Speaker 1: Hi allan happy holidays from the whole crew of the History of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Season four has come to a close, and as a special delight, we are re releasing two of our favorite episodes.
Speaker 2: Enjoy.
Speaker 3: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the History of Curby Your Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well. Links available in the episode description. All right, abstusiastic you who.
Speaker 4: We always need to recover from the ship? That he says? That is that scenario?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hilarious. I'm Jeff Garland.
Speaker 3: And we're here with Larry David. Yes, and we're discussing season two the doll Okay, episode seven.
Speaker 5: By the way, feel free to ask me any question about the doll, or any any question about anything.
Speaker 3: How did this episode come up?
Speaker 5: Here's how it came up.
Speaker 2: Anything we want.
Speaker 5: My daughter, I don't know, Let's see what year are we talking about to that she must have been six and she had a doll and I was looking at the doll and I thought, what if I cut the dolls. I thought, I'd really like to give this dollar a haircut. What would happen if I did? Would would be upset? Whatever?
Speaker 3: And so that was the derivation. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But by the way, people like us, and I'm talking about comeding people, we have a million thoughts that run the gamut from that to really inappropriate, and we don't act on it because you didn't cut the dolls hair, right.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, but you thought what if I did? And she'd be upset? And thus the germ of a classic. Yes, so we start out, you're in a pitch with ABC with Julia pitching on not Evelyn or what you know what?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sure, and you're.
Speaker 3: Drinking a lot of water. You have to drink water eight times a.
Speaker 5: Day setting up the ending.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correct, And so you already had the ending in mind.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I did. We needed the bottle of water because.
Speaker 4: You had to him because the bottle of water didn't add anything to the storyline except for his argument and the ending.
Speaker 3: And you know a lot of peeing having to use the bathroom with the Michaelson's house, you know a lot of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been told a lot of peing in your work.
Speaker 3: No okay, And you're there and you find out that Jason is also going to be working with ABC, playing a motivational speaker, and your question is where did you meet? Because prior to that you had the whole Mischi gos with Jason about having to go to his office.
Speaker 5: And show one. Yeah right, yes, it was just a joke. Yeah, yeah, did he come to you or did you?
Speaker 4: Well? By the way, one thing I love about your character, nothing is Letto nothing. If there's anything done to you, it will be investigated until the end, and you may destroy that person. But I always find that usually you dig a bigger hole for yourself.
Speaker 3: Usually as a grudge bearer. I think, so, yes, where'd you meet? And then you're pondering because we see how deeply it upsets you that you actually met that Jason came to them, but you had to go to him, and then you're part of the ABC family. Come to the screening of Harriet.
Speaker 5: The hardest the hardest thing about this show, as I recall or one of the things that I didn't care for that I had to do. There had to be two screenings in the same theater, and it's so stupid because something happened the first screening, right, and then some of course the ending the second screening. But you're coming back for part two tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yes, by the way, the part tomorrow becomes hilarious. Yeah, you actually throw around. Yeah, and then your question, what's the difference between Harriet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's later that at this meeting. No, that's later thought, Oh that's yeah, yeah, that's that is the last line of this. Yeah, but you know, who wants to go to a screening of Harriet Beach a Stowe?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: And then history buffs just saying I.
Speaker 3: Never understand why you go to a screening of something that's going to be on television. Why do you need to go to a screen because he's part of your house comfortably watching it on television. It's not like a movie that's going to be in a movie theater. Doesn't make any sense to me, and I'm sure it didn't it to Larry.
Speaker 4: That's a movie theater that we've used since I don't think before Para with that premiere is there. Well, our premieres have been numerous times, yeah, maybe even three times. But on Paramount Pictures a lot there's a big screening.
Speaker 2: I mean theater. It's a theater.
Speaker 3: Our last premiere was there, yeah, season eleven. And then Lane Michaelson asked you you're gonna come. You say your wife's Susie's a friend. It is the art director. How is Susie? He has your host Susie, And then you'd say you're staying in a hotel.
Speaker 2: We split.
Speaker 5: I had completely forgotten that your characters had split up. Yes, when I was watching it last night, I thought, oh my god, they're not together because.
Speaker 3: We already did the thor episode where we split up where you had to go get his porn right right? That was prior to that. We got back together obviously because it was such a happy couple. Yes, Julia gets out of it by saying her son has pink eye, very wisely, which we know was bullshit.
Speaker 2: No one argues that pinky now it's one of those ones.
Speaker 3: And after that, that's when you say, what's the difference between Harriet Peter Stowe and Harriet Tubman who Harriet Tubman comes back again? We're not going to say how right, And at the screening you set another thing up. This is the beauty of this episode. You say to Cheryl, I think we might be due for some sex tonight, and Lane Michaelson COOMSI introduces himself and a woman stops you going into the theater.
Speaker 6: There's no food or.
Speaker 3: Drink in the theater.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, really, I got like a condition.
Speaker 5: I really need to have this.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have to finish it out here. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: That's my favorite stoppage of all time.
Speaker 5: And then I find out a minute later that she's just somebody attending the screen act. She doesn't work for this.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, gold, yeah, gold.
Speaker 3: She says, you know who to drink in the theater, and what if I have a condition?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was hard on you.
Speaker 4: You thought there were strict rules and she was in charge of which made the second part.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, who are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no way other people wouldn't react that way unless they're repressed.
