Speaker 1: This is the OTP.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Wells, joined by Rett Bryan and coach mac Dave McGinnis. You guys, the twenty twenty five NFL Draft is over. It has officially ended today with a final press conference from general manager Mike Borganzi and President of Football Operations Chad Brinker. So I figured that now we should all get together, like we should sit and talk about this, put a bow on it, wrap up what all of this means, and then talk a little bit about the future and where we can head. Does that sound good to you?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's good. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: So for starters, did everyone have a good draft experience? How do you guys feel? We had a bunch of content on Titan's radio. We were all over the place. Did you guys have a good time?
Speaker 3: I did, Yeah, I do. I mean we've been living with each other for quite a while now, it was it was good. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're gonna have a weekend of parts.
Speaker 3: What he's saying, I'm not too tired of both of you.
Speaker 2: But well, that's good. No, that was a very informal way of asking. But you guys do a ton of prep work. We talk about it for months and months leading up to it. Do you feel like you got to use all of your information? Do you have any leftover ret nuggies that didn't make it in number one?
Speaker 4: It pertains to one of the draft picks, for sure, Yeah, I've got to I've still got a leftover nuggie. I would like in this just in something people can relate to young people getting married. You know, there's all this planning and forethought to the wedding day, huge day for the bride. I mean, all of that build up. She wants everything to be perfect and then like that, it's over. And that's kind of what this. It's just a big build up, only they're building, you know, a roster here. And I love what they did structurally. They came into the office with six picks, ended up with nine due to a couple of trades. And I know we're going to dive into that, but I think they got some nice players to get this thing rolling.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: When you start putting the draft together, I mean the thing that I enjoyed doing. I mean we looked at over two hundred and fifty players. I mean we went through that made up our draft boards, so that and you only get you only get to pick nine of them.
Speaker 3: But the way we.
Speaker 5: Do it, we do it so that we've got information for our listeners. That's why we do it like this. And plus, I mean it helps, it helps all of us when we're broadcasting games because now we know who these players are. We know who they are because not only the players that we picked, but the players across the league. We can say, I remember when he was in the draft, Remember what we said about him, here's his strong points, Let's see how he's developing into a professional. I mean, all of those things. That's that's why I keep all thirty nine of these notebooks, because I've got a good file on who these players are in the league. And it's important. Yeah, I love doing it, and it was we did a just all honesty. We did a real thorough job, which is what we do. Yeah, and we had a lot of fun doing it.
Speaker 4: And the head coach saw the mac red board.
Speaker 1: That was pretty cool, yeah, and he seemed into it and.
Speaker 3: He didn't throw it on the floor. He looked through it and it was good. Well.
Speaker 4: One of the reasons he didn't is because you have a long pedigree in this league. If it was my board, he'd be like, yeah, that's nice, son, have a good day.
Speaker 1: He'd probably want to see my board.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, okay, that's fair, of course, let me see Amy's draft board.
Speaker 3: I agree with that, Amy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it'd be a real, real hodgepodge of craziness. But what is not a hodgepodge of craziness. The Titans nine draft picks. Let us review them really quickly, just in case anyone missed what happened over the last couple of days. So, with the number one pick in the NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans selected quarterback cam Ward.
Speaker 1: Then in two at pick number.
Speaker 2: Fifty two, they selected linebacker Oloa femi Ola Dejo. Round three, pick number eighty two, the Titans took safety Kevin Winston Junior out of Penn State. Then in round four, things start getting a little bit interesting. The Titans had three picks in that round. At one oh three, they took wide receiver out of Florida Chim ray Dka. At one twenty they took the tight end out of Texas Gunner Helm, and then pick one thirty six they took wide receiver elk iomanor the wide receiver out of Stanford now at one sixty seven. In round five, pick one sixty seven, they took guard Jackson Slater. He was from Sacramento State, and then they had two picks. In round six, pick one eighty three, they took Marcus Harris, a corner out of California, and then finally pick one eighty eight, they took Klel Mullins, a running back out of Michigan.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: Those are the Titans draft picks, all nine of them. And the pundits seem to like this draft for the Tennessee Titans. A lot of response, a lot of high grades a's and b's from the national media. Mac, I know you probably don't put a lot of stock in those grades, but.
Speaker 3: Tell me why, your guys tell me what you see?
