Speaker 1: Welcome back to Unplugged.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: We just had a great experience in Dallas. We were on the ground for the Tyson Paul fight and forgive that fire alarmer in the new building and someone either must be smoking up a storm or burning bacon. Shit's been going off for about thirty minutes now, but we're gonna get through it. For most of you that don't know all the smoke was able to recover? Is that the right word be archives from Showtime Boxing and Fight and we now have that under our umbrella, immediately putting us in front of ten million avid fight fans with lessing, but that with those numbers, we were able to partner with Netflix and be a part of this amazing week they had. And before we actually get to the week, I want to give a huge shout out to Netflix. I mean from the time they picked me up at my house, they got me to lax, they moved someone else's seat so I can have a more comfortable seat. They walk me out onto like the tarmac where the planes were, and drove me in a car to like a different terminal. I didn't even have to go in the loading area. I got to walk right up the stairs to the plan. I really felt like I was somebody, and that's because of Netflix. When we got to Dallas, they had people they're ready for us, that grabbed our luggage, took us to the hotel, any questions, anything, took care of myself. The whole team even got rooms for my twins last minute. So we want to thank everyone in Netflix for rolling out not only the red carpet for us, but for everybody. This was one of their first live major sporting events. You know, obviously they did a hot dog eating contest, but I think this Paul and Tyson fight, with the numbers they did, showed that live sports is definitely in their future. Amazing event, amazing night, and definitely want to show some love to Netflix. Outside of the actual fight, we got a chance to shut up, set up shop out there, sat down with some of Netflix's VIP guest, sat down with the One and Only Doc, had an amazing conversation with him and really looking forward to you guys seeing that and what's a store for him in twenty twenty five. Also sat down with said the entertainer who had us laughing the entire time, but said, they said, you came to the fighting some bullshit, and they were on you on in the internet something about coming to America, and I don't really know Sab, but you know, you're still my guy, and I'm Mari Hardwick. My brother Mari Man had sat down and had a real dope, deep conversation with him. So looking forward to you all the Smoke fans catching those episodes. And also had a chance for the first time to do Art of Smoke, a name that Jack came up with with the on the Fly with myself, Stack, Roy Jones, and Andre Ward had a great time the pre fight for Netflix. So we had a great time doing that. So I say all that to say, man, we had a great time in Dallas. Thank you to Netflix, Thank you to all of our guests. Read a new point in the way people consume content. Streaming services are huge, you know obvious. You know Netflix crashed a few different times, but I think overall it was definitely a successful night. That just means a ton of people and a ton of traffic were on the site. We know that Netflix has signed a deal with WWE. Starting in twenty twenty five, all Monday night raws will be on there. They have a Christmas Day game where they just announced that Beyonce will be performing. I really see the sky being the limit for Netflix, and it was honored to be a part of that. And we hope you keep us in mind for all your other live events. Hope you guys enjoyed the fight. Obviously, you know the Mic and Jake fight. We were wrong with our predictions, but I think overall it was a win. But to get a little bit deeper into that conversation, let me bring in my brother, Roy Jones, the newest member of the All the Smoke Fight family.
Speaker 2: Roy was going on, man, how you feel it?
Speaker 1: Good? Good? First of all, I want to thank you. Obviously we got a chance to really sit down while we were in Dallas. But man, it's just it gives me goosebumps what I just said. To know the fact that we have an opportunity to have you in the mix with us, all your experience and your knowledge of the game is really going to take us to another level. So I personally want to thank you for you know, coming coming into the family.
Speaker 2: I want to thank you guys for having me and you andres Stack. I want to thank all y'all for having me. Man, It's like it's a dream come true to have such a team around me, to be a part of such a team. So I really appreciate you guys coming and inviting me to come.
Speaker 1: On board, no doubt, no doubt. Well, let's get to what we're here for. How was your experience? You got a chance to call the fight an electric evening? What was it like for you?
