Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of Iheartrading.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Nol.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Paul, mission controlled decads. Most importantly, you are you. You are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. A little bit sleep deprived, we're on the road, two thirds of us. But we decided to make good on something we talked about previously. In an earlier episode, we explored a frightened conspiracy surround in prison corruption, tainted blood products, and a global network of blood brokers who, through either net leigence or knowing misconduct, gave thousands of people incredibly dangerous infections HIV, hepatitis, probably more. And in that episode, remember we noted that this was only one blood conspiracy when we'd have to return to them in the future.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, So please do go back and check out Bad Blood Part one for the kind of groundwork of how blood and plasma donations work. We will go into some more further detail about that on this episode. We also in that previous episode go into why transfusions are so very important, as well as a brief history of some of the medical breakthroughs that include things like plasma products and the things that can be used to help treat very serious diseases. Hence the extra kind of ickiness when these kind of shortcuts are taken that result in people who are desperately in need of remedy end up being infected when all they are trying to do is cure themselves of an already life threatening condition like hemophilia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is a very good thing, just to get it out in the front, like the idea of blood, transfusions, donations, plasma, all of that has saved millions and millions of lives. Every year. People donate over one hundred million units of blood across the globe. And we talked a little bit about units in our previous episode. I don't think we defined it, so just in case, a unit of blood is about five hundred and twenty five milliliters, roughly the equivalent of one pint, So for loose cocktail napkin blood math, that's a one hundred million pints of blood, which sounds like a lot, and it's a lot. It's a lot of blood. It's if you saw it in one room, you would be like, this is too much blood.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well yeah, because there are things called blood banks that came around in the late nineteen thirties nineteen thirty seven, where it's a.
Speaker 4: Vampire to make their deposits.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but sorry, it is. They make all their deposits. They also make lots of withdraws. But it is crazy to think that since then, since the late nineteen thirties, we have had these things called blood banks. Refrigeration and storage techniques improved a lot from that time. But one of the biggest problems with storing this huge amount of blood that we're talking about here is how quickly that blood goes bad, right yeah, yeah, which means it means there has to be a constant basically flow of blood into the blood banks and out of the blood banks, or else it's wasted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there needs to be a churn there, and not everyone is. There's like a base expected demand for blood or plasma, but not everyone in need of a transfusion needs the same amount of blood obviously, and individual cases vary on so many There are just so many variables, right. We know that demand can also vary by region, peak holiday periods, illnesses like a pandemic, for example, and even just the time of the year can make a big difference because there are times when you know, car accidents might spike and things of that nature. So there's another issue too, right, you have to have the churn. This is not stuff that you should legally or ethically just keep around and roll the dice on. And not everybody can donate blood.
Speaker 4: I would be interested to know a stat I'm not sure we have this today of how much blood does go to waste if waste is maybe the right word there, because you know, it does have a shelf life. And I would think that there would be people in charge of these types of programs that are gauging demand and you know, keeping that in mind or taking that into account.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, in part one, one of the major issues in the Factor eight issue when we were talking about the Arkansas prison system was that their refrigerant systems went out, and almost immediately when that occurs, if the blood has been stored in a non refrigerated unit, it should be thrown away with all of these blood donation programs like across the board anywhere. If it if this blood that's stored is not refrigerated, it should go because it's no longer viable and safe to use. But I don't know. I guess my point here is that keeping stuff cold is very important and that's one of the only reasons that we can actually, you know, have large amounts of this stuff. We didn't even talk about blood types right because of it.
Speaker 4: We did it, but we did just yeah, yeah, just in terms of like the universal donor and all of that stuff, and then some of the rarer types, and it is really quick. We did find the stat eight point eight seven percent of units donated apparently are discarded in the UK, so globally, globally, it would seem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess there are many reasons why you would have to discard great samples or whatever these leaders of blood.
Speaker 3: If it's contaminated, then that would be ethically and legally a reason to discard it. We also needed to talk a little bit about the importance of heating different blood products as a way of removing infections. That's what we're saying is is a very important thing. It has saved many, many lives, and there is a lot of stuff that can go wrong, like right now, due to the restrictions on eligibility for blood donors only, like only thirty percent of the US population is thought to be eligible, and there are all kinds of reasons for that, you know, like you are not supposed to donate blood, if you have used needles to inject drugs or steroids without doctor's recommendation HIV, if you have ever had actual relations and return for drugs or money, if you have a couple of different specific diseases, or if you have if you're pregnant, So fewer people can give blood that we might assume. And right now in the US, if you are giving blood, you are donating your blood. You are voluntarily giving it away. But if you're donating plasma, which takes longer, then you you can get compensated. Plasma donations can be compensated in the US just because the process is more involved, Like depending on the version of plasma donation, it's at least ninety minutes to donate, and then you probably are going to be there for two hours because you have to hang out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and definitely eat the cookies. When they offer you cookies, because that's you should need to get that sugar back in your system. But guys, thirty eight percent of people can donate right are eligible. Then let's really think about how many people actually donate, because if like think about voting, everybody that can vote, and then how many people actually vote and take the time to do it. And in this case, you know, a somewhat selfless act, unless you're giving the plasma donation, maybe you can argue that it's you know, for money, but most of this is a selfless act to donate blood. I just wonder how many people actually donate every year. It's got to be pretty low.
