Speaker 1: Are your ears bored? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you looking for a new podcast that will make you laugh, learn, and say get Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then tune in to Look At Though Our Radio Season ten.
Speaker 2: Today, Okay, look at Our Radio is a radiophonic novella, which is just an extra way of saying a podcast.
Speaker 1: Season ten of Look At Thought Our Radio is totally nostalgic. We're diving in with a four part series about the Latinos who shaped pop culture in the early two thousands.
Speaker 2: But that's not all.
Speaker 1: Season ten is also launching in the wake of LA wildfires and a new Trump presidency. As always, we're leaning into community by conducting critical interviews with people leading the efforts to rebuild LA and fight back against oppression.
Speaker 2: Tune in to Look at Our Radio Season ten. Now that's what I call a podcast. Love with every listen right.
Speaker 1: At your fingertips.
Speaker 2: Loga Olaola Loka Motes, Welcome to Season ten of lok at Dora Radio.
Speaker 1: I'm the Osa and I am Mala.
Speaker 2: Lok at Dora Radio is a podcast dedicated to archiving our present and shifting the culture forward. You're tuning in to Capituro do Sento two twenty.
Speaker 1: Nine, Last time on lok Attar Radio. We had the immense pleasure of talking to Kathleen Erles, the voice of Dora the Explorer. You may recognize my voice when I sound like this.
Speaker 2: Hi out, Dora the Explorer.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, listen to that episode, leave us a review and share with a friend.
Speaker 2: Let's just jump right in into our new segment, climax and cry. How did you climax this week? How did you cry?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? Oh my god? How did I climax this week? Well? We picture locked at school.
Speaker 2: What does picture lock mean?
Speaker 1: Yes, so picture lock means it's the point in your post production process after you make a movie where the editors lock in the picture, so everything you see on screen, frame by frame, the actual moving image is done with the editing process. Now we're not making any changes to the picture, but we are in this process of post production now where we're color grading, sound design is happening, sound mixing, our composer is creating our score. So as a producer on this documentary, it is just a huge relief to be in this phase of post production, like the movie has been made and now it's just all the bells and whistles. So that was my climax.
Speaker 2: I have to admit that's a good one. And how about you, how is your cry? Did you cry?
Speaker 1: Oh? My god, I think I cry this week and I've been sharing this with you. This is an ongoing thing. Is my dog Boppas is just giving me so much grief? I just cannot. I'm just having such a hard time, like spending enough time with him, and he's acting out in different ways, and so I'm just trying to figure out how to accommodate the school schedule, the shooting schedule, work schedule, and still making sure that like he gets all the attention that he needs.
Speaker 2: What did I tell you would be a solution? Tell them what I told you, to get a second dog. I know that that might ruin you.
Speaker 1: It'll destroy my life, but it would really help him, I know I think he need and you know what, I agree with you. And not too long ago, I saw an adorable stray dog, yes outside of my apartment, and I was walking Bopas at the time, and I literally stopped dead in my tracks because I saw this precious, precious puppy running around out and about. Sometimes people walk their dogs without a leash downtown, so I didn't like, go and snatch him right away, because I thought, Okay, well maybe he's with some but he's just not leashed. And I really, like, I really stood there and watched this dog from across the street, and I thought about it, like should I snatch up this puppy and bring him home and give my dog a companion? But I just I'll have a nervous breakdown. It's a lot, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: Having a dog is a big responsibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally get it. Yeah, yeah, but that's my climax, And cry, my poor papas he's he's acting out and it's all attention seeking behavior.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's being temperamental.
Speaker 1: He's being very temperamental. He's tearing things up, he's creating messes. But he's a dog. It's not his fault, right, Yeah, anyway, so that's my climax, and cry, don't call peta. He's fine, he's very happy and we'll take in cares. Yes, he's just he's needy. Yeah, how about you theosa with your climax? What's your cry for this week?
Speaker 2: So one of the ways that I climax this week, which super Nerdy I went to a podcasting event. Both went and it was hosted by the Signal Awards and it was about video forward podcast and the future of podcasting. And it was out here in Hollywood. It was at gold Diggers and it was a really cute venue planting seeds. Yes, we'd love to use.
