Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Cowboys, This is Mick Shots streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Have Welcome to another edition of mix Shots here at beautiful Oxnard, California, the River Ridge Sports Complex on this Tuesday, August sixth, Mickey Spagnola here with you, Savannah, and we have a lineup change. No, Bill Jones, Nate Newton, Jane. Yes, Nate coming out of the bullpen to help us out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, And every team, every baseball team, at the beginning of the year, they worry about pitching, and they were about the center fielder. But during the season, in the middle, the hot time, everybody worried about the bull pen.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 4: We have enough guys to take us through. I'm that guy, and.
Speaker 2: We got a reliable reliever here that's always available to us here on Mixed Shots. As a matter of fact, Nate and I go way back, yes, back to the star in the in the in the what we call that little room, what it was. We were in the basement.
Speaker 4: We're in the basement, man, Yes, we were well.
Speaker 2: Good to have you with us. Thanks a lot, and thank you. Another beautiful day here in ox start sixty two degrees here, eight o'clock our time. Everybody, good, good day yesterday for everyone?
Speaker 4: Yes, great day, Yes, ma'am.
Speaker 2: You have an impression of practice yesterday, Nate.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean.
Speaker 3: When you speak to the coaches that some coaches said, I went to good today. But from my point of view, guys are moving fast.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 3: You know a few guys have injured, which you will bring us up to date, but other than it has not been since the Sam Williams deal.
Speaker 4: Somebody just missed the.
Speaker 3: Whole a lot of practice time, except our first round pick with the flu, but he'll be back.
Speaker 4: So it's been good for me.
Speaker 3: You've gotten to see a high competition and great play and guys just trying to make this team. And the off sides will be coming more now. When we first started camp, well hardly know all sides, but it seemed like the more we have practice that I guess guys are getting tired and losing focus there. But other than that, everything's been pretty good.
Speaker 2: Either that or they're trying to be overly aggressive.
Speaker 4: Yes, that could be obay, that would be a nice thing to think.
Speaker 2: Hughes false starts, But then when Michael Parsons lighting up in front of you, you're probably a little jumping. He about ruined practice yesterday for the offense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was one of his days.
Speaker 3: You know, we had a lot of those last year where he just took over practice and uh, but we've had not had a lot of that due to the fact that our tackles have been fairly decent this year. They're used to that speed. They they're making adjustments to that speed. But when Mike decides to turn it up, he can't wreck practice.
Speaker 2: And if anybody's new to mix shots here at eight o'clock in the morning, the Zambodi's out loud and clear morning right. I thought Savannah was in charge of operations here. I don't know why she can't get this fixed.
Speaker 5: Do you know the field crew, they're unfortunately not under me. But I'll try and make some calls. We'll see if we can get misadjusted in the future.
Speaker 3: Don't Savannah, don't make that call because they may reach Mike McCarthy. He'll wipe out our show up. We gotta we got a deal between getting the field right and wipe it out.
Speaker 4: The show. He gonna wipe out our show. He'll blow us away, so don't bother they.
Speaker 2: It would be one thing if he was cutting grass or they were putting lines down, but he's just blowing the loose stuff off the field to make it look good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have to make it look's ready because it's Rams week and the Rams are coming here in two days. We have to make sure our field is nice and set for the big scrimmage on Thursday afternoons.
Speaker 4: Well they call it out a scrimmage off practice, they're.
Speaker 2: Gonna call it a scrimmage. I believe it starts at two o'clock Thursday here and I go to California and Sunday for the first preseason game, which will be telecast live back to the Bluestar Network stations. So we got a lot to look forward to. Any observations yesterday, Savannah from practice, anything that jumped out to.
Speaker 5: You, you know, I like seeing as we've progressed with these guys being in pads, just the amount of effort that they've been putting in now that they're getting kind of used to these practices. But I like seeing some of these younger guys get a little bit more adjusted and comfortable as camp goes on. So one of the guys that kind of stuck out to me was Mayor wrist LEAFU Is that how I pronounce his name correctly?
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: Great?
Speaker 4: Uh? Yes, he has number thirty five.
Speaker 5: He had a really good interview the other day and he was just saying, like, as a rookie, how quickly you need to pick things up, and that as you put on those pads and you're out there and you're starting to learn the playbook a little bit more, he's feeling more comfortable in that zone. And so I like hearing the rookies getting a little bit more comfortable with this playbook.
Speaker 4: He is. Excuse me, I'm sorry, he is.
Speaker 3: From the day one to now, I saw him breaking on some balls, especially if short pass is coming out of the backfield, he is right upon it.
Speaker 4: This kid is fast quick.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's the most athletic guy, and that's what they say, but the way he playing and knowledge that he shows out there, he seemed to be on top of everything.