Speaker 2: My experience calling the fight was cool. It was just a little bit like, you know, you like, you just want to make sure Mike is okay, because Mike is a legend, and you don't want to see a legend get humiliated or embarrassed. Although he is a legend and he didn't make good money, you still don't want to see him get embarrassed nor humiliated. So that good. Nobody got hurt, and that was the main thing for me. He got his money, he got out, so I'm just glad for him, you know absolutely.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give you some numbers because I just think the overall night was a success. Seventy thousand people in attendance, They got nearly eighteen million dollars at the gate. Sixty five million people watched the Tyson Paul fight per Netflix. Per Netflix, fifty million watched the Serrano Taylor fight to me, which was the best fight of the night that would put it at one of the most watched women's sporting events in US history per Netflix. Let's start with that, that that pre fight Serrano and Taylor. I was there, you were obviously calling it. What was your thoughts on that? Because I know that Serrano, through the most punches per female copy box numbers, she landed one hundred and seven more punches landed out a higher clip. I think we all saw those butts by Taylor, but somehow she still lost in a unanimous decision when they also took a point away from Taylor. So I mean, from my point of view, the scoring was a little crooked. But what did you think?
Speaker 2: Let me say, let me say a few things. I'm glad you bought this up, and I want to say this without having any disrespect to anybody, because that's how I'm here for. But you got to kind of call it like you see it, you feel mean, I think, first of all, for Soronto's side, I think both fights could have easier just as well with to Sono as they did to Katie Tailor. Now my thing is, your promoter is promoting to fight. The first fight is in your backyard. I feel like you want the first fight bigger than you want the second, if you want it. But they didn't give you the fight in your own backyard, and your guys are promoting to fight. That's kind of strange to me. First Secondly, this time, I think Katie called the gallup bit better, and I thought Katie did better in the second fight than she did in the first fight. But if they didn't give you the first fight in your own hometown and you got the promoters, why would I think they're gonna give you the second fight When Katie actually came up and did a bit better. You almost heard you heard it in the first round, but that's the only time you really to hurt her. She actually choose some pretty decent blows the second time. That was kind of telling. And so it was like, both you guys now in the great power shots, she probably just as many as you. I'm not sure, but I mean, I thought it was a great fight. I really thought a Manda probably edged out again. But I didn't expect them to give it to Manda, because if they didn't give it to her in our hometown, where you I really thought she probably really wanted I didn't expect them to give it to her own equal turf because it just don't happen that way. So now the part about the head, But Katie Taylor is part of the reason female boxes even in the Olympics. Katy Taylor had to dress as a boy to be able to fight in the UK because they didn't allow women to fight. Katie Taylor has done so much for female fighting that to go be a cheat and to try to intentionally but somebody will be against everything Katy Taylor ever stood for. She stood sport just as hard as a harder than most people that are doing. So why would she want to go do something stupid like intentionally hitbut to give something a black guy that she works so hard and so diligently to even get accepted. I just don't see that. So, and I'm not saying that I prefer to Katy Taylor over the Mende Souana. No. I think Amanda, like I said, could have won both of those decisions. But at the same time, I don't think Katy was trying to intentionally but nobody, because that's just not who Katie really is. If you know, Katy, and know what Katy has been through, and know the struggles Katy has done, has been through the fight for this sport of woman boxing. You know that she don't want to do nothing to give this sport a black guy. That's why she say it right away. She knows it was a close fight. She knows she may have not won. That why she say it right away after the fight. Of course I'll do it again. Why would she not a person that thought they are won for real? Bit do this again? No, she didn't say, she said, of course, I do it again. She know it was She knew it could have gone either way, just like the person could have.
Speaker 1: Obviously gonna respect you know your point of view and what she stood up for boxing. But I thought she a couple of them butts, I thought a couple of them things were intentional. But I think my next question to you is how much does the actual visual of someone's eye you know what I mean? The cut she had was nasty rider broo. How much does that play into the judge's decisions and your experience?
