Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome back to It could happen here. I'm Robert Evans, and this is a podcast about things falling apart and nowhere. I don't know showcases collapse quite as well as the US Mexico border. And that's my little introduction. Now I'm going to pivot over to James Stout. James, what are we talking about today?
Speaker 2: Well, today we are talking about the US Mexico border, is specifically in the Great State of Texas, which people might remember from its winter power grid failures. It's upcoming summer power grid failures. And Greg Abbott's sort of hilarious and also very cruel and terrible antics on the border. And we're joined today by one guest. Who are two guests we've had before to talk about the border on the podcast. We've got Gen Budd, a former senior Border Patrol agent, an author, and an activist. And Marianna Travina Wright, who people remember as the Butterfly Lady, the previous owner of an M four assault rifle, the lady who made the cop walk off a butterfly sanctuary, once an hero occasionally of Twitter dot com. How are you guys.
Speaker 3: We're good, We're good.
Speaker 4: Good to see you guys.
Speaker 1: It's nice to hear because we are this is normally the time of year where Texas is rough climactically, in this particular year, it's it's downright apocalyptic down there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just don't go outside. You're likely to vaporized spontaneously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks bad. Yeah. And so what I've gathered us here today to discuss is the upcoming implementation of a a floating border wall, a barrier which is going to make children drown. I don't really know how to describe it. Press one, if you could sort of describe this proposed Greg Abbott's talking about it, but it's it's clearly like a not just a state thing. So perhaps we could start out by explaining exactly what he's been talking about what this design looks like.
Speaker 5: So the floating border wall, I confess in the beginning I was kind of like, I don't get it because I'm thinking of a wall, you know, going extending upwards. But essentially what it is are these giant booyes plastic booies that are very tightly woven together so that you can't go in between them. And then the booies also spin, so if you grab onto them, you're going to just spin down. And then underneath the booys is four feet of netting, so if you try and swim underneath it, you will be captured in the netting and then you will likely drowned. It's originally I think the original design for the makers was to prevent groups like Green Peace and so forth from getting to oil what do you call them, oil stands out in the middle of the ocean and keep their boats from getting to them. So now they're going to use them and string them because the border technically most Americans, I don't think. No, there's the border technically along a lot of parts of the Rio Grande and Texas is in the middle of the river, depending on where the river's flowing that year, and so they will have to also be weighted down as well. And the hope for the governor is that most of the people will drown trying to get over to the US side, which means their bodies will remain in Mexico and then we won't have to deal with them easypasy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a particularly dark consideration. They haven't thought of. Our border is already. If people aren't familiar with di colonial atlets. They have some good visualizations, but you can see where migrants die and they have one I think it's called where Migrants Die, and there are various sort of colors for different people dying from exposure, people dig, dehydration, drowning, and overwhelmingly people don't die on the way here. They die within a few miles of our southern border, normally on the northern side.
Speaker 3: Our border is.
Speaker 2: Already and Jen has covered this extensively, how our border is already killing people, But this is I think particularly cruel. Is it something that like Abbott started talking about it maybe a month or so ago, maybe two months ago. Now? Is it something that he's doing sort of of his own, like they Arizona sort of contain a wall, or is it something that he's proposing as a sort of federal operation. What's going on with I.
Speaker 5: Think he originally probably got the idea because in the Trump administration they had promoted this, and so I believe that the former chief under Trump, Rodney Scott, was probably they were probably researching him and CBP were researching how to do this, because it would take a few at least quite a few months, if not years to research this and make something like this happen. But I think that they abandoned that because they knew that that's just not going to fly federally. But although why wouldn't it. I mean, all deterrence policies are based on this kind of cruelty, So I guess visually they thought it would be too much. But since since Rodney Scott is no longer the chief of the Border Patrol and he resigned, he's been working with the State of Texas and specifically with Governor Greg Abbot to develop new policies and so forth. And he's been down there helping the union and helping other ex Border Patrol agents come up with new policies and new.
Speaker 3: Cruelties for Greg Abbott to install.