Speaker 1: That venue, so whoever's listening, yes.
Speaker 2: And it was so cool because like all of our creative peers were there and there was a really good conversation about podcasting. Video is video the future of podcasting? How do we embrace it? How do we know if it's the right move for our podcast? And I thought that was really interesting. And it's a conversation that you and I have ongoing. And I just love to nerd out over those kinds of panels. I love to be in the room with other audio people and just you know, chatting it up. And so I hadn't been out like that in a while, like in the middle of the week for a work thing, and so that was really nice.
Speaker 1: It was fun. It was very fun. It was it was very nerdy. There was like a YouTube up there. There was somebody from Headspaced Space dayson Afualo, who is Drew Afualo's sister was there on the panel because they co host a podcast called Two Idiot Girls. So Dayson brought in the like, you know, content creator side of things, and yeah, I was the who's who of podcasting. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: It was very cool. I love going. I love when we're invited, and I love when we're able to go. So that was really fun. And then my cry of the week. I mean, I've talked about this before. I am ruled by the sun and it's been gloomy in La and it just bums me out. We had a really beautiful, sunny couple of weeks and then gloom this past week, and I just I just want to sleep. I don't want to go outside. I don't want to work. It's just cozy weather for me. Yes, I hate I hate it.
Speaker 1: It's uh. La is very tricky in that way where we think like, oh my god, we're done with the rain, we're done with the gloom. It's sunny now, we're in spring, we're in summer, and then it reverts right back.
Speaker 2: Yes, April is always a gloomy month. I feel it's like that saying April showers bring me flowers. We haven't really had a rainy April yet, but it is something that I know. You know, we get the gloom in April, so I'm trying not to let it affect me too much, but I you know it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's very reasonable. I feel like you and I say this every year, like we activate in the summer. Yes, we come alive.
Speaker 2: I've been defrosting, is how I've been describing it. I normally talk about blooming, but this year I'm defrosting. I love it eternally, spiritually, emotionally, I'm defrosting.
Speaker 1: It's been a cold winter, yes, in many different ways.
Speaker 2: In every sense, in every sense, everywhere, it's been a.
Speaker 1: Cold, cold, frigid winter. What is that movie? Frigid reminds me of a quote from a specific movie where she's like that, da da da da, you wouldn't be such, you wouldn't look like such a frigid bitch or something. Does this ring a bell?
Speaker 2: No? I have to think about it more.
Speaker 1: Me think about it well.
Speaker 2: From Legally Blonde. The quote is from Legally Blonde, and how does it go?
Speaker 1: It goes, I love your outfit when I but when I dress up like a frigid bitch, I try not to look so constipated. That's so good and that's l to Vivian Kensington.
Speaker 2: Yes, so good.
Speaker 1: Anyways, love the word frigid. Thank you for bringing it in today today's conversation.
Speaker 2: Actually you brought it in oh yourself quoting yourself and a movie.
Speaker 1: Oh Lord, what's happening? Well, thank you for sharing your climax and cry.
Speaker 2: So now let's move into olas. And this question was submitted by one of our listeners on Instagram, and it goes, how do you navigate a day that changes your entire mood?
Speaker 1: You are now listening to Oh Yes.
Speaker 2: I'm a moody girl. I don't know if the listeners know that about me, but I'm moody.
Speaker 1: Do you think they've picked that up over ten seasons?
Speaker 2: I hope, so.
Speaker 1: Maybe you drop little hints here and there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm kind of moody. I know that about myself. But if for me, I talked about this recently at the beginning of the season, my moodiness is now I understand it as anxiety, so I'm able to regulate and check it and I'm like, girl, it's okay, you know. But this is also why I exercise a lot, because I need the endorphins, the outlet yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm really happy that you took up tennis because you can hit things. Yes, that's good for you, it's good for me.
Speaker 2: How do you navigate a day that changes your entire mood?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I mean I think for me. I love a good nap. Yes, Sometimes you just I just need to go to sleep, Yes, and just be in darkness.
