Speaker 1: Hello, it was Jesus getepcim and I'm Rosie and Night and welcome back to x ray Vision of the podcast where we dive deep with your favorite shows, movies, and comments and pop culture coming from my Heart World, bringing you three apisd s.
Speaker 2: Week Class Nips. In today's episode, we are going to be discussing the new series that we'll be hitting before the end of the twenty five Twenty twenty five is almost over, guys. Winter is coming and we will be talking about it. Welcome to Derry and a very new secretive sci fi series from Breaking Back creator Vince Gilligan, which I'm very impressed and excited for. Then we will be looking at returning series that we'll be hitting at the end of this year and early next year. How about Stranger Things? Ever heard of it? Ever heard of it? We don't talk about it? And then we'll have a little look see at what's coming out a beginning of twenty twenty six. We got some lanterns Startley Academy. It's gonna be fun. There's a lot of TV coming out and it's almost October, guys, so winter is truly here. Start to hear the jingling of Santa's Bells.
Speaker 1: But first, Stephen King's empire extends across Dairy First show to be aware of It's premiere in October twenty sixth on HBO and HBO Max is It Welcome to Dry not to be confused with Dairy Girls.
Speaker 2: I Love Dary.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Darry, which I believe is a documentary about the troubles in Northern Ireland. No, this is completely This is an expansion and an exploration of the universe, the Stephen Key eight universe from her October twenty sixth, just in time for Spooky Season, Andy Muschetti turns to direct. Bill Scarsgard. Is still that spooky tooth Pennywise clown.
Speaker 2: I know they got him back. I think really having Bill and this is the most important thing. Yeah, he's become so iconic as this modern version of Pennywise, and also the memfication and all the great behind the scenes stuff of him kind of playing with the kids in costume. Everyone wants to see him come back. That's probably the biggest straw. And yeah, this is gonna be interesting. The trailer definitely hints at a bleak, dark mystery and it's gonna be about the history of Derry. So this is actually, I believe, either the parents or the grandparents of the kids from the most recent remake.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also something that was really interesting about the trailer that I did not realize is much like Castle Rock before it or the Beliguered Dark Tower adaptation, this will be set in Stephen King's Connected universe. So we see a bus that is bound for the Shaw Shanks State Penitentiary. We see Dick calleran from The Shining who is actually a major character within this series, it seems, played by Chris Chalk, So it's definitely gonna be really interesting to see how they cross that stuff over. It makes sense to me. These movies until recently were the biggest horror opening of all time, I believe, So I think I get it. I didn't love the remakes. I think they leaned a little bit too heavy into like the kind of like everybody's saying a slur because it's the eighties, and you were like, does this tell me anything about this? But the show looks great. I also love the cast. Jove Anna Deeppo, who was well reased in Watchmen. He's also in Overlord, incredible movie. Taylor Page, who's so good in Zola. Also was recently in the you know, very very old school style, low budget remake of Toxic a Benja. So yeah, I think this is going to be interesting. Jason, as a reader, as a Stephen King lover, what would you like to see them do in this show that is different than what we've seen before with other adaptations.
Speaker 1: Great question, Well, I guess I would like to see if they finally are able to crack the code on a Stephen King kind of interconnected univers You mentioned Castle Rock, which is fun for a little while, but it didn't hit did the way they would it, and kind of seemed like it shaved the weirder edges off of King stuff in a way that didn't make it so engaging. So I'll be interested to see if if this works, if you can create an interconnected Stephen King universe, because then it gets really interesting. I'll also just say, you know it, I read it when I was maybe thirteen or fourteen, I forget when, and I and in retrospect, Stephen has been quite open about how he was kind of like in the depths of his alcoholism and drug addiction at that time, like drinking twelve beers a day while writing this book, and it definitely shows.
Speaker 2: What Oh.
Speaker 1: And it is not my favorite Stephen King book, and it's kind of all over the place and it's quite It's interesting to me that it has become this worldwide smash because it is kind of other than the Clown. The story itself was kind of like just all over the map and water, very weird, very depressing. You know, there's a child gang bang in it. It's exactly that weird glad. But you know, I will say finally.
