Speaker 1: Look al his only films to be buried with.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Films to be buried with. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian, an actor, a writer, a director of Pistachio, and I love films.
Speaker 1: As C. S.
Speaker 2: Lewis once said, the pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That's the deal. We only get to experience the ending of the sixth cents once, but it will stay with us always very true, CS very true. Every week I'm invite a special guest over. I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant the most of them. Previous guests include Barry Jenkins, Mark Frost, Sharon Stone, Jamila Jamil and even Cled Brambles. But this week it's the brilliant comedian, writer and actor. It's Wendy Wayson. You can watch all of Shrinking on Apple tv Plus, and you can now watch ted Lasso season three episodes one to nine on Apple tv Plus. Watch them love Them head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you get an extra twenty minutes of chat with Wendy. She tells secrets, We talk beginnings and endings. You get the whole episode, uncut and ad free, and does a video. Check it out over at patreon dot com. Forward slash Break Goldstein So Wendy Wayson. Wendy Wayson is a brilliant actor, writer, and comedian who I've known since I started stand up in the very beginning of time. We recorded this a couple of weeks ago on Zoom late at night. It was the end of her birthday weekend. I was very grateful for her letting us do it at that time, and it was a load of fun and I really think you're gonna love it. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode two hundred and forty seven of Films to be Buried With. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is me Brett Goldstein, and I am joined today. I have writer, an actor, and voice sober extraordinaria, a stand up, a pregnant stand up two times, a secret keeper very bad at it, and a woman of the world, a legend of the circuit, and a myth in all our hearts.
Speaker 1: Please welcome to the show. I can't believe she's here.
Speaker 2: It's Wendy Ways.
Speaker 3: Is that me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's you.
Speaker 3: This is your bit amazing bro one introduction.
Speaker 1: Lovely to see you, Wendy.
Speaker 3: How I so nice to see you darning one. I remember many years ago seeing you're going. Heck, guy's got something going on. He might he might go somewhere one day. Well done you.
Speaker 1: That's very nice for you to say.
Speaker 2: I thought the same Scotland.
Speaker 3: Your dam with been praise friend.
Speaker 2: We met many many years ago on the circuit. I was thinking about this the other day. I believe you. Ali Wong who is one of my favorite stand ups. She's done two Netflix specials where she was pregnant. You were way ahead of the game. Didn't you do two Edinburgh stand up shows at nine months pregnant?
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 3: I did well, Actually did one Edinburgh stand up show nine months pregnant. I had. I started doing stand up when I was still breastfeeding Max, who's now eighteen. And I remember because Christian Slater came to see my show and he said to me, there's nothing more that I like than a lacitating woman.
Speaker 1: That's sweet.
Speaker 3: What did you think of the jokes?
Speaker 1: Well? They liked this show.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, for whatever reason, I can't really put that on a booster though, can I. We do our bestie, We do our best and stand ups to clip the quote and stick it on the booster. But like, yeah, lactating, who's that going to go?
Speaker 2: Lactating women is a good quote? Where do you waste it? Lactating women?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Yeah, but I'm past black tating now, I'm past black tating. I remember seeing you in a gigging with you in a room in a pub upstairs just off the Tottam Court Road. Am I let's talk about you? Are you the big star?
Speaker 1: Now? It depends what I mean. Listen, we can we can talk about what.
Speaker 3: Oh and you were scrabbling around the floor for cigarette but no, and I'm kidding, kidding no. And one of my friends said to me that guy is super hot. He's the target. And I was like this for what for Channel four? For us?
Speaker 2: The target? We could have a we could have a double bill. We do you wasted black taking women? The target?
Speaker 3: The target? Because when did you start? How old were you when you start doing stand up?
Speaker 1: I was like twenty seven, twenty eight?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? So old?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was thirty one when you started.
Speaker 3: Well, I just had Max. Max is now eighteen, and I started. I just had Max. I started doing stand up when he was six months old. Wow, no, six weeks old. I'll tell us six weeks old, six weeks old, because I was so yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you remember, like what your first bit was? Like?
Speaker 2: I also may asked why why then? Why had you always wanted to do? What happened that you were like, I'm doing it now.
Speaker 3: So my first job was at the Guild of Bloon when I was seventeen. And for those of you who don't know about the Guild of Balloon, the Guild of Balloon back in the day was the sort of mecca for stand ups in Edinburgh, and you'd go there and I remember, actually the Guild of bloone I loved Eddie Izard and Eddie back then was extraordinary and undiscovered and they were amazing. And I remember Eddie doing this great set and it was all improvised and amazing. And the next day went to see them and it was the same extraordinary, improvised set and I was like, what the fuck you've been I've been had. But also I love chats people. My biggest champion, and my greatest thenfalls I'm interested in people. Yeah, so I love people. And my husband's always like, you just asked that one extra question and you get the whole fucking shit storm, and I love the extra question. So I yeah, I loved it, and I was like, oh, and so that sucked me into the comedy thing so effectively. I grew up in Edinburgh that my first edinary festival was when I was ten. Nineteen eighty three was my first Edar festival. I saw You're a Good Boy Charlie Brown by a theater company from New York, and I joined the circus.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 3: That's mad, isn't it. It's cool. My mother wouldn't tell you it's cool, but you know, I think it's cool.
Speaker 1: But you ever you.