Speaker 5: So I think originally the idea was a federal idea, and now it's come down to the State of Texas.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I guess what how far along is the State of Texas in? Like I know, before Trump built his border war, we had these little thirty foot prototypes in San Diego. He gave a lot of contracts people who'd given him a lot of money in his election campaign. Uh was Wheatland Tube I think is a big one and mixed deal. But how far is the State of Texas along in its plan to create a floating murder barrier.
Speaker 4: The booy barrier border barrier is already created and it's available in various links. And I should add in addition to the booys in between the booys are spinning radial blades. So you yeah, it just I mean, every aspect of this I can I miss. That is a bloody nightmare.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I went to the manufacturer site and it addresses this too, So you can't even get to like the middle of the buoy with uh you know something and cut the string of booiz because they are these radial razor blades too. So the state will be deploying it in thousand foot strips. And Jin and I did a little podcast on this, I don't know a couple of months ago when we first saw these signs appearing on the river and they were super strange. It was Memorial Day weekend, I believe, and they were numbered and they said like RGV for Rio Grand Valley RGV one ninety one, one ninety three. We thought, are these mile markers like we have on the freeway, But they weren't at any particular distance, and they were put at various spots that appeared as though they could be areas where migrants crossed. They can also be the paths where the cows and the horses come down to drink. Jen's been on the river with us. She's observed that at various platforms on the river where water pump stations are for farmers and irrigation districts and such. So we saw these signs. The RGV one ninety one is facing the river facing Mexico. The backside of it is a caution danger risk of drowning sign in English and in Spanish, but it is facing the United States, on the bank of the Rio Grande River in the United States, so it's in no way a caution to anyone who might be approaching the river. And we thought, why are they suddenly putting up these signs, because you know, forever people have been crossing the river, and Border patrol is on the boats there, Texas DPS, the Coast Guard, the US Coast Guard now Game Wardens now Florida Highway Patrol and Florida Fishing Game and all these. I mean, it is everybody's floating the river now, not for recreation, but hunting migrants, and so then we thought, well, maybe these are so that when these out of state interlopers and at times even the militia who show up to help them, could easily communicate with the authorities, say I'm at marker number one ninety one or whatever. Then it was just a few days after that that the announcement of this floating border buoy barrier came up. And my guess is the markers will be used to determine where those are deployed, where they get moved, and that sort of thing, so that then they can be accounted for.
Speaker 2: Right, So are they proposing the entirety of the river be covered by the single They're going to move segments of it to areas where they think it's a high traffic area.
Speaker 4: They're going to begin an Eagle Pass where four people drown just this weekend. But then, according to Steve McGraw, who's head of Texas DPS, it sounds like they will be putting them all along the river in areas they believe are high traffic.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, and Jesus Christ, it is the dock se and yeah, Eagle Pass is where all those people died in the in the annac conditioned trailer like I think two years ago, right was that Eagle Pass.
Speaker 4: Those kind of trailer horror have happened near US and fel furious in San Antonio. Unfortunately, they happen throughout the border region. And there are so many ports of entry land ports of entry along the Texas Mexico border because Texas is I mean, Mexico is our number one trading partner with the US, and we have NAFTA, which established the North American Free Trade Zone. So if you have a television or a refrigerator, or you drive a car in the United States today, chances are those pieces and parts are manufactured in Mexico in the Free trade Zone and then they get brought over by Trump. Same thing with so much of our produce. So the amount of that trailer traffic is enormous, and those trailers are used for human smuggling at much higher numbers, we should note than the river area. Same as for narcotics trafficking. Those things are coming across by the truck load and in shipping vessels, not in small bundles across the Rio Grand River.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I think most I think most narcotics center the country through ports of entry red than between ports of entry against nodings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh absolutely, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, especially the narcotics that are very expensive. Even when I was an agent in the mid nineties, I used to say, why do we only get marijuana and and the agents would say, well, because cocaine's too expensive to put on somebody's back and hike it through the mountains, Yeah, across the river or in the desert. So it's just easier to buy off a CBP agent or a Border patrol agent and just get waved on through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not like dumb otherwise, Like these these are huge money businesses. You're not throwing a half a million dollars of cocaine on some guy's back, yeah, right.
