Speaker 1: My name is Clay Knucomb and this is a production of the Bear Grease podcast called the Bear Grease Render where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual Bear Grease podcast. Brought to you by Tokvi's Boots. I'm a cowboy boot man and I've been wearing to Covis for years. The most comfortable boot I've ever put on. Good boots for good times.
Speaker 2: Your finger is exactly this length of your nose, from this joint to the tip right here, this joint, the middle joint. If you put that up to the end of your nose, that is a trick. Look here, yeah, I'm finger. Your finger will go.
Speaker 3: From there, which finger are you index finger?
Speaker 2: If you put your thumb just below the knuckle, just below the knuckle, look look like this.
Speaker 4: And put it right your misty where your knuckle, where it goes from the tip of your nose to where your nose geins right there. It's not a trick.
Speaker 5: Unless you have a spillmaker nose. And there's so a lot of landscape there.
Speaker 2: What is happening is I I told Bailey that one time, and it's also the same length as your ear believe it or not, that's true until you.
Speaker 4: Get to be sixty.
Speaker 2: So I'm sitting there and I've told this, and I caught Bailey sitting on the couch one day looking at me and looking at my looking at the profile of my nose and doing this to herself, and she had the saddest.
Speaker 6: Look on her face. I'm gonna get daddy's nose. So when I called her, what you do? I let her do it for well while I look around, and she's just like, I'm like, I may have made the dance team, but I'm gonna have to tote that around eventually.
Speaker 1: So welcome to the Bear Grease Render. We uh. We got Brent Reeves sitting in his Brent Reeves chair, Josh Lambridge, spillmaker, Bear John Newcomb, doctor mister Newcombe in the toa Covis hot seat. This is big. Yeah, we were expecting a.
Speaker 4: Lot of you today.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, this episode because this is an incredible episode. But I want to start the episode out with a story.
Speaker 2: When you say story, let me tell you what my grandma. This would be real quick. I hate to keep interrupted, but I didn't. I need to know what kind of story you're talking about she if something got broke unbeknownst to me, she would hend me up in the corner of the yard stick and say, Brent, what happened to the window? Don't tell me no story? So is this a true story? Or is this because that she meant lie?
Speaker 3: Maybe she meant I don't want to be entertained right now, doubtful.
Speaker 1: When I tell you this story, you're going to know this story is true because of how bad it makes a lot of well, one particular animal look so all right, So yeah, that's a true story. It's a very true story. So I, as as some of you might know, I have a year probably a fifteen month old plot registered plot coonhounds. It's not really a coon hound. It comes from coonhound stock, really good coonhound stock, as a matter of fact, I mean, as plots go. And but I have not hunted this dog much the dog. So it's not the dog's fault that it's not a coon dog, of it's a little bit of its faults. It's pretty shy, like cripplingly shy.
Speaker 3: It's what you might call the dog world a limon.
Speaker 1: I still have inkling of hope because based upon.
Speaker 5: One that dog ends up on the on the meat Eater auction house.
Speaker 1: So this dog I like the dog. We call her Polly. It's named after David Crockett's first wife who died tragically.
Speaker 4: Who was not a lemon.
Speaker 1: She's a good woman, according to Crockett. Uh and Polly, Me and Polly and Connie, our little feist dog, went for a walk the other day and I had Polly off, no lead, no caller, no nothing, and she usually just stays fairly close, just kind of hunts up in the woods. And we walked during the day down this gravel country road that I live on, and nothing that everything is fine. And they don't ever run off, you know, they'll chase squirrels or And it's been a long time since I've actually seen a deer, like from my house. We have plenty of deer around here, but you don't see him that much. I'm walking Polly. Come around the corner down here on the gravel road, Brent and pointing towards the west, I see a deer fawn standing in the road forty yards away, just like we just come around the corner and just bam, there's a deer fawn standing the road. And here's me and Polly and Connie and we all see it at the same time, and like me and the two dogs just kind of like look at each other, and I go, this is not going to be great, and Polly. The plot just takes off after this fawn, and the fawn flags and runs, and they're running dead away from me due west, which is good because due east a half a mile is a paved road and is a city. Okay, half a mile the opposite direction. But they're running towards the country, right, And so here goes Polly, and I start yelling, hey, hey, no, no, no, no clapping, and here she goes, and here's a race or and I just hear him going, and Polly's after this, and the fawn's big enough that it can outrun the dog, so the fawn's not in danger. The fawn runs out there about two hundred and fifty yards and makes a loop through the woods and comes back and hits the gravel road. And I'm running down the gravel road trying to break up this deer race, and I see the fawn coming back towards me, headed towards town, and the woods are cramped onto the road, and that deer runs right. I mean I could have reached out and like petted the deer when it ran back past me after the race had already started. I mean, if this happened a million times on planet Earth, it would not happen this way again. That deer runs out there, turning for the yards, and here it comes run down the road, and I'm just like, and it just runs right past me. But then here come Polly full just full tilt, loping like a corter horse. And what do I do. I just do everything I can. I just raar back and I mean just try to grab it, you know, as it runs by, and she gets through me. And I see them just running down the road straight towards town. Well, I take off running after him, and you kind of come around a corner and you can see a straight stretch like all the way to the black top. You can see for a long ways. I watch them run out of sight, and that deer never leaves the gravel road really, And I go back and get Misty and I'm like, we gotta get the canam. We got to go into town. Polly is after a deer, and and.
Speaker 4: We just going to the store to buy some corn.
Speaker 1: We drive down there and this would come out later. My sweet elderly neighbors just happened to be looking out the window when the gravel turns to black top and they see a deer and Polly just going down the black top.
Speaker 3: And shortly behind this a.
Speaker 1: Major road cross a major road headed towards the White River, run right through the guy's yard on the other side, and they're just gone that that deer ran a half mile down the middle of a gravel road that turned to pavement. Is that not a story?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what happened with Polly, Well.
Speaker 1: She eventually gave up the race and like came back. Somebody called me, oh no, somebody called me. I was like, hey, I got a dog over.
