Speaker 1: Welcome into the game plan.
Speaker 2: We sit with head coach Dan Quinn and give a midseason review and talk about this young developing team.
Speaker 3: Brian, you and I talked about impact players from the first time of the season, and.
Speaker 2: Then we get our ticket to a successful season.
Speaker 1: To end the show, all that and more on the game plan.
Speaker 2: Welcoming in head coach Dan Quinn.
Speaker 1: Coach.
Speaker 2: At this point, we are seven and four heading into a ten day stretch before we play the Dallas Cowboys. What is your message to the team right now to finish the end of the season strong.
Speaker 4: Well, a lot, And the first part is there's a two week block you know coming ahead that we have two home games, but that's the block, and then there's a buy and so all it is is for this two weeks and about our skills and how do we improve and constantly chasing that and being relentless about it.
Speaker 1: That's where it starts.
Speaker 4: So it's out on the practice field getting somebody reps in that spot.
Speaker 1: And if we get to that spot, I.
Speaker 4: Want to make sure over these two weeks, man, we can level up again, and so that would be the goal, and then we'll take the break to get ready to reset. For the last part, but first part two weeks like real improvement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like one of the things about being a coach, you jowys you I think about schedule, so kind of how do you leverage this kind of mini buy and then kind of use that second by to like I don't know, trampling yourself spring yourself into the last half of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're on the right track.
Speaker 4: That's my mindset as opposed to this one is light in the next two weeks then into a buy. You don't want your skills to not have the work, so you've got to get your skill work in this week and next week to sharpen up. Then you can go get the break. But I don't want to go into it where you're limiting your skill work and your practice. So you really have to put it in this week. And that's the spot that we can get to having a couple extra days to get healthy into Monday and Tuesday of next week.
Speaker 2: That's a big deal and so we'll take advantage of that. Coach is always room for improvement. However, this season has felt very very special. Would have been some bright spots in your opinion on this season?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think even.
Speaker 4: Before the bright spots, there's a couple of things that you want to make sure at these games when you have the last two have been hard and you'd love for your team to go through it all and you know, just keep into this space where everything's going, but that's that's not how it is, and so you know that the adversity is coming. I'd love to say you can learn it without having to go through it, but with our first time going through it, you do have to to, you know, go through them, and it sucks, but you also gain a lot from it, and there's some hardness that you gain, there's some closing mentality that you can gain, but you do have to go through it. You don't become a tough person unless you go through these tough spots, and so this team is tough, but losing those ones here at the end, you know, so to speak, has been hard on us. But there's also we're going to come out the other side of it stronger and better and tougher for you know, fights that end up like that, and so that's something that I know is coming. What I've been pleased by. Offensively, we've done a really good job of taking care of the ball. That's been something that's going to be something we'll talk about today and ten years from today. It's about just how we do business together. Defensively, I'm starting to feel the energy of the hitting and the speed to go.
Speaker 1: If we can.
Speaker 4: Sustain that over the whole game, that's when we'll really be at our best. And then on the special team side, I love the way our guys cover and hit, and you know the return side is coming along too on some of the kickoffs with Austin. So there's a lot to be pumped about with the group. But in the short term, going through the tough ones, it sucks, but you do have to go through it a little bit to find out, Okay, I don't want that again. This is how I'm going to do it moving forward. And so a lot of things to look forward to as we get into this next two game block.
Speaker 3: And you talk about the toughness there, and I think one of the things that sticks out to me is like, it is hard. It's hard to lose games. It's hard to lose close games. How do you and get the team make sure that you do take a positive turn Because you know you've coached teams and I've been a part of teams where they don't they're not built the right way. It feels like this is built the right way. How do you make sure that it is?
Speaker 4: You want to make sure you're consistent in your approach to them on the best of days and the toughest of days. And if you're into that spot where I'm always going to be like today, you know, that's a roller coaster for anybody to have to deal with those emotions. I want the players always know like there's a consistency here. We're going to relentlessly chase getting better. We're going to learn the lessons that happened and that are meant for you in that game, and how do we apply them by working your skills at practice so when we get back into that spot, you're able to go deliver.
