Speaker 1: M hm m h.
Speaker 2: Welcome back all the smoke. Day two Las Vegas in season tournament. Yesterday we had a good day. Today we started off with a good one. We was just talking before camera, like I was thinking, like, where the fuck do this dude go?
Speaker 1: Like he was ooping somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like you got a Google like where's the markets?
Speaker 1: Jeff somewhat to death.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you know, Bary, your resume, man, seven time All Star, five time All NBA, over twenty thousand career points, number three scoring Blazer history, number one rebounder, and then again, you kind of could just step away. But I also learned you you're doing some ambassador work with the NBA, taking trips around the world and getting to speak and host camps, but also enjoy the process. So what's life after basketball been like for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, like your first year, it's like you confused. I'm like, what's next? I want to stay hope, you know what I'm saying, Like you wake up like I'm lost a little bit. So I think for me it was more like, shit, let's figure this shit out. Let's kind of like move around. NBA hit me up, and I was just like, man, I don't want to do that, Like my personality is more like I want you know, I'm more chill. They were like, well, just do one trip, you'd be good to go. So I did Spain and man, that shit was dope. Man went over there and shit on the beach and you know, like the vibe is crazy. So did that one trip and then now man, I just be doing that. So it's like traveling the world, going to like different places and just talking to people, hosting camps and stuff. Explain your the end of your career. So you stopped playing using as fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you stopped playing, came back, played, stopped and retired. Explain the process and obviously we're supposed to get to it later, but I just kind of want to open up with it because we had a friend here who was here but not here. It had a similar heart condition that you had, and I was literally with him when he died on the court, you know what I mean. And he was able to come back to life. So obviously we know how serious it is. But break down kind of the end of your career.
Speaker 1: So did Bonzie as well. Shit, So obviously I was diagnosed with it in two thousand and six. I was drafted, passed out in the game, so then they take me to the hospital. I found out I had it, had like two or three procedures done, so I went a minute with no issues, signed with the Spurs. This one was kind of quiet. It came out, but it was more like the you know, more quiet. It came back again, so then they said I was out in definitely. Like so when you came back, like you passed out, you just for filling it. Yeah, like you pass out. It's kind of weird, and it's like it's kind of like Cash twenty two because it's like as you get in better shape, symptoms get worse, which don't make sense right because you're supposed to work out to get better. But it's kind of like, so my shaken slow down too too much, like when I'm out the rhythm and I can pass out. So you know, as you're get in better shape, you should go slower and slower, you know what I'm saying. So I was passing out, so I was in camp, had a little issues. Then we got that fake So then fast forward to the end. I got the vaccine. Played the one game in Chicago felt terrible like when heart rate was like racing. It was going too slow, like it was just off. So then I went home that night and then we had it back to back with the Lakers, So then I played again, and like the whole thing with my heart is like if I'm in the if I'm out of rhythm, I'm about to pass out. If you run, your shit's supposed to straighten up, so then you're good to go. It was the first time I was running and my stuff wouldn't straighten up. It was still going slow. It was it was like weird to be yeah, like you're supposed to be like one hundred and something, you know, beats, and you had like sixty and like how is it even possible? So like I just didn't feel right. So I go home that night laying down and like my ship was getting so slow. I just kept passing out over and over. I'm like, I'm more chill, and I grew up poor, so it's like kind of like gott to figure some shot on your own. So I was like, just just just get through the night and I'll be good. So the whole night I'm laying there thinking I'm about to die. So then I called a train to like six am. I can't take it no more. Go to the hospital, like they checked me out and then I kind of get out of the rhythm and like they don't keep me in the hospital or whatever. So then like for me, I was shook because I had just signed with Brooklyn. I didn't trust there, not trust. I didn't know their training staff, I didn't know their doctors. So I was like, I gotta go home and like figure the shit out. So I go home to my doctor. He was like, I wouldn't risk it, Like was that the first time actors told you? Yeah, every other doctor was like you're good, You're good, You're good. And he was like, I've studied you when you were here for five years and I've never seen you do this shit. So he was like, you got kids, man, Like I wouldn't risk So the team is telling me you're gonna be good, which we all know how that shit go. Not not not talking that on anybody. Yeah yeah. So I go to him, man, we have more of like a you know, real bond exactly. So he's like, I wouldn't risk it, bro, Like I've never seen this happen to you before. You've been there five years. So the teams called him and call him and call him, and I'm just like listening to him. So I was like, you know what, I don't want to be that that dude that has a patch and then you don't think about it no more, you know what I'm saying. So I was like, you know what, I'm done. So I called him and I'm like crying. So then I retire, and like it goes crazy or whatever. I kind of like duck off and high like you like normal. And then so then my doctor hit me up like, hey, if you really want to try this again, let's spend the whole summer putting you through every test I can put you through running you know, I don't want to lose word. So this is the beginning of the season.
Speaker 2: You retire, and you go through the whole season, and that next that that following summer, the doctor hits you again.
Speaker 1: I retired towards the end, if you remember, because that's when Kadie needed to shot from a team and I said, if I was there, man, that's my chance to want to ring because he needed because you know, nobody could make a shot that game, and that's what I do. So that's when I retired towards the end when they were playing again Shine, you know, and it was on the exactly. So I was sick because I'm like, this is my opportunity and they don't come off and y'all know. Yeah, So I go home to that and then that that following summer. So were you still kind of around the team or you were at home at this time? Now, I went home as soon as it happened, Like it's kind of funny. I packed all my set up and like I got on a jet and I was like, I'm out of here. So I didn't have to go back and get nothing, cause I was just like I don't want to die, you know what I'm saying. So I went home and you know, handled that ship. You know, Mom's all shook, and feel everybody's blowing me out. So anyway, he hit me up that summer. It was like, if you really want to play again, like let's do it the right way. That's spend the next two to three months putting you through every test and then let's go back in you know, you know, through your groun and like let's look at your heart and then make sure everything looks right. So I said all right, I'll do it. So I did every test possible, you know, I passed all of him, and he was like, even if this happened again, I'm confident that you won't die. Obviously you can't say one hundred percent, but I think from what everything I've looked at like you would be good to go. So I went through the whole summer, got approved, had to go through the NBA to It was a long gas process, brocause you know, at the NBA they don't want you to die either, obviously, but they with that liability. So then they put me through a whole another ringer of like shit, ten twelve tests, passed all that shit. So then it was like, okay, now where do you want to go? Like I'm back clear to play. And then I had the option of Bosson or Brooklyn, and I'm like with shouts. With Brooklyn, that shit was love like easy shots with Kevin, you know what I'm saying, Like James, you know, hit me with the lots. So it was like, I'm gonna go back there and then it's just a whole different scene. That's what. Everything just blew the fuck up.
Speaker 2: You go back there, finish out how how many games. Do you play that season?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't even remember, bro, that was a frustrating season. Shit, maybe like twenty five thirty because then Claxton, who starts down, started to play really good. So then they kind of put me to the back burner a little bit because I couldn't switch. Could switch. I don't want to get into this ship. I could switch. You just gotta you know, like somebody behind you. Yes, anyway, but anyway, So then I didn't really play towards the end, and then that was it.
Speaker 2: Damn So how many years when it's all said, sixteen you made that choice?
Speaker 1: Bro, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I said, like your whole life, this is what you want to do, you know what I mean? And to get this early on and be able to fight through it and still do what you do, accomplish what you accomplished, and then at the end having someone tell you like I don't know, but you still have that fire burning and wanting to play, and then he kind of gets your hopes down like okay, maybe you're right, and then he starts your fire again like let's go through all this testing and then you go back and then the Brooklyn nets explode you know what I mean if that team, that's arguably one of the most disappointing teams that ever came together when you think about the top three guys and then also having someone like you.
Speaker 1: But what I mean on top of that, I mean, on.
Speaker 2: Paper that team was incredible, but the fact that nothing ever kind of came from it. And to hear your point of view now and what that championship, you know that could have happened.
Speaker 1: Jan don't step under Kyrie feet. It's a whole different boda. I don't remember the play.
Speaker 2: But speaking of that, but you were on the Spurs Golden State when Zaza got koh, right, that was.
Speaker 1: My first chance to really get around. Yeah, and we were rolling that game, fucking rolling like up like twenty six. Yeah, it's half rolling. He go down and that shit. That shit turned quick too. It's hard, bro, Let's never get back to that point.
