Speaker 1: So after about a week and a bit. It's actually pretty funny. Mac texted me about maybe a week after he had the putter, and all the sext message to say was Lucas is gonna win with this putter. And that was like, that was probably the week of Rocket Mortgage, so that was still three four weeks before he actually won, but he was like, Lucas is gonna win with this putter.
Speaker 2: Put another log on the fire Nobody here is given time.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the fire pit with Matt Chanella.
Speaker 4: If you're just joining us, you've missed quite a bit. In short, in order to address a bad case of the yips, in twenty twelve, a guy by the name of Bill Pressy went into his garage and emerged with game changing technology. His revealer led Pressey to building the original directed force putter. No one said it was easy on the eyes, but it was lowering scores and last I checked, as it relates to golf, that matters. On that note, quality matters to Dormy Workshop, the Canadian based company that is coming up on ten years of making handmade leather goods such as custom headcovers and accessories for Dormy's complete collection. Of originals, headcovers and classics. Go to Dormy workshop dot com and use promo code fire Pit fifteen for fifteen percent off your next purchase.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: We start this episode in January of twenty twenty three with lab Golf, the boutique putter company on the rise. Pressey's Revealer was revealing Liam Bedford, Lab's tour rep was repping Sam Hahn, the CEO, since buying a portion of the company in twenty eighteen, salvaged the business and was growing the future one fitting at a time. Meanwhile, Lucas Glover, a twenty year tour pro, was battling a bad case of the yips and was stuck at the back of the pack of almost every putting stat As lab Golf was taking off, Glover forty three at the time, seemed as though he was dropping the landing gear on his career, which included four wins and one US Open. Here's Michael Simms, Glover's longtime friend and occasional caddy.
Speaker 6: When you don't know why or what or it doesn't it's so freshing because you don't know how to. I don't want to say diagnose it, because you know what's happening, but you don't know what to do with it.
Speaker 4: To see anyone at any level and at any course in the world battling the yips is one thing. But to see a tour pro go through it on TV, zoomed in and slowed down, and in some cases going as far as what is best described as push putting for his living. Not to mention all sorts of pressures mounting, well, you wouldn't wish it upon your worst enemy.
Speaker 6: And that's like, you know where Mac comes in, and you know Max sitting there, he is following so many things, and he came across this guy, Jason Kuhn. And I mean I've never met Jason or talked to him. I've just listened to some of the stuff that he's put out there, and obviously through conversations with other players that we have with him, you know, his story is very special.
Speaker 4: As sim says, Kuhn's story is special, and it's covered in episode six of this series. Cut to April of twenty twenty three, Glover's manager, friend and life coach Mac Barnhart convinces Glover to connect with Kuhn, a former Navy seal sniper who's having success helping athletes overcome the yips.
Speaker 6: You know, we're always taught it's a mental thing, right. I mean, I don't know about you, but my whole life, if you got the yips, it's it's got to be a mental thing. It's got to be a mental thing. So it was really really refreshing to hear somebody come out and be like, it's not a mental thing. I just did all these I just did all of this, and I know I'm mentally strong enough to handle what I have in front of me. Something else is glitching the system.
Speaker 4: And after only three sessions with Kohn, everyone in Glover's camp, most notably Glover, was starting to see and feel a way out of golf's deep dark cave of yip's despair. But before we get to Glover's mental reset, a putter change, an inspiring re routing of the back half of his playing career, and the details of his tour had run from late spring and through the summer. Here's Glover in September of twenty twenty three on his life and longtime grind.
Speaker 5: On that note, Lucas, how are you man?
Speaker 7: I'm good?
Speaker 8: How about you doing well?
Speaker 9: Where are you now I'm at home.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's been.
Speaker 4: Nice, a blanket congratulations on so many things, not only sort of you know, hoisted trophies, but just that whole, this whole process, because I can only imagine what we can only imagine what you've what you've been going through physically, spiritually, emotionally, mentally.
Speaker 5: I mean, my god.
Speaker 7: Yeah, been a long run, but a good one.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: It's one of those situations where you preaching to your kids and people around you that you know, stay with it and perseverance and all that, and then to be able to show that it actually works. Hard work and dedication and determination et cetera, et cetera actually can pay off. So it will eventually. So it's been Uh, it's been fun. It's been a good ride.
Speaker 4: As you process and look back as you are now going to move forward, is there something to be said about just that where this is also a little bit about not only proving to yourself again that hard work campaign, but it is about like proving to your kids or showing your kids. It's like I'm saying this, I'm but I'm actually practicing what I preach.
Speaker 5: Is there is there something.
Speaker 7: To that hundred percent Yeah, my my son's ate and just starting uh his first team playing ice hockey believe it or not in South Florida. But uh, and my daughter, my daughter's in softball and basketball. And yeah, my wife krist and I have both been preaching pretty hard the last couple of years, them getting into sports and school and and different things. You know, even at eight and ten, this is where they start their their work habits, and and and and all that stuff. And then to be able to say, see, this is this is what happens. And you know, if you want something and you're determined to go get it, that that that it's attainable.
Speaker 9: But it's not. Uh, it's not.
Speaker 7: It's not easy, and it's not supposed to be. There's always somebody working. There's always somebody, you know, reading another book in in second grade. There's a always somebody hitting more softballs. There's always somebody hitting more golf balls, no matter what sport or what walk of life. As as people, you know, talent can only take you so far. It can get you where you where you may want to go. But but if you want the next level, or want more success than just talent alone, you have to you have to work for that, for for those goals and and and that's where, yeah, you said it dead on. It's perfect practice what you preach, especially to your to to to your kids. And and we've had that conversation a lot with ours because there's krist and I are both athletic, and they've been blessed with some athletic genes. I think, you know, we're not we're not making them play. We're letting them do what they want and find what they want, but also trying to prove to them that and show them that you that you have to work at it and work for it. And and you know that study and that sport, that's you know, that's being a good person. They're their manners everything. You got to work at it, you gotta practice it, You got to be determined to go get it.
Speaker 4: Who in your life has given you what you need to be able to do what you've just done? Like, where does that come from?
