Speaker 1: Pushkin. I'm Jacob Goldstein, and this is What's Your Problem. My guest today is Kate Evans. Kate is a professor in the Department of Horticulture at Washington State University, and her problem is this, how do you invent a new kind of apple? How do you invent an apple that grows reliably, that stores well, that can handle warming temperatures, and that, by the way, also taste delicious and looks pretty. Sitting there on the shelf at the grocery store with her team, Kate has in fact invented a new kind of apple. It's called the Sunflair and it is coming relatively soon to a store near you. This is the second apple she helped to invent in Washington. The first was the ambitiously named Cosmic Crisp Apple, which went on sale in twenty nineteen. And you Know What's Your Problem is basically a show about innovation, about technological innovation. And I talk to people figuring out new ways to generate energy and treat disease and use AI and do all these classic things that we think of when we think of innovation and technology. But innovation is not just in these kinds of obvious tech driven things. It is in more or less everything, and it's delightful and illuminating to learn about how innovation works with something as ubiquitous and old fashioned as an apple, a piece of fruit. As it happens. Over the past several decades, there has, in fact been an incredible amount of innovation in apples, and if you're an apple leader of a certain age, like I am, you have observed this innovation. And so to start, asked Kate, why the apples you get at the grocery store are so much better now than they were when I was a child. So I want to actually start before the stuff you've worked on, just for a minute, just to get the context, because I'm old enough to remember when there were three kinds of apples, at least in the grocery store in the suburbs of San Diego where I grew up. There were Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, and Granny Smith. And I didn't like any of them. Granny Smith were crispy but too sour, at least for a kid to tart. And then Red Delicious and Golden Delicious were not delicious. They were bad. They're really sorry Red Delicious, but it's true today there's a million kinds of apples and a lot of them are delicious. What changed.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, first of all, I have to ask it depends how old you are.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm fifty. I mean in my early fifties, in my early fifties, fair question.
Speaker 2: So a couple of things, you know, as far as the food supply chain management is concerned, that's one thing. So refrigeration technology and being able to better store fruit so that the consumer gets a better eating quality. I'd argue that you probably would get a better quality piece of red Delicious, gold and Delicious and Granny Smith these days as well. Yes, But from a plant breeder perspective, which is obviously my whole deal close to my heart, we plant breeders have done our thing, and yeah, we've bred and released a whole load of new, improved varieties.
Speaker 1: I mean that's the fact. But like, why did it happen? Like was there a breakout moment? Was there one apple where everybody's like, oh wow, we could make lots of different apples, or like, what happened? Why did it happen when it did?
Speaker 2: I think in the US it happened with a shift in technologies of production And what really changed a lot of US production was bringing in dwarfing rootstocks for apple, which means that you could grow a lower vigo tree. That meant that there were a lot of orchidice, particularly over here in Washington, where the bulk of the production in the US comes from a lot of orchardice, who were interested in trying a few different varieties.
Speaker 1: The dwarf thing. Does it lower the risk for the grower? Is that why it's meaningful? It's like, well, you can just try a little one and it's not so risky. You're like, why is that meaningful?
Speaker 2: Good question. A new variety means you've got to establish a new orchard block. For a grower to invest and plant a new block, that's a pretty big investment. And so with the onset of dwarfing rootstocks, there was a change. Growers were moving forward and establishing new blocks and there's that time point, well why not try a new variety as well?
Speaker 1: Huh. The one for me that was the big shift was the Fuji. That was the first time where I was like, oh, there's a kind of apple that I love and it's reliable, right, Like part of the thing with Red Delicious, it's the same problem I have with nectarines and peaches. You just don't know if it's going to be good. And like a fuji, as long as it's not like bruised, it's pretty much always good and it always tastes the same and it's always crispy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and that I think that's one of the I'm glad you brought that up, really, because that's one of the focuses that I have in my program is to have a consistent eating quality of new varieties that come through. And that means we do a massive amount of evaluation at different storage points through the season, so that piece of fruit for you as a consumer, tastes great whenever you buy it.
Speaker 1: Right, So the qualities you need in an apple are not just it's delicious when you pick it. Are the apples that are just like incredible when you pick them, but they don't ship, they don't store, and so I'm never going to taste one unless they happen to randomly walk by some tree.