Speaker 1: Nothing that is you know who?
Speaker 3: I like it, likes it our draft room.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like it.
Speaker 3: Like the fact that the Titans like it.
Speaker 1: My question to you, Oh, I'm just being honest.
Speaker 2: Is why why do you think that draft class is being so well received on a national level.
Speaker 5: Well, because people that know what they're doing, know how they set up the draft, and know how they when they traded back what they were trading for. And also it's the same way that we put our board together is you look at pods of people as to where intrinsic value is.
Speaker 3: See, you get a lot of names, and then.
Speaker 5: People will say when it comes up, well we need a receiver or we needed this, so we needed that. Though, what you need is a player that fits what you're trying to do in conjunction with everybody else that you're trying to take on your board.
Speaker 3: And that's what's extremely extremely important.
Speaker 5: I mean, I every what I like read is when we first started this back after the season, this first notebook, we have every player that they took in this book somewhere because we went over those names and we went all the way, we went all the way to sack State.
Speaker 3: And what's important is is that you're.
Speaker 5: And they spend they spend as much time as we spend. They spend infinitely more time, and they've got more resources. They've got a lot more resources than we do. So the people that are looking at it that know what it is in the league, the reason they respected because they were looking to go that makes sense, that makes sense, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: That's why they like it. Now.
Speaker 5: Some of the goofle loops that just write stuff. Doesn't move my needle at all.
Speaker 1: That's fair. That's fair.
Speaker 2: Now, Ritt, you mentioned earlier that at the beginning of this kind of draft process it had six picks. They ended up picking nine players. That's pretty impressive for a first time GM working with a first time personnel group.
Speaker 4: Right, I think it is. But it also speaks to his experience as his whole body of work with the Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 3: And you got to.
Speaker 4: Remember the last handful he was assistant general manager. I mean, he wasn't just walking around with some kind of empty title. I mean he was boots on the ground doing the work. And then I think the collective that they brought together between Chad Brinker, president of Football Operations, and he spoke about it in the press conference about being able to dip out of the war room and go handle some meetings with other things that are on the purview of his duties and then come back in to know that. But when you're talking about when you have Reggie Mackenzie and you have Dave Ziegler who have been general managers, they have an all star crew in there, and then you mix in the talent evaluators in the Scouting department all that. It's a great, great group of people, and I think Mike Porganzi, you know, it kind of spoke to what he's about and what his vision is, what their vision is aligned because you know, you make that picket from thirty five right here in this room. We were recovering this on last Friday night, and you pick up a picket fifty two overall, and then you add in a third rounder you didn't have so that you didn't go from thirty five to one oh three, which is a long way to fall to see names come off the board, and then you make a day three trade with Baltimore Ravens so that you go back into the bottom of the fourth round to take elicioman Or from Stanford. They not only address need, they got some depth position stuff.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 4: I think all these guys have interesting stories that we all like to tell. But I think the whole body of work I'm with Mac. I like that they like it, and I think time will tell on the rest of it. You mentioned Ola with femi Ola Day Show, so that was the guy they picked at fifty two and when they traded down from thirty five. He is his family is from West, the western part of Nigeria in the Congo area of Africa. And their language they speak, which they speak, what I understand frequently when their family unit is together, Ola with Emi in their language means God loves me, and so I think that's why he wants it to be referred to by his full name, even though Femi is his nickname. But you just look at the production in these guys, and then Kevin Winston Junior at eighty two, Let's face it, they needed a safety. Kevin Winston Junior would have been much higher drafted in this draft had he not had the ACL. He played and the season opener for Penn State felt a tweak and practice that next week try had to go played about a series or two in the next game, and then he had to have ACL surgery. He's far enough removed from that he'll be all right. But had he been healthy, he'd have been taken early on Night two instead of where he was at eighty two. And then you just start picking through this stuff. There's some very interesting like Kalel Mullings the last pick. He's a converted linebacker. He's still learning the running back position. But what I like about that is he brings the physicality in his style of running, plus his his stuff could translate to being a core special teams guy and maybe the third running back.