Speaker 4: It does seem like the number has also decreased over the last twenty years. According to a couple of sources that I found about.
Speaker 3: Forty okay, I was looking at a Red Cross as well too. They have specific demographics of people like the most the age, an identity or the age, and like ethnicity or socioeconomic status. To the people most likely to donate blood, it's college educated males between thirty and fifty or something like that. And this this means that, yeah, I think is an appropriate example. A lot of people can do this do not. And sometimes it's like one of those things where you think, oh, it's good in theory, but I won't go out of my way to do it. However, if I'm like walking by the mall and I see a blood drive, then I'm happy to do it when I come across it, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I would just have to admit that I don't man, and I should. I know, I should. The only people I donate blood to or Lab Corp. And that's when they're testing me out. You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got a real aversion to needles and that's no excuse. And maybe this will be the year that I put on my big boy pants and do that, because you know, Ben, I was looking around and I found a very recent article on NBC News with some quotes from the Red Cross saying that I didn't think about this, but because of things like COVID that blood donation has significantly dropped even further. And it was already way down, and they said in this article that over the past twenty years it has decreased by about forty percent, so they they categorize it as catastrophic levels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had the first ever I think we mentioned some of this in part one. But they had the first ever like blood crisis, they declared it recently, and it was due to the pandemic. It also we see that during times of peace of these donations start to peter down a little bit, because you know, if there's a war going on, if there's a war effort, then all the there's patriotism involved. Right now, you're doing your part for the folks on the front line. But yeah, for any number of reasons, this donation stuff, even when it goes well, it is a continual churning process, and the system is far from perfect. The industry has made horrific fatal missteps in the past. We talked about Factor eight, just the quick and dirty on that and the Factor eight scandal. Prisoners were exploited to donate blood even when they were known to have HIV and hepatitis, and this affected innocent people around the world. To this day, we don't know how many were impacted by these products that all came from a single prison. All we know is this is not the only example attained to products. Maybe, before we move on a little bit further, we should talk about another documentary we're mentioning this off air Bad Blood, which is a great compliment to the other documentary Factor eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can check it out. You can find it. I think you've found it on Amazon right ben where you can actually watch it right now. It's a documentary that was at least produced or released on behalf of the creator marilynd Ness and PBS in public broadcasting, and came out twenty ten. It's like about an hour and a half. It's a feature length documentary. It's about the same thing. I would say, at least from everything I've read about it. I have not watched it yet. According to the synopsis, it's about the ten thousand people with hemophilia that were using this Factor eight product who were infected with either HIV, hepatitis C, or some combination.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so check that out to get another angle on what's happening here. Neither of those films really mention what we're going to explore today, because it turns out other countries have plenty of bad blood scandals all their own. We're going to pause for a word from our sponsors, and then we'll head east. Here's where it gets crazy. There is a disturbing, perhaps equally if not more disturbing example of when the blood trade goes wrong from China, and it involves something called plasma farese, which is our unfortunate word for the day. It's the fancy term for kind of plasma donation where long story short, they take the plasma out of you, they separate the plasma for the breast of your stuff that makes up your blood, and then they put that junk back inside you. Why, they heist one piece of your blood so that they don't fully deplete your supplies.
Speaker 2: So like the they okay, they take all the blood out, they take your plasma, they spin it and they take your plasma. Then they put your red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets all back in. Just shove them back in you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well slowly with finesse.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Is that is that standard operating procedure or is this a bad move?
Speaker 3: This is this is in theory, a really good way to do it.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And from nineteen ninety one to nineteen ninety five in China, the Henan provincial government had this kind of plasma campaign and they were paying people, mostly farmers, mostly not very wealthy people in rural areas to participle. Yeah. Well, oh, God, the life of people lived, the life of people in these rural towns was often really challenging, and the market was just becoming liberalized. So this blood plasma economy, that's what they called the campaign. How nosparatu is that it seemed like a good idea at first, so they called this. The authorities called this thing the Blood Plasma Economy Initiative, which sounds straight out of like count Orlock and nosparatu, but it could have been. It was a win win because biotech firms had a huge demand for massive supply of blood. They had so much plasma and they had so much cash to burn. This was also a great program for middlemen, for blood brokers. There was a lot of profit to be made.
