Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to Renee All Day.
Speaker 2: I am Renny Paquett joining me today, DJ reader, what are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? How you feeling good?
Speaker 3: As good as I can't feel. We're in fall training camp, so yeah, it's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course Grave Dave, Grave Digger, Which one is it?
Speaker 3: It's really Grave Dave. But you know the Cincinnati fans are like taking over the little Grave Digger thing. It's not. It's cool. I feed into it. It is what it is. But it started as like a rap name. Oh so it's been Grave Day for a long time, just messing around with the guys, hanging out. So it's just been Grave Dave and we always you know, we caught ourselves the lunch pil crew.
Speaker 2: Soit who else is in this lunch pill This is when I was in Houston with the Texans.
Speaker 3: Is me, Carlos Watkins, Brandon Dunn, and Angela Blaxton. JJ is like an honorary member, but he know he wasn't that's he was a lunch pail guy. Definitely brought his lunch pall to work. But this wasn't more of a power guy. He's more a little bit more for this.
Speaker 2: How literal are we with the lunch pail because you actually just walked in here with your lunch.
Speaker 3: We had two shirts, we got lunch pails, we had at all. That's what I'm saying. So it just worked out.
Speaker 1: I love it. Okay, So a man with nicknames.
Speaker 2: I also was like deep in the feed and saw were you calling yourself barbecue at once?
Speaker 3: Before we start that nickname? But yeah, that's that's that's another one.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I guess DJ just wasn't good enough for people. I don't know. I don't know. In college, that's what you'll find a lot of my college teammates calling me like barbecue or like you'll hear them referring to me barbecue or sauce and all this stuff.
Speaker 1: Sauce just good.
Speaker 3: They're just gonna say it. They just they turned barbecue into another nickname. That's what I'm saying. They just keep them going and I respond to whatever. So they just they got to go. And it's a fun nickname. No I know, you know me if you call me barbecue?
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, great, So I went and deep enough to find it. I feel like when you like go like they're probably connected to the little nugget storry.
Speaker 3: You know it's connected on a couple of docks.
Speaker 1: You gotta find.
Speaker 2: I think it's like when you have a pet and you give them a name and then it's like all of a sudden you're content nothing.
Speaker 3: To do true, And I mean they get it from something. Do you sketch me like a Clemson is a spot called Smoking Pig. You probably catch me there most Thursday through Sundays. I'll be around.
Speaker 1: What's your order?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: I'm from North Carolina, so I'm a pool pork kind of guy, So I'm gonna get a pool pork sandwich. They got this thing called the Sweet Potato Castle, like sweet Potato Christ five super fire product. Best if you ever in South Carolina. Check that out, Go get it for sure?
Speaker 1: Do you cook? Are you a man that likes to You like to man the girl and enjoy.
Speaker 3: I didn't get this big like just hanging out. I like to I like to cook a little bit. I'm getting there. No, I'm good with like the Boston butts, the pool pork, getting there on ribs and stuff. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So talk to me about the Brian. Are you a dry Brian guy? Are you doing a Brian for your meat because.
Speaker 1: I just got a smoker not that long ago, so I dabbled.
Speaker 3: I'm more of a dry Brian guy. I'm not like super huge on like the Brian, just dogginess. I like the drive bron then you know, if you got your sauce you want to do I kind of I'm more on that way.
Speaker 2: I just did chicken and I brined it in the pickle juice.
Speaker 1: Still pickle juice, because apparently that's what Chick fil A does. Let me tell you, is that what they do?
Speaker 2: Apparently Apparently that I don't know, but let me tell you the chicken turned out really good all things considered.
Speaker 3: You you know, the Lord's Chicken is probably probably they don't work on Sundays, so you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was good. Anyways, try it, don't pickle Brian throw it out there. All right, let's talk a little Miles Murphy with you. What are you seeing in Miles Murphy? Talk to me about the kinship with this man.
Speaker 3: First of all, he came from a great university, you know, one of the best out there. I'm a big fan of that place. Super Fast, really explosive man. He's a good player, and to be a young guy. He's got a lot of confidence. But he doesn't talk much. He talks to a group of guys. It's not like he's like awkward and doesn't speak. I don't want to see on his name like that. But he doesn't talk. You know, He's not like overly talking, not super loud. He's a really good rookie, keeps the snacks in the room, things about up. Anything we ask of me, gets it done. So I got no complaints about Miles man. I'm just decided to see what he does throughout the year.
Speaker 1: What's the deal with having so many guys from Clemson here?