Speaker 2: I think the show I saw of yours it was basically you telling secrets and having like you're very good at yes you.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. So that's an odd So the secrets show. I have a theory that if you keep secrets, everything is damned because it's a really bad thing to do. And during the show that I did about other people's secrets, I think sitting on secrets is damaging and also now that I'm doing my neuroscience masters, there is.
Speaker 1: Then no and I want to hear about that.
Speaker 3: I'm think a master is in neuroscience and psychology and there's thing called transgenerational trauma that passes down and alters your brain shape. And during that show I said about how bad secrets were for people and if you keep stuff in, I think it's really detrimental to your mental health. And England we're playing really badly in that. I want to say World Cup. With the World Cup in two thousand and nine, two nine, it must have been remember Anyway, the whole thing about way really came out during other and I do think secrets are really bad. Needs to free yourself from all that ship. But anyway, and I've discovered as well throughout my neuroscience journey that stand up or the yogo I do, it's all about helping people.
Speaker 1: I love that. Are you teaching yoga as well?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did it all through lockdown. Yeah. I did my yoga teacher training in India years ago, and then during lockdown, I can't do that. I couldn't do the did you do like stand up gigs online? During lockdown? I?
Speaker 2: Yes, I had a whole journey of like I would never do them to be desperate that I did them. They were so funny, weird.
Speaker 3: What you do or you're fucking buffering great.
Speaker 2: The worst, the weirdest part of it was well, in the early days of it, they didn't even know work out how to do audience sounds, so you just played the silence in my attic. And the worst part I always thought was when you when it finished and you just press you know, leave group, and then suddenly you're just in your attic and it was so real and you'd be like, what the fuck do just happened?
Speaker 3: I totally understand why there's so many alcoholics in common. You're like, I'm the king of the world and I'm going to go home and sit in a room on my own. Yeah, I'm king of the world and now I'm alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I'm in a bath in a weird hotel.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, So yeah, I found lockdown tricky. Anyway, how did you find lockdown?
Speaker 2: I listened. I was incredibly, incredibly lucky in that I was working. We were writing on Zoom, So if I hadn't had a job, I would have lost my damn mind.
Speaker 3: I've had a lot of time off. I've had a long time off. And then we went to Marrakesh by fiftieth and I was like, wow, Army, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: It's your birthday week. You're fiftieth.
Speaker 3: I'm fifty fifty.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: I feel great about it. I don't. Yeah, it's great because also I have looked after myself. I'm still here. The people I like are the people I like. They're still here after thirty for years. The husband's still kicking about, still quite like the kids. Yeah, the people I really want to like me have fucked off, and it turns out their decks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're still a very, very fit family. That's the main thing.
Speaker 3: Oh, my husband's so fait hilarious fit. Have you met Stephen, you've messed you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a very hot couple. You're you're one of the hottest coups on the circuit.
Speaker 3: Super funny. So Steven's done this show and in his show he gets caught up by Penn Badgely, I don't know if you've seen it. Have you seen the show?
Speaker 1: What's the show?
Speaker 3: It's called you?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I haven't seen you.
Speaker 1: Have you heard it here? It's very good?
Speaker 3: So he gets caught up. He gets caught up by pen and in the script it says, of course this douchebag's got a Prince Albert. And so the producer called Stephen and says, right, you have final approval on the prosthetic. And Steven's like the pathetic and they're like, yeah, the penis. And so we're saying at breakfast one day and Steven just keeps showing me all these dick pics and I was like, what the fuck? And there were all penises they're going to attach to his body and so yeah, the yead. Yeah, so they get this dick attached to his body and then the show happens. And then Stephen gets all these messages, direct messages online on Twitter and on Instagram, and some of them are from like ex girlfriends just put their numbers. One of them, one of them is from a girl saying I just want to be a bitter penetrated with your massive dick. And Steven's freaking out, so he just always whenever it comes and he's like, I just need to show you. This is okay, what do you do with this? The girl who's like, I just want to be penetrated by your massive dick. You click on a profile and it says just waiting to be the right guy's bless you. That's great, that's very sweet, super sweet. But also you're just like, oh, may, I'm not sure that's how you're going to meet him. But also and then pictures of girls sending pictures of boobies and their arses, and you said, what my what do I do with that? What I mean? And also there's no support group for wives married to guys who're getting this ship.
Speaker 2: I mean, as a neuro scientist, maybe you could start a group for wives and girlfriends of men with prosthetic penises on TV or.
Speaker 3: Like actors wives because like everyone's like, oh, it's famously short because you're meant to fall in love on screen, aren't you? You're meant to mean? Have you fallen in love on screen?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: No, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I do know what you mean.
Speaker 2: Oh, Wendy, I just when notes I forgot to tell you something? What it's really bad that I didn't tell you this at the beginning. Fuck let me uh, I'll just say it right right.
Speaker 3: You're scaring me. You're scaring me.
Speaker 2: What You've died. You're dead, dead, dead right now? Yeah, you're dead?
Speaker 1: How did you die?
Speaker 3: I fantasized my death a lot when I was younger and in my youth. I died in a really glamorous hospital, surrounded by friends and family, all weeping and then run up to my death. It was a long and painful illness, and I got thinner and thinner, and my cheekbones looked amazing, and in the final hours I looked like a Kardashian. And you people that were mean to me all through my life, they swarmed to my hotel hotel.