Speaker 7: Oh, my grandfather for sure, tough love generation. But he he was an athlete, played football, baseball at Clemson Ransom Track at Clemson, uh played professional football for the Steelers, came home and then played played Textile League baseball, which was a thing in the South where I grew up, all the all the textile mills had a team. And so he came home from Pittsburgh after his football career was over, played baseball. But it was it was it was tough love as a kid, and then as a as a team in college it was more more of a just support and pushing. But but as a kid it was similar conversations we've been having with our children about working and working hard, and uh, my wife and I've had conversations her dad was similar generation with basketball. Krystal was a outstanding basketball player in high school and could have played college, just chose not to. But but for me, it was my grandfather. You know, growing up, my mom had five brothers and I think at one time they're combined handicapped. Was was single digits, so uh, it was kind of in the blood a little bit. But but the work ethic and uh, the the personal determination and the personal belief was definitely him.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 7: He you know, turned from sports to business and and was determined to form a form a business to support his six kids and wife. And and he did that too just from hard work and dedication and self belief and you know, always been my hero always been my role model. Passed away a few years ago at eighty eight. Lived the heck of a life and you know, one of those things think about every day. And and then my relationship with the with the Harmons, the Harmon family and worked with Dick until he passed. But h and he was a bit of the same way, you know. He he actually had a hand and softening my grandfather a little bit to me, more of behind the scenes. You know, I know you're you want what's best for him, and so do I. But let's uh, let's let's let him work, and let's let him be a kid, and let's let him be a teenager and things like that. But very blessed to have so many people around me that wanted what was best for me and and I had many people do it in there certain ways, but it always seemed to work. And you know, similar to to to Mike Marnhart, my my manager since two thousand and one. He's he's a little more spiritual than than than say my grandfather or but opens my eyes to different ways to look at things. And that's always good to have people around you like that, not just for sport, but for for just life. And uh, I think it's very cool to see now with my children and how many people are influencing them and opening their eyes to different ways to look at things. But yeah, that my grandfather definitely instilled that determination and work ethic and it took me a little while to to understand that you can't nearly treat a twelve year old like a twenty year old. But uh, you know, and I'm I'm catching myself a little bit with my son because I want, I want him to go, go, go, but also have to turn around saying, man, he's eight, he wants to play video game instead of instead of skating. That's okay too, but you know, kids got to live. It's got to be kids. And you know, I look back at all the people that influenced me and and I'm trying to make sure my kids have the opportunity to have a lot of people around them to do the same.
Speaker 4: We heard from Mac Barnhardt of Rock Sports in part six and got a history of their relationship.
Speaker 10: I mean, you know, you watch them play, you meet the parents, you're around the coaches, you run his teammates, but just he and I sitting in a restaurant, dinner's over, and just I knew then, I'm like, you know this, this guy's different. We you know, we became very close friends real quick. He had the kind of same southern upbringing I had. His dad played pro baseball, you know, and my dad played pro baseball, and we just had it wasn't like a lot of the other golfers that I dealt with. He had a little different mode.
Speaker 4: In Part six, Barnhart also broke down Glovers highs and lows of his career, the most notable high being has went at the two thousand and nine US Open at Bethpage Black. Now back to Glover for his perspective, What have been some of your most notable highs, your own personal highs that you're most proud of.
Speaker 7: Well, obvious answer would be the US Opening on nine, And I've referenced it many many times that I wanted that to be a springboard. I wanted that to be a you know, in the immediate aftermath, you know, obviously you're you're dealing with the highs of it, but you didn't really want it to be a one hit wonder. So fast forward six weeks to the PG eight Hazel team, and I got back in contention, and that was one of those situations where it's like, all right, well that's a that's a that's a big thing to get back in it in a major and and just say all right that that wasn't just a fluke. I haven't contended that much after that. But but looking back on that summer getting back in the mix, you know, I've kind of faded away there on the Sunday, but getting back in the mix a little bit there, and to be able to finish that week and just say, you know, we were kind of back in it and on the biggest stage again. And I look back at that as a gratifying moment because of the mentality that I had that I didn't want it to be just I just did that once and I'm never going to be back. And but things like that where you where you try to treat something as a as a motivation or a springboard or something like that, and then to be able to do it or prove it, or prove yourself or prove it to other people is uh is things I look back on that that that are that are really cool. And then obviously a couple of presidents cups always highlight and set goals to make those teams, because that means you played really really good for a couple of years, did that No. Seven and O nine and some of the best two weeks I've ever had on the golf course. Off of golf course too, just being with h guys you try to try to beat the rest of the year, and then to be able to team up with them and pick their brains and you know why they do things a certain way, And I think learn a lot from being in those situations.
Speaker 4: That must have something to do with growing up playing team sports, right when you can take the sport that you ultimately end up playing, which ends up being an individualistic sport combined with what you probably loved about being a part of baseball and team sports, and combining those two things has got to be probably what means more to maybe something someone like you versus like a Tiger who grew up or a field grew up playing golf, you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, of course, I just yeah, for sure. I think being around the team sports team aspects of golf or of other sports and then mixing it into golf was very you know, like I said, why I set those goals and a very cool experience because I remember as a kid playing baseball or basketball or anything, and you could say, hey, man, why do you you know when you see that pitch, why do you do it this way? And try to learn from a teammate that maybe be better at something, and then kind of mix that into golf. I remember I remember picking Stricker's brain about putting years ago, and then just observing Tiger how he went about his work and just doing different. Then you get the up close personal view of of guys that are that are you know, either better or as good, depending on who you are, obviously, and then you can possibly take some things from that to to get better.
Speaker 4: Talk me through some of the lowest of lows for you, some of the moments. Have you ever allowed yourself to think I'm done? Have you ever allowed if that, has that ever crept in throughout this process of what you've gone through since two thousand and nine to twenty twenty three.
Speaker 7: Yeah, of course, you know, like you said, I like you a little bit of an older dad. And bottom line is, you know, my job at the end of the day is to support my family. And there were some there were some times where I wasn't doing that, and so of course I didn't want to have to think that way, but it was it was one of those things where I wasn't getting it done and might have to consider doing doing something different or something else. And it wasn't one of those things where I didn't believe I could do it. It was just one of those things where this is reality. Now you know, it's not just me, and so like, you know, that's what made the last few months so gratifying, was now I'm able to do some things differently, but never gave up on the belief that I could do it, just didn't know how long it would take and had to consider doing some different stuff.