Speaker 2: Because I think it's interesting to touch on this. It's interesting with starting here because it remakes that machete he made that became this huge success, were so heavily influenced by Stranger Things and the success of Stranger Things. And now we're in a space where HBO is going to be in a world where obviously Stranger Things derivative of it and all those other eighties Stephen King vibes. But if the show had not been so popular, you have Stranger Things cast members who ended up in that as So it's going to can HBO now transition that into a post Stranger Things smash hit that expands the world and becomes like a new you know, standout season for them. I'd be interested to see it.
Speaker 1: Here's my one my one other thing too, what are the difficulties in making a show in which the nemesis who must be defeated is also the kind of the star. And I think we've seen how difficult that can be with the boys now maybe lung onto this too long, And so I'll be interested to see, like just just how much penny Wise is actually in this because again I think penny Wise is kind of the star of it, but also like he's he's got to lose, and are we going to actually feel like at the end of this show, end of this season that we got anywhere if.
Speaker 2: We can't actually and that was stakes.
Speaker 1: There were steaks up next Tallamasca the Secret Order, which is adapted from and Rice's.
Speaker 2: She's still still going.
Speaker 1: She's still going, you know, another one of my high school loves.
Speaker 2: And right, yeah, me too, man, And I feel like, again, it's kind of funny. There's a weird I guess, the kind of thematic conversation throughout these about nostalgia and stuff, because yeah, definitely the case as well. For me, this is also very funny to me because the Talamasca are a key paw of the much believed now whole movie Queen of the Damned, which I recently went to go and watch at the movie theaters at Guardina Cinema, and it was great because they were like Tullamascar Tullamasca librarians. Now it looks like the version that we are gonna get with the Talamasca here is a more modernized, less archivist, more spy. They have funnily.
Speaker 1: Very very secret society.
Speaker 2: Very secret society, spy coded. It's gonna be set in London. It's only six episodes and it's the idea is that this is the connecting tissue between all the immortal universe stuff I will say, which is of Mayfair did not really hit in the way they wanted it to interview the vampire and never been bigger. Season three is gonna be huge. So this is a six episode holdover series basically, But they did draw from a lot of stuff we love Jason, like lots of John Leacarry and the spy who came in from the cold nods here. The Talamasca here is less like an archivist librarian, supernatural kind of observatory space, which is what they are in the books like they're supposed to just observe. Here, they are more active in the supernatural world and have shady agendas. And the one thing that I know me and Joel are very excited for as Interview the Vampire Lovers they did. We do get Eric Bogosian here playing Daniel from Interview the Vampire, so there will be crossover. It is interesting to me because we have seen Justin Kirk playing Raglin James, who I assumed would be the leader of the Talamasca TV show, but they just cast like a random new young white guy. I get it. Sometimes you've got to do that. So this guy, he's his names in this show, his names Guyntona and Totally, and he'll be played by Nicholas Denton and he's basically gonna be our in character to the Talamasca. So six six issues, six episodes.
Speaker 1: As a as an interview with a vampire lover, as an Ann Riis Lover, as a Queen of the Damned, lover rest and peace A Lea. What is your level of excitement for Tallamasca the Secret Order.
Speaker 2: It was relatively low until I saw that Eric Bogosian would be in it. As Daniel Malloy, He's such a standout of the Interview Vampire show. It has given him this kind of second wind in his career. He loves to be a part of this gay, you know, sexy horror universe. And something that I only learned today is that Jason Schwartzman is gonna be in the show as a vampire and he's like hiding away in a cloistered, luxurious Upper West Side penthouse. So I'm like that to me sounds like I need to watch that show. Like, I don't know if I love the Cia m I five of it all, but I love Jason Swatschman, I love Eric Bogosian, I love the Interview the Vampire series, so I'm gonna give it a try. I also love this notion that they are gonna be developing a series called Night Island, which is basically a resort for vampires that they introduced in Queena the Damned. So I like that they're kind of just pushing this wider. And I do feel like Season three into the Vampire, which will now be called The Vampire List stat and will be following Lestat's kind of music career. I think that could be a huge breakout hit for them because of the way that people are excited for it, So it makes sense to build this world out. I'll check it out for sure.
