Speaker 1: Eggs and baky timed awakey, it's the Bobby Bones pre show. You should leave in the part where you go, am I doing the intro?
Speaker 2: Is that recorded? No?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's like Kobe Kellyan's everybody. We haven't started the show yet with thought, we give you a fifteen twenty minutes. By the way, this is a bit self serving for me as well, because I can actually warm up a little bit, because yeah.
Speaker 1: It's much like a pro athlete. People don't think that you gotta stretch. Yeah, I gotta get loose like even brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah you feel that Yeah, yeah, yeah, stretch that brain.
Speaker 1: I mean I we're just like doing commercials and countdown and it's a both of us thing, so it's not just an amy thing, and maybe more one of us than the other. I know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, times I would say this week it's strong me and I don't know why I even I'm aware of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We have trouble reading early in the morning because things aren't firing.
Speaker 5: We're thinking, we're talking.
Speaker 1: There are times if I don't sleep, like I feel it in my gut that I can't say words back to back even in the middle of a cent. Let's say I'm gonna say the dog walk down the street. Like if I got no sleep and you think you just come and do the job, I'd be easy. You're just talking. But it's there are mornings where you just don't feel as good. And we try not to talk about that because I wouldn't care if I were listening to somebody the didn't feel as good. Just shut up and do your show. Yeah, but there are mornings where it happens, and I'll come in and like the dog walk down the street, or I just can't connect them because they didn't get sleep.
Speaker 2: You guys had some hard ones though, like More and Morland or who's.
Speaker 1: No Tucker wet Moore more and we're doing countdown, it's like Tucker web.
Speaker 2: More and more more. That's hard, not more so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rascal flats on Today's show, which you're gonna hear in the podcast if you didn't hear it on the live show. And I did not know two things about that. I did not know they hadn't all been in the same room together until this room here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty crazy, mind blown.
Speaker 4: I think right after they said it, I go today Yeah wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know that, and I have a I would say very close relationship with Gary where we'll we'll just text as friends, not very closer than like a buddy see and you're like, good to see you again, Like Gary and I will text his friends. I know Jay a little bit, Joe don not as much. I didn't know. I wish Gary would give me the heads up. Maybe I don't though, because maybe I'll have treated it differently. But when they said that in the interview, they were like, this is the first time I'd been in the same room in five years.
Speaker 2: I was like, shocking, what.
Speaker 1: And I had a text from I'll just go full disclosure. My PR person is their PR person, and so she was like, they're really nervous, and I was like, that's awesome. That means it matters to them.
Speaker 2: But you didn't know that they hadn't seen each other in five years.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't. I wasn't including on that at all.
Speaker 2: So it makes wouse that they were nervous. I'd be nervous.
Speaker 6: Too, how I mean, my question is how do you come up with this idea to get back together if you've never been in the same room.
Speaker 1: I don't think I know it's because it's we talked to them, right now ask them the questions. They answer the questions, I'll give you my opinion based on their answer and probably how I think it happened, which is mostly what they say. It was one of those rare situations that after the interview too, I left my desk, I went to the room where all the crew was. I never do that, not that I don't care about folks. As soon as they leave, we're on or I'm on to the next thing, because I got a stack of stuff to do.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 1: Anytime that we're here, we need to get the most out of it, so then you guys can go home and not worry about it. But I don't go and walk because then you have to do I don't like small talk for people I don't know, but I love their manager. He has been there for me early on in my career whenever things were going to crap. He's also Reba's Manager's name's Clarence Spaulding.
Speaker 2: He was in the hallway lunch bus. We walked gray hair guy.
Speaker 1: That will like punch in the face, give me a hug. Yeah, so Clarence is also Brooks and done. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm not talking to you specifically, Claire, but I think you know Darius for a while, maybe still Darius. So but Clarence and I used to go to dinner together, and again, I don't do that with anybody under the you guys, so let's him. So I wanted to go say hi to Clarence and the crew. And since I know Clarence and I know the Flats guys, I imagine if they would have split up and all three of them would have thrived in their individual efforts. This probably would have happened, but not so quick. And I think they were all starting to rebuild their efforts. And I think when you're so famous and so successful, you just think, Okay, if I go do something myself, it's going to be just famous and successful, without realizing it's the group dynamic, that it's a big part of it, right, And so you have and we'll start with Gary Lavox as the lead singer.
Speaker 2: He's doing club shows.
Speaker 1: He had to kind of start over and be Gary Lavaux of Rascal Flats and instead of playing to fifteen thousand people, it's a thousand and a club because he wants to sing and.
Speaker 2: He's putting out some new songs and.
Speaker 1: It still wasn't Rascal Flats, so he's starting over slowly building it, but not from scratch, but slowly building it. Jada Marcus Lunchbox, who was sitting on the left side.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know who they are.
Speaker 2: Okay you do? Yeah, good because you rarely do. That's cool you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't have known Jay's name util you said it during the interview.
Speaker 1: Okay, but when I say that, though, you're so. Jay plays bass but is super utility, can play anything, produces. He started a record label, and I think I'm sure I knew a hard that was going to be.
Speaker 2: But that's really hard having a record labels. You have to have somebody.
