Speaker 1: Welcome back. I'm Dale Allie. He is Matt Williamson. This is the Drive on Steelers Nation Radio and ESPN nine seventy our live ongoing coverage of Steelers training camp practices here at Saint Vincent College and this practice session winding down. But we still have one more uh competitive one, Yeah, one more competitive going on as we speak. Those at the offense and the defensive backs down at the other end of the field. You're working a little red zone nine on seven. We're getting a lot of one on ones, a lot of one on ones today.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know if Manny Jones has a spot here, but I found it interesting he was just working as a as an end. I mean he was working against a tackle coming off the ball, as you know, have an edge guy, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And getting another one of those guys that has some U has some NFL playing time on his belt, that is down the depth chart with his team. Because there's a lot of them, they get a lot, I really do. That's Ryan McCullum getting some snapping here in this one.
Speaker 2: Who's he battling there? So I couldn't be I couldn't get a good view of his numbers.
Speaker 3: Like sixty six.
Speaker 1: That would be uh James, yeah, Wana, why I'm glad you said that.
Speaker 2: I don't know that it was right, but I did say it works for me. Yeah. So he's listed six five, three oh five. He doesn't look that to me. He looks stumpier, but he's a newcomer, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's been with him the whole time.
Speaker 2: I believe, no has it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, that's the first time we've mentioned him.
Speaker 2: First, I've said his name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we go, okay, maybe we just avoided saying his name.
Speaker 2: I won't say it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, so we get a little uh here we go first down action here as they're calling this, get the ones against the ones.
Speaker 2: This is the one you're saying was move the ball.
Speaker 1: That's what it's. It's titled move the ball from four four one to four tenth. So they're a little behind schedule here, but that's okay. That gives us a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right, there's been a good long practice.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Okay, we got ones on ones and uh, who's it inside linebacker? We get Holcombe is out there? Who's he out there with? Is is it with Roberts or is he with looking here? Right, now I'm still only seeing one could be a dime. Paralys is out there though, Oh it's Parlie and her big are the outside linebacker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this isn't the true number one.
Speaker 1: D well all the defensive backs ever they are.
Speaker 2: I think that's Alexander on the second level. No, that's Roberts, that's Roberts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the snap and move of the moving the pocket. And we saw that play the other night. The pick it gets to snap and immediately takes off to his rent left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they move, Yeah, they are moving.
Speaker 1: They're moving the moving the sticks here on the so so that's about a five year five. Yeah, which is a nice easy throw for him, and it's a nice game on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you stay ahead of the sticks. And frankly, the defense doesn't hate it either. It's kind of a neutral play. Yeah, you know, second and five is very manageable for the defense. Minka is really the only big dog out there from the Patricks.
Speaker 1: Patrick Peterson's out.
Speaker 2: The front seven is not the front seven is not, but the secondary is the secondary and the second level is the second level.
Speaker 1: And this was a run to Naja Harris and well that got.
Speaker 2: Blown up, blown up pretty well by Roberts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Landon Roberts came probably jumping in.
Speaker 2: There, probably a negative one something like that. I think that's behind the line of scrimmage. My first contact was made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they moved there.
Speaker 2: They gave him credit for two or three yard game there. Though this may be somewhat scripted as well. You scripted out what you you want to play? Third and three, third and medium, third and short? What do you want?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: So this is a third and two not a good situation for the defense, because no, he can do whatever. And we see nausey Harris split out to the wide or far far away from and now he comes. He motions into the backfield and takes holcom in with him scrimmage like he's gonna blitz here. So we'll see what what he does here. And he he goes out with with Harris.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was being the whole way, I guess, Oh, make.
Speaker 1: It fit Patrick going up to it looked like he was he was going to nausey here. I think he was right and makeing Fitzpatrick undercut that midway through the pass. It was only just.
Speaker 2: Totally read it and come flying across the field swatted it down. It was interesting I wanted to see Nausey in that situation because you don't see him. I know he can do it. It just hasn't occurred a lot in his heeler career. One on one with the linebacker wheel wheel route. He's discouraged too. He wanted a shot to make a play. Yeah, his ball skills are really good, and Holkom did a nice job on that.
Speaker 1: He did he initially he initially thought, you know, just thumped the right tackle, and then he saw Harris taking off out of the backfield and turned him around with him.
Speaker 2: And why I was going with that is I think Kenny's trying to throw back shoulder to Naugy like that would have been fun to see.
Speaker 1: Okay, we get the second team defense out there. Now, who's that at quarterback? Is I still pick it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I think it's a match.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Tribiscus they get twos against twos. Here we get some motionary motion to Austin. Austin screaming across the formation. Jaylen Warren slithers through the hole. There they're gonna give him. They give them there looks like by the game of six.