Speaker 2: But but but I mean, obviously that's just the basketball side. You're dealing with the life side on top of trying to get what everyone's trying to get on the basketball side too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you came in in the mid two thousands up until twenty twenty, and you've seen a lot of the game, which you think the state of the game is right now. I'm confused, man, because I feel like the money is going up and up because the fans want to see up and down, up and down. But I came in when it was a physical ass game. You had to earn everything z Bo and Rashi. You know what I'm saying, Tim was, Yeah, you got all these guys, you had to go get it. And it's like now you can't really touch anybody. So I'm not mad that it's getting where it's getting, but I'm just confused though. If I like, you know what I'm saying, like the style of play at times, like everybody's shooting three, he's just running up and down. I like when you had to Like I love Denver because like he's touching the fucking ball every time, and I feel like that's what we got. I think if he can win two or three more championship and shift back there you go, that's what we need. Steph messed it up, Steph changed the ship. We need somebody else dominant down load to like bring it back. Guards don't even post up no more, man, That's what I'm saying, Like, and I came in in that era. I watched y'all and everybody in that era, so it's like that's how I'm trained to think. It's like one motherfucker's down low. Now you got everybody on the perimeter. So it's just different for me to process you. You walk in this game right now, you young la, what you average? Sure in this game you can't be touched. I think high close to thirties. Yeah, not even be an area, like you can't touch me every time average mid twenties and bumping exactly if you can't touch me, I'm shooting all day. So close to thirty for sure. I would say more because you got guys, you know guys getting triple do was in the first half, Like it's crazy, it is. It's more fifty point games right now every season than any time in the NBA.
Speaker 2: And people averaging anytime, bro, and people averaging above thirty.
Speaker 1: You right, eight multiple people used to get fifty. Everybody like he got fifty. Damn he was bothering.
Speaker 2: Noway eighties all the time another day now, Yeah, I mean it's no knocking player.
Speaker 1: Skills and no skill levels about it.
Speaker 2: It's a different type of defense and attention and points of emphasis for the league.
Speaker 1: You know, the league wants to see scoring.
Speaker 2: Like if you think about it, to me, it makes sense because you know, obviously I coach my kids and they're coming up in this new generation. But if you're thinking about it from a fans perspective, I don't really want to see if I'm just a fan an eighty nine to ninety two game, because now a lot of people just watch highlights, you know what I mean. So to see the score of eighty nine ninety two, you're like, like, what happened? But then you see these one thirties to one twenty seven with hell of threes and dunks, and then that's what continues to grow the game. But if when you come from our era, it's just like we all hung some defense, you know what I mean, And you were someone that did on both sides of the ball. So it's just like it's a little bit of but like you said, you understand where it's going. It's just not the same ship we grew up in. It just don't feel the same. I want to ask y'all, do y'all feel like next ten years the league's on a transition to more like European players than American players, they're already doing that because the game doesn't change so much.
Speaker 1: It's more to them now. But it's not. It's tailored to them. But the motherfucker's just better than our players. Bro. It's just they just get smarter. They coming over here and dominate as soon as they get it. They just better. Luca make it look too easy. I went to the game in Dallas where he was hitting the jump hook three for Bro. They just better, Bro. For some reason, they just better. Yeah, who's the best player in the world of you right now? I gotta say, because I mean he just won, and I mean he didn't want an MVP, but we all know how they go. Yeah, but Bro, like everybody watched social media, the man didn't shoot a basketball all summer. Bro, And he came back and and he like dominating, Like come on, like we in the gym all summer, just like getting that ship ready. This dude can't touch the basketball doing sure that he's that good or the NBA that different, I don't know, but but Bro, we watched him like he raced horses summer, brod it was traveling party and he came back and they want like their first with ten games or something. I don't I don't. I don't think it's it's probably three guys in the league that actually make him work. Like you have to worry about it, you know what I'm saying, Like and be somebody like that Rudy Gobe, somebody that actually can give him problems. But most of his night's are easy nights. Yeah, that's crazy. And he's doing it in ten different ways. Threes, pump fakes, post ups, runners, mellow jumpers, same leg floaters. Like bro, watching his game is kind of crazy to see that the big man position has evolved that much, which I like.
Speaker 2: I wonder if we'll ever see And this is no knock on his game because he's at the top right now, but I see like a dedicated something to like body and game.
Speaker 1: He did it that once. I remember when he came back skinny and like didn't play good right the way back, yo, Like so Luca running up Lucas looked the same, the same bro, so pretty much yokud just like a PG version of John Daly. Go be you, bro, and go be great. Fact, you know what I mean? He like Zebo, Like, yeah, exactly. People didn't need to go run off sower, but you gonna bust your ass all touch exactly. You made a killing from the mill ranger for your career, as I said, earlier started shooting threes late close to forty percent. Do you regret not shooting threes earlier career? Ye, I'm I do because that near range is money. But as I said, though, the game wasn't like that. So for me, like the coaches were telling me to do it, but like I'm a big history guy, like bigs didn't do that. Like KG, I watched him. He didn't shoot threes only if you had to ten. Wasn't shooting three post. The other one that did was she, but she was really high level with the ship, you know what I'm saying, both hands. So it's like most most of the guys I tried to watch and like pat of my game after like they didn't do that. So it was a hard transition for me. And then like you said, like my mid range was so easy, so I'm like take this three or take one step in and like make that shit like out of ten times. Yeah, so I'm gonna take that shit out day. So for me, it was just hard to like retrain my STLF to do that, but I do wish I would have done it though you just said that, I'm I'm gonna stick up to that question. Who you patted the game? I give Rick Barnes a lot of credit because, like he brought me in like the room one day and he was like, who do you want to who do you want to be? And I was like, shit, I don't know, Like I like a lot of you know what I'm saying, hoopers or whatever. He was like, well, let's sit here and let's pick three players and then let's try to see what you want from each player. I had never asked nobody to like, you know what I'm saying, like think like this. Like so I was all right, So I was like I want kg's fade away. He's like okay. And I was like I want Tims like face up, get to the middle. He's like okay, He's like like one more person. I was like, well, shit, I feel like she's high releases, unblockable. He's like, so, okay, so you want those three things. I was like yeah. He's like okay, let's go to the gym and get it. So then look at my game. I went meddle like toim played it away like KG and that's just like it seemed too simple. But like he sat down with me and we did that ship and that shit worked. That's cud of sense now you say it like that. So he asked me that question, but then he also backed that ship up. So I give Rick credit, Like we did that ship, and then he would be like, anytime you want to get in the gym, called me. So I'd be like, twelve thirty. You know you're in college. You ain't going to sleep, Rick, Let's go to the gym. Twelve thirty. He had my doorm picking me up. And when you need gym too, I ain't never had nobody to do that, you know what I'm saying. So I give him a lot of my credit because he sent me down and like had a plan and see your freshman year. Yeah, I never had him like do that. And then when he gave me that, so like I try to tell kids now, I'm like, man, I got twenty thousand points and I had three moves, you know what I'm saying. And it was like Kobe said he had two moves. It's simple.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you think about the breakdown the science, that's just a shit.
Speaker 1: Look at my arm man, Kobe Man, Yeah, yeah. I was in the shure there like like, what would you tell Victor. I was like, he's so skilled. I would just break his shit down and be like, get a movie that if it's fourth quarter, you're gonna go to it, get a movie if it's first quarter. Like my shit was always my fate beginning of the game, end of the game, And I was like, it helps you stop thinking so fucking much like end of the game, like you too skilled, You're trying to think do I want to do this? To do that and do this? Like get one move where it's like I don't care who's guarding you, you know what I'm saying. And I was like, then build off that shit. But I feel like he's so skilled, he's like got eighteen different moves in his head, and he's playing too fast right now, so I'm just like, slow yourself down and get two moves to go.
Speaker 2: To I love hearing this shit because I wouldn't that kind of scored. So to hear the science of it and how you break it down, that shit is dope when you simplify it, because at the end of the day, it's very simplified if you work on what you're supposed to work on exactly, like Kobe was like, I would always talk to him during the game.