Speaker 1: Did I say, yeah?
Speaker 3: It was interesting my hospital birth.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I died from a long and painful illness, with everyone warning my passing. I did.
Speaker 1: Actually, what was the illness?
Speaker 3: Undisclosed family illness as we all know.
Speaker 1: Shame that it was.
Speaker 2: It was so long and painful, but I guess at least you've got fitter and far well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so, yeah, I die on a bed surrounded my loving family. Something. Well, they say painful, but I want to say less painful. I don't know. Maybe a tapework, a.
Speaker 1: Nice long tapework.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the end, they pull out of your bat and it was as long as your entire body.
Speaker 1: Do you worry about death.
Speaker 3: No, No, I don't worry about death. I don't. I think that I've lived life really well and I love people, and I think if if you love people, you're doing all right.
Speaker 1: That's very nice, Wendy, it sounds very nice.
Speaker 3: It sounds really cheesy, but that's true.
Speaker 2: I think that's lovely. What about when you die? What do you think happens after life?
Speaker 3: I would like to think I just go to sleep. But if Stephen meets someone else, I will come back and haunt the hell out of that bitch. I've said, I want you to move on and find someone else, but I will not be absent.
Speaker 1: I will be watching every time you touch it.
Speaker 3: And also I'm twelve years older than him, so oh yeah, yeah, do you not know this?
Speaker 1: I didn't know it was twelve years.
Speaker 3: You were there when I met him, You were there around the time that I met him.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember thinking very well, tied.
Speaker 3: I remember thinking. I remember saying, Brett, I can't get involved, and you're going, what's the worst that can happen? The worst that can happen to get married to him and be with him for fifteen years down on alliance with Thanks for that Brett.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that. So do you think there's a heaven or such a thing.
Speaker 3: So I believe in science, and I believe in spirituality, and I believe that energy cannot be created or destroyed because that is scientific fact. So I don't think I'm gonna just shuffle off and you're not gonna hear from me again. I think we're around in some form, whether it's I don't think it's like here, Brett, I've got something to pick up with you. I don't think it'll be that. But I think there's an energy around, definitely an energy around and across the road. I have a neighbor who have Like when I first moved in, they were like, you're from Scotland. The neighbor across the road she's a psychic and she's Scottish and I was like, oh fuck that shit. But after twelve years we speak and it's quite scary and much she knows.
Speaker 1: What does she tell you?
Speaker 3: Oh she'll knock on the door, she said to me the other week. There, who's Peggy? Now that Peggy's Steven's nana. Peggy's got something to tell you, Oh my god. And she finds that I'm currently writing a show about that kind of thing, writing as that come about that kind of thing, about that sort of inconvenience of sight.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh, I'd like that.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting. And also I think that as us women come into our middle ages and Divina McCall God bless her has rebranded the menopause. We always think that women in their fifties are angry, but actually we've brought up our kids, we've put our careers on hold. We're right right what now? And also estrogen drops and you guys, you guys are so lucky because your homemonne levels have been the same level forever. And we're like, oh my god, I'm overlating, this is happening. Oh my god, I'm menstoring, this is happening. Oh my god, I hate you, Oh my god, I love you. And you know it's not fair, but it is what it is. But it's great that you come to the end of that so that you get angry old women. But we're not angry. We're just like, oh, this, So it feels to feel the same every day. What a treat, What a treat to feel the same every day. And I'm not even there yet.
Speaker 2: There's a early Hilary Mantle book that Emerald Fanew made me read, She's Fucking Great, which is about a woman the Inconvenience of Sight.
Speaker 1: But it's really dark. It's really, really really dark.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, I forgot what it's called it and I'm sorry, sorry, you'll have to google it, but I think you'll enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to write it down, Emerald, The Inconvenience of Sight.
Speaker 2: No, it's not called that, but it's an early Hilary Mantle book.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting because if you don't believe in it's super funny, because it's not funny at all, but it's super funny. And I'm sure i'm breaking friendship. Bandis here, but she had a reading last week with a guy and she's lived across it with me, and she said to me, oh my god. This guy came in and he said, and she's from Scotland. She was sitting doing a reading for him and he was going and she said, all around his head she could just see Martha, Martha Murder, Murder. And she was like, oh fuck. And she said to the guy, you know, so what brings you here? And he's like, well, I've just got out of prison for ibh on my partner and she was like, oh my god. And then she turns to me and goes and he's going back in men because he's going to fucking kill her. He's going to fucking kill her.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh my god, So what can you call anyone? She's like, what am I gonna fucking do? Call the police, go higher, I'm a psychic. This guy's going to kill his girlfriend.
Speaker 1: God, this is like minority reports. She did do.
Speaker 3: But what can she do?
Speaker 1: Ah, that's so interesting. What can you do? I guess she's got to move in with him and make sure it doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine the police officer getting ba oh, well thanks for your cool love.
Speaker 2: Wow? Well, listen up, Wendy. There is a heaven. Sorry, you're going in. You're going in. You're going to heaven, and you're very welcome. It's filled with your favorite thing. What's your favorite thing?
Speaker 3: Thank you God. My favorite thing is red wine and massages and those bubbly baths.
Speaker 1: It's filled with them.
Speaker 3: Oh and marshmallows.
