Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: Welcome listeners to the third installment of movie Deathmatch. Sometimes the third entry is Goldfinger, and sometimes it's the Rise of Skywalker. We're hoping for the former. My name is Chris Clemic, and today my firm but fair cinematic jurisprudence shall determine which one of a pair of thematically linked movies, each represented by a passionate and highly credentialed advocate, shall be preserved in amber like a mosquito from the Cretaceous not Jurassic period, and which one shall dissolve into vapor like Spider Man's webbing after a period of roughly two hours. That's what Tom Hallen's webhead says in Spider Man Homecoming. Anyway, maybe one of our experts can tell me how canonical that is. Also. I don't know if that varies according to whether the webbing originates from organic or mechanical Webshooters. Because we're all excited about Spider Man brand new day, we're jitting up a rivalry among the two most beloved of the many Spider Man movies, Sam Ramies two thousand and four Blockbuster Spider Man two. No matter what I do, do you love me?
Speaker 3: No matter how hard I try, I love Spider Man.
Speaker 4: It's the ones I love who will always be the ones who pay.
Speaker 3: I can't keep thinking a value. I'm getting married.
Speaker 4: I want my life on my own.
Speaker 3: I'm Spider Man no more.
Speaker 2: And Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman, and Bob Perisketti's animation credits are weird. They're twenty eighteen Oscar Winner into the Spider Verse.
Speaker 3: My name is Males Morales.
Speaker 4: I'm the one and only Spider Man.
Speaker 3: At least this is what I thought. Yeah, you hear the super coolina. You all love this.
Speaker 2: You're like, man, that's impossible. How many more Spider people are there?
Speaker 4: Hey, fellas, this could literally not get any weirder. It can get weirder.
Speaker 2: Okay, Tonight we shall determine for all time which one is the most amazing, the most Spectacular, the most Ultimate, the most web of the most twenty ninety nine. And I know at least one of our passionate and highly credential advocates gets what I'm doing here. So let's meet them now in this corner and the blue trunks and the big glasses representing Spider Man two is a man who, sometime during the first Clinton administration, was bitten by a radioactive film critic and subsequently learned that with great penmanship comes great legibility. He is the longtime editor of Screen Crush and the host of Film Spotting SVU. He is a man who has repeatedly placed his own gastro intestinal and cardiac health on the line to sample movie tie in menus at Denny's. He is the author of the excellent History Opposable Thumbs, How Ciskel and Ebert Changed the Movies Forever, and the imminent History Funny Business, the old school wedding Crashers and knocked Up Virgins who changed comedy Forever. I have no doubt it too is excellent. Comes out October sixth, Most Germaine to Today's About. He is the author of Marvel's Spider Man From Amazing to Spectacular, the definitive comic art collection. He is Matt Singer. Matt, I say unto you.
Speaker 4: Excelsior, excelsior, true believer, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say thwip when I say also acceptable.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yah, it's a greeting conversation as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is an intimate question, Matt, but you're recording. This is to let listeners know from an intimate place. Have you ever abruptly lost your superpowers while swinging among the concrete and steel canyons of New York City.
Speaker 4: Hasn't happened yet, but I'm always on guard that it could happen at a moment's notice. I mean, I think I'm still waiting for the powers to activate. I guess that's the important first step that hasn't happened for me yet, But you know, someday, maybe someday. I do recall one time I was My wife is a public school teacher here in New York City. This is now many years ago. She was a young teacher, and I was a less old and haggard nerd, and I was like a chaperone on a school trip with her, and one of her kids looked at me and said you look like Peter Parker, and I said, thank you so much. That's the greatest compliment I've ever been given.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was the moment I peaked, was being compared to the nerdy pre superhero version, and it's all been downhill from that point.
Speaker 2: Basically, well, we can agree it's your wife, then that's the true superhero, right. I'm the public school teacher doing the lord's work. Welcome Matt and in this corner in the red trunks and the curly hair, representing the twenty eighteen hit, though it was even more embraced by critics than audiences, which is just one of the ways this animated movie was unlike any superhero film that had come before. The film is spider Man into the Spider Verse, and It's champion is my frequent Pop Culture Happy Hour co panelist Daisy Rosario. Daisy is Senior Supervising Producer of Audio at Slate. She has been a featured storyteller on the Moth Radio Hour. She once told me two thousand and one A Space Odyssey is her favorite movie, which speaks to her taste.
Speaker 5: Welcome Daisy, Hey, thanks for having me, Chris, I am excited for a reason. To talk about this movie.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you an intimate question too. Please, have you ever attempted the shoulder touch?
Speaker 5: I mean I think I have, actually, and I just didn't realize that it was called that. You know, I was just trying to be smooth in general.
Speaker 2: Are you willing to share with us what the result was?
Speaker 5: Not good?
Speaker 4: Not good?
Speaker 2: Your Letterbox four Daisy is the previously mentioned two thousand and one A space so far, so good. Odyssey's are very hot right now? Then Paddington too. I am nodding vigorously my agreement. And then like the Mark Web Andrew Garfield Amazing Spider Man saga, it just it just stops after two movies?
Speaker 3: What's it?
Speaker 4: Just?
Speaker 5: Really does? I just get overwhelmed by user interfaces, is really the problem? Like I get excited about something like Letterbox, and I get like, oh, I'm going to rank all of these things, and then it's more clicks than I realize, and I just peter off. So I end up reading a lot more of it and clicking through and checking out other people's lists. But to actually go in and type these things up, I just shut down.
Speaker 2: Well, don't say you're peter off because I feel like you're you're seeing a point to Matt, then if you uh, all right, well you're you're open to having two more you know, slots filled on your letterbox top four. I just want to say to you, that's a knock.
Speaker 4: That's a knock, sure, And Jim Katta that.
Speaker 3: Would be the other.
Speaker 2: Gymnastic skills, karate kills.
Speaker 4: That's close to the skill of gymnastics and the kill of care.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: That makes Jim Kata.
Speaker 2: How is your relationship to Flash Thompson these days, Matt? Is he stopped bullying you now that you're a husband and father in your forties or.
Speaker 4: The amazing thing is I haven't been inside a school in years, and yet he still keeps finding lockers to shove me. And I don't know where he comes up with these things, but you know, I.
Speaker 2: Feel like you should remove them from your home, Eugene.
Speaker 4: One of these days, Eugene is gonna run out of lockers to shove me inside.
Speaker 3: Daisy.
Speaker 2: I was so glad you were willing and available to do this, because the movies we seem to end up discussing on PhH together run More to the Fast and Furious Presents, Hops and Shaw that's true.
Speaker 5: We get action movies Deadpool two, that was a time.
Speaker 2: That was a movie. We did dissect one other unconventional entry into a franchise that started in the early sixties, the James Bond finale No Time to Die, the one where he does eventually find the time. So it makes sense that you are here discussing the movie where Spider Man, or at least a Spider Man, ends up meeting a noble end saving New York City. I think I can say with confidence that Spider Man two and Into the Spider Verse are certainly the best movies you and I have ever had the opportunity to talk about on a podcast.
Speaker 5: I mean, they're both great. I'm excited about this in part because, probably until Into the Spider Verse, Spider Man two was my absolute favorite Spider Man movie. So you know, I've got affection for both. But I'm proud to represent.
Speaker 2: Yes, we look for the hard choices, the questions no one else dare ask, because Matt has a whole book about Spider Man art, so some ione I want to ask you, Daisy, how did your relationship with this character begin? I mean after he descended on a line of webbing in an alley one night and you've lifted his mask up, and you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think he could grow up being a millennial without knowing about Spider Man. And then also, I am a native New Yorker. You may have noticed when the Knicks recently won Nick Time five that people were just dressed like Spider Man all over the city, Like you really has been such a huge part of the identity of the city, at least in my lifetime. And then when the Raymy Spider Man movie started coming out, it really was like just I was the right age to be super enthusiastic about where this idea of superhero movies was going to be going. I was finishing up time at NYU, where I was, you know, attempting a film degree as part of my time there, and I would actually end up reading more Spider Man after that period of time. I certainly don't have the history of the comics the way that Matt is going to, but I do have, you know, some eras that I really enjoy and got to know, So I really just have real affection for the character and have always appreciated as well, like you know, as much as I love comics in general, like these aspects of Spider Man, and how the realness of like Marvel in New York versus DC being in like fictionalized cities. Yeah, Spider Man, of all of the characters, really is the most special to me in that way.
Speaker 2: I have a big, big problem with the apparently canonical idea that Gotham City and Metropolis are like across a bay from.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: They can't stop thinking about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I mean I just always I was like, Gotham is New York, Metropolis is Chicago, Like they can't be close to one another, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all of a sudden and the right there, Like I hate crazy short distance that makes no sense and all it is deeply confusing.
Speaker 2: Matt, do you remember your first individual Spider Man periodical and which number?
Speaker 4: I would have to look up the number? I mean, my obsession with the character predated being able to read. Also, like for me, it began with his appearances on the Electra Company. That was the thing that first captured my imagination. Ironic because then I grew up and turned into this very Peter Parker esque figure, minus the intelligence and the superpowers and the heroism, the bravery, all those sorts of things.
Speaker 5: How's your back though?
Speaker 4: It hurts real bad, So I guess you're right. I have that one too. So I've got two things, glasses and a bad back.
Speaker 2: Lucrative sideline selling photographs of yourself.
Speaker 4: You haven't. Nobody wants them. I keep putting them out there, but nobody's buying them. Nobody's buying them. So for me, it was really I don't know. It's like, it's interesting to try to figure out what does like a two year old, and I've seen it with my own kids. Why do like children just spark to some of these characters, don't I couldn't explain it then, I can't explain it now. But I was absolutely obsessed with Spider Man as a little kid. My parents I don't remember this, but my parents swear that one of my first words after like Mama, Dad, Dad, was memo, which was Spider Man. That was how I referred to Spider Man. That's how early it was. And then yeah, I would once I got a little older, I would. Anytime my mother would need to bring me somewhere, the only thing she would have to do is like, if you're good, I'll buy you a comic book. And that was the way to get me to behave at the grocery store or on errands anywhere we would go. And there's a couple that I really vividly remember. There's one issue that I was just looking up recently, and I do not remember the number, but it's an issue of Spectacular Spider Man, and the cover of it it's like Undead Spider Man and Gwen Stacy like zombified, like rising out of a grave, and the tagline on the cover is Night of the Living Ned, meaning Ned Leads, the supporting Spider Man character who was dead at the time I may still be dead, although he's also the character played in the new movies like the Best Buddy is Ned, so he's you know, no one's ever dead or alive. I guess at this point in comics they exist in both places at once. It's a Schrodinger Spider kind of situation or something. But in any event, that issue, I had no idea who Ned Leads was, and I didn't get the Night of the Living Dead pun. I just thought, this is the most exciting thing and terrifying thing I've ever seen, and I have to read it. And that's the first one I really remember owning and like reading and rereading and trying to make sense of it. And if you go and read it now, it's like, how could like a I don't know, five six year old read this. It wouldn't have made any sense to me, but I didn't really care. I was just like so taken with it.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to thank you both for being really the first two to help us truly stress test this movie deathmatch concept, because our prior to episodes, we did two Spielberg movies made five years apart, two Nolan movies made four years apart. And now we're really getting into a like are we even comparing apples to apples here? You know, we have an animated film and a live action film Sam Raimie versus. I guess I'm gonna ascribe Spider Verse predominantly to Phil Lord and Chris Miller. Phil Lord has a writing credit on it. I think Miller just has a producing credit. You know, these guys are not quite a full generation, but significantly younger than RAMI. You know, their sensibility is totally different. So this is where it gets complicated. So thank you. Let's get into it. So comic book movies had not yet taken over Hollywood when Sam Raimi Spider Man became the biggest hit of two thousand and two. Batman was in limbo after two Nipples and Codpiece forward Joel Schumacher installments, the Tim Burton Superman had collapsed on the Marvel side, We'd had two good Blade movies, Brian Singers, X Men had been a big hit, and then in the summer between the first two, Raymi Spider's Angle's Hulk comes along and sort of confounds audiences by trying some of the same sort of split screen editing techniques evocative of the way comic book panels are laid out on a page that wouldn't really be pulled off successfully until Spider Verse about fifteen years after that. So we had spent all this time starting I guess with the first Donner Superman in seventy eight, trying to achieve the dream of photo realism of a superpowered being. And I feel like Spider Verse is the moment where we're we're deep enough into this genre that superheroes cinema is just going to yank the wheel back in the other direction. You know, we're going to embrace the graphic, abstract visual language. We're gonna have on screen text boxes and on a monopoetic and that spelled behind me in vivid letters, So thank you for that, Lord and Miller. But attempts to even like sort of replicate on screen the sort of limitations of the four color printing process of the early Marvel comics, where you see individual dots, you know, sometimes instead of solid color. So it's this paradox in Spider Verse where it's one of the most vibrant films ever made, and yet we're trying to recreate visual techniques that resulted from the limitations of printing forty years earlier. So that's just an expression of the difficulty of our challenge tonight, Spider Man two into the Spider Verse. Both amazing, both spectacular, both web of et cetera. Which is greater, which shall endure once the ritual of justice by verbal combat we perform here today is complete. Those are the stakes. That's why this is a movie death match. Are you ready, Matt?
Speaker 4: I'm terrified, but yes, I guess so.
Speaker 2: Good. Good, It's good to be scared, Daisy. Are you ready?
Speaker 5: I am? I am ready?
Speaker 2: Okay. Our opening statements, Matt, I'm gonna start with you because I think you maybe have the more difficult assignment here, and I just want to sort of acknowledge that, just by the nature of the multiversal milieu of Into the Spider Verse, presumably Into the Spider Verse includes the Raymi version of Spider Man, along with every other iteration past and present that could ever exist. So Spider Gwen, Peter, Porker, the Spectacular Spider Ham, They're all part of it. And you're advocating boldly for one specific, finite iteration. So I salute you for taking on that challenge. Tell us why you, as a lifelong Webhead ride for Spider Man two.
Speaker 4: Well, first off, I do want to say that I love Into the Spider Verse, and if you had asked me to argue in favor of that movie as the greatest Spider Man movie of all time, I would have done that happily and with very little difficulty. This is not a case of I'm going to be angrily arguing against Into the Spider Verse, but I will say and I do believe that Into the Spider Verse would not exist without Spider Man two. So one could say that Spider Man two web crawled, so that Into the Spider Verse and many other subsequent superhero movies could run up a wall and then web swing down the canyons of Manhattan. And one of the reasons that I love it is it is this is really a perfect marriage of subject matter and director. And I know a lot about this movie, but to this day, I actually do not know how Sam Raimi, a guy whose highest grossing movie prior to the first Spider Man made just forty eight million dollars, I do not know how he convinced Marvel and Sony to put him in charge of this enormous franchise. But I do know however he did it. I don't think anyone could have done a better job directing that movie at that particular time. And that is because Sam Raimi is the perfect director for Spider Man. And that is because Sam Raimi is a sadist. When you think of Sam Ramy's movies, you think of him torturing people. You'd think of him chasing Bruce Campbell through that cabin in the woods. You think of him blowing up Liam Neeson in Dark Man. You give me a Sam Raimi movie, I will show you him torturing the hero of that movie. That is his passion in life, and Spider Man works best at his most tortured. And that is the secret sauce to every Stan Lee and Steve Ditko story, the fact that nothing ever works out for Peter Parker as long as he is Spider Man. Any good thing that happens to Peter invariably causes a problem for Spider Man, and vice versa. Spider Man's greatest enemy is not Doctor Octopus or the Kingpin or anyone else. It is his double life. It is the finite number of hours in a day that he has to do everything he needs to do as Spider Man and everything he has to do as Peter. And Sam Raymie understands that, and with Spider Man two, he made the movie that captures the essence of that unresolvable dilemma from the very first scene, Bada, you're late, Man, always late.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, mister disease. There was a.
Speaker 2: Disturbance, disturbance, another disturbance. Oh, this is a disturbance with you come on twenty one minutes ago. Incomes order Hamilton, Button and Smith eight extra large deep dish pizzas in eight minutes. I am defaulting on Joe's twenty nine minute guarantee.
Speaker 3: Then not only by.
Speaker 2: Deceiving no money for these pizzas, but I will lose the customer forever to pwizza.
Speaker 7: Ye.
Speaker 3: Look, you are my only hope. All right.
Speaker 2: You have to make it in time, Peter. You're a nice guy, but he's just not dependable.
Speaker 3: This is your last chance.
Speaker 2: You have to go forty two blocks in seven and one half minutes.
Speaker 3: Your ass is fired.
Speaker 4: Cool desperately racing to deliver pizzas at his day job while also trying to save people as Spider Man. That's the whole thing. In the microcosm. He saves a couple kids, it cost Peter Parker his job. That's carried through to the plot with Doctor Octopus, a wonderful Alfred Malina. He is a potential father figure to Peter. He is an antagonist to Spider Man, and it goes right through the whole movie with the subplot of Peter temporarily choosing to abandon his role as Spider Man and embrace this ordinary life that he thinks he deserves, and then grappling with the fallout of that decision. And that is to say nothing about all of the amazing craft in this movie. The visual effects the score, the costume design, and yes, Sam Raimi's direction, which is so tender in the scenes between Peter Parker and Kirsten Duns Mary Jane. And then it is, yes, incredibly sadistic. It is brutal. The operating room sequence with Doctor Octopus's arms, which could be an outtake from an Evil Dead movie.
Speaker 2: We're ready doctor, anybody here takes shop class.
Speaker 4: It's a funny movie, it's exciting, it's a tragedy, and it understands Spider Man at his core. And even more than that, it believes in Spider Man and what he stands for as this icon of power and responsibility. And when you watch the movie you feel that coming through. So for all of those reasons, that is why Spider Man two is the greatest Spider Man movie ever made.
Speaker 2: All Right, very convincing. Thank you, Matt, Daisy. Why is Matt's argument in your mind like Auto Octavius, you know, well intentioned but wrong?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, first of all, I just I have to say, you know, I think Chris, you really set this up accordingly because I I've been given the movie that has all of the stuff. Yeah, but Matt is them has all of the history so if you had given him this movie against anybody, it would have been totally handicapped. So wait to keep it even I appreciate this, I mean personally in general. I just love, love, love love when people take something that is both silly and take it seriously and keep it so human, which has also been part of what has made Spider Man such a magical character for so so long and so relatable. And this movie treats it with such affection and respects the history and the amount of references that there are, but they aren't there as band service only they are all part of the world building. Nothing is wasted in this movie, and it is probably the best, or at least to me, feels like the most accurate Peter Parker that we actually really get to see because we'll get into it, I'm sure, but Toby, as much as I love Spider Man, leaves a bit to be desired, right, And so there is just magic in this movie from minute one, I mean even early in the movie when you find out that the Crispine Peter Parker has died, and the idea of like New York City finding out that their hero has died was like, oh my God, like that hit me so hard, even hits me hard. Now on rewatch, you know.
Speaker 4: We interrupt this broadcast for a special report sad news tonight, the hero known as Spider Man has died after.
Speaker 2: Injuries related to another powerful earthquake in from.
Speaker 5: The Multiple sources are confirming that Peter Parker, a twenty six year old grand.
Speaker 6: Operating, we all have powers of one kind or another, but in our own way, we are all Spider Man, and we're all counting on you.
Speaker 2: They're counting on me, probably not you specifically. I think it's a metaphor.
Speaker 5: Even when it is something that somebody might call him easter egg, you realize later on second watch, third watch, fourth watch, it has purpose.
Speaker 4: There is just.
Speaker 5: Nothing wasted, and yet it is thrilling, It is sweet, it is super funny. It makes you cry. I think I remember when we talked about this in Pop Culture Happy Hour. I think I had counted that I had cried three times or something like that. There is nothing unsatisfying about this movie in any way. And they don't do that by abandoning anything about Spider Man. They do that by completely mining everything that has always made Spider Man awesome. I mean everything about it is just so fun.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 4: I don't know about anyone else here, but when Peter tells Miles he's proud of him, Oh my god, Miles, Spider Wow, Wow, you're doing it after bath?
Speaker 3: I have time, right, I love you.
Speaker 4: I'm so proud of I don't know about you, but I mean, just hearing Spider Man. Can you imagine Spider Man telling you he's proud of you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Would there be anyone better to tell you they're proud of you? I guess maybe a parent, I suppose, But right below that on the list for me would be Spider Man. I mean, that's a good one. I think a lot of Spider Man fans would feel that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's there's a lot of talk about, at least initially, you know, comics were power fantasies aimed at primarily children who didn't have any agency yet or felt weak or felt But yeah, just imagining. I mean, we were all adults when this film came out, but I can imagine being a viewer of Miles's age or younger, and yeah, that that moment with I hadn't even thought about that, but yeah, that must be.
Speaker 5: Very very I mean I think that is part of it too, is like it takes me back to feeling that age right, even more than the other movies make me feel, you know, the age that Peter Parker is supposed to be in them. So I mean, it just it just really has something special. What can you do, guys? This is going to take a while, right, never mind.
Speaker 8: Hey lady, welcome to Cultivating her Space. Join us every Friday as we create space for black women to just be.
Speaker 9: Take a listen to a few of our favorite moments there.
Speaker 3: This slow me down.
Speaker 9: It was like, wait, let's sit with this now, this is uncomfortable. So that when I really began to feel the feelings and not just push them down. Listen to the Cultivating her Space podcast on America's number one podcast network, iHeart. Follow Cultivating her Space and start listening on the free iHeartRadio app today.
Speaker 2: All right, so we have our opening statements, we'll get into our first one round one the movies in their time. In this opening round, we'll discuss how these movies were received when they were new. Spider Man two was two thousand and four second highest grossing film in the United States, significantly behind that year's champ Shrek two just ahead of the Passion of the Christ some other.
Speaker 5: What a time to be alive?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it was a great time for Ip another guy who loves being tortured on screen, true, who directed the Passion of the Christ much I don't know. We already named Brian Singer on this Let's not make it anywhors rushed into theaters just twenty six months after Ramy's first Spider Man. Spider Man who got even stronger reviews than its precursor. John Dykstra, who had won an Academy Award for Best Visual Effects on the original nineteen seventy seven Star Wars, collected his second Oscar for the visual effects on the spider sequel. He will believe a Spider Man can fly or or at least swing great distances. Meanwhile, by the time into the Spider Verse about in twenty eighteen, we were fully a decade into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. We had already had a half dozen live action Spider Man features in the twenty first century, not counting MCU movies like Captain America Civil War and Avengers Infinity War, where the Tom Holland Spider Man is a significant supporting player at this point, the MCU the biggest thing in movies, but even the Sony Spider Man movies regarded as disappointments like Raymy spider Man three or outright failures like The Amazing spider Man two, the Andrew Garfield Mark Web one, they were all huge moneymakers, even the ones we don't like far out grossing even good contemporaneous superhero movies like the Fox x Men series or Batman begins. You know, the Batman doesn't catch up to Spider commercially until the Dark Night, and then at the beginning of the year where into the Spider Verse will will come. At the end, we have Black Panther, which comes out in February, makes a billion dollars, proving that the demand for a black Marvel superhero was there in force. It's interesting to me that Spider Man two was an instant smash and Into the Spider Verse was more of a grower. It grows less than half what another Spider Man adjacent movie, Venom did, released just two months earlier. I mean, it does win an Oscar, it does win Best Animated Feature, and by the time the sequel Across the Spider Verse finally comes along, it more than doubles the domestic box office of the first one, which would tell us that audiences did catch up with it and embrace it.
Speaker 5: Well, nobody really wanted it into the Spider verse. I mean that was the thing. I remember seeing the trailers and people being like, why is this coming out? I mean, you rightly named that Tom Holland had taken over the role in the MCU, but I mean it really was back to back to back, right Like, it makes his first appearance in Civil War that's twenty sixteen, then they put out Homecoming that's twenty seventeen, So it's like there's been all this waiting for him to actually join the MCU, being Marvel's biggest character. And then on top of that, you have the fatigue of the fact that you did have the Andrew Garfield movies not that long before, which felt already like so fast on top of the rainy movies, especially by like Hollywood standards, and then here comes this animated movie that I mean, we all know how amazing it ends up looking, but I do you remember the trailers and being like, what what is this? Who asked for this? What's going on? That seemed to be the prevailing opinion at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I remember being baffled, you know, like I had heard that there was an animated Spider Man movie coming from the Cloudy with the chance of Meatball's guy. Right, but yeah, so it's a comedy, which I mean, yes, and everything else.
Speaker 5: And then it came out and just not people's socks off.
Speaker 2: So you want to learn to be Spider Man? Key teacher, Yes, I can't. Time to swing? Good to do it, double tap jourmy and quip it out again. Okay, where and really you're an actress.
Speaker 3: Where?
Speaker 2: Well, let's start by getting into these two screenplays specifically and Spider Man two original Spider Man screenwriter David Kepp from you know, Jurassic Park and Mission Impossible, all these huge nineties movies. Disclosure Day this year, he does not return. Sony hires Michael Chabon, who had just won the Pulitzer Prize for his magnificent novel The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay, which is in part about a comic book artist. And I see this now as being very similar to when Mario Puzo was hired to write the screenplay for Superman in the seventies, where he's this hot literary figure who turns in this bloated draft that Richard Donner said was completely unusable. There's not a trace of it in the movie, and by most accounts, nothing that Schabon wrote ended up in Spider Man two either. The Spider Man two shooting script is credited to Alvin Sargent, who is an old hand. He had won two screenwriting Oscars for Julia and Ordinary People. He was seventy seven years old when this movie came out. So not the guy who you'd expect to crack Spider Man, right, This is the guy who really understands Peter Parker and his problems. And I think that had they been subtitling the Spider Man movies then the way they are now, this one probably would have been called Spider Man No More. We even quote the John Ramita senior panel from The Amazing Spider Man number fifty. In the shot where Peter hangs it up, we see him walking down the alley and in the foreground his discarded Spider Man costume is in the trash can. So given all that Matt did, did Alvin Sergeant again a man who belongs more to j Jon to Jamison's generation than to Peters, did he write the best Spider Man screenplay?
Speaker 4: I mean a case could and perhaps will right now be made that he did. He and all those names you mentioned. I think David Kep did work on this movie at some point. Also probably and Alfred Goff and Miles Miller from Smallville I know worked on it to I'm sure there's probably other people that whose names have never been revealed or worked on it. These movies, there's always yeah, maybe who knows so, But I do think it is a very well written movie. I think that it's a movie that stands up to rewatching. And one of the things you notice when you rewatch it is just how lovely all the various elements of it play together, the structure of it, and the way that so much of the movie is built around that central dilemma between Peter Parker and Spider Man, that the internal struggle is just everything in the movie is kind of built off of that architecture in a lovely way, including the way that they use Doctor Octopus, making him kind of both a mentor and a villain, making him a figure that Peter Parker in the beginning of the movie can really look up to. He has a life that you think Peter would you know, aspire to have. He's a successful scientist, he's brilliant. He's got a beautiful and supportive wife who's like hanging out with him in his lab, pouring him tea and joking around. And it looks like he's got a pretty cushy setup. Yeah, And what does he say to him in that scene?
Speaker 7: He tells him, Parker, now I remember you, your Connor student tells me you are brilliant. He also tells me a.
Speaker 3: Lazy trying to do better well being.
Speaker 7: Brilliance not enough, young man. You have to work hard. Intelligence is not a privilege, it's a gift, and you use it for the good of mankind.
Speaker 4: Which is another way of saying, with great power comes great responsibility. And a moment later, he starts talking about his work as a scientist, and he's talking about harmonic convergence, and what you have in that scene are harmonic convergences between doctor Octopus's philosophy and the philosophy that Spider Man and Peter Parker live by. And little notes like that are sprinkled throughout the film, and you don't have to be paying attention. But if you are paying attention, you catch that stuff. There's lines like I think it's as if Manvi is the boss at the pizza place, and when he's yelling at Peter Parker, he says, to you, Parker, a promise means nothing. And the entire film is built around the promise he makes to a dead uncle Ben saying you know that he will kind of carry on and be Spider Man, to prove that he's grown and that with great power must come great responsibility. And then the whole element of Mary Jane's subplot in this film and her part of the story. She's appearing on Broadway in the Importance of Being Earnest, a play about double lives. The scene that we see her in in the film Spider Man two, she's in a play. This is a film. It's very confusing. But the line that's said in the scene where Peter finally shows up to watch her.
Speaker 8: Is I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being really good all the time.
Speaker 2: That would be hypocrisy.
Speaker 4: So again you're underlining all of the themes of the movie in this scene. That's also involves, you know, all of the stuff involving the play has there's all kinds of wackiness and Sam Raimi comedy built into that. Bruce Campbell playing the guy who refuses to let Peter into the theater late, but again harmonic convergences and residences with the theme and even just the name of the play, the importance of being earnest. That is like another way of talking about why this movie is good. It is earnest. It believes in Spider Man. This is not a movie that is It's not like the current Marvel product, which is so snarky and ironic, and characters are always like deflating big emotional moments, saying something cute and quippy. And this movie has lots of comedy in it, but it believes so sincerely and so intensely in the Spider Man character and him being a force for good and these ideas being valuable. And I think there was a period I can remember, kind of right before the Tom Holland movies, or maybe at the very beginning of them, where the Raymy Spider Man movies kind of fell out of popularity a little bit. They were starting to see kind of dated Spider Man three wasn't great, and people would say, oh, those movies, they're old fashioned. And I feel like now people again have kind of come around to them, and I think a big reason why. There's a few reasons, but I do think this is one of them, is that it has this kind of timeless love of Spider Man. And it's not cute about it. It's just so you can really feel it. Sam Raimi believes this Mischi goss about this kid wearing a Spider Man mask. He loves it. He believes in it. And I think a lot of the credit should go to the screenplay by Alvin Sargent and whoever else worked by the scenes kind of crafting that and really helping that really come through the film, not just in the direction, but in the writing, the dialogue, the structure.
Speaker 2: Well, it's an excellent point about harmonic convergence, and the scene about going to see the Oscar wild play, the one into the Spider Verse where Miles's parents take him to see Spider Man turn off the Dark. Really, to me, it was beautiful work. That was a little too much, you know, And thank God that Miles is mom is an e our nurse, all right, Daisy, where are you on Spider Man two? Story wise?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't have anything to say an objection to any of those points about Spider Man two. I think that's all absolutely true. I think that's part of what makes that movie really lovely. I mean I have such a visceral memory of how much I enjoyed seeing it when I saw it, like how thrilling it was. And that was after really liking the first one and just immediately being like wow, like I didn't think you could make a sequel that was like so much stronger. I mean, it really was great. I love all of the things that Matt is rightly describing about Spider Man two, for sure.
Speaker 2: Getting into the screenplay of into the Spider Verse where this is I mean credited to Phil Lord and Bob pursqutti, so one of the producers, one of the three directors, but who knows. I mean, most comic book movies are more acts of synthesis than pure adaptation, right, where we're choosing elements from different eras of the character and you know, combining them in a new way. You and I spoke briefly about Supergirl, the current Supergirl, right, which is the rare adaptation of the specific limited comic book series from just a few years ago, right, which is quite unusual. But into the Spider Verse goes beyond even that. So I mean we were meeting the Miles Morales iteration of Spider Man, created in twenty eleven by writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Sarah Picelli. So at the point this movie comes out, this character has only been in the comics for seven years, Yeah, which is fairly unusual. Every other superhero movie we'd seen was about someone who had been around for decades, so we don't only get the familiar superhero origin story arc or Miles is acquiring superpowers, finding a mentor figure in the form of Jake Johnson's wonderful, depressed, divorced, out of shape Peter Parker from yet another dimention. Yes, and they're constantly commenting on his gut rude. And on top of all that, he has to discover that he lives in a in a multiverse and that there are variants of everyone he knows, all the heroes and villains of his own world. And this movie is still under two hours long. Like this is the astonishing feat of economy.
Speaker 5: I forget that all the time, and I'm shocked every time I go to watch it that it is so for all that is.
Speaker 2: Is this the best written Spider Man movie into the Spider verse?
Speaker 5: I do think it is quite the feat And there is just something amazing about as you said, it's under two hours. There is a density there that somehow manages to not be overwhelming. It manages to really just actually bring you in, right. I think they do an incredible job of leaving in the backstory, and instead of it being something that could be off putting because you feel like, oh, I don't know this, they approach it in a way where they're like, look, even if you don't actually know the specifics of Spider Man, let's be real. If you've been alive, you've probably seen something, and they like give you just enough of those references to kind of pull you in and bring you along. It is inviting instead of feeling like homework. And then on top of that, I mean for a movie, and I mean I do think this is part of the screenplay, this is part of what works. But for a movie that is telling you so much, this movie is a mastery of showing and not telling. Like everything is building upon itself. Right, it's an origin story, but it doesn't feel like it's dwelling in that even as you're completely aware the entire time that you're in an origin story. I mean, that was one of the major conversations around comics movies for a while, was like, Okay, well, they're going to bring out a new character that first movie is gonna have to be an origin story. Are we all going to suffer through the origin story? And even though this is an origin story and that is referenced in the movie itself, it doesn't feel that way. It doesn't feel weighty in that way of like, well, first I just got to get through this like information. I gotta get this backstory so that later there can actually be a story that has heart and steaks and all of that good stuff. No, it's all here. I also think that the characterization of you know, Miles is supposed to be in junior high, and he feels like a very believable, very smart, capable New York junior high kid.
Speaker 3: That's weird. My pants shrink.
Speaker 2: I think I hit puberty.
Speaker 5: But I mean they make jokes about puberty, but the actual like big feelings and the fact that he's reacting to so many things. Doesn't just feel like it's something that is happening because he's in a movie and they need him to react to them. They feel very true to being thirteen, fourteen years old?
Speaker 4: Wait, why is the voice in my.
Speaker 2: Head so loud?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: Oh? Are you okay? What?
Speaker 3: Why am I so sweaty?
Speaker 5: Why are you so sweaty?
Speaker 2: It's a puberty thing.
Speaker 5: I don't know why I said that I'm not going through puberty.
Speaker 4: I did, but I'm done.
Speaker 6: I'm a man. I mean.
Speaker 5: It really is just beautifully woven, and you have multiple characters going through really satisfying arcs that all feel very true for where they are in their lives, for where they are in this adventure, and for you know, if you are a fan of Spider Man, whether it's from the Ramie movies, or whether it's from reading the comics for years, or even if it's from seeing Turn Off the Dark, which, weirdly, the whole second act of that show relied on you having seen the first two Rami movies. They did not explain very much. It was not a good show. This actually manages to get all of that in there, and then, like you said, like it's never boring. You laugh, you cry, you really are taken on this adventure, and it's all under two hours. I mean, how could it not be the greatest script and actually achieve all of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I came into this without any prior relation. I mean I was aware that there was a new version of Spider Man in the comics, but I hadn't, you know, unlike Peter Parker, I was introduced to Miles Morales by this movie, and my classical conception of Spider Man was so much what Matt was describing. The guy who's poor. You know, he's in a terrible apartment. You know, Aunt May needs her medicine. You know, he's unlucky in love. And to see that, you know, Miles is he has two loving parents. He's in this magnet school. You know, he has a lot of self confidence. And I was like, wait, I don't know about this, you know can So the fact that the movie does find a way to still make him a vulnerable figure in an underdog pretty quickly is remarkable. And even though we do pick up this multiversal idea in the live action Spider Man movies a few years later with Far from Home, I feel like the closer live action analog to this is Deadpool and Wolverine, right, which I mean was a massive hit and a lot of people like it, and a lot of people find it insufferable, right because it's so self impressed and so self referential, And how is this not that? You know, like, even people who aren't wild about Into the Spider Verse, the objection I hear more is it's just sensory overload. It's too much to take in. No one says like it's too impressed with itself, it's too winky winky. It has that, you know, just that that Ryan Rend's quality that I'm sure that's a screen persona that Reynolds has decided to cultivate and lean into. But this doesn't have any any of that. This is for such a self aware movie. It is still tremendously emotional, and I don't know how they pulled that off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think to even speak to Matt's point about Spider Man two and like you can feel that there is a love for Spider Man and the character in the movie, I think that similarly, the Into the Spider Verse has a love for not only the individual character Spider Man, but what Spider Man has meant to people and why and why for so long, and how that character is different than those other big heroes that come from these different, unrelatable backgrounds. Right, it really is celebrating that, and not just in the sense of like, yes, diversity, because it was twenty eighteen, and yes, we were like a year and a half into Trump's first presidency, even though when they started making the movie that is probably not where they.
Speaker 4: Thought would be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it doesn't feel like those things are done to be shoehorned. It feels like it is done with the e towards like, Wow, this is one of the things that really became special about this character over time, and we're going to lean into celebrating that. And I think that when you come to something with that desire to actually like celebrate it and share it as opposed to just making people feel like I see you because you like did the homework, like you know, like that's a whole different way of opening things up to people. So you can't help but feel that it is welcoming.
Speaker 4: I mean, as foolish as it would be to compliment into the Spider Verse, given my role here today, I do think that the Chris, the answer to your question is like Deadpool and Wolverine is just using the multiverse as an excuse to throw these two actors together, throw a lot of jokes together, Easter eggs for the sake of Easter eggs. Like it is really just the shameless excuse to create this movie in the first place. And what in the Spider Verse does so well is that it uses I mean, the multiverse here is an essential element of what this film is about and what it is saying. Another thing that makes Spider Man such a I think a reason that he does resonate in every form with people is again getting back to how frankly miserable he is as a person. Part of that is his loneliness. He is a lonely character, and I think a lot of certainly not me, I would have never felt this way as a thirteen year old boy, but would have been like feeling lonely and feeling like nobody understands you, and you're a weirdo, you're a nerd, you're a deep you're different, and you know that you're just lonely. And one of the beautiful things about into the Spider Verse is it uses that as kind of one of the most important themes of the movie. Over and over, when the characters, the Spider Men slash women slash Hams, introduce themselves, you know, they're always saying, I'm the one and the only Spider Man. That's how it begins. For the last however many years, I was the one and the only Spider Man. And then when Miles first meets the Peter Parker, the chris Pine Spider Man, the thing that he says to him is there, like me. I thought I was the only one.
Speaker 3: You're like me.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be. I don't think you have a choice, kid up.
Speaker 4: And that is the thing that every lonely comic book nerd, certainly, not me, but others, I suppose. I guess I'm not speaking from personal experience, but that is the thing that every comic book nerd thinks when they're or thought me when me, when I was in high school and comic books were not popular, and they were not big movies, and reading a comic book was you know, I might as well have put a big kick me sign around my chest if I was to be seen reading one. I hid it from the world. Nobody knew it was my secret shame. And then a new kid moved to school my junior year of high school, and he liked comics and he brought one to school and I was like, you should put that away. You don't understand what you're doing. And he's like, I don't care. I like comics. And I thought to myself, I thought I was the only one. You're like me. And so this sense of community, this sense of building an identity around beliefs and ideas and a love of Spider Man, is what the movie is ultimately about. And so the fact that how do you achieve that well through the multiverse by introducing all these other people who share this common beliefs and love, And that's why people love and admire Spider Verse. And at best they think dead Pool and Wolverine is an acceptable time waster, and at worst they think it is insufferable and annoying and smug.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I watched Deadpool and Wolverine on a plane and I still was like, I maybe like that time back, even if I'm sitting on this plane for a little longer.
Speaker 2: I recall you being higher on Deadpool two than I was.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I was. I mean, I didn't think it was breaking any new ground, but I appreciate its commitment to its own bit. I do appreciate commitment to the bit, but it has to be more than just making the money. But yeah, I mean just agree with everything Matt was just saying. I mean, like, that is it right? Like it is about being welcoming. It is about saying like, yeah, you're a part of it, Like you can be a part of this so easily, and that's part of what's beautiful about it.
Speaker 2: Well, as we come to the end of round one, I am going to score this one for Matt solely, not solely, but largely because of the phrase harmonic convergence, both about the way that doc Ox comments to Peter Parker present the theme of the movie without making it super obvious that they're speaking the theme of the movie, also echoed in the Oscar Wild on Broadway scene, and then what you're saying, now, this was actually a note you cited Matt from into this spider verse where one spider Man tells another, I'm proud of you. So take that away.
Speaker 4: I knew I shouldn't have said that.
Speaker 5: It's really just a point for Matt. It's less a point for Spider Man too.
Speaker 2: That's very very gracious of you. As we move into round two, the movies in our time, where we consider what these films have come to represent in the time since they were new, and this is there's there's some overlap with the screenplay category here, but I really want to dig into how each of these films stands in as a representation of Peter Parker or Peter Parker and Miles Morales. And you know, we've talked about this a little bit already, but it is very difficult to think of another fictional character where the screen interpretations have followed as hard upon or even in the case of Spider Verse and Tom Holland overlapped with one another. Yeah, you know, we just have a lot of examples, a lot of things that we can line up next to each other and try to assess which one is the most successful translation from one medium to another. And the way I want to go into this is, Matt, I think you said timeless. You said there was a period where the Raimy movies had fallen a little bit out of favor, and I see that, like they do feel unmoored in time to me, and not just because Spider Man three comes out two months before the first iPhone. I look this up. You know, it doesn't have as pronounced in anachronistic quality as like the Donner Superman where the daily Planet scenes might as well be his girl Friday, or in like the Burton Batman, where it's like it's nineteen eighty nine but it's also nineteen thirty nine and people are wearing fedoras on the sidewalk. But there is a like without making it a big design element. It does not feel like it's commenting specifically on two thousand and four. You know, it feels like this is an adult who is expressing his fondness for the initial lead Ditko era of this character from almost forty years ago. Do you see that as a strength?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Absolutely, And I think that the movie has aged really well. One of the things I am curious about is how well will into the Spider verse age. I mean, I think it still plays wonderfully right now. It is also, I would think, undeniably a cooler movie than Spider Man two. But cool does not always age well. Sometimes cool in one era can curdle over time, and I do wonder in twenty years how will it look. I don't know, it's an interesting thing to think about. It feels like Spider Man two and really all the Raymie Spider Man movies have already kind of gone through a cycle of them looking very kind of old fashioned and hokey, and that I feel like as people have seemingly gotten a little tired of the Marvel cinematic universe. You know, I still enjoy a lot of their movies, but the complaint that I hear from people who are not pathetic nerds like me are often that the movies all feel the same, they have this same kind of arch tone. And so the more that you hear that complaint, the more that the Raymy Spider Man movies they kind of hit better because it's like, you can they almost seem like an alternative to that. They come from a time before people felt like they needed to be making quips about how silly everything is, or is that really what you're gonna wear? Is that really your costume? Like that those kind of remarks. It would have been interesting if they were made just a few years later. To your point, Chris and Spider Man had a iPhone or something. You know, there are scenes involving payphones in this movie, and I suppose in some ways that dates them, but I don't know. I think that honestly, the first Spider Man movie is much more dated and kind of time stamped. It still has a timeless quality, but it is more time stamped than Spider Man two. The soundtrack is incredibly like nickelback heavy, really and you know, and some of the costuming feels very you know, like do the women all need to have bear mid drifts and tight shirts? And it feels much more like in that movie because it was the first Because, as we said, Sam Raimi was a guy whose biggest movie was like a fifty million dollar film. He didn't have the juice to do whatever he wanted. And there were some things like the soundtrack, like Kirsten Dunk's attire, where clearly the producers or the studio were like, this needs to be cool again. We got this is a movie for kids, We got to make this thing cool. And you can see the first movie was so successful that on Spider Man two they were like, you can do whatever you want. And the costuming has not dated. The music is much more kind of focused on the score, and it just it has a much more of a pleasantly timeless quality, all of this stuff in the Daily Bugle with j Jonah James and that could you know it's his girl Friday. You know, it's it's something out of a totally different era, but in a good way. It doesn't feel like it's tied to two thousand and four or anything. It just it feels like a distilled essence of Spider Man, you know, brought to the screen in live action. And I think that is the thing that I love about it when I watch it today.
Speaker 2: Well, and I mean to your point about how what's cool and one era will date that much faster. I mean, these movies, these first two Raimi movies are only coming out about a decade after the what becomes the Image era right of Marvel, where Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee and Eric Larsen and all these guys. Really I'm going to say, a dreadful era of comics, you know, where everything was extreme and totally the muscles and the guns and the breasts and everything got I mean, always exaggerated in comics, but took on this really like ridiculous kind of distracted quality. And maybe this is part of what goes around with Spider Man three, where apparently it's a avi Arod you know, one of the producers who is pushing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Venom had to be in the movie. Sam Raimi doesn't care about Venom.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: He turns him into a total joke. It's part of the charm of the movie in a way, as they forced him to use this character. And what does he do? You know, like Peter Parker is dancing around like what does Venom do? It turns him into an obnoxious adal Like I do kind of admire the way he turned that demand into something like he did it his way right, he could only do it as a samuraimithing.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I salute Ramy for that, and I just like it. It's still I don't understand how the Venom movies have been so successful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they stink. Look, I will say this though, for all the timeless quality of Spider Man two, this is a movie about the dangers of allowing artificial intelligence to make decisions for us in the form of doc Ock's arms. It is a movie about a scientist being so confident that anything he creates will be beneficial for all mankind, and thus does not stop even when confronted by obvious dangers of their work. So it is timeless, but it still plays pretty well in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: I think this is the moment where I can interject my point of comparison about avi Arod's appearances on the behind the scenes material of these two movies. Like I watched the special features on Spider Man two, and he's I don't know, he's in his fifties or maybe early sixties at that point, and he's just wearing like a normal like golf shirt and just looks like a man of his age, and he's kind of like, well, you know, we couldn't do doc Cock the first time is too complicated, but now we are doing DACA. And then you watch him on the promotional stuff into the Spider Verse fourteen years later, so he's got another fourteen years on him, but he is dressed like Miles Morales. He is wearing like a hoodie and a Spider Man T shirt and he's got like a Spider Man beanie cap on his head, and it is like totally hello, my fellow kids. It's like, you know, this is the Spider Man for today. Is totally hip and contemporary, and it is well, I mean I laughed, I was a used, So maybe maybe he wins. All right, Daisy, let's let's talk about that is there. I don't see anything dated now. I mean, admittedly into the Spider verses only a third as old as Spider Man two is. But I you know, looked at it again the other night. It's seven and a half years later. Now, there wasn't anything about it that seemed you know, a little naive or antiquated or whatever to me. What do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we're only, yeah, like you said, seven and a half years out since the movie came out, So I mean, yeah, to be fair, not as much time has passed, even as it feels like so much more time has passed than that just an life experience. But I was trying to pay particularly a course of attention to aspects of this kind of how do they use technology in the movie, you know, how do they do certain things? And I mean really like the biggest joke in terms of like tech that isn't like tech specifically for the movie is that they don't need to take a monitor with a desktop tower, which actually is really funny and plays well and also was kind of an older reference by the time it even happened in twenty eighteen. You know, Miles has a phone, but it is not something that is like over using plot points, So you know, as things continue to shift there, that's not necessarily going to be an issue. He's an artist who does use spray paint. He does tags on stickers that he sticks around town. That's been going on for decades at this point in terms of how kids tag up the city. So I do think that those aspects of the plot and that presentation of it will be great. The animation itself, as we've acknowledged, is like beautiful and very inventive, and they are calling back to the way that comics were printed back in the day. But that's not all they're doing. I mean, they're also mixing in other aspects, So I think the fact that they'd mixed those, I mean, it was just mind blowing to watch. And you know, when it first came out and when it was released, it was also released in three D, which I tend to forget just because I kind of forget about this whole push that we had on three D for a while. Really it was a beautiful three D experience, but it also still just looks great, and there are some shots where you see that you know, dotted part more, there are some shots where you see kind of a fuzziness more like they lean into all of it, and it's not only the one thing. I do think that, as much as I love the art, if it had been more of one of those than the other, and not so evenly and equally applied throughout the movie in multiple ways, that would be something I'd be worried about how age. But I don't think that that will age poorly, especially if I just think about it compared to like different animation, right, like, yes, you know, we have computer animation now that looks different than hand drawn animation. But the things that were the most stellar of their era, they might look a little older, but they usually still look really good. It's the stuff that they cheeked out on and didn't really take time that doesn't seem to age particularly well in animation. So I mean, visually, there's that I think of anything. The story itself, again is really welcoming of diversity in a way that feels really appropriate for twenty eighteen. But it's not hamphisted. Despite Spider Pig being in the movie that was not intended. I just realized what was happening as it happened.
Speaker 2: Do you float into the air when you smell the delicious past?
Speaker 5: I do? But I think the thing about it that that aspect of the movie that well age is really just more the belief that they would put that much money and time and attention into making a movie with that much diversity, right, Like, the story itself is not the problem. The delivery of the characters. You know, it's not like Miles goes and meets Obama, you know, like, it's not that kind of thing. But there is this heart that is kind of hard to believe. I mean, it's hard to believe that they kind of make anything good now with a big investment, But the idea of something like that getting green liked is probably the part that has aged the least believably right now.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, I mean, I don't really know whether you know Sony image animation, image works or whatever correct sequence of those words is. I don't know if that's a totally separate Basically, are these the people who said yes to this the same people who said yes to Morbius and right Craven the Hunter?
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know I.
Speaker 5: Mean, here we are having you know again, it's twenty twenty six. Here we are having a conversation again about a movie like Supergirl and going like, oh, no, are they gonna now stop making movies with women, because like we're back in that, so, you know. I think the story itself is in its own like timeless. It may not be classic, but it is timeless, and I think that. Yeah, the part that is the most jarring is just realizing that it wasn't that long ago that they were able to make something this crash and beautiful and fun with a character that wasn't just a white guy right at the center.
Speaker 3: I love you, Miles, Yeah, I know, Dad, see you Friday.
Speaker 4: You gotta say I love you back.
Speaker 3: I want to hear it, hear I love you, I love you, Dad, I love you. That's a copy tire shoes please.
Speaker 2: Well we started to kind of segue naturally into this anyway. But the other subcategory that I had for round two was cinematography slash visual effects slash animation. Again trying to compare apples and oranges here, but starting with Spider Man two, this movie looks good, right. The cinematographer is Bill Pope, who had worked on Dark Man and Army of Darkness with Ramy. It just shot stend Helm for him. Last year he did Clueless, He did the first three Matrix movies. He did Scott Pilgrim Versus The World, you know, which is another comic book movie that has kind of an interesting comic bookie visual language doesn't push that to the extent that Spider Verse does, but you certainly see the seeds of it there. And again, like the one Oscar that this movie got was for visual effects, which I think pulled up really well right up until the very end, like this extended shot of him, you know, swinging down the avenue towards danger with these pretty bad looking helicopters in the frame with him and some fire trucks and things, and you know, I'm looking at that and thinking you could just film real helicopters and put Spider Man in there, right, You don't have to digitally animate the whole thing, I don't think. But the thing that I really like among again these these Oscar winning visual effects is apparently most of the time doc Ox tentacles are puppets. I mean, they have to be CGI in some scenes, but they were practical on set puppets for a lot of it. And again, as you pointed out, Matt, that does bring some visual continuity with the Evil Dead, these satanic tree branches, who's whose pov were shown in these much less expensive but very inventive Sam Raimi movies. Why do you think this is the best visual representation of Spider Man live action movie?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, the live action is probably a good qualifier theifer. I think that animation certainly has an edge. It's a lot easier to represent Spider Man's powers and everything he can do in animation, not just because they're drawing the characters, but also you can control the camera in such a more fluid way, and that's something you really you know, like rewatching into the Spider Verse this week, just so awed by not just the movements and the fluidity of all the characters in scenes where there's like five Spider Men all on the screen at the same time, but also how the camera dances with them at the same time. I think is really really beautiful. But I do think Spider Man two holds up very well visually a movie that's twenty years old. I do think some of the visual effects show their age a little bit you mentioned Bill Pope and the movie that some of the images like the CGI reminds me of. I always think of the Matrix Reloaded and the Burly Brawl. There's something about and it's Bill Pope. I don't know if it's him, it's the visual effects, if it's just the time period, something about the like CGI. Human beings in both of those movies always they seem and look and feel very similar. Something about their proportions are a little off. They seem a little like a little squat, a little wide. Maybe they seem a little rubbery. They're just artificial in a way. They don't quite pass the visual test. That said, I do think this movie and the first Sam Raimi Spider Man movie do not get enough credit for what they established in terms of the visual language of Spider Man that continues to be copying in every single movie and beyond. The video games of the Spider Man world are so indebted to the look and feel of those scenes, including the one you mentioned where Spider Man is swinging through a wide avenue with buildings doing all these cool moves. I'm pretty sure it was the Spider Man two video game that was tied to this movie was the first time the game was like an open world game where you could swing around as much as you want and you had objectives and places to go. But also part of the fun of the game was you could just swing around Manhattan and it looked as best as they could make it at the time, and it gave you that feeling of freedom and excitement and fluidity and movement and kinetic energy that the movies have, which you could never get in even the greatest Spider Man comic by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko and John Romita and whoever else. As beautiful as the artwork is, it is inherently a series of static panels and static images, and they can do some amazing and spectacular and web of things to mimic and get as close as they can to movement. They have tricks and brilliant tools that they use to do that, but they can never move. The movement happens in your mind. That's what the reader brings. And the first I mean I can remember seeing as a huge Spider Man dork sitting in the theater watching the first movie and just being kind of blown back in my chair that that's what Spider Man looks like when he swings, and to this day, however, many movies later, they're all kind of cribbing it. It looks cooler and into the Spider Verse, but they are still kind of using the mechanics of it and the idea of it, you know. The end of Into the Spider Verse ends with a final kind of monologue from Miles as he's swinging through New York. It looks amazing. It looks better than Spider Man two. But the idea of concluding a Spider Man movie on that kind of an image and sequence comes from these movies, and that's how they all did it, and they're still doing it to this day, and it is kind of an if it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of thing, And I think Into the Spider Verse maybe iterated on it in a way that, you know, because the tools are just that much better and it does look better now. I think you have to give a certain amount of credit to Spider Man one and two for being so kind of groundbreaking in establishing this language that every single one of these movies since then has continued to use.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry for interrupting, but this seems relevant. I'm seeing here that Elon Musk has posted on x that groc will create a full length, historically accurate Spider Man into the Spider.
Speaker 4: App It's going to that's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: I can't I no more woke Spider Man.
Speaker 4: Better as long as it's still under two hours.
Speaker 2: So I did get to talk to when Into the Spider Verse came out. I did an All Things Considered piece where it was the only time in my entire career where everyone that I asked the interview said yes. So I had this problem that I have never had before since of trying to fit all of these big wigs into a four minute radio piece. So I mean I had that's I actually listened the other night to this like twenty five minute interview that I did with Brian Michael Bendis that is like ten seconds of the radio story. But I did have Peter Ramsey was explaining to me technically to the extent that you know a layperson like me can understand. It was like, why does this movie look so different? What is so unique about the visual palette the animation of Into the Spider Verse. Why does this not look like any other animated movie that I've seen? And one of the things that I'm sure this was much simplified for my benefit, but he said that at least sometimes they were animating twelve frames per second instead of twenty four, which sounds like that would be corner cutting, you know, cost cutting, less work, But I mean it does have this incredible graphic effect. Another thing that's more amusing to me now than it was then, as they said that apparently motion blur was a standard part of the digital animation palette and they just left that out. They didn't do that. So as with your parents' TV, when you turn off motion smoothing, Spider Man cartoons look a lot better. All right, Well, this feels like you know, gilding a radioactive lily here. But so, Daisy, yes, is this the best that Spider Man has ever looked on screen?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think so. But you make some great points about the visuals, and I was already speaking about how I think the animation itself will hold up. But let's talk a little bit about the choices that were made instead, right, and focus on that for right now. So, as you're describing, they made very specific choices in terms of how they did the animation to make it have a different look and feel. It's very layered. I think that that layeredness also really plays well to the idea of being in a multiverse to begin with, right, it makes that much more real and textured. I mean, if anything, that's one of the that's honestly one of the big complaints about the fact that we are being eaten over the head with multiverse movies that show us different places that don't actually look that different from each other. That's not even the focus of the movie, right, We're not really spending time in the other Spider people's worlds. But when those worlds are colliding, the art of what that looks like really feels the most viscerally true to what it might be if all of these overlapping universes were just coming upon each other. And then we can think about the visual representation of the characters right the way they chose to draw them. And again, we have more than one Peter Parker in the movie to begin with. The first Peter Parker that we meet, we only meet him briefly, but it comes across that like he's like a competent, confident Peter Parker who kind of seems to have it together and so much of that just comes across and like in the way they draw him. And then when we finally meet our Peter B. Parker, who we spend the rest of the movie with the Jake Johnson voice one, right, like they look like they could be brothers, but also you can see that he's had a rougher time of it. Yeah, right, Like that aspect of the visual storytelling is also just really beautifully thought out and executed so well. And again like in terms of making so that you don't have to understand everything. I mean, they don't go through the process in the movie of trying to explain to you that Kingpin holds Spider Man responsible for why he doesn't have his wife and son anymore. They don't make an effort to explain that. But visually you can tell that Kingpin is not necessarily supposed to be a good guy, and the type of imposing figure that he is and why he is able to have the effect that he has on the characters in the movie is sold in part by how they choose to show him. Right, Miles looks so realistic and not Uncanny Valley at all at the same time, right, like we are of a similar background we are both black and Puerto Rican. And when I look at just his face and the nose, the brows, all of it, like it feels so real in a way that's just beautiful. And so you see all of those details and they're just so fun and they are already in themselves doing a level of staring. You know, I said earlier that this movie has a lot to tell, but it actually it does. It shows so much. And the way that they chose to animate these characters, the way that they chose to tell the visual story of that also does such incredible work. And you know, we have seen so many Peter Parker's they make reference to all of these and yet the version that I'm following in the movie, I also I believe it. I believe that he makes sense as a Peter Parker, right, Like, so these things really sit with the character in a way that feels really really lovely and true and doesn't just feel like they were drawn like, oh, you know, they should be this kind or that kind. I mean, look at what they do with Spider Ham and Spider Noir. I mean, Spider Noir comes in and it does feel like an entirely different texture is happening, it suddenly feels like you are in a noir film Kenny Parker, I.
Speaker 2: Mean the anime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, anime, And they went more specifically with an anim may style, right, Like, there were actually other Asian characters like Silk that they could have brought in, but they went with something that would diversify the type of animation that they were doing. So just at every stage, I felt like they stayed very true so what the core intention seemed to be, and that just works out in this really beautiful mosaic. But again, further's the storytelling in itself while also being like just visually so pleasing. I mean, it's so so fun to look at.
Speaker 3: My name is Kenny Parker.
Speaker 1: I'm from New York in the year thirty one forty five.
Speaker 5: I have a psychic link with Excider, who lives inside my father's robot, and we're best friends forever.
Speaker 2: It really does kind of confound the work of writing and talking about these movies, because you know, we keep falling back on these cliches to try to describe visuals that we just don't have very good language to describe specifically what we're seeing. But I mean the difficulty of showing us five or six different Spider variants in a frame, and they're each drawn in their own style, and somehow it still reads, you know, it doesn't just look like a like a mess that you can't even process. My favorite visual from this movie, I think is miles like ill fitting store bought Spider Man costume, you know, where the hood is just like draping off of him and it's like not quite fully zipped up in the back and there's like a price tag hanging off of it. And that's contrasted with even the out of shape Jake Johnson Spider Man, who's half wearing sweatpants, he still has half of a a proper Spider Man costume. I'm at some point, after seeing this movie so many times, I do have thoughts like it's probably really hard to draw someone in ill fitting clothes, Like it's probably you know the way that superhero comics traditionally, it just looks like a naked person who has a logo over their chest or something and some different bright colors to indicate that they're wearing clothes. But that's probably really hard to draw, right, Like the drape of a shirt that that's two sizes too big for you.
Speaker 5: Well, and there's also this scurring natural way that they even go into the initial art, like the art from the comics itself. Right, Like you mentioned the artist Sarah Shelley is the one who drew Spider Man. They literally re enact the cover of that first book. I heard Brian Michael bundis like, and it's beautiful, and it isn't something that because of the way the story is being told, feels like they are now going, oh hey, everybody, look at this. Here comes the cover Like it is in and of itself a beautiful storytelling moment and feels completely like a natural transition from what has been happening in previous scenes. I mean, to be able to do that is just a level of mastery that is like so impressive. I just I love when somebody respects their medium and they just really went for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think we kind of look for that now. We look for them to quote famous covers or famous panels visually in comic book movies. I mean to the point that there's that montage and Deadpool and Wolverine where they do it several times in a row and it's like, Okay, too many you know this was funny if you know the first three or whatever. I mean, I remember the surprise of when we see the Kingpin in this movie, it's the Bill san Kevit's like painted Kingpin from a Daredevil graphic novel. It's not even I mean, I know it was. Kingpin is also a villain in Spider Man comics, but that just made me think, Oh God, like, what else am I missing here? Since that's such a specific I was like, there must be ten other of these that I'm not picking up on because I haven't read as many comics in the last fifteen years as I did, you know, between nineteen eighty eight and twenty ten or whenever. But I mean, I did like that feeling of there's more for you to catch up here. You know, you need to lean forward, you need to open your eyes wider.
Speaker 4: You do get the sense at the big final fight when I think it's Scorpion who says to Spider Ham like, what are you some kind of silly cartoon? And Spider Han's responses you got a problem with cartoons. You feel like he's maybe speaking for the people who made this movie and who believe that animation is a art form. Unto itself capable of much more than it is often given credit for or given the space to be. Much like comics, I mean so often comics are you know, were, but still are often kind of dismissed as juvenile and only superheroes and only this disposable thing for children when they are that is what they very often are, But they are quite capable of so much more and have so much more potential that is often unexploited. And that is often true of animated movies as well. But one of the things that I think people you know, really loved about into the Spider Verse is that it shows you just how much you can do with animation in terms of story, in terms of look. I mean, look, I have young kids. We watch a lot of Disney animated movies. A lot of them are wonderful. They all kind of look the same and they all kind of follow a lot of the same stuff. So just the fact that this movie, again using the multiverse as a tool, is able to be like because they're all from different universes, they're all going to be animated differently. It's such a beautiful use of animation that if it's not impossible in live action, it would be incredibly difficult, incredibly cost prohibitive. Here it's just a seamless element and a tool of a broader project. And I think Daisy's talked about how there's so much show don't tell in this film, and I think that is a perfect example of it. Is that you are using a fundamental aspect of this medium you could not you know, Spider Verse was a comic book. There was a comic book called Spider Verse. In concept of lots of Spider Man from other universes, it is like this, but in terms of story it is nothing like this. The story of the original Spider Verse was nothing like this movie. You could not tell this story this way in a comic book. It could only be done in animation. So you have to kind of give it its props for that, right.
Speaker 2: We keep reading about how these have been like the mad Max Fury Road of animated movies or something where animators are just dropping dead at their desks. I mean, I like, I again, I have a very limited understanding of what the pipeline for animated movies is. And I I mean we know that that Pixar movies are years and years of development and revision right, But I mean I wonder, like, is that the main reason for the delay is that just the fact that each character and each it like has to have its own there's no economy of scale, right, you can't apply this to the It's like you have to do as much work as you would for a full animated feature for just one small section of the movie. Maybe well, and.
Speaker 5: There's something to be said, I think for the fact that like they didn't have to do it the way they did it right, Like if I think about the rainy Spider Man movies, for example, I mean, there really was this thing of like, can these comic book movies even work? I think you're sot right Matt about how like you could see some of the stuff in the first one. He definitely had a lot more say in the second one in terms of making certain things happen. But like I was saying earlier, the people weren't like clamoring for an animated Spider Man movie, Like you know, people were not shaking the table going like we need this and you have to get it right. So for them to bring this level of care and attention to it something that just wasn't necessarily even really wanted outside of seemingly sony just expanding their Spider Man footprint is pretty incredible.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, well, so we need to come to an end of round two here and again I am just running up against the great difficulty of setting your comments and opposition to one another. But I'm going to score this round for Daisy. I think on the basis of what you said about just embracing the comic bookie aspects of this rather than shying away from them, I found very very persuasive. So we have a dramatically convenient one to one.
Speaker 6: That's why the.
Speaker 4: Spider games.
Speaker 7: Just like guys.
Speaker 2: As we proceed into round three, the movies for all time, where we consider how these movies echo through eternity iconic moments, let's let's tally up our our iconic moments. I almost want to take like the l train rescue from Spider Man two off the board, since we get that homaged so explicitly in in into the Spider verse. But I can't. So this is just a purely instinctive, subjective kind of throw them out. Matt, I say, Spider Man two, what moments do you think of?
Speaker 4: I mean it's funny, Yes, the train scene was you know, very that was got a lot of attention at the time, and it is really it's a great action sequence, and you know the ending where he's unmasked and the people on the subway.
Speaker 2: Kind of we won't tell nobody missing.
Speaker 4: Right When I think Daisy was talking earlier about Spider Man as this kind of living person in New York City, I really feel like, while he's always been associated with New York, I feel like the Raimie movies and the way that they are kind of these post nine to eleven narratives of resilience in New York City, and the way the new average New Yorkers in those movies are always on Spider Man's side, even when Jay Jonah Jamison is screaming he's a man ass that the no one, the true New Yorkers never buy it, and they're always defending him against the bad guys in these movies. I think is a big reason why you see people dressing up in Spider Man costumes at Nick's parades and things like that from now on. I don't think without those movies and the way that New York is portrayed in them, I'm not sure he would be considered so quintessentially a New Yorker and this like person that people would be dressing up as. If not maybe they would. But that's something I've thought about when I saw a Spider Man hanging out at Nick's celebrations.
Speaker 5: On top of school buses, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and on hanging off of lamp posts and things. To me, though, I love there are so many wonderful little things in in Spider Man two are the things that I always think about. You know, there is a shot in this movie when Peter is thinking about going to see Mary Jane on Broadway and he opens the door to his closet and he has the suit and the Spider Man suit hanging in the closet side by side. I mean that is that one image is Spider Man. You don't need anything else Like that literally sums up the entire the drama, the melo drama, all of it is in that one shot, and I always like it always kind of makes me smile every time I see that image. It's literally a single image. It could be a panel in a comic. It's so great. I really like we haven't talked a ton about the Peter and Mary Jane's means In Spider Man two, I really really love the chemistry and the connection between Toby maguire and Kirsten Dunst. I know they were a couple in real life at some point around the making of the first movie. I know they were not together at the time of this movie, and I almost feel like it gives a little bit of like really pleasant friction to their connection in this film, where you can tell they have a connection, but they also have a lot of like scenes where like she's like, Crapper, get off the pot here, what's going on here? Like she's annoyed with him? And I love that aspect.
Speaker 2: The line is do you love me?
Speaker 5: Matt.
Speaker 2: It's not Crapper, you love the point?
Speaker 8: Do you love me?
Speaker 4: Look, I'm not, I'm not. I know, stan Lee, I'm no Alvin Sargent. What can I say?
Speaker 3: Kiss me, kiss you?
Speaker 5: I need to know something, just one kiss.
Speaker 2: I mean, when Stanley writes it, it's do you love me? Exclamation point, exclamation point, exclamation point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I think of the first Raymie Spider Man as like the really very ditcho Y Spider Man, and I think of the second movie as the very John Ramita Spider Man. That's the one where the awkward teen emotions kind of flower into this big romance and melodrama. Mary Jane is now, you know, a beautiful leading lady on Broadway and what is this dork doing kind of chasing her around? But it somehow works. So I love all of their scenes. I love the you know, like the detail of her poster, like like her advertising poster is hanging all over New York, so that wherever he goes, no matter what he does, he's always reminded of her. He can't escape this woman that he's tried to like block out. I can't be with her. I have to be Spider Man. And everywhere he goes, it's like that naked gun line. You know, everywhere I look, something reminds me of her, And except in this movie as literal, because her face is staring at him from every construction site and every billboard where they're seeing, Yeah, a beautiful, lovely little touch. And then I guess the last thing I'll throw out as another thing that I just love that really marks it as a Sam ramiish movie is I think Daisy was saying she doesn't love Toby Maguire's Peter Parker Spider Man, and he certainly is not the funniest Spider Man. He's not a great wise cracker. But I think Sam Raimi really played to his strengths in Spider Man two. And I think what he does is he makes the movie around him very funny, and he makes Peter and Toby the butt of every joke. Again, he's a sadist. He loves to torture him. But like you think of the scene where he's hired to take photographs of what turns out to be MJ getting engaged to Jjo and Jamison's son.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, and I just want you all to know that the beautiful miss Mary Jane Watson just agree to marry.
Speaker 5: Me the astronaut.
Speaker 2: Yes, the world's youngest astronaut is astronaut spoiler alert.
Speaker 4: He also becomes a wolf man at one point in the comics, but really that's not important right now.
Speaker 2: Real real, boring, real boring.
Speaker 4: Physical astronaut stuff.
Speaker 2: Of course, I'm glad that that MJ's dumped him, like the moment that Peter just expressed any any reciprocal interest at all, because that guy is, come on, he's an empty spacesuit.
Speaker 4: But I love. In that scene, he is, you know, a tray of appetizers and he reaches out to grab one and someone always grabs the last time, and then a drink comes by on a tray. He's like, oh, a drink, but it's actually like the discarded drink and it's empty. And there almost every scene has a moment where Peter is getting beat up, getting knocked down, falling flat on his face, looking like a fool. And I think that it is the perfect use of Toby maguire as this kind of awkward, somewhat stiff, but very sincere guy. That's how you kind of build a funny Spider Man movie around him fighting with Bruce Campbell in the theater another example we mentioned, Like, all of those scenes I think works so well in a movie that at times is very touching and emotional, like it is also so much funnier than the first Spider Man movie. So I mean, I could go, I could literally just mention a thousand scenes, but I feel like I'm talking way too much, so I'm going to stop now.
Speaker 2: All right, Daisy, your iconic moments from into the Spider Verse.
Speaker 7: What do you got?
Speaker 5: We talked a lot about the visuals and I think you know again, moments like when Miles is fully, truly embracing himself in the beautiful animated shot that reenacts the cover of the first Miles Moralism. Things like that are incredibly memorable. But the other things that stick with me are things that just felt really true about the world, right, Like I love that so many of the jokes feel really right for New York. Right there's the part where right after Miles has met Peter B. Parker for the first time, and he's dragging him along, like they land on the ground and everybody's just still kind of walking around them, and Miles is like, maybe it could go around all right, thanks New York, because they don't, like it's just like it's such a great moment. And even that whole sequence where he's dragging him around, like, you know, it's the kind of joke that in an MCU movie would be played a little differently.
Speaker 7: Looks like a child drenched, like Spider Man dragging a homeless corpse behind a train.
Speaker 5: Then you're like, I believe that a New York cop would actually just be that way, Like that feels right, you know, So I love those aspects of the humor, and then of course you have just how fun those intros are, right every single time they introduce a character, every single one, you know, okay for the last time, just one last time, and then they give you this amazing little bit of backstory that tells you so much, that also pays so much homage and manages to actually get you like caught up. And they're really smart with the pacing of them. Right by the time we get to Spider Ham and Spider mar and Kenny Parker, you know they're doing them across the frames at the same time with the different pace. Like it is both beautiful in its storytelling and incredibly memorable in terms of like, oh what did I learn about that character? Like who was this? You actually have something quick that you can refer back to. It also uses the art of comic books in it, So, I mean, there's just so many incredibly fun moments in this movie. There's he took a bagel. It's so stupid, Like, there's just so many fantastic that guy took a bagel, Like, there's so many fun moments like that in this movie. And I truly do think that, like ultimately, because we are seeing kind of what Peter Parker would be like, you know, just if the story stopped for a minute and you just watched him really get beat up. It just feels like the truest Peter Parker to me, right, Like he is a sad tech, but he's still really funny. But you could see how those jokes are kind of like a deflection and a defense mechanism. But his anxiety and his lack of confidence is real even as his commitment is there. And so the way that they're able to play with that humor and then call back on those lines, right, I mean, it is the way these things call back on each other. I mean, it's tight. It might as well be Shawn of the Dead or they're just like, we basically told you everything that will happen. You did not realize that that's what we were doing, and now all of those things will happen in order. I mean a lot of that happens in into the Spider Verse. So I just think it's like incredibly merrole, both in terms of its place and its characters and its visuals, and then the when you tie them all together, the moments are just they really like pop and stick with you and make you want to make a reference. And then, of course, arguably I think the greatest post credit scene ever, which is the re enactment of a meme. Like somehow they still manage to surprise you by bringing out the Spider Man pointing at each other, which feels even better because you just watch a multiverse Ace movie.
Speaker 2: WHOA what, I'm Spider Man. I need you to come with the heck, I just told you that. Listen, listen, I'm from the future.
Speaker 4: Dare you point at me? You were pointing first, rude to point, you know.
Speaker 5: To pull that kind of Internet humor in twenty eighteen, and for to actually be appropriate and not just excessive. Is let's cherry on top?
Speaker 2: Right there, you're pointing at me right now, Look at your finger different than normal. I didn't want to come out of this missing twenty eighteen Twitter.
Speaker 5: But no, there was a time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was beautiful, all right, very very last point, since this is this is a game of inches here, Matt, are you going to tell me that the stan Lee cameo and Spider Man two is better than the Stanley cameo and into the Spider verse.
Speaker 4: No, that would be foolish to attempt such a thing. I mean, the Spider Man two cameo is a blink and you miss it kind of thing. I mean, it was from before that was like a you know, like a requirement, perhaps literally a contractual requirement. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So No, when they do it in the DC movies, it is where.
Speaker 4: Or in a movie like he had nothing to do with, like Big Hero six, where it's like you didn't create these characters. Doing year stan now the one and into the Spider Verse is vastly superior, especially because it kind of makes fun of Stanley a little bit, which is I think by that point was extremely appropriate to kind of poke fun at his huxtery ness. By that point I was all in favor of it. I really like that scene.
Speaker 2: All right, Daisy, what I don't know, would you like to would you like to graciously suggest that no, no Spider Man took that guy's pizza and is more the Bullpen Bulletin's excelsior essence of Stanley than telling.
Speaker 5: You, well, I mean I would if it really felt like there was some fun, little genisque that we weren't quite grabbing onto. But besides the fact that, I think, you know, like what Matt said about they show him as this little huckster also really feels right. I mean, it's just so funny. So he both is delivering the heart message of the movie right and at the same time they're like kind of making reference to like no refunds, don't mess with this guy's money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to miss him.
Speaker 3: Yeah we were friends. You know, can I return it? If it doesn't fit, It always fits eventually.
Speaker 5: Again, these are some deft hands that made this movie. It really shows that of like it both comes across as like completely loving and also like wink wink, Like, hey, before this guy was the old guy that we all had to pay homage to, like there was some stuff about him that people didn't well and the right.
Speaker 2: Like he took the checks and kind of kept his mouth shut, and you know, Steve did go and for a long time Jack Kirby like famously did not exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the movie pole with so much love to pull that off as well. Fantastic.
Speaker 10: Well, we come to the judgment here, and this is a this is a tough one. This is a real handbringing one. And I want to thank both advocates for the substance and passion of their their scholarship. But to my great surprise, I think tonight.
Speaker 2: The court is going to rule in favor of Matt because only because it is very difficult for me to imagine into the Spider Verse existing, as you said in your opening statement, Matt without the foundation of this sort of very solid type a satisfying superhero movie. It is the best example of the simple version, right, and it probably underserves it too, because that appearance of simplicity is the result of so many good decisions and so much so much hard work and a trial and error process in the form of the first film I love into the Spider Verse, and again, like presumably the entire Raimi Spider cycle is the Spider Verse. But I did not think there was any possible way that, given all those obstacles, that Spider Man two could triumph. And yet that is the court's ruling. I thank you both.
Speaker 5: You know, I've sometimes said that I believe the iPod is a more important vention than the iPhone because we wouldn't have gotten there about it. So I got it. I completely understand in.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty six, give me an iPod with no connectivity at all.
Speaker 4: But I think it's very fair to say that Spider Man two, you know, is the great Peter Parker movie, and it could not be improved upon, And into the Spider versus the great Miles Morales movie, and it could not be improved upon. And we need them both. That's that's the way I feel. To me, there are always one A and one B. And when I said I could have argued the other side, I easily could have. I love both of these movies very much. There is no there's no loser here. There are only winners for us for having both of these incredible movies and our lives and just rewatching them this week for this was like so delightful. I'm just just so happy rewatching Spider Man. What a joy. I hope I feel half this good watching the new one. I don't know if I will, but I hope.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: See, I thought you were spoiling it for us when you were talking about Gwen Stacy zombies and you.
Speaker 4: Know, Night of the Living ned they should have taken that, and that would have been the way to go.
Speaker 2: You New York critics tend to see stuff high are we do down here in the Sticks.
Speaker 4: So I didn't know, not this time, how much.
Speaker 2: Intel you you actually had Matt give us the title of your imminent new book again and anything else you'd like to plug please.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's called Funny Business. It's got a long subtitle that, honestly I sometimes mangled myself, so funny Business. And it's all about the two thousands era of Hollywood comedies, the frat Pack era, if you will. Although the members of the frat Pack hate that name, so don't say it out loud in their presence. They'll get angry. But that's what the book is about. It comes out on October sixth. You can pre order it now. And yeah, I'm still working for screen Crush green crush dot com and I do co host the sister podcast to this one, Film Spotting SVU. We restarted it earlier this year. It's me and Jordan Hoffman talking about streaming movies and it's a lot of fun. I'm really enjoying it. We recorded an episode this morning. I have been talking all day. My voice is so tired.
Speaker 2: Will you ever be released from that bathroom?
Speaker 4: Yes? I've been sitting in this bathroom for eight hours today and I just I'm very tired.
Speaker 2: I prefer to think of us as the secretly Evil Uncle podcast of Film Spotting SVU, rather than the sister podcast Daisy What would you like to plug? Where can listeners find your work?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I work at Slate where I'm working with two shows that I love. One is called Icymi and it's a show about the Internet and Internet culture. Our tagline used to be We're very online, so you don't have to be, but honestly, who among us is not very online these days, So we've really been just trying to keep the Internet fun because frankly, we do deserve it, and that is a good time. Definitely check that out. It comes out twice a week. And then I also work with the long running show Death, Sex, and Money, which used to be a part of WNYC and has since moved over to Slate. And so if you love interesting, strange, real stories from people going deep about their weirdest experiences and feelings, it is beautiful and fun. And we just did an episode called The Dog Detective, and we did another one earlier this year called Death, Snakes and Money, and it's for a show that talks about death and sex and money. It is just really fun. So those are beautiful podcasts that you can check out. And I am very proud to work on them behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I will look for you at the brand New Day screening. Shirley, Shirley, Yeah, will you be coming in costume?
Speaker 5: You know? I always try to, but I have too much hair. It's not easy to get a mask on over the big mound of hair.
Speaker 4: It always fits, events always.
Speaker 5: Fits eventually, but by the end of the movie, like I still got to see out of the ice.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you both for being here. This has been so much fun and the excuse to talk about these movies is welcome. When to invite listeners to join us for our next movie, death Match. When in advance of the September release of Don't Look Back and Anger, the documentary about Oasis' twenty twenty five reunion tour, two of the greatest concert films in history, both from directors who would go on to become critical darlings. Plug In It is the Mandalorian and Grogu star Marty Scorsese and the band in the Last Waltz, How He Shall Forever Be introduced? Yeah, versus Jonathan Demi's Talking Heads concert films stop making sense. Someone will be limping around on Cripple Creek. Someone's house is getting burned down. It'll truly be a case of life during wartime on our next movie, Deathmatch. Movie Deathmatch is produced by Chris Klemick, who is Me, and by Golden Joe Desso. Without Golden Joe, the show wouldn't go. It is executive produced by Adam Kempinar and Sam van Holgren. My quest to find rhyming nicknames for them both is ongoing.