Speaker 3: You just want people around winning cultures. You know, we don't got any South Carolina guys here. We had one last year, you know he's gone down.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just creating a winning culture, man. You know, I got a lot of guys from winning programs. I think that's a that's a big thing around certainly just the league and just know just place in general. Just trying to make sure that you know the culture is right and kids know to win game.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. A son never forgets foundation.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about that, what it means to you and what you're looking to accomplish with it.
Speaker 3: First off, it means like the world to me. It's something my dad always said to me. You know, He's just always big on as f as a son never forgets, the son ever forgets. You know, until I got older, I didn't really know what it meant. And then I'd probably say when I lost my dad, I kind of knew, you know, what it meant. Then as I've gotten older and I've had my son in my own, it means the world to me. It's just literally just saying that, like a son never forgets. I'm a I'm a young African American man in this world, and I'm just not going to forget about who took care of me, what's going on, and what ways I can make a positive impact on this world. My dad was educated, so I'm big on education. So we do a lot of things with like back to school drives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and not had to do with the Toast education, a.
Speaker 3: Toast Education Galla and just those type of things, creating resource rooms for kids, you know. I know Sam had started that thing with Hover's covers and I kind of pityback off. That was just something I really wanted to do. Yeah, and getting it started here in Greensboro and back home. I've just done a lot of work with a lot of different programs. It's just kind of cool to have my own now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So your relationship with your dad, you with your son. How much of that do you like get to carry over to your relationships?
Speaker 1: A lot with your son.
Speaker 3: A lot. I would spend a lot of time my dad. I was homeschool till sixth grade, so I was like, I was like with my pops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did well. I guess if he was educata.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we did a lot of work with him and kind of a teacher was he He's a math teacher. And but then he ended up becoming a principal and then retiring, like when I was probably about seven, so second grade, I started homeschool, like probably beginning to second grade, started homeschool and just been with him ever since then. You know, it's crazy because you know, just watching the transformation, my son has a lot of characteristics that my dad. You know, I don't know how it's passed. I don't know how that works. So I don't know how it works. But it's like looking at my pops. When I talk to my son, he's very much like him, Like he's you know, he's on his own, very independent kids. So it's just been fun, you know, having those memories and how close I was with my dad and yeah, my son, you know, he's he's getting there. He's super close with me. But he's also a very independent kid. So it makes me sad sometimes. You know, I'm like a lover. I want to be up under him all the time. I'm like, come on, bro, he's like he's about to be four, but he's not, like he's not that kid that just wants to play with you all day. Yeah, And I feel like sometimes when I have him, he like knows it, Like I get like sad. He'll come over like lean on my leg for a little bit, then dip back out again and like back out of their style. He's like a dad, come on, cheer And I'm like, all right, bro, you got it.
Speaker 2: It is so trippy having a kid and seeing your parents your kid, Like it's like the way genetics work and things that are handed down that like my daughter does things that she would never know that my mom does, and I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Oh their attitudes completely like my son's. I wouldn't say he's mean, but.
Speaker 1: He's he's got a little street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got a little streak to him. But he's super sweet kid, very well mannered, like very like super headstrong though, and it's just like very mean streak that you'll see, Yeah, you'll see it come out and I'll be like, yo, chill and he's like, all right, I got you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, testing you test the waters a little bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, you were a big intimidating man. So yeah, I mean you're a nice man. You're a nice sweet man, but.
Speaker 1: You could have that little streak.
Speaker 2: So you got to get out there and you get a little dirty with it.
Speaker 1: What are you afraid of?
Speaker 3: What am I afraid of?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like I'm jumpy as hell, Like I'm not like scared of anything.
Speaker 1: But not like you. Are you like smart of ghosts? No, you're not afraid of them.
Speaker 3: No. I've been like, you know, not fortunate or anything like that. But I've had like a lot of I think there's got to be good and bad ghosts. So I've had a lot of like family memberis get older and you know what happens you past, and so I feel like I've had like dreams or things like that and just like those type of experiences. But like I don't necessarily feel like I'm scared of But I am jumpy though, like you you get scared me walking down the hall, I'm super jumpy. I'm like very aware of what's going on around me, so you could get me at any time jumping out. So I'm kind of skittish when it comes to that, but like just like scared of something. No, I don't think I'm like like.
Speaker 1: Spiders.
Speaker 3: I got like I don't like the fact that transfers have like fur on them and stuff fool with that, but like not like scared of spiders. Just like you know what I'm saying, I see him outside or anything like that, it's near me, I'm not going to trip out.
Speaker 1: If I'm somewhere a little bit sketchy.
Speaker 2: I do have like that deep rooted fear of like a snake popping up through the toilet.
Speaker 1: Depending on where you could be, Like I think about that sometimes.
Speaker 3: You know what I do worry about now, huh oh me too. That part scares you. The fact that it can just come from a tick is crazy. I know because I spent a lot of times in the woods as a kid, and like you know. Now I'm older, I know to like check yourself. I definitely wasn't doing that.
Speaker 1: Always been like that. Are we just more aware of it now?
Speaker 3: I think, like, I mean, we're adults now, so we probably know what's going on.
Speaker 1: But throw me in the cree.
Speaker 3: Worry about that sometimes? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think about that too.
Speaker 2: My house kind of backs into the woods. Yeah, I think about that too. If I like a cat that hangs outside my dogs.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I'm gonna tell you. I'm also scared of like Rocky and the things he finds. He's very much like he has like an insect sanctuary, like he's got all these things. So he I always got to get out there with him or like his mom or whatever happens like so I always I just some day he's gonna bring back something and I'm and be like, yo, that's not so. Those type of things like worry me a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Saw a video the other day of a little boy in a trampoline chasing his daughter with a live snake, or a sister with a live snake. I don't know what I would do a bit. I'm just gonna go back inside. You guys can sort that out. I cannot interfere in this. I cannot those moments.
Speaker 3: When you got to be super brave as a parent, but you're not not not necessarily sure you're.
Speaker 1: The adult to do it. I have to take care of that.
Speaker 3: Every time I call and there's like a bug in the house and his mom's like, I don't know what to do. I gotta I'm a scare him if I act freaked out, so you gotta talk me into it. That's one of those those moments.
Speaker 1: Always funny to me.
Speaker 2: The power went out of my house and you have to go through a storm cellar to go down to turn it on. My husband's on the road, and I have my daughter with like really little time.
Speaker 3: I'm like, the moment you gotta step up.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was like, you've never seen something never.
Speaker 1: I was absolutely petrified. Okay, little rapid fire with you. Post game. You are.
Speaker 3: Hanging out with my family.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the first thing you do when you walk back to the locker.
Speaker 3: Room Hang up my helmet or hang up my helmet, or just see who's on the ping pong table?
Speaker 1: Oh? Is there a preferred opponent?
Speaker 3: No, I don't have any opponents that I really care to play. I watch all those guys play.
Speaker 1: They play all day hog wait, but you're not playing, you just watch them.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty good. I just don't get to get on because they hog the table.
Speaker 2: They hog it like a sign up the going for that you get to eat one meal for the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: I think we covered some food already. But what's your what's your meal?
Speaker 3: Fried pork chops with macaroni and cheese and greens.
Speaker 1: My man, describe your style?
Speaker 3: Uh? Style of what like my style? Personally? I just described it as DJ. You know, it's just me. I've been kind of the same person my whole life. I like that I haven't really switched up on who I was or what I had going on.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love that childhood putt.
Speaker 3: I had a dog, a couple of bait of fish. Yeah. I had a dog named April and got an older dog named Summer. She's getting old now. It's pretty sad, but I love her to death. But yeah, I had a couple of baby fish. I was pretty good with fish lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little more. We keep that tank clan exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about investing in a new fish tank now, so I'm thinking about it. I'm deeply thinking about it. One of my best friends a big fish guy. I don't know. I don't know if I'm going to salt water fresh water. Saltwater's got cool looking fish, but it's work, right, freshwater fish on this cool a little bit less work, but it depends. Then I also feel bad if I take a saltwater fish and take out the habitat. Sure, I got to think about my mois and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of get stuck between like a rock and harp place because you want the nice colored fish exactly who's going to take?
Speaker 3: But I am giving them a nice home and I'm feeding them. They got to search.
Speaker 1: Living the lap of luxury. Really, they should thank you.
Speaker 3: It's like how people feel with zoos and stuff like, right, it could be nice.
Speaker 1: Do you have a recurring dream?
Speaker 3: I used to have those dreams? Well, everybody has the bathroom dream, right, yeah, okay, I just making sure everybody has that dream. But I used to have those. But no, I don't think I have a recurring dream now. I used to have, like, do you know those dreams, like there's always something you fall off the cliff or something and you oh my god, was happening. It's like minutes of you not being able to wake yourself up and knowing you dreaming that those used to mess me up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those or they'll like going back to school. Those are bad.
Speaker 3: Or like you gotta test or something. You gotta test or something and you like fail it and then the next day is the test, Like I been thinking about this test all week. And yeah.
Speaker 2: So I come from the pro wrestling world, and a lot of pro wrestlers have the dream of their music hitting and they don't have their gear on. Is there a football version of that dream?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, you always wake up if you like, don't set your alarm or something. Yeah, anytime you wake up, you're gonna feel like you later for something. But like that, that dream always got I always had a dream like I'm late for practice or late for a meeting or something like that gets me every time.