Speaker 2: There's marshmallows everywhere. There's bubbly buths. People message you. It's great. Everyone's so excited to see you. They're a huge fan, but they want to talk to you about your life. They want to talk about your life through the medium of film. And the first thing they ask you is, what's the first film you remember seeing?
Speaker 1: Wendy Way the.
Speaker 3: First film I saw. Ever. My parents are divorced. And the great and worst thing about that is that your dad. Generally, dads quite have quite little imaginations with what to do with kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't mean that in a bad way, but it's fucking true. So my dad used toy with the cinema every time he saw me, which my mom would be furious about, and subsequently I was furious about when my children's father did that. My eldest two children's father did that. But it was brilliant for me. The first film I saw was Superman.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, that's never happened on this What a great opener.
Speaker 3: I'm very old. I'm very old. It was Superman with the dad. Oh my god, super famous actor is and Brando was his dad. It was amazing. He's super famous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's pretty famous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was amazing. It was amazing. It was so amazing, and all the criminals were locked in that spinning mirror and my dad asleep. And it was great because I just ordered shit to this. I went up and my dad's asleep. He'll pay for all. This is amazing and so cool and oh my god, it was amazing. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Are you only child? Are you with siblings?
Speaker 3: I was an only child and then my mother remarried, so I have a half sister.
Speaker 1: Okay, just you and your dad.
Speaker 3: Me and my daddy. We did crazy golf and we did movies.
Speaker 1: I like that. That sounds so bad to me.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I feel so bad for anyone who didn't have divorced parents. Honest, you can play against each other. Excellent negotiating skills. I love that. Have you seen that for you? Obviously you've seen it, Superman. You've seen every film that I'm going to mention.
Speaker 1: I'm really hoping you haven't. Well, let's see what about being scared? What's the film that scared you most? Do you like being scared?
Speaker 3: No? I hate it. I hate it. And the film that rooted that scare in me and it maybe aware of film music is a film called Picnic a Hanging Rock.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Have you seen that?
Speaker 1: Peare Peter aware? Yeah? He's one of my favorite directors.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. And I met him like years and years and years ago, and I remember making him for a job and I was just like, you're scared this shit at me because I cannot hear pan pipe music. Do you know even the whole thing I've got a thing about Victoria. Oh my god, I've just realized what I'm wearing. It's just sort of Victoriana Blause. When I was little, I started watching I say little. It must have been about twelve or thirteen. I don't know if I've mentioned that. In fifty it's my fiftieth birthday month. Oh, President's Birthday, Happy birthday. I'm more than delighted to be telling everyone that I'm fifty. I know that everyone goes, oh, just lying about it. I'm like, nah, I'm fifty and I'm still alive. It's great the Victoriana thing in that film, and it's based on a real story. It's still unexplained, and that do do do do do?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 3: You know? You like it's very shit, it's so creepy, yeah yeah, and then it's real and it's real. You saw that when you were like twelve. I was about thirteen when I saw that film and I was at that point you know when I think there's stages you go through where you cannot deal with the lack of a happy ending. Do you know what I mean? When the good start, you want the story and then you want the happy ending. And I remember getting into French movies and going, oh my god, there's no happy ending. And the French are really good at going yeah, this is fucking life, fucking deally busy. America fires out to focus groups and they go and this is what audiences are happy with.
Speaker 1: That's why it's so interesting. It is. Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 2: And if you that's why kind of seventies Hollywood films are real so fascinating because the vast majority of like great films from the seventies the people used to go to and kind of popular, are so dark and they all end in quite a cynical way. They all end without hope.
Speaker 3: But I think that's important. I think I think it's a lesson. I think it's really interesting. Like I'm taking the kid, like the eldest too have moved out this year, so we're taking the youngest one or a tour of Italy and we're going to all my favorite film locations where my husband's like, really we're going to We're going to Aretz so and I was like, yeah, life is beautiful. I love that film. It's like it's fucking horrendous. What happens in life is beautiful. It's like give a ship, give a ship. We're going to Trivi Fountain. But I just think I love film. I love it so much. But anyway place, which is why I could do like fifteen of these, as I said to you when I text you, I was like, Brett, this is so hard.
Speaker 1: It's so hard.
Speaker 3: The picnic a hanging Rock, Picnic Hanging Rock, and also they have that little thing and they have these little nuggets at Picnic Hanging Rock where you're like, oh, is it going to be I was going to say, oh my god, is it going to be a sexual assault? Because you're always trying to go in what directions this film going? I don't mean I love a sexual assault, you know what I mean like, oh is that all direction this is going in? Because I feel like with them, I think films are always like you're trying to solve or figure out the clues or there where it's going.
Speaker 2: But That's why I think it stays with you. Picnic Hanging Rocks. It doesn't result.
Speaker 3: And the whole story that Picnica Hanging Rock is like, it's a true story from the from nineteen hundred, have some Valentine's Day. So there's that promise of romance and they're hoping for romance, and then it's Blake is really bleak and the outfits right. And then I think, I think there's a woman in it from Neighbors. I think Missus Mango from Neighbors is one of the teachers.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think you're right. Is that right? Missus mangos in it? I think you're right.
Speaker 3: I think she's one of the teachers.
Speaker 1: God bless Missus mang.
