Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Jude calls for some Call of Jude, go and play some Black Ops six. I'll take it from here. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yes, every boat count Sir. Who's next? Who's next?
Speaker 2: Wonderful your son?
Speaker 4: Here you go?
Speaker 3: Hey, it comes back here?
Speaker 4: Hey, what's his name?
Speaker 3: Pomp Turty Henry scratch and sniff the smell of freedom metal VP. You're a couple of years older than myself, so we kind of grew up in the eighties. But I'm I'm only thirty five.
Speaker 1: Come now, I'm your gad. So but you want to, I'm gonna give you a sampling A man I.
Speaker 3: Feel, I feel you will medical.
Speaker 5: All my life and grinding all my light, sacrifice, hustle.
Speaker 3: Bad the price, Want a slice?
Speaker 5: Got the brow of dysons wide all my life, I'll be grinding all my light all my life.
Speaker 3: Been grinding all.
Speaker 5: My life, sacrifice, hustle, back the price, doctors sware all my life, Papa gone in all my life.
Speaker 3: Hello, Welcome to another episode of Club Shayshay. This episode is brought to you by Call of Duty Black Ops six. The woman that's stopping by for conversation or the drink today, she's the highest ranking woman in US history. She's made a career of being first. She's the first woman to serve as Attorney General African American Asian American descent. She's also district She's been District Attorney of San Francisco. She was the nation's first Indian American Senator. She's the first woman, first Black Asian American to be elected Vice president. She's set the record for the most tie breaking votes cast by vice president. She's the first black woman Asian American in US history to win the presidential nomination of a major party. She's the first HBCU grad, making US proud. She is a Howard University of lum She's a member of the prestigious Appa Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. Here she is in person. Madam BP Kamla Harrison. How you doing? Extreme honor, privilege and a pleasure to have you on club Shaysha CJ, who is the producer here. When we started this journey, Madam VP four years ago. Celebrities, athletes, entertainers and influencers, vps and presidential hopefuls work on the Bingo card. You here, so I want to thank you very much. When we have guests come on Madam VP. We like the toast and what I read on this card. You don't deserve this. You've earned this, being the first in so many areas, and you make us proud. I just want you to know you make us proud for what you've been able to accomplish. And we're twelve days away and we hope you have an even greater accomplishment. So here's to continue success and everything you've done and everything that you will do.
Speaker 4: Oh, bless you, and thank you, and to you, Shannon, to you for all the success and the voice you give to so many issues.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that.
Speaker 4: Thank you and cheers to you. Cheers, and I'm not going to actually drink this because I might fall asleep and I.
Speaker 1: Need to do this. I don't want you to rock Obama this afternoon.
Speaker 3: So here we are.
Speaker 1: Cheers everybody.
Speaker 3: So before we get to the things that you want to do once you become president of the United States, I want to go back when you found out what President Biden called you and said that he was no longer going to seek re election and you got that call. Do you remember where you were and what you thought when you heard him say these words?
Speaker 1: Do you I do so I was home.
Speaker 4: It was a Sunday afternoon, and my niece, her husband, and their two young daughters were visiting and staying with us, and I promised the kids I have pancakes and bacon and everything.
Speaker 1: And then after that.
Speaker 4: I had a puzzle for the kids, and we were sitting down to do the puzzle and the phone rang and it was President Biden. And so that's when he told me. And it was obviously life changing in so many ways. But you know, I have to tell you, Shannon, at that moment, I knew what it would mean, but not in the detail of it, but I certainly understood the seriousness and the gravity of the moment. And actually one of the first people I called was my pastor. Wow.
Speaker 1: I knew I needed a moment to just be still.
Speaker 4: And for my spirit and my mind to have clarity about the seriousness of the moment and my role.
Speaker 1: And I'll never forget that call, or that moment or that day.
Speaker 3: Your life instantaneously changed in that moment, Yes, because now all of a sudden, you weren't going to be running, you weren't going to be the VP anymore. You're going to be front and center, and you knew what the undertaking. Haven't been four years at the vice president, what that moment would mean.
Speaker 4: I had a sense of it, you know, like so many of us, you know when you know you this is your life, right, So there are those moments where your instinct kicks in sometimes before your conscious mind and thoughts do. And my instinct kicked in immediately that I need to focus and I need to do certain things immediately, which included making I think we estimated I made over one hundred calls that day. My team, and I'm an incredible team, all came in and you nobody expected, right, it was a Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 1: In fact, we actually joked who had taken a shower that day?
Speaker 4: Because you know, people came into their workout clothes, you know, different people and you know, bandana around the head.
Speaker 1: Just you know, and came in and we then for hours and hours, well into the night.
Speaker 3: Did you tell them, did you tell them why you had summoned them to come to your place? Did you give them that news or you were were you waiting for them to get there to share that news with them?
Speaker 4: Well, so the news started to speaking, imagine pretty much immediately. But you know, of the many blessings that I have and have had, one of them is an incredible team of people around me. You know what that's like, where they're just there and they will rise to a moment and no matter how high that moment is or meaning how serious it is and what I love. And it's certainly my own work ethic that there is no job too small or too big if there's something that needs to get done.
Speaker 3: So although you have a huge role. Now, what's a typical day like for you? Now, once you've been thrust into this What time you normally get into bed, what time you're getting up, and what's some of the activities that.
Speaker 4: You do in a given day I'm having I'd probably estimate fourteen hour fifteen hour days. When I wake up, no matter how little sleep or how much sleep I've had, I work out every morning. Okay, okay, you know, you know it's like my body and spirit right, and and then you know that's the only time of my day I really own. And then it is these days, it's not unusual for me to be in three or even four cities in one day rallies with thousands of people, ten thousand people showing up, making calls to folks. Just now, I landed in Atlanta, the mayor of Atlanta who greets me every single time. So I'll talk with elected leaders who are supportive about So, for example, here in Atlanta, what do we need to do to make sure that we're giving folks the resources to knock on doors and remind folks of the power of their voice and twelve days in it really is a lot about trying to focus on getting folks to know their power, to not let anybody suppress or silence their voice, and to vote right.