Speaker 1: Favorite album beginning to end.
Speaker 3: Mmm, probably Forest Hill Drive twenty fourteen, Forest Hill Draw Cole Okay, yeah that's got bangers. But then yeah, I'm gonna go with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, committed signs, feel Delivered. Okay, a little game called who Said It?
Speaker 1: Okay, you've been on this team for a minute. You know these guys through and through who said.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go out there and fight our balls off for a w.
Speaker 1: Balls off for a w.
Speaker 3: M. Sam Bro Borrow, It does sound like something Joe was saying. I just didn't think the balls off kind of threw me off.
Speaker 2: I was so scared of getting caught. Damn, I have to with that touchdown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he went to wars Mark.
Speaker 3: He didn't go away from him when he seen him in the screen and he goes it's backwards, bros, backwards on the screen.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm not being shisty, but I want some of his plays and he wants some of mine.
Speaker 3: M not being shisty. I want some of his plays and he wants some of them. Mm hmmm, I don't know, Jamar, Yes, yep, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Uh. They're going to have to carry me out of here in a casket.
Speaker 3: Oh Backtaila Taylor Okay, guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Zach Taylor, Okay.
Speaker 2: So I feel like you don't get enough of the flowers that you deserve.
Speaker 3: I feel like the fans do a good job.
Speaker 1: They do a good job, but like I just feel like you deserve all of the love, you know.
Speaker 2: We're big DJ readers fans over here. So instead of me and tweets.
Speaker 3: Okay, we got you some nice we got some nice tweets.
Speaker 1: We got you some nice tweets. You could recite them.
Speaker 3: For everybody, is there? Okay from Matt red Wing victory. Is there a level above all pro DJ readers at it? And I appreciate that, Matt. Then we got my dog Nate D two two zero seven. Dudes got to see DJ reader in his nightmares? I hope so man and South Beach Mamba. That's a dope.
Speaker 1: Twitter hand's actually fire Twitter.
Speaker 3: DJ readers him. By the way, I appreciate you South Beach Mamba. That that's a good name right there. You get that that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: One number one Joe Burrow fan. First of all the ad names crazy. But where should I get my DJ reader tattoo?
Speaker 1: I'll go like like fossip, oh good bye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it might be suspect. Though if he gets crazy over there, it might be like he might just like me a lot, might just be like damn everybody looking at this and be like DJ reader right there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe every my comment dingos problems.
Speaker 3: Besides Borrow, DJ Reader might be the most important player on this team. Hell yeah, I appreciate that. Man. Okay, we got we got Nick Lombardi, NFL n F underscore Lombardi, So it kind of looks like NFL got you. Honestly, DJ readers that really, that's really our.
Speaker 1: Daddy, Johnny DJ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this man saw a run game every day. This wold but no, this is dope. Manpreciate these. I appreciate the good.
Speaker 1: Someone to get a lot of flock Online's not always, but this is nice.
Speaker 3: Get a lot of like big comments. I go into comments after games and stuff, and I see what people say. Sometimes I like to comment back.
Speaker 1: It's hard not to, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I go back and forth. I'm it's all fun and games for me. Though they don't like personally get on my nerves. I'd like to get mess with fans a little bit, get under their skin. They spending all day trying to get onto my skin. So like, I throw a couple of jabs back to be light harder too.
Speaker 1: When you've got like burrow in your Oh.
Speaker 3: No, I definitely don't think I think way too highly myself. Don't think that's that. I got a lot of guys around me who I know, are like really really good players.
Speaker 1: Oh of course no, of course, of course.
Speaker 2: Well I'm glad that these people are showing you some love very much so deserved.
Speaker 1: DJ, you are a delight. Thank you for hanging out with me.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you having me on here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good luck this season.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I almost say you too.
Speaker 3: I did almost say YouTube. It always gives me, you know what, it's me the flights.
Speaker 1: I know, have a good flight?
Speaker 3: You nowhere.
Speaker 2: I fought myself so many times it's walk away, what a loser.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's the thing I used to do, like as a kid, Like you're not talking to adults all the time, so you get used to like adults say something like yeah you too, all right whatever, just trying to get out of there.
Speaker 1: And then the why it's actually happened to me recently I passed them. They go, hey, I go, oh, very good things. How you doing? Just like they didn't ask, they didn't ask. I just threw it out.
Speaker 3: Or the waiter with your food, Yeah, I hope you enjoy your food, like YouTube, like, no, they're not eating.
Speaker 1: I know. We gotta pay attention, you know, stand the talks a little bit, all right, I'll let you go home to your meals. Thank you for hanging out.
Speaker 3: Oh Michael, phone me.