Speaker 3: I looked all this stuff up and then put it aside and thought, I'll come back to it and revisit it.
Speaker 1: What about crying? Are you a big old crier? What's the film that made you cry?
Speaker 3: I'm a big crier. I enjoy a cry. I remember when I was played with my eldest. My ex came in and was like, what are you crying at? And I was like, I was crying at a TV show where they redid somebody's Garden. They love her new Garden. But once again, because I'm so old, there's a film called The Champ that I'm not sure. Yeah, have you seen The Champ?
Speaker 1: The Champ horrendous and horrendous, awful, amazing.
Speaker 3: I love you Champ. I love your Chop. Angelina's dad who was amazing in the TV show with the Killer.
Speaker 2: Help me fuck up, fuck up the TV show with the Killer.
Speaker 3: He's a contract killer with Leave Leave Schreiberber. What's his name? You know what I mean? Yes, And he's the dad And what great about it for anyone who's got a ship dad? And I'm sure there's loads of us out there who've got a ship dad the Champ and my dad did his best and yahdy yady YadA, and you know, and all dads do their best. But the chap was great because the Champ did his best for his son. And you watch and you go, that's a terrible decision, terrible decision, but you understand why he's done it. You understand why he's done it, and oh my god, and the wee boy. And the thing is, your kids just love you for for you. Your kids are your listen, they love you for being you. Whether you're a gambler, a fighter or a racehorse trainer.
Speaker 1: Crazy to me, your goods love you.
Speaker 3: You don't have to do anything. You just turn up and be their parents. So yeah, sorry, I didn't mean for there to be any lessons. Sorry, sorry, sorry, no, but it's true. But it's true, isn't it.
Speaker 2: What is a film that you love unconditionally? People don't like it, it's not critically acclaimed, but you fucking love it anyway.
Speaker 3: Okay? What they say so funny when you ask these question. I know you have to ask these questions, but I feel like you're trying to move me on. But okay, when the funk about the crying.
Speaker 1: I felt like we completed that.
Speaker 3: It's fuck up a Scottish thing, yes, is it? Yeah? Fuck up means shut the fuck up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're very busy in Scotland. I've got time for full sentences for independence.
Speaker 3: Okay. I have discussed this with friends and I was like, do you know what film I love that nobody else likes? Dirty rot Scoundrels? And everyone was like, everybody loves that film, Wendy. For every film I suggested, I didn't realize that everybody likes but the one that everyone said is shit that I still like is the Zamecas film Death Becomes Her.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a great answer. I think Death Becomes Her has had a resurgent and people love it now. But when it came out, people definitely didn't like it. Okay, not well received.
Speaker 3: So and it's a great My husband was like, that's because you're old and it's use juice and that's just like you're a deck, which I think is rude. But also yeah, but also yeah, yeah, and Goldie Horn and marriage Okay, even my husband's all though you met when he was twenty three, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I met when he was a child.
Speaker 3: He's known only forty Yeah, it's time for me to get any one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think fifty Years had a good run.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great film. But also it's mental. But then also hocus Pocus, I like that too, but yeah, oh it's between Death Comes Her and August Pocus. Am I alive too?
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm going to give you Death Becomes There.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: So it is a very strange film and I really like it, but you're right, it was not received well in the beginning.
Speaker 3: Very strange film, and also Goldiehrn, you have an overboard. Oh my god, I didn't even think about overboard.
Speaker 1: That's shit. I love it, love that love overboy. What about the other way around?
Speaker 2: What's a film you used to love very much, but you've watched it recently and you've got I don't like this anymore, for whatever reason you might have changed.
Speaker 3: So my daughter is now twenty one, this is hilarious, Well me, no, do you know what? I won't? I won't. I always got this is hilarious. And my daughter's like, mom, I'll decide. She's right, she's right, she's right. She's written a script. She's written like various film scripts. And one of our good friends, Ewan, is in Game of Thrones and he was Ramsey Alton and Game with Thrones.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, yeah, he's very scary.
Speaker 3: He's very scary, but he's the nicest man you will ever meet. And Debella, fella, if you want me to be in one of your films, I'm more than happy to be in one of your films. And bell was like, Ewan, there's nothing for you in my script.
Speaker 1: I'm like, she's thinking like a producer. I like it.
Speaker 3: I'm like Bella who in your film? Somebody might watch it. But so we were giggling about that, and then we were chatting actually the other week there about this film that I loved when I was growing up, and I showed it Tobella and I was just like, oh fuck. So I grew up with The Breakfast Club and Saint Elmo's Fire and and I showed her. I was like, Bella, you're gonna love this. You're gonna love this. You're gonna love this, You're gonna love this. And I showed her a film called Mannequin.
Speaker 1: Yes, do you know what madiquin?
Speaker 3: And it's Andrew McCarthy and he falls in love well essentially, he creates his ideal girlfriend. And in the eighties I was like, that's super cute. And now that I'm fifty, I'm like, how fucking dare you tell me? How about fucking woman has to fucking be you fucking prick. My narrative has slightly changed watching with my daughter going oh my god, Oh my god. And Andrew McCarthy's got that great put up on face or has like, you know, unaccustomed as I am to asking for what I want, here is what I'm asking for And you're like, oh, yeah, watch out for that kind of prick. Meant when you've got yeah, when you've got a door, Well, when you've got a daughter, you're like, oh shit, don't do that. I've never done this before, But would you like to do sex like this?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yea, yeah, yeah, that prick has done that before. He needs a know, he needs a No. If the phrase i've never done this before creeps into your vocabulary, you know that it's wrong. What you're asking for is is that fair?