Speaker 3: You know, I might not say something they know.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, that's that's absurd. That's absurd that she doesn't work there.
Speaker 3: But most people wouldn't say.
Speaker 5: There was a five percent jackass factor. People who just don't like rules to be broken regardless, and so, yeah, but there might be a five percent chance that someone would go. You know the you're not supposed to bring.
Speaker 2: Water face that before.
Speaker 4: But the person who is so so in control, it's the rule, you can't do it.
Speaker 5: I have to tell you when i'm when when there's a rule okay that I think is a legitimate rule, and I see somebody breaking a legitimate rule, I don't like it. No, I don't like that person.
Speaker 3: Who do you? Who do you think when you see somebody litter for example?
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if you were coming in with a big thing of food and a sandwich.
Speaker 5: But a bottle, yeah, it's usually even no food or drink. Water is water can be succeptible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, But I feel the same way you see somebody doing something a litterate or or something we did in the later opposode, taking two spaces in a in a parking lot, or you know the big parker.
Speaker 4: By the way, it happens every day when you drive. Every day, when you drive there somewhere, you know, no, when people say I'm not going to follow this rule, I'm going to cut in here, do this? Do that?
Speaker 2: Every day when I drive in New York.
Speaker 3: You know what happens to me all the time, because I have a dog. I see other dog owners not picking up the poop. That perfect dad. They and I say something all the time because I am that woman.
Speaker 5: Okay, But meanwhile I brought the water into the theater and that was no big deal.
Speaker 3: That was no big deal. But the fight between you and her was hilarious.
Speaker 6: Excuse me, yeah, do you work here?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: How come you told me to get rid of the water. Then I saw you coming with water.
Speaker 3: There's no water.
Speaker 6: That's the rules. I don't say I was your concern. You don't work here, it's the rules.
Speaker 3: The sign says no food or drink in the theater. I'm sure we would all like to have a barn.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're all dying of thirst. What are you the hallway monitor here?
Speaker 3: Who are you that the rules don't apply?
Speaker 6: I'm applying the Golden rule?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 3: I don't think the Golden rule applies here?
Speaker 6: If you had water, which you want me to tell you not to bring it in, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: How about common courtesy by doesn't.
Speaker 2: Supersede the Golden rule?
Speaker 5: That's the big one.
Speaker 3: Nuts, You're you're nuts, jackass.
Speaker 6: Don't don't bring any pencil pencils in?
Speaker 4: What loser?
Speaker 5: Excuse me, missus Carter, we've got homework. You forgot to give us homework.
Speaker 3: You know what, are you the whole Monitor, the Golden Rule, all of that teacher? You forgot to tell us we have homework.
Speaker 2: By the way, it depends in pencils?
Speaker 4: Was I think the last one?
Speaker 2: Are we going to be using.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, missus cantor was that a teacher? You really we've done homework, And Cheryl for the millionth time saying all right, all right, I mean every episode Cheryl has said so far that we've watched. All right. Then you're at the Michaelson's house and you're telling Jeff about the fight, and you see the whole Monitor woman we don't know her name, talking to Anne Michaelson, which was to Wilson, and Jeff says to you, you want to go to dinner tomorrow before part two.
Speaker 5: Now that's just the beginning. Now I wouldn't do that to Jeff, but because it was so early in the run of the series, it didn't seem to make a difference. That I said at the Jeff, our relationship has grown, has grown, and any wouldn't give a shit.
Speaker 4: By the way, in real life, that's our relationship that you would say to me, no, don't do that.
Speaker 5: But still, this is part of the joy of doing the show for me is to be able to say things to people that I can't say in my life. And one of them is you want to go to dinner tomorrow? No I don't. Yeah, but it was Jeff who got the brunt of it that time.
Speaker 2: I loved it, by the way. I thought that was hilarious.
Speaker 3: You know, let me ask you, Jeff, I have a note here and then you start talking about that you liked it because she's showing a lot of cleavage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I don't think that was in the script.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when they walked away, I'm telling the ABC guy, what happens in the second half? Is she in there?
Speaker 2: Because there's a lot of I'm in a lot of cleavage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know that your character would do that. Now what do you think? Oh, totally again, how the characters changed.
Speaker 4: My character has not evolved. Actually, if anything, I'm more a defender of Larry every season. Yes, and everyone understands my feeling towards you. That's why my character has a million and one affairs. So I think he would definitely question whether there's going to be cleavage, all right.
Speaker 3: Larry then has a frozen Margarita has a chess freeze, and.
Speaker 5: I must I think there was a period that I went through I would get that chess freeze right right, No, no, I just thought.
Speaker 3: Now you freeze yourself on purpose. And Anne Michaelson comes over and she's clearly doesn't like you already, she's already heard from you who have a volunteer to be a whole monitor. Not me either, I hated the whole monitors, the rules, rosies, and she's she's clearly doesn't like you. Ready. You go to the bathroom and there's no lock, and then the strings playing. You're holding your foot against the door and trying to go away.
Speaker 4: The funniest one is holding the foot against the door because the toilets a mile away.
Speaker 2: The idea that you thought reach you. Yeah, so stupid, it's so stupid, hilarious.