Speaker 5: That's a that's a huge part of a huge part of that. I mean you said that, you said that so well, that that's pretty common thread that runs through these guys. They're really they're really football dudes. I mean it's it's you can tell throughout their careers. It's been very very important to them. Some of them have overcome some things to get to it, to get to what they've done. And also it shows that you don't have a group of PREMI ma, donna, dudes. I mean, you've got guys that They've got guys that were willing to do what the team needed them to be and then they took it and ran with it. So I mean, as I say, because they're happy with it, I'm happy with it. But as we were going through the draft, you know, all three of us sitting here, and they would take them and then we list would just check it off our list over here and.
Speaker 3: Go okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: That that to me made me, you know, feel good, because I knew they feel good.
Speaker 4: Well, and you go back and you look at you read their bios. It's littered with they were obviously multi sport guys, but they were captains on their team. They're leaders. These are foundational style pieces and some of the later rounds maybe you develop into more there. But the football character is that needle is pegged.
Speaker 3: The other thing that.
Speaker 5: With the transfer portal world that we're living in now, when a player transfers from somewhere where he had a a legitimate position as a captain and goes to his new place in the spring, and then is elected captain with that new group, that tells you that that trait.
Speaker 3: Translates this summer.
Speaker 2: Seat Geek has your ticket to the best live concerts in Nashville at Nissan Stadium. Seat Geek has the best seat your seat for an unforgettable summer. From Rock Royalty to Rap Superstars R and B to Country, find it all on seat Geek, the official ticketing partner of Nissan Stadium. Little Caesars is the official pizza partner of your Tennessee Titans. Download the Little Caesars App and get your favorites delivered today. Delivery fees apply now. Back to the OTP SO the way that Chad Bricker described what they were looking for in his press conference was big, fast, tough football players who love winning more than anything else. And it was just that simple. It wasn't something he had to think about. It wasn't like that's the answer. Is that such a clear and concise description of what they're looking for. Is that the makings of a strong identity for a football team that maybe didn't have such a specific guiding identity in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Well, let's let's let's go to the last part of that.
Speaker 5: We said that love winning that comes after you're willing to put the work into winning.
Speaker 3: That's what that I mean. And that's and that's what Chad is meaning with that.
Speaker 5: If you really, if you really, truly, everybody, I haven't found a player yet in all the years I've been doing this that didn't like the feeling of winning.
Speaker 3: Now, the subset of those of that group is very small.
Speaker 5: That's willing to put all the work in when nobody's watching that it takes to do that on a consistent basis.
Speaker 3: This is hard. It's hard.
Speaker 5: The preparation is hard, the practice is hard, the mental stre hard. All of those things are important, But if you've got guys, put a group of guys together that are willing to do all of that to get to the end result and win together as a group. That's what you're looking for, because it's really easy, you know, for somebody to say, coach, I love to win. All right, now, let's go out here, not just today, not just tomorrow, not just when you're really feeling good, because we all wake up some mornings not feeling great. And especially when you're doing something as exhaustive as playing professional football is, and in the National Football League as a player and a coach, you've got to be willing to you know, the word grind gets used a lot, but when you've lived it and you know what it is, you've got to have those guys that are willing to do it and on a consistent basis.
Speaker 3: I think that's what he's talking about.
Speaker 4: The other thing I would follow up with mac on that too. Someone asked general manager Mike Borganzi in the press conference about the cultural shape of things, and he had and I'm paraphrasing, but it was a quote something of the the to the effect of, if we get enough of these guys in there, that will build culture and I think there's you know, when you look at this team on paper, they're very young. I mean, there's there's a few guys that are older in this but they're I mean when you're looking at Amani Hooker and you're looking at Jeffrey Simmons as the two longest vested you know that were actually selected by the team, that's saying something. So you're gonna need the football character, the people that put into work when nobody's looking. And I think that's the other identity of this draft is every one of these guys, in their own individual ways coming to this town and this team have put work in and I think will continue to do so.
Speaker 5: Also, who the mindset of the quarterback that you selected is huge. That's huge because and I've never sat down yet and talked with him face to face and don't have to because just just from what I can ascertain, every time he opens his mouth and he starts to speak, he's saying something with a purpose.