Speaker 1: I think it certainly is a flag that needs consideration.
Speaker 3: Flag is a big fucking red flag wagging it.
Speaker 1: I mean before once never done this before, would have been through once.
Speaker 3: Although having said that, with my husband, I've never had a one night stand, and I was trying to have a one night stand with him. Still never had a one night stand because we've been married for like fifteen years then, and I'm like, shit, if it's really really good sex, it's normally someone who's going to stalk you for about six months before or after after. As one of my girlfriends says, when you have sex with somebody who's really good in bed, to go oh shit, because yeah, it's going to be a difficult It's important to plan your exit plan. It's important to have an exit plan.
Speaker 1: What is the film that means the most to you?
Speaker 2: Not necessarily the film itself is good, but the experience you had seeing the film will always make it special to you.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm sneaking into here. I normally allowed one. I'm sneaking into because I'm going to want One's a little sentence, is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I have divorced parents. I used to go and see my dad every third weekend. When I was twelve. He showed me Scarface and said, don't tell your mother you've seen this wicked. And I took my daughter to see it last week at the Everyman in Hampstead, where she and I works, and I was like this. She was like, seriously, mom, And I was like, when I look at it now, it feels really bad. But when you don't live with your dad, it's a really bonding thing. And I didn't know what everything was, but it was. I love Scarface for all the like, I mean, you sit around the all day I wait for me to fuck you. Great line, great line, and I mean I just love it. I mean it's horrendous and I love the sort of good guy done well, done badly. I love the downfall of the Yeah, so I love Scarface. I still love Scarface. I always loves Scarface. But the film that has the most meaning for me is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Lovely because I was in Los Angeles and I want to say two thousand. Should have really googled the day the release date. I think it was two thousand and two thousand and it was October or September anyway, whatever. I went to a pre screening of Preaching Tiger, and as a girl from Edinburgh, I was so excited to be in LA and my friend's Stef she took me to this screening and back in those days, we've never seen anything like it. But also I've never seen anything like it in a movie literate environment. Now that sounds really wanky and it is really whanky. But also my children love watching screenings of films in arenas where people respect the film, which sounds really whanky, and it is really whanky, but it's one hundred percent bang on because we'll go to a cinema and people will talk through it and my kids will be like, shut up, this is We've paid money for this stop it. And they love going to an industry screening in the wankiest way because everyone shuts up and they respect the film, which sounds ridiculous, and I would like to be embarrassed about that, but I'm fucking not embarrassed about that, because respect the film. Respect the fucking the film. Sorry, but respect the film. And I've told you, I've told them that for their whole lives. So my children will go into a cinema and they will shut the fuck up. And if you talk, my children will tell you to shut the fuck up and respect the film.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: There was a hundred million people involved in that. So when I saw Crouching Tiger in La, people stood up and whooped and cheered and screamed because there was whirling and there was like that shit going on, and I'd never seen anything like it on screen, but I'd never in Glasgow when the film finished, everyone used to clap, but in La everyone was whipping and screaming and delighted at the special effects. And I didn't know what to do with myself for the special effects because they felt like they were jumping out of the scream. I've never seen that before, and neither did anyone around me, And it was just it was one of those moments where you go, shit, you you park your life at the gateway and you walk in and you're in the film and that really Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Sound like that's really good.
Speaker 3: Sound like the wine car I am, but yeah, I am. O.
Speaker 1: I love that, you know, I love that. Yeah, tell me this, what is the film you most relate to when super bizarre?
Speaker 3: It's the Parent Trap and not the Lindsay Luheim one. It's the Haley Mils. Yeah, because my parents divorced and I was like, oh, I must have a sister somewhere and somebody who understands.
Speaker 1: Myn Yeah, that's a heartbreaker.
Speaker 3: It's a heartbreaker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you want to did you want to trick your parents back together? Or was it having this secret we really.
Speaker 3: Really wanted to give our parents back together? And so bizarre throughout my life, my mom and dad was having the same birthday guard and they sent it. Yeah, it's super super sad, super sad and super.
Speaker 2: Yeah what they Your mom and dad would send you identical cuts by accident, as in just by coinstance, so you'd be like, oh, they're meant.
Speaker 3: To be yeah, or I thought my my secret sister sent me this, but yeah, she hasn't arrived, so yeah, I know you say it, ah, but you know it was really si. Yeah, I really wanted another another sibling, and yeah, I and also the one of them lived in a ranch and one loved in a really nice house in London, so forget Yeah it was it wasn't a bad aspiration.
Speaker 2: Wendy, here we go. I'm excited about your answer for this. What's the sexiest film you ever seen?
Speaker 3: Well, it's Good Fellas, isn't it. It's not for everyone, though I thought.
Speaker 1: That was a fun It's never been in this category, but isn't it?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Good Fathers. It's so sexy. It's the family, It's the gatherness. It's how much money do you want to go shopping with? It's like this much money when she holds up her fingers to show how much cash she wants to go shopping. Do you want to fur coat?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I just walk a little bit further, walk a little bit of father. It's a dangerous the excitement, it's the helicopters. It's the food. I love food, I love cooking. It's the sexiest film ever, all the senses are covered.