Speaker 1: You have to have somebody just get super lucky and be able to finance the label or just your paying out of your butt forever. For example, like Morgan Wallen's label, and obviously Morgan's really good, but that hit so hard that funded their whole label for a long time to give them a shot to launch other artists like Lightning in a Bottle. Lighting in a Bottle that had happened quick with Morgan, but that's a rare independent label that blew up quickly, but they needed that to happen or it would have taken forever. So he started I think a risk called Red Street Records. Yeah, and it's artists Christian artists, and that they're starting to actually do a thing now. But it's taken five years to even have a shot. And then Joe Don's been going through a lot of his issues with alcoholism. You know, he's been sober now a while, so he's been dealing with that and he's clean now, which we talked about. And I think if they wouldn't have had the struggles, they could have probably I got like together for another few years. But I think they missed it. I think when that's your identity, when you're want of Rascal Flats and you love to play these and these shows are twenty thousand people and that was our life forever. Yeah, and they're every time they go anywhere as Rascal Flats, they are celebrated like crazy.
Speaker 2: Individually they're like, oh, look at that.
Speaker 1: That's one of the Rascal Flats. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And think about the other two.
Speaker 1: Their own lead singer probably even less because it's like you can't even sing the songs. All I do want to hear the singer sing this song so and then the money. And it's not that they need the money, but if you can have money coming in, then you don't feel a weird about spending money.
Speaker 4: We wondered about that, but then I googled they're not worse, and not that that's accurate, but.
Speaker 2: I would say I would say.
Speaker 1: That's so, it's just not that accurate. There's a bit of bait. It some gives you an idea.
Speaker 2: H oh, no, they're rich, they're rich. But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: No one gets rich that wants to get rich and goes, well, I'm rich, I'm good. That's not a thing. It's like I won one super Bowl. You know what, I'm not gonna play fooball anymore. I'm going to try less. No, you're driven to create, and you start to have hits, you want more hits. You're making a lot of money. You want to make more money, whatever it's for to buy stuff or to help people or whatever the case is. So I think it was a bit of all of that, and they probably all individually were kind of itching, but nobody wanted to make their call. And Clarence, I'm assuming, was like, I'm this part up because I know Claren said, Hey, mother efforts, jo Don's healthy, Gary wants to sing.
Speaker 2: Jay, what are you doing? You running a label? But you can go tour.
Speaker 1: You're doing it. Jay was doing like a radio a band of like a bunch of people from other bands.
Speaker 2: Supergroup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was called Sounds like the Radio or something like that. I don't know what the group was. But he would sing like the Rascal flat songs that didn't count.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't sing.
Speaker 1: He's not a singer, right, And so I think it was a mixture of all that. And then it's kind of like, if you want to do it, you gotta be uncomfortable and whatever it is, it's keeping you guys apart. You got to get over it. You don't have to be friends forever. You have to be friends on this tour. And I'm not saying they're not because I don't know what their dynamic is right this second or what it's going to be. But you don't have to be friends. Just work together. But go make people happy, Go perform together. Muscle memory he has done a million times, right, go make your money. It's called the I thought it was called like Sounds Like the Radio or something.
Speaker 2: Huh. The Rise above.
Speaker 1: When you look at I think maybe he did another band too. It doesn't even matter. Sounds familiar, no, it's it's not familiar no, because they don't have any songs or anything.
Speaker 2: So who are the guys?
Speaker 1: Jay somebody from Journey?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh, the guy who's talking about what Mike some from But if you go to his instagram, Generation Radio that's what it is.
Speaker 5: Jener.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think maybe they change the name Generation Radio because all those people who had songs when on the radio and like people would be.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, I wait to listen to the radio. Got it.
Speaker 1: So I'm very excited they're touring again because I do like them all, and I think their tour will sell really well.
Speaker 2: Even though it's only been.
Speaker 1: Five years, they've been a legacy group for like fifteen. Do you think they were offended when I said, guys, I said this on the radio, so I want to say it in front of you don't put out new music.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I think they've knew that was the thing.
Speaker 2: They know what's up? I hope.
Speaker 4: So what if they were like, actually, we just did it well.
Speaker 1: And if they would have I would have been like, okay, okay, cool, good luck, I got it now.
Speaker 7: I feel like they were on the same page. I feel like they were like, yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: But they have been putting out and they've had a couple of number ones in their last couple of years ago they had a couple number ones. I forget which ones, but they had a couple numbers.
Speaker 7: Is it a rule, because it does seem like it's a rule. We're like, all right, you're hitting the road, you got to have new music.
Speaker 1: If you're someone who creates new music, unless you're touring just on nostalgia like Brooks and Done don't put out new songs. Yeah, they're tourn like Crazy Ronnie does. But Ronnie's songs are never Hey, I want to put this out and I hope it's a massive radio success. It's crazy to say this, Like Ronnie's a friend of mine, like a real life friend. Crazy, and so when he has a new song, he never asked me to play anything, but he's like, we made this, we cut it. I think he had a song with Garth Brooks, but it was a Garth Brooks song that he was just on because remember we were at dinner once with Ronnie and he was like Garth just called me and said, well, you come write the song with me, and I was like okay, And so they went and wrote. And even Ronnie saying that about Garth, he looks up to Garth. Ronnie and Kicks are as big as it gets. I'm very happy for Rascal Flats. I would like to see that tour they have there. It's a very fun catalog of songs, even though a lot of them are slow, it's very fun catalog of songs. Yeah. Yeah, it's called Rodeo Man. The duet with Ronnie Done. I wish surprised it was our first show or the first time together in five years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Even for me to know, I didn't know that.
Speaker 6: When I grab coffee before. Nope, come on.
