feeling the opposite. And I have my own like master suite. I got my own private pool and balcony. I remember sitting there alone in my room, waiting on a handler to come hang out with me, and it was a down day. We started filming the next day and I remember sitting there no cell phone, because you know, you land in LA and they take your phone.
Speaker 4: You don't see it again until the season.
Speaker 1: Depending on who you are, you might have a privilege here and there, but like maybe one phone call because of hometowns or something. And I'm sitting there and it hit me I have no one to ask questions.
Speaker 4: And that was another thing I learned was about community.
Speaker 1: Like, man, if you're going through something in your life, like tell a brother or a sister about it, you know, reach out to some friends and try to have some wise guidance and wise counsel in your life. So we didn't have that right we get our phones taken. So I remember that being one moment of feeling like, honestly just lonely, and I started feeling like I have all these questions I want to ask a lot of people in my life who are very wise about how to handle relationships and how to analyze situations, and I need help, and I feel isolated at this point. I'm so far in this thing, I don't really know what to do. So that was one moment I just felt really alone, and then just lack of community.
Speaker 4: And then there was a moment when.
Speaker 1: I was I really don't remember what episode just got released, but it was like two or three weeks in of so about two or three episodes.
Speaker 4: In of me being villainized.
Speaker 1: And I remember being home talking to my brother about because we're just talking about business, like, Hey, what do you want to do for a living? Now you're going to have eventually this following. You know, what do you want to use your utilize your platform for? Is it you know, a fitness business?
Speaker 4: Is it this?
Speaker 1: You know, let's let's utilize this platform. But yet that's part of our conversations and then the other part of our conversations, and I'm like dude, I want to run from the world. I want to delete my Instagram. I'm getting all this hate. I'm villainized now. I'm literally have like dms in my inbox, like dude, you are a piece of crap, like go kill yourself, Like and that's a pretty you know, like some really harsh dms of all the things under the sun you could you could think of.
Speaker 4: And it hit me in that moment. I was like.
Speaker 1: Why, Like why God would you put me through this? I thought it was for this girl at that moment. Also, I knew why it wasn't for her, but I was still wrestling, like how could any good come from this? And I was wrestling. There's no other way to put it. I was wrestling with God and I was still just and I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunn if you will. I couldn't see the good that was going to come from it. I couldn't see all these open doors in the future of my life that were going to be opened. I could I didn't see all these things he was going to use me for in the future of my life, to grow me as a man. Like I said, I didn't see my future wife at that time, I didn't see the beautiful wife I was gonna marry, and the beautiful son I was going to have in the future, and all these business opportunities and ways that I could use my platform in a positive way to really help people, because that's essentially what I believe I'm probably do on surface, inspire people to be the best version themselves and inspire people to get to know God, their creator. And that's what I've been on a warpath to, you know, live in my purpose and do and I'm doing my best to pursue that. And I didn't see any of that. I was just felt like I hit rock bottom. I'm getting all these dms of you know, go kill yourself, you're a worthless like you should just you know, do this, do that.
Speaker 4: You're you know, a piece of this, piece of that, and.
Speaker 1: I was I was again, even with family and having the people in my life that were in my inner circle that I could rely on and you know, get Wise's counsel from, I was getting all that, and I was still just broken because I didn't understand why I had gone through all those things.
Speaker 4: And it took me a bit of time.
Speaker 1: But then I started realizing as I'm you know when I say, I was broken, Like man, I was just crying into my pillow, wondering why and thinking, how's it gonna look next week.
Speaker 4: I had no idea it was gonna look like that. I can't imagine next week.
Speaker 1: Like the lead up the Monday night primetime television for ABC as The Bachelorette was like so daunting every lead up to every episode, I was like, just I just want to turn off the world, like the light switch. And again I can laugh about it now, but like it was the hardest thing and I by far have ever gone through in my entire life, and.
Speaker 4: Way worse than the cross for games.
Speaker 1: And I finally grasped this thing, I guess this perspective, and it was that hurt people, hurt you. And that's what burdened me as far as like we want to talk about you know, I forget the phrases or the language that are thrown around a lot besides just hate if you will, like, let's talk about social media, because everyone feels like they have a voice to be heard on social media, especially the trolls that will DM you all sorts of craziness. And I truly was burdened for those people because I received so many direct messages of just hate. And I realized that people that have true, deep issues in their life, that are truly hurt themselves have no problem with hurting others. It's the only thing they know how to do to cope with it. And that was a big thing I learned, was hurt people hurt people, and I started to not listen.