Speaker 2: And it feels better. Afterwards You're like, oh, it wasn't that bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little nap, a little rest can really change your perspective. This sounds super simple, but like a super cold like sparkling water, yes, will lift my spirits? Yes, instantly, instantly yes. And what else well, of course, like a good joint. That'll do it. Those three in combination, actually joint, sparkling water, nap, delicious, cured, cured so much better.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm a treat girl. I want a little treat, and so if I'm having a bad day, you know, it's like, let me go drive and get my little ice coffee, my ice beverage and a little croissant.
Speaker 1: You do love a little tree?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 1: You do love a little reward? I do?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm motivated if I say this all the time. If I don't have a treat a week.
Speaker 1: I will die.
Speaker 2: Immediately, immediately, I won't have that whither away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't have that. We need you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that and I think, yeah, just sometimes you just have to let yourself have a bad day and then know like tomorrow is a new day. Literally, it's true, and let yourself feel the feels, feel the anger, feel the mooniness. Just don't take it out on other people or yourself or yourself. Yes, don't self sabotage, No, because that can happen.
Speaker 1: Sometimes. I've had those moments where it's like, oh my god, everything is trash, everything is terrible. I'm trash, I'm terrible, everything sucks. Throw it all away, set it all on fire. But you can't because then everything will be trash. Yes, you know, it's just a it's just a momentary lapse m hm. And you do your little things to make you feel better. You put your little band aids on, and then you'll be okay.
Speaker 2: Your emotional band aids, your emotional band aids. Yeah, it's like the feminine urge to like run away and like run to another country. Yes, frolic in a field to gone girl, it forget everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, start a new identity.
Speaker 2: Well, frolic or gone girl. It that's like the only in between. There's like no one between. It's like one or the other.
Speaker 1: We have two options.
Speaker 2: Frolic gone girl, damn yeah.
Speaker 1: Or you listen to like some type of escapist podcast, or you watch a movie or a TV show. You do something that takes you out of your reality for a little bit and gives you that temporary relief yes, and sense of I'm somewhere.
Speaker 2: Else there we go. Yeah, Well, thank you to our listener for submitting this question. We hope this gives you a little inspo for how to navigate a moody day. It's okay to be moody.
Speaker 1: It's okay. That's why we have mood comes and goes. Yeah, if we didn't have moods like, we wouldn't need to use them. Yes, but we have them to use them. Yes, Yeah, great question.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere, lokomotives. We'll be right.
Speaker 1: Back and we're back with more of our episode.
Speaker 2: So today we have a light episode. We've been covering some politics. We had a great interview last episode, and so we just want to kind of connect with y'all and talk about the thing that consumes I feel women right now, especially if you're in your thirties at least, Like the online chatter is what it means to be in your thirties.
Speaker 1: Expectation versus reality.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, So we we're just gonna sit in this for a little bit and talk about it.
Speaker 1: We're gonna sit in the dirt, yes, in the mud. It's not that bad, it's great. I think that like when we think about our thirties, we I think talk about sex and the city quite a bit because I think for a lot of people, it's that quintessential womanhood. Yes, single womanhood, dating, womanhood in a big city, making decisions for yourself, good or bad, making a mess, having fun, falling in love, falling.
Speaker 2: Out of love, going out all the time.
Speaker 1: Constantly different outfits every episode, yes, no repeat outfits.
Speaker 2: Yes, brunching all the time.
Speaker 1: Constantly brunching. And so I think there's a maybe that creates an expectation. But what's the reality right Well, first.
Speaker 2: Of all, a lot of people are talking about Kerry Bradshaw as a character I feel on TikTok especially, I love Carrie. I think she's a messy character. She's written to be messy, she's written to be real, and people say they want a messy woman, but they don't actually like when they.
Speaker 1: Get one, when they actually see it, yes.
Speaker 2: They're like, girl, act better. No, she's dumb, Like that's part of it. There's growth, there's developments, like she's gonna make bad choices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the point.
