Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shots streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Effson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it is time for another edition of mix Shots high noon on a Thursday, which is actually a Friday from the Cowboys standpoint, because the game is.
Speaker 4: On Saturday, not on Sunday.
Speaker 5: This week Saturday Night Football Cowboys and the Detroit.
Speaker 2: It's a Monday night special edition on Saturday night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, so be gues. We got a national that's because we.
Speaker 5: Have national semifinal games on Monday night, New Year's Night. Switching to college football, and I am here to announce there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Only two more Mixed Shots with Mickey wearing that Missouri garb.
Speaker 6: You don't like a peacock, but it's a good thing. There's only five days in a week. Because I don't think I have anything else. No, I got a sweatshirt for tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Okay, it could be one of those bright yellow sweatshirt and a battles old as hell, the oldest one.
Speaker 6: I do have a gold sweatshirt, but it's not a Missouri.
Speaker 7: What are you wearing of the game tomorrow night.
Speaker 6: I haven't decided.
Speaker 2: You got to go buy something.
Speaker 6: I might have to. I ran out of time today because they were selling stuff at.
Speaker 4: The Okay, so Mickey just made it here in time.
Speaker 5: Because he was at the Cutton Bowl breakfast.
Speaker 6: Coach coaching breakfast.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And as a matter of act, I have a New Year's present.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, that come with the credentials this year.
Speaker 2: No, I came with.
Speaker 4: The freebie.
Speaker 2: That reminds me.
Speaker 5: I need to go pick up my media credentials to see to get my freebie.
Speaker 4: Whatever it is you're going to go.
Speaker 6: To the game to cover it, just go for a media guy.
Speaker 5: You just go, uh pick up the credentials because there's victual swag.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's right, very nice.
Speaker 2: I'm just glad you got your chair back man. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was so funny watching back deep in the in the in the corner.
Speaker 6: It was dark.
Speaker 4: It was of the SMBC podcast.
Speaker 2: About the shadows, Like, Hey, I.
Speaker 4: Got something and I got to tell you.
Speaker 6: I was like it was like when we started Rob Rob phillots out. He was at the table off to the side, right, talk about Savannah. You really advanced.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's sure, you a lot more respect than we.
Speaker 5: And I got to say I actually walked out of here injured yesterday because Mickey was seated back.
Speaker 4: Over my left shoulder. I had to twist around and whenever he talked, and I'm no, lie, my back hurt. The rest of the afternoon. I got home and I got on one of those little rollers you.
Speaker 2: Know that that yeah, the phone roller?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Are you feeling better today?
Speaker 4: I am better today.
Speaker 6: Yes, we are to the injury.
Speaker 2: Limited.
Speaker 5: He limited injured during mix shots. Now I can understand the listener getting injured during mix shots.
Speaker 6: One of the teams, right.
Speaker 2: But it was fun though. I want to mention how funny was to have campe on man. Yeah, it was so good stuff. You know.
Speaker 6: He always kept apologizing afterwards, Oh, I think I talked too much. I said, no, No, that's why we had you out.
Speaker 5: And it's we could have you one again today because he could go on and on talking about Darren Woodson.
Speaker 4: Who once again is a finalist, second year in a row for the Hall of Fame. One of the fifteen finalists.
Speaker 6: You know, between YouTube, between you two guys, I'm exhausted just trying to explain why you belong in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: And it shouldn't really go with any explanation. I mean, the guy, how many times is this? How many times has it?
Speaker 5: He's a work for wood He it was eight times to.
Speaker 4: Advance to the finalist round.
Speaker 5: He has been a semi finalist, semifinalist, but top twenty five, but down to the fifteen finalists.
Speaker 4: It's his second straight year.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. Yeah, he's only got that far.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I mean that's as far as you can get.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean in regards he should have there should have been many more times if you're gonna yeah, right, nominated.
Speaker 5: And so and without running down the list of the fifteen finalists, I mean you have two first time UH finalists UH and first year of eligibility and that's Antonio Gates and Julius Peppers and so we'll see whether they get voted in their first year of eligibility.
Speaker 2: Are there anymore safeties or Harrison?
Speaker 4: Rodney Harrison.
Speaker 2: Now they're going to put him ahead of Woody. You see he's on TV all the day time. Give me a break, man. I can see I can see it coming. I can see it coming.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, they're going to say, well he won Super Bowls. Well you know what, Oh.
Speaker 2: Man, that's crazy anyway, kind of bringing place.
Speaker 5: But coach Campbo was the one who was the first cowboy basically staffer only coaching staff it went to Tempe and scouted the Arizona State players and uh, he was the one that discovered Darren Woodson there.
