Speaker 1: Looking for a mortgage bank to help you make your next major mortgage move, whether it's a refi or home purchase, regardless of whether it's your first one or one of many, consider our friends at Stockton Mortgage, but don't just take our word for it.
Speaker 2: Stockton Mortgage has over seventy thousand five star reviews and counting, just like this review from Joshua, who says this about his experience with Stockton. They were super professional, always answered my questions I had, and streamlined the process. I could not ask for better people to help me and my family get our first house. I feel blessed to be able to go through them. Be like Joshua or the sixty nine nine hundred ninety nine others just like him, and get started with Stockton Mortgage today by going to Stockton dot com and get started. I've even used Stockton Mortgage myself on my own home loan. For your home loan needs, Stockton dot com and click get started. Stockton Mortgage MLS eight two five nine, Equal Housing Lender NMLS, Consumer Access dot Org.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now Here's Matt Jones quarterback.
Speaker 4: It is our number two here Kentucky Sports Radio Live.
Speaker 5: It's kas Bar and Grill. It is Wings Day.
Speaker 4: Come on out and join us Dollar Wings all day right here with us great crowd of folks here watching the day. Let's give a couple updates on some little things. First of all, UK baseball team yesterday beat Eastern sixteen to nothing, which I think is pretty good. The game today they were supposed to play again today here in Lexington. That game has gotten canceled due to it's supposed to be bad weather here apparently in a little while. So that game got canceled. But the UK baseball team is now what like eleven and one or something like, So, Drew, you've.
Speaker 5: Been seeing play a couple of times.
Speaker 4: I mean, they haven't played the hardest schedule, but do you think they're good?
Speaker 6: Well, I went to the two games where they scored like a combined thirty something runs. So in mys they're the best team to ever play baseball. But yeah, I'm still learning the personnel. I mean, outside of Berks and just a couple others, it is a brand new roster. But I think they have something we'll have to see when the competition picks up. I think they start SEC play next week at Georgia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the game they start SEC play, they'll actually get a hard schedule this year because they did well last year. So he's gonna get he's gonna get a test coming as he goes.
Speaker 7: They swept off to this last weekend. They've got another three game series with Monmouth. I believe it is who's coming in this weekend. Wafford Wafford. Yeah, Terriers tune up before they get into SEC play.
Speaker 4: Ellie day La Cruz is hitting four to seventy eight in the minor leagues. Matt McClean is hitting four forty three. Are you ready to join the Reds machine?
Speaker 6: I am not.
Speaker 7: I will I will take joy and ridicule you and you and the lady here in the Reds hat later in about a month.
Speaker 4: Don't listen to him. It's the summer of Elly. You can feel it in the air. Yesterday he had an opposite way triple. He never did that before. Like you just wait, next thing, You're not gonna Ellie's gonna be. Should we just calling the MVP, maybe even the Super Bowl MVP.
Speaker 6: I'm still running with the brave. We've got a new picture. He is Kenny Powers. I don't know if you have seen him.
Speaker 5: Nobody cares about that. We're talking about Ellie Day.
Speaker 6: In the playoff.
Speaker 5: This woman right here, she cares about Elie. Thank you very much.
Speaker 7: Both both got your red.
Speaker 4: Did any of you watch the State of the Union yelling and screaming and holding up signs. It was kind of an embarrassing display all the way around.
Speaker 7: What happened? Did some guy with a cane stand up? And when they had escorty mount or something?
Speaker 4: I mean for people like Mario's too young. When I was a kid, the State of the Union was supposed to be like a non political thing, like it was literally the.
Speaker 5: State of the Union.
Speaker 4: You got up to say what the state of the Union was, and so they would always go, the state of the Union is strong, and everybody would yeah, well now it's it's not that now whoever's president, it's a political speech.
Speaker 5: So it becomes a political rally.
Speaker 4: And then we started a few years ago with that one dude from South Carolina that yelled at Obama. Then last night this dude acted a fool and yelled at yelled at Trump. It's just I it's it's become it's become a joke, and I actually, I mean, it's in the Constitution that you have to do it, so they're gonna keep doing it. But I actually think they should stop doing it because it's just it's embarrassing. It's embarrassing, like it's become it's become like a political rally where the other side has to sit there and you all just end up yelling at each other. And I just think it's stupid.
Speaker 7: These are the leaders of our country and they're getting together their children acting like second graders.
Speaker 4: They are like they are children. I mean, I'm a Democrat, but like, what are you doing holding up signs like you're in a Brazilian steakhouse when you don't like stuff? Like just shut up? And and you know the Trumps up there talking about Biden. Biden's out, like you know, just these this used to be that used to be like.
Speaker 5: A dignified thing.
Speaker 4: The Supreme Supreme Court should stop coming they It's just it's stupid. It really annoys me because I I used to really like that. Now I haven't watched one year's but I did see the kicked the guy out. He just got up star yelling like you can't just get them to start yelling during the thing like this is not this is not you know, fancy farm, like it's it's the United States.
Speaker 5: It's Congress in the Senate.
Speaker 6: I did not see the State of the Union. But what you just describe sounds just like politics to me.