Speaker 2: That's the point. She's going to chase after the man who doesn't really want her.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the point. That's the point.
Speaker 2: And in addition to that, I've seen folks say, or women on TikTok specifically, say, like Carrie Bradshaw and the cast are only thirty two in season one, amazing, like your season one is barely starting right, like it's okay, Yeah, if you don't have it all figured out, it's fine, and kind of that perspective of like you're just in your season one.
Speaker 1: It's true. And so in that sense, I think there are aspects of a show like Sex and the City that they are capturing, like a messiness, an internal ca like this, troubles with love and with with relationships and conflicts with friends, like that's all in there. What they don't capture, of course, because it wouldn't be glamorous or entertaining. Is the minutia, right of the thirties.
Speaker 2: They also, I mean, and this has been talked about in depth everywhere else, but Sex and the City captures a very specific type of New York. Right. It's an all white cast, they're all at least in the original series, they're all heterosexual. Right. It's a very specific type of womanhood that's being represented, so of course want to remember that. But yeah, it doesn't cover the ins and outs of what it means to be growing and being your thirties and there. But there are a couple other shows at least that we're going to be talking about today, or at least some type of representation of thirties.
Speaker 1: Of women in their thirties, And there's just I don't know, they seem there seems to be a focus on setting these types of stories in New York. I think because of the whole concrete jungle idea and making your way through this crazy, glamorous, difficult to live in place, and it just is this backdrop for I think a lot of like coming of age and coming into one's own type stories.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I feel like stuff in La tends to be more about well, if it's Latino, it's about gentrification and immigration and you're Alwilita. But for everybody else, it's like chasing your dreams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you know, I think what show does cover that kind of My new show that you talked about is Insecure, right, that's obviously based in La Yeah, And I think that was a really great representation of like being broke, trying to figure it out, dating gone wrong, friends, friends, like having messy friend groups sometimes, and like fights. I think that was I think the most realistic representation in like a diverse way, if you will.
Speaker 1: I agree. I agree, And I you know, the origins of the show being like Diaries of Awkward Black Girl and that kind of being the core of Lisa's character, like she's awkward, yeah, and so awkward things are constantly happening, which is very real. Life is filled with awkward moments, absolutely awkward interactions, awkward conversations, awkward exchanges. And that does not go away in your thirties. No, it doesn't. Maybe I think I'm less embarrassed or like I care less, but I'm like this, I'm having an awkward moment. I'm being awkward right now. This is awkward.
Speaker 2: I was just talking about that with my best friend Jackie. Was that when as a kid, I used to be ruled by embarrassment, like I wouldn't do and it really limited me now looking back, like I wouldn't do things if I was going to be embarrassed if there was now like a we use the word cringe, right, if there was like a cringe element of something, I wouldn't do it. I was very very sensitive to like being perceived, what would others think about me? And that can really limit you and what you do and how you move and with your growth as a kid, right as an adult, I've let a lot of that go. So yeah, there's still times where like, oh my god, did I say that? Okay, are they judging me? Is this embarrassing? You know, don't get me wrong, Like I still have those moments, but they don't rule my life the way they did when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: That's growth, Yeah, that's growth. Yeah, it's a working past that can be hard. I think working being an artist and working in the arts, of course we're sensitive about our shit. But over the years, I think, I know I've had to learn like I cannot let the audience scare me, and doing stand up has you cannot be afraid of the audience or they will eat you alive.
Speaker 2: I could never do stand up.
Speaker 1: It's fun, but it is hard because you have to just be prepared that everyone in the room might hate you.
Speaker 2: See, this is why I can't do stand up. I have rejection sensitivity. I will die I combusted on stage on the stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's I mean, and over the years there have been those examples of comedians whosh out on stage when the audience is just not with them and not vibing with them, and that's a career ruiner. Yeah, you really have to be okay with the complete silence or the outright hatred of you. And I think even with the podcast, like over the years, you know, we've gotten comments here and there and reviews and criticism, and if we let that stop us, we wouldn't be where we are, you know. So Yeah, I think I don't remember how we got into this conversation.