Speaker 2: It sounds like it played a lot until it this time, and sometimes it does because some judges take that as though okay, you're we can fight it. But a man of fault just as good and just as hard. Even with that cut them, she showed that she had the heart of a champion, heart of alliance, So that should not have been taken into any kind of consideration because that cut didn't stop her nor slow her down at all. She kept doing what she was doing. And like I said, I'm not saying she didn't win to fight, you know, to fight. To me, both fights could have gone either way. And me the first thing in New York, I thought for sure they were gonna give it to her a man because she was at home. But they didn't. So they didn't give her the first one. I definitely didn't think they were gonna give her a.
Speaker 1: Sephone Taylor got the biggest purse that any woman's ever received, right, a little bit over six million dollars. That's great.
Speaker 2: That's that's eye opening, eye opening and groundbreaking for women's boxing. All she's doing is still her and Amanda is eye opening and groundbreaking for women's boxing. So I can't sit there and say all she does, how could she be She's trying to advocate for something that people didn't want to accept and she's making it making they are making people accept it. But look how hard they're fighting. They giving us a fight that the men don't give it that good to fight sometime most of the time that's the afraiser of women. If you feeling so, how could you not accept that and be appreciable. Yeah, the judges may mess it up some true, but this is boxing, and you guys are making monumental steps and female boxing steffs that never have been made by any other two fighters on his planet as far as females go.
Speaker 1: H No, I agree, man, and that was one of the best fights I'd seen on the female side in a long time. Let's move along to obviously what everyone was there for. You know, there's been whispers and obviously I don't really want to go down this rabbit hole because I think we both agree at the end of the day. It was a win for Mike at fifty eight to be able to get a twenty million dollar pay day as a fifty eight year old legend, which is huge. It's the biggest pay day hearned earned in the last twenty years.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: For Jake to get forty million, it's the biggest payday he ever got. But there was times where I kind of felt like there were punches that Mike held. You know, you're here in and again I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but you do hear you know, kind of stuff circling around where you know, Mike wasn't allowed to throw uppercuts and Mike wasn't allowed to do this and do that. From your point of view, did you see any of that or you just kind of saw, you know, what we thought we were going to saw. You know, someone who was one of the greatest fighters ever is just fifty eight years old right now, and he was able to last eight rounds with the young Thundercat.
Speaker 2: Well, my thing is, first of all, my hat goes off to him for going eight rounds with anybody, absolute period. You understand me. I mean, fifty eight year year old going eight rounds. I don't care if there two minutes, three minutes. A fifty eight year old going eight rounds is out of this world. Number one, number two. There are things that probably he could have done a little bit more of a little bit better had he really been trying to do that. But at the same time, what people don't understand is Jake does have a really good straight right hand and a good overhand right and a good right up cut. So when you try to throw your upper cut, you're right up a cut. Being at you're fifty eight years old, you really expose yourself to be hit with his right hand or his overhand right which are the best two punches he got. So in my defense for Mike, why would I go out there throwing upcuts at fifty eight years old when I know that that's just gonna open me up for a shot that he may catch me in my night humidiation investment? Why would I do that? You know what I'm saying. So it's like I do understand what people saying. But at the same time, from a box standpoint, you gott to know those punches. If you throw it right up a cut. Yeah, and this a young guy, you fifty eight, that's gonna probably expose you a little bit more than you want to be exposed.
Speaker 1: Right now, I would agree you were the last person to fight him. And you know, in the last twenty years, what did you see different in the fight with against you that you saw versus Paul.