Speaker 2: Okay, it looked like a good hole. But then louder Milk kind of put his hands up like, hey, I could have got him.
Speaker 1: We're gonna call that seven. That's where Marcella is marking it there, so it's be second and three here. But nice little run there.
Speaker 2: He gets good play design too, he gets skinny quick. No, you're right, does a good.
Speaker 1: Job of getting lost in the hole. He's gonna line up to Trubisky's right this time. Double receivers to the left, single receiver to his right. Get a tight end to the left side of the formation as well. There's the snap and he's looking left. Gets it out there. Yeah, nice to throw and catch it by Austin. That gets the first down.
Speaker 2: Well away from his body. Yep, not a bad throw either.
Speaker 1: Not if they get the first down, they're staying on the field. Trubisky in the second unit saying on the field here. He walks him up to the line, scream he's no huddle on that time.
Speaker 2: A little flip. Nice work there. Forty eight. Rochet played that one.
Speaker 1: Rochet did a nice shob of sniffing that out. Yeah, he had the motion to one side or the faked hand off to the running back, and Trubisky turned and flipped the ball to Austin who had come behind him behind the formation.
Speaker 2: Really get ahead of steam for that guy. Yeah, but now Rochet did not crash down on it.
Speaker 1: Maybe a short game there on that one. Yeah, we got maybe one or two yards and nine yeah, yeah, second and eight, so he got two yards there. Now he has worn to his left in the shotgun.
Speaker 2: I might take a shot to Austin.
Speaker 1: Here we get some motion by gunner roal Chewsky from right to left. He goes to the slot on the left.
Speaker 2: Side, and safety recognized the Austin threat looking down the middle. I think they wanted to take a shot to Austin, but the safety just kept cheating, cheating, cheating at the snap.
Speaker 1: And that opened up Cody White though about fifteen yards down the field in the middle, down the seam a little bit.
Speaker 2: It worn't care by the offense.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: That takes him down another first down down to the thirty nine to Bisky.
Speaker 2: Looks like you guy, it's been around the block.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, not huddling them again. They get that motion behind the quarterback to Austin and this time he hands it off to Warren instead. Warren goes for a short game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was Leo. He really got the Matt made a nice play there.
Speaker 1: The defense subbing some guys in, as is the offense here, Spencer Anderson coming off.
Speaker 2: We had a nice practice, okay.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Marshall coming on as well. Offense huddling this time. They had huddled before, so once they uh, once they get some subs in there, you might as well huddle up.
Speaker 2: Roderick Jones in there. But you got a couple of the threes mixed in.
Speaker 1: Anthony McFarlane now in the backfield behind Tribisky is under center, and he fakes the handoff and goes right down the miscommunication, misscommunication between Trubisky and boy boy Can ran a curl and uh, Trubisky threw it like it was a scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he was going there from the start play action boom, that's where he wanted to go.
Speaker 1: And it was single single coverage there right right.
Speaker 2: So I assume he ran the wrong route.
Speaker 1: That might be a read route.
Speaker 2: I imagine. I think it's on the fly adjustment that I'm guessing the receiver screwed up. Okayhich was awful decisive.
Speaker 1: We got third and long here. Now McFarland to Trubisky's right in the shotgun. We get some motion there. William right's left by Williams, he's like a four or five guy by.
Speaker 2: The way, I know he's he can play Oh good pass rushing big Yeah, and that goes incomplete.
Speaker 1: That's fourth down. That'll do that.
Speaker 2: I was I was watching Williams there and killibrew did a really nice job of them tied him up with the line of scrimmage and screwed up his timing. Yeah, he's walk. We can do this with the third team. Now they're going to do let's the first team do it again. I see looks like Kenny's he's putting his helmet back. Yeah, it looks like Kenny's getting ready here.
Speaker 1: It looks like they're going to give them another shot.
Speaker 2: I like this period.
Speaker 1: They're going to start here again. At the thirty.
Speaker 2: A couple will be first down, unhappy, offensive people coming to the sidelines, kind of slow hanging their hat.
Speaker 1: It's a tough period though, because I don't know how much like Trubisky went went no huddle there a little bit, and we saw the same play twice. We just saw a different variation of that same play. Like is that how they're you know, is that an option for the quarterback is he can either hand it off to the back or he flips it to this.
Speaker 2: I assume Matt Canada is saying, tempo, temple, let's go. You know, we got them how we want to you know, I assume that that's in on the fly call, or you got the defensive personnel in the game, you wanted to.