Speaker 5: Just for clarity, are you throwing yourself into the hurt category or others others?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So as I was hurt and broken and then started to recover, I started realizing because man, I really wanted to delete my social media because it was rough, Like I didn't want to listen to the noise, you know.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 1: I finally started I mean, I wouldn't if I saw dms. I'd let my uh my brother read those.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't read. I wouldn't read all those beause there's a lot of hate.
Speaker 1: But I guess what I'm saying is when I fully started grasping and understanding like, Okay, just like you guys, right, God has a plan for your life. And I started realizing, Okay, there is light at the end of the tunnel and I started developing this you know, confidence and encouragement again and you know, his plan, and then finally.
Speaker 4: Started seeing some fruits slowly you know, happened from it.
Speaker 1: But again from a psychological standpoint, what I'm saying is people that have issues in their life and that are hurt whatever it is they're going through.
Speaker 4: They will they have no problem hurting other people.
Speaker 1: Like I'm talking about trolls that are, you know, gonna throw shade until you to go kill yourself because they're hiding behind a screen on Instagram. That's what I'm referring to. And that helped me have a better understanding of I guess a better It helped me receive those messages better because really, I just it didn't hurt my feelings these messages. It really started making me hurt for those individuals because I want to see those broken hearts be mended, you know. And that didn't happen overnight. I mean talking about this moment where I was broken myself, and then I would say it took several months after the show. This is the third moment. So you asked again, I'm trying to stick to the question here of like take me through you know, these times when you were going through these things, your emotions and what you're feeling. I'd say it took me several months post the last final episode because that was a whole other thing in itself of I kind of got over it, and then the mentell all.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 1: That was rough, and it took me several months after that to kind of honestly recover and be in a healthy place mentally. Several months, I would I was definitely a healthy place mentally, like directly after, but like I'm human, like going through whether it's like like we just talked about, whether it's hate on Instagram or if I was posting something of me and my family, like trying to tell a story of me spending time with my family on my Instagram, I'll just get hundreds of comments of hate about the show, and I'm like, guys, can I just like live my life over here?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: So that I mean, like, you guys know how it is. You know, like months to recover from that, because like I said, you guys know how it is. You'll post something probably of your family and then if you guys are trending, you know, on Twitter or something, or maybe the Bachelor. You know, posts something about you, you know you'll get flooded comments on the thing you post. It's nothing to do with the show. That is about a particular scene on the show, And it's like, really, come on, I.
Speaker 3: Do want to talk about a certain scene on the show because it was the scene that you're most notorious for, right, it was the scene where you and Hanna. Well, I guess there is the rose and the podium move. We could get there. But I was thinking about when you guys had that conversation where you said that if you'd sup with anybody, Hannah, I wouldn't be interested in continuing this. Now, given everything that you've learned, how would you navigate that conversation now?
Speaker 1: To be completely honest, I thought I handled and navigated that conversation perfectly. But ninety percent of what came out of my mouth did not air, and I can't share it because I'm under contract. But I will say this, it did not pan out the way it showed. That's all I want to say. I'll say this.
Speaker 4: Just to be clean up the contract situation.
Speaker 5: Because you got sued right like right after the show. That was like public information, right.
Speaker 1: Well, this this was my issue with the whole contract situation is I moved addresses and they were sending me notices because like I told you guys, it took me several months to get in like a healthy place how I viewed this whole situation.
Speaker 4: So I went on. I went on a terror and got on like.
Speaker 1: Dozens of podcast platforms and broke contract of sharing everything that happened behind the scenes, everything that was said to me. I'd be curious to go jennified. They were still alone anyway, and I didn't know that I would get sued. I think it was twenty or twenty five thousand dollars per breach of contract. Was there like rule thumb, And I didn't even know I was getting notices in the mail, and I had a bunch in my old address. And then finally, you know, months into going on all these podcasts and spill all the tea, I noticed that I was sued a lot of money.
Speaker 3: Were right, they didn't email you call you because we've gotten calls before, being like Ashley Ben, can you be a little bit more careful.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think.