Speaker 2: The first thing was the immediate thing that I made note of on the telecast was his legs didn't look the same as when he caught me, you know, And that's not saying nothing bad. I don't know if he ever had a knee. He may have had a knee injury. I'm not sure that. I wasn't saying nothing bad about that, just said that his legs didn't look the same. Sometime four years could have taken a toll on him, or he could have had an injury. We don't know. Like Mike said, he went through so much stuff he almost died, so anything could have happened. We don't know, but I can promise you that his legs were not the same. Hence he was not able to attack as freely and as often as he attacked me. He attacked me pretty much all in that long and he's been that same person. Then he definitely with a peat hake. So but because of either the injury or whatever was going on with his legs, something was not right with his leg you know. And like I said, I hear my commenting partner, I hear what he's saying. But even if you look back at old Mike Tyson fights, I see him with his hands here all the time. But I never seen him biting the thumb of his glob. This time, he biting the thumb of his glob. I never seen him like do it. Even when I fought him, he never did that. So it's like I hear them, but Nah, something something was going on with Mike. I was wrong with Yeah, Either he was frustrated that he couldn't do they want to do because of his legs or something. I don't know one hundred percent of what it was, but it definitely was something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agreed. I helped my group chat my homeboys after the first round. I'm like, I don't like the way Mike's legs look. He just didn't look sturdy. But I think we're both in agreeance. Overall, this was a huge win for Mike. I think it. It brought uh, yeah, huge, huge. You know, two different demographics. You know, the eighties and nineties people who loved Mike and and revere him as one of the greatest of all time. And Jake was able to bring in this newer Internet generation who may not know Mike's history, but probably after this probably went back and looked up and saw what he was able to do for this game of boxing and all his greatness, So I think again, overall, the night was a win. I think the atmosphere was electric. Netflix really rolled out the red carpet from start to finish, you know, from just the red carpet treatment from the airport to the hotel. Once you get there. You know, we were sitting in the first couple of rows and everything was free drinks, food, whatever you needed. I mean, they spared no expense. As someone who's obviously boxed in the biggest surroundings and been at fights, where did this kind of rank as far as the energy in the atmosphere with previous fights you've been around.
Speaker 2: Great's very high for me, and maybe even the top maybe probably the top ones on the scene, because you got to think about it. What he basically did is he expired. He allowed allowed Mike Tyson to be exposed to the social media frenzy that's going on now. You know, we yourself, me Mike, we came along before that social media frenzy took place. Right now that it has happened, most of us people that we missed it. But Netflix just blessed Mike Tyson to be able to come back by way of Jake Paul and experience and get some of the fruit of this social media frenzy. And that was a beautiful thing to me because had it not been for that, Mike would have vantages like us, we just we just missed it and to keep going. But because he was so great at what he head back then, he was able to come back and still generate that kind of attention on a fight because of what he did in his past. And that's pretty big.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, what fifty eight year old is going to make twenty dollars and well what and what that sixteen minutes of fight on fight time at the end of the day. So but I really want to also, you know, congratulate Jake in his promotions. You know what they've been able to do. They've been able to you know, we had a meeting before with these YouTube guys that are trying to help us get our stuff together, and he said, you know, before the fight, he's like, the Paul Brothers are great at breaking the Internet, and that's what they did. They crashed Netflix of you time. That's been the most talked about thing the last few days. But the opportunity he gave Mike, the opportunity in the platform he's giving these women to continue to grow the sport as someone who is a legend as yourself, do you respect the because again, there was a lot of rumbling when he first came on, and I think obviously people are starting to respect him more because he's taking it serious. But what do you think as someone in your position? The platform he's in, the eyeballs, he's bringing the boxing.
Speaker 2: My hat went off to him in the beginning because I understood it and I saw it. My hat goes off to him even more every day because each and every day he does something that's helpful, NOTx just himself, but to other people to help them women get the kind of paity there that they got and that they so richly deserve. Was a beautiful thing on his part. The fact that he could bring so much and he's sharing it with everybody else. Come on, man, that's what people stuff with you. That's what I think life is about, getting it, bringing it and sharing with other people. That's what Jake is doing. Jake is doing exactly what I would think a person like that should do, a person of that caniber should do. If you can get it, share, share with those who deserve it. Those women deserve it more than anybody on the planet. So for him to give those women an opportunity, for him to give my tyson the opportunity, it was a beautiful thing to me. Man, I'm sorry, but it was a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: All right. I'm gonna give you a magic wand right here, promotion companies away, give me three fights you want to see in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Zang versus Bcoli, becolloge just beat Jared Nenerson. I'm wanna see the big, the big Chinese guy fight him. I would like to see Canelo versus Benevedez, and uh, you know, Jeff, for the record, I still like to see Josh versus Wilder, just the person.