Speaker 1: They just wanted to like rip the band aid off, and they felt comfortable doing it here with us, which is a compliment. But also, and I'll say this, it's harder for me to interview people that I know. Well, it's harder like when Ronnie comes in. It's a mess. You guys know this, it's just sit back and see what happens.
Speaker 2: It's a mess.
Speaker 1: Because it's not that Ronnie doesn't take it seriously, but it's like he's sitting next to his friend, relaxed and just barely like the microphone.
Speaker 2: It's not even nearest. It's a great point.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, move the mic towards your mouth, and he's just.
Speaker 2: Like why he feels like he's on the couch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And it's equally awesome but like hurting cats at the same time. But that's what he's like in person. And I like it that you can be comfortable saying with you like I know them and like I know some of the dynamic. But I know so much that I'm not going to use what I know on my private life to be like, hey, so I know this happened. Is that why you're not together? I can't There are things I know I can't say where if I didn't know, I could ask about it because I wouldn't have the understanding of what really happened, which is kind of a cheat when you know it's something that's not good. Or if I didn't know and I'm asking, it's just from a heart being curious, but.
Speaker 7: Could it also be a thing where you know, like it's a business right, like we were talking, it's a business so if any business was getting together, they're all not all going to get in a room before they go somewhere.
Speaker 1: They're just gonna say yeah. But they've been friends forever, Like there thing is friendship. They've been friends for twenty years. They write songs together, they've been touring part of their Even if you're not getting along, you're still it's like kind of like us, we mostly get we don't We don't travel al together because that would probably be a beast.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Mike tells us where to be and we're like, oh yeah, Like you don't call everyone individually and be like, hey, let's get into a room before we go do this.
Speaker 1: No, But my point is there are times because just our group dynamic, we've been together twenty years and we've all been different levels of friends, and we've had different seasons where we've all been better levels of friends with each other, depending on what's happening in life. I mean, Lunchbox and I used to go to Vegas ever two times a month together. We just hold hands in flight to Vegas and that's cute. Life happens. And we definitely don't go to Vegas anymore. You know, we don't really as a group hang out anymore because again, families and different, the different dynamics happen and you start to have different interests.
Speaker 2: So like Amy hangs out.
Speaker 1: More than my with my wife, way more than me at this point, which kind of feel like she's like a conduit, a surrogate like her, like your friendship my wife is your friendship with me. I feel like like you spent time with her that counts for me, and I would spend not she don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in this tense, in this whatever, it's an area.
Speaker 1: Not for that purpose, because she likes to spend time with Amy. But I would say, my wife will go to Amy's house and I'll just look, we have find mine on the apps, and I'm like, oh, she's at Amy's house. I feel like, yeah, I feel like that counts for me. But dynamics change, and you hang out with people more, with people less. There are times that we get along more when we fight, but you're just together that long. That crap happens, and it's how you kind of work through it. I think Amy and I worked through DISA game is really well at this point, don't you. You don't have many now because I think we've kind.
Speaker 5: Of No, I mean that.
Speaker 4: I mean, never know when one might pop up, but I think, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 5: Trying to think of the last one.
Speaker 4: I mean there's one that I know of where I had to be like you were going to just leave, and I was like.
Speaker 6: That was when you tell that bad morning corny.
Speaker 4: No, I think that that it's been a minute. I can't think of one in a while.
Speaker 1: But but I think that also shows that. And you're like we can kind of avoid them as well, like we know if they're coming, we can kind of you know, pop the pimple.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but also, yeah, I wasn't only just go to your car, Like we're talking about this.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what it was. But don't mind get repissed off, you know that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I know, like sometimes don't bring that negative you guys remind me of people. I'm having a few with it and I'll be like, oh, yeah, it's I don't know, it wasn't it was normal, I know, But I'm just saying sometimes I forget and I'm reminded that I'm angry again.
Speaker 4: Okay, No, I was always sharing that's gross because I think.
Speaker 7: A million times trying to make so happy.
Speaker 5: I think young to me, would to let you just go to the car?
Speaker 2: It was that bad, they're going to take it. No, it's not that bad against his will. No, I was kidnapped.
Speaker 6: Oh no, it's not good. Are incriminating yourself?
Speaker 1: So I hope you guys let's into that on the podcast. You may have you already here. We're about to do today's show. And I like it that they came here first, made we're purposeful about that. That makes me feel good. And I hope you go see their tour. I'll probably go see their tour. I don't know if they're doing one here are they? So I probably won't go see their tour, but if it's close, there's a chance I would actually consider because I think that'd be a really fun show. And they have not they don't they don't talk. They haven't talked until today. Pretty crazy, pretty crazy. I can't wait till we don't talk for a long time they get back together. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yea, yeah, that's gonna be fun. Okay, we got to go get on the show. Thank you guys, and we'll do the post show in just a little bit. It's time for the Bobby Bones Post Show. Here's your host, Bobby Bones.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We're all live on YouTube because Facebook's broken or Facebook.
Speaker 2: We on both. Yep, we go on BOTHO Rockin' dude.
Speaker 1: I do want to start with Luke Bryan talking about Beyonce CMA snub. He said a very similar thing that I said a couple of weeks ago, where it's like, if you're not in town, it's hard for you to you know, have have friends. Basically what it is, it's very it's political, and uh, you gotta get to have your friends vote for you. That's what it boils down to. So I'll read you what he said. Luke Bryan was asked why I thinks Beyonce didn't get nominated for a CMA Award.
Speaker 2: He said, everybody loves it.