Speaker 4: And risking it floating away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this valuable merchandise. Like there are no like, no more cavalier with it than like target is you know, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the obviously this is part of a sort of larger I don't know. Abbott does a lot of posturing on the border, right, and that posture has real consequences for migrants, and it has real consequences for people living on both sides of the border as well, right, especially I think people our previous coverage that will be very well aware of that. Perhaps we could sort of characterize this within the context of Operation Loan Star, within the other Like you've said, right, the other deployments. It's not just even Texas National Guard who are now deployed to the border. So could you give us like an overview of all the ridiculous lapping that's been done.
Speaker 4: Well, there are twelve or thirteen states to date that have sent prison guards, their national Guard, fishing game or wildlife officers, and state police to the border. And this is related to two different campaigns basically by the Border Patrol Union. One is Biden Border Crisis with that hashtag, which they launched in March of twenty twenty one, and the other is every state is a Border State, which was a battle cry for MAGA politicians during the midterms. And so what we see now are these red states with you know, governors who want to capitalize on looking tough on immigration sending reinforcements to the border. DeSantis obviously was the first to do that because he's been very vocal about envyat Abbot and how Abbot had kind of a leg up on him in any campaign because.
Speaker 6: Abbot got the border and Abbot got to, as you said, posture there and be you know, the new sheriff in town and you know, stepping in where.
Speaker 4: Sleepy Joe is, you know, not performing. But what we see in reality is Brandon Judd, who's the president of the National Border Patrol Council, was stuck to Trump. You know, they were best buddies and and you know, basically campaigning together. And then Brandon jen kind of fell away from Trump when he lost reelection and has become Greg Abbott's best buddy and press junket sidekick and helped stage the launch of Operation Lone Star, which you know, was like a Fourth of July type parade with the tanks and the helicopters and the planes and the boats and the you know, the ATV agents and the horses, the whole nine yards. And people think, I think most people in the United States believe that Abbot is this renegade doing this all on his own. And what we see is the reality is it is a joint operation between the state government and the federal government, but the Feds won't admit to it because of the optics. It's bad enough that Biden continued border wall construction, which most of his supporters opposed. Now he is working hand in glove with Abbott. And when I say our experience, what we see daily and what I have documented is US Border Patrol working with Texas Department of Public Safety troopers and Operation Loan Star Texas National guardsmen literally riding in the same vehicles together, responding to scenes, patrolling together. And at the Butterfly Center, we had National Guard Texas National Guard parked on the levee at our property, blocking our access back and forth. And I went and said, hey, guys, you know this is our property and we have to have access to it during regular business hours for you know, my staff who are working here and our members and visitors who come to explore and enjoy. So I need you all to move. I need you to move your humbyes so we can get back and forth. And I recorded this interaction as I do all and they said, ma'am, we don't take our orders from you. We take our orders from Border Patrol. And that was a revelation to me when this happened a couple of years ago. So I actually got on the phone with the patrol agent in charge, the highest ranking Border Patrol agent at the McCallen station, and I said, his name is Tony Crane. I said, Tony, you need to come out here and tell these guys to move. They're saying they'll only do it for you, and they only take orders from you. And Tony drove out there to the Butterfly Center, to the levee and instructed the National Guard to move their vehicle and they did. And this is something we've seen over and over. And I now have in email commander or Regional director rather of Texas DPS, Victor Escalon, who the rest of the nation may know from the Uvaldi tragedy. I have email from him where he is invoking the federal statute that DPS claims gives them the authority to ignore our Fourth Amendment rights and enter private property without warrant as long as they're working with Warner Patrol, and they are claiming that they are doing so at the request of the United States Attorney General according to the federal.