Speaker 4: Can I pause on that for a second because I want to PSA for the ot people. If you have not listened to that OTP that Amy Wells did with Cameron Ward, go, it's eleven minutes it's not a great commitment. Just go listen to it. You'll get a better idea listening to that young man talk and listening to the background he's from. I mean, his family dynamic has clearly shaped him into the man that he is. There's a couple of funny things in there. You need to hear about family game night. That's funny canceled, but he said, I'm not afraid to get into somebody's ass when I need to. Like, the dude's a natural born leader. He's earned the stripes coming up to this point. Now he's going to have to move into this lane. I don't think he's going to have any trouble with that part of it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: But I just I learned a little more about him from your your great interview with him from last week.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're the only one sitting at this table, in this group of wizards, in this wizard round table here.
Speaker 3: Let's talk to him. Do you come with a way with that sense? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 2: He is so even keeled to the point where you're almost like like he's very comfortable and not in a casual way though, just in a quiet confidence kind of way. He's just delightful to talk to, very kind, very respectful, was a great person to talk to, a great interview, but also like isn't afraid to kind of poke the bear a little bit because he has that quiet confidence, So he'll give you a hard time, he'll kind of mess around with you a little bit, which I think is great. I think that's one of the ways that you really connect with people. But he also seems to have a really good understanding of his surroundings.
Speaker 1: Almost he does a great job.
Speaker 2: Of reading the room and reading the people within the room, and I think that that is something that is such that's not something that's developed, that's something you're born with. You like people can read the room or they can't, and it is just innate. And he had such a great ability to meet each person that he was interacting with because I watched him, you know, as he went when we bring the first round pick in spoiler alert for those of you who don't know when the first round pick comes in for the very first day, right after he's picked, and he does the media and he does all kinds of stuff. We ask him to do about eight hundred and sixty five different things, so he is all over the building, he's meeting with a ton of different people, and he's doing a lot of different things, whether it's photo shoots or interviews or talking to the media or shaking hands with this person or that person. I mean, there's a lot asked of them on their very first day, and he did such a great job of every room he walked into, he met every single person, and by the time he left the room, he knew everybody's name, and he interacted with each person in a very different way that felt so familiar to them. And so that's why I think he is such a natural leader, is because he can instantly walk into a room and recognize that, like, this person wants to be dealt with different than this person, Like this person will appreciate this kind of humor. This person won't think that's funny at all. I need to talk to this person that way. That is something that you're born with. And so aside from all the football stuff, being able to do that, that's just an amazing skill set as a human.
Speaker 5: Well, and the other thing about it is and I'm glad that you bring that up, because I've done this so many years. Bring those guys are operating on about two hours of sleep.
Speaker 1: He said he got exactly one hour of sleep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's universal for those guys, especially those guys that go to the draft, that asked to be at the draft. I mean it's a horror wind. It's four or five day a horl wind there doing the same thing. So to still be able to muster the wherewithal to do that and understand the importance of the first impression where you are, because I mean I can tell some stories about guys coming in with one hour sleep that we had to wake up off a couch, Yeah, trying to get him to do the next thing. So that's those are legitimate points that you're making that you've observed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he was definitely a tired pup, like especially by the time I got to him at the end.
Speaker 1: Of the day.
Speaker 3: He had been through the car wash.
Speaker 2: The man had been through the car wash. But I mean he kept going and he gave everybody one hundred percent even if he did not have one hundred percent to give.
Speaker 4: The more I heard him speak in that OTP, there's just this country charm and quiet confidence. It's like you were sitting there talking to Steve McNair. Yeah, that's how he handled himself, and I was reminded of that the more I heard him talking that OTP the other thing I would say. I went back and I watched a couple of his games yesterday afternoon. Do you rest ever ret Well, I mean I do, but it was it was good to just be able to.
Speaker 3: Can I can I say this? Red?
Speaker 5: She asked, if you ever rest? He was very pleasant with one hour sleep. Can you be more pleasant?
Speaker 3: Sure? Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I didn't know it was unpleasant, but sure, okay. Watching him operate in the pocket, and I know this is going to be a whole different ballgame for him literally in this league. But there's this confidence in just the way you talked about his spatial awareness and just the way he didn't get rattled. He didn't And the wolves are coming, and I know the wolves in this thing is that's a whole different animal.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's something about the way he carries himself. I just I don't know. I just kept I went back. I was like, this, this is going to be a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the things that's a good point, Rich because one of the things he's very self aware.
Speaker 1: Yes, incredible to me.
Speaker 3: That's the one thing when he's asked by a coach about he is one of his.