Speaker 5: Here, like if any animal is loose, and they called Clay.
Speaker 3: And the two dogs. So so the neighbors told Baron I. They said, hey, we think they didn't know about Polly. They knew about the feist Connie Connie the conquista door, and they told me, they said, hey, we think we might have seen your dog. They said, we saw a deer a fawn run past, then we saw a big black dog, and then we saw your tiny squirrel dog running behind them. Trying to catch up, and the neighbors told us that the squirrel dog and the coon dog in air quotes were in the field just running around playing. They called their names, and they ran up to them, and we're just happy to see them. So they looked at the collar. They called us, and we went and we were trying to track them, but we kept finding it had rained, and so there was some runoff where.
Speaker 1: I was, I was tracking them on the asphalt from the mud on their feet. Really see the tracks down the asphalt. So that's my that's my that's my story.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you put a name with that dog because I didn't know that dog. But we just met Connie and.
Speaker 3: I, oh, yeah, the conquistador.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I had stopped.
Speaker 2: My grandmother coming right back into this this story anytime. You know, roadside places to stop for convenience on long trips were few and far between back in the day, and she would tell my grandfather to pull over.
Speaker 4: She needed to change.
Speaker 2: Her coat, take her coat off, That's what she said, I need to take my coat off, which man, she had to go to the bathroom. So wow, I had rented you, only you only rent a big quarter of smart water. You don't buy it. So I was paying the piper right down here, m hmm, hundred yards from the end of the driveway, on my way here to this very immense yes, and talking on the phone on the speakerphone.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, A lot going on, A lot going on.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to interpret this.
Speaker 2: And facing I'm getting there and I'm facing away. I'm facing away, and a little dog comes up and jumps up behind me that I did not know was there. I may not pick again for six months.
Speaker 1: Keep for a stone.
Speaker 2: When that happened, about threw a shoe, it scared the fire out of it.
Speaker 4: And there was Connie.
Speaker 1: Honey, honey.
Speaker 6: I looked and I saw, well, that's one of Newcomb's dogs. But her name is Connie.
Speaker 1: That's Connie. So I just wanted to I just wanted to throw that story out there.
Speaker 4: That's good. So are you glad the little coon dog was got a little game.
Speaker 1: I mean, the dog doesn't tell The story gets worse. Two nights ago, I walked over on some property just across the road to check on a fire and that we had. We burned a brush pots and uh shined a pond, and there was a coon waiting in the pond. I go back and get Polly, and I think I'm gonna just put her right on this coon track and just see what happens. She did not. She didn't bark, she didn't trail. She just was like, she's like, look at that coon. She's like, yep, I smell it. If it was a deer now, oh, if it was a deer, she would have burned it up.
Speaker 3: This is what we call a lemon.
Speaker 4: Poor dog.
Speaker 1: All right, So man, do we ever have an episode? As if you're watching this, you might notice that four of us in this room are wearing bear grease bibs and look really good. So the day that this comes out is July twenty second, and on July twenty third, Like, if you're listening to this today it comes out, the bear grease bibs will be for sale on the meat eater dot Com store, meat Eaterdum, meat eater dot com. Pretty sure it's them meat eater dot Com slash bibs. Okay, And these are the bear grease bibs that I have been working on for for for over over six years.
Speaker 4: Have you drawing?
Speaker 1: I drew the first sketch of this in there's.
Speaker 4: An ad out.
Speaker 5: I don't see a the bib overalls ad that came out yesterday.
Speaker 1: You can see the drawing.
Speaker 4: See the actual drawing.
Speaker 1: I drew that in twenty nineteen before I even worked for Meat Eater and submitted it to first Light because I was I was wearing first Light and working with first Light and I said, hey, you need a utility and at the time, I called it a utility backcountry bib. And if you read what we said, it is basically this exact bib. And uh there. They're really cool and they're they're going to be for sale tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I missed that all of you were matching until now. Yeah, I completely miss that working not working, Larry, Daryl and Daryl here.
Speaker 1: Hey, the reason this is cool is that this is the first time that first Light has collaborated with a with a with anything cool, with any with with any with a brand. I mean like Bear Grease being kind of a brand in and of itself.
Speaker 5: And for those are those of you just listening, it's got this really cool little Bear Grease patch.
Speaker 1: But it also you wouldn't know it unless you bought them. But it also has a secret message on the inside. I don't think I realized that it says don't tell people. Yeah, you can tell you. I was going to say, like you have to, I'll just say it has a secret message on the inside of the bibs.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And uh, you gotta get to Steven Nello, the coder ring you're.
Speaker 3: Disaster impending.
Speaker 4: That's fabulous.
Speaker 3: They look good and.
Speaker 5: Brent, Brent has a BIB overall connoisseur.
Speaker 4: What do you think I like him? I do. I like them.
Speaker 2: I never thought they were going to come to Fruition. They were teased a little bit. We're working on we're working on man nothing.
Speaker 6: And then back it comes and here we are all setting in them like a bunch of What.
Speaker 1: It's got What I wanted is so it has a chest pouch that is a water resistant pouch, so you could put your phone in there and if you fell in the river, your phone wouldn't get wet.
Speaker 4: Suitable for get really sweaty.
Speaker 1: You get really sweaty. Yeah, it's got a big ventilation zippers on the side. I mean the zipper the side stuff is major. I mean you can go way down clay.
Speaker 4: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: That's what BIB overalls are good for those ventilation. Got big kangaroo zippers, like you can put stuff all in here. It's got one pocket here for whatever you want. That's a right there. Yeah, that's for getting stuff out when you're sitting. And now this is what Brent Reeves didn't initially want, but is a zipper up the leg. I just wanted it to be able to get in and out.
Speaker 4: I was happy with the size.
Speaker 1: You didn't want a big zip.
Speaker 4: I want a big zipper.
Speaker 6: Because like I'll wear rubber boots and I'll put my my breeches on the inside and that man, it invariably would always get on my ankle yes, and I'm walking somewhere and it's like I got my.
