Speaker 1: Welcome back to Bullyball, presented by DraftKings. I am Rachel Nichols. I'm going to go a little out of order today because Isaiah Thomas is with us. Very happy to have you back, sir, but.
Speaker 2: We got to give our props to the one the only Beer Leopard champion.
Speaker 1: And legend, Bucky Cousins.
Speaker 2: His team swept in the finals, swept four and oh victory finals MVP, MVP.
Speaker 1: But he has the feel.
Speaker 3: It feels good, man, It feels good to win. It's hard to win anywhere. The job was done the correct way, so I'm satisfied.
Speaker 4: I'm happy.
Speaker 3: You know, I scratched that little urge to play basketball. Winning basketball. Team Ball had that camaraderie with a group, so I'm feeling good. My confidence is high, so you know I'm mad.
Speaker 4: I'm good, right.
Speaker 1: I want to know what, Yeah, seriously, I want to know what the first thing you want to do when you get home and the first thing you want to eat when you get home.
Speaker 3: Oh man, the first thing I'm doing for show is getting the haircut. Like I'm out here looking crazy, But you know that's part of the ground. I'm okay with that. I embraced that part. But you know, once I get back that hair appointment already booked.
Speaker 1: And then cleaned up.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then when am I going to eat, They're gonna get some junk food.
Speaker 4: I might do some shake shack with a milk shaker.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just like something simple, something simple, and yeah, I deserve it.
Speaker 4: I'm definitely gonna get me a nice burger for sure.
Speaker 1: It's like when they took the Michael Finley took the beer away from Luca the other day. I was just like, dude, he doesn't play for sick stays. Let the man have his beer. You should have all the shakeshack you want. That's all I have to say.
Speaker 3: Hey, my job is done. I like family's approach. Man, you know the job isn't done. He wants his guys locked in, So I'm not mad. That's a good og when you can see it from his perspective. He wants the best for the young fella. But you know, when the job is done, you can get you a beer. Bro it's gonna hit the same.
Speaker 7: I promise you get you a little more than that.
Speaker 4: He who could donk a job?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 4: Do your things?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, let's talk about the job that they still have to do. Celtics six and a half point favorites over the MAVs to open the series Game one in Boston on Thursday. Look, the stats are kind of crazy when you compare them. I will say the Celtics they've only played three games as underdogs all year, so they're not doing it in this series. The MAVs have played forty two games as under dougs this year, so they are used to being in this position.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 1: What's your sort of overall thought on the series.
Speaker 7: I think I think it will go five to six games. I got Boston winning it. I think they just got a little bit, a little bit more than Dallas has, and they also got the defenders to somewhat slow.
Speaker 5: Kyrie and Luca down.
Speaker 7: Like, even even if Kyrie and Luca have amazing games, amazing series, I just don't.
Speaker 5: Think they have enough for the Boston Celtics.
Speaker 7: Like they got, they got the experience, They've been there multiple times, they know what it takes to win. And then like, especially if Porzingis is healthy, I think they just got a little bit more than Dallas has, and they haven't wasted as much energy as Dallas has. Like Dallas has wasted a lot of energy this playoffs, you know, just trying to advance each round, and Boston's kind of been been chilling for the most Like they've had a couple tough games, but other than that, like they've been getting their rest, they've been chilling and you know, preparing for these moments. So I definitely I got Boston winning it. Hopefully it's a good series. Hopefully, you know, Dallas proves me wrong.
Speaker 3: I agree. I agree with everything he said. Like I said in previous episodes, Boston, they've been the title favorite all year long, like especially coming out of the East, I won't I guess you can't say we thought they were tired of favorites. I believe for the most part, everybody thought Denver would kind of be back in the same position. But you know, as far as coming out of the East, as far as how their years started off, how they played throughout the entire year, they've been dominant and they've been dominant throughout the playoffs. There the way this team was built was built perfectly. Dallas doesn't have a Drew Holliday, Dallas doesn't have a Derek White, and Dallas Dan for sure doesn't have A Presenters. So just those three guys along are gonna be a tough matchup for Dallas to you know, even come equal to. Obviously, we know what Kyrie and Luca do, but you know, hypothetically speaking, we can say they both average forty this series. Where are they getting the rest of that scoring punch front? And on top of that, when you look at Boston's two main guys and Jalen Brown and Jason Tatum, they just don't have the defensive intangibles to match up with that either. So I feel like everything is just leaning towards Boston. They had an incredible offseason. They did they did it correctly. I think they really really dug deep into putting the perfect pieces around their two main guys. You know, guys that are you know, ultra talented, can play both sides of the ball, have been at the old the misstage. You know, Derick White coming from a great organization like the Spurs, he knows how to play winning basketball. Drew Holliday being improving. I just think the Celtis did there. They did a plus homework this offseason and they put together a real title team. So I think Dallas had an incredible run but thing ends here, and I'm gonna be generous and I'm gonna say I think Dallas would get two games just because Kyrie and Luca are that special. But just that team alone with the Celtics is just not gonna be enough. I think Celtics coming out victorious in there. You know this year's.