Speaker 2: Me either, But I want to say, like, even in just mean, with ten seasons, right, if you go back, sometimes we go back to season one, season two and we're like, oh, yes, I cringe a little bit a little bit love what we were doing, but sometimes the delivery I'm like, ooh, I would say that differently now, but of course, I mean it captured that moment in time in our twenties, what we were learning, what we were on at that moment, like what was really important to us at the moment, and a lot of that still is true now, but the delivery is just a little different. The frontal lobe has developed.
Speaker 1: Truly, and we have to give ourselves credit because where we maybe like could have been more eloquent or well spoken or well researched or whatever. In the early years, like there were a lot of people like putting out straight up hate speech, you know, on their social platforms and using slurs, and you know, not that that's like the bar, but in some ways that's a sort of bar.
Speaker 2: We can be very critical of what we create, and it just people in general can be very critical of themselves. You know, this goes back to my trying to grow through that embarrassment, you know.
Speaker 1: And as a community, like we have a predominantly LATINX creative community that we're a part of and a predominantly LATINX listenership, and we can be very like.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, very very.
Speaker 1: Very So it's not just like this self imposed you know, we know, we know, we know what the criticism could be, so we do it to ourselves first to protect ourselves.
Speaker 2: Our mothers taught us.
Speaker 1: Our mothers taught us criticize yourself first before the next person can do it.
Speaker 2: It's rough, it's rough, don't condone it. But that's definitely like the backdrop of how we grew up. Our moms love them for sure, very much, so of ourselves, of us themselves and others.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's almost a way to like self edit, like we edit ourselves, you know, so that like the draft that we put out, yes, you know, is like okay, this is a little more polish. Yeah, this is how I'm trying to think about it. I like that.
Speaker 2: I see that. So what were some expectations that maybe you had, either as a teenager or even in your twenties of what thirty would look like?
Speaker 1: So definitely more money, And I do think that we do have more money in our thirties than we had in our twenties, especially working with through the podcast, working our way into this network life that we're living and being under contract with iHeart. I think there is more money there, but then that also means there's more expenses, more work, and more work. I think that maybe going back to like our favorite movies The Thirteen Going On, thirty and Right and and Sex and the City. And I know that there are others out there, but I feel like in all these films, like everyone's always wearing open toad shoes. Yes, no one's ever wearing a clothes toed shoe. No one's ever wearing a sneaker.
Speaker 2: You've been wearing a lot of open toad shoes lately. Is that happening? Is that you're channeling this like rom com main.
Speaker 1: Girl maybe, but you know it's spring and I love a sandal. I am an Elle girl. I love a sandal. But also because of school, because of being in production, like you have to wear shoes, you know, on set, and if you if you're on campus, you'll notice like nobody is wearing sandals at the School of Cinematic specifically. Yeah, like everyone's prepared to like like run electricity and set up lighting and handle equipment at all times.
Speaker 2: I would wear my little heels to campus all the time, strutting through Annenberg. Yeah, I wasn't operating a heavy machinery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so that's just kind of the style is like you're in sneakers, you're in boots, and uh, you're like ready to do manual labor. Is kind of the vibe that's like the filmmaker uniform.
Speaker 2: So do you think that's that kind of effected your personal style in a way where when you're off campus, not working doing this instead of this type of work, you're like, oh, I'm going to dress up. I'm going to wear that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, And especially because I've been in the role of producer this semester, I feel like producers have a little bit more like we're on the phone, we're answering emails, we're running around, you know, Like I can be the producer and I can like wear a skirt and like a kitten heel, and that's more acceptable. If I'm operating the camera, I can't. That's great, right, you know. So yeah, I think I'm like, Okay, I'm tired and I want to wear I just want to throw on my chunk glass.