Speaker 5: That's the t But it is it's supposed to be.
Speaker 4: Like my mom used to always say, people need to rise to the occasion. Nobody rises to the occasion. Now everything is just an excuse to yell at each other. And I hate it.
Speaker 5: I do. I hate it.
Speaker 4: It's become a television show and that's not what it's supposed to be like.
Speaker 7: But you're right, you know, when we were younger it came on, you had to watch it because all the networks carried it. But we were at least it was some sort of respectful platform where they, you know, you got to find out what's going on with our country.
Speaker 4: It has become and I think if a lot of people are honest about this, they would agree it has become to where like we're getting to the point that we hate each other more than we do other places, Like we'd rather we'd rather score one on our fellow countrymen than like b unif it used to be what was the same politics stopped at the border, like we were all.
Speaker 5: On the same side after and that's changed. I hate it.
Speaker 4: So last night to me was a symbol of that. But yeah, that dude got up with a cane and just started shaking it like he was mister Burns screaming.
Speaker 6: Sounds like the circus that goes on every day unfortunately.
Speaker 4: And listen, I love older people, but like, we gotta like I looked at the crowd.
Speaker 5: I mean, my goodness, like, we gotta get some younger people. I just saw the story. It's really sad.
Speaker 4: But like there was this congress woman and she was like eighty four and she passed away, so they appointed somebody to pick her seat, and they pointed somebody like eighty two, and she just passed away too. Did they not think that somebody who died in office maybe get somebody younger than eighty.
Speaker 5: For the for the replacement.
Speaker 7: I'm a little leary if they're coming to me for that replacement, then they offer to I do.
Speaker 5: Think they're not gonna come to you. Actually, when the.
Speaker 7: They say, you said they need some younger people in kng in our government. You think you're one of them, Well, there's a seat opening here in Kentucky that maybe you might be interested in make a run at for what Mitch McConnell's plays.
Speaker 5: Shut up, Will you stop with that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: Kevin Boyle? Do you know who Kevin Boyle is? It seems like I know that name anybody? Does anybody in here know who Kevin Boyle is? It's a good chance.
Speaker 4: Kevin Boyle is the best high school basketball coach in the country. He coaches Monte Verde Academy, and he coached Cooper Flagg. He coached Liam mcne He's put something like forty five dudes in the NBA or in college basketball at the Power Conference in the last fourteen years.
Speaker 5: He is very.
Speaker 4: Close with Mark Pope, even though they actually I don't know if he's sent him a player.
Speaker 5: They are friends his assistants.
Speaker 4: I think Alvin Brooks, one of our assistants, is like in it with all those guys. Here's why I'm bringing it up. He's coached Monte Verdy Academy for fourteen years in Florida. He is taking a new job at a new school just north of Cincinnati. Basically he's trying to make the best prep school for basketball in America just north of Cincinnati. And apparently whoever's funding this school is putting all this money into it now that you can do nil. I think they're trying to make it like it's, you know, a college basketball team in high school.
Speaker 5: Why should you care about that?
Speaker 4: I can't imagine, Drew, it's bad for Kentucky basketball. If the best high school players in America are just gonna be playing just an hour a north of us in Cincinnati, I would think that would probably be pretty good easy to get him on campus.
Speaker 6: I think that's some pretty good news for Kidduck. I think that's great news. That's a place that just puts out, you know, big time recruits. Several big NBA names went to that school. So if you're gonna tell me he's moving his operations to just across the river, that absolutely helps Kentucky get some of these guys.
Speaker 4: I mean, Florida's not terribly far, but but if you can make it to where you just get in a car and you can come to RUP, those dudes may be coming to a ton of our games. I mean, I think you're good. I can't I just think having you know, he had like four of the top twenty players in America last year. Having four of the top twenty players in America, you know, able to meet me at a Reds game, I think is probably a pretty good thing, right.
Speaker 7: And at the coach Hardy has a great relationship with Brooks and Pope and our coaching staff. Absolutely, his players were down here for practices, games, big blue white games, everything, pro day. They'll be down here all the time.
Speaker 4: There was a moment last year where I thought the last assistance job at Kentucky might.
Speaker 5: Have gone to him.
Speaker 4: That ended up not, but there was a moment that I thought he might be the last assistant. So I think that's actually a small piece of news, but really good news for Kentucky.
Speaker 6: And I like this situation being better than assistant him just packing up and being a little over an hour away.
Speaker 5: Totally agree with you.
Speaker 6: I think we got Dakari from there. I'm trying to think of Kentucky players right. For some reason, that one pops in my head. But there's a lot of big names that have come through that.
Speaker 4: And then finally the SEC basically they had these meetings. It looked like we were gonna go to a nine team schedule. Nine game SEC schedule didn't happen. Greg Sankie basically said this, if they expand the playoff, we're going to nine games.
Speaker 5: If we don't expand the playoff, we're not. Which would you prefer.
Speaker 7: Just for Kentucky's sake, I prefer not to go to nine SEC games.