Speaker 2: So okay, so these biotech companies are paying every one of these people to come in and donate their plasma. That's what we're saying.
Speaker 3: No, not that owing there. What's happening is it's a market, a markup game like any other middleman game. The the people in these rural areas are selling their plasma for something like the equivalent of ten dollars and ninety cents for six hundred grams. But then the blood stations the plasma stations are turning around and they're selling that for a significant markup to the biotech companies.
Speaker 2: It's it sounds exactly like the factory thing, right, because the prisoners were making like seven dollars per donation. But there was it. Yeah, their money wasn't real. It was for inside the system they're existing in, and then the biotech companies are turning that around for what do we say it was? It was something insane like one hundred and something dollars per donation that they made.
Speaker 4: And it was also like a government contract too, like you know where the prison had kind of made this deal, this sweetheart deal, and no one would cop to any of the mouthfeasons ever along the way. And I don't believe as far as where we left off in the documentary that we discussed and you know the work of Kelly Doudah, anyone has really taken the fall in any kind of big, you know, significant, meaningful way.
Speaker 2: But I get what you're saying, Ben, So if that, if this structure is in place, you're saying, a middle person that that can get between those two systems, right, can make crazy amounts of money. Probably, how does.
Speaker 4: One become said middle person, is this a licensed thing? Is how do you get into the blood broker biz?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, I mean if you just have blood.
Speaker 3: Most of the folklore what happens is your master bites you, but you don't get any of their blood, so you're imbused with certain abilities.
Speaker 4: It is vampiric, though the whole thing is very I don't know a great example of taking advantage of a system that doesn't have enough oversight, it would seem yeah, and this was.
Speaker 3: A long problem. So one misconception about this I think that happened when it was initially reported in the West is the blood plasma economy, which in the beginning was hailed as this amazing thing, like this kind of thing economists should study and health professionals should study. It does not come out of the blue. It is indeed an escalation an expansion of programs in China dating back to the nineteen forties where they built out, you know, as they had more and more people moving into these huge cities, they had a growing demand for blood and they went to the urban or they went from the urban to the rural areas to supply it. So they've been doing this for decades. The blood plasma economy, which was starting in you know, nineteen ninety This was the rise of the well they're called like the sueta or the bloodheads, and they were already they were already established well enough that they had a street name for people who made a living like this.
Speaker 2: And some of these are people who are donating or the people who were collecting.
Speaker 3: These were people who were doing both, so it could get yeah, in general, refer to people in the industry and these middlemen, you know, they might go into a village and they might organize a group travel to a station, right, and then they get a viig off that. So by the time the BP blood plasm economy comes into play, they're already thousands of public donation centers and commercial private monetized centers, and those private were commercialized ones those are owned by the blood brokers often right, So you know, think about it, though in the nineteen nineties, you're in a rural, agrarian part of trying, a payment for one plasma donation could be more than you would make in a month.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's a lot of parallels here with the closed system of a prison. I mean not to say that these farmers are you know, imprisoned per se, but they are cut off from the rest of society, you know, at least the more industrialized parts of the country, and it would seem that they are being incentivized in a way that's similar to the way the prisoners were being incentivized. And it can cause some weird, shady math, I believe somewhere down the line.
Speaker 2: It feels like morals get bent often when there is that kind of what monetary incentivization. I mean, look at capitalism. Hey, but yeah, it's just on both.
Speaker 4: Sides though, with the folks donating and with the folks that maybe would be turning a blind eye because gosh, it's such a sweetheart deal. We can't you know, pass up any We need all the blood we can get.
Speaker 2: Well, think about right now, if you could double your monthly wage, like right now, if you can go donate blood and double your monthly wage. You don't you don't not do that right.
Speaker 3: Right It's and it's also there are a couple of other things that get twisted here. One of them is, you know, if you are the authorities who are most like on paper, the people required to keep this all on the up and up, on the government side. Then you also have a quota of the amount of blood that you are expected to produce with your programs, and a number of things you have to supply to hospitals. So which do you prioritize more? You know, it's like no child left behind? I mean, it isn't it.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. Like, when you have this mandate that is very unreasonable, you're going to do whatever it takes to reach it. You know.
Speaker 3: Boeing excuse me, another Boeing panel left work early? Guys, Are you serious? I just passed.