Speaker 1: I'm alway getting me. But Bro, I would talk to him during the game. He always say like I stole his fade. Awey. I'm like, Bro, this is just what I watched. Y'all old heads, do you know what I'm saying? But man, it's good. Get a move where it's if it's first quarter, fourth quarter, last five seconds, first five seconds, like you can get that bitch off any time, and they get I car into that. So I was going middle ninety a percent of the time, middle cut off. I'm fading away like that's simple. And then I'm shooting way up here and it's so high when you can't get to it, like it's a simple game. I mean, we was able to do Kobe last interview. Since she's talking about him, what do you mean to you? Man? Have you hit her? Bro? Every time we talk about his touch. Man, his impact was crazy. Bro. I lived in Newport for five years, so I had my kids by myself, man, and he would like play with my kids and like take good care of me, man, and Bro, he was just different, crazy, different far as like he made you better, like you playing the Clippers, no offense to anybody. You going out bro having a good time. But if you got Kobe, Bro, I'm chilling like that's gonna have me on my egg game tomorrow. So he made you better without even knowing he making you better. You know what I'm saying, Like I'm playing the Lakers. I got Kobe, like I'm locked in. But if it's the Clippers or you know what I'm saying, like you're going somewhere else. You know what I'm saying, like you out in the streets. But he always like talked to me like I was in Newport Bro. He always took care of me and was just be like, I see you always working like he always acknowledged me when the league didn't. And then just the coldest shit I've ever experienced. And I don't know if he has something to do with it. My first chance to make the All Star Game, I didn't because Kevin Love had that crazy year where they they lost every game, but he had thirty games, Yeah, twenty and thirty games, so his stats was stupid. But I should have made the game because like my team was like number seven in the West, and like I was balling that year, I didn't make it. I saw Kobe. It's like, don't worry about it. That just keep doing you. So then the next year I ball again and they announced it right before we go play the Lakers. I ain't never seen this, and y'all can tell me if y'all have. So we playing at Lakers and then like I just got announced and like we were, you know, in the locker room or whatever whatever game they go, they get to my name and they say NB it for the first time. I all start LaMarcus Algiers on the road.
Speaker 2: Bro, they announced it announced, Yeah, and you had just found out before that, so it had to be him, bro, Yeah, yeah, it was that stables.
Speaker 1: It had to be Bro. I ain't never heard that before for sure, Bro, it had to be him. Bro.
Speaker 2: Did you guys get a chance to train together in New Porter? You just kind of see each other in passing.
Speaker 1: So it was crazy we never trained together because he was always so busy, Bro, Like he'd be moving like that little red red Drover be moving. Bro. But nah, So what was cold is so like I had my boys and I would train him every morning so it was like that that little wreck in Newport's like one wreck that's like.
Speaker 2: Off the freeway. Yeah, we went out there and trade my kids. He trade my twins in that little rec center.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I was in the same one. So I wanted to train my boys every morning. So I want to do like six or seven. They're like, Kobe got it. So I'll get that ship right after him because I want to you know what I'm saying. I want to get there early and like watching them or whatever. So I always saw him in past and when when when you know he was trying to gig or whatever. So, Bro, I saw him all the time, like, chop it up. Bro, he was just he was the right.
Speaker 2: People don't know how cool and down to earth is if he fucked with you, he really.
Speaker 1: It was crazy because it's like as Hoopers, you know, how to understand him on the court and off the court. Of course, he's competitive, so he gonna come up as a dick on the court, that's just Covid and Coke. But off the court, Bro, he was one of the best people you could ever meet. Bro. He wouldn't let a lot of people see that side. My first time in Newport. I just bought my crib. I'm at dinner and I saw Cold and we were cool. But you know, like I'm more chill, like I can go over to his table and be like, you know what I'm saying. So I see him, but I'm you know, like I don't gonna say ship. So he come to my tail like what's up, rook. And I was in the league like five six years by that point, so like, you know, like just talk to me for a minute or whatever whatever. So then at the end of the night, you know, I'm about to pay, it's already passed. He looked over and he's like, nah, you're good. You know what I'm saying, Like like this ship like that like out and about you know what I'm saying. It's like this a good dude. Yeah, you got me crying on the show. Then, yeah, Broo, it happened to us too. Being a Texas boy growing up, I watched Tom Pender's and BJ Tyling, Terrence Richard, Reggie Freeman all the play we all want to go to Texas, end up playing in Texas. Talk about you growing up and ended up at U T Bro I growing up, bro, I wanted to go to Carolina because of MJ. I'm a big but you know, best best best player in the world. You don't care what position he is. You want to you know at the park. I'm I'm MJ, not Tim, you know what I'm saying. So I wanted to go to Carolina bro So I was growing up and like a dope story is like I grew up and I was like in the streets and I was like headed the wrong direction, so that my mom was going to send me to the school with my cousin, which was in Pleasant Grove in the hood. I was probably gonna go to the wrong direction. But then I ended up going to Cigareville High School, which is like a little country ass town. So then the high school coach came to my house in the summer and like I'm from the hood, so like you ain't coming in the house the first time you meeted it. So it's one hundred and seven degrees and he on my posch talking to my mom and he's sweating. He ain't letting them in no, so he two hours like bring your son to my school. Like I'm gonna get him right, I'm like, you know what I'm saying, Like get him out the streets. But whatever whatever. So then I'm like, please don't like I'm begging, Like she don't believe this. Man. I'm like, I don't want to go there, like it's a wax school. Ain't nobody that you know what I'm saying? Corny asked, So I don't want to go to That's long story short, she said, are you going there? So I'm like fuck. So I go to Sigaville High School. First day he bring me in. He was like, I've heard about the things that you do and how you are and how you move. Like he ain't saying like that. You know, he owned the cat, so he just but that's me translating that. He's like, if you give me one year of you not doing the things that you do, then I promise you, like I'll get you to college. And no one had ever even mentioned college for me, like I was different. So I was like, all right, I'll buy in. So he's like, what school you want to go to? And I'm like, shit, Carolina. So he's like, give me one year where you don't smoke weed everyone before school, where you don't go still you don't do this, and I promise you like, you're gonna be good. So I'm like, allright, fuck it, are you freshman year? Because my eighth grade I don't I don't. I don't remember seventh or eighth grade. I was so high, like I smoked every morning, Like, bro, I'm going to I'm going to school with high. It's a kite welcome. So he was like, well, it's cool to me. I never guess, but it makes sense though, go ahead. So he mean, he was like, stop all that ship. Give me one year where you locking in and you get in the gym, and I promise you you'll get a letter from Carolina. Half of it I'm thinking this cap. But half is like, no one's ever believed in me either, So fuck it? Why not roll with him? Long story short. I get in the gym, I started smoking, I'm all the time for class, blah blah blah. End of the year. I balled out too. I had twenty seven sixteen versus Bot because me and Bosh was in the same district and his school was cold as a motherfucker, so I ball against him. It was iked igo. I ball against Icy. Ike was nice, brong. Yeah, I ball against so long. Stay was short. I go against all the heavy hitters and I hold my own end of the year. They be like, yo, he real. So then I get the first letter of my life was from Carolina, like you on our radar, that was your first letter. First letter, say, in my room, I had a picture of MJ in the frame. I put that bitch right in the frame. Yeah, and the rest was history. Like then smoke no more after that in the gym all day, like taking class seriously, Like, bro, if he never came into my life and I told him I got into the Texas Hall of Fame like like four or five years ago. I told the story about him, and I was like, I was headed down to the wrong path. I wanted to go to the hood school where I can still smoke, I can see my cousin, you know what I'm saying. Like, I wanted to go where it was gonna be easy. If he didn't come to my house and spend two hours in the hot ass sign in Texas As you know it's as admitted. No, wait, he's sweating. Bro. He had a wig like a little wig. Bro, it's melting. Bro. It was like b but he didn't waiver, Bro. He like he stood on it and I was in like a little trailer home in the trailer park. There was two bad roomors me, my mom, and my brother, like one little ass bro and he was at the door for a minute. He talked us through that ship and I was like, Bro, if I didn't have him do that, Like, I don't know what if I would, did you stop using cannabis from there on out or not? Just more strategically, He's I was in I don't know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean that was kind of my next I mean, we were guys that smoked throughout, but it wasn't We wasn't doing it.
Speaker 1: We wasn't promoting it.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying someone that did medicated throughout your career as well and kind of found ways to get around it.
Speaker 1: And now I want to promote it either for the young fellas, like I want the young fellas to do what they felt it is good for them, and parents saying I'm pushing you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like I got kids too, so what did it do? But But to me, what did it do for you? Because like I said, we random story. You know, I was in the finals with go in the state and he's still playing we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 1: Go ahead. Yeah. Man. First of all, I said, I was in Oregon, so the ship was right there, bro, And you're coming off the tail end of the jail Blazers too. Yeah, so that's where I was gonna go. Like I had a I won't I won't out anybody, but I had two vets to have me over and Bro, it was like yeah, so I did. Yeah for sure, especially when I was in Portland, like got my old connected and found your way around it and and to me, like I said, like, we not. Well, I can't speak for that one. And it seems like you're on the same page. But you saw a successful career. It wasn't about getting high and no, no, no, it was what it did for you. It helped you relax, It helped you sleep, it helped pain. It did a lot of different things.
