Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent coverage that is possible. If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show. Hello, everybody live from Chicago. We are here. We've got Emily Jishinski, We've got Ryan Graham, producer Mac. Everybody. Please bear with us. So we've had several technical difficulties, missed flights, people are gone. It's been a crazy experience, some of which I will get into and does reflect, I think a little bit on DNC leadership. But before we get to that, thank you to our friends at Barstool Sports, specifically Eddie and the entire crew at the dog Walk, which is presented by Barstool, allowing us to use their beautiful studio. So thank you so much to them. If you like Chicago Sports or any of that, go subscribe. I got to give them a shout out. They've been they've been so so kind to us.
Speaker 3: Funny thing. Funny thing about the Barsool studio. I went looking for water. I found High Noons, right, energy drinks, right, vodka. Right. I had to ask eventually, like I think we do have water.
Speaker 2: Like this stuff. You don't need any of that. Yeah, So we've got these what are they ghosts? These things are pretty good. This is by the way, this is We're not being paid for any of this. This stuffed it's really good. Let's be honest.
Speaker 4: I'm concerned, We're.
Speaker 3: Hop got, we're happy.
Speaker 4: We're also joined by Mike Ditka and the rest of this.
Speaker 2: There's also a live nude sign over there, which is very very unbrand for them, not for us.
Speaker 4: Let's take it down.
Speaker 2: That's right, all right. So before we get to any of that, we want to go ahead and again, as I said, thank you to them and please forgive us. On the timeline, we're doing our best to get the content out today and tomorrow, so just everybody stay tuned tomorrow. We hope to be able to go live to everyone from here in the studio on Wednesday as well, and then we'll have clips and other things that will drop throughout. So Premium subscribers. Everybody, please again bear with us, but we are doing our absolute best and we've been working for hours just to make sure that we can even get something out for today. Before we get to that, thank you to all of our premium subscribers, as we said, and those who may consider wanting to be premium subscribers. So we have a promo code right now for anybody who wants to do a one month free trial of Breaking Points. DNC free is the promo code that you can use all caps at Breakingpoints dot com. Go ahead and take advantage of that and tomorrow and also when we're on our live streams, we will give you guys the ability to ask us questions. You can support our work, and we have a lot of exclusive stuff that we're going to be having here throughout the week. But let's go ahead and begin, I think with the state of the race as things are right now. Obviously things are very fast moving, but what we wanted to start with is what we're all here for, which is the DNC. So let's go ahead and put this up there on the screen, the DNC lineup, who's speaking and what to expect, So the general view of where they want things, Ryan is Monday. Today is quote for the people. So the people who are going to be up on the screen today, We've got Biden and doctor Jill will be Doctor Jill will be speaking along with the former Secretary of State Hillary and they welcome from Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson.
Speaker 3: I believe we have a couple of Union folks also.
Speaker 2: AOC will be speaking tonight as well. My joke is that all the least popular people in the Democratic Party you are speaking.
Speaker 3: Tonight, your entire political careers speaking Thursday. Yeah, that's right, Monday, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, not Monday.
Speaker 3: So Monday, Monday is a place to start.
Speaker 2: Biden gets to speak, Doc Doc Jill, if true villain gets to speak as well. Yeah, those two will be speaking tonight.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The key is that they obviously just want everyone to have amnesia and forget about Monday by tomorrow. So as we can see in front of us, we've got Obama, who will be speaking or President of former President Obama tomorrow, then the second Gentleman, Doug m Off JB. Pritzker. Then Wednesday, that's when you've got Tim Walls. Then you've got Bill Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Buddhaj edge Thursday. That's when Harris will actually speak. So I believe it's literally in order of like ascending popular. It's frankly kind of smart. You want you want people to you want people to be thankful for Biden. That's what they're going to try and do. But they are going to try and forget about him as soon as possible.
Speaker 5: So he's literally going to Santa Barbara after Yes he might be going him on a star or whatever, but he's going to a vacation.
Speaker 4: Wow. Yeah, they're Santa Barbara right after that.
Speaker 2: They're truly putting him out the past or that.
Speaker 3: If any of.
Speaker 2: The poles or anything, just give us your reaction. The general setup of everything Union. Many Union guys are going to be speaking tonight. Sean Fane will be speaking tonight, I believe, with a few others. Interestingly enough, Sean O'Brien from the Teamsters. I'm not invited to speak here at the DNC. I think a little bit of ruffel feathers efter he spoke at the RNC. But Ryan, our resident Democratic expert, what do you think if.
Speaker 3: You're Biden, you can't stick around like it's Also he wasn't planning on sticking around to begin with. The president is in and out like they treat it like, you know, and this has been for centuries that the nominees would wouldn't It was like ghosh for them to actually come and be seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was in the old days. Ye yeah, Sometimes it wouldn't even come. They'd be like, oh, I accept the nomination, they would say from the white right.
Speaker 3: And so the thing that that evolved into is the nominee kind of showing up at the end or just peaking their head out and saying, all of my people are doing the things that I want to, I'm going to go back behind the scenes. But yeah, if you're Biden, the humiliation is so steep that you've just got to do your bit Monday and just and just roll on out. What what is so clear about the response to Biden's departure is that he never had any base and that was we kind of knew that about him. But Obama has people who follow him, AOC has people who like her, Bernie Sanders has people that like him. Elizabeth Warren has the Warren eyes. You know, she's got that. It's not obviously it wasn't enough to get any of them the nomination.
Speaker 4: She's got Mad Stoller, she yeah, Mad Solar.
Speaker 3: But she's got people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Biden does not like and he never has. He's just been the guy that you know, put his finger in the wind and and very successfully stuck himself dead center of the party, whether it was a seventies, eight seventies, can you believe the seventies, eighties, nineties, two thousands or up until today. But what that also means is that when you no longer have any power, nobody cares.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. You truly are put out. I mean it's over. Yeah, I have here. You're exactly right. He's going straight to California and that's it, and then they're going on vacation. It's kind of truly remarkable, Emily. We do, however, before we even get to our if you want to talk about some of the DNC, we've got some polling as well. Do you want to weigh on the lineup first, and then we'll talk about the polling.
Speaker 5: Well, it's similar to what the RNC did. You're just building excitement. And at the RNC, of course, Trump had just been shot literally in the head, and so there was all of this, There was this air of almost mystery, about suspense about what he would say here.
Speaker 4: There's less of that.
Speaker 5: It's more just I think our suspense now is seeing the presentation of Kamala Harris exactly how almost Obama esque it is. Because the Washington Post ran a story this morning saying it's not nineteen sixty eight, it feels more like two thousand and eight. We're starting to see artists already paint portraits of Kamala Harris that.
Speaker 3: Make same guy, same guy, same guy.
Speaker 5: There's other there have been other renditions of it as well, making like literally casting Kamala Harris in this Obama esque role. And I think as we go throughout the week, it'll be That's one of the big things I'm looking for, is how dramatically they're presenting there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the problem is that that second time is farce. Problem like Obama had months and months, almost a year actually kind of to organically build this like real energy behind his truly kind of historic campaign.
Speaker 5: He was like a two year slot, is what Tommy Veeder said today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and now they're trying to like slap it together in a couple of weeks and they go out and get what's his name the guy they did the Hope and Change poster and he just kind of redoes it and it sort of feels like top down kind of applied to people rather than people kind of pushing it up from the bottom. Maybe that's enough, though. Yeah, a vote is a vote, whether it's like for cringe or whether it's for like genuine.
Speaker 2: Let's stick with that because that's important thing. Because we've only got what seventy nine days now, I think until the election as of when we're recording. Let's go ahead and put the New York Times Siena poll. So this poll came out over the weekend and it dramatically just shows you how Kamala Harris has a significant polling advantage to where Biden was. So here from the New York Times Sienna, they pulled battleground states as well as the Sunbelt. So what do we see Arizona Kamala Harris fifty percent, trumpet forty five. That's huge, I mean Arizona with a five point spread. North Carolina they actually have Kamala leading Trump by two points. Now, Nevada is where things are interesting. Trump is there at forty eight, Harris at forty seven. Georgia Trump is at fifty, Harris is at forty six. What this tells us is that Kamala significantly changes the map for two seventy that Biden ever had. I mean, I frankly think his map was dead, you know, the day of the debate. But let's say as dead, possibly as him. But whenever he was let's say previously, whenever he had not done the debate, and we think about what his theoretical map was, he really was reliant on the so called Blue Wall, and that was like Arizona was gone, North Carolina was gone, Nevada even very likely not there. Georgia. He needed to win Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Where these North Carolina numbers, the Arizona numbers and others, they open up a different possibility for Kamala to get to two seventy. It also reflects, frankly, the changing nature of the country. I don't think it's an accident. Arizona and North Carolina are two of the law I think they have the most dynamic economies in the United States just in the last two years, and both have had massive in rome in in flight of population from California from other Blue states. So they've got a bluer population this time around, people who are much more likely to vote on abortion.