Speaker 2: Statute am importantly the federal government in any of its aspects in saying no, this isn't true, or like they're working get like you say, hand in hand with these and like it's not even just a joint federal and state operation. Like I know, I think it was South Dakota's deployment. Was it that was funded by a wealthy individual? Like the state didn't pay for it. I can't remember which Dakota it was, but yeah, it was funded by a wealthy donor who paid for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So whichever state CHRISTI Noem is in charge of, Yes, and I believe that also happened in Kentucky or Tennessee. Same thing. It was a wealthy donor who funded their state National Guard deployment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then perhaps Jen, you could explain to people why it is so different if they believe they have these within one hundred miles the border, and then again within twenty five miles of the border, so many of your fundamental rights don't apply. Could you explain how that works? And then how then if the National Guard see themselves is also having the ability to sort of wave the with amendment, what that would mean for the privacy of people living along the border.
Speaker 5: In the United States Border Patrol Academy, So I went through the academy I started in June of nineteen ninety five, so I can at least testify to that. They basically, you know, I had a four year in law, so I knew a little basics about it, and then going to the academy, it was really kind of sad because they don't really teach you much of anything. They're just like, you know, your their rights are limited. We're allowed within twenty five miles of the border by the law to go on anybody's private property and even search their buildings, as long as it's not a domicile, and that can sometimes be in question whether it's being used as a domicile or we consider it as a domicile, And then within one hundred miles of any land or sea border, which encompasses two thirds of the United States population, we can basically stop you and ask you to prove that you're a United States citizen. And so then they increase that with checkpoints that are a little ways away from the border, where they under the guise of asking for your citizenship. They then get to police American citizens or legal residents. And as the years have progressed, Border patrol keeps trying to push those authorities.
Speaker 3: In the beginning, you know.
Speaker 5: We weren't allowed to work with local PD, the local sheriffs. There was a very clear separation, a very clear line between Border Patrol and local cops, or at least legally on written paper, there were supposed to be. And after nine to eleven, what we end up seeing is the Border Patrol decides to get very heavily invested into surveillance. And it's not a coincidence. Former Chief Rodney Scott was in charge of that during that time, and his basic statement was, you know, if a car is bombed in Iraq, the Border Patrol needs to know about it. So they considered anything in the world to be important to the Border Patrol, and they wanted the Border Patrol to be the go to agency and as far as surveillance. So that's why you see them being used in Black Lives Matter protests and things like this, and we saw them a lot in the Trump administration where they were supposedly guarding federal buildings and then went and attacked them. So what you see is the Border Patrol trying to quietly eke into what is typically considered peace officer authority. So they're trying to get peace officer authority in Texas through the state legislature, and they just keep trying to expand their authority more and more. What I see in Texas specifically, is when you look at the history of immigration when the United States, when we first you know, when Texas first came a state, and all this other stuff. Originally the states did their own immigration patrolling, and so if you went and you just decided you're going to somehow you landed on the coast in Georgia, then you would have to go to a Georgian official and pay whatever it is that they required of you and stuff. And so what I see more and more is like Texas is taken back that authority and saying we're the ones that are going to say this, and so then they can make money off of the deterrence policies and all of this other stuff. So it's just a constant expansion of the rights of the cops, while at the same time constantly reducing the rights to the people who live here and even the people that cross here. A lot of people think, they'll say, you know that migrants don't have any constitutional rights.
Speaker 3: Well that's not true.
Speaker 5: They have constitutional rights because it says people in the US Constitution.
Speaker 3: It doesn't say citizens.