Speaker 2: And I think everyone gets the stigma of you're smoking to get super but sometimes I do just want to get super hot. But it also does during the season, it does a lot of I'm not a big drink ground and be popping those pills.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna do nothing else. So it's the unwined too. After the game, the decompression word I came in when I don't know if y'all remember this, A lot of fans won't know. This ship is when toward Doll was like shit, so you took that ship and you go run to a fucking wall when that ship wore out, man, fucking knees. You know what I'm saying that, So then when you light one up, you know what I'm saying, like that should happy to sleep because that stomach bro I got a toward off story.
Speaker 2: So Clippers second round versus San Antonio first round or second round?
Speaker 1: Maybe we first round.
Speaker 2: We knocked them on the first round the year they won the chance and coming off the championship, I run into a Dwight Howard screen before the playoffs and completely fucked my right shoulder up, like so bad that I can't lift it at all going right into the playoffs. So like, you know, either you can sit out or we can give you some toward off, Like what's it? And I remember hearing toward all because one of my homeboys in USC used too much and it fucked his liver up, but he had to retire from the Patriots exactly, So I'm like, shit, I'll give it a try. So when I tell you, they shot me in my ass with this toward all like an hour before or and I was super bad all around garden Kawhi, just fine.
Speaker 1: Jumping, dunk and shooting. But when I didn't have it.
Speaker 2: So the funny part is so I always had a pregame ritual where I'd go pee before the game, like right before they do the announcements, before they did the starting lineup, I'd run back out there.
Speaker 1: This time, I'm going out. I'm going in there.
Speaker 2: I'm about to pee, and I fart in the tourter. I like I wet farted myself. Bro shorted, sharded bro. Three minutes on the clock. So I have to take this bro. I have to take my tights off, ball them up, throw them away at the bottom of the garvage and no one can find up going my bag, didn't have no more run to the back the house.
Speaker 1: The fucking equipment man's out there.
Speaker 2: I have to break in this bag and get some new tys and put all this ship on. Missed my missed the starting lineup, call bos out there for the tip of the game.
Speaker 1: Shower. I couldn't, I couldn't, I couldn't murder. I felt sorry for had. I had to wear some toilet paper. I got a towel and wipe.
Speaker 2: You got all that in the bottom, and then I did. I had tape on still take a playoff basketball games. But I saw that that tourtoll the motherfucker the stomach. Oh man, So I was superhuman. I'm kind of happy that they stopped using it. I kept using that ship.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. I was taking it so much that in practices I couldn't even run into people, because like I was used to just running the people, and I was like, I was so sore, like my ship was so fucked up, and brothers, yeah, yeah, I had. I had surgery on this one too, But I was so like fucked up when I didn't take it that I couldn't even practice right. I couldn't even run into people. It was just hurt. So I was like, bro, this ship is too good almost when you take it exactly to the next season, I think the NBA banded and then they went to I celebrated, and then that's what they do now. Based don't ship. Nah, you were from the worst like the best ship to the worst ship, like like eight of them bitches and you still don't feeling in size up the number two pick six to Chicago, immediately traded to Portland.
Speaker 2: Uh went one, Adam Morrison, three tires, Thomas Ford, Sheldon Williams.
Speaker 1: Five. Damn, I'm looking at that. I know you like boy Brandon Roy six. God damn, So you land you end up landing with b Roy your rookie year.
Speaker 2: B Roy gets off to a good start, there's not really too many people in front of him. You get there and there's Zebo. You know, everyone knows what kind of motherfucker he was. So what was the beginning of your Blazer journey? Your NBA journey?
Speaker 1: Like each step was like nobody really believed, but like it took one person to believe in me because like I remember when I got drafted, Steven was like he could have won twenty. He ain't gonna beat you know what I'm saying. I'm like, damn, bro, Like, let me live a little bit, you know what I'm saying. So I just got you, Like, Bro, I went from broke to pay, like, let me at least have a night to like, let me get a jumper up. Goddamn bro. So and then I remember hearing like, bro, I'm big on like motivation ship, which I look back at my career. I'm like, it's good and bad to take negative and make him to like a you know, I'm sound like motivation because like you spend your life looking at negative shit too much. But anyway, I get there, and I remember hearing that the like one of the gms is like, well, he's the project, like we think he can be this, but we're not sure. I'm like, damn a project at number two that's kind of fucked up, Like you gotta believe in me at number two. So I a bet so I get there. Like day one, they were like, b Roy's I guy, he's gonna play, We're gonna get him touches like some eleaks all about him, all about him. So I was like, fuck, I ain't really got a chance to really try to shine because like they want him and grant that motherfucker was cold, like I ain't taking shit from he was cold, so that I really didn't have an opportunity to really like try to shine or whatever. But I do give credit to Zebo that nigga woo my ass in practice so much that I learned how to get more physical. I learned how to use my body. I learned so much from him in practice because his thing was like this motherfucker trying to take my spot straight up. So it's like every practice, I'm on your ass, boy.
Speaker 2: So it was like, and this is back when the stars were practicing in practice, two hour practice.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't know, yeah, like you come in that bit, You're about to get it. So it was like practices was like battles with him. And I feel like I grew so much from playing against him in prize because he was like, oh my ass, and I started to get better and better. So it wasn't really much opportunity at first. And I remember I played one game with Zebo and I killed. Like my first game was against Dallas, which was kind of kind of cool for me because I'm from Dallas and I played good and shit. And now I remember we had Ray for the Friends. He had just signed a sixty So then Nate pulled me in the office and he was like, hey, man, I know you played good or whatever, but we got Ray for the France making sixty million, so we got to play him over you. I'm like, like, what's the goal here? To win? Or just to play motherfuckers because they got money or was I not just pick number two? Yeah? So then so then I was back even more. So we got Raife playing and he on the bench saying like, I'm over this shit so rayful, I don't want to play. I want to play. So then I'm like fuck it. So as long as they was sharp. We get to the end of the season. I had been playing off and on and Zebo he had broke his rich dumors like some shit, like the last thirty games. So then they were like, hey, z Bo's out, so you're gonna start now. And I fucking balled the rest of the season. I think I was like eighteen and like eight or whatever the rest of the season. So that summer they call and there it was Nate. He was like, do you want to be my starting power for next I was like, hell, yeah, I want to start next year. He was all right, well, we're going to trade z Bo next night Draft night they had traded Zebra the Clippers. Yeah, and then that's how I got my opportunity to like really start to plays. Because if you don't get hurt, bro, I might not even get the opportunity to really so like who I am? But he got hurt. Then I got the last twenty five games like be me, and then after that was good. So what was your could you hear different things?
Speaker 2: And obviously unless you're there, you don't know, and you know sometimes it even may look different to you now that you've been removed for so many years. But what was your in b Roy's chemistry relationship?
Speaker 1: Was there one? Was there one early on? Or yeah? No, it was all good, bro, Like I never had any any ill will towards him, and like, you know, like same way. It's just the competitiveness, yeah, and like not trying to make excuses. So you got two alpha us and you're young, it's hard to learn how to be Like I always called it Batman and Robin, Like it's hard to be Robin when you want to be Batman and you're both young. You know what I'm saying. You have the talent to be Batman. Yeah, so it was like a little tough for me in the beginning. But nah, but he was cool with it, you know, like he just did this thing or whatever, and like I was kind of like always wanted more opportunity. I never really got it. But now like we had no no issues, Like we kicked it like that's when like you go kick it in the club together, you know, go out to eat together. It wasn't forced like to that, like they forced the ship. But back then it was like, let's just get out. We heard a story.
Speaker 2: We don't know if it's true that you guys had a Nike commercial shoot where you guys had like a long kind of like conversation, hard to heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: After that, Yeah, okay, you know it, we're doing our research. You know who's a commercial? It was Greats right whose commercial was?
Speaker 1: It was Lebron, So that ship was already a battle for the beginning. I think it was le Brun a couple. I think it was Lebrun and they want us to be in it or whatever. And I mean at that time be Row was shaid at one point it was like Kobe and him, like you know what I'm saying. Like so he was like, man, I shouldn't do this shit, like you know what I'm saying, Like I'm on the same level as these motherfuckers, and like I respected it, like I said, I gotta do it. I ain't there yet, you know what I'm saying. For me, I want any type of pub I can get right now. So he was like, he ain't want to do it, but I think now he talked him into it. So then we go down and we're in the trailer waiting for whoever was whoever it was, and then it was like the person was late to the shoot, so that we had an extra two hours in the trailer. So we both getting hot. So then yo, you know, you kind of find coming ground or whatever. So we started talking and then the person didn't do the shoots and then we had anohing. So the long story shot, we in the trailer flight four or five hours and we ain't did shit, and you know, at that time you both kind of hot. So anyway, we ended up talking like hey, like you know what I'm saying, like let's try to fix shit or whatever whatever. But it was never no issue. It was like, how can we try to be better for each other exactly like trying to and that type shit. So yeah, we did do that. I want to backtrack a little bit.