Speaker 1: Champions Well, look, Brad Stevens one Executive of the Year this year and that was for all the additions that you just talked about. I mean, it was masterful what he did. And Nico Harrison also obviously on the other side to do what he did at the trade deadline to make all those pieces work, to give up the asset he gave up that a lot of us were like, how are you going to go forward if this doesn't work? You know, it kind of locked himself into this opportunity and it all paid off. And Jason Kidd gets a lot of credit, I think, and obviously all the players for buying in. But it is hard. It's interesting to me that you do have a big chunk of people picking the Mavericks when it feels like the matchups are so clearly in the celtics favor. And I think a lot of that is just the feeling of you know, hey, this team has let us. The Celtics team has led us down in the past, and you know, their value isn't really obvious to us until they won a title, you know, any of that stuff. If you took away their history and just looked at the two teams on paper, I think everyone would picked the Celtics, and in a way that history is actually an advantage for them. There are some interesting quotes coming out of Boston practice over the last couple of days. Jason Tatum said, obviously we've been there before, we came up short. It's a great opportunity to make it to the finals again. He said, you don't always get a second chance, so really just looking at it as a second chance and trying to simplify things as much as we can. And then Alan Horford frankly went a little further. He said, I think what happened a couple of years ago is going to help tremendously because the first time it felt like a roller coaster. He said, the increased media coverage, all the responsibilities, everything that came with it. He said, I think this time around, we all have an understanding. We know what things are like. I feel like we'll be able to manage everything better. So to me, that is a real indication that they are going to be a different team than they were a couple years ago when they played Golden State, and they bring up good points. I mean, it is always hectic and crazy. I tell guys before they play a super Bowl, before they play in NBA Finals, just get ready because your preparation for the game is going to get thrown off by the fact that the anthem is longer, that the introductions take longer that they you know, add more commercial time before you get started, the time before tip is different in an NBA finals, and even just that can really throw guys off. I don't know how big of an advantage do you think the experiences boog that the Celtics had just a couple of years ago versus the Mavericks, who I think Kyrie and maybe Keith are the only two guys who've been in finals before.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it helps tremendously. I think that's a huge factor in this series as well. This is a team that has been here before. They have and not only just being in the finals. They've had so much playoff experience. Just their two young guys came into the league experience in the playoffs right away. So this isn't like a soccer to them. This isn't you know, really something that's going to disrupt them emotionally. They've been here before. They're like there their season when it comes to this stage. And like I said, those key additions that they added, you can say the same about those guys as well. So this is a group that's that's proven that they can handle this stage. This is a group that's you know, got the miles, got the experience. You know, they've lost, they've won things of that nature. So they're built for this moment now. And when you talk about the Mavericks, well, obviously, yeah, we could say Kyrie, we could talk about Keith, but even Luca. When it comes to the euro basketball, like that's that's not an easy task. Let's like, let's not you know, try to water down what they have going on over there. That's some of the most hostile environments to play in. And you know he did that at a young age and was came out victorious with that as well. So that type of experience can definitely carry over and you can also say, that's why he came into the league so seasoned and so ready. He's experienced those top, top notch type of environments, so coming to the NBA was almost an easier transition for him. So you got three guys that have been there, but you know, three guys can win you a series. And it's a lot of youth. It's a lot of inexperience on that Maverick side when it comes to playing at this level of basketball. So I think that also plays a factor in this series.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I agree with you both, like that the experience is everything. Like those guys, the things that they're saying in the media as well, is like they'll be more calm this time around, Like it's going to be a lot for young guys like Lively that the younger guys that it's never been there before on the mass to get this type of coverage, like the whole world's watching, like you miss a layup, like they talking about you like that's that's just a little bit different. Like I always say, the Brider, the lights get like it's not for everybody, Like this stage isn't for everybody. So the Celtics got the edge on experience they got the edge. And I think players being in these situations, like Drew Holliday is a key, a key, a key player in this like he's I think he calms the Celtics down, like he's been there before, he's won one, like that's going to be the difference between winning and losing.
Speaker 5: But we can't put.
Speaker 7: Past Jason Kidd though as well, Like he's an amazing coach. He puts them in situations where he's been before, like he's won the title. As a player, he's.
Speaker 5: Been and you know, he's a Hall of Fame player.
Speaker 7: I think that's that calms Dallas down a lot as well, So we can't look past that. I just think Boston got a few more players that have been in these situations that it's not going to be a surprise to them.
Speaker 4: So, like the.
Speaker 7: Finals are big, and I think everybody's not built for that, and the Celtics have The Celtics have more players that are built.
Speaker 5: For this stage than the Maverige dude, So we'll see.
Speaker 8: Have you ever wondered if Chet Holmgren might be a descendant of Abraham Lincoln or the UFC fighter could beat an alien in a fight, Well, maybe you haven't, and that's okay, But Shay Serrano and Jason CONCEPSI own from six trophies.
Speaker 1: Well, they certainly have. If you're like me and you'd like to listen to as many good basketball podcasts as you can after you're done listening to Bullyball, you gotta listen to six trophies. Every week, Shay and Jason serve up the biggest moments from around the NBA with their patented nix of Joy Banter pop culture side quests. They also hand out six pop culture themed trophies for six basketball related activities, stuff like the Denzel Washington and Training Day Trophy that's given out to a player or team having the best week around the NBA, or the Lauren Hill You might win some, but you just lost one trophy for the team or player that just can't get it together, plus a bunch more trophies for all the good, bad, or just plain head scratching moments around the NBA. So follow Bullyball, but also follow six trophies on the Wondery app or wherever you get your podcasts, or you can listen ad free by joining Wondery plus. Yeah, I mean to me the Mavericks have to play not only their best basketball, but up a level from what we've seen so far, which is a tall ask because we've seen so much good stuff so far. And look, I mean it's funny as a you said, you know, hopefully Dallas proves me wrong. I think emotionally, a lot of people around the country are rooting for the Mavericks. I think that Boston sports teams always have a hard time getting fans outside of Boston, right the Patriots didn't have as many fans outside of New England. You know that Boston teams are rarely America's teams to speak, and Luca and Kyrie are just so engaging and you know, bring you in with them that I think there is a real sort of you know, emotional surge among basketball fans. We want the Mavericks to win, and they absolutely could win. I mean it's not like they can't. This isn't sort of where nobody can see it happening. But again, if you do without your heart and you just do the hard numbers and sort of where things are and even the stuff in the clutch, I mean, what we saw in that final series against Golden State was a lot of what we've just been talking about, that inexperience, the lights being so bright, you know, they really fell apart at the end of really important games, that kind of thing. This year, they are in the playoffs, the number one team in the clutch, number one. Now Dallas is number three. So they're both good teams in the clutch. But the fact that Boston doesn't have that as a weakness anymore, at least so far, I think makes a big difference too. I want to break down the specifics of the sort of points of strength of made what might make a difference in this game. So I'm going to give you a couple categories depth, defense, three point shooting, and the clutch. Tell me about depth. Who do you think has the edge in depth?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna roll with Boston far as depths.
Speaker 5: Mhm, I got that even, I got. I think they both there.