Speaker 3: And all of that. Yes, and I think we'll have Anderson Clayton, who's a North Carolina county chair. You guys might have followed that story. She's like twenty five. Yeah, she's very young and want this like one, this like grassroots campaign where she overthrew all these old dudes and is taking a completely different approach to trying to win North Carolina. Obama won it, if I'm not mistaken, in two thousand and eight, right, and so because he did, Democrats have been just pining for it every time since then.
Speaker 4: Well, and they've had Democratic governor since then.
Speaker 3: I have one right now, one right now, So it's it's not out of reach. Arizona seems to be going increasingly blue, like the like in the same way that Iowa went from a swing state to like just deep red. At this point, it feels like Arizona could could potentially go that way for all the reasons you're talking about. A lot of Democrats come from both the Northeast to retire in California. Yeah, to retire and also to escape California, and they bring their voting patterns with them, and so you know, Biden was the only reason that it was even in play. You know, they have two Democratic senators.
Speaker 2: Yes, and don't forget this, they have abortion on.
Speaker 3: That a democratic governor Democrat Arizona.
Speaker 2: They had that whole what is it, eighteen sixties law and they had to change it. But there's actually still going to be a ballot referendum in Arizona, which the abortion activists fought very hard to put on. I would not underestimate that emily for turnout wise. So it's interesting because we're seeing that reflected at the DNC here. I have noticed that you're seeing party chairs obviously flying from Arizona others, but they're getting not only key slots. And I was talking with some others when I was in the airport because many of the activists and other things were there, and they were like, oh, yeah, there's a lot of energy around Arizona, around North Carolina. So it's clear that the Kamala campaign and the DNC is doing their best while we're here in Chicago to elevate the battleground states that are newly in play as a result of Kamala coming to the ticket.
Speaker 4: That's a really good point.
Speaker 5: And the other thing in North Carolina is obviously Mark Robinson is considered to be a weak candidate. He's obviously a polarizing and controversial candidate. So what that can do for Democratic turnout in North Carolina. It's an important to note now in that New York Times Siena poll, the margin is in most states it's between plus or minus four.
Speaker 4: Basically, it's roughly plus or minus.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of a tie.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's basically a dead heat, which is like incredible given where Biden was not that long ago. And to the point we started talking about this poll on there is something that I think and Ryan, I'm curious what you think. It's not just top down with Kamala Harris. It's also people projecting there. And I'm going to use a controversial word, the controversial word da jure Joy, and I really mean it that people are overjoyed that they do not have to vote for Joe Biden, and so you project onto Kamala Harris that relief and so some of it I do think, you know, there's a group of people in states like North Carolina or Arizona that are genuinely like excited to rediscover Kamala Harris because they're so desperate to have a good option instead of arguably one of the worst possible options.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And what I've heard from Democrats is that what their internal polling is showing is that basically what you described has brought back the Democratic coalition in the fold, Like Biden's erosion was not because people were switching over to Trump necessarily, they were dropping into kind of undecided or over to RFK. With Kamala back, they've all come back. So she's brought back that coalition. But that's not enough on its own, like they're what they're saying is that in general, the polls are still showing her up about a point or two. At this time, Biden and Hillary were both up by six to seven point. Yes, and Democrats need to be up substantially in the national vote in order to win the elect total College unless they figure out some new path which Arizona, Georgia could in North Carolina could actually present to them.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to add something on that. Harry Enton made a very good point on CNN last week where he analyzed where the polls are versus where they were in twenty sixteen and twenty twenty, and said, actually, Trump, where the polls are now? If you account for the polling errors and say that they haven't been corrected significantly, which they weren't from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty. They were corrected a little bit but not significantly, then this could still the polling as it stands right now, could still be showing a Trump victory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want everyone to That's my last corollary here, which is, let's also just all remember haven't been burned multiple times twenty twenty and also twenty twenty two, where we can't put full stock in all of this. And I would also say I have Nate Silver's election forecast in front of me. Kamala fifty three point five percent per chance of winning the electoral College, Donald Trump at forty five. If we look at polymarket and the betting markets, Kamala currently has fifty one percent and Trump forty seven. But I'm actually reading Nate's book right now. I highly recommend it. Something he just tries to drum into people. Forty seven is very high. Yeah, imagine putting like if you had a forty seven percent chance of losing everything. You should be pretty freight like, you should be afraid.
Speaker 3: He had Trump. He had Trump in twenty sixteen at about thirty thirty five, and that was right, which was like, that's a really big change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one in three three, one in three.
Speaker 3: Think about that exactly. You put a gun to your head and yeah, you have a one bullet chance of like to think about two bullets in a six shooter.
Speaker 2: But that's part of what I want. I want everyone to internalize how the things are still very very much in a toss up right now. The key that the Democrats are going to be going for is the traditional bump that you get after the convention, and that's I mean, part of the reason we're all here is we expected some chaos. You know, we had planned this whole thing. We're like, oh, there's gonna be all this chaos for the DNC. But I mean, to be honest, there has been protests and we're going to cover that a little bit later in the show. And they're pretty unified right now, so that what they're trying to do is present a full picture of we're in this, we're ready to beat Trump. I'm very I've been very interested in Kamala kind of rolling her eyes at Trump attacks. She's like, huh, classic, But we're going to beat him in November. I'm seeing, you know, in terms of the Democrats, and there's been some policy stuff. We're about to talk about that as well. But the overall political picture is it's clear that Trump is a little bit flat footed now ever since so the last time we all spoke, I know you guys have covered some of this. Trump is he's basically back on the campaign trail. He'll be having I think two maybe three events that are just this week, trying to do some DNC counter program He's actually literally doing a rally as we speak.
Speaker 5: There was a press conference with Rick Scott and Ron Jackson, so was quite boring.
Speaker 2: Two real genius politicians that we definitely want.
Speaker 3: Oh, they were going after Walls for his China connections.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They then they dipped into Chicago to have a little counter programming and didn't work.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I see, yeah, sir Trump is doing a press conference right now. It looks like he's I think he's in Milwaukee anyway, just trying to check in on what they're trying to do, because what they want is counterprogramming. The DNC is happening. It's going to take over the media tonight. We've got the Biden speech. Obviously, it's so much there's so much at stake, honestly, even for Biden, because if he melts again on the stage, that's going to increase not just question about whether the should drop out. It's like, dude, can you even be president right now?
Speaker 5: How are we not even talking about that's hold the top line tonight.
Speaker 2: I mean, every single time I read the news about ceasefires or Ukraine and stuff, I'm like, I can't believe this melted man is literally in charge of the country. Like it's insane. It's an insane thing. Now he will be on the stage night. I'm very curious to see how he does. I mean, can you imagine if he has a similar debate level meltdown. And one of the things we're about to get to with the policy is the tyme of kam law to Trump, I mean, sorry, Kamla to Biden. If he does a bad job tonight, that will actually be a bit of a problem. Part of the reason again, why I think they scheduled him today just to make sure that if he screws it up. They can, they can deprogram the way out of it.
Speaker 3: But I do think he'll get through his speech. I think he'll slur his words. I think he'll mess some stuff up. Yeah, but he can still read off a teleprompter to some degree, and as long as they don't put in things like pause for applause.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he can do.
Speaker 5: But he's done that however many times already. Really, I mean, he lost the ticket, but he's still the president.
Speaker 3: So there could not be a lower bar for him to have to clear.
Speaker 2: Good point.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, so on that point, Sager, I think we can put this next element up on the screen. This is a three.
Speaker 4: This is the cringe celebrity lineup.
Speaker 5: So this is the weakness to the extent. There is one when Democrats have all of this momentum, and they have momentum and polling, they have massive momentum with the press. Kamala Harris's favorability is going from the most unpopular vice president in modern history to somebody with pretty high favorability and great treatment in the press. They have all of this going for them, and then they put a cast of celebrities. They did something similar twenty twenty but they put this cast of celebrities in charge of like m seeing the Knights, and one of them is on a Navarro Saga's I think probably.
Speaker 2: Your favorite course, my favorite view cast, one of.