Speaker 2: You know, as as advertised when they took him in the third round.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: He was supposed to be a really good cover guy linebacker that was mobile, that could help you on the nickel, and I think we've seen that man. You know the other thing I noticed, so Saturday's practice and Monday's practice, and a lot of times when you're off on Sunday and you come back on Monday, it's a little sloppy. You got to back. But I thought those two padded practice were two of the best they've had so far. One of the things I've noticed. I guess we should mention this first talking about Micah, So Tyler gotten still not practicing. I've been told that he has a chess cold. How do you get a chess cold out here?
Speaker 5: We're just talking about that yesterday. It's just the vitamin C from the sun.
Speaker 2: Anyway, he at least was working with britt Brown yesterday, so that was a step forward. We'll see where he can go. But hid his absence, Chuma Doga and Awesome Richards were taken care of that left tackle spot, and that kind of was where the defense was attacking. With Michael Parsons on that side. You think Zim decided, Okay, we're gonna see what they can do with Micah lighting up at defensive end on that side.
Speaker 4: Well, and I.
Speaker 3: Think for some reason, I was as Michael was doing an individual he kept going back and forth with the strength coach, the head strength coach, about whether.
Speaker 4: He could continue practice.
Speaker 3: And he asked coach Jeff, the defensive line coach once they went over to team like periods inside run, like can I do this? And Coach Jeff like, yeah, he should be able to do it. And so Michah had a little chip on his shoulder because they was trying to hold him out of practice, right, A lot of you know, and so a lot of time when you when you rubble a great athlete like that the wrong way. He just turned it up all day. I mean, he just continued to show everybody I'm all right, I'm all right. So it's it's good to see that because when your stars practice, what can the role player say? A role player has to get out there and do his job, because if you see the stars giving it up, it makes you want to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: So I noticed that when they went seven on seven and then at the other end they were practicing basically running plays. Yes, sir, I don't know if it was goal line, but it was. But they didn't have him in there. So when he wasn't in there, he was running sprints across the field. Did you notice that? Now? No?
Speaker 3: Man, I know Michael looks at me sometime weird because he like, I'm serious, because I'm that guy that always think that he has more to give, you know.
Speaker 4: I don't. I believe in complete stars, and I think Mike has another level.
Speaker 3: So you know, I know people like man that Nate Doon be on you, but I be on him because if he becomes the best he can be, then.
Speaker 4: I def will be unstoppable. But if you just tagged a pass rusher, and that's.
Speaker 3: Why me and Mick and I don't know how you felt, young lady, yeah about the linebacker down line of stuff a few years ago.
Speaker 4: But this is the best possible position for this kid. I mean, what's your thoughts on that linebacker down line? How did you look at that?
Speaker 5: I think Micah is the perfect player to move around. Yeah, and you have to see him be moved around, whether that's off the edge, whether that's playing linebacker. But to see what he's just doing out here, just practicing, you can tell he has that drive and it's progressed over the past few years. But I think really locking in a little bit more and just knowing what he brings to the table. I think that's really important for him because he is that guy. But it's the it's a matter of you, you do your job there.
Speaker 2: It is I like the fact that it is, like Zimmer pointed out the other day, that he could properly play every position on defense, and think he could, and I'm sure he would want to. But putting him at linebacker, I think has opened up a whole new realm of what he can do out there to ruin plays. And he was doing that a couple of things. So with him one on one with Tuma, they finally adjusted. They started putting a tight end over there, and then I saw a tight end and the fullback over there to just counter that they could Tuma could not handle him. Now, it wasn't every play, right, but I bet he beat him one out of three plays every time.
Speaker 3: That's not a good ratio. That's not a very good ratio. You shouldn't even bring that to the public.
Speaker 4: You got here about one.
Speaker 2: Not even for the offensive lineman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of a sudden, the public like guid and Guiden, where are you? But he's got a chess cold.
Speaker 4: Baby's sick.
Speaker 2: We need to get him back out there.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: You need to get him back.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying he fixes that, but I think his wider wingspan, yes, causes Micah when he goes outside to go further outside. But he's still got that inside move that you gotta be aware of.
Speaker 3: And I'm watching our tackles, and I'm quite sure Kachi Lari in his system is telling them play him for the outside. You gotta play him for the outside, but always be weary of the inside move, because that is the quickest.
Speaker 4: Way to the quarterback.
Speaker 3: If Michael can blow you past you a couple times, you can turn and run. If you're half man, you can turn and run.
Speaker 4: But once he gets on your inside shoulder. You see he hit.
Speaker 3: Dak hand two or three times in the last two or three days. Somebody gotta tell him that's not a good thing. Somebody gotta squalk with. Mica said, no more than you break the quarterback on we threw, you can forget it.