Speaker 1: So's it's a whole approach, really, Logan.
Speaker 4: As you're going through it doesn't mean you're always you know, Pollyanna and things are great, like you have to get to the you know, right to it and say, all right, how do we get this part better?
Speaker 1: And that's what we chase.
Speaker 3: Is there a moment where you learned that that became like the way to do things like a like as a young coach.
Speaker 1: Man, that's an awesome question.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I learned it in that way, logan, but I do know the experience tells you that somewhere along the line to say, man, you do grow from these tough experiences. When you're going through them, you don't like them, and it's like, man, but I guess I'm old enough now to know there is some good on the other side of those and I love you know, with our teammate runner and pick the next guy's picking them up, the next one's there. You know, their ability to fight for one another is big, and you do have to have the tough loss to know how to also keep gaining on the tough win. And it might be like a song, but there's some truth to it. Honest, it seems like Kenny Rodgers way. But my point is this, it sucks to go through it, but you do have to do that to become the team you want to be in these tough moments. And so this team's getting battle tested right now. You know we've had late wins, we've had tough losses at the end, and so knowing that you know they've been in some battles. There's confidence that comes from that, but there's also that angst that you're mad and you want to get it right and get it fixed.
Speaker 1: And so that's what we intend to do.
Speaker 2: And close to your point, the NFL season is a very long time. This is the first time Jadan and Daniels has got to experience how long NFL season really is. What do you expect from him these next stretch of games.
Speaker 1: Well, Number one of this guy's a relentless competitor. He just is.
Speaker 4: And just like he and really all of his teammates, you wish progress just went on this steady line and that would be.
Speaker 1: Awesome, but that's not how progress works.
Speaker 4: You know, that line goes up, put it down, and you keep going up. And so the ones that you don't have the performance that you love, you're learning from that and the.
Speaker 1: Next one comes up, and the next one comes up.
Speaker 4: And the best way to do that is back on the practice field. That's really where you make yourself as a ballplayer. All the skill work, all the throws, all the running, all the track tackling, all of that, so you get to Sunday and do it. And so he's a fantastic practice player, which makes him a great player. So that's the part that I expect to see over the next two weeks.
Speaker 1: Real quick, how do.
Speaker 2: You expect a guy like Jayden Daniels, right, who's just won so much, how do you teach him to deal with those lows, those ebbs and flows of the season.
Speaker 1: Because he's he's seen so much success in his career.
Speaker 4: He has, He's also you know, had his share of some adversity too, where it didn't go his way quite you know, in the right spots, from coming up through college and you know, his first part at LSU and going to win the job in a late circumstance through it, so it wasn't all just like his Heisman year.
Speaker 1: Season, you know.
Speaker 4: And but you do grow from those and you expect it. It's true of anybody, whether you're a coach, a ball player not. There's going to be those ups and down. But if you continually find the things you want to work at and you relentlessly go after it, like being relentless is not like well maybe or no halfway. Being relentless is like I'm all the way in and I'm going to find it and find the answers. Not you know, dance around it, and Jaden is a relentless competitor, so like there's no halfway, no maybe or we'll see how it works out. Like that's not how he gets down. So that's he and his teammates, you know.
Speaker 1: We'll do that.
Speaker 4: And so it's tough, but there's also a lot lot of good things that come from being tough and going through tough times, like you do gain it. It's you get stronger, you gain a little more confidence, and I expect that to be the case for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think also it's it's cool, like you know, being on the sideline and watching him come off, it's it's had a really nice support system here too, Like you know, the Mariota comes up to him to be just talking to him, Cliffs is talking to him, even Sam Hartman's got some stuff to say to him, and like just to be supportive. And how important is that you always talk about fellowship and camaraderie. It just seems like with that group specifically, they've got a really nice he's got a really nice support system that can help him kind of navigate some of this adversity not on his own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was by design, but you.
Speaker 4: You also know when you put people together, you don't know the dynamic, and then this thing is just grown the way they support one another, look after one another.