Speaker 5: I mean, but we have a better chance the playoff if they expand it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would probably even like Mark, he said after they played those ten SEC games in the COVID year, he goes, my goodness, that was the roughest schedule I've ever seen in my life. I hadn't played ten SEC games all. I would vote for an eight.
Speaker 4: By the way, people have asked me about having Mark Stoops on the show. I think we're gonna have that next week before the SEC Tournament. We were working to have it tomorrow, but then we got they can't do it here, and we got Owen County High School coming tomorrow and so I need to be here. So we've pushed off to It'll probably be early next week. Part of it depends on when Kentucky ends up playing in the SEC Tournament, but will probably Drew be able to finally have that Mark Stoops interview, and I'm gonna tell you when we have it, I look forward to talking to him. I haven't really spoken to him since the end of the year, except for two minutes on the phone, But I do plan on sort of asking a lot of the questions that fans want asked. I give him credit for wanting to come on, but you know, there's some stuff we.
Speaker 5: Have to ask, right.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, we want him a little sooner. But they had a busy offseason. I guess I had his ankle surgery, been traveling, you know, full time with that job. Now he just did a press conference last week, so he's starting to get back in the flow and doing media interviews, which I think he really needs to do for a springball starts here in a few weeks.
Speaker 4: How do you think if you were being Mark Stoops's pr head A serious question, Ryan, what would you tell him to do between now and the start of the season, Like, is there anything he can do to get this fan base excited next year? Or is there nothing he can do? And everybody's gonna be like you when you were like, I don't know, there's some.
Speaker 7: Certain things he needs to say for me, if you're talking about you know.
Speaker 5: Let's say you were here, what would you tell him.
Speaker 7: He needs to say, you need to own up to every bad thing that's happened, and don't try to make excuses for it. You know, was last year was a bad year. You haven't won an SEC one SEC football home game in two years. You got to own up to that.
Speaker 4: And you can't say, I'm not trying to make an excuse, but and then make an excuse one hundred which is one of the things I love him, but that's one of the things he does. I'm not making an excuse followed by an excuse, So like that needs to not have what else?
Speaker 7: And I want to hear him tell me that it's not gonna happen again, you know, and we're gonna change, We're gonna get better. I want to he's good at that too. He can make us believe as a fan base everything he says about what he's doing for the program. Just don't make excuses why things didn't happen.
Speaker 6: He's already kind of addressed that they let the culture sleep slip a little bit. But I'd almost need him to give me examples of what is change that's gonna keep it for having me again, whether it be if you're late for practice, this happens, or you know, I don't know what made it lead to what it was, but I need to see some actual or hear's some things they're actively doing to make sure it's improving.
Speaker 4: I think the more I talk to people about last year, and this includes people who are very strong Stoops loyalists, which honestly, I think almost everyone that works at UK in the football department is a strong Stoops loyalist. But the more I heard about it, the more I think the culture just collapsed last year.
Speaker 5: It did.
Speaker 4: I think it had been slipping for a couple of years. I think it collapsed last year. I think off the field, and I don't mean guys getting in trouble. I just mean like work ethic practice, this thing that he had built that that was really the strength of the program. He They let last year Ryan collapse and they're gonna have to build it back quick.
Speaker 7: And I want to hear him say that and admit that tell me that there were gonna make changes. It doesn't matter if you're one of the star players or if you're a walk on. You're all gonna get treated the exact same. You have to attend workout, you have to attend film sessions, you have to attend practice. Everything has to be in.
Speaker 4: One of the good things about the portal and about being able to switch the entire staff or excuse me, entire players, is if you had bad culture, it can get out right. If you don't have the portal, you can't necessarily even do that.
Speaker 6: And one thing I think he has already said that they're doing this year. In years past, when he said people would come in from the portal, they didn't want them to come over and just be leaders. Even Will Levis stayed quiet for a while. They wanted to keep the returning guys.
Speaker 5: Of the leaders in the locker anymore.
Speaker 6: This year he's pretty much said, the guys in the portal so old. I got married guys. They're coming in and I'm telling them, this is your locker room. I'm sorry to the ones over here last year. But he's letting some of the new guys go ahead and lead right away.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: Uh DraftKings, by the way, you know our friend here on KSR barstool, big Cat, he is eleven to zero in his picks in March, one of which was the Kentucky game. Last night he had the Kentucky LSU over, and if you saw how bad LSU is playing at the beginning, you would have thought there's no way there's an over. And then Trent Noah hit a layup with twenty seconds to go to hit the over to help him be eleven. And oh, you can follow his picks or ours which have been okay, but you can go to DraftKings Sports Book use a promo code KSR bet five with one hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 5: I think I don't think.
Speaker 4: I think he's speaking one to night as well, maybe to go twelve to zero. So go to DraftKings. The crown is yours. If you have a game in problem called one hundred game or eighteen plus Kentucky only helge bar sting spply and because it was only bonepits fire one hundred sixty eight hours of treasuance for traditional terms, Responsible gaming resources, cdkang dot Co, slash Audio.
Speaker 5: We'll take a break and be right back to Kentucky Sports Radio Quarterback.