Speaker 7: There's somewhat even when it comes to death, they don't really go deep into their bench either, both teams, So I got I got that one either.
Speaker 1: All right, Defense, what do you think I tea.
Speaker 7: Oh, you gotta go with Boston that. I think that's the biggest thing though, Like their defense can somewhat slow those the two headed monsters down, Like they got enough defenders to somewhat slow those guys down.
Speaker 3: So I go with Boston, Boston by Landside, I.
Speaker 1: Mean just the individual defenders they have.
Speaker 3: I mean I think the individual yeah, yeah, there White, there's nothing to talk about, like.
Speaker 7: They got they got a big ass too, but but they got the chance to slow those two down.
Speaker 5: With how good they.
Speaker 3: Are, I'm confident with it. Drew Holiday on my team against any guard. Yeah, I'm not saying he's gonna stop off, but I know he's gonna get him the best defensive job they've like every experience, especially at this time of year.
Speaker 4: I'm confident with jew Holiday too.
Speaker 1: Well. Look, we saw in the series against Oklahoma City there are things you can do to sort of limit Kyrie's offense. Now, Kyrie did a great job of settling in and focusing on the other parts of his game and was an important part of that series win, but he didn't score a lot, and there are ways to do that, and they have the blueprint already. I expect to see a lot of Jalen Brown on Kyrie, which leaves everyone else available to throw at Luco, which I think is going to make a big difference too. But you know, MAVs have been playing great defense themselves, so they've got a chance to limit Boston Stars. It's just the individual defenders are so elite. On Boston. They've got two All NBA defenders and a third in Jalen Brown, who easily could have been All NBA. He was the first one left off the list. If you look at the points of votes and things like that, you know it's I'm with you, guys. I think it's it is what it is.
Speaker 5: And Rachel I got I got one more thing with that.
Speaker 7: It's like like Dallas got defenders, but their offense is not good like that, they're the Dallas defenders.
Speaker 5: Their offense doesn't bring enough right.
Speaker 7: Boston's defenders they still really get it on offense. They still can get you twenty to twenty five on any given night.
Speaker 5: So I think that's why they.
Speaker 7: Got their edge when it comes to that, Like they can slow you down, and they can also they can also they've been real good options on the offensive.
Speaker 4: End as well, and playmakers not.
Speaker 3: Only just yeah, seriously playmakers as well. Like they can make sure two number two, I mean the first they can make the one and two options jobs that much easier when it comes to helping them score and also giving them at opportunity.
Speaker 4: Jesus scored just with their ability to play.
Speaker 1: Make So you're right, Well, this gets into the next category, three point shooting. What do you think of Boston.
Speaker 4: I'm rolling with Boston all five.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think Dallas has some really good shooting, but Lively is a you know, he's a lot of threat when it comes to Boston kp at the center position. If he if they decide to go to that right or that route or even have an our Warford as your five, he's still bringing shooting to that lineup. So Dallas has a tough defensive assignment, very tough. Lively has a tough defensive sign So yes, it's gonna be tough for Dallas.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm gonna go with Boston. They shoot more. Their program to shoot threes all year long. They've been no matter, no matter if they're not making them at all, they're they're shooting a lot of them. Like they get the attempts up. I think they got more players, they shoot more. They definitely got the edge on the three point shooting. So I'll go with Boston as well.
Speaker 1: Well, look the way Jason Kidd has had these guys defensively scheme has been very different than what they will have to do against Boston because he's had them pack in the paint, right, and that let three point shooters shoot, and we're going to have the advantage. You can't do that against Boston. As you point out it right like most most attempted threes, but the more important stat most made threes in the NBA for this season. And obviously those guys are such a danger. Now, Luca's a danger when he you know, gets toward the hoop and then kicks it out. That's one of his favorite moves. And certainly you know he's got, i mean, just an uncanny passing ability. But I don't know. I think I think you got to go with Boston again. I'm with you, guys, who's the who's got the best player in this series? What do you think?
Speaker 5: I t.
Speaker 4: Dallas?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, they got two of the best ever, like they like obviously Jason Tatum and those guys are really good.
Speaker 5: Jaylen Brown is really good, but Luca and Kyrie are.
Speaker 4: Something we haven't seen.
Speaker 5: So I'm going I'm going with and I'm putting them to right.
Speaker 7: Like they got the best duo. Like, they don't just got the best players. I feel like they're the best duo. They just don't got the best team.
Speaker 1: Did you guys? Both you guys are both putting Kyrie ahead of Jason Tatum.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna go that far.
Speaker 5: I am, I am, I am. That's yeah, I'm gonna go with that. I'm a big Kyrie fan.
Speaker 7: I'm a huge, huge No, no, I know you are. I'm gonna just rock with that. I'm gonna pick they got the best. They got the best player and the best duo.
Speaker 4: I agree on the best that's hurt.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 4: I agree on the.
Speaker 3: Best player part when it comes to Luca Dontics. But as far as the duo, I'm an. I respect any duo that's playing both sides of the ball, like, so when it comes to that, for me, I'm gonna roll with you know, Tatum and Jaylen Brown. But obviously when it comes to scoring mm hm, I can roll with Kai and Luca, But scoring not gonna win you a championship like that, bro, Like, you're gonna have to be on both sides to get this job done.
Speaker 7: Bro Like, look at outscore he got. He got an outscore, luc outscore the Celtics.
Speaker 5: Though, No, he can't, he can't. That's why we got.
Speaker 4: The Yeah, it's just too much. It's too much.
Speaker 5: Definitely must see TV though, That's why.
Speaker 4: That's why it's gonna be.
Speaker 5: This is gonna be, this is gonna be fine for sure.
Speaker 1: I mean normally we say the team with the best player wins. I mean that is historically what happens in the NBA. I just think that Wall Dallas to me, clearly has the best player. Uh you know, if you look at the how deep you go in the rotation, maybe seven guys, you know, they've got five of best seven.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's the difference.
Speaker 1: Overwhelm them. Yeah, so I we'll see about that. Who has the coaching edge guys?
Speaker 4: Kid?
Speaker 7: Yeah, even though Missoula is really good, but he's been putting that position.