Speaker 8: What did you consider, h I don't know.
Speaker 7: I didn't really ever have to get there, luckily, but you know, there were times where it was in the back of my mind that you know, this isn't going I wanted to go, and struggling, struggling at home and going too much, et cetera, et cetera, and you know, put a put a pretty good fight up about it. But you know, it was always in the back of my head. But the determination and the self belief never went away. But you can't make a family wait around forever.
Speaker 4: You take something that's hard, which is the game of golf, and then you layer in all these other elements of you know, questions and put plundents and talking heads and and you know, uh social Jabbroni's that are behind a veil, and you know, you know what I mean, Like all of this stuff is happening. How hard was it to shield and blind all that out and stay true to you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, very very especially the height of you know, just embarrassing myself on the greens and different stuff like that. But at the end of it, all those people, if they could trade places with me, probably would to be able to play the game of golf for for you know, thirty weeks a year for for a job. And I had to keep reminding myself the people that that seem to have a voice as you call them Jibebroni's.
Speaker 9: And.
Speaker 7: They've probably never had to face the pressure and that that are that sports and athletes go through. If they did, they wouldn't talk the way they did or the way they do. And I still remind myself of that, and I still say that to other people that they say, hey, man, you know, I'm struggling with this and that, and you know, these people and are worried about how I'm going to play and worry about how I'm going to look. And I said, well, you know, at the end of the day, those people that are going to criticize you and probably make fun of you online wish they were you. So And the reason they're making fun of you and picking on you and saying the things they're saying on Twitter and all this other stuff is because they probably stink at golf. And you know, just had to remind myself of that, said, look, nobody, I mean everybody trade with you, and you know, it's kind of comforting. You know, they're they're saying awful, stupid things because they're they're jealous. Really, I mean, nobody would, you know, I think a lot of people would trade positions with the professional golfer and rightly so. It's a really, really, really awesome way to go about trying to make a living.
Speaker 4: As it relates to inside the ropes when it's just you and your caddy, but ultimately it's just you. Is the ball striking is it?
Speaker 9: Is?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 4: Is it your success of how many you know, fair ways you hit and how many greens you hit that that and the fact that you can keep your card and keep being a professional, is that what kind of ultimately keeps you going through some of this stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Yeah, it was always just you know, I'm I'm still doing number one. I'm still doing what I love. Number two, I'm still doing it pretty good. There were times where you know, obviously it's good and obviously it's terrible, but that's golf and my sport life and everything else. But yeah, it was it got to the point where it was, if I can just get this putting thing figured out, because I'm still hitting the ball nice, I still hit it far enough. I'm not a bomber anymore, but I'm not short by any means. But I just had to get the putting stuff figured out. And the more that became apparent, and the more it became obvious to me is you know, obviously, honestly, the harder it got because it was such just such a downer. But yeah, I always had my ball striking in my determination to kind of fall back on. But it was just, you know, you got to get in the hole.
Speaker 4: Getting the ball close to the hole came easy for Glover in twenty twenty twenty one, he was thirty seventh in hitting the green in regulation and eleventh in proximity to the hole. He was one hundred and eighty ninth in strokes gained putting, one hundred and eighty seventh in putts per round, one hundred and seventy seventh in one put percentage, and one hundred and sixty eighth in putting average. What is the starting point of what starts to become the success you've had nowhere? Where does it start?
Speaker 5: In your mind?
Speaker 7: Startling Jason back in the spring late spring, and just him making me understand that what the yifts actually is and what how it happens, what it does to the body, and then him basically insisting and proving that to do what I've been doing for the length of time I've been doing it with the yips and to still be out on tour and doing it is actually being very mentally strong and mentally tough. And then understanding that it is beatable, it is attackable. We don't just have to sit here and let it happen. It may be unconventional. Some of the things we worked on.
Speaker 4: Again in part six of this series. We heard a lot from Jason Kuhn, former Navy seal who very eloquently and articulately spoke about his personal experience with the YIPS as a baseball player, which ended his playing career. Kuhn went on to be a Navy Seal sniper, which is how and why he realized the YIPS could not be because he was mentally weak, which inspired him to attack the symptoms of the YIPS, get a better understanding of what they are, and then apply those experiences and that knowledge to baseball players like Tyler Matzik of the Braves, who went from being out of baseball to pitching in and winning a World Series right from the jump. Glover was benefiting from Koon's coaching.
Speaker 11: This guy has already been incredibly successful. He's a really good golfer. We're going to solve the YIPS. Will enhance or refresh on the mindset by sharing my experiences. And it's not like they're not applying this already. So when I was a Seal, I was applying mental toughness every day, but I couldn't tell you what it was, you know, But now I can by thinking back on those experiences, reverse engineering and then putting articulation to it and then just translating it to the other competitive environment. So we're just pouring fuel on the fire, giving them a higher level understanding of mental toughness team first mind, how to fail, never quit, you know, sources of confidence, toughness, courage, identity and ego, all of that. And then you put that package together with the YIPS, free training and the ironing it out and boom, you know, there you go.
Speaker 4: The package they were putting together included a new tool.
Speaker 7: After three or four weeks, three or four sessions with him, this new putter idea came. You know, Mack pushed a little bit in facts and hey, let's just let's just try it. And I had two weeks off around the PGA and mentioned it to Jason Tune and he said, hey, man, let's let's go.
Speaker 9: Let's try it.
Speaker 7: We got some time and and it just clicked.
Speaker 4: Back to mac Bernhard. Was it you who came to Lucas about lab or did Lucas come to you about lab and say get me a putter.
Speaker 10: I think it was Lucas that came. I think he had seen Scotty Adam Scott do it. I think it was him. It had to have been because I didn't really know much. I mean, I knew about him, but I didn't you know, let's a.
Speaker 9: Player introduces me to something.
Speaker 10: I'm not getting in to tell them, let's try a different putter.
Speaker 9: That's not my style.