Speaker 5: So in certain areas it will say citizens, and then that is exclusive to United States citizens, but they're you know, the basic rights are afforded to even migrants. But because the migrants don't have much of a voice, the border patrol gets away with with everything. Secret teams, cover up teams, and all this other stuff. Border patrol agents will just flat out tell you constitution doesn't exist down here, and they never get in trouble for it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, one of one of the things Jen just touched on is Texas DPS getting in on this immigration business. Is when Governor Abbott declared that Operation Loan Star would be targeting Hispanic males and in some places they talk about of fighting age. So they're already depicting all of these individuals as like olders in some invasion in a gang war, and you know that they're again hostile combatants to the United States. But they were going to charge them all with criminal trespass. So we hear a lot about how awful the cartel is and how much money they take from migrants and then hold them for ransom, and how expensive it is to get across. Well, once they get across the state of Texas becomes the cartel. They arrest them, charge them with criminal trespass, put them in the county jail. It's a five thousand dollars fine. Then when they're released from state custody, they're immediately handed over to federal detention, and that is generally the for profit GEO group or cor civic. And there my understanding is fines for attention can be ten thousand to twelve thousand dollars for your federal detention. And so here we have it used to be just the for a profit federal detention facilities cashing in on our criminal immigration policies, and Governor Rabbit's like, hey, why aren't we getting a piece of the pie? So that is what Operation Loan Star is really about. It's not about public safety. It's not that all this fentanyl is coming across the Rio Grande River being smuggled by migrants. It's about chi ching chi ching, Chi ching chi ching, putting all of them in to the county jail at five thousand dollars ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it's all the while, right, like he's that, I know. So the Texas National Guard people aren't getting the benefits they would normally get if they'd been mobilized or deployed because it's a state deployment, not a federal deployment. And like as much as Abbott and DeSantis try and paint, the border is a dangerous place full of like I know, like drug warlords and cartel violence. And overwhelmingly the people in that in Lone Star who have died have died because they got drunk and drove because they had an accident with a personally owned firearm. Because Texas law doesn't allow them to stop the National Guard bringing their own weapons.
Speaker 1: They're they're not getting into gunfights with zacarios, right, Like, it's not it's not any any anything like that. It's the standard problem of taking a bunch of men away from the place they normally live and making them do mine numbing duty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they're they're doing mine numbing duty in you know, exasperating heat. It's boring as hell. We see them asleep in vehicles, watching Netflix, doing other things. When National Guard totaled their Enterprise rental truck on the gate at the National Butterfly Center, what we found were bud light cans on the ground, which we can only assume bounced out of the truck bed when that truck made impact. And was destroyed. The local police will not release any public information related to calls and reports that they have to take of drunken disorderly conduct, noise complaints, property damage, sexual assault, all of these things happening at the hotels where National Guard is staying. But we know from visitors and from property managers and others that this is happening regularly because yeah, they don't so good leadership and it's it's frankly, it's like really young kids that are down there.
Speaker 3: And the other thing.
Speaker 5: That we need to say too is that the National Guard that's being posted there, the young National Guard kids are seeing increase rates of suicide. And that's that's something that's particular to Border Patrol agents because when you're an oppressor and you do that cut of work, then you're going to end up your The suicide rates go through the roofs as they are with the Border Patrol, and now you're seeing that with the National Guard. But Marianna's right, there's a lot, there's a lot of stuff that they're suppressing about what these National Guard kids are getting into because they're bored down there. So they're sitting down there in Texas drinking and opening it up and getting in trouble. But it's all kind of hush hush quiet about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not only are they bored, but these are, like you said, eighteen nineteen, twenty twenty one year olds getting paid six thousand dollars a month, like they have never had this kind of cash before, and what are they going to do with it? They're going to go buy guns at our local pawn shop.
Speaker 3: They pay the National Guard that will, that's.
Speaker 4: What they're being paid. And initially their taxes were not being withheld or anything. So employment, yeah, that was a whole nother issue. And then for a while they were trying to unionize because they were not getting the benefits of a regular deployment. And the ones who were working in law enforcement already as police officers, firefighters, paramedics and such, they also, while they're on deployment, do not accrue their hours toward their pensions. They're taking another hit for that. And so these were all things that I guess the state didn't really think through when they called all these people up and forced them to come sit on the border and do mind numbing work.
Speaker 1: For the most part, No, it's just a it's a terrible idea like comprehensive. It's one of those things if you if you spent any time studying the surge in Iraq and kind of the later part of the Bush Ears and some of the shit that happened when they just grabbed a bunch of National Guard guys and through the like, it's a lot of the same shit. It's people who were like finding ways to get alcohol and drugs, who were crashing cars, who were because like, yeah, you were. It's just this is this is an inevitable consequence, which is why you shouldn't do something like this unless there's like a dire reason to need to bring the National Guard into a situation like a natural disaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I would I would say that they all need house mothers. I mean, like fraternities have and stuff, because every time I run into one of these young men and they start to like look at me or open their mouth a certain way, I just want to grab them by the ear and be like, oh, you know, junior, I'm gonna spank you.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: My first snapper.