Speaker 4: Your yeah you're failed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, although there's stiff competition, but on a Navarro, Carrie Washington, Tony Goldwyn, Mandy Kaling. We don't know how front and center that they will be, but I expect this to become a pretty big part of the Republican counterprogramming. And my expectation though, is that with Democrats having all this momentum, Kamala Harris is on her honeymoon, this extends that honeymoon just a little bit longer. I don't know that it sticks around until after Labor Day. But I also just think this is going to be Democrats week. There isn't going to be a lot Republicans can do as in the last month to draw attention away from it and to draw favorability away. It's just going to it's going to be a love fest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last thing on this Then, as I kept hearing from the Republicans are like, no, we're going to unload on her after Labor Day, and I was like, you know, I just think we're wasting a lot of time here. You know, there's a lot of time time that was wasted in the last couple of weeks where Kama is basically allowed to coast. I mean, how many interviews is this lady to zero?
Speaker 5: Lablish her zero interviews and has totally re established her image with the American public.
Speaker 2: Re established her image with the American public. The media is literally like coronating this woman, like live on television. In terms of interviews, zero quote, hope to have one scheduled by Labor day. Still nothing scheduled. I was literally out sick for an entire week and she still is non scheduled an interview. That's crazy is August nineteenth, so she doesn't have to do an interview this entire week, right Ryan, That gives us the Labor day. She's been a candidate for almost a month. Nothing I see that she answers question in a sheets gas station for less than two minutes, you know, gives one answer. Cool, it's like fake those things doing a fake video about Dorito's I mean, this is all we're getting from this woman. It's astounding to me. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Her one non scripted moment well, she said two nonscripted moments. The second one was scripted. It was when she got protested at the one rally.
Speaker 2: Well, no, she said that they're helping Electron.
Speaker 3: They're helping Electron. But and then the second time she got protested, she was on script. She was like, I hear you, I feel you like we're going to sort this all out. Yes, but yes, like there's there's been there's been zero. I do think it's worth talking about this complete gap in understanding of the race between the right and the left. Right now, tell me if I'm tell me how prevalent this view is on the right. But from my like kind of social media feed, it seems like there's a substantial portion of conservatives who think that Tim Walls has been a complete catastrophe for Democrats they might dump him, and that Kamala Harris might actually get dumped, and she's that Democrats are not behind her and it's a complete cat.
Speaker 5: That is just some more like whatever, Well, I will just I do think there's some serious underestimate, misunderestimating going on to quote Ryan's favorite president too, going on on the right, because well, I know we're going to get into the attacks that Trump has developed on that they have developed on Kamala Harris. And I know they're scrambling right now. Like Trump did that press conference with food stuffs yea to try and talk about watch the same thing.
Speaker 2: I did not think it went well for Trump. I really didn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so it just they don't have anything that's sticking right now. But there is a sub section of the right that to your point, there are people that are very online that have some influence in the campaign, and I think they don't understand that there is some genuine organic support for Kamala Harris among the public in a way that when you're competing for fractions, which is what's happening in this election, it's what's happened in every last election since twenty sixteen, that is incredibly meaningful, and you have to deal with those voters. You have to persuade those voters. I think it's crazy that people flipped on Kamala Harris and went from being like this woman seems a little weird to inspiration.
Speaker 2: You love her. Yeah you're weird. Yeah, I'm like, oh, okay.
Speaker 5: But that there is that happening with you know, five to ten percent of the voting day, So it's significant.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about policy now. This is important and this is something we've been dying to get to on the show. Wish Crystal was here, but we should be able to at the very least, she'll be out of the show on Wednesday, one hundred percent tomorrow. We're still working that out. But let's go ahead and begin with the DNC policy platform, and it's great, big rollout. It appears that in the total shit show that we've already experienced right now at the DNC, getting our damn press credentials took several hours, much longer than it should have. Consequently, you know, leading to a lot of the problems that we have right now. But what we could see in front of us is that they forgot to actually release the term put take the term quote Biden's second term five separate times, Ryan out of the DNC platform. So, I mean, great price has circled all of them here in front of us during President Biden's second term. They even refer to like President Biden and Vice presid Kamala Harris want to continue their legacy. I think this was actually, I know, this is stupid, Like it was obviously like a mistake of an intern. I think it's a colossal mistake in that we should not be talking about Biden at all. Biden who we need to get him on a jet and go to California. We're not talking about him right now.
Speaker 3: What this shows you is the insanity of party functionality. Like, in order to approve the platform, you have to get everybody together. You've got the sub platform, the sub committee that committees. And because they were rushing this so that they could not get Biden off, they approved this long ago. Like this was approved a while ago. It was approved while Biden was still running for president. Yeah, and so in order to get his name out of there, you would have had to reconvene the entire platform committee and somebody would have to make a motion to strike his name from there. And I think basically nobody wanted to do that. Yeah, They're just like they're like, do I want to be the guy that.
Speaker 2: So you think this was intentional, that's even worse.
Speaker 3: It's intention it's intentional in the sense that they knew that this was the document that they had, and they were like, we can either reconvene the entire platform committee, make that a news story. Strike his name and replace, you know, control a shoal r with Harris, or we can just take our lumps on Monday when this rolls.
Speaker 4: Out, because then you have to vote on it again bureaucracy.
Speaker 3: And then once and then as soon as you are voting on it again, then you've got uncommitted delegates who are like, wait a minute, we're still We're still in here, like with this terrible Hamas and uh An Israel provisions, let's let's revisit this. And so I think they were just like, you know what' screw it does just.
Speaker 2: Roll it out, saying because that makes it not an oversight, that actually makes it up not intentional.
Speaker 3: Because because no inn could is nobody's allowed to go in and change a comma.
Speaker 2: But again, I mean this is this is reflective of a your problem that they have is that if all the polling that we look at, the more that Kamala is the change candidate and away from Biden, the better off she's doing, the more that she's tied to Joe Biden and all of his policies, than the worst off that she's doing, and that actually gets us ryan to these economic proposals, has been causing quite a stir online has been it'll be fun to talk about here. Kamala gave a economic speech what was it yesterday? On Thursday in North Carolina. Jeff Stein front of the show has a few highlights here. I'm going to read off of quote, six thousand dollars for a newborn tax credit. That's three thousand dollars for most children. Six thousand dollars fully available to the poorest families, twenty five thousand dollars down payment subsidy for first time home buyers, a two thousand dollars annual cap on out of pocket prescription drug costs, housing supply expansion credits, a ban on price gouging for food and groceries. That's probably the most controversial element. We have eliminate medical debt and EITC expansion, as well as ACA subsidy extension. So go ahead, Ryan, give us the leftist take, and then Emily and I will give us the counter.
Speaker 3: This is incredible stuff, and the virtue of it is that it does separate from Biden the sense that some of this is new, like the twenty five thousand dollars down payment, going after price gouging. It makes you talk about Kamala Harris distinct from Joe Biden on a policy term, we can go through them, like the six thousand dollars newborn credit, like that's new that I have not seen that from them. That's it's a derivative. It's a derivative of the child tax credit that was extremely popular during the you know, the first year or so Bid administration, which cut child poverty in half, and then they just doubled child poverty by letting it, letting it lapse. People like that. What they I think what they learned from the twenty twenty Georgia Senate elections is that offering people money is a cool way to get them to vote for you. If you remember they they did that.
Speaker 2: Do you think that still works in inflation politics? Before we get to that, I think it's that's where I think the counter might be, Yeah, get in the inflation conversation. By the way, I'm not saying it cons inflation. I'm just saying, given that we haven't.
Speaker 3: That's the downside. But but we'll see the I think the price gouging one is is great terrain to be fighting on.
Speaker 2: Interesting because it puts.
Speaker 3: The kind of right wing national national populism on the spot, it's like forces you support. It calls the question you're okay with price gouging?
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so I'm gonna go ahead give us the counter because that's actually been that's the one that I've seen the most like argument online from right. So obviously it's been well, this is okay, So let's talk about what actually price gouging, what that means. So I had to do a decent amount of reading here in the last couple of weeks. Matt Stoler, as always, actually is a very good explainer on the difference between price controls, what price gouging is, and what separate proposals are. Now, Kamalo was not specific about what a ban on price gouging actually would see.