Speaker 1: Play action at pocket. Oh nice job there by making Fitzpatrick breaking. It looked like he was going to be there. Yeah, pickt had time. It was a nice throw and as Patrick closed late.
Speaker 2: And just a tremendous football player in the secondary.
Speaker 1: Ksey's letting him hear about it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Maybe Kenny could have been a little earlier pulling the trigger, but the way make it closed, I'm not sure it would have mattered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he may have been reading that.
Speaker 2: He basically was a man the man with pickings. By the way, Yeah, most safeties don't succeed in that situation.
Speaker 1: Most aren't the best safety in the league. All right, So picket now in the shotgun with Nagia Harris to his left. We got trips down here to the right side, a single receiver at the top. That's Deontay Johnson motion by Harris's.
Speaker 2: Safety blitz picked up. Well, yeah, make.
Speaker 1: It coming on that one and they so they flip off.
Speaker 2: I think he ran right into a guard, but he was up. He was a singer too high for a while, and they you know, kind of pull them all to ask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, coming at the the snap there. I haven't seen him blitz a lot.
Speaker 2: No, No, he haven't. Yeah, I thought that's why it was noteworthy. I mean, it's done a lot of different stuff, but their tenure for the first team offense. I need to get Jalen Warren in there to his left, trips again to the right. See if he motions anybody this time doesn't look like it. No, he takes a snap straight. Oh, gets pressure, Yeah, but he rolls away from it.
Speaker 1: Oh past the Deontay Johnson broken up. There is that making Fitzpatrick again? Make us down here.
Speaker 2: That was Levi Wallace. Yeah, a really nice player. Good good series by the defense. Yeah, yeap.
Speaker 1: Casey's given Deontay Johnson the business are little gives him a little hugging. Johnson says, get at him. Johnson's signal is that Coach Tomlin and Mike tom walking Deontay away from the defense or the Yeah, the defense a lot, but that might have been a situation where something with dinner was.
Speaker 2: I had that feeling, you know, like push ups or lobster.
Speaker 1: Well tonight, that's where that.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't shock me if we go to dinner like, yeah.
Speaker 1: The defense is still giving it to the offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, d one that period, that's for sure. They're letting the whole world now.
Speaker 1: They're patting themselves on the back, Mike Tom bringing the team together there and again good practice competition periods like that.
Speaker 2: Not everyone does it to that degree around the league, and it's.
Speaker 1: It's it's good natured competition.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure they're I've seen situations working pretty good.
Speaker 1: I've seen situations before where the you know, the offense and defense didn't get along.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's not in the case, especially this late in the camp.
Speaker 1: And yeah, guys are you know, tired of seeing each other, sired of hearing from the same guys. Case, He's he's a little.
Speaker 2: Little matt it's a little stinger too, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But it's all in fun and a good practice served by the Steelers here and they got it in no rain throughout the course of this practice, if it's coming or not.
Speaker 2: But it kind of looks like it.
Speaker 1: It is cloudy here. I'll tell you what. The field crew has done a great.
Speaker 2: Job, they really have. It looks like it's hardly been played on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't know how they've done it, because we've gotten a pretty good amount of rain over the course of this camp and then followed by yeah, a lot of use and periods of sun right after that usually is bad for the grass when you get the rain and then the heat rate after it, and of course you're still cutting it. But they've done a great job of keeping this thing in shape.
Speaker 2: No, they have. It's always impressive because we go late, you know, way after practice, and the work they put in post practice every day is very impressive. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But we're going to get to another break now. The practice is completed here at Saint Fencent College. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lawley. You're listening to the Drive on Steelers Nation Radio and ESPN nine seventy. We'll be back with more right after this.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: I'm Dale Lallie.
Speaker 2: He is Matt Williamson.
Speaker 1: This is the Drive on Steelers Nation Radio and ESPN nine seventy are ongoing coverage from Saint Fencing College. But the Steelers just wrapped up training camp. Practice again. You just a couple more days, Matt, for fans to make it out here. The ceilings back on the field Tomorrow. Thursday's practice is now at one fifty five pm as well. That one will be open to the public, and then that will do it for the public practices here at Saint Fencing College. Right the next time the public, the only time the public will be able to see the Steelers from that point on, will be at games right right right the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: Same with us. We have two more drives after today. Right from here, I get.
Speaker 1: To watch a lot of practices.
Speaker 2: Well, you can see a lot of practice, I know that part. But in terms of our broadcasting schedule.
Speaker 1: Broadcasting the live broadcasting from practice, that will be that will be.