Speaker 4: Foot and steel trap.
Speaker 2: But these are small and as you know, we've been wearing them that the prototype before this for about a year now and I've been wearing the fire out of them and inside my rubber boots and no issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they have a they have a brier proof chapped front on the legs. I would say that these are like a like a car heartwork overall would be I mean these would be somewhere in between, uh, like like the duck cotton is stretched duck cotton, and they're made for comfort and wearing, but also durability. I mean, to me, the perfect use case for this is small game hunting and wrestling.
Speaker 4: Straight up. Look, no holes barred. Here's how you can tell the materials.
Speaker 1: I hear that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're scratching it with your fingernails. Yeah, yep, that's good.
Speaker 5: Lincoln would have warned these when he was wrestling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt. Man, I can't wait to talk about Grant this. This episode is gonna be good. But before we do that, oh you might have noticed, I say, do you.
Speaker 3: Think most people will be wearing rattlesnake?
Speaker 1: Hey, Josh, get your, get your we're gonna brand.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me get a video.
Speaker 1: So these Areva's invasive pylon python boots come come straight out of Florida? Is that the Is that the belly? Yeah? I would say so.
Speaker 4: I think, and that on the side ain't Yeah no.
Speaker 1: That's but what we're gonna do today is, ah, we're going to uh, we're gonna brand them, so ta cova. Uh uh, let's brand them with this bear grease. So we got a little bear grease Brandon iron here and uh, we're gonna set this here. We're gonna brand them.
Speaker 3: How exciting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow on one of my bows. Hey, once you film it for him?
Speaker 4: Bear, all right, you ready?
Speaker 1: Where should I put it? Right there?
Speaker 4: That's what I think?
Speaker 1: On the on the leather right there. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Probably I'll start.
Speaker 1: Okay, Josh, you got a blow to argan. We're gonna do a meat Eater brand on it. Yep, okay, okay, there we.
Speaker 4: Go this safe?
Speaker 5: All right, Bear tell us about your bow.
Speaker 7: All right, I've got here a hop horn beam bow fifty pound, twenty eight inches.
Speaker 4: So cool.
Speaker 1: And this bow is on the Meat Eater Auction House of Oddities for like a couple more hours today. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I'm pretty sure if you hop on today is still available the day that.
Speaker 3: The podcast comes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah right.
Speaker 7: And yeah, So I made this bow and then I gave it to an artist in Tennessee named Savannah Gregory. And she did all these carvings on there. But all of that she did with little ministry tools, oh, like a little drimmal tools they use for your teeth.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: And so that's all part of the wood. She pulled that out of there. She didn't. She didn't have anything on there, but yeah, we kind of animal tracks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we we kind of decided to do the design a little more natural looking, like we could have done like a pattern, animal track pattern going up the limb.
Speaker 1: It's like a water hole. Yeah, we kind of wanted to make it look like.
Speaker 7: How a bear would walk or a turkey would walk. So, yeah, it's got some turkey tail feather and wing feathers up here, critter tracks on there.
Speaker 4: Those wing feathers are legit.
Speaker 1: Man, yeah they are.
Speaker 3: It really is cool. And then it also has a cool little little quote on it, gonna run.
Speaker 4: That camera, run that video along.
Speaker 7: Bow there and this bow says keep the wild places wild right there on the riser.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we got these python boots, Josh, I'm gonna let you.
Speaker 4: Okay, put it branded. Which way is up and down on that?
Speaker 1: Okay, we're here, i'd say, so yeah, oh we got it on there. Oh yeah, look at that nice job. Looks great, incredible.
Speaker 4: That's money meat either logo forehead. Let me brand your hat. Oh that's cool.
Speaker 5: We'll do the we'll do a bear grease one later.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. Thanks to Covis for sending us these. That's pretty cool sweet brands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might use those. Let's brand wow. Okay, Well now that we got that settled, Yeah, so meteor auction subodities. I've also got on there. My bear hide from the bear that I killed in Alaska was wearing the wet soup. Brent has a bow on therefuse bow.
Speaker 4: With a dialed archery site.
Speaker 1: Is that the bow that Clay gave you?
Speaker 4: It is? It is? Wow two for one wow? Great?
Speaker 1: And I just I mean, you know, it's just it's I just I just noticed it was.
Speaker 4: That was the one that I just.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm glad you. I'm glad you put it up.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I wasn't saying it like that. I he was like, are you upset with me for the bow that you gave me? An altercation rate, No, just the way Brent looked at me, he was he thought maybe I was mad at him.
Speaker 4: I did not care. I just wondered why you was asking.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I just wondered if that was the bow that I.
Speaker 4: Gave you, it is? Okay?
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 1: Well so that's that. Well, uh Man beargree Civil War Summer continues. This is part five we do have one more episode. We're gonna end up with six Civil War episodes.
Speaker 3: I don't think that we can trust you with that number anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gotten a little out of hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, I've been doing this long enough that when they when they say hey, stop, I say no, We're gonna keep going because they've told me this. I've stopped before when I didn't want to stop. Who's they the they? Okay, just them.
Speaker 2: What class saying is he will show us how to beat the hair off a dead horse, not anybody else.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Well, this, uh, the thing about the the thing about the Civil War is that, you know, we said that we're dipping a bucket of water out of the ocean of the Civil War. And so this is episode five. And this episode would have come as a surprise really to me kind of just sprang up in my inbox. Didn't didn't know that it was going to happen because coming into this, and I said it at the beginning of the episode, the the person I was least interested in learning about, honestly, would have been Ulysses S. Grant. And and it's kind of interesting thinking about that, because I'm just telling you. That's the way it was. If I would have seen Ulysses, s Grant, Roberty, Lee, Abraham, Lincoln, Stonewall, Jackson, Sherman, even Sherman. Yeah, William To comes to Sherman on a list, and you were like, which one of these do you?
Speaker 4: Are?
Speaker 1: You really not that interested in? I think it would have been Grant. I couldn't tell I couldn't have told you why. It was just like lack of knowledge, but maybe something more, maybe what Misty Wood, what'd you think of the Grand episode? Oh?
