Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg DAYBAQ podcast. Good morning, It's Monday, the third of August. I'm Caroline Hepca in London and.
Speaker 1: I'm Stephen Caroline Brussels. Coming up today, President Trump says new talks with Iran will begin today, scrapping planned attacks as he moves once again from escalation to negotiation.
Speaker 2: Spain's border crisis rattles Europe, with at least seventy two people dead and nearly all those crossing returning to Morocco.
Speaker 1: Plus British Prime Minister Andy Burnham's plan to devolve power away from Westminster is popular with many economists, but how would it work in practice.
Speaker 2: Let's start with a roundup of our top stories.
Speaker 1: US President Donald Trump has again shifted course on Iran, with new talks set to begin today. The latest reversal comes after Trump once again ratteted up the threat of more strikes continuing and now from mill pattern of escalation and de escalation. The President says he stepped back from the latest attacks following appeals from Saudi Arabia and other US allies in the region. Here's what he told reporters on board Air Force One.
Speaker 3: We're talking to them in the form of a negotiation. It begins tomorrow afternoon, and we'll see you. But sure, I'd love to do that. Save a lot of lives, save a lot of a lot of unnecessary power, to be honest with you, or take many, many years to have a build it back if it could. I don't think it would be even buildable back. So we had an effect that would be the biggest attack since World War Two.
Speaker 1: Rank crude fell by as much as seven percent after President Trump suggested a deal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz maybe close. Meanwhile, Iran says negotiations with omanor in their final stages, including discussions on a new route through the waterway, but officials say the talks don't cover whether the vital shipping lane will reopen, leaving the biggest question for global oil markets unanswered.
Speaker 2: Japan's battle to support the yen is intensifying, with traders betting that authorities intervened again. After last week's historic joint action with the US. The yen swung from a small decline to gains of as much as one point four percent against the dollar during morning trading in Tokyo, Japan is estimated to have spent a record eight point four to five trillion yen. That's the equivalent of about fifty three billion US dollars buying yen last week. US Treasury Sectary Scott Bessent has signaled that Washington is prepared to act again if needed, raising the stakes for investors betting against the yen. And while the intervention has reversed much of the currency's recent slide, investors remain focused on whether policymakers can sustain the rally.
Speaker 1: In the UK, Prime Minister Andy Burnham says Britain must regain control of its borders. UK leader visited Dovery yesterday to talk to police officers trying to stop people smugglers.
Speaker 4: Clearly progress is being made, but we're not complacent and it's why I am here. It's why I come down on Sunday to see the team, to listen to what they think needs to be done, what further can be done.
Speaker 1: Two thousand migrants have crossed the English Channel in thirteen days since Burnham took over from kir Starmer. So far this year, estimate suggests the number of people crossing the channel is forty three percent lower than last year. Migration has been a political flashpoint in the UK and has boosted support for Niger Foraja's far out reform UK Party.
Speaker 2: At least seventy two people are known to have died trying to reach the Spanish port city of Theuta from Morocco. Nearly all of the around sixty thousand people who crossed have been returned to Morocco, but the humanitarian crisis has reignited a debate around immigration in Europe. Spanish MEP Juan Fernandez Lopez Aguiar from the ruling Socialist Party says his country needs solidarity.
Speaker 5: We have an external border of the whole European Union with the African continent, with the Morocco has an association agreement with Europe, so it's time that we enforced the association agregion and we'd demand the responsibility for Morocco authority.
Speaker 2: The MAP was speaking after Spain's Prime Minicipaedris Sanchez wrote to top EU officials to complain about what he called a quote selfish, polarizing and unlawful reaction. Twenty two other European leaders signed a letter calling for immediate EU action on migration. European Interior ministers will hold an emergency meeting on the issue tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Pharmaceuticals giant AstraZeneca is said to have explored a mega deal to create one of the world's biggest drug makers. Bloombergs Tea out of Bio has More.