Speaker 4: People like the Post read into it the project.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I actually think it was a huge I honestly think it was a mistake for her because she allowed price gouging. And by the way, elements to some people in the GOP like who's the center from ioways super old grass grass Yeah, people even like grassly others are calling for breaking up meat package, right, I mean, technically that is going after price gouging. And because what you're trying to do is you're trying to break up the producer monopolies and biomanopolies which have been then sold to the grocery store. There's been a lot of confusion about that too, because people are like, well, how could groceries becount grocery stores with price gouging because they only have a two to three percent margin. What I believe that they're talking about are the actual suppliers to the grocery stores themselves. It's not the grocery store. It's like the craft food whatever, whatever that company is. I forget yep that owns it anyway, So emily give us what you have seen, because I have not seen the right this animated about a counter policy issue in quite a long time. The Price Control Bank really took off from what I could see, and I think it actually is going to set up for this will be a real debate on the stage now at this point, because we saw Trump talk about this at the press conference as.
Speaker 5: Well, well, And that brings Ryan's point, That brings up Brian's really important point, which is that it actually forces the new right to confront this question of corporate power, and on the other hand, it's going to force the establishment left that is now helmed by Kamala Harris, who is suggesting, you know, anti price gouging members sort of measures, sort of vaguely, we don't know exactly what they would look like. The Washington Post jumped in with their editorial board and caught a lot of flak for going in hot not a lot of flak from everyone. There were some people who were really glad to see the Washington posting, some people in the tech community and the corporate community who celebrated the Washington Post editorial.
Speaker 4: So did the right. And this is the where the.
Speaker 5: Politics and the ideology, if we separate them from ament for a moment, the politics and the substance for a moment. Politically, it was absolutely one hundred percent a gift to the right because because they know and Ryan know this too, like you can really fear monger with socialism. You can do the same with capitalism too when you're polling. But the right feels like when they can tie socialism to democrats in the suburbs in places like Pennsylvania, in places like Michigan, that is.
Speaker 4: A huge, huge help for them.
Speaker 5: That gets some of those skeptical Trump people back over on their side. They thought that in twenty eighteen it was like their godsend.
Speaker 4: That's what they felt.
Speaker 5: Now you can, you know, make it and in twenty twenty two you can make a judgment on whether it worked. But they love that. They think it's a huge boost right into their veins when they can tie people to socialism. It can be really cringe when you're doing it, like it may be really really cringe when you're doing it.
Speaker 4: At the same time, it is.
Speaker 5: Something that voters can look at and say it.
Speaker 4: It sort of is easier to.
Speaker 5: Build a narrative about someone being far left when you can talk about that.
Speaker 2: So I have some pulling in front of me that Matt Stoler had. So it says using antitrust to enforce laws against price gouging and price fixing has a net forty two percent approval rating around decreasing inflation and others.
Speaker 4: I do, but it depends on how you're talking about I no.
Speaker 2: Know, by the way, That's what I was about to say. Yeah, that's why I do wonder whether it was a mistake. I'm actually curious Ryan, will you think about this whole price control discourse, because there is one way, Like there's one way of talking about it, like breaking up meat pack I mean, people in the Midwest support that, agricultural support, rural people support that. Do you think that the common people made a mistake by making it seem like they were going to enforce full bone price control because she hasn't even disavowed that, you know, at this point politically, I'm actually honestly not quite sure. I'm pretty sure Crystal Wild support price control. I'm thinking I've been thinking about it. I just feel like you're guys atistic. Well, okay, but that's what I was gonna say to me. It's a very drastic measure, and like, are we really at price control right now? You know what I mean? Like when we have the ability to break if we break up meat packing, if we look at some of the share buy back and other things that some of these companies have done. So there are multiple states, including Arkansas, like red states, that have price gouging legislation on the books, which basically, after a ten percent threshold increase of price requires the company to file a disclosure with the state as to why a price in a critical industry is going up. And then people I think there's some input process around like that. So I mean, we do have red states that are all the books that have these measures in place. When you put it that way, I'm like, yeah, this seems kind of reasonable. Like even if you have a critical industry or like food meat or an eggs, which we all have that big egg inflation recently, if the company has to do it, at least they don't have to do anything. They just have to justify and explain. Here is why.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 2: The other thing is, when you consider it, we give these companies and these food producers in particular, these people get a shitload of benefits from the US government, right the Farm Bill is packed full. By the way, eggs are not supposed to be the same price today that they weren't in the nineteen seventies. It's because they get all these subsidies. There's been a yes, economy and scale, et cetera. But these are some of the most subsidized people on the planet, also huge beneficiaries of government policy. So when people are like, oh, government should get involved in prices, I'm like, the.
Speaker 4: Only already do. That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 2: The problem to me is like, but we already massively subsidize these companies, so you know, it's almost like the airlines, like, well, should we really allow them to gouge us when we bail them out like fifteen times since nine to eleven. I don't know. I mean at a certain point that we can either have lase fair or not. And you know, I'm not sure why some are allowed or not. In terms of the politics, I think Emily might be right. There could be a suburban backlash. This is also a decent test though, of the does policy even matter theory? Like will this resonate? Right now? It's elites who are arguing about it online, silic on value venture capitalists out price capital about price controls capitalism and all that. Does that penetrate? Like, I honestly have no idea.
Speaker 5: And I just want to say that quickly. I think it was a mistake to not be specific. I agree at it's a really vague thing that allows the right to say this is our new boogeyman of socialism, right. But if she were specific, I think that would instigate a much more interesting on the price gouging, a more interesting policy conversation.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think if you can bait the Republicans into defending corporate price gouging, then you're on no.
Speaker 2: Which they are. Some people have somebody. Some people are like, no, it's you know, we always have to let the market decide or whatever.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think that they lose that argument because I think that people are in general, like when prices get too high, they want something, somebody to do something about it. And if somebody's saying, you know, it's because of concentrated corporate power and we're going to police them, and that's going to drive down prices like good I mean, and I mean again, if we're not talking about pricing tooler, we're talking about just breaking up like food monopolies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that should be happening. I mean there is a I think, what does it? Cheese its and eggoes just got bought by I forget by like thirty three billion dollars by another major food punglomerate y. And what is everybody bitch about shrinkflation? Inflation? Oh, the price of my groceries is going up. I'm like, well, yeah, why do you think do you think they're spending thirty three billion dollars or the goodness of their heart? No, it's because they want to roll it up into a larger company. Yeah, and then you know, increase the price and monopolize the profit and have economy of scale. The question is as a country, considering again how much subsidy that we give to all these food producers and others, especially whenever it comes to meat. I mean, these are some of the most paved industries in the entire United States. They get so many carve outs to cutouts, tax benefits and other things from the government. Then why shouldn't we be able to say no, you're not allowed to merge to each other and poke the consumer. That is different though, from a price control, right, and I think that is where the conversation has to go.
Speaker 3: The overlap comes in when you when the companies start to understand, okay, my price is a signal now to Lena Khan that I'm a monopoly, because you know, there's a couple of different ways you can raise prices, and one of the ways is by being a monopoly, yeah, not having any outside competition to jack up prices. And if a company knows, okay, if I do that, I'm going to start getting some antitrust scrutiny. Then that factors into their boardroom decisions when they're like, what should the price of this be? Right? And when the one guy arguing let's let's do a twelve percent bump, it's like, okay, what do the lawyers think, Like can we actually get away with that? And probably not, let's do seven percent?
Speaker 2: Yeah, any last thoughts on prices before we should talk about this the CTC stuff? Yeah, because that actually, that's probably the interesting, most interesting part where you had jd Vance propose a five thousand dollars tile tax credit actually pissed some people on the rite off with that, and Kamala was like, wait why yeah, and I was like, whoa, that's kind of interesting. I mean, and then Kamala's copying the tax on tips thing. But I mean, we could view that at least as a net positive for some change between the two parties. Traumas explicitly endorsed the five thousand dollars tax credit, I believe. I think he said he would consider it or whatever. So but at the very least the running mate is said it. He endorsed it, five thousand dollars tax credit. She has embraced the tax on tips thing, so is Trump. So there is now I mean a pretty big change from let's say twenty twelve politics, where both of these would not have been proposed by I think a major party.
Speaker 5: Emily, Yeah, I mean, I think you'd have to be a partisan hack to see this as anything but an improvement in the political discourse, and hopefully it translates into policy wins for people who have populist inclinations on these issues. But to say that's not a good thing where they're trying to outdo each other on policies that are positive for working people, Like, that's great.
Speaker 2: What do you think of that?
Speaker 4: Ryan?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Agree, like love love that it's coming back. It got cut out of the IRA at the end when Joe Manchin was like, I'm not doing three point five, I'll do one point seven. Figure out what you're going to cut. Housing and and basically the care economy stuff are what got cut. And it plunged millions of people back into poverty, which is insane.