Speaker 1: Yeah you are nineteen. You should not be in this position right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get out of here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go ahead, We'll take your gun. From you too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we spoke to a few of them at a grub At and I when we were down there, and one of them was just saying he's trying to get some money for college, and yeah, I don't think they're recring those benefits because if they're under state order to say it, they didn't get it. So Greg Abbat's kind of screwing everyone apart from himself and his little friends. I guess maybe to finish up, I know that one. I think the only case like I can come across of this happening of someone dying or trying to rescue migrants was a National Guard soldier who tried to rescue some people from the river and drowned from what I understand, and like, obviously this drowning barrier is going to if Border patroller even invested in investing in getting people from the river, which they might not be if they're from the from the Mexican side, if they're still on the Mexican side of the border, right in theory, would put those people in those like National Guard and Border patrol agents in danger to So what have Border Patrol to say about the floating barrier so far?
Speaker 5: They haven't said anything about it so far, and there have been a few Border Patrol agents who've lost their lives jumping into the room as well. There have been other migrants who have lost their lives trying to save their children and so forth. Migrants die every day in that river, and the Border Patrol is just going to stay quiet about it because they like it's it's their management.
Speaker 3: He's going along with it.
Speaker 5: And if they didn't like and if the bid administration didn't like it, then they would come out and say so, or they would come out and have Chief Gloria Chabez come out and say no, we're not going to have this.
Speaker 3: This is going to kill people.
Speaker 5: This is not right, you know on our first blah blah blah, which we all know it's bullshit.
Speaker 3: But the truth is is they really don't care. They just don't care.
Speaker 5: And as they say in the Border Patrol, and we learn and you all learned. I knew it, but you all learn from the ten to fifteen group on Facebook they call them floaters and take pictures of them and make fun of it. So the Border Patrol could care less.
Speaker 3: It's just one less migrant. They got a process.
Speaker 4: Well, and you know, as Jim said, if US Border Patrol was opposed to this new border barrier, they would say something, well, I think it's even worse than that. In twenty eighteen, Trump got border wall funding, and as you mentioned, he had his you know, Commando Climb, all these border wall prototypes in the desert and all of that. In twenty nineteen he got his second trunch of border wall funding, but twenty twenty and twenty twenty one were continuing resolutions, so he was getting border wall funding after that, but it was always for existing approved designs, and those are the concrete with the steel ballards. So for even though Trump floated the idea of this Wui border barrier, this floating border wall, to get congressional approval or US Army Corps of Engineer approval for such a thing would have been an issue. Also there's the issue of the International Boundary and Water Commission Treaty, which is a bi national treaty with Mexico that governs the Rio Grande River, the water that flows in it, the boundaries, who gets to take how much water from it, things that are built and might affect the flow of the river. As Jen mentioned, the International Boundary is the middle of the river, no matter where the river is flowing now, because over millions of years it has shifted. The channel has shifted many, many times and greatly. So we know the FEDS probably border patrol with the Trump administration. So DHS wanted this floating border wall. The easiest way for them to get it is to have Governor Abbott do it. In two thousand and five, the Real Id Act, in that act of legislation, Congress gave the Secretary of Homeland Security the authority to waive every law, local, state, federal for border barrier. So it doesn't say border wall, it's as border barrier. So presumably this buoy border barrier would also be covered, so the FEDS don't have to worry about something like the National Environmental Policy Act or the Endangered Species Act or the Rivers and Harbors Act in deploying this. But they do not have authority to waive treaties or the Constitution. So since at least two thousand and five, the federal government has been trying to devise ways to effectively waive the IBWC Treaty. One of the ways in which they have done that is with the we build the wall campaign which built you know, they built border barrier on the international boundary line in Sunland Park, New Mexico, and in Mission, Texas, and the US government settled with them, allowing this illegal structure to stand in violation of the treaty in spite of Mexico's objections, thereby setting a legal precedent, effectively waiving the treaty. But now Abbott can do this, and who's going to sue him? The IBWC isn't going to do a damn thing because they have no