Speaker 4: John Oliver a bit and that they Wow, how are they going to come back from that?
Speaker 2: That is wild?
Speaker 4: Because they're too big to fail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a too big to fail thing in an industry that has a little bit of what we call plot armor in the world of fandom in fiction.
Speaker 4: Now, not to derail, but I did not quite realize that those planes are the one with the door got sucked down off was brand new. I did not realize that these are like like like systematic design flaws and or quality control flaws.
Speaker 2: It's wild. Yeah, well, man, well, don't don't talk about it and go to your car at your hotel. Just don't go out to your car that's parked at your hotel. If you're talking about this stuff, that's all.
Speaker 3: And do make sure that if you are worried about that, you spread the word well at advance and several times on record, tell people that you will never take your own life, and you know, let us know, let us know what goes. There's another twist to this blood plasma economy program. If you are paying people to donate plasma and or blood, then you're removing any success for voluntary donation because now people even and try to tried it for a while, but even people who voluntary would have voluntarily donated blood or plasma, they're saying, well, why the hell would I do that now when I could just go a town over and get paid to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no reason it.
Speaker 3: So we see these economic incentives, if not part of an active conspiracy, they do coalesce and they have a cumulative effect. This shows us that, I don't know, it's important to remember this blood economy thing, blood plasma economy, it came as a result of earlier stuff. So wouldn't that mean in theory, lessons learned from the earlier programs would make it more of a win win, like the brokers, the biotech still makes a lot of money and then the people donating stay safe and the people getting the donations stay safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, how stable was that system because it seems like you could build it to where everybody wins. So it was right, everything was fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's our show. Thanks for tuning in, fans. Yeah. No, the the absolutely right. The theory could be fine, but the problem stem from the way the plasma is extracted. And I think it would be it's smart for us to walk through what actually happens here. We were not being facetious where we said, we're not being you know, we're not doing a bit when we say they would take stuff from you and then put your blood back in you. Although I know it sounds like a four year old trying to describe blood donation, but we're not medical experts. This is true though. They did take stuff and put it back in.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So let's go through the steps. Step one, insert a syringe into a person's body that goes into their bloodstream and take out the blood. That's all the blood, by the way, that's like the whole blood.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, not all of their blood.
Speaker 2: No, no, to just his whole blood. It's got all the parts.
Speaker 4: Step two we've talked about the spinning part of the process, where in the plasma is separated from the blood in a centrifuge. That is a machine that has then used to extract that plasma. Step three, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yes, step three. After the plasma is extracted, like like you're saying, that takes a while for them to separate this stuff, then that the same blood minus the plasma is pumped back into the person's body. So it's a more involved process. It sounds super weird. We think so too, but it is completely safe so long as everybody's following the SOPs of sterilization and safety. That did not happened.
Speaker 4: Real quick aside, is this the same process that was or is done over here putting the blood back in? Or is this is there something unique about this particular process.
Speaker 3: I'm not on factor eight and correct is here, folks on factor eight. I think they were just taking the plasma and separating it after they extracted it. I don't know if they were putting it back in the bodies. I think the main you know, for them, the problem was they weren't vetting the donors very well, and then they were also through negligence, they were spreading infections from donors to other donors.
Speaker 4: And we should also add that, similarly to you know what what ended up happening with the factor eight. The advances of biotechnologlogy have led to synthesized versions of this that don't require the actual plasma. So that's a good thing moving forward. But we're in the thick of this part right now that very much aligns with the factor eight story in terms of this was the only game in town forgetting that plasma for creating these products. Plasma itself is still needed, but in terms of using it to make the hemophilia medications, and.
Speaker 2: I'm stuck on the steps that we just described because in my mind, if you're going to do this properly and as you as you state had been, you know, through sterilization like standards and those kinds of things. Let's say let's say I donated blood, my blood gets taken out, it gets spun in a centrifuge that only contains my blood. That way, when the plasma is left and you've still got the red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets that stuff goes directly back into my body, right, because it's my blood. Get it back in my body. Please. Thank you were saying that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: We're saying that's what's supposed to happen. And in between donors and donation instances, then the all the material would be either cleaned or thrown away. Right, the needle gets thrown out into a biohazard container, this interfuge gets sterilized, et cetera, et cetera. That's what is supposed to happen. However, as Kim Sang puts it right in for the Singtile Daily, the blood plasma economy was such a booming business. It was such like a bitcoin. All of a sudden, it seemed like a huge It was like an oil boom really, except for blood.
Speaker 2: And you couldn't get the blood out fast enough right and turn those donation tables basically.