Speaker 3: I loved it. I loved it. And and I think Grant has kind of a little bit taken over our our home. Every time claim I get in the car, our audible pops up with the narrator's uh, the narrator's book. And and so I've kind of feel like I feel like Grant's like a brother to us this summer, the Civil War summer. But I thought the episode was great. You you kind of pulled out a bunch of interesting things. It's it's so hard on on something like this to condense his life down into one one hour podcast. And so I thought, what you what you chose were kind of the random pieces, not really the like, nothing about his presidency, nothing about the end of the war, just kind of this interesting this is what made Grant and his wife and you know, his childhood, his dad horsemanship. Yeah. I just thought it was great and I thought that you had an incredible guest. I thought Louis did a great gallo. Yeah, Louis Yallow and uh, but I thought it was a great episode and very interesting and kind of eccentric.
Speaker 1: Eccentric. Well, I was just trying to just like build, uh, the history of Grant that maybe you wouldn't know, like his childhood and stuff from his childhood that impacted him. And then what was most interesting was just how much he struggled. I mean, if there was ever a story of a guy that was kind of a failure rising to the top, it was it was him. Yeah, and you know, and and and some of it was his own fault. I mean, you know, like a lot of it was with his with his drinking and stuff, and there's it's it's hard to really get to the to the bottom of his dreaming because there definitely a lot when you listen to is his the audible book, it's forty eight hours long. Yeah, an audible book on Grant is forty eight hours real.
Speaker 3: But I mean when I say every time our car turns.
Speaker 1: On, I've been on a bulldozer again this week listening to Grant and uh and what you what you What you learn is that his that he had lots of political adversaries, even inside the Union, that were not wanting him to be president, that were not wanting him to get credit for certain battles. I mean, even inside the Union, there were people like jockeying for power and.
Speaker 3: So a lot of infighting. I mean, it was very it was it was kind of like modern day I mean, it was what modern day politics are.
Speaker 1: Well, except even more so because back then politics were much more geared towards military figures. Like if you you almost had to be in the military to some degree to be a politician. That's not entirely true, but like that was the way that people got ahead in life was going to the military, go to West Point. And so there was a lot of that, and so a lot of people wanted Grant to not look that good and had he had a bad reputation coming into it because he had basically been forced out of the army in California for drinking, and that's still they don't No one quite just says, yes, that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 4: That was it.
Speaker 2: I didn't interpret it that he was forced out. It was more like, oh, man, I took it from the stuff I was listening to. He was so melancholy about being so far away from his family and his child he hadn't seen. And yeah, plus the drinking, which is obviously the you know, alcohols of depressant sod.
Speaker 1: Was he fired or did he just like it's a little bit of all they give him.
Speaker 2: Did they give him the option like, okay, pal, you want to quit or you want us to fire you?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 1: That is exactly the way it happened.
Speaker 3: A lot of people felt like he could have fought it, like all of all. A lot of the people up there were like, ah, they he wasn't. It wasn't that bad what he did. He definitely could have fought this, but he was kind of like, I actually just want to go home, and he was very depressed. And but a lot of the generals thought it was kind of unjust that it wasn't what he did didn't didn't cross the line into uh. I can't remember the word they used, but he basically.
Speaker 1: Throughout his career, his drinking oftentimes didn't roll into his to his ability to do this job. And so they like knew that he was drinking. They knew that this was a little bit dangerous for someone in power to drink like this, but he would show up for work and just be ready to roll. And so that's why they were always like really uncomfortable, bit uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: We call that a.
Speaker 3: Functional alcohol and he wasn't just a high functioning alcoholic. He did abstain for a very long period of time. He was very specific when he would engage in it, and and so that like the record show, it would be after a war, so he kind of it was well timed alcoholism.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: And then they would send people and this wasn't in my episode, but Lincoln actually sent a guy during the Civil War to spend an extended period of time with Grant and his armies. And he had a job to do to like report back on the supplies and how the troops were doing. But really they were like, hey, go down there and make sure that Grant is not too much yeah, exactly. And so this guy was with Grant's army for a long period of time, and he writes a very stunning, very very you know, good look at Grant.
Speaker 4: That guy right, there's the lynch pin to the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, but Grant also knows what this guy's doing. Oh he does, I mean Grant. This is where I feel like Grant did have a high level of character or he just had a lot of moxy as he he knew that this guy was here to look at him, and he was on his best behavior like the whole time. So the guy writes back to Lincoln and says, there's not another man in this union that's his clear minded, sober and as good as you listeness Grant.
Speaker 3: And so he was known for turning his wine glass upside down at dinners like he didn't want I mean, he didn't take there. Self aware, Yeah, very self aware, very self aware and very I mean it was very predictable when he was going to get drunk.
Speaker 1: He also had debilitating migraine headaches, and so people would right back and there's all this written correspondence in civil War that we can track now, and people would say Grant is in his tent and is unable to speak or something. And it was always like was he drunk or is he having a migraine headache? Like you know, there there's a little bit of that, but without it sometimes.
Speaker 3: They would they would prescribe alcohol to treat the migraine headache. That's right, and so there, I mean, it's it's just kind of it's very messy, it's very metal.
Speaker 4: So at the.
Speaker 2: Battle doctor Jack Daniels right there, yeah, yeah, And this is where it's it's it's convoluted.