Speaker 1: And I think there's rumblings about that possibly happened. I just heard while there's getting back, you know, back to trainings that I'd be understanding. I would want to throw h tank and secure in that mix. Uh as well. Last question, again, we've given Jake praise on the promotion side, in the platform he's bringing. In your opinion, what does he have to do to really start getting respects in the in the boxing space.
Speaker 2: What he's trying to do fight the world champion for real and see how he does against a real world champion, are real top caliber fighter who's around his age. I think that's a beautiful thing for him. I think it'd be great for that person, and think you give him a chance to see what he really is. And he's doing the right thing. He's getting all the experience they can get before you take their risk and do that. But he wants to do that one day, so why not let him try it. He done so much to help other people, why not help him.
Speaker 1: There you go, Well, I'm sure whatever he's going to do is going to be successful. So Roy, again, thank you for your time. It's an honor to have you as a part of the family and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 2: Bro, thank you, my brother. Good to see you and thank you. Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Well again like to thank my brother Roy Jones for joining the family and his time. This morning, there were some hefty NBA fins handed out to some of the young boys in the league. LaMelo Ball got hit with one hundred thousand dollars fine and Anthony Edwards got hit with a thirty five thousand dollars fine for inappropriate gestures to the crowd. I've been in both their guys of shoes when it comes to fines. You know, obviously LaMelo, he to me, is one of the most off the hook, funny postgame interview guys. In the game, you know, might have added pause. I think that's the word that the kids used. He chose to use another word, and the NBA had to handcuff that and then an you know, crowds are crazy, and we've talked about that actually on this show where you know, he didn't take well to what someone said and he reacted to it. But this new wave of young players that kind of say what they want to say and do what they want to do, and I'm not even at it. You know, everything in interviews are supposed to be politically correct, and you're supposed to say the right things and not say the wrong things or even in the games do the right things. Now, I don't think this new generation cares too much about that. These young guys are kind of out here, you know, same what comes to the mind. And I'm not mad because I was similar obviously didn't have the talent these guys have, but always said what came to my mind. And that's why I respect these guys and kind of the way they're moving in this media space. You know that the media has been changing overall for a while, and the players are starting to change and their approach to doing these interviews and the way they carry themselves. As I said earlier, I'm am no stranger to fines. I think last tally, I was close to six hundred thousand dollars in fines during my playing career, and we're going to get into a few of those fines right now. Take you guys down a walk down memory lane. But before we dive into it, my team has a few questions for me since I've been fined so much so shoot away fellas and ladies.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, Hey, Matt, how's it going?
Speaker 2: What's your name?
Speaker 1: Sir? What can you please state your name?
Speaker 3: This stilling When you get fined or suspended, like, how do you find out? Like is it the agent who tells you? Do you get a call at the principal's office, You get an email from the commissioner.
Speaker 2: What's that first.
Speaker 3: Step when you actually find out that you indeed did get fined?
Speaker 1: All of the above, except you don't get an email from the commissioner. NBA security somehow gets through to you. Normally they go through the team to get through to me. I had a ton of calls with keiky Vandawain. I love that guy to death. He's a former bruin. But Kiki used to find the fuck out of me, find the fuck out of me. And the tough part is is like you don't even have a chance to like, no, I'm not paying it. That shit comes out of your check. So if I'm hit with twenty five, you know, we get paid on the first and fifteen, so where over that lands, I won't even see that money. It'll come directly out of my check. But what's crazy is the NBA security calls. They want to hear the story, So you give them the story already knowing that they've made up their mind. They're full of shit. They really don't want to hear. They just want to kind of check the boxes and say that they talked to the people involved. So there were several fines I think that I got that were reputation fines, not actually shit that I've crossed the line. But don't get me wrong, I have crossed the line a few times.