Speaker 5: Strengths, he said, I can see space spatial awareness on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was just very impressed by him, and I'm excited to see him as he gets into the locker room and gets with the rookies when they're in the building, and then.
Speaker 1: Also with the vets and to see that dynamic.
Speaker 2: It's just going to be really fun to watch throughout the off season program and through training camp watching him grow and really find his footing and get more comfortable. I do think it's interesting that as we're looking at this draft class here six editions on offense, three on defense. Mac, do you think there was a concerted effort to add young talent around this young quarterback so that they can all develop together. Is that something that would be beneficial for him and his development?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely, it absolutely was.
Speaker 5: Now a lot of it, A lot of it has to go with you know, how their board looked, how their front board looked. Is that as the vertical at horizontal started to come off and they started to trade.
Speaker 3: But absolutely, and I mean that that helps, that helps a lot.
Speaker 5: It sure does now, sooner or later, whether they're young guys that came in with him, are there veterans that he's around. He's got to assimilate with all of them. Everybody's got to assimilate together. But to your initial point, sure, sure there was you know, said, how can we utilize this guy within the framework of what he likes to do offensively and so what we're going to work together as a.
Speaker 3: Group to do.
Speaker 4: Here's the other thing that because you're right, and in day three, I'm my god, they gotta go all offenses the first four selections right or offense the other part of it in a bigger picture, got scored more than eighteen points a game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, got to yep, that would be helpful.
Speaker 4: So some of these guys are going to be counted on for that stuff.
Speaker 3: That's a valid point. Read well.
Speaker 2: A word that came up in the press conference over and over and over again with speed. Speed was something that seems to be another point of emphasis Mac. Why was this team needing speed so much?
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, I mean, this team was injured, right, You had guys had to fill in that weren't good. There weren't starters, they didn't have enough requisite speed.
Speaker 3: You can you can never be.
Speaker 5: In this league too fast, right, you can never be too fast. Now, some of the other things have to fit into it, and you have to be able to function that speed.
Speaker 3: There's a difference between just running.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've been at workouts where we've brought in Olympic athletes that were speedy guys. But then when you start putting a ball in it start throwing it at them.
Speaker 3: They were ducking it like where you're throwing it at me, So.
Speaker 5: Potatoes a sudden you get people throw stuff at me.
Speaker 3: What were we doing?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: You got you gotta have football speed. Football speed is different than just running fast in a straight line. But play speed, play speed, and you you'll hear You'll hear the evaluators talk about it.
Speaker 3: You heard our guys talk about it. He's good with the ball.
Speaker 5: In his hands, he or he's got a GPS to the ball on defense, he can get to the football because you've got to be able to You got to be able to incorporate your speed into the flow of the ball game.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 5: Straight line speed and football speed are two very distinctly different things.
Speaker 4: Jim Ray DK four to three four at the combine. Wow, thirty eight and a half inch vertical leap ten eight broad six eight two in the three cone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but see and now right there, right there, what he said six' eight two in the three. Cone now he can change, directions he can start stop. CHANGE i, mean you, know we talked about it earlier in one of the. OTPs if y'all missed, it go, BACK i can listen to.
Speaker 4: IT i Mean elkioman or four four four but one five six in his first. Ten, yeah and see thirty eight and a half.
Speaker 5: Vert because those those things also matter, too because it's not just straight vertical speed that you're incorporated into. It but the reason that they do that they have some of those other qualities amy that.
Speaker 3: Supplement that. Speed you can never be too, fast.
Speaker 5: But you've also got to be able to be fast enough to play, football which is incorporates a lot of change of, direction a lot of start and.
Speaker 3: Stop you, know a lot of those things have to.
Speaker 4: Happen that corner they took From Cal Marcus. Harris by the, way there's some good players in this draft from That cal. Program four four five at the, combine run four to three eight at is pro, day but one five seven and one five five in his first ten thirty thirty six and a half inch, vert a little over seven and the three. Cone BUT i mean forty two pass, breakups eight interceptions to the.
Speaker 3: Ball he's got some twitch to. Him, yep he's got.
Speaker 5: Twitch you know That our good Friend Peter sermon was the defensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: There that's now with The New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Saints Hey titans, fans with A Kroger boost, membership you'll score big with double, fuel, points free, delivery and lots. More go To kroger dot com slash boost for. Details kroger the official grocer of The Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Titans Tighten Up home is the forefront of all we.