Speaker 1: At the Battle of Shiloh, which was one of the bloodiest battles, especially up until that point, it was like the Battle of the Civil War. There were reports that went back to Lincoln that that Grant was drunk during the Battle of Shiloh, and Grant they send somebody down to do a report and and Grant never lied about his drinking outright, or at least that's the way it portrayed. Maybe he did, but in the in the records, he would always kind of be like, yeah, that was bad, I'm sorry. And he basically says to the guy, he says, am, I do you think I'm drunk right now? And the guy goes no, and he goes, well, I was just as drunk then as I am. I was just as drunk then at Shiloh as I am now. He said, I hadn't had a drink of liquor and like an extended period of time. So some of it was hype, and then a lot of it came later when he became president. And we know that presidents are just in the crosshairs for everybody, sure, like if you're president, even if you're a like a well liked president, even Lincoln, I mean, Lincoln was today known as one of the greatest presidents, if not the greatest president, they say, just in his ability to lead and things he did, and he was you know, people hated him, so they're always trying to tear you down. So again we don't have the full story, but it's true that you mean, zip that up. It's true that he had a drinking problem. But this whole thing about the Lost Cause is interesting and uh and that's what Louis and Brooks Blevins told me, independent of each other, that the Lost Cause really targeted Ulysses s Grant. I mean, we don't really have all the information, but I mean, as it was portrayed on the podcast, did that seem legitimate that the Lost Cause was tearing him down.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, I mean you didn't. I didn't think you go and you went and ted.
Speaker 1: Or could it? Could it have been? I kind of portrayed it as is the reason I don't know anything about Grant and don't really am not don't think that highly of him because of the lost cause.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that, Yeah, that was there.
Speaker 1: And I don't know. I don't. I honestly don't know if that's true. Do you think that's true, Brent.
Speaker 4: Man, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, growing up in the seventies, fifty dollars bill was unlucky. Really, I was told that a fifty dollars bill was unlock.
Speaker 1: And Grant is on a fifty dollars bill.
Speaker 2: Grant was on the fifty dollar bill. Really, Now, I don't know if it was tied to that.
Speaker 1: Wow, I wish I would have known that. I've never heard that on the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was fifty dollars bill was unlucky. You didn't of course I didn't see me. Anybody else was tolding them. And if they had plenty, I mean, if they had a fifty dollar bill, obviously they were very lucky.
Speaker 5: So you know, honestly, now thinking about it, I can't remember the last time I saw a fifty dollars bill, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the Yeah, they make them, but that was I can't remember hearing that.
Speaker 4: I don't, you know. It was just a common, if common thing, that.
Speaker 2: That is that's unlucky, Like a four leaf clover is lucky.
Speaker 4: A fifty dollars bill was unlucky.
Speaker 6: Now, whether that's because Grant's face is on it, I don't know, but I recall that, and I thought about that driving up here today.
Speaker 1: Listening to m That's good Intel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So was it from that, I don't know, Yeah, plausibly.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. We're gonna do potentially a little bit more on this idea of the lost Cause, because it's a it's a pretty real thing that plays out in reconstruction in a major way.
Speaker 3: But uh, I think it's interesting the lost cause. You know, working in education, things come along sometimes and people are always really paranoid about what who decides what gets taught in school, And that's always been kind of interesting to me. It feels like there's certain things we could just all agree on all the kids need to know, And I didn't realize that that's kind of simple thinking, you know, and when I first got into education, it was in two thousand and eight, and there were a bunch of major, i mean, just highly divisive arguments about some major curriculum changes that were happening in the US. And I don't even want to say it because it was just so polarizing. But it's kind of interesting because I remember at the time thinking, well, I bet we could come up with some things that we just all agree on that kids need to be taught. And then you read about this lost cause, and you read about the work that people went into to making sure certain things were taught certain ways, and you realize, no, there's probably really a lot that we can't agree on. There's a whole lot that you just can't agree on, and it the strategy involved in painting certain aspects of the Civil War a certain way and the effectiveness of that to the point that you're surprised that this guy's a good guy. Yeah, it's kind of interesting, it's super interesting. Yeah, and he's a complicated figure, but I'm not sure that he's more complicated than some of the other some of the other people that we I mean, like, I don't think you played this part, but I was in then interview, and they were talking about George Washington and his slaves, you know, and and George Washington free to slaves on his death, but while he was still alive, one escaped to Pennsylvania, I believe, and he tried to find him and get him brought back. That's George Washington, and and and have that guy brought back to him. And I don't think those are things that people think about when they think about George Washington. We think about him as this really great, great person. So I'm not sure that Grant was less complicated are more complicated than some of those people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about Grant owning the slave was again we you know, there's so much intel that we're trying to pack in here. But his wife came from this Marxuri family that owned a bunch of slaves, as many as twenty or so, and she carried with her into the marriage multiple slaves. And then Grant's father gave actual gave Grant a slave that he kept in as his property for like a year, and then finally he was like, no, I'm going to officially emancipate this guy. And then but by the end of the war, like things had shifted so much, you know, it became like this is the reason for the war is to stop this. It's just interesting. Any any thoughts on it?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: I thought this episode was really really interesting. I think this might be my favorite one that we've done on the Civil War yet. And I think that it's interesting to look at a guy like like Grant, who you know, I have great appreciation for a guy like that who doesn't have that sense of and not ambition isn't the right word, but self self promotion. Really he's there to do what's required of him and do it well. I think that's an honorable I think that's an honorable trait.
Speaker 4: And yeah, he had.
Speaker 5: His own things that that that he.
Speaker 4: Had to deal with.
Speaker 5: But when I when I look at a guy who who you know, marries into this family, he's given a slave and after a year he realizes, hey, I don't want to do this.
Speaker 4: And the fact that.
Speaker 5: He wasn't like he didn't feel that pressure to keep the slave and he did what he felt was right. I think that's honorable, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I don't I think he didn't succumb to the pressure.
Speaker 4: No, he didn't, and.
Speaker 3: Especially the time in his life when it really would have.
Speaker 4: It would have benefited him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, his his own his own father in law said, if you bring your army to my land, I'm gonna shoot you, you know what I mean, like a like a rabbit. I mean, that's a that's talk about drawing some lines with your family, you know. But he was willing to do it because of what his personal convictions were. I think that's an honorable position. I didn't know much about Grant. You know, he kind of just he kind of just you know, blow by him in the history books a lot of times. And you know, I knew he was president, but but just seeing the things that would have made him a popular candidate to lead the country, you realize, oh, this guy had some some good stuff about him. And so I thought it was really I thought it was really really interesting just learning about him. I had great appreciation that, you know, he loved his wife. I mean he was he was really smitten with her. And it wasn't a I mean there had there had there had to have been something about her that he was drawn to, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And uh, and the fact.