Speaker 2: Yes, those are the ones that break our hearts as because we you know, they're the selections that they're out there as seeding apples and they're phenomenal and you think, oh my goodness, this just tastes wonderful, But two weeks later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So let's talk about the Sunflair TM apple. First of all, I want to mention that when you wrote to us about it, we had some questions and you wrote back to Gabriella, producer of the show, you put the little TM above the word Sunflair every time. So I'm sure the lawyers there will be will be happy to hear that. Why do you put the little TM every time you write the word sunflair?
Speaker 2: Well, because the name is a brand name. Yeah, and most modern apples have a brand name associated with them. So like any piece of like any invention, I mean, a new apple variety is an invention. We patent it in this country, but a patent only has a certain amount of life, and to establish a new apple variety and get it out into production and for it to re making an impact in production takes most of that patent life. And so if you want to kind of reap any benefits from the intellectual property and have any way of controlling where that apple has grown, how it's grown, how it's marketed, etc. Establishing a trademark brand name is really important because that's the thing that you can keep indefinitely.
Speaker 1: Yes, A patent is what twenty years at this point, yes, ish yeah, but a trademark is forever.
Speaker 2: As long as we use it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as long as that's why you're putting the little TM on it, right right. Tell me about the Sunflair Apple. What's it like?
Speaker 2: So it is a unique yellow with a pink blush appearance apple. So I think as a consumer you'd be able to see it and recognize it on the on the shelf in the supermarket, which is important.
Speaker 1: Interesting, it's like it's like a package. It's the packaging.
Speaker 2: Well it is, yeah, because you know you want to know that's the one I like, and that's the one I'm going back to buy it again, right. And then it has a sweet teart balance with a fairly firm crisp texture, so a firmer texture than cosmic crisp, but still crisp.
Speaker 1: Okay is firm, not crisp is firm, different than crisp. I don't think I have the language to distinguish.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm not a sensory scientist. Yeah. I think there is something to do with the bite and the way that the flesh sounds awful. The way the flesh ruptures when you sink your teeth into it is a crisp thing, and then what is ferm, and then firm is how you chew it through your molars, And that's.
Speaker 1: Sort of interesting.
Speaker 2: The work that you're putting into something.
Speaker 1: The firmer it is, like, the more you gotta chew curt Yes, okay, interesting, Okay, tell me more of what it's like. I mean, I guess it's a cross between a crisp pink and a honey crisp. So like I've eaten both of those apples.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say that honey crisp tends to you taste it as being sweeter and less tart. Crips pink you probably have more tart, you know when you're tasting that. Some flare is somewhere between the two. And also in terms of texture, so honey crisp is an ultra crisp, but not as ferm. It's a slightly softer apple in terms of firmness, whereas crips pink is less crisp but firmer, and so sunfloir actually sits somewhere in the middle. I would say it probably is a little more like crips pink than like honey crisp.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the Sunflair is just coming out now, right, correct?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 1: When am I going to be able to eat one?
Speaker 2: Probably not until twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So that means the trees are out there growing in the orchards.
Speaker 2: The first trees were planted I think last week commanded.
Speaker 1: Okay, congratulations, have us to be a very exciting moment free, Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what was the problem you were setting out to solve when you set out to create the Sunflair.
Speaker 2: The main thing that we focus on is not so much a particular problem, but it is producing a variety that eats fabulously for a consumer, So something that consumers are going to want to eat, but also something that works in our production system out here in Washington and works for that supply Chaine. So it's particularly in terms of how the fruit stores in refrigeration, so it maintains its quality through storage, gives you a great eating experience all year round.
Speaker 1: Is there a particular apple that you feel like Sunflair is gonna eat its lunch if I might?
Speaker 2: No, you know, no, I can't. No, really it's never a case of targeting a specific apple, but what often happens is that there will be the quality attributes of that apple. So consumers of a particular apple might find that they like the sunflair better than other things. Sure, but also it has to fit in with how the grower produces fruit, and usually that is when the fruit harvests. So the grower has a portfolio varieties that harvest at different time points through the season so they can maintain a picking crew. So it might be that it sort of knocks something off that portfolio varieties at the grower.
Speaker 1: Already the back end, it's a back end thing as opposed to a sort of front end thing. Yeah, what you're talking about like all these different dimensions that you're you know, trying to optimize more or less, and obviously there's a million trade offs. But in just list off some of the dimensions, like whatever they are, crispiness, when they bloom, how they store whatever, It is just a list.