Speaker 4: In fact, it was.
Speaker 5: Philippi Sparks that he went there to scout, and then Jimmy gave him a list of other players and wood.
Speaker 2: He spots I played with him. Yeah, New York Times.
Speaker 6: Dad of Jordan's Sparks.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, that's right. That's crazy to.
Speaker 6: Hear a funny story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's why we're here. By your story, You're not. We're going to endure.
Speaker 6: We're in Phoenix. I think it was Phoenix. Where did Philippi play for the Giants?
Speaker 4: That's what we just established.
Speaker 6: What I'm saying before. But I thought he had played, No, he was drafted. What was his connection to to Phoenix? Did he Arizona State may Or?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's went to Arizona State.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 6: So we're at the hotel and it's one of these glass elevators, right, and so I get in there and he came in, Philip A did and we were just chatting and we're going up and up, and he's looking out over It was one of these atrium hotels, going out and looking and he goes, hey, you see that floor over there, that one that that room right there, and I go yeah, he goes, that's where I conceived my daughter.
Speaker 2: Wow, well, thank you for that information. Help you mean it's a good room for that? That was good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was just going back through history. He was back playing for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Don't get on. Don't get on an elevator like that will do a set if the back is out of it and you're going ups, he's afraid the heights. Oh really, and he will not turn around and look out the like.
Speaker 7: A glass elevator turned around.
Speaker 2: So he's petrified. Was the St. Bonaventure in l A, right, that hotel?
Speaker 6: I think that's yeah, yeah, yeah, they're known for that.
Speaker 2: It's it's you know, the out the back is clear, and he uh got he was petrified.
Speaker 6: Hopefully they didn't stay at the High next to the super Dome in New Orleans. Yeah, oh it's and it's like thirty floors hot.
Speaker 2: I think is pretty high. I think that's the reason it's all glass. Yeah. Crazy.
Speaker 6: All right, we got a football game.
Speaker 5: We do and and it's not the Cotton Bowl that we're going to talk about Tomorrow night. We'll talk about the game at at and talk about that Monday we go.
Speaker 7: You have to.
Speaker 2: I got confidence.
Speaker 7: To fights on Monday, hopefully that's right.
Speaker 6: Why is Oklahoma playing?
Speaker 7: No, No, you're the tomorrow Tomorrow is fight?
Speaker 4: So on Friday, yeah, play.
Speaker 7: Tomorrow and then you know, Monday, will we'll.
Speaker 5: Play the Ohio State and if Oklahoma want money, we'll play Boomer sooner.
Speaker 2: Are we Are we playing tonight?
Speaker 4: By the way, Yes they are. Yeah, it doesn't it's a playing Alamo Bowl. Oh, we don't get excited about bulls. I want to sit to college football playoffs. That's why we're excited about the Longhorns playing in the Sugar Bowl against them. No, I'm searing for them.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, you got you got pulled for the Big twelve. Man, if you're in the Big twelve, see my brother never understood that he's a ut man. I'm an old u man. He seems to think that if ou makes it, then it's you know, he can't pull for them. That's so selfish.
Speaker 5: See, my daddy always told me growing up in Irving, Okay, and so I'm a Texan even though I was born in Oklahoma.
Speaker 6: Could he tell you?
Speaker 4: And yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: And even though my whole family is Sooners. In fact, the northwest end entrance to the stadium our rich side of the family. They purchased basically that side of the stadium. Yeah, and uh, at the entrance whatever, it has their name on it. And even though we got those kind of ties to Oklahoma, he always taught me, when, oh, us not playing Texas, you're rooting for Texas.
Speaker 4: So I'm rooting for.
Speaker 2: The long words. Yeah, my brother is so selfish. He hates you like you can hate them. But if you guys don't have a chance to represent the Big twelve, then roots for the ones that do. Like Nope, I cannot.
Speaker 6: Which by which, by the way, your new commissioner was at the breakfast too.
Speaker 5: How about that, oh the SEC commissioner, I said, your new commission.
Speaker 4: Try there's an SEC team playing in the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you guys are going to be rivals again.
Speaker 5: We used to be rivals, were in the Big Eight playing Big eight and Big twelve Land next year we are yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's that's one of the ws on the state.
Speaker 6: As I told him, as long as they can score, as long as they can score forty four game, yeah, because with their defense, Missouri is putting up forty so grambled.
Speaker 2: In North Texas. That just doesn't have the same ring.
Speaker 7: Exactly as that'll be entertaining to watch each other.
Speaker 2: You know, we're cool, you guys.
Speaker 5: I want to hear about an injury report.