Speaker 2: You know that makes sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you expectation versus reality?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean thirteen going on thirty was definitely formative for a lot of millennials and even I saw this fabulous meme the other day about how there was like this representation of journalists in rom coms and how that was the expectation that you had for your life if you wanted to be a journalist.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So it's like Andy Anderson from How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days of course, right, she was writing like at a fashion style magazine and she just wanted to write about politics. She wanted to be a serious journalist, right, Yeah, but she's in her cute little outfits. And same with Jenna Rink from thirteen going on thirty right, also a journalist, also a journalist, you know. So I'm like, wow, the journalists, like that was a job that was like the glamorous fun job because at one point you could make a living, a good living off of being a journalist. Yeah, And I think that that moment from the early two thousands, mid two thousands brom coms captured that that job and like, oh, I'm gonna like grow up and be a journalist and it's going to be.
Speaker 1: Fabulous, and I'm going to move to New York City.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to move to New York and wear my fabulous, little open to heels on the subway every way, and I'm going to write about politics and I'm going to do a magazine rebrand and it's going to be great, fabulous, you know. So definitely expectation, not so much the reality. It didn't move to New York.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I stayed in LA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's that which is which is, and you know, La is a dream location for so many it is.
Speaker 2: I have no regrets. I have no regrets. I think it. I think that there's that fantasy, right, that expectation of like I'm going to be the person that moves to New York right at some point in my life. And I've let that part go. I'm like, that's that was not my path, and I'm confident and secure in that path that I took. But I mean, that would be the expectation that I think I had as a kid. I like, even as a kid, I remember we were in middle school assigned like you had to write to a college and ask for like them to send you a brochure because they were teaching us like how to write a formal letter, okay, and so they had us practice and send to a university. Girl I wrote to fit really, Yes, the Fashion Institute, because I was like, I'm going to be I'm going to work in fashion and I'm going to move to New York. Of course, little like middle schooler, right, And they wrote me back and they sent me a brochure, and I remember being like so excited about it. Right, Obviously my life went on it. I went and took a different path. Love the path I'm on, But I mean that's that would be like that expectation I had maybe as a kid, and then even in high school and then in my twenties, right, still kind of figuring out like what does this career look like? And you know the reality is entrepreneurs. Yeah, wild did not envision that for my.
Speaker 1: Life business owners.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's and I don't mean that in a negative way. It's just not the path that I saw myself on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love the path. We're on it, we're learning. But that would be like that for me that if I'm holding them together. Expectation reality, Oh my god, I'm an entrepreneur.
Speaker 1: Right, what right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And we definitely, I mean, I know I identify as an artist first, and I think you identify as an artist first, and it's coming to terms with the reality that maybe in film and television one can just be a painter.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, Yes, you can just be a journalist living in New York.
Speaker 1: Could just be your craft. But you have to fund your craft, and you have to monetize your craft. Yes, And so to be an artist is to be a business owner.
Speaker 2: Yes. How was Carrie Bradshaw sustaining her fabulous life for Fabulous Shoes with a weekly column.
Speaker 1: Once a week? Yes, one, there was that one episode where she was like broke. Yeah, and she went and.
Speaker 2: Asked, well, she has all her friends basically.
Speaker 1: Money but yes, and they were like no.
Speaker 2: No, well they all wanted to give her money except for the one that had the money, Charlotte. Yes, and that was like a thing.
Speaker 1: And she and Carrie was upset about that. Yes, basically like how could you not give me money?
Speaker 2: How could you not offer me money? You live on Fifth Avenue and like by the park, Like it.
Speaker 1: Was like, your financial issues are not my problem.
Speaker 2: Exactly, like get it together.
Speaker 1: Sweet. She wasn't wrong, No.
Speaker 2: She was not wrong. She was not wrong. I think Carrie. I give Carrie a live benefit of the doubt all the time. Of course, she's like when I watch her, I'm like, I see it, girl, Like, I don't agree with it, but I see it. She doesn't want it to be offered the money. I don't think she would have taken it. She did end up taking it because Charlotte did offer in the end. That was like the arc, right, But I think she just wanted the.