Speaker 3: So break what is what is metal vpe for breakfast? Or you have time? Or is it on to go?
Speaker 4: No? I I you know, I when I was younger, I didn't think I needed breakfast. I wasn't a breakfast eater. Okay, Now I have breakfast every morning. It's usually a spinisch holmlet, very exciting, right, but it's protein with a little vegetable and you know, I like chicken, apple, sausage and some toast and then I'm gone.
Speaker 3: Madam VP, you're a couple of years older than myself, so we kind of grew up in the eighties. But I'm I'm only thirty five now.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you want, but we grew up. But just keep moving because you I'm gonna give you a shovel.
Speaker 3: I see, I see it. We could have just moved on a band that real quick, but you drew attention to it. But we grew up in the seventies with music. Yeah, winning fire Ohio players, Oh yes.
Speaker 1: Fire you I mean oh you were like fire.
Speaker 3: Come on, okay, Yes, what do you listen to now?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: You know? I wish I were listening to more music, to be honest with you, because I love.
Speaker 3: It just downtown when you have downtime.
Speaker 4: You don't have any downtown. Really, I know, my little violin I'm playing right now with you, I really don't. But when I love, I love jazz, you know, if it's from Thelonious Monk to Miles Davis, I love Aretha. I was just with Stevie Stevie. Can I tell you bucket list Stevie Wonder on my birthday sing me Happy birthday, Happy birthday to me.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine?
Speaker 3: I was?
Speaker 1: I was, literally it was. It was surreal.
Speaker 4: Can you a bucket list moment? When Stevie Wonder himself it sings you happy birthday?
Speaker 3: As an eighteen year old. Yeah, could you imagine ever your life would have been like this this many years.
Speaker 4: Let me tell my mother loved She had every Stevie and every Aretha Franklin record, every album, like literally every one of them. So for I mean, you know, songs in the keid, like like all those all those Stevie songs that were about everything from the movement to optimism.
Speaker 1: I would have never at eighteen thought that he'd be singing me happy birthdays.
Speaker 3: Ever, never, That's the least I mean. But obviously everybody knows who Steve is. He was a trial prodigy thirteen years old, and he was doing great things. But to see, madal BP, what you've been able to do, You've had so many First, the first Attorney general woman Attorney general African American Asian American descent use the DA of San Francisco. You're the first Indian American US Senator.
Speaker 4: And second black woman ever in the history of the United States Senate elected second in the history of the United States Senate.
Speaker 3: Have you had an opportunity to sit back and reflect like, wow, but work is not yet done.
Speaker 1: That's more where I am, the work is not done. The work is not yet done.
Speaker 4: There's so much to do, I mean to your point, being in the Senate, so there is a way of responsibility that I know we all feel right when we have been blessed with an experience that allows us to be a role model and to hopefully inspire people and to remind them of what's important or point out the things that need to be addressed. So, for example, as only the second black woman elected to the United States Senate, I took on a real role of leadership around black maternal mortality, which affects Black women and affects their spouses, their husbands, their families, their children. And I feel a sense of responsibility and a very strong duty to make sure that I use my voice and in a way that is about lifting up people who have not always been in the room America.
Speaker 2: Mister states in shape stepped out for some black up six, but I'm here as his replace her. Let's start with Texas, shall we. Well, I think this is I mean.
Speaker 3: Things I'm moving here.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can go on there, yep. Yeah, that's all for today, folks checking tomorrow.
Speaker 3: If you could speak to your eighteen year old self, what would you tell her?
Speaker 1: If I could speak to my eighteen year old self, I would probably tell her.
Speaker 4: Continue to keep your friends. You know, my best friend from kindergarten is still one of my best friends.
Speaker 1: What yes, Referee's yes.
Speaker 4: In fact, she's been out knocking on doors in North Carolina just this last week. For me, I would say, you know, hold on to those, to hold on to that, which is that your friends are so important, your family is so important. I would probably encourage myself at eighteen to remember that you have a lot of people who are supporting you, even if they don't know you.
Speaker 1: You know, That's what I mentor a lot of people, Shannon.
Speaker 4: So this is what I'm really reflecting on, which is what I tell the young people I mentor, including to know that even when you are in that room and you're the only one who looks like you or who has had your life experience, to know you are not alone in that room, and that you must therefore walk in that room chin up, shoulders back, knowing we're all they're applauding you. When I mentor young women and men, I remind them that you are often going to be told, well, it's not your time, not your turn, too young, nobody like you has done this before and and I tell them, you know, don't you ever listen to that?
Speaker 1: I like to say, I eat no for breakfast. I don't hear know. You asked me what I eat for breakfast? I eat no for breakfast. I don't hear it.
Speaker 4: And that's part of what are my life lessons that I try to share with young people, to remind them that you cannot ever be burdened by other people's limited ability to understand who you are like, don't let their limited ability burden you about your own ability.
Speaker 3: You know, you were raised by a single mom. What did that experience tell you about your mom? And what did it tell you about you?
Speaker 1: Well, it told me that.
Speaker 4: One of the things that is precious is to build community and family. Like my mother, she she understood that there is a community that she wanted her children to be raised in, and she was very intentional and.
Speaker 1: Purposeful about that.
Speaker 4: And so I always say to people, even when I took the stage as the nominee for the Democratic nomination, that you know, there is the family that you have by birth, and there is also the family you have by love, and they're equally family, right, And I learned that from my mother.
Speaker 1: So my mother.
Speaker 4: I had all these aunties and uncles, my uncle Sherman, who was one of the first black men to graduate from Berkeley School of Law, who when we were young girls, sat us down and taught us how to play chess because Uncle Sherman said, you need to understand how the chess board.
Speaker 1: Works, because that's the way the world works.