Speaker 6: So we got another layer to the Matt will let's go being elevated to I mean activated off injured return, injured reserve reserve, because not only was this twenty one days up, so they had to make a decision either put him on the fifty three or he's out for the rest.
Speaker 2: Of the year.
Speaker 6: Somebody the name of Tumu showed up at the injury port with a toe injury limited. So I think they were number one still concerned about Tyron Smith, but number two now worried about their death. So what happened to well, practice I guess, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, man, come, what's going on? What's going on?
Speaker 6: Let's see, he was not was he was added to the injury report because he was limited on Tuesday. So Wednesday limited toe, so.
Speaker 4: He wasn't d and B he was just Limitedyeah.
Speaker 5: Now the left tackle for the Lions, Taylor Decker, he is as.
Speaker 6: He went from limited with a groin to d NP.
Speaker 4: Let me give you a.
Speaker 5: Little something on the Lions offensive line, which is one of the best offensive lines in football at left tackle Taylor Decker, former first round draft pick out of Ohio State, Mickey right uh and then yet Pa on the other side, who might be the best tackle in football the way he's playing.
Speaker 6: He's listed with a shoulder but practicing fully.
Speaker 5: But if the they have three first round former first round draft picks on their offensive line and two third round draft picks who started guard okay uh.
Speaker 4: I did the research on it.
Speaker 5: And when that offensive line is healthy this season all five starters are playing, the Lions are.
Speaker 4: Seven to zero.
Speaker 5: If any one of those starters is missing due to an injury, they are four and four. So that's how critical that Taylor Decker could be. That mean something, that could mean something.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: What's the running backs name? David?
Speaker 5: Two of them, David, Montgomery and Gibbs. They got who have both combined for over They have combined for over two thousand yards from scrimmage in twenty one touchdowns. You thought those two running backs last week were a handful, Well you got another handful this week.
Speaker 4: Was Montgomery and Gibbs.
Speaker 6: Try and remember who compared him to Zeke and Tony Pollard. Maybe it was Parsons. They were talking about the different styles of running under lightning, or maybe it was Osa. I talked to both of them, one of the two they were talking about. Yeah, it's kind of a change up. They're not both the same.
Speaker 5: Montgomery's two hundred and twenty five pounder ran four to six. Okay, so he's your Zeke and although Zeke actually ran faster that but uh. And then Gibbs runs a four three five and he's a two hundred pounder. And but Paulard's a little bigger than him. But man, he's got some purse, he can go.
Speaker 4: He got some juice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they want to run the football. I believe they're number three rushing off.
Speaker 5: I mean, you can tell you go back to their first draft after Dan Campbell got there. Remember the scene in the draft room at Detroit when they drafted Pina Suol.
Speaker 4: Those those coaches were high five.
Speaker 2: In each other.
Speaker 4: It was a seventh overall pick.
Speaker 5: The big offensive tack a lot of Washington, and that set the tone for what they want to do as a football team, running the football, and they have improved immenseally running the football and also stopping the run.
Speaker 4: Also.
Speaker 5: You know, they were twenty ninth in the league in run defense last year and their fourth this year, and.
Speaker 7: That's a big different.
Speaker 6: But their nineteenth and past defense, well you can see what kind of game this is.
Speaker 4: Going to be.
Speaker 8: They did it against the Vikings last week. They Vikings had four hundred and eleven passing yards, so they let up a good amount down the field.
Speaker 6: So when I was listening, so yeah, with Nick Mullens throwing them.
Speaker 2: Exactly this man.
Speaker 6: So when I was listening to NFL radio, I think it was last night.
Speaker 4: I got you listening to serious NFL rate.
Speaker 6: I can't I can't listen to the backups.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, the local guys.
Speaker 6: Okay, who they were pointing out now this one, I don't know who was on but they were pointing out, wouldn't this be something if Detroit ends up as the second seed and they have to play the Rams.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right.
Speaker 6: So the two quarterbacks that got traded, they get the play.
Speaker 4: And we'll see, I mean, the Rams could win.
Speaker 6: I know it was it was Lomas Brown, Yeah, the former tackle.
Speaker 5: That is the that's the matchup that is going to you just know it's going to happen. The Rams are going to play the Lions in the wild card, right, and it's going to turn out like that and the Lions could be the third seed. It still happened, Yeah, because where the Rams wind up?
Speaker 6: They asked him what would that be like in Detroit? He said chaotic? And he said and he said, can you imagine if Stafford comes back here and beats us.
Speaker 4: And then you've got Golf the former Rams, you know, but but.
Speaker 6: He said, it'll be the Monday night game.
Speaker 2: Whether it be uh will Matthew? Did Matthew leave under bad conditions?