Speaker 3: But I think that's a great example of how music is used in that show. You know that you know that the strings there was just so yes, how did you? How did while we have you here? If I may, is there somebody who originally came up with all this music? Was there a music editor.
Speaker 5: Well, I heard the theme bum bump. I heard that on a bank commercial, right, And I told Laura and my assistant, I said, I heard this music that I love and maybe I'll use it one day. And then two years later, I said, remember that music I told you to say if she said yes, so that's in some kind of library, right. And once we got that music from the library, there were tons of other little little pieces that were usable for the.
Speaker 3: Show, like like.
Speaker 5: Like I said, I told Steve, Steve editor, I said, I want like Italian circus music. Yeah, all kinds of Italian circus music, because I felt like, even if something doesn't work, you put that circus music in there and it makes everything lighter and funnier. So yeah, that's that's where we get all the music from this this library. But occasionally I will say, oh, you know, it would be great here some strausswaltz or or you know, would be great here some Rossini, and I'll know a particular piece that I'll suggest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you listen that much?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: No, classical music.
Speaker 4: By the way, You've surprised me over the years, and I get a big laugh out of it. With your knowledge of popular music, and you know the words they are actuate from one word to the next, And I'll say, have you listened to that you like their music? Beach Boys whatever? No, No, I've heard of the Bunch, and I you start saying that I do like the bitch Boys. No. I know.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to use an example, but is.
Speaker 3: There a separate editor who does music or is that all that.
Speaker 5: Steve used to do? All the music did. Yeah, I'm not sure if he does it all now because the music is.
Speaker 3: So important in the show. You know, one of the things that Jeff and I noticed when we were doing the original pilot it didn't have the music and it felt so I mean, it had some cute little jazz music and it was fine, but it felt so different. It felt so different the whole world of it. The music creates the world of it. Okay, so you need to find another bathroom because this bathroom is not working.
Speaker 5: For No, it's no good.
Speaker 3: A lot of always a lot of bathroom themes.
Speaker 4: Yet there was always humor as long as it's not about statological scatological. There's a lot of humor and bathrooms there is. We even't did a big episode about that later.
Speaker 5: My favorite bathroom bit was the one I did on the plane where I went into the bathroom and there was turbulence. Yes, that was I think that was eight.
Speaker 2: I think season four. It was a New York one.
Speaker 5: It was going to New York to shoot the producers.
Speaker 3: I think, oh, that was that one. Yeah, So you go upstairs to find another bathroom. You enter the little girl's room and her name was Tara. Little girl's name was Sarah, and she's playing with her dolls and she asked, you do you have to go potty? And you come out of the bathroom and she's brushing her doll, Judy's hair, which is very long hair. How was she cast this little girl? Because she was terrific.
Speaker 4: Audition Yes, she auditioned. By the way her rhythms, she was great. Yeah, her rhythms were like because she would go from A to Z in a millisecond and then go right back.
Speaker 3: Go right back. Yes, she was terrific. She was, And I want to get to running into her later in life, but after we get more storyline.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thirty shut your great grandma's balls.
Speaker 3: This was two thousand and one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think she's like twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I want to I want to hold it because I want to get more storyline and because I don't want to give that. Okay, we'll be right back, stay tuned, and we're back. So she's brushing and and she asked you to give her a haircut. What is he supposed to do?
Speaker 4: But by the way, he's already having so much joy being with the girl.
Speaker 3: Talking to her at the party.
Speaker 2: Well, that for sure, But that's one of the things that you know, Larry.
Speaker 3: Was I think I commented on the long hair, right, yes, very long hair.
Speaker 5: I don't think I brought up would you would you want me to get it? I didn't say that. She asked me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she said, do you think you could give it a haircut? And you take out your Swiss army knife and have a very funny line about the Swiss let everybody do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. Yeah, and you cut it. It's a drothy hamel thing and it was great, and she's all happy, and she even says the doll looks pretty, and you say it's a very French look. Now I would take her out, And then you go back downstairs and you pass the hall monitor on the way. We never know her name. And Cheryl walks out of the power room says to you, there's no luck you're like I know, and she asks you to guard the door.
Speaker 2: Hara, why did you cut her hair?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: She asked me.
Speaker 5: She asked me to give it a haircut.
Speaker 7: You walked into my daughter's room and you cut her.
Speaker 6: Judy's hair well, she asked me to give it a haircut.
Speaker 7: And did you ever tell her that maybe it wouldn't grow back?
Speaker 6: I thought it was understood.
Speaker 7: How could you not understand that a little girl has a vivid imagine nation. She's extremely This little girl doesn't know that her Dolly's hair is not going to really you know who this is?
Speaker 6: This is Judy.
Speaker 7: If she is a collector's item, we're not going to be able to find another one like this. I can I got this doll before she was born.
Speaker 6: Well, I can replace it.
Speaker 5: I'm sure I can't.
Speaker 6: You can replace it.
Speaker 3: This is like Liberty, the a B Baby out of production.
Speaker 7: OPI okay, not coming back, is never gonna go back?
Speaker 6: What is that? I guess I missed a strand there. I got a Swiss army.
Speaker 5: Let me get it.
Speaker 6: I got a Swiss army. And if I could, I could get that.
Speaker 3: Mommy, mommy, look at my doll's hair. I hate it. He cut it.
Speaker 2: That's what she could do.