Speaker 5: I'm knocking.
Speaker 3: I just I like Kid with with with more experience. I think Missoula is going to continue to become better as a coach. But I mean, to his credit, he's early. He's still early in his career, bro Like, he still has his ups and downs to go through as a coach, So you know, I think Kid.
Speaker 4: Is more battle tested.
Speaker 3: He's been through the ups and downs, you know, seeing different types of series throughout his coaching career and even has a championship under his belt with the Lakers.
Speaker 1: So h as coach. Yeah, and by the way, obviously as a player with Dallas.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I just I think that that type of experience puts him over the hump when it comes to out coaching Missoula.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is a big question. Who do you trust most at the end of games player wise, team wise, team.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go first. I got if it's close the last three or four minutes, I'm going with Dallas. I'm going with Dallas.
Speaker 5: If it's close. If it's close.
Speaker 4: You know, that's funny.
Speaker 3: It's crazy because you know, we talked about a little bit before the show, but in my mind, I just knew the average would consider more of a clutch team, like and you said earlier that the Mavericks are third and Boston is first when it comes to clutch. So that's kind of crazy to though. But even with me knowing that stat I'm leaning with Dallas. Like I agree with if they allow these games to be close and you got a Kyrie and a Luka Doncic on the floor.
Speaker 4: It is scary. It is scary.
Speaker 3: So I'm not even a fan of you know, the statistics like that, but yeah, I'm for sure going with Dallas clutch time for sure.
Speaker 1: It is tough, all right. So what is the one specific thing that stands up about this matchup? I think you guys are going to say defense, But is there anything else beyond the defense that stands out to you guys?
Speaker 3: I'm a fan of the storylines, honestly, outside like outside of between the lines, just the storylines that are going into this series. You know, it's it's a former team for KP. It's a former team for Kyrie. It's really funny how now you know this fan trained for Kyrie is now moving full speed ahead again. And just a year ago, you know, he was America's most hated So I think this is an incredible redemption year for him. And you know, regardless of the results, if he wins or lose, I think, you know, he won a lot of people back over and I think, well, I mean it's gonna remain that way. I mean that Boston is a tough fan base, but regardless of went or lost for Kyrie, I think he deserves this moment. I'm glad he's back to this place of you know, receiving more love and hate because he's that you know, incredible of a player. He's that, he's that impactful for this league. He's inspired a lot of basketball players coming up underneath him. And you know, and if you're a basketball fan, it's hard to beat. It's if you're a basketball fan of general, it's hard not to be a fan of Kyrie, Like he is the epitome of basketball. Like, so, you know, I'm more so excited about the storylines as well. I think that's gonna make this series that much better.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean I te you know, that Boston crowd obviously, I think they're gonna boo every time Kyrie touches the ball. You know, he got someone throw a water bottle though at him one of the recent times he was there. Like, I mean, there's there's been some shady stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they ain't hold nothing back. They're not gonna hold nothing back. That's why I hope Kyrie does his thing. I hope he does because, like, like like Bug said, the storyline would be great, like if he if he does his thing in Boston after all this shit that they've been through together, like that would be amazing. I'm pulling for Kyrie. I'm a big Kyrie man.
Speaker 5: I'm pulling for him for sure, but I don't know if there will be Now.
Speaker 1: Look is here, Jamal dropping in?
Speaker 4: Take it over.
Speaker 6: I'm with three legends, three real legends, three real legends.
Speaker 1: What's book. I'm feeling crowded out by the Washington State vibes here. I don't know. We'll see.
Speaker 4: I was almost out there with them boys.
Speaker 3: I almost had my little you know, my little staff in Washington. I was considering the Husky's almost made it, almost made because.
Speaker 4: Almost came out.
Speaker 1: Wait, I tea your Tacoma? Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm coma And what about you, Jamal.
Speaker 6: I'm Seattle anywhere. I up all over the place in Seattle. Yeah, I've been in Tacoma too. I've been in the fish House and everything. I teased open the doors Tacoma as well.
Speaker 5: I'm a Seattle native as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so there's no be fair. I didn't know what.
Speaker 5: Washington I've lived there. I've lived there as well, Jamal.
Speaker 1: We were just talking about sort of overall, what stands out to you about this NBA Finals matchup? What do you got?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 6: Honestly, I wasn't sure Dallas was gonna get here at the beginning of the season. Like I knew Luca and Kai would would do their thing, and I knew they would have a better flow because I thought last year was almost your turn, my turn, they would have a better flow and how they play. We all thought Boston would be here. But it's intriguing because Dallas took out three of the top four teams in the Western Conference. So you know, I think they're peaking at the right time. And it kind of reminds me that that that dirt led team that won the championship, Like how they're they're just peaking at the right time and kind of went under radar and now they got that magic with them.
Speaker 1: So who would you pick here in this series?
Speaker 4: See, there you go, Rachel being greater with you.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say my head says Boston, my heart says Dallas. So I'm just gonna go with my heart on this one. I think Dallas is the more together game. I think I think Boston has some of that like Mike Tyson, like early when he was fighting, he'll knock you out the first rounds. I think Boston is that if they're up fifteen the balls hoping everybody's touching the rock, they're playing at their best. But when they get in tight games, I think that's when their trust sometimes comes into the pitcher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we were just talking about that, like head and heart. I think, you know, I was saying that any Boston team doesn't really get a ton of pickup from fans around the country. I don't know what it is. I think it's the same with New York teams, Like you know, they're not America's teams in that same way. So I think around the rest of the country outside of New England, there are a lot of people who would like to see this Dallas team win. And the storylines we were talking about when you first came on, I mean, they want Kyrie to sort of come full circle here. Luca is so engaging, and the idea that he could sort of finally get the title that we've been talking about since the day he got into the league, that kind of thing. And then you look at just the numbers and you look at you know, how these teams have done. If you took both of the names off of it, the Celtics, the individual players they've got, the team numbers that they've put together, it's sort of hard to argue with any of that. I don't I don't know what would have to happen for the Mavericks to win. We haven't really talked about that. Guys like, if the Mavericks we're going to pull this off, what has to happen on the court? When do you got bug?