Speaker 4: It is Kentucky Sports Radio A five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven here at the chs bar and grill. Text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four k Y Sports Radio region the regional tournaments. Anything important happened? You're my high school basketball Officianado.
Speaker 7: Well, I was kind of tied up with the Kentucky game last night, but I know Frederick Douglas beat Madison Central. So now they play Lexton Catholic in the semifinals and Great Crossing is going to play Branch Station.
Speaker 4: I think mal Chaimarno our future big man. I think he had a really good game last night. I saw ESPN recruits tweeted about his game. He had like eighteen and fifteen or something.
Speaker 7: He's he's really, i mean really been playing great this last month. Like he has stepped up his game, double doubles all the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, he's he's been. He's been excellent.
Speaker 4: One person rights, Matt, I'd like each of you to pick outside of Auburn Duke in Houston, the one team you would want to play the least in the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 7: Well, we discussed this not long ago where we think we all picked Houston would be the.
Speaker 4: One outside of Auburn Duke in Houston Oh, I didn't catch that. Yeah, you didn't catch the last thing I said. Outside of Auburn Duke in Houston. What would be the team that you would want to play the least?
Speaker 3: Saint John's Right now? For me, that's a Good Johns. I don't want to see on that team now. I think they are on a roll right now. They can't shoot the ball very well, but they're good defenders. I think that would be a real problem for us.
Speaker 5: I'm okay with Saint John's.
Speaker 4: I feel like the teams we've played this year that their strength is defense, dree that's been our We've actually done all right against those teams. I think we struggle with these teams that can score a lot. So I actually would want to stay away from in the NCAA tournament like Alabama because I just think it's gonna be hard.
Speaker 5: I just don't know.
Speaker 4: If I don't know the group that we have, we can just I don't think we can score enough points. Whereas when we've played at Tennessee. We've actually played Tennessee. To me, is the team in the SEC most like Saint John's and we've actually played them pretty well?
Speaker 5: What about you?
Speaker 6: I was actually leaning towards Florida, even though we already beat them. They scored a ton of points and that was in Repperina's best atmosphere of the season. So I think a rematch with that, I don't know if it go as well as for Kentucky.
Speaker 5: I what about you?
Speaker 7: I would probably say Alabama because their dudes are just better than our dudes. We played pretty well against them, and still they beat us twice.
Speaker 4: I think we've played well against him twice and won neither time. Yeah, and they beat us both times in completely different ways. They beat us the first time on the boards and kind of killing us inside, and then they beat us the second time on the outside. I just maybe we can beat Alabama, but I don't know. I think that's gonna be. We just gotta hope that if we're gonna beat them, they got to be ice cold.
Speaker 6: Winn or lose playing Alabama again. I just can't watch Mark Series play basketball.
Speaker 7: It wasn't just our.
Speaker 6: Game against Tennessee the other day. He just he throws that head back and they bowl the whistle every time. He's so good at acting and getting that kind of Trey flock to Trey Young, just throw my body back.
Speaker 4: Can we give a shout out to the officials last night for having a game to win an hour in forty five minutes and calling any foul like that was the best flowing game we've had in forever.
Speaker 5: Then, I don't know. I don't think I knew any of the three officials, which is probably a good thing.
Speaker 7: Congratulation to them. And thankfully they called that foul at point two seconds on the clock to set up that great moment we had last night with the walk on. They could have let that go. Nope, we're gonna call it.
Speaker 4: That was the quickest game was over in an hour and forty minutes. That's the quickest game we've had all year.
Speaker 5: Oh loved it.
Speaker 6: Halftime I was tweeting out the stats. The best stat was zero monitor reviews to the first half. I did it, and they might have had one. They stayed away from the first half.
Speaker 5: Neither team even got in the bonus. So, you know, let him play, let him play.
Speaker 7: Let a lot up and down the court there for a long time.
Speaker 5: Who's up next, Shannon, Jamie, Jamie, go ahead, Jamie.
Speaker 8: Hey, I've seen a lot of rumors about Alvin Brooks leaving YEP and I was just kind of wanting to get your opinion on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he'll leave. Alvin Brooks will leave when he gets a good job. I mean he's gonna be He is one of the better recruiters in the country. You know, any good assistant coach, the first time they get a chance to get a really good job, they're gonna go.
Speaker 5: So Alvin Brooks will leave out here. That's what I'm happy about.
Speaker 4: Mark Pope will go find somebody like Alvin Brooks to replace Alvin Brooks. I don't think he's I think one of the things that happened with Cal is he just would hire his friends that had failed at other jobs and then bring him here.
Speaker 5: I don't think Mark Pope's gonna do that.
Speaker 4: I think Mark Pope's gonna go get the young, up and coming assistance. Mark Fox is his kind of career guy. I don't think you're gonna have to worry about what I worried about with Cow, which was that staff of old dudes that just failed everywhere else.
Speaker 8: As a from the thirteenth region, can you tell me where McKee is?
Speaker 5: Yeah, McKee is in Jackson County. What are you talking about? Wow?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, thanks appreciate call.
Speaker 4: How am I not gonna know? Mckinn We had a woman here from Jackson County just today.