Speaker 4: She could go from really warm and calm to insane in a matter of seconds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, case she came down.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, your kids thinking like that, what do.
Speaker 3: You And once again, you didn't really do anything wrong, and yet no good deed goes unpunished. She asked you to cut the dolls exactly.
Speaker 2: And by the way, you dine a good job cutting the hair.
Speaker 3: He left one little strand, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but was that not part of the script? The strand?
Speaker 3: Probably not?
Speaker 5: I don't remember, because it certainly gives uh uh Rita Wilson's character ammunition tortures such an awkward moment.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: I don't think it was. If I recall the outline, whatever, right, And You're like, she asked me to cut the hair, and Anne's like, did you tell her it wouldn't grow back? Of course you didn't tell her wouldn't grow back to what a freking idiot wouldn't back?
Speaker 5: That comes back? Thought it was understood, it comes later on. That's one of my favorite lines in the show.
Speaker 3: Yes, I thought it was understood and and she has a vivid imagination. Rita was terrific in this episode.
Speaker 2: Did you mention that she goes to Mermann?
Speaker 3: That was later? That was later? That was later. And then Lane Michaelson walks in.
Speaker 5: On Cheryl in the back because I left my post, left to deal with the situation.
Speaker 3: Paul Hilarious was going on, and Anne Michaelson says, this is Judy. She's a colle item. We could not find another oh oh pee out of production. And the girl's crying and the haircuts ugly, and you say, I can replace it. And then Jeff says, Sammy, our daughter who was a son prior to that but suddenly became a daughter and also aged quite a bit in the year in between, has a huge doll collection. We'll go to my house, will zip in, will zip out, because you know, you're not really allowed to be there.
Speaker 5: Right, Jeff's pretty sure that he's got the Judy. He's got the Judy.
Speaker 4: Ohso the fact that I wouldn't take into consideration my daughter's feelings, I'm serving you.
Speaker 2: I gotta get.
Speaker 5: You know, she had a giant doll collection, and you didn't think she mis it.
Speaker 4: But I didn't take a beat to go And that's right, why my character is shitty, you know, tell me.
Speaker 2: About it all right, stop.
Speaker 3: So Cheryl likes at the bathroom and she just looks at you with that look, which I found in the first couple of seasons. This more of that with Cheryl than there was later on, like more of her going to get you back. There's been several episodes where she's going to kind of get you back, and then you're home and you're like, I fucked up.
Speaker 5: That's a real Brooklyn thing. Yeah, I fucked up.
Speaker 4: But by the way, if there's one thing that in my experience that you do to a woman is when they're yammering about something, then they're angry that you make a joke or you do a silly voice. They're infuriated. So with this time, when I saw you do that, I was like, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, it makes it worse.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's what's taking.
Speaker 3: It seriously, you're not validating my feelings.
Speaker 5: I'm admitting I made a mistake, right Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but not really. Yeah, any weren't really. So Cheryl's like he saw everything, like, think of the worst possible thing. So I was sitting there. What did he say, she's sitting on whatever?
Speaker 4: She was not happy, and no, he saw her pretty much completely naked.
Speaker 2: That's what she asserts. You know, he saw.
Speaker 4: Everything right, And she tells humiliating by the way.
Speaker 3: She tells you that she could never see this, that I just wanted.
Speaker 2: To get breath to go. Why did I add that? That's humiliating.
Speaker 3: Well, of course it's humiliating.
Speaker 4: No, no, I know that. You just answered my question. Of course it's humiliating. Did I want to just participate more in the show? What was my choice in doing that? Let's move on.
Speaker 3: Should we analyze that?
Speaker 5: Why did you add that?
Speaker 2: Because I didn't want anyone at home to go? Why the fuck did he ask that?
Speaker 4: And I know our audience, I'm assuming is very intelligent, and I just don't want to let anything go by.
Speaker 3: Where you know, cheryld then says, get anything to worry about with it. I'm moving on. Cheryl then says, you know, I can never face this man again. I'm humiliating, And Cheryl's like, you have to go somewhere else. We can't do it at ABC. She can't go to NBC's because of ge and the period brides. You can't, HBO, you totally fucked with We're running out and you say it's a mood point if we can't replace the doll and then you go into divorce. Is this a divorce? And that's where we see that dynamic with Cheryl. That's great. You know your relationship, how she plays off you and you play with you.
Speaker 5: Know, you know, in my in my real marriage, I would never say to my wife, what don you think maybe a little sex tonight? Yeah, I wouldn't say that I have to put a move on the way if I was dating you know, you know, I don't. I don't say let's have sex. I never say that.
Speaker 3: Does she always have to initiate? No, No, you'll initiate, but you just won't verbalize it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or I'll I'll pick up a cue or something, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, always looking for the cues.
Speaker 5: And and so the divorce. If we had a fight, I would never go divorce. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You were clearly joking though when you said divorce and she knew that. Yeah, I'm just saying, you can't say I would never have said that. You can't say that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're in a fight, You're you're in a fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. It shows the playfulness that Larry Show Larry and Show Cheryl had in their relationship, which I think is important. Okay, then you go look for the Judy doll. You drove up to our house. Remember that house we had in the hills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Nichols.
Speaker 5: Came fell on the sponge cake.
Speaker 3: Yeah yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: No, wasn't that the house?