Speaker 2: Right, So from a quality perspective, firmness, cristness, juiciness, sweetness, tartness. On top of that, you have aroma that's just eating. So then appearance, you've got size, shape, color, color combinations, skin finish. Then, yeah, as far as the tree is concerned, when it blooms, how much fruit does it set each cluster? Does it drop fruit? How easy is the fruit to pick some apples and more bizarrely more difficult to harvest than others. And then how well does it store? So does the fruit rot? Does the fruit have disorders that appear in cold storage or along the supply chain. There can be so many different things that impact it.
Speaker 1: So tell me the story of the sunflair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it started back in nineteen ninety eight with a cross combination between the honey crisp and the crips pink. They were its two parents. So that means pollen from crips pink dusting onto flowers of honey crisp. Okay, then that's spring nineteen ninety eight, right, and then waiting for that honey crisp tree to produce its fruit, harvesting that, collecting all the seeds.
Speaker 1: And let me ask a question. Is every honey crisp different than every other honey crisp or they genetically uniform?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're genetically uniform, Okay.
Speaker 1: But presumably every cross of them is going to be different right, just the way if you had two human beings and they had a thousand children, every child would be different. Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So when you're crossing them, are you just doing it like a bee or is it are you picking particular genes from each parent that you want or you're just saying make a baby trees.
Speaker 2: It would be fantastic if we were, if our science was precise enough to say this is my one apple target and I want it to be exactly this. We are not at that point in terms of the science behind apple breeding.
Speaker 1: I mean, can you sort of map certain genes to certain traits?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and we have. I mean, we have certainly got more of an idea of the apple genome than you know, twenty thirty years ago. Things have progressed and there are ways that we can select for certain combinations of those genes, but we just do not know enough about which of those genes we really want to have in each combination.
Speaker 1: Well, and you could imagine. I mean, one of the interesting things in you know, following the arc of the understanding of the human genome is how much is polygenic and how complex it is. And it's not like one gene goes to one trait, right, you could imagine one gene having many different effects and those effects being different with respect to other changing genes. I mean, is that what you are finding for apples as well?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, And in fact, there's so much similarity between the sort of the diversity of human genetics and apple it's it's a little bizarre we often use humans.
Speaker 1: What percent are we apple?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What percent of the apple?
Speaker 2: Oh that I really don't know.
Speaker 1: I bet it's a lot, right, I bet it's a lot.
Speaker 2: Probably probably, you know. I think you're right. There's an awful lot of the traits that we were interested in that are apologenic, and so the single genes we've we've sort of locked in quite a lot. Now we understand more about some of those, but of course the things that we're very interested in tend to be pologenic and therefore much more difficult to kind of play around with and really make a fast progress.
Speaker 1: So you're still like Gregor Mendel, just take this one trio, this other tree and see what happens. We'll be back in just a minute. So, okay, so it's nineteen ninety eight. I know you weren't there yet so your predecessor is breeding crispink and honey crisp, which at that level, it's like, sure, those are two good apples, and are they doing just to order of magnitude thousands of those trees and each one is different or hundreds or tens of thousands, Like how many actual trees are they growing that are that cross?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that that depends. You know, usually it's somewhere somewhere in the around one thousand, five hundred to one thousand, sometimes two thousand, usually not more than that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you get a thousand ish trees and then you gotta wait for them to grow up and make apples, very old fashioned, very physical analog. Yeah, yeah, how long does that take?
Speaker 2: Somewhere around about six years five six years before we start to see free.
Speaker 1: So then in whatever, the early two thousands, you get the first apples coming off of this thousand or so crips pink plus honeycrisp trees and then.
Speaker 2: What so then that that's where the breeder, you know, our job is to evaluate and select. So that is a case of just walking up and down those seedling rows, seeing what catches your eye from an appearance perspective, and then if it looks like it's ready to eat, pick an apple and take a bite.
Speaker 1: So it's really that, No, you're actually walking through the trees picking an apple and taking a BikeE.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then spitting yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you like have some standardized criteria, you have.
Speaker 2: A palette that's been trained for many years.
Speaker 1: It's just I like it or I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Is it really that it's having that understanding of what is partently acceptable and what is not.
Speaker 1: Then what happens how many yeses you get out of that thousand little trees totally depends.
Speaker 2: It depends on what the parents are, you know, and I don't know the numbers specifically for that cross combination. But once we've if something is a yes, then it's a case of just harvesting a sample of that fruit, bringing it back in, putting it in the cold store for a couple of months, and then evaluating it. Because if it doesn't hold up for two months in a refrigerated cooler, then it's not going to make it as far as this industry is concerned.
Speaker 1: So you do yourr does its store test, and then what.