Speaker 1: I remember telling.
Speaker 4: Jeff before the game, if you see it, make sure you can share it what happens in the game. So if it's two times, that's a coincidence. If it's three times, that's a pattern. Right, So if you see this happening or this specific coverage or a technique, make sure you can share it. You know, like tsa something, say something, but only if you're sure you saw something, like don't say something just to say something, huh. So I want to make sure they've got this really cool support system to go and we've got a very tough group. They're really connected and so they're upset, that's good, they're mad, that's good. You have to go through those tough experiences and we'll come back right, you know, battle it as hard as we can. And like I said, we've got this block to really really work our skills and.
Speaker 2: Coach use the word tough. I don't think there's anybody tough and than Brian Robinson. You we got him back on that field. What does his presence how does his presence impact this offense.
Speaker 1: It does a lot.
Speaker 4: If you think of him and eck And there's the slashing element and a downhill element and the things they can compliment together. I love when we put him in the backfield together one can split out, one can say, and so I love the balance that they bring to it. But for him to be back in it and be able to express himself and run downhill and be physical, it's such a big part of our offense. And as strong as to go tow he is on the inside, you know, still having Brian to be able to get downhill, that's a big piece for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think you know it's also when you watch Brian, I mean he runs with that kind of that toughness, you know, and so is Eckler too. They all do, even McNichols. I mean, they're really just a tough group of guys. And is that coming from Anthony Lynn just kind of this mindset or did they have it? And I'm already you know, you can't teach tough, they say, but I do find that some coaches can help kind of bring it out of you a little bit.
Speaker 4: I would say their whole group is I would agree with that, and not every position has that all the way through you've been a part of that, but this group does, and they're able to show it and demonstrate it in different ways, whether it's downhill running or going to pass protect and be into it and be accountable to one another. And so that's one of the coolest things logan like they're down for it, you know, in terms of whatever needs to be done, whatever takes.
Speaker 1: That's kind of the mindset.
Speaker 3: It does take some physical courage to pass protect like yeah, well, like, oh man, it's so block that guy. I see these dudes throwing down and that's like like the ultimate sign of brotherhood, in my opinion, is seeing somebody just being like I'm gonna put it on the line here for the quarter.
Speaker 4: And you see Jeremy leading the way for Austin they kickoff returns, and so for him, that's another example that like, yeah, I got your back, I'll run it like I'm gonna run it, but if there's a guy in the hole, I'm gonna take.
Speaker 1: It as for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and going to the defense. Freaking Louisville another multi SAT game for him. Talk about how he's been able to fit in this defense and how he's been able to set the tone for the defense as a whole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Frankie's done a fantastic job. He brings so much energy to our team, to our defense. And I think Joe's done a really good job of featuring the things that make him unique. And so for him, man, he's been awesome for us. I love the way he can play, the way he can hit.
Speaker 1: He's relentless.
Speaker 4: He just has a motor that won't stop, man, So I love what he brings. He and Wags have such a good balance at linebacker and how we can feature the guys and blitz and you know, playing and coverage. So it's been good to see that group, you know, just come together at linebacker and you know, be able to be featured in the things that make them great. Like there's nobody that's a better tackler than Bobby Wagon. Like he's literally the best in the world at one there. So that's like not that many people can say that, like doctors and lawyers, he's the best doctor in the world, but like he's the best tackler, you know, And so that's a rare trait and he's exceptionalized and so you see that rubbing off on Jeremy Chin and that are really starting to make their mark. And now that they've been in it for you know, half the season, you know, we expect more moving forward.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned Bobby and Frankie, and they strike me as very different personalities at least in terms of play style, and they kind of play the game differently. Did you talk about how they've kind of impacted each other? You know what I mean, because it's like, you know, Bobby's so quiet and he's like got this very kind of reserve and then Frankie just seems like he's about to lose his mind every single second.
Speaker 4: So Bobby is the person when he talks you really lean in because there's going to be something that has wisdom behind it.
Speaker 1: It was thoughtful.