Speaker 2: It was the house, So it.
Speaker 5: Was the house.
Speaker 3: Yes, that next season. Yeah, I fell on the sponge Yeah. And you come and you go up to Sammy's room. There's a million fucking dolls. I've never seen so many dolls in.
Speaker 5: And Jeff says, there you go, no, yes, it is, of course it is.
Speaker 6: No, it's not our that's Judy. No, it's not Judy.
Speaker 2: I've seen Judy.
Speaker 5: That's Judy.
Speaker 6: Jody's brown eyes, no, blue eyes, the eyes, I don't know, the eyes come on, Jody, brown eyes. I made I said it on my eyes brown eye.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: The song is sweet Judy.
Speaker 6: Blue eyes and brown eyes.
Speaker 4: It's brown Judy, Sweet Judy brown eyes. Holy shit, sweetuity brown eyes. Now, by the way, yeah, when he said that, when he came up with that, we both exploded. It took a while to get back into it because that is nuts. I remembered her. I put it together, sweet Judy brown eyes. It's fucking hilarious. It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: But then you just spot Judy up on the top shelves and you go to get it. And the shelf fall, which was an accident.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was. Every time we did it, shelf was fine. Maybe it was the last time or no, it was the last the first time, no, nothing, the shell fell down.
Speaker 3: It was the first take.
Speaker 2: I don't remember, but you.
Speaker 4: Would know that. I don't think so, because we anyhow, point being is that was not planned, and Larry and I just stuck with it. We knew you were coming shortly. We just stuck with it and were like scrambling and that whole thing of me putting it up and saying I'm worried. I'm just made that up on the spot because we had to justify the thing being on the ground.
Speaker 3: And sometimes that's the best things that for.
Speaker 2: You, because that makes you go, what the fuck.
Speaker 4: Is going on?
Speaker 3: And that does happen frequently where it's a happy accident, where it just makes everything.
Speaker 2: Why one of the case to improvising is don't stop.
Speaker 3: Keep going, and the door slim Susie's here, fear fear fear. I love that. And Larry, what are you gonna do? You take the head off and you stick it down your pants.
Speaker 5: Which screw the head screws off pretty much all off.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, there was something about the way this show just unfolded that I love. Because now I've got this head, and and I'm going back to Rita Wilson, missus Michaelson to give her the head. Then I have to go back. Then we see you by it that that's coming up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so and also you stick the head down because the thing too.
Speaker 5: Usually I need a number of ideas to get through an episode, and the idea is okay, the ideas will I try and make them all connect intersect at some point. But with this show, it's really just one idea, cutting this doll's hair. There are little things around it that support the idea.
Speaker 3: Like the bottle of water.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like the bottle of water, the relationship with the woman who you know, the whole monitor, But that's just supporting the overall idea of this doll, of cutting the doll's hair, It's one of the few episodes I think in the series, maybe the only one where there was really only one strong theme from beginning to end. I might be wrong, but that's somehow that's in my memory by.
Speaker 4: The way I watch it, and I think that episode was so dense and everything perfectly led to the next thing. It was like the dominoes on The Tonight Show. You don't know where it's going to end, you do, obviously, it's.
Speaker 5: About legs, and so this idea of cutting this dolls here. It just had a lot of legs. You could see it going from here to there to there to there to there, like twice as many scenes as an ordinary story would happen. Right, most stories, most ideas don't have legs like that. You can only get, you know, maybe three four scenes the most out of it. But this one had so many legs that it covered the entire episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm in awe of your writing on this episode because I always refer to it, but I always referring to that hiking. This is your truly net hike in you know, car fifty four, where you don't know where it's going to end, even though because the connections we're you're about to get a rash, like, how did that? You know, steps and steps, and I find that fastening. He's the only the writer who I've said, you know, that's a nice compliment. It is for any of you at home. Just google net hiking. I don't want to explain.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Susie's here, take the head off and the music is so great on this takes the head off, sticks it in his pants and I'm screaming, you're supposed to call first, And I walk in and you're pretending to put the shelf on, which was an accident. Again, that was, you know, And I noticed for myself this is really the first beginning of the Susie Green. Look, I've got the animal print vest, I've got a goal. Then I think, so there was little hints of it before, but this is this is season two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember supervising what you wore. I was really on top of it the first couple of seasons. I look out. I go, no, it's too much, it's too much, it's too much. And then finally I just gave up.
Speaker 4: I gave up. Now every time we work, we have no idea and it's a surprise. Don't care the one you wore yesterday with the side loops. Yeah, the orange outfit was pure insanity.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But when I come on set, there's always a reveal.
Speaker 2: It's always funny.
Speaker 3: So you're pretending to put the shelf up and you say to me, I'm like, what are you doing here? What are you doing here? And you say to Sammy's shelf was always bothered, always.
Speaker 2: Worrying, you thinking about the shelf that's going.
Speaker 3: To Larry put up all the shelves in his house, which is the most un.
Speaker 4: That's where the show goes. It's like someone says something. You go, oh, I can make this, and I.
Speaker 3: Say, what are you misster California closets.
Speaker 2: You know, the idea of you're putting up all the shelves. It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: And then I say to what do you think?
Speaker 2: Have you ever put up a shelf in my life?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: A shelf.
Speaker 5: I've never even held a shelf.