Speaker 10: They'll they come tell me. But I think it was Lucas and that probably came from from.
Speaker 9: Brad Faxon or Jason and his guys in there.
Speaker 4: Adam Scott, your relationship with him, watching him, you know, it did that factor into ultimately how you came about saying, yeah, let's give me one of those.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, it was more of I know him the same height as him, or about the same height as him, and just send me one, Send me whatever he uses and I'll figure it out. That's honestly the conversation I had with Mac and what he said to the rep. He goes, he doesn't want to know anything. He just knows he and Adam are about the same size, and Adam looks great over the ball, and he wants to try one, and they sent it. And I spent a couple of days in the garage working on a dress, and you know, trying to figure out how to get somewhat square and comfortable and then took it out on the green and went from there.
Speaker 5: Did you have a conversation with Adam.
Speaker 9: No, No, I didn't.
Speaker 7: I watched I watched watch his set up on YouTube and then a little video of macare and on YouTube, and so that's all.
Speaker 9: That's all I want.
Speaker 7: After that, I'm gonna figure it out. And I just wanted to. I wanted it to be that new. I wanted it to be that foreign to where just a couple of little things to get the the fundamentals and the most you know, important things you know down and then then figure it out online.
Speaker 5: And that that checked out with you.
Speaker 4: You kind of ran that by Jason, that basically checked out on this process that you were on simultaneously. It was like, I'm figuring this out and this will be the tool that I use as I go forward.
Speaker 9: Correct.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean we were. We were all in on beating it with the short one, but I didn't have time to go through the whole bit, the whole you know, fourteen to fifteen session experience with Jason, which I do believe would have eventually beating it. This was a way to do it faster since I was literally in the middle of the season, and yeah, he he said, yeah, this this can't do anything but help. He goes, He goes, but you've got to go all in. You got to be you got to be you got to be committed to it. And if we're going to make the change, we're going to make it and we're not going back. But it was very very Navy seal mentality of if we're making this decision, it's your decision, and we're riding with it, and then we'll use what we've done so far and then we'll keep going and this is the right thing to do.
Speaker 4: Back to Jason Kuhn, just the actual putter itself, you know, did you look at that as as something that could help you and him get to where he needed to go to?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think it exponentiated the time and results that we needed. I think I think he would have gotten the regardless. So my goal when I work with a player is whether it's big spall or golf or any of the sports. But baseball and golf have been the only ones that have hired me so far. I think that my goal for them. I tell them, I don't want you to just be able to throw clean again. I want you to fall in love with throwing again or striking the ball. I want you to be able to throw or putt. We'll just stay with golf. So I want you to be able to putt with any putter in any situation, at any point in time. That's my goal as a coach to you. Now we're gonna, you know, depending on the situation and the amount of time we have the train and you know, if they have an ability to take themselves off of the competitive play and then reinsert. Lucas didn't have that option. He's got to play, right, So that was a that was tremendously helpful. So I think that, Yeah, my goal is for them to be able to use any putter, any one's putter, and any situation at any time and fall in love with that action again what they what they love to do and growing up. That's what we're going to However, tactically, yeah, those switches can make pretty quick results, I think, and then golf you have the luxury to be able to do that. I don't think that's going to be consistent across the board. I think some people are going to switch putters and they're still going to feel that that hitch and that's going to be dependent on the various experiences and situations of that player.
Speaker 4: It's now the first few days of June in twenty twenty three, Glover is in Ohio for Jack Nicholas's tournament.
Speaker 7: So it gave me the chance to take the things Jason had taught me up to date, and then this whole new motor skill. And then you know, of course, the first thing people say with a long putter is your speed's gonna be tough. It's gonna be tough with that as well. Take this thing to Memorial with some of the fastest, slopigest greens we got and just throw it right in the fire. And I missed the cut, but it wasn't because of the way I putt it. I actually putt it beautifully.
Speaker 4: Glover shots seventy four to seventy seven. But as he said, there seemed to be progress back to Michael Simms.
Speaker 6: Even at the Memorial the first week you brought it out, it looked like he was putting good, and I'm like, there's something to this. So you know, Jason Kuhne and then all of a sudden he's playing with one of these things. I mean, I really don't care how it happened, but it did, and that's that's the best part about it.
Speaker 4: Glover was done at Jack's Place on June second, but stayed in Columbus, Ohio for the final stage of US Open qualifying on June fifth. Sam Hahn of lab Golf was paying close attention.
Speaker 8: It's where the story gets really cool for me and where it diverts from you know, some tour pro you know kind of experiences we've had in the past. I'm watching Golf Channel coverage on Golf's longest day US Open qualifying day, and they're they're going around and going all the different sites and talking about everybody who's doing this and doing that. I was stoked because a local kid here actually ended up qualifying, and so I'm excited about that. We had a couple other couple other guys get in through regional qualifying and it was a good day. I'm feeling good. And then then the coverage goes over to Lucas and Lucas shoots sixty three in the morning even part in the afternoon, gets into a playoff and misses a two foot fucking putt with a lab roomstick zoomed in on the fucking putter missus that you know, loses in the playoff and loses the spot and didn't get in the US Opening. I'm like, well, bye bye, Lucas Glover.
Speaker 4: More from Michael Simms immediately.
Speaker 6: I mean, I saw results the first week, and then he did the US Open qualifier and in the playoff, as everybody knows, and it's been documented, I mean, he missed a short putt. But what I saw was he shot sixty three and he hasn't done that in a long time, right, and it appeared that he was putting good.
Speaker 4: US Open qualifying. You shoot sixty three, that's a that's.
Speaker 5: A real low number. That doesn't happen very often to anybody. I don't care.
Speaker 4: You know, Tiger doesn't shoot sixty three in his prime, didn't shoot sixty.
Speaker 5: Three very often.
Speaker 4: That's a different that's a different, different gravy, they say in Ireland. And then you miss a short put to actually get in the in the US Open. But from what I've heard and what I understand, it was actually the miss that might be yet another tipping point for you in which yeah, you missed a short one, but it had nothing to do with the same sort of miss that you might have had in the past. Was that fair to say?
Speaker 7: It was not?
Speaker 9: Yippie?