Speaker 2: Well, and then you know, we want to look at it again the following year to see if it's because you know, season to season things vary. So one we decide that it is, you know, it's maybe had a couple of years of good fruit quality on that individual seedling tree, then we propagate more trees, make a whole new tree that is a clonal copy, and we can do that for as many buds as there are in the tree, and often you know what we do. Why it takes a long time is because we are looking for something that is robust. Ye, and without having multiple years worth of evaluation of fruit off that tree, you can't really make a sort of a call on it to say, yeah, I'm confident that this one is robust enough to be able to move forward.
Speaker 1: So it has to be robust, not just in the sense of you can put the apples in the fridge for a couple months, whatever, in storage for a couple months. It has to be robust in the sense that the tree can deal with some variance in terms of weather and pests and whatever.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, And we have to have enough copies of the tree to produce bins worth of fruit, not just our single tree, you know, small sample of fruit, because we want to do a lot more refrigeration storage tests. We want to be able to see does that fruit store for six months? Will it store for nine months? And of course every time you evaluate the fruit it's destructive. You know, you can't you can't test the same apple numerous times because you've cut it up.
Speaker 1: How long does an apple got a store to be commercially viable?
Speaker 2: What I look for is something that would be storable. It will store well for the full year, so that it will have a space on the supermarket shelf for twelve months and consumers can just continue to buy it all year round.
Speaker 1: Like a gallon of milk. You just walk in and it's there, and it's always the same. Yeah, well, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, this is what always amazes me is that our consumers really have this sort of detachment from from the production of their food. They're not necessarily understanding that our apples are only harvested once a year that they want to eat them for twelve months.
Speaker 1: So we're testing them out and amazingly you get to the point where you say, can we store it for a year, And the answer is yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: So there was a story in the New York Times about this apple that talked about it as sort of optimized for climate change or you know, adapted to work better in a warmer climate in Washington. Is that part of the calculus for this apple?
Speaker 2: It certainly is bread and selected for the Washington climate. It is bread and selected for the Washington climate now, which in itself is quite a different production climate to everywhere else that grows apples in the world.
Speaker 1: How has the climate changed the way the apple business in Washington works over the past several decades.
Speaker 2: I think that we're seeing we're seeing more impact of extreme heat in the summer. So we're definitely apples get sunburn.
Speaker 1: Does the sunflair handle heat better than older varieties?
Speaker 2: It's well. One thing that we would one thing that we measure very specifically is just how much of the fruit from the orchard would get through the supply chain to the hands of the consumer. And it will. It's called its pack out or its grade out, and that yeah, it certainly has got a very it's leaving very little fruit in the orchard. That fails for varying different things, sunburn being one of those.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the next apple you're going to make?
Speaker 2: Oh after Sunflair? I am not one hundred percent sure. I know what I would like it to be, but I'm not sure whether or not it would have what we call a fatal floor. That's that sort of of that one problem that's going to stop it from being able to go out big time.
Speaker 1: That's what makes it a tragic apple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it might be a big tragedy, and we're looking at evaluating it just a bit further to make sure that it's good.
Speaker 1: How has technology changed your work? I mean, you've been doing it for twenty years ish, We've got AI We know a lot more about genetics than we knew twenty years ago. Like, how has your work changed or the way you do your job even changed from when you started.
Speaker 2: I think in terms of just developing that the molecular side of the technology to get us to a point where we do understand more about the genetic or genomic control of particular characteristics. And so for example, you know, right now we're doing a whole load of work looking at trying to understand why some apple varieties are more susceptible to sunburn than others, and really trying to see which genes are expressed. Is there is there something that we can pick up that would enable us to develop a tool for earlier selection for those characteristics.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine in your you know, in your career, getting to a point where you can look at a genome and know what kind of apple it's going to make, and how it stores and how it tastes.
Speaker 2: When I started about thirty something years ago, that's what I envisaged, But I'm not seeing I mean, you know, I'm pushing sixty. Will I have this in my career? I don't know. I think that I'm more aware of the fact that the majority of things that we're interested in in apples are apologenic. The control is incredibly complex for a lot of these traits, and so to be able to say, just looking at the genome what it's going to do as an apple, I don't know that we'll get to that point within my working career.
Speaker 1: It's harder than you thought when you started.
Speaker 2: It, seriously, is Yes.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's been a big lesson of genetics for everybody, right, Like the Human Genome Project was like around the time when you were getting started, right, but it's like, great, now we know the genome, We're going to figure everything out it's like, oh no, actually it's super complicated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and all the easy stuff we did right at the beginning, and so it felt like we were making these great steps forward, and we certainly were. But you know, when you start thinking of the nuances of certainly the eating eggs of an apple, they are really complex.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in a minute with the lightning round. M hm, let's do a lightning round. Okay, what fruit do you eat for fun?