Speaker 2: Ended, that will be ended after Thursday. Yes, so we've got today, the rest of the day and Wednesday, Thursday.
Speaker 1: Yes stuff Matt I mentioned earlier in the show the Steelers making some roster moves. They are not alone.
Speaker 2: We saw it.
Speaker 1: We've seen some movement here in the running back markets. A couple of days here, Dalvin Cook signing with the Jets. I think he got eight million dollars.
Speaker 2: He's got a legit deal, yeah, like starter money, right.
Speaker 1: And then we saw Ezekiel Elliott sign with the Patriots at I believe four million dollars.
Speaker 2: I didn't see his Okay, that sounds about right. Cook's worth more than Zeke at this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but those two veteran running backs now off the market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think they're concerned about Breese Hall.
Speaker 1: Obviously, they actually activated Hall to the Pulpless today today, but it's the same time that they signed Dalvin Cook. Figure.
Speaker 2: So the way I heard that expected to go is hopefully from their standpoint is they hope Cook's the guy right from the start, ease haul into it. But the way they're framing it, or the way you know New York media is framing it, is this is a team that plans on playing seventeen regular season games and quite a few playoff games, and you know who knows if that happens or not. I also heard Rogers influence his decision quite a bit. You know, he had reworked his contract recently played against Cook twice a year in the NFC North, you know, year after year after year.
Speaker 1: So Aaron Aaron Rodgers is essentially their GM now. It sure seems that way.
Speaker 2: I mean, Ascalizard and Randall Cobb and all the guys that have added with him. But it's another weapon. I mean, I don't know that it is a huge indictment that Hall won't be a big time player this year, but it's not a great sign for him, and it's a good landing spot for Cook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think it makes them a better team. Yeah, no doubt about it. I think I feel better about where the Jets are at right now than I do the Dolphins.
Speaker 2: They're a lot deeper. Yeah, They're definitely a lot deeper. And I think they have a better quarterback.
Speaker 1: You know, we talked about it last week. So Cam Smith there, the cornerback who they were expecting to take Jalen Ramsey's while he is out injured his shoulder at training camp. Now, so now you're down two of your top three cornerbacks. That was their first round draft pick this year. They're right back to square one at the defensive backs. Yeah, yeah, second, and that looked like a real depth area.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was gonna be Howard and Ramsey Smith they could bring along slow and then Smith got thrust into the mix. Have you heard how bad the shoulder is.
Speaker 1: At least two weeks with the shoulder.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's questionable for the sort of season. Yeah, I understand. Yeah, And you know they're pass rush and is gonna be key. That's not gonna be a huge Bulitz defense like he used to be. I mean, a big scheme change. With Fangio taking over, they basically, even though Flora is left and obviously was here last year, they kept his system last year with one of his assistants, so they're learning a lot on the fly. And Thoughts Corner was gonna be a huge week or strength, now we'll see. I mean it definitely. Ramsey's not gonna be around. We know that. And you know I do like where the Jets trap better than Miami the more I think about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I just feel, you know, I don't see three teams coming out of that division this year.
Speaker 2: I don't either. Does the Zeke thing change your mind at all about New England?
Speaker 1: Me? Neither.
Speaker 2: I think he's pretty washed.
Speaker 1: So in fact, somebody tweeted out their their skill guys. Oh, I've really upgraded their skill guys, have they.
Speaker 2: That's I think it's like bottom six or seven skill guys in the league. Yeah, I mean to me, it's still Stevenson and everybody else in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're still counting on DeVante Parker and guys like that.
Speaker 2: Right, right, with all respect to Juju, he's not a one, right, you know, it's shick.
Speaker 1: He got hurt yesterday and yeah that's a separated shoulder. He's out for a while.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much you've paid the attention to Taekwon Thornton. It was their second round pick last year. There's a lot of talk that he might not even make the team. Drafting wide receivers again, brutal. I mean to put in perspective, like he was a second round pick last year. He runs like a four to two thin dude. So they rested in the preseason their first three receivers and Thornton still is the third re season, you know. So I mean with three guys out of the mix and two receiver sets, he wasn't even out there, you know. So there's not even really a youngster to say ready to grab and take it. Take a hold of things. I mean, their defense looks great, but I'm with you. I don't think three teams come out of that division. And if I'm the Bills, sure these teams look more frightening than they have been. But I still feel pretty confident I'm the best team in the East.
Speaker 1: Yeah I do too. Yeah, I think they're the most I mean they're a veteran team. I think they're a complete team. You know, it's just they get the best quarterback.