Speaker 4: They're going to be different players with different moves, and you need to see the whole board. My mother raised us around like my Auntie Chris, who went to Howard in the fifties and pledged Alpha Kappa Alpha, and she was one of my incredible role models growing up, and that was one of the big reasons I wanted to go to Howard University and pledge Alphakapa Alpha. Those are some of the lessons that I've learned from my mother, and I try to also share with people. Right, which is the beauty of community and it's the way I am right, which is you know, the children in my life, whether they be my own or you know, my god children or whomever, right that it's a collective responsibility that we have.
Speaker 3: You did you know you were different? I mean, were there a lot of people in the community that looked like you or like your mom, or did your mom tell you you were different?
Speaker 4: Well, my mother taught us to and everyone in my growing up, you know, they would tell all of us kids that we were special.
Speaker 1: I don't think we were particularly right, but they told us we were, and we believed them. We believe them.
Speaker 4: I think that's such an important part of what we can all do for the children and the children in our lives. And you know, but my mother raised two black girls to be proud black women. Wanted you back to music. One of the soundtracks from my childhood was you know you are young, gifted in black, you know, And that's what it was.
Speaker 3: I'll get the.
Speaker 2: Phone number later, and we're back America. Your moderators, they got a hankering for call of duty. They're off playing black Op six scrap. The one is democracy without feedback.
Speaker 3: And without some freemies.
Speaker 2: Here comes a free T shirts.
Speaker 1: Three pointer.
Speaker 3: You lost your mom to cancer. Yeah, you're very close to your mom because you use a single parent and that was pretty much what you had, although you had a community to help raise you. How did you deal? How did you cope with that loss?
Speaker 1: Grief is difficult, it's difficult.
Speaker 4: You know there are two sides to the coin about when you have relationships in your life that touch you deeply, and then to lose that person, it leaves a big void. Right, That's the two sides, and I think that part of what I was just talking about this, But the big part about grief is, especially if you lose somebody to a sickness, to an illness, I think it's really important that you try to remember them as they lived and not as they died, because I think that's how they'd want us to remember them. But also to remember their suffering, which hopefully was a fraction of their time on this earth. Is to compound the grief in a way that I think it adds to the pain. And what they want is that their active memory, that our active memory of them is about when they were vibrant and alive.
Speaker 3: So let's get into things that will change. What will happen if you were to become president, say in the next twelve to thirteen days. Pole suggests that voters trust President Trump former President Trump modeled the economy. What can you tell the voters, our viewing audience, our listening audience that if you were to become president, while Madam VP Karmala Harris will be much better on the economy than what President Trump was.
Speaker 1: Well, so I'm really glad you brought that up. Channel.
Speaker 4: So first of all, let's clear up certain myths. Okay, you know those checks that went.
Speaker 3: Out, Yes, those stimmys, right right, stimulus?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, well, y y, you.
Speaker 3: Gotta be stimulus, but they call them stimmy. It's okay.
Speaker 4: The reason those came about is because there was a demmocratic majority in the House of Representatives in Congress, people like Maxine Waters, people like Hakeem Jeffries right, yes, who did the work of pushing to say people need help right now, and we need to send out checks. There was a whole lot of opposition to it, including from Donald Trump's White House.
Speaker 3: Yes, even him, I think he was.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's why those checks. Remember Congress holds the purse. Yes, so really, Congress wrote those checks. But then Donald Trump, unlike any president before after, decided he put his name on those checks. So people thought Donald Trump, he gave me that check. And so let's clear that up first and foremost. But let's also deal with where he was in terms of his policies on the economy. He gave the biggest tax cuts for billionaires and the biggest corporations, which caused an incredible deficit. He tried to get rid of the Affordable Care Act, which we also call Obamacare, which benefited so many people, including and in particular Black people in America who otherwise were denied by the insurance companies health coverage because of pre existing conditions.
Speaker 3: That's most important. Let the people know, right, with Affordable Care Act, if you have a pre existing condition, insurance companies can no longer deny you coverage.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right.
Speaker 4: And if you think about what that means in the context of also knowing the big health disparities we have in the black community and how more likely therefore black folks might be to have pre existing.
Speaker 3: Conditions loved pressure, diabetes, all of that, and cancers.
Speaker 4: All of that, Yes, asthma for our children, Yes, sickle sales, rance, it's all of that. So by getting rid of the pre existing condition ban, what that did. But he wanted to get rid of the Affordable Care Act. What we have done in part of my policies going forward include what we need to do to not only retain the cap that we got on insult then at thirty five dollars a months for seniors. By the way, black folks are sixty percent more likely to be diagnosed with diabetes. He wants to get rid of it with that project twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Everybody needs to check that out.
Speaker 4: What he would do to get rid of Social Security or at least raise the age to seventy, so you'd have to work to seventy to be able to qualify, get rid of Medicare, get rid of the Affordable Care Act. And that's just on health policy, not to mention bringing back not only tax cuts for the richest people, but what he would do that is about eliminating or reducing the ability of corporations to required to pay overtime overtime pay, so.
Speaker 3: You could work and the corporations wouldn't have to pay you.
Speaker 1: For it for overtime work for free, that's right.
Speaker 4: And overtime means you are actually working a longer day, which means you are more tired, which means it requires more exertion. That's why we have overtime pay, so you don't take advantage of workers. In addition to all of that, we're looking at Donald Trump, basically somebody who has never been and understanding of the issues that affect the community about disparities. And I'm gonna talk, for example, about how when he was a landlord he denied rent to black families. You look at what he did in terms of taking out a full page ad in the New York Times against the Central Park five, which were a bunch of They're not young adults, they were teenagers. Black and brown teenagers took out a full page add in the New York Times calling for their execution for crimes they did not commit.
Speaker 1: They were innocent. Donald Trump who.
Speaker 4: Said of the first black president of the United States, the birtherism to have people question whether he was born in the United States, to try and diminish, and then most recently, you look in this very election legal black immigrants in Springfield, Ohio saying they're eating their pets.