Speaker 5: Yes we did. Yes, Uh that was here.
Speaker 7: Got one of the best little hole in the wall restaurants in southeastern Kentucky. You gotta walk up to the window in order that don't have a drive through. They'll have table and chairs. You walk up to the window and get your food.
Speaker 5: Is that right? Yes?
Speaker 7: And at the best chicken sandwiches ever?
Speaker 5: What what? What is?
Speaker 7: What place is that? It's in McKee. It's in a little like strip mall, in a strip mall and McKee. Well, I guess that's what they call it. There's like two couple of buildings together and then you walk up to it.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, I never remember that. I remember being at the place where Ram Paul was at the same time, but that was a different restaurant. Who's up next, Carter?
Speaker 5: Carter? Go ahead, Carter, Hight what's up? Matt?
Speaker 8: First time?
Speaker 5: Who what's up?
Speaker 6: I was just gonna see if you would rather have Nate a min or A very good transfer.
Speaker 4: Great question. Appreciate the call, Drew. Would you rather have top four top five in America? Nate a min join the team next year, or would you rather have one of the three best dudes in the portal.
Speaker 6: That's a very good question, because Aileen wanting the experience, but also Pope making a big splash with a top five recruit who is considering Arkansas, Tennessee duke in Louisville. That would make me very happy too. I think I'm gonna lean ament in this one scenario because I've heard the people that follow it closely say in other years he could be the number one overall. I think he might be that top tier that we've said for many years was lacking at the end of Cal's era. I think he might be in that group. So in this one I'll go Amen. Usually the experience I would take first, so there are years I would pick a night Amen. But if I assume we bring all three freshmen back, which maybe they don't, but I'm gonna assume they do, and we already have three freshmen committed, so this would be seven guys that are sophomores or under. If you promise me, I get one of the best dudes in the portal.
Speaker 4: I think this year, Ryan, I'm taking a dude in the portal. If you promise me. Now, if like it's up in the air, then I don't then know. But if you promise me I could get one of the top two or three dudes in the portal, I think I would take that.
Speaker 7: I think the way you look at the roster of the way it is coming in, you need a good five or a good point guard. And if one of those guys are available, I think you got to get that guy. I would probably vote the transfer portal guy.
Speaker 4: I mean cause if you if you bring in night Amen, that means you're starters next year. You're certainly gonna start Away Ament and Jasper Johnson. And the question is, is that three of the five of a national championship or final four team. Maybe, but you better make sure you have enough to go get those two studs in the portal. So I think I'd rather get the portal. But if we get him, I ain't gonna complain. I mean, I'm still good because he will be the best recruit Mark Pope's ever gotten.
Speaker 5: We'll take a break and be right back. It's KSR. TJ.
Speaker 1: Smith, personal injury attorney.
Speaker 5: Call TJ.
Speaker 3: He'll make them pay now. More of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Welcome back Kentucky Sports Radio. Here Live, it's KS Bar and Grill. If I'm nine, two eighth, twenty two eighty seven, Wings Day all Day and tonight dollar Wings. We got trivia tonight Mario, right, not me, but another fine gentleman or woman doing it. And then tomorrow we'll be back here again with there'll be I guess a high school here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mario.
Speaker 4: When we send him to Owen County to find something to do, he ended up making a big bunch of friends.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 6: Typical Mario. Send him off on a little assignment and he makes friends with everyone invites him to come back with him.
Speaker 7: I love the fact the schools they start taking a field trip. Let's go to KS Bar and watch the show.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: I think it's great. But it's an education moment. The Harald Leader. If you ever wondered if the Herald Leader. I've become convinced The Herald Leader like it's owned now by National Corporation, and I've become one hundred percent convinced.
Speaker 5: And this is not a.
Speaker 4: Blast on the writers there, because we have a former KSR writer that writes there. Ben Roberts does a good job for basketball. Janet Patton, Austin Horn like I like all those people. They're doing the best they can. But the owners are no longer in Kentucky, and the owners have no connection to Kentucky. Here's how I know this. Kentucky plays basketball last night plays lsu It's and this is the tweet that comes out I see right before I go to bed, Lexing hair leader in a mostly forgettable ACC men's basketball season on Tobacco Road. At least we've had duke. You are the Lexington newspaper using the phrase at least we have duke.
Speaker 6: If I'm John Clay or Mark Story is someone, I'm calling him up and being like, what are we doing?
Speaker 5: Oh wait, they deleted it. Oh they deleted.
Speaker 7: Somebody must have really complained.
Speaker 4: Well they should have deleted. How in the world do you write at least we have duke. They had not deleted it this morning, so they deleted it today.
Speaker 5: Well it's about time. I mean, I can't anybody.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it's just a kid or even an AI or algorithm doing it, But you have to have some sense that you are in Lexington Kentucky saying at least we have Duke like.
Speaker 5: I'd say half.
Speaker 4: The subscribers to the hair Old for some reason, sports were part of it. And you're gonna say at least we have Duke like, are you crazy?