Speaker 3: Have you ever hung a picture back on forty third Street?
Speaker 5: Forty third Street? All the pictures were on the floor, Okay, there was nothing on the wall, nothing. Every picture was leaning leaning on the ground against the wall.
Speaker 3: And then I say to you, you think I didn't notice you, mister inconspicuous at the screening. And then okay, part two, I bring up part two again.
Speaker 5: You maybe I have to keep setting up part two because it's so crazy.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe I'll go maybe. And then you're in the car.
Speaker 4: Told that in a second, the idea that there is a part two and that's a week apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is so funny, so funny.
Speaker 3: It's not a week apart.
Speaker 5: Next day, day, next day.
Speaker 2: Because I was watching it, think what that is?
Speaker 3: You have to go back the next day. And then you're in the car and you pull the dolls head out of your pants and there's a little itch down.
Speaker 5: There going on from synthetic hair.
Speaker 3: And then Sammy screams. Talk about the casting of Sammy audition audition. She was adorable.
Speaker 4: But my favorite thing that you did before we get to Sammy screaming when we're driving in the car, you broke a record for saying the word penis, penis. This, I gotta look at my penis or at the next scene.
Speaker 3: That's the next scene.
Speaker 2: Tuck me, Okay, but I still love that.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back, stay tuned. Okay, we're back. Sammy screams, Mommy someone caught off, Judy said, which again shows what a horrible father you are that you thought you would never know it.
Speaker 4: That's why when I said my daughter's got it, don't worry, I thought, this is of course going to screw him up. But by the way, I'm a subtle asshole on the ship, just subtle. You see it in an explosive way after I've done it. But when I suggest Hilary, I'm about to do something, it tickles him. Really, you're going to do that, you know, especially my affairs? What's wrong you? Okay, go do that. And by the way, one of the cardinal rules I have in life is if I have a friend and they're having an affair, please don't tell me. I don't want to be exchanging way. It's disastrous. You want to do ship like that, keep that to yourself because I'm not going to be a part of your festival.
Speaker 3: Has anybody ever asked you to, like, you know, use your home or anything.
Speaker 4: Never a home, But people have told me that they're having affairs, And right away I go, why the fuck did you do that?
Speaker 2: Why did you do that?
Speaker 4: You know? Have you ever had anyone tell you.
Speaker 5: Not like confide some big secret, but just a very matter of factly.
Speaker 2: Right right right right right, like they were saying they.
Speaker 3: Were going to a nick game, you know, yeah, yeah, going to see my guma. Yeah, all right. So you bring the head to Anne Michaelson and she's, you know, suspicious. All right, it looks okay, I'll take it upstairs and make sure her up Again.
Speaker 4: Something we passed over is you doing carry grant to the little girl. But she has no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Judy, Judy, Judy. So she's going to go upstairs and you say, may I use your bathroom? You start to follow her upstairs because even when there's no one in the house, you don't want to use the powder room with no lock, and she points the hole.
Speaker 2: Hold on.
Speaker 4: That is fucking hilarious. That your assumption that you can go up there and use the little bit.
Speaker 5: I went to the girls room the last time, right, I don't want to use the powder room there's no lock. Made perfect sense, no, but it was really funny.
Speaker 3: And the locksmith is fixing the lock, and that was of course Jonas.
Speaker 2: Dear Jonas, dear Jonas.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Oh, by the way, Jonas was on our crew for so many years. And yeah, so sometimes we cast crew members because they're fucking perfect, Like he was perfect for the locksmith and he already knew the show inherently. I'm not going to try and be funny. I'm going to be matter of fact because Larry does the funny lift.
Speaker 5: But was it was really good? Really a couple of lines.
Speaker 3: We've also noticed several times up until this point, George, our prop master, was used as a person the.
Speaker 4: Water splashing in the shack up is and he's in there twice. And at the watch McCall with the asking for advice when you're trying to put a tire on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Anne Michaelson comes in the head is fixed, and this is where you go into the whole discussion about that she's gifted. This is this is a great thing.
Speaker 5: She tells me how gifted her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you say it's a shame she didn't know the hair it was a good growback.
Speaker 5: She's so brilliant, Yet she didn't know that the dolls hare.
Speaker 4: That is another character. You won't let people throw you bullshit. You won't. It's truly And by the way, who hasn't encountered an asshole like that about how special.
Speaker 3: He said, murmured, well, one of my pet peeves is when people start telling me how gifted that children are. I don't want to hear how gifted your fucking children are, you know?
Speaker 4: And by the way, most children that are very gifted do not do well as an adult.
Speaker 2: I read a whole thing, oh really, in bullshit magazine.
Speaker 4: No, I read it.
Speaker 2: I think the times I don't know. And then do you like the fun facts I throw in?
Speaker 5: You fascinating?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: And then you guys leave and you were driving up the driveway to Larry's house, and who's there waiting for you?
Speaker 7: Where's the head?
Speaker 3: I know you took the doll's head?
Speaker 7: Where is it?
Speaker 3: Where's the fucking head?
Speaker 5: That that? Now, this one is an iconic scene.
Speaker 3: It is exactly the spaghetti western music is playing, which I was upset to realize that you. I thought it was my theme. It had been played earlier for thor but then it became my Yeah, then.