Speaker 4: But anyway, somebody need to warner.
Speaker 3: But every time he goes to the inside move, he gets to that and that should not be happening, not every day, And so what.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, go ahead, it is obviously you know, we do need Tyler Goyton back in here, and we hope he gets better soon and we'll see what his status is later today. But it is very important to have those reps from Awesome Richard and Schuma Adoga. They need that little push, especially if Micah's coming at them. They need to feel that and feel the pressure because they're also fighting for a spot right now.
Speaker 2: So what do you think of Awesome Richards?
Speaker 3: That is my man, That was my man last year. You know how I felt about him and Tja. When you have given kids a true opportunity. And I'm talking about its two guys before them. I'm not gonna call their names. I just hate bashing guys. But it's two guys before them that they've given three years. And I tried to tell Mika the first year, these guys are not gonna work, but these bass and Awesome Riches will work. Awesome Riches needed to get stronger from last year. That's why he disappeared. I stacked mac w M Mick. Why did he disappear? Well, he needed to get stronger. Will told me that. Uh coachin Lauri told me man. He get and he's stronger. Now what he needs now is reps. I think he did good Saturday. He held his own Saturday. He uh, he didn't get a lot of reps cause Schuma was getting all the first team reps. But that that's my guy. He he's got the feet to stay in front of people. He's got the strength. Now he's got to start believing. It's like stacking good Day on to good day. Those are my two guys. And I told coach to Lawry, if you allow awesome Richards to hit them streets, you'll see that he'll be starting on somebody the team for like ten years and we'll be like, no, we didn't.
Speaker 4: This kid can play for us.
Speaker 3: So at one of these spots, whether it's the right side or left side guard attack, h all, some Richards can play. And I want TJ. Bash to get every rep he can and and and that that's just the bottom line, because these guys needed they can play.
Speaker 2: So since we're on the offensive line, I wanted to get your guys thoughts on brock Hoffman, and I thought, uh, and I wrote a column on him yesterday, and I think that where we go to read this, Mick on Dallas Cowboys dot com. Okay, you should be reading that website every night to see what's new there. I think there was this assumption, because they used that third round pick on Cooper BB, that BB was going to be the starting center, and everybody kind of dismissed brock coffin, Yes we did, who was a reliable backup last year. Started only two games at guard, one at center, but he played well. And I remember before training camp started, Mike McCarthy pointed out that the center position was competition and he said, and by the way, brock Hoffman was not going to just roll over and allow BB to be the starter. This guy is really competitive and he'll bring his lunch pail to work. And we're what's two weeks in the training camp, brock Kaufman's still your starting center?
Speaker 4: What in five padded practices, whatever.
Speaker 2: We're at now? Yeah, what were your thoughts on him and what he's done so far?
Speaker 3: I just want to hear what a young lady got to say. First, she's rolling this one. I'm liking that.
Speaker 4: Go ahead on young lady work.
Speaker 5: Jed brock Kaufman. I listened to his interview the other day. He said verbatim, I've always had a chip on my shoulder, and he feels that this year he's had a better mentality going into training camp and that he has a little bit more fight in him and his mental speed. He said that in terms of his growth, he feels like he's grown a lot learning the playbook. But I think brock Hoffman is your starter this year as far as the center position goes, Cooper Beb I don't think that he is up to speed enough as brock Hoffman is. Rock Coffin has that experience in that position. And I've even just seen around this complex him spending time with Dak and that's important right there, just being the center. And I just like the way his attitude is. I think Cooper Beebe has some time to where he can step up to that. Brock Kaufman has the attitude we need for this position.
Speaker 2: Confidence playing confidence, you know.
Speaker 3: I thought about it more and more as as we got closest to the to the training camp, and I'm like the brock Hoffen we've seen is very competitive.
Speaker 4: He's a chatty guy.
Speaker 3: He reminds me of Kevin Golgig a lot of times. Kevin Gogan would always be able to match the foot speed or the defensive guy.
Speaker 4: But he would get at etra shove.
Speaker 3: He would he would do something to irritate that guy, say something to get the guy focused in on him.
Speaker 4: And I see Hoffman as that same way.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's a chatty type guy, but he's very highly competitive. He and and i'ma tell you something. You don't know how important the snap is until you see four or five of those balls go low, too high and the quarterback has to go to the right of the left too much.
Speaker 2: Like he's played a goal tender.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's what our second team quarterback, Cooper has been going through a lot of with uh.
Speaker 4: Cooper Cooper is what the quarterback name. It's cool. I'm like, I want to say Cooper. I'm like to minute Cooper.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm like, hold on home man when I'm talking about Cooper, Rush and Cooper Babe.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I can give you three starting wide receivers all named jayl Yeah.