Speaker 1: She made a country album, but maybe she hasn't stepped to the community enough. Quote coming to our world and be country with us a little bit now. When I was talking about this a few weeks ago, because I would get asked questions like why post Malone, why not Beyonce? Is it a race thing? Is it because he's white and she's black? And my answer was no, at least not with us. We actually played Beyonce's music before we played post Malones in accordance to when it was released. Like when post Malone stuff started, we waited a bit. As soon as Beyonce's came out, I was like, man, it's really different.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: We played it like the next day after the super Bowl, so that definitely wasn't a race thing. And what I said was, this town is very incestual, good and bad, and those awards are actually not given.
Speaker 2: To the best.
Speaker 1: It's to the most voted, and sometimes those are the same, sometimes they're not. And that anyone doesn't Beyonce, it could be anybody that's not in town cultivating relationships, working with writers. It's hard for them to get ahead in this industry with the industry based awards. So that's what he's saying. Basically, he's like, man, if she came and just like invested a little bit of time into where it was created, some of the people that are here that are creating, that are also voting on these would obviously vote for her. That's what post Malone did. Post Malone basically moved here. He's here, he's here all he tried to rent my house. I said that on this right, I think so so.
Speaker 2: And that was.
Speaker 1: Forever ago, and he's been here. He did My and Eddie's charity show at the Ryeman. He's doing even when he does stage coach, he's got Nashville people with him. Yeah, And I think that's the difference, Not even that one's better than the other, but I think this town would have done the same thing to post Malone had he not invested into this town and been here a bunch. I'm not even saying that's right. I'm not saying that's wrong. I'm just saying that's how that system works. I've had my beefs with the system. Nobody cares. But there was a thing with Beyonce too recently that were like Beyonce was nominated for seventeen People's Choice Awards and didn't win one, And I'm like, Okay, you guys are just trying to create a story. Those People's Choice Awards aren't real. It's like, if you come to the TV show, they give you an award, and she didn't come.
Speaker 2: To the TV show. That's the recent one that's in a real award.
Speaker 1: I mean it's an award. I don't know what data, Mike, we look into a data they use for that. I think it's just people giving an award on their choice.
Speaker 2: Who are the people. I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's not the people to vote.
Speaker 2: I don't know other people. I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the process people. But if it was just the people and you opened it wide open, Beyonce the probably win some of the awards. Yeah, but I saw them trying to make that a thing where it's like Beyonce can't even win a people's choice award, Like is that a race thing? And I'm like, that's not a real award. That's like people getting on the internet and just voting, and that's open to everybody. It's not an internal thing. And then also they probably have the right to not give an award if people aren't there for the TV show, because it's mostly a TV show that they build an award so they can have a TV show. But Beyonce. I liked Beyonce's Country. We played it, We played multiple songs from it. I mean, I got people were all my nuts about it, like why are you playing this? There's a space, you only have a certain amount of spaces and you're using on a Beyonce song. So but I do I'm glad Luke said that because I say stuff for hours a day, every day, and it just gets intertwined with all the other stuff I say. When Luke says that, it matters when I say it, it's like, Okay, Bobby's talking nonsense again.
Speaker 2: But I do feel like that's.
Speaker 1: Why I don't think there was any we're really gonna hold Beyonce back. We'll show her. I think it was the opposite. They didn't really think about her in these situations. People to vote on these because she's not here. But trust me, I've had my issues with these award shows. But now I understand it. I don't have to agree with it, but I understand it. And if you don't want to play the game, it's hard to win the game. And there are times I don't play the game so I can't get back when I don't win the game. There are times that we don't win the CMA Award and I'm like, are you guys crazy?
Speaker 2: No, this is just me talking.
Speaker 1: This is me, and I have to if I'm super confident about us and what we do and what we do in every way, if it's philanthropy, if it's content, if it's interviews, like no, but there isn't a show that does as much as we do in all areas human raising money. It doesn't matter. I could keep going, but there isn't. And in my mind, this is my mind, we should never not win the award.
Speaker 2: No, you can only win every other year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think, in my confident, slash cocky way, there are times we don't win because we get Bill belichicked or Angelina and Joe lead Belichick won the Coach of the Year every year they were like, Okay, he's won too much, no more, Angela, jolly, he's the hottest person on the earth eight years in a row. No more. Or there are times I'm not known as the warmest person to the the business, the system.
Speaker 2: I think I would be.
Speaker 1: Regarded as someone who is annoying to deal with by people in the industry that are like recordless, not humans, the humans. It's like Texas Longhorn that I hate the Texas Longhorns, but I like Texas Longhorned fans individually because usually they're just good people.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: It isn't if you're a long horn fan, that's great, I love you, But if you're the all the long horned fans, you guys can hugger root. So I'm a Razorback fan, like in general, and so you guys annoy me. Tennessee fans, you annoy me. It's mostly because we're jealous of the program Arkansas.
Speaker 2: We're little brother. We get beat up by big brother.
Speaker 1: But it's like Longhorn fans, I have no use for you. However, the individual Longhorn fans, I know a ton of them. I'm great friends with Longhorn fans. Same thing with the industry. I have no use for it. I'm no use for the machine. When we rebuilt our studio, I made it so record people could not come in the studio.
Speaker 2: That was one of the big things.
Speaker 1: I was like, I want to build it where there are no seats, where there no manager, record label published, that they cannot come in because they used to remember that hit a thing.
Speaker 2: And that was because that was what this job was supposed to.