Speaker 3: And so the needles were being recycled, the bags that held the blood were being recycled. Other instruments, can painters that had like had direct contact with human blood, we're getting recycled. And some people, some stations, we still don't know how many mixed different blood blood from different donors in the same centrifuge, creating massive possibilities for contamination because the way it works is, yeah, it doesn't like let's say, in the course of a day, let's say, you know, anywhere from twelve to fifty people, their blood got mixed in with this unknowingly, and then as things get reused over the course of the day, if let's say the third person or the fourteenth person who donates plasma has hepatitis or they have HIV, then everyone in line after them when that stuff is getting pumped back into them now they've got it too.
Speaker 4: And guys, I want to apologize. I think I made sort of a dumb point earlier. At least this stuff we're talking about here isn't the same as the Arkansas story because they're not making this serum. They're not making factor eight or a product to treat hemophilia. This is exclusively plasma donation for people who need plasma transfusions or for other medical procedures other than I guess it could end up in pools of the stuff that is used for the same kind of medication, right, yeah, but not specifically for that.
Speaker 3: It goes straight to the biotech companies to make any number of things with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, it could still you know, hurting people in the same in a similar way.
Speaker 2: Well, and as we're talking, yeah, we're talking about the cross contamination here. That's for people, the donors who are getting that blood pumped back into them that's now mixed with all these other people. It's also for that plasma that when it gets spun up, it's now spun up with a bunch of other blood that who knows, you know, what could be in that one sample that now contains, as Ben said, the culmination of everybody who donated that day before the thing got sterilized again.
Speaker 4: I mean, it reminds me of It's like not cleaning the soda machine.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, don't think about it.
Speaker 3: I think its way way way in your body. And you guys show too, right because you're glad you brought that up. It's so ichy. But I instantly if I ever have a fountain drink, I instantly go into that paranoia if it tastes even slightly off. Oh yeah, I like a fountain drink at a little different I know. I was just I was at our our favorite uh Popeyes Chicken in Atlanta, the place where you know, the drive through person famously told me, what one time up there? Uh, I was in there recently, was picking something up and I asked for, you know, like a common mill thing, and the lady behind the counter told me, you sure the soda found has been a bit peppery. Oh, and I did it was spicy? Yeah, I don't know, but I was like, I, okay, I appreciate it, thanks for the you know, thanks for the tip there.
Speaker 2: I have to believe that it was just like spicy, a hit in a spicy way, and it shouldn't be that way.
Speaker 5: I like to think it was so Mu's first day and they said, hold on, you put the spice mix on the chicken, and they're like, oh, well, what's done is done?
Speaker 2: I see. I thought it was some kind of mold that was really kicking things up a notch, you know.
Speaker 3: I think that's what she meant.
Speaker 4: It was spicy mold.
Speaker 3: And so I do think this idea of like the soda found thing is unfortunately really great comparison because it got even worse as things escalated. To speed up the amount of blood that were able to supply number of units per day, right, some stations cut out crucial steps of this process we've walked through, Like a donor might just be given blood from previous donors the same blood type. So in your example, Matt, it's not you getting you know, getting that tasty Frederick vintage blood minus the plasma back. You're getting some Randos. It might even be Jonathan Strickland's.
Speaker 2: Oh I could only hope if I got a little Strickland blood in me. Man, Just I feel like I would get smarter the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, i'd like the flowers for algrenon type situation. But then you get progressively dumber.
Speaker 2: Well, that first moment, like I fully understand what a q LED is versus an OLED, and I can like break all of that down.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's what. Then we just have to keep little vials of it around with us, I guess refrigerated inside pockets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I start slurring his words. We got to give him a dose of the juice, know, yest. Oh God, Now we're being flippant here because this is so depressing and heavy, because it's really the only the Gallo's humor is the only way to deal with the fact that this happened.
Speaker 3: Jeez, Louise, we're whistling in the graveyard here, folks, for real, because this did happen. People were giving blood from other donors. They were not informed about this. You would it would speed up the process. You wouldn't have to wait for They would put your blood centrifuge to run and then they would just check on what other centrifuge was done, and if they had the same blood type as you, they would put that blood inside you. So there were also reports that people who tested positive for he B hepatitis B were allowed to give blood and their blood plasma was just putting a different pile. Basically, yeah, my translation with Chinese is not that good. So they love bigger a speech, but they yeah the hep B pile. Yeah, which all means that without their knowledge and certainly without their consent, these financially disadvantaged folks were forced into sharing needles on a massive scale. What could go wrong? We'll tell you after a word from our sponsor, and we have returned.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: China has a famously strict approach to the concerns of its population, right and the country is very sensitive about certain things, certain events like Tianeman and so on. But this public outcry is different. The government can tamp down on political protests pretty easily. But this is not necessarily political. This is a national medical crisis. Now we don't know how many people or country maybe carrying HIV, maybe unknowingly transmitting it to their children, their partners, people they just hang out with. So the government has to do something.