Speaker 2: When you get your your your first health scare, it's right around the time the following you're if I'm not mistaken, your mom was diagnosed with cancer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, O seven around that. Yeah, okay, what was that?
Speaker 2: Like, I was, you know, that's how me and him became brothers, you know, I mean we had that we Believe season in O seven and November first, the beginning of the next next season, my mom was diagnosed with cancer. Died November twenty seven, so twenty six days, like I found out and she was gone. And what was your experience like with that? On top of your health scared? Now you gotta worry about your mom as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she man, she was. I mean, I say great now, but it was kind of fucked up. But she didn't really tell me how bad it was, because you know how it is when you're in season and when you really practicing back in the day, like you tired, so you go fucking battle, You're gonna take a fucking nap for two hours after that shit. So I would talk to her in the morning and I'll face you know back then, back then it wasn't no FaceTime. I don't think it might have been, I don't know, but anyway, I would talk to her and then she was like, you know, like she was good or whatever whatever, But then she wasn't like she was really like going going through it, like, so it was tough for me to kind of focus on ball and all myself. But she was really good about like putting it back on me, like I'm good, I'm good, just for about yourself. But she would be having some rough ast days, but they wouldn't tell me, you know what I'm saying. So then I didn't find out too after she beat it that it was really worse than when I knew because I wasn't there. I'm in Poortland and that's just four hours away, and she don't want to put that burden on you exactly, like that exactly. So I get clear and I'm back playing. But then she's still going through her going through chemo and having terrible days. I mean, you know the drill. So she's going through that and like I'm just hearing that she's getting better, but they was like she couldn't eat, she's throwing up, she fell down, you know what I'm saying. So for me, it was tough because I didn't really know what was going on. But you know, she's a mom and she wants to protect her son, so she kept shit from it. But it was tough. Man. Like I remember we played in Dallas and I you know, I'm starting now. So she was like, I'm now no matter what. I'm like, Nah, you got cancer, you know. You know what I'm saying, Like you fighting going through chemo and kee takes everything range and you know you're real susceptible to getting sick. So that's why they said that she shouldn't go. She would not let me like, Bro, she was there. I bought her court she's courtseyed with a mask, and I'm like, you shouldn't be here. But I bought that obviously I had to. I balled out and she was there. But then bro, after it's what she didn't tell me is like, Bro, she got crazy. So she had like a major setback because she got sick after that ship, so she shouldn't have went, and she didn't tell me, you know what I'm saying. So it was like she was being strong, you know, like for me, for her, but that she was tough. Bro. We had Andre Miller too, and that motherfucker's are dog too. I love playing with him. Always one of the smartest motherfuckers you will ever play with. Two miles get anywhere on the court. I have a story for him next. But so then it's like we got him. So every time we were healthy, I would be on the trade block because it was like, well we really kind of need them, but we don't and we can go get us, you know, like a three in the guy for him because he's like good. But then Greg gets hurt, then it's like, oh, we need you come back, and then I would, you know, get the ball more. They would play through me more so, Bro, it's like you need me, you don't want me, you know what I'm saying. It's like that shit was a lot to deal with. It's like, if you want me to even when we got everybody healthy, like just put me in like that that lamar odham ro Like that's what I'm saying, Like just play through me every now and then, because like that motherfucker was cold and he wasn't Kobe or none of them motherfuckers, but they needed them, you know what I'm saying. So it's like put me in that row. But they never did. It was always like when we were healthy, they didn't need me, you know what I'm saying. So that was tough, but not Greg was a monster. Bro. I never seen nobody dominate like that. Like so easily.
Speaker 2: It was crazy speak to be Roy's game though, you know he was someone else that that maybe one of the top five top ten with IFS type player. But he was out the gates too. E would have gut hurt bro out the gates. He was tough.
Speaker 1: Shit was too easy for him, like playing with that like playing with that nigga was it was too easy. Like I remember the the thing that stands out to me was like the fucking o Toronto game. Grand motherfucker went up and he changed hands on wash and went to the left in the air and like b it was just he got in the gym andy work but the shit was just but he couldn't work too much cause of his knees. So it was like he found the balance, bro. But like he would come in the game that sho would be too easy for him, like coach the motherfucking I remember him going there with Kobe and Kobe giving him the respect kind of like Dame did too, and got you know, got the same thing. But I remember him and Kobe going at it, and I remember after the game like Kobe was like he got no weakness and Kobe said about you, that's that's real. I don't think nobody win that Cob like like b roying bro it they went at it went edit, they weren't at it, bro. So to see them s to see Cob, who we all had up here, and see them go neck and neck like that, that show was time and be holding his own holding his own. Bro we going to LA and getting wins cause this motherfucker's carrying us and like it was fun to watch too, for sure, cause he was he was on that shit like mm, he's buzzing. People asked for sure, what clicked, uh year two you went from you went to eighteen and eight airs in eighteen eight? What clicked to you too? Opportunity That's all it is, opportunity belief Because I was like, as I said, I battled with Zebo. If I can battle with this motherfucker every day, all your other niggas ya got jo food? Yeah, ain't got a chance. Yeah, And like Zebo stamped me a little bit. I don't know if he would ever he did tell me like later in his career, but now he stammed me like he was like, bro, you're real like to have somebody of that caliber, like say, you know what I'm saying, Like he called me. He was like, bro, they gonna trade me, but I would love to play with you because you're good, you know what I'm saying. And it's like to have the battle with him and then have him really like stamp me like that, like that was cool, but nah, it was just opportunity, belief and then just having Zebo get me better that whole first year of like battling with him, and I just felt like in my mind it was like these motherfuckers then told me how I'm a project. I ain't good, you know what I'm saying. So I got everybody's list in my room. My motherfuckers just said I can't do this, and like it's time of like pretty motherfucker's wrong. So for me, it was more about either you're gonna show them that you are good or you know what I'm saying, or you gonna prove them right. So for me, it was just about proving everybody wrong. So I was just ready to just have my opportunity to just do that. You played in the area where it was it was a dominant four man era, real force. I'm gonna say some names and you tell him this first thing come to your mind, KG shit talking, but fade away, shit talking dirt, one leg, fade away all day. Tim Duncan fundamentals, Chris Bosh left hand. I'm gonna getting to that left. I'm gonna give you one who I'm high on. I always talk about Antoine jameson forward. Motherfucker scooping bro Bro first impossible to go, first time had guard on him, I was, I was shoot. I was like, he's like like he's all balanced, but he's not, and he's like leaning this way and the ship scooping under your arms, like he was tough, bro, and like nobody had ever talked to m talking about him like he was fucking cold. Twenty thousand points scored. That's crazy. I'm a right hand and with dunk o your ass. Every time we have some good battles. We had some great battles. I think that when I was with Brooklyn and talked about it, we had some great battles. But if you get that right here in half a step is over you in the fucking basket. Yeah, every time ten strong, strong, somebody you real familiar with Zebo fucking physical and it ain't gonna jump high as a fucking napkin. Like but gonna bust your ass. If he smelled blood, are you dead? You're done? If he smelled blood, are you done? He used to try to motherfucking murder Blake. Every Jezy guy.
Speaker 2: Had to fight Zebo a couple playoffs and hard fouls just to take up for Blake, Like, man, I'm gonna put my life on the line for you.
Speaker 1: It is crazy because.
Speaker 2: He would try to destroy Blake, get him on the ground and hard elbow one or do some wrestling ship undergrounded ship was hilarious, the battles they had.
Speaker 1: And when I said I was kicking it with you, said she. But it was z Boy and Duse. It was rotatious. Brother, You go open up for us a little bit. We all done now. Yeah, yeahs is a real one too, man Like, I can't brother them like they They were good to me. Like I know, it was like the whole jail Blazers type, but they were good to me, man like.
Speaker 2: They even though those quote unquote, but those teams fucked with each other. It was just the outside media to put this stigma on that team.
