Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: We are advantage in particularly that we're not under the time pressure of the feddicides to have someone that's been a foundation of our thinking about our central bank and Bill's notes and bombs. Boy Michael joins us now CIO, head of GFIICC.
Speaker 1: Global Fixed Income, Currency and Commodities. Got it all, got them all.
Speaker 2: He attended every restaurant in the new building and they came mat Hoarium, JP Morgan Investment Management. Do you know what worst strategy is yet.
Speaker 1: Other than to set up task forces, it's not clear will it take.
Speaker 2: Based on the history of central bankers. Powell, for example.
Speaker 1: We think his hand will be for sooner than he likes it. Clearly, by having the task force come back at year end, he wants to glide into twenty twenty seven without having to do much. But the markets move, the economy moves, the summers tend to be a crucible of intensity, So we think by the September meeting he's going to have a plan.
Speaker 2: I gotta get I gotta get this, and it's too important. Paul's got a million smart questions. I'm assuming James Diamond hates task forces with a passion. What do you expect to get out of a task force plural from the Fed?
Speaker 1: Well, it depends who's leading them and who's on them. I think they'll come back with very thoughtful ideas. In the end, you don't set up task forces unless you already know the answer. So he knows the answer. It's just a matter of seeing if he can pin it on the task force or just go ahead and say do it this way runs it folks.
Speaker 2: So you've just heard there absolutely perfect, Tom.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say Bob is old here, but let's just say he's been around the block once or twice. Look at this note, This bond market looks fair value. We expect a ten year US treasury to trade between four and one eighth and four and five aays he's quoting fraction. I mean, who does that anymore? But Bob Michael talk to us about that ten year. I mean, it feels like we are where we are, and that's kind of where the market feels pretty comfortable here. What do we do here with rates here where they are?
Speaker 1: Well, in two and a half months, we went from three ninety too close to four seventy and both of those proved to be extremes. We're somewhere in the middle. We're pricing in one, possibly two FED rate hikes. I think four and five eighths covers you for two rate hikes. I think when you get down to four and an eighth probably you don't have enough yield in the market to cover you for a rate hiker two. So we're saying the bond market looks pretty good right now. It has a repricing. The FED if they come in and lean into growth and inflation pressures, they don't need to do a lot. Maybe one or two maintenance hikes. Join the other central banks, but that's about it.
Speaker 3: How much credit risk are you taking these days?
Speaker 1: We're taking a lot. We've had our investment quarterly. Last week we tried, as bond investors do, to poke holes in the economy and I prove that either it's about to collapse or melt up in a fireball of growth and inflation. And instead what we saw is that businesses are rationally putting together capex plans. There's a lot going on. When we think about sovereigns away from the US, they're also thinking about investing. Everyone wants energy security, everyone wants defense of their borders. Everyone has to invest in AI. So these are things that will keep the underlying trend rate of the global economy going.
Speaker 3: Does that include emerging markets as well?
Speaker 1: Well? Emerging markets are the pleasant surprise of the year so far. Here as yet another shot that they survive. They survive the FEDS five hundred and twenty five basis point rate hikes never happened before, they survive COVID, and now they're surviving an oil shot. It's a little bit more nuanced. We had owned the energy exporters. We've now gone back to the importers. But when you look at the way China was able to cut imports of oil and repurpose how they get energy, it tells us that the emerging markets are maybe have developed faster than we want to give the term emerging markets credit for well, it's.
Speaker 2: Across America and worldwide. Bob Michael of JP Morgan here perspective from Bill's notes and bonds, of course, dragging it over to the equity markets as well. So I skimmed FAROLEI Weekly Prospects comes out every Friday evening. I've got a pause with the beverage of my choice. Paul to read Faroli on a team and what to say, And I'm sorry, it's a pretty balanced view, and I'm hearing from you a balance view. Bill Ackman is out today with the retreat of a plus plus plus on Hyperscalers. From a guy out of unit credit in Slovenia is well, there's all this heat, this ferment, this smoke and mirrors debate about AI. You guys are doing business in it. How are the bonds, the debt of AI hyperscalers being digested by the public.
Speaker 1: Well, so far they've been digested pretty well. I think we've all seen when a new technology revolution comes along, it's not all over in one or two years. It tends to run for a decade, and the first half of that decade is where the capex gets invested in. The second half is where you get the payback. The hyperscalers have very pristine balance sheets, so the amount of debt that they're adding is hardly noticeable on their leverage metrics.
Speaker 2: Do you look at them as a trunch now, an initial gazillion dollar trunch, and there'll be a second one into twenty seven and a third even Is it going to stagger forward twenty year, twenty year, twenty down the road.
Speaker 1: Well, you look at what some of them have raised, and you wonder where it is other than sitting in cash or some sort of short duration account, because they aren't fully spent yet. So yeah, it's possible they'll be back next year. I think they have to start spending what they've raised so far, and that takes some time.
Speaker 3: Pat do you think about all this technology debt coming to the marketplace, because this is these companies haven't historically been in your market raising capital, but it seems to have been well received so far.
Speaker 1: We're impressed because certainly you get warried that trillions of dollars of debt could overwhelm the market. When we look at the Bloomberg Aggregate bond index, it's forty trillion, So a couple trillion here is not a lot of money. It's maybe about five percent, and that couple trillion will come in over three or four years. We've also been impressed about how intelligent the hyperscalars have been. They've diversified across markets. They've issued some in Euros, some in Conada dollars, there will be some in Mexico Peso, and some in Japanese yet, and then they've gone to some hybrid structures to finance the data centers.
Speaker 2: So JP Morgan gets five hundred thousand applications for summer rules, Oh wow, and they weeded out with an acceptance rate frankly under one percent to four thousand summer interns. Bob Michael's got to wander into a room with a bunch of emotional, really really smart, really competent kids. What's your first message to them?
Speaker 1: My first message is the way to differentiate yourself is to make use of the current tools that are available in the marketplace. That you know, the senior investors in the platt form aren't really that skilled at so AI is one. When I came into the industry, it was electronic spreadsheets. Do that, and secondly, observe what's going on. You'll see who the leaders are and the traits that are characteristic of them. You'll also see people who you feel well because of their characteristics and traits, they're being held back. So keep your eyes open and observe.
Speaker 2: I really emphasize the last thing you just said is forget about trying to find wonderful people like Kelsey Barrow. It is just an idea, figure out the people that aren't getting it done. That's the biggest lesson from an intern. You didn't mention this that part of the training of the jpborg an intern is to master the Bloomberg Professional Service.
Speaker 1: Of course, to nail technology. Okay, we do send them for training.
Speaker 2: Every day, coming to Bob Michael lecturing on the Bloomberg terminal to interns. The chairums at JP Morgan he drives all a fixed income for the bank.