Speaker 6: Astrosenica and Bristol Meyers Squip have reportedly held early stage discussions about combining. Bloomberg understands that it's unclear whether the conversations are ongoing or if they will result in a transaction, but any agreement would be significant. The merger could provide Astrosenica with a bigger foothold in the US market, complementing it's more than two hundred and sixty billion dollar valuation. Meanwhile, Bristol Meyer's Squib is preparing for the loss of patent protection for some of its biggest products, including a blood thinner and cancer drug, which make up about half of its sales. In London, Tea at a Bio Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Two helicopters collided in Greece's Attica region yesterday as they fought control a worldfar According to the Hellenic Fire Serve, it's a search and rescue operation retrieved two crew members with minor injuries, but two others were pulled unconscious on the wreckage and brought a hostel where they died later. Meanwhile, the effects of extreme heat that have continued to widen across you. Of the continent's biggest rivers, including the Vine and Danube, are drying up after a series of heat wets, disrupting the transport of goods and boosting freight costs. Soaring temperatures are also curbing power generation at riverside reactors from France to Hungary, push up energy prices and straining Eastern European economies. Those are some of our top stories for you today. Looking at the markets, well break crewed futures are down by five point three percent this morning on this back and forth around the US and Iran negotiations. Today eighty three dollars twenty nine treasuries rising, yields down about four and a half basis point on the ten year US treasure yield at four sixty nine. This as the Japanese yen is strengthening, so at the moment up six ten percent one hundred and fifty six forty interesting. Bloomberg reporting that the US Treasury may be using euros to fund its en purchases to avoid a weakening its own currency. According to strategists, Chip stocks this morning are down. So after that record rally on the costb are you actually have the cost by this morning retreating some five point four percent. So those are the markets.
Speaker 1: In a moment, we'll bring you the latest on the Iran war and those potential talks being discussed by Donald Trump. Plus can Andy Burnham's plan for more devolution really help to grow the UK economy? But first, another story that we've been reading this morning are people's use of AI changing your opinions of them. Jose Cox has been writing about how attitudes toward the technology are now affecting friendships and family relations. A twenty twenty five global study from Stanford shows that more than half of those surveyed were nervous about AI. That was up from thirty nine percent in twenty twenty two, and Josie writes at that for some AI use has become a proxy for values. In the workplace, there's AI suspicion, employees suspect coworkers of secretly using AI to generate content, and now in personal relationships, people are looking at text messages or even wedding vows and wondering whether it was AI involved in writing this. And you know, the fears around this come from things about people being legitimately very worried about deep fakes, for example, undermining creativity, alienating regularly human interaction, or environmental concerns serverance, also showing that it's also an important issue in dating as well. Do you think more or less of a person who doesn't use AI is at a moral high ground. I feel like this is going to be a new thing that we're all going to be fighting over at family dinner tables at events later in the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think we should keep our hair on. I mean, look, AI can obviously be useful for things, you know, for work. I mean, I'm not sure about the wedding vows, but I think I have questions, as so many people do. Have we learned anything from social media? Are there the right safeguards in place? You know, we know that AI obviously has used the world's libraries and books and knowledge to kind of assimilate and grow, So yes, I can understand people's question marks.
Speaker 1: Really interesting piece from Chelsea. You'll put a link to us on our podcast show Notes. Well, let's get the latest now in the situation in the Middle East, President Trump says that new around talks will begin this afternoon after he called off a planned attack, partially in response to calls from his allies in the Regionston Wallas, who heads our coverage of the Middle East and North Africa, joins us now for more. Stuart, First of all, what do we know about these tugs?
Speaker 7: So, I mean, there seems to be two sets of talks, one of which we know very little about. They're the ones that start this afternoon. We don't know who the participants are or quite what's on the agenda. The other one is a little bit better formed, I would say, in that it seems to be direct negotiations between Iran and Oman, and that has basically two key points. One is how to control horror moves and number two, how to navigate it. So they're talking about both of those things. One will inform the other, because clearly the most pressing issue that has to be resolved right now is horror moves. And that's not just for the global economy, but I think for everything else that follows in terms of the nuclear file and the proxies and all the missiles and all the other things they want to discuss. So if we can get horror moves cracked with some sort of agreement between Iran and Oman and that is palatable to everyone else that uses the strait, then I think that sets us up in good stead to kind of deal with everything else.
Speaker 2: President Trump, though made this announcement, said that the talks were happening after speaking to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. What does that tell us about the position of countries around the Gulf about the conflict and their influence on President Trump?