Speaker 1: Allow, was anybody can come in and just sit with your artists and they'd be like, look like, don't have that. Okay, you know what we're gonna do. You're gonna be in a room over there. So I can actually feel like I can connect with the artists. Was not warmly welcomed. So I'm basically Beyonce I said it. I understand why people would feel that way because I felt that way. But it's definitely not a personal thing towards her, because I think a lot of people did like the record. It's mostly there wasn't an investment into that community. Also by me, there's not an investment into the community sometimes in that way, like the industry part of it. I don't go to industry stuff mostly, I just I'm like, it's seven pm under the be in bed and then it says like, oh fake, I hate small talk. You know it's good at small talk, Eddie. You know who's bad as small talk? Me?
Speaker 2: I don't mind small talk. Yeah, I mean like you, you're good at it. I'd rather do small talk than the real Like, let's get.
Speaker 1: Serious, see me, I'll meet to me the first time, I'm like, give me cancer your family.
Speaker 2: It's like it goes way too quick, you know, like I go, It's.
Speaker 6: Like if not, like why are we even talking like it?
Speaker 2: Let's rather be like the time, this is a good win last week and I'd be like.
Speaker 1: So mental illness and abortion, how do you have about those two things?
Speaker 2: Like it was right off.
Speaker 1: So I agree with what Luke said, but I also agree that the system creates its victors, and if you don't cooperate with the system, you will not be a victor. And I've had to accept that about myself and us as well, because there are times we're not the victors. But there are times it's my fault because I don't cooperate with the system, even though we're setting records and all these things, even though Beyonce's record gets smashed and crushed and everything. But the people short thing made me laugh because I don't know that they gave any award anybody that wasn't there. And also I didn't watch Machine Gun.
Speaker 2: Kelly was here. He was there. Yes, I saw that on socials, which.
Speaker 1: Is another thing that I will say about me in this format. And I have always been the guy that gets into I don't really fight with people anymore about it, but I would be the one that goes. You know, if you're making something that's country and I believe like you kind of care, I'll give it a shot. It doesn't matter if you're Beyonce, it doesn't matter if you're Brett Michaels. It doesn't matter if you're coming from out of the format. Steven Tyler, Steven Tyler, Nelly like for all for I don't think he just made a country song.
Speaker 6: Yeah, over and over again and.
Speaker 1: Country of those and that was like the reman but they play. But yeah, I'm saying, when we're here, he's right. So I'm willing to give anybody a chance to see if it's what I feel like is authentic. What I like to have post Malone is he didn't go I'm now a country artist. He was like all of the country music I'm to a project or two. But he had also been showing for the past ten years that he was a fan of country country music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there was no doubt to me.
Speaker 1: But he also he'd do Brad Paisley stuff, but he'd do Nirvana stuff, and he'd do hip hop stuff.
Speaker 2: He did a Hank Williams song on our show.
Speaker 1: So but then he was committed a country at that point. Yeah, I'm saying, even before we knew he was doing a country record. And so when people like Jelly Roll come in and I'm like, this is interesting, I wonder how I feel about him saying he's a country artist, and it had him in and you spend time with Jelly Roll, and he's easy to love, extremely vulnerable. You're just like, man, that's the nicest guy ever. And then he started writing with a lot of artists in town. And then you would people that you trusted would say, yeah, he's like in it, like he's committed.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: I was like, Okay, people I trust to give me advice about this, I'm gonna truy and you can tell he's committed. He also still does hip hop stuff and he still does rock stuff. But Jelly Roll, to me, didn't need to prove to me anything. But like I think he's proven to me and us and everyone just through the last couple of years. Like he's a country artist. Yeah, he tells stories, he's vulnerable, but he still at times is not He does other things, but we accept him. Is that There was another recent one that I was thinking about. I have a post malone obviously, but my point was with the machine gun Kelly thing. The format has gotten so big now that I think people just see it as easy money. Now, there was a way, there was a path that I would not be a part of the path where it was somebody who they were super successful in other format and they were on the way down. They treated this format as they're dancing with the stars, and they were like, oh, I can get one final something and I can just go and act like I'm a country artist and make some money because I'm not working out a pop I like that. I didn't do that like I was on pop radio.
Speaker 2: We all were.
Speaker 1: I built my own s inducation company. I was on a trajectory moon high because I owned massive part of the show we had, and you know, I started by myself. Then it was a wee thing and I came here as I was on the way up, like I chose this. Like I feel like like Jelly Roll could have kept going in the hip hop space but chose this. But when artists are like, you know, I'm gonna go do country, but it's because they're failing in another format, I feel like I don't really react warmly to that. Anybody can come over and say what up. But if I feel like you're doing it because it's like a last resort, I feel like that's not true. And sincere now with like a Machine on Kelly, I feel like the format's just gotten so big. There's a bunch of easy money, and he's just like, I'm just gonna do some stuff and say country because I remember wh the first time I played Dixie Chicks song, I was like, that's interesting. But I know he's gonna do He's gonna come try to do some country stuff and try to make some money and spread his audience.
Speaker 2: Here trying to do an album. What's he doing, I don't know. I don't really know.
Speaker 1: I know he's a song with Jelly Roll. I don't know if they push in a country or not, you know, Mike, but he was at the People Shows Country Awards, so they're trying to do a concerted effort to make him be a little That to me is not believable. However, he's not on the way down pop punk, yeah, but that's a different format pop punk and country is different. For pop punk is like there's not a group of people that have been in pop punk for one hundred years. There's not a city dedicated to pop punk, there's not an industry, there's not a billion dollar so not the same, but I understand. But it's also not going down. So I'm not gonna be hypocritical and say he's an artist doing that, But I just don't. I don't believe that he's somebody who loved country music and is like, I'm really intrigued, I'm gonna try to do this. I think it's probably somebody's like man, I could probably spread an audience and make some money.