Speaker 3: But anyway, I had this kid will one day we'll convert the center. But it's just a little bit harder if you'd have took his last year and moved to center and did it a lot, he would It'll be an easy adjustment because you're trying to do it. It's against grown men, guys that are trying to win jobs, so they're not gonna to take it easy on you. They moveing and blowing into you. And you see a better player at guard. Did you do it center way better because he doesn't have to hack that ball.
Speaker 5: And I will also note that he mentioned in his interview that he talked to Tyler Biattish just the other day. I mean that just goes to show how close he was when Tyler was here and how much of probably a mentor Tyler was as far as veteran leadership goes. And now that Brock has this position and he's able to step into this role, I think it's great that he still talks to Tyler. But I think just Brockhoffmann is that guy right now.
Speaker 2: Well, like I said, I see him playing with confidence. But the key thing is he started three years at Virginia Tech at center. Ye in the center right, so he's got experience playing that position. Highly competitive, by the way, I could tell just from his interview how competitive he is, and he basically said, you know, when I asked him. I said, so everybody just assumed that Cooper Bebee was going to be the starter, and you almost got dismissed. And I said, what were your thoughts when you heard that stuff? And he Goes didn't pay any attention to it. He goes, I knew I needed to come out. So he was a undrafted free agent by Cleveland in twenty twenty two. He was signed them to their practice squad. They let them go maybe November and the Cowboys claimed him on waivers and or no, they claimed they just signed them to their practice squad. But at the end of the year. You know how the practice squad guys had three elevations, They elevated them three times at the end of the year. And then last year he started off on the practice squad, but I think second or third game they brought him on to the fifty three man roster and he remained there played seventeen games. So he was like the backup center guard. Uh to be Hodish last year and uh, I think he got some confidence that they had confidence in him, and I think it's showing out there.
Speaker 3: The thing is and the what and the reason I think they they don't hesitate is the two guards. We got two elite guards, you know, so you know, you look at Hoffman and you look at BB. Short arm guys, not very tall, stocky built guys. So they have to rely a lot on on a tenacity and their technique and you know, the ability to grapple and stuff like that. So but when you got two guards that we have, yeah, yeah, I think it should work. I mean, he gonna have some games where he struggled just because of the length of his arms. And I'm talking about both both centers BB and Hoffman. But Haffman is the is the clear like like you know they say, the clear, uh, winner of this race?
Speaker 4: So far?
Speaker 2: All right, with great start here to mix shots in when we come back here on dallascowboys dot Com. We'll see if Savannah has any camp observation that coming next.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 2: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lte is brewed to be less filling.
Speaker 6: What are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 2: It says less filling.
Speaker 4: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 7: Hell mindset we'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm rashine legal guy, Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsant Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams cars for twelve ounces, fewer Cowson cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 8: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties, Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Your k Hero's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 6: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at Mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 2: Snapped the press. Guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 1: He escapes left.
Speaker 4: He'll love full first down.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions of around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency pros.
Speaker 8: Scot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot com to shots.
Speaker 5: The twenty twenty four official Sideline collection is out now. Head to a pro shop near you or log onto shop dot Dallas Cowboys dot com. A fanatics experience and score gear made for players, coaches, and you.
Speaker 2: And we continue here on mixed shots. Some Van of Humoler, Nate Newton, myself, Mickey Spagnola, and great to have Nate here with us.
Speaker 5: Why are you laughing?
Speaker 3: Every every guy that sits in that chair, Bill, Nick, Josh Cow even you sometime when you sit in that chip.
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Why we have to get these new voices while we just had a normal voice.
Speaker 2: What my voice wasn't normal?
Speaker 4: Back here Mickey's reporter? Wow? Why everybody voice?
Speaker 2: I got to be TV guy right here we go? And so I teased it. Got any observations from training camp yesterday?
Speaker 5: You know, I have a little bit of a quirky observation, and this is for Trayvon Diggs yesterday with his first day that we saw him out here in pads. But I will note that every time I have seen Trayvon come onto the field, it's usually a little later after practice just gets rolling and he'll kind of leave a little bit early, trickle out. He doesn't have his shoes on. He always is just wearing socks, running out here with his socks on. I don't know what it is, but I just don't think he likes wearing shoes or cleats. That's my observation of the day.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a good one because I did notice after practice he walked all the way to the tower. I don't know where he was going or what he's going to do, but he's carrying his shoes.
Speaker 3: He was in his stocking feet okay. And did he have his water bottle with him? Yes, yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: Him he carries.
Speaker 3: I didn't notice the shoes, but I always noticed the water, like they have a water bottles.