Speaker 1: They were good to me. It was teams that was winning that wish. They had the camaraderie chemistry. Yeah, yeah, I could see that nine ten eleven first round exs Houston, Phoenix, and Dallas. We had Dirk on the show and Dirk said that the year they won the championship, the hardest shit, the hardest series was against you. It's series against you, which think what was the struggle? Don't have not having the right pieces? A little bit of coaching? Yeah, who was the coach at the time, Nate. I wouldn't say coaching because I'm not here, like yeah, yeah, yeah, my whole thing and it ain't about being scared. It's like I'm just trying to look over there. Just look over there, you just look at it. That's yeah. My whole thing is like I'm trying to spread pot. You know what I'm saying. I get you, But a little bit of coaching, Like we didn't make adjustments, bro, Like they would do something that bust ass and we would keep going the same way. Well you know, like what's the what's the definition of insanity? Like doing the same shit over and over? So but we never adjusted. I feel like maybe those teams are you know, like they were like more more seasoned than us because the Houston team, I think they had y'all and run or just run our test. I think that that teams is the one that beat us and I remember running balled out? Is that the series where you had, like that was the one that was James Harden series? That was James, but it was against the Rockets. Yeah, that's fifty back to back and something like that. Bro every I never realized that series made me. I guess so known, bro, Bro everywhere I go like that Houston series, I'm like, damn, But I played so many other games, Like that's the one you were, Bro, Those back to back games? Yeah was special. Yeah that was special. But that's the one that put me on the map. But no, that was the runout test team and like him and be roight about it a little bit. And then the Phoenix teams. Man, it was just Steve. Steve Nash just fucking tore, Like he just broke us apart. Bro. He would just pick us apart in the pick and roll and we didn't go out to pick and roll, right, and he.
Speaker 2: Just he just killed us. Dan First All Star Team twenty twelve. Best memory of that game that West Sauad was Cod kd Russ, Dirk, Steve Nash, the name a few. What was your findest memory about your first experience.
Speaker 1: Just being in the brotherhood finally just fucking being stamped, you know what I'm saying, being stamped and like finally being there and then but the biggest part for me was like the players who were there, like, man, you should have been here. You know what I'm saying, Like when the motherfuckers expect from your peers is more than anything. So like when for them to tell him, like, man, you should have been here, like that was even It's like like that was cool too. But I think just finally being in the club of you're like, damn, I made it, you know, I've been knocking on the door for like two years or whatever, and I'm finally here. And to have all those guys kind of like said I should have been there, Like that was dopeh.
Speaker 2: The fucking year Dame mid major point guard not really lla kind of hype at the beginning, you know, expectations are kind of unknown. When did you realize that that dame had some game.
Speaker 1: Ship right away? That motherfucker came in and he was him? But I I did ever, And I think he says on an interview and y'all could check it in fact check whatever y'all want to do. But he said, he's like, I never try to like stifle him though, you know how you got older vets and a big like don't do it like nah, like be you, bro, because we ain't gonna be good until you figure this shit out. So I never told him like not to take a you know, long gas free like before he was making them ships like you do now you know what I'm saying. So I never tried to stifle the process of him like himself. But he was good right away man, like in that series, like you said, when I was killing, I think he had back to back thirty and then he ended up making that crazy shot to win it. So for me, it was like I knew right away he was good, and I felt like I just wanted him to try to figure it out as soon as possible so we can start trying to win again. But no, he came in confident, as everybody know, like he's never lacked confidence and he always believed in his ability, so it was like him just figuring it out. And he had a game against Kobe too where he played well too, And I feel like Kobe kind of stamped him a little bit early too. So I feel like day one, like he came in like ready to go.
Speaker 2: How long do you feel like it took you guys to kind of get on the same page or find your chemistry or your rhythm together. I think it took effort on both both sides because I played with Dre, and Dre is like the ball will be in your hands like perfect, like go to the rim that'shits like above the room, like you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, He's got to tap that motherfucker. Yeah. So I went from that to like Dane was learning how to like play with a dynamic big, a dominant bigs. Like the passes were like more bounce passes and Dre was more of a chess pass so he would bounce that motherfucker high or to come you know, like hardware to come up high to you like that shit matter on your shot if you can just get that ship and really, you know what I'm saying, so exactly, So long long story short. I went home that summer and like I worked with coach Caleb who was with us, and I was like, I want to do bounced passes all summer because that's what they didn't gonna throw. So let me get used to this ship so he can do his normal pass and then I can catch that shit and I can, you know, I can cash out. So I spent the whole summer just working on bounce passes for him, and I feel like he started to try to work on his ship too, you know what I'm saying, like how to read my post ups? And so I think both sides just kind of put the effort in. I think that next season after that, we just kind of took off free agency hitting twenty fifteen season and Spurs were calling him. What do you remember about getting there with Tim? And Pop? Was e MA instrumental in that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you got because he was one of you. I wanted to say vests, but he was older than you on the Portland team initially, So you guys developed up friendship there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like right away, he's solid, that's my dog. He takes me, I say, tell me course. But that whole process was tough because everybody thought I went into it going straight to the Spurs, and I was like the real true story I don't know I've ever said on camera, is like I was in l a. I had a condo I was in. I was gonna buy that motherfucker. After I signed, Like I told my agent, I said, the Lakers, this is theirs to lose. So I went into that She's like, this is there fifteen who was on that team? That was yeah, a bunch of young yeah, like young kids or whatever. So that I had my first meeting with Lakers didn't go well, Like I don't like, no knock against them, but they didn't do research.
Speaker 2: Who was still was it Jim Buss still at the at the controls of the team at that time.
Speaker 1: I met Jennie Oh Jim Yeah, yeah, yeah, I met with her. Now, she was great. It wasn't her. It was the son. The miscalculation of me as a person like your son because the son was missing anything. It was like nah, it was just like they were like I walk into the meeting, they were like, you're you're trending on Twitter and like if y'all y'all don't know me that well, but I don't give a funk about trending on Twitter. So as you like, I'm getting to the point of your questions. Like I go from that meeting of like they miscalculated me as a person to the Spurs know who I am. So it's like a family just like this, we kicking it. We eating, were talking Tim, you know what I'm saying, my new Pop and we just kicking it like this, and I'm like, well, this is who I am. So the vibe of understanding who I was as a person was just they get it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So initially your heart was in La and then you found comfort in San Antonio.
Speaker 1: Realness, yeah for sure. And then Phoenix did well because of Earl was with me in Portland, so he knew me too, So they came with the same shit of like he about family and like getting you know what I'm sense Like that shit was kind of good too, So it ended up coming down to Phoenix and uh, San Antonio. It's funny you say that because this same type of setting was the same way Timm and Pop got me. And they told me that I was start you know what I'm saying, I was about to start playing, and just out the blue after practice on the road, call you in the room. They both sitting like this like you're in trouble. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, That's what you think I'm doing all the wrong ship. At that time, I just feel guilty. I don't know I'm guilty. Yeah, but that's how they do it though. Man. They come together and make decisions. It's family, bro. So it's like I want. I went from an organization that was trying to figure out how to have that and hadn't figured it out. I went to organization that figured that ship out to a t and they gave it to me. They were like, we understand you have kids and you have family. Like Portland never offered my kids to come on the plane. He was like, whenever your kids don't get on the plane, just bring on the plane. Man. Like. So he he understood me and what they did, and like that's what I wanted. So my kids are on the plane, going on the road trips and stuff. It's a lot the little ship like that much, bro, because when you when you going all the time, you can take your kids on the plane like that ship helps. They can experience it and they going back to school like I was on the Spurs place. Yeah about you, it's crazy right. Yeah. Might be one of the first coaches that started that too, because they was doing that back in the whole three.
Speaker 2: That's just remember that's how they got they kept, Yeah, because remember that's how Doc fucked up the ship in Orlando with Tim going to Orlando exactly playing exactly.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I did hear it. I made that exception. It was a great exception. Yeah, your first year there, y'all won sixty one games, sixty six seven six seven games, number one defense, number four offense, of course, and that in that system, having you into Tim Duncan with Manu and Kawhi, you know, of course y'all gonna win sixty seventy games. But I was like playing along Tim and having that core and being in that championship environment with that team. Shit was easy, bro, That shit easy with that ship. It felt easy. You know, we grinded. All you gotta do is your job is bro, And then you look up, You up thirty? What the fuck like? So then that's what hurts in the end. I will jump I won't jump forward too far. But now it was it was easy, bro. Like it was like you do your job, you play your role, and you up thirty and you're like, what the fuck? Like, Like I ain't playing fourth quarter, It's like thirty, Like fifteen games in a row. You know what I'm saying, I ain't playing fourth quarter, and like we ain't practicing because you winning in fifteen in a row, lose, you know what I'm saying. So it's like we ain't really practicing like that. So that's why I had to learn my own balance. But I'm sure you had to of like going back on your own or like getting your shit on your own. Yes, keeping yourself shut, because the last thing he wants is somebody getting hurt in practice. He hate that somebody go down with a fake and stop done. Everybody out of here, bro, every day, God damn PB. Like, so you got to find your own balance of how to keep your shit sharp because like that was my one downfall my first year. I'm like, well, shit, I'm going on and you go home too many times, like ya should get weak. So I start going back on my own, like shooting on my own, shooting on my own. But nah, bro, it was I was like for sure, like we're gonna win that shit. But then we ran into KD and OKC round two and like I balled out the first game and then they came and we had him done, like by thirty the second game, I think they came back and won. But the issue was we were older. I wasn't old, but we were like mostly older, and we never got pushed, like we never got ourselves in like playoff shape. So it's like we never got tested, you know what I'm saying in our regular season, so it was like we weren't playing the fourth quarter. So when you get into your first real match, it was like, damn, like we we ain't really in shape for this shit. And it wasn't no knock against Pop or anybody. It was just like you gotta find that balance of how do I push my guys, but I don't want nobody getting hurt either. Then we're like really fucking good. So it's like how do you do this shit? So in my opinion, like we we ran into okay, see young Bulls ready to go energetic, and we kind of fizzled out and then like they had more energy and they got three one. Yeah, we was up too old, and they came back and beat us both straight in fourteen with San Antonio, they just they just was different than Bulls Bro. So it was different. It was we had them like the first game, we smacked the shit it was so easy. But I feel like we had David West and he hadn't played a lot that season, but then after he got tired, like Tim got tired. I even got a little tired because we had never been pushed enough to be in like playoff shape, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, year two in San Antonio, Tim retires. You guys get pole sixty, wins uh Western Conference to get Golden State. Kevin and Steph Kawhi goes down. What's kind of the thought going into that series with you guys, Shit, it's our time?