Speaker 6: Oh, he seemed pretty genuine when I hung out with cmafest and.
Speaker 2: By you hanging out with him, it's like you hanging out with Diddy got him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was over my shoulder and I like a video of him, and his security guard told me to stop.
Speaker 1: I don't even know that he's I don't anything about it. I don't know if he's not a nice stud or not. But do you look at that and go like, well, that's legitimate.
Speaker 5: I felt like the Chicks thing was legit. Like I was like, oh that. I felt like it.
Speaker 1: Was a nostalgia song.
Speaker 4: For him, and he genuinely knew it and he liked it in country. That that one song had me thinking all those things.
Speaker 2: What does he sing like? What are some of his songs?
Speaker 1: He had a couple of like rock songs that were really good, like pop punk songs. Yeah, the pop punk stuff.
Speaker 2: Is really good.
Speaker 1: Even I don't know his his hip hop stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I would watch him. He's pretty good. He's know him from member one. Eminem annihilated him. That's what I know from that is when he switched, he went after Eminem once Eminem in the song he did back, not only did Eminem but then wrapped in his cadence and like annihilated it. Well, that's the guy you don't go after. And again, nobody has to a dang thing to me. But my feelings are like that doesn't feel legitimate that it's somebody like doing it for the sake of just loving country music.
Speaker 2: It's doing it.
Speaker 1: Oh kill Shot was a song Oh my God that so yeah, you just don't mess with them. And MM has a lot of those oh my gods when somebody goes in him and I'm like, what are you thinking? He could be seventy years old, and I'm like, don't do it. So yeah, I'm I guess I'm just I'm holding my thoughts on it. On the machine Gun Kelly stuff, because it doesn't feel if you were really honest, it came out and said, yeah, I just I don't want to current country music, but I want to do a few songs. I think it would be fun because I really like, I've really started to get into it and think it would be fun. Like I think that honesty would be cool and refreshing, and I think I would be into having him in and seeing what's up. Doesn't even need to come here, doesn't affect his car at all, doesn't defect mine. But it's when I feel like there are a lot of people now trying that because they know the format has never been bigger than right now, and that is mostly on the shoulders of Wallin Comb's Zach Bryan selling out football stadiums, young audience, those guys crossing over. So yeah, there just feel.
Speaker 2: Those guys back in the day Bob Dylan did that.
Speaker 7: He moved to Nashville and then Johnny Cash tried to help him, and like you know, these are introduced into people.
Speaker 2: Like Bob Dylan was was always a country artist though yeah, I mean he was a folk artist.
Speaker 1: He's from right, but like Americana to me is country music. I agree with that Americana is more country than country. They just had to change the name because country had moved to a different place. But the machine guns, Kelly stuff's interesting. I'm keeping an eye on it. I don't believe it that. It's like I'm a lifelong country fan. But if he's like, you know what, I just got into it like four months ago and it's good. I'm gonna do a little bit of this guy, I would be like, Okay, I'm anxious to hear your story. I did like his pop punk stuff, though, better than his hip hop stuff. And I even like this hip hop stuff. It was very aggressive though, and he always had a shirt off, and I was jealous because he could like pull off tattoos all over his chest. Tatoo, Yeah, it's a I like that.
Speaker 2: Is he still Megan Fox?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For me, no, I can pull it off. But I wish I could pull it off.
Speaker 5: Oh I didn't know you were in tattoos on the chest.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: But for me, tattoos on the chest, no, no, no. But he pulled it off, and I was like, dang, that's awesome. He has a good story too, because I think he was working to like a fast food restaurant Ohio. That's cool, and like took a bunch of money he didn't have and like went to some sort of like uh seminar and met somebody and was like.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to be at ma like.
Speaker 1: His story is actually pretty good that I know, but I'm just using him as an example because he's famous. Of people now they're trying to come over and just hopefully not make a quick buck.
Speaker 2: But I do.
Speaker 1: I do, Like I never met him. Lunchbox has kind of guys out.
Speaker 6: He was really nice. It was pretty chill, relax.
Speaker 2: What do he said? What do you guys talk about?
Speaker 6: Uh? Just talking about the night and how the crowd looked good.
Speaker 1: Did you talk at all?
Speaker 2: Actually no, I.
Speaker 6: Said, Oh, there's machine Gun.
Speaker 2: Kelly, missus Jean. He's like, I'm not miss Geen.
Speaker 6: No, And I think I got a high five or a DAP.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you made up the whole thing of talking about the crowd and everything.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Mitchell shot so pretty Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, are you listening to over do the podcast?
Speaker 6: I'm reading the lyrics because I mean, I don't know anything about machine Gun Kelly.
Speaker 1: But the crazy part is when everyone does it again, he does it in his own style, and then he goes into machine Gun Kelly's cadence and does it in that cadence too, And you're like, man, that's the dude. You don't mess with Like, if you're going to go after the king, you better cut off his head. And he didn't cut off his head, so the king came back. That's a long time ago too. And also I made machine Gun Kelly more famous.