Speaker 4: Hello, Matt, how does the paget excuse me? What's your name, It doesn't matter U. How does the pay get deducted?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, Like I said, the pay comes right out. So as soon as we're hit with that fine, it's not like the team takes it out. I think the in my circumstances, I think the NBA takes the money out, or it could be the team right away. I don't know who took the money. I just know I didn't have it, and I also didn't know where it went. Some people say that it, you know, the goes to charity. I want to know what charity it went to. I also want to know why can't I deduct that for taxes? Because, like I said, I lost over half a million dollars in fines and still had to pay those nasty taxes. So I think those that fine money should have either one. I should have got to pick the chair went to since it was my money they were taken from me, and too it should have been tax deductible.
Speaker 5: All right, Matt, I got one for you. When you go to the principal's office. I want to talk suspension. When you go and speak to either the GM, the owner, the commissioner, what's that situation like for you? And how do you know about the suspension and how long it is.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not it's not really the team. You don't talk to your team, you know, because I think if it was up to the team, they probably wouldn't suspend their guys at all, hopefully, but it really it is up to I know, the only people I've ever talked to with NBA security, So again, they kind of have their you know, few questions they want to ask about the situation. I think already knowing what the consequences are going to be and how much they're going to find, so I think they're just kind of going through the motions when they actually talk to the players. But I think I definitely think there should be more transparency. You know, one hundred thousand dollars fine is pretty hefty no matter how much money you make, you know, so it just kind of is what it is. But I definitely think we should know exactly where the money is going that they are taken from us.
Speaker 3: Last one, did you ever appeal slash successfully appeal a fine?
Speaker 1: I appealed a lot of them, and I was successful on none of them, not a fucking not a single one was I successful. So, like I said, my team is so nice. They have some questions for me, and they also pulled some edits of some of the fines I received during my time in the league. So we'll start with this first one.
Speaker 3: Matt Barnes of the Los Angeles Clippers has been suspended one game without pay for striking Greg Steins of the Minnesota Timberwolves in the neck. Suspended one game without pay.
Speaker 1: Let's see, let's take it out. So this okay, Now, I do remember this. So this happened. He hit me with a messed up screen earlier in the game, and I was just tired of it, you know what I mean. I had to chase JJB last round, so I'm already guarding a point guard and this dude he clipped me with his knee and gave me like a trolley horse earlier in the game. So this is just kind of having enough of his screens and if he wanted to smoke, I was ready for it.
Speaker 5: A water bottle incident in Washington. There's no video evidence of about that one with the water bottle.
Speaker 1: First, So I think I played really well that game. I want to say I had like twenty six, twenty six, twenty four to twenty six points. We were in DC and there was a guy that was talking shit the entire game, and the Wizard beat us that night. And it actually wasn't a water bottle. It was a Gatoray cup, but it had a little bit of water in it. And when I tell you, I kicked this shit so perfect that it hit the dude in the chest and splashed him in the face of the water. That fine was definitely worth it. That was probably one of the only fines I'll say, like, I'm okay with losing that twenty five K because this dude was talking shit and we lost, and it just was a great I mean, the bench was busting up, the people around him were busting up, and it really shut him up. So you know, I'm sure it'd rather be in a Gatoray cup water and the me actually putting my hands on him. So I think he won the night.
Speaker 3: January twenty seventh, twenty fifteen, Los Angeles Clippers forward Matt Barnes has been fined twenty five thousand dollars for directing inappropriate language toward a fan.