Speaker 2: Because we're saying it started in nineteen ninety and then this system rolled on for three, four, maybe even five years. Wow, So I guess that's around the time when they realized there are big problems.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, that's right. And then in nineteen ninety five they rolled out something else, which was some new policies that changed some things around for hopefully the better. The very least, the blood stations in Hennan were starting to get shut down. And you know, another thing that the Chinese government is known for is being a bit opaque, let's just say, in terms of their acknowledgment of mistakes that were or were not made. So this is about the best you're going to get, which was in nineteen ninety six when the Ministry of Health issued a document called Administrative Statutes of Blood Products that required plasma paresis stations only collect plasma from specific areas, but ben I wouldn't say they exactly admitted to wrongdoing, right, They just just issued some new declarations that changed things around. And it wasn't like we're doing this because we fed up. Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're saying they're tightening the restrictions because around this time there are these reports that start sporadically coming out that say, hey, why does everybody in this village have this hepatitis? In particular, why it would look right right and the damage had been done. They were thinking, they were hoping, whoeveryone's in charge at the time, that if they had removed plasma donation stations from those rural areas, the ones that seem troublesome, then the problem would solve. It's in a way that could save face for everybody and let people still make a lot of money off this. But like you said, the horses left the bar and the badger's out of the bag. Right now, the best estimates guess that forty to sixty percent of the more than three million people who donated plasma in this way contracted AIDS afterwards, and that means that over one million people, innocent people died as a direct result of participating in this initiative. More will die on the way because these infections were carried by them without their knowledge for so very long. And it probably, you know, probably authorities knew about this and just didn't inform them. I think they had to I think they had to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels so similar to the factor eight issue because the money was flowing, and how do you You can't really put a stop to it when it's floil. You could, you should, but you it's kind of difficult to do once it's that profitable.
Speaker 4: And you know, I mean in high level officials practice plausible deniability. But I swear, you know, I think I mentioned you guys off my that I've never been more suspicious of the Clintons than I was after discussing that story, because there are so many indications that this information was absolutely available at the highest levels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then how far does plausible the diability go. I understand that, especially to high level political or corporate positions, you might not be able to watch every falling sparrow.
Speaker 2: I'm a busy right.
Speaker 4: You know, time for all this. These are below my pay grade.
Speaker 3: But after a certain point, deniability is no longer plausible, and you are at the very least, just terrible at.
Speaker 4: Your job, you know what I mean, especially when it directly impacts people, not even in your state or province or country.
Speaker 3: Right, It's just it's so disappointing, it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: The investigations go on and over time what they find is more and more villages are ravaged by AIDS and hepatitis there. It's almost certainly, it's too generous to say almost certainly it is definitely because of these plasma stations. And just for a snapshot example, there was a small area in Hannan in Kaijan County or Kaijan County. They had three hundred or three and seventy villagers. Of those, forty three percent tested positive for AIDS.
Speaker 4: God, that's insane. That average is mind boggling.
Speaker 3: It's terrifying, you know. And in the village of Winlu when now sixty five percent of the residents tested had HIV. And imagine your own hometown, you know, more than half a neighbors had been infected by government and action and corporate obscenity in this way, you know it Just what hits me is if you've ever visited Rule China, you know the people there are wonderful. Just like most people at most places in the world, their lives are already very difficult, very very difficult. And adding this, I mean, I just keep thinking of like a kid having to learn this.
Speaker 2: Guys, I'm stuck on that that town that had sixty five percent of the residents that contracted HIV. That's just so devastating and insane, and especially given that this program started in nineteen ninety correct, right, if you look back nineteen eighty three to nineteen eighty five is when pretty effective HIV blood tests existed. I mean, so at least five years prior to the program even starting, you could be screening people. If you're running this program, you could be screening everybody who's donating to see, right, And that alone, to me is just unconscienable. Yeah, just insane. And then and then to let it run for so long, God, man, ben I.
Speaker 3: That's what haunts me. Man, That haunts me because bribery explains at least part of it, right, which is tremendously common in these systems. But again, I'm just I am haunted by the image of a kid who already has a really tough, challenging life and has all their own, you know, they have their dreams, their aims, they want to make their parents happy and all this other stuff, and then they.
Speaker 4: Learn that.