Speaker 6: They just decided.
Speaker 5: You know that that is a trade that truly benefited both teams when you see what happened. Yeah, right, because because golf had this reputation, you know, then whether soft or whatever. And then he goes up there and gets with a coach who believes in him.
Speaker 2: And uh in Detroit and another example of having the right motivator for the right player.
Speaker 5: Right, and he's put together now three and two back to back really good seasons, Pro Bowl type seasons.
Speaker 6: He'll throw an interception for you, though, but.
Speaker 5: Last year he took care of the only only three seven picks last year. I think they were they were first in the league in giveaways last year. As far as being good the fewest giveaways last year, kind of like what the Cowboys are this year.
Speaker 6: This year, he has tossed ten ten yeah, right, so he's seven to ten as long as it's two to one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and your two over you know, two point seven to one there, so yeah, and which is very similar to Twist stats by the way.
Speaker 6: You know, they've they've done something they hadn't done since ninety three and won a division title already.
Speaker 2: It's tough playing up there in Detroit. Yeah, so if they get some home field advantage in any way, boy, they love.
Speaker 6: That, even I mean even in the new stadium, right, the old stadium was even worse. Yeah, when when the Cowboys had to go up there a second round in ninety one, and they had already lost to Detroit in the regular season, Eric Kramer quarterback. And I'm going on, you know, Cowboys are on this winning streak. They're not going to lose to Eric Kramer again, right, And I said, there's no way.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 6: The paper had already folded. So I was helping Carol d out and I had a press pass, and so I went up to the game and I'm sitting in like the second or third row of the stands in the end zone, and they played the national anthem, and when it finished, the noise in the stadium at the Pontiac Silver Dome was so loud. I'm going I don't think I liked my pick anymore.
Speaker 2: I never won that, really, I played twice. Never won. I played with the with the Cowboys, huh. And they came out and you know how it was. It's one of those games like we're always mad about with the Cowboys. Now you go in there, you're supposed to win, you don't because the crowd's going crazy and they're ready for you, and you're not ready. Right. We went in there with with the Browns and I remember check I guess he was accustomed to it, and using his experience, he goes, Okay, guys, when we go out here and we warm up, it's gonna be anting circus. Circus. It's gonna be a circus. So he was right. We went out there. They had a blimp inside going around, yes, and then there's the smoke from whatever they have. We were trying to warm up as defensive backs and they had some fire thing going on back there, and you could feel it. Every time it would it would, you know, burst, you know. So we were working out warming up next to that. Nick Saban had to move us around to another part of the stadium, another part of the field because it was so hot next to that. Whatever the hell that thing was a torch.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know what.
Speaker 8: You're talking about, all that things you're involved with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they thank you.
Speaker 7: They they they don't use the fire anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh thank god. Yeah. I could probably burned a couple of our guys in Cleveland. But no, that was that was ugly and I was. And then we went out there and and.
Speaker 6: Detroit kicked their buttons in that game, that's true. They started burline one more time.
Speaker 4: All right, we're six minutes late.
Speaker 5: I'm taking this first break man, so mixed shots will continue.
Speaker 4: In just a moment.
Speaker 6: Time flies.
Speaker 9: Yes, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: And they snapped the press out. Who looks right, it's not there. He escaped, flapped.
Speaker 6: He'll love pull a perch down.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 5: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cooled Kola, A journey to fotopia.
Speaker 7: Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 4: That's what I like.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game by subscribing to AARP fraud Watch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, demict shuts.
Speaker 8: Okay post roofing and Waterproofing. The official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys. Guys, I was looking up a couple things for this Lions game. Yes, and the thing that I wanted to find out is what the Detroit Lions are concerned about as far as the Cowboys. So I listened to Jared Goff in one of his press conferences and two of the players that were brought up in the press conference was Deron Bland and Micah Parsons.
Speaker 7: He had this to say about.
Speaker 8: Deron Bland, very opportunity, stick can take them all the way back to the house. And then when asked about Michael Parsons, he said, he's a dangerous player. He's a great player. He can do a hell of a lot, but we've got to be aware of where he's at. So I think those are some two big concerns as far as the Cowboys defense.
Speaker 6: For the Lions, that's why he needs to be a linebacker.
Speaker 2: You know, when you sent those plays out Bill a couple of days ago, you know, we were taking a look at a certain player and where they had us lined up and the personnel. One thing I did see that was a little alarming. Mike has got to be smarter. He's got to be smarter there's some.
Speaker 6: Place to where you can't just take off.