Speaker 1: See this is bs right here. And the NBA knows this, and the fact that they still wrote that they're full of shit. So this actually was with Robert Sarver, the former racist, sexist clown that used to own the Phoenix Suns. So I was actually in a back and forth with a dad and his son, but like a fun loving back and forth, like kind of joking around because I'd played in Phoenix before and this little I'm maybe thirteen fourteen year ol kid. We're not really trash talking, We're just kind of talking back and forth. And one of my teammates are I don't remember who was on the free throw line, but one the kid and I were kind of talking in his dad and we were all laughing back and forth, and we got to the free throw line and Sarver said, don't talk. Sarv was maybe eight rows away from the Sarvar was on the baseline, the kid and his dad were on the sideline, everyone front row, and someone said, don't talk to my fucking fans like that, and I turned around and it was Sarver. I already don't like this guy, so I really wanted to go there and ring his neck. So I probably said a few derogatory marks towards him, but it wasn't toward the actual fans at all. It was towards him and to me. My complaint was when I got the call from NBA security, if I'm held to a certain standard, why can't an owner cust it me and not be fined. But again, I knew that was a battle I wasn't gonna win. But fuck you, Robert Sarver.
Speaker 5: So that you tweeted about this, did I? Yeah, I want you to read the tweet.
Speaker 1: Come on now. Barnes later tweeted another twenty five thousand that part of the story that the NBA hasn't told you was my language wasn't directed at a fan. I was talking to the owner of the Suns who was sitting on the baseline, and I only said something to him after he custed me. But because I didn't snitch, I get fined hashtagged the code times you sticking to the script cost you a lot of money. But yeah, so I basically just told you guys. So I didn't even remember that I tweeted that. Was that a deleted tweet or that one stayed? All these are deleted?
Speaker 5: The bleaker?
Speaker 4: Yeah, hello there during the third quarter. This was also November fourteen, thirteen. During the third quarter, Barnes tweeted, I love my teammates like family, but I'm done standing up for these bleep All the bleep does It's costs me money. This sweet was later deleted.
Speaker 1: So I'm done standing up for these niggas, is what I said. All this shit does is cost me money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you guys know me and and kind of followed my career, you know I was a protector of my teammates at all times, and and you know I was ready to go to war for them. Abaka was always trying to do dirty shit and bully Blake, so you know, I just letting him, let him know he wasn't having it. And then he reared back like he's about to throw a spear at me, and I smiled at him. But you know, sometimes in the heat of battle, this is what happens. Again, I don't really recall too many people actually getting into it with actually me, it was most of the time my fines were for taking up for people. And the only person, and I think I've told this story before, the only person that paid a fine when I stuck up for them was Kobe. Kobe took care of the fine where I had his back. BG Big Cat. I know we just talked about you coming on all the smoke soon I can use that. Uh what was that A thirty five boy? I know you're retired now and you got you know, got a little extra money around, so yeah, feel free to You can still pay my fine even though it's nearly ten years later, if you want.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I think the moral of the story is fines are a part of the game. You know, in my case, a lot of my fines were sticking up for people. But again, you know I would do it again. That's what kind of teammate it was. Was always a teammate first guys. I think in the instance of Anthony Edwards and LaMelo Ball, I think the league has given them a few passes because they are colorful and fun and some of the best interviews in the game. But you know, in the NBA's opinion, they crossed the line this time, so you know, hopefully they learn from it. But to be honest with you, I really don't want them to change too much, maybe just choose their words and their gestures a little different, because I think the color they bring to the game is definitely needed. And I'm a huge fan of both of these young guys. So you guys know, since the first episode of Unplugged launched, the neighborhood hater my guy, Gino Davis, has been a part of the program, and we were talking about can he and Ray Young hit ninety mile an hour fastballs. First of all, Gino's not here today because I think it was a little salty. You didn't get invited to the Dallas trip, hey, but that's neither here nor there. If you guys are listening by radio, make sure you guys, when you get a second, go download this and check out the footage. It was a blast. We had a good time, and I don't think it was a ninety mile an hour pitch. But you guys take a look telling what you think. So as you guys can see, I don't think it was ninety. Let me tell you. There was a lady that set up the gun and she said it was ninety. But then there was a guy that worked there that said it wasn't ninety, So I don't necessarily believe it was ninety. But nevertheless she said it was ninety, so I had to pay up the money. But don't think it all. This is the last bet, Gino, Ray We got some shit coming for you. You guys, get prepared. Before I get out of here, I got a chance to sit down with my brother, Rich Climban, and we discussed the ever evolving landscape of sports media, the way we've both been able to build our companies and everything that's gone into it. Before we get out of here, I give you guys a quick peek, but you can catch this on Board Room Dropping this Tuesday.