Speaker 3: The natural progression of their life has been so has been knocked off kilter.
Speaker 2: And it's dude, can I ask something horrible? And I'm going to ask this just because I want to talk about it, and I don't know, and I don't mean anything by this other than I'm curious, and it is curious to me. I'm thinking about China's one child policy that started in nineteen seventy nine in this you know program, or about eleven years later. It does make me wonder, if there's God, I get that would be the conspiracy. Right, was this done purposefully to thin the population even more? Because we know that's the purpose of the one child policy is to slow down population growth? Right, this is the right. This is the program in China that ran from nineteen seventy nine to pretty recently, right like twenty sixteen or something twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: Applying prime to the applying to the ha and ethnicity, which is oh really the mainstream ethnicity. So like the thing about the one child policy is yet it had terrible ramification in terms of femicide and things like that. The femicide being discovering the biological sex of a child in vitro and then having it awarded as a result because you would want a male. Yeah, so there was this huge distortion between between like male and female birth rates or survival rates, if we really want to be honest about it. In terms of this, I find that a fascinating and intriguing branch of speculation. The only issue is there faster, more efficient ways to do it that could still give you that plausible deniability.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, I completely agree, I think, and this is describing evil. I would say to a place where maybe it shouldn't be it shouldn't be placed there, And it's just me having the thought experiment. But oh yeah, if you're targeting rural farmers, and you know the the groups that are profiting from this are not rural farmers by any stretch, right, If you give the families something like HIV or AIDS, not only are you infecting anyone else in that you know, in that household of down the line.
Speaker 4: If the child done purposefuly, this would be a form of controlled genocide.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying this is.
Speaker 4: The mind you could jump there. I will just say that if if you're interested in the one Child policy stuff and how that really did have horrible ramifications in and of itself. There's a documentary called One Child Nation that came out in twenty nineteen through PBS's Independent Lens program, which is always next level good that I would highly recommend checking out.
Speaker 3: And those the results of the One Child Policy itself are going to continue well into your lifetime as you listen to this Evening show, because it lasted from set seventy nine to twenty fifteen. And it's kind of like one Child Policy is kind of like experiments with cloud seating, right, You're affecting a system that you don't fully control in ways you don't fully understand. It's it's tough, man, it's tough out there, and we'd love to hear your personal experience with it. If you've got any, let us know. So we have a terrible situation. We have places where there are pluralities of people infected with HIV, with hepatitis, and it's just because of the nature of how these things spread. And you know you mentioned NOL earlier, the idea of an admission of guilts.
Speaker 4: We did get one, didn't we. I was surprised to see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two thousand and four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the government did publicly admit, which is in a rare show of Again, I'm not trying to dogpile in the Chinese government, but they do have a bit of a history of opice.
Speaker 3: Let's just say, and we're not we're not, obviously too. I'm glad of bringing this up. We're not cenophobes at all.
Speaker 4: No, we.
Speaker 3: Don't, right, We're not using this as like red meat for something.
Speaker 4: This is not in the least and I will actually something that I said off Mike, I'm just going to say the kind of abbreviated version of it. I'm surprised that certain more xenophobic types haven't used this for fodder for further xenophobia, for trying to convert people to more xenophobic ways of thinking, because this could be weaponized in a way to be like, see see what they did. You know, these horrible people, this horrible government. I'm just surprised that hadn't happened, and that we hadn't really heard that much about this outside of this investigation. But the government of trying to did publicly admit that by its estimation, at least twenty four percent of all HIV, all HIV cases in China came directly from what we've been talking about today, from these this dirty plasma business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so you would think, just like the case of the blood plasma Economy program, you would think the lessons learned from the past may have been informing the events of the future and the present. Well, we thought so too, and we were incorrect. So we're right there with you. Fast forward to twenty nineteen, a similar thing happens again, this time in Shanghai. A specific company, a pharma company named Shanghai sin Keing Medicine Company. They gotten hot water on suspicion that they sold twelve thousand units of blood plasma product contaminated with HIV. So this is still a possibility. It still happens, and hopefully the authorities are just a little faster about it now or holding people accountable. Right, And then that came on the heels of like the month before then, there was this panic that the government gave more than one hundred kids expired polio vaccines. A few months before that, hundreds of thousands of kids got faulty diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough vaccines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's interesting because we just talked Sorry, not interesting, it's horrifying. But we had talked about how China was one of the very few places where polio is still a thing, right.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, Pakistan and Afghanistan have the same. Yeah, and it still occurs in China. Sure. Yeah, it's it's tough. And you know, the question there is maybe more like just negligence and trying to and not downplaying this at all, but.