Speaker 2: On the housing front, by the way, I think the housing part is very smart from the Kamala people is the first major proposal. But if we zoom out a little bit, here, isn't the best attack from the GOP. Hey, why didn't you do any of this, like while you were the president or while you were in the administration. I feel like they don't even have to respond necessarily. They can just say, you have been the vice president, you have not proposed any of this. If you wanted some of this, did you push forward?
Speaker 3: And what is it they had? They had hundreds of billions of dollars in the IRA, and zero Republicans voted for it. That's fair, say, that's why fair point?
Speaker 2: What about Care Act, Cares Act? Is that was that? Which one was the first Biden the American Rescue.
Speaker 3: Plan American that was like a two trillion dollar I think there was some in there, but it was the IRA that had the comprehensive affordable care affordable housing legislation.
Speaker 2: I think, by the way, that's fair and accurate attack, you know, and retort go ahead of it.
Speaker 5: Well, all the Republicans would say it was loaded up with all kinds of like green energy, green energy. Yeah, they would say economy killing like green energy, blah blah blah. Inflationary policies is what they would say, just on a political level. But this is pretty I don't know. I think this is like the central attack that Republicans have on Kamala Harris is you know, not just chameleon Kamala. It's really like you were the vice president. You're telling people you're going to do X, Y and Z. And I don't know how powerful of an attack that is. When Democrats are doing everything in their power except for on the platform, as we just discussed, to distance themselves from Joe Biden to the point where he's not even presiding over the DNC.
Speaker 4: After the first night.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's not really that powerful when she's saying I'm going to step in and be my own person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think on the politic, well, actually it was interesting too on the housing front. The attack I saw which I thought was interesting from JD. I want to get your response to this is he was like, so what did he say he wents Kamala? She said twenty five one thousand dollars down payment for first time home buyers. And the question that he immediately threw out is he's like, oh, Kamala wants to build more houses for illegal immigrants. Now you can say whether that's good or if.
Speaker 3: You want, they'll be doing the build them.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, but what I thought was smart is I was like, wait a second, doesn't that just then force the question because she never said this is going to go to people on citizenship or not, right, but it would at least force the question of like, hey, wait, does your plan apply to more illegal immigrants? And then you put her in a position where, I mean, if she says yes, you know that would be bad, and she said no, then that would also perhaps sparkle back Loft on the left. So I immediately was like, that's kind of a genius attack because she didn't specify. So now you actually have to ask the question around that and pivot to the immigration line, which is of course the best issue right now for the GOP.
Speaker 4: Genius in that sense.
Speaker 5: Sure, but I'm also like the gyp's going to want to have a response to that, because that's that goes beyond immigration on the substance of how to get where people.
Speaker 2: I first agree with you, that is an issue that literally all of our viewers care about.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean housing is the number one issue for I think for our viewers, but.
Speaker 5: Not just rental, like this question of being able to access the American dream by owning property and land and a home and then being able to you see this show up and polling of young people all the time is like being able to get married and start a family. So many people see that contingent on owning a home, and that's like, there's so many different things downstream of the housing question that people on the right, our friends have been talking about for a really long time.
Speaker 4: How do we get more people to own homes? A lot of people say, you just got to build, build.
Speaker 5: Build, So it's the answer has to there has to be a substantive answer as opposed to a rebuttal. The rebuttal, I think you're right, there's a really smart way to go about it. But you can't just distract. You have to also offer a solution.
Speaker 2: Right now, The only retort I've had is well, if you deport all the illegals, then the price, the amount of housing supply will go up.
Speaker 4: And I was like, well, you know, right, except but then I mean, can a build it?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: What American could build it?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: Really? They don't take any money, they don't like money. I mean, you're proposing to you're proposing to a housing subsidy. Why why can't I go to them? I don't see the issue.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, Democrats have sold out on this issue. There's no chance that they're giving this subsidy to undocumented him. Okay, that's just not happening.
Speaker 2: You can rep the undocumented here on the show.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not absolutely not happened because you need the documents to file your taxes to get the subsidies. So it's not happening. But also, yes, like more housing is good.
Speaker 2: No, I agree. I actually thought it was the everyone was focusing on the pricing thing. Everyone's also focusing on the CTC. The housing one is the one that popped me your because I know from when we do segments here on the show, it's the number one issue that we cover, which is totally uncovered by mainstream. Always does incredibly well because people are like, yeah, you know what, it's bullshit. Me and my husband, we just got married. We had enough for a down payment. Now the interest rates are up and the prices are still high. We can't afford it, you know, and the mortgage payment is like triple or whatever what we had a budgeted in our take home pay. It's impossible. The more you start to look at that, I'm like, you know that to me, if they could get some money behind an ad campaign or anything like that even just talk I think about the issue very very intelligent, and to me, I think was actually it might be one of the more popular elements of what she proposed, and I had not. The only GOP response I'd seen was on immigration.
Speaker 5: And you know, we're going to talk about the protests in just a bit. But when you're struggling, potentially you have this potential challenge in front of you with young voters. These are people that are our age, right, it's squarely in our demographic. This is their number one issue. Basically, it's student loan debt, and it's housing. And when you can come with a twenty five thousand dollars credit for first time home buyers, I think it's really brilliant. And it's forcing Republicans to explain what they're going to do, which is likely. I mean, it's like healthcare, right, It's like saying I'm for Medicare for all and then having Republicans be like, well, I'm for this patch of deregulation.
Speaker 4: You can't explain it in a way.
Speaker 5: That is politically viable or politically superior to the average voter, because it just it's a it's a pretty big solution for a lot of people's problems.
Speaker 3: What you hear as a counter is that, oh, well, this is useless because it will just raise the price of housing by twenty five thousand dollars. But you have to remember that not every buyer is a first time home buyer. Yes, so it economically speaking, the math should work out that it actually does. For houses that are in the first time home buyer range, it should increase the price by something, but not twenty five so some of it will some of the substy will be eaten up by price increase.
Speaker 2: Sefty is also work in different ways. If it's not a tax lot like it could they could apply it to moreage interest or there's a lot of different ways to implement well.
Speaker 4: And what does that do to supply? And it's just hard.
Speaker 2: They say, the increases supply what they had a home builder credit that was in there as well, So they're saying, look, I mean we'll see again. I think any of this stuff will will actually happened, probably not quickly.
Speaker 3: On Obamacare they're talking about so during the beginning of the pandemic, you had that, you know, basically the ACA was completely subsidized. It took what was a really crappy insurance program to a really great insurance program that also expired when they didn't include it in the IRA there and he's and now she's talking about bringing that subsidy back. And it's happening at the same time that Trump has been saying on the stumps, on his stump speech that he's not going to repeal the ACA that unless he's said, you know, you've sard you've seen the line he says, unless we come up with something better, and by better, I mean better for you, not for the government, so cheaper and better insurance, by which he means we're not coming up with anything better. So at minimum, you're going to get the ACA staying in place, and you may even get subsidies.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and put this one up on the screen. This is from Trump's Twitter account himself. It features a photos don't yeah, he's truly back.
Speaker 3: Don't threaten me with a good time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: Right, the red the what is it? The sickle and the hammer of communism, says Chicago. Basically, this aligns very much emily with the socialists and the communist attack that we've seen increasingly come from the GOP so I'm curious what you think of there, what do you think of the decision to go all in with this, because this actually came before price control debate, that's before that. That tweet actually went up before that. It was then followed up with and some of these press conferences and elsewhere.
Speaker 5: So I'm of two minds about this because on the one hand, obviously it depends on how you talk it. Like, you can do a lot of polling on things like Medicare for all and you can find massive public support for it. You phrase it a little differently, you can find massive, massive public support against it. So this socialism as a political football or communism as a political football, it always depends on the framing because it's not just cut and dry. You know, you call someone a socialist and it's all over. But Republicans do feel like with suburban women in particular, in past elections, recent election cycles, they've felt that it is really powerful to be able to tie Democrats to socialism. And Trump is going full communism, threatening Ryan with a good time over here. But seriously, I think there's as cringe and boomeery as that looked. I actually do think that if they frame it better throughout the next several months, and they're running those ads tying Kamala Harris to communism, socialism in suburban Philadelphia or you know, suburban Detroit, whatever, We're they're competing over fractions here. This is an election of fractions, just like sixteen and twenty, and it's an electoral college election. And so if you're playing tug of war over socialism and Republicans are doing a job that frames it.
Speaker 4: Again, we're just.
Speaker 5: Talking about politics, we're not talking about the substance. But if you're framing it in a way that successfully fearmongers, it can really work.
Speaker 4: I think those attacks work. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm curious what Ryan thinks about that, because you get people on the left to say, you know, we pull Medicare for all, it's super popular. We pull forgiving college debt super popular. And then sometimes when those policies trickle into the real world, Republicans have make successful attacks, and student loan debt is a really good example of that.