Speaker 2: So in the end, did he lose?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does not how you look at it. Brooks and Done said, everybody in country music hates each other. This is funny. I like talking about this for a second. So Brooks and Done, Kicks and Ronnie were on Theobond's podcast, which I think it's awesome. Theoband has country music artists on and so this is a clip from Theobond's podcast. As friendly as they say that that, you know, the world of country music is, it's it's so codarn competitive.
Speaker 6: You know, everybody hates one or brother. They act like they don't on TV.
Speaker 2: Do you think people are really competitive though?
Speaker 1: Oh, big time competitive. I stand by it too, Yeah, super competitive. I don't think I think he's a little hyperbole with everyone hates everyone, But a lot of people hate a lot of people, and sometimes and sometimes not even for reasons other than they're taking up part of the space and using some of the oxygen.
Speaker 2: They'd like to use in their career.
Speaker 1: There are artists, though, major artists that act like they like each other, like on TV and stuff, that freaking hate each other's guts. That's what's hilarious to me. Hate each other like almost have benefitst fights.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 7: There are cliques too, like there are clicks of like certain country artists that hang out with each other that don't like other ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and most of them though it's now kind of turned political, Yes it's. Yeah, it's now been a bit of political clique. But yes, it's it's a it's a clique town. It's not a big city to have a massive industry, so it's gonna be clique like a high school.
Speaker 2: It feels like.
Speaker 1: High school a bit sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was almost I was almost at I was at the place, but they almost fistfight and there were two major stars and I want to pull my phone out. I just couldn't know because I was like part of the group.
Speaker 2: I don't know this story.
Speaker 5: I telled you afterward, like a more private event or public event, public.
Speaker 8: Event, but they were on a private part. That's crazy, and they almost fought with each other and I just kind of sat back I'm close with one of them medium with another, so I didn't want them to fight. But also I was like, man, if this happens, I'm pulling, I have to pull my phone out. It's like somebody going crazy on a plane, Like you can go stop on or you can just pull your phone out and hopefully somebody el stops them.
Speaker 1: That's how I felt there. But yeah, there's a lot of jealousy insecurity that manifests itself with people not liking each other. But it's funny. Ronnie kicks it and they hate each other for a while. Yeah, and they were a group, they broke up. They want to kill each other.
Speaker 2: That's any, that's any.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, how does it go so wrong?
Speaker 2: It's you're just spending too much time with each other, a lot of time together.
Speaker 1: You're getting older, you're growing as people. You have new interests, different interests, different ideas about where the career should go, different ideas about what you can do your set.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of it.
Speaker 1: It's just a dynamic and human dynamic. It's like I would just cre to a marriage. How does it go wrong? Well, the two people grow in different ways, and if you don't work on finding the what can keep you together and things you have in common and why that's important. Then it can quickly that can dissipate and it just doesn't exist.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but if I'm kicksing running and I'm printing a hundred.
Speaker 1: Dollars need money. Another big reason is they were so rich it didn't matter. So it's not like they needed to keep going because they had to pay their mortgage.
Speaker 2: They had. They had a ton of money and that was that was their FU money. Is that the same with fgo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, lot of money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they made a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, a lot of money, so they don't.
Speaker 6: Really need it either.
Speaker 2: But I remember one of them living in a treehouse.
Speaker 5: No, it was they had a treehouse on their property.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought like times were tough. He living at a treehouse.
Speaker 5: No, think it was a beautiful house. Beautiful.
Speaker 2: I too, thought like dang, Jake's had hard. Jake just lived in tiny house for a while because they was building. I remember that it was tiny. It was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Okay, So those two country stories I want to mention.
Speaker 2: M M. I have a lot of notes.
Speaker 1: Look at my scripts for this. I got lots of scripts.
Speaker 6: Oh scuba, scuba, Oh, oh, Scuba, still a liar.
Speaker 2: You come to the microphone, you idiot, a big idiot here? What's up?
Speaker 1: So yesterday, by idiot, I don't mean that really Scuba.
Speaker 2: His thought was.
Speaker 1: The engineers that aren't here that Scuba was complaining to about some technical things, they think he's in it. I tried to describe and explain to him that I don't think he's an idiot. They probably are just pressured and whatever. So we said yesterday on the podcast, if our station the radio goes off wherever you are and there's dead air, there's this music that plays, something's not right, please let us know, because we don't know if you don't let us know. And we have technical issues all the time. Sometimes it's the program we're running, the Scoop is an idiot about not really an idiot, but that was what was yesterday's podcast. Sometimes it's there aren't people to run the board or market in individual markets. If we go there, no one's going to save us. Every once in a while, something happens here. We have the power go out. One day in the building, our power went out and we have a backup generator, and I'm like, hey, what can we do in scoop like, I don't know. We don't have an engineer, so there are a lot of ways things can go wrong. But we ask people, if it happens where you are on your local affiliate, please message us and let us know what time you were listening, what city you're listening, if you can, what station if you know. And so they started coming in here, lots of them. Well, it just I go over to my what's that box called it? Anybody can send to a dm Q box, not DMS, but no requested requested messages. Have your regular there's my regulars, there's the people that have already gotten through, and there's the thing that you go to click and it's like message requests, and so I go to that, and that's always there's always like two thousand of those, so I can't always see all them. I try to look at a lot of them. But I just clicked like ten yesterday and I get one. Just finished listening to today's podcast. We're in Fresno, but we were listening on the radio about eight fifty am, and I kid you not parentheses. I'm not sure what the music is called. The intro music was playing for a good five minutes. Before you guys came back on the air five minutes. That was.