Speaker 4: And Frankie's the guy he said, come on like the fire man anywhere. So they're this that they lead the team in different ways, but they're both impactful, and I think that's what authentic leadership is, as being yourself. You know, no one's asking Bobby to you know, you know, lead like Frankie does, and we're not asking Frankie to you know, lead like Bobby does. But being able to do it in their own way. I think that's what leading is.
Speaker 2: And Coach, I think with that leadership is so valuable, especially because you have some rookies getting big minutes on this defense. You just talk about what you see from them in the way that they've been able to just fit in this defense and honestly not even look like rookies.
Speaker 1: Mike Sandmer still is one. He had a very.
Speaker 4: Confident, playmaking, tough approach to him, And I think that's important because and Logan can speak to this as a teammate, when you know what you're going to expect from somebody, that's a really powerful thing. Like they know Mikey's going to battle and fight for it, like that's all he ever does. So there's not we don't know another way. And so he's getting to demonstrate who he is to his teammates, you know, on a consistent basis, and so tough receivers, tough matchups, he's just always down for the fight. And so he would be one that really jumps out to me.
Speaker 3: I mean, gosh, in that Philly game, Coach, I guess a couple he's drawn like some big boy, scary one on ones, Yes, and there was no flinch, no bat and I all know who's that guy. It's like, I'm gonna play a good technique and get this ball out. I mean it was it was really you got me fired up watching it. I mean, that's be pretty cool.
Speaker 4: He trusts it, yeah, trust the training that he put in, He trust his technique.
Speaker 1: He trusts and we trust him. Yeah, you know, obviously not too because.
Speaker 4: He moved his positions outside from inside as the season were on, and he was just always up for it.
Speaker 1: And so he's someways to the boundary and now he's to the field.
Speaker 4: And so it's been very cool to see him just absolutely be ready for it.
Speaker 2: And coach, before you let you go, like we said to start the show, ten days stretch before we play the Dallas Cowboys, how do you plan spend some of this time?
Speaker 4: The first part is going back through where you know, basically over the last two games, what were those closing time moments?
Speaker 1: What were the ones that were the most impactful? Part?
Speaker 4: How does it play on a first and ten instead of being second and one. It's a first down Again, those seems like small to me, or may seem like small too, but that's a big deal where the chain moves again, where we can control possession longer. And so it may be hitting into the right read, it might be you know, the blitzer being in the right spot. So making sure when these small winning time moments come that we deliver where that part. I want to make sure we get it right all the time. Somebody beat you on a good throw or good catch, or you know, they hit the right blocking scheme and you get to it and you can tip your hat, but make sure they have to really challenge us to win the play.
Speaker 1: Coaches.
Speaker 2: First half of the season has been fun and we were very excited to see this second half.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your time, Coach.
Speaker 4: No, man, you think you're excited. We are absolutely lit up to get rolling again and do it at home. Yeah, we can't wait.
Speaker 1: Thanks Coach.
Speaker 5: Logan.
Speaker 2: We talked to coach about some of these impact players, so let's look into it right now. First of Frankie Luvu coming off of a two sad games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you said, Frankie Loluvu, I mean, coach mentioned him and just the emotional energy that he brings to the team. Kind of get the physicality, the mindset. Obviously the production is great, but I think that juice has kind of changed the perspective of the defense, and that to me is why he's one of the most impactful players.
Speaker 2: Even though it's so impressed to me when you have guys like Bobby Wagner and Austin Eckley in that locker room, but you're the one giving this speech, you're the one getting guys rally, really says a lot about you. Speaking of Bobby Wagner, our next impact player, co said it the best tackler ever.
Speaker 1: It's a nice to think.
Speaker 3: How cool is that he says that. I mean, really it's pretty neat, right, And so yeah, Bobby Wagner obviously the leadership to me, and you know, Frankie, the energy Bobby is the leadership. Just kind of like follow me. I've been there, I know what I'm doing. That impact is so so important to this team, the production of the field of tackles, but also just getting everybody lined up and just really, you know, a Hall of Fame collegerate football player and he's playing that way right now, which is great.