Speaker 1: So, you know, part of what we have to help you understanders. Don't think you're on Donald Trump's club. You're not right. He's not going to be thinking about you. You think he's having you over for dinner.
Speaker 4: You think that when he's going when he's with his buddies, his billionaire buddies, he's thinking about what we need to do to deal with addressing, for example, my work around what I'm doing to address disparities in black men's health around colon cancer, around what we need to do around screenings, what we need to do around prostate cancer. Black men are twice as likely to have and screenings, what we need to do.
Speaker 3: To address I'm a survivor of prostate cancer.
Speaker 1: Right, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Go James and the Lakers are back putting on a show. And you know I got to get the best deal on tickets. That's why I need to tell you about my sponsor, seat geek. With over twenty eight million down low, seat geek is the number one raty ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events on seat geek, including concerts, sports, festivals, and more sports. I'm excited to go see the Lakers dominate the Sixers at the Crip. They put all their tickets across the web in one place to make sure you're getting a good deal. Each ticket is rating on a scale of one to ten. So look for the green dots. Green means good, red means bad. And you know I came through for you guys. Use my code shay Shape for twenty dollars off tickets. It's see Geek. That's twenty dollars off your first purchase with promo code shay Shape. Would you want to touch on some specific things you would like to do to keep them because the economy seems to be heading in the right direction, but the inflation, gas prices extremely high, groceries are extremely high. This rent, I mean it used to be when I was renting. They moved the rent up forty dollars a year. Now the even moving it up four hundred.
Speaker 4: Dec So let's talk about that. I'm glad you raised that. So for example groceries, Yes, the price is still too high.
Speaker 1: You know what, I know it. Yes, part of my plan is to deal with price gouging. I did it when I was Attorney general.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do it as president, which is these companies that will jack up the prices and groceries to take advantage of people in need, and in particular during a crisis like what you see around the pandemic or Hurricane Leen. Yes, Milk right, yes, Milton right.
Speaker 1: So there's that. In terms of housing.
Speaker 4: First of all, we know that black families are forty percent less likely to own their home, and.
Speaker 1: We can go back to redlining. We can go back to policies that were by law.
Speaker 4: Or practice meant to not give black folks equal opportunity to home ownership, especially in certain neighborhoods. We can go back to what happened around the GI Bill and when all those the Great Generation we called them, came back and there was federal policy to say, you all fought for our country, We're going to give you a boost around helping you buy homes, but those black servicemen, and it was mostly meant those black servicemen did not, so you had then a time when there was a boost for it ended up being not for black service members.
Speaker 1: So part of my policy is to.
Speaker 4: One create a fund so that we will give a twenty five thousand dollar down payment to first time homeowners to just help people get in the door. We will deal with the rent issue because part of what we're seeing in Atlanta and places across our countries, these corporations are buying up all these properties, which means then that they don't have to deal with competition between the properties, and they're jacking up rent costs. So it's about also going after that corporate gouging around what they're doing to buy up and then jack up the prices of rent. We also need to help people with small business ownership. I did even before I was running for president, a tour I called it the Opportunity Economy Tour, focused on black men and black entrepreneurs.
Speaker 1: What we know is, unlike Donald Trump, we got four.
Speaker 4: Hundred million dollars handed to him practically on a silver platter. And by the way, Shannon file for bankruptcy six times. Everybody wants to say he's a great businessman, take a look at his record. I know that so many of our entrepreneurs who have great ideas don't have access to capital, but they have serious work ethic, great ideas, and a plan to do the work. So part of my plan is to increase access to capital, including giving twenty thousand dollars forgivable loans for startup capital for people to buy the equipment, and then to change the tax deduction so whereas it is now five thousand dollars, to make it fifty thousand dollars to start a new business, because nobody can start a new business on five thousand dollars, and the direct benefit when we're looking at black entrepreneurs is profound and all it is is about saying this Americans in general, regardless of their racer gender, we have ambition, We have aspirations, we have dreams, but not everyone has access to the opportunity to let some actually accomplish that.
Speaker 1: I want to increase access to opportunity.
Speaker 3: Listen. Unfortunately, I've gone viral a few times, but I've never gone viral for gop once for weight loss. So you've probably heard about the once weekly shot that can help you lose an average of twenty percent of your weight in a year when combined with diet and exercise. But you also may have heard that out of pocket costs can be huge and figuring out insurance coverage is wild. Now Road is making it easier to see if you're covered for golp ones to help you get the best price out there. Want to hear my favorite part, They'll check for free. Yep, it won't cost you a dime to find out if your insurance will cover golp ones. One hundred thousand members in counting have trusted Road to check their coverage and get the mass at the best price possible. Depending on their insurance playing. Just submit your insurance card and ROLL will create a personal insurance coverage report so you can understand your options. Go to road dot co slash Shannon for your free insurance coverage report. That's ro dot co slash Shannon. Start losing weight sooner with GLP one's through row METMBP. If you were to become president, what measures would you put in place to make sure Social Security benefits continue? Because there are reports that it could possibly be depleted by twenty thirty three, and they're estimated that eleven thousand people turn at least sixty five years of age every single Yeah, so what are you going to do to make sure because that you know people disability to retirement survivors with beneficiary, what are you going to do to make sure that that continues?
Speaker 4: So, Shannon, to your point, there was an independent economic review of Donald Trump's plan which shows that Social Security in the next six years would be insolvent under his plan, meaning that it would not be able to pay out what hardworking people who deserve dignity and their retirement deserve.
Speaker 1: And as you and I both know, there are a lot of our seniors who their only source.