Speaker 5: It became your theme.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so did you pick that or did Steve? Steve? Oh, brilliant move.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, brilliant move. And where's the head? And this scene just plays out.
Speaker 4: Because you're speaking like the Susie when no now in a big way.
Speaker 3: And it's really I mean, well, we had the thor episode before this, where I was somewhat in that shade, but I think really this scene really established the fear that Jeff and Larry lived a stamp on.
Speaker 4: This is the journey we're going to have with.
Speaker 5: So totally justified what you were saying. Yeah, yeah, we took you were we took Judy's head.
Speaker 3: And imagine, you know, from my point of view, why why would you take a doll's head out of your daughter's daughter?
Speaker 5: It makes no sense whatsoever. It's so insane. Think about it from your point of view.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's completely insane. That's why I say some votos got.
Speaker 5: We took We took a doll's head from your daughter. How could you possibly imagine what it could have been doing? What is it?
Speaker 3: And it sets up that has been going on for twelve seasons where you two were trying to put something off, put something over on me, which is just ridiculous and it never works and you live in fear of Susie Green And it's one of, of course, one of my favorite scenes.
Speaker 4: By the way, at the time it was one of our because remember we got in the car and drove off and we're going, wow, wow, is that great?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really.
Speaker 3: I also remember in that scene when I say stop scratching your balls and tell me where it is. That wasn't looping, And that was the first time I looped. Oh really, Yes, that was in looping because you needed that for story purpose to further along. I didn't actually say that in the episode. So that's an example. Now wow, And people always ask that question, is it all improvised? And that's an example of a time when a line was not improvised because it was needed for story.
Speaker 4: Rare.
Speaker 3: It's rare, but sometimes it's needed for story purposes. And then you get into the edge.
Speaker 5: So now this becomes a little a bit of a problem for me just in writing, because now I have to go back to Rita Wilson, Yeah, and see if she has the the doll, the original hair, the cut hair, the short hair, and so now so now it's like, oh, long hair, short hair.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 5: It's getting confusing. How much do we have to emphasize this that that became a bit of a problem to go back and if the is the audience still following this. Now I have to go back to her house and ask if she has the doll whose hair I cut off the head.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it was in this next scene when you're in the car that you start talking about your penishitches and at the record.
Speaker 4: For penis talk, and I love the way you're just casually saying, I gotta clean my penis, I gotta get examined. I don't want to go to the penis doctor, like it was just penis, penis, penis.
Speaker 3: And you say you've got an allergic reaction, my friend. Yeah, yeah, you go to the doctor, say, oh, I stuck a dolls.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: One thing that we skipped that really was another thing that we rode for a long time was when we left the house, you screamed at us, your bald piece of ship. I believe fat and I'm a fat fuck.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 4: No, but the point thing is, I don't remember that happening before this.
Speaker 3: I think that's well know in the wire, I call you a fat fuck.
Speaker 2: Okay, you didn't call him a bald piece of shit.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's the first time I referenced you bald.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: But I said you bald, fucking you fat piece of ship. That's what I said. I think it is because I was only in two episodes this season.
Speaker 5: Oh is that right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, okay. So then you go back to Anne's house to ask for the short hair.
Speaker 6: I was wondering, this is gonna sound a little crazy. Do you have the the shorthired head, the one that I that I cut right?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 7: You want the short haired Judy head?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why would you want that short haired Judy?
Speaker 7: Ahead?
Speaker 1: Like it, you know, And.
Speaker 3: She's like, why why would you want that? You're like, I like it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, insanity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And while she goes to up to the kids to see if she still has the short hair version, you go to the bathroom to check your penis because you've got an irritation there, and the whole monitor walks in on you, of course, and then Jonas the locksmith shows up. You said, I thought you fixed it. I have to go get some parts, which is soapersorb because it was like a simple little pushluck Like, what parts? What?
Speaker 5: I've never trusted a pushlock, really, yeah, I don't trust them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the bolt lock?
Speaker 5: You give me, give me a bolt.
Speaker 4: And by the way, Jonah's played that perfectly, not non plus that Larry could give a ship. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So she gives you the short hair head back and you get the new head and you bring it to me and say, all right, I got the head and I'm like, nah, something's wrong. Yeah something is that right? I don't know.
Speaker 5: You thought it was okay, but yeah, something it's some suspicious and it's not it's not really working. It's seen. Really made me laugh last night when I was watching it. The two idiots at the door. Yeah, I'm standing behind him and we're both kind of talking at the same time.
Speaker 2: And when I got in you can see it in my face.
Speaker 5: Please don't notice.
Speaker 2: Don't notice.
Speaker 3: And the dynamic of the relationship of the three of us continuing till now have at scene the other day with such a it's such a great relations fun. So next we're at the screening part two.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry the screening part two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: And Jeff asked, you, is your assistancyeing anybody? It's like, just so gross.
Speaker 2: I am a scumback. That's my character, and you know.
Speaker 3: And the Michaelsons show up with Tara, and Tara has the Judy doll, and I see the doll, and I see the long hair, and then I realize what it was to connect the dots, connect the dots, and I love that that The rest of it is mined.
Speaker 4: But you're miming it. But there there isn't anybody for a million miles around that doesn't know what voice is coming out of that you feel.