Speaker 2: You know, there's some place where you have to understand what the formation is and where you can be beat. You know what I'm saying, where your weakness is. I mean, all players, DB's whatever. You know, we always start from the from the end, like what's my worst case scenario? That's what you have to figure out as soon as you line up, and then you can whittly down to you know, what I'm supposed to be doing and how it can make plays. He seems to he's a little bit one track minded. He's got to be smarter because he's got himself out of position a couple of times when clearly he should have been more aware of the quarterback keeping the ball and see those kind of things kind of concerns me about him because he gets so frustrated with the inefficiency of the defense itself. And that's when you can tell he just was just going out there freestyling.
Speaker 5: That is that and that can be contagious other with his teammates. Exactly what happened so in which I think that's what happened in the Arizona game, and it probably happened in the Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Game, no doubt.
Speaker 6: And it happened against Miami because when I went back and watched, and it was more than what Bill sentners. He's crashing inside without any awareness of where the football.
Speaker 2: Thank you, that's the play I'm talking about. We're talking about.
Speaker 13: Crashed hard, hard side and the ball was they didn't even I don't even know if they had a place, and the ball came to his side and it was wide old.
Speaker 2: He was he was past the center. Yes, it was past the center. And see, those are the kind of things. That's because we know how dangerous he is. Everyone knows how dangerous he is. But he's got to be smarter, and the smarter he gets. We'd always talk about Sean Lee and how he played. You gotta have that kind of mentality and in regards to aggression with intellect, you understand. And that's what not what he's doing right now.
Speaker 6: And see they had him at linebacker on on on this one play and he was not over the center, but he was in the middle right and it was a running play. I want to say to his well, it was either left or right, one of them, one of them.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 6: He read it, he read it accurately, and he was like shot out of a gun. He just went right through the crease used to do. And that's what I saw him at Penn State and the Cotton Bowl. They somewhat ruined his instincts, like that's where.
Speaker 2: He needs to be. I think he may have. He may have ruined himself because.
Speaker 6: Of the success he quarterback.
Speaker 2: Now people are countering that. He's got to know that, I mean, and the coaches should be telling that. Look, I mean, the coaches really should be telling him this. Everyone knows what you're doing. They're going to counter you because if we saw someone like him on the other team, we would do the same thing. I think it just takes a conversation in the film session. It can't be that freaking hard, you know. I mean, I know football is hard, but as far as figuring out and anticipating, that's something that he has got to do better. And it's hurting this running defense.
Speaker 6: And I think, and I think they just can't bring it to themselves to say, Okay, you're not doing it, come here, sit by me.
Speaker 2: They somebody's gotta do something. It's got to be a Shawn Lee's got to be in the room.
Speaker 5: Somewhere, and we mentioned it during the show yesterday, the roster move they made yesterday, which was obviously, well, let's go active off of injured.
Speaker 4: Reserve, and Rashawn Evans waived.
Speaker 5: And then the news came out later in the day that from the Frisco Police that Evans had been arrested the previous day, And I'm here to tell you that had nothing.
Speaker 2: To do with the release, because I thought it had.
Speaker 4: Nothing to do with it.
Speaker 5: It was like, in fact, I was not surprised that Evans was released after seeing against Miami that he had no defensive snaps.
Speaker 4: In that game, he had seven special tax snaps.
Speaker 5: And one of the issues with him is they need, even if they're not going to use that particular linebackers spot on defense, that linebackers spot has to be used on special teams. And he does not have a history of playing special teams in his career, and they need a guy who can occupy that spot, who can be a special teams player.
Speaker 6: And when he's been active, he's played more special teams than regular snaps fourteen in the last four games.
Speaker 5: And by the way, I'm thinking that the reason Marquise Bell had limited snaps in the game.
Speaker 4: Is he's he is.
Speaker 5: Now how many games into the season, fifteen games into this season, and his his body at two hundred and fifteen pounds playing that position needs to break. So I'm thinking that's probably why Curse was in there more at linebacker and then and Bell had only thirty one snaps in the game.
Speaker 7: However, with the Lions on the line right.
Speaker 4: And they've got to have well, that's the other thing.
Speaker 5: The other part of that is the way the Dolphins play offense, and you want as much speed on the field as possible, which wouldn't mean get Bell on the field. It didn't make any sense him not being on the field as much. And so I'm thinking he's probably even though he's not on the injury report, he's probably got some nicks and you know that he's Yeah, so that's my two cents worth.
Speaker 2: I would imagine this draft, we're going to be looking at linebackers.