Speaker 4: Of income is a social Security check, correct, right, is they're the only way they're going to pay the rent or have food on the table. So my plan is about doing what we need to do to put the resources back into social security, but also expanding it because here's part of the problem of social security is that for our aging seniors, if they are a couple, for example, and one of the spouse passes, that cuts their social Security benefits almost in half. So part of my plan is to reconfigure it so that that surviving spouse does not then have a crisis where they've already lost their loved one. But we also just have to understand on a macro level, we've got to require that billionaires of corporations pay their fair share right they can afford to. And that's part of what is the difference between me and Donald Trump. My plan is about tax cuts for small businesses, for working people, for middle class people. One hundred million Americans will benefit around tax cuts. My plan is that no taxes will be raised for anybody making less than four hundred thousand dollars a year. My plan is that we give young parents a six thousand dollars child tax credit to help them pay for childcare for a crib bar or car seat, because you and I both know the vast majority of our young parents have a natural desire to parent their children well, but not always the resources. And back to the way I was raised, I know that the children of the community are the children of the community that you and I will benefit from that young family having the resources they need. So it's about all of us benefiting. But it's a state of mind, and it's a perspective. Mine is about thinking about the challenges people face and getting them help. Donald Trump is full time focused on himself. You watch his rallies. He will spend full time talking about I was going to say, Freddy Krueger Hannibal Lecter might as well be Freddy Krueger Hannibal Lecter. He'll spend full time talking about his grievances, about what everyone has done to him. He'll talk about himself, but he does not talk about the American people. He does not talk about what he's going to do for middle class he does not talk about what he's going to do for families, for working people.
Speaker 1: And we're twelve days out.
Speaker 4: This is probably one of the most serious elections that we have faced in our lifetime my perspective, and I will be the kind of president who spends full time focused on the needs of the people. That has been my career. I have spent my whole career as a public servant trying to uplift the condition of other people, knowing what is possible and doing it with a sense of optimism. On January twentieth, a new president is going into the White House.
Speaker 1: Period.
Speaker 4: A new president is going into the White House. Do you want to look at the Oval Office and see a Donald Trump who's going to be sitting there filling out his enemy's list, spending full time figuring out retribution and revenge. Or looking at the Oval Office and knowing you have a president in there who is creating a to do list that's about what to do to help the American people.
Speaker 3: So raising minimum age of social Security that's not on the table for you.
Speaker 1: No, No, here's the look.
Speaker 4: People work hard all their lives and they deserve to be able to retire with dignity. I'll tell you how I come at this. I come at it from a number of perspectives, including thinking about how I was raised. In terms of how you take care of the elders, right. I think about it in terms of taking care of my mother when she was sick and dying from cancer. So one of my policies, for example, is to help Medicare pay for home health care for seniors. Why because look, I did it, and it means, you know, trying to cook for an elder, to make something they feel like eating, right, to help them put on a sweater. And we have so many people who are in the Sandwich generation. They're raising their young kids and taking care of their parents.
Speaker 1: And either they have to.
Speaker 4: Deplete their savings to qualify for Medicaid right to be able to help pay for home health care, or they have to quit their job to do the work of taking care of their kids and their parent.
Speaker 1: And I just believe that's not right.
Speaker 4: That we should have policies that give people dignity, especially our seniors. So my plan is Medicare pays for home health care. And no, I would not raise the age of eligibility for Social Security because the same thing, we shouldn't force people to work until they're seventy in order to retire and have a moment to just enjoy their life and not worry about how they're going to pay their rent.
Speaker 3: It's Medicare for all a priority for you?
Speaker 4: What is a no, What is a priority for me is making sure that access to health care is a right and not just a privilege of those who can afford it. That's why I am in favor of and have pushed and been a leader on capping the cost of insulent thirty five dollars a month. And why intend to allow Medicare to actually negotiate against the big pharmaceutical companies to bring down the cost of prescription medication for everybody. That's why I have fought for war we need to do around making sure Medicare covers senior care. Access to healthcare should not be a question of how much money you have in your back pocket. That's just not right, and I feel strongly about that.
Speaker 3: Blacks for Trump, they feel that Trump is better for the black community. Can you explain that Donald Trump's history with blacks? Where did this come back all of a sudden. I mean, it's been like this because a lot of people used to say I'm Donald Trump or the ghetto because he would I mean for a lot of blacks, not all, but for some black matterm be people. Whether we want to admit it or not. He's revered by some blacks.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing, the question for everybody. Should he be president of the United States? Okay, right, that's the question. Should he have the ability to sit behind the seal of the President of the United States When he says he wants to determine it the Constitution of the United States. You know what that would mean in the Constitution the United States? Is your Fourth Amendment right against unreasonable search and seizure, your Fifth Amendment right, your sixth Amendment right to an attorney.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of rights will be going to first Amendment.
Speaker 4: But the first Amendment, the second Amendment. Look, I'm in favor of the second Amendment. I don't believe we should be taking anybody's guns away. He wants to terminate the Constitution.
Speaker 1: The United States.
Speaker 4: He is the same one, like I said earlier, who denied rent to black families, who took out that full page ad in the New York Times calling for the execution of those children who birtherism accusations against the first black president. Not to mention his please ask folks to google Project twenty twenty five. He would get rid of the thirty five dollars a month cap on insulin. We know how many of our seniors had it. I'll give you another example of why Donald Trump has not earned the support of folks to be president of the United States again. When he was president the last time during the height of COVID. During the height of COVID, one in three black Americans knew somebody who died from COVID. You remember those days, and people couldn't get their hands on a COVID test. At that very same time, Donald Trump as president, secretly sent COVID tests to the President of Russia for his personal use while Americans were dying every day. He has not earned the right to be president of the United States.
Speaker 1: It's one thing. If he has a television show that's very popular, he.
Speaker 4: Can put his name on a building, even though we all know he was not a terribly good businessman, which is why he filed for bankruptcy six times.
Speaker 1: But that is one thing.
Speaker 4: To be president of the United States means to try and find common ground, to build consensus, to lift up the American can people instead of trying to beat people down all the time. It means solving problems, which means you have to be able to get out of your own head and scan to be concerned about the well being of other people and then do something about it.
Speaker 1: Does anyone think Donald Trump thinks that way?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, empathy to require you to divorce your own ego to see yourself as someone else.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right, That's exactly and we know that's not his character. So it's about is this the right person for that job? Right?