Speaker 1: Fascinating, very revealing, fascinating.
Speaker 3: Is that too much? Is that too little?
Speaker 1: No? That's perfect.
Speaker 2: What about there's a traveling boners worrying? Why don't what's the film you found a rousing that you weren't sure you should.
Speaker 3: There's loads of things you find arousing and you go, oh my god, And it's always Jessica Rabbit all that weird. Of the things I find arousing, and it's always the bad guys. I think, like pretty much anything Joe Pesci's in. I do find Joe Pesci alarm in these see that's great. But also, do you know how I find sexy? And my kids always joke about it is John Loguisiamo.
Speaker 1: Oh I can see that.
Speaker 3: I fancy the arse of John Loguisiamo. And he's always the bad guy from you, And yet everything he does John Loguisiamo, I'm like, yeah, I know he'd kill you, see that, I'd fucking do him. But he's wrong and it's wrong. It's wrong, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you're no shame.
Speaker 2: Sexiest is good feathers, and your shame sexiest is bad guys.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I can't. Yeah, I can't say to my children, look after yourself. But by the way, Joe the GUISIAMO fucking do him. He's so sexy, though, isn't he.
Speaker 1: I can see that, Yeah, I can see that.
Speaker 3: You fancy.
Speaker 1: No, I fancy him. I'm not sure I fancy but I love Pesci as well.
Speaker 3: It's a fucking a fucking a whole. What is objectively the greatest film of all time? I suggested this to my husband. He was like, no one will know what you're talking about. I am a big fan of a little known actrical picture sellers. There is a film called Being There phenomenon that is the greatest film of all time in my opinion. The little glances, the little looks, the little misunderstandings, and I think one hundred percent compulsively relevant for our times right now is Being There. I think Being There should be on the school curriculum. Is that fair? Yes, Being There should be on the school curriculum. I think I'm going to cry. I just think it's the most amazing thing. I think Chancey the Gardener, Oh, Chauncey Gardner, I know exactly who you are from You're like, oh my god, I just think it's the most extraordinary film. It's perfectly underplayed. The acting is amazing. Okay, I'm gushing, I'm gushing. I'm gushing, I'm gushing. But anyway, I think the best ever made is Being There.
Speaker 2: What a fantastic answer, and I don't think you're incorrect. It is a profound, brilliant film. Brilliant.
Speaker 3: It's remarkable, isn't it it is?
Speaker 1: It is about everything that is happening. Now, you're right. Fantastic, Great, Wendy, Thank you so much. Ten points. What is the film you could or have watched the most over and over again?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I have three children. The film I have watched over and over and over again, and it's taught me everything about life, and I've seen everything in it. It has taught me everything about parenting. Is Finding Nemo.
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Sorry would you say that? And you're like, I've let my have done their road?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, I say, oh my god, as in Finding Nimo makes me so sad that I don't think I could watch it again.
Speaker 1: But I think it's a right right.
Speaker 3: I have seen it about nine hundred times with each child, and I've got through it. So those last three thousand times. Right the first time I saw Finding Nemo, I just had Isabella. Who's night twenty one? I went to the cinema with my friend Tory, who my husband's who lives in Chicago. My husband's flown over tonight as a surprise, which is why. Yeah, I've had wine for the first time in life, whatever forever, and Tory and I I went to cinema in white lace. Yeah you know what you see. I was just you see, I whitelies. We went in and we were like, what do you have on? We have ten minutes before she has to breastfeed again. We went in and I had just started doing stand up and my whole thing went, oh no. So that was twenty nine when I started doing stand up, and then I really had a restart. I went back because I went to see the only film they had on and it was Nemo. And in the first five seconds the mom gets killed, and I was like.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 3: You fucking killed the mom again, You fucking pregs, you Disney horseholes, you always killed the fucking mom. So I came out and I was furious. I was like, once again the mom gets killed. You know why? Mary Proppings all this shit that not mayor pro bandy. The mom gets killed all the fucking time, sleeping beauty, all this shit. Why do you kill the mom? Why do you kill the mom? And the guy I was like, you breaks, you bunch your bricks, and he gave me my money back. He gave me my money back. He was like, we need to get her out of here. And subsequently I've seen it nine million times, but I think it's a really great lesson in letting your kids run and fly and grow. But even that that could happen even when the mom's alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the mom doesn't have to die.
Speaker 3: That mom doesn't have to die. But it's all about you want to keep your kids safe if you want them to grow and fly. But also what stop killing the mom? Harry Potter, Every fucking film that you love from your childhood, the mom dies. The mom doesn't have to die. Sorry, I'm running, but it's true.
Speaker 1: I like that have to die. The mom doesn't have to die. Sorry.
Speaker 2: What's the worst film you've ever seen? And let's not spend too long being negative.
Speaker 3: The worst woman I've ever seen is Mickey blue Eyes. James Karen Yep, my husband, my ex husband, and I didn't have a fight in our in our world, we were like we never ever fought during our divorce where we're like we just like, is this working for you?
Speaker 1: Know?
Speaker 3: It isn't working for you me either, cold let's but that's how our divorce worked. The only time that we fought was can you do? Can you take the Mickey blue Eyes DVD? Is that I don't want it? You have I don't want it. The only the only fought we the only fight we had in five years was Mickey blue Eyes and I took it.