Speaker 5: Well, and they get over shown back from his ACL injury, but as a player then now coming off an a cl injury and you know that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he hasn't played.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 5: He's a guy that was a safety recruited I was out of art Texas five Stars safety and converted a linebacker in college. I mean, so he is exactly what the NFL has become at the linebacker position. He just doesn't have the experience. And the biggest issue that I have with playing safeties at linebacker is they haven't spent their life reading and reacting like a linebacker does and sniffing out plays that right, every can do that, right, And it's it's this isn't on the job training here.
Speaker 6: And you've got to be ready to take on an offensive tax right, gets off the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is our problem.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the other part of it is if we especially with Jonathan Hankins out, and you don't have the big, hulking defensive tackle who can occupy the blockers and keep them off the off the linebackers too, And.
Speaker 2: Did we did we? Are we countering that with five defensive linemen.
Speaker 4: There's no no.
Speaker 5: There are occasions they did it a little, They did uh well in the Miami game. There were times, not very often, maybe a handful of times in the game, uh dictated probably by situation where they would play with an extra defensive lineman, But never they never had what you would say, even in short yardage situation, seven front, seven players who weren't safeties by nature, you know, a curse being a safety. They counted him as a linebacker in the game.
Speaker 2: But you can you can do that on on shore, George and goal line, especially go line.
Speaker 5: You can do that somewhere in that when you can put the bigger bodies in the field. Yeah, exactly. And that's that and that that was what is alarming to me in the Buffalo game. I mean down on the goal line, there were there were five DB's and six you know, bigger bodies on the field. I'm like, how can you stop them on the goal line with if you got five or six dbs on.
Speaker 4: The field, you can't on on at the one yard line.
Speaker 6: So maybe it was the Giants game here in Washington they they actually started playing five guys on the line, I mean defensive front that game.
Speaker 2: Right, we haven't done this, I remember, you know.
Speaker 6: I'm saying, okay, you know what, I kind of like that. It's like, okay, I'm stopping the run.
Speaker 2: Damn. What is what is Quinn? What is is quinn? Happened? In press conferences He's.
Speaker 5: Saying he didn't have one this week right now there was because of a short short week.
Speaker 2: They didn't talk all right.
Speaker 5: The shots are flying and more mixed shots flying in a moment here.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 14: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite would a pairing can Crack's a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest school. Miller Lyte, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate responsibly. Twenty twenty three milliber Own Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 12: Did you know they're responding to, so one spam call can lead to more, or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game by subscribing to AARP fraud Watch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection.
Speaker 7: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 10: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 4: That's what I like.
Speaker 8: Shots enjoy premiere dining, shopping and experiences from over twenty plus restaurants, shops, and more at the Star District. Check out Women's Boutique Flea style of Frisco and the official boot partner of the Dallas Cowboys, lu Casey enjoy New Year celebrations at Snowbird Cocktail Lounge, Concrete Cowboy and City Works, Eatery, and Poorhouse. Visit the stardistrict dot com for the full directory.
Speaker 4: Today is December twenty eighth.
Speaker 5: Right, yes, it is December twenty eighth.
Speaker 4: Hold a special place in Cowboys history.
Speaker 2: And then this podcast.
Speaker 4: It does?
Speaker 7: Are you going to are you going to tell us?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why this podcast?
Speaker 2: I'm here, this is my birthday. This is my birthday. That's why I'm here. Is it really special? Shut up? A good actor?
Speaker 7: Hold on, I'm going back to the Ruthy's all down. This might be on me, you guys, No.
Speaker 2: This is on Bill. No, Bill already, Bill already knew.
Speaker 5: I didn't know.
Speaker 2: This was Bill's man.
Speaker 4: So the Hail Mary happened on your birthday?
Speaker 2: Yes right, you're damn right.
Speaker 4: I was going to bring up the hell till Mary dayn Mary Day?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's hall Eversonday. This that was a wild day. That was my sixteenth birthday, Your happiest birthday I ever had?
Speaker 7: My day, birthday, birthday song.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, night. I thought, they're really going to meet with something.
Speaker 4: That's probably thank you, thank you years, thank birthday.
Speaker 2: Ever, you're going to pull out a Willie Nelson happy.
Speaker 5: So that was your sixteenth birthday. That was my sixteenth, nineteen seventy five. Twenty eighth, nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 6: You and Derek Eagleton have the same birthday.
Speaker 2: You are Lie Derek's birthday. Nice. Nice nice. I remember coming in man after the after the catch, and damn.
Speaker 4: That wasn't that wasn't the catch. That was a different game.
Speaker 6: It was an actual catch.
Speaker 2: It was an actual Drew had to catch the ball.
Speaker 6: I had to pin it on his hill.