Speaker 3: He said, immigrants are taking black jobs. I don't know what those black jobs that they're taking. Can you elaborate on that, what the immigrants are taking? What black jobs are they?
Speaker 4: Well, it's just another example of him trying to divide and him trying to scare people. It's just another example of him doing that, of him trying to say it's either you or them, right, And the other thing is that it's incredibly demeaning because and he still has not been for define Donald Trump, what do you define as a black job, Because let me tell you what I define as a black job, vice President of the United States.
Speaker 3: It's a good one, right, it is. I don't know about to pay, but it's a good job to have. Well, you know, not everybody is, you know, what I want to ask, you've been in basically your adult life, you've been a public.
Speaker 1: Service, yes, I have. But ag my whole adult life.
Speaker 3: You've been a DA, You've been a senator, you've been VP. Is that what you envisioned, is that what you always wanted to be was a public servant.
Speaker 1: I've always wanted to serve.
Speaker 2: You know, I.
Speaker 4: Was raised I mean back to whether you are however you are raised, in the community in which you are raised, including the church and which you are raised. I have always believed that it is an important pursuit to figure out how you can serve it.
Speaker 1: And we can do it in different ways.
Speaker 4: Right, I chose public service, you chose a different But it's about service. And I have always I mean, I've only had one client my entire life, the people what I and the reason I keep doing it is because I know the difference that I and we can make when we believe in what is possible and then work hard at it. And my pledge in this campaign to everyone, regardless of who you are, where you live, what you look like, I will be a president for all Americans, and I will work to bring our country back together because frankly, I think people are exhausted with the anger, with the hate, with the division, the attempt to have Americans pointing their fingers at each other. I think people are exhausting. It's not healthy for the productivity of our country. Do we want to strive? Do we want to thrive or do we want to spend full time with vengeance? The meaning of the po and living a life of services about I think the importance of lifting people up, not tearing them down.
Speaker 3: My team here at Chasha Media is always growing and making moves. Sometimes it's a challenge to find qualified candidates, especially when I need them right away. Thankfully, there's a place you can go for help. Zip Recruiter. Zip recruiter does to work for you to make hiring fast and easy and right now. You can try for free at ZipRecruiter dot com sh Shay Shap. Zip recruiter smart technology will start showing your job to qualified candidates immediately, and zip recruiters powerful matching technology works fast to find top talent so you don't waste time or money finding the right candidates. You can invite top candidates for your job to apply to encourage them to apply sooner, experience faster, easier hiring with zip recruiter. Four out of five employers who post on zip recruiter get quality candidates within the first day. See for yourself. Just go to ZipRecruiter dot com slash schay shap right now to try for free. That's the same price as a genuine smile from a stranger, a picture perfect sunset, or even a cute dog running up to you and licking your hand. Try for free at this exclusive web address, ZipRecruiter dot com slash shay sha. Again, that's ZipRecruiter dot com slash shay sha. Zip recruiter the smartest way to hire. I've read some blacks say the problem that they have to you is that you're making political promises and that you're just pandering. The problem that I have with that it just seems like only black people pander. Like when other candidates go and shows and they say they're gonna do this, they're they're not pandering. They're telling you, laying out their elaborate plan on what they're going to do. But it seems to you when you promise that if I'm president, this is what I'm gonna do in the first ninety days, this is what I'm gonna do it. My administration's gonna do while I'm in office. You're pandering. How do you get through to those that says, look, this is what I'm going to do if I'm elected president. These are the policies, and they will lead to meaningful and impactful change.
Speaker 1: Well, part of it is just to be candid.
Speaker 4: I think that there's sadly a misinformation out there about who I am and what I've done, because if people are informed about fact, they will know that almost everything that I'm talking about doing as president is built on a foundation of work that I've been doing for years.
Speaker 1: If it is about.
Speaker 4: Economic empowerment of the Black community in all communities, I've been working on that. As Vice President, I am responsible for billions of dollars from big banks and big corporations, including technology companies, getting into community banks to increase access to capital for minority owned and other small businesses. If you look at my work over a period of years, my focus again on something like maternal mortality is long standing, which directly impacts black.
Speaker 1: Men and black women right and the black family.
Speaker 4: If you look at the work that I am doing that is about small businesses, you know, the person who helped my mother raise us, who was a second mother to us, was a small business owner. I have always focused for such a long time on what we need to do, knowing that our small businesses are part of the culture of our communities, right including the economic fabric and strength of the community. So what I'm talking about doing right now is based on long standing work. It's not new, but as president of the United States, part of why it is important is it is a new approach to that job. It is about a new way that is based on a new generation of leadership, that is based on new ideas and frankly, a different experience that brings my commitment to the work I am talking about into being.
Speaker 3: Can you give us a breakdown of how you will allow blacks and the minorities to access capital, because you speak a lot about capital, and in order for people to become successful and have some wealth is that they need to have access. And that's right it started.
Speaker 4: So that's in fact, why I did, starting last year or earlier this year, my economic opportunity to wait before I was running for president, because I realized that so many of our entrepreneurs don't actually have that. We need to do better in getting information to people about what's available to them. So, for example, through the Small Business Administration, there are funds available to help people create a business plan, There is resources available to help people just know how that you need to run a payroll, how you need to pay business taxes. Part of my plan, by the way, is to simplify taxes for small businesses. I like to say, it's basically Dow gonna date myself, Like you remember the ten forty Did you ever have to do a ten forty?
Speaker 1: Easy? Probably?
Speaker 4: Never? Okay I did, But you know, simplifying tax returns for people, including our small businesses. But the work that I have done and will continue to do is about knowing that we don't lack for hard work, we don't lack for good ideas, but we do lack for information about the help that is available. So that's part of how it is going to be about increasing access to capital. Part of it is about putting more money. So I called up and got in touch with and worked with some of the big CEOs of the biggest corporations in America and said, and the big banks that you all don't necessarily you're not there in the community where you can get one hundred thousand dollars loan to a small business. You guys deal at a different level, but those one hundred thousand dollar loans for a startup will go a long way.