Speaker 2: Do it's why we're so committed to caring for the places and spaces in which we work and. Live ashley the official furniture provider of The Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Titans now back to THE.
Speaker 2: Otp in other, news The titans have also added another free agent wide, Receiver Tyler. Lockett for those of you who are not familiar With Tyler, lockett let me tell you a little bit about. Him he played in one hundred and sixty one win games with one hundred and thirty four starts in ten seasons with The Seattle. Seahawks that would be from twenty fifteen to twenty twenty. Four they selected him in the fifth round of the twenty FIFTEEN Nfl. Draft during his, career he has recorded six hundred and sixty one receptions for eight, thousand five hundred and ninety four yards and sixty one. Touchdowns last, season he played in seventeen games for the second straight. Year he had forty nine catches for six hundred yards and two. Touchdowns he is a three Time All pro selection as a return. Specialist he can kind of do.
Speaker 1: Everything he's a pros.
Speaker 5: PRO i, mean this guy is alleged In, Manhattan kansas At Kansas.
Speaker 4: State, YEAH i think that last year's, STATS i think that broke a four or five year consecutive streak of thousand yard receiving seasons for him. TOO i, mean he's mister, dependable. Reliable he's clearly durable because he's you, know and you get to his, age you're gonna have some dents and things to show up and all Those i've always had an immense respect for. HIM i, mean and, again you'd hope that one of these fourth fifth round receivers ends up if they have a career anywhere near. That titans had a great. Draft well the YEARS i was in THE Nfc wes at The.
Speaker 5: RAMS i, mean this is a guy when you Played seattle you had to figure out where he.
Speaker 3: WAS i mean's he's a pros? Pro he's a.
Speaker 5: Pro and you talk about intent when you bring people in for certain. Reasons before this draft, started that room was light on, numbers the receiver, room but it's also very light on.
Speaker 1: Experience, yeah it was the young.
Speaker 3: Room well well, yeah young without much.
Speaker 5: EXPERIENCE i mean you Had Calvin ridley basically the experienced, player and then a lot of then a lot of young dudes trying to make their. Mark that was a that was a great. GET i love the fact when they signed, him.
Speaker 2: So is his is the intent for him to be obviously a contributor on the, field but just as big a contributor in the classroom and in the locker.
Speaker 3: Room that's what you. Get, yes that's exactly.
Speaker 5: WHY i, mean you can't how many times have y'all heard me say you can't manufacture? Experience, Yep and you can't manufacture the value of, experience especially with a this is going to be a young. Team we've already said. It this is a young football. Team this team is, Is this team is. Refitting it's refitting everywhere That you've got to have some vets that understand how this. Works but they have to be the right kind of. Vets and he's one of. Them well do you think you?
Speaker 4: Know to that, Point Bryce oliver got to where he was getting some playing time down the, Stretch Bryce oliver already had some examples to show him how to be a. Pro here's another solid person to continue to meld and mold him into what he needs to be and more, importantly what The titans want him to.
Speaker 5: Be. Yeah, WELL i just experienced it in all my years of coaching in this, league because a really good veteran can mentor a younger player and accelerate their comfort and they're learning in the league even much quicker than a coach, can much quicker because they're with they're with them more.
Speaker 2: So The titans have their draft, class they have their undrafted free agents who we are not discussing.
Speaker 1: Yet we don't know the final.
Speaker 2: List but they are actively working on getting that group of people.
Speaker 5: Together actively is a good word because we should we should do.
Speaker 3: It we could do a whole segment on the way that process.
Speaker 1: Is it's.
Speaker 5: Wild, okay go, Ahead, yes WELL i just had a flashback to thirty one years of the, wild wild cool down or. Something are you over with four telephones in my? Ears oh, No Old ricado running in here and telling, me don't talk to that guy right, now said see How i've already got.
Speaker 1: Him don't talk to.
Speaker 2: It oh, No, yeah that is definitely a crazy process that at some point we'll have to completely pull back the curtain and do the whole thing because the undrafted free agent kind of, SWARM.
Speaker 1: I think we call. IT i don't even know. What it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Town so they are still actively working on getting that group of people.
Speaker 1: Together obviously our draft classes.