Speaker 7: The newspaper industry is a dying industry anyway, and now you're just pushing more people away with stuff like that happening.
Speaker 6: I was a subscriber for a long time, even when I had passwords and other accounts I could have used. I still paid my money every month, but it got so expensive in the quality. Not the writers here, but like you get on and it's some story about something in Seattle, or these five fruits will make you lose forty pounds today.
Speaker 4: Do wonder what those fruits are though that'll make you lose lose forty pounds.
Speaker 5: It's mostly spam.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid to click that stuff. I thought maybe we were just turning into like duke fans here in Kentucky. You know, yesterday we were picking our favorite duke players and then you had that headline. So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I will say this, what's what's interesting to me, and I don't root for their downfall. I actually think it's really important for there to be local journalism, like who's gonna cover when the city government is corrupt or the state go You need someone to cover that. So I don't want to see them go away. But I will note this. When I started KSR, there were things we used to do to get traffic and attention that the Herald Leader not only would mock me about, they would use it as an argument to why I shouldn't get credentialed. On the phone with the editors, he would say, this proves you're not a journalist, and he would cite things, and now they do every single one of them, every single one of them.
Speaker 5: We used to have this thing where.
Speaker 4: Like stories like five fruits that will make you, you know, get rid of thirty pounds. We used to have those on our site and I remember the editor going, see, you're not a journalist if you take that stuff. And now that's on their side, and guess what, it's not even on our site anymore. Like we've become more professional and they've become less professional, and I do it's just fascinating to watch times have changed.
Speaker 6: So much, even just little things like on the blog, would just post the transcript of a press conference, and I don't think people like that. Now they do it everybody. They've become those sports blogs like they used.
Speaker 4: To criticize us for except fans of the day, they do the exact same thing now, which is fascinating to me.
Speaker 5: Who's next, Mike, Mike.
Speaker 9: Go ahead, Mike, Yeah, I was gonna you asked a question earlier. While we think Mark Hope loses these games, he shouldn't then win somebody should. And I think it goes back to what we've been talking about a week. When they overperformed, they do really well, and when they don't, you know, they lose. And I just wanted to ask you, do you think that he's too stubborn to change it? I mean, because you know I.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't get the sense with Mark Pope that he is stubborn, do you all?
Speaker 5: I mean, I I don't.
Speaker 4: I think he is wedded to the numbers, but I don't think he's stubborn. I think if the numbers told him to change, like with John cal Perry, it wouldn't have mattered what the numbers said. He believed one thing and that's what he was gonna do.
Speaker 9: With Mark Pope, I no, go ahead, I think you know we're talking about Alabama. I think and lexing, can we beat Alabama if you don't have seven minutes of a freshman garden sears? And that's for two reasons why he's just not basically told you that he doesn't get the respect to the referees.
Speaker 4: No, he doesn't, and I appreciate the call. Do you think do you think Pope with the lineups? Is that gonna be an issue? Because I did get I did feel better about the fact in the second half he did not line change at any point in that second half until the very end.
Speaker 5: He had good guys in the whole time.
Speaker 6: That first line change I still wonder about. But you know, going back to early in SEC play, we were wondering why he was playing a lot of the guys he was so many minutes and pretty much all of them if played a lot better, including Colin Chandler last night. If if some of the end of the bench makes plays in Nashville and the NSAA tournament, we can look to when we question his lineups against Texas or named the team and say that, you know, he trusted getting those guys minutes, even if it was a little detrimental at the time to get him to be better at the end of the year.
Speaker 5: But I don't mind that they have minutes. I don't want them to all play together.
Speaker 4: And I don't think it's too much to ask, Like you don't, I don't care for Like, let's use last night's example. You start with the starters, you get up I think six or eight. Then he takes Bray out and puts Noah in. So it's the starters in Noah and you know what, that worked pretty well, but it was the moment. Then he took all the starters out and put in the reserves when things collapsed. I don't mind one or two, you got a sub some, but you don't have to put them all in at once.
Speaker 7: Like you said, I'm sure he's got analytics, and that's what he does. He bases I think everything he does on the numbers and analytics, and of analytics he believes tells him. I need to give these guys some rest so I get quality minutes late in the game, but only to play together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't have to play all those guys. It also doesn't like if think about the Alabama game, Travis Perry had some good minutes when it was the starters and Travis Perry. It puts Perry in a much better situation if he's out there with O Way and and you know Carr and Williams than if he has to.
Speaker 5: Play with the reserves. Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And sometimes I wonder if he's too stubborn to his plan in the analytics when sometimes you just gotta read the situation, Like there's been times the starters have started absolutely on fire and he's still made the switch. You gotta realize you're up sixteen to two and the other team's terrified right now, let those guys keep putting their foot on the gas and then he's made subs and we've seen the lead go away or maybe not calling tom outs and times things like that.
Speaker 4: Early enough, we see a lot where we go on a run other teams coach calls time out, and then.
Speaker 5: We completely change our line. YEP.
Speaker 4: I mean part of what I would argue is you just gotta time out. They just got some rest.
Speaker 5: Play.