Speaker 1: Let's get get those billions of dollars that you've.
Speaker 4: Got, put them into community banks who are in the community, who know what the community needs, what they want, what the consumers theyre want, and then support those small businesses.
Speaker 1: So that's my approach to access to capital.
Speaker 4: Including making sure that people have again simplifying taxes for small businesses. You know why, Shannon, small businesses can't afford to hire a bunch of accountants and a bunch of lawyers. But that shouldn't be the reason they fail because they didn't fill.
Speaker 1: Out the form properly. Right, So my approach is.
Speaker 4: Really understanding the culture, understanding the needs, and then trying to fix problems. I love fixing problems with common sense solutions. And again, look, Donald Trump is never he is never going to relate necessarily to the kind of folks that I'm talking about, who on the ground just need to be seen and heard. And then let's fix the problems. Let's address the challenges to let them not just get by, but get ahead. And I want to put a fine point on this. Maybe it's a new perspective.
Speaker 1: I think it is.
Speaker 4: I believe that we have had great success in bringing black unemployment down.
Speaker 1: To historic loaves. Yes, but for me, that's a floor.
Speaker 4: For me, that's a floor because what I know is that it should be baseline that everybody's working.
Speaker 1: That's not enough.
Speaker 4: People want to build wealth, yes, and intergenerational wealth, correct, and I want to help people do that right. I know, what if folks want to be able to take a nice vacation from time time, have nice Christmas gifts for their kids under the tree, and it can't just be about well, you've got a job, applaud me for what I've.
Speaker 1: Done for you. And that's the spirit with which I do my work.
Speaker 3: I saw President Trump on a TV show and he talked about defunding the Department of Education. Yes, basically we know that's going to affect communities like us that don't have the resources. And then because he says he doesn't if they talked about slavery, they talked about slavery, which is a part of our history.
Speaker 1: It's up that they're trying to cover up that they're trying to cover up.
Speaker 3: To talk about racism. And he said, well, what we would do if they talked about it, they wouldn't get funding. And we know what communities are going to be most impacted by non funding.
Speaker 4: And understand that they want to get rid of the Department of Education and get rid of head Start. You know whose kids are a head start? They want to it is And to your point, and I'm so glad you pointed this out. You know, these are the same people who basically suggested that enslaved people benefited from slavery, the same people who are trying to ban and are banning books. And again, if we don't teach America's full history, we will never ensure that we don't make the same yes to do those same things again.
Speaker 3: Let's learn from that painful part of our history to make sure we don't repeat it, but not by not covering it up. Let's have an open and honest conversation about it.
Speaker 4: It happened, and the effects of it, yes, and the present day effects of it.
Speaker 3: I think we both agree. I think we can all agree on this that there is a problem with I don't know how the correct term I think it's undocumented. How do we get how do we get a hold on that matter? VP? How do we make sure because I think I've heard you say you want a path to citizenship, but we want to, you know, make sure people come in and do things properly.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly right.
Speaker 4: So first of all, I have personally prosecuted transnational criminal organizations for the trafficking of guns, drugs, and human beings. I have prosecuted the Sinaloa cartel, Okay, the guadalajarror cartel. So I put my record up to anybody in terms of how strongly I feel about having a secure border and making sure that there is not that kind of trafficking into America. I also know that we need to put more resources at the border, which is why I supported a bill that came about, including from the most conservative members of Congress, to put fifteen hundred more border agents at the border to do what we need to do to cut down the flow of fentanyl coming into the United States, which is killing people of every race and background. With more resources would have gone to prosecuting human trafficking. Donald Trump got word of that bill, and he knew it would be a solution to a problem, which is that we have a broken immigration system. He got word of the bill and he told his friends in Congress, don't put it up for a vote, don't let it go any further, because you see, he wants to run on a problem instead of fixing a problem, and is putting out tens of millions of dollars of campaign commercials full time trying to suggest that he cares about strengthening a border when he had an opportunity to participate in a solution, which he killed because he's not.
Speaker 1: About problem solving, it's about a political game for him.
Speaker 4: My point is we got to strengthen the border, and we need to have an immigration system that is fair and humane and strong in terms of making sure that people have to earn citizenship, they have to work hard to get it. My plan includes also strengthening what we need to do in terms of illegal entry in between ports of entry, what we need to do to put more support for border patrol agents, put more technology at the border. But it includes also you know, I'm never going to talk about people from Haiti eating their pets, and I think that we also know we don't want an immigration system that's about separating children from their parents. We can do it in a humane way. But the bottom line is we can fix these problems. The solutions are at hand. He stands in the world and in particular on this issue.
Speaker 3: If you were to become president, would you ask Congress to bring re institute that build and try to get it through.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. And also I would work across the aisle with Republicans. There are a lot of Republicans supporting me in this campaign, and I would work with Republicans to bring this bill back up so I can sign it into law. And I do want to talk about that for a moment. This is not twenty sixteen or twenty twenty in terms of how people are thinking about Donald Trump. He was president, and the people who worked the most closely with him, Republicans at the highest level, his former chief of staff, his former defense secretaries, his former national security advisor, and his former vice president have collectively said he is dangerous and unfit to be president of the United States.
Speaker 1: And Shannon, you can just watch his rallies.
Speaker 4: I mean, did you see that thirty nine minutes of him swaying back back and forth to Ymca. No, the man you have to watch and I encourage everybody who's watching this watch what he's doing at these rallies. He is increasingly unstable and unfit to be president, according to the people who knew in best, all Republicans, by the way I just referred to, who know he is unfit to be commander, and she he who will talk about service members. A lot of your listeners and the people who are a fan of your show have served or do serve in the United States military. He talks about military service members as being uncourageous, as being cowards, suckers, and losers. This is how the man talks. And so let's not get distracted by who he was on the Apprentice. Let's not get distracted by whatever you know building in whatever city in Vegas or wherever has his name on it. Let's look at the job of president of the United States and is he fit to do that job? And by the people who know him best, including some most recently a four star Marine general, his former chief of staff, they all say, those who know him best, he is unfit and dangerous.