Speaker 4: Thousands of my why has he got in the water bottle? But you went even deeper with the shoes.
Speaker 5: And well even during Mini camp and OTAs this year when he was out there with Britt Brown doing his rehab, no shoes. Yeah, I don't think he likes the shoes. It's part of his rehab. So Supreme letting us know that it's easier on his knees.
Speaker 4: Likely, how did you come up with the Supreme name? Produce the Supreme?
Speaker 2: Bill Jones?
Speaker 5: Bill Jones came.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So since you brought out Trayvon Diggs, it was great to see him. It was his first padded practice yesterday, took part in seven on seven. He didn't take part in team, but it was good to see him out there and immediately he was making plays on some passes in the seven on seven. So think about that. You've got a guy that's been to the Pro Bowl twice at cornerback on one side, and the guy that went to the Pro Bowl last year, Deron Bland on the other side. I did a little bit of research and also thanks to David Brusey in the Cowboys PR department, and we figured out that the Cowboys are the only team this year to have two Pro Bowlers starting at cornerback. You just don't incredible. What a luxury, right, I don't know, Nate, if you ever I mean, I know you played with Dion, but unfortunately Kevin Smith got hurt right away with a torn achilles. I mean, this might be the best cornerback combo the Cowboys have had in quite some time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's It's a nice combo. And I hope they take their time with with Trayvon. I even spoke to Trayvon. I said, make sure you're mentally ready. I mean, I'm not saying don't go back on the field, but make sure you're mentally ready, because a guy like him who breaks on the ball the way he does, in the way a Bland does, you want to make sure that is really there, not only physically, but mentally because a lot of times you can see things and you don't have the ability ability to get there. Make sure you have that ability to get there when you see it, you know. And and I've spoken to Britt Brown and brit on him to continue to work and to do extra things to make sure that he that he can be mentally ready and physically ready. I know he's physically ready because if Britt Brown lets you loose, you're physically ready.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not because his motto is when I let you turn, you loose to practice. Yes, I don't want you back, That's right. And so they make sure. And one of the reasons Savannah, I think he doesn't get out there immediately. He's still doing some of his recaps. Yes, he is doing the warm ups that that he needs to do, but just seeing him out there, uh, competing, and you knew he was chomping at the bit. He even when they put him on pop, he wanted to practice, but they thought that, uh, it was more valuable to use his time continuing to rehab, because once you get out there and practice, you may just slough off your rehab yes, uh and yeah right, he'll uh, he'll take care of that. So that was one of the things that I think was a good thing.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yesterday and from an injury standpoint, a couple Ryan Flornoy returned to practice. He was dealing with a little bit of a knee, so it was good to see him uh back out there.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: They were still without uh Douce Vaughan. It's got a little bit of a strained hamstring, so he was working on the side.
Speaker 3: Zeke ric O'Donnell, what's my guy there? Those are your three backs. Duke's got to go. Uh And I'm not going off the team, but DU's gotta gotta gotta time.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And this is this is what Deuce has to do.
Speaker 4: From my point of view.
Speaker 3: It was a great kid, played for Philadelphia a lot of years. About his same height. I can't think of his name. He has to be one cut and gone, deucey is that what you're thinking of. It's another guy, okay, Uh, you have to have and he come from Kansas City, I mean from Kansas too. He was a guy who played. Yeah he played for Kansas too in his earlier years. But my thing is this one cut and gold you you can't you can't make you cut and hesitate to see which way to guys you're thinking Darren spcause Sprolls started out slow too in his career, but once he figured it out, it's like, I'm quickening all of these guys. Now my anticipation of once I stop, I gotta go. Once I make a move, I gotta anticipate what he's gonna do. And now time I ten, your first instinct is gonna take you. Because he has the speed and explosiveness. But sometimes he hesitates a little bit too long, and these guys are athletic enough and this thing to recover. So once he make that cut, once he makes that stop, his next step gotta be going ninety going north.
Speaker 2: So they're continuing to talk about running back by committee right now. To me, the committee is Zeke, rico'dondo and probably Royce Freeman. Now he had a little bit of a man limp growing. No, there's gonna be four of them. They're gonna keep Lepke as a as.
Speaker 4: A full back and a third down back.
Speaker 2: And a third down back as you've seen him as a one out there. But I think they keep four.
Speaker 4: Oh, they gonna keep four.
Speaker 2: I think so, and I think that Royce Freeman right now is head ahead. But he was I had a groin issue yesterday and I saw Malite Davis sort of like, hey, got my hand in the air. I'm still here. By the way, you guys kind of liked me previously. So he was getting more reps and you know what it maybe you can speak to this trendy camp is about reps. If you get opportunities, then you got to cash in. But if you don't get the opportunity, yeah, you get overlooked. Right.