Speaker 4: They're doing really well, right, and they're doing really well, like it's that when that other team called. If I'm a coach playing coaching gets pope and there's a lineup I don't like I call time out, just put somebody else in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe I'm misremembering this because I haven't slept and I've blanked out the Arkansas game. But didn't the starters go up big on Arkansas? And the moment he made that line change is when the tide turned. That was one of the worst examples of it this season.
Speaker 4: Without question. Yeah, so you're right. So to answer your question, sir, I don't. I don't think Mark Pope is stubborn, but I do hope when we get these games, I just I cannot that lineup he had last night. And this is no offense to any of the kids, because all these kids can play well separately. But if you drew up the worst lineup we could put on the floor together, he had that in at the end, that that that lineup of Perry, Braa, Noah, all the Noise and Garrison is the worst group of five we can play together because none of them can.
Speaker 7: Guard anybody I try. It's a bad defensive team out there right now.
Speaker 4: I mean they literally and then they got five guys on the bench, Butler Oway, Chandler Carr and Mariy are five best defenders, and he had them all on the bench at the same time.
Speaker 6: That group, especially Butler owah Mari, should never be sitting at the same time.
Speaker 5: The three of them completely agree.
Speaker 4: You can raise a glass to the cats with Club Blue, the official NIL fundraising partner of the University of Kentucky. They partnered with Bespoken Spirits to craft a special bourbon line for NIL initiatives.
Speaker 5: You can find these.
Speaker 4: Bold blue and white bottles at Liquor Barn, Kroger, Justin's House, Pub, Public's Bourbon, and more. Stay tuned for an ultra premium third bottle on the way. You can learn more at Club blueanil dot com about the official Club Blue bourbon. It's Club BLUEINIL dot com. Well take a break, be right back. This is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 5: Welcome back.
Speaker 4: It is Kentucky Sports Radio twenty two eighty seven. Text Machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. A couple of you been asking me about are the podcast? Drew and I do fade this. We're gonna bring it back for the NCAA tournament and the maybe even the conference tournaments. So we'll we'll do that starting maybe tomorrow. We might do one tomorrow if not. We'll definitely do one, uh for the NCAA brackets, So that'll be fun. Drew and I having done one since the end of college football season.
Speaker 6: Remember doing one at the NCAA tournament last year. That was a lot of fun. We were watching the team's practice. I think maybe NC State was practicing.
Speaker 5: That's right in the band. It was loud music.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I did do fun tofully.
Speaker 5: We'll do that again.
Speaker 7: A lot of people ask about that. So it's the long awaited return of the fade this podcast.
Speaker 5: You were saying John cal Perry went nuts last week.
Speaker 6: I think I saw that he almost cost his team. They were up eleven twelve ish, pretty much, we're looking good, had the game locked up, and then he got teed up. Not the ideal time to do it, probably seven minutes left, and he made three free throw to kind of cut into it. But then I think right away DJ Wagner bailed him out with a long three. But even you know neighbors in some of the Arkansas accounts I'll see online, they weren't happy with the timing of that technical he snapped. I think Big Z was even holding.
Speaker 5: Him back a little bit. Yeah, they won last night without a due.
Speaker 7: So that's uh, that's like three straight games he's missed.
Speaker 5: Is he coming back?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, you know how it is with cal injuries. You have absolutely no idea because Cal has not seen him, so there'd be no way to know.
Speaker 6: He actually said, I haven't spoken to him today was his answer.
Speaker 5: He did not.
Speaker 6: That was not last night. That was who they played the last game. That was his answer a couple of days ago. But man play the Hits. That was a big win for.
Speaker 5: Them last night. Barnhart speaking of the Hairs.
Speaker 4: Let's bring two conversations together, Mitch speaking of The Harold Leader in Mitch Barnhart and Mark Stoops. Mitch Barnhardt did an interview with The Harol Leader in which he said he was asked about the problems for UK football and he said it was a one year blip. I feel like we're gonna hear that that phrase a lot. I actually think that's it's a pretty bad phrase to use because it's not a one year blip. We've only won one SEC home game in the last two years. We've lost a Vandy twice in a row, we had a losing record the year before.
Speaker 5: It's not a one year blip.
Speaker 4: I think that's downplaying fans concerns, and I think that's not a good PR strategy at this point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we remember two years ago they kind of saved that season because they beat Louisville. They hadn't beat Louisville. We I think we had been really upset of the way the last two years have gone.
Speaker 6: Don't tell the season ticket holders it's a one year blip. Yeah, the home games have been a lot more than a year blip.
Speaker 5: I think that.
Speaker 4: The worst thing you can do in when you are in a role of having customers whatever it is, the worst thing you can do is say to the customer that.
Speaker 5: Their feeling is wrong.
Speaker 4: Like you can point out facts, but you can't say it's wrong. So let's say somebody comes in here and they're not pleased about their food. Let's say they eat and they go, you know, I don't feel like.
Speaker 5: The food is. I can't look at you and go, yeah the food was good. Yeah it was like you're wrong, it was good.