Speaker 4: It's a very large view.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, have you you guys have had this situation in your own home where you know, you're checking on maybe it's like a dairy thing or a vegetable in your fridge, and you're like, is this on the line of expiring? How far over is it?
Speaker 4: You know, it's sell By, it's fine, sell By.
Speaker 3: So maybe that's what they did, you know. And so members of the media for this twenty nineteen event with the tainted blood products, members of the Chinese media spoke up and said, hey, this there's going to be a cover up pretty soon. They'll say, injecting this is good for your health. Don't panic. And that appears to be part of what happens. So we have to follow up on the twenty nineteen story to learn more as the investigations continue. But one thing's for sure. Like we said at the top, when the money gets too tempting, the demand gets too high, people will cut quarters. They will attempt to bleed every last cent from a broken system before it collapses. That, I argue is the stuff they don't want you to know. Also, you should donate blood please if you can. You are saving lives.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree more.
Speaker 4: All of this stuff that we've discussed has really got me the I really am. I can barely keep from passing out when I get blood taken for you know, medical purposes. But I'm gonna have to steal myself and uh and and do that because I didn't realize how how desperate the situation was in terms of the blood supply, you know, in the United States.
Speaker 2: But is there is there a way to, like, I don't know, train yourself to not be freaked out by needles anymore.
Speaker 4: It would have to be some sort of self hypnosis or some like like quitting smoking or getting over fear of heights or something. I don't know how you would do that mindfulness transcendental meditation.
Speaker 3: There's a way, yeah, different avenues to it if you want to disassociation of things, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just remember I used to be really freaked out by it for a long time and something changed and I didn't do it actively, but I definitely just started.
Speaker 3: Were you getting on a medical test because will change it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's when I started doing like physicals, right, So, like as you get older, it's recommended if you have a general practitioner, like a doctor that you go see regularly, that you get blood drawn basically at least once a year. I think when that started happening, it just changed. Like I look at the needle. I used to have to look away and like you do all that stuff, but now I just look at it. I'm like, wow, look at that.
Speaker 1: Go.
Speaker 4: I think I've mentioned that I have an underactive thyroid, so I have to give blood a lot, like to check on the numbers, and it's more than just a physical and I still can't look at it, and it still freaks me out just as much every single time. So I think some people are the different. Some people grow out of it. I guess I used to hate tomatoes now, but needles still freak me out big time.
Speaker 3: You can contact. The best way to get involved going to donate blood is again because there's regional variation and demand and type of stuff they're looking for. Your best next steps are to contact the local blood banks in your area. It's also so possible if you want some extra credit. It's also possible to organize a blood drive. You know, if you have, if you like work at a big company or something, they'll probably support you in doing this, just like if you were to organize a clothing drive or a book drive.
Speaker 2: Didn't we do that with when we were owned by Discovery? I feel like I remember doing that in the old I did.
Speaker 3: I did not participate. I'm just gonna be absolutely clear. I did not trust them.
Speaker 2: Oh I have problem with.
Speaker 3: Red Cross, But I was like, nice, try because this was still before you know, the widespread rollout of genetic testing, and they.
Speaker 2: Were just trying to find the next honey boo boo, and they were gonna get all the blood.
Speaker 3: And getting right to your blood. Yeah. So I was somewhat prescient in that, I guess. But anyway, Uh, we would love to hear from you, fellow conspiracy realists, especially if you are involved or employed in something that touches upon the blood industry. One question about do certain countries, companies or products are they Are there certain countries, companies or products that you and your colleagues consider no goes? You know what I mean? And if so, why, what do more people need to know about bad blood? And what have your experience has been again with stuff like the one child policy, traveling in China, interacting with the Chinese government. This is stuff that maybe that may be really helpful to us in the future. So please let us know what's on your mind. We try to be easy to find online. Oh oh my god, donate your ideas to us.
Speaker 2: That's what it was.
Speaker 4: We drink your milkshake of ideas. You can provide us said ideas on the usual social media channels of note, we are Conspiracy Stuff Show. On Facebook where we also have our Facebook group Here's where it gets crazy. On x FKA, Twitter, and on YouTube where we roll out delightful, we think and we hope you video content every single week. On Instagram and TikTok, we are Conspiracy Stuff Show.
Speaker 2: Hey do you like calling people? Why not call us one eight three three st d WYTK. That's our number. When you call in, you'll hear our voicemail system. You'll hear a familiar voice and a little music, and then just say whatever you'd want. Just make sure to give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your name and message on the air. If you got more to say they could fit in that message, why not instead shoot us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.