Speaker 4: Man? It's gonna it's for me.
Speaker 3: It's going to take a guy like PJ. Washington having an incredible series. I'm saying maybe averaging twenty twenty two a game to match whatever production you're getting from Akyrie and a Luca on top of that, I think I think Lively, I think Lively gets set. I think we see a lot of Kleeber Maxi Kleeber. If I don't have his name messed up, yeah, Cleber MAXI Kleeber. Obviously he's a better perimeter defender when it comes to being a big and I think that's more of what they'll need when it comes to, you know, the five out type offense Boston runs. They have five guys that can spread the floor consistently on the floor. So and it's gonna take an incredible performance from Cleveland on the defensive end and also adding some offense as well. So it's gonna take I think it's gonna take a spectacular series from some of the role guys on the Mavericks outside of you know, Kyrie and Luca doing what they do on a nightly. So yeah, it's gonna take a lot. It's gonna take a lot.
Speaker 1: Do you feel the same way or do you think there's other stuff that they could use to overcome Boston.
Speaker 7: I mean, the layers just gotta play like they gotta give something. Like we said earlier, even if Luka and Kyrie play exceptional, they areage forty each, like those other guys got to bring something and that's a big what if. Like they've never been in this situation. The lights never been this bright in their career. They've never I don't think to a point to where they have to they have to give a lot, like they gotta get every game.
Speaker 5: They gotta give their best.
Speaker 7: They gotta play their best I think for them to come out on top, Like Boston just has more players that play well in these moments than Dallas that we've seen from Dallas, Like, we don't know. Those guys might show up and play well each and every game, but that's just I think that's out of their character to be able to play that as well as they need to play every game in the NBA Finals, Like that's hard to do. That's gonna be hard. Not saying they can't. They got a chance. They got there for a reason. Dallas is a really good team, a well coached team. But it's just like you gotta play perfect every game for them for them to have a chance. But if the game is close, if these games are close, I got Dallas winning these games. If they're close, for sure, it's a big good.
Speaker 1: So Jamal, what's the argument for you picking Dallas?
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, they have to keep the games closer.
Speaker 6: The games are closer, that's when Kyrie and Luc are really shye and by then being that aggressive, it relaxes everybody else when your start as those two know, when your superstar players are that good, everybody else can be who they are and starting their role. And I also think somehow someway J Kidd has to put himself in the game, and what I mean by that is his coaching knowledge, his experience, uh, you know, seeing the game from a different way. He has to somehow put himself in the game and put his fingerprints all over it, where he kind of balances the talent they may not have by putting himself in and out coaching Misoulla, if possible.
Speaker 1: Put himself in the game like Spilsota on the court. Are we talking about that?
Speaker 4: I love it, right, That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying. I mean, look, you guys have been talking a little bit about the return of Porzingis and what that would mean. I think it's a great point bug that people are kind of forgetting that Dallas is getting back someone too. I know that Maxi played a little bit in spots toward the end of the Western Conference Finals, but that was clearly just to get him back in the rhythm of things, and I think we'll see him more in this series. So I guess whose impact do you guys think is greater of these returning players, KP or Maxi? And how would it impact this series?
Speaker 4: But KP for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean we're talking about a consistent twenty a game. Also, rim protection also somewhat versatility as far as you know, playing out on the floor a mismatch problem for anybody because most bigs, he can just turn around and shoot over the top of them. Any switches created where it's a guard on him, he's doing the same thing to him.
Speaker 4: KP for sure, and it's not close.
Speaker 3: I do like Cleeberd defensively more as a big on the perimeter, but you know, outside of that, his offense is very limited, and I just feel like when it comes to KP, he's the consistency is always there as.
Speaker 4: Far as production.
Speaker 1: I mean, the only thing I wonder about is, you know, he hasn't played in so long, it you've come back from injuries sort of how much does that affect you that all of a sudden you're being thrown into an NBA Finals.
Speaker 5: I mean that I think that's gonna play a big part.
Speaker 7: I think his job is just easier though, Like he's catching shoot, he's doing things that like he can kind of do in his sleep. But like being thrown in the NBA Finals, like I mean, I haven't been there, bugs been there that that that's a different month to no matter who you are, especially coming back from injury. The lights are so bright that you know if you don't make a couple of shots that that is magnified. And you know he has to make shots to have an impact. I think he has to make plays to have an immediate impact.
Speaker 5: So it's gonna be tough to be plays.
Speaker 7: But I think his teammates around him are good enough to make things so much easier for him to be able to catch and shoot, to be able to get wide open shots. Like, it's not like he has to be the main guy. I think if you have to be the main guy in this situation coming back, that's ten times harder. He really has to space the floor, knock down open shots, attack closeouts. I think that's a lot easier than just being a Jackson Tatum or a Dalen Brown who has to do so much coming back from injury.
Speaker 5: If that makes sense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, coming back from injury, especially like that rhythm things you normally do, it normally works a certain way. When it doesn't work, especially with the stage being this big, how do you adjust?
Speaker 4: Do you get in your own way? Do you not find it?
Speaker 6: Like those things all play apartmar Rach, I was just looking at those who I'm thinking I'm like, we're talking about skill and balance of power. What if we put these two Sacramento king stars when they were together on Dallas right now? Does that balance? Does that power? If they Dallas right now they're Sacramento versions since they were together, is that balance?
Speaker 4: Is power playing Boston right now?
Speaker 7: Yeah, dude, you're always doing something like that. He's right now, like he always he always got some flight.
Speaker 1: He's right.
Speaker 5: Please.
Speaker 1: This is why everyone says he's the breakout media star of you know, this year's playoffs. Although you know we Jamal, I just want to say we already knew. So I love all these Johnny come lately to you, and I love the shine you're getting. It's one hundred percent deserve. But just remember who knew he.