Speaker 4: You don't understand that food was really good, Like they don't think it's good. So the question is how do you make that better? Do you talk about Well, we'll try to do better the next time or whatever. You can't just tell them it's not good. I think Mitch Barnhardt and Mark Stoops and John Caliperry before that their way of dealing with it's not good is to go you're.
Speaker 5: Wrong, and you can't do that. No, like people feel the way they feel.
Speaker 4: Now, you can try to convince them and say, well, maybe think about it like this, But if you just look at somebody and go you're wrong, it's not gonna work.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's the the yw butt I hear from my kids. You know you did the yo butt. I cleaned my bedroom yesterday. You can't do the yo butt. It's all about how you make excuses for things that have gone wrong.
Speaker 4: And if UK is going to raise the ticket prices, which they are because they have one last game, but the same price, and UK is going to ask people to donate to all the various things they ask, they have to understand that they cannot downplay the legitimate concerns. Cal tried to do that for years. How'd that work out for him? Now? Counter that to Mark Pope, who when we lose goes this is not acceptable.
Speaker 5: I think that's what I think. That's what they need to.
Speaker 6: Do for the football, Yes, especially with the football fans, because they are already very upset with the ticket situation. So then to just kind of dismiss their concerns about the home record the last two or three years, I don't think that's a good move by Mitch. That's just gonna have a think anger them even more.
Speaker 4: I would agree with what Nick Rouse just said on the KSR website. They should do one of those men in black things and put them on the brain and say, don't say the word one year. Don't save the phrase one year blip again, because I've heard that a lot.
Speaker 5: Get that out of your vocabulary.
Speaker 4: By the way, it was sixty four degrees thirty minutes ago, and they say it's gonna be fifteen degrees tonight.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, goodness. Yeah.
Speaker 7: The baseball game, I know what, at first pitch is supposed to be forty, but by the end of the games will be down to like, yeah, in the twenties.
Speaker 4: This the Kentucky weather continues to be absurd. Who's up next, Barb. By the way, for you, if you're going to the SEC tournament, it's supposed to be in the seventies all week in Nashville next week, so that should be pretty good.
Speaker 5: Barb.
Speaker 10: Go ahead, Hey, first time caller. Who are I wanted you were speaking of about Gene Hackman and the dogs? I want to tell you a short story, all right, okay, well real quick. We had a farm. A World War two prisoner war veteran came back.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 10: He lived in the full cabin on the woods. In the woods. He liked to hunt. Some people went back there to talk with them about behind naim and they smelled the awful smell. They went in.
Speaker 8: He was dead.
Speaker 10: He had three dogs. The dogs had actually eaten him. So maybe that's how the dogs got.
Speaker 4: That's that's quite a theory. What do you think about that, Shannon? Is a theory for the gene.
Speaker 3: I think they would see bites all over his body and know that the dogs bit them.
Speaker 10: So he was he was eating a.
Speaker 3: Hackman, not not this guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Wow, we called the MS. My husband had to help get him on the H. Barney structure to get him out the e M S. The EMS workers were throwing up.
Speaker 4: Okay, wow, you know I've got a crowd here for lunch. I don't know if I'm going to repeat that to them. Bar because they're they're eating right now. But that's quite a store. Okay, well, thank you for listening, Bar, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Happy wings Day, Yeah, Happy Wingsday from Bars.
Speaker 7: What a gross, disgusting story from a sweet grandma.
Speaker 5: She's she's just talking about what could have happened.
Speaker 7: That was disgusting.
Speaker 4: But Ryan, you're supposed to be the person that that that that the ladies.
Speaker 7: Like youth and nice and kind.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, well these people looking at me right here. Didn't you get to hear any of that, Drew, So they don't really know what we're reacting to. But uh, that's probably yeh, that's probably for their own good.
Speaker 5: All right. Any chance we beat Missouri next week?
Speaker 6: Absolutely think it's gonna be a good game, all right. I don't think they'll be favored by more than three or four points. I think Kentucky will be in it. They very well could win.
Speaker 5: I think we're gonna win.
Speaker 7: And Tom Hart's calling the game, right that's he's alma mater. He's calling the game. We're gonna be rolling in there, big blue wave.
Speaker 5: We're gonna win.
Speaker 4: It's noon, so it means it's eleven am for them. They're gonna be asleep. They're not even gonna know what hit him. We're gonna come in and we're we're winning that game at Missus and starting what I think will be a fun.
Speaker 6: March'd be a great way to wrap up this season, get a better seat in Nashville and get a big win on the road against a team that's ranked out. Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you folks very much for coming out here today. Great crowd here, We really appreciate it. Court Physical Therapy is KRT dot com. If you need want to feel better not be in pain, go to Court Physical Therapy. Your insurance probably will even cover it. KRT dot com seventy locations around the state. One of the best places to work in the state at Kentucky. It's court dot com, kort dot com. Tomorrow we will be here at kspar Friday. We will be at Cornbread Hemp out on in the what was the name of it, Jeff Ane Jeff Avenue and you are welcome and they're giving away so all the various jiffs and treats and the samples, so it should be a good show. Thank you all very much. It's wingsday, all day and night. This has been Kentucky Sports radio