Speaker 3: I think the only thing that sticks to Democrats is we're going to raise They're going to raise your taxes. I don't think that. I don't think anything on the other side hurts them. I don't think that anything, even even if you call it price controls, these subsidies, all that, to the extent that it can hurt them, it's only because it makes people think, oh wait, somebody's going to have to get taxed to pay for that. And Trump he cut my taxes. Democrats I think they like to raise taxes. But overall, I don't think the communism thing is going to land at all. I mean we also, like we mentioned Roe v. Wade earlier, that's still an overriding issue.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's be clear, we're debating things on the merits where they stand. Let's like immigration and abortion are the two most important issues of where we're actually very divided. Economy is like number three that's within that framework is kind of where I'm thinking.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it's number three for vota priorities. It's just that it's more of a mixed bag. So I was explaining this today actually here the dog Walk podcast presented by Barsol Sports, where people should go subscribe to, and they're like, well, what do you think about this election? They're like, do you think this could become a class based election? And I was like, no, and I was like, and I wish it weren't that way, But why are we the absolute most divided? Immigration and abortion? Those are genuinely, in my opinion, like irreconcilable question. It's like somebody has to win. We're either going to have a ton of illegal immigrants who continue to come in every year or we're not. We're either going to kick them out or we're not. That is an irreconcilable question of which we have to decide. Are we gonna have a border wall or not? Abortion? Are we going to be pro choice or are we not going to be pro choice? Like are we gonna allow Alabama and all these other states to have this? Or are we gonna allow Trump to come in? And what is it? Are you for it? Whatever? That the myth press restone like is that legal or is it not legal? That is an irreconcilable political question. On the economic ones, it's a little bit less right. So now we have candidates talking about both kind of endorse the CTC, Yes, the tax rate and all of that. But a lesson I really internalized Ryan from twenty twenty two is that you know, the economy can be bad, and look, it was way worse than than it is now, and people will still just be like, I don't care. I care way more about abortion and whether the tail end of that can continue through today. I actually have no idea what that is, but I still think that those two cultural issues, the reason that they'll be more determinative is they're just so much more likely to get somebody to come out to vote. Like, if you're a Republican, you hate the immigrant the border situation, you got to you gotta crawl over broken glass. If you're a Democrat, you know, and you are just pissed off, or especially if you're an Arizona, Texas somewhere like that, you better come out to vote. You be an idiot, frankly not to go out to vote, because if that's your number one issue, Like, yeah, there's a one party that's actually the one thing that they actually kind of want to do, it could do if they got into power. So it just seems so determinative.
Speaker 3: Of you people, And I think that's because people have lost faith, for the most part, in our political system to solve economic problems.
Speaker 2: That's very true.
Speaker 3: People on the margins believe it, but in general, the typical voters like eh, so therefore, what can a politician do. And a politician can, as they've shown, can ban abortion, or they can legalize abortion. They can build a wall. They cannot build a wall. Democrats are trying to completely capitulate on immigration to take to take that away from Republicans as much as they can. The other thing they can do is they can they can mess with taxes and so if that and so if you're super rich, we're pretty rich, and you don't care about or are against abortion rights, then the Republican Party is still that's still your party, right, But for the kind of upper middle class and middle class Democrats who are like I don't like paying a whole lot of taxes, but I don't like to admit that among my liberal friends, and I support abortion right, some voting for the Democrats.
Speaker 2: But the Dems also bottom off. What are the they did is they're like, well, everyone down four hundred two fifty. Now that was four hundred that's a lot of money, Okay, four hundred thousand dollars, I mean, what is that the top? That means all the time you're losing like five percent or two I mean, that's crazy, Like ninety eight percent of the country doesn't make for it. And so the question is has that trickled down culturally to people who are like, Okay, Democrats actually aren't going to raise taxes on me, And.
Speaker 3: It may have trickled down by now, well I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, it's been years now. Of the four hundred thousand members ahead.
Speaker 5: That Trump post looks like a boomer email obviously like that basically what it looks like. But I don't know producer Mac if it's possible to get a one backup on the screen. They the Democrats, Republicans did this as well. It's like a typical convention thing, but put one of their nights is listed for fighting for our freedoms. That's the the Yeah Wednesday a fight for our freedom. So you have Tim Waltz speaking, Bill Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, and Pete Budah Judge. So that is certainly going to be a night where there's a lot of conversation about abortion. And that's clearly I think it's very clearly a winning issue for Democrats in places there Michigan where you're fighting for especially suburban women. But that's also the same demographic that Republicans think they can win over. With this tug of war over socialism, and so communism might not even be as potent as socialism because it feels less believable with Kamala Harris for a lot of people, because Kamala Harris has come out now capitulated on immigration. She has come out and said, you know, she's going to do. What's another good example, there's immigration shit fracking. Yeah, that's a great example. Another fantastic examples.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 2: The thing is with those two is again is that if you look at the word clouds we commissioned at breaking point incompetent is number one. I don't think that the socialism communism stuff. I don't think it hits. They call everybody socialist, they call everybody communist, just like liberals always call Republicans fascist. It's like, why should I believe you, you know if if Romney is just as much of a fascist as Trump, like, you're an idiot.
Speaker 3: I think you're talking of skepticism. And government plays into that too because they might think, we, you know what, maybe she is actually personally a socialist, her dad was Marxist. Anything but a bunch of liars.
Speaker 5: Well remember and that didn't it didn't work. It did not work on Obama. And so I think if someone is an outspoken democratic socialist and Alexandria Costio Cortez or in ilhan Omar, then Republicans will try to tie Democrats to this person who is openly says that they espouse democratic socialism, and that I do think Worksmala Harris Jarney.
Speaker 3: Was like neck and neck and head to heads with Trump calling himself a socialist.
Speaker 4: But it's still a fractional.
Speaker 5: You can still get those votes to turn the election just a tiny little bit in the electoral call.
Speaker 2: Art of my frustration here is incompetence is sitting there waiting a flip flop. That is all I'm talking about. You like the lady who you know, how many clips did we play on what was it our Monday show Mac where we're talking about immigration, right, and we had clips that juxtaposed her new border ad as opposed to how she used to talk. I'm like, get out of here, lady. I don't believe a single word that you say here. Yeah, on the border. And actually, if we look and we think about some of those attacks that score the highest against Kamala, the borders are attack is number one, and I think it should be, because I'm like, lady, you recalled the borders are under your administration, there were eight to ten million illegal immigrants who entered this country. Do you stand by that or not? Is that something you would change? Yes or no? Now she says yes, now when she's the presidential candidate. I'm like, Okay, I don't think that makes a lot of sense here. So the incompetent and the flip flop line just seems so much more potent to me because that is something that both leftists and people on the right and even like independence that can all agree with that was incompetent? Was it big one even amongst Democrats?
Speaker 4: I think it's a more powerful one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is powerful. But her opponent is Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but nobody cares.
Speaker 3: He has been. He has been and he's been president, and competence would not be the big buzz word that you associate with that four.
Speaker 5: Year But the Trump, the Trump sort of nostalgia. What are democrats referring it to Trump nostalgia? Actually a lot of people would probably read into him foreign policy wise and economic wise, more competence because whether it's rose colored lenses or what, there are a lot of voters who felt like they were better off economically and in terms of national security under Donald Trump. I don't know how popular or how powerful that is.
Speaker 2: Well, I did see that too, I saw I would think it was a Fox News interview. I was just looking for it now where they asked JD about the plan to whatever get prices in control, and he's like, President Trump was already president. It's like, he's already you know, he got prices under control, that he'll return everything back to to that. And I was like, well, you know, even if it's not true or not, that's actually quite smart.
Speaker 4: It's a real thing.
Speaker 2: That's a real thing. Yeah, it's the real thing that people feel they're like when Trump was president, gas was ex groceries, Werek, Why now Biden is president and it's not I feel like he didn't do anything about that. Now Kamala who is literally his vice president, says she wants to do something four years later, Like do I really credibly think that. I'm not so sure. I mean, at the same time, you know, this is where the Trump nostalgia on foreign policy, on an economic policy, that's probably where he's the biggest beneficiary of. And I mean if I'm thinking to the Trump attacks, like the attacks that Kamala and them have used on Trump more recently, it is very much like a roll your eyes and avoid the chaos. And I think that again, to give them credit, I think that's smart instead of buying into the concern trolling of like our children are watching and.
Speaker 4: Can you believe what he said this time.