Speaker 1: I got a couple of emails saying like it was but it wasn't it was they're vague emails. They weren't like, hey, you're preaching contracts.
Speaker 4: Stop it.
Speaker 1: Like it was just emails of contacting them like hey, we'd like to speak to you, and I'm like, I'm not talking to you.
Speaker 4: It's not happening.
Speaker 5: That was my point, was the reason you're so nervous about the contract is because it has been a thing for you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I had to get a very expensive lawyer to help me not pay them a penny when I was supposed to pay them a lot of money. And yeah, so that that was like a year drawn out process with the lawyer.
Speaker 2: I get where you're nervous.
Speaker 5: Then, So back to Ashley's question with it, which is that conversation and how it went you would have done it differently. I understand why the contract is such a focus point when it comes to these conversations, specifically about moments of the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but to answer it, we'll let you continue.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so, And look like, I just want to be clear about this because it's hard for me sometimes to get in certain details and talk about Hannah because I don't talk to Hannah currently. I don't I remember the first few years after the show, I was really hoping that she and I could reconnect. I reached out to her via DM, email, any platform you could think of. I've tried reaching out to her multiple times. And look, I'm not throwing shade or hating on her for not replying.
Speaker 4: If I were her, I.
Speaker 1: Probably wouldn't reply either. I don't even know if she saw any of them. You know, she had so many messages beyond my crazy amount of messages in my inbox. So I'll say this, I want what's absolute best for her. You know, I don't anymore. I mean, but I remember vividly after the show, just pouring my heart out for her in prayer, praying for her future and her family and her heart. So you can imagine, you know, my heart was very invested in that show. So I said a lot of the things I said on the show to be kind of crazy, you know, like how can you tell someone you love them or feel so anyway? Not to get in those details either, but be so invested in someone that's a short period of time, and that was very again naive about a lot. But to answer your questions, Bess, I can ashually sorry for you know, being a little dodgy, but.
Speaker 4: I'll say this. I it was this simple.
Speaker 1: I held Hannah not to a standard of my own, which I did, but more so how I handled that situation was I was trying to hold her to a standard that she said she wanted.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're talking about my hometown date.
Speaker 1: Like she literally came and talked to my youth ministry, which I was helping lead, like the college and young adults at my church at the time, and that was my hometown date. She literally came to spend like a meal and spend time with about fifty people at my church, young like kids in the youth ministry, and she shared her testimony and share her story of how she came to know God, and shared all these things that she wasn't going to do in the fantasy suites because she was going to further conversation in the relationship. And she shared this path that I for sure was going to hold her to that standard of Oh, this is what you want, good, this is what I want.
Speaker 4: Let's get on this path.
Speaker 1: And look not to say anything about her in any judgmental way, Like again, I'd pray for her in her future. And I've heard that because I don't really keep up with her. But I've heard she's doing great now and that makes me happy. I don't know all that she's involved with. But that was why it panned out the way it did is I was just trying to follow what she was saying. And that's again I'm trying to be as clear and concise as possible.
Speaker 5: I think you're making sense. I think you're making sense. In the you felt like you were communicating to her things that you believed, either correctly or incorrectly.
Speaker 4: That she wanted exactly.
Speaker 5: And we saw ten percent of what you say is a longer conversation where you communicate with her, and.
Speaker 2: I do I mean, I think you know it did.
Speaker 5: It came off as uh, it came off as dogmatic, it came off as aggressive as and I guess one of the beautiful parts about the infamous segment is we will never know, because that whole footage will never be shown, of what that conversation looked like and the sensitivity you took walking into it, the wisdom that you took walking into it to communicate to her not just what you think she wanted, but what you wanted, which I think is such a vital piece of the show. Is and really of so many scenarios we've all learned from is making sure that you're communicating what you.
Speaker 2: Want and not putting your own.
Speaker 5: Opinions on somebody else because maybe you know, the assumptions that you made were things that she took offensively.
Speaker 2: Now I find your story you need.
Speaker 5: Because you've spoken here throughout this hour about what you wanted to use your platform for and it wass we close. We started this whole show with a conversation now about your wife, your son, kid on the way, also years removed from the show, and I'm still trying to get to be honest, I don't know how else to say it, still trying to get.
Speaker 2: Out of you what you've learned.