Speaker 2: They get the best quarterback. They have the I don't know if I say the best defense, but a really good defense. Get Von Miller back. I mean that goes a long way as well. Ken Kaid's look good. I mean I'm kind of interested to watch him against Steelers two. I still think their other receivers are so so looks like Shakiir's taken over as the third guy. I think you and I both are really high on him. When he came out of school. I was shocked he fell as long as they did.
Speaker 1: I've heard different reports. I've heard he's not the third guy in Buffalo really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hasty was the one that they had a lot of hope for.
Speaker 1: It's not him either. It's a it's a veteran guy. Let me let me get the Bills depth chart. We'll talk more about them as wos.
Speaker 2: On Yeah, right right. Dave Davis is the two, which I think he's an overrated guy, but.
Speaker 1: It's been from what I saw and what they started in the last game, Trent Sherfield is actually.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, okay, interesting because Shakir played put up numbers in this past game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sherfield again, you know who do they who they trust? You know who they trust in that spot? They they lost all their slot guys from last year, and I think I think we all just assumed that, you know that, well, in the second year, you would expect that Shakiro would move into that spot. Yeah, Sherfield started the last game.
Speaker 2: I mean it's gonna be yeah, without question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, uh, that's gonna be a good challenge for the Steelers on Saturday against the Buffalo Bills. Again, a team that, uh, you know, everybody expects to be in content at least.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a top four team in any power ranking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would think that they're gonna they're gonna be in contention, not just to win that division, but probably right being contention to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Saw what they did to the Steelers in the regular season last year too, Yeah, it wasn't pretty. So I am looking forward to that game quite a bit. And the depth too. I mean, I still think third and fourth quarter stuff that we're gonna see from the Steeler team is pretty favorable. I mean, it's gonna be a nice test for a Steeler row line early. I don't know if we'll see von Miller, but they got a lot of first round picks, big money guys on the defensive line. They haven't quite got that money out of them. But I definitely think they're the two best divisions in the league, the AFC North and in East.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be tough, I mean do Okay, So if we don't think more than two teams come out of the East, do more than two teams come out of the AFC North.
Speaker 2: I think it just depends what you think of the Chargers. If the Chargers are a playoff team, well drives up pretty quick. Yeah, right, I tend to think they are the Chargers, but you could still get two in the North to in the East to in the West. I don't think anyone thinks too in the South is in.
Speaker 1: The car No, I don't think. I don't think there's two.
Speaker 2: So I don't see Denver the Raiders as a playoff team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really. To me again, I can't get past I'm not in on the Ravens this year. As you know, I think that you know that the playoff spot, the you know, potential playoff spot in the AFC North. I think right now it's still the everybody's saying the Bengals are still the best team in.
Speaker 2: The North, and as it stands right now, I think they are.
Speaker 1: Things can change things.
Speaker 2: I also throw injuries still looming.
Speaker 1: It comes down to Steelers versus Browns, and.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're pretty you seem pretty confident that you're gonna put the Ravens forth in your final predictions. I am, okay, I'm still kicking it around. But their defense really worries. It's very concerned.
Speaker 3: More.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sold on their offensive line being ready to do what they want to do.
Speaker 2: This year, even you know, I think that's part of much different responsibilities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna go there, going from being a fifty to fifty run pass team to potentially being more conventional you know, sixty to forty past the run.
Speaker 2: And having red and a second and third tight end help you all the time too, and you know coming forward all the time. Yeah, I could see the line. That's one of the lines. And we've talked about this that when you see these O line rankings, they're often well above the Steelers and that one doesn't compute to me. And I don't get it. I get the Browns. I mean it's a good line. I think it's a declining line slowly. I think the Bengals will put a lot into their line, but it's probably average. I would take the Steelers line over the Bengals.
Speaker 1: So the right now, the Browns are practicing against the Eagles this week. Oh are they getting ready for their preseason game? Okay, yesterday defensive end Miles Garrett left with a foot in Yeah. Sure, Jack Conklin has a possible concussion, and Denzel Ward suffering from an illness.
Speaker 2: He left practice early as well. So who knows what that means. But I saw Miles Garrett came out and was signing in signing for kids and stuff after. Yeah, but he left practice in his fare foot Yeah yeah, yeah, you know he's not putting a shoe on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think the Browns are very I think if you look at their starting lineup, you go, Okay, that's pretty good. But I don't know that they have any depth anywhere.
Speaker 2: No, it's not great. He mentioned Conklin with the concussion possibly. I don't know how long he hangs on either. He's kind of put together with you know, duck duct tape and yeah, wire, you know, I mean they I could see Dwad Jones end up being the right tackle sooner than later.