Speaker 1: I will check it out as well. Let me ask you this, because the first thing I thought when seeing this from I really like the kind of spy angle I'll see, we'll see if it works, was that I feel like we're I feel like someone who's good at pitching could pitch this exact sort of like spy framing for a Highlander A return. Oh please, Jason Highlander.
Speaker 2: Dude, guy, I gotta say, if you are listening to this podcast, watch out, because Jason's been letting all the good ideas out of his pocket. So I'm saying give him a call.
Speaker 1: Dude, Highlander in a it's like a spy secret society.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be really sick and like you could have it where, you know, you get those great moments where they'll kind of be going through all the paintings and they'll be like, but wait, he's in, He's that can be only one Highlander agent, guys. Okay, up next.
Speaker 1: The mighty nine adaptation and well not even an updation, a retelling a world expansion of critical roles, many many, many, many episodes with various archetypical characters from inside.
Speaker 2: The D and D world.
Speaker 1: The Mighty nine will basically take some of these storylines and retell them in an animated form, and of course, all your favorite critical role people will be involved in this. This looks really fun and I think it'll be Yeah, I think it's it'll be something really accessible for folks who are like, oh my god, how much critical role do I have, like listen back to in order to like figure out where we are with critical role?
Speaker 2: So many people I know got into D and D because of vox Markina, the first adaptation these guys did. And I have to say, if you're an Invincible lover and you just can't wait for more gorgeously animated Invincible, watch box Markinner. The animation here is just a whole different level. And I spoke to the guys who made wox Mak another guys. I spoke to Kirkman who made Invincible a couple of years ago for a big animation piece at IGN, and all they were kept saying was just anime, anime, anime. None of this stuff would be happening without the success of anime. This is adult animation. These are people are fucking and drinking and getting their heads chopped off, but it's beautifully animated. It's in this completely cool, fantastical world, and yeah, you'll get your kind of half awc warlocks and goblin rogues and it's gonna be really interesting. It is adapting loosely campaign to if you are a big critical role fan, but I would just say, this is so such a great show to just show someone who's been getting into your arcane or your att animation. Volksmakina truly blew me away when I saw it. I didn't really realize people were making animation that looked like that kind of classic hand jowin animation, but in this really beautiful, brutal style. Yeah, I'm excited. And apparently critic Cal is gonna be making a video game too, so I think we'll be there. Empire Plus to Grow, It's gonna keep growing up. Next.
Speaker 1: Not a lot in this teaser trailer. Plorabis on Apple TV Plus, but the creative team unstoppable. It's it's you have to lean forward. If you're a fan of television. Ploribis is the new series sci fi series, apparently from Vince Gilligan. It reunites Vince with Rhea see Horn, of course, Kim Wexler in the incredible, excellent and heartbreaking Better Call Saul. You don't get a lot from the teaser. You just kind of see someone licking donuts. But yeah, it's spooky enough and it's Vince Gilligain, so I'll be there for sure.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. I also think the fact this is on Apple TV plus means we know, like that is where Severance came from, that is where Foundation came from. This is coming the home for weird sci fi. Who wouldn't want a sci fi show from the guy who made Breaking Bad, who made Better of Course? And I mean, I don't know if this is a spicy take anymore. I feel like I'm like ten years out of the conversation. But also like I think Better Course Soul is a better show than Breaking Bad. Like I love that. I know, crazy, spicy, hot takes. I think it's for different I think different people like different things. But my point is we were just talking about, you know, Tallamasca, these places that struggle to get these shows that hits and spin stuff off. Vince didn't have that problem. Vince made Breaking Bad, then went in a completely different direction and made one of the most heart wrenching, incredible drama shows we've ever seen with Back Saw. That was also hilarious. I love the notion that he's now going into genre, and I think this is an interesting point. This is what he said, after fifteen years of anti heroes, I figured it would be time to write something about somebody trying to be good. Now. I think this is something we are starting to see more. This is James Gunn talking about why Superman has to be good, why he doesn't mind being Pollyanna. We're so obsessed with these dark, gritty anti heroes. I'm very excited to see a show about this. And essentially they the pitch is so intriguing, like this is the kind of shit where you're getting a meeting. If you're Vince and you pitch this, you're getting a meeting anyway because you're vinced. But because this is what they say, this is all we know about the show. Seahorn plays Carol, the most miserable person on earth who must save the world from happiness, and the tagline is happiness is Infectious. So I'm just like, I don't know what's going on, but I want to watch it.