Speaker 1: Like we had played the well all season. We went there game one of the season, it was T and T and we won, and we have to left that bitch like if this is the best team, we good And we hadn't even got chemistry, Like if this is the best team, we were good, Like let's just keep building, keep getting chemistry. But we all right, So we get to that point and we were like, hey, we're back here, We're good. So then we get into the game. We up twenty something, We rolling like the same ship, and we had Jonathan Simmons. Yeah h time, So then he was killing for us too, So we had him ball and got Kawhi alling, I'm doing good. So it was just like ship was clicking. Kauhi goes down and you know, like ship go to State defenses a fucking one. They doubled me in every which away. I can't get a good shot, you know. Like then Jay Simms is getting more more attention, and it's just shipped went from like sugar to ship real quick because Kauhi and now we're playing so good off of each other. He was balling, I was balling, and then without him, they were just on our ass a little bit.
Speaker 2: Kauhi ends up having a falling out, makes some comments, which I mean someone who was in there, what is what do you feel like you could share or kind of shed some light on that.
Speaker 1: What happened? When somebody ready to go, they ready to go. That's all I gotta say about that. When somebody they ready to go, they even when you you've been, even when you're there, certain ship is never told to everybody, like some ship stays behind. So no one knows all the ship but them, you know what I'm saying, Like shit was going back and forth like with them, but we don't know what was going on and coming from our dynamic. You got to be a strong willed and a strong minded brother to make it on Santonio Spurs organization. Because Poppa is gonna test you and he's gonna he's trying to make you a better person, but he gonna put you in a lot of situations to test you. You know what I'm saying. He did it to me, He did it to Kawai. He did to because of the color of people. But men to Kawhi couldn't take that ship. Okay, That's just what it was. Because we want a hoop. We don't want to be in the corner all. You know what I'm saying. We want we don't want to run pick a roll, you know what I'm saying. And that was kawhi attitude. He want he he really wanted the hoop, bro And when that when the injury stuff came down, how they didn't fight for him in public like Tony had. Tony had an injury and Tony was out a long time. Kawai never said nothing. They was questioned about why kaw was out and Tony was like, well, I had the same injury and I came back questioning if he really hurt Own National TV that push him right out the door. Mmmm. But those that didn't. If you can see, that's a good ass paint over that, bro ship you see that ship at first, that a good ass pain. I'm a part of the organization. So you know what I'm saying. I hear ship too, you know, I mean it is what it is. Man. I ain't gonna speak for nobody, but Bro, I think he didn't want to like do all like the other ship that popped it too, like the learning ship, He's want to hoop. He just wanted to Everybody don't want to learn about Western Africa, learn the maps, and he just wanted to hoop. But I ain't saying right or wrong. Just didn't want to do that. He wants you just want to do and that's and that's really what they was paying him to do. Fast forward twenty twenty one. You go to the Nets, Brooklyn. What was it like playing with Katie, Kyrie and James Ship? Lay up? Ship was easy? Getting lay up at the lay up corb spaced. Yeah. It's what's weird for me is same fucking team one year later and didn't play close to the same. It was weird, Bro, Like first year we had a lot more movement. We had a lot more actions, pinned downs and and I'm getting layups and it's like the second year, like it was more stagnant, more more ISOs and stuff like that. I feel like that's what hurt a little bit. But when you got three motherfuckers that can get a shot, I mean three and a half, because I still could get a shot too, so it's like you kind of get to more ISO. But the first year it was way more movement, yeah, more continuity, backcuts. But it was easy, man, Like good times. Man. Everybody was like about winning. I feel like when they got me, they were like, we all, we all want to go win one. We all, you know, like on the same page. We all want to go prove something. You know. Everybody had to prove something in their own way, you know what I'm saying. So it was just like everybody wanted to go prove it, and shit just didn't work out. Twenty thousand grew up points seven times, All Star played with a handful of legends. Are you at peace your career turned out? Nah? I wanted a ring bro because I feel like when I get to the five year mark and motherfucker started bringing like bringing me out like he got twenty thousand, he ain't out of the ring, which I feel like it is fucked up. I feel like I am you biased. You know what I'm saying. You appreciate it, we're all we're all biased for you. You put the work in for sure with yeah, but I think people gonna a lot of people don't understand my body of work. Not trying to be arrogant. I feel like it's I was in Portland so long. People don't really know those Portland days like that, like when I was really putting it in. So it's like I think people know, like the the San Antonio days because they San Antonio, They're gonna be on T n T, you know, nine times out of ten and it's pop. And so I just feel like the body of work in Portland is a little overlooked. And that's when I became me because I was on the West coast. You know what I'm saying. But I hope I get in. But if I don't like I you know, I don't want to steal anything from I think Westbrook said it or whatever, like somebody said, but I'm already you know where I'm from and what I did and where I am now, I'm already hall of Fame back at home, I'm a Hall of Fame together. Like and again, it's it's with your peers.
Speaker 2: It's not the motherfucking writers and all these other people that have to say.
Speaker 1: It's it's the.
Speaker 2: People that went to war against you and with you, and what they say about appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Over two hundred million in career the back any NBA players signing big deals. What's your biggest piece of financial advice for and two questions and do you have any purchase you regret biggest financial I move a little different because I came from a different background. So for me, it was like we appreciate more, Yeah exactly. So for me, I wanted I want it. I would trust nobody. So you know, I don't know if y'all was like that little picture with the little Asian guy with the tiny piece of papers, and like this is who he trust, Like the list of people ye of as small as as me. Bro, So I got I got to look at it with magnet. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's the way I'm talking about. But so I got to two groups that take care of my money, and I wanted it because I wanted to make sure that they want and they can watch each other a little bit. And you know what I'm saying, because you know, you can't steal from me if he wants the other half of my money and he watching it, and vice versa. So I'm gonna tell on him because he wanted all exactly. So if you fuck up a little bit, he gonna let me know, you know what I'm saying. So for me, that's how I wanted to know Mark. But I would say, man, you don't like I know that that would be a pa all they wanted to say, like save it, like you gotta stay, but you gotta live too, because if you wait too long to live, you're gonna be retired with no money coming in trying to go live, you know what I'm saying. So I feel like you got to have a balance of have a goal of what you want to save, but also live a little bit. Because I live and I'm still well off, I'm good. But if I wouldn't have lived, and I'm trying to do it now because I'm trying to like search for that happiness, I'll be burning through my mind and to feel that gap of retiring exactly I gonna do now, and then you burning money when you ain't got that money coming in like that, So I always say, man, save as much as you can, but also live a little bit. Like Bro, you're killing yourself on the court. You grinding every day. Your life is basketball, So get some shit to make you happy. Go by fast. Nobody never told me that five. I knew that after real live, I gotta tell you, I think about saving. I wouldn't go that far. I'm gonna live first. I think about saving after I live. You gotta save. He still might be in a living face. Yeah, I can't look at it. Look at me. I was living. You gotta save so then when you're done, like I would also put this in there, you gotta save. So if your ship in like my ship, and I thought I was gonna play til forty, if you just wake up and you got a hard ship, you know what I'm saying. Like I was good no matter what. So you gotta save because you don't know how long this shit goes last? A right, you know how they say that ship the NBA PA whatever, the average is three point five motherfuckers going in for two years and lead you never see him again. Everybody, don't play sixty in your draft. Yeah, facts though, but that's what I said. That shit was terrible. But so you gotta think about we all want to be like, I'm playing until forty I'm gonna get two hundred mil. But you it's not guaranteed. You gotta say something. But just imagine how bron gonna have these motherfuckers thinking I can play time forty five.