Speaker 5: That he was so faithful to her, and and you know, they must have. I can't imagine what some of the conversations would have been like in their house with different you know, differing opinions on things. But he really valued her presence, you know what I mean. There's there's stories of him bringing her on the battlefield because he felt like he was better when she was there. You know, pretty interesting stuff.
Speaker 3: It's super interesting the thing with him and his wife, because in some ways, when when you're reading these books or when even I feel like when Louis talked about her, it was like they have a great relationship. This woman's a little bit crazy. Yeah, I mean that's kind of the way. That's what you feel. And when I'm listening to it, they kind of I don't know that the narrator feels a little bit demeaning to her in this in this book about Grant, and yet says things like the army, the company loved it when she was there, that she would come out and talk with him, spend a lot of time with the She brought up the absolute best in Grant. She you know, she kind of pushed him to greatness.
Speaker 1: Was it interesting how she had the dream? Yeah, in the eighteen fifties, when he is like kind of a loser. I mean, like had to drop out of the army basically because of his alcoholism. He's like selling firewood. His father in law and his father both just think, man, this guy, I wish he could just get his act together. And she has a dream. To me, it's always interesting in this historically how this stuff comes up. The dream is relayed to history by one of the slave women that Julia told the story to. Just think that's interesting because she was interviewed later. You know, she lived a long life and was owned by the Grants, and so she was interviewed and she was like, I remember when Julia had a dream that Ulysses was going to be president, and she just she just always saw this greatness in it.
Speaker 5: And Julia Julia was pretty attracted to till Us Grant as well. I mean she was pretty impressed with his horsemanship and his what did your graceful form?
Speaker 1: And so on the audio we keep talking about this audiobook, we took up who the author was about. Yeah, yeah, Julie at one point said, what is.
Speaker 5: She's a quote of her that she she enjoyed his graceful form in the saddle.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's like pulling up with the t bird.
Speaker 1: Listened to that and it said she commented on his graceful form in the I paused it, and I said, misty, this is what a man was in the mule saddle, and the.
Speaker 4: Bear grease overall is on the saddle.
Speaker 3: I was literally sleeping.
Speaker 1: We were coming back from saddle sits. You a little different on the animal too, all right, So.
Speaker 3: We were coming back from the Presidential Museum and I wake up to these two cackling. It made me replay it.
Speaker 4: He's like, go back to you.
Speaker 1: This is the way a woman don't on him. Don't you see that? This is what made him great? And immediately went home and got on a bulldozer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, same thing, I mean similar, Yes, graceful form in the dozer.
Speaker 1: I thought it was super interesting. Their relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think their relationship is interesting, and I think the way she's portrayed is kind of interesting. Like I think she was a little bit like her own her own memoirs. She didn't hurt help herself there, you know, the way she portrayed slavery and the way like just you could tell she kind of has she's a rose colored glasses type of she sees.
Speaker 1: This way she went nineties in her memoir Brent, this is the one little data point that's hard to get around, and it's hard to judge somebody based upon one thing. But basically she said this, this this little enslaved girl that grew up with her and they were just best of friends. According to her, when when the emancipation proclamation came, the girl left and she couldn't understand why the girl left. We said, well, we said that on the episode, did well she in eighteen nineties, she said that, Yeah, it wasn't like in eighteen sixty six. Right like thirty years later, she's like, I don't understand why she left. I mean, it just shows you a lack of awareness, just a little bit of lack of awareness, or maybe a lot of lack of awareness.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's kind of hard to get around that. And then so I think that's part of why people perceiver the way they do. But and and because there's no doubt about it. In these biographies, she is not treated with the same respect that Grant is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't want to.
Speaker 2: Take him a year to realize he was doing something wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I like the horsemanship stuff. Yeah, it's just it's it to me that was cool that he was such a good horseman. The best story of his horsemanship there, there's there's, it's peppered all through the Grant world is how good he was on a horse. The one time that it really stood out was he was on his horse and there was a battle and they were getting away on a on a river boat and all the men he was the last one on the boat, which says something. But all the men had got on the boat and they're like getting shot at, like like bullets are flying over their head. And he's on his horse and there's a single plank going onto this boat, and he takes his thoroughbred horse and walks it across a single plank. And the implication was it was you know, he says.
Speaker 4: A lot about the horse. Yeah, and Grant.
Speaker 5: Grant was good at picking them.
Speaker 1: So he takes the horse across this single plank and jumps it into the boat, and you know, all the guys are watching and they're like, wow, what a horseman. And I can tell you that when Grant says it's.
Speaker 7: Couldn't get slow trapped to do that.
Speaker 1: Buddy, you'd have been You would have been a Confederate.
Speaker 4: Camp.
Speaker 3: And there's there's another story about him in the Mexican American War where they needed to get something, uh, really close to the lines and he rides his horse and he basically comes off the saddle and turns his body sideways and uses the poor horse as a shield as he and he gets really close to enemy fire and he gets through and he gets to the gets his message across. But yeah, I think he was. He was really an impressive horseman. And I thought the story. You know, there's parts of that story about him negotiating for the horse where and you told, yeah, you told that, But I just think it's he actually when he was a general in the army, he he was like embarrassed about it. Still, he brought it up as a general in the army and was like, well, like, we're not we're not projecting that on him. When he went into some room, he was like, well, but there was that one time that I when he was like eleven years old and he didn't negotia for the horse. He told the guy it was such a point of humiliation. You could tell, you know, his whole life, he's someone that's kind of plagued by these failures and this embarrassment, and he's got this overpowering dad who's just a lot to handle and a lot to grow up with, and he can't ever meet those expectations. And then he just fails and fails and fails. And if you look at if you look at kind of the journey of his life, you see that as actually serendipitous that all those failings happen. He wouldn't have gotten to where he was, and we wouldn't have the outcome. I don't think if you didn't have a Ulysses, says Grant, the other generals were just so leary of so leary of their own ambition and their.