Speaker 5: Also, just a note on Royce Freeman. The other day during coach McCarthy's presser, he noted how well Royce Freeman has been doing this training camp and how just happy they are to have him on this roster, and he said specifically he does everything well. He has a chance to be one of our primary players on special teams. So I think that's really important to note how they potentially want to use Royce freemant. But I do completely agree with you, Nate Hunter. Lupkey absolutely love what he's been doing. He is such a neutral mindset. He's so focused on the game right now, and I think he has a lot to bring to the table.
Speaker 3: I agree the thing the thing that I'm looking for, and Zeke gives that.
Speaker 4: That's durability.
Speaker 3: The best ability is availability and that is Zeke now. And I was telling Zeke the other day man rubbed some of that toughness off on the Rico O'Donnell Rico would get out of this league as a as a well known player, but why is he out wall He stayed injured, you know, after three or four years of five and six games missing, coaches a kind of like they're doing the leak, you know, kind of forget about you, and you don't want that. So some of that, some of that stuff you have to work through. Some rose injuries you have to work through and make sure. I think he tried to do a lot of it, as should work through the injuries.
Speaker 4: But they're not careful. It'll be Zeke and Hanah Limpke.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what I thought that. You know, when they first signed Royce Freeman, I was like, well, it's a camp body assurance. Well, he showed he could be maybe more than that. But I think the bottom line right now is this, if you want to call it committee, I think the running backs have looked between Zeke and Rio, rico'dado and lip Key. I think these guys have played well so far there. I can't wait till the scrimmage and then the game. Now. I don't know how much they're going to put Zeke into a preseason now at SOFI on Sunday, but I bet he gets some work against the Rams right out here on Thursday. And he's looked good. He looks spry. He had a one cut yesterday that he just left everybody behind. So don't what I'm saying is, don't sell Zeke short.
Speaker 4: You know what, do what you want. Zeke got a lot left.
Speaker 3: When you know, I screamed to the top of my lungs and Supreme over there, I'll tell you, I was like, lock him in a room and let all the free agency pass, and they just offer him three mil because that's what I already had the right.
Speaker 5: Now say that all, yes, you did.
Speaker 4: That, man, You should have never left. And he just kind of looked at me, smiled at me.
Speaker 2: Should have done it last year, last year.
Speaker 3: But and I talked us to Zeke, if you would have been here, maybe we would have still had Tony Pollock because he would have been more healthier. We wouldn't have had to use him as much because we would have had you and you can still Toalke the rock you know last year between you and him, I just I just felt last year we kind of dropped the ball on that, but we we still was successful twelve.
Speaker 4: Wins, you know. And uh, but man Zeke has always been he quick stories.
Speaker 3: I was talking about the big kid that went to the big running back out of Bama at the time, I can't think of his name, and uh, that's why I was on too, and Mick was telling me, Man.
Speaker 4: You like this guy in college?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, big Henry and that in the cornerback that went to the Rams and now he's in Miami.
Speaker 4: And so those were my two guys in that draft. But Mick was all about this kid.
Speaker 3: I saw him over there at the stadium and I loved him, and I talked about he was.
Speaker 4: Gonna run over everybody.
Speaker 3: And then one day makes it well, you're talking about it, and then a carler came in and say, you're really talking about this kid. You really like this kid, but you're going with this other kid. What's your issue here? From that day on, I've been a Zeke fan and Zeke is real. Zeke is the closest thing to emmittt not in yards, but I'm talking endurability, the abilities to play through pain and to contend you, to give you a high level of performance. Zeke is nothing special. He is not gonna break sixty seventy yards unless it's perfect. But he's gonna give you one hundred and ten yards and then maybe fifteen carriages and maybe one hundred and fifteen carriages.
Speaker 4: He can give you that weekend and week out him.
Speaker 3: We don't have to use him that way this year with Rico O'Donnell and with Limke.
Speaker 4: Now we can just slowly build him up into the playoffs.
Speaker 2: And I saw and usually don't get this out of a veteran running back. I can't remember. I think it was Saturday. They did a little goal line. He was in on goal line, Yes, and he knocked people back into the end zone to get the ball into the end zone.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: And that's the Zeke that we know, Yes, And that's the.
Speaker 2: Zeke that we know needed too last year and they've got him this year. And we'll continue here on mixed shots in a moment in Auxnard, California.
Speaker 6: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 2: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less filling.
Speaker 6: What are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Miller Lite tastes great. Look, I'm just.
Speaker 5: Reading the script.
Speaker 2: It is less filling.
Speaker 4: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 2: Hell mindset.