Speaker 2: Set they have a solid group of free agents that they brought in during the first wave of free, agency a couple more after the draft With Tyler. Lockett there could be. More there's usually a second wave in the post draft. Time you're, right but now the real work, begins Right, Mac now we've got to get them in the building and see what they.
Speaker 5: Got, well it's all been, WORK i, mean it's to this, point it's been real. Work and now now what you get to do is you GET i mean it's kind of like, YEAH i mean you try to get all your seeds and you plant your. Seeds now you get to water and watch it. Grow this is what's. It this is as a. Coach this is why you. Coach this is why you're in. It this is why. You you can't wait to get in the room with these. Guys you can't wait to get them on the. Field you can't wait to go through the whole process with. Them this is THE i, guess the real adrenaline pump time for.
Speaker 3: Coaches it really.
Speaker 2: Is this is the time we are going through. OTAs there in phase one right now of the off season. Program OTAs begin in a couple of weeks and then we have the mini, Camps Mandatory mini, camp we have Rookie mini camp before, that getting guys in, here getting them in the, classroom getting them on the field a little bit to. Do each phase has its own set of, rules but getting them on the field doing some work and starting to see where this team is before they take a little break and then they come back and it's training camp and it's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be, uh you, know of, course with the three preseason.
Speaker 5: Games it's a little bit unusual training, camps you, know if they've said that they may be away for a couple of weeks too with training, camps so that always makes it. Different but, yeah it's a linear, progression but you can't you can't.
Speaker 3: Skip any of these.
Speaker 5: Steps, yes and what you just laid out amy is, true but you. Can't every step is. Important you can't just be looking ahead to the next step if you have to complete each step in the progress so that when it comes time to decide which of these guys you're going to keep on the fifty three to begin, with that you've done all the prep, work just like they did three and a half months prep work on this.
Speaker 2: Draft, well the good news is there's going to be some semblance of football in the. Building it's not entirely the real thing obviously there we're still ways off when it comes to games and that kind of. Thing but having people in the, building having them work, out seeing them on the field a little.
Speaker 1: Bit it feels feels a little bit more. Normal, well the feels better.
Speaker 3: The football building comes, alive players.
Speaker 1: Are, Here, yeah it, does.
Speaker 5: Because everything comes together and it's JUST i, MEAN i love everything about. IT i, mean that's why professional Footballs i've been in over half my adult, life and it's just it never gets.
Speaker 3: Tiresome, PROBABLY i promise.
Speaker 1: You, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ritt do you have any final thoughts to wrap up the twenty twenty FIVE Nfl. Draft you put in so much work getting ready for, This do you have any final?
Speaker 4: Thoughts, NO i Just i've enjoyed doing all this draft coverage with both of y'all and the feedback that we've all gotten about. IT i think it's been, positive And i'm just looking forward to kind of learning more about these young men that have been selected and the ones that'll come in is undrafted free, agents and learning their stories and telling their stories On Titan's. Radio that's WHAT i love as just as much as about, anything because they're just people like we. Are they just have the coolest job in the world and they have to have their. Name they get to have their name played on their uniform and play in front of a bunch of.
Speaker 5: PEOPLE i can't wait to go to practice every, day stand there with you two and watch and talk about, it and standing there With rett while he's timing the.
Speaker 2: PUNTERS i, mean does it's about it's about hang, time clocking.
Speaker 1: Time we're getting, there.
Speaker 4: Well just taking role and learning numbers because there's lots of new numbers and vases and you, know all that stuff to try to learn and. PEOPLE i, know people around here probably Think i'm, crazy but it is an exercise for me, mentally just to familiarize myself with faces and numbers and all that.
Speaker 1: Stuff this roster is so.
Speaker 2: Different i'm going to have to make flash cards this. Year i've been able to get by the last couple of. Years i'm gonna need flash cards.
Speaker 3: Again, well it's just because it's it's all so.
Speaker 5: IMPORTANT i, mean it really. Is AS i, SAID i really enjoy watching practice with you.
Speaker 1: Too, likewise we like to watch practice with.
Speaker 3: You indeed sometimes.
Speaker 1: Every time here it is all.
Speaker 2: Right, WELL i think that wraps it up here for THE, Otp thank you for listening to another edition of The Official Titans. Podcast For Coach mac For Rep, Rian I'm Amy wells and this has been THE otp