Speaker 1: Same here, and let's just take a quick moment. We mentioned it at the beginning of this little segment for this show, Apple TV plus really is betting heavily on sci fi foundation you mentioned Severn's of course Silo j C for all that kind monarch legacy of months Jo season Dark Matter. Like there, it's they are betting heavily on sci fi. Some of it has hit obviously much harder than others, but all very interesting swings.
Speaker 2: So I'm yeah.
Speaker 1: At Murder Bond, I forgot to say, oh.
Speaker 2: My God, which by the way ended up being like a sleep a hit for them, which did kind of predict and we all getting a season two. I think you make a great point, Apple plus, Apple TV plus ever since the opening, I mean I went to the first step visit Apple Ever did and it was formed all Mankind and that still stands as one of the best sci fi shows that we've gotten.
Speaker 1: And the loss at that absolute sleeper show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I love that they're investing in this stuff, and I can't wait A love re A Seahorn and I can't wait to see where this goes. It sounds like the exact kind of weird kind of Zero's British TV, like Utopia or something where you never see what's coming and then once it hits you're just obsessed.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. Efforts and we're back, folks. The kids are now thirty five thirty children have children in real life. Yes, of course we're talking about season five, the final season of Stranger Things and the final season of content by the Duffer brothers at the Home where they broke big Netflix folks. Whoof I wonder now how excited people really will be. It's been a long it's been. It feels like it's been a long time since season four.
Speaker 2: It's been nine years since season one too, So like, that's not crazy, that's crazy. This is I think also representative, ironically of the impact of Stranger Things in many ways, because Stranger Things was Netflix's big global smash post the prestige arrival of House of Cards, and this was a cultural phenomenon and it established what people then wanted from streaming. It also set up the binge model as the way to watch a new show. But with all of that said, we also ended up in this situation with these huge gaps in between seasons, and as the shows became bigger than the kids went out to do other stuff, and suddenly you end up in a situation where you can't get them all back or and so we've ended up in a situation where Stranger Things is essentially like a microcosm for a lot of the complaints people have about streaming. And it's been five years since Stranger Things Season four air, which is crazy, Jason, because we caught up on the Xtra vision with the final episodes of that season four years ago, like just when it was ending. So yeah, just absolutely crazy to me. Uh, the final season is gonna be split. First four episodes are gonna premier a Thanksgiving, the next three at Christmas, and the finale on December thirty. First there, they're really milking it. And they've also been talking about how these will be, you know, the classic another microcosm of streaming drama. Some of these are gonna be movie length TV episodes, like a movie. Guys, it's gonna be a movie on TV. But yeah, it's gonna be interesting. I think all this is what we know about it. Last season, they got a new villain in Vecna and this season they're basically gonna be hunting for Vecna and and this is going to be a more actively supernatural season. And it is interesting because the Dupper Bros. Came from Netflix. It's huge smash hit, like life changing, so much money, so much fame. But recently it was announced, as you said, they're moving to Paramount Huge, which I think is a huge, huge deal. So yeah, I'm intrigued. I don't really know what is to come. I think the biggest conversation that I have seen among my friends, among our Discord users, among people who do still have passion for this show, hilariously, is mostly around Eddie Munson and how they hope he comes back this season. So let's see if they've got that. Joseph Quinn in the MCU money, Jason, do you have any feelings about the final season? What do you want? What would make this an unmissible show for you as we head into the end of the year.