authority to sue on their own. They have to go to the federal government and ask the Department of Justice to sue on their behalf. And it's the Department of Justice that has already settled with Fisher Industries for the we build the wall fraud fence in violation of the treaty. The other issue is Texas doesn't have to abide by NEPA or any equivalent law. And we know that the FEDS have in the past devised really nasty reach arounds for the law where if they get busted doing something illegal like having Customs and Border Protection spray, imas appear a broad spectrum herbicide that is a known carcinogen all over people, animals, and plants on the border, they get sued and made to stop that, they'll simply pass the money through to the state of Texas and ask them to continue it. And I think this floating buoy border barrier is exactly that kind of thing. The Biden administration can say, we're not doing it, and they don't have to get approval for this design, and they'll just find a way to either pass the money through to Texas or allow Texas to continue to basically fundraise for it by prosecuting immigrants for criminal trespass and finding them to get out of county jail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that is doc.
Speaker 5: I think it's interesting to point out though that when Governor do See of Arizona put up his train car thing, yeah, Biden, the Biden administration did get involved with that.
Speaker 3: They and they were upset about that.
Speaker 5: So far, we haven't seen anything about this, and so we'll see if they deploy it and the Biden administration stays quiet about it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're closing in on like November twenty twenty four, and I think Biden really is very sensitive about being seen as quote unquote weak on the border, and like given the absolute disaster it was the end of Title forty two and the way they handled that, and yeah, they didn't really say anything when border patrol with clearly holding people in conditions that are in violation of their own detention standards. Like I don't have high hopes for the Biden administration.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, it's interesting because you would think, like the whole thing from the Union and everybody that is pro border patrol an anti immigrant was like, if you in Title forty two, then then it's just going to overwhelm the border patrol and more people will come. And we kept saying for a year like no, that's not going to happen. It's going to be drastically cut. And so it's drastically cut. And you would think the Bide administration would.
Speaker 3: Be like look what I did. Yeah, yeah, but they're not.
Speaker 5: I mean like like they have no clue how to talk about the border and what to do on the border.
Speaker 3: It's sad.
Speaker 4: Well, it's this double edged sword of get in line, do it the legal way. So the people who say we're not anti immigrant, we just want them to do it the legal way and get in line. So title forty two ends we've got the CBP one app which gives them an appointment so they can stand in line to cross at a legal point of port of entry and do it legally. And now they've got to find a way to thwart that and to mess it up. And Biden, as you said, is not saying, look at what we did. We've got everybody standing in line doing it the legal way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think they don't want to look at CBP one too, given what a disaster it's been and how biased it's been and how bad it continues to be.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: For sure, they've failed to offer any other options. And yeah, I don't really have any hope that things will not just get worse. There seems to be a bipods and consensus that it's okay to kill lots of people trying to come to our country for help, because it's bad if folks need mean to you.
Speaker 4: Jen has been very vocal and produced lots and lots of research and documentation on how our deterrence policies are designed to kill and they're not a whole lot of people using the G word. But Jen has been courageous enough to do it. I was recently told by my employer that I could not use it, and I think it's a horror but Jen can speak to it.
Speaker 3: We have to do a whole other episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we should be. We're definitely going to keep covering this because it's one of the things that just disappears from a lot of national media in between election cycles or in between.
Speaker 1: Well and unfortunately it's one of the things where kind of the numbers are heading in the wrong direction nationwide because like the border, Like the right is winning on border stuff right now, the right is winning on immigration. Like, there's some pretty dark polling likes as much as you know, some of the last couple of elections have been positive in terms of the pitiful performance of like kind of maga Republicans. Like if you if you look at kind of how Americans are polling on border issues and immigration issues, it's it's pretty bleak at the moment. And I don't really, I don't think anyone has a great clear clue as to like how to reverse that at the moment, which isn't to say that it can't be reversed, it's just, uh, it's it's it's difficult.