Speaker 1: They put James Hudson in to replace him when he Yeah, he's a third round draft pick a couple of years. He's ahead of j on the death chart right now. You know, we'll see about day one. Jones, I don't know. He's a massive human being and I think he's better than File who happens right, right, But I didn't get to see enough of them at the Senior Bowl. Like he had a good day in the first day of the Senior Bowl and then just shut it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was all agent driven. Yeah, like, and it's funny is I liked him coming out, But I've also heard he likes basketball a lot more than he likes football, and you know, doesn't love the training aspect and likes food. Yeah yeah, and what's interesting about the Senior Bowl? And good for him, it's a good move. But if you watch the Senior Bowl practice, for whatever reason, every rep he took, the opponents tried to go right down the middle of him, like they didn't make him change directions.
Speaker 1: I get this, the biggest man out here, I'm gonna try to rush him, the bull rush him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm sure that these guys don't do a lot of you know, gearing up for the Senior Bowl. You may not even know the tackles you're going against. But just look at the human being. I mean, he makes all these big guys look tiny, Like, why am I going right right down the middle of them? They did time and time again. So he just shuts it down and says, I have a little injury. I'm going home. Yeah you know, Yeah, I walked out mic drop. You know it worked that perfect for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's gonna be interesting. I think in the AFC North it's gonna be a blast.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think the entire AFC playoff race is going to be interesting this year. You can't have the stumbles. No, right, right, and you just can't. From week to week every game is going to be important.
Speaker 2: They just are. They are. And again we've brought this up numerous times. The AFC schedule for the Steelers is quite favorable. Yeah, I think that's a huge advantage that some of these other teams that we're talking about for playoff spots don't have.
Speaker 1: No, I agree as well. I mean, you know, if you just look at the Browns schedule as opposed to the Steelers schedule, you think, oh, it can't be that different.
Speaker 2: A couple of games that are different.
Speaker 1: Looking here at their at their non conference schedule, who they play versus who the Steelers play, and that matches up for them. They have to go to Denver. When is that November twenty.
Speaker 2: At least it's not early in the season for them, but yeah, that's still a tough place to play. Yeah, I don't know what to make of Denver.
Speaker 1: What's the other game they got to play? Chicago December seventeenth.
Speaker 2: Which could be a mucket up kind of game for sure.
Speaker 1: I mean that could be a perfect game for Justin Field to go run around, you know in the Cleveland slop.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, we've seen it where the game was it doesn't matter. They're both the sloppiest fields in the league.
Speaker 1: We've seen some of those games in recent years in Cleveland that where it's.
Speaker 2: Just, yeah, sometimes the weather is not advantaged.
Speaker 1: You can't throw the football at all.
Speaker 2: No, right, right, right. And obviously they're a very good running team, and Watson's a good runner as well, but sometimes the weather in Cleveland late works as an equalizer. I mean, they're already now they're more talented team than the Bears. But if Miles Garrett can't get off the ball, and when all of a sudden, you.
Speaker 1: Know you've got a running quarterback, and okay, we're just gonna not even try to throw the ball. We're gonna Austin fields just follow blockers left right.
Speaker 2: You would think the Bears would love them. I mean, that's bad conditioning.
Speaker 1: That's how the Bears beat San Francisco last year. And yeah, that monsoon. Yeah right, So we'll see. Anyway, we're gonna get to another break here. When we come back. We are going to hear from Spencer Anderson the interview with him earlier. He is Matt Williamson, I am Dale Lallie you're listening to the Drive here on Steelers Nation Radio and ESPN nine seventies.
Speaker 2: Oh by the way, Dale, I need some help for our fantasy focus. I need some help. I'll tell people about it later. Okay, all right, we'll get to that, lad, all right, yes, but we're gonna take a break down. We'll be back with more right after this. Welcome back.
Speaker 1: I'm Dale Lollie. He is Matt Williamson. We are live from Steelers training camp here at Saint Pensive College where the Steelers I just finished up their practice session a little bit ago and earlier today had an opportunity to catch up with Steelers rookie offensive lineman. And I say offensive lineman because.
Speaker 2: It's a broad brush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, broad brush. He has played every position on the offensive line at some point or another, Uh, including a lot of center today.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: So let's hear from Spencer Anderson about how his transition is going here.
Speaker 2: He said, they basically you've played every spot on the offensive line out here, but not so much as center. You said, you got you a few snaps at center here and there, because they feel like that's they know you're comfortable there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, is it tough like when you find out each.
Speaker 3: Day where they want you to line up.
Speaker 1: I just hey, Anderson in there, Anderson in there.