Speaker 1: I it's a real like a real climax to the very winding story that ties in all the disparate kind of like personal elements from the real world and the supernatural elements and the upside down and then answers some of the mysterious questions. That would be really cool. I'm also interested more than that, though, I'm interested to see what the reaction is. You mentioned how long it's been. I mean the volume season four, Volume one premiere May twenty seven, twenty two, Crazy and nine years is a is a immense period of time in pop culture. Do people still have the same sort of excitement and feeling for stranger things that they did three years ago or nine years ago. I'll be really fascinated to see that.
Speaker 2: Because also the gap between seasons is very different. It's not like Game of Thrones, right where every year we got a new season, so the cultural conversation keeps flowing over the eight years. This is a very much an EBB and a flow that's often the kind of non binge mode drops anymore, where you kind of just like suddenly are in a situation where you have to watch one section, then you're waiting for another section, then you're waiting for another section. Also, something very interesting about this that I think hints at how popular Netflix knows this is, and they must be getting the views. They are actually not exclusively at paramount. They are still going to be making two new seasons, The Burrows and something very Bad is gonna happen, which sounds very image comics to me, so yeah, I'm interested. There's also going to be a Stranger Things Tales from eighty five animated series, so yeah, it will be intriguing to see where this goes. Could be the biggest show of the year, could just kind of fall off, But I think the Christmas the holiday release schedules very clever because people are gonna want to talk about it, they're gonna want to see it, and obviously we will be catching you up in some very new fun xtra vision style formats leading into the show and making sure that you have a ton of stuff to watch around it if you are very inspired by the nostalgia rob it All when it hits later this year.
Speaker 1: Next up, Percy Jackson season two will premiere December tenth. This is, of course, based on the second installment of the acclaimed Ya series by Rick Reardan. Riridon is also writing the show for television. The same super fun cast from season one, including a Friend of the Pajas and Manzuk Dias.
Speaker 2: That's such good, costing, lightly great, and we're going to also have Courtney b Vance is actually coming in to take over the role of Zeus because Laence Reddick passed out. Kristin Shawl, Sandra Bernard and Margaret Chow are going to be there as the Gray Sisters. I think, if you are a fan we just said this, you know Stranger Things, right, that's a show about kids coming together having these adventures. This is such an underrated show. Rick Riordon got to finally have the kind of more creative influence he'd always wanted over this. The cast are incredible. It's so much fun.
Speaker 1: If you are someone it looks great, it looks really good.
Speaker 2: It's no question is one of the best Disney Plus shows. I would put that alongside all Marvel shows. It's so high quality. It's so much fun. If you love the books, you will love it. I also think something that's really exciting about this that people don't quite comprehend is Brick Riddan. Yeah, he built out this universe and it's incredible and I love the Percy Jackson universe. But he has also been bringing in other authors to expand out different mythologies, different laws, different characters. I think there's so much space here to play around in and so much chance for the characters to mature and grow. I would say, look, if you're somebody who has fallen out of love with a certain magical school and its author, then this out this gives you that nostalgic, fun, adventurous space. And if you are a millennial, then it also will get you very excited because didn't we all have like a Greek gods and mid like, didn't you have that phase? I loved my Greek mythology, and I found.
Speaker 1: I used to just read the Encyclopedia like chapters on exactly and be like, Oh, that's so cool.
Speaker 2: This has that excitement and it has that level of law in it where if you were into that stuff as a kid, you get to be excited, catch the easter eggs, enjoy it, and like we said, incredible cost.
Speaker 1: So I had part of that cast is Lynn Manuel Miranda as Hermes. I wanted to why they should have got lind to have a different haircut.
Speaker 2: Oh, my god, seems.
Speaker 1: Because he himself it's like can we get this, yes, long hair or something.
Speaker 2: This was actually this was also a problem in his doc materials. Yes not the show, which you should watch on HBO. It's so good. So I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't Lynn ever have different haircuts and the different roles he played literally just like Alexander Hamilton and Everty Row.
Speaker 2: Now, come on, guys, give him awake, give him awake.