Speaker 2: Usually the bizarre grapes that I grow in my garden.
Speaker 1: Oh, tell me about your grapes.
Speaker 2: It's just a native plant has grapes that taste like blueberries.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's a grape that tastes like a blueberry. Does not seem like a thing to be dismissive about. It's like, it's like sort of an heirloom grape. Can I get one? They don't store well or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know enough about them?
Speaker 1: Such kind of you got there? Yeah? Yeah, What do you think is the most underrated fruit?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think pears? Sure, you know pears. Pears can be a phenomenal fruit. And I think that most consumers have never experienced a really great eating experience with a pear.
Speaker 1: I feel like pears for me, as a fruit lover, have a problem that is similar to the problem I have with stone fruit, which is it's hard to know what's going to be a good one. I could use some branded pears, actually, right, I could use the Fuji apple of pears. Why doesn't that exist?
Speaker 2: Well, partly, I mean, there certainly are many, many new varieties of pear.
Speaker 1: There's some pear breeder who's yelling at me right now, say they do exist. Well, what pear should I try?
Speaker 2: Well, there's a new pair that is being produced here in the state called Happy Happy Pair. Look for that. It will make you happy.
Speaker 1: Are you just saying that because you have to as a Washington state.
Speaker 2: No, it's nothing to do with Washington State, with WSU anyway. It certainly it's produced here. Yeah, that's certainly worth trying. I think a lot of the the challenge of getting a new pair variety out is that our pair production systems haven't modernized in the same way that our apple production systems have. And that gets down to the fact that there are not any really good dwarfing rootstocks for pair.
Speaker 1: Oh, so that key breakthrough that started the apple revolution hasn't come to pairs yet.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, and so it's it's a real challenge for pair growers to switch varieties.
Speaker 1: Because they got to grow a bunch of big, expensive trees, and that's a risk. What's the most overrated fruit?
Speaker 2: Oh? I kind of hate to say, but I would. I will anyway. I think a lot of our blueberries. I think our blueberries are improving, but I think that there is certainly quite a few on the market that are a little watery in my opinion, and don't have any flavor.
Speaker 1: I feel like blueberries are one where I still notice the seasonality. I live in New York, and certainly in the price you notice it, Like in there's some moment when they harvest the blueberries in New Jersey and you can basically get blueberries for free in New York, Like every corner store has them spilling out the door, and they're good. Are they way better? I don't know, They're way cheaper. That's what I noticed. Was there some particular apple that was incredible to eat that just had a tragic flaw wouldn't work you know commercially that you still remember, Oh, there's always a few. Tell me about one. Tell me about one incredible apple that had a tragic flow.
Speaker 2: Just you know, a beautiful, really striking, red blushed apple, ultra crisp, really tasty off the tree, super juicy, all the things that you really want in an apple, but you know, two weeks later it seriously isn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you could cross any two fruits and don't worry about scientific plausibility, just dream big. What would they be?
Speaker 2: Oh? Good question. I would like I love cherry flavor. I like a really dark, dark red cherry. I think that's a phenomenal flavor. I would like to see that combined with ultra crisp apple texture.
Speaker 1: Wow, so it would be like kind of an apple that tastes like a red cherry. Right? Interesting?
Speaker 2: Sound good?
Speaker 1: It does sound good. I'm gonna tell you mine. It's sillier, but I still want it. It's it's the shape of a of a clementine, you know, a little citrus that's easy to peal. But when you peel it, what's inside is watermelon. Oh yeah, I love watermelon, but it's hard to prepare. Like it's a it's big. It's awkward. Hit the big knife and the big cutting board. Avocados and tomatoes Are they fruits? Yes, damn it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was lovely to talk with you. Congratulations on inventing an apple.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Kate Evans is a professor in the Department of Horticulture at Washington State University and she's a breeder of apples and pears. Today's show was produced by Gabriel Hunter Chang and edited by Lydia Jane Kott. Our engineer this week was Hansdale. She we're always looking for ideas for who to talk to and what to cover on the show. You can email us at problem at Pushkin dot fm. You can find me on x at Jacob Goldstein. You can find me on LinkedIn. I'm Jacob Goldstein. Thank you very much for listening to the show, and we'll be back next week with another episode.