Speaker 7: It was a miss. And that's the that's been the biggest positive is the misses now are just missus. And guess what, I'm human, But it's not because I'm scared. It's not because I'm having one of these attacks. It's not because it's a a bad stroke, you know. And we're walking through the people, the members there at Brookside in Columbus, going back to the car and Tommy and my father and we get you know, obviously I was upset and mad and this and that, and Tommy goes, hey, man, this is our fifth round or fifth day with this putter in competition. He goes, it's going to be a learning curve. It's going to be a process. He said, you just shot sixty three and whatever I shot in the afternoon, nor remember seventy two or three. He goes, that's still really good golf because you played great memorial except for one hole and just positive reinforcement. But yeah, got in the car, drove off and it wasn't that stroke. It was just a miss.
Speaker 8: Lucas called Liam either that night or the next day and was like, dude, this thing is fucking amazing, and I am in, I am in like swimwear, and we're doing this thing, which it just doesn't happen like with our with our stuff. Even if we get lucky and they put it in play, you miss a couple short ones with something so funny looking and so different feeling and all that, it's impossible for them not to blame the putter and they and they toss it.
Speaker 9: You know they did it.
Speaker 8: So usually if I've seen a guy miss a two foot putt, to miss out on a plane in the US Open, that's bye bye. You know that's over. And not only did was it not over? He called up so stoked about his experience that day, like the two footer aside to shot sixty three that morning. You know, that's what he That's what was present in his mind, wasn't the two footer, was the fact that he shot sixty three.
Speaker 4: Back to Bill Pressey, who was also watching and listening.
Speaker 12: Seremini message all the time. But you know, we've been watching this for so long, we heard neither one of us actually rarely watch, you know, golf tournaments anymore.
Speaker 8: We do.
Speaker 12: But when you when you hear about it, at least the internet, and I know Sam said it in the same way. We hate to watch because you know, it's golf, right, and so seeing you know, Lucas missed that Putt was discouraging and my friends are like, oh, you know whatever. But then he's you know, he talked about it and the way he word smith, his his his language was was was promising. And I caught that and I was like, well, that's a that's a good way to say he's in a mental space.
Speaker 8: That's good.
Speaker 7: Michael Simms, we've had very, very brutal conversations about about the yips and trying to do anything to help with it.
Speaker 6: We talked about the US Open qualifier and he goes, man, I missed a short one, but it's the first time in a long time I missed it. But I learned more from that Putt than anybody could ever give me. He goes, I just hammered the crap out of it. And he might have said something else, but he hammered the crap out of it.
Speaker 9: And he goes, I hit it way too hard, on way too high of a line. That was it.
Speaker 6: He's like, it's not the same as what it was. Before, and you know, and he's like, there is I learn more from that pot than I could have ever imagined.
Speaker 10: Back to Mac the sixty three, Yeah gave me, gave me hope, right, I mean that was good. He missed the pot and it wasn't a big deal, didn't even was it even like yeah, yeah, pissed me off, but but not the old here we go again thing. And Tommy Lamb was like, talk to him after, No, we're not worried a bit about that.
Speaker 9: You know it.
Speaker 10: Sometimes the biggest failure, what we perceive is failure, might have been the best thing. I mean, if he gets in the US Open, then you got to play at the US Open. I mean, it's grinding, it's long, it's going to be really difficult. Is it a place to gain confidence?
Speaker 9: Probably not.
Speaker 10: I mean it probably destroys more confidence and it never helps. So it might have been a god send that he didn't get in, Like it gave him some rest. Now now he can turn it on go for a stretch here. But yeah, when he missed that and it didn't even wasn't even a talking point, didn't even matter. And that gives you that's a difference.
Speaker 7: I wasn't I didn't have the ball position correct, and when I get the ball too far up in the stands, I miss him left because that's just the way that the putter works, when the ball is too far up in your stance. And fix that and made a ton of putts in Canada.
Speaker 9: The next week, he.
Speaker 4: Shoots four rounds of par or better at the RBC Canadian Open and finishes T twenty. Liam Bedford again lab Golf's tour rep who built the putter for Glover.
Speaker 1: So after about a week and a bit, it's actually pretty funny, Mac texted me about maybe a week after he had the puttu and all the all the message say was Lucas is gonna win with this putter. And that was like that was probably the week of Rocket mortgage and and he just said that like the whole, like the confidence Lucas had with the putter was something that he hadn't been familiar with, the confidence level in a long time. Was hitting it great like he always does. He just needed to make a couple more putts here and there, and it looked like the broomstick took care of the short ones for him. So and he's still making the still making the mid rated ones. That's at a good clip, but he's just making the short ones at a way better clip than he was.
Speaker 4: Two weeks after, Max text to Liam and at the Rocket Mortgage in Detroit, Glover birdie's four of the last six holes for his sixty five and a T four finish, which at the time was his best finish of the year by far.
Speaker 7: You know, I still miss some one of the best bunker shots of my life on the fourteenth hole there, part five two. A couple of feet missed it, but I missed it. I missed it every does it. I didn't walk over to fifteen, you know, still shaking and nervous and upset. It was too you missed a short butt, big deal. And that's and then I just kept making birdies and kept hitting decent shots and making some fifteen footers aggressively. And then you know, I take a birdie the last three or four holes there on Sunday, and those other three guys went crazy, and I think I missed the playoff by three, but that was my best finish in a long time. And then I pulled out of that parking lot going. I just putted great for four days. I hadn't said that in a long time. And I'm saying that even missing some that I should have made, I mean short putts, but they weren't that feeling. It wasn't that. Yep, it was just I missed a putt.
Speaker 5: Who cares?
Speaker 7: And that's the mentality you know, every eight year old has, and all that was like a kid and all that stuff a big deal. You missed a putt. Come on, let's go get the next hole. I hadn't had that in ten years maybe more.
Speaker 3: Are you calling your friends? Are you calling Simsey and Matt?
Speaker 5: Going? This is fun?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Well, yeah, I left Detroit. Couldn't wait to get to the Deer you know, that was a one there a couple of years ago and always have good vibes going there. And I could not wait to get there, to the point where, like Wednesday, I wished it was Thursday. You know, I could not wait to go play and could not wait to go putt.