Speaker 5: Like it feels like there's still this like defensiveness when it comes to this season, and maybe that's rightfully so, because we haven't seen at all, Like we don't.
Speaker 2: See it all. But maybe the way to get to it is.
Speaker 5: Now you're a husband, the show is behind you, New chapters begin, new careers are starting this season of life with the show and the humility that it brought you to and the confusion that it brought you towards, and the lessons that you learned it spit you out now today to be what man to your wife, to your son, to the kid on the way, to your friends.
Speaker 2: How did it change you? Maybe is the best way to ask it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, We talked about the fear Man conversation, the whole being self conscious right to the point where what comes out of your mouth and what your actions don't line up with who you are and what you believe in. So let's just I'll put a quick little summary statement over that as far as what I learned right is be authentic, right, be who you are, no matter the circumstance.
Speaker 4: Okay, And then I'd say, you know.
Speaker 1: I did touch on a little bit of the community aspect, right, like make sure you have some people in your corner that will fight for you and be real and tell you not just what you want to hear, but what you need to hear, which is impossible on the show because your cell phone gets stripped from you and you have zero communication with the outside world. So right, always making sure you have people in your corner that will push you to be your best and hold you accountable to standard that you want to hold.
Speaker 4: And then another one.
Speaker 1: That would be as far as what I learned is hey, look like, no matter what you've done in your life, that does not define me. What's most important is what you go through is how you're going to handle it. And a lot of people say, hey, what you go through, you can either go through it and take a seat, or you can grow through it and learn from it and make the most out of it. And that's essentially what I've done. My best to do from my experience on the show is not just go through it, but grow through it. And you know, I've learned that authenticity is the way be real and don't worry about whether people are thinking. Stay true to who you are and what you believe in. I'd say that's definitely what's most important.
Speaker 5: And so just just that in there, because I do think it's a nugget that's really essential. And Ashley and I've talked about before, but you're saying, I think people can hear this, and if they don't come from a similar faith background, they're jump they could jump to conclusions. But this fear of man and being an authentic is only done well in life when you have the openness to be held accountable by others as well.
Speaker 4: So that's good.
Speaker 5: Running your race straightforward, being authentic and burning down every bridge and every human that comes in your path. Even though that is authentic, it's not healthy. It's not what God has called you to. It's not at any level of a of a way that you would expect somebody to be a witness or to help and not her this world. And so you can only be authentic and correct me here, I'm making a statement to try to clarify. Yeah, what you're saying. You can only be authentic if you're also willing to be held accountable by a trusted group that will stand up and say check yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's good. I would agree with that.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Luke, Well, we just wanted to We want to say thank you, and we also want to get your last thoughts on Hannah Brown. She's about to get married. You said that you didn't really keep up with her. She is getting married this month to her fee. Yeah, so we just kind of wanted to see if you had anything to sit her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would, I mean, I would say this, you know, I hope she has an incredible marriage. I pray that God blesses it in the name of Jesus, and I hope her and her husband have a incredible marriage. Yeah, and I hope bored willing, they have beautiful children.
Speaker 2: What's her husband's name, Ashley Adam Adam. He's a stud.
Speaker 3: He's a stud.
Speaker 5: Luke, thank you for joining us today. Thank you for sharing this. I know it's not easy with the contractual, the fear.
Speaker 3: Of contract, and we understand it's very frustrating to tell your story when you can't, you know, say every line that.
Speaker 2: Was, But I think you successfully did it.
Speaker 5: I don't see any red flags here that they're gonna say, Oh.
Speaker 2: The fear of contract is something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hopefully they'll notice this in the mail to be.
Speaker 5: Weariosome of Luke. Thanks for joining us today. Hey, best of luck in the next chapter for you. I know you said that you're going to be transitioning from what you've been doing to what is coming. And then also your second child is on the way.
Speaker 2: Uh so.
Speaker 5: Goodness gracious, congratulations on one and now two beautiful wife in this family that you have.
Speaker 2: And I know new.
Speaker 5: Chapters are always exciting but also scary, so we wish you the best.
Speaker 4: Thank you, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you Sea, Sea. Well that was Luke Parker and until next time. I've been Ashley and.
Speaker 2: I'm in Ben. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Follow the Ben and Ashley I Almost Famous podcasts on iHeartRadio or subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts.