Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome back to another episode of Car Stories with Sun King and Amelia Hartford.
Speaker 2: Hi, Amelia, Hi song. What's going on?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: That's why I asked you.
Speaker 1: What is going on? I love that we match every time and we never plan on it. In fact, I pulled out these red parachute pants and I was like, there's no way we were matching today, and then shot up in red parachute pants.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've heard these for three days in a row.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Yeah, I think I might do the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, because they're comfortable. Yeah, yeah, they look comfortable. Those are called parachute pants. A parachute pants were big when I was a kid. Yeah, like when I was like ten eleven. Those were one hundred dollars, really parachute pants because they had like zippers and the breakdancers and the bee boys with you know, that's what they wore. So it's like super expensive that And there's this Michael Jackson zipper jacket. And if you could buy the Michael Jackson jacket parachute pants and I think Jordan.
Speaker 1: Ones you were styling.
Speaker 2: Oh and you had to have money. That was like that was it a baller?
Speaker 1: That was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, those aren't really parachute pants.
Speaker 1: Though, No, No, what would you call these pants?
Speaker 2: Why are they called parachute pants? You've appropriated a name for a pair of pants.
Speaker 1: Because they're like baggy and floy.
Speaker 2: You call them parachute pants.
Speaker 1: This is what they're called.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because of the material.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the bagginess. I think.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess so. Because they're bagging like a parachute. Yeah, that's cool. Who makes those?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Kloe?
Speaker 1: Amazon?
Speaker 2: You shop on Amazon?
Speaker 1: Sometimes?
Speaker 2: You buy your clothes on Amazon sometimes, I mean, I'm not there's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it good quality?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: I get scared about on Amazon for that reason. But there is some stuff that's actually decent quality of last a while. Yeah, you like tom Bucks.
Speaker 2: I bought some shirts recently from Amazon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mark, They're fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's easy, come in in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I get my socks on Amazon.
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you don't go to the store often.
Speaker 1: I get some socks from Amazon and some socks from a Ritzy. I really like the Aritzia socks.
Speaker 2: That's an online store.
Speaker 1: No, Aritzy is an in person store.
Speaker 2: Are you a shopper?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: You don't like shopping?
Speaker 1: No, I'm really bad at it. Do you like shopping?
Speaker 2: Hmm, depends on what it's for. Yeah, you like shoes. I love to go shoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but I buy my shoes online.
Speaker 2: You do. You don't try them on?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I mean I know its size. I am in Jordan ones.
Speaker 2: But you don't like the whole ceremony of asking the dude or the young lady ten and a half please, and then then.
Speaker 1: They bring it eleven. You're like, no, this is the wrong size. Then you try them on, you walk on. Not really, No, no, because I know my size, and I'm more just looking at different colorways online and seeing what I want to do, at least for Nikes and then for vansize, I just got the same ones over and over again.
Speaker 2: So you don't go to the mall like every weekend?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, that was a thing for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, well, before like phones and social media, even as a kid, we would go to the mall just to hang out after school.
Speaker 2: How often to go to the mall per month?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You mean per year, per year? Yeah, I'm trying to make an effort to go more frequently, to actually buy myself nice clothes because I wear the same thing, just over and over again. But I think they'll try once every three months, try to make it to the mall.
Speaker 2: That's not very often.
Speaker 1: Half New go.
Speaker 2: Never often.
Speaker 1: I don't go at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, when I was your age, I would probably every weekend.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like my wife and I would go on a date.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, well maybe sometimes we even't buy anything, but you know, buy some pretzels, you know, the the pretzels pretzels. Yeah, there was like a routine. You go there, you get the pretzels, corn dog from the hot dog in the States, in the luminade. Yeah, very rarely would I actually buy anything, But if you walk around for an hour, it's like exercise, and you know.
Speaker 1: I do want to do it more. I think it's also a luxury of time thing that I fill my time with everything. Like right now, I'm in flight school, so that's I am. Yeah, so that's taking up a lot of my time.
Speaker 2: Were you taking class in Venais?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, Clipper Aviation Clipper. Yeah, do you know Clipper.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I took my nephew because his dream is to be a pilot, so I took him over to Clipper. Oh cool, to start like taking lessons really and I was like, damn, this kid is so lucky. Like if I told my parents like I wanted to be a pilot, that like good for you. Good dream. But yeah, I mean it's cool that we live, you know, close to the Van Nuys Airport. I heard that that airport is like the busiest private airport in America.
Speaker 1: I'm not surprised. I mean there's a lot of privilege es there whenever I'm going up in my little piper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they said that's really good too. That's why the pilots that learn out of Van Eyes are actually the better pilots because it's so busy. So like you know, let's say you learned in a private airport in like the.
Speaker 1: Mid West, and there's never any air traffic, so you're not used to having to navigate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, why are you getting that? Because I want to, Oh yeah, what are you going to do with it?
Speaker 1: Places Amelia, Amelia Earhart.
Speaker 2: Following our footsteps.
Speaker 1: Now when people finally if I say Amelia, and every time people will go oh, like the pilot, I can finally say yes, like the pilot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's cool. Yeah, that's cool. That's good. That's a that's a cool thing to have.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the last time I really saw you on hung out was in Japan, right.
Speaker 2: How was that?
Speaker 1: I had a great time. Yeah, yeah, what about you?
Speaker 2: I had a good time. Yeah. My favorite part of it was finding those carburetors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really cool. Those green tea Macha candies that you got me cookies. The cookies are so good. Did you know this place before? Were you just walking in a store?
Speaker 2: No, that's a that's a thing from Kyoto. That's the thing by people.
Speaker 1: As as cookies, thank you. They were really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We just missed the cherry blossom season. I don't know when you have to go get the car raiders if you saw them down there or not.
Speaker 2: It was cherry blossom season, but they weren't. They weren't blooming because of the cold.
Speaker 1: Right, But I guess they ended up blooming a week after we were there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw one tree. It's like a sad ass a couple of Yeah, it was really cool formula. Each time I get to go to an event, it just impresses me more and more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just think it was really cool. The take on the Japanese car culture that they did to promote being the first race on the streets of Tokyo. Ever at a championship level.
Speaker 2: The thing we did, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was cool to have like Pandem Liberty fail Side and all these ogs bringing out their kid like it was so hardcore enthusiast that, like the general masses may not have known how Like the attention to detail of every little bit of that scene, right those I remember just staying. I was looking around, like this is cool. Yeah, it's so cool.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, the Pandem truck that Mirasom brought was not even in the shot. Really he brought it. He brought a Toyota Hylus that he had actually built the year before for the tokyoa Autistan and I actually I worked on that truck with him because I heard I messed it up.
Speaker 1: But that was one of my favorite vehicles there. Yeah, that thing was cool. Yeah, but it's not in the Yeah, I guess I didn't really, I was. I was just there admiring it as a fan. The attention, like the fab work on that thing is beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cool, you're right. I mean, like the legends of the car design or bodykit design Japan, they were like all in one like parking lot. Right, it's cool. Yeah, it's awesome to be a part of something like that. And I'm really frazzled today. What I have to share something with you? So there's this Japanese word kudowari, right, I think I'm pronouncing it maybe wrong, but it's and it means like to strive for perfection in your life when you know that there's no such thing. You'll never get there, but to strive, like you know, you're just trying to like elevate every day.
Speaker 1: Is that a positive thing?
Speaker 2: It's a positive thing. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know it's it's a positive to It's a philosophy, right to go. Hey, whatever you do, if you're doing laundry, you do it like try to aim for perfection even though you know it's not going to happen, but you try, right, if you know, build the car, but then understanding that it's never going to be there's no such thing as perfection, right, you eventually just kind of have to you know, leave it be right and move on. Right. And as of late, I wake up and I think about this, and I go, there's two actually like Japanese things that I think about. The kodowari or the kudari. I think I'm pronouncing her wrong. You know, the idea of striving for perfection, to be a better person, whatever I'm doing in my life, to strive for that. And then also this number seventy eight, and it's a Japanese saying nana korobi aoki. It's like fall down seven, get up eight, right, And so as soon as I wake up these days, like I think about these two kind of sayings, right, or these principles if you will, right. And I've been trying to spend more time with my wife, right, and she likes to play golf. I hate golf, Amelia, like with a capital H. Like it's like on the top of the list, like stepping on Pooh I hate, but golf I hate more. Okay, it's nice that you're doing yet yeah for her, right, Yeah, I'm like, I need to find.
Speaker 1: You enjoy driving the cart.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm getting to that. Yeah, it's funny that up.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So I've tried to play golf with her four times. First time I went with her, we played about two holes and there were people behind us catching up because we suck, like, you know, we were like horrible like I don't even know the rules of golf, but let's try. Let's get in the golf cart and go. People catching up to us, and both of us like, hey, you know, they're kind of waiting for us because we keep losing all the balls, like we don't know what we're doing. It's like, let's go home. So we drove around the golf course and in the golf cart. It was like next to romantic, and we went home. Second time, I was like, hey, we can't be late, Like I don't think you can be late for your tea time in golf. It doesn't really work like that. But we were fifteen minutes late, so we missed our tea time. So it's like, okay, that didn't happen. Third time, we're paired up with these two dudes that obviously like, you know, golfers, like avid golfers, and they see me and my wife dresses me up up like I'm a professional golfer, and they're like, hey, buddy, nice to meet you. There's you know, because they're very they're very formal people, right and you know, and very cordial. And guys were like, hey, so are you teeing off from like the gold or the green or the brown. I was like, brother, I don't even know what you're talking about. And they were like, ah, stop messing around. And they're like, why don't you go ahead? I go, no, you want? Ton't you go ahead? Because I can barely hit the ball. And they're like, oh, yeah, yeah. You look at you. You're like it looks like you've been playing golf since you're a baby. And I'm like, and I'm also Korean. Koreans are all playing golf, right, And I'm like, no, I can't. I don't know what I'm doing. Man, trust me, right, And I go, so, what is why are you with us? And like oh, we're paired up because you know, it's a busy day at the course, so we're paired up with you and I'm like, ah, this ain't going to really work. And then my wife was like, I don't want to play with these strangers because they're really good and we suck. So we went home, right, but that's where and they're like, where are you going? I go, sorry, buddy, did you hit it once? No? Hit the ball.
Speaker 1: As far as you know, you would have hit a hole in one. It would have been the coolest.
Speaker 2: I can't hit the ball, especially when someone's watching. It's like they strike out right. I'm like sweating.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm like, all right, let's just leave, right, and they're like, hey, is it us? And I go no, no, no, it's us, Thank you so much, see you later, right. And then as we're leaving, I hear this noise, this cracking of wood, and all of a sudden, this oak tree falls like right behind the car almost crushes us. Wow, Like it's like a massive tree. Like why did this tree wait for me to like drive under him and then fall? And I was like looking over and my wife was like, wow, this is a sign, a sign sign whatever. And then we go home fourth time, right, and I think this is my last time I ever will ever play golf. So we go and I was busy that day, and our tea time was at three o'clock, right, and I was kind of running, and I was like, don't worry, I'll call them and we'll get a different tea time. And I called the guys and I was like, hey, guys, you know I'm kind of in the doghouse. You got to give me a tea time because my wife really wants to play golf. With me today, so I got to make this work. And they're like, don't worry. So we got you, right, like thank you, and I go, but don't pair us up with anybody. It has to be like just us. And they're like, okay, we got you. So we get there early, fifteen minutes early. We're there. I'm like, all right, this is great. There's nobody around, and this guy pulls up behind me and I was like, hey, how are you and it's like, hey, what's your tea time? I go three? What's your tea time? Like two fifty? I was like, so you're before us. It's like yes, I go, okay, son, I guess you have to go ahead, and he goes, but how do I get in front of you? Because your card is blocking because the path is so narrow, And I was like, oh, I guess I have to reverse it. We both have to reverse it and then you know, you can get in front of me. And he's kind of get me attitude right, and I'm like, god, man, this is why I hate golf, like they take it so seriously. So we reverse and he's in front of me. Now right, I'm behind him, and now I'm at like the fork of the road, right, they kind of an intersection, and I'm waiting for him to tee off and he's just doing yoga now right. I'm like, just hit the ball, dude. And he's doing yoga, he's stretching and he's doing all of this right. And then I'm like and my wife is like, uh, he's really taking a long time. I'm like, I know, it's like, but what are we going to do? His tea time's at two fifty, you know, we're fifteen minutes early. I go, why don't you warm up as well? Want you to go stretch? And she's like okay, And I'm sitting there in the passenger side just like this of the cart. I'm just like, gosh, man, I really don't want to be here. And all of a sudden, these kids like they're like I think high school. They look like high school kids are college kids. They're young men, three young men. And then they pull up in the cart and they're like, oh my god, it's han. It's like I grew up with you. It's like, oh my god. And then they're like, oh, we can't squeeze, Like, oh, don't worry, We'll like drift around him and I'm like, oh, okay, all right, and then they get stuck. They get stuck right with my cart, and I'm like, all right, let me just move to the cart either way. So I turned the wheel and then pressed the gas like this, and the cart bolts forward, like just jerks forward. Guess who's in front of the cart. My wife. I run her over. She's completely under the cart like it hits her and it was like a bush like this that grabbed her. And it was like, oh, if without this purse, she would have hit the concrete. It grabs her like this. But she's under the cart right, and I'm all, holy moly. And so the dudes, the kids, and I had to lift the cart off of her, and she starts to come too, and all of a sudden she's screaming and crying because her ankle is broken.
Speaker 1: She broke her ankle.
Speaker 2: It's mangled under the she ha.
Speaker 1: A cast right now, like actually broken.
Speaker 2: Broken, broken, and she's just screaming and crying and crying. And was this wonderful couple, this older couple came over and the lady like like hugged her and said it's okay, it's okay. And then they call the ambulance, but the ambulance cann't come down, so I had to lift her up. Put in the golf carty.
Speaker 1: Do you make me never want a golf just hearing those story?
Speaker 2: So you don't need to play golf like it it's a golf That's this is why I hate golf. Right, get to the ambulance. The ambulance is trying to take the hospital. She doesn't want to go to the hospital. She wants to go home to see the dogs. Right, She's crying. I'm like, we need to go to the hospital. She's like, I don't want to go, So I take her home. She sees the dog, she goes, I want to go to the hospital, so we go to the emergency room. It's a whole thing, okay, the whole thing. Right. Wait, why did I bring this golf story up? Oh? Oh, because the Japan thing. Okay, and then in two days later, so then two days later I have to go to Japan with you.
Speaker 1: Right, I had no idea all this happened right before.
Speaker 2: I was not in a good mood in Japan. I was like highly stressed and feeling super well.
Speaker 1: You did it very well. You're very professional.
Speaker 2: Because because I felt guilty because it was a lot of fun, right, it was like super fun. But then she's in the cast, yeah, and she with a broken ankle and having to take care of the dogs and also she's just them pain and it was so stupid, so dumb, like why did I almost kill my wife in a golf cart? And think about it, Like these kids, I know what they're saying. They're going, hey, Han almost killed his wife. He can't drive, he can't even drive her.
Speaker 1: I don't think we're saying that.
Speaker 2: Whatever, right, I would say it if I were, I would say.
Speaker 1: That they're probably just as traumatized about the thing.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but maybe not. But they're high school kids who know, right but regardless. So remember I was walking the dog the day that her ankle broke, and usually she and I walked the dogs together. It's kind of our time together, you know, it's like, you know, we talk and we take our time. And I'm walking the dogs and I'm slightly stressed, feeling so guilty because I replayed in my head and see her head hit the bush and like she's like out and then she's waking up crying and stuff, and I was I was sweating and I. I had a hoodie just like that, and I took off the hoodie and I had the leash of the dogs because I have one leash that connects both dogs, right and you know, Tedji's huge, you know. And I put the leash on a mailbox one of my neighbors that I have never met, right, and Tegi pulled in. There was like old, old mailbox and they shattered the whole mailbox like one of those house mailboxes.
Speaker 1: With They didn't run away though, right, I'm prepared for like a bad story.
Speaker 2: Of being He just like pulled it. The whole thing goes. The whole thing is just crumbles because old, like it's in like pieces, and I'm like, what am I supposed to do?
Speaker 1: Something fall on you around?
Speaker 2: And then I'm like looking around, and I was like I got to get home. So I just left shitched the mailbox. Yeah, I left. I was like, well, what am I going to do with this now?
Speaker 1: So when your neighbors hear this, are they going to finally learn what happened to their in a mailbox?
Speaker 2: I'm getting to that, okay. So so like I go home and then we go to Japan and I come back right and this morning, I was walking the dog and I was passing the house and this elderly gentleman comes out with a smile on his face and he goes, excuse me, I talk to you, and I was like yeah, sure. It's like do you remember that mailbox there? And I was like yeah, and he's like, you broke it and I was like yes. He goes, it would have been nice if you could have just like told me. I was like, you're right, and he's like, I just want to let you know. We ordered another mailbox and I was like, can I pay for that? And he's like, no, just know that it would have been nice if you had like just knocked on the door and told us that the mailbox was broken. And he's like that's all I wanted to say. And he's like it's not very neighborly, but you did, and I was like, yeah, it's not. And then I started walking away and my gut just started feeling like I started feeling sick, right, because then I'm going back to the Khudowari way of living life. And I was like, why would I not, yeah, come back? Why didn't it didn't even occur to me really? Right? And I was like, yeah, you were stressed. It was like a tough day. But within the chaos is when you're truly tested. And I fail, right, And what is that mailbox going to cost? He doesn't even care because he was like, look, we were going to get a new mailbox anyway. But it just as a neighbor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not about the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not. He goes, I don't need your money. He's like, I take pride. I've been here for twenty six years. You know, I'm friends with everybody. It's just like, this is how what neighbors do for each other. You take care of each other. And then so I walked back and I was like, sir, he was like organizing his garage, and it was like, Sir, can I talk to you. It's like, I feel really bad right now, and I don't know what to do to make it up to you because I'm wrong. I was wrong and I am wrong and you're one hundred percent right. And he started telling me the context of like what that mailbox caused. He goes, well, you know, we needed to leave town for our family, and I was in San Francisco for some work and the next door neighbors were robbed, and so when the mailbox collapse, I thought it was a burglar because he goes, I have cameras everywhere, and so I actually drove down from San Francisco. Oh wow, I needed to get my passport, and I was worried that the passport was going to not be diner because there's no mailbox, right, Like, Fortunately the passport was still in the mailbox. It was already delivered, but somebody could have picked up the mailbox and taken it. He's like, so there's a lot of like things that kind of you know, were triggered by your mailbox like fiasco. And I was like, and it hit me. I was like, you never know, it's a simple thing as a mailbox, but then it could cause so many other problems, right.
Speaker 1: I literally say all the time that everyone is fighting a battle that you know nothing about, and I think it's true. And that's a perfect example of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it doesn't matter what you're going through. I guess the whole point of this conversation is, like I need to articulate. I needed to like actually like speak it because I'm like, you know, it's not the end of the world, but it's still like, not good. It's not the kind of person I would want to be. It's not the kind of neighbor.
Speaker 1: I would still like bake them a plate of cookies or do something. Just leave it at the doorstep with a little note. I would still do something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm going to go buy a cake. Yeah yeah, on the way home today. But it makes me go I want to be that kind of man when I get older. Right, he was like, did he drop this knowledge on me? And it just made me feel I have so far to go? You know, makes sense?
Speaker 1: Makes sense? Yeah, now I'm slightly traumatized to ever go golfing.
Speaker 2: Well, just don't go golfing with me.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm that's a lot of terrible things to follow you as you go golfing. When you were starting to tell me the story about you going golfing and the tree falling and all this stuff, in my mind, I was like, there's nothing bad enough that you can tell me that I won't tell you that you should continue golfing and give it a shot. But after the card incident with your wife, I'm actually like, you know what, maybe you guys should find a new hobby. Yeah, I mean, she thought of tennis.
Speaker 2: She doesn't like tennis. I took a pick a ball class. Yeah, there you go, and it's a lot of fun. But I don't know if she's gonna be And she really likes golf.
Speaker 1: She didn't need surgery. She's okay, No she doesn't.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't know.
Speaker 1: Is it clean break or is it cracked?
Speaker 2: It's cracked. Okay, that's worse. I don't know what else to say. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Kind of sad, Sorry, guys. If this is.
Speaker 2: Sad for that, that's sad. I mean the whole point of me bringing all this up is.
Speaker 1: That everything happens for a reason. That everyone's fighting battle you know nothing about. It literally costs nothing to be nice to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and every day you can be better. Yeah, you know, and sometimes like a mailbox is gonna teach you you're not even half demand that you think you are.
Speaker 1: You know, do you meditate?
Speaker 2: The running is the meditation? Okay, how about you?
Speaker 1: The gym is my meditation for me?
Speaker 2: So what is meditation for you? Like, what are you thinking about when you're meditating?
Speaker 1: Well, the idea is you're not thinking right, and it's teaching you how to live in the present moment, so you're not being so bombarded by your thoughts and your motions and everything coming up from a bunch of different directions. It just recenters yourself and brings you back to the present moment. And I'm sure it sounds a little like oh meditations like yoga, but it actually it does. It does help to ground yourself, especially when you know instances where you can't control your mind when something bad happens.
Speaker 2: I think the running is like my sense of or my source of meditation or my version of it, you know, especially lately. You know, it's like I think lately, like you know, people in my life, like on a professional level that are you know, like moving on and stuff, and it's like all this anxiety and like insecurities come out, like you know, it's like you wake up and you feel like there's like this hopeless feeling right and things that I can't control and no matter what I do, it's not going to change anything. And we're talking about we actually have the same agent. We're just Yeah, so it's a guy named Frank and he's leaving the business to.
Speaker 1: Like go on to bigger and better things, right to start his own thing, which I think being your own business owner is an incredible thing and something that not everyone gets to do in a lifetime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know Frank Is you know, dear friend and you know him leaving just like it triggered like this anxiety and I had to really kind of step back and go where is all this coming from? And it's like, you know again it's like I'm not you know, invincible or you know, immune to fear and insecurity about the future.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So I think that's where that meditation and the running like you brought up is like to echo that is that you know, with the running, I can control it. And it's like, you know, focus on you know, the negative stuff right and do nothing right and just kind of sit there and mope and be sad and stress and just like you know, get consumed by it, or go and do something positive, something healthy that's going to actually you know, make me better. And it's always like so interesting because today I ran you know, five miles, right, Jesus right, it's it's it's not it's not that it's not that impressive. Actually, at the end of the day, I hate running.
Speaker 1: It's not for me.
Speaker 2: Have you tried it? Yes, like really tried it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't enjoy it. I don't get those runners high. Running's not for me.
Speaker 2: I don't enjoy it.
Speaker 1: You just suffer through it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a metaphor to life because let's use five miles, right, And I think I've spoke on this before with Magnus because this is a runner. It's like I use running as like a daily lesson. It's like the meditation. Right, It's like it's so hard. Yeah, let's say five miles takes me like you know, forty six minutes, or you're taking the first half really slowly, like you know, fifty minute run for it. So like let's say you average like ten minutes a mile, right, the first mile, just like everything else in life, is like so hard to lace up and get there and start doing it. And half a mile I want to quit. Let's say we parallel with like acting or writing a script or developing a movie or doing a project for yourself. Right, and you go, great idea, and then it's like you start it and I kind of halfway into it, you're like I want to quit, right, And you get to the mile and you're like, oh, I did a mile and maybe that's enough, right, But you're like, but my goal is five miles, so I'm at a mile.
Speaker 1: You walk it all?
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't even stretch. I just go like there's no stretching. The stretching is like the slow jogging, right, And then I try to run uphill for the first three miles because downhill is where you're gonna hurt yourself with the shin splints and stuff like. Uphill is hard and you're able to. And I talked to myself and I'm like, so you're such a loser, Like why'd you do that? What'd you do with the mail box?
Speaker 1: Such a David Goggins thing to do, is it?
Speaker 2: Does he talk to himself?
Speaker 1: He says a little worse things to himself to motivate himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and it's all I'm venting it out. I'm like, you stupid piece of crap, Like, why'd you do that?
Speaker 1: Like what this doesn't sound healthy song? Nothing that you're telling me?
Speaker 2: Well, you got to get it out. You gotta get in whatever works for you. I guess you gotta get it out, you know. I'm being honest with myself, like you could have done better. Why'd you do that, what'd you take that shortcut?
Speaker 1: You also tell yourself it's okay. Would I try to talk to myself like I would talk to four year old me or five year old me. I would never say stuff like that to a kid.
Speaker 2: This is the first part. Remember, it's like you are structure. It's a three x short shirt. Three parts. Okay, the beginning, right, it's like you got to keep going, man, come on, you gotta run, you gotta run, you gotta do it. Get to the first mile, get there, like, see you made the first mile, right, It's like, but I want to quit. It's like two versions of me. There's this like loser version of me, right, and then there's like the varsity like team captain version of me. And they start talking to themselves right in a healthy way. It's like, you know, I ran yesterday. I did six seven miles yesterday, Like why do I need to do and let's take a break. Then the varsity is like, so what are you gonna do? Go home and just like sit around and mope around and be depressed and feel sorry for yourself. Come on, let's do another amount and see how you feel during that second mile. It's like, is so hard? Amelia.
Speaker 1: Right, you're just like, you don't need to tell me.
Speaker 2: It's so hard, right, and your body's not really warmed up here, so things are starting to creak and you're like, oh, my knees kind of clicking and my back doesn't feel like your body's like trying to prevent you from moving on, right, just like in life. Right, it's like everything that we do, it's like there's some entity that's like, hey, the weather's bad, so you can't do that. You don't know so and so, so you can't do that. It's like you're not in the union, Well how do you do that? All these things that like will try to prevent you. Right, then you get to the second mont, you're like, oh, actually I'm here the rationalizing going, well, you did too, that's a lot. That's enough man. Right, it's so strong, it's like intense, and the Varsity version of me is like, yo, dude, that's just that's JV kind of running. The goal is five miles, just keep going and two and a half you're like halfway there. But then the desire to quit is even stronger at that moment. But then I sit there and I go, well, your goal is five miles, keep going, keep going. It's so hard. Three miles hits and you're like, okay, and now I can quit, right, And then I start increasing the speed. I go like thirty percent faster, right because I'm like, okay, I'm a three miles. If I go super fast and I'm just in pain, I'll forget about it. And then all of a sudden, four miles shows up and that fourth mile you're sitting there, you go, okay, it's a very simple choice. Star. It's like I can just start walking now I'm done. But then if you're done, what was the whole point of the run? Get to the five mile, right? And the five mile is a full sprint, it's just full spint, so it goes by really fast. And then as soon as that five miles is done, because you have a track or you have a watch or you know I watch, or if you're on a treadmill so you can see it, right, and you look at that five mile thing, all of a sudden everything feels like it's going to be okay. If I don't do that run, like all day, I'm this like neurotic mess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how I feel about the gym. If I don't hit the gym. If I don't get a good, solid workout in, that's how I feel like cloudy, not clear minded. I actually saw this TikTok recently that was like, Oh, I'm feeling sad and depressed or I'm just like cloudy, my judgment's off, like I don't know what's wrong with me. And the person goes, well, did you work out today? They go nope. Did you eat well today? They go nope? Did you drink any water? They go nope? Have you journaled, meditator doing anything? They go nope. And it's just this whole list of like things that you could be doing to help better yourself your mental health and not doing any of them, but then still not being sure why you're not feeling your best. You got to take care of yourself. And I agree that's one of those things that like, if I don't hit the gym or if I don't get a workout in, I just do not feel the same for the rest of the day. I just don't feel like as good. I don't have to explain it.
Speaker 2: It's so simple. Yeah, but it is an investment. I mean, with your schedule, it must be really hard to get to the gym.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I have to. I have to get up at five five point thirty to go to the gym or else it's just not going to get done.
Speaker 2: You don't get there, and all day you feel like there's something incomplete.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was living like that for you know, November twenty third, Like I'll never forget the date because that's the day that I just stopped smoking cigarettes. Too, because as when COVID started that first week, it's like, yeah, I think I'll just start smoking because COVID will last for like a couple of weeks, And that was my excuse. And then years later, I'm still smoking. And if I look back at myself from November twenty third and before that, like I even look at pictures, right, I remember, even like talking to you, You're like, yeah, you don't like looking at pictures of yourself, And I was like, I think I told you that. It was because I knew that I was not like my optimal because I was not taking care of myself. I was smoking cigarettes, not sleeping properly, eating crap.
Speaker 1: You look at foes yourself now.
Speaker 2: No I can, oh, yeah, like I don't have a problem with it. Right since November twenty third. You know, I try to run every single day. My diet is totally different. I don't touch cigarettes, right, I sleep very I'm very like sleep hygiene is like a big thing. It's like, you know, I'm religious about like sleeping properly.
Speaker 1: Right and making sure it's cold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think the exercises wipes you out.
Speaker 1: Exercise cold room, don't stare at a phone as you're trying to fall asleep, don't doom scroll TikTok.
Speaker 2: Like I don't watch TV at night. Like I used to like watch a movie and then it turned into another movie, and then it would get me depressed. I'm like, why am I not in that movie? What am I doing wrong?
Speaker 3: Right? So?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean what I love about, you know, this past year, especially with like all the wonderful conversations we had, you know, even this morning, like you know, thinking about coming here and having a conversation with you, I was like, what is the Car Stories podcast done for me on a personal level? Why does it need to continue for me on a personal level? Right? I think all the amazing people that we've met and the conversations, like I don't remember the macro part of it, but I remember these little like micro details that I feel like the tools that I've been missing, you know, and that like my toolbox is filled with this and that, and you know it's like I didn't know I needed like a ten millimeter. Now I have it right.
Speaker 1: Last night, can find it and here it is.
Speaker 2: I'm so appreciative this past year. It's like when I think about, Hey, what are you grateful for, It's like, this podcast is so important for me. We haven't made much money, so just to tell you that, But we don't do it for funey.
Speaker 1: Right, No, we get to have these incredible conversations with people that I've grown from it. I've become a better person. And the feedback from the community, Like I know, people come up to you and people come up to me. They're super appreciative of it and they're thankful that it's there. That we're making these conversations available for people to listen to for free. We're not charging for this stuff. It's cool. It's you know, in a way, it's like having different mentors or learning from people you may idolize, and it's learning. Maybe it's having a different outlook on life or whatever it is. To really help you grow as a person, as a soul, whatever that is. I've found growth in it, so I do enjoyed it too.
Speaker 2: What conversation do you think like sticks with you the most from this past season?
Speaker 1: I maybe because it's more recent. Talking to Jeff Zwart was beautiful and he has such an incredible outlook on life and I can only hope to be half the person that he is. The conversation with Magnus was so strong, and I don't want to like single people out because I've taken away from every single conversation yeah, that we've had, and it's cool to be able to share that with people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think we do need more women on the show. Yeah, So this is it's so hard to find women guests.
Speaker 1: Honestly, a lot has been scheduling because the women we've been talking to and reaching out are just so busy taking over the world, which I'm so happy to see. But they have intense travel schedules, they're racing whatever it is. So we are working actively to get more women on this show. And maybe there's some people that we have overlooked, So please tag us in some posts of some strong influential women. I promise. We've reached out to so many and a lot of it is just scheduling.
Speaker 2: If you had like a all star wish list.
Speaker 1: Michelle Multon, she is an incredible driver and I think she works with the fa now and she used to race Auti Quatro and the Group B Series and she is a huge inspiration. So she she's one for sure amongst so many, Like there's there's a lot of people that a lot of women who I've looked up to who I would like.
Speaker 2: Have we asked her to come on the show.
Speaker 1: No, she's one of those I should. I'm intimidated to reach out because I just I don't know her. I don't know her people. I could try damning her on Instagram, but I don't even think she has a.
Speaker 2: Well, that's something that we talked about of just having the courage right to reach out to people. You know, we're not reaching out to people for likes. We're reaching out to actually go share some lessons with people, right. So I think that's something that you brought up with me, is to just go reach out to people, right And you never know it's like because I you know, I was like, well, why would they come like you know, why are they going to respond to me? But I think we have to just try.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Jen Horsey was also a really good conversation that I was excited about because she's Boston General and it's nice to be able to have those conversations and understand that, you know, women have gone through a lot of the same struggles and it's cool to see generationally that change. But definitely working on having more more women on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Well, this whole podcast thing is not as easy as I thought. Like I thought that we would just sit here for an hour and like talk and everything was going to be okay. But it's a muscle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're also being very selective because we care deeply about the people also listening to this, that we don't want to just put out a random podcast because we can get views or traffic or whatever. Like, we genuinely are doing this because it's something that we're passionate about and we care about and we want to share with people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think that's also what makes it tricky, is like we're constantly asking what can we learn from this person?
Speaker 2: And Yeah, I guess when we were doing it, I didn't understand the impact that this podcast would have for me, right, And I would say it's you know, it's in the top three of like most of the important things I've done in my life. Well, right, because I know that it'll be able to live on. Yeah, you know, And I think there was like huge learning curve, especially with like humility. I thought like, just based off of like our social media right like numbers, like we would just like dominate in the podcast space. But that's not the fact. And it's but it's great because the podcast continues to teach me things. Is that it's not going to happen overnight.
Speaker 1: No success doesn't happen overnight. It takes ten years to be an overnight success. Yeah, I just I don't believe in the overnight success. And if people who do happen to quote unquote have that, they're not likely to keep it because they haven't gone through the struggles in the build up to know what it takes, or or about the people along the way that they've built up that also helped build them up.
Speaker 2: So that's why I'm really proud to be on this journey with you, because you know, you have that philosophy and you're willing to build this right and I think we're aligned on like why we're doing this, and it's pretty awesome, Milia. You know, I had no idea that this was gonna be something that meant so much to me, you know, and you're such a big part of it, you know. So I'm glad that somehow we cross paths again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Yeah, the feeling's definitely mutual. Yeah, So make sure you guys subscribe and comment and like, and if there's guests that you would like for us to have a podcasts that you'd like to see or learn from, like, please tag us or feel free to reach out and any way you can, like let us know, because we're totally open to using this as a platform to also help you guys learn or get to have conversations with people that you may also look up to.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, so cars are We have our Instagram cars What's our.
Speaker 1: Song, car Stories podcast, card.
Speaker 2: Stories Podcast, and our YouTube channel is car Stories Podcast. What else?
Speaker 1: Forget it's car Stories podcast thing every everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and still why what that's funny?
Speaker 1: You don't know this?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Now? You have YouTube, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok.
Speaker 2: And you can download the podcast.
Speaker 1: On iHeartRadio, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Please share, subscribe, comment, leave a review, follow us on our socials. Forward forward oh yeah, sure sure yeah. Forward Forward in an email to your entire family.
Speaker 2: Forward that's right recent. But thank you guys for you know, sticking.
Speaker 1: With us for yeah. Thank you so soon.
Speaker 2: Bye,