Speaker 2: It's very much like, okay, whatever, we've seen this movie before. Let's beat him at the ballot box in November and to make it like a bigger thing again. I think that is smart coming from the Democrats right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's right. And the weird kind of counter fits into that in that because when you're calling somebody weird, you're not condemning them, you're not even you're not passing kind of moral judgment necessarily, you're just saying kind of weird, like just not my That's that's not how I would do it. You know, Trump, you do you, jd Vance, you do you. But strikes me as a bit weird, and it doesn't come off as preachy in the way that set the such a terrible tone for the Hillary campaign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. The preachiness from the Hillary people was I think the single biggest.
Speaker 5: But I do think Democrats, though, are feeling so confident with Kamala Harris that they have slipped into that a couple of times. And it's too early to say whether it becomes a dominant tone of the campaign. But Ryan has an example right here. Ryan's new hat.
Speaker 3: Rocking my new hat from Emily's list. But I thought you embroidered that because if you can't read it says unburdened, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, and that he's got it on.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: There are times where I do think because of that level of confidence in the honeymoon, which I also think this will extend it. I think you'll see cracks in the honeymoon start to show up after Labor Day because the sugar high can.
Speaker 4: Only last so long. When Kamala Harris is the nominee.
Speaker 5: It's not to say she's not still a much much, much better candidate than Joe Biden, and the media is still going to bat for her hard, but it's just natural. It's the up and down of politics, and so when that happens, we will see how Democrats react. Do they react by doubling down in a twenty sixteen esque way that goes into those commercials with the children watching Donald Trump swhere who knows, which is just not effective.
Speaker 2: Well, don't forget about this. The next presidential debate, the first debate is actually going to take place on September tenth, so it's only twenty days or so away. So we're going to go through this week of the DNC. You get the sugar high, then you get about a week where they're both going to define each other, and then they're both on a stage and you know, we're now actually that's real game on, Like that's game time, And the real question is can she withstand the Trump performance? Like what does it look like with Donald Trump on the stage with Kamala? Genuinely nobody knows this because this Kamala, who are you?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What do you believe? Are you more confident? I think she has been. Actually she's a lot more confident because she didn't actually have to win the nomination.
Speaker 4: Yees.
Speaker 2: I mean I think honestly, if I were I'd be pretty confident too. Right if somebody was like, hey, you went from like you were, you know, a number two, you're loyal, now you're number one. You don't even have to fight for it? Ye, we got you. Here's your campaign. Here's a couple hundred fasts. I mean like I want to have to do this for one hundred days. I don't have to leave my house for two years and all of this I could be president. I mean that sounds pretty cool, right, I would be flying high.
Speaker 3: And there's the salor. The Sarah Palin playbook of debate performance was you know, they said, okay, they did the math. They were like, we need twenty two minutes. Yes, that's right, of sound bites that are going to get clipped because it turns out that people don't actually like an incredible rejoinder. You know, you've got your viral moment right there. But doesn't need to be that. It can just be saying something mean about the other person in a clever way, ye, completely unprompted and not even answering the question. So all she has to do is have, like, let's say, forty five minutes if it's a long debate of canned proscatorial arguments that she's going to dish it at Trump, and then she has to deliver them. And we know that she can do that. In short form. She did that little bust thing to Joe Biden. Remember that one was that I was that little girl. Yeah, yeah, didn't actually make a whole lot of sense because it wasn't didn't fit the busting policy. Whatever, it doesn't doesn't matter. It sounded like a good quip and it landed and it worked for her in that in that moment too.
Speaker 2: And this is the biggest problem is that Biden, you know, gave a once in a century performance. We actually melted down, like immediately in the first ten minutes. But most people the reason that debates traditionally don't matter is if you were a politician of any reasonable talent surviving for forty five minutes actually less with commercial breaks, you can do it. Just platitude your way through whatever and then let the k hie.
Speaker 4: He did it in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Trump did that in twenty twenty. It was fine. Biden did that in twenty twenty. It was fine. I mean Hillary, like she gave what is the pundits all said, Hillary won all three Guess what? Trump still won the election. Okay, because it's not that hard. It's not that difficult actually to get through.
Speaker 4: I mean he went off to be clear.
Speaker 2: My favorite YEA moment is yeah, you'd be in jail.
Speaker 3: That's that's all.
Speaker 2: Time, top tier, you would be in jail. That's as good as it gets. But yeah, in general, I think what we can just say is the Trump campaigns having difficulty defining Kamala Harris going into this. Uh, they are trying to do counter programming. It's not really working. They're going to be all over you know, press, but everybody's here, you know, people are rightfully I think, covering Biden, covering the DNC, what's going to happen, and then how they define her in that one to two week period afterwards and then leading into the debate. That's the key stretch. So I really think, guys that the election begins this after this week. That's like the real general election. Yea, let's see where the like she's gonna get her sugar high. They've got two weeks there right before that debate, and then the debate is like, fully, that's the sprint all.
Speaker 3: The way to a life.
Speaker 4: I agree with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and start starting basically head to head or maybe with Harris behind where she needs to be like because she needs to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's Trump. I mean, yeah, like we said forty seven percent chance I mean that's high. Honestly, I would take that bed for Trump, like I think that's underestimating Trump. And I still think he's got fifty. Like fifty, it's coin toss, but if you put a gun to my head, I still think you would win. We have some video from Chicago. This actually happened last night as all of us were getting in. So our producer Mac is going to go ahead and queue that up. But there was an event. I think it was a Grant Park, is that right? There's an event here here in Chicago, and the event was like a DNC type thing, and there was a stage where protesters actually were able to get up on the stage and actually grab the microphone and began shouting to the crowd. So Matt, can we queue that up please, and we'll play it for everybody. Let's take a listen you okay? Yeah, so you can see they're taking the stage there. And then our very own Emily actually here on the ground, had an interview with a protester. Matt, can we go and queue that up and I will toss to it. But Emily, before we get to that, just tell us about what it was like to walk with some of those protesters. Things are kicking off a little bit right now too. What did you see when you were there?
Speaker 4: Well, obviously we're at the d NC. You guys made me go talk.
Speaker 3: To the press like a.
Speaker 4: Leftist, and I was like, this is how I always dressed down there?
Speaker 2: Would they would love?
Speaker 4: There were there were people. Yeah, I met a couple of breakers in the wild and shout out.
Speaker 5: But you know, I talked to a handful of people who were there at the protest. It was big, but scattered so on a couple of baseball fields in Union Park here in Chicago. And one of the questions that I wanted to put to protesters is are you with Kamala Harris or are you uncommitted? And talk to one woman who said she was voting for Kamala but she was kind of nervous to say that to be honest, and was like intentionally on the outskirts of the protests. Yeah, yeah, right, And I did though this was a big takeaway from me. I talked to a few people who said they would genuinely support voting for Kamala Harris if a ceasefire negotiation is reached. If there's a ceasefire agreement, that is reached by the Biden Harris administration that that would legitimately perhaps send them out to vote for Kamala Harris. Now, to be fair, this is a crowd of people who are are pretty hard left. You know, there's some Antifa type elements in the crowd mixing in with the crowd.
Speaker 4: There's people from.
Speaker 5: The usual Democratic protest groups that go to all of these types of events. But even so, when a potential ceasefire is what brings in this fractional election where there's tug of war over all of these different fractional groups of voters in states like Michigan, there are people from outside of Chicago here, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania. When that's what you're doing in this tug of war young voters in particular, that's it's possible that uh and we were just about to talk about that.
Speaker 2: Let's take let's take a listen then to this video that Emily shot with a protester.
Speaker 5: How are you gonna support Kamala Harris?
Speaker 4: You, I'm committed.
Speaker 1: She's not getting my vote unless she can permanently cease fire and GUS and stop sending UH weapons to kill innocent children and babies.
Speaker 5: So and I talked to a few people who had the exact same perspective, said, you know, I'm I will legitimately consider voting for the Biden Hairs ticket or I sound like the dumb platform, which also we should note began with the land acknowledgment.
Speaker 2: Oh did it really important?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: So but there were there were a handful of people who said, you know, even in this hard this crowd of like genuine leftists who said they would vote for the Harris ticket if there's a ceasefire agreement.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Ryan, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Right? So the question then becomes and also but think yeah, to your point this is these are the committed folks right who there will be a bigger rally tomorrow. But thousand, two thousand people out there, you think yeah, And it's building to the organizers trying to say fifteen thousands.
Speaker 2: Didn't see that, but there definitely was not fifty.