Speaker 1: Own they were stifled by their fear of messing up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's probably the biggest thing that I learned from Grant, is that all these other generals that had political ambitions, that had just ambitions to just be great, and all of a sudden they're leading these big armies during this time when this is the way you became great, this is my one shot, and they were crippled by fear. Grant comes in there selling firewood on the streets of Galena, like he's there to try to just like he just wants to make a living. At one time, he says, they asked him about his political ambition, and he says, you know, I'd like to be the mayor of Galena for at least a long enough time to fix the sidewalk to my house. Like that was his that was his political ambition. And he gets in there and he's like, I don't care what people think of me in the future. We just have to win.
Speaker 4: Now for mayor.
Speaker 2: You get voted mayor, and you fix the road coming to your house, you get you get a risk exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I think that's so huge. Yeah, I mean, fear of failure just just brings down your ability to produce so much. And if if you've got if, you've got nothing to lose.
Speaker 3: And I think he had failed. I mean he was at the bottom for a decade, you know, he had. It's hard to fear fear something you've already gone through an experience.
Speaker 2: It's like playing that prevent defense and you're ahead at the end of the game. You're playing that prevent defense, it usually prevents you from winning the ball game.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 4: That's what those cats were doing. Mm hmmm mm hmm, play.
Speaker 1: It safe, play it safe. Yeah. Yeah, they were playing it safe and they couldn't win.
Speaker 3: And that's part of why he got a reputation for being like they called him the butcher, you know, because he was so aggressive that a lot of people perceived that needless lives were lost.
Speaker 1: And well, and there's just so many different little things coming into this. This was during a time when the chivalry was still a big part of war. So like, if you had your enemy pinned up against the wall, you might be like, Okay, let's come to terms of agreement before I send in the bayonets to like kill every one of you. Yeah, And and that he just saw that that there was no way forward with with that kind of action. And so yeah, that's where a lot of people were like, this guy is a maniac.
Speaker 5: But I feel like that's not that's not consistent. Like I don't feel like you could you could validate that based on his time in the Mexican American War when he talked about it being an unjust war, you know what I mean, he his involvement and that was almost you could tell he regretted it because he said it was so unjust. So I think his motivations during the Civil War were like, we have to get the Union back together, and this is what I see as necessary to get the Union back.
Speaker 1: Together, right, yeah, and that that became his like pathway to peace, was like, we have to have to win destroy the South, right, you know, And I mean he probably wasn't wrong, you know, but there were other options. That's what when you really get into this, you realize that there could have been like some compromise. I mean that that would have been a possible version of the story, was that there's some compromise and they're like, well, you know, you can keep slaves in this section, or maybe you keep them from twenty years and then they've got to be it's totally gone. I mean, there's a lot of different versions. But finally Lincoln and all these guys were like, no, we gotta we got to crush this now. The you know, ending slavery becomes the focal point of the war, which we learned in the last episode keeps out European countries from coming in. Just so much wild stuff. I was going to say, though, Grant his failure really helped him to be empathetic towards people that he would beat, even though he was not the guy you wanted to be in a battle against, because he was gonna, he was gonna do whatever it took. He was the guy you kind of wanted to surrender to. Yeah, I mean in a way, he was quite generous and empathetic with people. Over and over, like when they would surrender, he would be like he was arms, keep your.
Speaker 3: Horses, Yeah, but required total surrender.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: I mean that, like there's a lot of stories about him negotiating and people being shocked that he wouldn't be more like compromising in the and he would just say, no, no, we're only gonna there's there's no terms except for total surrender. So generous, but he was. He was the one. I think that the thing about Grant is that he was the the strategy. His strategy worked, and his strategy was, you know, choke him at every single point, choke you know. And so he he commissioned Shridan and he commissioned Sherman. Those two were fighting at different different locations, and up until that point it was almost like there multiple wars going on. But he was the one that brought everything into synchrony so that you could really choke off the I mean that that's and that's what worked, is that every they fought all the battles at the same time on the front and cut the supply line to the Confederacy. And also you know, held held Lee where he was, you know, held him on the defensive, and that that ultimately won the war. So he was yes, generous once you surrendered, but accepted nothing less than total surrender.
Speaker 1: That's true. Well, I don't know how we could have this episode without talking about the Dukes of Hazzard. I brought him.
Speaker 5: A pivotal part of my childhood.
Speaker 3: Give us a part of the podcast. When Clay sang the entire theme song, I thought.
Speaker 1: Ye, did I really do that?
Speaker 3: You take a bunch of it? Not the entire theme song?
Speaker 1: Just a good old boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got that, we heard that, we can.
Speaker 1: I never really thought about it from the from the perspective of the of the lost cause, but the Duke's hazard kinda it's like the story just a good old boys, never meaning no harm beats all you ever saw, been in trouble with the law since the day they were born.
Speaker 5: Rev Roads with you in the s ten pickup not circing nineteen Circle two thousand listening to that song.
Speaker 1: I mean they're driving a nineteen sixty nine orange Dodge charger called the Generally with a rebel flag on the top of it.
Speaker 3: And when Bear Newcombe was born, we lived in a house right across from the local school district, and some teenager had that exact same had made a replication Generally added Generally that also when you honk the horn, it would play Dixie. That's your lifetime, but anymore.
Speaker 7: I've seen one in the last like seven years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's a whole nother story and a whole nother podcast, like The Generally and The Dukes of Hazard and all that, Like never.
Speaker 3: Did you have one? Josh? Oh yeah, my brothers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Steve Vanella had him shirt in Michigan. How old were you during Duke's Hazard days? That's probably your prime?
Speaker 4: Seventy nine is that what it was? Yeah? Thirteen?
Speaker 2: Oh man, that was worth the prime everything. I think it came on Friday, I can't remember, but oh yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: I watched every episode.
Speaker 4: I love that show.
Speaker 2: But I liked Whaling Jennings long before I ever liked The Dukes of Hazzard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I got you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a cool show. I liked it. Yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it it. It's complicated now because.