Speaker 6: Says something to me? You said something to when I was still playing. You were like, you know what I'm coming to get you and tell you right now. When I was thinking me I the front office, I was thinking I need to be in the front office to have dudes like this in the league. That as we should have them superstars, great vets. These youngsters need these two in the league. They can get so much knowledge. It could be the foundation for their career. If I was, if I was commissioned for a day, I would make it mandatory where you have to have teams experience three guys on each team. I think that would make the league better. I think it would help set the tone. You have to have guys like this in the league. You have to have to have to have.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the rule changes about who you know, how the balance of the roster works out that cut these vets out. Anyway, I think it was the twenty sixteen CBA if I'm remembering right, But it totally changed the makeup of the rosters, and I think it sucks. Like I think that's just such a valuable experience and it would change how these guys play.
Speaker 4: It absolutely would. I mean think about that.
Speaker 6: I was saying that about it, Like what guard in the league that's younger would not want to learn from him?
Speaker 4: What big would not want to learn from Blokie cut? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 6: Like, all, now they've seen it all, they conquered the top of the world with their own game, and they're willing to give all this back to you, Like that's a no brainer.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think you have seen it all, all of it. I think.
Speaker 4: I just wish everybody was as smart as you in the NBA.
Speaker 6: Man, That's why I'm talking about it.
Speaker 5: That's why he's taking That's that's why Maul's taking it over.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's why he's taking it over. He's saying what he's saying what we want to say, but he's saying it the right way.
Speaker 5: I agree with that.
Speaker 4: I agree with that.
Speaker 1: As as I said, we knew first Jamal when you were still playing. I was like, you are one hundred percent going to be media superstar, and I love that you're getting from everyone else. Seriously, I love that people are recognizing how good you are. And did you like calling games? Was that something you like more than the studio stuff?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Like I love both of them, and I think for me it Rachel, you honestly you said that. You literally said that now is at this point probably eight years ago. But for me, I just want to be like, I'm not on a hot take stuff. I'm like, I want to be true to the game, so I gotta speak the truth, you know what I mean. I think that's important because there's a whole generation that's underneath us, that's looking like.
Speaker 4: There was a kid that came to me yesterday in the gym.
Speaker 6: He's seventeen years old and he was like, man, you calling the games makes it exciting.
Speaker 4: I'm like, that's crazy to even know that.
Speaker 6: Now the young generation is watching because they feel like they're represented, they feel like our coaches represent it. They feel like it's really stuff that we would say and do. And I love that part and I love calling the games. I want to be like now, honestly, now that I'm in the space, I want to be as good as I possibly can in every way, shape and form.
Speaker 4: So I'm studying.
Speaker 6: I'm always going to be me, but I want to be better at I want to learn more. I want to continue to figure out what The playoffs was a blast because I'm up there with two legends as well, with Kevin and Reggie, you know what I mean. So to be on that stage and still be able to talk about sea walking and still talk about the proposal.
Speaker 4: I got Reggie up.
Speaker 6: They're using NAS references now, like, it's just dope to be in that space.
Speaker 5: It's amazing.
Speaker 7: Look, I gotta give you your flowers mark, because you know how our relationship is like to see you doing your thing with the with the commentator and the analyst stuff like like to talk the game. How you do it is just amazing. You bringing back the good energy that we need. Obviously Rachel has been doing it forever and she's been at the top of the game.
Speaker 5: So we we we gotta give both of y'all. Y'all flowers.
Speaker 7: Y'all bring y'all bring a different type of energy to the culture. Like everybody can relate to how you guys talk about the.
Speaker 5: Game and that ship just that's just amazing.
Speaker 7: So I gotta I gotta give you guys, Jamal and Rachel, you guys as flowers because that we appreciate it.
Speaker 5: All y'all put a smile in the face.
Speaker 7: When when we listen to basketball and you guys are talking about it. And that's just not just saying that because you guys are right here, but I mean, I'm saying that when you guys aren't, when you guys aren't, Like I like listening to Rachel. I like listening to Jamal when it comes to talk in basketball, for.
Speaker 4: Sure, and we love listening to y'all for sure.
Speaker 1: That's right, That is right. And look, Jamal, I love That's one of the things I love about T and T. It's not built on hot takes, right, it's they want to get their pop and charisma from the guy's energy and sort of as opposed to let's argue something. You know, you got to take this side, you got to take that side. So I think it's a perfect I think it's a perfect place for you. And I'm just so psyched you're there and the all cast was great and I'm sure you're going to do some version of that again for the finals or something. But it's I'm very I'm very happy to get more and more Jamal Crawford on my television.
Speaker 4: I do before.
Speaker 6: You literally saw it when I wasn't even thinking media. So I appreciate it. And you're a legend, so like I said and said, so, I appreciate that for real, for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know talent, man, I got two of them right here.
Speaker 3: You got to put a lot of us in the game, right for sure. A story in itself, I'm producing that I'm here. Yeah, we're doing a serious doctor movie, which one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a pretty good list of guys I put on TV first who have gone onto big things. So that feels good to me. Actually, I like that part, So thanks for recognizing. I want to get you guys in a DraftKings frame of mind because we've got to advise the betters here. There's a ton of prop bets floating around on the NBA Finals. Some of them are really fun. So we have a segment Jamal here that's called I'll take that bet, and you kind of got to pick some of the bets you think you would take or stay away from. But he has a pretty good track record so far, so we'll see how things go from here. Tatum's rebounding. The prop bet is at plus one hundred. Will Tatum average ten or more rebounds in this series? But you start us off, yes, yes, what do you guys think?
Speaker 5: I got?
Speaker 7: Yes too, He rebounds and they shoot a lot of threes. I got Okay, I'm gonna go no. Actually, I'm gonna go right under team. I'm going like nine point five.
Speaker 4: Because he's.
Speaker 6: Doing everything else and he's doing whatever he takes to win. You got to get him as props. But I just say I'm gonna they both say yes. I'm gonna just say no because I feel like he's right underneath to you, I think he's like nine point eight, nine point five.
Speaker 1: Well, look, it wouldn't be a plus bet if Vegas didn't agree with you, right, So they think they think that too. I do these like parlay picks for DraftKings in the middle of the week every week, and there was something where I pictatum rebounds and the whole game made me so nervous because I was just like, he's not going to get there. He's not going to get there. He's not going to get there. And I think he got there by the skin of his teeth. But it is I mean, look, they know what the odds are. They set the outs for reason ten is right around the I don't know Mark, So we'll see, all right, all right, I want to ask you, guys, will Kyrie average twenty five or more in this series? There's another plus bet one thirty plus one thirty.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say no. And the reason is he averaged fifteen. He averaged fifteen against okay.