Speaker 3: So we've established that. Yeah, and I'm just I know what you two idiots? Did you know? You cut the hair? You thick fucking I love that scene. And then you go to the bathroom and the men's room is an olfactory nightmare.
Speaker 4: Well done. That was the first time I had heard that phrase. I've heard a few times since. What is the what does that mean?
Speaker 5: Smell? An old factory factor has to do with your sense of smell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I mean somebody took a dump in there and it was disgusting. And you asked Cheryl to go look in the women's room because you got to pee because you're constantly drinking water. So Cheryl looks in the women's room, all clear. You asked her to stand guard. But this is the subtle Cheryl revenge where she you just see it on her.
Speaker 4: Face, she has a smile and walks away.
Speaker 3: Smile, walks away, nothing needs to be said. It was the same thing in the end of the episode we did the other day, that Trick a Treat episode, same kind of thing where Cheryl just smiles because you just drive up to the house and this is her momentre She's gonna fuck you.
Speaker 5: I really like that Trick a Treat episode.
Speaker 3: It was a very funny episode.
Speaker 5: I love that scene outside with the cops.
Speaker 3: When we did that episode, we were talking about how fantastic Scrove Van Wasn't that great? He was great in that episode. We talked about that.
Speaker 2: Grove Van comedian writer that we all know.
Speaker 3: Cheryl leaves and then you have a moment it's like, well, you want the bottle of water and the screening with you, so what do you do? You put it down your pants.
Speaker 4: But by the way he was walking out and everything would be okay, yeah, big ginddy bink.
Speaker 2: And you turn around to get the water and shove it down.
Speaker 5: I want to I want to take the water into the theater. I don't want that woman to win. I wanted I wanted to have water.
Speaker 3: That's right, and nothing wrong with having water in the theater. It's got a closed top.
Speaker 5: I don't like being told. I don't like being told what to do.
Speaker 3: And Tara comes running in and she's like, oh, I love the doll the dolls.
Speaker 4: Wait the thing about her As she comes in, she's very confused about Larry bing in the bathroom, and like a switch, she's the happy little.
Speaker 3: Girl, delightful little girl, thank you for fixing Judy's hair, and she hugs you, and yeah, by bummy, that bollman in the bathroom and there's something hard in his pants and horrified people's sounds. Here are all the people too, Yeah, all the villagers, all.
Speaker 4: The villagers in like a universal horror mone exactly, and you rant to jump out the window and fade out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's one of those endings that just worked out perfectly, perfectly.
Speaker 3: So you didn't start with the end in this So tell about when you ran into her research. It's just like about a year ago you ran into this girl. It was when you were doing the thing at the Greek Theater. Yeah, yeah, Bob, Bob Whitey, Yeah, we directed this episode.
Speaker 5: Directed the episode. He was interviewing me the Greek and nuns to me he wanted to surprise me, and he brought the girl who played Tara, who is now an adult. It's almost thirty, I think. And she came up on stage and you know, we had a little job.
Speaker 3: And what did she say about it?
Speaker 5: I asked her if I had traumatized her full life by having to say that line. And she wasn't traumatized at all. She loved the experience of doing it, and she seems to have turned out great.
Speaker 3: Is she an actress?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's an actress. Really, Yeah, I'd like to use her again. We should Yeah, we should use that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's the episode, and it's to me it is one of the most perfect half hours of comedy in the history. Well look at you, well, I think so it's a perfect half hour.
Speaker 5: Pretty great too, Yeah, yeah, that's what. That's why I wanted to if I had one show to do, you do it?
Speaker 3: Friend?
Speaker 2: I have? Yeah, no future, But let me ask you a question here. Have you ever been to Disneyland? Yeah? Did you go on any of the rides?
Speaker 5: I went on? The Tea Cups.
Speaker 2: Perfectly lead to go.
Speaker 4: If there's one ride I would go on, it would be the Tea Cups. My god, Oh that's beautiful. I picture you, of course on the tea cups. I did it once and threw up the cups you threw up. Oh no, that's dizzying. You know they spend around.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't I don't like the.
Speaker 2: But that's why it's funny that he did it.
Speaker 3: Was there a reason you asked that question?
Speaker 4: No, I just know when I asked him things with Larry, hairs with Larry when I'm around him, when we do our conversation on Stay. I'm an investigative reporter, okay, and I want to ask the questions that I know and my way. Can I be honest with you? I've never asked him a question like that that hasn't led to something amazing. And so in my mind right there, and I went, I'm trying to picture Larry at Disneyland. You know, things pop in my mind, and I know it's gonna be interesting. A if he's been there or not? And then B did you go on a ride? And then who the fuck expects the tea cup? You're a big bowl of gold.
Speaker 2: You fuck her?
Speaker 3: And thank you for coming?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, Larry, my pleasure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So well we'll let you know, when you're needed extent. By the way, it's always your option not to.
Speaker 3: But you know, I think maybe the ski lift. Yeah, but that's so many seasons later.
Speaker 2: Well that's four.
Speaker 3: I think four, five, five, five, yeah, five, one of my favorite seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: By the way, was it Larry David in the what and hipsters? Fuck? And you know what, when you delivered that line, you immediately looked at me. I think you sensed, and of course I exploded because Larry David sh upstairs. Fuck.
Speaker 5: Thanks. Okay.
Speaker 3: The History of carp Your Enthusiasm is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.