Speaker 5: Well, it's difficult, especially when the Democrats are always ceding the argument to the Republicans like they're afraid to make the argument that a robust, in humane asylum system that can inspect the people requesting asylum is a national security issue and you need one. You can't just not have a NASH. You can't have an asylum not have an asylum system. You have to have It's an essential part to the national security infrastructure. So people that argue that we shouldn't have an asylum system because it's a threat to national security are completely ignorant about what they're talking about, and so they have to start framing it as as a national security issue, you know, one where we can have people come and be inspected and so forth, and then the people who are the nefarious people, Yeah, they're going to go in between the ports of entry. Fine, arrest those people, but let's have a humane system otherwise.
Speaker 4: It's also fundamental to the success of our economy, and with you know, the US birth rate is declining and without a robust, safe, timely immigration system, ideally one that allows people to go back and forth. Because what I hear from people here is I miss my country. I want to return to my I want to come here to see my family, to work for a season or for a spell, to send money home, but then I want to be able to return, and our current system it's too deadly to allow them to make it through and then go back and attempt to do that a second time. Another issue related to the narrative and read winning on immigration is we found at the Butterfly Center that when Biden continued building border wall, and we said, oh my gosh, you know this is what's happening, and we posted photos and video and everything of it, people who had supported US, Democrats, liberals with a capital L, who had supported US said, you're lying, or that's just they're continuing trumps they had to. And then when we contradicted every one of those arguments with facts, then they said, oh, well, if Biden's doing it, then there must be a good reason. And you know, the US can't accept everybody. And you know, you get this walking back of all of the the things that they were saying when Trump was president, about being humane, about needing an effective system, about creative solutions and all of this, and now it's suddenly, well, you know, we can't let everybody in and and so I have honestly found and I'm going to take a lot of hit flat for this, but there's basically no difference between a moderate Republican and a liberal capital l.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it cly seems that way. Certainly, Uh, Trump had months of tible forty two, Biden had years of it.
Speaker 1: Like it's yeah, certainly, I mean it's it's I think pretty much impossible to argue with that, at least on the on a broad scale, like if you're just kind of like looking at at national trends. Uh, there's there's ample support for that argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Biden, I mean Obama deported more people than anyone absolutely, Yeah, massive number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well cool, yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Where can people find out more terrible stuff about the border? Is there in podcast they can listen to.
Speaker 5: We do have a podcast, Border Patrol Watch. Marianna and I have kind of started it just to talk about a lot of these issues that we feel are being left out. And it's on YouTube. We also have a TikTok account in Twitter for the moment.
Speaker 3: We'll see how that goes.
Speaker 5: And Facebook and Instagram, and there is Border patrol watch dot com. Yeah, and that list there's a page on there for all the agents arrested for rape and pedophilia. There's a corruption page. There's a page on how they try and indoctrinate the youth down here on the borderlands and so forth. So yeah, I'm all about that jazz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's hashtag on a first And so where could people it's all borderpar watch. How about you two? Do you guys have individual accounts? Where can they find you?
Speaker 4: Jen is doing most of this, and I believe it's under the Border Patrol Watch banner. Yeah, because you know, both of us found ourselves targeted or throttled or being you know, really suppressed by Twitter and Facebook.
Speaker 3: And lost my forty thousand followers. Yeah, oh wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But bottom chart, which is great. You had a great thread on agents who have facing charges for sexual assault, and that's a very small minority of agents who have done sexual assaults certainly, but yeah, there's some really good information for people on there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those are just the ones who are being prosecuted or have been convicted. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most of them sadly have not, and even the ones who have, it took too long and it was far too convoluted. We can yeah, we can talk again on that happy topic another day, But thank you so much for giving us some of your afternoon guys. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank thank you guys for all you do and forgetting the word out. It could Happen here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 5: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It could Happen Here did in monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.