Speaker 1: Gesture yes, like show me that you care about me in a way that you're capable of coming through on. Yes, you know that maybe asking the other girls wouldn't be as feasible, but it's it's feasible for you. Yes, Yes, after her divorce, she did very well after her divorce. Well yeah, And that's another one, is okay, expectation versus reality. I think in these pieces of media, divorce is something that you come out of with something tangible right, and it sets you up and it's almost something to celebrate. But I think in reality we're not divorced. But in reality, I think it's a much messier, more painful, and more expensive thing.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere, lookomotives, We'll be right back, and we're back with more of our episode.
Speaker 1: What else? Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: So another like reality of being in our thirties. Oh, my god, just like the constant cleaning, just constantly cleaning, right, constantly cleaning, and it gives me so much perspective. Like growing up, I remember being like, why is my mom so insane about cleaning? She's like always up in arms, like running, like like it was a constant stress. Yes, you know, and like so and so their house is always immaculate and why no, no, no, no, no, no, no, all that. But our house was also like people were always at our house, like friends, the track team, the cross country team, like sleepovers. We always had people in our house like friends, and we would host parties and all kinds of things. And so it was also this like, oh, we're always getting ready because people are coming over. You know, someone's coming over. We gotta get ready. Someone's coming over. We gotta get ready.
Speaker 2: The house has to be clean for people to come over.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, And as an adult, it's like, okay, now I understand why it was just this constant loop. Yes, because it's a constant just reality is one is constantly cleaning, and like constantly buying paper towels, constantly buying toilet paper, constantly buying swift or wet white.
Speaker 2: It's expensive, it's expensive. Yeah, you know what else, my expectation and reality look very different. And I feel this is partly based on location. But in Sex and the City, the girls were going out all.
Speaker 1: The time, constantly.
Speaker 2: How did they have the stamina at their age, because I'm thirty one and I don't have the stamina no at all.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Granted we live through a global pandemic. Lots of things are happening. It makes sense, right, it's fictional. Yeah, they were going out all the time. But I also makes me wonder, is it also because they lived in New York and it's still walkable. So for us, it's like it could be a whole journey to go out. It's true because it's maybe further out we have to take an uber or maybe we're driving, but then there's traffic, Like it's a whole thing to go out in LA And so sometimes that will determin me like, oh, I don't really want to get ready to go out and to drive, and I'll stop myself.
Speaker 1: No truly, I mean yeah, that would be.
Speaker 2: My expectation and reality that's a little different.
Speaker 1: The expectation is like, oh, it's Friday, we're going out. It's Saturday, we're going out.
Speaker 2: Again, cocktail hour, happy hour.
Speaker 1: Yes, the reality is like how many happy hours can we really go to if you have to drive to all of them? Yes, A, yes, you know. And B It's like I feel like the women in Sex and the City, they were in their New York City apartments, So I think it's easy to like, oh, it's your tiny apartment.
Speaker 2: You're just hopping out, like got to get out. I'm going to go to my neighborhood bar, I'm going to go somewhere fabulous, because they were going to fababulous places. They were just going to the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Water, And so I think about a place like New York and instead of staying in you like your tiny little box that you live in, like you got to get out right and you don't have a yard and you don't really have your neighborhood. Is like I guess it's a neighborhood, right, but like I wouldn't. I would feel probably that claustrophobia that makes sense, you know, Yes, let me get out of here.
Speaker 2: Something I'm trying to do I'm trying to channel, especially this summer is just more impromptu gatherings, hangs, cocktail hours, if you will, Sananda and I had this day last last week where we were just like out and about the whole day and it was lovely and we hadn't had one of those days in a while where we were just like unplanned, let's just like see where we go. And we ended up going to like all our favorite little spots. But it was really nice and we were there just us too, like having our cocktail that heen joined us, and there was this group of people. It started small, it was just like four people like having their cocktail as a friend group, and then it got bigger and bigger and bigger, and like people just kept popping in like as it went, and I was like, okay, the way my friend's schedules are, like I don't know if I could text them right now and be like come grab a drink, right, but I'm aspiring to have that kind of hang this summer or it's just it's just random spontaneous. If you're free, you're free, come grab a drink, come to the park, come hang out. I think that's like that, just like that spontaneity that makes life so fun. Like, oh you know, I got to see my friend today and it was lovely. Yeah, we got to hang out and it wasn't planned. It wasn't someone's birthday. I feel like the older we get, the more it's about the birthday gatherings, the holidays, which is great, but like all that in between time is so important, and so that's something I'm like trying to orchestrate as the planner of my friend group.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, I love Please include me in the impromptu hang Yes, I will invite you. It just might be there.