Speaker 3: But these these are the hardcore folks. So if even those folks are like, you know, I'm open to voting for that suggest that there's a real opening there. And the news out of out of Doha in these negotiations is that so that Netyah, who had been demanding two key things, IDF control of the Philadelphia Corridor, which is the area in Rafa, the border between Egypt and Gaza. And then another checkpoint, IDF control of Netserene Corridor, which would divide North Gaza from South Gaza, which is just utterly insane, like they're not agreeing to like turning it into another into that, And so he has since net Ya, who was backed away from the Netzerene Corridor in exchange for a small but somewhat regulated IDF presence in the Philadelphia Corridor in that border, so it's possible that Hamas could agree to that, and since Netya who's already presented it, it's difficult for him to them back out if they say, you know what, we'll take that. We'll see. Like optimism towards the ceasefire is for suckers, like it's it's been a fool's game the entire time, But it does seem like everyone has an incentive to reach a deal at this point, especially with the Ron saying we won't retaliate.
Speaker 2: Can you can you just expand a bit though on a tweet that you put out today, he said, the whole Israel portion is a huge slap in the face, too uncommitted talk to us about them.
Speaker 5: By the way, we should just we should have a section in every show dedicated to making Ryan holding him accountable for his.
Speaker 2: Own tweets as long as you don't hold me accountable.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the so the the platform was released today and you can find it on my twitter feed. I have a link to it there. Starts on pay The Israel Palestine part starts on page eighty three and it reads as if a pac wrote it. Really yeah, interesting this part that jumped out at me. Here They basically they have a one sided condemnation of conflict related sexual violence aimed only at Hamas, which is taking now this like he's done a couple of weeks ago, but still it's now being published in the context of the Kanesset having an open debate about whether the acknowledged rape of Palestinian detainees is legally okay or not right, not a question whether it happened, but whether it actually is okay and good that it was done in that context. To only call out Hamas is a huge lap in the face. But separate from that, it just goes on and says that you know, the Palestinians are the ones who don't care about a two state solution. In the context of the Israeli government explicitly, legally, officially repeatedly saying they do not support a two state solution, the DNC platform says it's the Palestinians that are the obstacle to a two state solution, and it just bashes Iran for like two pages.
Speaker 2: But then what's up with the protesters, right, because, like you just said, Dave Weigel, who we may be able to get on the show at some point this week, said that, you know, the protest organizers were like, oh, we're gonna have thirty forty thousand people. There's nothing close to I've seen it.
Speaker 5: Close to one hundred reports saying I'm expecting close to one hundred thousand people.
Speaker 2: We're all here in Chicago. None of us have seen any of that.
Speaker 3: We'll see what we'll do.
Speaker 2: Let's see what happens tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Cops everywhere, well, there are cops literally everywhere.
Speaker 5: This is actually one of the things that I want to bring up. I think you know, when you go to these types of events, as we all have in the past, and you cover them, you can feel if there's an air of tension. Yeah, and that's definitely not what I felt today, the kids in strollers, t shirts being sold, all of that. I will say, though, to the point Ryan's making about the platform, this is going to be something that speakers, you know, have to confront or one in one way or the other. It's going to be a question that they're confronted with by delegates in the hallways. And those videos are going to go viral. It's going to be happening in all week. And I do wonder if building up to Kamala Harris's speech, the tension starts.
Speaker 4: To build as well.
Speaker 5: Point as more and more people are coming for different days of protests. And maybe Brian, you even have some knowledge of what these organizers are doing and planning for. But I get the sense it's possible that you know right now there's not a lot of tension. Tension could build as people interact with cops throughout the week. This city is blanketed with law enforcement. You guys have all probably noticed that blanketed with law enforcement.
Speaker 2: If every street corner, it's like New York in the old days, like it's literally five gods.
Speaker 5: So frustration builds tension can build, and everyone knows the main address this week is happening on Thursday, so it's possible to me that some of this accumulates throughout the week.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Brian, Yeah, and the handful of people are I know are trying to organize a floor protest with.
Speaker 2: That will be interesting. We'll be down on the floor for that. So everyone stated that. One thing, just for programming wise, we're doing these before the main events, and then every day after we will summarize previous give our reaction and also preview a little bit of what's coming. The reason we're doing it that way is so that we can actually we have our passes to be on the floor, so that we can be there, which is when it's going down.
Speaker 4: That's when stuff happened.
Speaker 2: That's when stuff is happening, like not only the speeches, but like what you just said. I mean, if we see some floor protests, uncommitted protests and all that, we'll be able to report what that was like, you know, to be there and that'll be really interesting actually.
Speaker 3: But we'll see. I think if they pull it off, I think I'd be really small and you know, the uncommitted leadership has You know a lot of operatives who are also Democrats, like they are. I'm not saying they're not deeply committed to the cause, but they're also Democrats and they don't want to see Trump elected. So they're caught between their own personal politics and also you know, the demands of a lot of them to say, don't support the Democrats at all.
Speaker 5: Is it possible we think that, I mean, this is appropriately cynical that the Biden administration is leaking reports of proximity to a cease fire this week that are way more favorable than reality in order to sort of stanch some.
Speaker 3: Of the They couldn't get Yahoo do well, actually they could. They can absolutely get to do anything they want. They just have refused up until this point. So it is also possible that the uncommitted pressure is driving the Biden Harris administration to pressure net Yahoo in a way that they've completely refused to.
Speaker 5: But but what about even in the bottle of public relations where we saw that Barack ravied scoop last week? You know what is it are they trying to frame this as being way closer? Because when I'm out there talking to these protesters, that's really on their mind is if there's a ceasefire that changes their mind about the ticket itself.
Speaker 4: Is interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean that's like some LVJ Vietnam stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If Humphrey nineteen sixty would have done would he almost certainly would have won.
Speaker 3: If Nixon and Kiss there hasn't trees in this league gone to the.
Speaker 2: V That's true, big news.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have to do. Nineteen people looked into it.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, I think, do we have anything.
Speaker 3: Else showed up? You know, by the way, Oh, that's right, we're supposed to put that up there.
Speaker 4: He made it, which you know, what can I just say? Yeah, so this is the picture bandon Harris, Wow, I like it.
Speaker 5: So this is really interesting to me because we could have had a be having a very different discussion about this entire convention and election at this point August twenty twenty four, if one of these third party candidates, be it Cornell West or I think RFK Junior are the two most likely to have launched a campaign into you know, above ten percent support, which what we're looking at now with RFK Junior post Biden dropping from the ticket, it's going down. I think in five thirty eight he's around like.
Speaker 4: Five point five.
Speaker 5: So it just this could have been a dramatically different convention along those sort of nineteen sixty eight lines, had someone like Cornell West really really got a campaign off the ground.
Speaker 2: This is barely Honestly, I'm disappointed for us because the whole reason that we decided, you know, budget wise, We're like, oh, we can only pick one, which one do we go? Do we go to the DNC because Biden is old, he's fading. You know, we're gonna have crazy protests for me to go. Yeah, well you get yeah, you decide.
Speaker 3: On your own.
Speaker 2: My marriage also got in the way because of uh. I was literally getting married the week of the RNC, so it made it a little bit easier. But I mean a lot of the chaos, it hasn't materialized yet. And I could be totally wrong. Like you said, things could build, things could happen, but the stage is not currently set at least I think for nineteen sixty eight. Now watch tomorrow will be the craziest day ever.
Speaker 3: We're like Trump, We're like Trump, we want to refund.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to refund.
Speaker 3: I want to talk to the manager.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, I was comrade, I was promised complete insanity, and I have not run into it yet, even though we've had the worst logistics of all time. I don't know. I'm gonna keep calling them out for that because I'm still pissed.
Speaker 4: Whe's my refund.
Speaker 5: But you know the the RNC, remember they closed the credentials at like six thirty pm.
Speaker 4: Anyway, it's it's it's always.
Speaker 2: I guess it's always like baked. Okay, anybody, thank you so much for bearing with us. Reminder, we've got that premium subscriber promo right now, one month free trial. What is it, d NC free all caps Breaking Points dot com. You get a one month free trial support our work, and you will also be able to participate tomorrow during our live stream. You'll be able to ask us questions and all that. Chris will be here in Chicago on Wednesday. We're going to give some exclusive benefits of being able to ask questions getting this stuff early as well, so don't worry about that. Otherwise, we've got to head over to the United Center to go to the actual convention floor, so we'll see you all tomorrow. Will recap President Biden's speech and give you all of our reaction as well as preview what Obama, Clinton and Kama. I'll have to say.
Speaker 3: We will be unburdened by what has been and.
Speaker 4: I can't tell you do a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true. Okay, we'll see you guys later