Speaker 9: That was the moment you saw to throw up my phone down because I heard that in the hallway. I'm like, are you efing kidding me?
Speaker 1: That was the deal that that's the thirty minute.
Speaker 2: It's after we did the podcast.
Speaker 1: I just started and I was like, I need to not go ont my messages today, So I've just started to collect these in a folder. Now they're talking about the yeah yeah, which we play it for us.
Speaker 2: Here's the hit, our greatest hit. Yes, that's our greatest five minutes of it and nothing. You're just listening to, going what's happening here?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: And as long as supposed to be there in case like because it does happen where it'll clip off in the front of the back for maybe one or two seconds. They rather that than dead air, but they didn't go to commercials, so across the nation, you know, all those spots didn't.
Speaker 1: Play yeah oh yeah.
Speaker 2: But the delay was fixed though I heard that today it's not as bad.
Speaker 1: Please let us know if anything happens, because we can actually hopefully make it better by knowing, and if we don't know, we can't make it better something else that you may hear a little bit like we're lucky enough that our sponsors want to be a part of segments sometimes, like we do scam Alert and a big LifeLock user was before they came on the show and they're like, hey, we want to sponsor scam Alert. I'm like, that's awesome because it makes sense. We at times like we don't control how long if you listen to the podcast, how long the commercial breaks are, but what we're able to do now hopefully the goal is to include some of these in breaks that make sense so that the commercial breaks aren't long. Like that's our goal, and that's what Scuba and I've been working on, and that's why you'll hear that, like we're doing the bit. It's about we didn't create the bit for the commercial, but if it makes sense, we can kind of put it in it for twenty five seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: And if we can slow, slowly not have these extremely long spot blocks, that helps everybody, including the advertiser, and that's who we want to really benefit because we get to stay on the air that way.
Speaker 2: So we're working on that.
Speaker 1: So if you hear that occasionally, just know that that is purposeful and the overall amount hopefully. Oh you know, it's weird. Two people messing me. We're like, I just heard a vaping commercial.
Speaker 2: No, and I'm like, what do you mean? Who did that? Well, no, it's not that.
Speaker 1: It's like depending on where you are, and vaping is not even a they're going to jail for anything. But like political ads, I don't want them on the show, right because I don't want anyone to think that we even though we may have our feelings and they may be very different and very the same, I don't want people thinking that our show has any sort of agenda in that world because nobody comes to us for that. And so when there's a political ad on our show, people will be like, oh I just heard this ad and you suck, regardless of what it is. And so, but what happens is not on our show. It's in the local either the local station or where you are. The digital will just grab vaping or political and target it to that area when we had nothing to do with it. One of them was like Dildo's or something over that.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was like lunchbox voice, then hey if something it wasn't that.
Speaker 1: But it's like a like a ex like an adult store or something. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was like, how many do you guys?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm lunchbox.
Speaker 6: You are right, hey, price right exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: Lunch is for sale?
Speaker 6: So are we all.
Speaker 5: For everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not gonna do those.
Speaker 6: Well, you guys are an exploratory.
Speaker 2: We I guess not, I guess in more ways.
Speaker 1: You are more ways than one exploratory.
Speaker 7: I thought the political stuff though, don't you have to do like one Yeah, like one side, you do the other one.
Speaker 1: Not if it's bought, No, because that would mean all the money.
Speaker 2: If it's in regular time, there are different rules.
Speaker 1: But oh, if it's not politicians by commercials, because it might not make sense if somebody has forty million, somebody has ten. But if they buy forty million commercials, like we got to give them extra thirty million, they didn't raise the money.
Speaker 6: Okay, Andy's crazy, how much money we waste on running for office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there should be a salary.
Speaker 6: It's so stupid.
Speaker 1: There should be a political salary cap. And you do the most you can do. You can sign DAK for eight hundred million dollars and so you get really good commercial cap that's going to get you, like near to win the election, but it's it probably going to crap out right on election day.
Speaker 5: A lot of the problems they want to solve they could use some money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's it.
Speaker 5: Is it? What is that rule though? Now I'm trying to think of it.
Speaker 4: Is it if you have if you interview one, you have to have the other one on?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, but that rule is not you know, for there are ways to get around that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we don't have to have you have to give them opportunity.
Speaker 5: Because they can say no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember talking about that in school.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's not still it's not the same anymore.
Speaker 6: Even talking about it in the school evolved.
Speaker 2: I guess it's like if you go on.
Speaker 1: Pick a show that's partisan for sure, like a Fox you go on, well they have Democrats on. But if you go on like Klay Travis's show and he has Trump on, You're not getting here Kamala over there. They're not going to reach out to Kamala, so they don't have to reach out. And I don't know if Kamala reaches out and goes I'd like to be on if they have to say yes, but they're not going to reach out and go well, due to fairness doctrine, we also want that's not gonna happen, but it's also it's private.
Speaker 2: I don't know by three deal does get one free? I'm lunch bar. Okay, I think we're just a.
Speaker 5: Really bad thought.
Speaker 1: Everybody has a price it.
Speaker 6: What do you think about over there.
Speaker 5: Lunch bars? You're thinking about lunch bars endorsing something.
Speaker 2: I can't say it got a whole comedy going that. She's also laughing at the we cannot experience.
Speaker 5: I mean, because I guess it is supposed show. I probably could say it. Let's just say it involves.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Well, I just we're gonna chase this one. Thank you, guys, We'll see tomorrow. On tomorrow's regular show, Luke Bryant is on all Right, bye Ready