Speaker 2: After the catch that Drew Maids and the Hail Mary game. I just remember I didn't know what to do. You know, I don't have no brothers or nothing at the time, so I'm just I didn't know what to do, man, I mean, damn, just that was amazing, right. So I skipped into the kitchen and my mom said, I'm making my birthday cake. I'm like, Mom, she don't give it damn about football. You know, I go in there. I had nobody to talk to.
Speaker 4: I know, I know the feeling.
Speaker 2: I mean, I didn't really say it enough to where I said, they just won the game. I mean, you know, they say that is nothing.
Speaker 5: I mean, and you said, you said they not only won the game, but it was a hail Mary. We didn't know it was Mary then until said it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Even let me get that for us. Like, boy, she was doing my cake. I remember she was doing my cake.
Speaker 4: That reminded.
Speaker 5: That reminds me of when I was in college when Roger threw the touchdown past Tony Hill to be Washington in nineteen seventy nine, K seventy nine, and I was at the frat house in my room. I lived in the annex, the singap South is what we called it. And and so it was colder and all get out in Norman, Oklahoma that day.
Speaker 4: And so I'm in there watching it, and I.
Speaker 5: Went running outside, jumping up and down like on ice outside and I sprained my ankle.
Speaker 2: Was I was looking for some I was Jim Valan.
Speaker 4: I was Jim Valvano trying to find somebody a hug.
Speaker 2: I just went outside stuff, playing by myself because nobody was around. I just didn't know what to do. I was just had all this energy and I was happy and it was crazy. Man, I forget my birthday. We won the game, bro, That's all I worried about. That was fun. That was fun.
Speaker 5: That was good, very good trip down memory lane there making and a good birthday.
Speaker 4: You do anything special for your birthday.
Speaker 2: Going to a friend's house tonight and my brother Larry Lundy headed to his house for some reason. His wife loves to cook.
Speaker 6: For me and uh, that's a good family over.
Speaker 2: She's from the Islands, so we're gonna have like the yellow rice and the beans. It's very good. Great, Yeah, she's she's cool chick.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 6: Well, that was an extensive tour that came back.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of people.
Speaker 7: It's still Yeah, they all came to say my birthday, Happy birthday.
Speaker 4: If this was out there, if if.
Speaker 2: It was being piped out there in the hallway.
Speaker 5: They if Nate and Frisco was out there, he could lead them and happy singing Happy birthday to eversonboy.
Speaker 2: Check your text. I'm sure they send some uh goofy text.
Speaker 6: They were shooting them through.
Speaker 4: All right, Mickey, we got five minutes left for more mix shots.
Speaker 6: What do I have?
Speaker 2: Yep? You got? What do you got?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: On football?
Speaker 6: Here's another one on Detroit. I noticed they've won eleven games. That has tied their franchise single season high. Have never won more than eleven games in a single season, So they're going for history here at the AT and T. As a matter of fact, the last time they've won eleven twenty fourteen, nineteen ninety one. In nineteen sixty.
Speaker 4: Two, nineteen sixty two.
Speaker 6: Anybody here born by sixty two?
Speaker 4: They were me and Mickey was I mean? Ever? Yeah, he announced that earlier.
Speaker 7: I can't relate.
Speaker 6: No, the better questions for home are your parents born before?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So who's the quarterback in sixty two?
Speaker 6: Milk Plum?
Speaker 2: Was he good?
Speaker 4: No, I'm George Plimpton could.
Speaker 2: Have been close to it. May I forgot about him?
Speaker 5: The paper Lion, Go Savannah, you need to google Paper Lion, George Plimptonky, it goes back to our day.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the way the media was back then.
Speaker 5: That was it was Milt Plump and Earl Morral, Milt Plumb, milk Plum.
Speaker 4: It was a backup.
Speaker 7: I'll look it up, you guys.
Speaker 4: There you go. Well that was a nice little nugget. How about that?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: And the Cowboys looking for their eleventh win. My well, you remember predictions at the beginning of the season, what we predicted the Cowboys to win? How many games in the regular season?
Speaker 4: I know what mine was.
Speaker 2: I did eleven.
Speaker 4: Cow Boys are still on.
Speaker 7: I don't recall doing that.
Speaker 4: I did twelve. Well, you were a later arrival.
Speaker 7: You were a week late, a week late into the season, so you can.
Speaker 4: Just make up whatever it is going with.
Speaker 7: I think twelve.
Speaker 5: I think I'm pretty sure I went twelve would be third straight. Twelve, So get eleven, gotta win this one and gotta beat Washington.
Speaker 6: Right, get the twelve and five?
Speaker 2: I think when I know, what I was thinking is that we'd be hopefully we'd be trending upward as we got to the end of the season. I didn't think I was gonna it was gonna be easy. I did it was gonna be so eleven or twelve.