Speaker 2: It's only one of them. Motherfuckers. Don't believe that. Don't guys, don't allow that ship. That is not your path. No, all right, man, we appreciate we got quick hitters, first team to come on. But I think before I say that, I wanted to say, man, we appreciate you coming and open up, you know what I mean, Like you're one of them star players that we got a chance to play against. But you just who you are as a person. You're not talking about yourself, you're not posting all the ship you're doing. So it's always kind of like, damn, he had a hell of game, but what happened to him? So it's good to others. You're doing well. Man, you're healthy. Appreciate how you saved your money. Sure, but I know you are smoke with a junior high to try to get up.
Speaker 1: Team transferred to transfer.
Speaker 2: But quick hitters, man, So the first thing come to your mind. Let us know the best piece of advice you ever received, quick hitters. I'm over here taking my time. Never get out work.
Speaker 1: I worked. If you if you out work every motherfucker in the room that you should be on. That's what you plus four on the Blacktop.
Speaker 2: So you might need to fight. Ain't no refs who you start five? Man, that's that's tough. Me plus four it was on a Blacktop team.
Speaker 1: I was I would take I'm gonna take y'all too. I'm gonna take ze Bo that's four, and I'm gonna take uh Andre Miller. Oh yeah, they don't really know, you know.
Speaker 2: So you said you had so tell us tell us your Dre Miller story.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah. So first year with him, and I had never played with an elite elite because I you know, I hadn't played with Dame yet and beat rose it two. So my first elite, I want to clear it up. First elite PG for is like you don't say being smart. Long story short, that's when I was like starting to kill. So team was like doule timmy like they were front of me, like I couldn't get the ball. You know. He talks all hot and then we were cool. But I was cool with him, but he would always call me Marcus Owers. I'm like, bro, stop calling me that. So we end the game. He said my whole long ass name, like bro stop, but he was like, Mark's older. Just come here, and I'm like, bro first, like stopped calling me that. But you know what I'm saying. He was like, hey, when you're on the block, just go to the rim. I'm like, Drake, I can't see you. Don't worry about just go to the rim. Like man, he tripping, I can't even see this nigga. I was like, I bet we're on the block. I'm getting in front of it. I spent and go to the rim. That motherfucker is right there. I was like, oh my god. I was like, okay, we're good now. And that's the year we let the whole league in lobs. Bro, Like that was that year? Bro? You from me? Like I just turned that motherfuckers into my hand, Like it was crazy. How easy was great? Lives? Just spent to the rim. I was like, all right, bro, I can't see you, so I can't see the ball. Don't worry about it, bro. That ship, that ship was right there. Man, he's funny. Ever call you your nickname? Or was it always Mark? One time out in the car, I think he called me l A. But he you know what I'm saying. He had bro, No, he won't mind this story, bro. So we we we in l A. Bro, we didn't live having a good ass time this black. I think we had. We had been winning and winning and winning. So we got to tell you what. It's the whole crew and like we asked him to go out, but I don't think he said he wanted to. Long story shart, bro, y'all know this niggas, y'all gonna get it. We in the club, we having a good time, We kicking it. We on the Floyd left. You know, it's the vibe down there. We looked to the left and the corners. The nigga by himself just chilling. It was Dre like what the fuck you're doing in this spot? By oh y'all good bro, y'all good bro in the spot by himself like right behind us in the corners, Doug as the motherfuckering the corner. It's Dre just kicking it by himself. Bro said, like, what's up are y'all? Y'all good broun y'all know. I'm like, he'll give a Baron Davis have that same type of little bit like that were laying in Dallas. He right to the skating ing. Y'all want to go skating with me? Like? Bro? Like how random iss is? Like he I grew up. He in the hood where I grew up. Niggas. He was like, Yo, Dre here, I'm like in the hood. Yeah, Bro's skating dancing Like Bro, I'm like, he a real one. He had where I grew up. When he skateing by himself, pulled up by himself, he got his own skates with him. I was here.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good childhood crush.
Speaker 1: That's tough. As I've gotten older, I realized people say she had a real one, but uh, I stay, she dashed in the crush. I mean in the videos Bro, early on station when you were young, she was bad. She was bad. Bro. He was like, Bro, she's slid. She think a little bit, Bro, she was silent.
Speaker 2: So some of somewhere along line she crashed, but so not that not the one now, but maybe you could have changed her.
Speaker 1: I would have tried. I should have gaven an opportunity. I would have tried something. You wish it was better at just in life. I don't have to be sports. More music talents. I used to play the piano back in the day. I didn't use it, so I kind of lost it. But I wish I was one of them niggas that can just pull out a fucking guitar and ship and just you know, I ain't gonna do that ship. Nah. I didn't say a fucking singer. I just said, you know what I'm saying. I like music a lot. You want to do with my pa if I had a fast car, like and I got a fast car I love. I got a couple of fans exactly. That's me right there. But more music type ship good guilty, guilty pleasure cars. Got a car collection not as much now, low key, not as much now, uh seventy six Chevy Chapelle nine and Paula uh Ram t Rex truck, uh Rose Roy's coloring and made back two tone uh dode, I mean the Defender. Friend drove a Defender and then I got a uh to Marten uh brough uh the new Bronco and I'm missing one more escalator the I have a few houses too, So these ages all marked there outside my ship though it is yeah, yeah, yeah, I got the one that's the Raptor addition, So it's a little bit faster to like fast call best shooting American big man of all time, with you sure to break your arm yourself on the back. I gotta go with Dirk Man America. Oh you're right, you're right, American. You see what I'm saying. You're trying to give you a chance to talk to your ship. You go throwing me alive. I don't want y'all right now, y'all tell me just go to the rim. And I want to go to the rim. Bro. I'm telling you'll work smarter than that all. I'm telling you to turn the face. Yeah yeah, yeah me bro, Like I did that ship at a higher level for a long time. Not trying toot my horn, but I feel like not in night Out like consistent. The shot that everyone said was a bad shot for everybody else, it wasn't bad for me. So me there you go. If you could see one guest on our show who would it be? But but you have to help us get your answer on the show. Uh, I'll be I'll be watching him trying to make sure I say something that's been on here. Y'all had robbery. Yeah, we have a big shot because I feel like I wanted to start a show and just I wanted to tell his story. But y'all already kind of got to it because that was a winner, bro. But don't get talked about it though. But people don't respect that because he wasn't the stars of the team but his but the shots he made, he was bigger than any big superstar, That's what I'm saying. So shifted because he didn't want to get found. He even said that ship publicly and then he knocked that bit. Like, Bro, he's made some big had shots for a bunch of the best shooters in NBA history that especially behind the three point line, can't make shots in the last two, last thirty seconds of the game. He is proven in history. He came off the bench ice colder one like the motherfucker down. So uh y'all had uh sea bosh yep, yep, early, How was that one good? During the pandemic though, wasn't it? Yep? I fucked with We competed when we were younger. We played on the same uh AU team too for a little bit. Brenda, Uh this this painting was saying Brandon Royal, damn that that motherfucker talk to No, we haven't had him. You haven't had Brandon? Right? No? Why we didn't think of that? Yeah? No, shut up, he didn't. Y'all have g Greg? Who Greg Oden? No? I want to. I want to hear his story, bro. I feel like.
Speaker 2: Decided I started phlling him maybe like a year ago, and just kind of because I didn't know where he was either, I started following him and kind of see he went back to school coaching and stuff and liking this stuff. And I sent him a DM and he just read it. It left me on seeing so but I didn't have no relationship with him. Put that good word in press line. Yeah you no bad dude either. I decided that he has.
Speaker 1: A hell I mean, he has a hell of a story to tell. I want to. I want to hear his story because I feel like, bro, he gets so so thissed or like dismissed. You know what I'm saying, I feel like he need to tell his side of the story, like bus can't even be put next to his name in the same sentence because when he was healthy, he was he was doing that fucking proud. But how good would you be with one leg longer than the other, Like could you even dominate at all if your ship that you know what I'm saying, I had two good legs, couldn't do. So let's just put it that way. So now I think I think he deserves it to tell his story on a safe space and this is will be honored. Yeah you know what I'm saying, and let him control his own there. Ye yeah, I think cool. All right, man, Well that's a wrap.
Speaker 2: L A again we man, We appreciate you spending some time and and and giving the world a chance to get to know who you were, because again, you were one of the great players.
Speaker 1: Don't talk much, but come to find out you're cool, cool as ship. Appreciate the time. We uh, we'll catch you. You know where to find us. What's the all Later