Speaker 9: And.
Speaker 7: Practicing putting was fun. There is fun again. But yeah, it was just here we go, let's uh you know this, everything's kind of clicking, and I just can't wait to play. I can't wait to putt, can't wait to practice and there wasn't a nervness walking up to every green I didn't regulation, or every green I missed having to chip up onto the green. There wasn't this like, you know, fear of screwing up or fear of missing a putt or whatever. And it was just, man, I can't wait to make this one, which I had, Like I said, I hadn't had that feel and had that.
Speaker 9: Childlike fun in years at.
Speaker 4: John Dear, it's more of the same. After rounds of sixty nine, sixty five, sixty six, sixty eight, he finishes T six for two straight top tens. At this point, do you allow yourself to think, like, I'm here to win this week?
Speaker 5: Like, is that what's what's creeping in?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean we say that every week. It's just a matter of whether you actually believe it or not. And after Rocket, I started believing that that if I keep doing this, it's it's going to happen. And then you get then there's the mentality of do I need to do anything better or do I just need to keep doing this? And then it was all right, let's just not over complicate it. Let's just tidy up here, work on our short game. You know, just do what we've been doing to get where we got last week or the week before, and just keep going and not over complicated, not try to put something new in, not try to you know, change up anything. It's just rot it and just keep doing the same stuff, stay consistent, and it'll happen.
Speaker 4: In mid July at the Barbasol Championship, Glover shoots sixty three, sixty eight, sixty nine, sixty eight for twelve straight rounds in the sixties and the fifth place finish is three straight top tens. So you're watching him, you're listening to him, you've known him, you're you know. But for whatever reason, and there must have been several reasons, this was different. This you know, April, May, June, and we got and then you're coming at the start of ju Lie becomes a starting line of which everything fucking changes everything.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, it was a combination. I mean, I've been around him forever, so I know his mind. I mean I know when he's he's got something, when he goes I got it.
Speaker 9: You hear it in his voice.
Speaker 10: I got it, like, no questioning, no, Like you can hear it in his voice and you can see it just there was a sense. I mean, I'm talking to Tommy Lamb, I'm talking to the caddy, I'm talking to Kobe, to a who's training, because we're talking all the time, and all of us started noticing this, this guy that he wasn't one hundred and eightieth and Fede's cup points while talking to you.
Speaker 7: He was fifth.
Speaker 10: I mean, this guy had a different just on the phone, you can hear it, and watching him play.
Speaker 9: And I think you know.
Speaker 10: That fourth place finish was that a rocket? I forget where it is in Detroit and.
Speaker 9: And I mean it wasn't fluky. It was real.
Speaker 10: I mean, because you know you have those rounds where you'll find for a day, but it was real. And we I mean, yeah it was. I mean you know, look you say that looking back at so you can be so confident, but no.
Speaker 9: We really did. Were behind the scenes.
Speaker 10: We were sitting here going, oh my gosh, we got this.
Speaker 9: This has coming back.
Speaker 10: You can't let Lucas glove or putt well. I mean I don't think Lucas has ever putted well in his career. He's putt it okay. And somebody says, well, how do you know that? I said, because he had won twenty times. This kid putted, well, he'd have twenty wins. I mean, because everybody knows this. Watch you hit a gothball and watch him play. He's not scared to win. I mean he is not. He'll get right up there.
Speaker 9: WI can win.
Speaker 10: And if he could, if he was a great putter, with how he strikes it, it'd be hard to tell you. So no, I knew that if he could put a little bit as good as he hits it and as good as he can compete, we were onto something. But like I said, when you're talking to somebody that's one hundred and eightieth and FedEx cup points and that sounds crazy versus the guy stiff and Fedet's cup points, there's a difference in their attitude.
Speaker 9: I mean, you can just sense it. And he wasn't.
Speaker 10: It wasn't like he was worried where he was and you could you could just buil it when you talk to him that he had flipped he'd flipped the switch.
Speaker 6: Mac and I were actually in Scotland for the Scottish and uh, Lucas had the lead. I mean he just had I don't know how many top tens, two or three, but prior to three or four.
Speaker 9: Leading into that event in Kentucky.
Speaker 6: I think it's a barber sool and Mac just said, man, this is this is incredible, and you know, this is amazing. But he looked over at me and he goes, he's going to win Greensboro. That's the one he's that's the one he's going to win. And I was like, you think, so he goes, yeah, it's it's there's just there's so much energy there for him that you know, from the sixty one that he shot there, sixty that he shot there.
Speaker 9: A few years back. It's to where he grew up.
Speaker 6: There's family, there's there's just energy there that that has his back.
Speaker 10: And I'm like, I like this. I can't remember the day. I can't remember which term he finished, four, six, fifth, I remember this right, and and I remember us sitting around and everybody's lamenting, and I said, you know what, I don't give a crap about that.
Speaker 9: I went in to win Greensboro.
Speaker 10: And because Greensboro is run by you know, Mark Browsewill and Bobby Long, who are dear friends of mine. I'm from that area, and I know Lucas would have fifty family members there. Because no matter what. His family. You've never seen a family like that. I mean, they are. They are all for one and one for all, and it's a big part of Lucas.
Speaker 9: I mean, this is a I mean, you.
Speaker 10: Know his dad. You know, his dad traveled.
Speaker 9: With him for several weeks there.
Speaker 10: People people don't realize that his dad was with him to travel with his son. I mean that's huge, not in the old I'm a father, but just I'm gonna be with you man, and his mom and his cousins. And if you meet these, you meet these uncles and the Henley family. I mean, I love I think I'm an I mean I'm a Henley somewhere in there because I'm that close to these guys. But I knew in Greensboro they'd all be there and they need to see Lucas man. And I remember telling I don't know who I was telling. I just told somebody said, look, he's gonna win Greensboro. I don't give a crap what he does there. You know what he's going in Greensboro. And I you know, I know, I said it loud enough to one bartender that met a out on it that did pretty well.
Speaker 4: You know, Max said a couple of weeks before he's gonna win. He's gonna win in Greensborough, Like you know, he was telling he felt he saw your team.