Speaker 4: It's usually like a you know, probam. When you get out there, it's like you're gonna be here.
Speaker 3: Good, you can be there today?
Speaker 4: Or is it you know sometimes just you know, I'm thinking I'm in one spot and then uh, you know, I'll be repping the hold day like left tackle to say, and then you know I'll be going in that right guard before then.
Speaker 3: So it's like you got these two right guard, you get the next four left tackle.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's cool, men, But even like today, I was told I'll probably be a center today. So I was like, Cools, cool with me, and you know, just got to get my feet high and uh be ready whenever I can.
Speaker 2: He said, there says a lot about you, your ability to do that and not just do it okay, four reps here, three reps over there, Like the ability to do all that in the same practice that that's a that's a skill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just uh just everything's flipped in your head.
Speaker 3: You just kind of just kind of gotta, you know, just just keep.
Speaker 4: Your feet high and be ready. You know, obviously you know, Center being more more of a talk. Now i'm'a have to uh you know, start locking in on you know, protection and uh id in and stuff like that, which I mean, I've been paying attention cause I'm I kind of envisioned this was gonna happen, and uh so I was kind of, you know, just showing up on my protection rules and stuff like that, making sure everybody's on the same page that way. You know, when I do go to Center, it doesn't it's not like, alright, you know, it.
Speaker 3: Was your first day. I get it.
Speaker 4: You know you're gonna have to mess up to whatever, but you know, I kind of wanna have it have a strong grip of it when I first get out there.
Speaker 2: Turn so about doing that in the game though, did they tell you before you win you play three different.
Speaker 3: Sponsor the game?
Speaker 1: Right? Did they tell you you're gonna play three different sponsor?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Pat had told me right before the game.
Speaker 4: He's like, hey, He's like, second quarter, I'm looking to get you inside first.
Speaker 3: So I was like, all right, cool. So I went in inside first and I was like all right cool.
Speaker 4: And then he was like, I mean, rep you was how many drives you had to tackle, and I was like, nah, just do a right guard for three drives. And he's like, he's like, all right, he said, take a driver and tackle.
Speaker 3: Alright, Like let's do it. And then that was doing the same drive that I was through the bomb.
Speaker 4: Calverny and then uh, you know, he's like, I mean, I mean drives, you had a tackle.
Speaker 3: I was like I had one. He's like, all right, let's go out there like whatever.
Speaker 4: I mean, whatever the play is called. So I'm running not like I can. I'm not gonna complain about it.
Speaker 2: So that where do you feel like you're the best at.
Speaker 4: Though I probably say like righting, Uh, everybody pat.
Speaker 3: Asks me the same thing. It's just it depends on.
Speaker 4: The play car you know, obviously, if you're going against you know, the the premier pass questions of the league and you know, the tjs of the world.
Speaker 3: You know, I'd I'd rather be inside. But you know, if only again this can, I'd rather be outside. So it all depends on the play called. I don't really have.
Speaker 4: Any preference, like I said before, as long as it's on the field, it's cause it's fine with me. As long as it's on the team final with me. You know, I'm kind of had to adjust that throughout my college career. You know, some guys or right uh position limiteds P positions specific and you know, I don't wanna come out in the field, or you know, we might only have uh a backup guard that can only play guard, and you know, and say how the followers, you know you starting right guard. It's like, alright, no, i'm'a i'm'a pump out cause I'm like, I don't wanna. I don't wanna be out because you know, our our next best player availabley.
Speaker 3: Is a guard.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, you know, I just bump out the time of So I just look at it the same way.
Speaker 3: I mean and Maryland we would.
Speaker 4: Have to some center troubles or nobody else wanted to snap the ball or whatever.
Speaker 3: The case was. And I'm like think, like h Spence heard you can snap. I'm like, oh really, I'm like he where'd you hear that from?
Speaker 4: You know, obviously I was a little hessitant at first in college, but it needed to be done, and yeah, it was best for the team.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I was told, you know, first gear I had was against Penn State playing center, and uh, it was like, yeah, cause they had some guy they they're TAngelo or something like that was supposed to be like their their guy.
Speaker 3: We didn't wanna. We wanted to show up the inside. And I was just kind of like alright. They were like, yeah, we'll move you back to Targoo next week.
Speaker 4: And playing Michigan. I'm like, hey, I got to eight and hundred center in the job or the next thing, you know, it was like, man, it looks so good at singing.
Speaker 3: Might supna keep it there? I'm like, oh, so, you know.