Speaker 4: See, so yep.
Speaker 3: And when we look at Boston defenders are the main guys we feel that are be on them and Derek White and Drew Holiday. I said earlier in the show, if I'm going to war with Drew Holiday as a defender. I like my chances. Do I think Kyrie will be shut down completely? No, but he's gonna have a very, very very difficult series.
Speaker 1: What do you guys think.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go with Yes, I'm gonna go yeah, going back to Boston, he got good energy, He's I'm going with yes, Kyrie's gonna.
Speaker 5: Average twenty five.
Speaker 4: He's definitely gonna average twenty five.
Speaker 6: He saved Sage and he's playing shady on the way that he's twenty five.
Speaker 4: At that play, there's no way around.
Speaker 5: So I was saying, he's got.
Speaker 6: Average twenty five, and I think he knows that, and I would take this step further, Rach, I think if Dallas wins this series, I think this championship can mean more to Kyrie than the one he got in Cleveland.
Speaker 4: Hundred.
Speaker 5: I think so too, for sure, I think so too.
Speaker 1: I think it's a great observation. Though I hadn't heard game. We're talking about that, and I think you're absolutely right, right, just after everything he's done and seen and been through and everything.
Speaker 6: And been through, this is like the redemption. Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And you're right, Isaiah, Like I've spent a lot of time with Kyrie through these playoffs and really through this year. We had a big sit down interview earlier in the season, and his his mindset is just so much more zen. And I don't think any of the stuff the Boston fans throw at him, hopefully not literally like the water bottle, but in general, are going to affect him. I do. I do wonder if them booing Kyrie is going to fire up Luca, because we saw Luca in that game five, right. I mean he likes he's got Reggie in him, he likes the crowd with that stuff.
Speaker 7: He got out a peace of mind right now, nothing's really affected him, and that that when you're at that stage like anything happened, anything.
Speaker 6: Happened, everything is aligned with him, like his mind, body.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he seems like he's.
Speaker 6: In the best shape I've seen him. Man, he's picking up full Cory sprinting yep, and I'm taking step further as world caught. I think right now, what Kyrie's done, I think he's combined his game with some Steph Curry's game, Like the way he's running around on screens, moving out the ball, like he's combined the two, right, now like he's he's in a sweet spot right now, like he's in a he's on a magic Carperry right now.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 1: No, his health is he that's a huge factor. I mean he's missed a ton of games the last six or seven years, including chunks of playoff games, and the fact that he's got his body in shape, and obviously some of it's luck, but I also think it's a lot of how you prepare and treat your body throughout the season, and he's been on point with all of that. I do want to ask you, Jamal, just because you were doing that game live, that game five at the Western Conference Finals, when you saw Luca chirpin at the crowd the way he was, what came to mind for you.
Speaker 6: Lucas a gangster and I mean that.
Speaker 4: Where he came from Vega like that.
Speaker 6: And these guys tell you, because like I said, they were this. We know in the league there's some there's some brill like dogs, and there's some dogs that are dogs when it's like okay, they.
Speaker 4: Kind of puppies a little bit, that ain't really dogs like that.
Speaker 6: Luca is a real dog, like he's going to hit it the bigger, the moment, the bigger the play, the better Luca is and even some grace don't do that.
Speaker 4: So he's he's different.
Speaker 6: Right, Like he's really really and he's playing like he got headphones on.
Speaker 4: You can't speed him up. He's just out here doing his thing.
Speaker 1: Well, he's own pace.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing about it.
Speaker 6: It's his pace, but his pace can make you go his pace, and then he just dissecting me like he's something different.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: All Right, So I want to give you Finals MVP addscas. Luca's right up there. Jason Tatum is the favorite minus one fifteen. You got to put a lot of money down to make any money on Jason Tatum. Luca though, is plus two o five Jylen Brown plus six fifty, Kyrie plus two thousand, two hundred. So if you had to, if we gave you guys each one hundred dollars, where are you putting your money on? Finals MVP?
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go with Luca just because I think that was gonna win, and I think he's gonna like Kyrie made. Kyrie may even average more points, like say Kyrie averages you know, whatever he averages, Luca could be close to that. But I think Luka will have the assist and the rebounds as well. So I think Luca is the MVP. If they if DA.
Speaker 4: Was win, is it?
Speaker 1: What do you guys say?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: What person?
Speaker 4: By your time?
Speaker 6: I saw it going on.
Speaker 4: I know I know where I'm gonna. I know who I'm going Brown. I'm going with Jaimi Brown Man. I think.
Speaker 3: I think this is also something that's kind of floated under the radars, like he's proven, you know, he deserves that. He took a lot of heat for the contract. Don't really know why. I mean, he's one of those guys in the league, but you know he's taking a lot of criticism as being and you know, the so called Robin or back up to Tatum and in actuality, they are one A, one B in my opinion. So and I'm not really the guy that's trying to push the you know, who's the star of the team narrative, But I think Jalen Brown is a star in his own right and he's just not really getting the credit for it. So I think this series he shows he's really really that and I think he surprises us and gets you know, MVP.
Speaker 1: I was thrilled he won the Eastern Conference Finals MVP. I just thought that was like great recognition for all that he does, and he's improved this year. I give him so much credit because some guys get that contract right and they kind of lean off playing a little bit. They don't work quite as hard, and he it seems like he's worked even harder, like maybe he's trying to prove he's worth it. I don't know, or maybe that's just the way he's made like he is. He has super impressed me, and I thought it's funny. It was really close. I think it was like six to five in the Eastern Conference Finals MVP voting, and and to me, I think it should have been more lopsided in Jalen's favor because between that shot he hit and then just sort of how he played the rest of the series. I was big on it, all right. I t it's your turn. You got to you gotta come up with it. Who you got, Who's your m VP? Who you put your money on?
Speaker 7: Since I got this Celtics winning, I'm gonna go with Derek White.