Speaker 5: Was that was it building?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think so looking back on but now yeah, And always played there, played well there, kind of grew up around there on on that course a little bit and seemed to this one of those things nobody really ever talks about with professional golf, is you know, reading the greens are very important. Obviously you and I know that a lot of people don't. But uh, and when you get to a course where you feel like you read the greens really well, you get really even more comfortable. And I feel that way at Greensboro, and I obviously Memphis with the Bermuda that I'm familiar with, and just always seemed to read the greens well there, and then Greensboro not that long of a course, so you get a lot of wedges in and I've been wedging it very well for several months. My statistics with my wedges had had been improving of something I'd focused on and really been working on, and I was starting to see the fruits of those labors. And then I knew Greensboro if you get in the fairway, you're gonna have a lot of wedges, You're gonna have a lot of short irons, and so but it's one of those courses where the ruffles up, Bermuda ruffles up, and if you don't and it can be difficult. So I played a little safer off the tee than I have in years past, just because I wanted to get on the green as quick as possible, because I was putting well, and you know, strategy worked. I wedged it nice, made a bunch of putts and had a ton of fairways. But but yeah, getting there, knowing success I've had there, knowing how well I read the greens there, with this new found confidence in the putter, I was. I wasn't getting too far ahead of myself, but you know I was. I was expectations were to have a good week, but you know, twenty years out there, you can have that expectation and then shoot seventy five, seventy five and expectations right down the road. So I didn't allow myself to get too far ahead. But yeah, I was excited. I was excited to I was excited to go play again, especially there place I liked.
Speaker 4: At the twenty twenty three Windhom Championship at Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, North Carolina, with family everywhere, including his son and daughter, Lucas Glover, putting with Lab Golf's MEZ one Max shot sixty six sixty four, sixty two, sixty eight. Here's Jim Nance with the call on the seventy second green, followed by the post round interview by Amanda ballionis Renner go.
Speaker 9: Ahead and make it turn, turn, turn. That's what he does.
Speaker 10: The man from Greenville is a winner in Greensborough.
Speaker 13: I'm because I know you said. The perspective for you begins and ends with family. Why is this one so emotional for all of you?
Speaker 7: Say hey to mom, Momi, Mommy. I don't get to see these guys as much as I've wanted to because I hadn't been playing that great. So maybe I can. Maybe I can see more practices and more games and be home a little more. So too old to be on the road just much. I've been busting my home so I can be with them and be with my wife. I'm so happy.
Speaker 13: Well, you are going to be on the road for a little bit longer. Now you entered this week one hundred and twelfth in the FedEx Cup standings. You are now forty ninth. I'm sure the kids are you excited to see dad go to the playoffs next week?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Just talk about where your game is at, the confidence that you have found with that putter, and now the rest of the game too.
Speaker 7: Well, like I said the last few days, it starts and ends there with me. And you know, it's been a long road ten years of fighting something and to find something that completely changed the momentum and everything was was obviously a blessing. And you know, kudos to my team, Jason Lance, Facts, Tom, Jason Kuhn for pushing me in that direction. Couldn't have done it without all you guys. I'm just just thrilled to be thrilled to be on uh, thrilled to be on y'all's team. Thank you.
Speaker 4: So I asked Lover to expand on the physical, emotional, and spiritual mountain he had just climbed in order to get back into golf's always elusive winner circle his fifth trip.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and what's so interesting about that is it wasn't two years ago that I would won the Deer. It was right out two years ago. And but those two years, the struggle, the where I was on the FedEx Cup, where I was mentally, you know, back in March and April, and I mean those two years ire like ten.
Speaker 9: And to do it the way I did it, with.
Speaker 7: All the struggles, all the hurdles, all the things that I've been going through and fighting on the golf course and on the pudding green, to do it in that fashion by making putts and making putts when.
Speaker 9: They mattered was really cool.
Speaker 7: And then having all the family aspect and all that who have lived and died with me on the greens as well was very cool. And then obviously my kids being there in person for the first time was was even even better.
Speaker 4: When he wins, what what like?
Speaker 5: What does that all? What? What does that all feel like?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 10: I was there, I'm always Windham, I'm always there all week. Had a lot of guys win it luckily, but I mean we had a rain delay, so we finished in the dark. Then we had the hour or so of press and you did all the great things you get to do when you win, right, and so we finally I think we get to the locker room at about nine thirty and it wasn't much as set. It just looked over. We were just talking about and I guess our comments were, well, that changes things now, all right, so you know now we were in the playoffs, which didn't think about we're at Augusta, don't Hawaii. And we kind of went through a few of those little things, but it was pretty much matter of fact business. He had to pack up, he got his stuff packed up, his family's waiting for him, get in the car, he's got to go to Hell to the room, and we got to get going again. So it was not much of a conversation piece, just I'll talk to you, call me and anything, and we'll move forward.
Speaker 4: What happens between you and Lucas after he wins the first one.
Speaker 9: We had a we had a phone call.
Speaker 6: I knew that he had a lot of stuff going on. I happened to be in Denver with a really good friend of mine. We were all watching, we were yelling at the TV. We were so stoked, and then I sent him. Our favorite beer is Pliny the Elder by Russian River, and I just sent him a picture of a couple bottles of that. I was like, I'm gonna be enjoying these tonight and.
Speaker 9: We talked later on.
Speaker 6: You know, he gave me a lot of shit for that, which was kind of funny, but yeah, I mean it was it was pretty simple. You know, I knew he was tired. What do you say, I mean other than I'm very proud of you. You know, you've you've done, You've done the work. It's nice to see the fruits of what that is. And just so stoked for him.
Speaker 4: From Mac to Michael and now Jason Kuhn, where were you when you found out or saw or were you watching Lucas win his first tournament?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just went outside.
Speaker 9: And walked down.
Speaker 11: We've got a little six acre lot in Tennessee, you know, so it's uh, I just went outside and it was a really nice day out and I just walked outside and I just looked up at the sky with tears in my eyes and just said thank you.
Speaker 5: And back to back again.