Speaker 7: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm rashine legal guy, Celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 1: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point Jo Graham's Carvers for twelve ounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 8: Fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties, let yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo ki Hero's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 4: The press down.
Speaker 2: Who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 8: He escapes left.
Speaker 5: He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 8: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader. They've got you covered? What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com to.
Speaker 4: Mick shot.
Speaker 5: Cowboys Nation. Dallas Cowboys United, presented by Globelife, is now exclusively in the Dallas Cowboys App. Joined the Official Fan Club today to receive access to the all new Cowboys drops feature team news and pre sale access and fan and kid of the game. Download the app now to join.
Speaker 2: In that better Nate her reading them things than me.
Speaker 4: It's pretty good. Yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 2: All right, we got a few minutes left here on Talking Talking Cowboys mix shots. Right, you remember when we did that, Nicky, We did that on the the game the game pregame show. Nate was going to finish the segment out and I said, thanks for joining us here on Talking Cowboys, and he goes, you're doing too many shows. Ye to the place, save me? All right, Here's something that I've noticed. We seem to have somebody different every day sort of stepping up. And you notice, I thought, yesterday Jalen Brooks had a really good day. Yes the day before it was Jalen Cropper. Maybe before that it was t Billy right, and then defensively, you know, Josh Butler will step up and make some plays. The other day it was Janie Thomas. But the key to these young guys is you gotta do that day in and day out. Right. You can't, as Bill Parcells would say, can't be a one hit wonder. You gotta be able to be consistent to make an impression.
Speaker 3: And that's why we're talking about our first round pick guiding. You gotta be out here to stack good day onto good day on to good day, and the whole day won't be perfect, but for the majority of you're getting better in your technique. You're getting better in your knowledge of the offense, and you're and what you have to do within that offensive scheme. And that is what we're looking for, you know, you know, to be out here to do your job. And like you say, every day it's a guy just stepping up, you know. But can they do it to the point where Dak would notice it and say, hey man, until this missing player get back, you are my guy, you know. So he's trying to make Billy that guy that that that that stud guy. But Billy is a lily inconsistent with the drop sometimes, you know, he would drop every nine DN.
Speaker 2: So I tell you who's stepped up and it's a real connection. It's DAK and Brandon Cooks. Yes, they've developed something I think special without c d here. Yes, that's his guy right now, right guys have seen that.
Speaker 5: Yes, definitely a little bit of that. And obviously like Brandon Cooks being that vet here that this wide receiver room can look up to love seeing that connection between him and Dak. But you did hit it straight on the consistency that you're seeing out of some of these throws right now with Dak and some of these receivers. You need to see these receivers keep that consistency a little bit. Cooks is one of them. Jalen Tolbert, I feel like, is another guy that's been more consistent. And yes, these guys are having some good days, they're having a little bit of off days, but I'd like to see Jalen Brooks kind of keep that consistency. And then Tyron Billy Johnson as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Von Turpan he's getting lost in he was two years ago. He was that guy we couldn't stop talking about.
Speaker 4: But has been pretty consistent.
Speaker 2: He has, and if you look at what they've been doing with the when they go Nickel top three receivers. Turpin's in there, and he's making plays too, by the way. I always thought he would, you know. I mean he got a little bit more of a chance last year as a receiver. I think they're going to rely on them a little more. Get the ball in his hands. Yes, you remember to see how many times they've tried that end around with him to start a series. Right, Keep the defense honest when they get in those pressure situations. Uh so, Yeah, But I just think Dak and Cooks are really cooking. How about that?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And and and and it when when they were in like third and whatever, the ball's going to Cooks and he gets open consistently, and against the first team, uh defense. The other thing that I wanted to mention is this tight end room. It's pretty crowded.
Speaker 5: It's one to watch, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: You know, Ferguson is picking up where he left off, and then let's let's see what goes on after that. Schoon Maker was having a good, good camp and now he's out with a tight growing right, And that's what you were talking about Nate staying healthy, right, I.
Speaker 4: Just it's just.
Speaker 3: Him Schoonmaker. Uh No, the guy, the defensive back with the great name. Uh, mock up a more, Uh you got me, give me a hint. I'm I'm fine, qualm is he he? They stay hurt, you you can depend on these guys, and I hate to say that they're gonna get hurt. And another guy who's getting through, who's forcing himself through is Tuma. Those three guys, ever since.
Speaker 4: They've been here, have missed most of training camp.
Speaker 3: You know, they'll go two days, they'll miss two days, and you have and these guys all have great.
Speaker 4: Potential to be swing.
Speaker 3: Tackle, to be playing all the positions, but in the secondary and Schoolmaker, we didn't bring you here to to not be to not force this team to play less than two tight ends. We should be a two tight ends team, Schoolmaking Ferguson and.