Speaker 1: Something, give us something. Shame it down, grow it out, do something. Fellas all right. Fallout Season two comes out December seventeenth, twenty twenty five, and of course this is bringing in the much loved DLC New Vegas bringing it to the screen. Uh, we have some new cast members, including Justin throw Oolang I am listen. We loved season one, loved it was one of the for me, the surprises of the calendar you're on TV. I was I don't know exactly what I thought.
Speaker 2: We were blown away by it. We just didn't understand the level of care and detail that went into this show.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I was expecting, but I think, you know, having had you know, being in La and talking to people who are like in the orbit around season one, it seemed like it was a little bit of a mess and nobody was quite sure if it was gonna work. And of course, you know, Jonathan Nolan famously you know, had a divisive we'll say divisive show in Westworld that I think came in with a lot of ambitions and didn't necessarily deliver on any of them, and so I was I was. I came in with very low expectations for Fallout season one and was floored. So I'm so excited for season two, especially because if you're a fan of the Fallout video games series as I am, New Vegas has a special place.
Speaker 2: It's the peak. Like for me, that was the first one. One of my best friends that bring her up on airon law is in London, my best the Alex, and she is the big Triple A gamer out of us, and I'd seen her play Fallout, but New Vegas was the first one that we played together, and that felt like it was like you had to know about it, you had to see the world. I was also lucky enough to go to both fall Out houses, one at Halloween Horror Nights in Orlando and one at Halloween Horror Nights in La. The La fall Out House is much scarier if you're planning on going this year. And I will say that at the end, they do tease a cool new creature that people will know from the games too, so they are They did some really fun synergy there to tease what was coming in season two, but also give people the experience of going through the vault breaking out, and of course the Ghoul, which you know the Ghool. Girlies love him. And I will say, guys, if you want to see a sexy gal, you got to go to Orlando. They got a full prosthetic sexy gol La just has masks. But yes, I'm very interested. Think it looks great. I think that what we what they tease at the end of season two, put your earmuffs on if you do not want to know a spoiler for season two and the fallout Halloween Horonites Maze. They do tease the death Claw, which is like a really beloved, kind of cool, predatory, scary, scary, big horned beast. Jason. Yeah, as a fallout New Vegas lover, what would you like to see make it to the screen unchanged? Like, what is the moment that you would like to see or the vibe you would like to feel from a New Vegas season. I don't you know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because thinking about what made season one work, it's not that things were quote unquote unchanged, It's that the basic kind of texture and feel. The wackiness of the games. No one tried to make it cool, you know what I mean. They didn't try to be like, oh this is too weird or too discordant or no. They were just like, just make drug elements don't work or the you know, the kind of like over the top fifties elements don't work. And so I guess basically what I'm hoping is the kind of punk rock, radioactive biker gang ethos like yeah, kind of like super weird monster feel, the kind of like desert wasteland grease it meets grease kind of feel of New Vegas is just there. I don't mind that they change certain things or then certain hideouts or certain characters look perhaps different than they may have looked in the in the in the game stuff is like five years old.
Speaker 2: It's just that.
Speaker 1: Does the do they stay authentic to the texture and the feel of the story of the game itself, which they did so effectively in season one? And I have hopes for season two. Let's take a quick break and won't be right back at d and we're back with our final two shows. We actually don't have a release date yet, we just know twenty twenty six. But there are things we're super excited for, and the first up is one that we have been theorizing about a lot in our connotations. Laker Truly Right and His Lanterns, the upcoming HBO Max series that will introduce Hal Jordan and John Stewart, John Stewart, the the Green Lantern to James Gunns new DC Universe. I know people, by the way, who were who were confused about the John Stewart John Stuart like who who are not aware that there is a Green Lantern character named John Stewart.
Speaker 2: There are many many a Green Lantern's, and yes, that one is named John Stewart, and it's very funny and we've all laughed about it for many years since he was first introduced. Yes, but Jason Post that crazy episode of you know, well, let's just talk peace Maker Season two has been a smash it, doing some really interesting stuff, doing some really subversive stuff. Do we feel like Lantern's is going to be able to continue that while branching out into what seems like a more obviously kind of prestige, serious thriller style TV show.