Speaker 4: Where is the Cowboys arrow right now?
Speaker 2: Later it's lateral? Right now, we could lose three in a row.
Speaker 7: You need to be on the upward trend.
Speaker 12: We need to be.
Speaker 5: So you came out of that, how did you feel about this team coming out of that Miami game?
Speaker 2: Still Luke one because only because you know all all the teams right now, forget about the fight to me there in the middle of the pack in reguards.
Speaker 5: Forget to forget about the final score of that game. Right How is this team playing coming out of that game?
Speaker 2: Well, if you're gonna look at it that way, then I have to look at us uh inability to play the run. It does not look good until we can do something about that. It's silly to me that no one's trying. That's the concerning part other than here in the in the media.
Speaker 4: That's the concerning part for me.
Speaker 5: Is anytime JN curse at linebacker by necessity or was this just a one time, okay, strategy, strategic move against the Miami team, or was it based on what you didn't see against Buffalo the week before?
Speaker 2: And you're making the very concerned about the past, So then they decided maybe to be a little soft on the run.
Speaker 6: He was, he was the third linebacker all year lest year.
Speaker 4: But my concern is him being the second linebacker.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, curse or belle belle, Okay, we'll get him out there. I'm going to get him out.
Speaker 2: There either way. Either way, they're going to be overwhelmed. Either way, they're going to be overwhelmed. And then here's the other part of the ability to stop. Here's another part of it.
Speaker 4: What of hav an injury at linebacker? There one linebacker on the roster de Montclark.
Speaker 6: Now what I'm like during the game because look at the practice squad, there's only two.
Speaker 5: On the practice and I'm thinking Buddy Johnson has a chance to be elevated this week.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking probably because already used would have to put him on the FI, right, I think.
Speaker 5: I think Buddy Johnson's probably looking at an elevation this week.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm so frustrated. It seems as if, you know, I'm like, we're running around the sky is falling. You know what I'm saying, This guy's fall and nobody's doing anything about it. You know, we just status quo as if hey man, we didn't just get two hundred yards going on us in Buffalo. We didn't just show weakness against the Dolphins, you know, allowed yards. There you go with the numbers. It's not about the numbers.
Speaker 8: Well, last night I watched the episode of Hard Knocks that the Dolphins featured when they played us this last time, so I you know, went down. You know, it relived a little bit of pain there watching it. But I will say one of the biggest things that stuck out to me the most is when they were prepping for the game, the Dolphins' really biggest concern was Dak and his ability to run on third downs and get a first down because he's the way he scrambles.
Speaker 7: That was one of their.
Speaker 8: Biggest concerns that they you know, talking about an episode and that is that is a concern and that should be a concern for the Lions. He does a good job at scrambling and being able to get the ball out when scrambling.
Speaker 7: To pass exact.
Speaker 6: So here's what the dilemma is.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to check.
Speaker 6: So they're tight end Sam seventy four catches, So how do you you don't want a tight end defending him? I mean a linebacker defending him.
Speaker 2: He's eighty seven also, is he yes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, So you you're there's a conundrum there. They run the ball well, but the tight end needs a safety probably to cover him, and the only safety that's big enough to do it is jay Ron Curse.
Speaker 2: And see, so he's a he's.
Speaker 6: A mismatched player, and as.
Speaker 2: Doesn't cover that well, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: Either.
Speaker 6: He's a good he can't if he's got to make the guy not get off the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: He never does not.
Speaker 6: And as as McCarthy pointed out yesterday, you know, he's a good two way tight end, like he can it downfield, but he's also a pretty good blocker.
Speaker 4: So that's I know, the Cowboys liked him coming out of Iowa. Yeah, I mean there was thought.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure they were. He was in the conversation in the first round. I mean, he went thirty four to Detroit, and so you know, obviously in the draft, having lost Dalton Schultz, there's a lot of speculation about the Cowboys taking a tight end, and I think Laporta was probably at the top of their list.
Speaker 6: So I got taken and.
Speaker 5: Rightly so he said, he's got seventy four catches in his rookie season.
Speaker 6: And he gets down the field, it's none of these five yards turn around and he's likeways stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's just like eighty seven.
Speaker 6: But you got him in with the fourth instead of the second.
Speaker 2: That's right, all right, So.
Speaker 5: Much more to get to tomorrow. We're not going to talk Missouri football tomorrow. Is that a deal, everybody?
Speaker 15: I'm with you after after the fight song, there you go, all right, And so we'll talk Oklahoma football and post game show from tonight's Alamo Bowl in the next edition of Mix Shots Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.