Speaker 4: And that's how it should be.
Speaker 3: But the guy's been he's been hurt, not serious way he can't play, can't come back, but serious enough that he can't prosper and be better as a tight end.
Speaker 2: And I think that tight end group is it's it's getting pretty full. John Stevens keeps showing up, as you know, he's more of a pass catcher obviously, but when you're going to tight ends, you know, you need guys that can block. And I noticed one guy that has getting more opportunities is Princeton Fan. Yes, and I thought he was maybe just a camp body, right, but he's he's kind of built strange. He's six two fifty and I saw yesterday they were using him at full back and it wasn't like an h back thing. It was as another full back and he'll stick his head in there. So you got him. Uh. And then the rookie for agent, Brevin spawned Ford has showed up as a complete tight end. So that room is pretty stocked, and you almost forget about Peyton Hendershot Uh that you know he's been here, what is his third fourth year?
Speaker 3: Now, this is another guy that has to be consistent throughout all of training camp.
Speaker 2: And both as a receiver and a block.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Uh, he's kind of up and down guy, especially with his with his moodiness. And I tell people not in this game, because you can pick the wrong day to be moody and you can be out of here, you know, because this because this fan guy can can turn it on for a couple of days and you not have it going on in your mind mentally, and.
Speaker 4: You can be out of here.
Speaker 3: You can be placed on the practice squad, or you can be on these other squads that that cow. I mean that the league is developing it every time I turn around and got a new name for a new set of guys.
Speaker 4: So you can be one of those guys.
Speaker 5: And we'll see exactly what the status is on Luke's schoonmaker later today and how maybe long this injury is gonna last for him. But in regards to Peyton Hendershot, yesterday he had a drop pass that did not look great. And just as you said, it doesn't matter what day it is, Yeah, you're here out at camp to make an impression. So he does need to have that step up. Because guys like Princeton fam have looked really good this camp so far, and they're using them in different areas. John Steven's coming back, you never know what he's about to bring to the table. So this room, as kind of large as it is, and we've talked about them probably bringing on four guys out of this, I feel like it's narrowing down slightly as we keep going into camp. So it's one room to really watch out for, right now, and.
Speaker 2: It's I think it's going to be a tough cut for them to see which tight ends they keep, because I don't know that you can cut some of these guys and get them on to the practice squad that you know they could be playing for somebody else. I think they're that talented there. So it's a good group to keep your eye on. But again, that's why these preseason games are so important. These guys have to step up in these prec You know everybody ohes oh, preseason games don't matter. These preseason games matter. They matter for these tight ends, they matter for the running backs, they matter for Trey Lance. There's a lot of guys that got a lot on the line in these preseasons.
Speaker 5: I have a question.
Speaker 3: Eleven and eleven, that's twenty two, right, yeah, then you take about six more guys. That's thirty thirty one in back. You better Yeah, it means a lot to thirty one in back. Believe me, I was one of them thirty ones in back, did you way?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you had to play. You had to play.
Speaker 3: You can set up in an advantage you have as a player going into preseason. You ain't got to worry about no tricky stuff. They in a cover two, they're gonna stand the COVID too. If they're in the over, they're gonna stand. They're gonna be a whole lot of moving around, jumping around. So as a player, you get to show the coach your skill. You ain't got to be stopping and thinking and hesitate. What they line up in. They basically stay in and so the play fits and you go. And so you get the chance to show the coaches your ability to run this play, to be technique, sound, and and to dominate. So the preseason are built for number thirty one and back.
Speaker 4: I promise you.
Speaker 5: I think that this scrimmage coming up here on Thursday, which will preview on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Thursday when we come back on is it mix shots.
Speaker 5: Yes, right, I think that is a very important day for this. It is well based on the fact this is the first time that these guys are being able to hit somebody other than their own teammates out here. So they're gonna really bring that energy. And that's a big preview as to you know, what they're gonna do as far as is lining guys up and looking at what that looks like. But I think preseason yes, Sundays on on the horizon here, but I think Thursday is one of the most important days of this training camp.
Speaker 3: And the Rams have always been a physical team when they come to Dallas to scrimmage or we go to them to the point where we haven't been able to complete them, you know.
Speaker 4: So it's been physical and it's been right. So here we go. I mean, I'm with you, miss Evanna.
Speaker 3: This is this is the first test, and you don't have to be oh, I'm sorry, just do what you gotta do, and.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you stepping in join us on Thursday. Oh yeah, I'll be back man, all right, and we will preview that scrimmage that will start here at two pm. I believe that's the start time. And we've had a great morning here on mixed Shots. We'll be back on Thursday. Thanks to Nate, Savannah, Chris and we will see you again on Thursday. On Dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.