Speaker 1: Well, I have much higher hopes now than I did before. Peacemaker season two. I think what this season of Peacemaker has shown is that James Gunn has a knack for weaving together the disparate parts of his DCEU really interesting ways. The connective tissue is fascinating, and judging by Peacemaker season two, I would expect that there are going to be very definite things that happen in Peacemakers that then go on to affect other movies and shows in different ways. And I'm now super excited because I think I'm having such a fun time with Peacemaker season two, And of course I loved Creature Commandos, and I think Superman was amazing. Yeah, and so I think James Gunn is on a high right now. He's killing it, super excited for this.
Speaker 2: What did we you think? What do you so? Yeah? I'm always a bit scared when something is like pitched as like a True Detective, even though we all know season one True Detective fucking incredible, like unbelievable vibes, I still don't necessarily feel like it stuck the landing. But I think that's also kind of the point of the first season. It's very much about like transience and and how we interact with people and obviously incredible costing their unintentionally of two half brothers apparently too with the you know, Boody Harrison and Matthew mcconaugh. Unbelievable first season, but very hard to keep up with the hype of being compared to that are the seasons have struggled with that. But I will say I think that with everything we've seen in James Gunns DCU, we know that he trusts other people and trusts his collaborators to do interesting, different stuff. And they literally hired the showrunner Chris Mundy, who worked on Ozark and True Detective, so at least you're going to the right people like yeah, And what Chris Mundy told Vanity Fair recently was he doesn't feel like Green Lantern is part of a larger storytelling plan, and he felt season one is designed to be its own complete season of television that hopefully will become many seasons of TV. But we know that that doesn't mean that there's not going to be crossover. We know that Guy Gardiner will be in the show. We know that we will likely see the Lanterns coming into the end of Peacemaker season one. Also, season two. Also interesting here, Deadline basically reported that there's not gonna be a season three of Peacemaker, So this is what James S. Gunn told them. He said, you're gonna find out more about it in episode eight because it's not necessarily that some of these characters will continue. But also it's not exactly Peacemaker season three. I'm not ruling it out. You'll see an episode eight and maybe you'll find out a little bit more us so that I think could also potentially they will end up in Earth X, where, by the way, we were right, James Gunn said he's calling it Earth two because it's the second Earth we've seen, but to him it is Earth X. So I think we could see that Eleventh Street kids stuck there or in a different universe or something, and maybe that's why we don't necessarily get the season three we get. But I'm very excited to see where this is gonna go, especially because James Gunn's other kind of more serious spinoff that he was planning was gonna be the Amanda Wallace spinoff focused on Viola Davis's suicide squad Bobs, and that has been a slowgo on development. I don't doubt people have great ideas for it. But Viola Davis is Viola Davis, so you've gotta be bringing her the big money if she's running a show like that and is the star, So I think that's probably why. But yeah, I mean Jason Ritter, I think one of the most underrated actors. He's in there as Billy McConn. We're gonna have Kelly McDonald as Terry, who's also gonna be How's love interest, Nicole Ari Parker as a character called Bernadette. We are also going to have a new on screen Sinestro played by Olric Thompson, and he's going to be a rogue former member of the Green Lantern Corps, which I think is interesting that they are not posing him as directly the antagonist. Maybe this is going to be part of the bigger threat that we get that will see Superman and Lex have to team up in twenty twenty seven for Man of Tomorrow, and this is very interesting. They say that we'll have Garrett Dillahunt, who was on Father Walking Dead, as William con a right self righteous, conspiracy minded man who masks his ruthless ambition behind a charming and calculated.
Speaker 1: Facons like our sounds like our big bad like.
Speaker 2: Our big bad guys. And also again I couldn't be more excited post Peacemaker episode six, James gunn gets my belief and trust. Now, if you write someone's gonna make a show about conspiracy theorist or blah blah blah, I said, Oh, is this gonna be the right thing? Do they have the juice? Can they tell a story that feels important and relevant in twenty twenty five? James Gun's just proved he can do that with Peacemaker season two, So I'm excited for this one. Jason. I think it could also be a big crossover hit with the true prestige TV crowd if it really does bring that level of true detective quality and kind of gravitas.