Speaker 6: And do you feel like, you know, partnerships in business are something that I really marvel at all the time. You know, I take pride in the partnership that Kevin and I have built because I don't think people understand like there's work that needs to be put into a great partnership, and then a great partnership, when it works, can have such an incredible impact on your business, on your life. And you have somebody that like counters and compliments what your skill set is. Did you kind of quickly start to realize you and Jack as partners and in terms of how you both operate and the chemistry you guys had was something special? And did you at some point have to kind of like lock in with him to make sure you were both on that road together, right, because you need the same type of buying and focus from both people.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and and you know, early on it was a journey. I mean, Jack is my dog, but there was struggles early on, you know, whether whether you know, showtime really wanted you know, both of us are just me and you know, it came to the point where, like, you know, if it's not both of us and none of us. And then once we you know, we get going. This is new. So although you know, and we're us and we're so excited, we can actually smoke that you know, sometimes smoking you know, got a little overboard, you know what I mean, So we'd have to have conversations like come on, bro, like we have to really lock in. But I think one thing that really helped us obviously is our chemistry and we're brother brothers, but we've also been role players in our in our NBA career, so we knew how to kind of fit in and find what our role was. And and Jack, early on it's just like, hey, you know, I try us you when you go do these meetings that if you're in the room, I'm in the room. You know that I trust you with the business side. You just need to let me know where I need to show up and talk my shit, you know what I mean. So we both kind of jumped into our role. So I kind of took more of the business head behind the scenes and then also the lead of the show. And then Jack would kind of, you know, do his part and compliment. But I think, you know, as we just had our five year anniversary, you know, we've constantly been having these conversations of like, I want him to want more, you know. I mean, I don't want you just to be talent now, you know. I mean, obviously we'll get into that. We have a whole business now, but I want you to start learning this business and taking these meetings and you know, being more prepared for opportunities because you know this all the smoke is obviously spun into a whole production media company, but it also spins off into other opportunities, and I want you to be able to, you know, capitalize off these opportunities from this platform we've created for each other. Yeah, before we get out of here, I want to give you my pick for the week, brought to you by DraftKings. Last week was ugly. I went one in three, putting my record at over. We're all six four and one, but that's still a winning record. You already know I'm gonna ride with the Niners ninety nine percent of the time, and I'm gonna try to shit on the Cowboys one hundred percent of the time. So here goes my picks for the week. Eagles at the Rams Thursday night. I'm gonna take the Eagles minus two and a half going into La. Next up the NFC West. I'm really interested in this game because the Cardinals I think, are a game up now on the Niners. The Seahawks have a chance to uh do something about that. So I'm actually gonna take the Seahawks minus one at home. You know they got that what do they call the Seahawks fan the twelfth Man? Twelfth Man, You guys better show the fuck up because we need you guys. Next up, Niners at the Packers and all I got to although the Packers are seven to three and looking good, we're five and five were starting to get healthy. So I'm gonna take the nine plus one and a half at Lambeau. Here goes the chance to shit on the Cowboys. Cowboys at the Commanders Commanders minus ten, I'm taking the Commanders, and last but not least, coming off a heartbreaking loss the Ravens minus three at the Chargers in the Monday Night game. So, last but not least, I'm gonna take the Ravens minus three and a half against the Chargers. Ravens had a tough loss this past week, so I know they'll rebound. Although I got a lot of coaching friends on the Chargers side, I'm gonna take the Ravens minus three coming to LA for the Monday Night game. So I wish you guys the best of luck this weekend and we'll see how we did next week. That's a wrap. Thank you guys for joining this week. You can catch us on all the Smoke Productions YouTube and the DraftKings Network. You guys have a good week.