Speaker 2: People make it complicated. You can make anything complicated. I didn't see any hatred or anybody on that.
Speaker 4: Show except Crooked Crooked police boss Hog. Nobody liked him.
Speaker 5: And Roscoe well, even Roscoe had a few Yeah, he had some endearing qualities.
Speaker 4: Yet Boss Hogg, though he was bad.
Speaker 1: That if you could gauge American entertainment, there would not be another show that was like had the cool factor.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 1: If I'm as the Dukes of Hazard period for a Southern boy, I'm just telling. I'm just telling the way I see it. I'm not trying to just the way I see it. I mean it was and and and it was also during a time and there weren't many options.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 5: I remember watching the Dukes of Hazard, but I don't remember my parents.
Speaker 4: Watching the Dukes Hassard it.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody remembers their parents watching it.
Speaker 3: I remember my parents watching like Beverly Hillbillies and Andy Griffith. Mm hmmm, so I mean they.
Speaker 5: Watched it was Yeah, I'm just I'm just trying to think of my mom My, mom wouldn't have watched that. She wouldn't have liked it, and I don't maybe it was the type of television show it was. My mom was a little more into Magnum p I. Yeah, for obvious reasons. Yeah, and Harry chested Ustachio. Yeah, but yeah, it was definitely targeted toward that thirteen age demographic.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I can't. I'm not endorsing the show completely. I mean, I'm not endorsing the show. I'm not I'm not saying it was good or b. I don't go back and watch reruns. I don't like it didn't come up until like this, So it's not like you understand what I'm saying. Yeah, I'm just saying at the time the show was compelling. Yeah, but yeah, I mean and you know, yeah, they're parts of the show that.
Speaker 2: They were single handedly responsible for, like that model Charger disappearing from the planet.
Speaker 5: Yes, everybody wanted for real, No, I mean they them Yeah. Yeah, there were like three or four hundred of them. They went through you, Yes, because every time they would jump one, it was.
Speaker 1: Done done so and they jumped them every every times. Yeah, go around the corner.
Speaker 4: I like it when the tires would squeal on gravel. Exactly.
Speaker 2: It was as dumb as me or getting a skateboard from my twelfth birthday.
Speaker 3: And living on a dirt road.
Speaker 1: Dirt road, you had a skateboard.
Speaker 2: I rode it from here to the door on the car port. That's all the concrete we had. Yeah, so I was Tony Hawk for like ten feet eight.
Speaker 3: Maybe people don't realize how impractical dirt roads really are for for leisure. You know, gol to ride a bicycle on a dirt road.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I loved it because you could lock up them brakes and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure if that's And if you live on a dirt road, you also have to take the trash out like half a mile.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 3: I remember telling someone we were we were talking about trash. We were talking at work about like something about the trash. I was like, well, yeah, it's kind of a big deal around our house because if you leave it on the porch, raccoon's getting it. And if you you know, that means that whenever that like, it's the worst possible chorge to give one of our kids.
Speaker 5: Because I was I was eighteen, we had to drive our trash into town.
Speaker 4: We had a burning brow. Yeah, burned our trash.
Speaker 2: And then when that what wouldn't burn got that, that fifty five gallon barrel filled up to it and the old creek down there started over.
Speaker 4: Those were the good old days.
Speaker 6: It was a gully like behind them. Okay, I got the train, but it's eventually going to.
Speaker 4: The water exactly.
Speaker 5: That's what happened back in the day.
Speaker 4: That's what everybody was doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, we better wrap this up and get to a watermelon sale.
Speaker 1: Which is by the time this comes out will have already happened.
Speaker 5: We'll be rich.
Speaker 1: Hey today, today is this is the day that we are going to sell those watermelons that you've heard so much about. And uh, well maybe you haven't, but we're selling watermelons. And this is part of my lifelong dream fulfilled.
Speaker 3: It's huge for Clay. I mean, like this is this is probably bigger than if Clay were given an opportunity to perform on the stage of the Grand Ole Opery or sell watermelons on the side of the road. I think it would be a toss up for him.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I have played with Evan Felker. The term part heard today, Boy, I was walking around Nashville this week and I was seeing these guys playing at like ten am in these little cafes, laughing at them, and I went up and just tapped when I'm on the boot. When I walked byes up on the stage and I'd be like, hey, man, I'm hoping for I was with Evan Felker. I played little music with him, winked.
Speaker 2: S he actually Evan actually opened for us.
Speaker 4: I remind you of that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, watermelons will be high on that list. And these are good watermelons from Brent's buddy and Cabot lay Yeah, layed high goy. He's got an incredible thing going down there.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: He is so good and he's such a good person too. He's just he's just a great guy, a great family, his son, and I know them all and they're just they're just good, hard working folks man.
Speaker 4: And they are in watermelons.
Speaker 1: He's called the Cabot Patch, a Cabot Patch.
Speaker 4: It's on Highway eighty nine in Cabin Cabot, Arkansas.
Speaker 1: And it's a they sell beaches and watermelons and BlackBerry.
Speaker 4: And you can find him on He's got his Facebook page.
Speaker 1: The Cabin patch, but he and he grows.
Speaker 4: I g yeah, he grows all of himself on his grandmother's land. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Very cool.
Speaker 4: Wow, yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah the watermelons. I mean, I said it and I'm in it too.
Speaker 4: I know how you likes. Son.
Speaker 1: The watermelon I had yesterday, that sweet gem like a black diamond, dark watermelon. It was as good a melon as I've ever had.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 1: It was just right now. We are probably the peak of the season, but uh yeah, we're going to be selling them today here in West Fork.
Speaker 4: Yep, we got we got to go back in time.
Speaker 1: For the load of watermelons. So all right, thank you, goy, Brent, thanks for coming up, mister, thanks for being the Covis hot seat.
Speaker 3: Always good to be here.
Speaker 1: God see you nice nice coveralls, Thank you overalls. Thank you keep the wild place as well, because that's where there's stuff, right
Speaker 3: M