Speaker 4: Like I said, you know, just getting out of myself and getting into the team. It's pretty much it. It's just having a good knowledge of the playbook, cause not everybody can do that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: You kind of when you learn the Playbok and you have the calls, they're like, alright, I know where to do.
Speaker 3: With my Tiger.
Speaker 4: I know, like I know some siffic calls here and there they're at tagh. But then you don't always know. I mean, even some guys on.
Speaker 3: The team now and it's like a play is called if they were to move some positions, like I asked something. I'm like, hey, so I let me play at card.
Speaker 4: They be like, bro, I couldn't couldn't tell you. So I got to know the whole time playbook like the back of my hand, and I just feel like it's more of a challenge.
Speaker 2: And I'm winning an Except they've had some guys here over the years who in the role, in that kind of role where they've been the backup all along and that for a.
Speaker 3: Couple of years, they end up.
Speaker 1: Kelvin Beacham started.
Speaker 2: That way, Chris Ubert started that way, Matt Finler started that way where they were the backup.
Speaker 3: So along next thing, you know, that's how that's how it is.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Somebody like, uh, during the right pre draft.
Speaker 4: Process, somebody had told me, you know, you remind me a lot of Kelvin Beacham. And you know, me being a football nerd who got one of these scouts is like, Paly.
Speaker 3: You know who it is.
Speaker 4: I'm like, of course, I know it's playing for the car because I'm like, because I'm just a football nerd.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of guys and uh yeah, and I'm you.
Speaker 4: Know, and I go look back at obviously I don't know that career trajectory, but I know of him, so you know, I look back and I'm like, oh wow, like this, but literally had the same.
Speaker 3: You know kind of profile, and it's like, you know.
Speaker 2: If I mean Beach was a seven dround pickers, but he was like a third to last pick in the draft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he's still playing. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So sometimes you just gotta uh, you know, ride the way before the for the storm calms. And like I said, it's just been light on my feet and doing whatever's asking me because at the end of the day, it's all football.
Speaker 2: The rarity about what you're doing, though it is usually a good guy. They can play he could play four spots, but he can't play left tackle, or should play four spots, he can't play center.
Speaker 1: You've done them all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, Dan was uh uh. Every time somebody says that, I just think it with Dan and told me he's.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, playing right tackle him it was like wiping his wiping the butt in his leven and I'm just thinking.
Speaker 3: Like, that's kind of how it is.
Speaker 4: And it's just like I said, everything's just flipping in your head and you just kind of gotta uh reverse everything. So I know the other day I had that falls start. It's because I'm sitting there, you know, in the huddle. I heard, you know, the cadence wasn't.
Speaker 3: On the first hunt. I'm like, okay, cool, But I get up to the line and obviously my mind explodes cause I'm.
Speaker 4: Like way way hiddle, Like you know, everything's different, cause you know it did all line. You have to be technically sound, and you know switching stances can alter you know, cause you're like everything's backwards to your mind, Like if you're on the right side, you know, punch my right hand then left, and.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you gotta switch it up. It's what I mean, it's the NFL. You can't do the same things over and over.
Speaker 4: Right, So obviously you know you're like, wait, how did I How do I change my setup on the opposite side? And then said hut and you're like, oh, oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: It's like, man, you didn't even you forgot I got.
Speaker 4: The whole candence. But you know I'm making any excuses. That's what comes with the job, and uh, you know that just gotta be better in most cases like that. Yeah, like I said, just be hot on my feet, ready to go, because at the end of the day, it's all football, no matter whole position you're at, it's all offensive line work.
Speaker 3: Obviously, who you're going against.
Speaker 4: Is different, you know, body type wise, but in the day, the objective is to move a guy at a spot or protect the quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Good stuff there from Steelers Really Spencer Anderson a good head on his shoulders and understand time exactly what's being asked of him.
Speaker 2: Gonna be a light on your feet. I mean, he doesn't no play to play snap the snap, you know, game the game where he's gonna line up. But he's been one of my favorite stories guys to talk about during camp for sure, and I didn't think it was a throwaway pick at the time, but I didn't expect him to be in, you know, in the mix, and he's in the mix.
Speaker 1: He's definitely in the mix. And keep an eye on him in Saturday's game, just to keep it as Matt and I have done here throughout training camp. Watch and see where he lines up at during the game and different from different from series to series. We're gonna get to a break here. He is Matt Williamson, I am Dale Lawlly. You're listening to the Drive here on Steelers Nation Radio and ESPN nine to seventy are live ongoing coverage from Steelers training camp here at Saint Fincent College. We'll be back with our number three right after this.
Speaker 2: Black and gold called Lives Here twenty four seven. You're listening to SNR