Speaker 10: Greensboro was almost kind of a relief. You know, we pulled it off. We had some help coming in, you know, but it wasn't lot of time for celebration. Wasn't lot you know, it wasn't like we're going out to dinner, you know, we you know, his kids were there, everybody knows, and he had stuff, he had stuff to do to get them home and and get on to Memphis. And I remember asking if you if He I said, you want me to get you a private jet up to you know, Memphis, you know, you know, might help you rest. And he goes and he kind of asked me, was Delta broke?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 10: You know, but you know, but just to if you want to talk about Windom and Bobby Long and Mark browsewll They put him on a private.
Speaker 9: Plane the next morning. Got got of Memphis, and you know, and here's Tommy Lamb.
Speaker 10: I'm on the Putty Green. He wins in Greensboro, and I'm trying to find Tommy. I want to hug him. You know, he's hung out and hung with Lucas. That's big part of this. And I finally called him, where are you? And he goes, I'm halfway to my I'm halfway to Charlotte Airport. I'm going I got to fly out.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 10: It's not even you know, and this is Tommy Lamb, not even on the getn't even one accolade on the Putting Green. He's got work to do too, so, and that's what just astounds me is pretty much everybody in Lucas's corner is doing their job. They're not doing it to get on TV. They're doing this job. They're doing their job.
Speaker 5: We saw a.
Speaker 4: Little bit of the emotion, but given what I know about you, it must have been times one hundred internal.
Speaker 7: Yeah, one hundred percent, one hundred percent and h Yeah. It was just the biggest exhale. And when I got in the car after all the media's pitch black guard because you know, we had that kind of Raindoway there and pitch black on the a ton of clock and finally get in the car and had my family and the kids and everybody in there, and they just grab the steering wheel and I don't think I've ever exhaled bigger than that, And it was just relief, so exhausted after doing all that, but it was just the feeling of relief, and then you know, it didn't really didn't really hit me till the next day that you know, how gratifying and grateful and all of the emotions hit. The next day, you know, you wake up to four or five hundred text messages and just people pulling for you. That love you, and you know they might have met him once, exchanged numbers and they text you and and then you you know, you get a couple of days to deal with that and think of that, and and then in that situation, you have turned the page because you don't want to, but you have to.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, and to go back to that Sunday afternoon at Emerald Valley and Eugene, Oregon, where several members of Lab Golf are trying to win a tournament of their own. We start with Liam Bedford.
Speaker 1: It was the last round of the club Championship, so I was in the final group. Sam was in the group in front of me, and then Matt Our CEO. I was in a couple of groups in front of them, and we were on I was on whole thirteen. Sam was on whole fourteen and Unnerald Valley they run parallel and so and the shortcut to play hole thirteen and it's hit the ball like there's a bunch of trees down the middle of the fairway. You can hit a high cut over the trees onto fourteen fairway and it gives you a great look into the thirteen and it's.
Speaker 2: A part five.
Speaker 1: So I hit a high cut over the over the trees, and the ride hit it down the middle of fourteenth fairway and Sam's coming down in fourteenth fairway and he goes to He's like, have you checked the scores? And I was just I hadn't checked the scores in probably two holes. So Lucas, I think it was through six stein when I had lost check at the school schools and I think at the time he had a one shot leader or he was tied or remember it was really close.
Speaker 8: Sam han and and and I'm on the golf course on my second round in my club championship. I've got Matt in front of me, in the group in front of me, and I've got Liam a group behind me, the tour the rep or tour rep that did this whole thing. I have no idea what I shot. I think or I think, yeah, I ended up seventy five that day, but like I almost didn't go to play the second round, so I didn't have much of a chance to win anyway. And I was just like, it's horrifying, you know, it's fucking horrifying because like, not you have you have the chance for both things to happen, and there's there's very little in between. Either Lucas is gonna win the fucking tournament or he's gonna miss some putts and lose it, because we know he ain't gonna lose it with his ball striking, you know. So it's just this just horrible, nail biting thing. We get on the first team right about the time that day teed off, and I'm checking my phone every fourteenth fucking seconds and refreshed, refreshed. I bog you the first two holes of my tournament, and I'm like, oh my god, now I don't have anything to distract me from, you know, my obsession with Lucas Glover right now. And then it goes on another two or three holes, and then the fucking raindelay hit and this is this is at the window. There's like an hour long rainde lay, and I'm like dying, just absolutely dying, try to focus on my own game. They start up again, and long story short, I was on the fifteenth tea, Matt was on the fifteenth green. Liam's on the fourteenth tee. We're all like waving across from fairways and showing the thins and the thumbs up, you know, just nervous and whatever. I got this super zippy golf cart. And then when he won, like I just I hit my tee shot. I waited for my guys to tee off, and I drove all the way up to the sixteenth tee to meet Matt. Jump into his arm. That's a big guy. I'm a little guy, and jumped into his arms, you know, picked me up. And then right after I you know, jumped into MAT's arms. I got on the phone with Bill and there's nothing to say. They're like, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Here's the inventor, Bill Pressey. After lab Golf secures its first win on the PGA Tour and the call he receives from Sam.
Speaker 12: You know, our first phone calls were to each other, congratulating each other, and yeah I was He was like, okay, all right, click, Yeah it was big.
Speaker 9: It was big.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 12: That's that's a monkey on the back.
Speaker 4: He's gone back to Liam Bedford.
Speaker 1: And then so we played play, finished thirteen, finished fourteen, and I'm teen off fifteen. Sam's playing sixteen and that one kind of runs parallel. San Hits's ball down and he sees me on the t box and just drives over to me. We don't even say a word. We just walk towards each other and just start just giving each other a massive hug. And it was a it was a really cool day. My wife didn't come watch that day, and on the way to the golf course after the round, she she stopped off and bought a couple of bottles of champagne and and as as a company, because a lot of us played in that event, we went up and popped a couple of bottles of champagne and celebrated just together with the little group of us. But it was really really awesome.
Speaker 4: Up next, we're wrapping this series up as Glover keeps rolling at the FedEx Saint Jude Championship.
Speaker 3: He went back to back on the PGA Tour against two of the best fields in the game, coming in with the FedEx Cup and all the pressure.
Speaker 10: In that that that that you can't believe.
Speaker 2: Put another log on the fire. Nobody here is get the time