Speaker 2: And a guy that's just impacting the entire NFL, turning a bunch of heads. Artworkie quarterback Jade and Daniels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, obviously the team wouldn't be here without him in his production, like I think about earlier in the season and just how good he actually was. It's hard to overstate his impact and obviously a little bit of a struggle last two weeks, but man, I like just in terms of the poise, the composure, the physical skill set, he's a special guy and as he goes, this team and this organization will go. So definitely huge impact.
Speaker 2: And logan other than the tight end of course, quarterback's best friend is your center Tyler Biatis. We brought him in from Dallas. Hit coach Dan Quinn knew a lot about him, and he has been so impactful for this team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the thing about Tyler is he kind of maybe represents the whole offensive line and what they've done. I think the way he calls the line, sets the protection, sets the runs, and as a run blocker, the thing obviously physical in one on one situations, but the thing that's maybe stuck out the most is his ability to move and to get into space and just how they've been able to use some kind of like they did Jason Kelcey and Philadelphia really unique skill set and again it alleviates a lot of press. Sure on this guy elevates b Rob elevates Austin Eckler really just way more exciting than I thought he would know. It's weird to talk about a center like that. This is an exciting football player. But all these guys doing a great job. Can't wait to watch it back out of the season with them.
Speaker 5: Tyler badass like that. If you are not an impact player, shout out to all these guys for impacting this team. Can't wait to see what they do to end the season. Logan tickets to a winning.
Speaker 2: Season is crazy to think we're already past the halfway point. Now, our commanders have back to back losses, which is not something we want to see. However, how can we move forward and continue our winning season?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's good. You know, I know people don't like losing, but I think it's good that they lost. And I think some of the stuff the coach talked about really resonated with me is that like, in order to grow, you have to go through some kind of adversity. So I think if they can kind of take these experiences and say that's what it takes to be playoff caliber football teams like they were in it with the Pittsburgh Steelers. They were up on the philadelph Egals lay in that game, and the extra kind of strain the effort. If you can learn something and derive something from that, I think that's going to be so so valuable. And I think this team at every turn has shown that they can learn that way. So that's what I'm excited for, right, learn from those mistakes, apply it, and kind of say we have this next year on our arsenal. I think that's going to be a really important part of winning.
Speaker 2: And LOGI you talked about a little bit in a post game during the Thursday Night Football you said the things.
Speaker 1: That they can learn.
Speaker 2: Can you allude to that little band talk about what are those of those things that they can learn and use moving forward?
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I think the thing that sticks out to me, especially in that Philly game, was just the speed at which they need to play. Right when you go up against a different caliber team, when you get playoff style football, it's faster, it's more physical, and this is a pretty young team. I think Jane Daniels, you know, young football player obviously, for him to see those kinds of defenses, the types of defensive structures and say, oh, now I understand what open is versus this. That's incredibly impactful. I think for the offensive line, understanding the speed of some of these better defensive fronts also impactful. And I think the other thing is this group needs to get healthy, and I think they can because we got to buy, we got a mini buy. All those things are gonna play a factor.
Speaker 2: And we talk to a coach about it, right, using this ten day stretch effectively, how would you want to see these guys use these ten days and get ready for the Dallas Cowboy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think that's a great question and really important to winning obviously, And for me it's about self scout right, what have we done well? Where can we improve? And Dan mentioned some things that I didn't even think about, and that's why it's so fun to talk to him. It's the little details. Hey, the second and one? How do we make sure that's a first down? Here's a third and one? Third and two? How do we win this situation? How do I make sure this blitz gets home defensively? So if I can take this period, learn, evaluate, improve I think those are the things that really are are going to be the tickets to long.
Speaker 1: Long term success, tickets to a winning season.
Speaker 2: Is just fun to be able to talk about winning Logan.
Speaker 1: We love that.
Speaker 2: We will be back next Sunday with Coach on the game plan when we take on the Dallas Cowboys for Hicos dan Quinn, Logan Polsen, and Brian Colbert.
Speaker 1: This is the game plan and we'll see y'all next Sunday.
Speaker 3: Is