Speaker 3: The previous administration, your administration that you were in. They got kudos for the student loan relief. What's the contingency plan, because I see it's still trying to go through and some of the courts have shot it down. Do you have a contingency plan to continue the student relief.
Speaker 4: I'm going to keep fighting for it, and yes, because first of all, what I know is that too many people have been weighed down by their student loan debt. Yes, to the point they question whether they can have a family, whether they can can retire at some point where they could buy a home. So that's why I pushed for what we did around student loan debt. And thankfully, for example, we have billions of dollars in student loan debt reliefs that have gone, for example, to public servants like teachers and nurses and firefighters.
Speaker 1: But there's more we need to do.
Speaker 4: But you know, if I go into various communities like here in Atlanta and ask people how many people got their student debt relieved, the number of hands that go up and the life changing experience people have had reminds me of the importance of this fight, and I'm going to continue to do it.
Speaker 3: Have you let people know that President Trump, if you were to get back in the office, he wants to offer police complete immunity that they can do no wrong, no matter what how gregious the act may be. They have complete immunity. Do people understand what that? Do they really understand what that means? Matter? VP?
Speaker 1: I hope so.
Speaker 4: And I encourage people to go online to see how he says it. I encourage people to go online to see how he talks about a day of violence? Did you ever see the movies? Understand? I again, don't take my word for it. Take his, Yeah, take his and see where he stands on these issues.
Speaker 3: I want to get you out of here on this one, a madam, VP, You like myself attended and graduated from a historically black institution proudly, and it just goes to show you if you look at myself stephen A. Michael Strahan, three of the most prominent voices in morning television, attended and graduated from an HBC and self ascended to the highest of eyes graduated from an HBCU. What would you what message would you like to share with students that all these historically black university and colleges. What would you like what message would you like to share them?
Speaker 4: Oh? No, your excellence and know we are so proud of you. And we want you to have ambition. We applaud your ambition. We want you to know you can do and be anything, and don't ever hear know and that know you stand on broad shoulders right because part of what we know is we have a legacy. We do and we stand then in that path knowing that we also have the honor and the duty of excelling in every way possible, being able to see what is possible and not be.
Speaker 1: Burdened by other people's limited ability to see the same.
Speaker 3: One more thing, I think something that's very, very near and dear to your heart is Roby Wade. Yeah, I think fifty plus here, I think seventy two seventy three when it was Roe v. Wade said, Hey, women have the right to their bodies, and all of a sudden the Supreme Court struck it down and says, no, you don't, we have control over that. What would that mean to you? So how do you get that? How do you go back and fight to make sure women still have control of a of their bodies?
Speaker 1: So I'm so glad you brought up chan.
Speaker 4: First of all, think about one of the most basic rights that you could imagine is the right for you to be able to make decisions about your own body.
Speaker 3: Your own body, your reproductive rising.
Speaker 4: And the court just took that right away from women to make decisions about their own body and not have their government tell them what to do. And I think an important emphasis for me is you don't have to give up your faith or deeply held beliefs on this subject to agree. The government shouldn't be telling her what to do. If she chooses, she'll talk with her pastor, her priest, or rabbi, her a mom, but not the government telling her. And we need to fight against us. We need to understand how many women are suffering miscarriage and being denied help because the doctors are afraid they may land up in jail. In Texas, do you know they provide prison for life for doctors or nurses who provide reproductive prison for life?
Speaker 1: Shannon in the state of Georgia, a beautiful young.
Speaker 4: Woman, a mother of a six year old son, died because of these Trump abortion bands.
Speaker 1: The majority of black women and the men who love them live in the South.
Speaker 4: Do you know in every state in the South except for Virginia, there is a Trump abortion band.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do. Hopefully everybody else knows that also.
Speaker 4: Right, and so we all have to stand, regardless of your gender, regardless of your race, your background, we have to stand and say, look, this is just simply not right, and we cannot stand for the notion that Donald Trump could be president of the United States.
Speaker 3: He who.
Speaker 4: Chose a Supreme Court that would take this right from the women of America and the men who love them, and now we have women suffering to such an extent as they are. I think it's one of the most fundamental rights that's at play.
Speaker 3: One more thing before you go, Madam VP, Yes, who's the real hut?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I didn't go to either one. So I just I just wanted to hear you, you know, Madam VP.
Speaker 5: Caminar, thank you, Thank you all my life, grinding all my life, sacrifice, hustle the price, want to slice? Got the browap all my life. I've been grinding all my life, all my.
Speaker 3: Life, and grinning all my life. Sacrifice, hustle, p Price, want to slice?
Speaker 5: Got the brother swap all my life.
Speaker 3: I've been grinding all my life. The NBA is finally back in new season, mean new ways to get into the action that Draft Kings Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA. Who's draining three from beyond the arc? Who's trashing the boards? And grab it rebounds? Get behind your favorite player and prop bet you can make on DraftKings home of the NBA Player props. Ready to place your first bet? Try betting on something as simple as picking your team to win. Go to Draft Kings Sportsbook app and place your bet first time. New Draftking customers can bet five dollars to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets. Instantly take it to the right with Draft Kings Sportsbook Every point count Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use code Money Moves, that's money Moves for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only on Draft Kings. The Crown is yours. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hop and wire text hope and wy at four six seven three sixty nine. In Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org eighteen and over in most eligible states, but age varies by jurisdiction. Eligibility or restrictions apply. One percuss clsomer enter the Best Ball fifteen million dollar contest by nine five, twenty four to get one bonus entry. Twenty dollars entry fee required. Reward expires at contestlock on nine five, twenty four. See terms at DraftKings dot com slash dfs