Speaker 1: Up next, and finally, Star Trek Starfleet Academy. You mentioned like if you're a little sick of the particular magic school, and this was one of This is one of those projects where I'm like, what took so long? This is a great idea.
Speaker 2: I literally pitched no joke. I mean, I think I can say this, but I mean I pitched a comic with this exact title, like many years ago, and that is not like they did not take that idea. Stuff Late Academy exists, but I feel like it is when you love Star Trek and you love this kind of thing, you gotta wonder. You're like, why didn't this so long? How was this not something paramount made in the CW era. Why wasn't this something they made as a competitor to the Arrow Verse? I don't know, but you know what, good news. Speaking of the CW, this shot in Toronto, So you're back in that Canadian TV making space, which often hints that maybe you're going to be doing more than one season. If you get to make a first season in Canada, you might be set up there for a while. So they recently wrapped. No premiere date, but there is a ten episode first season. Very exciting, also not ending up like the Michelle Yo series that got kind of truncated into a movie due to production and was not necessarily beloved. They also say that it's already renewed for season two. Wow, So I am very excited about this. This is gonna be a very interesting time in Star Trek canon too, because it's gonna be set in the thirty second century and it will follow the first new class of Starfleet cadets in over a century as they come of age and train to be officers. I'm in you already got me?
Speaker 1: Guys, Ye got me? The trailer looks very slick. It looks like a million zillion bucks. Yeah, and again the idea is kind of what took so long?
Speaker 2: It's literally, you guys have been sitting on money, like this is money. You could have had a kids show, a ya show. Yeah, but they know and I will say, whoever the casting person for this is understands that this could be a long running show because you've got Holly Hunter oscar Winner love Her, you got Paul Giamatti Austin on the Knee, you got Robert Picado from Voyager the Doctor, So you're getting some star trek Cannon. There also Tignataro, one of the most popular characters from Discovery, will be coming back as Jet. And then we're gonna have Tatiana maslani Or from Black and Cha Hulk. When will she finally get her emmy? Guys, maybe this will be the show. WWE superstar Becky Lynch. I guess she's trying to make that crossover. And Mary Wiseman who's also from Discovery, who will play Sylvia. It's gonna be really interesting. Also Jonathan Frakes Riiker, who he's directed a lot of recent Star Trek and Classic Star Trek. He was at Indianapolis Comic Com recently and said this is the most massive set of any Star Trek ever. There is also a spaceship on the show, which I think, well, I hope that's not our blip secret. I have been known and I've had a bad experience with oversharing, he says, I hope that wasn't an overshare. But it's fabulous. The sets of great, The scripts are they're funny, which is always helpful on Star Trek, and that hints that while this is called Starfleet Academy, we can assume that like every other season of Star Trek, there will be a new ship and a new crew. And I am a fan of modern Star Trek. I think they've done some really interesting stuff. But yeah, Jason, again, I mean this is like, I feel like this is printing money if you get it right. And I feel like twenty twenty six and in the wake of HBO trying to adapt The Magic School Show again and everything, I feel like there is a prime place for another kid centric show. And again going back to Stranger Things, this is what has been the meat and potatoes of streaming services. Are these big ya hits, shadow and bone stranger things. These things have been at the heart of what makes streaming successful and even shows like Squid Game or Money Heist that are not necessarily in that space are still playing to that young audience. So I think if they got it right, this could be Paramount's most successful new star Trek.
Speaker 1: I completely agree if they get it right.
Speaker 2: If they get it right, well, lots of TV to.
Speaker 1: Look forward to. On the next episodes of X ray Vision, we're diving into the staying power of K pop Demon Hunters plus Aaron interviews Jenner Andrews and Stephen Kirk, the writing team behind Free and this.
Speaker 2: Is what it sounds like, this is why it sounds like my favorite song of this movie.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, bye. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bai Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Ruba and Chris Lord. Kenny Goodman and Heidi are Discord moderator h m hm