Speaker 1: I Triple hor is the woman in it.
Speaker 3: My friend Matthew likes her and likes Jeane trouble Horn and Carrie Anne Moss, and he always goes, I just really like to shine carry Anne's Moss.
Speaker 2: Oh my god mate, you're in comedy. You've been in comedy as well. What's good film that made you laugh the most?
Speaker 3: My favorite comedy group of film films is Jack Tatty, which sounds really wonky, but it is. If you're not into films, you know, into comedy, watch Jack Tatty. You know into films. You don't into films, you don't listen to this ship. But if you're into it. I love Jacques Tatty, Jacques Tatty. I've watched all his films, mon uncle, I love all I love all that. But the film that makes me laugh out loud all the time is Four Lions.
Speaker 1: What a fucking great film.
Speaker 3: And I've shown it to all my children, each appropriate or not. Robert Inger, Rapids Mode, Bubba No Crue. We have so many quotes in our family, and I think it's a great lesson. I love comedy that educates, and I just love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's a great film. It's so funny, it's so fucking funny, and it's so relevant and it's so important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I degree I think it's the problem last place that film. Wendy, you've been a delight. However, when you were dying a very slow, painful death caused by what we discovered as a tapeworm that eventually was pulled out of your ears out and was as long as you I think you said that gone all the way, all the way, I've got all the way around your body three or four times. It was fucking cute. Anyway, you were dying very slowly as you wished, and you became more. You began to slip more with.
Speaker 3: All my family's friended me yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Eventually you died. And I was walking down the street with the coffin.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm like, and I it's cute, grimml grimmled bra. Here he comes around the block and I was like, what you're not not as as he was to see the fittest, the fittest, dead buddy. We've never seen it. I really well, and so I queue up. I'm polite, I'm not going to jump the queue. I'm sort of the David Beckham of queue. And I get to the to the to the front and there's your So I go, wow, she does look fit. But this coffin I've got is the wrong size. Guys help me, and so we start chopping you up, chopping you up, chopping you up, chopping you up with an axe. There's loads of access, little acces. Chop you up, chop you up, chop you up. Eventually we stuff you in the coffin. It's not the perfect fit. I'll be honest. It's jammed in there. It's only really enough room in this coffin to slide one DVD into the side for you to take across to the other side. And in heaven it's movie night every night, and one night it's your movie night. What film are you taking to show the people of heaven when it is your turn? Wendy Wasted.
Speaker 3: I am taking Nemo, finding Nemo. I have to do that my kids, all my kids. Look after your children, let them be free, learn all the lessons, all that shit and the mom dies.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: What would you like to tell people to look out for to listen to in the coming weeks.
Speaker 3: I am currently writing a book called The Life of My Men, The Life in My Men, there you go. So may West said that, and my daughter asked me about how you meet a boyfriend and how you know that somebody is a nice man, and I was like, it's a leak faith. So I'm currently writing a book about the life in the Life of my Men, and there's so many guys that I'm like, oh, my god, I should have married you because you were really nice. But what you want at sixteen is really not what you want when you're thirty five. Like when you're sixteen, you're like, oh, it's going to get me tickets to a gig, And then when I met Stephen and I was thirty five. It's like he can change a window, you can replace them with glass and a window. So no, it's about that and also the fact that the people who hurt me most of my life, the men who hurt me most in my life, are the ones that I totally embraced. So I'm writing a book on that. I'm gigging for the past year. I took a job in tech. I was offered a job in tech because I was head of brand and corporate communications for a year. They offered me it and I was like no, and then they kept up in the salary and also as most of people in entertainment, no, it's shut down. And I wasn't about I tried to do zoom gigs like yourself. This is not me, this is me. So I took that job for a year and I was just like, this is also not me. So anyway, Twitter, Wendy, I'm just go away Son Instagram. When I just go away Son, I'm doing the book. I'm gigging. I'm doing what you do as a working comic, and I'm coming out to La soon, so I will hunt you down. Breat Goldstein.
Speaker 1: Well, it was lovely to see you. Thank you for your time, and I will see you in Los Angeles, lads of love. Good day to you.
Speaker 3: That's all love Danny.
Speaker 2: So that was episode two hundred and forty seven. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forwards Brett Goldstcene for the extra minutes of chat, secrets and video with Wendy. Remember to watch Ted Lasso and Shrinking on Apple TV plus. Go to Apple Podcast. Give us a five star rating, but just write about the film that means the most to you and why it's a lovely thing to read. Everyone likes reading it makes them cry. You're all nice people. Thank you everyone for listening. I hope you're all well. Thank you to Wendy for doing the show and for doing it so late a night on her birthday weekend. Thanks to Scruby's PIP and the distraction pieces of Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and wil Forerrel's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Added Bridgeson for the graphics and Least a Lone Them for the photography. Comes on me next week. Oh, I got a banger of the guests next week.
Speaker 1: You're going to love it. It'll be a nice treat for you. Hope you're all well.
Speaker 2: So that is it for now.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, have a lovely.
Speaker 4: Week and please now more than ever, be excellent to each others.
Speaker 2: Back back by the back backs as bys and contact by the back backs as back us back back by the bass backs, an sat by the back back back back