Speaker 7: So, I mean, I think it's a mixed bag in terms of what their interests are. I mean, I think a lot of the reporting that came out last week in terms of the potential targets, seemed to center around energy in particular. And we know from Iran's retaliatory actions since the end of February that if you go after Iran's power plants or bridges or anything else along those lines, and it will retaliate in kind, and it will do that specifically in the region. So you did see attacks on energy infrastructure across the Persian Gulf at least on sort of the Arab side of it, and so I think that was the great fear this time, was that we were sort of going to go back to that situation where it was this tip for tat and you would, you know, not only have damage to energy infrastructure, but potentially wider than that. Much better to follow the diplomatic.
Speaker 1: Track, Stuart, We've seen this cycle of attacks, threat promises and negotiations before in this conflict. Is there any reason to believe that this time will be different.
Speaker 7: That's a hard one to answer. I mean, I think there's certainly willingness on all sides, and by that I mean from the US side. You know, it had a dwindling number of options really in terms of trying to get a diplomatic resolution. It certainly didn't seem to have much success in terms of, you know, a military solution to this, in that this has been going on now for months and months and we seem to be no closer to any resolution or any of the key points. From the Iranian point of view, again, you know that they are paying a very heavy price for during this war, and despite the rust of it coming out of Tehran and their willingness to accept a great deal of pain. It must be said that, you know, this has really hurt their economy, which was not in good shape anyway, It's hurt the relations with their neighbors. It sets them up in a very precarious position, although again I'm sure they wouldn't characterize it that way. And then for the rest of the world, clearly there is a very heavy price that is being paid in terms of the economy and just yes, partly through energy prices, but also global trade, also through lots of other products like metals and fertilizers and chemicals. You know, the impact has been vast, and so I think everyone has a lot of stake here in trying to get something accomplished that sets us up for some sort of stability in terms of particularly global trade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stuart, thank you so much for being with us. Stuart Livingston Wallace, who heads our coverage of the Middle East in North Africa, thank you. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg DAYBAQUB coming up after this.
Speaker 1: And the UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham's plan to devolve power away from Westminster is popular with many economists. Burnham has a vision for growth in every postcode of the country, but how does that work in practice? Our senior UK Economy reporter for Paldric been looking into this, he joins us. Now for more. First of all, what do we know about Burnham's plan for devlation.
Speaker 8: Well, he wants to, as he says, he wants to have growth in every postcode, by which he means that there's too much centralization of power in the UK in Westminster, so he's going to His plan is to basically move both funding powers more funding powers, so more powers over local transport, more powers over education, more powers over regional economic development to local areas, to regional areas. These will start with the mayor or ties, the metro mayors, and alongside those new sort of powers over spending in those regions, he's going to be devolving some of the tax as well. So at the moment tax is collected in Westminster, we are one of the most We are the most centralized country in terms of tax collection in the OECD. All of it is basically collected in Westminster. So the tax is going to Some of that tax is now just going to be handed over to the regions and instead of getting grants these handouts from Westminster, they will just keep the tax that they generate, and the idea is this will incentivize growth because the more growth that you generate, the more tax receipt you get. And instead of it being swept back to Westminster and then distributed around the country as and wish as the government wishes, the local authority leaders will be able to spend those tax revenues on growth enhancing policies and in theory this will help speed up things like planning, which take so long for local authorities to pass normally, and if you can get growth boost, you can just get the planning done a lot more quickly and sort'll make things more efficient.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's the idea. What lessons can be learned though from the experiences in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland where there has already been a lot of devolution.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so this is where it gets a little interesting because obviously Scotland and Wales in particular have seen already have some divation of tax powers that they have they will have. They already have greater tax powers than the English regions. But you can actually see Scotland is able to raise the income tax rate for example. This the powers that are going to go to the English regions are not going to be powers of tax where they can raise tax rates. All they'll be able to do is collect the tax that they generate and keep it. So the Scottish and Welsh lessons that aren't awfully encouraging. They have got greater greater powers over spending and they've got these greater tax powers, but in education and health outcomes they have not been as good as educational health outcomes in England, where England is still extraordinarily centralized. So in that respect it hasn't been. It doesn't look like the great you know, a great model.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Bloomberg Daybreak Europe.
Speaker 2: If you're enjoying the podcast, give us a follow, leave a rating or review, and maybe send it to that one friend or Collin who's always trying to keep up with the news.
Speaker 1: And of one podcast today, isn't it enough for you? You can also listen to us live every weekday from six am in London on DAB Radio, on tune in and on the Bloomberg Business app
Speaker 2: Or if you've got a smart speaker nearby, just say play Bloomberg Radio