Speaker 5: That is, he isn't even board, No, I'm just playing. I I got Jalen Brown.
Speaker 1: You gotta go to a bookie for Derek wad Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: You know something we don't man, Yeah, like I got the script.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, it's like the NFL of the season, right, I got, I got the Celtics winning.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with Jayalen Brown.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll see, we'll see. I like Jamal that you're standing on business with the Dallas pick though, because.
Speaker 6: I gotta do what I gotta do, right, I gotta do it rich. Can I ask them one question? Because oh, it's in my mind. I see when you see Jalen Breston, do you see some of yourself and book when you see Joker, do you see some of yourself.
Speaker 7: With because I get that a lot with the Brunton, like I get I do see a little bit of myself in there.
Speaker 5: In his games left handed, he.
Speaker 7: Got real hoop game, like he could tell he really works on his game. And the biggest thing I I I got that compares us. I think his belief in hisself, like his belief he believes he's one of the best. He believes he's the best guard in the NBA when he steps on the floor. So I think I see a lot of similarities in our game, but we go about it a little bit differently, if that makes sense. But like his belief in his confidence. I say, that's the biggest similarity I see in between our games is like he believes he's he's.
Speaker 5: That dude for show. Like nothing that he done.
Speaker 7: Have surprised himself and not one thing that that that that that's like how I carried myself for sure.
Speaker 6: And Bog I saw you sit back. You did, only you didn't only answer, you sat.
Speaker 4: Back like.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I wasn't expecting that you came.
Speaker 4: I did, I did I do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you came out of left field down But to answer your question, I do. It's definitely a lot of similarities. The biggest one for me is, you know, playing without the athleticism. You know, that's you know, since I've been young, and that was always the run and you know, joke with me when it came to me being around my peers and and things like that was you know, but you ain't got no hops, which was cool.
Speaker 5: I figured that out.
Speaker 3: And you know, uh, for me, when it became you know, trying to be the best version of myself, I feel like a lot of things. One thing that young hoopers overlooked when it comes to you know, just becoming the best version of yourself as a Hooper is you got to embrace what your weaknesses are and you gotta be okay with those. And the reason I say that is is because if you don't embrace those weaknesses, you'll never be able to find other strengths. Obviously, you have your strengths as a hooper, you know what you're really good at. But I knew I wasn't athletic, and I knew at a certain point it was gonna catch up to me. It was gonna it was gonna be a moment where you know, I was gonna have to rely on something else. And if I didn't work on those things early, I think I wouldn't have never been able to get past those tests. So I think that's something that you know, Jokic has mastered it at an early early age. I think he's a way better pass or dudes passing skills or like fucking he might be better than most point guards that's played this game, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I think it's he's the best passing we've ever.
Speaker 5: Seen all time.
Speaker 3: I think that I think he's in the category of his own when it comes to that. But you know, it's a lot of similarities. I think I think he's a better shooter at this point in his career than I was. It wasn't and and I say it was more so the timing of the air.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thre like that.
Speaker 6: Biggs, Yeah, Biggs weren't really being embraced to shoot the ball as much.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It was a few guys like Dirk and you know, guys like that, you know, be embraced on that part. But for the most part, they wanted you under that basket. So I think that part of his game really you know, outshine man. But I think the biggest thing is it is uh, you know, the lack of athleticism and then being able to just you know, back that day having IQ game.
Speaker 7: Look, we said it a couple of shows ago.
Speaker 5: I said it like these big.
Speaker 7: Now Joker and be like they had to watch, but yes, I watch Boogie coming up like they had, Like their games are so similar in terms of being able to do everything as a big Like they definitely watched tape Bug like he's I'm not gonna say he started it, but they was looking at home wherever they was, like it happened to be like, like, I got it, you had to.
Speaker 4: I made a joke.
Speaker 6: And the reason I asked that I see similarities to both players. I just asked you all about but I made a joke. I said, mayn y'all sleeping Bookie is is yo alter ego. That's take a deep, deep that what I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: Come out of the phone booth. There you go. I love when you say that about the athleticism, because I don't know if you guys watch hockey at all, but they're always like, oh, he can't skate, And I'm always like, well, he can because he plays in the NHL. But I get it. He's not a natural skater. Boggie, you were athletic. You played in the NBA for many many years, So I get the difference. I get the distinction you're talking about. But you know, let's let's let's be real. You know what you're talking about about making that adjustment. You know, when I was starting out in TV, I was kind of trying to be what I saw on TV. There just weren't a lot of women who look like me on television. They were all blonde, they were all tall, they were sort of spokesmodly, and they didn't. You know, I'm much more of a Okay, let's talk about it in person as opposed to I am presenting you with gloss and glemmor. And I was trying to be the other kind because I didn't know any better, and that's what I saw. And Stuart Scott pulled me aside, actually, and he just said, look, he's like, I tried it too. I tried being like the anchor person that they wanted, and I was only seventy percent because that's not me. And he said, then I just became myself and I could be one hundred per And you know, they're doing a thirty for thirty documentary around him.
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 1: I hope they're honest with themselves that a lot of people at ESPN and the higher ups did not like him being one hundred percent himself until the public it just got so overwhelming they had to go with it. But I love what you said, Bogue about you and Jokic just you got to be you. Everyone else has taken so I don't know. I just I think that I think that shit's really important. I want all of you guys out there to watch out for we are doing a live version of the Truth Lounge Sunday, June ninth. That's this coming Sunday, pre game before Game two at Big Night Live in Boston. Paul is going to be I mean, you know, Paul is gonna be on one right.
Speaker 4: Because he's gonna be on right. He's gonna be all too.
Speaker 1: He doing with the Celtics back. So so everything that you expect from Paul Pierce, turn that up to eleven. I'll be there. We're gonna have some special guests. It's gonna be a lot of fun. So you can come live if you're in Boston, or you can watch it live on YouTube. So I'm very excited about that. And then you can catch all the episodes of Bullyball on the DraftKings Network. You can catch us on the All the Smoke Productions YouTube channel. You can listen to us wherever you get your podcast. We will catch you next week.
Speaker 4: Thank y'all, thanks for having me off