Speaker 2: She's like, I might be available.
Speaker 1: She just might attend. But yeah, expectation versus reality. I think thirties are fabulous. I'm having a wonderful time. I'm like continuing to learn and grow as a person and just figuring things out. Continue. And that's part of it too, is like it's not all figured out by the time you're thirty. No, it's a continuous process. It never ends. It never ends.
Speaker 2: It's also never too late to pivot. No, I've never been less afraid to not have a plan. And I'm such a planner. But it's like, ooh, sometimes we pivot, And I agree, not having you're not going to have everything figured out by the time you're thirty.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I also wasn't afraid to turn thirty. I feel like with the I mean, we talked about positive representations right of like being you're thirty and being a young woman, or just being a woman in your thirties. But I feel like, you know, the culture, pop culture at least has had these representations of like being afraid to turn thirty, right. I was thinking about, you know, in the series Friends, when we start, everyone's in their twenties. Yeah, at least the characters are. And so there's an episode about everyone turning thirty and they're all miserable, like it's horrible, their life is over. They didn't do everything they thought they were going to do by the time they were thirty, and that's like the whole point of the episode. I didn't feel afraid to turn thirty. I felt like, I'm ready to turn thirty. I'm ready to put these twenties behind me. Let's see what happens. Thirties have been rough, let me say, but there's also been a lot of like beautiful things, lots of growth, lots of lovely, wonderful things. It's still life. It's still challenging. I think whatever decade you're in and we're still young. That is something I've been telling myself is young. I'm sorry, y'all, we have got to let go of this like Signora mentality. I'm so old. Yes to Senora, No, get out, get out, do something, do everything, do everything. We're so young.
Speaker 1: Yes. My mom is in her sixties and she's still dance. My mom's a professional dancer. She still performs. She still dances. Yes, And she's in rehearsal every week, and she's performing every week. And it's like hard work. It's very physical. It's like very exhausting work. But she's an incredible shape. My mom has so much energy.
Speaker 2: Your mom has a lot of stamina. Your mom also likes to go out, like with her friends, like they like to go dancing. Yeah, like little events.
Speaker 1: They go out for their little margarita, they go out for their little brunches. They have like their spots like to go to. For a while, my mom was hosting this Mesa and Mimosa's event where she would like her and her friends would pick a different church and go to Mass and then get Mimosa's afterwards. They're constantly out. If anything, my mom lives more of a sex in the city life than I ever have truly, truly yes, and they're getting they get together, they talk about their husbands and their ex husbands and their next husbands. You know, for them, it is fabulous, so she to me. Even sometimes when I'm with my mom, I feel like I'm the less energetic one. Yes, you know, and so she is. This just reminder that like youth.
Speaker 2: And energy is, it's a mindset.
Speaker 1: It's a mindset and that can carry with you even into your sixties and seventies.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's a great, great place to pause. Yes, yes, we're still young. We will continue to be young.
Speaker 1: We will forever young for every young.
Speaker 2: Let's go grab a cocktail. Thank you for listening to another episode of lok A Radio. We will catch you next time, Bessitos. Loka to A Radio is executive produced by Viosa Fem and Mala Munios.
Speaker 1: Stephanie Franco is our producer.
Speaker 2: Story editing by Me viosa.
Speaker 1: Creative direction by Me Mala.
Speaker 2: Look At Radio is a part of iHeartRadio's Michael Dura podcast Network.
Speaker 1: You can listen to lok At Radio on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Leave us a review and share with your prima or share with your homegirl.
Speaker 1: And thank you to our local morees, to our listeners for tuning in each and every week.
Speaker 2: Besitos Look Radio
Speaker 1: Loca Luni